2.7/5 (70 ratings)

About Copa Airlines

Copa Airlines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Copa Airlines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Copa Airlines?

Original review: May 18, 2022

The airline decides to change our original departure/return times, and we call trying to adjust our flights accordingly a normal procedure for most flights. Copa Air is the biggest scam I've witnessed they basically switched one of our flights to profit off of us by giving us an undesirable flight at 2 am and when we called to correct it "MIND YOU WITHIN THE HOUR OF THIS CHANGE GOING THROUGH ON THEIR SIDE" they tried to charge us an exorbitant fee of "$3000" to return our original departure time of 3pm. I explained I have an exam that morning and that I physically can not take the flight that they changed it to. This has to be the worst airline I've ever witnessed. Spirit airline is better. Instead I am forced to pay 300 and rebook with American Airlines instead. Disgrace of an airline.

Original review: May 8, 2022

I will never ever forget the way this company treated me and my family. Not one person in this company speaks English properly. They do not have supervisors. They lie and lie and lie and scam and only look at you as a dollar bill. I do not think this airline is safe. I will do everything in my power until I have no more breath in me to make this company lose any and every customer possible and bankrupt!

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 5, 2022

I needed to change a flight for work. The initial flight was super reasonable, and it seemed like it would be an easy process. However, you cannot use flight credit on the Copa website, so I had to call. I was on the phone for over 2 hours, and I was hung up on three times. When it was all said and done, what should have been a $50 flight change cost was $225. It was ridiculous. Every time I asked to talk to a supervisor the agent put me on hold and then came back and relayed information from the supervisor. This happened at least six times. When he was finally ready to put me through, he told me to remember that I was going to have to be on hold for "a long, long time" because the supervisor was doing other things. Basically he was just trying to discourage me. The whole thing was terrible.

Original review: March 17, 2022

I took a trip to Panama using Copa Airlines and upon arrival my suitcase was broken. I made a complaint to the airlines and because I complained on the 8th day they refused to do anything. Their policy is to make a complaint within 7 days, but you would think they would provide some kind of incentive. Never flying with them again, letting everyone I know to avoid them at all costs.

Original review: March 14, 2022

Hi there, I don't usually take the time to write reviews of this kind but I have to take the time now after what happened. We scheduled a flight from SFO to BOG on March 14, 2022 and after several weeks waiting found that the flight was delayed for 6 hours. Upon calling, we were told that we could arrange a new flight by talking to the airport directly. Upon arrival I was informed that there was no way for the staff at the airport to help with the change as the staff were hired by a third party.

To add salt to injury, we were traveling with pets which proved to play against us as the pets were not in their records (fees had been paid to Copa) and a form was missing which we were never informed of in any of the more than five calls that we had with airline reps. We had prepaid our luggage and were told that they didn't have any records of such payment. We had to show our receipts as proof that we had already paid for our bags. We had paid three consecutive seats in the same row but we were given seats in different rows. We were only allowed to move after explaining our situation to later be asked to move again by a different flight attendant. I don't know if there is a way to make matters worse but they informed us that our connection flight would be delayed another 24 hours. I honestly don't recommend this airline to anyone and hope that everyone learns this lesson.

Original review: March 13, 2022

We made reservation on their website only to be told that the airline never received reservation. I was asked to forward my confirmation number to customer service and wait 15 days. It has been more than a month and no one replies. Never fly with this airline unless you are willing to take a chance and be stranded. No customer service.

Original review: March 11, 2022

My wife was left behind for ticket manager mistake and computer had problems causing delay on boarding. I wait 23 min and I was FIRST IN LINE AT BUSINESS. Because issues with system, they had minutes to finishing boarding passengers and my wife's covid test was taking at 4pm at same time I took mine. Because this gentleman who was in charge to the check in counter in Miami for our flight CM 433, was rude and screaming because he did not have time to listen to a paying customer that was flying for the first time with Copa on businesses class that the date they THINK she took the test, was actually 4pm in Florida but because the lab who did test was in California and they are 3 hours behind, the time on her Covid test was different.

I showed him the test time according to Eastern Time but because he was late to boarding passengers (not my fault, was they system), I calm try to explain to him, but he was blind and extremely nervous. Well, he didn't give us opportunity to speak and scream to me that I better go, or we both would be left behind. He then told me to go, and he will put my wife on next flight, but part of our bags was already dispatched, and we use same luggage type and my wife stayed with two to take on the next flight as he promised. Again, he did promise to me that she would be in next flight, and we pay for business class, and she will be fine be on next flight. I left on plane on flight CM433 and I had no choice. We paid $500 for driver to take us from Galeão Airport to Cabo Frio and because his ignorance, I had to pay again because this city is 3 hours away by car.

Per his request because NOW HER COVID TEST EXPIRED, she was forced to pay $178 for a new Covid test. To make matters worse, he lied to us and left my wife on airport till next day and without her medication that was dispatched with me. I am handicap and my wife has serious health problems. When she checked to boarding, he told her business class was FULL and gave the er a seat on back of the plane. After few hours suffering without her medication, my wife start getting sick on plane and she was rescued by flying crew who brought her to business and they took care her and she noticed that he AGAIN, lied to her, was four seats empty and AGAIN, we did pay for business. At same token, I took picture showing that the seat on businesses that supposed be my wife was occupied by another PAYING passenger on 3E (I took picture to proof).

Now after she start feeling better, they refuse her a better seat and send my wife that was sick, back to economy even with business with four seats empty. When she arrived in Panama, another mistake, he put her on a 5 HOUR LAYOVER, at this point she was completely lost. She went to a counter and again, they did nothing to put her on a short layover flight. Remember that our original flight was on businesses and layover was 1.5 hours. After she seat for 5 hours, AGAIN she was told no seats on businesses, and she was seated in economic class. After losing 25 hours because an unprepared manager who did not listen to one single word, we were saying make a huge mistake, our vacation was ruined.

I was in Cabo Frio without any communication with my wife, but our transportation company got hold of her and find out that she was going to be on flight arriving at 12:45am. They couldn't drive her to final destination because was very dangerous. So now my wife that was already sick, had to wait till 5am (daytime) so transportation company could drive her for 3 hours and finally get her medication. My wife spent 25 hours between airports. Spent a full day at 5-star hotel sleeping recovering from all this trouble created by your poor trained manager in Miami. We start feeling better and tried to enjoy our vacation that was actually an emergency family visit trying to get in time to say Farewell to my uncle who is cancer terminal on advanced stage.

We got early on the 28 because our flight was on the 29th but AGAIN, this manager, put my wife on a different flight and AGAIN she was going to be left for hours in Panama without me. She is legally my caregiver, so you know, again, I am handicap. We spoke with Elizabeth (check-in manager at Galeão Airport, explained all we went through with Copa, and she told me everything will be ok. She saw the mistakes and actually she founded that the manager in Miami, booked my wife flight separate once again and she was going to fix. We requested an upgrade and I offered to pay because they took her out my reservation and only me was approved for business. Elizabeth told me business was full but did change my wife to my dear and I went to economic class. Based on her health issues we thought was the best decision. I offer to pay AGAIN for business to be next to my wife, but Elizabeth GUARANTEE me was full.

When we noticed business had AGAIN four seats EMPTY, I request flight attendant to contact Elizabeth because she was there, and I showed her that seats were empty and again I asked her to let me stay with my wife but was denied and she saw her mistake. We flew separated but Stewart saw our dilemma and allowed me to bring her medication and kept eyes on my wife. The crew from flight CM441 was amazing and is not at fault but my Godfather is the CEO for Tap Airlines and I know is not possible to change seat class after doors are close. They are not at fault but again, another manager lied to us. At Panama, I waited about 45 minutes and they tried to put us on a 5- or 6-hours layover flight, that is when I showed my health condition and customer service offered to send us to a hotel but was too late, I ran out my medication and I told customer service in Panama airport to take me to a hospital instead hotel.

The agent then make call and found way to put us on next flight to Miami about 1 hour later, I AGAIN asked for an upgrade that I PAID FOR but was refused. I flew economic, business and first since moved to USA in 1988 and NEVER experienced anything like that. I am preparing a letter to your corporation and post moments on video and pictures, but I will wait till hear from your company how so many mistakes happened with same passenger and on 4 of 4 flights with you guys. I need to return to Brazil in July, and I am very scared to use your airlines again. My whole family flew with Copa, they been using Copa for 5 years and warned me for some issues, but I thought was just delays. I was wrong. So please have someone from COPA Airline to contact me on my email ** or my phone **. I do have documentation and videos for all that I ate here.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2022

I purchased business class tickets for our family in 2019 to Lima. Due to pandemic we were not able to travel. I decided to exchange the tickets to travel in June 2022 and first I was told our tickets have no value, then after arguing with 2 more employees I was able to exchange our tickets and not only Copa charged me fare difference but also change fee of $300 for each ticket. Their customer service is the worst ever and to get connected to call center in Miami took me several hours. Avoid Copa if you can use different airlines.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2022

It has now been 15 days and still waiting for my lost suitcase. The Copa check in rep "accidentally" forgot to put a tag on my suitcase after I expressed my displeasure at her allowing a party of 6 customers to cut in front of the 2.5 hour long wait check in line over 100 customers (Copa only had 2 reps when other airlines normally 8). When I turned my back to help a different Copa customer use my credit card in exchange for cash to get their bag checked in. I turned back around and it was payback time. My suitcase intentionally placed by spiteful Copa rep with ax to grind onto the conveyor belt without a check in tag essentially losing my bag for me.

She then told me it was my fault. She grinned and took pleasure in telling me I could always cancel my flight and try and find my unmarked bag somewhere in the Atlanta baggage underworld. Spent over 20 hours on customer service on hold Copa does not answer. My neighbor went back to Copa desk two days after and told disinterested Copa reps at check in where my bag was, at Delta lost baggage. Been 12 days since then my suitcase still intentionally being held hostage by Copa reps with an ax to grind. Unprofessional reps, no one will help resolve and they take it personal if you expect things to run well.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2022

Stay away from this company if you have other options. I bought round trip tickets for my parents, from Tampa to South America in Copa, and so far they've changed/cancelled the return flights several times. They simply cancel a particular return flight without considering the impact on paying passengers, and to rebook is a nightmare. I spent, literally, hours trying to talk to an agent. The first agent who answered, after waiting in the queue for two hours, didn't help and simply put me back in the queue again. After another hour I got tired and hang up.

The second day, after getting the "lines are busy" message for hours and after waiting for over one hour in the queue, an agent answered and said the return flight was cancelled (which I knew already). Then she said she needs to look for options, took my phone number, and promised to call me in two minutes. She never did. This is my experience with these people on this last cancellation. The first two times were similar. It's almost impossible to get someone who can help. I'll never use them again.

Copa Airlines Company Information