3.0/5 (141 ratings)

About Avianca

Avianca Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avianca?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avianca?

Original review: June 16, 2022

I purchased roundtrip tickets from Colombia to LAX for my fiancee late May, early June. Upon arrival my future wife was stopped at immigration and sent back home. (Yes, deported) I contacted Avianca weeks in advance that she would not be able to make the scheduled trip back to Colombia. They told me to go onto their website and fill out the refund section. I was able to provide the official documents by the United States Department of Immigration letters stating when and why she was sent back. When I called back numerous times I was brushed off saying I had to wait for a email response from the website refund department. A week after the plane took off I finally received the email stating that our refund was rejected.

This provoked more phone calls where Employees of Avianca kept telling me that someone had been on the flight to Colombia. It's disturbing to know that even with proof that we did not use the flight back that a multibillion dollar company could not help in a Hundred fifty dollar refund and so much of my valuable time was wasted. If anybody that reads this that can help I have dated emails and all proper documentation that I did what was need on my end to get this refund. I know deep inside nothing will come of this but writing this has helped emotionally.

Original review: May 26, 2022

At the airport, my husband and I were late and we were told by Avianca to re-schedule our flight with the call center. We were calling back and forth, being tossed between Avianca at the airport telling us that our reservation doesn't require waiver and the Avianca call center telling us that Avianca at the airport needs to provide a waiver and at the very end, Avianca call center cancelling our entire reservation.

The only thing we got was that Avianca airport telling us that the person/people we talk to at the call center doesn't know what's going on and the call center telling us to contact Avianca airport to have them change what's on the system, otherwise, our reservation remains cancelled. Even after we got Avianca at the airport to put in the system that we can reschedule, the call center still refuses to reschedule for us. The customer support representatives refused to transfer me to their manager and it was like pulling teeth when I asked over and over again and again for cancellation confirmation by Avianca. Even then, they were afraid to write anything indicating that the cancellation was done by Avianca.

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 4, 2022

Flight on May 3, 2022. SFO to SJO with layover in SAL. Airbus A320 & A319. Do not use this airline. We made an even bigger mistake by paying for business class flight! One of the worst service. Please don't waste your money. Now if you want bad treatment that's fine. But when you spend $$$ more money for business class? Come on. At least make us feel like it is worth the money. First of all, they don't even call boarding for business class. Both flights we had to go up front and ask if we can board yet since they are boarding the masses first. Then in El Salvador, the guy checking the tickets even made it a point to avoid us. How rude. In flight meal from SFO to SAL, a 5.5 hr flight was literally a soggy sandwich, a water bottle, a tiny bag of chips and nuts. No other drinks available other than coffee, coke and apple juice (like the one you get in the hospital). Then from SAL to SJO, the plane had to be serviced, causing a major delay. Seriously I hope you read this before throwing your money away on this airline.

Original review: April 19, 2022

We traveled on 4/10/22 to Bogotá from IAD. Like I always do, I printed out my Kaiser Permanente COVID test result. The check in lady (who did not have an ID badge) but she was wearing fake eye lashes, did not accept the print out of COVID test results. I tried to explain her in many different ways, I showed her the letter with my results in my KP app and she yelled at me and threatened “if I don’t want to I won’t let you traveled at all.” She said those same words to another Traveler that had Kaiser P. We both were threatened by the same lady. My tickets were for business class. Don’t waste your money paying more for a better service. The food is the same as coach, the flight attendants seemed very tired and did not care about us. No movies to watch. All of the business class travelers were very disappointed.

Original review: April 12, 2022

Business class is about the seat but not the food or service anymore. Seats are comfortable but the food is terrible! Bring your own food for sure. LAX - Bogota: Service was great. Food was bad. They gave us a sandwich and bacon for lunch and for breakfast the same bacon but with eggs. They had nothing for a vegetarian. Embarrassing. We boarded last because of COVID policies they said. That makes absolutely no sense since business class is separate from economy, where boarding from back to front makes sense.

Bogota - LAX: Service was terrible and food was worse! They gave us very dry and terrible gnocchis (they were made of dry burned bread, not potato like normal gnocchi) for lunch and a sandwich with fruit for dinner. The flight attendants were terrible. All they did was chat and never came back to us to offer water or anything. And I don't mean me, I mean they never came to the business class cabin unless they had to serve the food. On departure we had to go back to the gate for half an hour and they never came to offer water or even see if we needed them. They were chatting about some family member going to the Rosario University, about another one breaking their leg...etc etc.

Two years ago I traveled with them too and they stole my husband's jacket! We went back to ask 10 min later and the jacket was gone. Someone said that the cleaning service had probably taken it. Horrible welcome to Colombia. I had to flight with them again this time because is the only non stop service to Bogota. Also, don't use their amenity kit. It's full of parabens and terrible ingredients.

Original review: April 11, 2022

This company is really bad, I just can't believe they are still in business. I traveled to El Salvador on March 30th 22, when I was checking the rude dude at the IAD airport name Mauricio ** asked several times to fit my bag into an small compartment they have to measure the bags. He clear saw the very first time that the bag fit but he acted as an arrogant person. If you travel in Avianca be prepared to be treated as a number and not as a human being. Also it looks like they discriminate persons over 40 years old because you will see at the counter only young people like in their early 20ist. To say something else I will say that when we arrived to San Salvador it was pouring so I saw water was coming from the roof of the plane, very unsafe situation and will never fly again with flying caskets.

Original review: April 7, 2022

This is the first review I’ve written of any kind…. Flew with Avianca For the first and last time. The avianca employees at the lax ticket counter were the rudest employees I’ve ever encountered, from any kind of business. The ‘manager’ named Dora would not even look away from her screen at me while I was asking her questions until she snapped at me and then lied and told me to go into a secure area and knock on the avianca office door. When they told me the area was for employees only, I was sure I misunderstood. I went back to her two more times with the same response. She then held up her hand to my face and said ‘I cannot with you’ and walked to the secure area she kept sending to. I asked the tsa employee who guarded said area, who said ‘dude they’re the worst’. You can’t make this ** up…. Unbelievably rude and offensive interaction with a paid employee of a corporation. I can’t believe they’re in business.

Original review: March 31, 2022

I have purchased on February 8 of 2022, tickets to return Travel with wife and two kids (8 months and 6 years old) from Cucuta to Bogota / Bogota to Miami (home). We are originally from Miami and we were visiting our family in Cucuta, Colombia from March 23 to March 27 of 2022. This tickets were only for March 27 2022. We took our first flight from Cucuta to Bogota, arrived to Bogota at 0955PM and passed all TSA to be at Gate 53 in ElDorado International Airport at 1005PM. The Flight from Bogota to was scheduled for 1110PM and it was on-time, gate opened at 1015PM. At the gate, the Avianca counter, the staff called Priority members and then rows 1-15, there was a long line so we waited before we boarded.

As the line got shorter, and closer to our seats previously purchased, we entered the line. Our seats were located at row 30, seats A, B, & C. As we wait in line there are 4 adults to right waiting to get check-in and two other people ahead of us getting their tickets scan. One gentleman in front of me asked the lady at the front to help him to fill out a form. The other gentleman in front of me gets his ticket scanned and the lady returns it back to him and security closes the gate. There are still at least 10 of us in line waiting to board with tickets that were bought, printed and with assigned seats. NOT ON STAND BY. The lady says we were late to the gate. Which we were not as they were still boarding.

This flight schedule to departure from Bogota at 1110PM and to arrive Miami by 0400AM. We had been at gate since 1005PM. At least 10 minutes earlier due to our previous flight (Cucuta-Bogota) also from Avianca, and before they started boarding, not late. We were literally waiting in line to board. I was standing behind the lady at the Avianca’s counter to check-in, while my wife was asking the same questions as the rest of the remaining passengers in line, and saw the entire seat chart on the flight was taken already including the seats 30B and 30C (Two of the seats we’ve purchased), with guest who were on standby on the left hand side of the counter lady, not in the line. She offered to re-book the flight for next day (Flight AV004, At 0100pm), which we refused.

Immediately, another lady from Avianca approached and told us to follow her, the counter lady gave her our passports and we had no other option but follow her. She mentioned that we will take another flight on the next day and they will provide us with more details and that she will put us in contact to speak to a Manager to manage the change. As we move to another location, They’ve open the gate and let the 4 adults standing to the left of the Avianca counter check-in entered the plane! We were in shock and disbelief! I have kids with me at 1145PM waiting to get home! The flight departure in front of our eyes, we had work Monday morning and the older kid had school as well.

We spoke to this Manager who offered Hotel, dinner, breakfast and a voucher which we declined and originally to put us to the next flight to Miami for 0845AM of next day. Tired of arguing and feeling devastated for the kids, We’ve asked for our baggage to bring it to the hotel, with our kids walking El Dorado Airport and standing next to the Baggage claim area until 0111AM needed for baby food mainly, at 0125AM the Avianca person that was handling the involuntary change returned our passports and left. We were told by another Avianca representative that came right again that a shuttle will come to pick us up. There where two men taking pics and videos of us our stuff and even the baby, both man identified with Avianca badges and the new lady laughing of the situation.

I recorded part of it because I found that very unprofessional; the same lady that took us to the shuttle sees me recording a video of one of these two other man from Avianca and came to me to try to stop me, I stopped the recording and asked what was the purpose and who were these man. She didn’t answer and asked me to delete my video multiple times, which I denied. We got to the hotel at 0150AM. The voucher issued from the airline for dinner did not work due to the late time as well as the breakfast since we were told to be at the airport at 0530AM for the new flight, so we basically didn’t eat anything that night and we had to pay out of pocket our breakfast for the next day. My kids were on 2 hours of sleep.

The next day, March 28, We got to the airport at 5 am for the 0835AM flight AV0126 booked by the Avianca counter check-in lady at the gate 53. We got to the airport at 0540AM to board and check-in our baggage once again, the lady at the check-in told us that Avianca has a COVID-19 policy were your COVID test is not accepted if it’s not within 24hours prior your flight and since our COVID-19 test was expired. The same lady told us to re-do the test otherwise we could not board into the 0845AM flight and then she holds our tickets and return our passports, I asked to speak to a manager and he told me that per CDC guidelines COVID test need to be that way. Which is wrong.

I mentioned that we barely slept 2 hours, that we all got tested hours before to our scheduled flight, that we have a 6 year old kid with autism that doesn’t want to get tested again and that they booked us that flight knowing our requirements. He was very rude and answered to me “Oh so you and your family will get trapped in the airport until you decide to provide me with the right date”, after I told him: My child should not have to go thru that pain again. The way they test in Colombia is incorrect and doesn't need to go all the way up nostril again per CDC. We had the test done and we wnet back to the airport and waited for results, which were obtained via email by the lab at 0908AM, made another line to speak to the Avianca Check-in staff that was rotated by then and got assigned to a new flight AV004 for 0114PM, we check-in and got tickets, this time there were not seats assigned and no gate for departure.

I asked the Avianca Counter lady and she told me to check on the screens to find the gate number. We passed TSA around 0920AM and got to the gate 49 at 0946AM. I talked to the person in charge of this flight which let us in to finally come back home. We got back to Miami International Airport at 0610PM, and while waiting at belt 2 to Avianca’s baggage claim we now encounter that 1 of the 3 checked bags is missing and that we have to open a claim to process the search.

I don't understand how you can let someone who purchased tickets around 45 days prior to the flight not get in the airplane with two small children and have them wait, even though the check-in was done in Cucuta from a connecting flight with the same Avianca Airlines and didn't get to hotel until almost 3AM after check-in to the hotel. My kids were crying from hunger and exhaustion. This was the worst experience, Everything in the middle of a pandemic situation where they are strict to ask you to enter and evacuate an airplane in order, but they overbook and re-sale tickets however they want.

Original review: March 22, 2022

I received the card as a refund, but from Canada it is impossible to apply it to a trip without actually being in Colombia. Called customer service several times, and got nowhere. Terrible service, and rude agents that do not help.

Original review: March 1, 2022

Just bought a ticket with friend for a exact date and time. Until the payment page, the date was exact. After I paid and have received the ticket number, magically date was totally different. I called Customer Service and explained how that happened and seriously, this girl was not able to help me at all. It was unfair that I have to pay $200 extra just few minutes ago from purchase. I would accepted if I only did the mistake, but it was not me. This is really unfair.

Avianca Company Information