3.7/5 (280 ratings)

About Avianca

Avianca Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avianca?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avianca?

Original review: Dec. 5, 2022

Updated on 12/05/2022: This is the second part of my review, it takes a lot for me to leave a negative review for any business or a person but I've had it. Not only is hard and frustrating to communicate with customer service. They never return the call when the line gets disconnected. If you refer to my ticket it says time at gate 2:59am! WHAT A DAMM LIE!!! Time at the line was 1:00am (there's cameras at the airport). The first one on the line, employees showed up at 2:45am // FLIGHT is at 3:30am // Gates close at 3:15am/ Flight ends up getting delayed because employees were still walking in to work. Beyond Unprofessional!! I was the First one at the check in counter and last one to make it to the gate. SMH!!

Not only did the employee's escalated a situation with drunk passengers at the check in counters, but they got everyone involved, My Hubby and I had to step in and help because NOT ONE EMPLOYEE spoke English or enough English to diffuse the situation/ but the females were quick to take their phones out and record/ and antagonize the passengers. Yes they were intoxicated but the employees are unprofessional they made matters worst.

Seat upgrade - PLEASE DON'T FALL FOR THIS SCAM!! I was charged an extra $70 Dollars to move from Seat 10A to 11A "as an upgrade" only one road up = False advertisement// extra leg room/ comfortable seats/ charging station// LIES LIES LIES!!!!. No extra space/ USB charger were not working / seats were exactly the same/ I am 5"5 and I couldn't even seat comfortably. The seats actually felt like they had shrunk.

Luggage was paid // $90 dollars for the second luggage under my hubby's name as his first checked bag// at the airport they charged me $100 one way/ A CHECKED CARRY ON? WOOWOWOW. Since I've returned from my trip I have been trying to resolve this issue and I haven't gotten anywhere. I hope this gets someone's attention. I rather pay extra at another airline honestly!! If I could give Negative stars I would have!!! SINCERELY A NOT VALUED OR HAPPY NOT RETURNING CUSTOMER!

Original Review: I am writing a very long and multi layer review for this airline. First informal, I have heard nothing bad reviews, and I really hoped that it wouldn't be my case, but unfortunately it is. #1 Customer service at the Airport in Cartagena/ the worst. Not only were they not able to help but were quick to charge me extra and almost made me miss my flight. I got charged three times for baggage after I had already paid in advance. They were not able to "locate the confirmation" although the purchase was made directly through their application. I also had shown my bank statement and receipt and still got charged. I had also paid for my seats in advanced and got charged 4 times for it. How ridiculous!!!

I called the airline and no one seems to know how to help, they send you back to website to do a claim, they don't know the time frame of anything. And everything is a run around for something that can be fixed right away. Also they are never the correct department you have to wait for the correct department to send you an email. Not one person in this entire airline has the decency to return a call.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2022

I bought a ticket through their website and was always pressured to pay more for the ticket when I just needed the basic fare. Unfortunately, I got sick with influenza before my trip and was forced to cancel it. I called Avianca and they said that unless I had a medical excuse, they would not provIde me with a voucher or reimbursement (I never wanted my money back, just a voucher that I could use for a future trip). Furthermore, they do not consider influenza as a valid disease to prevent travel. This is outrageous as I was feverish and could have spread the virus to other people.

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2022

THEY STEAL YOU MONEY! I booked by mistake 4 flights, and cancelled it right away. By law and the airlines politics, they should refund if you cancel during the first 24 hours of the payment, I literally canceled 5 minutes after I paid. This was 3 months ago an still no money. They won't give me any detail, and I lost 1500 USD. They are stealing people's money!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2022

I had a flight from Medellín to Miami that was booked 5 months ago. Two weeks ago they decided without notify me about the change, but I did my best to change all the bookings that I had arriving in Miami. This morning my flight was at 6:00 am when they didn't even tell me that the flight was delayed 3 hours making me lose my connection in Bogotá, that also made me have issues already with the rental car company. They gave us a voucher to buy some food, voucher that is only usefully after 9:30 am and my flight is at 9:15 am. Avianca customer service is useless!

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

Besides being assigned to the emergency sit, which didn't recline, and the 5.5 hr flight was extremally uncomfortable, I was carrying a large canvas painting, protected by a cardboard, 2mm thick, that fits behind the last seats on the plane, without bothering anyone. This airline charged me almost $100 and put my paint with the cargo. Very unnecessary and just plain rude.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

This is the second and last time that I have flown Avianca. The first was in early 2020 and we were upsold at every opportunity, including being told my personal item (laptop bag) needed to be paid for. On this occasion, country hopping across South America, Avianca implement a requirement for proof of an active yellow fever vaccine to board flights from Brazil to Colombia. In the months leading up to the flight, I was bombarded with emails about upgrading my flight but not a single one mentioning that they would be demanding this at the airport.

The check-in agents at the airport said they would try to help then slinked off without even indicating that they were not able to or advising on what to do. Eventually, I was able to speak to an agent who was incredibly rude but eventually said to call the customer service helpline. I did this, attempting to re-route my flights to stop at another country and on 6 occasions the agent would ask me to hold the line while they looked into the options and then the line would get disconnected. My signal was great and it happened with multiple agents so I know it is a deflection tactic that they were employing. In the end, I had to figure out a new plan that couldn't even rely on using any of the flight credits. Horrible airline, staff and aggressive approach to taking your money in any way possible. They probably sold our unclaimed seats to someone else.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2022

DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY IN THIS COMPANY. THEY WILL STEAL YOUR MONEY. So we as family decided to go to Colombia for the first time. Beautiful country but the airline is the worst experience we had as family. On our way back to New York, we were at the line to board the plane and once we got there the attendant said, "There is no more room in the airplane. YOU ARE LATE FOR YOUR FLIGHT." I was like I wasn't sure if she was talking to us since she saw that we're right there. I smiled and said. "Not we were not, we are right here." Short story, they made us lose our flight and said that our flight tickets can not be changed for another flight and we have to buy new tickets... At that point I wasn't sure if that was true so we went to OTHER SERVICES, first the supervisor was extremely rude and he only said "sorry there is nothing I can do. We always over sell our flight for 10 extra seats in case there is people that are not on time.."

ANGRY AND IRRITATED I told him, "We were by the door getting ready to board. Hhow can we be late." He said "Sorry. Nothing else I can do. It's a policy of the airline and you will have to buy new tickets." So I asked him how much and he said $3500 dollars to go back home. As my wife and I tried to figure out what to do sitting on the floor with my 7 years old and my 3 years old, I notice that most of the people that stay there were American citizens, Canadians and European travelers... I was like, "OMG this company is ripping off people that can afford or think that we can afford to buy another tickets because they know that we have to go back home so we don't have any choice..."

I approached a guy from England that saw very angry and crying on one corner and asked him if he was OK. He said that AVIANCA make him lose his connection and now are asking for 5000 euros to get another ticket and he did have that money, I felt bad for him, he called a friend and was able to buy one more ticket to go back to England... At the end we bought the tickets back home and have to pay $2500 dollars to come back home.... I would not like anyone to go through what we went through and for this reason I am sharing my experience with this company... The flight ticket might look cheap, but believe me they are going to get you back, especially if you are not local... Be careful with this company.. *** Don't buy your flight tickets with Avianca... ***

Original review: Aug. 20, 2022

I've flown all different airlines around the world, from the USA, Europe, Africa, Caribbean, and South America. Avianca has been the WORST experience I've ever had. I booked through Expedia and was automatically given an XS fare due to it being the only fare available. I've never flown this airline before, and had no idea about how the fares worked. I figured I could pay extra to upgrade my fare eventually like any other airline I've flown. Several weeks on the phone with Avianca customer support, and almost every agent I spoke to did not speak English at all, or well. I was unable to get any help from their support team. Emails never received a response. Due to the 24 hour window for refund expiring, I was locked in and had no choice but to take this flight. $1082 total for 2 tickets, on a 1 hour and 30 minutes flight, which did not include checked bags.

I paid $70 online for the discounted checked luggage, and upon arrival at the airport was told I could not board unless I paid the full price of $161 for our checked bags. I explained that I paid already, and showed the transaction in my bank. They refused to listen, so I had to pay the extra $161 in order to board. The supervisor gave me a receipt and told me to get a refund once we landed. Once we landed we did as instructed, but we were told that they do not give refunds. After speaking to another supervisor she said I needed to get the refund through my bank. We came to Colombia due to a K1 Visa. The embassy took long to process the visa and we could not reschedule the flight due to the XS fare. The $500+ ticket was wasted, and to make matters worse, I purchased the $70 bags online for this flight. $500+$161+70 thrown away for no good reason at all.

If you read other reviews on BBB and other online sources, you'll see they pull these charges on other people as well. I think there is a bias towards Americans and they coerce customers into paying more fees. I chose to fly back with Wingo which provides flight flexibility for $21, and includes checked bags for a similar price. AVOID AVIANCA AT ALL COSTS! They pay for positive reviews and pay for "fact checkers" to dismiss negative reviews. This has got to be one of the most corrupt airlines in the world! Save yourself the nightmare and stress, do some research or pay a little extra. I chose to do some research and am now paying much less to fly back with a better airline. Americans beware!

Original review: Aug. 6, 2022

This is the worst airline I have ever travel with. If there was a minus star, I will give it to them. Starting with the customer service, they don't even know they own policies when you asked a question related to the luggage. We paid for business class, it was not cheap at all, so you expect great service, but no, not with this airline. To start, the sits were duty, then the beverage, they did not offer you a variety of drinks, just water, coffee or tea, they didn't even have juices or soda if you wanted. Then the food, the sandwich, a cold awful sandwich with not even enough meat, very discussing. One thing is for sure, I WILL NEVER fly with this airline again and I do not recommend it to anybody. Look for other airlines, this one is not good at all and you will be disappointed.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2022

I was in first class for a fly from Orlando to Medellin and the food was horrible, an old sandwich that tasted awful, I threw it away, I paid a lot of money for the ticket and not even the seats were good. I also have the same experience flying inside Colombia, drinks and food are bad.

Avianca Company Information