3.1/5 (533 ratings)

About Copa Airlines

Copa Airlines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Copa Airlines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Copa Airlines?

Original review: Jan. 25, 2022

It has now been 15 days and still waiting for my lost suitcase. The Copa check in rep "accidentally" forgot to put a tag on my suitcase after I expressed my displeasure at her allowing a party of 6 customers to cut in front of the 2.5 hour long wait check in line over 100 customers (Copa only had 2 reps when other airlines normally 8). When I turned my back to help a different Copa customer use my credit card in exchange for cash to get their bag checked in. I turned back around and it was payback time. My suitcase intentionally placed by spiteful Copa rep with ax to grind onto the conveyor belt without a check in tag essentially losing my bag for me.

She then told me it was my fault. She grinned and took pleasure in telling me I could always cancel my flight and try and find my unmarked bag somewhere in the Atlanta baggage underworld. Spent over 20 hours on customer service on hold Copa does not answer. My neighbor went back to Copa desk two days after and told disinterested Copa reps at check in where my bag was, at Delta lost baggage. Been 12 days since then my suitcase still intentionally being held hostage by Copa reps with an ax to grind. Unprofessional reps, no one will help resolve and they take it personal if you expect things to run well.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2022

Stay away from this company if you have other options. I bought round trip tickets for my parents, from Tampa to South America in Copa, and so far they've changed/cancelled the return flights several times. They simply cancel a particular return flight without considering the impact on paying passengers, and to rebook is a nightmare. I spent, literally, hours trying to talk to an agent. The first agent who answered, after waiting in the queue for two hours, didn't help and simply put me back in the queue again. After another hour I got tired and hang up.

The second day, after getting the "lines are busy" message for hours and after waiting for over one hour in the queue, an agent answered and said the return flight was cancelled (which I knew already). Then she said she needs to look for options, took my phone number, and promised to call me in two minutes. She never did. This is my experience with these people on this last cancellation. The first two times were similar. It's almost impossible to get someone who can help. I'll never use them again.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2021

We just arrived into Montreal, Qc. At 11:34 pm Is 12:45 and they just announced that the luggage will be out in 60 minutes. Since 12:30 they keep saying 60 minutes. Copa has gotten sooo expensive and service is not that great anymore. The other airlines are getting her vags is just Copa they said no employees to receive the fly!!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2021

I was flying for Lima, Peru with the connected flight in Panama through Copa Airlines in business class. Business-class seats do recline little and have an entertainment center but old and horrible. They are not comfortable at all. My back started hurting after a while due to no cushion support for my back. Seats are not lie-flat beds. Food is okay as for the airline. The bathroom is so small that your clothes touch the walls and feels so unclean. The ticket is so expensive as compared to business class. I didn't feel at all that I am flying in business class. Very disappointed and disheartened by the service even they never come back to ask you again for drinks or needs.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2021

My luggage got "delayed", 3 days later it got delivered weighting 22 pounds less, opened, and with missing items for a total of more than 1250 dollars, I sent receipts and an inventory (with receipts) of about 70 percent of the missing items to their customer service, to what they replied that they would only give me 300 dollars back, I replied that how could that be? And they said they would reimburse many of my items by weight (be prepared to get your expensive perfume and sunglasses quoted as white rice). I replied that I wanted their quotation reviewed as it was ridiculous, and they simply stopped replying... Thank you Copa and your rep. Milagros ** for letting your thieves steal half my stuff and just stonewall me as if I'm the criminal. Never again, but I will spread the word.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2021

My holiday became a nightmare because of Copa. I’ve booked a flight with Copa from Cancun to Panama City. After arriving, my baggage was lost. The contents were very dear to me and irreplaceable. I’ve filed a lost baggage case and called/Whatsapped every day, but never got a response and they won’t pick up. I went back to the airport to hear they will call me back the next day (never did). I e-mailed them, no response. After 3 days I hear the search has been stopped and my case is closed. I’ve filled in another form to claim expenses, but after 3 days still no response. I have 0 faith left. I am afraid I will have to take legal action to get any money back. Besides that I will have to buy new stuff from my own money at the moment, I am afraid I will have to accept some important items will be lost forever. With no explanation, apologies, or any other communication.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2021

I booked a flight to fly 2020 for 4 people to Cuba & Trinidad. Spent $USD $3512.72. They cancelled - (due to Covid) unable to get refund initially then applied on line - email arrived saying paid and will receive in in 8 weeks and details of credit card last 4 digits & expiry date in the email were incorrect - so re emailed & replied - no response. Did a dispute form. No reply except a logging number.

I finally waited on the phone to be told the refund had been paid & case closed, hello where is my money - I explained that the details had been changed for my credit card & were not mine - I was told "NO way could this happen" so now someone in COPA has stolen my money and put another person's credit details against my flight and stolen my refund. No one will help me. Or give an explanation - I now have no money & can only complain - COPA needs to look into the theft as I'm sure I would not be the only one. STOLEN MONEY & NO HELP FROM COPA Airline in refund department. Susan ** Australia

Original review: July 31, 2021

Purchased 4 roundtrip tickets from SFO - AUA in April 21 for Oct. 21 trip. Notified in July of flight change resulting in a 19 hour earlier departure and a 23 hour layover. Only options were to accept or cancel. Copa only wanted to issue flight credit even though I was eligible for a refund. Selection for a new flight on Copa would have cost more than double my original purchase. Customer service is non-existent and unresponsive. Told I would receive a response to my refund request in 15 days. Nothing. Inquired and was told I would receive a response in another 25 days. Unacceptable. Don't fly Copa Airlines.

Original review: July 22, 2021

Copa cancelled my flights offering only overnight stays when the country is quarantining. No refund. They do not answer despite multiple attempts by Expedia to help resolve issue. I will never use Copa again!

Original review: June 22, 2021

After purchasing 2-tickets for a flight from Liberia, Costa Rica to Bogota, Colombia scheduled for 3/18/2020 with a return on 3/21/2020, Copa Airlines cancelled the flights. Thereafter, I filed numerous written and oral requests by calling Copa’s employees in Miami and in Panama to demand a full repayment of my monies ($1,132) paid, which to this day Copa Airlines refuses to repay. Each time I called their offices in Miami and Panama I was given a different story as to when Copa would be refunding my money, which never occurred. Had I known that Copa Airlines has a well documented history of failing to repay customers when Copa cancels a flight I would not have dealt with them and I hope that others will choose not to use Copa’s services. Any stars given to Copa is too much.

Original review: June 3, 2021

I will never ever fly Copa Airlines again. After they changed the return flight of our ticket then a few weeks later canceled our flight altogether and pushed it one day, my friend and I were about ready to cancel the flight and get a refund. But after being told that we would have to REQUEST a refund and wouldn’t just receive one, we didn’t want to run the risk of them denying our refund and keeping our $700 tickets. AND apparently it would take 6 months for us to even receive an answer regarding our refund. So we decided to go.

When we got to the airport, all of the announcements were in Spanish first, check-in was EXTREMELY slow, and the employees didn’t seem to know what they were talking about any time you asked a question. After we checked our bags and finally got on the flight, 20 mins into the flight, they announced that we were having technical difficulties with the plane and that they were turning back to JFK. When we got off and I asked what the problem was, they said that they were having engine malfunctions. ENGINE MALFUNCTIONS! How did they realize that mid-air??? So we get off and while we’re walking to the boarding area, we were told that the next plane was “ready to go!” It wasn’t and we waited another 30 mins to board.

Meanwhile, my friend and I are worried about missing the connecting flight in Panama to Belize City AND the other flight we have scheduled with another airline from Belize City to San Pedro where our hotel is. But they assure us that it will be fine and we receive an email about how our flight in Panama is delayed, so we are temporarily relieved. But then 10 mins after getting on the plane, an employee comes to us and says “you two are going to Belize? Yea, you’re not going to make it there. The plane in Panama is not waiting for any more passengers, they are leaving.” So we ask if they can just put us on another flight in Panama to Belize and they say “Oh Copa only flies to Belize every 4 days.” So we would be stuck in Panama for 4 days! My friend and I are livid, we get off the plane and demand a refund and our checked bags.

After another 10 mins of the employees trying to find us and the other 5 passengers that were also going to Belize another flight (although we’ve made it clear that we want a refund and our checked luggage so we can go home NOW), they tell us and the 5 other passengers that our luggage is on the plane...that just left to Panama. So WE got off the plane but our bags were left on the plane! How did they not take our bags off the plane although 7 passengers in total had to get off because of their mistake! The incompetency was out of this world! I am a photographer and had thousands of dollars of equipment in my bag and another person had cancer medication in his bag. We were told that it could take 1-3 days to get our bag but there was no way to know. I completely lost my mind. How in the hell did they do this??

I then asked about my refund because at this point, we lost our money with the hotel reservation, we lost our money with the next flight from Belize City to San Pedro since we can’t even get to Belize at all now, and we lost the money we spent for Ubers to the airport and the ridiculous amount spent on nasty airport food. But apparently we have to speak to someone on the website to get a refund, there’s no phone number or department in the airport to speak to.

I’m writing this review one day after the incident and I still have yet to receive my bag OR the screwed up itinerary with all of Copa’s changes to our flight. And to make matters worse, when we checked our flight on their My Flights website page, it had the nerve to say the flight to Panama was arriving “On Time”. On time! 2 hours later! Yet it says on time! Copa Airlines is by far the worst airline I have ever flown and the fact that even an employee said that we’d have better luck receiving a refund through our bank than through Copa is extremely telling of their greed and disregard to customer needs. Do nots waste your money on this airline.

Original review: June 1, 2021

Updated on 09/25/2021: I already had one awful experience with Copa and now 4 months later, it's the gift that keeps on giving. They agreed to refund me since everything was their fault (isn't that nice) but it's been 4 months and no refund. I reached out twice to ask WTF, and was told each time that they didn't have what they needed to process my refund. And if I didn't reach out, they never would have told me anything. However, the last exchange was over a routing number that I gave them 2 months ago. You ever get the feeling that you're just being jerked around? Copa Airlines is as trustworthy as a coyote with a mouthful of feathers. Avoid them or get ready for a long ordeal.

Original Review: One star is too high!!! I got turned away one hour before my flight for reasons that are still unclear. They said I had an onward flight to Colombia (I did not) and I needed to show them some paperwork (which I obviously didn't have). And now??? Customer service is useless. No information to share. Might as well have been talking with a picnic table. Avoid this airline!

Original review: March 19, 2021

Very interesting airline... basically we were at the airport 2 hours before our flight and we waited online but by time the line was over it was only an hour and a half before the flight. They didn't let us into the airport and they had military goons at the front blocking the entrance. I've never experienced something like this in America before. We waited even longer... No one even came to talk to us and this was an international flight. In the US if you miss a flight you can go in and rebook but they really locked us out of the airport in a foreign country in 100° weather with us nowhere to go. They didn't even have the courtesy to come talk to us. Then when you called them up they don't even offer a refund or a rebook without a cancellation fee. I hope this company goes bankrupt and all their employees lose their jobs and retirements. Really bad people.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2021

My flight were cancelled for Jan. 1, 2021. I did not receive any notice from COPA about this. I found out by checking the flights and saw they no longer existed on the dates I was flying. The message when I would put my reservation number in the website said to contact COPA, but no one ever answered the phones. I requested reimbursement via their website and have not received ONE DIME. I have called them 3 times, finally got ahold of them, and they put me on hold, give me the run around and tell me to call in a week. I have filed a dispute with my credit card company. When an airlines cancels they must reimburse you. This is unethical.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2021

For the second time Copa cancelled our flights, without email, phone call. We only realized our flights were cancelled when they sent us our boarding pass to print. Not even any intelligent booking appeared on the booking. We called, long wait, no courtesy, no apology no attempt to help or change flights. I own a tourist business in Panama, my advice to all our guests, AVOID COPA.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2020

We purchased 5 confirmed tickets with Copa from Pereira, Colombia to Dallas, Texas for December 28/2020. One week ago we found out that the airline cancelled our tickets without telling us! Nobody called us or emailed or contacted us in any way. They change our reservation to another flight. They simply took our money and cancelled our ticket! I called their customer service and asked for a solution, The phones numbers don't work, the agency told me they simply have no more space in coach, They don't respond for the money!!!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2020

We purchased 3 confirmed tickets with Copa from Miami to Santa Cruz, Bolivia for December 21. Today we found out that the airline cancelled our tickets without telling us! Nobody called us or emailed or contacted us in any way. They change our reservation to another flight. They simply took our money and cancelled our ticket! I called their customer service and asked for a solution, they told me they simply have no more space in coach and if I wanted to fly that day I have to pay a lot of money to go to Business class.

Of course I didn't accept that and I told them, "You cancelled my CONFIRMED and PAID for reservation, you have to give me a solution." They simply kept me waiting on the phone and finally hung up on me. I have NEVER experienced anything like that in 30 years of international travel. This is obviously a terrible company. Why would they cancel a paid for ticket and not notify the passenger? I sincerely encourage everyone to stay away from this terrible airline.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2020

Been stuck in Nicaragua for 7 months waiting for a refund or a flight back home. Copa is not even answering the phone anymore. Filed a complaint to BBB, hope I get my 640$ back, but I'm not holding my breath. Worst airline ever.

Original review: July 24, 2020

I booked a flight from Panama, city Panama, my grandmother died, when I was checking the clerk saw a problem with my Resident card, at the end he proceeded to almost scream telling me that I could not use my card anymore or they will take.

Original review: July 8, 2020

I booked a flight for March 30 to the DR & it was cancelled due to the Coronavirus which is expected & not their fault. After I found out my flight was cancelled, I tried to contact them to request a refund because it wouldn’t work on their website & the only number they have available for the U.S was not in service for over 2 months. I emailed them & didn’t get a response for 4 weeks & they said I would have to wait 8 weeks for a refund. 8 weeks passed & I still did not receive a refund. I decided to just rebook since the borders would be open in July. I rebooked my flight & they decided to notify me the day before my flight that my flight was cancelled. I called them & now their phones are finally working but when I spoke to the customer service reps, they had no sympathy for me & just kept saying I would have to wait till August 7.

I asked to speak to a supervisor & he was no help at all. So I had to book a new flight with American Airlines & pay extra money plus delay my trip by 4 days because of them. Now I have to wait a extra 8 weeks just to get my money back. I would advise everyone to just steer clear of this airline. Their customer service is horrible & I feel like I’m going to have a very hard time trying to get my money back.

Original review: April 27, 2020

This is definitely the worst of the worst airline ever..I came to checked in at Fortaleza airport in Brazil like 3 hours earlier. The manager wouldn't let me checked in because apparently there was a problem with my ESTA to enter America..Then he took 4 hours to check that everything was ok, to then said everything is fine now..By that time my flight had already left and he would't give me a new flight or give me a refund although it was all his fault for taking so long to check on something...I ended up losing $1400, how horrible..I would definitely never ever book a flight with this airline again..and I wouldn't recommend anyone to fly with them..They have the worst policies and don't they even care about their customers.

Original review: April 21, 2020

Things are crazy with Covid. Had a returned flight booked for on COPA. Given the Covid, paid $600 to change ticket for earlier return. Was able to book April 25. Later they called and canceled the 25th. Was able to re-book for May 2nd. They again canceled. At this point, I decided to bite the bullet and go back to my original return date and requested they refund what I paid to change the ticket. They refused but told me my ticket was good until the end of the year. It is amazing how as a passenger I have to be understanding when they cancel their flights, but they have no regard for doing what is fair to the passenger. COPA is an archine airline that should not be operating internationally. Their English is horrible and every phone connection reminded me of 1970's international calling.

Original review: March 25, 2020

Was flying my wife's nephew here from Chile to Tampa. Be his 1st time in the USA because of the Virus-19 Disney & Universal closed, all of our beaches closed. We we're not quite sure what to do but now COPA cancelled our flight and refuses to give us a refund. Talk to customer service and they just read the same line off of a paper, no help at all. Now we're going to lose $641.25 being disabled and on a limited income. These people should be ashamed of themselves, not just me thousands of people are losing their money to this airlines now.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2020

Copa Airlines continues to plummet in quality. I flew last year 2019 December-January. Both to and from experiences were horrible. Talk about airplane food but Copa's was worst than that. We were given a vile tasting mystery meat sandwich for lunch; after an almost 8 hour overnight flight, the only food we got for breakfast was a sad packaged fruit bar and a drink. The cabins are outdated and uncomfortable. The airplane staff treated passengers as more of a burden than not. I stood up for a glass of water (since I was never offered) and they just poured me a glass, shoved it in my face without making eye contact once! They are were also annoyed that I had to stand up to use the restroom since coincidently the trolly was also beginning to pass down the hall. Coming back from my trip, the in flight entertainment system shut down. Terrible experience. I hope to never have to fly Copa again.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

After flying with Copa a few times I experienced something that is reason for me to NEVER fly with them again. Four of us boarded in SFO with the weighed, sized and approved carry-on items but when transferring in PTY to Quito, we were refused boarding. Because our carry-ons were either fragile or expensive items, gate-check was not an option. Sorry, Christmas gifts for airport workers in Panama City is not something I'm ready to do.

We were allowed to board SFO to PTY and a later flight from PTY to UIO but in the meanwhile, we were refused boarding and had to wait almost 5 more hours to get to Quito. At one point a manager told us that if we didn't like the carry-on rules on the Copa website, we should contact them about changing them. Seriously? The gate agent refused to follow Copa's rules then a manager, we still have questions about this guy just being a friend of the gate agent's, tells us we should contact Copa about changing their policy.... Never again. For all the goofy stuff that goes on with air travel, this is the first time that our contract was changed on the whim of a gate agent that was probably having a bad day and decided to take it out on the Gringo.... Save yourself the problems and stick with American flagged airlines to Latin America.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

I arrived an hour early and I was standing in line and got to the counter and they told me I could not check in because I was not on time. The lady was literally still there and she seen me in line. Then she went on and told me they recommend to come 4 hours early so this doesn’t happen. The flight was at 12am the terminals were empty and she was sitting at the desk. So I called Copa airlines customer service. Nobody seem to care and the offered me a $300 fine pulse the difference in a ticket that was $1400.00 and Aeromax was selling tickets for $715. And they didn’t want to refund my money because they said I was late. Ruined my vacation. Worst airline. Don’t use them. I heard many horrible stories from their paying customers.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

Flying with Copa was a nightmare. I missed a connection due to a late arriving Copa flight, and so I was rebooked. But I was told my checked bag was sent ahead of me to my destination. When I arrived, it was late at night and there were no Copa representatives at the airport. My bag was also not there. So I made a lost baggage report over the phone and was told they would get back to me in 24-48 hours. Time went by, no information. So I called customer service, and they told me that it could take 3-5 days. They gave me the numbers for baggage service at the airport and at the headquarters in Panama. I called both numbers, and no one answered. I emailed the baggage department, and got an automated response telling me to wait 15 days for an answer.

Several more days and frustrated phone calls went by. Finally I went in person to the Copa sales office in the city. They called the airport and told me I had to go to the airport (1 hour away) that afternoon and talk with the person there. I went. The person there said that my bag had been there from the beginning, but I hadn't claimed it, so they sent it to Panama City. He told me to call customer service and gave me another email that replied with another automated response. In short, it's been 10 days, no bag, no help, no competency from anyone at the airline. They seem trained to pass the problem along without offering the slightest bit of customer assistance. Absolutely disgraceful.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

Our flight was overbooked coming from Panama to Fort Lauderdale. They put us in an later flight to Miami (different destination) and as soon we got to Miami at 10:00 p.m. one of our suitcases didn't show up. They only person in the carousel area didn't want to do the claim and told us to wait for her outside of the immigration area that she will meet us there to take us to the office. She never showed up and when we tried to find the Copa airlines office they told us that there was no one in Miami. The Copa counter was closed and there was nobody around to make the claim.

After hours of trying to call them we managed to make a complaint and now we don't know what is happening with our luggage. The Copa customer service at the Miami international airport is horrible, the woman lied to us and let us believe that she was going to take care of the missing luggage. The Copa customer service online doesn't work either and calling them is even worse. Now we have a missing luggage with a least $1000 in value inside and nobody give us an answer. They made the end of our vacation a nightmare. I hope there is a lawyer out there that can do something about situations like this, airlines are doing whatever they want with the customers.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

If I could give this airline zero stars I would. We left LAX to Panama an hour late and missed out connecting flight. We had to wait two hours in a customer service line (which would have been longer if we arrived ten minutes later, it doubled in length) in which they could not give us a connecting flight on the same day. We had to purchase tickets on Avianca to make it to Medellin in time but we let Copa know this when we were in customer service. Now that's it's time to go back to LA I can't check in because they canceled my flight since we didn't make the last flight from Panama to Medellin. They knew we were not going in that flight and canceled my flight home anyway.

I've been calling customer service since 6am. They have not wanted to give a refund for the missed flight that was their fault and they cannot put me on my flights that I was originally on. They told me to come to the airport. Now the lady at the counter is saying she can't help me for another hour and a half and she did not guarantee anything either. This is a mess. They have wasted so much of my time and ruined my trip. I've lost so much money on the flights I had to purchase on Avianca and the Ubers back and forth. Hopefully I can get on the flight back home. Forgot to mention they lost my friend's luggage on December 28th and they still have no idea where it's at.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2019

My name is Paola **. Trip date Aug 9, arrival Aug 10. Trip From Hartford to Lima Ticket #**. Return Date August 27 with check-in on August the 26. Return from Lima to Hartford Ticket #**. I would like to make 2 complains and a request for money back. My luggage was badly broken and wrapped with the plastic tape. Clothes were coming out of it as shown. I later discovered items missing. Some pieces of clothing and my kid's shoes. I want to request a refund for this. I was very upset to find that items I have taken for gifts were gone.

On my trip to return to the states, I was presented with the situation that I had to pay for my second check-in luggage. Before making my trip reservations I called the airline asking about the luggage. I was told that I could take 2 for free. I called 2 days before making my reservations which were I believe on July 14 or 15. When I checked in on Aug 9 I didn’t pay any fee for the extra luggage. On the way back, however, I had to pay my luggage which is insane. For this, I would like to get a refund for what I had to pay. I hope my issues able to get solve fast.

Copa Airlines Company Information