3.9/5 (590 ratings)

About Best Western Hotels

Best Western Hotels Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Best Western Hotels?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Best Western Hotels?

Original review: Nov. 11, 2022

The hallways smelled horrible, our sheets had yellow stains all over them, the wall next to the bed had food/drink all over it, carpet was not vacuumed, the fan in the bathroom was extremely dirty. Breakfast was supposed to be starting at 6:30 luck if they were ready at 7 am

Original review: Oct. 17, 2022

On September 30 we checked into the BW Chicago south shore Ave at around 11:50p.m, they checked us into a smoking room the smelled like marijuana, the stinch was so strong we had to cover our nose, upon checking the room there was a mice, called front desk, they did switch our room, after switching rooms we left out to get food, return to the room around 1am, we were up eating and talking, got a knock on the door asking to tone it down, we weren’t loud at all, we then got a phone call saying they were calling the police, no police. The next morning phone rings saying we had to leave, why we haven’t done anything, police were called again, they came to room and said we aren’t doing anything wrong and they left. Went to speak to manager and of course nowhere to be found.

After my weekend stay I called Customer service and made a complaint about the harassment and my experience, the hotel that we had the bad experience with return the call, Mr. Earl called and was very nasty and insensitive about situation, he/they lied and said we had a party, not sure how two ppl can have a party!! I’ve reached out to corporate and no response. This was and is the worst hotel stay I have ever experienced. Will not and would not recommend anyone to stay at BW!!

Get buying tips about Hotel Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2022

1-star is one too many for this Worst Western. Awful experience and awful management that could care less. Never again! I booked this room last minute due to an unexpected death in the family. Somehow I was given a smoking room and I asked politely if I could switch rooms and was told over the phone to come to the front desk. Then when I got there I was told it would be an extra $50. This is ridiculous and if anything smoking rooms should cost more given the fact they smell and take longer to clean. Nowhere in my 3rd party reservation did it say I booked a smoking room and even their front desk agent looked at my reservation and agreed. There wasn't even the option for smoking/non-smoking, as I explained to the front desk agent.

I definitely did NOT select a smoking room and IF the 3rd party pushed it thru as a smoking room, that isn't my fault and telling me to call the 3rd party to have them put me in another hotel after already having a tough time coming back from a FUNERAL...VS simply moving my room at no charge when there were plenty of rooms available is just insane to me and the complete opposite of hospitality. I was not told there were no non-smoking rooms available...In fact I was told by your desk agent there were several non-smoking rooms those nights but they would have to charge me $25 extra per night.

Trying to hustle me when I'm literally mourning a major loss in my life is inconceivable. The room rate was EXACTLY the same when I looked it up which makes the new name of this hotel the Worst Western. I was staying at the hotel because of a death in the family and I didn't need the added stress. This should've been a simple fix but this hotel and BHW Group clearly do not know what real hospitality is and if they do, they failed to show it. I've worked in several hotels before and I've been awaiting an official response from corporate regarding my formal complaint. It has been 10 days and I have still yet to hear anything. Anyone or any entity trying to profit off of someone in my situation should not be in business. The way they handled this situation is beyond disappointing.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2022

I just had to take a minute and express my gratitude towards the front desk associate. Miss Kayla is such a delightful spirit. I came down every morning of my stay to her smiling face greeting me. During my stay tragedy stuck and my dad passed away unexpectedly after making a full recovery in the hospital. When I came in to ask to extend my stay I couldn't hold back the emotions, Kayla immediately sensed that something was out of the ordinary with me. She didn't hesitate to come around the desk and hug me and held me while I just broke down in her arms.

The following day she knocked on my door just to check in and ensure I was doing okay after confiding in her about how sad I truly was. I truly believe she went above and beyond her duties for me and she was a saving grace. It's not often complete strangers have the level of empathy that she does for people and I'm just so grateful she was there. I truly thinking she saved me from myself that day. Please let her know how amazing she is and that she touched my life with her kindness.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2022

I was on vacation and planning on staying at a best Western. An hour before I was to get there the transmission went out in my car. I called immediately to inform the hotel. There was no manager on duty to talk to. I called four days in a row and the manager never called me back. They said I didn’t give them 24 hours notice so wouldn’t offer a refund. I’m sorry my car funny give me 24 hours notice that it was going to break down. I took my issue to corporate and they said the hotel didn’t have a record of me calling. They charged me for a no show because I didn’t show up. I realize there are cancellation policies but this was completely out of my control. I was literally stranded on the side of the road dealing with my car. They show zero empathy and just want money. I will never stay at a Best Western again. I will never recommend anyone staying there. I hope you take this to heart when dealing with this hotel chain.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2022

I have never seen such a small room, and I traveled for years in business. The king bed took up almost the entire room. There are no additional items; had to go downstairs and ask manager for ice, and only a coffee station in the am. Parking was a block away. There were homeless people camped across the street at night. I am from the Bay Area, definitely would have stayed somewhere else that was cheaper and larger if I'd seen the actual room beforehand. I was traveling with a friend, they did not enjoy it. The bathroom was like a water closest, just enough room to turn around, but no more. The lighting in there was not conducive to putting on makeup. Will not save this place. While I appreciate it was built in 1911, the pictures don't reflect the actual room size.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2022

After a 10 hours drive, stopped at BW for one night rest before continuing the drive. It was a hot summer day and the AC at the room broke at 3 AM. Could not get rest. In the morning tried to have breakfast before heading the road but the waffle machine was broke as well. Wrote a complaint to the hotel manager but did not any reply back. Then wrote to the Head Office and to my surprise, the HO said they could not do anything. So, not only I did not get a rest that night, I paid around $400 for it and did not get any proper response to my complaints. The WORST HOTEL experience I had.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2022

I called the reservation number listed in the hotel website. I was traveling to Harrisburg, PA. While on the line line with the agent I asked for a confirmation number, she put me on hold to get that for me. In the meantime, I received an email confirming my reservation for a hotel in Miami. When she came back on I was referred to another number for technical support as she stated she could not correct this due to technical issues. This has been a nightmare ever since! They refuse to transfer the reservation to the correct city and state. They have taken full payment on my card. They will not refund my money and, they will not cancel the reservation in Miami. My only hope is to let my bank try to do something as I have filed a dispute. DON’T STAY HERE!!!

Original review: July 28, 2022

I scheduled a hotel room through a third party and selected to pay on site upon check in since my itinerary has to change frequently. I cancelled well within the time frame for cancellation. Best Western created an authorization anyway prior to my check in for the full price of the room that I had to cancel. Why? No explanation. The charge very clearly says "BEST WESTERN ASPEN" - not the third party and not a merchant other than Best Western. When calling to speak to someone about having my money returned since - again - **I NEVER CHECKED IN BECAUSE I HAD TO CANCEL**, I was told it was "just" an authorization. For a reservation that requested payment upon check in? Through a third party service? The third party states that any funds taken by the hotel would have a full refund immediately, and yet the funds have not been returned to me 12 days later.

My bank states that authorizations like that have to be updated with $0.00 balance due. Not only did it take the hotel 3 additional days AFTER my cancellation to actually reverse the "authorization", every time I call the hotel, the General Manager is mysteriously not there. When I called the corporate office of Best Western, I was put on hold while they actually got to speak with the General Manager. Whom I was told was not in about 15 minutes prior. I have sent emails requesting documentation that have been ignored completely. Their general management and billing along with their poor customer service at every level is completely lacking. This is a SERVICE industry - which I have worked in most of my life.

I have never been treated so unprofessionally in my life. There have never been any options offered for solutions and everyone I have spoken to has been defensive and argumentative instead of apologetic or at minimum helpful in the very least. Someone made a mistake at your hotel. Own it and do literally everything in your power to rectify the situation. That is what being in the service industry is all about. Serving customers. I will never be a Best Western customer again due to this issue. Which is really a shame since I work in the event planning industry.

Original review: July 18, 2022

Had a horrible experience with the BW ship hotel at Weybridge. Had booked the hotel for 2 nights for a business trip. Was shocked to know that they had double billed my booking at the hotel. There was also an attempt to make the deduction from my card for the third time. However my credit card company realized this and they blocked the card. When I complained about this in the reception, no one is providing me any help. Everyone asks me to contact the Manager called Sarah who appears never to be in the Hotel. They told I will hear from the manager soon. But no one called me about this problem. When I told the lady at the reception that I will call the manager, she told me ''DON'T DO THAT". What a supportive and friendly staff.

This is my worst ever experience with any hotel. I have visited many hotels for several business trips. But nowhere I have had such experience. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. I never heard from the manager throughout my stay. Did not get any support from her. This was my very first visit to the UK and had this experience.

Best Western Hotels author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Best Western was founded in 1946, and by 1963 the member hotels comprised the largest motel chain in America with 699 hotels. The company’s headquarters are in Phoenix, and there are over 4,000 hotels associated with the company worldwide.

• Rewards program: Travelers can sign up for the free Best Western Rewards program and earn points towards free stays. There are five status levels for rewards members, but Best Western makes it easy for travelers to achieve an elite status. Though the Status Match… No Catch program, this chain will match travelers’ elite status in any competitor’s loyalty program.

• Special discounts: Members of AAA, CAA and AARP receive a discount when they book a room through the Best Western website and provide their membership information. Best Western Rewards members can get these discounts in addition to their rewards discount. Best Western has been named the AAA/CAA Partner of the Year every year since 2008.

• Team travel: Best Western’s Home Team Advantage program offers discounted group rates when traveling athletic teams book four or more rooms. The individual making the reservations can receive this discount by simply clicking Home Team Advantage when making the reservation on the Best Western website.

• Charitable activities: Best Western For A Better World is the company’s charitable program, which focuses on education, poverty and disaster relief. The education program offers scholarships to students studying for careers in the hospitality industry, and the poverty relief program partners with Kiva and World Vision to offer microfinancing to entrepreneurs in developing nations.

• Website: Travelers can easily book a room on the Best Western website, which has received gold in the Best of the Web Awards from Dynatrace every year since 2011. On the website, guests can quickly see room rates, special offers, hotel amenities and even whether or not a particular hotel is designated as environmentally friendly under national or local standards.

Best Western Hotels Company Information