3.37/5

161 Avianca Consumer Reviews

Original review: March 11, 2019

My experience with this airline it’s the worst ever. I booked a round trip from Chicago to Guayaquil and to began the flight was delayed from Chicago one hour and a half. However when we arrived to Bogota the airline was never aware of the delay and I had to run with my 70 year old mom to the other side of the airport because otherwise we wouldn’t be able to make it to the gate. (By the way they never provide a gate number, I had to figured out in my own). Either way we were able to make it to the flight but when we arrived in Guayaquil our luggage never did. I had to wait until next day and because of my onsite se that I was able to pick up my luggage after a series of difficulties presented by Avianca personal el Guayaquil.

Now leaving today from Guayaquil today on March 11 2019 my flight arrived in Bogota by 1130 and since my mom had a wheelchair assistance they took 45 min before they get us to the conexión gate, however by then it was really late even that the wheelchair assistant notified them that we were going to Chicago to which the person at the desk responded that the flight was delay and that we were still on time to make it to the flight. It took us ten minutes to make it to the gate but by then they closed the doors even that they were notified that we were coming.

This airline is the worst I ever had especially their customer service. They don’t really look after their travelers who are the ones who pay their salaries but either nobody cares or they just don’t have a real customer service training. Based on the experience I will never flight with this airline but the most important thing is that I will never recommend to anyone even if the price could be tempting... It’s not worth it.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

I had a non-stop round trip reservation Boston-Bogota-Boston. Yesterday I was informed by United Airlines (I am a frequent flyer member and purchased this ticket through them) that Avianca decided to cancel my non-stop Bogota-Boston, and instead put me on a 1-stop flight. here are my reasons for this 1-star review: My original flight time was departing Bogota at 1:15 pm arriving nonstop to Boston at 8:21 pm. Perfect time for me to get up in the morning and for my wife to pick me up in the evening form the airport. THAT IS WHY I SELECTED AND PAID FOR THIS RESERVATION!!!

Avianca rescheduled me on a flight departing 4:59 am with a 50 min plane change stop in none other than El Salvador. Not only that it would have just given me 50 min to change planes, something that I will never schedule as you risk missing your connecting flight, but this would have automatically increased the chances for my bag to suddenly disappear and never make it to Boston. This is an itinerary I would never choose on my own.

Who knows if tomorrow or next week, Avianca decides to also change my non-stop flight Boston-Bogota. I won't take that risk. I guess Avianca is very good at taking reservations, but very bad at what is more important, that actual holding of the reservations. Avianca should have reached out to me directly to offer me something to compensate me for their incompetence, or at least an apology, as they rescheduled me on a very crappy flight. I would still have canceled the whole reservation and re-booked it with a different airline, but at least I won't be writing this review.

It is one thing that I decide to take my own risks and bring discomfort on to myself, but it is a different story if those risks and discomforts are imposed onto me by someone else. I will not allow that! I am a paying customer, not a beggar. I canceled my reservation all together through United and got a 100% refund. I used Avianca about 12 years ago. Not a good experience either as the seats were pure wood with just a liner, there was no padding at all. I only thought of using Aviance this time because of the convenience of their non-stop flights... so much for that! Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

The Worst line ever, after their website did not provide a purchase confirmation, we bought the same ticket twice (same hour, date, destination), and they denied the refund and credit the money and we were supposed to use the ticket to travel to Guatemala. Now that we have called several times to their call center, they find only half of the ticket to Guatemala. They made a mistake at the airport and have us as we use the ticket but we were never aboard. They want to charge us fees for change the flight when we never change it. We are not able to use the same tickets twice! They still have almost $1000 for tickets and they do not reimburse any money! Their call center is the worst ever. No one is able to solve anything!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

I was thinking of flying on Avianca, but after my conversation with a CSR and reading all the reviews, I will not. Considering all the horrible things said about the actually flying experience, I'm lucky I never got that far. I was at their website trying to decide if I was going to book my flight from NYC to Sao Paulo, but could not find ANY information about what the seating was like in business promo versus economy or business. First I scoured the site, but there was literally NO information. Then I tried a chat, but that person could only help with website questions.

Then I call CS and was told that without setting up a profile and giving them all my personal information, she could not give me any information...and I mean NOTHING. I asked if she could tell me if meals and drinks were included and she said she couldn't tell me anything without first setting up my profile and getting my personal information. Told her that was too bad and they had just lost a potential customer and that I would never fly with them. Now I've read the other reviews, I'm so glad I did.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

We boarded the plane and after sitting about an hour the pilot announced there would be a delay because they could not start the engines. It was very hot and stuffy on the plane as the air conditioners were not working. The flight attendants disappeared... They were hiding somewhere... After a few hours people literally stood up and began chanting "Open the door! Open the door!". They eventually let us off the plane, and after re-boarding they made us sit there for another hour because of a "...delay in authorization to take off". As a result of the 4+ hour delay we missed our connection flight and were stranded in Lima. We went to the Avianca ticket counter and asked if they could help us as we were stranded.

The Woman at the counter was extremely rude. When we asked for help she didn't say anything, just looked annoyed and grabbed a pad of complaint forms from a cabinet, threw it on the counter and walked away. Literally...just took off...went to lunch or something. We could not read the form because it was all in Spanish. End result...we had to get a hotel and buy new tickets out of Lima costing us ~$1200.00 and two days of our vacation. My advice...STAY AWAY from this airline if you have a choice.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avianca?

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

There are 2 types of companies, the real ones, and the Colombia mobsters! I purchase a ticket 4 months in advance. Then 2 weeks later I try to change my tickets. After 1 hour 20 minutes on the phone, they told me that the penalty was $450 each ticket. Do not do business with them, they still have Pablo Escobar in their veins!

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

I was verbally harassed, intimidated, treated horrible and not granted and able to travel on Oct. 2, 2018 by the Avianca front counter staff/employees at the Airport in SAP-Honduras. Here are the details of what I experienced with this horrible substandard and unprofessional Airline; I scheduled to fly back home to Los Angeles (US) on October 2, 2018 from San Pedro Sula, Honduras after a 5-day vacation trip. I even checked in on-line 24 hours before on October 1, 2018, as I usually do when I travel. I still arrived at the airport 3 hours before to be safe being an international flight. However, when I went to the Avianca front counter to check in myself and luggage the first thing I saw was two full passenger lines as it appeared they had another delayed flight, the pre-checked passengers line had only a few passengers.

I ran into an Avianca Staff at the beginning of the lines her name was Christel ** who seemed already upset due to their situation and I asked her which line was the pre-checked in line? She replied very rude and was sarcastic it does not matter which line but and pointed it out. I waited one hours and thirty minutes while all the passengers were complaining too and frustrated. They did not tell the passengers at any given time what was going and did not care. The Avianca employees were actually arguing with the passengers and verbally mistreating them (like take it or leave deal). There was a passenger going to Panama that they took off the flight the day before (10/1/18) for no reason and she told me she was there on time and they sold her seat, and they wanted to charge her $1,200 and had to put with their bad behavior and was able to travel the next day 10/2/10.

Things were so bad at the front counter that you can feel the tension and the employees just finding a reason to argue as they feel empower to do whatever they want with the passengers, and not let them travel, and then change their flight to charge them extra fees. The passengers were asking for the supervisor at the front counter and the staff refused to call the supervisor. After a long journey waiting in-line for 90 minutes and dealing with the unpleasant environment created by the Avianca employees because they did not want to admit they had their front counter overcrowded due to the other delayed flight, I was called to the front counter and ran into the same staff, Christel **. He was already upset and had been arguing with the passengers who was not even properly trained to work at the front counter but was asked to help at front due to their crisis at the moment.

However, she started getting rude again and arguing so I asked her what was going on and she wouldn't explain. I told her I had plans to submit a formal complaint in writing to Avianca and I also asked to call her supervisor to which she refused. She kept arguing and upset and I said to her please just give the boarding passes as I only have an hour and twenty minutes to get the boarding area. She started making up excuses but checked in my luggage and gave me the boarding passes finally, and I told her I still wanted to see her supervisor. Her supervisor never showed so I had to get to the boarding area so I left, on my way to it I checked immigration to exit the country and I was called in to come to the front counter to speak to the supervisor Amy ** so they made me come back through immigration when she could have come to the boarding area waiting room.

I told her what happened, how unpleasant it was and how rude her employee was and my feedback I will be given to Avianca. Instead of helping the situation this so called supervisor Amy ** who did not even speak English was rude too and had a bad attitude as Christel ** did and also did not either English, they took me off the flight as an act of retaliation because I complained and told them I would do it in writing too to Avianca. I was shocked and useless as this supervisor was just an acting one, and took the liberty to intimidate me and treated as she please disrespectfully and made up a bad excuse with her employee Christel to not let me fly that day, and also charge me. First Amy ** the supervisor wanted to charge $850 to change my flight and I told that did not make any sense and I had not even paid that for the ticket, then she said let me check if the other flight has space.

By this time I had waited over 3 hours, she come back to the front counter an hour plus later and tells there is no space left. She put me on the next flight for no reason just to satisfy her ego and charged $230 more to fly the next day. Additionally I had to stay at a Hotel and pay for other expenses, food, transportation, etc., that I also spent an additional $600 more or so. These two employees Amy ** and Christel ** should have been terminated from this airline to show the other employees that misconduct is not allow and bad behavior is not productive, there are procedures to follow and good customer service to have and display professionally, and if they don't they will be disciplined and/or suspended, or terminated.

I wrote an entire full complaint to the airline that took me a few days to structure and to go back and forth to get the forms, I sent them plenty of evidence of what they did wrong, they did not acknowledge anything after over a month going back and forth, and they declined my claim and denied compensation and to refund me over $800 in total I spend because they simply did not feel in the mood for to fly on Oct. 2, 2018 and wanted to show off how they enjoy screwing the passenger this way.

PS. Consumer Affairs should consider along with the Department of Transportation to investigate this Avianca Airline, and to fine and revoke their flying credential to not be allowed to fly in the US and surrounding countries. There is way too many negative complaints about this airline and enough is enough. Something needs to be with them to improve their unprofessional business to steal money from the passengers and to improve their terrible customer service and claims Department. They never return call or discuss the complaints on the phone, just the no thanks emails. Avianca does not even deserve one star it should a -start negative star instead.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I’ve had several incidents with HORRIBLE airlines in the last few months. First we purchased a ticket for my aunt to visit us In LA from El Salvador. When she arrived at the airport in El Salvador she was informed that the flight was overbooked and she would have to wait for the next flight. Her initial flight was 7am and she got pushed back until 9 pm. They gave her 200 for the inconvenience and told her it was her fault for not doing early check in. When we try to use the 200 later they would allow us to buy it online. They wanted us to buy with a representative and that meant that 490 flight was now 700. And again they said it was our fault. Not sure how.

Next incident we had bought a ticket way in advance for a graduation. Unfortunately there was an unexpected death in the family and when we try to switch the flight and have 370 dollar fee waived they said they couldn’t because the death didn’t fall within the fifteen day policy they had. Since it was an emergency we paid the difference and booked two extra seats on their flight (that was my mistake).

When we arrived at the airport check in they asked if we wanted to give up our seats voluntarily because they overbooked. We said, "No. We have a funeral and burial to get to." We then proceed to check in where we were informed that 2 out of 3 tickets were canceled for lack of confirmation. But if we wanted we could get seats in their 10pm flight. But to hurry because it was filling up fast. When I tried to talk to the manager on site she informed that she could only talk and help after everyone would be checked in and it would be about three hours. THIS IS A HORRIBLE AIRLINE, they continue to screw people over. And my money has been sent back yet. Pay extra and fly with another airlines.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

I called Avianca Customer Service just to find out if there was a departure fee from the US to Colombia and vice-versa. The CSR asked me to provide an ID or passport to answer my question. I was at work and told the CSR so and he said that without an ID he couldn't answer my question. I thought that was the most ridiculous requirement ever since I have never been asked for an ID at any other airline to answer any of the questions I've had.

I asked to talk to the supervisor and had to wait for 11 minutes for him to grab the phone to tell me that they can't answer the question without an ID because they just started a new program in which they pretty much are just creating a profile of their customers to get to know them better. I told him that I didn't want to be in their database and that what I was asking was just a simple question that I have actually found on-line while for him! I proceeded to ask him, "What if I didn't have a ticket yet? Would you answer the question?" Got no answer from him but just the same BS "without the ID we can't answer the question" I haven't even flown with them yet and I am already disappointed with their poor customer service!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

Flying to Bogota from London was fine and no complaints but the moment we arrived my wife her sister and myself arrived in Cartagena it all started to unravel... where we were informed that both my wife and her sister's luggage hadn't arrived. They promised that when it did they would forward them to our location which was lucky as the first place was 5 hours away and we were staying for 3 days before moving on.

On the second day of our stay my sister in law's bags arrived and no sign of my wife's so we decided to buy some clothes for my wife and hoped as the staff at the airport said buy some and keep the receipts. We continued with our vacation with constant contact to see where my wife's baggage was and told it's on its way and will meet up with us. Which later turned out to be a pack of lies from Avianca Airways. As the baggage never arrived for the 18 day trip so my wife had to borrow her sister's and my clothes as we decided that Avianca couldn't be trusted to even refund the clothes she had bought. When we eventually arrived back in London surprise surprise her bag had never left Great Britain to start with.

At this point more than a little annoyed with this we asked Avianca for an apology and to sort out the refund for my wife's clothes which she spent $200 including a bag to carry. This was last October and we have tried emailing customer services several times and every time no response. Without doubt the very worst airline on the planet (we have traveled with quite a few) ever. If you lose your luggage don't expect a sympathetic ear with Avianca. I don't want to even give them a star rating.

Avianca Company Information