3.57/5

550 Best Western Hotels Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 10, 2019

After a long hot arduous journey it was getting late and I decided to pick a hotel in the Sonora area to have dinner, shower and get a restful sleep. The best choice was the Best Western Sonora an older but completely remolded and updated motel just off the 108. Upon entering the lobby and attempting to check in, there were issues beyond the hotel’s normal procedures that needed to be resolved before finalizing the check in.

The front desk associate by the name Sooner offered to take complete charge of every issue and solve each problem while I went to dinner; to the extent of recommending a restaurant and supplying a menu from the recommended restaurant. Sooner was the only person on duty that evening covering the entire motel and while I was gone for dinner she diligently worked on and completely solved every issue by the time I returned, making my check in seamless. The professionalism Sooner demonstrated that evening went beyond the normal workload of any motel front desk associate I have ever registered in and I’m deeply indebted to her devotion to the job; Sooner is definitely upper management material.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

Two months ago I stayed at the Best Western Hotel in Beaufort, SC. My wife and I had a wonderful stay at this hotel, but I forgot to write a review of the hotel so I am correcting that today. I called to make my reservation a few weeks prior to my stay. The person taking my call was extremely helpful and efficient. He informed me that the hotel had been recently renovated, and that I would love my stay. He mentioned some of the events that were occurring in Beaufort that week, and I was appreciative. He obviously loved his hotel and his town.

The room was very nice and overlooked the Beaufort waterway. The room was larger than most hotel rooms, which was very nice, since we were spending about three nights there. The bed was comfortable. The bathroom was on the smaller size, but the room size made up for this. The room was on the second floor, but there is no elevator. Just an FYI for those not liking stairs.

The breakfast was much better than average. I enjoyed it each day we were in town. Check in and check out were good. They were both quick. The person behind the desk was very friendly and represented the hotel and the town well. The best thing about the hotel was the service. Everyone had great attitudes and were very polite. The hotel is very close to downtown-within walking distance which is very nice. Beaufort is a great town to visit. If you go there, I would certainly recommend this hotel.

Get expert buying tips about Hotel Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

The owner/manager of the Best Western Verdun hotel is top class as are his wife and other staff. All are extremely friendly and super helpful. The hotel itself despite being part of an American chain has retained its French charm. Rooms are comfortable and clean. Bed was very comfortable and clean, the bathroom although small was well accessorized and very clean. The breakfast was good but perhaps a little expensive at $14 per person but not unacceptable. Wi-Fi was free and worked well.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

Fortuitously, I checked with the reservation desk before we arrived. The original arrangements were made thru the 1-800 line, but the printed confirmation was wrong. I called again to straighten it out and even tho the confirmation was corrected, I decided to check with the hotel itself. The reservation there had not been updated to the correction. Straightened it out with the desk clerk over the phone. Everything was in order at check in, but on Day 2, I was locked out of my room because they enforced the original, incorrect reservation. None of it made sense. On the bright side, the woman who ran the breakfast bar was one of the hardest working and most pleasant hotel workers we had ever met. She should be running the registration desk, not relegated to kitchen duty.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I had the pleasure of staying at the Best Western in Waterboro SC a few weeks back. I cannot say enough about the wonderful friendly staff. We arrived late around 10:00 pm the evening of the reservation. Night clerk could not have been nicer. Both rooms were ready and she explained about the breakfast the next morning. Good night sleep on the first floor was a little surprised as I was sure we would hear the traffic. We did not. Then at breakfast we meet the best most efficient friendly hostess for the breakfast room. Her name is Joanne **. This woman made you want breakfast. Could tell she loves people and her job. She even went as far as made me a BW Waffle.

This woman is such a asset to your motel. Probably not paying her enough. Also the front office manager Abram ** was just as friendly and got our bills done quickly and wished us a safe journey. If ever in this area or I have friends traveling here I will highly recommend this place. Thank you all for a good visit. Ms. Dolores **. PS Only complaint I could not get points as I had booked by Booking.Com. Next time I will look into the rate for points.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Best Western Hotels?

Original review: June 15, 2019

AWFUL!! The west wing elevator smelled like mold and mildew so bad we had to take the stairs. Our room smelled like mildew as well. Fridge did not keep food cold. Ice machine barely worked and sounded awful, bathtub would not drain so you are standing in water while trying to shower. Wifi was terrible, My child stays on his iPad and he was very frustrated at how slow it was. They have no entrance to the hotel from the pool and you have to walk all the way to the front desk to check out (sign out beach towels) and then walk them all the way back to the front desk and sign them back in. VERY INCONVENIENT for vacation. The pool was very small and cloudy like it needed chemicals, the hot tub/kid pool not sure which it actually was because it was lukewarm... Also had very few chairs and NO umbrellas at the pool. Very rundown and barely a step up from a roach motel.. AKA the mold motel as we call it. Would NOT recommend.

Original review: June 15, 2019

I had multiple roaches come out in my room. I was moved to another room and there was long hair in the sink and on sink. The toilet did not flush at all. It has been a horrible experience. The advertisements are completely false. I selected Best Western because it offered transportation to the airport, but when I arrived the front desk shared that I should get an Uber instead. I wish I had known this because I would have NEVER booked here.

Original review: June 7, 2019

Due to me staying at a Best Western before in Daytona FL, everything was exceptional there. I decided I would book with the one in Deerfield Beach FL. The reviews was great so I knew this was going to be a great stay. NOT!!! Total Disappointment... I would not tell anyone to stay here. I booked a room for 9 days for my family and I. No one comes to clean your room, you basically have to flag down the cleaning crew for towels, come clean your room, take out the trash, and then they get an attitude when they have to do this.

My husband asked the Customer Service lady at the front desk about the staff cleaning our room. She said “They don’t have to clean your room!” So unheard of, never stayed at a hotel of this manner. The room is outdated, bathroom have a musty order such a mold or mildew, the cleaning staff is horrible. No one understands English or speaks it, I will never stay here again nor will I recommend this hotel to anyone. This was such a horrible experience for my family and I.

Original review: June 4, 2019

I am displeased with the hotel's security. On May 10, 2019, I got back to the hotel, to find my room was ajar. I was truly shocked and asked to speak to the GM.

After listening to what I got to say, we both went to my room and I also showed him proof, a video. He says he would check and that things like this happened! I am so pissed. We are travelers, how would we like to come back to a hotel room ajar, and when I questioned, he just says things like this happened!

He went to investigate and came back to me with a note on time the door was left open and time I got back. It was few mins apart and so on! I am unhappy! It's not about giving me a note and box of chocolates to send me away! It's also not about the few mins apart! The issue is, if I didn't come back at that time, my hotel room door is still ajar! I have my whole duration travel for 3 weeks, and due to this, should anything happened, I am left stranded. I am seeking a compensation for this! It's not ok to say things like this happened!!!! This is unacceptable! I then contacted the booking engine and they told me they tried to negotiate with hotel but the hotel refused to admit their mistake! A mistake is a mistake no matter what! You don't shift the blame to thin air saying it's just few mins apart between it! I demand an official apology and full refund of my stay. EUR 531.41 for stay May 8 to 12, 2019!

Original review: June 2, 2019

I stayed at your SureStay Hotel Buena Park, CA and reserved the room back in March 2019. I booked your hotel based on location and having a breakfast available each morning that I was there. When I got to your hotel the breakfast bar wasn't going to be available for my stay. I specifically book your hotel that stated it was one of your offers at this hotel. I was very upset and was planning of using it while I stayed at hotel. I tried to cancel my reservation and booking at another Best Western after I read email about breakfast bar unavailable. Not only this was not available my AC Unit and TV wasn't working in my room. I think I should be credit a night's stay for inconvenience.

Original review: May 27, 2019

Made a reservation, cancelled within 24hr period as the policy stated. The hotel charged me anyway. Called customer service and they stated that when the reservation was made, it was too late to cancel. This hotel is located in Delhi Louisiana. A very unsafe location. No security and not well lit. Will not recommend anyone to use Best Western. I am a well traveled person. They are dishonest.

Original review: May 27, 2019

We spent a night at the Best Western Sunland Park in El Paso. Our experience there was amazing. The general manager, Cassandra was so efficient and helpful as was all the staff. The room was great, the breakfast was wonderful and the value could not be beat. We would not consider staying at any other hotel or chain.

Original review: May 13, 2019

Best Western Plus, Bradenton SR 64. All in all, it was an ok stay. I was extremely annoyed with the A/C. It felt cold if I stood next to it but didn’t really feel like the room was as cold as I had it set to. Also, it made a disturbing noise every time it kicked on. It awakened me each time. I also had searched for a pet-friendly hotel. It showed online that it was, however, was later told it was not but “used to be”. The staff was pretty friendly. Bed a little hard but got used to it. No fan in bathroom. Ice machine and vending machine were out of order.

Original review: April 28, 2019

Best Western is the worse hotel brand I’ve ever had to deal with. We were told our hotel reservation was cancelled two hours before we arrived due to continuous plumbing problems. When I arrived at the hotel, I was bullied by the tall man named Eric who had little manners and no customer service skills as well as the general manager, Gary. Eric was throwing dirty looks at me from behind me. When I saw what was happening, I asked Dan why this is appropriate and he went on to say he didn’t see a thing. He was looking right at him. It was like dealing with thugs!! Best Western open your eyes and have housekeeping clean up the staff!!

Original review: April 23, 2019

The Gold Country Inn is by far the worst Best Western l have ever stayed in. The smell on entry was sickening, there was an empty six pack and assorted other garbage left behind the TV/dresser then the TV went blank and never work the rest of the night. The desk clerk told my wife at check out that she would not charge $30 pet fee, which was a lie as when I checked receipt at home it had been charged. The room in general but especially the bathroom was in horrible condition as who "remodeled" or did maintenance didn't care to finish or what the room looked like.

Original review: April 19, 2019

My son and his girlfriend stayed at the Best Western on Commerce. A hotel chain that we often support, because overall it is usually a good experience with decently clean rooms. But their last trip to a Best Western (in LA) was a nightmare, they were without running water for 3 DAYS!! I initially told them they should leave but they were new to California in general and didn't quite know where to go, and the hotel promised them they would be compensated for the days without water, and just as soon as they had lost their patience the water returned.

I called and left a message for the manager and got no response. I spoke to a customer rep who let me know that if they needed a bucket of water they would have to get it THEMSELVES! Which needless to say I found quite offensive. We are not the complaining type, so we just accepted their promise of compensation and moved on.

Well here we are a month later and we are getting the run-around. First, they said call booking.com, we called them and they told us - rightfully that since they never received any money from us and just secured the booking we should get the money from the hotel. The hotel then said sure they will send it to my son's account, this never happened. Even though we received a letter that we would have it in 10 days. Can you imagine staying in a new city at a hotel and having NO WATER? And then can you imagine after going through that to not be compensated as promised?This is deplorable and inexcusable, and they should be ashamed of themselves for even allowing it to get so far that I would feel the need to place a complaint online. I am beyond frustrated, we need and deserve OUR MONEY BACK!!!

Original review: April 18, 2019

Date of Incident: April 6, 2019 Time: 7:00 PM. I showed up at the Front Desk and YOLI said "I can't find your confirmed reservation and later on said it was for one day prior April 5, 2019. She said if you want to stay, you will have to pay again $118.00. I went to another hotel in Bakersfield, CA. When I came home I called the Manager and she said, "I can't help you" and hung-up on me. I checked and verified the booking date, confirmed on April 6, 2019. Hotel made a error or mistake. I prepaid with AMEX Credit Card and I want a full refund in the amount of $95.92. This is taking too much time to solve this matter. I have reported to a few agencies to help me, but it looks like I might have to do more research. Any suggestions. Sincerely, Raymond **

Original review: April 11, 2019

Stayed once and enjoyed my stay. Booked again but was admitted to hospital prior to vacation, so logically needed to cancel reservations, but they would not cancel it and kept my $400. It was to be an annual trip, but never again at a Best Western!

Resolution response: April 9, 2019

The lady I worked with first--Kayla--and then Stacey worked from Wed. till Monday and then FINALLY after many phone calls---got this problem solved and a credit to my credit card from the hotel they mistakenly booked me into!

I still think it would be much better PR if Best Western could immediately credit the money to the customer without having to contact the hotel and have only the hotel being able to credit the customer who was wrongly charged! BUT alls well that ends well.

Original review: April 7, 2019

I reserved a hotel (BW plus - SANDCASTLE). The people there were great and very helpful when we stayed there. BUT - I called to make the reservation for ONE EXTRA NIGHT. Asked representative if we could use the same confirmation number - he called back to say "YES." BUT told me that they'd charge $170.99 right away to hold it. I said, OK so long as I get credit." Got to the hotel - had great stay, and got home. Luckily I checked my credit card and found I'd been charged the $170.99 PLUS a $25.97 charge and it was at the Best Western PLUS - NOT THE SAME hotel where I stayed! I called and the Customer Service person said, "Best Western can't refund anything, only the hotel itself could." (BAD idea.) She told me she'd called the hotel and was told she'd talk to the General Manager next day.

TWO days later I called the 800# and talked to another rep. She told me that the first girl never heard from the General Manager of the hotel and was waiting to hear from him!! I told her I had called that hotel on WEDNESDAY and by Friday had NOT received a call. Meanwhile My charge of about $200 is still on my card to be paid! I think this system is terrible and can't believe the General Manager ignored a customer AND a representative from his own company! So - I'm still waiting - This may be the last stay at Best Western!

Original review: March 14, 2019

I tried to cancel my reservation as we had a death in the family. They denied my cancellation because the reservation was booked to long ago and didn't honor the death of a family member. I was a diamond member. That's my last stay with them.

Original review: March 12, 2019

Everything went wrong with my 1 night stay at Irazu San Jose Costa Rica Best Western: I did not get the superior room I had selected when I made the reservation. I paid the room entirely with my reward points (16000) from the Best Western Rewards website. But the day after my stay, I saw in my account that I was charged 85$US even if the 16000 points had also been taken. When I made the complaint to desk, they told me that it was a mistake and that I would not get charged on my credit card. They gave me a receipt with liquid paper on it masking the rate (!!!) 10 days later the hotel sent me a bill by email...and they took 85US$ from my credit card. This is called an unauthorized transaction. I am trying for several weeks with Best Western customer service to arrange things... It's still not resolved. This is pure fraud!!!

Original review: March 6, 2019

I make a reservation 7 weeks before the reservation day. They (Jonson City Inn) charge to my card 4 weeks in advance. I told the person on the phone when I made the reservation, I will use a different card when I check in. They never told me they will charge to my card 4 weeks in advance. As a result I cancel my reservation, I don't like to pay for something that never receive it.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I booked a room in Naples Florida then cancelled and was told by hotel (I stopped) that it would be no problem as long as Hotels.com had no problem with it and to contact them. I did and Hotels.com said as long as Best Western agreed it would be no problem. Then Hotels.com said the Best Western told them I would be charged for 1 day. Needless to say I was charged for 3 days TWICE and it took 4 hours of my vacation time to fix this. I would not suggest them after what they put me through during my vacation, I used to stay at Best Western but will not anymore nor will I be using hotels.com.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

It will be a month that I reported a lost item from this hotel located in Virginia. Best Western Capital Beltway. I’m contacting you once again concerning my lost air mattress. I haven’t gotten a call or any other information from any of your house keeping managers. I believe if I haven’t been contacted by now the item was taken by one of your employees. It’s obvious and a shame that the person is not loyal or honest about property not belonging to them. Especially, as it reflects the service in your establishment.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

This Hotel literally stole $300 from us, we used Air Miles to book our accommodations and had a terrible checkout and when we got home we found there to be over $500 charged to our card from the Best Western Plus in Okotoks Alberta. The manager was rude and would not respond for the most part. There is another review of basically the same thing happening with another unlucky patron who stayed here on TripAdvisor, this Hotel should be held responsible!!! They stole our money and I will never ever stay in a Best Western again and I am doing my very best to tell everyone I know.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

The bed was comfy and the hotel was quiet and clean. Staff are very polite and accommodating. Location is perfect - close to everything. They allow animal companions. We left our dogs at home but a dog-friendly hotel is a plus. The location is safe, also.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

I didn't want to stay at BW but had no choice as all the other motels were booked. Walking in the room I saw bugs crawling up the walls, in the tub, on the floors. The floors were sticky so I took the towels and lined them to the bed so I could walk without my socks sticking. I started collecting the bugs in the plastic cups. I didn't take a shower as I couldn't wash all the bugs away. Since it was so late and I noticed the lobby clerk sitting outside smoking and I was very tired, I tried to sleep. Couldn't sleep with the thoughts of bugs all around. The small refrigerator kept making growling noises. It was horrible. The AM breakfast? was unattended except for the cowboy who drove in from the road, plated up, ate and left. There's no one around at the desk or anywhere. I'd rather sleep in my car than at another Best Western.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

The worst experience ever. I've booked a couple rooms at the Best Western in Deerfield Beach, FL and for the most part it has been okay. The guy who works at the front desk (Hector) is who ruined my experience. They offered me a free night based on my rewards points that I have accumulated over time. So I call trying to actually take advantage of my points, he's telling me I don't have points or a reservation in which I do and then quickly transfers me to customer service. Customer service then tries to get in contact with Hector at the hotel but no answer. Between the rep and I, we must've called 26 times but no answer.

So I head over to the hotel and Hector is nowhere to be found. I had to scream for assistance and then he appears. As I'm explaining the situation he just stands there with a smirk on his face and continuously tells me that I have to place another reservation and put more money down when everything was in place already. As I'm explaining the situation again he tells me that I have to talk to the manager who comes in at 7am and that I have to leave because I'm trespassing when I literally just checked out the same day. Hector is very unprofessional and does not need to be in customer service at all. Because of him, I will NEVER recommend a Best Western Hotel to anyone. EVER.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

Friendly Staff @ check-in. Friendly hotel employees. Will definitely stay again. They need more selections for their breakfast but everything else was good. Exceptional clean rooms!!! Hotel is in a good location.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

I felt the motel was out of date and very dirty. The parking lot was full but it was terrible compared to the others I've stay in recently. I stayed in Tupelo Best Western the night before. Although the room was updated and clean, the staff was literally pushing me out. I felt unappreciated and stressed out.

Best Western Hotels expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Best Western was founded in 1946, and by 1963 the member hotels comprised the largest motel chain in America with 699 hotels. The company’s headquarters are in Phoenix, and there are over 4,000 hotels associated with the company worldwide.

• Rewards program: Travelers can sign up for the free Best Western Rewards program and earn points towards free stays. There are five status levels for rewards members, but Best Western makes it easy for travelers to achieve an elite status. Though the Status Match… No Catch program, this chain will match travelers’ elite status in any competitor’s loyalty program.

• Special discounts: Members of AAA, CAA and AARP receive a discount when they book a room through the Best Western website and provide their membership information. Best Western Rewards members can get these discounts in addition to their rewards discount. Best Western has been named the AAA/CAA Partner of the Year every year since 2008.

• Team travel: Best Western’s Home Team Advantage program offers discounted group rates when traveling athletic teams book four or more rooms. The individual making the reservations can receive this discount by simply clicking Home Team Advantage when making the reservation on the Best Western website.

• Charitable activities: Best Western For A Better World is the company’s charitable program, which focuses on education, poverty and disaster relief. The education program offers scholarships to students studying for careers in the hospitality industry, and the poverty relief program partners with Kiva and World Vision to offer microfinancing to entrepreneurs in developing nations.

• Website: Travelers can easily book a room on the Best Western website, which has received gold in the Best of the Web Awards from Dynatrace every year since 2011. On the website, guests can quickly see room rates, special offers, hotel amenities and even whether or not a particular hotel is designated as environmentally friendly under national or local standards.

• Best for: Best Western offers deals to retirees, frequent travelers and large groups. Individual properties have different amenities, so the best way to see if the brand meets your need is by visiting the website.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs