International Chain

3.4/5 (157 ratings)

About Club Med

Club Med Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Club Med?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Club Med?

Original review: April 19, 2022

There aren’t many places where we are unable to have a good time and we did here too but wow, what a shock. I'm not sure how people return repeatedly to this property when there is SO much more out there that is so much nicer than this property. This place is not worth the very discounted price paid. We tip generously and the GEs (the waitstaff, the hardest working folks) are appreciative but the GOs, the petulant, super intoxicated activity team that hang out in cliques when not coddling up to the cougars whilst begging for shampoo, bug spray and peanut butter brought from home are obnoxious. What kind of quality organization lets their staff get absolutely obliterated while putting themselves first before paying guests at the bar and in buffet lines? But honestly, worth discussing who IS paying because you can tell that while new members paid a bit to be here, the seasoned veterans are clearly being subsidized.

Food is good but everything is buffet and self serve. Self serve your coffee etc. at breakfast and you can even self serve lunch beers. Absolutely no service and often guests are not even acknowledged - purely transactional. Live music at Sharkies is fabulous but otherwise shows are juvenile. Bartenders care nothing of the long lines. You should not need to wait in line 30 minutes for a drink at an all inclusive and well drinks shouldn’t be of such low quality that you’re upgrading to palatable wines and liquor. Not the warm hospitality the Caribbean is so well known for.

Rooms are old and tired like 80s dorm rooms with comfy beds but purely functional and most without a balcony. 2in1 shampoo/conditioner bolted to the wall in a moldy shower with temperamental water temperatures. Cinder block and old. No minibar and weird stuff like a single coffee mug and a shortage of pillows. The safe is also from the 80s and I Lysol wiped the filthy brown handprints down the edge of the door. Toilet paper is prison grade and top sheet has a little burn mark. Remember the clothes hangers that hook into the hoop permanently attached on the rod? Some are missing.

Beach is not groomed. Beach/pool chairs while plentiful are mildew stained. There are boats on the beach but absolutely no staff on hand to run any boating activity. Grounds are in very rough shape and this place is crawling with French pickleballers. Avoid rooms at the far end of 2000 block because they’re out there at the crack of dawn pickleballing away. Unless you like awakening to what sounds like furious ping pong. The whole place feels like a swingers club. Would never recommend. Go anywhere else. Date of stay: April 2022.

Original review: March 22, 2022

When I made reservations, I elected to pay insurance of $89.00 per person. I was advised if I cancelled all money would be refunded. Unfortunately for me, I had to cancel only 1 week later. The reservation was for 7 week later. When I called to cancel, I found out that I would be charged $60,00 per person as a "membership" fee that WAS NOT refundable. No one mentioned this to me when I made the reservations.

Get buying tips about Hotel Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2022

Booking scam? I am sad to write this as I have loved Cub Med in the past. For context I had a 50% credit for a trip canceled back in 2020 due to Covid it has to be used by April 22. A variance is that they split the credit into two users, one for myself and one for my mother even though I booked both rooms on my credit card and I’ve been trying to explain this to them that I want to apply at both portions of the credit to my next trip.

While “window shopping” online last week I looked up the price for a spring break trip at Cancun and what the price would be if I applied the credit. My online account only showed partial credit and I have been in contact with customer service about how to apply both pieces. I have multiple emails with somebody from customer service confirming the back-and-forth and my emails asking for clarification on the amount. I never gave a credit card or confirmed I would book I said I was “interested“ but FIRST would need to know the total amount after the credit was applied. I also confirmed the trip was for 4 guests and even wrote down the reference number (I had also been looking at a 5 guest option).

Despite this back-and-forth the next email I receive is a booking confirmation for five guests with an invoice saying nonrefundable And with no full credit applied. I have since reached out multiple times with no reply. This feels like a scam where they were trying to twist my words into saying I confirmed but the email clearly says what I’m asking for. I never do I say I am ready to buy this. I am hoping this is just some silly customer service error as I have always loved command in the past but something doesn’t feel right about this experience at all. If customer service is reviewing this I am still waiting for your response on email to clear it up and will be happy to update this review once I do.

Update Jan 30th 2022. Indeed a scam from customer service. Looking to lock in guests with no refund even if resort closes for covid. From customer service. Essentially.. “The club med covid cancelation regulations don’t apply because you booked a non refundable trip“. I am waiting for a more follow up

Original review: Jan. 27, 2022

A week before travel, Club Med manager, Janene **, sends me an email at 23h40 to advise me on a new schedule, no telephone call, no reasonable explanation, no kindness or courteous service, just a blanket email. This trip was a gift for my father's 60th birthday and club med South Africa treats his holiday as nothing, Janine provided disappointing and poor service.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2021

We booked our company annual trip. We booked an all exclusive trip to the Bahamas with Club Med. In June everything was shut down because of the virus. So they canceled our trip. Then they came back and rescheduled us at a different resort. We were still excited to go on a club med trip. Then that was Postpone because of the virus. Then five days before we were supposed to go on the trip we came down with COVID-19. We tried to reschedule the trip to 30 days later and they wanted to charge us airline change fees with American. It states right on American Airlines that they are not charging change fees.

We decided to pay the change fees and go on the trip. Then they came back and wanted another $3000+ to change the dates at the resort. They canceled the vacation and will not do anything about it. Every time we call in we get different solutions and none of the work. I would never recommend anyone to use Club Med. Unless you just want to throw money away and not get any service. It has been the most horrible experience of my life. Stay away from Club Med and tell all of your friends and family to do the same.

Original review: July 28, 2020

Although we were in the Dominican during the early stages of COVID inevitably we had to leave early from our resort. We were to stay March 14-22. By Tuesday March 17th they started packing up the resort leaving us to sit around the pool with nothing open, nothing for our kids to do, other than eat and sit by the pool. They even packed up the beach chairs so we could not even enjoy the ocean unless we wanted to sit on the sand. We got out Friday March 20th after sitting in the airport for 8+ hours. The resort people did the best they could but told us not to worry. We would get credits for the days we lost due to the situation. We never asked corporate for prorated days for the resort being closed up Tuesday, just the couple days we were not there.

So weeks go by and no info/response from Club Med. Then after a month or so I and others we were with, reach out...no response, then months later reach out again, no response. I have finally told them to close off my membership program and delete my info...again no response. This company is awful and after a few years of putting up with incredibly average service and quality...enough. There are so many other places we can spend thousands and thousands of vacation dollars. Avoid this company. They are full of themselves and in retrospect always have been.

Original review: June 18, 2020

I made a reservation for Club Med in Florida for August trip on May 29, 2020 for the trip in August. I read the cancellation policy to make sure that I could cancel the trip if needed because of the pandemic and Florida quarantines people from NY for 14 days. I wish I took a screenshot that day. It said on their website that if I booked and cancelled 15 days before my reservation date, I would get 100% refund including my membership fee of $150, 2 adults and 1 child. $150 is a lot of money for membership. If I didn't think, I could get this money back; I would have never booked this trip. ClubMed should have done the right thing during this pandemic and refund the membership fee. I felt ripped off by this company. I called their corporate office in Tempe, AZ and even talked to the supervisor that did not want to help me at all. They said they will refund me the deposit minus $150 membership fee that I did not even use.

Original review: June 7, 2020

When I booked I was told due to the situation with the pandemic if there is any problem Land fees would be 100% refundable. They wouldn’t give me back my money and closed the resort. Said I have one year to use it and they weren’t sure when they were going to reopen. I had to dispute it with the credit card company and they were not helpful in the worst customer service. The reason it took so long was because they’re owned by somebody in China and run the business out of France. They tried to tell me I had a contract but they couldn’t provide it with the bank so I got my money back eventually after a lot of aggravation and a lot of lies on their end! I would never ever book through them again or go to any of their results or anything down and check to see who owns these island results.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

We booked through Club Med website and had to pay a “membership “ fee. Don’t bother. Just a money grab. Supposedly booked a superior room, don’t bother. They are all the same. Moldy, dirty and old. Upon arriving, we were starving, oh the restaurant and only restaurant is closed, won’t open until 7:15. Really late for dinner. The service was next to none. It’s cafeteria style. Fend for yourself. The pool is noisy like going to camp with your teen friends and it’s all day. Go to the beach. It’s so beautiful and that’s their money card. No one wants to be lied and Trip Advisor and this place is one big lie. Avoid it!

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

It's nothing but a drinking party resort. Old buildings, poor broken amenities, not enough to do, water so choppy & waves so big on shore, no one even goes on the beach or in that water. Poor housekeeping staff. Had to beg for washcloths, no good communication about where things were located. Food was like Golden Corral food or cruise ship food. The bar area smelled like feet, sweat, & BO the entire time there. No phone in room to call for anything. Very disappointing since we can never get our honeymoon back now!

Club Med Company Information