2. Travel
  3. Airlines

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.25/5

Cathay Pacific Airlines Reviews

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

I am disappointed with this airline. My wife is travelling from Chicago to the Philippines with 2 hour connecting flight from Hong Kong. The thing is they have same 7 hour delay with the same flight a day before (Same flight number; Same itinerary). That will be nice if they have a heads up.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2019

I was waiting in gate 34 since 9 am in terminal 2 till 8 pm, I heard NO announcement of the flight or my name till I went to the board and see it's gate 43, so I run to the gate and lady by Cathay Pacific uniform stayed about 500 meter away from the gate with my name in her hand, I identify that's me and she said, "Hurry up. The gate is going to close," when we got to the gate they said it's already closed, they took my boarding pass and send to customer service, she said, "You must pay NO Show Fee HD 1570 and buy a new ticket for HD 3140."

I was really frustrated and I said, "It's your fault and I have to pay all this because of it?" No solid answer, I said, "Let me go online and check for the new ticket" and find China Air offering $366, I deserved that one and Cathay Pacific didn't refund any part of my unused ticket plus on top of that they were penalizing me. Their customer service staff were strict forward and like army just following the rules without any sympathy and apologies, No flight with CATHAY PACIFIC for me again.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2019

Travelling from Beijing to Hong Kong with the right cabin size baggage and appropriate weight was still refused to board the flight, I begged them that I'll leave the baggage and take the clothes in small bag which I was having. Still they shut the entry gate on my face and refused me to board the flight even though I was 30 minutes earlier. I am student at Beijing university but for them they have nothing to do with it. Worst airlines to travel with.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

It was my flight from Dubai to HK on 18th of November 2019 - Flight CX 738. I had my hand carry with me with right baggage allowance and carrying my shoulder bag with me. I ask the lady name Malla/Mallar If she can help me to put it in the cabin (I ask for her assistance in a nice way and didn’t tell her to put by herself) cause it’s was a bit heavy and hard for me to put it but she replied arrogantly that if it’s heavy for me it was heavy for herself as well and telling me to go check the weight of my luggage again outside the plane. I was a bit shock and just told her, "No worries. I’ll try to do it" and when she notice I got pissed she suddenly insisted that we put together. And another cabin crew was talking rude to an old lady for putting her shoes on cause we are landing. I hope they don’t base their attitude and service if which “class” are you in the plane. Economy, Business Class, or First Class, they should treat the people in a same way.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2019

We'll never choose to fly with Cathay again. In general, our Cathay flight experiences have been good so far, but when it comes to customer service..it's the worst! First of all they make it so hard to make a complaint or ask for refund. There is no email to contact them and they are not answering the phone number that's available to the public. Even now I am calling them and still no one is answering.

I booked a holiday package for me and my husband (flight + hotel) from Cathay Pacific fanfares website for Penang, Malaysia. The name of the second passenger had a typo error which I noticed only 2 days BEFORE the flight. I was calling Cathay Pacific Holidays hotline at 27473311 but no one was picking up so we decided to go to the airport the day of the flight and try find someone there to help us (it was 6am). Lady at the ticketing office was rude and keep saying that there was nothing she could do and that we should buy a new ticket but there were no seats available and she suggested to put us on waiting list (note that the flight was departing in 2 hours). At the end, we went back home as no one wanted to help us and just like that we lost EUR650.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cathay Pacific Airlines?

Original review: Sept. 22, 2019

I am very disappointed to choose this airline to my long waited trip to Toronto. I flew 27 hours from my country, and they missed my baggage, it’d been 3 days now I’m surviving without my baggage in a country far from home. Can I give you zero star? And what do you mean you cannot update my missing baggage status?

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

I flew from Shanghai to Barcelona via HK. The 1st flight was delayed so I barely made it to the 2nd. However, my suitcase didn't. In Barcelona, they told me I need to wait 2 more days for my baggage. The luggage was supposed to be delivered at 1.30 PM, then in the evening, then the next (3rd) day morning. It seems I am never going to get my suitcase back. I tried calling the airlines, but no one pick ups the phone EVER! They also don't respond to emails. I tried the website but it is just looping and it is impossible to get in touch them unless they call you to tell you that you need to wait even longer. Worst experience ever.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

Cathay Pacific used to be a great airline, years ago I was a loyal customer. Things have changed, they prize themselves on great customer service which justifies costs higher than their competition. However in recent years, they have outsourced their customer service to call centres that get bogged down by roundabout policies that make it impossible to get things done. Their responses are all very robotic, scripted and designed to suck more money out of you with hidden fees. They treat you with the same low level of customer service regardless of whether you are a loyalty cardholder or not. Their aircrafts are becoming dated and their food is now on par with cheaper airlines. Go for a cheaper airline, you'll pay less for the same thing, and with lower expectations, you can at least expect a certain level of mistreatment.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2019

Cathay Pacific is not a good airline anymore. I have traveled few times in past 2 years and experience is not good at all. They do not have anything to offer if passenger is hungry (apart from meal) like fruits, juice, soup etc. The value for money is not fair. I originally booked my flight which was of 22 hours duration including waiting time at transition airport but I ended up with more than 33 hours of travel time with 2 transitions which is so stressful. On top of this there is no one to help on customer care on Sunday. What if someone is in urgent need? Who is responsible for that? I will not recommend travelling from this airlines and will not be taking any Cathay Pacific flights in future.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

This is first time to have a flight with Cathay Pacific and will be the last time as well. Due to the protest stuffs going on in Hong Kong, we were worried that it might affect our honeymoon trip. I called the customer service line to cancel my flight. The first call was made at 1:37pm on 8/12/2019 Pacific time. A guy picked up the phone call, I asked him if he can cancel my flight for me? He told me that I called the wrong number. I double check before I called, that was the number I got from Cathay Pacific website. Then he hang up my phone call. I called again, that was a lady. I ask the lady if that was Cathay Pacific airline, she said yes. I told her what was going on and would like to speak to a supervisor regarding how I was treated by the first guy who pick up the call. She hang up my phone call!

I called again, get a hold with another guy. I told him I need to cancel my flight due to the protesting in Hong Kong. He told me that we need to pay for the penalty fee which was $300 per person. I said this not because of we wanted to canceled, it's because the Hong Kong airport is closed!! He told me if I don't want to pay for the penalty, I can call on the day of the traveling. Then I said, "Fine, I call on that day. By the way, can I please speak to a supervisor?" I told him what was going on for the first couple times I called. I got treated like **, he hang up my phone call, again. Cathay Pacific is one of the biggest airline in Asia, but I don't know how you guys can survived in the market? You have the worse customer service, ever!!

Not sure about Cathay Pacific Airlines?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Airlines for you.

Cathay Pacific Airlines Company Information