3.34/5

Looking for a travel site?

Avianca

Looking for a travel site?

Avianca Reviews

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

I have purchased a ticket online. As I completed my booking by choosing the destination (Lima - Cusco) and dates of travel (1st of November 2019), completed the payment entering my credit card details. Instead of receiving a reservation code and the ticket, I waited for hours looking at the screen reflecting message "Processing your request". I have not received an email or reference code or ticket number. Without this information there is no way for me to follow up with my booking and payment done. I am passionate traveler and purchased numerous tickets but I have never come across this badly managed service. Travelers are to be made aware of this. Companies providing this kind of service must be banned.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

We had booked a roundtrip between São Paulo and Miami stopping at Lima, Peru. On the return leg from Miami to São Paulo, I had the WORST experience of my life! I arrived at the airport at 1 pm. The plane leaves at 4:15 pm to Lima. I ended up being in line for more than 1 hour! Then, when called for check-in, the attendant took my passport and after some minutes went away. My wife and I stood there for more than half an hour doing NOTHING! I ended up going towards the coordinator attendant that was assisting other passengers. It is THEN and by doing this that I found out that my flight was Oversold and we did not have seats available in the flight! In other words, I purchased the ticket on February 2019, I arrived at the airport early to do some shopping at Duty-Free stores, and I ended up living the worst experience of my life in travel.

After more than 2 hours the coordinator attendant offered me 2 options to fly to Brasil. One is via Houston arriving in Brasil 5 hours later than original flight and one was via Bogota, sleeping in Bogota and then fly to Brasil next day. None of these 2 options were good for me because I had to be in SP for a meeting next day. After spending more and more and more time there in the check-in area, I ended up being Upset because of this situation. I had the same situation with American Airlines 7 years ago, but the treatment was totally different. I was offered business class seats because the fault is not mine and VIP access to the lounge, security, and boarding areas. Avianca did NOT offer me ANY OF THIS! Nothing. Only wasted time and deeply disappointed.

At the very last end, I got 2 seats close the end of the plane which were WORSE than the seats I reserved back in February. Business-class was not full. In the flight to Sao Paulo, Business Class had many seats available! Nothing was offered to me and my wife. To make things even more stressful, my luggage cover was stolen! I file a complaint in Sao Paulo Airport when arrived and I was told that since it is "an accessory", Avianca cannot provide any solution. Yes, it is an accessory from a suitcase that is supposed to be 100% of the time with Avianca personel! To be clear here, I WILL NEVER EVER FLY AVIANCA ANYMORE IN MY LIFE. EVEN IF THE FLIGHT IS FOR FREE. I WILL NEVER EVER FORGET THIS EXPERIENCE.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

Avianca worst airline ever! First off they double charge me for my ticket, no refund! Then the plane leaves before scheduled time!! Avianca won't offer to put me on flight that same day. I had to book with another airline for 4 times what I paid for the initial flight. It is a shame I have to give them a one-star. They deserve less than zero! DON'T FLY WITH THIS AIRLINE!!

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

We had booked a simple roundtrip between Lima, Peru and Cusco. On the return leg, after waiting at the gate with a full flight's worth of passengers, it was peremptorily announced that the flight was cancelled and that we would have to retrieve our luggage and rebook another flight. As we needed to be in Lima that afternoon to return home, we booked a flight on another airline. Bad enough - but things happen. Upon our return, we applied to Avianca for a refund of half our ticket. Not only is their website impenetrable for this, but here we are, over two months and a dozen emails later, including multiple requests for information which we supplied and re-supplied, and we finally got a response that the case has been resolved - but without any refund. This combination of incompetence and obliviousness shows the low esteem they have for their customers. Stay away!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

Terrible customer service. I went online to purchase a ticket and chose the dates of travel, typed in passenger name, and my email...clicked to submit and continue to payment page but instead the page gave me a reservation code and 2 or 3 sentences that said the reservation was being processed and I had to wait 8 hours to receive an email to continue the reservation process (make payment). I've bought a lot of flight tickets in the past and have never come across this -- this isn't normal.

When I called the customer service phone number, the lady did not care that I had a reservation code and wanted to sell me another ticket under the guise of "I can check if the seat is still available and if it is the same price..." but before she can do that, she needs to open a new customer profile for me and for that she needs my identification document numbers like my driver's license. I ask her if she can just tell me the price of the ticket and if there are seats available without doing that and she says she can't until I give her my passport or driver license number and that I should not worry because she doesn't even have a pencil and she's not going to steal my information. Yeeeah right! That's BS but I said to her "ok, but no thank you," and she got angry at me.

After reading all the complaints here, I'm glad I'm not giving these people a penny. Everyone else who has been taken by this company, hire a class action attorney in the US and sue them. I can assure you that you will find people ready to join and sue them for fraudulent business practices and if you have the sad experience of having to speak with them in person, record them with your cell phone. Post it on Facebook/Youtube/Twitter and keep it as evidence. Good luck to you all, thanks for posting your awful experiences, more people need to be aware.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avianca?

Original review: July 15, 2019

So July 13th 2019 I flew business class from LAX to Lima, Peru. The service was horrible, no different from coach. I actually would have preferred to be in coach. There was a male flight attendant that kept the opening the shutters to the front and letting bright light right on my face, now I know that is their job to go in there and get things for the whatever the reason, but he would go in there and leave them open, so I finally asked him if he could please take the time to close them since the light was bothering me. Of course he got a snappy attitude with me and pretty much told me to deal with it. Now keep in mind I'm in my 70's... like I said, horrible service Avianca. Expected much more, never again.

Original review: June 11, 2019

Don't even think to fly with Avianca, worst airline that ever flight. Since we bought the tickets they start making changes. They call at last minute to tell us about a change because of the weather. When I said them I was traveling from PA in we already in NY, they said come to the airport and we talk. Now they tell me we going to travel at the time that was supposed to be. That's a big lie. The truth they overrule the tickets and need extra space. First and last time I travel with them, I learn my lesson. Don't allow this to happen to you. Learn from my experience and don't flight with them.

Original review: May 16, 2019

For 5 months I'm waiting on a refund. I paid my tickets in Curacao office. When the refund was approved they can not send my payment back due they do not know how to send money back to a normal current bank account number. Spoken with a Supervisor but still they not know how I can get my money. I needed to get a proof of my bank that it was my bank account where the money has to be refunded on. After this process I send in all my bank details and the letter and still they cannot process this. The Agent Paola Cristina **, Monique ** are handling this case but they do not no a update. They are still sending email refund is processed. When I check my account there is no refund. I asked to get a Manager or a legal dept to help me with this issue but still no Feedback. When you call I get stories that are not adding up. Meanwhile 5 months later no refund no help!!!! So please do not book a Flight with Avianca.

Original review: May 14, 2019

Let me start by saying that I had a horrible experience with Avianca. It was my first time flying and unless I get this issue resolved it will for sure be the last. I bought a ticket in November through the Avianca website https://www.avianca.com/us/en/. My ticket had to be changed several times due to flights being cancelled and we even had to switch cities/airports in order to get to our destination. All the changes took a very long time to resolve because when I called Avianca they told me I had to call Avianca Brazil because they were the ones that changed the flights, when I called Avianca Brazil they told me I had to call Avianca because I had purchased the tickets through them. I had to call both several times until someone finally helped me (for the record it was Avianca’s responsibility because they sold me the tickets).

The day before my return flight (I had been checking every day if my flight hadn’t been cancelled) I tried doing our check in online but the system wouldn’t let me. When I arrived at the airport I was informed that the flight was full and I could not board. There were also no other flights on that date and they were unwilling to accommodate us on any other airlines even though the other airlines had tickets available. They also informed us that they couldn’t guarantee tickets for us on our connecting flights if we missed them.

We ended up having to purchase 3 very expensive last minute tickets to get from FLN to GRU in order to get on our international flights. Avianca didn’t even try to accommodate us on this other airline even though we repeatedly asked them to and informed them that there were seats available. My tickets ended up costing almost twice as much because Avianca wouldn’t let us board that first flight. I would like to get reimbursed the $1,164.84 that I had to pay for 3 tickets from FLN to GRU on LATAM on April 20.

Original review: May 7, 2019

They will destroy your property and will refuse responsibility, they will make you lose your connecting flights and you will lose your fully -non refundable- car rental reservations, they will make you lose any tickets to whatever event you have had planning, and they will not lift a finger about it. All they do is refuse, refuse and keep silent. You cant trust them.

Avianca Company Information