2.95/5

155 Avianca Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 20, 2019

I cancelled my flight with online chat team. They emailed me saying I needed to fill out the online request form: **. My ticket number: **. I called the call centre and they said they can not view any of my details in the database system. I am very dissatisfied with the service of this airline and I just want my refund of $550 returned to me. Can you please contact me as soon possible on ** to resolve this matter. Complaint case study number: **. Thanks in advance. Kind Regards, Holly-Ann **

Original review: April 3, 2019

I had a flight scheduled on business class from BOS to BOG RT for May of this year and Avianca changed both my departure and return flights. I purchased this with credit card points. They changed my return flight by 4 days and were unable to book anything on the original return dates of my flight. They told me someone "made a mistake" on their end and that I should now "request a refund" on their site. This process, they tell me, can take >30 days and my new flight costs double the original - I have to use cash to purchase these tickets (hopefully I get my credit card points back someday). My credit card company tells me they have never worked with an airline has such insane refund policies - especially when the airline made the mistake themselves.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 31, 2019

I had a round trip flight booked from Boston, MA, USA to San Jose, Costa Rica with a short layover in San Salvador, El Salvador. Yesterday, I received an email that all legs of my flight were cancelled due to "unforeseen circumstances". When I called customer service, my only options were to move my travel dates or request a refund. We have already paid for housing, transportation, excursions so moving my travel dates was not an option so I requested a full refund. Customer service was very nice but they too had no explanation for the flight cancellation. This cancellation happened 3 months before my trip. I booked with Avianca Airlines because they offered the best pricing and schedule for my departure and landing. Now, I am forced to rebook my trip with current prices $300+ more round trip. Very upset and this ruins my overall trip budget!

Original review: March 28, 2019

Like everyone else I too have been screwed by Avianca and their prejudice towards Americans. Delayed my 8:15 flight with NO explanation given from Manta to Quito causing me to miss my 12:04 AM flight from Quito to Miami. While I listened to Avianca agent talking to her supervisor I heard her mention Americano several times, apparently, the supervisor was asking my nationality. Once it was made clear I was American, her Supervisor told her there is nothing they can do for me. Furthermore, I had to pay $278 for another roundtrip ticket to go back to my home in Manta since American Airlines could not arrange a flight for me until 4 days later.

Original review: March 11, 2019

My experience with this airline it’s the worst ever. I booked a round trip from Chicago to Guayaquil and to began the flight was delayed from Chicago one hour and a half. However when we arrived to Bogota the airline was never aware of the delay and I had to run with my 70 year old mom to the other side of the airport because otherwise we wouldn’t be able to make it to the gate. (By the way they never provide a gate number, I had to figured out in my own). Either way we were able to make it to the flight but when we arrived in Guayaquil our luggage never did. I had to wait until next day and because of my onsite se that I was able to pick up my luggage after a series of difficulties presented by Avianca personal el Guayaquil.

Now leaving today from Guayaquil today on March 11 2019 my flight arrived in Bogota by 1130 and since my mom had a wheelchair assistance they took 45 min before they get us to the conexión gate, however by then it was really late even that the wheelchair assistant notified them that we were going to Chicago to which the person at the desk responded that the flight was delay and that we were still on time to make it to the flight. It took us ten minutes to make it to the gate but by then they closed the doors even that they were notified that we were coming.

This airline is the worst I ever had especially their customer service. They don’t really look after their travelers who are the ones who pay their salaries but either nobody cares or they just don’t have a real customer service training. Based on the experience I will never flight with this airline but the most important thing is that I will never recommend to anyone even if the price could be tempting... It’s not worth it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avianca?

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

I had a non-stop round trip reservation Boston-Bogota-Boston. Yesterday I was informed by United Airlines (I am a frequent flyer member and purchased this ticket through them) that Avianca decided to cancel my non-stop Bogota-Boston, and instead put me on a 1-stop flight. here are my reasons for this 1-star review: My original flight time was departing Bogota at 1:15 pm arriving nonstop to Boston at 8:21 pm. Perfect time for me to get up in the morning and for my wife to pick me up in the evening form the airport. THAT IS WHY I SELECTED AND PAID FOR THIS RESERVATION!!!

Avianca rescheduled me on a flight departing 4:59 am with a 50 min plane change stop in none other than El Salvador. Not only that it would have just given me 50 min to change planes, something that I will never schedule as you risk missing your connecting flight, but this would have automatically increased the chances for my bag to suddenly disappear and never make it to Boston. This is an itinerary I would never choose on my own.

Who knows if tomorrow or next week, Avianca decides to also change my non-stop flight Boston-Bogota. I won't take that risk. I guess Avianca is very good at taking reservations, but very bad at what is more important, that actual holding of the reservations. Avianca should have reached out to me directly to offer me something to compensate me for their incompetence, or at least an apology, as they rescheduled me on a very crappy flight. I would still have canceled the whole reservation and re-booked it with a different airline, but at least I won't be writing this review.

It is one thing that I decide to take my own risks and bring discomfort on to myself, but it is a different story if those risks and discomforts are imposed onto me by someone else. I will not allow that! I am a paying customer, not a beggar. I canceled my reservation all together through United and got a 100% refund. I used Avianca about 12 years ago. Not a good experience either as the seats were pure wood with just a liner, there was no padding at all. I only thought of using Aviance this time because of the convenience of their non-stop flights... so much for that! Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

The Worst line ever, after their website did not provide a purchase confirmation, we bought the same ticket twice (same hour, date, destination), and they denied the refund and credit the money and we were supposed to use the ticket to travel to Guatemala. Now that we have called several times to their call center, they find only half of the ticket to Guatemala. They made a mistake at the airport and have us as we use the ticket but we were never aboard. They want to charge us fees for change the flight when we never change it. We are not able to use the same tickets twice! They still have almost $1000 for tickets and they do not reimburse any money! Their call center is the worst ever. No one is able to solve anything!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

I was thinking of flying on Avianca, but after my conversation with a CSR and reading all the reviews, I will not. Considering all the horrible things said about the actually flying experience, I'm lucky I never got that far. I was at their website trying to decide if I was going to book my flight from NYC to Sao Paulo, but could not find ANY information about what the seating was like in business promo versus economy or business. First I scoured the site, but there was literally NO information. Then I tried a chat, but that person could only help with website questions.

Then I call CS and was told that without setting up a profile and giving them all my personal information, she could not give me any information...and I mean NOTHING. I asked if she could tell me if meals and drinks were included and she said she couldn't tell me anything without first setting up my profile and getting my personal information. Told her that was too bad and they had just lost a potential customer and that I would never fly with them. Now I've read the other reviews, I'm so glad I did.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

We boarded the plane and after sitting about an hour the pilot announced there would be a delay because they could not start the engines. It was very hot and stuffy on the plane as the air conditioners were not working. The flight attendants disappeared... They were hiding somewhere... After a few hours people literally stood up and began chanting "Open the door! Open the door!". They eventually let us off the plane, and after re-boarding they made us sit there for another hour because of a "...delay in authorization to take off". As a result of the 4+ hour delay we missed our connection flight and were stranded in Lima. We went to the Avianca ticket counter and asked if they could help us as we were stranded.

The Woman at the counter was extremely rude. When we asked for help she didn't say anything, just looked annoyed and grabbed a pad of complaint forms from a cabinet, threw it on the counter and walked away. Literally...just took off...went to lunch or something. We could not read the form because it was all in Spanish. End result...we had to get a hotel and buy new tickets out of Lima costing us ~$1200.00 and two days of our vacation. My advice...STAY AWAY from this airline if you have a choice.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

There are 2 types of companies, the real ones, and the Colombia mobsters! I purchase a ticket 4 months in advance. Then 2 weeks later I try to change my tickets. After 1 hour 20 minutes on the phone, they told me that the penalty was $450 each ticket. Do not do business with them, they still have Pablo Escobar in their veins!

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

I was verbally harassed, intimidated, treated horrible and not granted and able to travel on Oct. 2, 2018 by the Avianca front counter staff/employees at the Airport in SAP-Honduras. Here are the details of what I experienced with this horrible substandard and unprofessional Airline; I scheduled to fly back home to Los Angeles (US) on October 2, 2018 from San Pedro Sula, Honduras after a 5-day vacation trip. I even checked in on-line 24 hours before on October 1, 2018, as I usually do when I travel. I still arrived at the airport 3 hours before to be safe being an international flight. However, when I went to the Avianca front counter to check in myself and luggage the first thing I saw was two full passenger lines as it appeared they had another delayed flight, the pre-checked passengers line had only a few passengers.

I ran into an Avianca Staff at the beginning of the lines her name was Christel ** who seemed already upset due to their situation and I asked her which line was the pre-checked in line? She replied very rude and was sarcastic it does not matter which line but and pointed it out. I waited one hours and thirty minutes while all the passengers were complaining too and frustrated. They did not tell the passengers at any given time what was going and did not care. The Avianca employees were actually arguing with the passengers and verbally mistreating them (like take it or leave deal). There was a passenger going to Panama that they took off the flight the day before (10/1/18) for no reason and she told me she was there on time and they sold her seat, and they wanted to charge her $1,200 and had to put with their bad behavior and was able to travel the next day 10/2/10.

Things were so bad at the front counter that you can feel the tension and the employees just finding a reason to argue as they feel empower to do whatever they want with the passengers, and not let them travel, and then change their flight to charge them extra fees. The passengers were asking for the supervisor at the front counter and the staff refused to call the supervisor. After a long journey waiting in-line for 90 minutes and dealing with the unpleasant environment created by the Avianca employees because they did not want to admit they had their front counter overcrowded due to the other delayed flight, I was called to the front counter and ran into the same staff, Christel **. He was already upset and had been arguing with the passengers who was not even properly trained to work at the front counter but was asked to help at front due to their crisis at the moment.

However, she started getting rude again and arguing so I asked her what was going on and she wouldn't explain. I told her I had plans to submit a formal complaint in writing to Avianca and I also asked to call her supervisor to which she refused. She kept arguing and upset and I said to her please just give the boarding passes as I only have an hour and twenty minutes to get the boarding area. She started making up excuses but checked in my luggage and gave me the boarding passes finally, and I told her I still wanted to see her supervisor. Her supervisor never showed so I had to get to the boarding area so I left, on my way to it I checked immigration to exit the country and I was called in to come to the front counter to speak to the supervisor Amy ** so they made me come back through immigration when she could have come to the boarding area waiting room.

I told her what happened, how unpleasant it was and how rude her employee was and my feedback I will be given to Avianca. Instead of helping the situation this so called supervisor Amy ** who did not even speak English was rude too and had a bad attitude as Christel ** did and also did not either English, they took me off the flight as an act of retaliation because I complained and told them I would do it in writing too to Avianca. I was shocked and useless as this supervisor was just an acting one, and took the liberty to intimidate me and treated as she please disrespectfully and made up a bad excuse with her employee Christel to not let me fly that day, and also charge me. First Amy ** the supervisor wanted to charge $850 to change my flight and I told that did not make any sense and I had not even paid that for the ticket, then she said let me check if the other flight has space.

By this time I had waited over 3 hours, she come back to the front counter an hour plus later and tells there is no space left. She put me on the next flight for no reason just to satisfy her ego and charged $230 more to fly the next day. Additionally I had to stay at a Hotel and pay for other expenses, food, transportation, etc., that I also spent an additional $600 more or so. These two employees Amy ** and Christel ** should have been terminated from this airline to show the other employees that misconduct is not allow and bad behavior is not productive, there are procedures to follow and good customer service to have and display professionally, and if they don't they will be disciplined and/or suspended, or terminated.

I wrote an entire full complaint to the airline that took me a few days to structure and to go back and forth to get the forms, I sent them plenty of evidence of what they did wrong, they did not acknowledge anything after over a month going back and forth, and they declined my claim and denied compensation and to refund me over $800 in total I spend because they simply did not feel in the mood for to fly on Oct. 2, 2018 and wanted to show off how they enjoy screwing the passenger this way.

PS. Consumer Affairs should consider along with the Department of Transportation to investigate this Avianca Airline, and to fine and revoke their flying credential to not be allowed to fly in the US and surrounding countries. There is way too many negative complaints about this airline and enough is enough. Something needs to be with them to improve their unprofessional business to steal money from the passengers and to improve their terrible customer service and claims Department. They never return call or discuss the complaints on the phone, just the no thanks emails. Avianca does not even deserve one star it should a -start negative star instead.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I’ve had several incidents with HORRIBLE airlines in the last few months. First we purchased a ticket for my aunt to visit us In LA from El Salvador. When she arrived at the airport in El Salvador she was informed that the flight was overbooked and she would have to wait for the next flight. Her initial flight was 7am and she got pushed back until 9 pm. They gave her 200 for the inconvenience and told her it was her fault for not doing early check in. When we try to use the 200 later they would allow us to buy it online. They wanted us to buy with a representative and that meant that 490 flight was now 700. And again they said it was our fault. Not sure how.

Next incident we had bought a ticket way in advance for a graduation. Unfortunately there was an unexpected death in the family and when we try to switch the flight and have 370 dollar fee waived they said they couldn’t because the death didn’t fall within the fifteen day policy they had. Since it was an emergency we paid the difference and booked two extra seats on their flight (that was my mistake).

When we arrived at the airport check in they asked if we wanted to give up our seats voluntarily because they overbooked. We said, "No. We have a funeral and burial to get to." We then proceed to check in where we were informed that 2 out of 3 tickets were canceled for lack of confirmation. But if we wanted we could get seats in their 10pm flight. But to hurry because it was filling up fast. When I tried to talk to the manager on site she informed that she could only talk and help after everyone would be checked in and it would be about three hours. THIS IS A HORRIBLE AIRLINE, they continue to screw people over. And my money has been sent back yet. Pay extra and fly with another airlines.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

I called Avianca Customer Service just to find out if there was a departure fee from the US to Colombia and vice-versa. The CSR asked me to provide an ID or passport to answer my question. I was at work and told the CSR so and he said that without an ID he couldn't answer my question. I thought that was the most ridiculous requirement ever since I have never been asked for an ID at any other airline to answer any of the questions I've had.

I asked to talk to the supervisor and had to wait for 11 minutes for him to grab the phone to tell me that they can't answer the question without an ID because they just started a new program in which they pretty much are just creating a profile of their customers to get to know them better. I told him that I didn't want to be in their database and that what I was asking was just a simple question that I have actually found on-line while for him! I proceeded to ask him, "What if I didn't have a ticket yet? Would you answer the question?" Got no answer from him but just the same BS "without the ID we can't answer the question" I haven't even flown with them yet and I am already disappointed with their poor customer service!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

Flying to Bogota from London was fine and no complaints but the moment we arrived my wife her sister and myself arrived in Cartagena it all started to unravel... where we were informed that both my wife and her sister's luggage hadn't arrived. They promised that when it did they would forward them to our location which was lucky as the first place was 5 hours away and we were staying for 3 days before moving on.

On the second day of our stay my sister in law's bags arrived and no sign of my wife's so we decided to buy some clothes for my wife and hoped as the staff at the airport said buy some and keep the receipts. We continued with our vacation with constant contact to see where my wife's baggage was and told it's on its way and will meet up with us. Which later turned out to be a pack of lies from Avianca Airways. As the baggage never arrived for the 18 day trip so my wife had to borrow her sister's and my clothes as we decided that Avianca couldn't be trusted to even refund the clothes she had bought. When we eventually arrived back in London surprise surprise her bag had never left Great Britain to start with.

At this point more than a little annoyed with this we asked Avianca for an apology and to sort out the refund for my wife's clothes which she spent $200 including a bag to carry. This was last October and we have tried emailing customer services several times and every time no response. Without doubt the very worst airline on the planet (we have traveled with quite a few) ever. If you lose your luggage don't expect a sympathetic ear with Avianca. I don't want to even give them a star rating.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

My wife and I were traveling to Honduras to celebrate our second honeymoon. When we landed since it was a full flight they open the back door so passengers can depart the plane quickly. They placed a black metal staircase and as my wife stepped on the staircase she slip, fell backward and banged her head against the plane and No One helped her up. We I then asked the ground staff to get a wheelchair which we did not get until we were at the immigration booth. I asked to speak to a supervisor to see if they had a medical staff on site and once again we had to wait for the paramedics.

Then when the paramedic checked my wife they told us we had to wait two more hours to see if they can get insurance clearance to talk her to the hospital. The supervisor was rude and inconsiderate she was more about covering her own ** instead of helping my wife. We left the airport and I took my wife to a local doctor where she was treated. This airline has not even reached out to us to see how my wife is doing. Let's see if they even filed the incident report. Never again! Lost vacation and injured wife on our second honeymoon what a nightmare.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

WORST AIRLINE EVER BOARDED... PLEASE AVOID THIS AIRLINE. The airlines staff at Bogota (El Dorado airport) are the unethical and not friendly at all. My flight to MDE was cancelled due to weather conditions and I requested to return my baggage and they confirmed that they found it and asked me to come back in an hour. When I came back they told to keep me waiting and they keep on telling that the baggage is missing and they have no clue where it is and they made us wait for 7 hours in the airport and my whole trip in MDE got cancelled which resulted in thousands of dollars and the airport staff keep in changing their words to make you leave the airport and they asked me to come back next say to help me and I got so pissed off I took my ticket for extra $300 back to LA as I did not feel safe at all in Bogota airport with Avianca Customer staff. UNETHICAL/WORST AIRLINES AND STAFF. PLEASE AVOID THIS AIRLINES...

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

Juma **. Complaint: Rude attitude and unprofessional. I booked a business class ticket with Avianca airlines. When I arrived at Boston airport Avianca counter 84, Juma ** asked for me and my husband’s passports along with my green card and my green card extension letter. We gave all the documents to her and waited for about 5 minutes. She held my green card and told me that I could not travel because my green card was expired. I told her that I have the extension letter. She called the Miami department to confirm whether I can continue to fly. And the answer I was told was no! I was so confused and nervous and didn’t understand why I couldn’t fly? We were given no explanation except that my green card said it was expired.

I had a valid visa for Guatemala in my passport granted directly by the consulate general of Providence, Rhode Island. But Juma did not even ask us if we had a valid visa to enter Guatemala. Once she realized her mistake, Juma continued to rudely explain that it was our fault to not mention that we had a valid visa. At that point, I was extremely panicked and just wanted her to continue processing our boarding passes and baggage as our boarding time was in about 20 minutes.

I said, “Please move on and continue checking us in.” Juma was not understanding at all and took offense with my language. I did not say anything inappropriate, but she was very unprofessional. Juma even said repeatedly “You don’t talk to me like that.” She didn’t even realize that I was a business class customer until the very end. I hope she can be taught how to appropriately talk to customers. The correct questions must be asked, assumptions can never be made, and customers that are unrightfully panicked are not being rude. I was rightfully frustrated and panicked at the thought that I could not go on my vacation, which I have spent a fortune on. Please forward my criticism to Juma and take the necessary corrective action to elevate her level of service. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I had a flight for October 7, 2018 at 4am and had arrived the airport at around 2am. All passengers with destinations to Honduras were not allowed to board the plane because of flooding in Honduras, yet all other passengers got in. They couldn't schedule another flight at the airport and provided use the call center phone number to call and schedule a new itinerary. A simple request has become just an inconvenience for me. Every time I called they were accusing me of not showing up for a flight that left on time and arrived on time and every single time I had to explain that I was not allowed to board the plane by an Avianca representative at the check in line. And every time the call center representative would verify my story and would continue to help me and give me excuses to not help me. None of the representatives knew what was going on.

After three calls to Avianca I finally I was able to speak with Patricia, whom, like every other representative had verified my story, and offered to get a flight ticket "at no charge". She offered me two choices, a flight on Monday October 8 that had an overnight layover of over 12 in Guatemala or a perfect looking flight on Wednesday October 10. Two hours later... I picked the Monday October 8 flight because I need to get to Honduras as soon as possible. I asked for a hotel accommodation for the inconvenience that this has caused me and my family and because this was not my original intent of flight. Getting and sustaining a job in Central America is hard as it is and I needed to get there as soon as possible so that I don't lose my job, I was about burst into tears at this point. Avianca does not put the effort to accommodate their passengers.

Two hours later... At the airport Avianca claimed that the reason why they were not letting us board the plane was because there was weather issues in Honduras. There were no weather issues in the United States, there were no weather issues in El Salvador, and there were no weather issues in Guatemala. They should have allowed us to board the plane. Now, instead of being about 300 miles away from Honduras, I am still 3500 miles away from home. At this point Patricia transferred me to the "Supervisor" Beatrice ** to see if we would get some accommodations for me. All Beatrice did for two hours was blame me for being late and missing my flight. I was not late. It was excuse after excuse coming from Beatrice ** towards me.

30 minutes later...Eventually, they asked me to put a claim with customer service. I was transferred back to Patricia and she was working on submitting the claim and getting me a hotel and meal voucher when suddenly the call ended. Two hours later... I never got a call back from Patricia, which is very unprofessional. Therefore I was forced to called back and ended up speaking with Wendy **, whom, once again verified all my information and my entire story all over again. Wendy ** was a broken record, repeating the same line over and over again.

"I apologize for the inconvenience, unfortunately in this case, as I have mentioned before the accommodations requested are not available because it was a weather issue." - Wendy Hernandez. Any questions asked, she would respond with the same version of that line. I wasted over six hours of my time to be treated this badly. Unacceptable, no other airline has treated me this badly. Never again will I recommend Avianca, nor will I fly with them.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

Avianca has been an horrible experience from start to end. My flight was going to be: Boston - El Salvador - Panama. Flight from Boston got delayed (3+ hours) so missed my connection. I got a hotel, and new flights to Panama with another layover in San Jose (because direct flight was fully booked). The flight from El Salvador got delayed which resulted in missing the connection (which was made by Avianca) to Panama. A trip of only 6 hours resulted in a 2 day trip full of disappointments and frustrations. Never again.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

About 2 weeks ago my mom and I went on a trip to El Salvador and the service was very very dissatisfying. From the way the flight attendants serve, they don't make one feel at ease to ask questions or comments and the bathrooms were very dirty and lacked hygiene. They never come to ask if everything is okay or if you need something they just walk right past you. I think that for the price paid they should be able to give much better customer service.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I went to El Salvador with my husband and we get the worse customer service we ever see. The flight attendants were so rude, very nasty attitude and making fun when the customer were asking for different drinks. The price that we pay with Avianca for non stop flight is not cheap. And we don’t mind to pay the price but we also deserve a good customer service! I called customer service and they didn't even ask me my name or my flight number. At least they must be pretend that they want to help??? And then I send a message on FB. And I gave them my information. But they told me that the only way they can do something is if I have those two girls name. REALLY!!! You should train your employees better and focused on good service instead of a free blanket and pillow!!!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

I fly multiple airlines a year. I've NEVER had an experience like I did with Avianca flying to/from Colombia. This was by far MY WORST EXPERIENCE EVER! Firstly, all 4 of my flights were delayed. CheapOair informed me of the first delay, but Avianca NEVER contacted me about any flight changes. I arrived into Cartagena 8 hrs after my expected time because my connection from Bogota had to be changed as well due to the delay. I wish this was the biggest problem I had.

The worst part was when I showed up in Bogota 4.5 hrs before take-off to JFK and was informed that the plane was overbooked. Why wasn't I informed about this by email/phone before I showed up to the airport? Most other airlines that this happens for, you are informed in advance and at least compensated for the inconvenience. I bought a ticket for a flight, was confirmed by email, and I wanted that flight. I was also told that ALL passengers scheduled to be seated had checked in already. BS. There's no way everyone checked in already with 4.5 hrs before take-off.

Avianca did not offer any compensation and instead wanted me to take a flight with 2 layovers arriving much later to my final destination, while I specifically paid $300 more to have a direct flight back to JFK. The attendant never apologized, said there was nothing else he could do, and then proceeded to speak to another attendant about me. I asked for a manager, and he was not helpful either. They offered a flight for 3 pm the next day, but I had to be back much sooner. In all honesty, if they offered $600 in airline credit, I would have disliked it, but would have accepted it. I felt undervalued, disrespected, displeased. Terrible company standards.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

We had a terrible experience with Avianca. We booked our flights in May to travel in August from Cusco to Puerto Maldonado in Peru. We tried to check in the night before travelling but the website was advising us to go to the check in desk to complete it. When we arrived there they said that our seats had been assigned to someone else for two reasons: first of all apparently we bought our tickets in overbooking and secondly our seats were assigned to someone else as the day before a flight was cancelled. When we asked how we could know that we bought our tickets in overbooking, as it wasn't mentioned anywhere, they confirmed that there was no way to know but we should have guessed it as the price was lower than normal?? How is it possible for us to know if it was our first time travelling that route??

They kept us waiting for two hours in case someone decided to postpone their flight and of course it didn't happen. We called INDICOPI, which is an association to protect travellers and they said that it would have taken 30 days to do anything?? Avianca offered to book the next available flight which was the day after but we had to be in Puerto Maldonado the same day, no other options, so we had to take a taxi (9 hours and $650!!!) to reach our destination on time. We asked for a refund and Avianca advised us to go to their headquarter in the city centre of Cusco. We took a taxi and once arrived in the main office they told us that it wasn't possible for us to ask for a refund there but that we should have forwarded the request through the website. I travelled all over the world and never had anything like this, I would definite fraud paying for something that you don't get.

And what was really frustrating was that they were considering it as normal, the operator was not even looking at our eyes when talking, nobody cared about the three of us and the other 5 passengers that were in the same situation. I would strongly advise not to travel with this company, it totally ruined our trip and costed us $650 extra to reach our destination. Avianca, be ashamed of yourself and close down!!!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

In my 30 years of traveling with different airlines I have never came across with such a terrible customer service. Last year (2017) they left me stranded in Bogota and Cartagena for 48 hours due to Pilot's strike without compensating me a single cent. Tomorrow, I am traveling with my family to Spain for holidays and they just canceled the flight with less than 24 hours notice. We lost our connections and Avianca Reps are just terrible assigning us to other flights. The "system" automatically assigned us 5 different flights. We are a family of 7. This is just absurd. Don't fly with Avianca.

Original review: July 15, 2018

This is the most sorriest Airlines in the world. I told my wife if she ever booked a flight with them again I would divorce her. We have been waiting on a refund for 3 months now and every time I call they give me a different answer every single time. You mean to tell me a big corporation like this can’t just hit a key on the computer and send the refund. I'm so disappointed with this company so I’m writing this to warn all people to please find different airlines to fly. You will thank me later.

Original review: June 5, 2018

We flew with Avianca from Aruba to Guatemala City via Bogota and San Jose. Short flights with two stops on the way, all of them with Avianca. We checked in one suitcase in Aruba: a beautiful new suitcase, protected with a colorful cloth cover. When we landed in Guatemala City, the cover was gone, and the suitcase was totally broken - holes in its side, missing wheels. Of course we contacted the airline right away - after we rushed to buy a new suitcase, because we still had a long trip waiting and the old suitcase was unusable.

After some annoying communications - we were asked to fill the same form several times, had to send in photos of the ruined suitcase several times, and half the emails we sent were rejected by the company's server - we finally got a compensation offer that let us choose between several options. We chose a refund for the new suitcase through our credit card. We got one last email from them, telling us the case number and promising they'll take care of it within 15 days - and that's it. They haven't sent any further message. Of course they did not refund anything. They've stopped answering emails. We live at the other end of the world, but we're considering suing them - customer service can't get any worse than that.

Original review: May 31, 2018

I want to start by saying this is possibly one of the worst airlines I have ever flown with and I have been traveling the past 10 years, 3/4 times a year. May 25, 2018 I was set to depart from JFK at 10:20 am with my best friend, we arrived at JFK at 8:45 am and was through TSA by 9:00 am. As we approached the gate we noticed it was a small area that was already overcrowded, so we went to grab some food and sit on the opposite side. As the time began winding down we realized we hadn't heard any announcement and got up to walk over and ensure boarding hadn't began.

It was about 35 minutes to departure and we were told we could not board the flight because boarding begins 1 hour prior to. We asked why our names hadn't been called and the women stated she called our emergency contacts as that was the procedure. I am unsure why they wouldn't call the actual passenger, but as I looked out the window the plane was still there and one of the girls was closing the door as the other told us we had to rebook. We could not understand such a thing and as a frequent traveler of Jet Blue, American Airlines and Delta I was appalled by their attitudes and unwillingness to help us.

The three women stood there with the worst attitudes and one said, "Oh well you have to go upstairs and re-book, pick up your luggage and go upstairs to figure it out with them." It took everything in me not to curse them to the high heavens as there was no compassion, no empathy, nothing! As someone who works in customer service, my job is to ensure I do all I can especially when people are spending their hard earned money. My best friend began to cry because she was overly frustrated by this treatment!

As we went upstairs to rebook the women at the counter was closing up. We explained our issue and she stated "her shift was over the booth is closed, call customer service." I honestly could not believe this was the staff responsible for helping people when all anyone did was be rude and disrespectful. We sat on the floor and proceeded to call customer service. We had to call 4 separate times as we would keep being connected to people who stated they could not understand our accents.

We speak English from New York. There is no accent!!! When we finally got someone who understood us that rep advised us we would have to pay 400$, 200 per ticket to re-book and this is about when I lost it. I demanded to speak to a supervisor and was connected to Valentina who was like our savior. After 3 hours (no exaggeration) of being on the phone, not only did she over apologize for the disgusting treatment of the entire staff at JFK she got us re-booked at no additional cost, unfortunately for the next day as that was the only next flight available. We were super grateful for her understanding and support and I even left a compliment for her as she was true representation of customer service.

Not only did we lose money on our accommodation, cab rides to airport, car service for our landing we lost a night of our well deserved vacation. It is beyond me an airline would hire people who treat others in a disrespectful rude manner. I would caution those who are sucked in by the cheap flights to really consider paying a little more with the more popular airlines as they seem to genuinely care more from my experience. I was beyond frustrated that I paid hundreds of dollars to travel with a company like this and would encounter not one, not two, but 5 of the most disgusting customer service people ever.

They simply do not deserve to deal with the public and should consider another department within the company where they do not have to look people in the face as if their disgusted and then treat them so poorly. What sucks is after we got to our destination and dealt with the staff in San Salvador and Costa Rica they were amazing and very sweet but I could not shake the experience I had at JFK. Not to mention none of the other flights we took boarded an hour before departure and actually on our way back a couple had a hard time during security check and was able to board 20 minutes prior to us leaving. I truly hope this review helps others and I will actually be escalating this up to a supervisor or management there, as I feel some kind of acknowledgment is due to us.

Original review: May 9, 2018

I asked for a refund because of political strife in my destination country that caused my humanitarian trip to be cancelled. The customer service rep in English was friendly and advised me to put in a refund request with Avianca's refund department which I thought would be a black hole of bureaucracy. However, after a week of limbo, they granted my refund. I was very pleased with this interaction and although the refund process could be clearer and they could have contacted me regarding my refund status/when it was authorized, their customer service was good and I ultimately was able to get a refund. I appreciated their understanding for something that was out of my control.

Original review: May 2, 2018

Avoid Avianca at all costs, or it will cost you, dearly. I booked a flight from San Salvador to San Jose, Costa Rica. When I arrived for my flight, the Avianca agent told me I could not board my plane without an exit ticket from Costa Rica. This is total BS - Costa Rica does not require an exit ticket, check the embassy website - this is Avianca forcing you to book an overpriced ticket and swindle you out of money. I bit the bullet and purchased a $450 ticket to fly me home to San Francisco later that month.

Nearing the end of my travels, I received word that my grandmother was dying. I called Avianca to change my ticket to Dallas to be with family. They told me my only options would be business class, or to take flight paths lasting over 40 hours (both would cost me well over $1000). I opted to cancel my ticket for a $150 fee, with a promise that I would get a refund after I submitted my refund request online. Of course, the agent is unable to process anything related to the refund over the phone, can't even give me a confirmation number for the reservation cancellation...

After returning to Texas and in the middle of helping for funeral arrangements, I attempt to input my refund request on the website. I take the time to enter all of my details (they even ask you for a death certificate!! What an invasion of privacy...) and click submit, and of course the website does not respond. I try on 2 different computers/browsers, and on my iPhone - no option works.

I call Avianca customer service to ask if they can help me, of course not, they just very condescendingly repeat over and over again that I have to input the request online. I then get transferred to web support, who also cannot help me, but they give me the following email address cicallcenter@centrosolucionavianca.com. I am told to email and explain my situation and give my credit card number (because everyone loves emailing their credit card number...) and just cross my fingers that they will process the request. Not gonna hold my breath on getting my $300 back...DO NOT FLY AVIANCA. They will swindle you out of money with no remorse. Thieves.

Original review: April 18, 2018

To say that Avianca has bad customer service is a gross understatement. Avianca has no customer service. Website has a terrible user interface and is very glitchy and frequently goes down. Attempted to cancel a reservation for a flight from Costa Rica to USA within 24 hours and they would not cancel it even though it is US Department of transportation LAW to do so!!! They follow their own set of Colombian rules and don’t care about US laws. I spent five hours on the phone with various customer service reps and supervisors. All of them had bad attitudes and spoke very broken English. I even incorporated the assistance of an employee of the US Department of Transportation Consumer Complaints Department.

Avianca was so belligerent they would not budge and conform with US Law even when contacted by an employee of the US DOT on my behalf! I will be disputing the fee on my credit card for this reservation and have already filed an official complaint with the US DOT. Luckily I have a very pissed off and baffled government employee on my side so I hope Avianca gets a big fine for this! If you use Avianca, you’re crazy and have very low expectations from your airline provider. Every other airline is 100% better at customer service.

Avianca Company Information