Best Western Hotels

Compare Hotel Brands

Research top Hotel Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

We came to Oakdale Best Western inn to enjoy our new years. Away from busy life. We travel a lot and are use to staying in Excellent customer service hotels, for example the Hyatt, Hampton, to name a few. We came here thinking being close to Sonora, the mountains, enjoy the close Casinos that are nearby, and we come across not only being accused for missing sheets, but also get an early call that we had torn the comforter. Which we did not tear no comforter. And would have been appreciated the manager Jody to take care of a situation like that, but was never available or on site. CATHY, called threatening us we were going to be charged. Not only that when we get the new sheet put on we get the most old looking sheets. Then we have to go down to the front desk about 8 times to get our keys reactivated.

Not only we go out to the casino and when we come back at 4 am we are locked out By a TRISH. Reactivating our key for only one use, since the other keys that weren't working were in our room. We and personally I have never been treated with so much sarcasm and humiliation, EVER in a hotel. We pay to be here. This Trish and Cathy have a job because of people like us, that rent these rooms, to be able to relax and get away for a weekend from our problems. Otherwise with the customer service they provide, they would be working at McDonald's or not have a job, with the attitude they treat. TRISH laughed at our face where we were so upset, and even threw the bill in our face. That is degrading and humiliating. The corporate office will receive a complaint from us. We paid to have good customer service.

I arrived at the Best Western Plus at DIA on Monday, December 26th, 2016 to stay for nearly a week for my son's surgery. The first night I was there someone broke into my room after I was asleep. I woke to a crashing noise and saw a man, presumably a guest, standing in the open doorway with his bags. He instantly apologized and proclaimed that they must have given him a wrong key. However, the top latch and the deadbolt were both locked.

The staff moved me to a different room however I still did not feel safe nor did I sleep. I checked out the next morning requesting a full refund which they obliged. My husband sent an email to the manager that night after he received my text and called me. The manager did not respond to the email and today is now January 1, 2017. I will not stay at a Best Western hotel again as they do not take privacy and security seriously or they would have made sure the latch and deadbolt would provide security as well as prevent someone from getting the wrong key.

I made a reservation online and got a confirmation number. When we arrived, they did not have a room available that matched our booking request... on their own website! We were given another room. When we arrived at the room, the door was torn up and you could actually see into the room from the hallway. Upon entering the room, the bathroom mirror had toothpaste all over it, the toilet had a sanitized label across it but pee and toilet paper in the toilet. The floor had crumbs of all sorts and the furniture was dusty. The microwave had gross crumbs and splatters. I took pictures of all of it. The one thing I could not take a picture of was the smell of one of the pillows. Never again. Worst experience ever.

Dec. 20, 2016 Miami Florida/Best Western Premier Hotel/Comments: Checking and airport shuttle transportation are very poor. Be careful when arriving. They are not reliable. Neither driver does not drive slow or care about picking up desperate clients. Today Dec 20, 2016 most guests waited over an hour at the airport to be picked up as offered in their nice advertising. MOST GUESTS CALLED BEST WESTERN PREMIERE NUMEROUS TIMES. Receptionist promised an efficient pick up in matter of minutes/reality is that they like to lie to their customers.

When arriving all guests included myself did complaint, THEY DO NOT CARE. The hostility and arrogance of the general manager and his receptionist is such that they said nothing and no one seems to care really. I told them I will write my experience/and they said "Do whatever. WE DO NOT CARE WHAT YOU DO." See, it is frustrating not to be welcomed in holiday season when you supposed to be welcome and as a guest you paid for nice to stay in a nice property and expect to be treated with respect in a friendly and efficient manner/CERTAINLY NOT A THE BEST WESTERN PREMIER HOTEL MIAMI.

BEST WESTERN PREMIER MIAMI is not well handled and their arrogance make you feel not welcomed/some other couple from Germany went through the same experience and I feel sorry for other guests been mistreated. Bad for Best Western/they have a nice website nice smiles and great executives. Nice resumes/yes indeed/reality is that their employees do not care and there is NO professionalism when checking in as their guest. Rooms are clean and nice. Just be very aware of a hostile environment from their managers and employees.

Hotel reek of weed. Front desk manager Kali rude. Offer me points and snack like it's ok to smell foul smell. I had children and breakfast food gross. They don't cook anything. Microwave everything and also have bedbugs in rooms. They know certain room because she move my room to another area she knew was safe she say.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Best Western Hotels?

We rented three hotel rooms total. Two of which had cockroaches spotted twice and each of the rooms. One of the rooms had two of the cockroaches in the actual bed. The other bugs seemed to have come from under the door, twice, so my relative put a bath towel next to the crack under the door as a barrier. The third room had a bathtub that was black like dirt residue in the tub. It also had some kind of black stains that concerned me greatly on the walls of the shower. After calling the hotel lobby front desk, someone was sent to clean my shower and it got better. However the stains on the shower walls did not come off. The staff moved one of my relatives to an upstairs room due to the cockroaches in her bed. The staff was very nice.

I had booked a room for two nights at the Best Western in Independence, Philadelphia, PA. I did not receive a confirmation email, so I booked another hotel. After I got home for my trip, I saw a charge on my bank account for $386.37, plus another $25.75 for I have no idea what. So, I emailed the hotel directly, asking if it was their policy to not send confirmation emails. They replied with the dates I booked the hotel along with Their confirmation emails. I looked back through all of my emails; trash, spam, junk, and deleted only to find none. I save ALL of my emails and delete them as the event has passed. I have never had a problem with any other hotel. In fact, I couldn't even find the email they sent just a week ago, and I didn't delete it! I'm going to contact my bank and resend a complaint to their headquarters.

Upon checkout on Sunday morning, I signed for the charge of $225. My bank shows a withdrawal of nearly $300. (298.52). When I called the location, I was told the extra roughly $75 was an "incidentals" charge and would be refunded. It's been more than 24 hours and there is no refund showing. I did not authorize a charge of $300. I was not notified of an "incidentals" charge. I did not agree to an "incidentals" charge. I feel this is fraud. Best Western is using my $75 without any authorization from me.

My anger is against these particular charges. It's unfortunate because I understand this location has been dealing with damages from the horrific flood in the Baton Rouge area and my sympathy goes out to them. We had no TV for the first 24 hours. The coffee maker still had a used filter from a previous guest, but overall I would recommend this facility. Thomas is very professional and friendly. If this is a Best Western Corporate policy, my anger is at that level.

I made a reservation at the Best Western in Monahans, TX in the morning of Nov. 2 for that same night during a cross-country moving trip in a rental truck. I was not told that the reservation was not cancellable and I had no reason to assume it wasn't since all the other hotels I stayed at allowed cancellations up to 4 or 6 pm the same day. A couple of hours later during a rest stop I viewed a satellite image of the hotel and saw that I would have more trouble getting in and out of it (I was towing a car carrier) than the hotel next door. I called to cancel the reservation and was rather abruptly told that the it would be taken care of. After arriving at my destination I found that my credit card had been charged. I called the manager of the hotel and got completely stonewalled, saying it wouldn't have mattered if I called or not since there was a 24 hour cancellation policy.

So in this tiny one-horse town they're charging me for a no-show as if they had to turn away lines of people who would have taken the room. Undoubtedly, the hotel wasn't even half full that night. I'm disputing the charge, and I'm also advising all my relatives and friends to NEVER stay at a Best Western again if they can possibly avoid doing so. I certainly will be following my own advice.

We have stayed at the Best Western Dockside in Mackinaw city for the bridge walk for many years. We are very unhappy with the experience we had this year. Upon receiving our credit card statement we found that we were charged for our stay plus another $250.00 for the following day. Upon questioning the charge we were informed that they had not charged our card for the second charge.

When the credit card removed the payment to them they then stated that we had broken a coffee table. No mention of any broken table through any of the previous conversations. There was certainly no broken table!!! Still had to pay my charge card anyway because when you check in you agree to be responsible for any damage. BEWARE there are people who will take advantage of your signature for their benefit. They lost a very good customer. Guess I am not the only dissatisfied customer. After reading the reviews sounds like the Best Western motels are really going downhill. My advice is to find another place to stay if you want to stay safe. The Best Western chain is not ran the way it has been in the past!!!

Bugs in my bed. Woke me up 4:00 in the morning. Crawling on me! Gross! Sat on plastic couch awake and very vigilant till my friend (in other bed) woke up and we could check out. When I informed desk clerk, he was NOT concerned and said I'd have to contact corporate. So I did and now Consumer Affairs. The experience was very disturbing. So I paid money to be thoroughly traumatized. Hate bugs. Think I need therapy.

Had a stay a Best Western in Chesapeake Va--for 6 night--the first 6 were ok the 4th night the bed bugs came out to bite... I was devastated I dealt with them before.)-: Told the front desk they said they never had that complaint before. I slept with the lights on but the next morning I had numerous bites. I am highly allergic to BED BUGS. They said the hotel was sold out so they couldn't move us to another room. Next morning I ask them to spray and put a plastic cover on the mattress they said they would. Got in the next night they had not. I got sheets and covers and slept on the sofa--they said hotel was still sold out. Needless to say I didn't get any sleep for 2 nights.

Manager promised an exterminator was coming in on Monday and she would call me. Needless to say this is 2 months later and I have not heard anything or gotten any kind of compensation. I have called and left messages and no return call and no response. IF YOU STAY AT THIS HOTEL WATCH OUT FOR THE BED BUGS!!!

After driving 11 & 1/2 hours, our experience was this: The tv didn't work and had to call someone. The shower came out like a firehose and you could not adjust the stream and you could not adjust anything about it. It blasted out to the opposite wall & it hurt hitting the skin. In addition to that, as if that wasn't enough, it came out so hard that it flooded part of the bathroom to include the front of the toilette. Got into bed and realized they short sheeted the blanket. Couldn't pull it up past your waist. Tried to connect to the internet and had none. My husband had to go downstairs to get it straightened out even tho he was dead tired. Don't waste your money here! Asked for the manager and got none. They were too lazy to get out of bed at 10:00 at night!! And the bed was soft and springy like it was many years old.

The stay was disappointing for the price I paid even with the $20.00 discount on a $197.00 a night motel. The air conditioner was not working properly, we sweat all night. The next morning when my wife tried to iron her clothes the iron was broke. Wow and this is the Best Western??? Told the lady at the desk and was given the $20.00 refund. Nice gesture but just not enough to make up for the hot night. The room was not near what it was shown in the pictures on the website. Total disappointment.

I have travelled all my life, this was the worse experience EVER!! You cannot step outside without a homeless person asking for something. They even sneak into the breakfast room in the morning. Finally, one of them smashed my window in on my car and tried to steal my tool bag, neighbor yelled and he dropped the bag. Had to pay 300 to fix window and NO response from Best Western, it's on their surveillance tape and cops came and verified. DON'T EVER STAY HERE, life is in your own hands.

Multiple roach and second floor noise next door even when politely asked to be quiet. Get away with daughters and multiple roaches making for a disgusting stay. Never had this problem and stayed 5 others times. Smoking room below made our room smell awful all night long. Deserve partial if not entire refund!

I have been staying with Best Western many years and is a Diamond Member. I have a Windows based system and use Firefox. I have been very happy with the new website. They now say unless I get rid of using Firefox and must use EXCLUSIVELY INTERNET EXPLORER. They say they do not care if I can sign on with Firefox and they did not design their new site that way.

There is no Questions and Answers online to address this. This issue has forced me to change how I use their new website. This is unacceptable. This is a commonly known issue that all new websites must work with Firefox, Google Chrome, and Internet Explorer. Unfortunately they want me to change the way I use the computer to see my reservations on site.

If not, the BW sign just spins and spins and spins. I am a Best Western Diamond Member so have been happy with Best Western properties. They seem to NOT care a hoot about me though and given that they are forcing me to use my computer differently as their computer management department decided not to support Firefox. This is unacceptable.

I and other friends travel often and it is different states and on occasions we have used BW hotels. This past week we stayed at one in McPherson KS and everything about it was unsettling. To start there was activity at all hours of night and day and it appeared to be a front for either drug activity or shuttling illegals because of the odd activity and at all hours. The so called maintenance persons were there round the clock and the same 3 and all acted as if on something. The first night my friends on the 1st floor with two door to the outside had someone try to break into their room and would have succeeded had it not been for the safety chain installed on both.

They had used the "dead bolt" on both doors and I said that it would have been impossible for a lock with the internal dead bolt secured to be released with a "PASS KEY". Turns out I was wrong. It is called a "emergency key". It in fact can release the electronic door latch and the mechanical dead bolt. Management spoke to them and said they would look at the security cameras and get back to them. We all walked the property and found a grand total of 4 exterior cameras and lord knows if they all even work. The people working there are either many illegals or there is just a lot of people who come in from the exterior door into the dining area and eat and go and I have my suspicions they were not staying at the hotel.

My room was a 2nd floor and there was such poor wireless internet. I had to go outside on the balcony to get internet connections. My room had missing ceiling tiles and the 4 pillows were as hard a bricks and were so uncomfortable. The cleaning people had a large roll away rack sort of cart they used to go to room to room but the slop like coffee, soda, and whatever liquid dripped out from this wagon and left sticky messy spots on the landing of the balcony. When the chairs were turned over on the table in the dining area when you grabbed them to upright them they were so sticky and dirty your hand stuck to the filth.

I booked a room for 2 nights (Friday and Saturday). Checked out at 7 am Sunday. Discovered on my credit card they charged me a third night (Sunday). Called and spoke to general manager and he stated I booked it on-line and I was a no show. I explained I did not and, had no reason to and I never had a email confirming this (did for 2 nights). He refused to refund my money and said "too bad for you." I called BW headquarters and explained what happened. They said there is nothing they can do. What horrible customer service but I will be sure to spread the word about my experience! Opened up a unauthorized charge with my credit card company!

I checked in at the Best Western Plus New Englander in Woburn, MA on August 25, 2016. When I arrived, the hotel was undergoing a major renovation and the second and third floor were still under construction. Their computer system was down, and I had to wait in the lobby for 45 minutes before I was manually checked in. I was assigned room 412, where I proceeded to unpack my suitcase and carry on luggage. Later on that evening, there was a power outage in my room, so I was transferred to room 514. Unfortunately for me, while moving my stuff in the dark, I left a pair of sandals in the room and reported it to the front desk in the morning. I was told they will check with housekeeping and get back to me later.

I kept checking with the front desk for the rest of my stay, and never recovered my sandals. I made several calls to the hotel, but did not get any response. Sent an Email to the corporate office and never got a response. I finally decided to call the customer care number after six weeks, and was told that the hotel is not responsible for my missing Item. Instead of investigating their housekeeping staff, I was told file a complaint to the police for an investigation. The front desk never advised me to file a police report, neither did they tell me that they were not responsible for my sandals. They gave me the run around until I checked out on August 28, 2016.

My conclusion is that this hotel's housekeeping staff is very dishonest with a criminal mindset. The housekeeping employee that was responsible for cleaning that room knows exactly what happened to my sandals. They did not even factor in the inconvenience of moving all my stuff in the dark. Instead I'm been victimized for their incompetence. I will never use a Best Western hotel again.

Garbage hotel and customer service. No serious problems ever addressed or responded to. Clerks on the phone have no tools to do their job... or even care. BW continues to go downhill. Travelled worldwide with BW when I was a VP of Sales for an International Corporation. 1980's and 1990's. Many sale meetings. Now I can't even book a room for one night without it getting screwed up. Shame. Shame.

Handicap room was not equipped adequately. Space between bed and dresser was too narrow for standard wheelchair, bars in bathroom were improperly placed, bathroom vanity was way too small, tub was a standard tub difficult to get into, bath stool did not fit tub, handle on shower heavy and very slippery, and worst of all there was no water pressure! Trickle at best. This whole room was an afterthought in complying to hotel regulations. The Best Western Gateway in Sarasota, Florida. Will never stay at a BW again!

Made a reservation with Best Western St. Ignace mi, but because that hotel was full it transferred my reservations to mackinaw city. I only noticed this on the confirmation email because of hotel address. I did not want to stay in mackinaw. Called and canceled but after returning home noticed they still charged credit card full amount for a room in never stayed in. They refuse to help in trying to resolve this matter. Worst business. Will never use this hotel again.

Beautifully renovated with wonderful landscaping. Very high value. Although close to the freeway, this is a wonderful property and not at all typical of freeway stopover hotels. There is a decent restaurant on site.

I broke my hand from a Murphy bed falling on it. I had to go to the emergency room and got casted and they made believe they have no insurance to cover my medical costs. I hired an attorney which was of course friends with the owner. In these small towns everyone knows each other. No one should ever go to this Best Western. It should be known as the Worst Western. The murphy bed was not properly installed and when I tried to bring it out of the wall it just fell right onto my left hand.

Direct booking was $40 better than the best rate from internet sites. Best pet friendly package ever. In room amenities were as expected, towels, coffee, pillows, HVAC, toiletries. This is not luxury. Clean and neat. Fabulous restaurant on site except not open on Sunday. We have a small dog and appreciate the doggie bucket of treats etc. as well the bucket is a great water bowl (you don't get to keep the bucket). We stay here every year on our way to AZ.

Beautiful area, some of the friendliest people I've met and clean as a pin. Everyone is so helpful and take every opportunity to be of assistance. I will be staying again.

My wife and I spent a night at the Best Western Plus hotel in Plattsburgh, NY. More precisely the Inn at Smithfield, 446 Route 3 Plattsburgh, NY, on September 10th 2016. While my wife was taking a shower (in tub shower), I heard her falling in the tub. I rushed in the bathroom to help her out and as she explained and that I was able to witness, there are no hand rail or other mean to hold on to. The bathtub bottom gets very slippery when wet and soapy as there are no anti-slip strips and not even a single towel bar. She hit her head and shoulder very hard on the ceramic tile wall and the bathtub edge. She could have died... This is a serious life threatening problem and I will escalate the case to the hotel management and the chain management as well. Watch out if you ever stay there.

We went on vacation at the end of July, and were told we would get a $50 Visa gift card within 6 weeks of our 2nd stay as long as we stayed in 2 different cities within the first 30 days of our membership. We could have stayed at a cheaper hotel (there were several that were cheaper and in better condition than the one in the second city), but we chose to stay there due to what we had been told. We still had not received the gift card, so we called customer service tonight.

We were told that we were never told it was a gift card, rather it was $50 off of another stay, which we did not need at all. He also told us that we had already received confirmation of this on August 9th, which was only 9 days after our 2nd stay, so I went back and double checked my email. Surprise! I did not find the email he referred to, only an advertisement for different cities you can go visit. He was very rude, and implied that we "misunderstood" what she said. I believe it is extremely hard to "misunderstand" when the words are as vastly different as "Visa" and "$50 off of your next stay at Best Western". Also, as many others have stated the breakfast was horrible in the second hotel, and our non-smoking room reeked of cigarette smoke. I am allergic to cigarette smoke, but they did not have any empty rooms available. We will not be staying at Best Western again due to horrible customer service.

I stayed at the Best Western in Las Vegas, New Mexico. I checked in & went to bed as it was very late when I arrived. The next morning I noticed a dirty sock on the floor and crumbs on the table. I checked out and left the hotel. The next week, I received my credit card statement which showed two charges from Best Western. One for the room charge and another for $500. I contacted Best Western and asked them about the $500 charge. I was told it was for smoking in the room. I am a non-smoker and have never smoked in my life! I spoke to the Assistant Manager and she was absolutely awful and of no help. She possessed no customer service skills whatsoever. It's sad that Best Western has to make up charges to pass on to their customers to make a buck. It was the worst, and last experience I will have with Best Western as I will never stay there again.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Best Western was founded in 1946, and by 1963 the member hotels comprised the largest motel chain in America with 699 hotels. The company’s headquarters are in Phoenix, and there are over 4,000 hotels associated with the company worldwide.

• Rewards program: Travelers can sign up for the free Best Western Rewards program and earn points towards free stays. There are five status levels for rewards members, but Best Western makes it easy for travelers to achieve an elite status. Though the Status Match… No Catch program, this chain will match travelers’ elite status in any competitor’s loyalty program.
  • Special discounts: Members of AAA, CAA and AARP receive a discount when they book a room through the Best Western website and provide their membership information. Best Western Rewards members can get these discounts in addition to their rewards discount. Best Western has been named the AAA/CAA Partner of the Year every year since 2008.
  • Team travel: Best Western’s Home Team Advantage program offers discounted group rates when traveling athletic teams book four or more rooms. The individual making the reservations can receive this discount by simply clicking Home Team Advantage when making the reservation on the Best Western website.
  • Charitable activities: Best Western For A Better World is the company’s charitable program, which focuses on education, poverty and disaster relief. The education program offers scholarships to students studying for careers in the hospitality industry, and the poverty relief program partners with Kiva and World Vision to offer microfinancing to entrepreneurs in developing nations.
  • Website: Travelers can easily book a room on the Best Western website, which has received gold in the Best of the Web Awards from Dynatrace every year since 2011. On the website, guests can quickly see room rates, special offers, hotel amenities and even whether or not a particular hotel is designated as environmentally friendly under national or local standards.
  • Best for Best Western offers deals to retirees, frequent travelers and large groups. Individual properties have different amenities, so the best way to see if the brand meets your need is by visiting the website.

Compare Hotel Brands