2. Travel
  3. Airlines

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.26/5

Avianca Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avianca?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avianca?

Original review: March 21, 2020

I canceled our two tickets in January on their website. I had to contact them 30 days later when I never received the refund. I was asked for my bank acct info for direct deposit because I had booked through Priceline and could not get credit card refund. I gave it to them over a month ago, and still no refund deposited to my acct. They cannot say it got lost in the mail! So where is it? Base on other complaints I have seen, I wonder if I will ever get it!

Original review: March 16, 2020

Avianca is the worst airline ever and has a terrible customer service!! They let me wait for 2 hours 48 minutes on the phone today March 15, 2020. When, finally they answer I asked them to change my itinerary and they told me I have to pay $1,300 for the change when the airplane is basically empty. People is afraid to fly due the Coronavirus and Avianca is just expensive rip-off company. I will not recommend it to anyone. They had changed flights to us in the past with no reason and they never refund anything but when we need to change flights they just grossly overpriced. I hope they are not continue in business and people choose another airlines.

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2020

Second time flying Avianca and it is the worst airline ever when it comes to the culture of sneaking in to your pockets for more money and you will arrive 45 minutes to a flight and it is already closed. Just so convenient for them. Charge you another $750,000 for another flight. In my way back again they found a way to charge me for the luggage. That was ok at 12 kilograms before but now on my way back it wasn’t. There we go with another $139,000 for the luggage. It is a disgrace of a airline, poor customer service, and the people who attend you clearly show signs of enjoyment when they found a way of getting the money out of the customers. It is clearly a disgrace of a company.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

This is by far the most horrible experience ever. I had a trip scheduled and arrived 5 min later the scheduled time to check in. The lady at the Avianca counter was checking in others. However, when it was my turn to check in she didn’t even check my ticket or ask me anything and just say I’m not allowed to be there anymore. She said “there are no more trips, all the planes left at this moment”. I felt really discriminated and frustrated as a first time customer traveling with this airline and having such a negative experience with Avianca.

I called customer service and complained about this situation. After speaking to many customer service agents, nobody solved my issue. There was an agent who left me on hold for about 30 min and never came back to the phone. You think my time is a joke or I have time to fool around?... I called again and they couldn’t refund or reschedule my trip. I lasted about one hour and a half on the phone with one of the agents and there was no point because nothing was resolved. They ended up taking my money and expected me to pay a fee of more than $300. Are you kidding me?? It wasn’t even my fault. The lady at the counter checking in people and their customer service agents don’t have any customer skills, nobody here is helpful at all. They don’t care about you as a customer, it’s all about the money and fees. Avianca wants to take money away from customers just like that. I have to pay $991 for a new trip all thanks for listening to their employees. I’m never traveling with this airlines ever again!!! I’m learning from this experience. Worst!!!

Original review: Dec. 24, 2019

**Best Avoided** Note - we have only flown twice with Avianca and we are not fluent in Spanish. The costs mentioned are for two people. 1st Trip - 2nd portion delayed until next day. They did provide a hotel for the night. However we missed our $80 shuttle and the 1st day of our vacation ($$?). 2nd Trip - 1st portion delayed and type of plane changed last minute so we could not check baggage. We had to depose of personal items ($100?) that could not be in carry-on, The delay caused us to be late for the 2nd portion and miss our connecting train ($120) and so we had to arrange alternative transportation last minute (flights cost $520). We also missed 24 hrs of family time the day of Christmas Eve (priceless).

We interacted with perhaps 12 staff during our trip, asking for Avianca to change the final destination to where the train was intended to get us to. Two were sympathetic and the remaining ten were incapable or incompetent. They would tell us to stand in one line only to be later told that we had to go to another line until finally we had to catch our flight. Avianca will not take responsibility when they fail to fulfill the contract made when purchasing a ticket.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

I bought boyfriend his flight ticket to Madrid from Lima with my credit card. So we got the confirmation ticket and all. And when we went to the airport they told us he didn’t have a ticket that my card got rejected by the company (Avianca). But yet I still have it charged on my credit card. They said they emailed us to inform it was cancelled but we didn’t get anything. And I don’t get how it can be cancelled when we got like 3 confirmation emails, confirmation code and number plus the charge on my credit card since October. So they made us buy another ticket. We got that ticket since October for $450. Today was $725. And they just told me to handle it with my bank to give me my $400 back. But yet their airline is the one that charged. And to be grateful there was still tickets on that flight. -_-

Never fly with avianca! I called the called center and this is long distance from my phone (more money they are making me spend) and they all don't help at all and are rude! They just try to explain how the airline didn’t accept my payment yet charged me and it’s not their fault. Makes no sense. This is stealing! They ruined my last hours of vacations. My boyfriend and I hadn’t seen each other for a year and these were our last hours together since I live in USA and he lives in France. So instead Of enjoying our last minutes together we were extremely stressed.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2019

I take 6 flights every month. I use Avianca frequently but on most occasions they are late departure. I have missed several connections this year which has cost me additional for purchase of new flights, taxis and hotel rooms and more importantly missed meetings. I have sent several complaints (to lodge a complaint with avianca is not easy as the process seems designed to put you off) with initial replies saying avianca don’t reimburse as it’s not their fault. Now they don’t reply. Last week I flew from Barranquilla to Buenos Aires. I booked the earlier 4pm flight “just in case” and yes it departed 1 hour 40 minutes late. Which meant again I had to run through Bogota airport to passport control and to the gate. I get there, then receive an email advising this flight is delayed. Again I get to Buenos Aires late, miss my connection then have to take the 1 hour taxi to another airport to get the next Aerolineas Argentina flight.

However, when we landed late in Bogota we had no gate, so again it’s on the bus to the terminal. Whilst waiting for the other passengers I see an engineer inspect the aircraft. He was using his cell phone light to inspect the turbine. I videod this as I couldn’t believe it and sure others won’t believe it. It doesn’t surprise me I suppose. if leadership are tolerant of shoddy service it’s likely to flow to every other department. I detest avianca. Yes I’m a diamond member but use this airline as my schedule forces me to. I have burnt up many $ with this airline, they owe me $3200 for months and say it will be returned soon, but if not here is your case number just in case it doesn’t. Worst airline ever. I suggest to anyone considering using avianca make it your last option.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

I have purchased a ticket online. As I completed my booking by choosing the destination (Lima - Cusco) and dates of travel (1st of November 2019), completed the payment entering my credit card details. Instead of receiving a reservation code and the ticket, I waited for hours looking at the screen reflecting message "Processing your request". I have not received an email or reference code or ticket number. Without this information there is no way for me to follow up with my booking and payment done. I am passionate traveler and purchased numerous tickets but I have never come across this badly managed service. Travelers are to be made aware of this. Companies providing this kind of service must be banned.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

We had booked a roundtrip between São Paulo and Miami stopping at Lima, Peru. On the return leg from Miami to São Paulo, I had the WORST experience of my life! I arrived at the airport at 1 pm. The plane leaves at 4:15 pm to Lima. I ended up being in line for more than 1 hour! Then, when called for check-in, the attendant took my passport and after some minutes went away. My wife and I stood there for more than half an hour doing NOTHING! I ended up going towards the coordinator attendant that was assisting other passengers. It is THEN and by doing this that I found out that my flight was Oversold and we did not have seats available in the flight! In other words, I purchased the ticket on February 2019, I arrived at the airport early to do some shopping at Duty-Free stores, and I ended up living the worst experience of my life in travel.

After more than 2 hours the coordinator attendant offered me 2 options to fly to Brasil. One is via Houston arriving in Brasil 5 hours later than original flight and one was via Bogota, sleeping in Bogota and then fly to Brasil next day. None of these 2 options were good for me because I had to be in SP for a meeting next day. After spending more and more and more time there in the check-in area, I ended up being Upset because of this situation. I had the same situation with American Airlines 7 years ago, but the treatment was totally different. I was offered business class seats because the fault is not mine and VIP access to the lounge, security, and boarding areas. Avianca did NOT offer me ANY OF THIS! Nothing. Only wasted time and deeply disappointed.

At the very last end, I got 2 seats close the end of the plane which were WORSE than the seats I reserved back in February. Business-class was not full. In the flight to Sao Paulo, Business Class had many seats available! Nothing was offered to me and my wife. To make things even more stressful, my luggage cover was stolen! I file a complaint in Sao Paulo Airport when arrived and I was told that since it is "an accessory", Avianca cannot provide any solution. Yes, it is an accessory from a suitcase that is supposed to be 100% of the time with Avianca personel! To be clear here, I WILL NEVER EVER FLY AVIANCA ANYMORE IN MY LIFE. EVEN IF THE FLIGHT IS FOR FREE. I WILL NEVER EVER FORGET THIS EXPERIENCE.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

Avianca worst airline ever! First off they double charge me for my ticket, no refund! Then the plane leaves before scheduled time!! Avianca won't offer to put me on flight that same day. I had to book with another airline for 4 times what I paid for the initial flight. It is a shame I have to give them a one-star. They deserve less than zero! DON'T FLY WITH THIS AIRLINE!!

Avianca Company Information