2.24/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

530 Best Western Hotels Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

This Hotel literally stole $300 from us, we used Air Miles to book our accommodations and had a terrible checkout and when we got home we found there to be over $500 charged to our card from the Best Western Plus in Okotoks Alberta. The manager was rude and would not respond for the most part. There is another review of basically the same thing happening with another unlucky patron who stayed here on TripAdvisor, this Hotel should be held responsible!!! They stole our money and I will never ever stay in a Best Western again and I am doing my very best to tell everyone I know.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

The bed was comfy and the hotel was quiet and clean. Staff are very polite and accommodating. Location is perfect - close to everything. They allow animal companions. We left our dogs at home but a dog-friendly hotel is a plus. The location is safe, also.

Get expert buying tips about Hotel Brands delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

I didn't want to stay at BW but had no choice as all the other motels were booked. Walking in the room I saw bugs crawling up the walls, in the tub, on the floors. The floors were sticky so I took the towels and lined them to the bed so I could walk without my socks sticking. I started collecting the bugs in the plastic cups. I didn't take a shower as I couldn't wash all the bugs away. Since it was so late and I noticed the lobby clerk sitting outside smoking and I was very tired, I tried to sleep. Couldn't sleep with the thoughts of bugs all around. The small refrigerator kept making growling noises. It was horrible. The AM breakfast? was unattended except for the cowboy who drove in from the road, plated up, ate and left. There's no one around at the desk or anywhere. I'd rather sleep in my car than at another Best Western.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

The worst experience ever. I've booked a couple rooms at the Best Western in Deerfield Beach, FL and for the most part it has been okay. The guy who works at the front desk (Hector) is who ruined my experience. They offered me a free night based on my rewards points that I have accumulated over time. So I call trying to actually take advantage of my points, he's telling me I don't have points or a reservation in which I do and then quickly transfers me to customer service. Customer service then tries to get in contact with Hector at the hotel but no answer. Between the rep and I, we must've called 26 times but no answer.

So I head over to the hotel and Hector is nowhere to be found. I had to scream for assistance and then he appears. As I'm explaining the situation he just stands there with a smirk on his face and continuously tells me that I have to place another reservation and put more money down when everything was in place already. As I'm explaining the situation again he tells me that I have to talk to the manager who comes in at 7am and that I have to leave because I'm trespassing when I literally just checked out the same day. Hector is very unprofessional and does not need to be in customer service at all. Because of him, I will NEVER recommend a Best Western Hotel to anyone. EVER.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

Two months ago I stayed at the Best Western Hotel in Beaufort, SC. My wife and I had a wonderful stay at this hotel, but I forgot to write a review of the hotel so I am correcting that today. I called to make my reservation a few weeks prior to my stay. The person taking my call was extremely helpful and efficient. He informed me that the hotel had been recently renovated, and that I would love my stay. He mentioned some of the events that were occurring in Beaufort that week, and I was appreciative. He obviously loved his hotel and his town.

The room was very nice and overlooked the Beaufort waterway. The room was larger than most hotel rooms, which was very nice, since we were spending about three nights there. The bed was comfortable. The bathroom was on the smaller size, but the room size made up for this. The room was on the second floor, but there is no elevator. Just an FYI for those not liking stairs.

The breakfast was much better than average. I enjoyed it each day we were in town. Check in and check out were good. They were both quick. The person behind the desk was very friendly and represented the hotel and the town well. The best thing about the hotel was the service. Everyone had great attitudes and were very polite. The hotel is very close to downtown-within walking distance which is very nice. Beaufort is a great town to visit. If you go there, I would certainly recommend this hotel.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Best Western Hotels?

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

Friendly Staff @ check-in. Friendly hotel employees. Will definitely stay again. They need more selections for their breakfast but everything else was good. Exceptional clean rooms!!! Hotel is in a good location.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

I felt the motel was out of date and very dirty. The parking lot was full but it was terrible compared to the others I've stay in recently. I stayed in Tupelo Best Western the night before. Although the room was updated and clean, the staff was literally pushing me out. I felt unappreciated and stressed out.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

The owner/manager of the Best Western Verdun hotel is top class as are his wife and other staff. All are extremely friendly and super helpful. The hotel itself despite being part of an American chain has retained its French charm. Rooms are comfortable and clean. Bed was very comfortable and clean, the bathroom although small was well accessorized and very clean. The breakfast was good but perhaps a little expensive at $14 per person but not unacceptable. Wi-Fi was free and worked well.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

Went online to make reservations. Charged one price then there was another price before we went then they gave us a coupon for $20 that was only good for 2 hrs. We had made reservations already so we did not think that was business like.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

Great place to stay if you have pets. We have 2 dogs and the place was clean and very accommodating. Excellent breakfast to help get you on the road quickly and not to be bothered with going someplace else.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

Fortuitously, I checked with the reservation desk before we arrived. The original arrangements were made thru the 1-800 line, but the printed confirmation was wrong. I called again to straighten it out and even tho the confirmation was corrected, I decided to check with the hotel itself. The reservation there had not been updated to the correction. Straightened it out with the desk clerk over the phone. Everything was in order at check in, but on Day 2, I was locked out of my room because they enforced the original, incorrect reservation. None of it made sense. On the bright side, the woman who ran the breakfast bar was one of the hardest working and most pleasant hotel workers we had ever met. She should be running the registration desk, not relegated to kitchen duty.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I’ve been going to Best Western hotels for years and for the most part every visit has been pretty good. The last few times that I stayed with them was at the Best Western Plus Cary Inn - NC State on Walnut St. The night staff didn’t want to get me more blankets and towels for my kids, the room smelled of mildew, and I requested a mini fridge to put the kids' milk in but I didn’t get it until the next afternoon. SMH. I was utterly surprised about my experience there. Then a week or two later I try logging on to my Best Western account to make another reservation in the future, but I couldn’t log on. Turns out my account was randomly selected and put under review and now it has permanently been deleted with no warning or explanation. I was just told that the account was randomly reviewed and deleted. I will NEVER bring business back to Best Western and it saddens me that they actually just delete accounts for no reason.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I had the pleasure of staying at the Best Western in Waterboro SC a few weeks back. I cannot say enough about the wonderful friendly staff. We arrived late around 10:00 pm the evening of the reservation. Night clerk could not have been nicer. Both rooms were ready and she explained about the breakfast the next morning. Good night sleep on the first floor was a little surprised as I was sure we would hear the traffic. We did not. Then at breakfast we meet the best most efficient friendly hostess for the breakfast room. Her name is Joanne **. This woman made you want breakfast. Could tell she loves people and her job. She even went as far as made me a BW Waffle.

This woman is such a asset to your motel. Probably not paying her enough. Also the front office manager Abram ** was just as friendly and got our bills done quickly and wished us a safe journey. If ever in this area or I have friends traveling here I will highly recommend this place. Thank you all for a good visit. Ms. Dolores **. PS Only complaint I could not get points as I had booked by Booking.Com. Next time I will look into the rate for points.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

We love Best Western and have been rewards members for years. Although it has been a mystery as to how to use our points till now. We called the Piedmont, NC. hotel on Oct. 18th and finally after 4 years we were able to use our points for a very nice room. Nice person at check in and great breakfast. We noticed when we reached our room that across the hall was an electric cord going from one room to another. When leaving the next morning we stepped into hall and the rooms across the hall were being opened up and hot steam came out. I asked the man opening the door if it was for BED bugs and he said yes but that it was regular maintenance preventative. Needless to say when arriving home I undressed in garage and washed everything in my suitcase as well. Very scary. Is this indeed new maintenance procedure? Or should I be concerned that I may have brought home bedbugs?

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

Arrive Friday 12 Oct. 2018 for an ADA room for 2 nights. We were advised the elevator was broken and would not be fixed until the following week, and if we wished we could cancel without charge. They also informed us all motel/hotels in the area were fully booked. I checked 3 or 4 and they were fully booked. I was offered an $18.00 a night discount. ($99 instead of $117 a night). They are an 80 unit motel with 2 ADA rooms. Ours was on the 3rd floor with no elevator. The stairs at one end of the hall (closest to our room) was NOT ADA COMPLIANT, it had carpet for the steps and only had a handrail on one side with rough stone walls, where any slip, trip, or fall could be very painful.

The stairway at the far end of the hall did have handrails on both sides with vinyl stair treads and rough stone walls. The exit we had to use had brick stairs with rough concrete handrails. No ramp was near the exit. While the staff was polite and friendly we will never stay here again. IT IS TOO DANGEROUS FOR MY WIFE WITH A STROKE AND RIGHT SIDE TOTAL DISABILITY.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I very seldom have any issues with Best Western hotels, but I am compelled to report this matter for the sake of the consumers, Best Western and its reputation. Recently 9/7—9/9, my wife and I, stayed two nights at Best Western Plus Colony Inn, 3600 El Camino Real, Atascadero, CA. 93422. On arrival in room number 229, as we were getting settled, we were disturbed and alarmed to find a used condom wrapper in plain sight next to the nightstand. We began to wonder if the rest of the room was clean, which it appeared to be. So, we graciously dismissed it as an apparent oversight of the housekeeping personnel. We immediately took the used condom wrapper to the lobby to report the incident to ** at the front desk who was surprised and offered us another room which we declined, because he specifically gave us that room for its quiet location.

However, the second night of our stay on 9/8, we were very rudely awakened at 2 am. After peering through the peephole in the door, I couldn’t believe my eyes. To my astonishment and surprise there was a group of 8-10 college students sitting in a circle on the floor right in front of my door partying, laughing, talking and carrying on so loudly, with no regard for sleeping guests. I opened the door to express my anger and immediately they left. My wife and I, now upset could not get back to sleep for the next hour or so. If there was a security camera to monitor the hallway, management could have done something about this.

I sent a email complaint on 9/12/18, to the Best Western regional manager Raj ** who actually works for Core Hotels, LLC out of San Francisco, who owns and operates numerous hotel chains. I have not received any acknowledgment. I then sent the same complaint on 9/15/18, to Core Hotels, LLC and still have not received a response. I will never stay in a Best Western or any other hotel operated by Core Hotels, LLC. They obviously do not care about their guests.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Worst example of Best Western Hotels that I have ever seen in my life! The whole hotel is a construction site! This hotel should not even be open to the public. It’s dangerous and very inconvenient. Only one elevator works and the whole parking lot is filled with building materials. Worst hotel experience I have ever had! I would not stay here again if they were giving rooms away free! Makeshift front desk that is a joke! Why would Best Western allow this?

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I called the toll free number to determine how many points I have on my rewards account. I was greeted by a lady (I'm being nice when I call her a lady) named Farris. She asked me several question for security reasons. When I refused to give her my phone number, she stated she would not be able to help me any further. I told her I did not want them to sell my info, so there has to be another way to verify who I am after asking me my full name, e-mail, home address, where was the last place I stayed. Now keep in mind I travel 45 weeks out of the year. So to remember where I stayed last?? Really??? When I asked for a supervisor, I was told she would give me to a supervisor. I told her I would call right back and ask for a supervisor that way or better yet would it be better I called the CEO. She laughed and said hold on... Farris desk partner got on the phone and she gave me what I wanted to hear. I hung up.

I called the CEO office Mr. Kong, I was told he will not talk to customers. (Now how does this guy get paid). I asked Stacy would it be better to call him on his cell number which is **, she stated I can do what I want. I asked if I should post his phone number on the internet for everyone to see, she stated, "You are free to do what you want." She hung up on me. Great customer service. I have decided to cash in my points and will move on to another hotel that wants someone who travels as much as I do.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I have been a BW Platinum customer for 5 years. I travel 21 weeks out of the year mostly for business. I decided to book a personal trip for Labor Day this year. The hotel was 440.00 for two nights. Don’t normally do this but decided to check out Travelocity. Turns out the same hotel was being rented for 240.00. I called BW and told them I could book the same hotel for ½ of the rate. Their response was, "You should have book through them." I feel they have no loyalty to their customers or they would have offered a competitive rate. Why should I pay more just because I am loyal to the BW brand?

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

Best Western Junction, Texas - I used BestWestern.com to book the hotel. After a marathon drive from Southern Colorado I arrived at the hotel - to be informed that they do not honor reservations made over the chain's website... "I should have called them!" How was I to know these country bumpkins don't know how to use the internet? I've elected to cancel my Best Western Gold Card and not use this chain in the future.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

My wife and I were on vacation earlier this year and were trying to find a hotel in the Daytona Beach area. We started the search online and found availability in the closest Best Western Hotel for $66. I put in my credit card and reserved the room for $66 charge. When we arrived at the hotel we found that there was a $33 service charge added to the bill. I was not aware that the reservation was hijacked by CCI HOTEL GUEST RESERVATIONS. I could not find any information regarding this company online. Since I agreed to the charges, my credit card company would not stop payment to this company.

I am wondering if this company is an arm of Best Western just there to increase profits. I wrote a letter to the CEO and president of Best Western and have not heard anything back. I have seen similar complaints regarding this company online. After appearing at the hotel and seeing the $99 charge, I attempted to cancel the reservation but was told I cannot cancel. I always like to stay at Best Westerns because they were a high quality outfit. I think they are far more greedy than any of the others.

Original review: July 26, 2018

My husband & myself along with my brother in law who had his own room stayed at this location (Best Western Plus Huntersville, NC) from 7/21/18 -7/25/18. Only once was our room cleaned the way it should be. No vacuum, No Shampoo or soap. The king size bed was hard in the center and soft /lumpy on both sides, My brother in laws room was the same. The garbage outside by the back door was not emptied once and was overflowing onto the ground with odor. The girl working the evening shift spent her time eating grilled food with her male friends in the breakfast area (the men were drinking). The only good thing was the woman that took care of the breakfast, Theresea. She went above and beyond. Friendly making sure everyone had what they needed and even took our garbage when we were done and a very clean area. She should get a raise!

Original review: July 25, 2018

So we stay here often when we come to visit family! We continue to stay here because the rooms are always clean and service is great!!! Sadly tonight when we complained about our neighbors smoking weed and the bellman even agreed nothing can be done about it!!! Seriously! It’s against the law!!! Very disappointed!

Original review: July 21, 2018

I made a reservation through Priceline and paid in full prior to arriving. The lady named Taylor at the front desk in the Homewood, Alabama location, of State Farm Parkway would not let me check in with the passbook ID I have on my phone, which is state verified, nor would she let me give her a paper copy they sent me online when I originally ordered it. This was the last $100 dollars I had to my name. She then refused to give me a refund for the night's room I already paid for. It was extremely hot outside and I waited in the lobby trying to figure out what to do while she continued to press me as to what I was going to do. I'll never stay with or recommend this hotel to anyone. I am disgusted with such horrible service.

Original review: July 20, 2018

DONT STAY HERE! (Pontoon Beach Illinois) Their front desk was so disorganized. They were sent some paperwork they request from me prior to my arrival. So I sent it days ahead of time, So that check in would go smoothly when my fiance got there ahead of me. When he got there no one had knowledge of anything. Eventually after calling & questioning it suddenly it appeared. They refused to give me my preference of room. 2 double beds was the request. They would only give me a king. The manager Vicki made it clear to me that I was being punished because I booked through Priceline. Instead of them directly. It was not sold out! They had 5 cars in the parking lot. I would never recommend this hotel to anyone! You have been warned!

Original review: July 16, 2018

Montrose W Ave - The supervisor had me and my children forcefully removed because of a shoe policy in the dining area where no signs were seen just word of mouth. Police were called. I have never been so humiliated and embarrassed in my entire life. The supervisor called the police again on me The next day. Said I was harassing the business by calling to speak with the manager, not one time did the supervisor ask for my name when I called to speak to the manager.

I have never seen such unprofessional behavior from a supervisor let alone the manager who never responded to my complaint from corperate. I WOULD NOT RENT A ROOM FROM THERE EVER AGAIN. My children were treated unfairly, it was not a family friendly place and the supervisor is very rude and the manager condones customers being treated unfairly and being disrespected by employees. No rules or written policy was given about shoes being worn throughout the hotel during my stay as a guest.

Original review: July 14, 2018

We made our reservation 4 days before arrival, I called the 800# to set our reservation for 6/22 & 6/23. Nowhere does it state the hotel is going through renovations, in fact it wasn't added to the website until I mentioned it in my complaint. The Sales Manager & Hotel Manager want you to know the renovations of the rooms were done in December - but mind you, the sink to wash your hands is in the bedroom far away from the toilet area - I only know because we went to look at the room to make sure it was large enough for the 3 of us.

My mother is a senior, who recently survived her 2nd heart attack only this time flat lined at the hospital, I was taking her back to our old "summer hang out" in Mammoth Lakes CA. However, the chemical stench in the elevator was so bad, my son and my mother both had asthma attacks. When I brought this to the Hotel through the BBB, the Sales Manager and the Hotel Manager both said it was altitude sickness, even though my mother confirmed on the phone with the booking rep at the hotel it was an asthma attack to the chemicals in the elevator. Additionally the Hotel Manager implied she sees this all the time with aging travelers.

Due to the policy in place with Best Western, they still charged us $91, because their cancellation is 24 hours before arrival. My point is, the rudeness, the accusations and the smell make this hotel company one of the worst in ethics and empathy. My mother agreed to the charge, but there was no other choice, either pay the half or pay the whole. Based on health issues, I would recommend moving to another hotel as fast as your car can go. Best Western isn't anything it used to be, and Hilton has far better rates, far better accommodations and a better attitude.

Original review: June 29, 2018

Travelers Beware. We made a reservation early Tuesday morning with the Best Western Hotels for a king size bed, pull out couch, and pet friendly room. We were traveling to Michigan from Connecticut with a 15 month old baby, a 15 year old child, and a dog. We received a phone call as we were walking out the door that our reservation was not available, and their establishment could only give us a non-pet friendly room with a king size bed, a desk, and chair. So our dog can sleep where? And our son can sleep in a desk chair? Stunned we contacted their corporate office only to receive empty words of apology and a bonus $25.00 voucher. How generous of them!!!

As a family oriented business we were baffled as to how they could so easily screw us over!!! As a result of their blatant error, we now will have to have our 15 month old in the car a lot longer than necessary. And after talking with their corporate office they probably could care less about what they have put our family through, but I want future guests to be aware of Best Western's Reservation practices.

Original review: June 11, 2018

Nasty disgusting BED bugs are my mother UP. I told her not to stay this hotel because it was dirty. The last time I went I refused to take off my shoes but she convinced me that they remodeled. Well of course they did remodel but only the lobby and decor apparently because my mom or are UP badly and then had to argue with the rep. I hated this stay first of all because the representatives were checking my kids arms to be sure that they had on wristbands in the pool. It is never that serious especially when you have bigger fish to fry like those bug bugs. I've always loved Best Western and have been a rewards member for years. It's the main place I would stay and refer others looking for quality hotel with good pricing. That is now over with. Your brand is now trash to me. I'm so glad I won't be stay in with you all on my Kentucky trip.

Original review: June 2, 2018

Booked hotel thru Hotel.com looking for pet friendly. This hotel was listed so I booked for 1 night. Had to prepay for room. When I arrived for check-in, I was told no pets allowed. The front staff reluctantly allowed me to stay knowing I could not get my refund back at this point. They put me in an all handicapped room which was ridiculous as the shower curtain could not close because of a permanent seating structure attached to the tub. I am not handicapped. To my surprise there were doggy stations on the premises so it was contradictory to what the front desk told me.

Next day I went to breakfast which was being cleared at 9:10 am. The laminated Guest Directory stated breakfast served until 9:30 am.The staff argued that the Guest Directory was incorrect and needed to be changed to 9 am. This was frustrating. Then I observed the employees of the hotel were eating in the breakfast room which is not professional when guests are offered breakfast. I could hear staff talking about the dog owner (me) within earshot. I have never been treated so poorly at a hotel in my life. When I asked to talk to a Manager, I was told he did not work on weekends .Staff was extremely rude! What a joke!!

Best Western Hotels expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Best Western was founded in 1946, and by 1963 the member hotels comprised the largest motel chain in America with 699 hotels. The company’s headquarters are in Phoenix, and there are over 4,000 hotels associated with the company worldwide.

• Rewards program: Travelers can sign up for the free Best Western Rewards program and earn points towards free stays. There are five status levels for rewards members, but Best Western makes it easy for travelers to achieve an elite status. Though the Status Match… No Catch program, this chain will match travelers’ elite status in any competitor’s loyalty program.

• Special discounts: Members of AAA, CAA and AARP receive a discount when they book a room through the Best Western website and provide their membership information. Best Western Rewards members can get these discounts in addition to their rewards discount. Best Western has been named the AAA/CAA Partner of the Year every year since 2008.

• Team travel: Best Western’s Home Team Advantage program offers discounted group rates when traveling athletic teams book four or more rooms. The individual making the reservations can receive this discount by simply clicking Home Team Advantage when making the reservation on the Best Western website.

• Charitable activities: Best Western For A Better World is the company’s charitable program, which focuses on education, poverty and disaster relief. The education program offers scholarships to students studying for careers in the hospitality industry, and the poverty relief program partners with Kiva and World Vision to offer microfinancing to entrepreneurs in developing nations.

• Website: Travelers can easily book a room on the Best Western website, which has received gold in the Best of the Web Awards from Dynatrace every year since 2011. On the website, guests can quickly see room rates, special offers, hotel amenities and even whether or not a particular hotel is designated as environmentally friendly under national or local standards.

• Best for: Best Western offers deals to retirees, frequent travelers and large groups. Individual properties have different amenities, so the best way to see if the brand meets your need is by visiting the website.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs