2. Travel
  3. Airlines

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.38/5

Copa Airlines Reviews

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

After flying with Copa a few times I experienced something that is reason for me to NEVER fly with them again. Four of us boarded in SFO with the weighed, sized and approved carry-on items but when transferring in PTY to Quito, we were refused boarding. Because our carry-ons were either fragile or expensive items, gate-check was not an option. Sorry, Christmas gifts for airport workers in Panama City is not something I'm ready to do.

We were allowed to board SFO to PTY and a later flight from PTY to UIO but in the meanwhile, we were refused boarding and had to wait almost 5 more hours to get to Quito. At one point a manager told us that if we didn't like the carry-on rules on the Copa website, we should contact them about changing them. Seriously? The gate agent refused to follow Copa's rules then a manager, we still have questions about this guy just being a friend of the gate agent's, tells us we should contact Copa about changing their policy.... Never again. For all the goofy stuff that goes on with air travel, this is the first time that our contract was changed on the whim of a gate agent that was probably having a bad day and decided to take it out on the Gringo.... Save yourself the problems and stick with American flagged airlines to Latin America.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

I arrived an hour early and I was standing in line and got to the counter and they told me I could not check in because I was not on time. The lady was literally still there and she seen me in line. Then she went on and told me they recommend to come 4 hours early so this doesn’t happen. The flight was at 12am the terminals were empty and she was sitting at the desk. So I called Copa airlines customer service. Nobody seem to care and the offered me a $300 fine pulse the difference in a ticket that was $1400.00 and Aeromax was selling tickets for $715. And they didn’t want to refund my money because they said I was late. Ruined my vacation. Worst airline. Don’t use them. I heard many horrible stories from their paying customers.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

Flying with Copa was a nightmare. I missed a connection due to a late arriving Copa flight, and so I was rebooked. But I was told my checked bag was sent ahead of me to my destination. When I arrived, it was late at night and there were no Copa representatives at the airport. My bag was also not there. So I made a lost baggage report over the phone and was told they would get back to me in 24-48 hours. Time went by, no information. So I called customer service, and they told me that it could take 3-5 days. They gave me the numbers for baggage service at the airport and at the headquarters in Panama. I called both numbers, and no one answered. I emailed the baggage department, and got an automated response telling me to wait 15 days for an answer.

Several more days and frustrated phone calls went by. Finally I went in person to the Copa sales office in the city. They called the airport and told me I had to go to the airport (1 hour away) that afternoon and talk with the person there. I went. The person there said that my bag had been there from the beginning, but I hadn't claimed it, so they sent it to Panama City. He told me to call customer service and gave me another email that replied with another automated response. In short, it's been 10 days, no bag, no help, no competency from anyone at the airline. They seem trained to pass the problem along without offering the slightest bit of customer assistance. Absolutely disgraceful.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

Our flight was overbooked coming from Panama to Fort Lauderdale. They put us in an later flight to Miami (different destination) and as soon we got to Miami at 10:00 p.m. one of our suitcases didn't show up. They only person in the carousel area didn't want to do the claim and told us to wait for her outside of the immigration area that she will meet us there to take us to the office. She never showed up and when we tried to find the Copa airlines office they told us that there was no one in Miami. The Copa counter was closed and there was nobody around to make the claim.

After hours of trying to call them we managed to make a complaint and now we don't know what is happening with our luggage. The Copa customer service at the Miami international airport is horrible, the woman lied to us and let us believe that she was going to take care of the missing luggage. The Copa customer service online doesn't work either and calling them is even worse. Now we have a missing luggage with a least $1000 in value inside and nobody give us an answer. They made the end of our vacation a nightmare. I hope there is a lawyer out there that can do something about situations like this, airlines are doing whatever they want with the customers.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

If I could give this airline zero stars I would. We left LAX to Panama an hour late and missed out connecting flight. We had to wait two hours in a customer service line (which would have been longer if we arrived ten minutes later, it doubled in length) in which they could not give us a connecting flight on the same day. We had to purchase tickets on Avianca to make it to Medellin in time but we let Copa know this when we were in customer service. Now that's it's time to go back to LA I can't check in because they canceled my flight since we didn't make the last flight from Panama to Medellin. They knew we were not going in that flight and canceled my flight home anyway.

I've been calling customer service since 6am. They have not wanted to give a refund for the missed flight that was their fault and they cannot put me on my flights that I was originally on. They told me to come to the airport. Now the lady at the counter is saying she can't help me for another hour and a half and she did not guarantee anything either. This is a mess. They have wasted so much of my time and ruined my trip. I've lost so much money on the flights I had to purchase on Avianca and the Ubers back and forth. Hopefully I can get on the flight back home. Forgot to mention they lost my friend's luggage on December 28th and they still have no idea where it's at.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Copa Airlines?

Original review: Aug. 30, 2019

My name is Paola **. Trip date Aug 9, arrival Aug 10. Trip From Hartford to Lima Ticket #**. Return Date August 27 with check-in on August the 26. Return from Lima to Hartford Ticket #**. I would like to make 2 complains and a request for money back. My luggage was badly broken and wrapped with the plastic tape. Clothes were coming out of it as shown. I later discovered items missing. Some pieces of clothing and my kid's shoes. I want to request a refund for this. I was very upset to find that items I have taken for gifts were gone.

On my trip to return to the states, I was presented with the situation that I had to pay for my second check-in luggage. Before making my trip reservations I called the airline asking about the luggage. I was told that I could take 2 for free. I called 2 days before making my reservations which were I believe on July 14 or 15. When I checked in on Aug 9 I didn’t pay any fee for the extra luggage. On the way back, however, I had to pay my luggage which is insane. For this, I would like to get a refund for what I had to pay. I hope my issues able to get solve fast.

Original review: July 5, 2019

I paid for a guaranteed seating months ago. I was unable to check in on the app or online for whatever unknown reason. I picked the seat via a concierge service. However, one of The Copa employees informed me due to me being unable to check in that my seat was given to someone that paid TODAY and that I was placed on standby. I was 5th on the list and I watched 8 people that were also on standby get placed ahead of me after being told that it was to go in order. When I asked how they got ahead of me I was told this wouldn’t of happened if I checked in and that I should learn from that mistake.

The mistake was with Copa on multiple levels. The app and online check-in is broken with passports, you gave seats away from a customer that paid months ago, and had terrible and condescending staff to make things worse. I was given a voucher but I will never use it on this terrible airline so that doesn’t do anything for me. The person I’m with and I were to attend a wedding tomorrow that will now likely not happen due to the flight that we were placed on being delayed. I have flown a lot. I have had other bad experiences, however, other airlines have outstanding customer service and dedication to customers make the difference... Copa does not.

Original review: June 7, 2019

Two days before my flight was scheduled to leave from Orlando to Panama City then to Costa Rica on May 14, 2019, my 17-year old daughter went to ER and was admitted to the hospital for emergency surgery the same day. I communicated with Expedia (purchased tickets through them). Expedia had me to send info from hospital detailing the events. Expedia has gone back and forth with Copa for two weeks with no end in mind to issue my refund for the flight. Finally, Expedia asked me to get involved with Copa directly.

I have sent emails to Copa because no one will talk to you over the phone dealing with refunds. Every time I call, I am receiving the runaround and no one seems to know what I am speaking of. This is ridiculous. I have never experienced this issue with other airlines. I had an issue with American and within days my refund was in my account. Copa is not big on customer service. They are big on giving you a hassle. Several Expedia reps I've spoken with stated the same.

Original review: May 23, 2019

My sister, mother and I had planned a trip to Colombia to visit family almost 1 year ago. Everything was going well from checking into LAX and flying out to Panama. From Panama, we were to get another flight to Medellin, Colombia. At approximately 0645 after landing and passengers ahead of us were exiting the plane, we got off and noticed that the plane to Medellin was scheduled to leave at 0725am. We made our way to use the restroom and get a cup of coffee. We arrived at the departure gate at 0710am and noticed a lot of people sitting down around the gate.

At approximately 0720 hours, I noticed the screen changed to another flight and we asked the Copa Airlines worker for the flight that was supposed to leave at 0725. The airline worker stated that the flight left at 0718am. Never once was there an announcement or a "LAST CALL" for the flight. I took the responsibility for missing this flight which left a lot earlier than stated on the ticket. We went to Customer Service Desk and she found a flight to Medellin at 0745am. We asked her if that was enough time to make it to the gate. The employee said that we had enough time but we would have to run to the gate as she called the gate to let them know that we were on our way. SHE PROMISED AND GUARANTEED US THAT WE WOULD MAKE THE FLIGHT.

I paid almost $1000 US Dollars for that flight and it left at 0728. We arrived to the gate at 0724am. NOW THAT IS 2 FLIGHTS THAT WE MISSED BECAUSE COPA AIRLINES LEAVES WAY BEFORE THEIR INTENDED TIMES AND EMPLOYEES LIED SAYING THAT THE FLIGHT WOULD WAIT FOR US. I requested for Copa Airlines to send us back home to Los Angeles and a refund of what we lost because there were no other flights to Medellin till Thursday. Copa employees stated that I would have to file a claim online and "hopefully" they can reimburse my money. So, to summarize this, please watch Copa Airlines, they are thieves and it's sad to see that they are getting away with stealing people's hard earned money and we didn't even get to see our family.

I would rather pay a little extra and fly directly to Colombia on an American flight if we have another chance in the future. I Wish we can start a movement on behalf of everyone who has been robbed by this airline. I've never seen so many people upset and literally crying in an airport for unknown reasons but all related to COPA Airlines. NEVER AGAIN!

Original review: May 4, 2019

Booked a flight from Guatemala City for 3 of May 2019 to Panama City. We were on time and waiting to be boarded and out of the blue they cancelled the flight without giving any explanation. Ground crew is incapable and useless. Empty promises, no clue what's going on. This guys are a bunch of useless people in Guatemala. They are too lazy to speak English. Never ever again, will I book with Copa. They have to understand at that point the customer pay the flight, it's their duty to fulfill the contract. I expect them to give me a refund, because they broke the contract.

Not sure about Copa Airlines?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Airlines for you.

Copa Airlines Company Information