1.28/5
Based on 109 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

120 Copa Airlines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

Was traveling to Panama & got this toll free Copa Airlines phone number 1-888-207-3303. Contact at it & got Cheap Copa airlines flight deals & discounts for my family. I will now always use this number for booking & if you want to get more cheaper tickets you can also get in touch with this number ASAP!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I traveled to Panama from Florida on a direct flight for my brothers wedding. When I arrived, my luggage could not be found. They promised to keep searching and bring to my hotel. Nothing ever arrived that night nor my stay in Panama. All of my belongings gone including my medications. No phone call, follow up, nothing. I had to catch an Uber to the airport and demanded to speak with management. They refused to talk to me and stated they will continue to search for my luggage and need to just wait. Horrible service. All of my belongings gone and the day of the wedding I had to find another dress literally 2 hrs before the wedding. I filed a claim at the airport before coming home and its has been over two months, no phone call, nor response to my claim. The only number to reach them is reservations to purchase tickets and they advised they will send an email to baggage.

I asked for the direct email and was informed they cannot provide to me. Same response I receive every time I call. No phone number for customer service or baggage claim either. All correspondence is via email. The site states a response within 15 days. However, no response to any of my emails and forms I have completed. The is the worst airline to travel with. Customer service is not their number one priority and their baggage department takes no responsibility for their actions. The least they could do is refund me my ticket and the items in my suitcase. Unfortunately, they have not done anything to resolve the issue. I went as far to go to my local airport to talk to someone there and no one at ticket counters nor a baggage claim area. The airport officer informed me they have a lot of customers very upset with this airline and he informed he will never travel with them as he sees the many disappointed customers each day.

Every personnel I talked to including other airline carriers informed me that Agents are only there when a flight arrives or departure for max an hour and then they are gone. What kind of business is this airline running. I do not recommend this airline to anyone and lesson learned it's best to always do carry one when possible. After researching the amount of luggage lost everyday is unreal. Their policy or corporate responsibility is a joke "Mr. Pedro Heilbron - CEO of Copa At Copa Airlines, we take pride in providing all of our passengers with world-class service, the best on-time performance in the region, and access to the most destinations through the Hub of the Americas. We are also proud of our ongoing efforts to ensure that we have a positive impact on society and the environment."

They need to adhere, honor their policy and abide by Code of Ethics they claim on their site. Till this day not one person has ever responded to me to even apologize and provide a response or refund of my items in my suitcase. Very bad customer service, I have notified BBB and all social media to warn people not to travel with this airline. If there were a negative zero rating I could provide, I would gladly do so as rating 1 is not even deserved. Stay away from Copa Airlines!!! No world class service provided.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

On this trip I flew from the USA with tweezers (small regular tweezers) in my carry on, caught a connecting flight in Panama, and then also had the same tweezers on my return trip. The tweezers that were not a previous problem were then taken from me at not the first set of security but the second that I went through on my return flight home. Tweezers are not a restricted item to fly with and therefore I cannot understand why my tweezers were taken after checking them in at two separate check-ins. If this is a restricted item it should be clearly labeled somewhere and not just taken after flying with them many many times on my carry on. I was then lied to by 2 different people in Panama and told that the USA customs does not allow tweezers in.

This is ridiculous and untrue. I asked 2 different customs officers in the USA and they actually laughed at how ridiculous it was. I also asked about the alcohol and water and was told none of it should have been taken. If there is truly a restricted item list to bring into the USA as stated by the staff then it should be given to people. The next issue was that we had food and drinks after we went through security in Dominican Republic airport and we were not told we would have to throw out our water before we got on a connecting flight or we would have drank it and we were forced to throw out the water. The last thing that was taken was 2 bottles of mama Juana liquor that we were told would be able to make it through to the USA on our carry on because it was sealed with a wrapping on it.

This obviously was not the case as they also were taken. The items should not have been sold and it should have been told to us that we would have to go through a separate security prior to reaching the USA when we asked about it and that it would not be allowed into the USA. This is actually my 3rd time flying Copa and previously I did not have issues. To avoid problems in the future there should be a list of restricted items and an advanced warning that a second security would need to be gone through. This would avoid problems and confusion for passengers and make for happier customers on a whole. I have previously been happy with your services but will be considering different airlines in the future before using your airline or recommending it to others in the as I previously have always highly recommended you.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

Never got email alert of return flight, went to flight next day 1:22 am. They charge me 1 way the full price of going & returning, got a seat on the emergency exit, The luggage had 3 kilos over, cannot paid for that, had to throw away the excess. Nasty teller at the counter as well as Supervisor. They Forgot my $5 change. The worst experience ever. I will make my business to issue statements on all social media as well as newspapers. Copa Airlines NEVER < EVER again. I will also promote my experience in all places where they operate.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

Copa Airlines charged me twice for a single ticket change. The Guayaquil Airport staff ran my credit card, then my debit card, and told me their machine wasn't working. Then they decided it was my bank's fault. Then they said I needed to pay in cash. I did. Five days later, the same charge ($380) was extracted from my bank account. This might have been an inadvertent error on Copa's part. However, I have had an extraordinarily difficult time communicating with Customer Service, which has no phone number (some Copa sales representatives-- the only folks you can contact by phone-- claim there are no phones in Customer Service, which seems unlikely) and takes 15 days to respond to every email. When they do respond, it is with information that is vague, or with promises to call (though they never do), or with requests for information I have already sent.

Eventually they told me they couldn't refund my money because my bank was not on their list. I'm still waiting to see if they will send a check to my address, but after 20+ hours of effort on my part, and 2 months of waiting, I'm not optimistic. Advice on next steps would be welcome. If you do use Copa, be aware that if any issues arise with your ticket, you may be stonewalled in your attempts to resolve--particularly if you're hoping for any money back. At a minimum, be prepared for a very frustrating and time-consuming process.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Copa Airlines?

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

I was looking for a ticket so my son could fly to Colombia and surprise my parents, My sister already had a ticket from Washington DC to Colombia with Copa Airlines and I live in NC, so I went to the website and I saw they had the perfect option for me (Raleigh - DC- Colombia) and he was going to be able to meet my sister in DC at the gate and fly to Colombia with her. Copa classify the adults category as 12 years or more, so minors older than 12 years can fly by themselves. Caleb is 14 years old, so their system allowed me to purchase a ticket for him. The flight from Raleigh to DC was Copa operated by United Airlines, but Copa Airlines in any step of the transaction mentioned any restrictions and they actually just allowed me to buy the ticket knowing it was for a 14 year old boy.

After 3 days I received a call from United saying that Caleb was not going to be allowed to fly by himself if he was not 15 years old or older according to their policies, and that they didn't understand why Copa Airlines allowed me to get this ticket knowing his age and their policies. So they suggested I called Copa Airlines, ask them to cancel the United flight and give me another option for Caleb to go to DC.

So I called Copa Airlines asking for help on this matter, and I spoke with 3 different representatives plus what they call a "supervisor" and this is their response: ""Ms Diana, you should have read the "migratory requirements" that says that minors of more than 12 years old can flight ONLY in flights operated by Copa, so to cancel the flight with United that you purchased through our website, you are not only NOT going to receive the refund but you are actually going to have to PAY 360 dollars for the penalties that will be caused by the changes you want to make.""

I was like wow! Not only I'm going to have to drive my son to VA, not get a refund for a ticket he is not going to use because Copa Airlines wasn't clear or said anything about this restrictions, but I'm going to have to pay them for the changes? Holy cow! This is serious!! So I went and read the migratory requirements that they were talking about, because how dare I didn't read the little letters right?... Nothing. there was nothing on those requirements that even mention anything about a minor.

Then they told me... "Oh, what you didn't read were the "terms and conditions". So yes, we can't help you and you are going to have to pay for the ticket your son is not going to use." So I went and read the Terms and conditions, every single little letter in there and... nothing... So they replied: "Oh no! Is not the terms and conditions is the "Transportation contract" what you didn't read Ms Diana," so I went to find the little link, and saw a 60 pages contract, and on 1 of the clauses, on page 15, they mention this weird clause that if any of you read you will not even understand that what they are saying is that minors older than 12 years old can only flight in airplanes operated by Copa.

Seriously? Copa Airlines? You guys are telling me that because I didn't read a 60 pages contract, and a clause that nobody can even understand I'm going to have to pay penalties for a ticket I bought from you guys? When YOUR system allowed me to buy this ticket, when you don't even mention in any step that if the flight wasn't operated by Copa, minors cannot fly without an adult?

What really worries me, is how they treat people, and how it seems like they just train people to act like robots that are only repeating a script over and over again instead of really helping the person. They treat people like they are dumb, like "How could you not read a 60 pages contract" right? And they give you the same answer over and over again, and there's no way you can talk with a manager or someone who can actually look at the case and be flexible and care about their CLIENTS not a stupid protocol. ** Copa Airlines even if you guys don't even care, I will never buy a ticket from you guys ever again.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

On Jul 13 2018 I fly with Copa Airlines to Cali, Colombia. I check in 2 bags, inside one of them I have a inflatable Costume, it was remove. My bag never was check for inspection or I was notified of the withdraw. My intentions are not to receive monetary compensation, it is to stop this unacceptable behavior, overall I have a pleasant fly.

Original review: July 12, 2018

Two points where the staff did not know their own policies from their website: "For connecting flights, unaccompanied minor service is not offered if the minor's itinerary includes a flight that is the last flight of the day at the connection point, unless the flight is the only flight of the day." Clearly stated this is for connecting flights and the concern should be if the connection is missed. Our kids are traveling on a DIRECT flight yet, the staff (3 different people on 3 different phone calls) insisted we had to change our flight (which was the last one of the day) because of this rule. When we pointed out that we did not have a connecting flight, they seemed confused and kept putting us on hold and consulting with their manager before finally realizing they were wrong. One staff member even said the website is wrong.

"The responsible adult must submit the request for the service for the minor without a companion to the airline at least 48 hours before travel or at the time of the reservation through our Sales Offices or Reservation Center." Our kids are travelling alone, we are taking them to the gate and they are being picked up at the gate, calling 24 hrs in advance should be plenty of time to enter the information required and pay for this "service" however one staff member (out of the 3 calls we made) insisted that this rule means the request MUST BE MADE 48 hours in advance and we had to change our ticket because we were calling 24 hrs in advance.

The staff overall seemed very unfamiliar with their own policies, their main concern was for us to change our ticket and charge us $2000 per ticket to make this change (we paid $300 per ticket originally) and when we pointed out they were wrong they would come up with another issue where we had to change our ticket. In the end, it was resolved with the last person when they gave up and said "well our website is wrong so you should be fine."

Original review: July 6, 2018

Please do not waste your time using this airline. This is the worst experience I have ever had!! I often travel and I have used every airline there is. Copa Airlines if the worse. Their customer service is horrible! I booked a trip to Aruba with friends and was unable to fly due to pregnancy and doctors orders. I contacted Copa right away and was told that I could change my ticket at a later date and pay $150 to change the ticket. When it was time to change the ticket I was given wrong information and the runaround by 6 different people from their call center. When I called the call center back to speak with a supervisor I was told that the supervisor was on another call and that I couldn’t hold on the line. After asking the person why couldn’t I speak with the supervisor I was told that the supervisor was still on another call.

After basically almost cursing I was then transferred to a supervisor who did nothing to help or make the problem better. I agreed to pay $214 to change my ticket when I saw a ticket online that was $580 my original ticket was $750 which would have been an even exchange. I was on hold with the supervisor for over an hour with the same results! The supervisor was very rude and left me on hold for over 20 minutes because his “computer needed to be rebooted and not once did he check in on me. I must say that I will never use this airline again!

Original review: May 3, 2018

On a return flight on Copa Airlines from Chile to USA, I was forced by family circumstances to delay my departure. I visited the ticket office in Santiago and requested a change. I had to pay a penalty of US$300 and lose another $160 for premium seats I had already purchased. When I went online to reserve my seats, I was informed that I had also lost all my online privileges and could no longer reserve seats or check in. What kind of airline punishes passengers because they are forced to make a change in their reservations? Copa is not only a mediocre airline at best, but instead of trying to attract new passengers, it rips them off! Needless to say, this was my first and last trip on Copa.

Original review: April 1, 2018

I called Copa to change the return date of two round trip tickets and to add a destination. This incurred a 600 change fee (300 per person). Not even 20 minutes later, I called back because the agent failed to book a connecting flight. Copa demanded an additional 600 change fee again. I looked at Expedia and found that a brand new flight would cost less and there is a 24 hour grace period. I ended up booking with Expedia. Also, the company doesn't email a receipt that includes the change fee for their services. They only show the flight difference. The fees are charged as a lump sump on the credit card. I've attached an image that shows the charges as "pending". This is the first (and last) time I will fly with this airline.

Original review: March 18, 2018

We are writing about a problem we encountered this past week when attempting to travel with COPA to a family reunion in Bluefields Nicaragua. We made our reservations on the phone with a COPA agent on October 19th, 2017. Because we were travelling with our 5 year old, we made the decision to break-up the trip from Boston to Nicaragua with an overnight at an airport hotel in Panama City.

When we booked our flights, the COPA agent never advised us that after a layover in Panama City, we would be required to have the Yellow Fever vaccine in order to fly to Nicaragua. The COPA agent at Logan Airport in Boston who checked us in (on March 10, 2018) also failed to inform us of the Yellow Fever vaccine requirement. It was not until we arrived at the Panama City airport to check in for our flight to Managua (on March 11, 2018) that we were informed by COPA agent that we could not check in, that we would need the YF vaccine and a 10 day quarantine. We were effectively stranded in Panama City with our 5 year old, while the rest of our family was gathered in Nicaragua.

As a result of COPA’s failure to inform us of the YF vaccine requirement for passengers flying from Panama City to Nicaragua, we lost money in COPA flights, domestic flights within Nicaragua, and fees for cancelled/no-shows at hotels in Nicaragua. We incurred significant costs finding room and board in Panama. When we attempted to head home, we were informed that we’d have to pay for new tickets, change fees, and penalties. It is incomprehensible to us that with Panama City being COPA’s hub that it would not be routine to warn all passengers traveling through Panama to Central America of this vaccine requirement. Aside from the incalculable emotional hardship our family was put through due to COPA’s negligence, we are asking COPA to reimburse us for the costs that we incurred, while never reaching our destination.

We have submitted our complaint through the COPA Airlines website and have taken to Twitter with our story to warn others about this YF vaccine requirement, since COPA doesn't seem concerned with informing their passengers about it. Not surprisingly COPA is happy to charge customers for having to change their flights due to the vaccine restrictions and regularly emails customers about frequent flyers programs yet never sends a single email communication regarding the YF vaccine requirement to COPA customers.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

This is the first time that I have flown with Copa Airlines, I was with my 3 year old daughter. We had to get off the airplane in Panama because there was something wrong, a half hour later we took off to Costa Rica but they told some of us that we had missed our connection and we would have to go back to Panama. I had ask them if our luggage would for sure come with us (my mom even called to make sure) and they assured us it would... When I got my tickets they had split me and my daughter apart, I was in the front and my 3 yo daughter was in the back, (not happening) but the lady was kind enough to switch, we got to Panama and had to get off the plane just to get new tickets and again they split my daughter and I apart (seriously)... At this point it was almost 1:00 in the morning. My daughter was crying and the flight attendants were super nice to me and her and tried to help the best they could...

We finally got to our destination and of course OUR LUGGAGE DID NOT ARRIVE! I was furious and they assured the 7 passengers that were on the same flight that our luggage would come the next day... I had NOTHING. No clothes for my daughter, not change of underwear. Nada!! The next day I went back to get my luggage (I had to stay there for 2 extra days because I had no luggage). They only gave me 2 of my suitcase!!! The next day the rest came except for one. Which had all my daughter's medications. They said no one can find it.

At this point I’m livid. And all they could say to me was “why would you put it in the luggage” and I said (yes I yelled) “I didn’t think you guys would lose all my flippin' suitcases!!! And if something happens to my daughter and I don’t have her medications this will not be good for you!" Well I ended up travelling to my locations and guess what, after one 5 days. Yes 5!!! They found my luggage. I’m am now travelling once again with my daughter and Although the flight attendants were absolutely great, I don’t think I’ll travel Copa Airlines again.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

My review is based on the COPA Airlines change policy. I have had to change flights a few times in my life and expect the usual $50 to $100 change fee. Not at COPA. They wanted $275 to change the ticket date plus, even though the ticket price I paid originally was over $50 less than the new fare, because it was a different class they wanted to charge me the difference at $164.

But, this was only on the departure leg. For the return leg, that involved the same situation (the lower price was a different fare class than the original purchase fare class), they did not change that price to the higher one (thankfully though). I understand that most people do not change ticket dates but typically it is not this hard. If this is the start of my trip I can imagine it will only get worse and I will be sure to spread the news of COPA's ineptitude and terrible customer service. I will gladly pay the extra cost in the future to travel on a different airline. At this rate, I could have purchased a first class ticket.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

Lost my bag, somewhere in my transfers from Toronto to Barranquilla, Columbia, got it back 3 days after I got home. The only compensation I have been offered is to wait 15 days to then fill out a request for compensation to a max of three days at $50 a day. Anyone who has travelled knows there's a lot of purchases that are cash/ pesos only. As a result of my lost luggage I had out of pocket expenses of $460 dollars as I had to rent a tux etc for a wedding. If you have no receipts you get nothing. The biggest insult was the constant lies.

Every day I was lead to believe my bag had been found and it would be there the next day. For a international company, I found that I could get no one to speak or understand English in Columbia that worked for Copa. I had to get a the bride to call every day to speak Spanish to get any information, she really didn't need the extra stress. Then when I left and landed in Panama City the first English speaking agent told me they hadn't even found my bag. A very special occasion was Tarnished all due to COPA Airline. Fly any other carrier than COPA. If you're into getting a runaround, getting frustrated by more than 12 Copa reps then go for it, and good luck.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

I took something like 8 flights with Copa Airlines with connections in Panama City, and I would recommend that airline to anybody traveling to South America. You can choose your seat for free, you have free meals and snacks on the plane and the staff speak English. The connection in PTY is really easy (1hr is enough time!), you don't need to pick up your bag and recheck it and the gates are easy to find. And something important, I never experienced a delayed flight with them!

Also, one day before my trip leaving from Montréal to Lima, when I went on the website to do the web check-in, something was wrong with my e-ticket and I was told that my reservation code was not working (it was working before). I got really stressed and didn't know what to do, so I went on the chat to ask someone to help me with that situation. Someone speaking a good English answered me right away and fixed what was wrong (took less than 5 minutes) and I could process to do my web check-in. So, in my opinion, you shouldn't hesitate to book with them (even if they are not always the cheapest).

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

Copa caused me to miss my return flight because my backpack was too big (the same bag/size I used on the original flight). The customer service at the counter and over the phone was incredibly rude and unhelpful. They wanted me to pay another $800 on top of the original $185 that I paid for the flight from Medellin to LAX. Apparently this is a common problem so I will obviously never fly with Copa again. Their prices aren't even that great.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

The greed of Copa Airlines - Please do not fly on Copa Airlines. I want to share a bad experience that I had with Panamanian company Copa Airlines and Orbitz, on February 18, 2017, I bought 6 tickets to travel from Boston to Quito. These tickets were purchased through the company Orbitz, almost 5 months in advance as they were for a pleasure trip that began on July 4, 2017, and ended with our return to Boston on July 27, 2017.

In mid-May I received some bad news from Quito, where I learned that my mother was diagnosed with cancer and they did not give her more than 3 months to live. I immediately bought some tickets and on May 23 flew to Ecuador to be at her side. Two weeks later I returned to the United States because my mother was a little more stable. Unfortunately, a week later I had to return again because it got much worse. This time I ended up staying until July 27.

On July 2, 2017, my mother succumbed to cancer and the rest of my family traveled to Quito on July 4 as scheduled. But as I was already in Quito, in mid-June, I called Copa Airlines to tell them that I was not going to use the first part of the travel ticket since I was already in Ecuador. They told me that I had to call Orbitz, since I had bought my tickets there. I called Orbitz and after 2 calls and 5 hours of talking to them, they just sold me a one way ticket for almost double the money of my regular fair that already owned.

Copa Airlines told Orbitz, if I did not use the first part of my ticket (Boston-Quito) They would cancel the return too. So I was forced to buy a new ticket so I could return to Boston with my family. Not only that I was not allowed to use the return ticket that I already had, but they charged me a fine for canceling the first ticket and switching to a new one, using the same day and flight that I bought more than 5 months in advance.

Orbitz asked me to send a letter from the doctors who took care of my mother and also the death certificate. On my return I put everything together and sent as I was asked, 2 months later after not hearing anything from Orbitz, I called again, they put me on hold for over an hour and when the person came back, he asked me to resend all the paperwork again. All of that just so that days later Copa Airlines said that the death of a parent is not a basis to return any money, including the penalty for the change of flight.

If that is how they treat passengers in domestic calamity, how would they treat others? I will never fly that airline again, I guess I can’t be the only one who has gone through this, but the greed of this airline is worth sharing and asking everyone if they can, not use it in their travels. To add to the insult, they sell tickets offering Wi-Fi and entertainment, the planes are so old that we did not even have Wi-Fi, nor did the ceiling televisions work. Please share this experience and let people know how Copa Airlines treats its passengers and how they make their money. Please help me change these policies that benefit only these airlines and leave customers without resources to do anything.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

On the 28th of September, '17 I tried to buy a ticket via copaair.com from Bogota (BOG) to Panama (PTY) and also from Panama (PTY) to Santo Domingo (SDQ). After filling on my credit card informations to their system I got an e-mail from Copa Airlines with a reservation code. However I couldn't get any e-ticket. I was written in the e-mail that they are going to send me the e-ticket after processing payment issue from my bank. Then I asked to my bank (Garanti Bankas) in Turkey and my bank said me yes the process had done and sent me a confirmation code.

After all I went to an office of Copa Airlines in San Jose, Costa Rica. I explained everything and the lad talked to Copa Center and she said me that Copa will make my refund, the process couldn't be done. So I should to buy a ticket at this office, then I bought. However even I sent all my documents and everything to Copa Airlines e-mail addresses about this issue, they even send me any response neither any apologize nothing. Basically they stole my 882,80$ and I couldn't get any information from Copa Airlines side. You can see attached all my documents.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

The counter people are horrible and misinformed. Worst Airline I ever traveled with. Called customer service. Had loan sharks on the other side instead of help.

My wife and my kids were flying to Miami from Pereira. They showed up to the counter and the counter lady looked at my kids' American passport and said they are 1 day over the stay. Instead of helping by guiding my wife she placed the whole family off the flight... Giving our seats to Bystanding passengers... They had lots of people on standby???

My wife got the 1 day overstayed fixed with Immigration. As she went back to the counter the Supervisor big shot tells her that she was going to miss the flight even though the plane was still loading passengers... "Therefore she had to be placed on the next day flight but there was going to be a 1200.00 to 3000.00 dollar charge".... Got on the phone and Copa or supervisors nowhere to be found. I had to purchased a new ticket through American and my wife was able to make it in the next day. I am suing them!!!

Original review: May 25, 2017

Copa Airlines has now more than doubled their prices for domestic flights here in Panama. It is outrageous that all these airlines are allowed to get away with this price gouging while at the same time making record profits. And to think that some of you actually believe that they appreciate their customers!

Original review: May 11, 2017

We were flying from Lima, Peru to New Orleans with a break/transit in Panama City. We landed in Panama on time, my husband went to the banos/bathroom as he was feeling sick and cold, we had eaten different meals on the flight from Lima. The flight boarded on time and we taxied to some spot and then waited over 30 minutes before moving again. During this waiting my husband had to use the sick bag, there was only one for our two seats. There was no announcement as to why we were waiting to take off even though the plane had boarded on time.

There is an announcement for cabin staff to prepare for takeoff and then we head off. The plane has leveled off but the seat belt sign stays on and lights are off. Twenty five minutes into the flight three people have got up to use the toilet but seatbelt sign still on, no messages in Spanish or English, no turbulence. My husband has now been holding a half full sick bag for around 50 minutes and we don't have a spare. Seatbelt sign eventually off I press the call for the steward, call sign goes off with no help.

On the second try a lady arrives, my husband holds up the bag and asks for water, even saying 'aqua.' I ask for another sick bag. She looks like she has never seen a sick bag in her life and looks at us hopelessly. We repeat, "Water and sick bag please and pass the bag." She disappears, at least she took the bag, but does not return with a spare bag or water. Fifteen minutes later I press the call button again, after about eight minutes a different steward arrives, we ask for water and a sick bag, she doesn't seem to understand sick bag so I opened the pocket to show what was there and mimed throwing up, she nodded returned with a water in a plastic cup (hence a small serve) in about three minutes and came back with two bags after another five.

After half an hour or so my husband was sick again, he really was very discreet and as quiet as possible. I pressed the call button and after ten minutes a steward arrived and we handed over the bag, though the presentation of the bag seemed to perplex and surprise the steward, and asked for water, getting a small cup in about three minutes and another bag dropped in passing about five minutes later.

When the food trolley arrived the steward wouldn't make eye contact with my husband in the window seat and looked to me, I got water for my husband and a drink for me. I wasn't going to risk the food as it was the previous flight that had caused the problem we think. Luckily he wasn't sick again, we made one more call for water, but that was because the two third full cups were not a lot of water.

We're told we will be landing in twenty five minutes. About ten minutes later US customs forms are delivered. Well in my case dropped from over my shoulder behind me by a different steward, it was the Spanish version. I hit the call button, and one of the female stewards nervously comes to my spot, I hold up the form and say, "English please." This seems an unusual request and she rifles through the pile of forms and finds an English one. I can't believe our being English speaking is so difficult since we are about to land in New Orleans!

I feel like the cabin crew are barely trained, surely English for sick bag please while holding a used one is no leap. But most significantly there was no basic human caring, no sympathy. Even if one person being sick is scary surely they should do their best to make us comfortable so we don't disturb other customers? I don't think other customers were aware because we were very quiet but also the lights were off for the whole flight from 6:30 pm to 11:00pm except for the last ten minutes of landing, I felt the whole light off thing was to minimise any service opportunities. I tried to use the website to complain about our treatment. When I get to the right section it says I have to load the form in Google chrome. I download and use Google chrome and the same message appears, clearly they are not interested in improvement. We won't be flying COPA again.

Original review: April 26, 2017

I've traveled with Copa at least half a dozen times. As far as I could tell, they did everything right, and they beat the competition on price. I was surprised by all the negative reviews. Yes, it's true that if you talk to 6 Copa employees you will receive 6 different answers. But that holds true for everything in Central America.

Original review: March 25, 2017

Bought a ticket with Copa Airlines from Chicago to Brazil with a layover in Panama City. I wanted to use my Star Alliance Premier upgrade for the way back. According to United's website, the way to do that is to call a United Mileage Plus rep and they will do the upgrade for you. And so I did. With my upgrade confirmed, I began my trip. When I tried to board my return flight, I was called aside to the counter, where I was told that my return ticket is invalid (although I had a boarding ticket showing a seat number). Why? Because the COPA can see the reservation for a business class ticket, but they cannot see that it was paid. I said, "Fine, please put me in an economy seat instead." "No we cannot," they said, although there are economy seats available, I cannot board the flight at all.

Here I am, in Sao Paulo, with a paid, confirmed boarding ticket in my hand, with vacant seats on the plane, but I am denied boarding. WHAT??? Well, the COPA reps tell me to call reservations and ask to rebook. On the phone, COPA reservations reps say they cannot see how much was the fare because it was bought through a travel agent so they cannot do anything about it (?). Can't rebook, not even for a penalty. Computer says no! As one of the reviewers above me said once they go into "not our problem" mode, there's no way out. "Go talk to your travel agent, go talk to United, not our problem." Called United, they insist that they did book an upgrade for me, but they cannot do anything because it's not their ticket. Go call COPA... Catch-22.

UPDATE: United budged and put me on a flight back... Even they couldn't cope with COPA! If it was up to COPA, I think I would be stuck in Sao Paulo forever. In summary, I've been mistreated and abused by airlines many times before, but this certainly sets a new record. And if you are considering flying COPA I say to you: NO! NO! The sweetness of the fare is not worth your well-being and mental health.

Original review: March 4, 2017

On 03/02/17 my friend and I had a flight to Panama City from NYC JFK schedule for 8:55AM on Copa Airlines. We arrived at the airline counter at 7:50AM, 10 minutes before closing the check-in desk (which can be verify in their security camera system). The agent informed us she was about to close flight for check-ins and because we didn’t do our check-in online (a Copa airline system that does not work) and have bags with us she was not able to check us in.

She suggested to call Copa customer service or come back to her later on. She also said the airline was going to charge us for putting us into the next flight schedule for 2:25pm and that it could be less expensive for us if we decided to do it right there with her instead of calling customer again. She recommended us to come back to the counter at 10:15am and look for help and try to get into the next flight. We did so.

Unfortunately for us the new agent, after us telling her the incident said our reservation was completely cancelled due to a NO-SHOW (no matter we were there 10 min before the closed the flight). She also said we had to pay a fee of 140 dollars per person and to buy a new ticket to come back because ours was also cancel. This new ticket to come back to NYC was around 1000 dollars.

We left the counter to discuss our financial options and after 15 min we went back to her to explore fair and accessible options for us. Close to 11:20am we spoke to two other different agents asking for help.The looked at each other like not knowing what to do. One of them tried explaining the other one the charges we were supposed to pay but even her couldn’t understand why and how much. Apparently neither of the agents who were talking to us were able to calculate the correct charges and/or give us options.

Overtime we went back to the counter it was a different amount and the prices were inconsistent and higher every time. At 1:10pm, 15 min before closing the second flight to Panama, the agent notified us with the correct amount we were supposed to pay. It was $1200 dollars per person. We explained we did not have that kind of money and that we were willing to pay the fee and begged them to put us on the flight. They said NO. The only way to take the flight was buying a new ticket from them right there for $1200 dollars. At 2:25pm the flight left. An hour later after debating about solutions we decided to call Copa customer service again and ask one more time for help.

After more than 40 minutes of waiting someone asked me to tell him the situation one more time, then she put me on hold for another 10 minutes. When she came back she said our roundtrip flight was cancelled because we did not arrived (which is not true). I tried to explain what had happened so she could help us since I was still hoping someone would give us options and understand the situation. I asked four basic questions about our situation and for each of them she put me on hold. It took 5-7 minutes per question. In the forty minutes duration of the call this person did not understand what we were going through. What she offered us was continue waiting at the airport for 8 more hours and pay a penalty of $280 dollars plus $150 dollars for agency fees and other $108 for other fees and $1000 dollars for the flight back to NYC.

As the reservation was made through Expedia I contacted them around 5:00pm. They explained to us the only charge we had to pay was $280 and I could be able to use the ticket at any time in the future. They said Copa had cancelled the flight. She suggested to take the third and last flight Copa had schedule for that day at 1:00am. She said if we decided to take that fly we could work all the changes on Copa website or at their counter by 10:00pm and that they, Expedia, will contact them also to discuss the situation. An hour later I tried to check the information on the Copa website and after several attempts I was not able.

I called Copa customer service again and they said we already were on the next flight for 1:00am. After almost 13 hours at the airport I called them again to notify them I wasn’t going to be able to fly. I was already feeling sick and not in good condition to be on a plane. The person this time told me they already had withdrawn $280 dollars.

This is the worst experience ever. Copa Air service is insensitive. It is solely designed to get more and more money from its customers without any human consideration and without offering any kind of customer service. Their ticket brokers at JFK, JFK managers, website check in and customer service over the phone are inefficient. In more than 20 years that we have traveled we had never experienced a bad treatment like this, such complicated and inhuman service.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2017

I purchased a ticket online for my father to attend my aunt's funeral. When reviewing my credit card activity I noticed the amount of the ticket charged twice. One charge was Copa Air and the other Copa Web. I immediately call customer service to resolve the issue and was then directed to email the escalation department for assistance. I sent my information and received an automated email as a response saying that someone would contact me in 48 hours regarding the issue. No one did! I called customer service again and they said no information was received and to resubmit the information again and wait another 2 days.

The lack of communication is ridiculous! After almost an hour on the phone they miraculously find the email I sent and tell me it's being worked on and I should hear from the agent in charge of my claim, Genesis **. I received one email from this person and nothing more. Considering this is their mess and it consistently happens (based on past reviews). For anyone reading this DO NOT PURCHASE ONLINE WITH THIS AIRLINE! In the end you will pay more out of pocket than what you think you are saving. HOW MANY MORE DAYS FOR A REFUND?

Original review: Feb. 1, 2017

My father had a return date for April 03, 2017. My mother and I called multiple times inquiring about return date changes. My mother agreed to changing it to February 9th, 2017. There was a fee but nothing was paid for. Upon calling my father to let him know the new return date he declined due to illness. We called back since we didn't pay for the change. We were under the impression that the flight return date change was not finalized. We made multiple attempts explaining the situation to keep original return date and even asked to speak to manager or supervisor and the manager on duty refused. Only communicated through the representative we were dealing with. As a manager that is completely unprofessional and poor customer service. We were told there is no return date on our flight now. We paid over 1000 dollars for the ticket, and were told we have to pay for a flight change to return to Canada.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2017

I would like to inform all customers that this airline is so inefficient and worst of all has no work ethics. They charged my card with no authorization and now I HAVE TO BE FOLLOWING them for my refund. Their departments lack of communication and don't know the correct processes for which they all provide a bad service. When we initially called on Dec 6, 2016 we asked if they requested a Yellow fever vaccine to fly to Bahamas. They said NO. When we get to Panama City we can't board since we weren't wearing the yellow fever vaccine. We are now claiming to be refunded for Bahamas tickets that we never used, on top of that, they charge extra my card with NO AUTHORIZATION and with no valid reason. They should not be part of Star Alliance.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2016

I booked a trip through Groupon and the airline my deal came with was Copa Airlines. Long story short, my connecting flight was delayed causing me to arrive to the Copa's check-in counter at 4:10 PM and my flight to my final destination was suppose to board at 5:44 PM. There was no one at the check-in counter. A TSA agent gave me a number to call Airport Customer Service to report no one was at the Copa counter. After I did so, someone came up but would not let us check in. He said we missed the three hour window for international flights to check in. NOWHERE ON THEIR WEBSITE DOES IT SAY THEY CLOSE CHECK-IN THREE HOURS PRIOR TO A FLIGHT BOARDING.

He didn't care that we already paid for the flight and our connecting flight was delayed. We asked him for a later flight and he said nothing was available for that evening or THE NEXT TWO DAYS. We ended up flying one way with American Airlines because Copa wouldn't let us board. When we tried to return they charged us each an $160.00 "missed" arrival flight fee! They would not let us fly home if we didn't pay it. Keep in mind, this is a flight that we already paid for!!

When we got back to the States, I contacted their Customer Service and that's when I really found out how much of a joke this "business" is. On their automated email signature it says they will respond to your email within 15 DAYS, and they responded to me in 14! Wow. I spoke with Evelyn ** and Diana ** and they stand behind their airline agents not assisting us with check-in.

I now see why my deal through Groupon was so cheap. No one would book with Copa if they had the choice! If you want further verification of Corrupt Copa, read their review on Consumer Affairs, their Boycott Copa Airlines Facebook pages, Yelp, etc. They only had 3 desk open and it's 2016 but they don't have self-check-in kiosk. COPA JUST WANTS YOUR MONEY. PLEASE RUN!!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2016

On December 10, I arrived at the Toronto airport at 4:20am to check-in for my 19 hour flight to Guatemala. I had 2 50 lbs. bags to check in and had 2 small carry-on plus my laptop bag. I was asked for my passport and then I was asked to see the carry on bags. When I showed her, the agent told me that I had to get rid of one. I told her to charge me for the other one and she said no in a very rude voice. After, she said, that if I didn't get rid of one, I would not be able to travel. That's when I called my friend who had dropped me off to come and pick up one bag. To my surprise, the agent had called the cops on me. She told the officers that I was intoxicated and that I was danger for all the passengers. I was no intoxicated. I started crying and went into a state of shock and had a panic attack. I've never had any problems with the law. I am a good Canadian Citizen.

The manager informed my friend to tell me to go back in an hour and that he would check me in. I was in no state to fly. I had been crying for a very long time. Now, Copa Airlines has said to me that if I want to fly I need to buy another ticket at a cost of almost $1,000. I was going to Guatemala to spend Christmas with my family and celebrate my niece's 15th birthday and my nephew's 18 birthday. 34 years ago, my father was killed on December 30 and my brother is celebrating their birthdays on December 29 to have better memories. Unfortunately, Thanks to Copa Airlines Staff, I'll still have the sad memories of my father's assassination.

Copa Airlines Company Information