3.44/5

Looking for a travel site?

Cathay Pacific Airlines

Looking for a travel site?

Cathay Pacific Airlines Reviews

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

I flew from Shanghai to Barcelona via HK. The 1st flight was delayed so I barely made it to the 2nd. However, my suitcase didn't. In Barcelona, they told me I need to wait 2 more days for my baggage. The luggage was supposed to be delivered at 1.30 PM, then in the evening, then the next (3rd) day morning. It seems I am never going to get my suitcase back. I tried calling the airlines, but no one pick ups the phone EVER! They also don't respond to emails. I tried the website but it is just looping and it is impossible to get in touch them unless they call you to tell you that you need to wait even longer. Worst experience ever.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2019

I am very disappointed to choose this airline to my long waited trip to Toronto. I flew 27 hours from my country, and they missed my baggage, it’d been 3 days now I’m surviving without my baggage in a country far from home. Can I give you zero star? And what do you mean you cannot update my missing baggage status?

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

Cathay Pacific used to be a great airline, years ago I was a loyal customer. Things have changed, they prize themselves on great customer service which justifies costs higher than their competition. However in recent years, they have outsourced their customer service to call centres that get bogged down by roundabout policies that make it impossible to get things done. Their responses are all very robotic, scripted and designed to suck more money out of you with hidden fees. They treat you with the same low level of customer service regardless of whether you are a loyalty cardholder or not. Their aircrafts are becoming dated and their food is now on par with cheaper airlines. Go for a cheaper airline, you'll pay less for the same thing, and with lower expectations, you can at least expect a certain level of mistreatment.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2019

Cathay Pacific is not a good airline anymore. I have traveled few times in past 2 years and experience is not good at all. They do not have anything to offer if passenger is hungry (apart from meal) like fruits, juice, soup etc. The value for money is not fair. I originally booked my flight which was of 22 hours duration including waiting time at transition airport but I ended up with more than 33 hours of travel time with 2 transitions which is so stressful. On top of this there is no one to help on customer care on Sunday. What if someone is in urgent need? Who is responsible for that? I will not recommend travelling from this airlines and will not be taking any Cathay Pacific flights in future.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

This is first time to have a flight with Cathay Pacific and will be the last time as well. Due to the protest stuffs going on in Hong Kong, we were worried that it might affect our honeymoon trip. I called the customer service line to cancel my flight. The first call was made at 1:37pm on 8/12/2019 Pacific time. A guy picked up the phone call, I asked him if he can cancel my flight for me? He told me that I called the wrong number. I double check before I called, that was the number I got from Cathay Pacific website. Then he hang up my phone call. I called again, that was a lady. I ask the lady if that was Cathay Pacific airline, she said yes. I told her what was going on and would like to speak to a supervisor regarding how I was treated by the first guy who pick up the call. She hang up my phone call!

I called again, get a hold with another guy. I told him I need to cancel my flight due to the protesting in Hong Kong. He told me that we need to pay for the penalty fee which was $300 per person. I said this not because of we wanted to canceled, it's because the Hong Kong airport is closed!! He told me if I don't want to pay for the penalty, I can call on the day of the traveling. Then I said, "Fine, I call on that day. By the way, can I please speak to a supervisor?" I told him what was going on for the first couple times I called. I got treated like **, he hang up my phone call, again. Cathay Pacific is one of the biggest airline in Asia, but I don't know how you guys can survived in the market? You have the worse customer service, ever!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cathay Pacific Airlines?

Original review: July 6, 2019

Airline desk person was very rude in body language and talking. As far as I know these people are there to help you but not with Cathay Pacific. A miscommunication issue which could have been resolved in 5 min did not resolve at all and left me waiting on the airport for 15 hours. I won't be using Cathay Pacific again. Very bad experience. :(

Original review: June 19, 2019

Cathay has departed from his upscale policies and now is more a budget airline than anything else. I hold a Diamond tier and have over 800k miles, but what is the point of having miles when you cannot get a confirmation for a flight a month and a half ahead of its intended booking! Now Cathay tells me I need to be on a waitlist, meaning IF they don't sell the flight a week prior to your departure then you can flight. Loyalty programs are mostly used when you want to book a holiday with the family and how are you supposed to book hotels and plan if you cannot confirm your flights! Ridiculous.

Original review: June 11, 2019

Have you seen the "Go Beyond" Cathay Pacific advertising campaign? Well it's a total lie, nothing has changed, they are still the most uncaring, thoughtless airline, and they are desperate for money. Passengers and passenger comfort mean nothing, it's all about a "buck"! I travel only in business and first, and have found Cathay to be the most unreliable airline I've ever flown. Over the past 3-4 years almost 70% of the flights I've been booked on left late, sometimes up to 3 or 4 hours late. In many cases as a premium passenger paying top dollar for seats at the front of the aircraft, they didn't even inform me of the delays.

Their regional business class is terrible in the Boeing 777, it's got 3 seats in the centre, just like economy! Totally uncomfortable. Some of their food is inedible, and the champagne they serve is the cheapest garbage they can buy! No value at all! Their cabin crew are totally demoralised and obviously unmotivated, so why should they try. Cathay was once a great carrier, but the current management has absolutely no idea, to think that they think a fancy campaign with nice words will change anything... They are dreaming, and I suggest they fly other Asian carriers themselves to see why they don't compete.

In the last day I've booked a series of flights and already have run into trouble with their appalling customer service. Nothing has changed since this new promotion Go Beyond has started, in fact their staff are acting a completely the opposite to what their CEO promises in the letter he sent to all Cathay's Marco Polo Members. Is he lying? Well I don't know, but the reality is they are a substandard airline, desperately seeking way to get more money. They are losing money right now and no wonder. They would be better off making sure they live up to their advertising promises of better service, thoughtfulness, and caring etc, than spending money trying to fool the travelling public. Don't waste money with Cathay, they don't deserve loyalty!

Original review: June 1, 2019

Cathay Pacific is the worst. I paid almost 2000$ for a round trip from Chicago to Hyderabad. The flight was delayed in Chicago for 30 Mins and in Hong Kong as well due to some issue flight was delayed by 40 Mins. Once we were landed in Hong Kong we were told that Hyderabad flight took off 15 mins before the scheduled time and we have to wait for 24 hours to board the next flight. I had a visa interview and I explained my situation to them and they told that they can't do anything. They took our passports to get a transit visa. After 1 hour they came back and said that my visa is rejected and I had to wait in Lounge. They gave a suggestion of going till Chennai and from there I can take Hyderabad flight and claim the amount. When enquired about the luggage, we were told that Cathay Pacific crew in Chennai will help us. So we (nearly 6 other passengers) took the flight and we even took the email as well.

Once we landed in the Chennai airport, we got to know that Cathay Pacific Crew will be available at night time and nobody is there to help us. We tried to reach Cathay Pacific Customer Service number and it was busy all the time. Each of the passengers paid nearly Rs 30000 for additional baggage from Chennai to Hyderabad. When I tried to reach out to Customer care they are saying that the problem is due to air traffic controllers, we can't do anything in this situation.

Original review: May 9, 2019

According to the Cathay Pacific 24 hour cancellation policy, "You can cancel the reservations within 24 hours and get back the full refund with our refund process." And can make the booking within the 7 days or earlier before departure via the internet. We book a returned ticket to HK and needed to change booking because of the Asia miles point issue. Booking was cancelled and rebooked within 12 hours, and we later found out Cathay had deducted $300 something dollars from our refund for fees.

When we called the customer service they said: "the policy is only for US, there is nothing we can do for you" and there is no one we can talk to regarding this. I hope more people will see this and be careful before cancelling ticket, and I will keep trying on different channel until we get a fair response from Cathay since they have been ignoring us.

Cathay Pacific Airlines Company Information