2. Travel
  3. Airlines

3.8/5 (139 ratings)

About Avianca

Avianca Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avianca?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avianca?

Original review: Nov. 21, 2020

To be clear, this review is all about the customer service when it comes to resolving a flight booking. My wife and I are travelling to Colombia in December, my wife business with our baby and I was travelling in economy. I contact customer service via phone (which takes 1 hour to connect and then a further 4-5hrs discussing the same issue) - to see if I can upgrade to business to which they say and send me a payment link, they say it takes 8hrs to confirm upgrade. So I wait and await, and I end up calling them 24hrs later, then 48hrs later and again and again, when I speak to customer support team they tell me the bank is still processing payment.

I then learn 4 days later that the payment hasn't been taken (I check with my bank) and Avianca have cancelled my standard and not informed me. I then spend another 5 days, with various people who won't help and then finally I have to pay a further £600 to have my original ticket. In total the entire process took 5 days and each day I spent on average 5hrs on the phone. Terrible customer service and I recommend you never fly with them.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2020

We booked a flight London - San Cristobal which was canceled due to the pandemic. Then we asked for a refund but hadn't received it for 5 months. We used a voucher to book another flight Quito - San Cristobal on September 3d. The flight was AV1636. We had to buy another ticket to Quito. Two days before the flight we contacted Avianca using the chat and they confirmed that the flight AV1636 was scheduled on time. When we arrived in Quito and tried to check-in for AV1636 but we couldn't.

We contact Avianca using the chat and another guy told us that the flight was canceled a long time ago and they didn't even notice us. So I am assuming they sell tickets to not-existing flights. It is a fraud. We don't know what is going on in the management of Avianca company but we don't trust them anymore. Our friends who booked a similar flight with Latam have already received a refund.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

Bought a round trip that needed to be cancelled. Terrible service, mixed information, no replies, they never follow up with anything. It took me 5 months and a complaint to an outside agency to get a response.

Original review: March 21, 2020

I canceled our two tickets in January on their website. I had to contact them 30 days later when I never received the refund. I was asked for my bank acct info for direct deposit because I had booked through Priceline and could not get credit card refund. I gave it to them over a month ago, and still no refund deposited to my acct. They cannot say it got lost in the mail! So where is it? Base on other complaints I have seen, I wonder if I will ever get it!

Original review: March 16, 2020

Avianca is the worst airline ever and has a terrible customer service!! They let me wait for 2 hours 48 minutes on the phone today March 15, 2020. When, finally they answer I asked them to change my itinerary and they told me I have to pay $1,300 for the change when the airplane is basically empty. People is afraid to fly due the Coronavirus and Avianca is just expensive rip-off company. I will not recommend it to anyone. They had changed flights to us in the past with no reason and they never refund anything but when we need to change flights they just grossly overpriced. I hope they are not continue in business and people choose another airlines.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2020

Second time flying Avianca and it is the worst airline ever when it comes to the culture of sneaking in to your pockets for more money and you will arrive 45 minutes to a flight and it is already closed. Just so convenient for them. Charge you another $750,000 for another flight. In my way back again they found a way to charge me for the luggage. That was ok at 12 kilograms before but now on my way back it wasn’t. There we go with another $139,000 for the luggage. It is a disgrace of a airline, poor customer service, and the people who attend you clearly show signs of enjoyment when they found a way of getting the money out of the customers. It is clearly a disgrace of a company.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

This is by far the most horrible experience ever. I had a trip scheduled and arrived 5 min later the scheduled time to check in. The lady at the Avianca counter was checking in others. However, when it was my turn to check in she didn’t even check my ticket or ask me anything and just say I’m not allowed to be there anymore. She said “there are no more trips, all the planes left at this moment”. I felt really discriminated and frustrated as a first time customer traveling with this airline and having such a negative experience with Avianca.

I called customer service and complained about this situation. After speaking to many customer service agents, nobody solved my issue. There was an agent who left me on hold for about 30 min and never came back to the phone. You think my time is a joke or I have time to fool around?... I called again and they couldn’t refund or reschedule my trip. I lasted about one hour and a half on the phone with one of the agents and there was no point because nothing was resolved. They ended up taking my money and expected me to pay a fee of more than $300. Are you kidding me?? It wasn’t even my fault. The lady at the counter checking in people and their customer service agents don’t have any customer skills, nobody here is helpful at all. They don’t care about you as a customer, it’s all about the money and fees. Avianca wants to take money away from customers just like that. I have to pay $991 for a new trip all thanks for listening to their employees. I’m never traveling with this airlines ever again!!! I’m learning from this experience. Worst!!!

Original review: Dec. 24, 2019

**Best Avoided** Note - we have only flown twice with Avianca and we are not fluent in Spanish. The costs mentioned are for two people. 1st Trip - 2nd portion delayed until next day. They did provide a hotel for the night. However we missed our $80 shuttle and the 1st day of our vacation ($$?). 2nd Trip - 1st portion delayed and type of plane changed last minute so we could not check baggage. We had to depose of personal items ($100?) that could not be in carry-on, The delay caused us to be late for the 2nd portion and miss our connecting train ($120) and so we had to arrange alternative transportation last minute (flights cost $520). We also missed 24 hrs of family time the day of Christmas Eve (priceless).

We interacted with perhaps 12 staff during our trip, asking for Avianca to change the final destination to where the train was intended to get us to. Two were sympathetic and the remaining ten were incapable or incompetent. They would tell us to stand in one line only to be later told that we had to go to another line until finally we had to catch our flight. Avianca will not take responsibility when they fail to fulfill the contract made when purchasing a ticket.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

I bought boyfriend his flight ticket to Madrid from Lima with my credit card. So we got the confirmation ticket and all. And when we went to the airport they told us he didn’t have a ticket that my card got rejected by the company (Avianca). But yet I still have it charged on my credit card. They said they emailed us to inform it was cancelled but we didn’t get anything. And I don’t get how it can be cancelled when we got like 3 confirmation emails, confirmation code and number plus the charge on my credit card since October. So they made us buy another ticket. We got that ticket since October for $450. Today was $725. And they just told me to handle it with my bank to give me my $400 back. But yet their airline is the one that charged. And to be grateful there was still tickets on that flight. -_-

Never fly with avianca! I called the called center and this is long distance from my phone (more money they are making me spend) and they all don't help at all and are rude! They just try to explain how the airline didn’t accept my payment yet charged me and it’s not their fault. Makes no sense. This is stealing! They ruined my last hours of vacations. My boyfriend and I hadn’t seen each other for a year and these were our last hours together since I live in USA and he lives in France. So instead Of enjoying our last minutes together we were extremely stressed.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2019

I take 6 flights every month. I use Avianca frequently but on most occasions they are late departure. I have missed several connections this year which has cost me additional for purchase of new flights, taxis and hotel rooms and more importantly missed meetings. I have sent several complaints (to lodge a complaint with avianca is not easy as the process seems designed to put you off) with initial replies saying avianca don’t reimburse as it’s not their fault. Now they don’t reply. Last week I flew from Barranquilla to Buenos Aires. I booked the earlier 4pm flight “just in case” and yes it departed 1 hour 40 minutes late. Which meant again I had to run through Bogota airport to passport control and to the gate. I get there, then receive an email advising this flight is delayed. Again I get to Buenos Aires late, miss my connection then have to take the 1 hour taxi to another airport to get the next Aerolineas Argentina flight.

However, when we landed late in Bogota we had no gate, so again it’s on the bus to the terminal. Whilst waiting for the other passengers I see an engineer inspect the aircraft. He was using his cell phone light to inspect the turbine. I videod this as I couldn’t believe it and sure others won’t believe it. It doesn’t surprise me I suppose. if leadership are tolerant of shoddy service it’s likely to flow to every other department. I detest avianca. Yes I’m a diamond member but use this airline as my schedule forces me to. I have burnt up many $ with this airline, they owe me $3200 for months and say it will be returned soon, but if not here is your case number just in case it doesn’t. Worst airline ever. I suggest to anyone considering using avianca make it your last option.

Avianca Company Information