2. Travel
  3. Airlines

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.35/5

Cathay Pacific Airlines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cathay Pacific Airlines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cathay Pacific Airlines?

Original review: April 29, 2020

They confirmed no extra ticket charges due to the current crisis yet when you call and want to reschedule the flight they cancelled, they want to charge the double of original price. Customer service is rude and not trying to help you.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2020

Travel is a gift. Every touch point should evoke a different sense of excitement and thrill. Air flights are the beginnings of many touch points, and options for comfort exist. International business class is not all equal. Here's my optic of Cathay Pacific Business Class LAX-HKG-BKK and the return BKK-HKG-LAX. How excited we were to by chance be able to save our vacation travel from headaches and fly Cathay Pacific. Originally, we were set to fly PAL Business Class thru Manila to BKK; however, the Taal Volcano threw us a curve ball four days before our journey was to begin.

In desperately search for an alternative carrier that would align with existing connections in BKK as well as return accommodation in BKK, Cathay Pacific held the flights. Without hesitation we booked. Now, we are not novices to International Business Class travel. EVA is our most preferred carrier, but its flight schedule did not align with our awaiting connection in BKK. We had always said that we should fly Cathay Pacific to see how it compared. It was only just nine months earlier we flew PAL for the first time, and were pleasantly surprised. With that being said, we were under impression that Cathay Pacific held one up on EVA. So, perhaps Cathay Pacific would be our new go to first before EVA. Let us begin.

Flight CX881 15 Jan 20. LAX-HKG departed on time. That's always a good thing. The business seat though lacks lumbar support (see photo). The amenity kit was marginal stocked with a toothbrush kit, 15ml mouthwash, Bamford hand cream plus lip balm as well as hydrating face spray, sleep mask, and earplugs. Other marginal amenities were a pair of small disposal slippers that are not quite sized to accommodate a wide foot market, and a comforter. No pajamas here folks on this long haul as EVA, but to be fair PAL lacks PJs as well. Good thing though I brought a heavy cotton sweater as the cabin is kept cold, like cold cold. You learn these little things as you travel. Not all carriers maintain comfortable air.

Movie selection at first appears to be vast, but upon further review, Maleficent was the only recent movie. I'm not on top of trending movies, so I named Maleficent due to TV commercial exposure. The rest are older releases with some that are ancient. Ah, not something expected. Please take time to learn what customers are seeing at the movies. A note about the interactive monitor, it is sluggish to the point of freezing up at times while scrolling. What type of dated software operating system is being used? Just saying.

The dinner options were typical. Local food with some Western. When the flight attendant came to take my dinner order, she asked if I would like the burger. My mind was like WTF? She then asked if I would like the seared chicken breast. That received a no. She actually look stunned and finally asked what I would like. I think she must have been Bslapped surprised when I ordered fish ball tung choy choy soup. For beverages, I ordered French Burgundy and water. BTW, NO flight attendant comes around asking if you would like more wine. WTF? Dessert taken was cheeses along with fruit, and I asked for a cordial cointreau. Another look of like OMG I have to work. With the flight leaving almost at midnight, there was no pre cordial anything which was not expected either. So many touch points missed. Remember this is International Business Class, not American/United/Delta domestic make believe first.

A tablecloth is laid, but do not get excited. Food is divvied up on a luncheon tray. Excuse me! We're flying International Business Class on Cathay Pacific, not China Eastern. The food had good flavor, but there is no individual salt or pepper shakers. There goes another touch point. After meal I went to the restroom to brush my teeth. I expected it to be stocked with extras as well, but not. The restroom was basic with two soaps and some hand cream. There is no extra mouthwash, or travel kit material such as toothbrush, toothpaste, or even single use shavers. Heck, even Asiana and Korean Air restrooms contain along with EVA and PAL stocking extras.

Remember, Cathay Pacific ranks number four airline according to SkyTrac. I did ask a crew member for extra mouthwash. She searched high and low. Nope, there is nothing extra to be sourced on this carrier. Remember, Cathay Pacific ranks number 4. One side note, a 500ml bottle of Evian water is provided. One has to give that to an attendant for refill. The refill though was not Evian. How do I know? I asked for a refill by going up to the galley area where all good little flight attendants herd avoiding customers.

I was told to bring my empty bottle up where it was refilled with basic bottle water. My eyes were shocked. Okay, I know don't be that picky. However, this carrier is bloated with reviews that do not reflect its actuality. After taking sleep, a morning meal was served. I did prefill my request. Same issues as with dinner service, so no need to redredge. Beyond four plus touchpoints and missed superior service achievement on this particular leg.

CX615 17 Jan 20. HKK-BKK proved to be a tad better in flight service. Seats in business were not all occupied, so perhaps that was why. I had the dim sum for meal. Eh, was it purchased from Costco? Maximums is in HKG airport, go eat Dim Sum there. Returning. CX700 30 Jan 20. HKG-BKK was similar as before. I had asked to speak with the head flight attendant about why I received an HTML email from Cathay Pacific in Chinese. The tickets were purchased in US. All contact information is US. All communication email up to 27 Jan 30 are in HTML English. She had no idea and a bit confused why too. We also shared with her our initial optics of the company she works for. Sharing the impersonalness, the lack luster. She got pulled away because of the Captain, and I could hear her mention something to an attendant about my optics.

About a minute later, an attendant came up asking me if I wanted a drink to calm down. I could only chuckle to myself, and tell the attendant that her boss clearly failed to grasp what I was sharing about Cathay Pacific. I certainly was not wanting booze at 8:20am. She said she would let her boss know. After takeoff the head flight attendant returned. We both went over with her the lackluster of hype about Cathay Pacific. She got it and was a bit of a taken back. I told her that she clearly should go experience EVA or even PAL service delivery. I even told her PAL may not have the most up to date business aesthetic cabin on all its planes, but the personalness along with not serving food on a cafeteria tray are better presentation than Cathay Pacific's presentation. Yes, again I know it reads picky; however, I've been flying International business class for almost 30 years. Many airlines fail and many continue to fail presentation.

CX882 30 Jan 20. HKG-LAX held the same boring nothingness service as the outbound. After dinner, another round of hot towels were passed. The one I received was ice cold. I brought it to an attendant's attention. She tried to pass the buck on it being how the towels are stacked. Excuse me? Why is that my concern, and why did the young man who brought the towels fail to twice check that the towels were correct for delivery. I went to use the restroom and it was not stocked with cups. Do no attendants service the restrooms? Eww. There goes beyond countable touch points.

So here as I write, we are 35 minutes before landing. Would I fly Cathay Pacific again? No. Why would I go out of my way to recommend Cathay Pacific as I do with other international business class service carriers such as EVA, Korean Air, PAL, JAL, KLM, Asiana? No. Will I share my experience flying on Cathay Pacific with someone who asks have I ever flown? Yes. Just now as I sit finishing this, an attendant came by asking may she collect my glassware. I said yes. She stood there with her tray awaiting me to place on. Why did I have to do her job?

So, this was my experience flying International Business Class on Cathay Pacific ranked number four carrier by SkyTrac. How it ranks higher than EVA, I scratch my head. Perhaps the flyers skytrac asks are the problem, or perhaps the questions asked are not the right ones. As for Cathay Pacific, I'm willing to bet that it will remain as it is. One thing for us is that we don't repeat sloppy. Safe travels! And, there is nothing special about flying Cathay Pacific International business class.

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

Terrible!!! Terrible!!! Please avoid and do not choose Cathay Pacific as they will abandon you in times of trouble. Very slow response, they don't care about the passenger's welfare. They never bother to rebook the cancelled flight because of the corona virus outbreak. They are policy oriented people. They cannot help you at the moment you need them as Cathay Pacific is also a terrible company. They will just abandon people. No hotel or any accommodation being provided. I was stuck in the Aiport in Cebu for the whole night as there was no help at all. I requested for them to rebook my flight but they refused. I even asked Cathay Pacific to help me but they refused as well.

The communication and their customer service is a struggle. It's very hard to contact them with regards to my cancelled flight. No advice or any notification from them. Very irresponsible company. Avoid this type of people who don't have a heart. I am really annoyed with the way they handled the situation. They are just after for the money as they told me to book for another flight and it's very expensive as they cannot rebook me. They never help me at all. Please if you can avoid this company please do so. This type of company should never exist in this type of industry. They will exploit and persecute you in times of need. Avoid avoid avoid. Terrible company. If I can only rate this company to 0 I would do so. This is outrageously unacceptable!!!!!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

I travel overseas twice a year. Cathay Pacific is the airline company who's given me the worst impression so far. Last time when I booked my flights with them online, I chose vegetarian meals. But when I was about to go aboard, the crew blamed me that I didn't tell the counter that I required vegetarian meals and asked me to buy my own meals from the airport. I was horrified from what I heard. Plus, the staff really don't like to smile.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2019

I was waiting in gate 34 since 9 am in terminal 2 till 8 pm, I heard NO announcement of the flight or my name till I went to the board and see it's gate 43, so I run to the gate and lady by Cathay Pacific uniform stayed about 500 meter away from the gate with my name in her hand, I identify that's me and she said, "Hurry up. The gate is going to close," when we got to the gate they said it's already closed, they took my boarding pass and send to customer service, she said, "You must pay NO Show Fee HD 1570 and buy a new ticket for HD 3140."

I was really frustrated and I said, "It's your fault and I have to pay all this because of it?" No solid answer, I said, "Let me go online and check for the new ticket" and find China Air offering $366, I deserved that one and Cathay Pacific didn't refund any part of my unused ticket plus on top of that they were penalizing me. Their customer service staff were strict forward and like army just following the rules without any sympathy and apologies, No flight with CATHAY PACIFIC for me again.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2019

Travelling from Beijing to Hong Kong with the right cabin size baggage and appropriate weight was still refused to board the flight, I begged them that I'll leave the baggage and take the clothes in small bag which I was having. Still they shut the entry gate on my face and refused me to board the flight even though I was 30 minutes earlier. I am student at Beijing university but for them they have nothing to do with it. Worst airlines to travel with.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

It was my flight from Dubai to HK on 18th of November 2019 - Flight CX 738. I had my hand carry with me with right baggage allowance and carrying my shoulder bag with me. I ask the lady name Malla/Mallar If she can help me to put it in the cabin (I ask for her assistance in a nice way and didn’t tell her to put by herself) cause it’s was a bit heavy and hard for me to put it but she replied arrogantly that if it’s heavy for me it was heavy for herself as well and telling me to go check the weight of my luggage again outside the plane. I was a bit shock and just told her, "No worries. I’ll try to do it" and when she notice I got pissed she suddenly insisted that we put together. And another cabin crew was talking rude to an old lady for putting her shoes on cause we are landing. I hope they don’t base their attitude and service if which “class” are you in the plane. Economy, Business Class, or First Class, they should treat the people in a same way.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2019

We'll never choose to fly with Cathay again. In general, our Cathay flight experiences have been good so far, but when it comes to customer service..it's the worst! First of all they make it so hard to make a complaint or ask for refund. There is no email to contact them and they are not answering the phone number that's available to the public. Even now I am calling them and still no one is answering.

I booked a holiday package for me and my husband (flight + hotel) from Cathay Pacific fanfares website for Penang, Malaysia. The name of the second passenger had a typo error which I noticed only 2 days BEFORE the flight. I was calling Cathay Pacific Holidays hotline at 27473311 but no one was picking up so we decided to go to the airport the day of the flight and try find someone there to help us (it was 6am). Lady at the ticketing office was rude and keep saying that there was nothing she could do and that we should buy a new ticket but there were no seats available and she suggested to put us on waiting list (note that the flight was departing in 2 hours). At the end, we went back home as no one wanted to help us and just like that we lost EUR650.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2019

I am very disappointed to choose this airline to my long waited trip to Toronto. I flew 27 hours from my country, and they missed my baggage, it’d been 3 days now I’m surviving without my baggage in a country far from home. Can I give you zero star? And what do you mean you cannot update my missing baggage status?

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

I flew from Shanghai to Barcelona via HK. The 1st flight was delayed so I barely made it to the 2nd. However, my suitcase didn't. In Barcelona, they told me I need to wait 2 more days for my baggage. The luggage was supposed to be delivered at 1.30 PM, then in the evening, then the next (3rd) day morning. It seems I am never going to get my suitcase back. I tried calling the airlines, but no one pick ups the phone EVER! They also don't respond to emails. I tried the website but it is just looping and it is impossible to get in touch them unless they call you to tell you that you need to wait even longer. Worst experience ever.

Cathay Pacific Airlines Company Information