3.38/5

161 Avianca Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 15, 2019

So July 13th 2019 I flew business class from LAX to Lima, Peru. The service was horrible, no different from coach. I actually would have preferred to be in coach. There was a male flight attendant that kept the opening the shutters to the front and letting bright light right on my face, now I know that is their job to go in there and get things for the whatever the reason, but he would go in there and leave them open, so I finally asked him if he could please take the time to close them since the light was bothering me. Of course he got a snappy attitude with me and pretty much told me to deal with it. Now keep in mind I'm in my 70's... like I said, horrible service Avianca. Expected much more, never again.

Original review: June 11, 2019

Don't even think to fly with Avianca, worst airline that ever flight. Since we bought the tickets they start making changes. They call at last minute to tell us about a change because of the weather. When I said them I was traveling from PA in we already in NY, they said come to the airport and we talk. Now they tell me we going to travel at the time that was supposed to be. That's a big lie. The truth they overrule the tickets and need extra space. First and last time I travel with them, I learn my lesson. Don't allow this to happen to you. Learn from my experience and don't flight with them.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 16, 2019

For 5 months I'm waiting on a refund. I paid my tickets in Curacao office. When the refund was approved they can not send my payment back due they do not know how to send money back to a normal current bank account number. Spoken with a Supervisor but still they not know how I can get my money. I needed to get a proof of my bank that it was my bank account where the money has to be refunded on. After this process I send in all my bank details and the letter and still they cannot process this. The Agent Paola Cristina **, Monique ** are handling this case but they do not no a update. They are still sending email refund is processed. When I check my account there is no refund. I asked to get a Manager or a legal dept to help me with this issue but still no Feedback. When you call I get stories that are not adding up. Meanwhile 5 months later no refund no help!!!! So please do not book a Flight with Avianca.

Original review: May 14, 2019

Let me start by saying that I had a horrible experience with Avianca. It was my first time flying and unless I get this issue resolved it will for sure be the last. I bought a ticket in November through the Avianca website https://www.avianca.com/us/en/. My ticket had to be changed several times due to flights being cancelled and we even had to switch cities/airports in order to get to our destination. All the changes took a very long time to resolve because when I called Avianca they told me I had to call Avianca Brazil because they were the ones that changed the flights, when I called Avianca Brazil they told me I had to call Avianca because I had purchased the tickets through them. I had to call both several times until someone finally helped me (for the record it was Avianca’s responsibility because they sold me the tickets).

The day before my return flight (I had been checking every day if my flight hadn’t been cancelled) I tried doing our check in online but the system wouldn’t let me. When I arrived at the airport I was informed that the flight was full and I could not board. There were also no other flights on that date and they were unwilling to accommodate us on any other airlines even though the other airlines had tickets available. They also informed us that they couldn’t guarantee tickets for us on our connecting flights if we missed them.

We ended up having to purchase 3 very expensive last minute tickets to get from FLN to GRU in order to get on our international flights. Avianca didn’t even try to accommodate us on this other airline even though we repeatedly asked them to and informed them that there were seats available. My tickets ended up costing almost twice as much because Avianca wouldn’t let us board that first flight. I would like to get reimbursed the $1,164.84 that I had to pay for 3 tickets from FLN to GRU on LATAM on April 20.

Original review: May 7, 2019

They will destroy your property and will refuse responsibility, they will make you lose your connecting flights and you will lose your fully -non refundable- car rental reservations, they will make you lose any tickets to whatever event you have had planning, and they will not lift a finger about it. All they do is refuse, refuse and keep silent. You cant trust them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avianca?

Original review: April 30, 2019

We never ever ever will fly with Avianca again. Call center is the worst place to call for help. Same at the desk at airport. No one knows how can fixing thing just only they convenience... They change ours seat. It was already confirmed... Ours luggage was broken totally zipper and wheels... They complain with 1 pound over 50. They want $200.00 for the extra... Crazy we had a big complaint with this lady from Avianca at airport desk. They make came down from airplane 2:30 am over Tegucigalpa. We was going to NY. Never mentioned before came out from airplane then back again to same airplane. The is so stupid and tire. My wife was very sick already.

Finally we got our airport JFK not until 4:30 am from 8 pm. A man sitting next to me was 70 years. Poor man. He was saying he was traveling in same plane 24 hrs back and forth Miami, Nicaragua, El Salvador until finally not until 2:30 came down to Tegucigalpa... The worst airline. We recommend please don't use this company. Best and always United Airlines we recommend highly. We fly with them for 15 years... Never never again Avianca!!!! Need my need luggage!! Have a proof if need it.

Original review: April 20, 2019

I cancelled my flight with online chat team. They emailed me saying I needed to fill out the online request form: **. My ticket number: **. I called the call centre and they said they can not view any of my details in the database system. I am very dissatisfied with the service of this airline and I just want my refund of $550 returned to me. Can you please contact me as soon possible on ** to resolve this matter. Complaint case study number: **. Thanks in advance. Kind Regards, Holly-Ann **

Original review: April 3, 2019

I had a flight scheduled on business class from BOS to BOG RT for May of this year and Avianca changed both my departure and return flights. I purchased this with credit card points. They changed my return flight by 4 days and were unable to book anything on the original return dates of my flight. They told me someone "made a mistake" on their end and that I should now "request a refund" on their site. This process, they tell me, can take >30 days and my new flight costs double the original - I have to use cash to purchase these tickets (hopefully I get my credit card points back someday). My credit card company tells me they have never worked with an airline has such insane refund policies - especially when the airline made the mistake themselves.

Original review: March 31, 2019

I had a round trip flight booked from Boston, MA, USA to San Jose, Costa Rica with a short layover in San Salvador, El Salvador. Yesterday, I received an email that all legs of my flight were cancelled due to "unforeseen circumstances". When I called customer service, my only options were to move my travel dates or request a refund. We have already paid for housing, transportation, excursions so moving my travel dates was not an option so I requested a full refund. Customer service was very nice but they too had no explanation for the flight cancellation. This cancellation happened 3 months before my trip. I booked with Avianca Airlines because they offered the best pricing and schedule for my departure and landing. Now, I am forced to rebook my trip with current prices $300+ more round trip. Very upset and this ruins my overall trip budget!

Original review: March 28, 2019

Like everyone else I too have been screwed by Avianca and their prejudice towards Americans. Delayed my 8:15 flight with NO explanation given from Manta to Quito causing me to miss my 12:04 AM flight from Quito to Miami. While I listened to Avianca agent talking to her supervisor I heard her mention Americano several times, apparently, the supervisor was asking my nationality. Once it was made clear I was American, her Supervisor told her there is nothing they can do for me. Furthermore, I had to pay $278 for another roundtrip ticket to go back to my home in Manta since American Airlines could not arrange a flight for me until 4 days later.

Avianca Company Information