3.6/5 (224 ratings)

About Avianca

Avianca Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avianca?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avianca?

Original review: Jan. 21, 2022

I called your contact centre at 10:48 AM est and waited on the phone for over 1 hour to speak to agent. I explained that I would like to change our family's flight from San Cristobal to Guayaquil Ecuador to depart from Baltra Island instead. The agent searched for the fares and put me on hold for 20 minutes let me know that the cost difference would be approx $58 per person. I agreed to pay and needed my name, address, phone number, birthdates, passport information, spelling of all passengers. After I shared this, she proceeded to transfer me to the telephone queue where I was to insert my credit card information. After inputting my credit card, the system disconnected me. I lost over 1 and a half hours of my time on this call.

I then called back at 12:29 pm and again had to wait over a one (1) hour to speak to an agent. An agent took my call and then she put me on hold and then disconnected me!! I called a THIRD time and waited for another hour to finally speak to an agent, named Jose who helped me. He processed my request and transferred me to the queue to insert my credit card information. I had to repeat everything that I had the first time, my name, address, phone number, birthdates, passport information, spelling of all passengers. I inputted my credit card into the system and Jose came back to the phone and asked me the hold while he processed my information. He put me on hold for another 35 minutes! When he came back on the call, he hung up on me. I still don't have a confirmed ticket even though I paid for it.

Their contact centre systems do not seem to be integrated and the reps have very little authority to help. I have been transferred to website/online agents who needed to transfer me back to 'sales' agents to help me with the same ticket issue. Each time I was transferred, I had to wait in queue for over 45 minutes each time. SO FRUSTRATING!!

Original review: Dec. 18, 2021

My husband & I flew to Honduras to help with the children's rescue mission for 10 days. 2 days before our flight home my husband received an email stating the airport had been changed.. A an hour further away. So like any normal person he called the airline. All numbers provided did not work (yes he dialed 00 or 01 or whatever they provided). He had been on the phone for at least 3 hours with no progress, so I checked their "What's app text" and got a number that just kept rambling the same recorded message, most times disconnecting me within 15 minutes on hold. I finally got a hold of someone, gave the phone to my husband and they talked for an hour before getting disconnected.

By the way originally we had 1st class tickets on our flights home. They told him we had economy tickets on our new flight and if we wanted to sit together it would be an extra $5 each but they weren't going to charge us for changing airports???? WTF!! We didn't change airports, they did! And it cost us $160 usd to check our 2 bags. We got to San Salvador, went to immigration where they asked us if we had our tax receipts from Avianca. Of course we had no idea what they were talking about. So we had to get out of line, walk across the airport to the avianca gate (at the end of their terminal) so we could get a piece of paper stamped and then go back to immigration because avianca didn't provide us with this.

All flights no beverage service, snack or food. We got on our flight this morning hungry and ready for coffee and a meal in first class but was offered water, coffee or warm coca cola (no other choices, no ice). Because of covid they want to keep you safe. Great!! 3 rows on right, 3 rows on the left can get off the plane, next 10 rows on right, next 10 rows on left, ok now everyone else.... Like what the heck!! I don't get what they are doing! Making stuff up. Oh my gosh. Ugggh. I don't want to sound snooty but... There is no priority line. There is no benefit to paying 3 times the amount of an economy seat. Never again Avianca! Never again!

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2021

My father is flying my mother's remains back home to Costa Rica. Unfortunately, this airline has shamelessly price gouged him. There were some delays on this end due to Covid that were out of his control. His flight was approximately $490 and he had to make a change fee that the airline said was unavoidable. The EXACT SAME TICKET is now valued at $166 and Avianca is essentially saying it doesn't matter. So at this time, he has paid $690 for a ticket that is being currently advertised for $166 (including fees).

After waiting for 30 minutes on the phone, the "supervisor" tried to talk over me and ramble about how there is nothing that can be done and any changes would incur more fees. If he were to fly on a date closer to his original flight plan, the new charge would be an additional $200--making his grand total $890. A brand new ticket is $166. This airline is abusing an old man and hiding behind policies. Supervisors refuse to help and offer empty apologies. Managers are unavailable. No one wants to help or accept any sort of duty to attempt to rectify the situation. Shame on your company. I will advise my entire family locally and abroad to NEVER fly your airline--unless they want to be mistreated.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2021

I search for a flight and the website give me an error and it display a message to try again, same flight, dates ETC 100 dollars more per person and it was 3 of us flighting. Not a good company to trust and do business with.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2021

On July 8th, I filed for a refund for an amount of $1,321 USD on a flight I had bought the same date for work. I requested a refund due to the amount coming up to this amount of money for a one-way flight. I was notified of the amount by my bank's app notification. According to Avianca's website, their policy says "After filing the application with the financial institution issuing the electronic payment instrument used, Avianca and the issuing financial institution shall have a period of fifteen (15) working days to implement the reversal, if applicable." It will be 4 months on November 8th, 2021. I have called a vast amount of times, with them resorting to escalating the issue. I have not heard *anything* from *anybody*. I am aware there hundreds of lawsuits due to this situation. Their excuse is Covid. I suggest they either change their policy on their website or that they pay their customers. This has been a terrible experience and I will never fly with Avianca, ever.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2021

Refused to refund our cancelled flights despite it being the law. After a year of trying to get refund they have told the travel agent they’ve refunded the flight so they can’t take any more action but told us they haven’t refunded them and to speak to travel agent. Essentially just stole best part of £1000.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

UATP card. I am very upset with the quality of service from your airline. At approximately 10:00 pm on 10/5/2021 I attempted to purchase a ticket using the newly issued UATP card mentioned above via online. However, since the ticket price was higher than the original purchase I was not able to make the purchase online. I called Avianca a total of 3 times after that. The first time a man answered and offered to transfer my call to be able to make the purchase with 2 forms of payment. I was on hold for a long time and when someone finally answered the call hung up on Avianca's end.

The second time I called I was told that I was given the wrong information and could only purchase using a travel agent. Unsure whether one agent was correct in comparison to the other I called a 3rd time. I believe I happened to get the same agent from the 2nd call. She claimed it was not her but I'm pretty sure it was because of the same voice tone. She told me the same thing as before that I could only go to a travel agent. I think the card is much more inconvenient than using the voucher. I know this first hand because my wife used her voucher and was able to pay the difference with an agent on the phone through Avianca. Your company is making it more difficult for the customer to redeem that credit.

When I first tried to purchase a ticket about 2 weeks ago the same ticket was $80 cheaper. I was not able to purchase it with a card on the day of I wanted to purchase it because I was told it would take 11 days to receive this card via email. Your representative today informed me that there are no supervisors working and I would need to call back at 6 am. She also told me that besides that the supervisor would tell me the same information. Your representative was of no help and lacked the effort to problem-solve for me. She did not know what the term 'customer service' meant. I will not blame her too much because your company is the one who trained her. I also am blaming your company for trying to rob customers of their hard earn money. I am also blaming your company of robbing valuable time from customers trying to redeem a voucher/card. Many on hold times and many hours wasted.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

I have been trying to book my flight with Avianca for 1 week. Finally through their Whatsapp help option they sent a separate link and I booked my flight but the payment status said "being validated". I called my bank and there was no attempted charge. I called Avianca and they said the reservation was cancelled. If I didn't call Avianca I would have not known my reservation was cancelled. I was referred back to the website to book...but website was not working. The Avianca rep said he can help to book it but for $30 per passenger. So the customer has to pay more money for their website not working. I asked for the supervisor's name and he mentioned they can't give that information.

I was finally able to speak to the supervisor who was hesitant in providing her name and refused to provide her supervisor/manager name. The supervisor explained that they can not provide supervisor or manager names, company rule. I asked if the supervisor can help me book and waive the $30 per passenger fee since their website is not working and they cancelled my reservation without notifying me. NO HELP! I'm not sure if it's incompetency but definitely lack of training to trouble shoot and most definitely a lack of care for customer services. If you want great customer service DO NOT USE AVIANCA.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2021

Their website doesn't work. It's impossible to cancel a ticket, it's no use sending an email, getting in touch by phone, or WhatsApp, they'll disappear with your money. Inflight service is a joke. I do not recommend. I never travel from Avianca again in my life.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2021

The selection of available flights to book with Lifemiles has become minuscule -- in many cases I can't find any flights on Lifemiles, thought flights show as available with Air Canada and United miles. I foolishly bought 245,000 miles just before Covid hit -- worst investment of my life.

Avianca Company Information