2. Travel
  3. Airlines

3.9/5 (220 ratings)

About Copa Airlines

Copa Airlines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Copa Airlines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Copa Airlines?

Original review: June 3, 2021

I will never ever fly Copa Airlines again. After they changed the return flight of our ticket then a few weeks later canceled our flight altogether and pushed it one day, my friend and I were about ready to cancel the flight and get a refund. But after being told that we would have to REQUEST a refund and wouldn’t just receive one, we didn’t want to run the risk of them denying our refund and keeping our $700 tickets. AND apparently it would take 6 months for us to even receive an answer regarding our refund. So we decided to go.

When we got to the airport, all of the announcements were in Spanish first, check-in was EXTREMELY slow, and the employees didn’t seem to know what they were talking about any time you asked a question. After we checked our bags and finally got on the flight, 20 mins into the flight, they announced that we were having technical difficulties with the plane and that they were turning back to JFK. When we got off and I asked what the problem was, they said that they were having engine malfunctions. ENGINE MALFUNCTIONS! How did they realize that mid-air??? So we get off and while we’re walking to the boarding area, we were told that the next plane was “ready to go!” It wasn’t and we waited another 30 mins to board.

Meanwhile, my friend and I are worried about missing the connecting flight in Panama to Belize City AND the other flight we have scheduled with another airline from Belize City to San Pedro where our hotel is. But they assure us that it will be fine and we receive an email about how our flight in Panama is delayed, so we are temporarily relieved. But then 10 mins after getting on the plane, an employee comes to us and says “you two are going to Belize? Yea, you’re not going to make it there. The plane in Panama is not waiting for any more passengers, they are leaving.” So we ask if they can just put us on another flight in Panama to Belize and they say “Oh Copa only flies to Belize every 4 days.” So we would be stuck in Panama for 4 days! My friend and I are livid, we get off the plane and demand a refund and our checked bags.

After another 10 mins of the employees trying to find us and the other 5 passengers that were also going to Belize another flight (although we’ve made it clear that we want a refund and our checked luggage so we can go home NOW), they tell us and the 5 other passengers that our luggage is on the plane...that just left to Panama. So WE got off the plane but our bags were left on the plane! How did they not take our bags off the plane although 7 passengers in total had to get off because of their mistake! The incompetency was out of this world! I am a photographer and had thousands of dollars of equipment in my bag and another person had cancer medication in his bag. We were told that it could take 1-3 days to get our bag but there was no way to know. I completely lost my mind. How in the hell did they do this??

I then asked about my refund because at this point, we lost our money with the hotel reservation, we lost our money with the next flight from Belize City to San Pedro since we can’t even get to Belize at all now, and we lost the money we spent for Ubers to the airport and the ridiculous amount spent on nasty airport food. But apparently we have to speak to someone on the website to get a refund, there’s no phone number or department in the airport to speak to.

I’m writing this review one day after the incident and I still have yet to receive my bag OR the screwed up itinerary with all of Copa’s changes to our flight. And to make matters worse, when we checked our flight on their My Flights website page, it had the nerve to say the flight to Panama was arriving “On Time”. On time! 2 hours later! Yet it says on time! Copa Airlines is by far the worst airline I have ever flown and the fact that even an employee said that we’d have better luck receiving a refund through our bank than through Copa is extremely telling of their greed and disregard to customer needs. Do nots waste your money on this airline.

Original review: June 1, 2021

One star is too high!!! I got turned away one hour before my flight for reasons that are still unclear. They said I had an onward flight to Colombia (I did not) and I needed to show them some paperwork (which I obviously didn't have). And now??? Customer service is useless. No information to share. Might as well have been talking with a picnic table. Avoid this airline!

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 19, 2021

Very interesting airline... basically we were at the airport 2 hours before our flight and we waited online but by time the line was over it was only an hour and a half before the flight. They didn't let us into the airport and they had military goons at the front blocking the entrance. I've never experienced something like this in America before. We waited even longer... No one even came to talk to us and this was an international flight. In the US if you miss a flight you can go in and rebook but they really locked us out of the airport in a foreign country in 100° weather with us nowhere to go. They didn't even have the courtesy to come talk to us. Then when you called them up they don't even offer a refund or a rebook without a cancellation fee. I hope this company goes bankrupt and all their employees lose their jobs and retirements. Really bad people.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2021

My flight were cancelled for Jan. 1, 2021. I did not receive any notice from COPA about this. I found out by checking the flights and saw they no longer existed on the dates I was flying. The message when I would put my reservation number in the website said to contact COPA, but no one ever answered the phones. I requested reimbursement via their website and have not received ONE DIME. I have called them 3 times, finally got ahold of them, and they put me on hold, give me the run around and tell me to call in a week. I have filed a dispute with my credit card company. When an airlines cancels they must reimburse you. This is unethical.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2021

For the second time Copa cancelled our flights, without email, phone call. We only realized our flights were cancelled when they sent us our boarding pass to print. Not even any intelligent booking appeared on the booking. We called, long wait, no courtesy, no apology no attempt to help or change flights. I own a tourist business in Panama, my advice to all our guests, AVOID COPA.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2020

We purchased 5 confirmed tickets with Copa from Pereira, Colombia to Dallas, Texas for December 28/2020. One week ago we found out that the airline cancelled our tickets without telling us! Nobody called us or emailed or contacted us in any way. They change our reservation to another flight. They simply took our money and cancelled our ticket! I called their customer service and asked for a solution, The phones numbers don't work, the agency told me they simply have no more space in coach, They don't respond for the money!!!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2020

We purchased 3 confirmed tickets with Copa from Miami to Santa Cruz, Bolivia for December 21. Today we found out that the airline cancelled our tickets without telling us! Nobody called us or emailed or contacted us in any way. They change our reservation to another flight. They simply took our money and cancelled our ticket! I called their customer service and asked for a solution, they told me they simply have no more space in coach and if I wanted to fly that day I have to pay a lot of money to go to Business class.

Of course I didn't accept that and I told them, "You cancelled my CONFIRMED and PAID for reservation, you have to give me a solution." They simply kept me waiting on the phone and finally hung up on me. I have NEVER experienced anything like that in 30 years of international travel. This is obviously a terrible company. Why would they cancel a paid for ticket and not notify the passenger? I sincerely encourage everyone to stay away from this terrible airline.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2020

Been stuck in Nicaragua for 7 months waiting for a refund or a flight back home. Copa is not even answering the phone anymore. Filed a complaint to BBB, hope I get my 640$ back, but I'm not holding my breath. Worst airline ever.

Original review: July 24, 2020

I booked a flight from Panama, city Panama, my grandmother died, when I was checking the clerk saw a problem with my Resident card, at the end he proceeded to almost scream telling me that I could not use my card anymore or they will take.

Original review: July 8, 2020

I booked a flight for March 30 to the DR & it was cancelled due to the Coronavirus which is expected & not their fault. After I found out my flight was cancelled, I tried to contact them to request a refund because it wouldn’t work on their website & the only number they have available for the U.S was not in service for over 2 months. I emailed them & didn’t get a response for 4 weeks & they said I would have to wait 8 weeks for a refund. 8 weeks passed & I still did not receive a refund. I decided to just rebook since the borders would be open in July. I rebooked my flight & they decided to notify me the day before my flight that my flight was cancelled. I called them & now their phones are finally working but when I spoke to the customer service reps, they had no sympathy for me & just kept saying I would have to wait till August 7.

I asked to speak to a supervisor & he was no help at all. So I had to book a new flight with American Airlines & pay extra money plus delay my trip by 4 days because of them. Now I have to wait a extra 8 weeks just to get my money back. I would advise everyone to just steer clear of this airline. Their customer service is horrible & I feel like I’m going to have a very hard time trying to get my money back.

Copa Airlines Company Information