1.21/5
Based on 120 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

133 Cathay Pacific Airlines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I booked my flight from Cape Town to Seoul, then I had to cancel it due to my personal reason. When I clicked cancel the flight, It did not notify me or warn me that there will be cancellation fee charged. Then it just cancelled just in one click. What if someone accidentally click cancel? And they just proceed with the cancellation and they charged me R2500 (South African rands) per person, me and my husband, plus admin fee of R250 per person which I did not know about, plus extra legroom seat is not refundable but it was R2000 per person. So in total of almost R10,000 Is lost just because I cancelled two days after the booking. This is ridiculous. The flight ticket was R21,000 and They took the half of it. This is ridiculous. Please do not use Cathay Pacific. They just want the money taken away from you.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

Employees of the company refused me in boarding right in the gates with all required documentation. I had connected flight. Last destination Bali. They required return ticket from Bali. I had to book it literally in 5 minutes. After I made booking they refused even to look at it. And said that the boarding for me is not available. I think they did not have right to do it. After that they just left the counter in rough manner left me in the middle of the airport. I will complain and start process. But now I would like to inform people like me - don’t use this company. I consider it scam. I proposed them write explanation with id of workers, to invite manager. To show me office of the company, so I can speak to someone. But they left like criminals. My email is **. If somebody can advise me where to write a complaint. I have all document with me.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Dec 29, 2018: Siem Reap To Hong Kong 1725 hrs. Business Class so I thought. Arrived at gate for departure. Although there is a Business Class boarding line at this gate. It was full of Economy Class Travellers as was the economy line. There was no order. Just chaos. When it came to boarding twenty-percent of the economy travellers boarded the transfer bus first. Those of whom boarded the aircraft first before business class passengers also. The flight was uneventful and the meal service considered fair compared to other airlines.

On arrival to Hong Kong we were significantly delayed during disembarkation of the aircraft. Finally we were informed the equipment was going to be moved to a free standing apron pad where we, the passengers would be bused into the terminal. This whole process took a further hour to complete. At one point the passengers on the bus I had been on sat stationary on the apron with the doors closed without ventilation for a further thirty-minutes. During which time the other several buses all of whom were economy passengers had reached the terminal and had collected their baggage.

Further, I now understand having a priority sticker tag on your baggage means it will arrive last on the conveyor. I paid an extra $1760 CN dollars above economy seat ticket for the privilege of being treated in a manner that would not be considered Business Class Service. I'm requesting a fifty-percent refund on the $1760 CN Dollars as I consider the service was nothing short of appalling. I do welcome anyone with a sense of responsibility for the company to contact me to further discuss these issues.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

Worst airlines ever. I suggest not to book this airline especially if people are traveling to too far countries. We booked the flight from Chicago to Hong Kong on Dec 31st and we have a connecting flight with same Airlines with 1hr layover. The flight was delayed on Dec 31st due to some issues and we came to know that we will definitely miss the connecting flight. And Cathy Pacific offered saying we have next flight only with layover of 24hrs and we have to stay in Hong Kong airport for whole day. Why should we wait in airport for 24hrs to catch a flight which we have to travel only for 6hrs to reach Bangalore. And they can't provide accommodation because of our passport (can't stay in Hong Kong). After many discussions with Cathy Pacific finally they said they will book tickets for us on next day Jan 1st so that we can travel.

Jan 1st - We took the flight from Chicago to Hong Kong and again it delayed 39 min to Hong Kong and we missed the connecting flight. This is the worst service from Cathy Pacific. Now they said go to Chennai and then go to Bangalore. Why are they making it so complicated. If they know they can't reach in time they should at least keep the layover time more so that people will not miss it or reach in the time which they promised us.

I am assuming that they are doing this intentionally so that their flights will be full and running all the time. Imagine if it is an emergency situation like (someone badly sick and you can't reach in time to see them). Who will be responsible for this kind of situations? Request for Cathy Pacific Airlines. Please make sure people don't struggle or face difficulties because of your airline issues. There will be sick or old people and small kids so at least consider them and act accordingly.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

Flew from Singapore to Tel Aviv Israel on flight CX675 with my baby daughter (16 months) alone for the first time. During take off, I was securing the baby seatbelt on my very tired daughter before two flight attendants began loudly shrieking on about flight regulations and the belt "needing to be tighter". Without my consent, they lifted up my daughter and began fiddling with the belt, speaking more and more louder. When I protested and said I would do it myself, they brought more attendants and clicked the belt into place while my baby was screaming. They did not bother to check anyone else with an infant (I knew for a fact the couple next to me hid their lack of seatbelt with a blanket). I felt completely targeted and shaky from the incident.

The flight was also delayed one hour, meaning I would likely miss my connecting flight after. When I asked for some assistance in exiting the plane earlier, retrieving my bags first, in hopes I would make the flight, they basically told me their "on-ground" staff would help me once I arrived and that it wasn't their problem as the connecting flight wasn't with Cathay Pacific.

During the flight, I asked for water 4 times and was dismissed with a "we ran out of bottles," before they ran away down the aisle without even offering me a cup of water. I was traveling alone, with a breastfeeding infant and desperately needed something to drink. I couldn't believe how many times I was dismissed with a "my colleague will help you" and in the end, a fellow passenger who was watching shocked and appalled, went up by herself to get me a cup of water.

When the flight was about to land, I was told in the most condescending tone that I needed to have my daughter belted up and not in a carrier. I had a baby carrier attached to me but she was not in it, it was simply in preparation for the run I needed to do in order to try to make my next flight. I had calmed my daughter down and secured the belt and had her happily watching a movie on my phone. She began to get agitated again when not one, but THREE flight attendants insisted on me lifting up the girl to check the seat belt.

Again, I was the only one with an infant who was being treated like this. When I asked them to please leave us alone, they began loudly snapping at me about flight regulations and safety when I had done absolutely nothing wrong. They saw I had on a carrier (but it was just hanging down my legs and the child was not even in it) and used this as an excuse to again, without my consent, lift my screaming baby up and pull the belt even tighter around her.

Once I left the plane, I had to wait a ridiculous amount of time for my stroller to arrive and of course there was no "on-ground" crew to help me. The staff of Cathay Pacific were absolutely disgusting in their attitudes, service and general character. I felt completely violated and targeted, especially alone with a baby. I received absolutely no assistance with anything, including lifting heavy bags into the overhead compartment. I will never fly with them again and will be telling everyone I know to avoid them at all costs.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cathay Pacific Airlines?

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

They purposely running flights from Hyderabad in India to other Asian cities knowing full well that passengers will lose the connecting flight and wait long hours before catching the next one. They train the locals in India to lie, I think I should know better, comes with the territory...beware.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

It’s important to separate the flight from the customer service. The flight itself was great. Food was good, lots of entertainment options, pleasant. The issue was that sometimes flights are delayed, which mine was. Picture 400 people lining up to a customer service desk, staff trying to get rid of people by telling them to rebook via lounges instead of helping them. All because of instead of rebooking their flights automatically, this airline forces you to go to a staff member directly. I waited over an hour at one airport, then over 3 hours at the next airport because my delay caused me to miss all my connections.

Staff didn’t know how to re-book flights and it was as if this was the first delay they ever experienced. Then they rebooked my subsequent flights too close together so I missed my next connections. Did I mention they lost my bag on the way to Bangkok and offered me $90? Great, that’ll replace everything... If your bags show up and the flight leaves on time then great! If delays happen, and they tend to happen often in the airline industry, expect the worst customer service experience of your life. Don’t bother complaining afterwards either. They ignored my formal complaints I made through their website.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

Tuesday 27th Sept. 2018 My wife and me were booked for a flight from KUL to Hong Kong (CX 5732) followed by a connecting flight Hong Kong to Ewr (CX 890). Boarding passes were already issued at Kuala Lumpur for both flights, instead when I reached the Hong Kong terminal at 6.00pm I thought ground crew were waiting to meet me to guide me to my departure gate. Instead they took our passports and brought us to a check in counter and redo our Boarding passes for a flight to HKG > JFK (CX 846) giving us all kind of excuses that the customs were very far away and we would not be able to reach the boarding gate in time, mind you this was not my first time flying with Cathay Pacific but a sure case of Bumping for profits first and customer second.

I actually reached gate 19 to board CX 846 by 6.15pm in a mere 15mins when I had 20 mins to board my flight CX890. To make the situation worse they gave me and my wife the emergency seat next to the toilet and also the food and refreshment area, just imagine the amount of traffic moving around it was a very sleepless and stressed out 15hr flight. When I reached JFK airport I had to rearrange my transport picking me up from EWR to JFK as they were waiting for me at EWR. Do you ever realize the difficulty in driving into JFK New York? That is why I choose to land at NEWARK. All the above was uncalled for if you thought of customer first.

Original review: June 15, 2018

I'm not sure how you are able to help... But I've posted a comment on 12 Jun on your Facebook page on the ordeal Cathay Pacific had put my family and me thru... We are supposed to fly back to Singapore from Thailand, CX717... Below is the full comment, "First of all before I start my 'wonderful' experience with Cathay Pacific, I would like to apologise for my long story re-enactment to all viewers. But my experience and situations encountered with Cathay Pacific on 11 Jun 18 at Suvarnabhumi Airport is really unforgiving. And I don't expect this kind of service standard from Cathay Pacific. I've been an only Cathay Pacific flyer since I'm able to bring my family for trips, but after today No thanks (I've just reached Singapore travelling on SQ from Bangkok, and I've been in the airport since 10 am!).

Timeline of events: (3 adults, 3 elderly and 3 kids aged 6, 8 & 9) 1000 - reach Bangkok airport. 1025 - found the row and check in our luggages. Realised our flight delayed to 1215. I specifically asked the staff what time do I need to be at the gate? The staff said 10 mins before 1215. Since we're still early, I brought my family to go have a quick bite. 1125 - we proceed to clear customs. Wow! What a shock, long queue to clear security and after which stuck at immigration channel because the automated machine system is down. I queued in the priority queue, (which is no difference as it's as slow) witnessing 5 people trying the automated system and all 5 people failed and got stucked in between the gantry! Plus priority queue for people like elderly or with children etc but I was standing behind at least 4 individual adults in priority queue and the customs officer totally ignore the situation and just walked past.

*I know your response to this will be, "Sorry. It's not Cathay Pacific's issue on the system." But it's still alright as I'm still within the '10 minutes before 1215' time frame. 1155 - finally cleared both. Drag my kids and parents to dash to Gate E, which the staff told me it's near. Sorry, it's not! It is at least 500m from the point I cleared customs counter to the gate. Walking full speed 'cause I can't run due to my torn ACL, with my 3 children and my elderly parents (2 of which have heart problem). 1205 - reached the boarding gate, and I'm told, "Sorry sir, you've missed your flight, we've tried to contact you and waited till the last minute for you but sorry."

HELLO!! Don't tell me you have tried your best to wait for me when I don't hear any announcement for last call or any effort to look for 9 persons missing from your flight when I'VE ALREADY CHECKED IN?!? And I’m very sure I don't see anyone holding any board stating last call for our boarding or any announcement. But I could see other last calls while in the queue! What kind of standard is this??? 1209 - All 9 of us have been handed over to a Thai Airway staff to usher us out of immigration! I booked with Cathay Pacific NOT Thai Airway! When I asked what about my luggage? The response, 'Oh, we've offloaded it already, you can collect back from outside the immigration. What a whole load of **! Here you are telling me I've missed my flight 'cause I'm late and there you are saying my luggage is offloaded at 1209. So are you telling me you've predicted me missing the flight?

I'm very perturbed when you are so EFFICIENT in offloading my CHECKED IN luggages but not so EFFICIENT in searching for your 9 missing passengers?? (I've checked in 8 luggages!) 1230 - led out to the Cathay Pacific service counter by the Thai Airway staff, 'anything, you can talk to the Cathay Pacific personnel, not me, can 2 person follow me to collect your luggages? Only 2?!? I've 8 luggages. Who to send? The 3 elderly? My 3 kids? Or the 2 ladies?? While needing to settle my next flight back???? Nevermind. Reached the counter, the only help I gotten from your staff was, "sorry, you missed your flight, next flight is tomorrow morning. Same time but per person is 7620 baht. I think you go see other airline which is cheaper." WTH?!?! You are not helping at all!!!

And it's not my fault, when I followed your 10 mins before 1215 reach the gate, if you decide to close earlier or not bothered to look for your missing 9 passengers. but shouldn't your top 10 ranked airline offer more help?? Where's the STANDARD??? Utter disappointment!! I've to search for another flight back myself ($1750) while taking care of 3 kids and 3 elderly and together we were left stranded and spent 11 HOURS at the airport just because of THIS! I've NEVER missed any flights before as we are very time sensitive as Singaporeans! *We're even aware that at 1100 hrs Thai timing, there's this suspicious parcel outside immigration at Gate 5 that cause a bit of a hooha. And there you are telling me I'm late for my flight and rejected my whole family of 9 pax!

After the whole episode, my whole family of 9 pax only managed to reach home at 1.30am!! *Really kudos to your Service Counter staffs at Cathay Pacific Suvarnabhumi Airport for TOTALLY ignoring our questions and our requests for help. "Service standard TOP NOTCH! WELL DONE!!" After posting this comment, one of your personnel contacted me and we took it offline thru Facebook messenger. He told me an investigation will be conducted and I concurred.

But on 14 Jun, one of your customer relations officer replied me thru email to apologise and state all kinds or REASONS/EXPLANATIONS/EXCUSES all seems to come straight from a template telling me they have done what they could. I'm not convinced a top airline like yours would brush me off just like this.

I'm searching for answers and I want proofs, be it in terms of timing of events your people said that they were looking for us, a group of 9 pax and couldn't find us?!? How is it possible?!? I felt very aggrieved that Cathay Pacific provides this standards. I chose to fly Cathay instead of SQ or any budget airlines 'cause I trusted Cathay. But in the end, it's SQ who helped my family and me back to Singapore!

Original review: June 9, 2018

I was on CX 162 from Sydney to Hong Kong on 31 May and the flight was delayed by 10.5 hours, no attempt was made by Cathay to rebook or reroute. They just sent a msg, "You are on the delayed flight." I rang their call centre and they told me there was no possibility of any other earlier flight. I lost a night of a planned stopover in HK. Response of Cathay, "Oh we will send you some vouchers." Zero for customer treatment. Zero for customer relations.

Original review: May 14, 2018

I booked a ticket for my unaccompanied 19 year old daughter from Bangalore, India to Chicago via Hong Kong (HKG). At the last minute Cathay delayed the Bangalore - HKG flight. As a result her HKG - Chicago flight had to be re-routed. On account of the delay her connection at HKG required a wait of over 12 hours. She was provided no meals or assistance on any sort at the airport. The airline routed her from HKG to Los Angeles and from there to Chicago. The transit time at LA was just 2.5 hours. This was clearly too short considering she would need to clear immigrations, collect her bags, transit to another terminal, clear all check-in procedures. But they did not offer us any other option. Cathay promised assistance at LA with immigration, baggage and other procedures to ensure she made her connection. As expected immigration itself took over 90 minutes.

And shockingly she got absolutely NO assistance. From India, we called Cathay at Hong Kong and we were assured that their staff would meet her at baggage claim and guide her. Still NOBODY showed up. She was too late to catch her connection. She had to lug her own bags and find a Cathay counter and get her LA - Chicago ticket re-issued. She had to wait over 4 hours for the flight. At the end of the journey, what was a planned 22 hour journey had become a 48 hour nightmare. What compounds the hassle was that shockingly Cathay did not have a phone line that works during non-working hours in India. We had to call Hong Kong for clarifications and resolutions. After the ordeal I escalated the issues and complained to Cathay. After two months of investigation, they admitted their lapses. And offered a compensation of $300 (USD).

We filled in the forms with our bank details and sent it to them. They had promised that the compensation would be paid within 4 weeks. It is now over 10 weeks and Cathay had not paid the compensation or even contacted us to let us know what was happening. This airline is the absolute pits as far as reliability if considered. I was also able to find that this failure to provide requested airport assistance happens often with this airline. And they promise compensation and JUST DO NOT pay. They simply con you. I am exploring legal action against them since I have written admission to their lapses.

Original review: May 8, 2018

Departed Saigon late but travel in Asia this can be expected usually due to ATC clearance. (We had a connecting flight in Hong Kong to Beijing which was obviously missed.) In flight - attendants rude, would turn their backs to you while you are speaking, unable to determine what foods they had without opening every one - this is just bad training. We had had 2 bad segments en route to Vietnam, so we were not exactly too happy with Cathay Pathetic when we started the flight back. Upon landing in Hong Kong, the Transfer desk had hundreds of people in line - no CP personnel at the Jetway or in line to assist. Bad Training!

While we were walking towards Transfer, I passed 2 of the attendants from our flight. As much as I should not have, I told the girl, "bad flight, bad service" and on top of everything else, we would miss our connection. I was just venting. The guy walking with her replied to me, "Like we care", with her following with,"You are a piece of **". Not believing what I just heard, I looked at her nameplate, which she covered with her hand and told me, "it does not matter what my name is - you can do nothing about it." Suit will be filed. No matter what I said to her, as a customer facing agent, her job was to diffuse, not to fuel.

Original review: April 22, 2018

This is the worst case of food poisoning I had ever had! I had to take a last minute flight on Cathay Pacific from Toronto to Hong Kong on April 18 2018 to visit an ill family member. I was going on this trip to help out my family, but instead I fell sick from the food I had gotten on my flight! I had ordered the chicken dinner meal, but after an hour or so, I fell ill from food poisoning. The meal was cold, the bread was rock solid and nothing seemed edible. I took a few bites, but that was a big mistake. I got so dehydrated. I couldn't keep anything down and I felt like I was going to faint. I continued to feel sick on my connecting flight from Hong Kong to Kolkata and didn't dare to eat anything on that flight. On top of everything, no one could help me out! This is the only time I had gotten food poisoning while on a flight, so I'm really worried about this for my return flight on Cathay Pacific. I don't think I will book this airline again!

Original review: March 19, 2018

Ticketing Office at Terminal 1 - So I wanted to prepone my flight and I was directed to ticketing office. Vicky ** was at the counter and without any greeting or any sort of acknowledgment started checking his computer when I told him I want to take an early flight instead. His behavior was rude to say the least but also very derogatory. I had requested for a vegetarian meal in the original flight and thought I could get any vegetarian meal on board as I am not too fussed about it. But he kept saying, "Whatever is available you will have to be ok with it." No concept of customer service or taking feedback positively. To top it all when I said I am going to complain he said I am the one harassing him. What a nice tactic to get back for your own lack of ability.

Original review: March 12, 2018

Disappointed to see that reputed airline like Cathay Pacific disrespecting elderly passengers with wheelchair assistance. Happened to drop into YVR airport yesterday (Mar 11) to send off my mother boarding flight # CX0837. Though her reservation had a special request for elderly assistance she was made to walk all the way from the security checkpoint to the departure gate. Not just her. All the other seniors who had requested for wheelchair service was also made to walk to the departure gate which is totally unacceptable.

Below is a very strong evidence of a video where one of the members from Cathay has bought an elderly person in a golf cart and asking him to go inside security checkpoint without any assistance. When the passenger denied walking by himself due to his sickness the member responds arrogantly that he is too busy to walk him through or get him a wheelchair. After the fierce conversation he still denies getting him help and returns him back to the check-in point. Paranoid with the situation I went to speak to a crew member named Ella and explained her entire scenario of what had happened and she responds stating that they might have had a lot of elderly persons in which case they cannot accompany everyone. Never would choose Cathay again and they should be ashamed of giving such services and treating elders in such manner.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

BROKEN SEAT, VERY POOR SERVICE & CUSTOMER RESOLUTION, NO COMPENSATION - BEWARE. I upgraded my partner's ticket CX100 December 22 - Sydney - Madrid to Premium Economy to ensure she was comfortable and able to recline ensuring there was no impact on her physically from such a long trip. The flight Hong Kong to Madrid saw the chair broken and didn't recline or move at all and the tray table was also broken. This was brought to the attention of the staff who advised there was nothing that could be done and that she would have to sit in a seat for 14+ hours in an upright position, considering there were spare seats available in business class which would have been a logical resolution. The food catered was economy food, not that of premium economy and the response from the Airline was that they didn't cater for the numbers on the flight and as she was upgraded late they didn't have enough notice.

That is acceptable for Sydney - Hong Kong, despite being checked in 3 hours prior, but to not be catered for on the Hong Kong to Madrid travels, having 12 hours from the time of check in to leaving Hong Kong is very poor. It makes me question Cathay Pacific's safety procedures given the plane was approved with no defects and safe for flight by their staff, and no one was aware that one of the seats on the plane was totally nonoperational and broken. What other potential safety issues are there? Communication has been sent to Cathay Pacific who offered $100 US as compensation. This is not only insulting, it is far from satisfactory.

To date there is yet to be a response from Cathay Pacific to resolve the matter, some month after the initial communication was sent to Cathay Pacific. This level of customer service is appalling and given Cathay Pacific wrote in the response to the initial complaint "We endeavour to ensure that our passengers enjoy a relaxed and comfortable journey when they travel with us. To this end, periodic maintenance checks are carried out to ensure that in-flight equipment functions smoothly. I am sorry to learn of the difficulties you faced with your seat on board". Periodic maintenance check? Seriously, I hope that they perform more than periodic maintenance checks on the important equipment within the plane. Cathay Reference: **.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

I was travelling with CX199 on 09/12/2017, from HKG-AKL, the experience has etched blotted memory wherein I was provided “differential” treatment in company of “preferential“ treatment to others. I have a very strong case against you as in witness of my other fellow passengers, it was evident that I was made to wait for more than an hour for “one and I repeat myself one glass of water” that I wanted to take my medicines although the seatbelt sign was switched off and asking the crew repeatedly. First the crew Joane, who was a male crew member promised that he would give me water after takeoff, when after takeoff no one came for a very long time after seatbelt sign was switched , I pressed the call bell, to remind the crew, which when the same attendant, he came and advised me that he will give me, I assumed he will give me now.

Again it was good 30 minutes and no one care to give water, after which the I saw him rolling with the cart for service in the E/Y on the port side. This time I again asked him for water, and he told me that he will give me later and just pushed the cart and walked away. The water was at last offered to me by the lady conducting service on the starboard side and I brought the experience to her notice then and there itself. But there was no apology or service recovery. I paid almost $500 USD for one trip, but it was too difficult for your staff to give me fair and just treatment. On top of that the ground staff supervisor at the transit desk area was too rude while issuing me boarding pass.

I had asked in a very subtle manner that why is my checked in bag from DEL-HKG too difficult for CX to transfer to AKL, that too not to her but other staff, however she meddled in the conversation and spoke in an intimidating and angry tone, which when I realised her that she need not educate me as to how the aviation works as I have a very good experience with aviation industry of more than 10 years. My fellow passengers saw me taking medicines as soon as I was offered water. What if due to the negligence of your crew behaviour I had experience disastrous health complications. The icing on the cake was NO SERVICE RECOVERY and NO APOLOGY from any members of the crew.

If this is how the 5th best airline of the world operate then I guess we are at very safe hands 40,000 feet above. I shall share my experience in Twitter too for the world to know how Cathay Pacific treat their guests. I do not remember my seat number which was in Economy Section, however with my full name as I have mentioned below it shouldn’t be too difficult for you to take out my detail. I can be reached at **.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

I booked a flight to Asia through Priceline. I have spent so far 3 hours trying to reach customer service via phone. I started putting it on speaker phone at my office at various times of day and no answer. Terrible customer service and the info I need is not available online. No possibility to contact a real person and no email communication. Next time I will take Emirates.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

I had purchased 2 tickets from CEB to HKG for myself and my Fiance Flying out on a Friday Evening. While I alone flew into CEB via a AA booked flight, AA could not book me out of CEB, I paid around 490 USD for 2 one way tickets to HKG in COACH. Well Fiancee was flagged at Customs that she could not travel until she attended a mandatory class according to Philippines Government. We had processed thru customs about 2 hours prior to our flight time. Immediately I requested a re booking. "NO THAT COULD NOT BE DONE" according to Cathay Pacific, BUT they could cancel my flight no problem.

So they cancelled the flight, insult to irony, that flight was delayed a hour and 50 minutes before departure, which would have put us into HKG so late no other transportation options existed save for a VERY VERY EXPENSIVE TAXI FARE to our hotel. I'm not sure we could have even kept our reservation arriving that late had we been able to take that flight. SO AFTER WE WAITED THRU THE HOLIDAY WEEKEND and after even more stress completed our required customs class, we booked our flight.

IT COST US EACH 150 USD for CANCELLATION PLUS 68 USD for a total of an additional 436 USD in addition to the original 490 USD paid for a COACH FLIGHT OF 2500 Miles, THATS 926 USD for a Coach Flight. I have complained and attempted to get both a refund and the AsiaAir Miles their own site says Im eligible to get, despite being told by Customer Service my ticket class was ineligible to get air miles. Never mind their own website was a joke, it worked about 10% of the time and then only partially.

Handicapped services were hit or miss. I did get a wheel chair coming into CEB but going out, HKG nothing. I have difficulty racing from one end of a terminal to the other and walking long distances. Pain and cramping spasm is not a good thing to deal from hiking so far in a terminal with when facing a 16+ hour flight from HKG to USA, All I have received from Cathay customer service is professional apologies but NO ACTIONS OR REFUNDS, Not even my earned AirMiles they say im not eligible for. CRIMINALS are what they are. Do not trust them to have ANY INTEGRITY in their actions. DOCUMENT AND PRINT AND SCREEN SAVE EVERYTHING. They will deny you what they published to give you. WIRE FRAUD is what that is, even when furnished with a screen shot of their own site page and highlighting the actual tickets codes ( eligible for Miles ) they still deny air miles and REFUNDS

Original review: June 29, 2017

I am a diamond mender of CX and I will not going to review because I am fed up with this shifty airline. The hit rate of delay is almost 100%. I travel between Milan and HK and the flight CX 233 is famous of being delay for any reasons you can imagine. The customer service staff helps nothing - I will suggest people try to avoid CX if you have other choice.

Original review: June 19, 2017

I was flying last Tuesday (the 13th of June) from HK to Chicago. A 14-hour flight when I encountered a 6-month-old Indiana baby crying screaming and then having a drummer toy play all 12 hours NON STOP! His mother help him and seemed to not care - MAYBE SHE HAD EAR PLUGS IN as well as I did but this kid just never stopped. But 2 hours off and on and had his toy drummer thing batteries not wore down he would have done it all 14 hours. My question is WHY ON EARTH DIDN'T THEY PUT THIS BRAT AT THE END AND GIVE US NORMAL PEOPLE A BREAK - I mean I would have taken even a WATER BOARD OVER THIS KID! Wow it took me almost a week to get over this out of my system! I have flown many times but this has to be the worse I have had in my life and if this is the norm for Cathay Pacific - I will walk back from HK somehow!

Original review: June 15, 2017

On the 12 June 2017 at around 14:50 we purchased 2 tickets under reference **. Before purchasing the tickets we checked that there are business class tickets available to upgrade, therefore purchased more expensive tickets in order to upgrade. But when we tried to do the upgrade on memberships ** & ** we were unable to do it. After much frustration, we sent an email requesting assistance with the upgrade.

Reply was received as follows: "Please reach out to our Asia Miles Team at a toll-free number 0800 99 0647 to confirm the upgrade." I then phoned Asia Miles to do the upgrade telephonically only to be told that we can no longer have business class upgrade, as tickets are no longer available. We have waited for a very long time to be able to upgrade and we were unable to do the upgrade straight away due to no fault of ours. Now we are stuck with the very expensive tickets and without the upgrade. We then requested a full refund (on the morning of the 13 June which was not even 24 hours from purchasing the tickets) and we are now told that we must pay cancellation fee.

We did not do anything wrong and Asia Miles system mislead us to believe that we will be able to upgrade and we therefore do not accept that we must pay a cancellation fee. Please can we have a full refund back so we can purchase tickets through another airline. The whole experience has been a time consuming & unpleasant all around. We have used Cathay Pacific on many occasions and never had such a terrible experience. SHOCKING...

Original review: April 23, 2017

"Cathay Pacific sold air tickets that they said would be honored but they never did honor them. Cathay Pacific is the worst and most dishonest airline around. They will lie to you to get a sale and customer care will not do anything to help you. Just end up going round and round". We ended up buying a new ticketing from another airline, cause Cathay Dragon just simply canceled the ticket in advance and there is no way to take the next available flight, cause in holiday season the ticket was sold out to others and no refund. The customer service is the worst. We'll never take Cathay Pacific and Cathay Dragon again. Paid $600 more.

Original review: April 8, 2017

April 3rd 2017, I was in Los Angeles Airport and a Cathay Pilot made inappropriate gestures and could not stop staring at me inappropriately. It was as frightening as a serial killer. I happened to overhear his name "Paolo" and hope he never represents any airlines as a person like that takes advantage of their position and claims power.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2017

Cathay Pacific sold air tickets that they said would be honoured but they never did honour them. Cathay Pacific is the worst and most dishonest airline around. They will lie to you to get a sale and customer care will not do anything to help you. Just end up going round and round. I lost about 8 London the Manila returns and they just did nothing. All too easy to lie to make a sale. Customer care all but laughed and never even tried to sort it out.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2017

For the last 17 years, I have traveled for leisure to various destinations in India, US, Japan and Singapore. I have taken various airways including domestic ones including Singapore, United, US Airways, Emirates etc. My experience with Cathay Pacific for the return flight (KA169 on Feb 23, 2017 Kolkata to Hong Kong and onwards to San Francisco) from India was best described as horrendous. Please indulge me for few minutes and I will explain why. All these 17 years I have carried my laptop bag and a carry-on bag/suitcase. There are weight limits on carry-on baggage of 15 lb which could be a suitcase or a duffel bag of certain size as per airlines specifications.

If you see the ticket for the baggage specifications, this information is provided by Cathay Pacific airlines clearly. The ticket does not say that the combined weight of laptop bag and carry-on baggage should not exceed 15 lbs. This does not mean I stuffed my laptop bag with overweight sweetmeats and other heavy items. What I had in my bag is laptop (Mac), laptop charger, earphones, some travel documents and a book (pictures included). These are standard items I carry on every flight I take nothing extraordinary.

I was never asked to weigh my laptop and the check-in bag together in my 17 years of flying. This time it was different with Cathay Pacific flight from Kolkata to Hong Kong. The staff of Cathay Pacific consider themselves nothing less than a gazette government official at the check in. They asked me to put the laptop bag and the carry-on together on the scale and obviously, it weighed more than the 15 lbs carry-on limit. So, I complained to the supervisor, who said he would not issue the boarding pass if I did not reduce the weight or pay the overage. I refused to budge so he made me wait till all the passengers were checked in. He said he can help me only if I would help him (You might not understand how I could help him). I wanted them to go on record so I pulled up my phone camera and started recording and the supervisor did not like the idea of my filming the entire episode.

When push comes to shove, you must swallow the bitter pill. Since I had to join the job I decided to take the flight. The supervisor made me take out the book and other items, put the items in the check-in and made me pay for 2 kg overage charges for $100. I felt I was cheated even though I could easily afford the amount. I wish that I could weigh 2 kgs more and probably Cathay Pacific would not charge me this extra amount but still waste fuel carrying my weight from Kolkata to Hong Kong. If Cathay Pacific is looking at this article and wants to improve on their customer service and loyalty, then it should take appropriate steps to either have a coherent policy of baggage specially if you are traveling to and fro. If not charge $50 extra per ticket and not complain about the overage of the laptop bag. I am totally fine with that. What is unacceptable that Cathay Pacific insult the passenger just because of extra book and charger he/she is carrying.

Consider that I am a rogue passenger and complaining but how about the lady on the same flight who has 1 year baby and she was also complaining about Cathay being inconsiderate for her request. For sure, Cathay Pacific has lost me as a customer, I would rather fly by other airlines who treat the customers with some respect and not as herd of sheep. I am so disappointed with the attitude of Cathay Pacific officials in Kolkata, shame on you guys.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2017

Before boarding the aircraft CX 288 flight Frankfurt to Hong Kong, 12 FEB 2017, I was queuing in the lane for Premium Economy Class and Marco Polo Green tier members. When I was boarding, a German Lady, oval glasses, middle age, who was in charge for the boarding announcement, told her her colleague: "This guy is not looking as if he could afford a Premium Economy ticket, I guess!" I consider this statement as severe discrimination against me since I was dressed in a proper way. Cathay Pacific should be ashamed to have a ground crew in Germany who is treating customers in such a rude way!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2017

On January 11, my wife and flew from Vancouver to Hong Kong on flight CX 889 and were supposed to connect to a Dragon Air flight CX 5061 departing at 0805 on January 12th. The CX 889 flight should have landed at 0700 but the pilot announced we would be landing late. I then requested flight crew to notify Dragon Air because the schedule was very tight but both of the crew I asked said there would be no problem. We got off the plane at 0720, 5 minutes before the boarding time and the Dragon Air departure gate, 501, was in the satellite concourse on the other side of the airport. At least 15 minutes away. I had booked a wheelchair and was directed to the exit where ground crew were supposed provide the wheelchair and get to my wife and I to the boarding gate. This area was in absolute chaos!!!

There were 2 Cathay ground personnel there and 4 or 5 wheelchair attendants who were contractors from a company called Worldwide Flight Services. The 2 Cathay ground crew seemed to have no control over who was doing what. Of course we told both of these people our concern about the time and asked if they had alerted the boarding gate. The female ground crew member said yes. These 2 ground crew were yelling at the attendants who seemed to ignore them. 3 times I was told to get into a wheelchair and 3 times I was told to wait. Finally I was loaded into a wheelchair along with 3 other Canadians 2 of whom required wheelchairs. The ground crew seemed to be completely indifferent to the shortage of time and we wasted about 20 minutes here. We arrived at gate 501 before 8 but the gate was closed and they would not let us on the plane, THE PLANE LEFT AT 0810.

The Dragon Air man who appeared to be in charge (Mike) told us he had tried to contact the Cathay ground crew several times but either no one answered or they hung up. About 1 hour later some Cathay personnel showed up at the gate and then all 5 of us were wheeled down to the arrivals area to try to get an alternative flight. At about 1045 we got our new flight on Brunei Air to Bandar Seri Begawan and then on to BKI. We were given about 2 hours in the Cathay lounge and eventually arrived in BKI around 8 PM 9 hours late and exhausted. Summary. This whole mess was caused by failure on the part of the Cathay air and ground crew. Here are my specific concerns:

1. Inept and indifferent Cathay ground staff.
2. Failure of the flight crew to communicate Dragon Air gate crew.
3. Failure of the Cathay ground crew to communicate with the dragon Air gate crew.
4. Completely inadequate wheelchair facilities.

5. No offer to compensate the 5 of us for our misery. 2 hours in the lounge doesn't cut it.

I look forward to a response from Cathay Senior Management.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2017

I have travelled from Indianapolis to Chennai on 5th Dec 2016. Initially there was a delay in Indianapolis flight departure and 1:15 mins delay in Chicago to Hong Kong. Due to this delay to reach in Hongkong I could not get the connection flight to Chennai. I was arranged for a flight to Chennai with one transit as Singapore location. I was informed that I need to collect the baggage in Singapore and I need to redo my baggage check-in since the carrier flights differs from Cathay Pacific.

When I reach Singapore I have checked my baggage, the baggage information service took 15 mins to get the update and I was informed that my baggage was missing in Hong Kong itself and I need to collect my baggage in Chennai. Due to the baggage inquiry I could not onboard to Chennai flight. I have approached to the Cathay Pacific service desk for my baggage query and the subsequent flight missing incident.

The service desk people told that my baggage is sent to Chennai with the flight which I have missed to onboard. Within 10 mins they told that the baggage is missing in Hong Kong and after 10 mins they told that the baggage is received in Singapore and will be onboard the baggage along with me in the JET Airlines(rescheduled travel).

After reached Chennai after 13 hrs delay, I came to know that the baggage is missing in Hong Kong itself. I got frustrated due to the information that they have provided me on frequently changed information on my baggage and also I was tired of travelling more than 36 hrs with layover time. I made register an compliant at JET Airways about my missing baggage. Till now I wasn't provide the information in either email or mobile or any other communication about the status of my baggage.

I really don't know who did the mistakes and where is baggage now. I have faced problems because of mishandling baggage in transit and moreover I wasn't provide correct information for my baggage status. Very very very worst Cathay Pacific customer service desk, whenever I tried to reach them there will be at least 15 min waiting time even I have tried as a first caller to the help desk. Even though I have connected to them they didn't update me the status, instead they rerouted me to other channel which is not a valid one. I have lost my hope for the baggage status. Is it happening because I have travelled with "Economic Class"?

Original review: Jan. 6, 2017

I have been a long time Marco Polo member and used to be enjoying flying with Cathay Pacific. However, the quality of service and their crew had been disappointed me from time to time in last couple years. I would say Cathay Pacific is charging consumer premium price but offer a low quality service, particularly for those Marco Polo members. I was in the top tier for a few years and did not find any values at all from what Cathay offered. My recent experience with Cathay Pacific was I spend most of my time now in Taiwan. Getting service and help from their SME TPE team is extremely bad and frustrated. Since about a year ago, they switch the service for small business account via email. Great, never ever get back to you on time!! Recently I have inquired some of my upcoming trip to SFO or YVR with a few of options in my mind.

After a couple days, what I received was an extremely useless and meaningless response as following: "Hi Christopher, Would please check availability & fare of all your possible options through our website: www.cathaypacific.com. You may advise us date/flight which you need to book after making decision." Wow, what a useful response from so-called professional team to handle consumer. What make me feel confused and uncomfortable is that in the response email from the SME team, there is a slogan "SME Corp Team is always devoted to offer satisfactory and impeccable service. We cherish each chance we can serve you and thankful to you for the faithful support." Is your team really mean it or it is simply trying to say something nice? I just found that extremely ironic. I don't need to wait for two days to get such BS response.

If I could do that via the website, what is the core values of such SME team to consumers/members? Should this team be dissolved and finding real task to work on? On the 3rd day, I had received a call from their office trying to explain the situation. To me, those are quite nonsense. The lady explained to me that they had quite a bit of emails to handle last few days. Well, that is not my problem and that should be the concern being raised to their management. She also explained to me that the date I inquired has no availability. Well, does the response actually inform me on that? NO, NO, NO. From what I am seeing is that the staff don't even bother to work with the case.

Now, the lady is trying to sell me something for small business account and try to get them get everything from the portal offered for small business account. In other words, what they are saying is "you guys should deal with that yourself, good luck". Nice try, Cathay Pacific. Good luck in keeping your long time members around. BTW, there should be an option of giving out NO STAR in customer service and value. I am being forced to give them one star, which is way far from how bad it could be.

Cathay Pacific Airlines Company Information