3.11/5

127 Copa Airlines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 17, 2019

I booked a ticket with Copa from a 3rd party. I made sure my connecting flights were all Copa since my husband and I are traveling with pets and traveling with one carrier is a requirement. A month before our journey to move from one country to another they changed one of our connecting flights to United, therefore, we wouldn't be able to travel with pets. I called to make them aware of the issue and called the third party as well. Both blamed one another. In the end, even though Copa made that change without their client's approval or consultation they would take no responsibility whatsoever.

So if you book with a 3rd party Copa will ALSO refuse to work with you (see review below from Erik of Mountain View, CA). Copa's "solutions" were large scale financial burdens and no gains. My husband and I are out over 2 grand now and are buying our tickets, again, with another hopefully more ethical airline. Lessons learned, don't fly Copa. They'll make mistakes and charge you for them.

Original review: March 11, 2019

I booked a flight - then attempted to cancel it 3 hours after booking. Copa refused. I called several times, inquiring about the regulations requiring cancellation with 24 hours. Long story short, if you have to fly COPA, dont book directly - book through a travel agent site such as ORBITZ - if you go through those 3rd parties, you will get the industry standard 24 hour cancellation policy. If you book directly with COPA, they will refuse to work with you. Hope this helps someone avoid the headache and financial loss I had to deal with.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I am disappointed in the service Copa Airlines has provided to me. I was given seats that did not exists and had to sit somewhere else on the plane. When I arrived at JFK my suitcase was damaged, wheels broke off, zipper spoiled and wrapped in plastic. In addition to the two incident my items in my luggage was missing. I attempted to report the matter. However no one was present at JFK TO TAKE MY REPORT when I arrived. On departure to Panama I reported the incident to the agent upon check-in and she was little or no help. She told me that it's too late to report the matter and that I should visit the head office in Guyana.

I have traveled with Delta. Excellent service and Caribbean Airlines excellent. Copa Airlines ruined my vacation and I am truly disappointed in your service. The company I work for uses this service to travel back and from Panama weekly, my director told me to send this email since he recommended your airline and I'm regretting it. All my stuff gone, I declared the items on paper 500 USD before arrival to JFK. I paid in full for year service. My sister and I sat at the airport and cried, Because there was no one to help, NO WINTER COATS and we couldn't find the stuff we bought for my sister who we have seen in 15 yrs. To be honest everything else was perfect. The flight was on time. The food was delicious and the flight attendant was rude when I inquired about my seat I reserved for my sister and I. I couldn't even get a blanket when I was feeling cold. Such a shame.

In closing I would like a full refund for my stolen/missing items and a replacement for my suitcase. My suitcase had max 50 lbs. When it arrived it was empty. Clothes, bags, shoes and snacks from my country missing. When I was booking at your agency another guy was complaining about the same thing and he was given help. I don't know if it's a class thing but I'm sad and fear that we may never use your service again. Everything else was okay except the above mentioned. I had to borrow my sister's suitcase to return to Guyana. Thank God nothing happens to it which tells me this incident is not habitual. I also paid extra to take this suitcase to America.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Last month I returned from a business trip to Colombia flying Copa Airlines & it was the worst experience of my life! When boarding the 2nd sector of my flight from PTY to CLO there was no room for my carry-on bag, so I was forced to leave it at the gate for Copa to check in my bag under the plane. When I got onto the plane, I saw there was plenty of room in the first class overhead bins, and tried to take my bag on the plane, but they still refused to let me take it with me!

When I arrived in Colombia, I realized that my passport was still in my carry-on bag, so immigration allowed me to get my bag from the baggage area and then go back to immigration.

Unfortunately, Copa Airlines never put my bag onto the plane, and my carry-on bag together with my passport was still back in Panama! Copa Airlines never put my bag on the plane, even though it was on the gangway literally 5 feet away from the plane before take off! Everyone else who had their bags checked in last minute also did not receive their bags. The immigration supervisor would not let me into Colombia, since my passport was back in Panama! I was forced to stay overnight at the airport and was forced to take the next flight at 5 am back to Panama!

It was like the movie Terminal with Tom Hanks! Even though I had a hotel booked for that night, I was forced to stay overnight in the departure lounge, and got no sleep all night. I also eat only kosher food, and all my food was in my bag, so I also had nothing to eat. When I arrived the next morning back in Panama, I had 3 hours till the next return flight back to Colombia. After complaining & screaming for over 3 hours to so many people at the Copa airlines customer service desk, they finally found my lost carry-on bag, and I was able to get my passport for the flight back to CLO.

Copa Airlines would not let me take my bag with me on the flight, as they claim that my bag was in a secured area. Copa then had to get special permission to allow me to re-enter Colombia, since I was denied entry the first time. After 40 minutes of the airline attempting got make an international call, they finally managed to call Colombia and get permission for me to go back there and legally enter the country. I then flew back to Colombia for the 2nd time, and when I arrived this time I went to collect my suitcase and carry-on, and they lost my bags for the 2nd time!!! Not only did my bags not show up, but there were about 15 other people whose bags also did not arrive from my flight alone! I had to file a 2nd lost baggage report 2 days in a row!!!

Copa airlines then informed me that there are 2 more flights going from PTY to CLO that day, and they would deliver my luggage to my hotel, as soon as it arrives. My luggage never arrived that day, and I finally received it the following evening when I got back to my hotel. The baggage got delivered literally the night before my flight back to the USA.

I had no kosher food to eat for my entire stay in Colombia, and was living off fruit and water! I had the expense of the hotel for the 1st night that I was not able to sleep in, and missed half my business meeting in Colombia. It was a terrible experience, and have asked Copa for compensation. Every time I called them, they were just useless, kept me on the phone for ages, and then did nothing to help me. My only recourse was to send them a email, which I did, and I'm now waiting for a response, which I doubt I'll get! Terrible airline, never fly with them if you want your bags to arrive with you!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

So far I have complained two month ago for a non-operational first class paid seat on Copa from JFK to Panama, their service sucks during the flight and after, and their customer service make believe they don't understand or plainly refuse to address the issue, it's one airline that should be avoided.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Copa Airlines?

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

COPA AIRLINES IS THE MOST DISORGANIZED AIRLINE COMPANY I HAVE EVER ENCOUNTERED!!! To start the holiday, they informed my boyfriend and I that they overbooked the flight. Great no worries, we still managed to make it to our destination. To improve their case, they lost my checked bag upon my arrival home. I have been calling the SAN FRANCISCO BAGGAGE CLAIM every day for twelve days trying to track my bag. I spoke with the supervisor two days after returning home and I confirmed three items in my bag.

I made a second phone call to confirm which address they needed to forward my bag to. The new representative had no record of finding my bag. You can’t do this to customers that have spend hundreds of dollars on airfare through your company. I have been calling relentlessly without a single return phone call. I have priceless items in my bag and these people don’t even have the decency to call me back to get the situation figured out.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

In July 2018 my wife and I had confirmed tickets to fly Copa From San Francisco to Panama. Copa has two flights out of San Francisco, both late at night. The flight, on a Copa, alliance partner, arrived late and we were unable to catch the 10 PM flight from SFO. The reservation agents and station manager told us there would be a $400 penalty. On top of this they explained there was only one seat available on the 1:30 AM flight and the other passenger would have to go standby. This was unacceptable. We sat down to regroup from the shock we received at the obvious lack of concern from Copa.

Plan B was to call the reservation center which we did at about 2 AM in the San Francisco airport. We were then told that our tickets were now invalid and we would have to pay over $1100 to go to Panama City Because prices had increased since we made our original booking. We agreed to think about it, and looked for a hotel. Try to get a hotel in San Francisco in July; not possible. Furthermore the reservation center told us there were no available seats on the next night's flights. That meant spend two nights minimum in the San Francisco airport hoping we would be able to get a flight out in two days. Mmm.

Plan C was to make last-minute bookings on other airlines (at extortion level prices) in order to get home and get some rest as soon as possible. This was the option we chose which cost us, in addition to the cost of the Copa tickets, an extra $2400. In spite of a later call to Copa's call center, after returning home, we were unable to recoup one cent from our San Francisco to Panama leg with Copa.

Ironically, an identical situation occurred on November flight with American Airlines where I missed the connecting flight in Miami because of a late arrival. As you can imagine, I no longer fly Copa, in spite of the fact that its route map is more convenient for me and despite the fact I have a free ticket which I likely will never use. American Airlines provided me with accommodations, transportation and food and a ticket on the first flight out the next day at no additional cost.

My advice to you as a passenger, considering Copa Airlines is to purchase travel insurance particularly, if you take if your flights require connections, involving Copa Airlines. As for me personally, I much prefer American Airlines customer service as opposed to Copa's version, which they term "Customer Care". As a result of my experience, I filed a complaint with the US DOT. I did this, because Copa would not respond to my initial complaint report on their website.

In Copa's response which is required under DOT regulations, a Copa representative explained their customer care policy to me. Their regulations made it clear that my situation was not a simple oversight or unique in any way. It was clear to both my wife and I that Copa's procedures were carried out to the "T" exactly as the Copa letter explained. I do not know what your experiences are or were, with Copa, but this trip ranks as my "travel experience from hell", one, which I hope I will never have to repeat, prior to my departure from this planet. You will quickly learn that If you experience Customer care issues on the ground, with Copa Airlines, there will only be one winner. Copa's Customer Care policies are designed to benefit Copa Airlines, not you, the passenger. Caveat Emptor!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

Was traveling to Panama & got this toll free Copa Airlines phone number 1-888-207-3303. Contact at it & got Cheap Copa airlines flight deals & discounts for my family. I will now always use this number for booking & if you want to get more cheaper tickets you can also get in touch with this number ASAP!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I traveled to Panama from Florida on a direct flight for my brothers wedding. When I arrived, my luggage could not be found. They promised to keep searching and bring to my hotel. Nothing ever arrived that night nor my stay in Panama. All of my belongings gone including my medications. No phone call, follow up, nothing. I had to catch an Uber to the airport and demanded to speak with management. They refused to talk to me and stated they will continue to search for my luggage and need to just wait. Horrible service. All of my belongings gone and the day of the wedding I had to find another dress literally 2 hrs before the wedding. I filed a claim at the airport before coming home and its has been over two months, no phone call, nor response to my claim. The only number to reach them is reservations to purchase tickets and they advised they will send an email to baggage.

I asked for the direct email and was informed they cannot provide to me. Same response I receive every time I call. No phone number for customer service or baggage claim either. All correspondence is via email. The site states a response within 15 days. However, no response to any of my emails and forms I have completed. The is the worst airline to travel with. Customer service is not their number one priority and their baggage department takes no responsibility for their actions. The least they could do is refund me my ticket and the items in my suitcase. Unfortunately, they have not done anything to resolve the issue. I went as far to go to my local airport to talk to someone there and no one at ticket counters nor a baggage claim area. The airport officer informed me they have a lot of customers very upset with this airline and he informed he will never travel with them as he sees the many disappointed customers each day.

Every personnel I talked to including other airline carriers informed me that Agents are only there when a flight arrives or departure for max an hour and then they are gone. What kind of business is this airline running. I do not recommend this airline to anyone and lesson learned it's best to always do carry one when possible. After researching the amount of luggage lost everyday is unreal. Their policy or corporate responsibility is a joke "Mr. Pedro Heilbron - CEO of Copa At Copa Airlines, we take pride in providing all of our passengers with world-class service, the best on-time performance in the region, and access to the most destinations through the Hub of the Americas. We are also proud of our ongoing efforts to ensure that we have a positive impact on society and the environment."

They need to adhere, honor their policy and abide by Code of Ethics they claim on their site. Till this day not one person has ever responded to me to even apologize and provide a response or refund of my items in my suitcase. Very bad customer service, I have notified BBB and all social media to warn people not to travel with this airline. If there were a negative zero rating I could provide, I would gladly do so as rating 1 is not even deserved. Stay away from Copa Airlines!!! No world class service provided.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

On this trip I flew from the USA with tweezers (small regular tweezers) in my carry on, caught a connecting flight in Panama, and then also had the same tweezers on my return trip. The tweezers that were not a previous problem were then taken from me at not the first set of security but the second that I went through on my return flight home. Tweezers are not a restricted item to fly with and therefore I cannot understand why my tweezers were taken after checking them in at two separate check-ins. If this is a restricted item it should be clearly labeled somewhere and not just taken after flying with them many many times on my carry on. I was then lied to by 2 different people in Panama and told that the USA customs does not allow tweezers in.

This is ridiculous and untrue. I asked 2 different customs officers in the USA and they actually laughed at how ridiculous it was. I also asked about the alcohol and water and was told none of it should have been taken. If there is truly a restricted item list to bring into the USA as stated by the staff then it should be given to people. The next issue was that we had food and drinks after we went through security in Dominican Republic airport and we were not told we would have to throw out our water before we got on a connecting flight or we would have drank it and we were forced to throw out the water. The last thing that was taken was 2 bottles of mama Juana liquor that we were told would be able to make it through to the USA on our carry on because it was sealed with a wrapping on it.

This obviously was not the case as they also were taken. The items should not have been sold and it should have been told to us that we would have to go through a separate security prior to reaching the USA when we asked about it and that it would not be allowed into the USA. This is actually my 3rd time flying Copa and previously I did not have issues. To avoid problems in the future there should be a list of restricted items and an advanced warning that a second security would need to be gone through. This would avoid problems and confusion for passengers and make for happier customers on a whole. I have previously been happy with your services but will be considering different airlines in the future before using your airline or recommending it to others in the as I previously have always highly recommended you.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

Never got email alert of return flight, went to flight next day 1:22 am. They charge me 1 way the full price of going & returning, got a seat on the emergency exit, The luggage had 3 kilos over, cannot paid for that, had to throw away the excess. Nasty teller at the counter as well as Supervisor. They Forgot my $5 change. The worst experience ever. I will make my business to issue statements on all social media as well as newspapers. Copa Airlines NEVER < EVER again. I will also promote my experience in all places where they operate.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

Copa Airlines charged me twice for a single ticket change. The Guayaquil Airport staff ran my credit card, then my debit card, and told me their machine wasn't working. Then they decided it was my bank's fault. Then they said I needed to pay in cash. I did. Five days later, the same charge ($380) was extracted from my bank account. This might have been an inadvertent error on Copa's part. However, I have had an extraordinarily difficult time communicating with Customer Service, which has no phone number (some Copa sales representatives-- the only folks you can contact by phone-- claim there are no phones in Customer Service, which seems unlikely) and takes 15 days to respond to every email. When they do respond, it is with information that is vague, or with promises to call (though they never do), or with requests for information I have already sent.

Eventually they told me they couldn't refund my money because my bank was not on their list. I'm still waiting to see if they will send a check to my address, but after 20+ hours of effort on my part, and 2 months of waiting, I'm not optimistic. Advice on next steps would be welcome. If you do use Copa, be aware that if any issues arise with your ticket, you may be stonewalled in your attempts to resolve--particularly if you're hoping for any money back. At a minimum, be prepared for a very frustrating and time-consuming process.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

I was looking for a ticket so my son could fly to Colombia and surprise my parents, My sister already had a ticket from Washington DC to Colombia with Copa Airlines and I live in NC, so I went to the website and I saw they had the perfect option for me (Raleigh - DC- Colombia) and he was going to be able to meet my sister in DC at the gate and fly to Colombia with her. Copa classify the adults category as 12 years or more, so minors older than 12 years can fly by themselves. Caleb is 14 years old, so their system allowed me to purchase a ticket for him. The flight from Raleigh to DC was Copa operated by United Airlines, but Copa Airlines in any step of the transaction mentioned any restrictions and they actually just allowed me to buy the ticket knowing it was for a 14 year old boy.

After 3 days I received a call from United saying that Caleb was not going to be allowed to fly by himself if he was not 15 years old or older according to their policies, and that they didn't understand why Copa Airlines allowed me to get this ticket knowing his age and their policies. So they suggested I called Copa Airlines, ask them to cancel the United flight and give me another option for Caleb to go to DC.

So I called Copa Airlines asking for help on this matter, and I spoke with 3 different representatives plus what they call a "supervisor" and this is their response: ""Ms Diana, you should have read the "migratory requirements" that says that minors of more than 12 years old can flight ONLY in flights operated by Copa, so to cancel the flight with United that you purchased through our website, you are not only NOT going to receive the refund but you are actually going to have to PAY 360 dollars for the penalties that will be caused by the changes you want to make.""

I was like wow! Not only I'm going to have to drive my son to VA, not get a refund for a ticket he is not going to use because Copa Airlines wasn't clear or said anything about this restrictions, but I'm going to have to pay them for the changes? Holy cow! This is serious!! So I went and read the migratory requirements that they were talking about, because how dare I didn't read the little letters right?... Nothing. there was nothing on those requirements that even mention anything about a minor.

Then they told me... "Oh, what you didn't read were the "terms and conditions". So yes, we can't help you and you are going to have to pay for the ticket your son is not going to use." So I went and read the Terms and conditions, every single little letter in there and... nothing... So they replied: "Oh no! Is not the terms and conditions is the "Transportation contract" what you didn't read Ms Diana," so I went to find the little link, and saw a 60 pages contract, and on 1 of the clauses, on page 15, they mention this weird clause that if any of you read you will not even understand that what they are saying is that minors older than 12 years old can only flight in airplanes operated by Copa.

Seriously? Copa Airlines? You guys are telling me that because I didn't read a 60 pages contract, and a clause that nobody can even understand I'm going to have to pay penalties for a ticket I bought from you guys? When YOUR system allowed me to buy this ticket, when you don't even mention in any step that if the flight wasn't operated by Copa, minors cannot fly without an adult?

What really worries me, is how they treat people, and how it seems like they just train people to act like robots that are only repeating a script over and over again instead of really helping the person. They treat people like they are dumb, like "How could you not read a 60 pages contract" right? And they give you the same answer over and over again, and there's no way you can talk with a manager or someone who can actually look at the case and be flexible and care about their CLIENTS not a stupid protocol. ** Copa Airlines even if you guys don't even care, I will never buy a ticket from you guys ever again.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

On Jul 13 2018 I fly with Copa Airlines to Cali, Colombia. I check in 2 bags, inside one of them I have a inflatable Costume, it was remove. My bag never was check for inspection or I was notified of the withdraw. My intentions are not to receive monetary compensation, it is to stop this unacceptable behavior, overall I have a pleasant fly.

Original review: July 12, 2018

Two points where the staff did not know their own policies from their website: "For connecting flights, unaccompanied minor service is not offered if the minor's itinerary includes a flight that is the last flight of the day at the connection point, unless the flight is the only flight of the day." Clearly stated this is for connecting flights and the concern should be if the connection is missed. Our kids are traveling on a DIRECT flight yet, the staff (3 different people on 3 different phone calls) insisted we had to change our flight (which was the last one of the day) because of this rule. When we pointed out that we did not have a connecting flight, they seemed confused and kept putting us on hold and consulting with their manager before finally realizing they were wrong. One staff member even said the website is wrong.

"The responsible adult must submit the request for the service for the minor without a companion to the airline at least 48 hours before travel or at the time of the reservation through our Sales Offices or Reservation Center." Our kids are travelling alone, we are taking them to the gate and they are being picked up at the gate, calling 24 hrs in advance should be plenty of time to enter the information required and pay for this "service" however one staff member (out of the 3 calls we made) insisted that this rule means the request MUST BE MADE 48 hours in advance and we had to change our ticket because we were calling 24 hrs in advance.

The staff overall seemed very unfamiliar with their own policies, their main concern was for us to change our ticket and charge us $2000 per ticket to make this change (we paid $300 per ticket originally) and when we pointed out they were wrong they would come up with another issue where we had to change our ticket. In the end, it was resolved with the last person when they gave up and said "well our website is wrong so you should be fine."

Original review: July 6, 2018

Please do not waste your time using this airline. This is the worst experience I have ever had!! I often travel and I have used every airline there is. Copa Airlines if the worse. Their customer service is horrible! I booked a trip to Aruba with friends and was unable to fly due to pregnancy and doctors orders. I contacted Copa right away and was told that I could change my ticket at a later date and pay $150 to change the ticket. When it was time to change the ticket I was given wrong information and the runaround by 6 different people from their call center. When I called the call center back to speak with a supervisor I was told that the supervisor was on another call and that I couldn’t hold on the line. After asking the person why couldn’t I speak with the supervisor I was told that the supervisor was still on another call.

After basically almost cursing I was then transferred to a supervisor who did nothing to help or make the problem better. I agreed to pay $214 to change my ticket when I saw a ticket online that was $580 my original ticket was $750 which would have been an even exchange. I was on hold with the supervisor for over an hour with the same results! The supervisor was very rude and left me on hold for over 20 minutes because his “computer needed to be rebooted and not once did he check in on me. I must say that I will never use this airline again!

Original review: May 3, 2018

On a return flight on Copa Airlines from Chile to USA, I was forced by family circumstances to delay my departure. I visited the ticket office in Santiago and requested a change. I had to pay a penalty of US$300 and lose another $160 for premium seats I had already purchased. When I went online to reserve my seats, I was informed that I had also lost all my online privileges and could no longer reserve seats or check in. What kind of airline punishes passengers because they are forced to make a change in their reservations? Copa is not only a mediocre airline at best, but instead of trying to attract new passengers, it rips them off! Needless to say, this was my first and last trip on Copa.

Original review: April 1, 2018

I called Copa to change the return date of two round trip tickets and to add a destination. This incurred a 600 change fee (300 per person). Not even 20 minutes later, I called back because the agent failed to book a connecting flight. Copa demanded an additional 600 change fee again. I looked at Expedia and found that a brand new flight would cost less and there is a 24 hour grace period. I ended up booking with Expedia. Also, the company doesn't email a receipt that includes the change fee for their services. They only show the flight difference. The fees are charged as a lump sump on the credit card. I've attached an image that shows the charges as "pending". This is the first (and last) time I will fly with this airline.

Original review: March 18, 2018

We are writing about a problem we encountered this past week when attempting to travel with COPA to a family reunion in Bluefields Nicaragua. We made our reservations on the phone with a COPA agent on October 19th, 2017. Because we were travelling with our 5 year old, we made the decision to break-up the trip from Boston to Nicaragua with an overnight at an airport hotel in Panama City.

When we booked our flights, the COPA agent never advised us that after a layover in Panama City, we would be required to have the Yellow Fever vaccine in order to fly to Nicaragua. The COPA agent at Logan Airport in Boston who checked us in (on March 10, 2018) also failed to inform us of the Yellow Fever vaccine requirement. It was not until we arrived at the Panama City airport to check in for our flight to Managua (on March 11, 2018) that we were informed by COPA agent that we could not check in, that we would need the YF vaccine and a 10 day quarantine. We were effectively stranded in Panama City with our 5 year old, while the rest of our family was gathered in Nicaragua.

As a result of COPA’s failure to inform us of the YF vaccine requirement for passengers flying from Panama City to Nicaragua, we lost money in COPA flights, domestic flights within Nicaragua, and fees for cancelled/no-shows at hotels in Nicaragua. We incurred significant costs finding room and board in Panama. When we attempted to head home, we were informed that we’d have to pay for new tickets, change fees, and penalties. It is incomprehensible to us that with Panama City being COPA’s hub that it would not be routine to warn all passengers traveling through Panama to Central America of this vaccine requirement. Aside from the incalculable emotional hardship our family was put through due to COPA’s negligence, we are asking COPA to reimburse us for the costs that we incurred, while never reaching our destination.

We have submitted our complaint through the COPA Airlines website and have taken to Twitter with our story to warn others about this YF vaccine requirement, since COPA doesn't seem concerned with informing their passengers about it. Not surprisingly COPA is happy to charge customers for having to change their flights due to the vaccine restrictions and regularly emails customers about frequent flyers programs yet never sends a single email communication regarding the YF vaccine requirement to COPA customers.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

This is the first time that I have flown with Copa Airlines, I was with my 3 year old daughter. We had to get off the airplane in Panama because there was something wrong, a half hour later we took off to Costa Rica but they told some of us that we had missed our connection and we would have to go back to Panama. I had ask them if our luggage would for sure come with us (my mom even called to make sure) and they assured us it would... When I got my tickets they had split me and my daughter apart, I was in the front and my 3 yo daughter was in the back, (not happening) but the lady was kind enough to switch, we got to Panama and had to get off the plane just to get new tickets and again they split my daughter and I apart (seriously)... At this point it was almost 1:00 in the morning. My daughter was crying and the flight attendants were super nice to me and her and tried to help the best they could...

We finally got to our destination and of course OUR LUGGAGE DID NOT ARRIVE! I was furious and they assured the 7 passengers that were on the same flight that our luggage would come the next day... I had NOTHING. No clothes for my daughter, not change of underwear. Nada!! The next day I went back to get my luggage (I had to stay there for 2 extra days because I had no luggage). They only gave me 2 of my suitcase!!! The next day the rest came except for one. Which had all my daughter's medications. They said no one can find it.

At this point I’m livid. And all they could say to me was “why would you put it in the luggage” and I said (yes I yelled) “I didn’t think you guys would lose all my flippin' suitcases!!! And if something happens to my daughter and I don’t have her medications this will not be good for you!" Well I ended up travelling to my locations and guess what, after one 5 days. Yes 5!!! They found my luggage. I’m am now travelling once again with my daughter and Although the flight attendants were absolutely great, I don’t think I’ll travel Copa Airlines again.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

My review is based on the COPA Airlines change policy. I have had to change flights a few times in my life and expect the usual $50 to $100 change fee. Not at COPA. They wanted $275 to change the ticket date plus, even though the ticket price I paid originally was over $50 less than the new fare, because it was a different class they wanted to charge me the difference at $164.

But, this was only on the departure leg. For the return leg, that involved the same situation (the lower price was a different fare class than the original purchase fare class), they did not change that price to the higher one (thankfully though). I understand that most people do not change ticket dates but typically it is not this hard. If this is the start of my trip I can imagine it will only get worse and I will be sure to spread the news of COPA's ineptitude and terrible customer service. I will gladly pay the extra cost in the future to travel on a different airline. At this rate, I could have purchased a first class ticket.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

Lost my bag, somewhere in my transfers from Toronto to Barranquilla, Columbia, got it back 3 days after I got home. The only compensation I have been offered is to wait 15 days to then fill out a request for compensation to a max of three days at $50 a day. Anyone who has travelled knows there's a lot of purchases that are cash/ pesos only. As a result of my lost luggage I had out of pocket expenses of $460 dollars as I had to rent a tux etc for a wedding. If you have no receipts you get nothing. The biggest insult was the constant lies.

Every day I was lead to believe my bag had been found and it would be there the next day. For a international company, I found that I could get no one to speak or understand English in Columbia that worked for Copa. I had to get a the bride to call every day to speak Spanish to get any information, she really didn't need the extra stress. Then when I left and landed in Panama City the first English speaking agent told me they hadn't even found my bag. A very special occasion was Tarnished all due to COPA Airline. Fly any other carrier than COPA. If you're into getting a runaround, getting frustrated by more than 12 Copa reps then go for it, and good luck.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

I took something like 8 flights with Copa Airlines with connections in Panama City, and I would recommend that airline to anybody traveling to South America. You can choose your seat for free, you have free meals and snacks on the plane and the staff speak English. The connection in PTY is really easy (1hr is enough time!), you don't need to pick up your bag and recheck it and the gates are easy to find. And something important, I never experienced a delayed flight with them!

Also, one day before my trip leaving from Montréal to Lima, when I went on the website to do the web check-in, something was wrong with my e-ticket and I was told that my reservation code was not working (it was working before). I got really stressed and didn't know what to do, so I went on the chat to ask someone to help me with that situation. Someone speaking a good English answered me right away and fixed what was wrong (took less than 5 minutes) and I could process to do my web check-in. So, in my opinion, you shouldn't hesitate to book with them (even if they are not always the cheapest).

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

Copa caused me to miss my return flight because my backpack was too big (the same bag/size I used on the original flight). The customer service at the counter and over the phone was incredibly rude and unhelpful. They wanted me to pay another $800 on top of the original $185 that I paid for the flight from Medellin to LAX. Apparently this is a common problem so I will obviously never fly with Copa again. Their prices aren't even that great.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

The greed of Copa Airlines - Please do not fly on Copa Airlines. I want to share a bad experience that I had with Panamanian company Copa Airlines and Orbitz, on February 18, 2017, I bought 6 tickets to travel from Boston to Quito. These tickets were purchased through the company Orbitz, almost 5 months in advance as they were for a pleasure trip that began on July 4, 2017, and ended with our return to Boston on July 27, 2017.

In mid-May I received some bad news from Quito, where I learned that my mother was diagnosed with cancer and they did not give her more than 3 months to live. I immediately bought some tickets and on May 23 flew to Ecuador to be at her side. Two weeks later I returned to the United States because my mother was a little more stable. Unfortunately, a week later I had to return again because it got much worse. This time I ended up staying until July 27.

On July 2, 2017, my mother succumbed to cancer and the rest of my family traveled to Quito on July 4 as scheduled. But as I was already in Quito, in mid-June, I called Copa Airlines to tell them that I was not going to use the first part of the travel ticket since I was already in Ecuador. They told me that I had to call Orbitz, since I had bought my tickets there. I called Orbitz and after 2 calls and 5 hours of talking to them, they just sold me a one way ticket for almost double the money of my regular fair that already owned.

Copa Airlines told Orbitz, if I did not use the first part of my ticket (Boston-Quito) They would cancel the return too. So I was forced to buy a new ticket so I could return to Boston with my family. Not only that I was not allowed to use the return ticket that I already had, but they charged me a fine for canceling the first ticket and switching to a new one, using the same day and flight that I bought more than 5 months in advance.

Orbitz asked me to send a letter from the doctors who took care of my mother and also the death certificate. On my return I put everything together and sent as I was asked, 2 months later after not hearing anything from Orbitz, I called again, they put me on hold for over an hour and when the person came back, he asked me to resend all the paperwork again. All of that just so that days later Copa Airlines said that the death of a parent is not a basis to return any money, including the penalty for the change of flight.

If that is how they treat passengers in domestic calamity, how would they treat others? I will never fly that airline again, I guess I can’t be the only one who has gone through this, but the greed of this airline is worth sharing and asking everyone if they can, not use it in their travels. To add to the insult, they sell tickets offering Wi-Fi and entertainment, the planes are so old that we did not even have Wi-Fi, nor did the ceiling televisions work. Please share this experience and let people know how Copa Airlines treats its passengers and how they make their money. Please help me change these policies that benefit only these airlines and leave customers without resources to do anything.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

On the 28th of September, '17 I tried to buy a ticket via copaair.com from Bogota (BOG) to Panama (PTY) and also from Panama (PTY) to Santo Domingo (SDQ). After filling on my credit card informations to their system I got an e-mail from Copa Airlines with a reservation code. However I couldn't get any e-ticket. I was written in the e-mail that they are going to send me the e-ticket after processing payment issue from my bank. Then I asked to my bank (Garanti Bankas) in Turkey and my bank said me yes the process had done and sent me a confirmation code.

After all I went to an office of Copa Airlines in San Jose, Costa Rica. I explained everything and the lad talked to Copa Center and she said me that Copa will make my refund, the process couldn't be done. So I should to buy a ticket at this office, then I bought. However even I sent all my documents and everything to Copa Airlines e-mail addresses about this issue, they even send me any response neither any apologize nothing. Basically they stole my 882,80$ and I couldn't get any information from Copa Airlines side. You can see attached all my documents.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

The counter people are horrible and misinformed. Worst Airline I ever traveled with. Called customer service. Had loan sharks on the other side instead of help.

My wife and my kids were flying to Miami from Pereira. They showed up to the counter and the counter lady looked at my kids' American passport and said they are 1 day over the stay. Instead of helping by guiding my wife she placed the whole family off the flight... Giving our seats to Bystanding passengers... They had lots of people on standby???

My wife got the 1 day overstayed fixed with Immigration. As she went back to the counter the Supervisor big shot tells her that she was going to miss the flight even though the plane was still loading passengers... "Therefore she had to be placed on the next day flight but there was going to be a 1200.00 to 3000.00 dollar charge".... Got on the phone and Copa or supervisors nowhere to be found. I had to purchased a new ticket through American and my wife was able to make it in the next day. I am suing them!!!

Original review: May 25, 2017

Copa Airlines has now more than doubled their prices for domestic flights here in Panama. It is outrageous that all these airlines are allowed to get away with this price gouging while at the same time making record profits. And to think that some of you actually believe that they appreciate their customers!

Original review: May 11, 2017

We were flying from Lima, Peru to New Orleans with a break/transit in Panama City. We landed in Panama on time, my husband went to the banos/bathroom as he was feeling sick and cold, we had eaten different meals on the flight from Lima. The flight boarded on time and we taxied to some spot and then waited over 30 minutes before moving again. During this waiting my husband had to use the sick bag, there was only one for our two seats. There was no announcement as to why we were waiting to take off even though the plane had boarded on time.

There is an announcement for cabin staff to prepare for takeoff and then we head off. The plane has leveled off but the seat belt sign stays on and lights are off. Twenty five minutes into the flight three people have got up to use the toilet but seatbelt sign still on, no messages in Spanish or English, no turbulence. My husband has now been holding a half full sick bag for around 50 minutes and we don't have a spare. Seatbelt sign eventually off I press the call for the steward, call sign goes off with no help.

On the second try a lady arrives, my husband holds up the bag and asks for water, even saying 'aqua.' I ask for another sick bag. She looks like she has never seen a sick bag in her life and looks at us hopelessly. We repeat, "Water and sick bag please and pass the bag." She disappears, at least she took the bag, but does not return with a spare bag or water. Fifteen minutes later I press the call button again, after about eight minutes a different steward arrives, we ask for water and a sick bag, she doesn't seem to understand sick bag so I opened the pocket to show what was there and mimed throwing up, she nodded returned with a water in a plastic cup (hence a small serve) in about three minutes and came back with two bags after another five.

After half an hour or so my husband was sick again, he really was very discreet and as quiet as possible. I pressed the call button and after ten minutes a steward arrived and we handed over the bag, though the presentation of the bag seemed to perplex and surprise the steward, and asked for water, getting a small cup in about three minutes and another bag dropped in passing about five minutes later.

When the food trolley arrived the steward wouldn't make eye contact with my husband in the window seat and looked to me, I got water for my husband and a drink for me. I wasn't going to risk the food as it was the previous flight that had caused the problem we think. Luckily he wasn't sick again, we made one more call for water, but that was because the two third full cups were not a lot of water.

We're told we will be landing in twenty five minutes. About ten minutes later US customs forms are delivered. Well in my case dropped from over my shoulder behind me by a different steward, it was the Spanish version. I hit the call button, and one of the female stewards nervously comes to my spot, I hold up the form and say, "English please." This seems an unusual request and she rifles through the pile of forms and finds an English one. I can't believe our being English speaking is so difficult since we are about to land in New Orleans!

I feel like the cabin crew are barely trained, surely English for sick bag please while holding a used one is no leap. But most significantly there was no basic human caring, no sympathy. Even if one person being sick is scary surely they should do their best to make us comfortable so we don't disturb other customers? I don't think other customers were aware because we were very quiet but also the lights were off for the whole flight from 6:30 pm to 11:00pm except for the last ten minutes of landing, I felt the whole light off thing was to minimise any service opportunities. I tried to use the website to complain about our treatment. When I get to the right section it says I have to load the form in Google chrome. I download and use Google chrome and the same message appears, clearly they are not interested in improvement. We won't be flying COPA again.

Original review: April 26, 2017

I've traveled with Copa at least half a dozen times. As far as I could tell, they did everything right, and they beat the competition on price. I was surprised by all the negative reviews. Yes, it's true that if you talk to 6 Copa employees you will receive 6 different answers. But that holds true for everything in Central America.

Copa Airlines Company Information