2. Travel
  3. Airlines

3.9/5 (289 ratings)

About Copa Airlines

Copa Airlines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Copa Airlines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Copa Airlines?

Original review: Aug. 21, 2021

I booked a flight to fly 2020 for 4 people to Cuba & Trinidad. Spent $USD $3512.72. They cancelled - (due to Covid) unable to get refund initially then applied on line - email arrived saying paid and will receive in in 8 weeks and details of credit card last 4 digits & expiry date in the email were incorrect - so re emailed & replied - no response. Did a dispute form. No reply except a logging number.

I finally waited on the phone to be told the refund had been paid & case closed, hello where is my money - I explained that the details had been changed for my credit card & were not mine - I was told "NO way could this happen" so now someone in COPA has stolen my money and put another person's credit details against my flight and stolen my refund. No one will help me. Or give an explanation - I now have no money & can only complain - COPA needs to look into the theft as I'm sure I would not be the only one. STOLEN MONEY & NO HELP FROM COPA Airline in refund department. Susan ** Australia

Original review: July 31, 2021

Purchased 4 roundtrip tickets from SFO - AUA in April 21 for Oct. 21 trip. Notified in July of flight change resulting in a 19 hour earlier departure and a 23 hour layover. Only options were to accept or cancel. Copa only wanted to issue flight credit even though I was eligible for a refund. Selection for a new flight on Copa would have cost more than double my original purchase. Customer service is non-existent and unresponsive. Told I would receive a response to my refund request in 15 days. Nothing. Inquired and was told I would receive a response in another 25 days. Unacceptable. Don't fly Copa Airlines.

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 22, 2021

Copa cancelled my flights offering only overnight stays when the country is quarantining. No refund. They do not answer despite multiple attempts by Expedia to help resolve issue. I will never use Copa again!

Original review: June 22, 2021

After purchasing 2-tickets for a flight from Liberia, Costa Rica to Bogota, Colombia scheduled for 3/18/2020 with a return on 3/21/2020, Copa Airlines cancelled the flights. Thereafter, I filed numerous written and oral requests by calling Copa’s employees in Miami and in Panama to demand a full repayment of my monies ($1,132) paid, which to this day Copa Airlines refuses to repay. Each time I called their offices in Miami and Panama I was given a different story as to when Copa would be refunding my money, which never occurred. Had I known that Copa Airlines has a well documented history of failing to repay customers when Copa cancels a flight I would not have dealt with them and I hope that others will choose not to use Copa’s services. Any stars given to Copa is too much.

Original review: June 3, 2021

I will never ever fly Copa Airlines again. After they changed the return flight of our ticket then a few weeks later canceled our flight altogether and pushed it one day, my friend and I were about ready to cancel the flight and get a refund. But after being told that we would have to REQUEST a refund and wouldn’t just receive one, we didn’t want to run the risk of them denying our refund and keeping our $700 tickets. AND apparently it would take 6 months for us to even receive an answer regarding our refund. So we decided to go.

When we got to the airport, all of the announcements were in Spanish first, check-in was EXTREMELY slow, and the employees didn’t seem to know what they were talking about any time you asked a question. After we checked our bags and finally got on the flight, 20 mins into the flight, they announced that we were having technical difficulties with the plane and that they were turning back to JFK. When we got off and I asked what the problem was, they said that they were having engine malfunctions. ENGINE MALFUNCTIONS! How did they realize that mid-air??? So we get off and while we’re walking to the boarding area, we were told that the next plane was “ready to go!” It wasn’t and we waited another 30 mins to board.

Meanwhile, my friend and I are worried about missing the connecting flight in Panama to Belize City AND the other flight we have scheduled with another airline from Belize City to San Pedro where our hotel is. But they assure us that it will be fine and we receive an email about how our flight in Panama is delayed, so we are temporarily relieved. But then 10 mins after getting on the plane, an employee comes to us and says “you two are going to Belize? Yea, you’re not going to make it there. The plane in Panama is not waiting for any more passengers, they are leaving.” So we ask if they can just put us on another flight in Panama to Belize and they say “Oh Copa only flies to Belize every 4 days.” So we would be stuck in Panama for 4 days! My friend and I are livid, we get off the plane and demand a refund and our checked bags.

After another 10 mins of the employees trying to find us and the other 5 passengers that were also going to Belize another flight (although we’ve made it clear that we want a refund and our checked luggage so we can go home NOW), they tell us and the 5 other passengers that our luggage is on the plane...that just left to Panama. So WE got off the plane but our bags were left on the plane! How did they not take our bags off the plane although 7 passengers in total had to get off because of their mistake! The incompetency was out of this world! I am a photographer and had thousands of dollars of equipment in my bag and another person had cancer medication in his bag. We were told that it could take 1-3 days to get our bag but there was no way to know. I completely lost my mind. How in the hell did they do this??

I then asked about my refund because at this point, we lost our money with the hotel reservation, we lost our money with the next flight from Belize City to San Pedro since we can’t even get to Belize at all now, and we lost the money we spent for Ubers to the airport and the ridiculous amount spent on nasty airport food. But apparently we have to speak to someone on the website to get a refund, there’s no phone number or department in the airport to speak to.

I’m writing this review one day after the incident and I still have yet to receive my bag OR the screwed up itinerary with all of Copa’s changes to our flight. And to make matters worse, when we checked our flight on their My Flights website page, it had the nerve to say the flight to Panama was arriving “On Time”. On time! 2 hours later! Yet it says on time! Copa Airlines is by far the worst airline I have ever flown and the fact that even an employee said that we’d have better luck receiving a refund through our bank than through Copa is extremely telling of their greed and disregard to customer needs. Do nots waste your money on this airline.

Original review: June 1, 2021

Updated on 09/25/2021: I already had one awful experience with Copa and now 4 months later, it's the gift that keeps on giving. They agreed to refund me since everything was their fault (isn't that nice) but it's been 4 months and no refund. I reached out twice to ask WTF, and was told each time that they didn't have what they needed to process my refund. And if I didn't reach out, they never would have told me anything. However, the last exchange was over a routing number that I gave them 2 months ago. You ever get the feeling that you're just being jerked around? Copa Airlines is as trustworthy as a coyote with a mouthful of feathers. Avoid them or get ready for a long ordeal.

Original Review: One star is too high!!! I got turned away one hour before my flight for reasons that are still unclear. They said I had an onward flight to Colombia (I did not) and I needed to show them some paperwork (which I obviously didn't have). And now??? Customer service is useless. No information to share. Might as well have been talking with a picnic table. Avoid this airline!

Original review: March 19, 2021

Very interesting airline... basically we were at the airport 2 hours before our flight and we waited online but by time the line was over it was only an hour and a half before the flight. They didn't let us into the airport and they had military goons at the front blocking the entrance. I've never experienced something like this in America before. We waited even longer... No one even came to talk to us and this was an international flight. In the US if you miss a flight you can go in and rebook but they really locked us out of the airport in a foreign country in 100° weather with us nowhere to go. They didn't even have the courtesy to come talk to us. Then when you called them up they don't even offer a refund or a rebook without a cancellation fee. I hope this company goes bankrupt and all their employees lose their jobs and retirements. Really bad people.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2021

My flight were cancelled for Jan. 1, 2021. I did not receive any notice from COPA about this. I found out by checking the flights and saw they no longer existed on the dates I was flying. The message when I would put my reservation number in the website said to contact COPA, but no one ever answered the phones. I requested reimbursement via their website and have not received ONE DIME. I have called them 3 times, finally got ahold of them, and they put me on hold, give me the run around and tell me to call in a week. I have filed a dispute with my credit card company. When an airlines cancels they must reimburse you. This is unethical.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2021

For the second time Copa cancelled our flights, without email, phone call. We only realized our flights were cancelled when they sent us our boarding pass to print. Not even any intelligent booking appeared on the booking. We called, long wait, no courtesy, no apology no attempt to help or change flights. I own a tourist business in Panama, my advice to all our guests, AVOID COPA.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2020

We purchased 5 confirmed tickets with Copa from Pereira, Colombia to Dallas, Texas for December 28/2020. One week ago we found out that the airline cancelled our tickets without telling us! Nobody called us or emailed or contacted us in any way. They change our reservation to another flight. They simply took our money and cancelled our ticket! I called their customer service and asked for a solution, The phones numbers don't work, the agency told me they simply have no more space in coach, They don't respond for the money!!!

Copa Airlines Company Information