Copa Airlines

Compare Airlines

Research top Airlines recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I recently booked a flight on Copa Airlines for a personal event in Guatemala. My flight plan was O'Hare, Panama City, San Jose Costa Rica, and Guatemala City. My flight down was uneventful, but the return flight was a nightmare. I arrived at the Guatemala City airport at 3:45 am for a 6:15 flight departure. I joined several people in line. There were no ticket counter personnel in place, so we stood around waiting... and waiting... and waiting. Finally, at almost 4:30 am, a few women sauntered into position behind the counter. After spending several moments flipping their hair, chatting with each other, disappearing behind a door and then coming back, they started checking in passengers. It was a very long process, as each check-in was punctuated by several side conversations with other check-in personnel or miscellaneous airport personnel walking by.

I was finally checked in at 4:50 am, leaving me 35 minutes to clear security and be at my gate by the 5:27 am gate check-in. I did get through security and made it to my gate. I boarded my flight, which was only 5 minutes late in departing, by some miracle, and we arrived on time in Panama City. That is where the real nightmare began -- I didn't realize it, but the antics in Guatemala City were just a warm-up.

I had an 8 hour layover in Panama City, so I thought I would find something to eat, browse the stores a little, and get to my gate in plenty of time. However, customer service at that airport is nonexistent. Service was so excruciatingly slow in the food court that I finally ate the Guatemalan candy in my carry-on that I had purchased as souvenirs for friends at home. I got a bottle of water and a Coke at some stand and began to peruse the boards to see if my departure gate had changed from what was on the original boarding pass.

I looked at those flight boards for 7 hours, and my flight was never posted. I went to the Copa customer service desk, but there was never any personnel staffing it. I went to gate number 4, where I was supposed to depart, but was told my flight wasn't scheduled for that gate. I went back to the central area, checked customer service, which still wasn't staffed. Checked the boards, which still weren't updated, and sat at Gate 20. After about 4 hours of this, a woman leisurely strolled up to the customer service desk. I immediately approached her, was told I would have to wait while she checked something else, and then looked on in astonishment as she finally got up, walked away, and disappeared. It was another 45 minutes before someone came back.

I was finally told my departure was at Gate 4, so I went back over there to wait for another 3 and a quarter hours. A flight to Quito was boarding, but I waited through that and the new information that was posted confirmed it was my departure gate. I settled in to wait, with my water and Coke purchased at the airport. There were 2 other people waiting for the flight, both of whom were trying to rest. This proved impossible, as no fewer than 12 women appeared, apparently ready to perform another security screening at the gate. They sat in all the customer seats (which were by now filling up with passengers), screeching, gossiping, and cackling at the top of their lungs. This continued for well over 2 hours.

Then, as abruptly as they had descended, they all got up and meandered over to the security screening equipment, while one woman started appearing before passengers, giving them commands in Spanish. As I didn't speak Spanish, I didn't know what she said. When I said, "No habla Espanol," she rolled her eyes, spluttered off something else, then pointed in back of me. It appeared we were going through another security screening, as the entire area had been cordoned off. Fine...

It was now one hour before the flight was to depart, all the passengers were appearing for the boarding check-in, and after spending 2 hours sitting around listening to the security personnel trade personal gossip, they were finally going to start working 300+ passengers through a screening. So I went through the screening, where they confiscated my water and Coke. When I told the I had purchased them in the airport, they just jabbered, waved their hands, and threw the liquids in the trash. I wouldn't have minded if there was a sign in English explaining it was policy or something, but I was angry that there was no one who could explain anything in English. I found a seat, waited... and had to go to the bathroom before the 5 hour flight I was about to board.

I grabbed my bags, walked under the rope, and went to the bathroom. When I returned and attempted to re-enter the waiting area, one of the women planted herself in front of me and started talking again, jabbing toward me with her finger. I repeated I didn't speak Spanish, so she then pointed and gave me a shove toward the screening line, which I went through again.

No one spoke a single word of English; there were no signs or instructions in English; and this was a flight that was going to Chicago, Illinois in the US. Needless to say, after all the screenings, which proceeded at the pace of a turtle stuck in hot tar on the road, the flight was half an hour late departing. While the flight crew was fine, they could not make up for the downright insolence and in-your-face attitude of the airport personnel.

The icing on the cake? When I finally arrived home, eager to give my kids their souvenirs, I opened my bags only to find complete mayhem. The worldwide accessible, TSA-approved locks that I had been assured by Copa Airlines were easily accessible by their personnel with a key? Gone. They had not only been removed from my bags but were not returned, leading me to believe that the baggage security in Panama City had never bothered with a key, but just cut them off. And my baggage?

They had opened every zippered bag, every wrapped object, every plastic bag with dirty clothes and souvenirs and cosmetics, etc. and literally just dumped it all together in the center of each bag. It was a jumbled mess, with liquids over everything because even the clear Ziploc bags that held my shampoo, etc. had been dumped and the bottles had come open (or were perhaps deliberately opened). Several of the souvenirs I had purchased had been stolen, as were a few coins and notes of Guatemalan money I had unwittingly left in a zippered bag.

Dishonest. Rude. Unprofessional. Deliberately aggressive and unwilling to help. Take your pick of an adjective to describe Copa and the Panama City airport in particular. I will be writing to my congressmen, state representatives, and the Department of Transportation to find out why we allow this airline to do business with the United States. I will be avoiding this airline in the future, and I would highly advise anyone else to do the same.

This company has no places to insert a middle name. However when you put your first and last name, the company said that your name is incomplete and you will not board the plane. Now when you're trying to explain the situation they say that it is impossible to add the name. They always mention that it is a policy of not adding the extra missing name. In addition, they say you have to buy another ticket and the money that you spent to buy the previous ticket will be refunded after taking the necessary taxes in the next two months.

Further, customer service representatives don't know what they are doing. When you call or write an email, everyone will give a different answer. They bounced customers around in their call center and treat them like pigs. If you don't speak Spanish, they will hang up the phone in your face as well. When you inquire about a refund, they will tell you that they are not responsible in order to avoid paying the full amount.

I clearly don't know why the United States allow this airline to do business in the U.S or land in our shores. They are not compatible with the fair business practices that we have in this country. They should remain in Panama and treat their people like that rather than create glitch in their system in order to steal our citizens' money. I will contact the department of transportation to report this unfair act. I notice COPA Airlines is a company that does not understand customers and they treat them like pigs. It is time to petition this company and look into their business practices. Perhaps and only perhaps customers can get a peace of mind. Please please get rid of COPA so that they don't land in our shores.

I flew Newark to Panama City on United flight 1021 on 9/11 and then had a connecting flight on Copa flight 216 on 9/11. It was all one ticket and the 2 airlines have a code share.The United flight was delayed, and I called up Copa from Newark to inform them that I would be cutting it close on my connecting flight, and they said they will work with United to make sure I don't miss my flight to Rio assuming the United flight got in within a reasonable time. I was going on a business trip, and to me being in Rio on time was critical. To my dismay, while United made up for the delay, the Copa flight from Panama left leaving me stranded until the next day. United provided me with overnight hotel stay and it took me two hours to get out of immigration and customs at Panama City.

The following afternoon, I reached Tocumen airport to get on my rescheduled Copa flight to Rio Janeiro. This time, Copa's flight was delayed, and yet they didn't inform the passengers until they arrived at the gate. There was no apology, customers were laying around like cattle and the delay was over 3 hours. By this time, I had unnecessarily spent ~24 hours at Panama City which was horrible as I lost one day's worth of work. The flight from Panama City to Rio is almost 8 hours long, the seats in business class don't even recline beyond 45 degrees, and it's an overnight, very uncomfortable flight. Food was terrible, there are loud TV announcements going off in the middle of the night.

The fare wasn't cheap. For the delay caused and the unapologetic, customer insensitive behavior, Copa's behavior and service is like that of a third world airline treating its passengers with no dignity. My colleagues who flew United all the way from Newark to Rio through Houston or American through Miami, had no issues at all. I dread going back home as I will have to fly Copa again. That will be my last time. I would advise everyone to avoid this airline and Panama City airport.

I was charged $142.60 (ONE HUNDRED FORTY TWO DOLLARS AND 60 CENTS) for ONE (1) suitcase and it was NOT delivered to my destination: SAN JOSE, CALIFORNIA. The manner in which the customer is treated does not justify the amount charged. The aggressiveness and lack of respect to the consumer, makes one feel as you are receiving a FREE service when the reality is that the end DOES NOT JUSTIFY the manner in which they conduct their business. I will request a refund of my $142.60 because I am retired with a fixed income and COPA lost my baggage, after a brutal verbal abuse from their representants.

I traveled to Brazil before the Olympics from late April-May, 2016 with Copa Airlines. Originally had traveling arrangements and 2 roundtrip tickets to Brazil in March. Unfortunately, I had a emergency, was in the hospital and had surgery! There was no alternative to cancelling flights or receiving credit for flight cancellation even with proof of documentation for medical emergency. When I called Copa Airlines to change my flight for a future date I had 2 options; Lose my flight = loss of money. Pay for a new flight. Either way I ended up losing money. I want to be credited for a future flight or my money back for buying 2 round trip tickets. There should be alternatives for EMERGENCIES!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Copa Airlines?

COPA Airlines. Getting your confirmed tickets purchased with Aeroplan will involve a great deal of luck. Round trip Toronto Canada Guayaquil Ecuador transiting through Panama (and Bahamas on return) purchased with Aeroplan points. COPA is a Star Alliance member, and my tickets were purchased 4 months prior to travel. I received documents from Aeroplan that all was confirmed. One month prior to travel I decided to e-mail COPA to confirm my reservations. No reply.

Problem 1... outward bound. Arrived Panama via AirCanada Rouge for connection to Ecuador via COPA. Went to get our boarding cards from COPA agent. "Nope, you have no tickets." The COPA agent was banging on the computer like it was her first time. After 30 minutes looking, "nope, no tickets. Not our problem, you need to call Aeroplan." What????? I'm in Panama with no phone, and my flight is in 1 hour. Isn't there something else you can do like talk to a supervisor? "Nope, not our fault, call Aeroplan."

Luckily, the flight crew was still kicking around from my AirCanada flight... explained the situ... showed her my confirmed itinerary. She went in to her system, pulled up my e-tickets... yup, everything is fine... COPA are idiots (like this isn't the first time)... let's go. So, now I've got an AC employee holding COPAs feet to the fire... After 20 more minutes or so and another employee... yup there we are. Seems we have confirmed tickets after all, but tickets booked with points are put into a different place and blah blah. Got our boarding passes. Later on I thought what about coming back??? Went to a different COPA agent, she popped in my name, up comes all the info for my return trip... yup... were there... no problems. Printed off my full itinerary to assure me. OK.

Problem 2 homeward bound. Day before travel went online to see my COPA reservations for Guayaquil Panama - Bahamas. In Bahamas I switch to AirCanada. I'm not worried about that. Only thing coming up is Panama - Bahamas, no Guayaquil - Panama. Tried inquiring via their chat service, but that was a useless endeavor. Off to the airport. Yup, I have a confirmed ticket from Panama, but not to Panama. "Well, how can that be? Don't you see it's the same trip?" "Yup, we have your name but Aeroplan obviously didn't confirm the seat. There are seats available, but none that I can give you because you're in the points category points fly standby." Well that's a new one.

"No no no look at all the documentation I have Aeroplan says confirmed, COPA itinerary I got in Panama says confirmed I am not standby." I explained the problem I encountered (and resolved) on my way down... try looking elsewhere. "Nope, you have to call Aeroplan." Tried convincing the agent she has to look for me in a different way. "Nope, not our fault, call Aeroplan." 1 hour later no success talking with a human from Aeroplan. Only sitting on hold before the automated system booted me.

Back to desk, "please try harder to find me." Same response. "Only option is to buy a ticket Guayaquil - Panama... only first class left. $800 please." Off to travel agent across the hall. Yes, she'll sell me one but she's worried I would be stuck in Panama given this comedy of errors that is COPA... I should go back and get proof in my hands that Panama - Bahamas is confirmed.

OK, back to COPA... but now I ask to talk to the shift supervisor. Same story... "nothing we can do... call Aeroplan... their mistake..." blah blah. "No no I'll accept that. I just want you to print off confirmation of my Panama - Bahamas ticket. And if possible, a document showing the screw up on the Guayaquil ticket so I have something to use when I get home and talk with Aeroplan." Whenever I have problems with companies I always try to turn verbal into written. Watch Judge Judy for insight into that. OK, she can see me but doesn't know how to print my confirmation. She calls someone. Blah blah... click click click. Oh, look, my seat on Guayaquil was just confirmed BS... I understood the conversation perfectly. She was just told how to pull me up... JUST LIKE I was trying to explain about what happened in Panama.

I have my tickets. All is well. Later on, check on line, yup, everything is now showing. Morale of story. Be prepared to go through hell to get your tickets when booked with Aeroplan. This is not the fault of Aeroplan, but clearly COPA employees do not know how to use their own system. And when confronted with the need to step up to go above and beyond to help a (about to be) stranded traveler, their default mode seems to be "not our problem." Yes. Yes it was, in both cases.

If you find yourself having to deal with COPA to get your confirmed tickets, once they go into not our fault mode, you'll need to find some way to change the script so that they're forced into doing an action that makes them have to talk to someone else who is hopefully more competent. They will not do it willingly. Only when you can maneuver them into a situation where they cant use not our fault as a reply will you have a shot at getting a different outcome. I don't know if this is a cultural or corporate attitude, but I only got unstuck in both cases by luck, in my opinion. I don't like traveling on luck.

My wife and I traveled with Copa on the way here to New York and the air stewardess was extremely rude with me, but I didn't make a big deal out of it. Today my wife is returning to Brazil with a layover in Panama City. Now they tell her that she is on stand-by! We bought confirmed tickets for more than 1,000 USD back in March and now they say she's on stand-by because they overbooked the flights due to the Olympics. Is this a joke or what? Steer clear of this airlines if you can! We got sucked in due to the extremely low prices, but the old adage never fails: You get what you pay for.

Copa is a very dishonest company. I was forced to purchase a ticket at the airport to return to Nicaragua, before they would issue boarding passes to me and my traveling companion. The price for one-way was almost $500 dollars. Roundtrip, $392. She had bus tickets showing she was returning to Nicaragua. I could see the scam here. The ticket counter said they were not valid? We purchased the tickets. After getting home, we noticed the price on the tickets was $342. I guess the guy at the counter got a $50 tip. I think they are thieves. The ticket dates need to be changed, I am sure NOBODY at Copa will do this without a huge fee. Guess she can use the ticket to return to Nicaragua and come back on the bus... Customer service at Copa SUCKS!

Do not I repeat do not ever ever send your dog through Copa Airlines. My dog was abused. My dog was going from JFK to Cali Colombia. So the flight was from JFK and stopping in Panama for 12 hrs. I had no choice. This was the only flight that could accommodate him. I was assured that in Panama that my dog would be taken care of. He would be walked and fed during this time period. I was told to leave the food and water taped to the top of the kennel which I did. When he left that was done. I was told numerous times by Copa that they had facilities and caring people that would take care of my dog's needs. Also I left the dog's leash and collar taped to the kennel which I was told to do.

Well what happened was disgusting. The dog was never walked or fed for the entire time. When I picked him up inside the kennel the dog had no choice but to pee and poo in the kennel. The food and water were still taped to the kennel. Nobody did anything so for almost 24 hrs my sweet dog was in horror. Nothing was done. Unreal. They all lied to me.They also stole my leash and dog collar. I should of known better when they would only accept cash. Very very bad company. My dog drank 3 bottles of water as soon as he got out of the kennel. Of course I put the water in his bowl. The water was finished within 3 min. Please do not send your pet with this place.

OH... MY... GOD! I usually don't read or write reviews because experiences can be drastically different case to case, but I should have done my homework in regards to Copa Airlines. Hands down, the worse airline and worse experience I have ever had, so writing this review was a must. Never mind the constant late flights with ridiculous time spent on the tarmac, or the uncomfortable flights; that I can deal with. What is unacceptable is the TERRIBLE APATHETIC customer service at every turn.

I was on a return flight Lima-San Francisco with a layover in Panama June 24 2016. I knew I had to leave the airport in Panama and may miss my connecting flight. I tried to make the airline aware of these unexpected errands because of checked baggage. There was nothing they could do about stopping my bag. Fine... Understandable (if that was truly the case). I did not make the connecting flight, however a friend who I was traveling with did and called to tell me that my bag was in SFO and hers was still in PTY. Why? Because they pulled the wrong bag off the plane... WTF. They told her my bag would be sent back that same night. It wasn't. She picked her bag up the following night and my bag was still sitting in baggage claim.

I've spoke to customer service every day for 6 days trying to locate the bag and they didn't even know it went to SFO. Now they can't even locate it. The numbers they give me to contact baggage claims in SFO and PTY are never answered. Somehow, my calls are conveniently dropped when speaking to "customer service representatives". When the calls are not dropped, I get the same speech: "Someone will call or email you within 24 hours"... Never happens. They'll say anything just to get you off the phone and push the issue to someone else. Just about everything in these other reviews I've experienced or have seen first hand happen to someone else during my travels.

If I could have given Copa a half star or no star, I would have. If I had 4 thumbs, they would have received 4 thumbs down. On a scale 1-10, they would have received a 0. Moral of the story, DO NOT SUPPORT a company like Copa Airlines; "THEY GOTSTA GO". Instead, pay the extra few bucks for a competitors service and help ensure companies like Copa stop getting away with this BS. Good luck and safe travels friends... but remember to support the competition.

I have very bad experience with Copa Airlines, I just like to suggest to everyone please do not travel with Copa Airlines. My sister lives in Belize. She has booked her ticket from cheapticket.com for her and her 6 yr old daughter from Cancun (Mexico) to New Delhi (India) via Cancun to Panama, Panama to Rio de Janeiro (Brazil), from Rio de Janeiro to Dubai and from Dubai to New Delhi. All tickets was confirmed. So on 17 June 2016 when she reached at Cancun airport at Copa Airline counter. They say "your tickets are not confirmed." She showed them all confirmed tickets but they didn't let her fly.

After that on 18 June 2016 we call to cheaptickets. They pickup the call, talk us then put our call on hold for 40 to 50 min. After that without any solution they just hang up the call. It happens 2-3 times. Finally on 19 June 2016 we talk to them for 16 hours. They talk with Copa airline and Emirates. After then they provide us new tickets 9 hours before departure. Its takes 10 hours to go Belize to Cancun via road. But luckily she reach on time. On 20 June 2016 when she go to Copa airline counter. Again they say the same ** that "your tickets are not confirmed." It's very hard to travel with child - she have to go back to Belize which is 10 hour drive. I'm very disappointed with Copa airlines and cheap tickets. She has suffer with all these things. It was an emergency in India. And she is still in Belize.

Copa Airlines - Flight 534. I have bouts of very intense spinal pain and I needed wheelchair help. Out of Bogota, I had that help but was in severe pain because my flight was delayed 2 3/4 hours, then we Sat on the tarmac for 20 minutes before take-off. The seated are very close together, giving no leg-room for anyone over 5'6", especially when the person ahead simply "must" lean back.

Apparently they forgot to order the bus to take us to the terminal at the end of the flight so we were left standing in the aisle for another 20 minutes. And they also forgot the wheelchair they had made such a point to promise before take-off. I am not a frequent flyer, but I have taken about 100 flights in the last 10 years. This was, bar none, the worst flight I have ever taken. I will pay more to use Avianca Airlines for future Latin American travel.

I flew with Copa, Los Angeles to San Salvador (with an overnight layover in Panama) on February 27, 2016. Despite the inconvenient layover, I thought the flight was alright. My backpack never arrived at the baggage carousel in San Salvador. An employee offered to help me after seeing me waiting long after everyone else left. We filed a Delayed Baggage Report there at the airport. I stayed in La Libertad, close to the airport, for a week just waiting. No backpack. I filed a Passenger Property Claim Form with an employee at the airport that detailed the value of every item I could remember in my backpack. I contacted Copa countless times via phone, email, in person at the airport. Without anything more than 'they should contact you' as a response.

After over two months, they emailed me that the backpack was lost and offered to cover a fraction of my claim. I responded that the claim (which I generously underestimated) should be paid in full. Now, May 11, 2016, it has been over two weeks since that email and despite talking with them over an hour on the phone, I've still no resolution. Moral of the story: Copa's customer service is horribly organized and I would advise against trusting them with your baggage.

I made a trip using COPA from the US to Paraguay. Upon arrival I was told my luggage was "open" by the COPA staff. Im not sure how this would have happened unless it was open by someone. In any case, the agent told me this and we tried to go through to determine what was missing (if anything). A few minutes later another agent comes with items that "came out" of the luggage. We still didnt know what was missing so we said we would file a claim. The agent said he would make note of it so we left. I followed up with customer service, and now they are saying since I didnt file a claim within 7 days of the flight they couldnt do anything. I told them the claim was noted on my arrival. It took them 3 weeks to even respond to the claim. And I rewrote a letter to them and still no response.

I understand that not all complaints can be answered immediately, but the time frame for them is that they will reply within 30 days. For a company that is trying to provide "world class service", they have a long way to go. The planes and service were mediocre but for the price, I assume that is where the value lies. If I were to fly this airline again, I know I would need to lock up my bags since they have unethical employees who go through bags. Im sure if they did an investigate at this airport it would be easy to catch. Since they dont value customers it will probably never happen.

My wife's luggage that was purchased new in December was damaged beyond repair by Copa Air on a flight from Panama City to San Jose, Costa Rica. The soft side luggage had the frame bent into a "z" pattern on one side. The counter for Copa determined this was "minor" damage. A letter to Copa confirmed this position. So the baggage is damaged beyond repair by "minor damage". I took it to a warranty replacement center for Samsonite and they confirmed that this was negligence on the part of the Airline's personnel and that the bag was not repairable. Further, their opinion was that this is not "minor damage". If I can avoid it, I will never fly Copa again and want others to be aware of the risk with regard to luggage and the total ignoring of customer service and arrogant treatment that I received at the hand of Copa. Beware... Do not use good luggage... They do not stand behind anything with regard to damage.

I just flew this Month 03/2016 with my Rugby team (and a couple of Wives/Girlfriends) from Boston to Buenos Aires with a stop in Panama City and the same route back home at the end of the month. Aside from the fact that there was no entertainment for 5.5 hrs., the TV's came down twice during the flight to show COPA advertisements. The real problem came on the return flight, or should I say once home. My pack, when I received it from the checked luggage belt was unclipped and one pocket unzipped. I thought... Oh great.

It was very late after 13hrs of flight time, I just took it home and unpacked it the next day. I found my carefully packed bag (to protect fragile gifts) was completely ransacked. None of the gifts were taken, just valuable personal property. I immediately called Logan Customs and TSA. They assured me that they ABSOLUTELY DO NOT open bags unless the owner is present. After talking with some of the others on the trip I find out that 4 others are missing property... We had 39 in our party, THATS 10% WTF. After some research, this is very common with COPA and a stop in Panama city. So, after 7 phone call to COPA and 2+hrs on hold, a plethora of arrogant, unhelpful "Customer Service Reps" (No Service Reps) that speak less English than a 1st year ESL student and a miserable phone connection to boot, I was "accidently' disconnected 4 times.

I tried filing a claim online... The website does let you submit your claim, SHOCKING!!! I had a Native Speaker friend call to initiate my claim. It was like pulling teeth even for him. ALL I CAN SAY FOLKS IS, PLEASE RECONSIDER GIVING THIS AIRLINE YOUR BUSINESS. I've used LAN/TAN and they're a little less corrupt.

On Friday January 29th 2016, I was scheduled to fly Toronto-Panama-Rio de Janeiro with Copa Airlines and my sister, Gabriella **, was scheduled to fly Montreal-Panama-Rio de Janeiro with Copa Airlines. The purpose of our trip was to attend our cousin's wedding on January 30th, 2016. When I presented to the check-in counter at Pearson airport, your customer service representative asked me for a visa. I explained to her that although Canadian citizens require a visa to go to Brazil, I have dual citizenship and can enter Brazil without a visa with my Bulgarian passport. As I was meeting my sister in Panama and we were flying together to Brazil, she had my Bulgarian passport with her in Montreal.

Nonetheless, your customer service representative refused to issue my boarding pass Panama-Rio as I did not have my Bulgarian passport with me at check-in. Since my sister's check-in was at the same time, the Montreal customer service representative contacted the Toronto check-in desk and assured her that I do have a valid passport to enter Brazil and they suggested to swipe my passport and issue my boarding pass from Montreal. However, the Toronto customer service representative chose to disregard that option, cancelled my flight and suggested for me to purchase a ticket for the next flight from Panama to Rio with Copa for 3000$.

I tried to explain to her several times that I wasn't violating any rules and regulations, as I was going to leave Panama and arrive in Brazil with the proper paperwork in hand, yet she threatened to cancel all my flights and prevent me from leaving Canada if I did not respect her decision. Therefore, she issued my boarding pass Toronto-Panama, cancelled my flight Panama-Rio and left me stranded without a ticket to my final destination. Considering the circumstances, I had to purchase a one way ticket Panama-Belo Horizonte-Rio de Janeiro, causing an additional travel time of 16hours, an unexpected financial burden of 1608.67$, and not to mention the physical and emotional stress I underwent as I missed my cousin's wedding, which was the reason of my trip.

In 2008, I traveled Montreal-Buenos Aires-Rio de Janeiro with American Airlines, under the same circumstances with my dual Citizenship and did not experience any of the above mentioned problems. I left Canada with my Canadian passport, connecting in Buenos Aires, and arrived in Rio de Janeiro with my Bulgarian passport.

As a star alliance member and frequent traveller, I have never received such poor customer service. At Pearson airport, your customer service representative was not only rude, unprofessional, and lacked a basic understanding of international laws, but most of all she was aggressive and unhelpful. As I try to put myself in her place, I think there were many different ways she could of approached and resolved the situation. She could of accepted the Montreal customer representative to issue my boarding pass using my Bulgarian passport as he recommended, which would of allowed me to fly as scheduled. She could of assigned me a seat on the next flight Panama-Rio de Janeiro 6hours later with Copa Airlines, without charging me 3000$ for the ticket as I had already paid for my trip.

As you read this, I hope you can put yourself in my situation and ask yourself whether or not you think I was treated fairly by your team member. How would feel if the following had occurred to you? As mentioned above, there were many ways to resolve the situation, none of which should of involved having to purchase a separate ticket or being delayed by 16 hours. Therefore, I ask to be fully reimbursed for the additional expenses I was imposed by the incompetence and lack of knowledge of your staff member.

Having read the online reviews of your airline company on various websites, it is undeniable that your customer service team does not understand the importance of developing and fostering long term relationships with clients in order to allow the long term growth and success of Copa airlines. You will note a growing number of negative comments and experiences by various travellers around the world, that I hope you will read and take constructively in order to improve the quality of your services and long term success of your company.

We booked a flight from Miami to San Jose (CR) with a layover on Panama. Pricing of the tickets were low enough to warrant the stop at Panama. Things began to look not-so-good upon our arrival to SJO. There was a minor traveling alone, and to our horror the minor left the airplane unescorted by airline personnel. This is absolutely inexcusable and shows gross negligence on all airline personnel. Had this been my kid, they would have been sued.

For unforeseen reasons we were forced to change our return date for this short vacation, and we contacted Copa customer service. The first thing they uttered was "there is a penalty fee". $160 isn't terrible. Then they advise us that we have to go to the actual airline office in San Jose because they cannot do that over the phone.

We waste a whole morning going to their office and talking to the [extremely obnoxious] customer service lady. First she restated that there was a $160 penalty per ticket. Then she goes ahead and says that there are no seats available at our rate range, and we would have to upgrade all 4 tickets to executive class, at $1400 each, plus, of course, the $160 penalty. This was simply outrageous. Then she quickly suggested we try another airline. Of course we were going to try another airline.

We got our flights booked in American at $400 each later that day. Out of curiosity we checked if there were seats available in Copa for that date, and to [not really] our surprise, there were tickets available at about $400 on the same date we were traveling. Copa is a greedy company that knows absolutely nothing about customer after-care. Once they have your money, they will treat you like dirt, and if they can squeeze more money out of you they will.

Needless to say, this was the first and last time we use that airline. We were surprised when we started reading other reviews here in ConsumerAffairs about this airline, as they seem to align with our experience. Copa should not be in business. On these times, where there is high competition for traveler's hard earned dollars, a company that has the level of customer service that Copa has, falls way below the average expectation of travelers.

My family and I were systematically discriminated base on national origin. Copa deny us boarding to a fly leaving Los Angeles and with final destination Colombia. New Colombian passports are require to leave Colombia. To leave the USA you can use the old passport, have form of identifying yourself with USA authorities and have the old passport to identify yourself as a Colombian citizen. As such Colombian citizen you can enter your country, but to leave Colombia you must process the new passport once you are in Colombia.

After November 24, 2015 the old passport was not good to leave Colombia, but again, as a Colombian citizen you can enter Colombia. If you, a family member or a friend were denied boarding, not allow to continue your journey into Colombia or were mistreated by Copa for this issue, please contact me at **. Legal action might be pending as Copa is too negligent to do what is right for customers. As an air passenger you have rights. Copa is just another company which has to respect individuals and work on our behalf as a paying customer.

An attempt was made on 1/16/2016 on my credit card number for $502.59 to copaair.com. The culprit was already successful that same day using my card number to another website which I was able to call and file a report. I tried to contact Copa Air. The first time it was busy and the next time the representative was not helpful and transferred me to a automated message board. I tried several times to get to a real person, but, was unsuccessful. The recording kept saying wait time will more than ten min., no matter when I called. I checked the company out online and on consumer affairs. Result. This company can't be trusted. Thankfully for me, my bank declined the attempt. I just wanted to reverse engineer what had happened to me and find info about the person from the company that appeared on my account.

Involuntarily bumped off flight. I checked in well over two hours before. Did not hear any announcement requesting for volunteers. Was at the airport waiting for 4 hours before I was shuttled to the hotel just to be woken up 6 hours later for my flight. I received a $400 voucher that is good ONLY for Copa and for only one year; I DO NOT PLAN TO FLY WITH COPA. Why would I want a nontransferable voucher?? Customer service was horrible.

In July 2015, I purchased two tickets on my Visa for a return flight from Seattle to Panama City. I was charged $1358.00 for each ticket. Copa Airlines emailed to say that the tickets were confirmed and that they would follow up with an e-ticket within 48 hours. They also charged my Visa at this time, two charges of 1358.00 for two seats. Shortly thereafter, my e-ticket arrived but my daughter's did not. Over the course of the next 3 weeks I made several telephone inquiries to Copa Airlines requesting info on her e-ticket. I was repeatedly told it was on its way, it would arrive later that day etc. This never happened.

Eventually one of the agents said that frankly they did not have a seat for my daughter at the price I had originally paid. I asked that my tickets be refunded but she said Copa did not offer refunds. She said my only recourse was to get a chargeback (refund) from Visa on my daughter's ticket and then repurchase a ticket for my daughter. This is ridiculous of course. Why should I have to pay more for something they already had sold me? There was no reasoning with them. (They would also not let me talk to a supervisor despite repeated requests.) Unbelievably - the price for this seat was now $1,920.69!

I was stuck because they would not refund my ticket. I was either going to be out my 1358.00 or have to pay this new inflated amount for my daughter. Very reluctantly I purchased the ticket, and as directed, I put a chargeback in to Visa in the amount of $1,358.00 for the original ticket that I purchased for my daughter that Copa was unable to deliver on (the Chargeback). Yesterday upon arrival at the check in at Sea-tac airport I was told that my ticket was invalid because Visa had cancelled the charges back in Sept. Copa of course never told contacted me about this. Turns out Copa never supplied the proper info about the purchase to Visa so the wrong ticket for 1358.00 was charged back. My ticket had been cancelled instead of my daughter's.

Consequently, we were unable to fly to Panama because everything was sold out. In addition to losing out on our Christmas holiday, we are also out the cost of our condo which we prepaid 2770.00 USD for and is non-refundable. This has definitely been a NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS. I fly a lot and have never experienced an airline with policies like theirs. I truly don't know how they are allowed to stay in business and will certainly never book a flight with Copa Airlines again.

My daughter had purchased flight from Lima to Quito to join South American tour. Copa check-in staff at Lima would not let her fly unless she paid them $1000. My daughter eventually agreed to pay them by credit card. They wanted cash and stalled her until her flight had taken off. She had to buy a flight with another airline to get to Quito in time to meet her tour. Customer services have not acknowledged our complaint. Copa staff are thieving, low life scumbags. Fly (or don't if they won't check you in) with them at your peril.

I want to report the appalling treatment received by Copa's staff today. I was booked on flight CM 118 from Santiago (Chile) to Panama City scheduled to leave at 12.10 PM and then continue my journey to Mexico. I checked in at 9.30AM for the two flights. When I was boarding the plane, the assistant who did my check-in told me that she had forgotten to ask me for my visa entry to Mexico City. I replied that I do not need a visa to enter in Mexico as I am a European citizen and she insisted that I needed a visa. After checking something on the computer she let me board.

Shortly after, she came on the plane looking for my passport. They made me leave the plane because her supervisor, Mrs. Natalia **, wanted to check something with me. The supervisor asked again about a visa and told me that I was not allowed to go to Mexico without a work visa. I explained again that I was going on business and not for work. At that point she asked if I had a flight to exit Mexico. I said that of course I did and she asked me to show her the ticket. I told her that I had to turn my computer on and that it would take a few minutes and I did not want to miss my flight.

Anyway, we turned on the computer, showed her the ticket and she agreed that everything was in order but she informed me that at that point had missed my flight and that the next one was at dawn. She informed me that they would pay for breakfast, lunch and dinner and that was it. I asked to be put on an earlier flight and to talk with someone else, but she said she was the supervisor and she was the only person I could talk to. I insisted that all of this was unacceptable. I will be arriving 2 days late, and miss 2 days of work apart from being stranded in an airport without any support for a whole day. She even mocked me with her colleagues.

I was told that no ticket was available at this time and that they would provide one later. I asked that to compensate they should at least put me on business class. They said they "would give me a better seat but they could not put me in a higher category". By the way, I was given a voucher for meals in a place where I was told I could have a ham sandwich for breakfast, a bigger ham sandwich for lunch and another sandwich for dinner. I said that I am a vegetarian and I was told "sorry, no vegetarian options here".

I went back to talk to Copa and discovered that nobody was there anymore and that Copa has no offices or contact points in Santiago airport. Now I am stranded here in the airport, apparently there is nobody to talk to even from the airport management. I have no ticket and I cannot leave the airport, nor I can get help from Copa or the airport.

This situation is disgraceful, had I been asked for my return flight at the check-in all of this would not have happened. Copa staff made a mistake and I am paying the consequences. It is UNACCEPTABLE what has happened and even less acceptable the way this all situation was handled. I demand a refund for all that has happened, for the days of work that I am going to miss as a consequence as well as an apology for all of this. I will address this letter to Santiago Airport and the local press and social networks to make sure people are aware of the treatment passengers receive from this airline and think twice before booking their flight.

The inflight crew was very good on my recent flight from DAV to PTY, but the ground operations at PTY is an absolute joke. Not only did the unneeded jetway not get to the plane in a timely manner, screwed up management has decided to use the international terminal, up and downstairs, and buses to get to and from the domestic terminal. The type of ramp used in DAV would be less hassle and would allow the plane to park close to the Copa domestic gate. Of course when the bus finally arrived at domestic door for exiting, the door was locked and the agent had no clue on how to open the locked door. Copa management and logistical staff are a joke. As a multi-year 1K and million miler with United, I can say Copa needs a great deal of improvement.

8/25/2015: Purchased tickets through Copa Airlines website for roundtrip ticket from SFO to Bogota, Colombia, for 11/19/2015 to 12/2/2015. 8/26/2015: Wired $1135.90 US from my bank account to Copa Airlines to complete purchase of tickets. 8/30/2015 - 9/18/2015: Multiple calls made to Copa at 1-800-359-2672 to inquire about ticket status, but problem appears to be first leg of flight that is through United Airlines, which Copa was unable to confirm. 9/18/2015: Emailed refunds@copaair.com and westcoastsales@copaair.com to request full refund since my tickets were never issued, even though my money was confirmed received by Copa, and it was suggested by phone call to staff at Copa Airlines.

9/22/2015: Spoke with Copa staff at 1-800-359-2672 and was instructed to email supervisorescallcenter@cccorporation.com for full refund request. I emailed as instructed. 9/24/2015: Received email from call_center_services@copaair.com with ticket number. But unsure if tickets are useable. I wrote back to supervisorescallcenter@cccorporation.com about status of full refund. 9/30/2015: Multiple email exchanges with Mireya **, Refund Desk at Copa Airlines. Mireya said the refund must be requested in the same place of purchase or in Copa Office. The ticket do not have credit card to return the purchase. I wrote back and explained that I paid via bank transfer.

10/01/2015: Mireya emailed back and said, Request the refund personally at a Copa office. I asked for more clarification. 10/02/2015: Mireya emailed and said if the customer paid with bank transfer, that the customer must request refund personally in any of Copa Airlines office. I explained that there is no Copa office in San Francisco where I live, and I cannot go to Los Angeles to personally complete this request. I also wrote to salesusa@copaair.com, the sales office, in hopes to connect with the Los Angeles sales office. I also called Copa staff at I-800-359-2672, but there is no phone number for this office which is at the airport.

10/05/2015: Sales office at salesusa@copaair.com emailed to me and the Copa Refund Department, to ask the Refund Department to process the refund for me, and to contact headquarter to complete the transaction. 10/14/2015: I emailed Sales office and Refund Department for status of refund. 10/15/2015: Mireya emailed and said the ticket fare basis is not refundable plus it was paid in cash, so not refundable on their end. I immediately called Copa at I-800-359-2672 for status and they said this was not true, that it was refundable, especially since I haven't used the tickets at all. It was suggested that I submit the refund request on their website, so I did and received case number **.

10/29/2015: I emailed refundsonline@copaair.com and refund@copaair.com regard status of refund. 11/2/2015: Mireya wrote back to say that my ticket policies and this fare do not apply for refund. And that tickets has one year to use from date of issue. I have made frustrating multiple calls to Copa, many with wait times of over an hour, with various staff providing different answers. Mireya did not show me why this fare was non-refundable. Just by merely saying is not enough, plus I've gotten confirmation by the phone that these are refundable tickets. I want my money back. These tickets are never used.

I booked my ticket to Havana with Copa Airlines. Made a mistake in my last name, 2 hrs later: they are charging me $200 to reimburse in 3 months! No way to get a new flight. Talked to the "GOD" supervisor Andres **, and he basically said, "we can't help you. We have your money and we can't do anything else for you in the next 3 months."

On July 11, 2015 I traveled from Cali, Colombia on Copa Airlines flight #668M on my way to Havana, Cuba via Tocumen International Airport, in Panama City. When I was about to board my connecting flight to Havana, I was approached by four people in plain clothes who identified themselves as airport police. They asked me what I was doing in Colombia. I told them visiting my family. I was taken to a room, searched, x-rayed and then I was told that I will not be allowed to continue on my flight to Havana. They told me they were going to send me back to Cali, Colombia. Obviously the actions of these incompetent airport police officers led me to believe that they were suspecting I was carrying drugs. Only people with this kind of mental incompetence could think that anyone would be that stupid to carry drugs into Cuba.

I got married in Cuba, my daughter was born in Cuba, I have been going to Cuba since 2001, but these incompetent police officer never bother to check that out. My Copa Airlines electronic ticket bears my frequent travel number which I obtained since I started flying with Copa Airlines on 2002. That frequent travel number contains all my personal information, including my Canadian passport information and address in Montreal. I have traveled on business related trips with Copa Airlines to every single country in Central America, and that information could have been available if someone would have asked Copa Airlines. Tocumen International Airport is a transit area, and technically I was never in Panama, I never went through immigration. I was taken to another gate to take a flight back to Cali.

My Canadian passport was seized, and was not given back to me until I reached Cali and that was after I was interviewed by an immigration officer in Cali. Because of the actions of these airport police officers I lost $600.00 USD which was the amount I paid Copa Airlines. Additionally, because of the actions of these airport police officers, I had to purchase another ticket with Avianca Airlines which cost me approximately $500.00 USD to get my flight from Cali, Colombia to Havana, Cuba on July 13, 2015. I strongly believe Copa Airlines should reimburse me for the expenses I incurred on the trips from Cali to Havana. Through a private investigator I hired, I found out that one of the Copa Airlines flight attendants on that flight from Cali to Panama, reported to police that I did not have breakfast, and that apparently triggered the whole episode.

Copa Airlines should train better their flight attendants in order to prevent situations like the one I experienced. I sincerely hope no one will have to endure what I went through with those incompetent police officers at the airport in Panama, and that flight attendants should be more psychologically trained to avoid committing these kind of mistakes. Through the Canadian government I am filing a complaint against the Tocumen International Airport Police officers.

Worse customer service ever. I am a Star Alliance member and fly a lot around the world. I was trying to get a direct flight from Toronto to Panama. I book the wrong date and call within the minute to change it. They say they couldn't because they have to wait 4 hours to release the ticket before I can do anything. Really? Complete BS with this company. Prior to this I tried booking with AMEX and it didn't work. I had to reserve the booking and called them to pay for the ticket, but they were going to charge me $35 to process the payment. So I said, "Screw you, because it is your site that is not design properly". Then I had to use MC to book it, but I book the wrong date.

I called 5 times within the hour to see if either I can cancel or rebook without paying the $150 fee. Forget it... The customer service at the end of the line is as stupid as the Airline. Website is badly design. Customer service can speak English with a heavy accent. I had to repeat myself 10 times. I had to pay $150 plus the difference in fee for the 5 min. mistake which cost $600. Anyway, I will think twice before booking with Copa Air... What a ** company run by a 2nd or 3rd world company. Maybe they need more siesta to figure out what they are doing.

When the plane got at the airport, after we already passed immigration, there were some girls form a private security company sending all the passenger to make a new line to do security check before we board on the plane. Me and my husband, we already passed immigration fine so we went and made the line. I have a backpack where I have a computer laptop, and gave everything to the ladies that were doing the security check-out. But I never took the computer out of the backpack. The lady asked me if I have a computer inside the backpack and I answered "yes, well I gave it to you", I said. She told me, "now you have to make the line again", and I was in shock. I am like what, why? She said because I didn't take the computer out but still gave it to her with the backpack, which makes no sense.

OMG, well I looked at the line, it was like 70 people waiting on mine. I answered, "I already made this, how you going to send me again?" The lady got very angry to me 'cause I didn't want to make the line again so start pointing her fingers through my face. My husband who speaks no Spanish ask me what happened. I said she is very rude, she is an idiot for being treating me like this, she is not my mother. So my husband asked me to make the line again, and I did. After all those people, she came and checks my backpack. I took my computer out, the lady came to me and tell me after she finished checking my backpack that I won't leave on that plane. I said, "well, if you bought me ticket you can decide this, but you didn't."

Well when the time to go on board came, we all making the line and Copa Airlines people stopped me and my husband and said I can't board the plane 'cause I am threat person, so I couldn't get on-board. OMG, are you serious Copa? I got very angry, I was shocked. So I even apologize for anything just they can let get on the plane 'cause I had to get home with hubby. He had to work next day and I had to picked my dog.

Well you, Copa people, didn't let me get the plane. I lost the plane. You Copa people took my suitcases out of the plane, and move my flight for night. I spent 12 hours at that airport with my husband waiting for that flight. You still had the nerves to put me a penalty of 156.00 dollars to each one of us, when it was you who dumped me out my flight. I got nowhere to go at that airport, we were 12 hours there. This is ridiculous. I going to lawsuit you for it, we won't take your airlines anymore.

Copa Airlines Company Profile