3.56/5

140 Cathay Pacific Airlines Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

This is first time to have a flight with Cathay Pacific and will be the last time as well. Due to the protest stuffs going on in Hong Kong, we were worried that it might affect our honeymoon trip. I called the customer service line to cancel my flight. The first call was made at 1:37pm on 8/12/2019 Pacific time. A guy picked up the phone call, I asked him if he can cancel my flight for me? He told me that I called the wrong number. I double check before I called, that was the number I got from Cathay Pacific website. Then he hang up my phone call. I called again, that was a lady. I ask the lady if that was Cathay Pacific airline, she said yes. I told her what was going on and would like to speak to a supervisor regarding how I was treated by the first guy who pick up the call. She hang up my phone call!

I called again, get a hold with another guy. I told him I need to cancel my flight due to the protesting in Hong Kong. He told me that we need to pay for the penalty fee which was $300 per person. I said this not because of we wanted to canceled, it's because the Hong Kong airport is closed!! He told me if I don't want to pay for the penalty, I can call on the day of the traveling. Then I said, "Fine, I call on that day. By the way, can I please speak to a supervisor?" I told him what was going on for the first couple times I called. I got treated like **, he hang up my phone call, again. Cathay Pacific is one of the biggest airline in Asia, but I don't know how you guys can survived in the market? You have the worse customer service, ever!!

Original review: July 6, 2019

Airline desk person was very rude in body language and talking. As far as I know these people are there to help you but not with Cathay Pacific. A miscommunication issue which could have been resolved in 5 min did not resolve at all and left me waiting on the airport for 15 hours. I won't be using Cathay Pacific again. Very bad experience. :(

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 19, 2019

Cathay has departed from his upscale policies and now is more a budget airline than anything else. I hold a Diamond tier and have over 800k miles, but what is the point of having miles when you cannot get a confirmation for a flight a month and a half ahead of its intended booking! Now Cathay tells me I need to be on a waitlist, meaning IF they don't sell the flight a week prior to your departure then you can flight. Loyalty programs are mostly used when you want to book a holiday with the family and how are you supposed to book hotels and plan if you cannot confirm your flights! Ridiculous.

Original review: June 11, 2019

Have you seen the "Go Beyond" Cathay Pacific advertising campaign? Well it's a total lie, nothing has changed, they are still the most uncaring, thoughtless airline, and they are desperate for money. Passengers and passenger comfort mean nothing, it's all about a "buck"! I travel only in business and first, and have found Cathay to be the most unreliable airline I've ever flown. Over the past 3-4 years almost 70% of the flights I've been booked on left late, sometimes up to 3 or 4 hours late. In many cases as a premium passenger paying top dollar for seats at the front of the aircraft, they didn't even inform me of the delays.

Their regional business class is terrible in the Boeing 777, it's got 3 seats in the centre, just like economy! Totally uncomfortable. Some of their food is inedible, and the champagne they serve is the cheapest garbage they can buy! No value at all! Their cabin crew are totally demoralised and obviously unmotivated, so why should they try. Cathay was once a great carrier, but the current management has absolutely no idea, to think that they think a fancy campaign with nice words will change anything... They are dreaming, and I suggest they fly other Asian carriers themselves to see why they don't compete.

In the last day I've booked a series of flights and already have run into trouble with their appalling customer service. Nothing has changed since this new promotion Go Beyond has started, in fact their staff are acting a completely the opposite to what their CEO promises in the letter he sent to all Cathay's Marco Polo Members. Is he lying? Well I don't know, but the reality is they are a substandard airline, desperately seeking way to get more money. They are losing money right now and no wonder. They would be better off making sure they live up to their advertising promises of better service, thoughtfulness, and caring etc, than spending money trying to fool the travelling public. Don't waste money with Cathay, they don't deserve loyalty!

Original review: June 1, 2019

Cathay Pacific is the worst. I paid almost 2000$ for a round trip from Chicago to Hyderabad. The flight was delayed in Chicago for 30 Mins and in Hong Kong as well due to some issue flight was delayed by 40 Mins. Once we were landed in Hong Kong we were told that Hyderabad flight took off 15 mins before the scheduled time and we have to wait for 24 hours to board the next flight. I had a visa interview and I explained my situation to them and they told that they can't do anything. They took our passports to get a transit visa. After 1 hour they came back and said that my visa is rejected and I had to wait in Lounge. They gave a suggestion of going till Chennai and from there I can take Hyderabad flight and claim the amount. When enquired about the luggage, we were told that Cathay Pacific crew in Chennai will help us. So we (nearly 6 other passengers) took the flight and we even took the email as well.

Once we landed in the Chennai airport, we got to know that Cathay Pacific Crew will be available at night time and nobody is there to help us. We tried to reach Cathay Pacific Customer Service number and it was busy all the time. Each of the passengers paid nearly Rs 30000 for additional baggage from Chennai to Hyderabad. When I tried to reach out to Customer care they are saying that the problem is due to air traffic controllers, we can't do anything in this situation.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cathay Pacific Airlines?

Original review: May 9, 2019

According to the Cathay Pacific 24 hour cancellation policy, "You can cancel the reservations within 24 hours and get back the full refund with our refund process." And can make the booking within the 7 days or earlier before departure via the internet. We book a returned ticket to HK and needed to change booking because of the Asia miles point issue. Booking was cancelled and rebooked within 12 hours, and we later found out Cathay had deducted $300 something dollars from our refund for fees.

When we called the customer service they said: "the policy is only for US, there is nothing we can do for you" and there is no one we can talk to regarding this. I hope more people will see this and be careful before cancelling ticket, and I will keep trying on different channel until we get a fair response from Cathay since they have been ignoring us.

Original review: April 12, 2019

Paid for extra leg room but had to stand due to the incompetent staff giving a passenger a ridiculous amount of alcohol who was standing the entire trip in the exit in front of my seat! Serving him 2 drinks at a time he became so drunk. He was noisy and started a fight. The man was then sat in my seat by the staff and I swapped to the other side of the aisle. I was then left with a shouting rude drunk passenger next to me for 10 hours and I had to stand at the back of the plane just to get away from him.

The staff were totally responsible for the fact that he got so drunk. He stole a bottle of vodka from the drink trolley and champagne from first class!! They had no control and just gave him more and more alcohol. Upon returning I complained and after “thorough” investigation they managed to get totally the wrong facts and accused me of being the one fighting!! I’ve finally had an apology for the incorrect accusation but still no refund for the seat I couldn’t sit in and a disgusting response. There’s a reason why other airlines are rated better. I’m seeing a lawyer.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I booked my flight from Cape Town to Seoul, then I had to cancel it due to my personal reason. When I clicked cancel the flight, It did not notify me or warn me that there will be cancellation fee charged. Then it just cancelled just in one click. What if someone accidentally click cancel? And they just proceed with the cancellation and they charged me R2500 (South African rands) per person, me and my husband, plus admin fee of R250 per person which I did not know about, plus extra legroom seat is not refundable but it was R2000 per person. So in total of almost R10,000 Is lost just because I cancelled two days after the booking. This is ridiculous. The flight ticket was R21,000 and They took the half of it. This is ridiculous. Please do not use Cathay Pacific. They just want the money taken away from you.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

Employees of the company refused me in boarding right in the gates with all required documentation. I had connected flight. Last destination Bali. They required return ticket from Bali. I had to book it literally in 5 minutes. After I made booking they refused even to look at it. And said that the boarding for me is not available. I think they did not have right to do it. After that they just left the counter in rough manner left me in the middle of the airport. I will complain and start process. But now I would like to inform people like me - don’t use this company. I consider it scam. I proposed them write explanation with id of workers, to invite manager. To show me office of the company, so I can speak to someone. But they left like criminals. My email is **. If somebody can advise me where to write a complaint. I have all document with me.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Dec 29, 2018: Siem Reap To Hong Kong 1725 hrs. Business Class so I thought. Arrived at gate for departure. Although there is a Business Class boarding line at this gate. It was full of Economy Class Travellers as was the economy line. There was no order. Just chaos. When it came to boarding twenty-percent of the economy travellers boarded the transfer bus first. Those of whom boarded the aircraft first before business class passengers also. The flight was uneventful and the meal service considered fair compared to other airlines.

On arrival to Hong Kong we were significantly delayed during disembarkation of the aircraft. Finally we were informed the equipment was going to be moved to a free standing apron pad where we, the passengers would be bused into the terminal. This whole process took a further hour to complete. At one point the passengers on the bus I had been on sat stationary on the apron with the doors closed without ventilation for a further thirty-minutes. During which time the other several buses all of whom were economy passengers had reached the terminal and had collected their baggage.

Further, I now understand having a priority sticker tag on your baggage means it will arrive last on the conveyor. I paid an extra $1760 CN dollars above economy seat ticket for the privilege of being treated in a manner that would not be considered Business Class Service. I'm requesting a fifty-percent refund on the $1760 CN Dollars as I consider the service was nothing short of appalling. I do welcome anyone with a sense of responsibility for the company to contact me to further discuss these issues.

Cathay Pacific Airlines Company Information