2. Travel
  3. Airlines

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.24/5

Avianca Reviews

Original review: Dec. 24, 2019

**Best Avoided** Note - we have only flown twice with Avianca and we are not fluent in Spanish. The costs mentioned are for two people. 1st Trip - 2nd portion delayed until next day. They did provide a hotel for the night. However we missed our $80 shuttle and the 1st day of our vacation ($$?). 2nd Trip - 1st portion delayed and type of plane changed last minute so we could not check baggage. We had to depose of personal items ($100?) that could not be in carry-on, The delay caused us to be late for the 2nd portion and miss our connecting train ($120) and so we had to arrange alternative transportation last minute (flights cost $520). We also missed 24 hrs of family time the day of Christmas Eve (priceless).

We interacted with perhaps 12 staff during our trip, asking for Avianca to change the final destination to where the train was intended to get us to. Two were sympathetic and the remaining ten were incapable or incompetent. They would tell us to stand in one line only to be later told that we had to go to another line until finally we had to catch our flight. Avianca will not take responsibility when they fail to fulfill the contract made when purchasing a ticket.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

I bought boyfriend his flight ticket to Madrid from Lima with my credit card. So we got the confirmation ticket and all. And when we went to the airport they told us he didn’t have a ticket that my card got rejected by the company (Avianca). But yet I still have it charged on my credit card. They said they emailed us to inform it was cancelled but we didn’t get anything. And I don’t get how it can be cancelled when we got like 3 confirmation emails, confirmation code and number plus the charge on my credit card since October. So they made us buy another ticket. We got that ticket since October for $450. Today was $725. And they just told me to handle it with my bank to give me my $400 back. But yet their airline is the one that charged. And to be grateful there was still tickets on that flight. -_-

Never fly with avianca! I called the called center and this is long distance from my phone (more money they are making me spend) and they all don't help at all and are rude! They just try to explain how the airline didn’t accept my payment yet charged me and it’s not their fault. Makes no sense. This is stealing! They ruined my last hours of vacations. My boyfriend and I hadn’t seen each other for a year and these were our last hours together since I live in USA and he lives in France. So instead Of enjoying our last minutes together we were extremely stressed.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2019

I take 6 flights every month. I use Avianca frequently but on most occasions they are late departure. I have missed several connections this year which has cost me additional for purchase of new flights, taxis and hotel rooms and more importantly missed meetings. I have sent several complaints (to lodge a complaint with avianca is not easy as the process seems designed to put you off) with initial replies saying avianca don’t reimburse as it’s not their fault. Now they don’t reply. Last week I flew from Barranquilla to Buenos Aires. I booked the earlier 4pm flight “just in case” and yes it departed 1 hour 40 minutes late. Which meant again I had to run through Bogota airport to passport control and to the gate. I get there, then receive an email advising this flight is delayed. Again I get to Buenos Aires late, miss my connection then have to take the 1 hour taxi to another airport to get the next Aerolineas Argentina flight.

However, when we landed late in Bogota we had no gate, so again it’s on the bus to the terminal. Whilst waiting for the other passengers I see an engineer inspect the aircraft. He was using his cell phone light to inspect the turbine. I videod this as I couldn’t believe it and sure others won’t believe it. It doesn’t surprise me I suppose. if leadership are tolerant of shoddy service it’s likely to flow to every other department. I detest avianca. Yes I’m a diamond member but use this airline as my schedule forces me to. I have burnt up many $ with this airline, they owe me $3200 for months and say it will be returned soon, but if not here is your case number just in case it doesn’t. Worst airline ever. I suggest to anyone considering using avianca make it your last option.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

I have purchased a ticket online. As I completed my booking by choosing the destination (Lima - Cusco) and dates of travel (1st of November 2019), completed the payment entering my credit card details. Instead of receiving a reservation code and the ticket, I waited for hours looking at the screen reflecting message "Processing your request". I have not received an email or reference code or ticket number. Without this information there is no way for me to follow up with my booking and payment done. I am passionate traveler and purchased numerous tickets but I have never come across this badly managed service. Travelers are to be made aware of this. Companies providing this kind of service must be banned.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

We had booked a roundtrip between São Paulo and Miami stopping at Lima, Peru. On the return leg from Miami to São Paulo, I had the WORST experience of my life! I arrived at the airport at 1 pm. The plane leaves at 4:15 pm to Lima. I ended up being in line for more than 1 hour! Then, when called for check-in, the attendant took my passport and after some minutes went away. My wife and I stood there for more than half an hour doing NOTHING! I ended up going towards the coordinator attendant that was assisting other passengers. It is THEN and by doing this that I found out that my flight was Oversold and we did not have seats available in the flight! In other words, I purchased the ticket on February 2019, I arrived at the airport early to do some shopping at Duty-Free stores, and I ended up living the worst experience of my life in travel.

After more than 2 hours the coordinator attendant offered me 2 options to fly to Brasil. One is via Houston arriving in Brasil 5 hours later than original flight and one was via Bogota, sleeping in Bogota and then fly to Brasil next day. None of these 2 options were good for me because I had to be in SP for a meeting next day. After spending more and more and more time there in the check-in area, I ended up being Upset because of this situation. I had the same situation with American Airlines 7 years ago, but the treatment was totally different. I was offered business class seats because the fault is not mine and VIP access to the lounge, security, and boarding areas. Avianca did NOT offer me ANY OF THIS! Nothing. Only wasted time and deeply disappointed.

At the very last end, I got 2 seats close the end of the plane which were WORSE than the seats I reserved back in February. Business-class was not full. In the flight to Sao Paulo, Business Class had many seats available! Nothing was offered to me and my wife. To make things even more stressful, my luggage cover was stolen! I file a complaint in Sao Paulo Airport when arrived and I was told that since it is "an accessory", Avianca cannot provide any solution. Yes, it is an accessory from a suitcase that is supposed to be 100% of the time with Avianca personel! To be clear here, I WILL NEVER EVER FLY AVIANCA ANYMORE IN MY LIFE. EVEN IF THE FLIGHT IS FOR FREE. I WILL NEVER EVER FORGET THIS EXPERIENCE.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avianca?

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

Avianca worst airline ever! First off they double charge me for my ticket, no refund! Then the plane leaves before scheduled time!! Avianca won't offer to put me on flight that same day. I had to book with another airline for 4 times what I paid for the initial flight. It is a shame I have to give them a one-star. They deserve less than zero! DON'T FLY WITH THIS AIRLINE!!

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

We had booked a simple roundtrip between Lima, Peru and Cusco. On the return leg, after waiting at the gate with a full flight's worth of passengers, it was peremptorily announced that the flight was cancelled and that we would have to retrieve our luggage and rebook another flight. As we needed to be in Lima that afternoon to return home, we booked a flight on another airline. Bad enough - but things happen. Upon our return, we applied to Avianca for a refund of half our ticket. Not only is their website impenetrable for this, but here we are, over two months and a dozen emails later, including multiple requests for information which we supplied and re-supplied, and we finally got a response that the case has been resolved - but without any refund. This combination of incompetence and obliviousness shows the low esteem they have for their customers. Stay away!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

Terrible customer service. I went online to purchase a ticket and chose the dates of travel, typed in passenger name, and my email...clicked to submit and continue to payment page but instead the page gave me a reservation code and 2 or 3 sentences that said the reservation was being processed and I had to wait 8 hours to receive an email to continue the reservation process (make payment). I've bought a lot of flight tickets in the past and have never come across this -- this isn't normal.

When I called the customer service phone number, the lady did not care that I had a reservation code and wanted to sell me another ticket under the guise of "I can check if the seat is still available and if it is the same price..." but before she can do that, she needs to open a new customer profile for me and for that she needs my identification document numbers like my driver's license. I ask her if she can just tell me the price of the ticket and if there are seats available without doing that and she says she can't until I give her my passport or driver license number and that I should not worry because she doesn't even have a pencil and she's not going to steal my information. Yeeeah right! That's BS but I said to her "ok, but no thank you," and she got angry at me.

After reading all the complaints here, I'm glad I'm not giving these people a penny. Everyone else who has been taken by this company, hire a class action attorney in the US and sue them. I can assure you that you will find people ready to join and sue them for fraudulent business practices and if you have the sad experience of having to speak with them in person, record them with your cell phone. Post it on Facebook/Youtube/Twitter and keep it as evidence. Good luck to you all, thanks for posting your awful experiences, more people need to be aware.

Original review: July 15, 2019

So July 13th 2019 I flew business class from LAX to Lima, Peru. The service was horrible, no different from coach. I actually would have preferred to be in coach. There was a male flight attendant that kept the opening the shutters to the front and letting bright light right on my face, now I know that is their job to go in there and get things for the whatever the reason, but he would go in there and leave them open, so I finally asked him if he could please take the time to close them since the light was bothering me. Of course he got a snappy attitude with me and pretty much told me to deal with it. Now keep in mind I'm in my 70's... like I said, horrible service Avianca. Expected much more, never again.

Original review: June 11, 2019

Don't even think to fly with Avianca, worst airline that ever flight. Since we bought the tickets they start making changes. They call at last minute to tell us about a change because of the weather. When I said them I was traveling from PA in we already in NY, they said come to the airport and we talk. Now they tell me we going to travel at the time that was supposed to be. That's a big lie. The truth they overrule the tickets and need extra space. First and last time I travel with them, I learn my lesson. Don't allow this to happen to you. Learn from my experience and don't flight with them.

Not sure about Avianca?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Airlines for you.

Avianca Company Information