International Chain

3.4/5 (161 ratings)

About Club Med

Club Med Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Club Med?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Club Med?

Original review: Sept. 8, 2022

After booking & paying for an extensive Christmas 2022 holiday, Club Med sent an email on SEPTEMBER 6th.. when the closing was out in JUNE (if one googled)… spent 10 hours finding another place for the holiday to use my well-priced plane tickets.. JUST shame on Club Med.. I will NEVER EVER use Club Med again.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2022

#writeyourstory Club Med - I waited all summer to take this family vacation. It was supposed to be an amazing adventure with my family before I returned to work from maternity leave. Something I was already fretting. What was supposed to be paradise was no better than a Motel 6. There was yellow water, roaches, ant infestations, black mold. After finding this roach two inches from my baby’s face in his crib my older two couldn’t sleep because they kept thinking they felt them in their bed. No sleep for my babies led to cranking babies during the day and well not so much fun for anyone.

We would have left early but my sister broke her kneecap while at the resort and was unable to travel. The resort gave her a broken wheelchair which hadn’t been inspected since 2019 which she fell out of twice. All of this and Club Med believes a 50% refund and a $469 future credit is an acceptable resolution. I have no words for how upset I feel by their lack of care for not only the money spent(which for us was a lot) or for what we as a family anticipated and needed but missed out on. Shame on you clubmed for your lack of responsibility or compassion.

Get buying tips about Hotel Brands delivered to your inbox.

Resolution response: July 1, 2022

The company resolved this issue for us.

Original review: June 30, 2022

I called to cancel my reservation 4 months in advance and they stated they'd refund the land portion but not the air portion (a value of approx $2000). The reason this is problematic:

1. When you book your flight through Club Med they book a NON-REFUNDABLE ticket without your knowledge or consent. If you are in a situation where you have to request a refund they rely "on the airline policy" for the flight portion. They tell you to speak with the airline directly to obtain a refund but the airline will not speak with you since you have booked your ticket through a third party. Club Med knows this - it is their way of disposing of you. They also say the airline won't refund the tickets but the airline has not taken the money yet - the money is with Club Med until you get on your flight. You know this as well because they can offer you a voucher (with strict restrictions that it be for the same Club Med location). If you can offer a voucher you can offer a refund. Stop lying to your customers. Club Med should offer an option where you can have refundable airline tickets booked through them and they do not.

2. The airline can also change your flight details (including moving you to their discount service) AFTER you have completed payment. This decreases the value of your airline ticket and they provide you with no refund for the difference. This is sneaky and a repudiation of the contract.

I have travelled with high end brands like the Four Season, etc. and I've never dealt with a team who is so disorganized and careless when it comes to customer service. The first agent I spoke with over the phone said the Director of Transportation for Club Med (Jonathan **) would call me within 48 hours. He did not. When I called back to inquire they said Jonathan had left an internal note simply saying "Air Canada will not refund the ticket".

For myself and my husband who work hard for our money, vacations are important. We are willing to pay a premium for a great experience. This has been anything but and the lack of care Club Med has shown is misrepresentative of what is supposed to be a premium and trusted brand. Do not take your business to a brand that will allow for decreases in value after you pay and book non-refundable tickets with airlines without your consent. You deserve better.

Original review: June 9, 2022

I purchased a package (flight and accommodations) to Club Med Cancun in Oct. 2021 for May 2022. Flight was Frontier Airlines from Newark NJ. Final confirmation received April 2022. We Arrived at airport 4 am for 6:20 flight. Upon arrival, I was looking for Frontier Airlines ticketing/baggage area. Can't find it. Asked where it was. Frontier no longer flies out of Newark Airport!!?? We are stranded in the airport on day one of a non-refundable trip to Club Med Cancun. Tickets purchased by Club Med. Airline No longer flies out of Newark as of March 2022.

Club Med never informs me that I no longer have a flight to Cancun. We scramble and pay more than double for tix to resort. Day before our return home (less than 24 hrs), we get a note slipped under our door informing us our flight home has been canceled, as if Club Med was just notified of this!! When I got home I email Club Med. They told me they had no way of knowing my flight was canceled. If you knew my return flight was canceled, then you knew my arriving flight was canceled and you should have informed me ahead of time. They took zero responsibility in the situation. They took my money to purchase tickets but took no responsibility in informing me that flight was cancelled in a timely manner so I could either opt out of the trip or purchase new tickets.

I am sure Frontier Airlines alerted all tickets purchasers that all flights leaving Newark airport were canceled. The purchaser of my tickets was Club Med, not me. They were the ones informed of the cancellation and chose to do nothing about it. They did not consider it their responsibility to inform us of the canceled flight and chose instead to leave us stranded at the airport to have us figure out and scramble to get ourselves to the resort, regardless of the stress and cost. Their behavior and business practices are reprehensible!!

Original review: April 19, 2022

There aren’t many places where we are unable to have a good time and we did here too but wow, what a shock. I'm not sure how people return repeatedly to this property when there is SO much more out there that is so much nicer than this property. This place is not worth the very discounted price paid. We tip generously and the GEs (the waitstaff, the hardest working folks) are appreciative but the GOs, the petulant, super intoxicated activity team that hang out in cliques when not coddling up to the cougars whilst begging for shampoo, bug spray and peanut butter brought from home are obnoxious. What kind of quality organization lets their staff get absolutely obliterated while putting themselves first before paying guests at the bar and in buffet lines? But honestly, worth discussing who IS paying because you can tell that while new members paid a bit to be here, the seasoned veterans are clearly being subsidized.

Food is good but everything is buffet and self serve. Self serve your coffee etc. at breakfast and you can even self serve lunch beers. Absolutely no service and often guests are not even acknowledged - purely transactional. Live music at Sharkies is fabulous but otherwise shows are juvenile. Bartenders care nothing of the long lines. You should not need to wait in line 30 minutes for a drink at an all inclusive and well drinks shouldn’t be of such low quality that you’re upgrading to palatable wines and liquor. Not the warm hospitality the Caribbean is so well known for.

Rooms are old and tired like 80s dorm rooms with comfy beds but purely functional and most without a balcony. 2in1 shampoo/conditioner bolted to the wall in a moldy shower with temperamental water temperatures. Cinder block and old. No minibar and weird stuff like a single coffee mug and a shortage of pillows. The safe is also from the 80s and I Lysol wiped the filthy brown handprints down the edge of the door. Toilet paper is prison grade and top sheet has a little burn mark. Remember the clothes hangers that hook into the hoop permanently attached on the rod? Some are missing.

Beach is not groomed. Beach/pool chairs while plentiful are mildew stained. There are boats on the beach but absolutely no staff on hand to run any boating activity. Grounds are in very rough shape and this place is crawling with French pickleballers. Avoid rooms at the far end of 2000 block because they’re out there at the crack of dawn pickleballing away. Unless you like awakening to what sounds like furious ping pong. The whole place feels like a swingers club. Would never recommend. Go anywhere else. Date of stay: April 2022.

Original review: March 22, 2022

When I made reservations, I elected to pay insurance of $89.00 per person. I was advised if I cancelled all money would be refunded. Unfortunately for me, I had to cancel only 1 week later. The reservation was for 7 week later. When I called to cancel, I found out that I would be charged $60,00 per person as a "membership" fee that WAS NOT refundable. No one mentioned this to me when I made the reservations.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2022

Booking scam? I am sad to write this as I have loved Cub Med in the past. For context I had a 50% credit for a trip canceled back in 2020 due to Covid it has to be used by April 22. A variance is that they split the credit into two users, one for myself and one for my mother even though I booked both rooms on my credit card and I’ve been trying to explain this to them that I want to apply at both portions of the credit to my next trip.

While “window shopping” online last week I looked up the price for a spring break trip at Cancun and what the price would be if I applied the credit. My online account only showed partial credit and I have been in contact with customer service about how to apply both pieces. I have multiple emails with somebody from customer service confirming the back-and-forth and my emails asking for clarification on the amount. I never gave a credit card or confirmed I would book I said I was “interested“ but FIRST would need to know the total amount after the credit was applied. I also confirmed the trip was for 4 guests and even wrote down the reference number (I had also been looking at a 5 guest option).

Despite this back-and-forth the next email I receive is a booking confirmation for five guests with an invoice saying nonrefundable And with no full credit applied. I have since reached out multiple times with no reply. This feels like a scam where they were trying to twist my words into saying I confirmed but the email clearly says what I’m asking for. I never do I say I am ready to buy this. I am hoping this is just some silly customer service error as I have always loved command in the past but something doesn’t feel right about this experience at all. If customer service is reviewing this I am still waiting for your response on email to clear it up and will be happy to update this review once I do.

Update Jan 30th 2022. Indeed a scam from customer service. Looking to lock in guests with no refund even if resort closes for covid. From customer service. Essentially.. “The club med covid cancelation regulations don’t apply because you booked a non refundable trip“. I am waiting for a more follow up

Original review: Jan. 27, 2022

A week before travel, Club Med manager, Janene **, sends me an email at 23h40 to advise me on a new schedule, no telephone call, no reasonable explanation, no kindness or courteous service, just a blanket email. This trip was a gift for my father's 60th birthday and club med South Africa treats his holiday as nothing, Janine provided disappointing and poor service.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2021

We booked our company annual trip. We booked an all exclusive trip to the Bahamas with Club Med. In June everything was shut down because of the virus. So they canceled our trip. Then they came back and rescheduled us at a different resort. We were still excited to go on a club med trip. Then that was Postpone because of the virus. Then five days before we were supposed to go on the trip we came down with COVID-19. We tried to reschedule the trip to 30 days later and they wanted to charge us airline change fees with American. It states right on American Airlines that they are not charging change fees.

We decided to pay the change fees and go on the trip. Then they came back and wanted another $3000+ to change the dates at the resort. They canceled the vacation and will not do anything about it. Every time we call in we get different solutions and none of the work. I would never recommend anyone to use Club Med. Unless you just want to throw money away and not get any service. It has been the most horrible experience of my life. Stay away from Club Med and tell all of your friends and family to do the same.

Original review: July 28, 2020

Although we were in the Dominican during the early stages of COVID inevitably we had to leave early from our resort. We were to stay March 14-22. By Tuesday March 17th they started packing up the resort leaving us to sit around the pool with nothing open, nothing for our kids to do, other than eat and sit by the pool. They even packed up the beach chairs so we could not even enjoy the ocean unless we wanted to sit on the sand. We got out Friday March 20th after sitting in the airport for 8+ hours. The resort people did the best they could but told us not to worry. We would get credits for the days we lost due to the situation. We never asked corporate for prorated days for the resort being closed up Tuesday, just the couple days we were not there.

So weeks go by and no info/response from Club Med. Then after a month or so I and others we were with, reach out...no response, then months later reach out again, no response. I have finally told them to close off my membership program and delete my info...again no response. This company is awful and after a few years of putting up with incredibly average service and quality...enough. There are so many other places we can spend thousands and thousands of vacation dollars. Avoid this company. They are full of themselves and in retrospect always have been.

Club Med Company Information