2. Travel
  3. Airlines

3.7/5 (80 ratings)

About Avianca

Avianca Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avianca?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avianca?

Original review: May 11, 2021

I have an Avianca travel voucher from a flight I could not take last year due to COVID. The voucher is for the full amount of my initial booking. The issue is that you cannot use the voucher online. You have to book over the phone. It takes upwards of an hour to get anyone on the phone and the phone prices are $200-$250 more when you book over the phone as opposed to online. What this amounts to in practice, is that the voucher a customer received is worth less than what they paid because prices are artificially inflated over the phone. Airlines are notorious for having terrible customer service policies and this is just another one to add to the list. I will be avoiding this airline at all costs for future flights to Latin America. A company that forces people to pay more due to a pandemic is not a company I want to do business with.

Original review: April 24, 2021

Buyer beware. Avianca is selling fake tickets on flights that do not exist. They are also selling fake cancelation insurance that takes you to a scam website. Took me for a lot of money. Haven't seen a penny of it back. Had to file a dispute with my credit card.

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 10, 2021

Avianca changed my flight itinerary and the flight no longer worked for us. I tried contacting Avianca through their call center, email and WhatsApp and this was my experience:

1) The call center had me wait for more than an hour many times and I was never able to talk to a human being.

2) I wrote dozens of emails (copying all their available email addresses) and not one of them were answered.

3) I used their WhatsApp robot and each time they asked me to stay online while a representative contacted me. Their response would normally come 4-12 hours later (sometimes while I was asleep). They would write two quick messages: the first one stating that they wanted to help me and the second one (immediately after the first one) stating that since I was not online they were ending our conversation. When I finally was able to answer the message within 30 seconds, the representative told me that he couldn't help me and that I needed to contact the call center.

My conclusion: I will NEVER fly with Avianca again, if I can help it.

Original review: March 3, 2021

Avianca canceled the flight from San Jose, Costa Rica to Aberdeen, UK in June 2020 and has not offered any reimbursement. When checking on the Avianca website for the status of request for reimbursement, we learn that the request has been rejected without any reason supplied. Avianca must refund the cost of this flight as the service was never provided and the cancellation has come from Avianca. Numerous efforts have been made to contact Avianca through phone (many numbers, sometimes more than 3 hours of wait without any response), email, FB messenger, to no avail they remain totally unresponsive.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2021

As my parents who are elders needed to cancel their flights due to Covid-19 I was on the phone with Avianca for over 5 hours. The agency where I bought the tickets was trying to help but they needed a code from avianca and supervisors from avianca didn’t want to help. Jennipher ** and Herbert ** (both in El Salvador Avianca office) not only were rude but they refused to provide any kind of help. Zero customer service. Zero help. Zero humanity on with these people or avianca in general.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2020

To be clear, this review is all about the customer service when it comes to resolving a flight booking. My wife and I are travelling to Colombia in December, my wife business with our baby and I was travelling in economy. I contact customer service via phone (which takes 1 hour to connect and then a further 4-5hrs discussing the same issue) - to see if I can upgrade to business to which they say and send me a payment link, they say it takes 8hrs to confirm upgrade. So I wait and await, and I end up calling them 24hrs later, then 48hrs later and again and again, when I speak to customer support team they tell me the bank is still processing payment.

I then learn 4 days later that the payment hasn't been taken (I check with my bank) and Avianca have cancelled my standard and not informed me. I then spend another 5 days, with various people who won't help and then finally I have to pay a further £600 to have my original ticket. In total the entire process took 5 days and each day I spent on average 5hrs on the phone. Terrible customer service and I recommend you never fly with them.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2020

We booked a flight London - San Cristobal which was canceled due to the pandemic. Then we asked for a refund but hadn't received it for 5 months. We used a voucher to book another flight Quito - San Cristobal on September 3d. The flight was AV1636. We had to buy another ticket to Quito. Two days before the flight we contacted Avianca using the chat and they confirmed that the flight AV1636 was scheduled on time. When we arrived in Quito and tried to check-in for AV1636 but we couldn't.

We contact Avianca using the chat and another guy told us that the flight was canceled a long time ago and they didn't even notice us. So I am assuming they sell tickets to not-existing flights. It is a fraud. We don't know what is going on in the management of Avianca company but we don't trust them anymore. Our friends who booked a similar flight with Latam have already received a refund.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

Bought a round trip that needed to be cancelled. Terrible service, mixed information, no replies, they never follow up with anything. It took me 5 months and a complaint to an outside agency to get a response.

Original review: March 21, 2020

I canceled our two tickets in January on their website. I had to contact them 30 days later when I never received the refund. I was asked for my bank acct info for direct deposit because I had booked through Priceline and could not get credit card refund. I gave it to them over a month ago, and still no refund deposited to my acct. They cannot say it got lost in the mail! So where is it? Base on other complaints I have seen, I wonder if I will ever get it!

Original review: March 16, 2020

Avianca is the worst airline ever and has a terrible customer service!! They let me wait for 2 hours 48 minutes on the phone today March 15, 2020. When, finally they answer I asked them to change my itinerary and they told me I have to pay $1,300 for the change when the airplane is basically empty. People is afraid to fly due the Coronavirus and Avianca is just expensive rip-off company. I will not recommend it to anyone. They had changed flights to us in the past with no reason and they never refund anything but when we need to change flights they just grossly overpriced. I hope they are not continue in business and people choose another airlines.

Avianca Company Information