2. Travel
  3. Airlines

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.34/5

Copa Airlines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Copa Airlines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Copa Airlines?

Original review: July 24, 2020

I booked a flight from Panama, city Panama, my grandmother died, when I was checking the clerk saw a problem with my Resident card, at the end he proceeded to almost scream telling me that I could not use my card anymore or they will take.

Original review: July 8, 2020

I booked a flight for March 30 to the DR & it was cancelled due to the Coronavirus which is expected & not their fault. After I found out my flight was cancelled, I tried to contact them to request a refund because it wouldn’t work on their website & the only number they have available for the U.S was not in service for over 2 months. I emailed them & didn’t get a response for 4 weeks & they said I would have to wait 8 weeks for a refund. 8 weeks passed & I still did not receive a refund. I decided to just rebook since the borders would be open in July. I rebooked my flight & they decided to notify me the day before my flight that my flight was cancelled. I called them & now their phones are finally working but when I spoke to the customer service reps, they had no sympathy for me & just kept saying I would have to wait till August 7.

I asked to speak to a supervisor & he was no help at all. So I had to book a new flight with American Airlines & pay extra money plus delay my trip by 4 days because of them. Now I have to wait a extra 8 weeks just to get my money back. I would advise everyone to just steer clear of this airline. Their customer service is horrible & I feel like I’m going to have a very hard time trying to get my money back.

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 27, 2020

This is definitely the worst of the worst airline ever..I came to checked in at Fortaleza airport in Brazil like 3 hours earlier. The manager wouldn't let me checked in because apparently there was a problem with my ESTA to enter America..Then he took 4 hours to check that everything was ok, to then said everything is fine now..By that time my flight had already left and he would't give me a new flight or give me a refund although it was all his fault for taking so long to check on something...I ended up losing $1400, how horrible..I would definitely never ever book a flight with this airline again..and I wouldn't recommend anyone to fly with them..They have the worst policies and don't they even care about their customers.

Original review: April 21, 2020

Things are crazy with Covid. Had a returned flight booked for on COPA. Given the Covid, paid $600 to change ticket for earlier return. Was able to book April 25. Later they called and canceled the 25th. Was able to re-book for May 2nd. They again canceled. At this point, I decided to bite the bullet and go back to my original return date and requested they refund what I paid to change the ticket. They refused but told me my ticket was good until the end of the year. It is amazing how as a passenger I have to be understanding when they cancel their flights, but they have no regard for doing what is fair to the passenger. COPA is an archine airline that should not be operating internationally. Their English is horrible and every phone connection reminded me of 1970's international calling.

Original review: March 25, 2020

Was flying my wife's nephew here from Chile to Tampa. Be his 1st time in the USA because of the Virus-19 Disney & Universal closed, all of our beaches closed. We we're not quite sure what to do but now COPA cancelled our flight and refuses to give us a refund. Talk to customer service and they just read the same line off of a paper, no help at all. Now we're going to lose $641.25 being disabled and on a limited income. These people should be ashamed of themselves, not just me thousands of people are losing their money to this airlines now.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2020

Copa Airlines continues to plummet in quality. I flew last year 2019 December-January. Both to and from experiences were horrible. Talk about airplane food but Copa's was worst than that. We were given a vile tasting mystery meat sandwich for lunch; after an almost 8 hour overnight flight, the only food we got for breakfast was a sad packaged fruit bar and a drink. The cabins are outdated and uncomfortable. The airplane staff treated passengers as more of a burden than not. I stood up for a glass of water (since I was never offered) and they just poured me a glass, shoved it in my face without making eye contact once! They are were also annoyed that I had to stand up to use the restroom since coincidently the trolly was also beginning to pass down the hall. Coming back from my trip, the in flight entertainment system shut down. Terrible experience. I hope to never have to fly Copa again.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

After flying with Copa a few times I experienced something that is reason for me to NEVER fly with them again. Four of us boarded in SFO with the weighed, sized and approved carry-on items but when transferring in PTY to Quito, we were refused boarding. Because our carry-ons were either fragile or expensive items, gate-check was not an option. Sorry, Christmas gifts for airport workers in Panama City is not something I'm ready to do.

We were allowed to board SFO to PTY and a later flight from PTY to UIO but in the meanwhile, we were refused boarding and had to wait almost 5 more hours to get to Quito. At one point a manager told us that if we didn't like the carry-on rules on the Copa website, we should contact them about changing them. Seriously? The gate agent refused to follow Copa's rules then a manager, we still have questions about this guy just being a friend of the gate agent's, tells us we should contact Copa about changing their policy.... Never again. For all the goofy stuff that goes on with air travel, this is the first time that our contract was changed on the whim of a gate agent that was probably having a bad day and decided to take it out on the Gringo.... Save yourself the problems and stick with American flagged airlines to Latin America.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

I arrived an hour early and I was standing in line and got to the counter and they told me I could not check in because I was not on time. The lady was literally still there and she seen me in line. Then she went on and told me they recommend to come 4 hours early so this doesn’t happen. The flight was at 12am the terminals were empty and she was sitting at the desk. So I called Copa airlines customer service. Nobody seem to care and the offered me a $300 fine pulse the difference in a ticket that was $1400.00 and Aeromax was selling tickets for $715. And they didn’t want to refund my money because they said I was late. Ruined my vacation. Worst airline. Don’t use them. I heard many horrible stories from their paying customers.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

Flying with Copa was a nightmare. I missed a connection due to a late arriving Copa flight, and so I was rebooked. But I was told my checked bag was sent ahead of me to my destination. When I arrived, it was late at night and there were no Copa representatives at the airport. My bag was also not there. So I made a lost baggage report over the phone and was told they would get back to me in 24-48 hours. Time went by, no information. So I called customer service, and they told me that it could take 3-5 days. They gave me the numbers for baggage service at the airport and at the headquarters in Panama. I called both numbers, and no one answered. I emailed the baggage department, and got an automated response telling me to wait 15 days for an answer.

Several more days and frustrated phone calls went by. Finally I went in person to the Copa sales office in the city. They called the airport and told me I had to go to the airport (1 hour away) that afternoon and talk with the person there. I went. The person there said that my bag had been there from the beginning, but I hadn't claimed it, so they sent it to Panama City. He told me to call customer service and gave me another email that replied with another automated response. In short, it's been 10 days, no bag, no help, no competency from anyone at the airline. They seem trained to pass the problem along without offering the slightest bit of customer assistance. Absolutely disgraceful.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

Our flight was overbooked coming from Panama to Fort Lauderdale. They put us in an later flight to Miami (different destination) and as soon we got to Miami at 10:00 p.m. one of our suitcases didn't show up. They only person in the carousel area didn't want to do the claim and told us to wait for her outside of the immigration area that she will meet us there to take us to the office. She never showed up and when we tried to find the Copa airlines office they told us that there was no one in Miami. The Copa counter was closed and there was nobody around to make the claim.

After hours of trying to call them we managed to make a complaint and now we don't know what is happening with our luggage. The Copa customer service at the Miami international airport is horrible, the woman lied to us and let us believe that she was going to take care of the missing luggage. The Copa customer service online doesn't work either and calling them is even worse. Now we have a missing luggage with a least $1000 in value inside and nobody give us an answer. They made the end of our vacation a nightmare. I hope there is a lawyer out there that can do something about situations like this, airlines are doing whatever they want with the customers.

Copa Airlines Company Information