2.68/5
Based on 90 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Best Western Hotels

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 15, 2018

479 Best Western Hotels Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

February 2, 2018 I checked into the Best Western Greenville Airport for the specific reason to take the shuttle in the morning to the airport. As I often do when traveling and I have an early flight. I told the clerk at the front desk upon check-in that I would need to be on the shuttle in the morning. She told me that it leaves at 6:00 am, and to be there 15 minutes early. I thought this would be OK, since my flight was at 7:30 am. Saturday Feb 3, 5:35 am I went to the hotel lobby. I told the clerk at the desk that I was there to catch the 6 am shuttle to the airport. She said, "You are not on the list." Without an explanation of what that meant, I said, "I need a ride to the airport." She repeated, "You're not on the list." She then showed me the list and said, "See. You're not on the list." She continued with the attitude that it was my responsibility to be on "the list".

I said, "I don't know who is responsible for your list. I told clerk when I check in yesterday that I needed to catch the airport shuttle at 6 am and she told me to be here 15 minutes early." The back and forth of "on this list/not on this list" continued until I finally said, "Then put me on the list." She then told me that the shuttle leaves at 6 am and 7 am, I said, "Ok 6 am," and asked about coffee. She said, "Around corner." At this point I was frustrated with the disrespectful strange behavior from the front-desk clerk.

I didn't see the coffee cups when I went to get coffee. I cracked open the "employee only" door, not entering, and called out for a cup. The clerk came around and with a disdain expression and showed me where they were. I sat down to drink my coffee thinking everything was ok. Wrong. Someone walked quickly behind me and said, "Your shuttle is ready." I gathered my carry on, my large rolling suitcase, my purse and my still full coffee cup. Making it to the front door and finding it difficult to navigate the slight grade that it had some kind of bumps in the concrete. Consequently, my coffee started to spill. The shuttle wasn't 10 ft from the door and the driver remained behind the door of the van out of sight.

I called out for help from the driver and she said, "Bring your luggage over here. I will help you put it on the back." I had to dump out my coffee and then was able to get to the back of the van. Really, why wouldn't she help me? I am 66 years old and under 5 and needed help. Now the clerk came out and said I was yelling. Not true! I only called out for help. The driver now told me she didn't need to take me. That it was a courtesy service not a service guaranteed. She took my luggage off the van and shut off the engine, and disappeared back into the hotel. I went in and told the clerk to call me a cab, I realizing she was not going to help me.

So then I started trying to find a cab. No cab companies were answering the phone. A few choice words in a heated moment followed and I concluded the conversation by saying, "I hoped you have surveillance cameras." I am a senior woman traveling alone. I was left in the front of the hotel with my luggage. It was dark and I'm in an unfamiliar neighborhood and town, not knowing anyone I could call. No answers on cab or transportation calls. It was still very dark out and I didn't know what to do. Terrified, I headed toward the only light that was a Waffle House. Desperate, I asked a young man who looked as if he was on his way to work if he was going by the airport and I would pay him twenty dollars to take me. Turned out he is an angel, he saw my desperation and said, "You don't have to pay me anything", picked up my luggage and took me to the airport in time to catch my flight. When I was dropped off, I put 20.00 in his console.

As a frequent Best Western guest, I have found this entire experience to be traumatizing to me. I wake up in the middle of the night reliving the incident. It was only by the Grace of God that this man turned out to be an Angel, but I was focus on NOT missing my plane home. Finally, when a guest calls out for help – obviously in need of assistance – do NOT accuse them of SHOUTING. There IS a difference. It could have been a matter of life and death, and your front-desk clerks put MY LIFE in danger. The public needs to be informed about how they could be treated by Best Western employees.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

I went a ten trip to the East Coast with my daughter and my niece starting in PA. and ending up in the state of NY. then back to Michigan. On this trip I put all the hotels on my charge card and at the end of the stay the 3 of us split the bill and we paid in cash. We stayed at these hotels: Fairfield in Dubois PA then La Quinta Inn and Suites in New Haven CT, then on to Quality Inn and Suites in Lexington MA then to La Quinta Inn and Suites in South Burlington Vermont.

Now out of all these hotels I had no problem paying cash. When we left the last stop was Best Western Plus Buffalo NY and when I signed in I told the woman that register me I would be paying in cash. She noted on my room so the next day I paid the young man without looking at my receipt. Got home the next month I receive my credit card bill and guess what, I now owe the 102 dollars that I already paid when I checked out. I've been fighting this since November. I checked out on October 3 2017.

I talk to the manager and he informed me that there is a drop cash box and guess what, no extra money but he informed the 2 people that had registered me and took my money no longer works there. Really. I wonder why he also informed me there's no video camera to see me paid this young man and he hung up the phone. Really. I'm 61 years old and I'm going to con someone it will be more than a 100. I will never ever stay in any of your so call hotel ever again and believe me I will make sure everyone I know and even the ones I don't know will never stay in another this hotel. Out of all the ones we stayed at this one cons working to rip your guest and the manager at this hotel was rude.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

Best Western Cairo, GA - Worst hotel ever, gave them a bad review and the manager sent me an email with lies how I have previously complained that there was no coffee at 1 pm (I don’t even drink coffee) and I had cussed out the desk clerk and called her **! I called him and told him these were lies and his only response was, "What do you want me to do!!!" Best Western’s customers service was no better claiming there was nothing they could do! By the way I am a Diamond and could have cared less that I told them I would never stay in another BW!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

If I could give this hotel (BEST WESTERN PADUCAH, KY) a ZERO I would. Worst hotel experience EVER. I have stayed at so many hotel in my life and seriously the worst. I never write bad reviews but this hotel charged me for checking out 20 minutes late. Mind you my truck started on fire while driving down the interstate. I was staying here waiting on insurance to get me a rental. I got out as fast as possible and they charged me $25.00 before tax WITHOUT telling me for checking out at 12:20 PM. $26.86 after tax. I call and complain and this is how I found this out. Then January 2nd a week later I look at my statement. I am charged another two charges $53.71 and $32.23. REALLY WHY??

I have never had an issue like this. Save your money and time. Stay somewhere more trustworthy. You want your money taken stay here. Don't believe me. Go to Google, click on the link that says lowest score and read several other reviews that have had the same issue as me. The good reviews are probably from the owner and staff. I will be filing a dispute with my bank, the police, and the Better Business Bureau. KEEP IN MIND I WAS CHARGED THROUGH PRICELINE AS I BOOKED THROUGH THEM SO ALL THESE ARE EXTRA CHARGES!! The NONSMOKING hotel room smelled so bad of cigarette smell. The shower curtain had mold. The air and heat was either way too hot or way too cold. The Carpets are gross.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I have stayed at many Best Westerns without any major issues and I recently used loyalty reward points to stay at Best Western Castlerock Inn & Suites in Bentonville Ark. I agree with some other reviews about the breakfast being below average for a BW Plus, but my room was fine. A few days after my stay I opened my credit card bill to discover a mystery charge. I have no idea what the $30 charge is for. Other “Poor” reviews for this hotel have mentioned unexplained charges.

I emailed the national BW customer service department for an explanation a few days ago but haven’t heard anything. More frustrating, I phoned Bentonville directly. The gentleman I talked to said that the manager was on the other line but would call me back with the billing explanation. That was five days ago. I will have to pay this credit card charge, but will not stay at this hotel again. And this experience influences my overall opinion of Best Western customer service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Best Western Hotels?

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

28th Street Wyoming - Nice rooms, nice staff, horrible management. Joanne ** is a rude and uncaring manager. Isn't supportive of staff or guests. Not on site for a holiday weekend, and didn't come in when staff didn't show up. One staff person had been there 26 hours when we left. He had to call in a maintenance person to resolve a faulty lock, keeping guests locked out of room. Maintenance person stated they were aware of the faulty lock, so why were guests assigned that room. Manager says, "Not true." No housekeeping staff or maintenance staff on site when we needed them. One front desk person. Avoid staying here until Best Western chooses quality management.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2017

I'm very pleased with my Best Western stays... I love the breakfast included but I have stayed at only Best Western this year alone... Two trips. Virginia Beach 2 rooms in June. My wedding anniversary... Loved it. Recently Kansas. Years ago... Up and down east coast... BEST WESTERN... My sister said MARRIOT. I said no... Best Western... MY CONCERN... Shouldnt I get a notice of that a discount something? I am not one to ask for special treatment but I'm getting older. Still wanna travel... ** is my husband... Maybe my rooms are in his name... but the payment is in my name. My card. JUST WONDERING maybe Marriot is way to go.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

Best Western Cedar Park Inn - Edmonton - I discovered that this hotel ran up $2000 in Pre-authorizations WITHOUT my permission. When I brought my concerns to them they said it's their policy. It's also ILLEGAL. They also jacked the room rate up 50% for the remaining few days without telling me. I called the corporate main office Customer Service who said they will upcharge the rooms if and when they want without notification. Head office also said they support running up 5-10 times the expected bill on pre-auth's without notifying the customer. Never again will I stay or will my company stay at a Best Western.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

Fredericksburg, Texas - It was a basic room in a basic hotel. The room was comfortable, but the employees could care less if you were there or not. Even asking a question about restaurants was a chore for them. If you want a comfortable room and to be left alone it would probably work.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

Springfield, Missouri - Everything was top notch. Nothing was out of place. Very clean and made up perfectly. Parking was good. Lighting outside was great. We felt very secure and safe.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

Canmore, AB, Canada - Welcoming front dest clerk was very knowledgeable. There were fresh cookies and lemonade at the front desk. Our room was spacious and clean. The pool and hot tub were clean. I would go back.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

St. Joe, MO - Suitable for need and budget at time of use. Nothing extra for price. Up the rates for dog show when they knew I wasn't there for dog show. Needed room upgrade. Employees were professional. This was six years ago though. Improvement may have been made to building.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

We got to the Best Western Coweta, Oklahoma kinda late and couldn't get the discount from the internet to load from the phone, so we thought we would have to pay full price, which was a great deal more than the online quoted price. The owner was in the office and must've heard what was going on because she came out and asked if she could help. We explained the issue and she overrode the computer and not only gave us a discounted price but also upgraded us to a jacuzzi room. We got to the room and it was absolutely beautiful. I went out to get some ice and the owner came up and asked if everything was good and told me if I needed anything to just let her know. It was a wonderful experience and the jacuzzi tub was awesome!! This is definitely one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

Best Western in Sacramento - Short stay for 2 days after work. Small parking area but ok. Near the pool was noisy. Rooms were ok with towels, clean and refrigerator and microwave. The ice machine was not working. The staff were pretty nice. Lucky to get a double room.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

The Best Western in Covington, GA is very affordable, comfortable, clean, nice, and pet and kid friendly. Best choice in 3 or 4 towns I've stayed at and my personal # 1 choice out of all the Hotels or Motels I've visited in my lifetime of 58 years. It was conveniently located near gas stations, major highways, shopping centers, several good restaurants (dine-in, carry out and delivery).

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

It is not the "Best" hotel and it’s not the worst, but it is definitely not worth the price. The customer service at Santa Clara, CA is terrible and very inflexible. I was told there are no early check-ins or late check outs.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

The room at the Connecticut location was very neat and clean, no trash around. Also the bathroom had all the towels, washcloths, etc. we needed. It was a pleasant stay.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Best Western in Prague, Czech Republic. It was located in the center of the city and was walkable to local restaurants and all of the iconic attractions in Prague. Fantastic location and would compare to any upscale hotel in US.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

I always stay at the Hilton Post Oak in Houston during Hurricanes, or when work is being done at my home, and when I just want to be pampered. The food was outstanding and the service is top notch. They bend over backwards to see that everything is done for your complete comfort.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

This hotel in Dayton, WA was beautiful and clean. The beds were comfortable and the room looked and smelled clean like the first day. They had flat screens with DirecTV. The friendly staff were very helpful. The housekeeping were outstanding and they took care of our room every day. And they allowed pets. The breakfast was great. They had waffles, scrambled eggs, biscuits and gravy, bacon, fresh fruit, cereal, juices, and milk. It is buffet style.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

Warm Springs Best Western was very clean and it was a enjoyable. The staff was very helpful and friendly to us. I would recommend it to anyone who needed a clean place and the price wasn't bad either.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

I stayed at the Van Nuys location because some work was being done on my place. Lovely hotel/motel, friendly staff, and very comfortable. Every amenity supplied. I felt cared for and safe. Laundry & soft drink facilities very clean and fully stocked. Just a very nice place to stay. I wish the bar had been open later.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

I booked a room with a local BW for 2 nights on Booking.com with the pay at the property option and cancelled it within the allotted time so I figured I was good. The week after the stay would have happened, I see a charge for $300 then a reversal of $100. Apparently all of a sudden my room was a non-refundable room (pretty sure those are usually a prepaid situation, not pay at property) and they decided to refund 1 night but not the 2nd. I never received a receipt or notification of this situation, just a charge the day after I would have checked out had I stayed.

I'm so angry as the hotel is local and if I had thought it was non-refundable as they now state (they also tried to claim there were 3 dates I cancelled... I only cancelled 2 dates due to a friend who was trying to get dates off and it not working out as planned. If I had known it was non-refundable, I would have at least gone up and enjoyed the night away from my crazy neighbor since it was already paid for.

Trying to get a response from BW is like trying to get blood from a turnip... repeatedly my emails went unanswered which just proves that you as a customer don't matter at all. I'll be advising all friends and family to avoid BW at all costs! $150 is a big amount for someone who lives paycheck to paycheck and apparently they don't care, enough so that they'll keep the one night over a customer.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

I have reviewed these specific motels in Wennemucca, NV, W. Yellowstone, MT & Liberty Lake at TripAdvisor and they are all great motels to spend a night or week at. Each has their own unique attribute. They were clean, well kept and had friendly and efficient staff.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

Middleburg, FL - Comfortable, good price, good beds, nice clerks, enjoyed a selection of breakfast items, and not too far from the hospital where my husband was a patient. I made reservations too at a Best Western for relatives in Charleston, SC.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Greeted warmly, felt accommodated. Rooms and amenities meet to my expectations. Room service was exceptional. Breakfast was adequate. Parking lot was secure.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Orange, CA - Excellent front desk service. Easy check-in, medical needs + service canine accommodated, clean + quiet room ready to check into. Time to enjoy a float in the pool + a little time in the jacuzzi + a full breakfast the following morning if I'm not scheduled for an early morning surgery.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

Please note, I take writing a review like this very seriously and prior to doing so all I asked was that we be treated with respect and given the price that was on the internet and that I had verified prior to taking the shuttle on the phone 15 min earlier. The rude, angry, and confrontational manager who refused to give her name beyond "Ana" said, post the review as if she didn't care at all about the hotel, the chain, and clearly about us as clients who had arrived in the early morning after a long flight trusting the good name of Best Western (which I no longer trust as quality). Here it is.

I travel all around the world and have stayed in many hotels and had arrived in San Francisco at 1 am. At about 1:30 I called the phone # for the hotel and spoke with a woman and verified the price, gave them my name and asked when the shuttle would be coming to the airport. I waited outside the airport for the shuttle and when I arrived at the hotel, the price given to me was $50 higher than the amount I was quoted on the phone (that I had verified with someone else who also heard my phone call). When I asked if I could book online for 2 nights, or if they could give the rate I was promised, the manager (who only gave me her name of Ana, who looked upset from the moment she stepped out) refused and then told us we could not stay there.

I explained to her that I would pay the amount as I needed a place to stay but that it is important to treat people properly and I was promised the rate on the phone and gave my name for the reservation. She continued to argue that I hadn't called so I pressed redial on the # I had called and all the phones started ringing around us. Despite the fact I had just proven that I had called, she turned us away at 2:30 am and I was forced to call an Uber and stay elsewhere.

Before leaving this review, I let her know politely that I would do so and all I was asking was to be charged the amount I was promised. If you are looking for a good hotel, there are many. This would be the last one you would ever want to look at and while I wish Ana great energy, perhaps Best Western can look at giving her some training on taking care of customers as ultimately, if someone has been flying for a long time, arrives at 1 am and calls to verify, and then arrives, the right thing is to take care of the customer. This hotel has provided the absolute worst service I have ever received in 20 different countries and Ana the manager was the rudest, most angry, and incompetent manager I have ever seen. If you are looking for a place to stay, don't walk, run away from Best Western Plus El Rancho Inn in this location.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

Recently converted to Best Western from a cut-rate chain so maybe some issues hadn't been resolved. No travel-sized anything in the room in West Virginia. Coffeemaker but no pot and no coffee, no bathmat, and frankly afraid to take a look at the mattress.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

A situation occurred from the moment I came to the counter in Springfield, MO. My license was from the same town and they don't rent to locals. My pipes busted and I hasn't showered in like 3 days.

Best Western Hotels expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Best Western was founded in 1946, and by 1963 the member hotels comprised the largest motel chain in America with 699 hotels. The company’s headquarters are in Phoenix, and there are over 4,000 hotels associated with the company worldwide.

• Rewards program: Travelers can sign up for the free Best Western Rewards program and earn points towards free stays. There are five status levels for rewards members, but Best Western makes it easy for travelers to achieve an elite status. Though the Status Match… No Catch program, this chain will match travelers’ elite status in any competitor’s loyalty program.

• Special discounts: Members of AAA, CAA and AARP receive a discount when they book a room through the Best Western website and provide their membership information. Best Western Rewards members can get these discounts in addition to their rewards discount. Best Western has been named the AAA/CAA Partner of the Year every year since 2008.

• Team travel: Best Western’s Home Team Advantage program offers discounted group rates when traveling athletic teams book four or more rooms. The individual making the reservations can receive this discount by simply clicking Home Team Advantage when making the reservation on the Best Western website.

• Charitable activities: Best Western For A Better World is the company’s charitable program, which focuses on education, poverty and disaster relief. The education program offers scholarships to students studying for careers in the hospitality industry, and the poverty relief program partners with Kiva and World Vision to offer microfinancing to entrepreneurs in developing nations.

• Website: Travelers can easily book a room on the Best Western website, which has received gold in the Best of the Web Awards from Dynatrace every year since 2011. On the website, guests can quickly see room rates, special offers, hotel amenities and even whether or not a particular hotel is designated as environmentally friendly under national or local standards.

• Best for: Best Western offers deals to retirees, frequent travelers and large groups. Individual properties have different amenities, so the best way to see if the brand meets your need is by visiting the website.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs

Research Team

Best Western Hotels Company Information

www.bestwestern.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use