3.1/5 (547 reviews)

About Copa Airlines

Copa Airlines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Copa Airlines?

Original review: Feb. 6, 2023

COPA airlines has to be the greediest and least customer conducive airline ever. Due to the pandemic I had to cancel a flight to Quito. I had a credit for around $500 which I was finally able to apply to a vacation flight from Ft. Lauderdale to Panama City. One must go through COPA personnel to have this credit applied to a flight. When I asked for a flight for around the amount of my credit I was told it was necessary to take the same class – in this case economy one way and business class return (at the time of the original flight I was encouraged to take a business class seat as it was on special offer).

Due to increases the same ticket I purchased two years ago was going to double costing me over $1000 for a simple return flight Ft. Lauderdale to Panama City. It was either pay the extra or lose the original amount. No amount of argument would change this policy. As I was booking the ticket for a friend I thought at least he’ll have a nice return flight. On board he was served a bowl of mixed nuts and a vegetarian sandwich as they had run out of the main course for lunch – so sorry. So much for this ultra expensive flight and nice experience – both my friend and I will be avoiding COPA at all costs in future.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2023

The ground manager/supervisor at Fortaleza Airport made me miss my flight and would not put me in the next flight and he made me buy a new ticket at my own cost. I will never travel with this airline again and I would advise the same to all my family and friends.

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2023

We booked a roundtrip from Atlanta to Lima (CM881 & CM263), and Lima to Atlanta (CM338 & CM880). Both flights included a brief layover in Panama City. We also booked flights from Quito to Lima (Booking No. **, Flights ** and **). This flight also included a brief layover in Panama City. The scheduled itinerary would've had us fly from Quito to Panama City, then from Panama City to Lima, then from Lima back to Panama City, then Panama City to Atlanta. It occurred to us that the flights from Panama City to Lima and Lima back to Panama City might be able to be skipped, so when we entered the Quito airport we spoke with a Copa Airlines desk agent about that possibility.

She worked on the computer with another agent for about 15 minutes and printed our boarding passes only for Quito to Panama city and ASSURED US that we could stay the night in Panama City and board our flight from Panama City to Atlanta in the morning. We stayed the night in Panama City as planned but when we arrived in Panama City airport this morning to board our flight to Atlanta, we were shocked to find that because we didn't board the flight from Lima to Panama City our tickets from Panama City to Atlanta had been cancelled.

We had been given assurances by Copa representatives in the Quito airport the previous day that this would not happen. We spent about an hour talking with Copa representatives in Panama City about this but they were unwilling to help or honor the assurance that we were given in Quito. We were forced to pay a $535 penalty fee to re-instate our cancelled tickets to Atlanta. This is frustrating in the extreme and totally unacceptable given that we sought and were given permission and assurances in Quito that everything was in order.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2023

I had a trip planned to Colombia. Was advised that I had to fill out a MIG form and was unable to accomplish this due to website problems. Was informed that maybe I could fill this out at Panama City, but... United airlines would not allow me to board due to this malfunction. Lost a 15 day preplanned trip with hotel because of this garbage!! My son drove me to the airport of departure and had to come back and get me. NOT acceptable!! This is bad business for countries and other airlines. FIX your problems so you don't ruin trips for people and cause them stress when they are supposed to be having a relaxing time.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2022

We have been at JFK since 1130pm on December 24 and have now missed our flight because the ticket agent could not process our reservation. Our daughter who is now 2.5 years old was attached to my wife to our previous reservation from a year ago. When we saw that my wife could not register online, she called Copa and she was assured that there would not be a problem and the ticket agent would handle it without a problem.

Our flight number was CM288 and was due to leave at 1:24 am to connect through Panamá to Curaçao. At 1:36, after we missed the flight, the ticket agent told us that the supervisor would see us in a few minutes. The supervisor came at 3:22am. After speaking with us for a total of two minutes (I timed it on my watch), Supervisor Angie told us to stand aside while she waits for a follow up phone call. She said there are no flight to take us from Panamá to curaçao so she has to wait for a phone call. It is now 4:34am and we, my wife and 2.5 year old daughter and I, have been sitting on the floor in front of the ticket agents desk for over 4.5 hours. We have not received an apology, an alternative plan, nor even an apology from the supervisor.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2022

CopaAir has the worst customer service, on the ground and in the air. The staff has demonstrated strong preference for Spanish-speaking customer, and the English-speaking crowd had a very hard time understanding airline staff and communicating their needs back to them. One member in our party suffered an elbow injury after the flight crew member mishandled a serving cart. The same flight attendant just continue moving forward without an apology or an inquiry as to the extent of the damage he had caused. Another crew member refused to serve a soda in the back of the cabin - even though he just served a Spanish-speaking customer - redirecting me back to my seat to await for the next soda cart. The bathrooms were filthy and poorly maintained. Stay away from CopaAir, as they don't deserve our business.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2022

I usually don't write reviews but after reading so many bad reviews I thought I would leave mine. Since I've never flown on Copa airlines I was reading reviews I was just curious. Honestly I was very hesitant with flying with this airline. There were many bad reviews. I must say I had a good experience flying from Medellin Colombia to San Jose Costa Rica. Customer service was good at the counter and also the flight was nice and comfortable and the flight attendants took care of everyone with beverages and snacks. Everybody that I dealt with was very courteous.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2022

Copa Airlines, the worst airline I have traveled with, customer service is disgusting, the lack of responsibility towards travelers, who pay their salaries, is nil. I will never travel with this airline again. After the flight is delayed because there is no runway at the Panama airport, they send it to another airport to refuel and finally arrive in Panama more than 3 hours late, and the traveler misses the connection, and the only thing say you is "We are very sorry, I reschedule your connection for the next day, but it is not our problem where you spend the night", and also the luggage never reached the final destination with the passengers, until more than 36 hours after the passenger arrived to its final destination, the luggage finally appears.

The flight starts in Medellín Colombia on November 11 at 1:10 pm, with an itinerary of: Medellín Panama by Copa, Panama, Houston by United Airlines, and Houston, San Diego by United, to arrive on the 11th at 11:55 pm. And we arrived on the 12th at 11:55 pm. 24 hours of total delay and without luggage, which they deliver until Monday the 14th at 6 pm. Disgust of a company, which puts the name of Panama very badly. The entire floor of the airport is very dirty, the security personnel have a very despotic attitude, it seems that one is in a concentration camp, the seats are very very uncomfortable, in short, a very bad experience at that airport and with Copa Airlines.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2022

I had to cancel my flight due to Covid positive results 24hr before the flight. Everything was going well at the beginning when we cancelled the flight/ticket, because we have been informed that they will refund. However, after almost 40 days later I have been informed that CAPA Airlines will not refund. This action is not fair at all.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2022

Flight was 2 1/2 hours delayed, so Copa knew well in advance there were tons of missed connections in Panama City. They didn't have a SINGLE employee at the gate to help passengers, not even a sign telling passengers where to rebook. They have TWO customer "service" people rebooking a huge line of people. Stood in line for FOUR HOURS after being told on 3 different phone calls that Copa couldn't rebook us over the phone, and we had to stand in line. NO LINE FOR BUSINESS CLASS PASSENGERS. Waited for 4 hours, with NO FOOD NOR WATER, only to be told to go to a hotel for 4 days until we could take the next flight out. What a nightmare and I've never seen such an incompetent airline

Copa Airlines Company Information