3.57/5

131 Copa Airlines Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 5, 2019

I paid for a guaranteed seating months ago. I was unable to check in on the app or online for whatever unknown reason. I picked the seat via a concierge service. However, one of The Copa employees informed me due to me being unable to check in that my seat was given to someone that paid TODAY and that I was placed on standby. I was 5th on the list and I watched 8 people that were also on standby get placed ahead of me after being told that it was to go in order. When I asked how they got ahead of me I was told this wouldn’t of happened if I checked in and that I should learn from that mistake.

The mistake was with Copa on multiple levels. The app and online check-in is broken with passports, you gave seats away from a customer that paid months ago, and had terrible and condescending staff to make things worse. I was given a voucher but I will never use it on this terrible airline so that doesn’t do anything for me. The person I’m with and I were to attend a wedding tomorrow that will now likely not happen due to the flight that we were placed on being delayed. I have flown a lot. I have had other bad experiences, however, other airlines have outstanding customer service and dedication to customers make the difference... Copa does not.

Original review: June 7, 2019

Two days before my flight was scheduled to leave from Orlando to Panama City then to Costa Rica on May 14, 2019, my 17-year old daughter went to ER and was admitted to the hospital for emergency surgery the same day. I communicated with Expedia (purchased tickets through them). Expedia had me to send info from hospital detailing the events. Expedia has gone back and forth with Copa for two weeks with no end in mind to issue my refund for the flight. Finally, Expedia asked me to get involved with Copa directly.

I have sent emails to Copa because no one will talk to you over the phone dealing with refunds. Every time I call, I am receiving the runaround and no one seems to know what I am speaking of. This is ridiculous. I have never experienced this issue with other airlines. I had an issue with American and within days my refund was in my account. Copa is not big on customer service. They are big on giving you a hassle. Several Expedia reps I've spoken with stated the same.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 23, 2019

My sister, mother and I had planned a trip to Colombia to visit family almost 1 year ago. Everything was going well from checking into LAX and flying out to Panama. From Panama, we were to get another flight to Medellin, Colombia. At approximately 0645 after landing and passengers ahead of us were exiting the plane, we got off and noticed that the plane to Medellin was scheduled to leave at 0725am. We made our way to use the restroom and get a cup of coffee. We arrived at the departure gate at 0710am and noticed a lot of people sitting down around the gate.

At approximately 0720 hours, I noticed the screen changed to another flight and we asked the Copa Airlines worker for the flight that was supposed to leave at 0725. The airline worker stated that the flight left at 0718am. Never once was there an announcement or a "LAST CALL" for the flight. I took the responsibility for missing this flight which left a lot earlier than stated on the ticket. We went to Customer Service Desk and she found a flight to Medellin at 0745am. We asked her if that was enough time to make it to the gate. The employee said that we had enough time but we would have to run to the gate as she called the gate to let them know that we were on our way. SHE PROMISED AND GUARANTEED US THAT WE WOULD MAKE THE FLIGHT.

I paid almost $1000 US Dollars for that flight and it left at 0728. We arrived to the gate at 0724am. NOW THAT IS 2 FLIGHTS THAT WE MISSED BECAUSE COPA AIRLINES LEAVES WAY BEFORE THEIR INTENDED TIMES AND EMPLOYEES LIED SAYING THAT THE FLIGHT WOULD WAIT FOR US. I requested for Copa Airlines to send us back home to Los Angeles and a refund of what we lost because there were no other flights to Medellin till Thursday. Copa employees stated that I would have to file a claim online and "hopefully" they can reimburse my money. So, to summarize this, please watch Copa Airlines, they are thieves and it's sad to see that they are getting away with stealing people's hard earned money and we didn't even get to see our family.

I would rather pay a little extra and fly directly to Colombia on an American flight if we have another chance in the future. I Wish we can start a movement on behalf of everyone who has been robbed by this airline. I've never seen so many people upset and literally crying in an airport for unknown reasons but all related to COPA Airlines. NEVER AGAIN!

Original review: May 4, 2019

Booked a flight from Guatemala City for 3 of May 2019 to Panama City. We were on time and waiting to be boarded and out of the blue they cancelled the flight without giving any explanation. Ground crew is incapable and useless. Empty promises, no clue what's going on. This guys are a bunch of useless people in Guatemala. They are too lazy to speak English. Never ever again, will I book with Copa. They have to understand at that point the customer pay the flight, it's their duty to fulfill the contract. I expect them to give me a refund, because they broke the contract.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I booked a ticket with Copa from a 3rd party. I made sure my connecting flights were all Copa since my husband and I are traveling with pets and traveling with one carrier is a requirement. A month before our journey to move from one country to another they changed one of our connecting flights to United, therefore, we wouldn't be able to travel with pets. I called to make them aware of the issue and called the third party as well. Both blamed one another. In the end, even though Copa made that change without their client's approval or consultation they would take no responsibility whatsoever.

So if you book with a 3rd party Copa will ALSO refuse to work with you (see review below from Erik of Mountain View, CA). Copa's "solutions" were large scale financial burdens and no gains. My husband and I are out over 2 grand now and are buying our tickets, again, with another hopefully more ethical airline. Lessons learned, don't fly Copa. They'll make mistakes and charge you for them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Copa Airlines?

Original review: March 11, 2019

I booked a flight - then attempted to cancel it 3 hours after booking. Copa refused. I called several times, inquiring about the regulations requiring cancellation with 24 hours. Long story short, if you have to fly COPA, dont book directly - book through a travel agent site such as ORBITZ - if you go through those 3rd parties, you will get the industry standard 24 hour cancellation policy. If you book directly with COPA, they will refuse to work with you. Hope this helps someone avoid the headache and financial loss I had to deal with.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I am disappointed in the service Copa Airlines has provided to me. I was given seats that did not exists and had to sit somewhere else on the plane. When I arrived at JFK my suitcase was damaged, wheels broke off, zipper spoiled and wrapped in plastic. In addition to the two incident my items in my luggage was missing. I attempted to report the matter. However no one was present at JFK TO TAKE MY REPORT when I arrived. On departure to Panama I reported the incident to the agent upon check-in and she was little or no help. She told me that it's too late to report the matter and that I should visit the head office in Guyana.

I have traveled with Delta. Excellent service and Caribbean Airlines excellent. Copa Airlines ruined my vacation and I am truly disappointed in your service. The company I work for uses this service to travel back and from Panama weekly, my director told me to send this email since he recommended your airline and I'm regretting it. All my stuff gone, I declared the items on paper 500 USD before arrival to JFK. I paid in full for year service. My sister and I sat at the airport and cried, Because there was no one to help, NO WINTER COATS and we couldn't find the stuff we bought for my sister who we have seen in 15 yrs. To be honest everything else was perfect. The flight was on time. The food was delicious and the flight attendant was rude when I inquired about my seat I reserved for my sister and I. I couldn't even get a blanket when I was feeling cold. Such a shame.

In closing I would like a full refund for my stolen/missing items and a replacement for my suitcase. My suitcase had max 50 lbs. When it arrived it was empty. Clothes, bags, shoes and snacks from my country missing. When I was booking at your agency another guy was complaining about the same thing and he was given help. I don't know if it's a class thing but I'm sad and fear that we may never use your service again. Everything else was okay except the above mentioned. I had to borrow my sister's suitcase to return to Guyana. Thank God nothing happens to it which tells me this incident is not habitual. I also paid extra to take this suitcase to America.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Last month I returned from a business trip to Colombia flying Copa Airlines & it was the worst experience of my life! When boarding the 2nd sector of my flight from PTY to CLO there was no room for my carry-on bag, so I was forced to leave it at the gate for Copa to check in my bag under the plane. When I got onto the plane, I saw there was plenty of room in the first class overhead bins, and tried to take my bag on the plane, but they still refused to let me take it with me!

When I arrived in Colombia, I realized that my passport was still in my carry-on bag, so immigration allowed me to get my bag from the baggage area and then go back to immigration.

Unfortunately, Copa Airlines never put my bag onto the plane, and my carry-on bag together with my passport was still back in Panama! Copa Airlines never put my bag on the plane, even though it was on the gangway literally 5 feet away from the plane before take off! Everyone else who had their bags checked in last minute also did not receive their bags. The immigration supervisor would not let me into Colombia, since my passport was back in Panama! I was forced to stay overnight at the airport and was forced to take the next flight at 5 am back to Panama!

It was like the movie Terminal with Tom Hanks! Even though I had a hotel booked for that night, I was forced to stay overnight in the departure lounge, and got no sleep all night. I also eat only kosher food, and all my food was in my bag, so I also had nothing to eat. When I arrived the next morning back in Panama, I had 3 hours till the next return flight back to Colombia. After complaining & screaming for over 3 hours to so many people at the Copa airlines customer service desk, they finally found my lost carry-on bag, and I was able to get my passport for the flight back to CLO.

Copa Airlines would not let me take my bag with me on the flight, as they claim that my bag was in a secured area. Copa then had to get special permission to allow me to re-enter Colombia, since I was denied entry the first time. After 40 minutes of the airline attempting got make an international call, they finally managed to call Colombia and get permission for me to go back there and legally enter the country. I then flew back to Colombia for the 2nd time, and when I arrived this time I went to collect my suitcase and carry-on, and they lost my bags for the 2nd time!!! Not only did my bags not show up, but there were about 15 other people whose bags also did not arrive from my flight alone! I had to file a 2nd lost baggage report 2 days in a row!!!

Copa airlines then informed me that there are 2 more flights going from PTY to CLO that day, and they would deliver my luggage to my hotel, as soon as it arrives. My luggage never arrived that day, and I finally received it the following evening when I got back to my hotel. The baggage got delivered literally the night before my flight back to the USA.

I had no kosher food to eat for my entire stay in Colombia, and was living off fruit and water! I had the expense of the hotel for the 1st night that I was not able to sleep in, and missed half my business meeting in Colombia. It was a terrible experience, and have asked Copa for compensation. Every time I called them, they were just useless, kept me on the phone for ages, and then did nothing to help me. My only recourse was to send them a email, which I did, and I'm now waiting for a response, which I doubt I'll get! Terrible airline, never fly with them if you want your bags to arrive with you!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

So far I have complained two month ago for a non-operational first class paid seat on Copa from JFK to Panama, their service sucks during the flight and after, and their customer service make believe they don't understand or plainly refuse to address the issue, it's one airline that should be avoided.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

COPA AIRLINES IS THE MOST DISORGANIZED AIRLINE COMPANY I HAVE EVER ENCOUNTERED!!! To start the holiday, they informed my boyfriend and I that they overbooked the flight. Great no worries, we still managed to make it to our destination. To improve their case, they lost my checked bag upon my arrival home. I have been calling the SAN FRANCISCO BAGGAGE CLAIM every day for twelve days trying to track my bag. I spoke with the supervisor two days after returning home and I confirmed three items in my bag.

I made a second phone call to confirm which address they needed to forward my bag to. The new representative had no record of finding my bag. You can’t do this to customers that have spend hundreds of dollars on airfare through your company. I have been calling relentlessly without a single return phone call. I have priceless items in my bag and these people don’t even have the decency to call me back to get the situation figured out.

Copa Airlines Company Information