Best Western Hotels

Compare Hotel Brands

Research top Hotel Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I stayed in the BW Port Huron, MI, on February 19, 2017 for one night with my family. On February 20th, checked out and told by the receptionist that "you are all set". Next day found a charge of $65.00 on my credit card by the hotel. At inquiry, told that there was a Blood Spot on the comforter. I asked the hotel administration to provide proof that it was done by us and they only sent a highly zoom in picture of tiny red mark. I totally disagree with them as I am 100% sure it was present before. The hotel administration is not listening to me nor providing me any clue based on which they charged me.

I never write any reviews no matter how good or bad but we suffered an injustice with this lodging stay, I had to say something to prevent others from making the mistake of staying here. There has been nothing whatsoever done for my inconvenience or for the filthy room, and another fun fact. This was an outside access hotel... like a motel but there was no mention or photos advising this. I had to stay in overnIght at this Best Western 2/24/17. I took photos of the dead bugs, cobwebs in the doorway, used tissue behind the center table from the previous guest, hair and stains on both beds. We were advised there was no cleaning staff available until the next morning and they gave us clean sheets.

When the morning came on 2/25/17 around 9:30 am the hotel staff came around to each room advising the hotel was closing due to a sewage backup. We had to pack up our things and find another hotel for the next 3 days of our stay... on Mardi Gras weekend. Then we had to pack all of our things nightly and shuffle between three different hotels, because of the backup of sewage at the Best Western. There was no "walk the guest" compensation.... nothing but a "Wham, bam, thank you Ma'am." We spent the entire morning 2/25/17 attempt to find other hotels for our stay because your hotel was closing because of the sewage backup on Mardi Gras weekend, so overwhelming, they didn't even help us find alternative lodging. The hotel manager response was simply no action.

Best worst western inn San Diego SMOKING SCAM. Checked out of really run down hotel only to get call an hour later when I'm 72 miles away on L.A. freeway informing me I smoked in the room and 250$ was going to be charged to my card. Well I don't smoke so I turn around and 72 miles later ask manager Katie ** to go to room and lo and behold the sky's opened up and cleared all signs of smoking. What a surprise it was the morning. First time in room she just goes by the maids nose no verified room check by Katie ** MGR. She just rings up the bill on the card. Now she has been proven to be a liar as she said on phone call she inspected the room herself. Lie.

Now I'm 3 hours late and still at hotel. Now we confirmed no smoking in the room she grabs a towel off the floor and asks if I used this to clean my windows on my car. Yes you watched me. Record amount of rain for that day in s.d. Now I ask how much is the charge for a dirty towel only to hear "You did use a voucher for this room." Yes I did bought from general media by myself. Didn't know you were penalized for doing so but MGR Katie ** at Lamplighter Inn feels I needed to be reminded about this fact four hours later. 4 hours later stuck in L.A. traffic. With a 3 o'clock appointment I have no way now of making. What a shame if you don't turn around and come back to confront this LIAR MGR KATIE **. SHE CHARGES YOU $250 and you're stuck.

I was told at the front desk when we early checked out that I had to call Travelocity and that they would call the hotel and confirm the early checkout. I told the lady I was uncomfortable with this but she said that was the policy and wouldn't even give me a piece of paper saying this. When I returned from my travel and called Travelocity I was told by Travelocity, who called the hotel to confirm this, that I was supposed to call them the minute I checked out to have this done. THE HOTEL NEVER TOLD ME TO CALL IMMEDIATELY. I do not have a cell phone, and I was in the middle of a business trip. Had the hotel told me to call immediately I would have used their house phone to do so. No place on my confirmation order with Travelocity did it state I was to call Travelocity while in transit to do this. I am extremely pissed off and intend to fully blast Best Western Practices and Travelocity for not refunding my money thru social media.

I had a two day stay and tried to renew my stay, first they told me yes. Then told me they sold the room to a larger party. Last minute tells me I have to check out. So while I'm looking for another hotel they charge me for a full night stay instead of a late fee and I still couldn't stay the night. Manager was very rude to me. I will never stay with them again and encourage everyone I know not to.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Best Western Hotels?

Tried doing online reservation. Wouldn't let me. Called asked if I had any reservations. Was told no then find out today I had 1 for this past weekend. Called directly to hotel. No help there. Called customer service told nothing they could do. Well we have a group coming in to stay there this month. By the time I tell them of your actions I doubt they will be staying with you. These are all my family. About 20 rooms. I've worked the hotel business. I know how it works. You have very sorry customer service and you don't work with people at all. Just a money grabber business. Will never stay in another of your hotels again. Will sleep in my car first before I give you any money.

I booked a 3 night stay at a local hotel for my mom and her husband while their house was exterminated for termites. I used priceline.com in hopes of getting a slight discount. I received a great deal (about 50% less than regular rate). The savings were applied to the cost of replacing her rear window. Her car was broken into and robbed on her second night stay at the Best Western Hotel in Salinas, Ca. If your car is broken into and items are stolen the hotel says "too bad" - at least thats what the Best Western in Salinas, Ca says.

After doing some research, it turns out the exact same crime has occurred at this Best Western hotel as recently as 3 months ago (entire rear window smashed with big rock, items stolen while parked at Best Westerns Guest parking lot). Surveillance video captured all of it - but we, the hotels guests - are 100% responsible for what happens to our property while staying with them (we have full coverage auto insurance but they only cover a small percentage of the cost of buying and installing a new window for a 2016 Nissan Pathfinder - total we paid out of pocket for vehicle repair was a little over $500 (not including what was stolen).

The car was broken into at 6:07 am. My mother discovered the break in at 8:30-ish am. The car had a Best Western parking permit with valid i.d. # on the dash as instructed, yet the hotel did not inform her at all about her car. The morning shift replaced the night shift during this time as well. The morning shift couldnt find any notes from the night shift regarding the incident. One employee (who my mom thought was security) told her the window was probably broken by a couple who had been "fighting" in the parking lot early in the morning.

Best Western failed to assess and handle a situation they acknowledged being aware of. Best Western failed at logging any of this situation. Best Western did not contact the Police nor did they contact their guest (my mother). Best Western has had vehicle break ins executed almost identical if not fully identical to this one in the past, one as recent as 3 months ago.

Best Western states they provide "Sufficient care" for their guests' personal property but are not liable for stolen and/or damaged property belonging to their guests. They should be fully liable based on negligence. They did not tell us they do not have any security. They did not inform us of any prior break ins in their parking lot. They did not have any warning signs in their parking lot regarding the safety of guest vehicles or leaving property inside vehicles other than the permit stating Best Western provides "sufficient care". I would like Best Western to define "sufficient care" because it is obvious there is zero care. Salinas, Ca is notorious for its high crime rates.

One would think a well known Hotel name like Best Western has proper security for the protection of each paying guest and their property. Thinking they do is a big mistake. The negligence on behalf of Best Western can seemingly point to an inside job. I booked my mothers room through PriceLine.com for one heck of a discounted rate. It might sound a little crazy but what are the odds this is entirely an inside job? The odds are not as crazy as they might seem to be given the fact at least one employee stated he knew about a fight between a couple in the parking lot but chose to ignore the situation entirely. I think the hotel should've paid the cost of repairing the car so I am seeking a lawyer.

First they lost my reservation because of the new computer system. I was lucky I called before I arrived. After checking in we went out and returned or tried to return and they said only registered guests can go up to the room. I had my daughter and a few other people that were going to come up and not stay overnight. I wasn't even allowed up to my own room for over 20 minutes while we tried talking to this staff member that acted like a prison guard!! Finally I was allowed up and then after an hour my daughter's boyfriend and friend paid 20 dollars each more to come up! Then I called down to ask for a taxi as my friend was leaving. I was looking outside to see if the taxi was there before she went down and then I see three police cars pull up and start rushing up to people below. I wasn't sure what was happening but it looked intense.

Then I see one police point at my area. I thought "oh they don't want us to look so I went back inside." Then I get a call from the desk that we are being evicted!!!!! I said "what? Why!" He said the police are coming up. So they came up, told us to leave and there was 9 police officers and my daughter, myself and my daughter's friend. I asked "why are we being asked to leave." He said "the hotel said you threw something off the balcony." I said "that's not true. Please go look from our balcony." There of course was nothing to see but they said they had to listen to the hotel and watched us pack. I have never ever had a problem with any hotels ever! This is unbelievable. I am in shock! We are extremely upset. Please never stay at this hotel. It's your worst nightmare.

Very bad experience. In the first time in my life I face this in a hotel!! I booked 5 nights in Best Western Plus-Dubai (4 rated stars) and I called internationally 2 days before my arrival date and confirmed my reservation and got the confirmation numbers. I sent 3 emails to the hotel asking for detailed booking information. Nobody answered me. When I arrived there, the woman on the counter told me, "Sorry we have no vacant rooms" and we have to stay this night in another near hotel they own. Then we could be transferred to Best Western again the 2nd day. She gave me no choice but saying ok. When I went to the other hotel (El Khaleej) I found it horrible. Bad smell everywhere, restrooms are awful unclean, smelly beddings. Each room supposed to have a kettle and cups. Mine didn't have any and when I asked for them the man of the customer service gave me dirty kettle and dirty cups telling me "You go clean."

This the worst hotel experience in my life. When I tried to talk to Best Western again to solve this problem and at least book me this night in another same standards hotel, they said, "Sorry we couldn't find any rooms in any Dubai hotel!!" Could you imagine this?? I mean all Dubai rooms are booked!! Are you kidding me. I am very upset that I decided to not to stay ever again in any Best Western hotel although I used to do and used to prefer it but this time made me change my opinion and of course I'll tell all my friends and colleagues about it and never ever recommend it to anybody.

Booked a reservation at Best Western Plus in Rancho Cucamonga California several weeks in advance. After a 7 hr drive we arrived and checked in. We went to our room to find that it was not what we reserved. We were given a room with no bathtub which is necessary for us when traveling as we have back problems and soaking in a hot tub before retiring for the evening helps with chronic pain issues. We told front desk room was not what we reserved and that we needed a room with a bath tub. We were told "sorry, we're sold out, maybe tomorrow we'll have one". We returned to our room, not happy but we were exhausted and needed rest. While unpacking I went to move the coverlet from the foot of the bed and saw what clearly were dried, milky white remnants of bodily fluids from prior guests. DISGUSTING!!

I took photos and called the front desk again and complained that the room was not clean and demanded a new room. Again we were told "we know you want another room but we're sold out, maybe tomorrow. You booked with Expedia, you have a problem, contact them!!!" What!?? What difference does it make who we booked with? Expedia is not responsible for the condition or type of room. The Best Western employee was rude to their guest and after we complained to Expedia reservation service, they called Best Western and experienced the same RUDENESS from the front desk. Never again. We are reward members but clearly this corporation has gone to the pigs.

The hotel's location in Arlington, Virginia is very convenient to Washington, DC with free hotel shuttle from airport and to Washington. It's a good hotel for the price. Free hot breakfast was a plus. They have clean rooms and friendly staff, too. The overall amenities are good. I had a great experience overall.

There was an honest mistake made at the Best Western Burlington Colorado Hotel. I was charged for my dog; when she is an emotional support dog. Showed the letter & they mistakenly charged me $20. When I called to point out the mistake; I was treated so badly. They had to talk to a manager about it & told me I was not Protected for an emotional support due to my high anxiety. The girl laughed at me & was sarcastic. Elizabeth **, a Customer Relations Manager, has done nothing to make amends by Best Western. In the beginning, I just asked for the $20 refund - which I was treated like I was asking for such a Huge favor. Now I feel they should refund me the night's stay for the harassment & rudeness. And no apology got the way their employee treated me.

There are mosquitoes not to mention noise from neighboring restaurant. I did not sleep a wink. There was none to speak of about amenities and there's zero inclusions. Customer service is also poor and there was no value in the stay. Hotel backs on a bar/restaurant and it's on a busy street in Sarasota, FL. Stay away. People not staying in the hotel eat popcorn in the lobby. Transients? Just saying!

Overall, I had very friendly service and good food. They had perfect customer service and amenities. I have nothing but a very welcoming visit and the cleaning service maids are top notch! Always welcomed with a smile and always there to assist if needed. The value of my stay in Best Western in Aberdeen South Dakota is great.

I have been a BEST WESTERN REWARD member for around 15 years. I desired to use some of my points for two STARBUCKS cards to give to my friends for the Christmas. I requested them on October 28th 2016 and have been consistently put off them saying they are getting them. I have many replies from them but no STARBUCKS cards as of to January 16, 2017. Obviously the REWARD program is good just do not expect them to allow you to use them. BEST WESTERN now by me is considered one of the worse hotels to expect their promise. Future I will look at better hotels with a good reputation and not make false promises.

Our experience with their hotel located at Fort Lauderdale is always up to par, always enjoyable. The front desk knows us since we visit each year at the same time. Everything is always clean and the restaurant serves the best food ever. It's kinda pricey but inclusions were nice and amenities were always available. Customer service was on point.

Hotel in Omaha Nebraska had 6 weeks call in reservation then the desk clerk had sold our room choices so not only were family separated but they had us wait in hall after 10 pm while there were kids from age 2 to age 14. We had to get other rooms and no adjoining as we had paid for. We are put at opposite ends of hall. Customer service rep was argumentative. The clerk did not read American English well enough as well as refused to discount during May with graduations and their mess up was really impossible because this was already a prepaid reservation and we lost one room and end up still pay for it but not have enough space for all so we had to play camping trip and three to a bed. I was not so sure this was fair.

The air conditioner was moldy and the towels stain grey like dirt - not all washed out. There was running water and tissue but no extra towels allowed. Water temperature was tepid and the toilets run non stop so too. The sheets were all flat and slid off the bed too easily yet no one was messing things up simply laying on top of sheets. We can't let little ones down on any of this area so add bugs or roaches and really odd way of hospitality and we will not use that hotel chain again.

Best Western at Black River Falls Wisconsin provided a very clean room and the service desk people were very helpful and courteous. The stay was excellent value. They had everything that we needed and served a free breakfast. The place was also well located to stores and gas stations. They provided assistance that we needed when asked. The overall inclusions were excellent.

Hotel is located in Syracuse, NY, USA. My overall experience was comfortable, but a little pricey. It has nice location and the amenities are better than some. Room and bed were comfy. The overall inclusions are a little above average. Also, staff were great! Customer service was friendly, courteous and helpful. I would recommend to most of my friends.

We came to Oakdale Best Western inn to enjoy our new years. Away from busy life. We travel a lot and are use to staying in Excellent customer service hotels, for example the Hyatt, Hampton, to name a few. We came here thinking being close to Sonora, the mountains, enjoy the close Casinos that are nearby, and we come across not only being accused for missing sheets, but also get an early call that we had torn the comforter. Which we did not tear no comforter. And would have been appreciated the manager Jody to take care of a situation like that, but was never available or on site. CATHY, called threatening us we were going to be charged. Not only that when we get the new sheet put on we get the most old looking sheets. Then we have to go down to the front desk about 8 times to get our keys reactivated.

Not only we go out to the casino and when we come back at 4 am we are locked out By a TRISH. Reactivating our key for only one use, since the other keys that weren't working were in our room. We and personally I have never been treated with so much sarcasm and humiliation, EVER in a hotel. We pay to be here. This Trish and Cathy have a job because of people like us, that rent these rooms, to be able to relax and get away for a weekend from our problems. Otherwise with the customer service they provide, they would be working at McDonald's or not have a job, with the attitude they treat. TRISH laughed at our face where we were so upset, and even threw the bill in our face. That is degrading and humiliating. The corporate office will receive a complaint from us. We paid to have good customer service.

I arrived at the Best Western Plus at DIA on Monday, December 26th, 2016 to stay for nearly a week for my son's surgery. The first night I was there someone broke into my room after I was asleep. I woke to a crashing noise and saw a man, presumably a guest, standing in the open doorway with his bags. He instantly apologized and proclaimed that they must have given him a wrong key. However, the top latch and the deadbolt were both locked.

The staff moved me to a different room however I still did not feel safe nor did I sleep. I checked out the next morning requesting a full refund which they obliged. My husband sent an email to the manager that night after he received my text and called me. The manager did not respond to the email and today is now January 1, 2017. I will not stay at a Best Western hotel again as they do not take privacy and security seriously or they would have made sure the latch and deadbolt would provide security as well as prevent someone from getting the wrong key.

I made a reservation online and got a confirmation number. When we arrived, they did not have a room available that matched our booking request... on their own website! We were given another room. When we arrived at the room, the door was torn up and you could actually see into the room from the hallway. Upon entering the room, the bathroom mirror had toothpaste all over it, the toilet had a sanitized label across it but pee and toilet paper in the toilet. The floor had crumbs of all sorts and the furniture was dusty. The microwave had gross crumbs and splatters. I took pictures of all of it. The one thing I could not take a picture of was the smell of one of the pillows. Never again. Worst experience ever.

Dec. 20, 2016 Miami Florida/Best Western Premier Hotel/Comments: Checking and airport shuttle transportation are very poor. Be careful when arriving. They are not reliable. Neither driver does not drive slow or care about picking up desperate clients. Today Dec 20, 2016 most guests waited over an hour at the airport to be picked up as offered in their nice advertising. MOST GUESTS CALLED BEST WESTERN PREMIERE NUMEROUS TIMES. Receptionist promised an efficient pick up in matter of minutes/reality is that they like to lie to their customers.

When arriving all guests included myself did complaint, THEY DO NOT CARE. The hostility and arrogance of the general manager and his receptionist is such that they said nothing and no one seems to care really. I told them I will write my experience/and they said "Do whatever. WE DO NOT CARE WHAT YOU DO." See, it is frustrating not to be welcomed in holiday season when you supposed to be welcome and as a guest you paid for nice to stay in a nice property and expect to be treated with respect in a friendly and efficient manner/CERTAINLY NOT A THE BEST WESTERN PREMIER HOTEL MIAMI.

BEST WESTERN PREMIER MIAMI is not well handled and their arrogance make you feel not welcomed/some other couple from Germany went through the same experience and I feel sorry for other guests been mistreated. Bad for Best Western/they have a nice website nice smiles and great executives. Nice resumes/yes indeed/reality is that their employees do not care and there is NO professionalism when checking in as their guest. Rooms are clean and nice. Just be very aware of a hostile environment from their managers and employees.

Hotel reek of weed. Front desk manager Kali rude. Offer me points and snack like it's ok to smell foul smell. I had children and breakfast food gross. They don't cook anything. Microwave everything and also have bedbugs in rooms. They know certain room because she move my room to another area she knew was safe she say.

We rented three hotel rooms total. Two of which had cockroaches spotted twice and each of the rooms. One of the rooms had two of the cockroaches in the actual bed. The other bugs seemed to have come from under the door, twice, so my relative put a bath towel next to the crack under the door as a barrier. The third room had a bathtub that was black like dirt residue in the tub. It also had some kind of black stains that concerned me greatly on the walls of the shower. After calling the hotel lobby front desk, someone was sent to clean my shower and it got better. However the stains on the shower walls did not come off. The staff moved one of my relatives to an upstairs room due to the cockroaches in her bed. The staff was very nice.

I had booked a room for two nights at the Best Western in Independence, Philadelphia, PA. I did not receive a confirmation email, so I booked another hotel. After I got home for my trip, I saw a charge on my bank account for $386.37, plus another $25.75 for I have no idea what. So, I emailed the hotel directly, asking if it was their policy to not send confirmation emails. They replied with the dates I booked the hotel along with Their confirmation emails. I looked back through all of my emails; trash, spam, junk, and deleted only to find none. I save ALL of my emails and delete them as the event has passed. I have never had a problem with any other hotel. In fact, I couldn't even find the email they sent just a week ago, and I didn't delete it! I'm going to contact my bank and resend a complaint to their headquarters.

Upon checkout on Sunday morning, I signed for the charge of $225. My bank shows a withdrawal of nearly $300. (298.52). When I called the location, I was told the extra roughly $75 was an "incidentals" charge and would be refunded. It's been more than 24 hours and there is no refund showing. I did not authorize a charge of $300. I was not notified of an "incidentals" charge. I did not agree to an "incidentals" charge. I feel this is fraud. Best Western is using my $75 without any authorization from me.

My anger is against these particular charges. It's unfortunate because I understand this location has been dealing with damages from the horrific flood in the Baton Rouge area and my sympathy goes out to them. We had no TV for the first 24 hours. The coffee maker still had a used filter from a previous guest, but overall I would recommend this facility. Thomas is very professional and friendly. If this is a Best Western Corporate policy, my anger is at that level.

I made a reservation at the Best Western in Monahans, TX in the morning of Nov. 2 for that same night during a cross-country moving trip in a rental truck. I was not told that the reservation was not cancellable and I had no reason to assume it wasn't since all the other hotels I stayed at allowed cancellations up to 4 or 6 pm the same day. A couple of hours later during a rest stop I viewed a satellite image of the hotel and saw that I would have more trouble getting in and out of it (I was towing a car carrier) than the hotel next door. I called to cancel the reservation and was rather abruptly told that the it would be taken care of. After arriving at my destination I found that my credit card had been charged. I called the manager of the hotel and got completely stonewalled, saying it wouldn't have mattered if I called or not since there was a 24 hour cancellation policy.

So in this tiny one-horse town they're charging me for a no-show as if they had to turn away lines of people who would have taken the room. Undoubtedly, the hotel wasn't even half full that night. I'm disputing the charge, and I'm also advising all my relatives and friends to NEVER stay at a Best Western again if they can possibly avoid doing so. I certainly will be following my own advice.

We have stayed at the Best Western Dockside in Mackinaw city for the bridge walk for many years. We are very unhappy with the experience we had this year. Upon receiving our credit card statement we found that we were charged for our stay plus another $250.00 for the following day. Upon questioning the charge we were informed that they had not charged our card for the second charge.

When the credit card removed the payment to them they then stated that we had broken a coffee table. No mention of any broken table through any of the previous conversations. There was certainly no broken table!!! Still had to pay my charge card anyway because when you check in you agree to be responsible for any damage. BEWARE there are people who will take advantage of your signature for their benefit. They lost a very good customer. Guess I am not the only dissatisfied customer. After reading the reviews sounds like the Best Western motels are really going downhill. My advice is to find another place to stay if you want to stay safe. The Best Western chain is not ran the way it has been in the past!!!

Bugs in my bed. Woke me up 4:00 in the morning. Crawling on me! Gross! Sat on plastic couch awake and very vigilant till my friend (in other bed) woke up and we could check out. When I informed desk clerk, he was NOT concerned and said I'd have to contact corporate. So I did and now Consumer Affairs. The experience was very disturbing. So I paid money to be thoroughly traumatized. Hate bugs. Think I need therapy.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Best Western was founded in 1946, and by 1963 the member hotels comprised the largest motel chain in America with 699 hotels. The company’s headquarters are in Phoenix, and there are over 4,000 hotels associated with the company worldwide.

• Rewards program: Travelers can sign up for the free Best Western Rewards program and earn points towards free stays. There are five status levels for rewards members, but Best Western makes it easy for travelers to achieve an elite status. Though the Status Match… No Catch program, this chain will match travelers’ elite status in any competitor’s loyalty program.
  • Special discounts: Members of AAA, CAA and AARP receive a discount when they book a room through the Best Western website and provide their membership information. Best Western Rewards members can get these discounts in addition to their rewards discount. Best Western has been named the AAA/CAA Partner of the Year every year since 2008.
  • Team travel: Best Western’s Home Team Advantage program offers discounted group rates when traveling athletic teams book four or more rooms. The individual making the reservations can receive this discount by simply clicking Home Team Advantage when making the reservation on the Best Western website.
  • Charitable activities: Best Western For A Better World is the company’s charitable program, which focuses on education, poverty and disaster relief. The education program offers scholarships to students studying for careers in the hospitality industry, and the poverty relief program partners with Kiva and World Vision to offer microfinancing to entrepreneurs in developing nations.
  • Website: Travelers can easily book a room on the Best Western website, which has received gold in the Best of the Web Awards from Dynatrace every year since 2011. On the website, guests can quickly see room rates, special offers, hotel amenities and even whether or not a particular hotel is designated as environmentally friendly under national or local standards.
  • Best for Best Western offers deals to retirees, frequent travelers and large groups. Individual properties have different amenities, so the best way to see if the brand meets your need is by visiting the website.

Compare Hotel Brands