3.2/5 (131 ratings)

About Avianca

Avianca Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avianca?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avianca?

Original review: April 12, 2022

Business class is about the seat but not the food or service anymore. Seats are comfortable but the food is terrible! Bring your own food for sure. LAX - Bogota: Service was great. Food was bad. They gave us a sandwich and bacon for lunch and for breakfast the same bacon but with eggs. They had nothing for a vegetarian. Embarrassing. We boarded last because of COVID policies they said. That makes absolutely no sense since business class is separate from economy, where boarding from back to front makes sense.

Bogota - LAX: Service was terrible and food was worse! They gave us very dry and terrible gnocchis (they were made of dry burned bread, not potato like normal gnocchi) for lunch and a sandwich with fruit for dinner. The flight attendants were terrible. All they did was chat and never came back to us to offer water or anything. And I don't mean me, I mean they never came to the business class cabin unless they had to serve the food. On departure we had to go back to the gate for half an hour and they never came to offer water or even see if we needed them. They were chatting about some family member going to the Rosario University, about another one breaking their leg...etc etc.

Two years ago I traveled with them too and they stole my husband's jacket! We went back to ask 10 min later and the jacket was gone. Someone said that the cleaning service had probably taken it. Horrible welcome to Colombia. I had to flight with them again this time because is the only non stop service to Bogota. Also, don't use their amenity kit. It's full of parabens and terrible ingredients.

Original review: April 11, 2022

This company is really bad, I just can't believe they are still in business. I traveled to El Salvador on March 30th 22, when I was checking the rude dude at the IAD airport name Mauricio ** asked several times to fit my bag into an small compartment they have to measure the bags. He clear saw the very first time that the bag fit but he acted as an arrogant person. If you travel in Avianca be prepared to be treated as a number and not as a human being. Also it looks like they discriminate persons over 40 years old because you will see at the counter only young people like in their early 20ist. To say something else I will say that when we arrived to San Salvador it was pouring so I saw water was coming from the roof of the plane, very unsafe situation and will never fly again with flying caskets.

Original review: April 7, 2022

This is the first review I’ve written of any kind…. Flew with Avianca For the first and last time. The avianca employees at the lax ticket counter were the rudest employees I’ve ever encountered, from any kind of business. The ‘manager’ named Dora would not even look away from her screen at me while I was asking her questions until she snapped at me and then lied and told me to go into a secure area and knock on the avianca office door. When they told me the area was for employees only, I was sure I misunderstood. I went back to her two more times with the same response. She then held up her hand to my face and said ‘I cannot with you’ and walked to the secure area she kept sending to. I asked the tsa employee who guarded said area, who said ‘dude they’re the worst’. You can’t make this ** up…. Unbelievably rude and offensive interaction with a paid employee of a corporation. I can’t believe they’re in business.

Original review: March 31, 2022

I have purchased on February 8 of 2022, tickets to return Travel with wife and two kids (8 months and 6 years old) from Cucuta to Bogota / Bogota to Miami (home). We are originally from Miami and we were visiting our family in Cucuta, Colombia from March 23 to March 27 of 2022. This tickets were only for March 27 2022. We took our first flight from Cucuta to Bogota, arrived to Bogota at 0955PM and passed all TSA to be at Gate 53 in ElDorado International Airport at 1005PM. The Flight from Bogota to was scheduled for 1110PM and it was on-time, gate opened at 1015PM. At the gate, the Avianca counter, the staff called Priority members and then rows 1-15, there was a long line so we waited before we boarded.

As the line got shorter, and closer to our seats previously purchased, we entered the line. Our seats were located at row 30, seats A, B, & C. As we wait in line there are 4 adults to right waiting to get check-in and two other people ahead of us getting their tickets scan. One gentleman in front of me asked the lady at the front to help him to fill out a form. The other gentleman in front of me gets his ticket scanned and the lady returns it back to him and security closes the gate. There are still at least 10 of us in line waiting to board with tickets that were bought, printed and with assigned seats. NOT ON STAND BY. The lady says we were late to the gate. Which we were not as they were still boarding.

This flight schedule to departure from Bogota at 1110PM and to arrive Miami by 0400AM. We had been at gate since 1005PM. At least 10 minutes earlier due to our previous flight (Cucuta-Bogota) also from Avianca, and before they started boarding, not late. We were literally waiting in line to board. I was standing behind the lady at the Avianca’s counter to check-in, while my wife was asking the same questions as the rest of the remaining passengers in line, and saw the entire seat chart on the flight was taken already including the seats 30B and 30C (Two of the seats we’ve purchased), with guest who were on standby on the left hand side of the counter lady, not in the line. She offered to re-book the flight for next day (Flight AV004, At 0100pm), which we refused.

Immediately, another lady from Avianca approached and told us to follow her, the counter lady gave her our passports and we had no other option but follow her. She mentioned that we will take another flight on the next day and they will provide us with more details and that she will put us in contact to speak to a Manager to manage the change. As we move to another location, They’ve open the gate and let the 4 adults standing to the left of the Avianca counter check-in entered the plane! We were in shock and disbelief! I have kids with me at 1145PM waiting to get home! The flight departure in front of our eyes, we had work Monday morning and the older kid had school as well.

We spoke to this Manager who offered Hotel, dinner, breakfast and a voucher which we declined and originally to put us to the next flight to Miami for 0845AM of next day. Tired of arguing and feeling devastated for the kids, We’ve asked for our baggage to bring it to the hotel, with our kids walking El Dorado Airport and standing next to the Baggage claim area until 0111AM needed for baby food mainly, at 0125AM the Avianca person that was handling the involuntary change returned our passports and left. We were told by another Avianca representative that came right again that a shuttle will come to pick us up. There where two men taking pics and videos of us our stuff and even the baby, both man identified with Avianca badges and the new lady laughing of the situation.

I recorded part of it because I found that very unprofessional; the same lady that took us to the shuttle sees me recording a video of one of these two other man from Avianca and came to me to try to stop me, I stopped the recording and asked what was the purpose and who were these man. She didn’t answer and asked me to delete my video multiple times, which I denied. We got to the hotel at 0150AM. The voucher issued from the airline for dinner did not work due to the late time as well as the breakfast since we were told to be at the airport at 0530AM for the new flight, so we basically didn’t eat anything that night and we had to pay out of pocket our breakfast for the next day. My kids were on 2 hours of sleep.

The next day, March 28, We got to the airport at 5 am for the 0835AM flight AV0126 booked by the Avianca counter check-in lady at the gate 53. We got to the airport at 0540AM to board and check-in our baggage once again, the lady at the check-in told us that Avianca has a COVID-19 policy were your COVID test is not accepted if it’s not within 24hours prior your flight and since our COVID-19 test was expired. The same lady told us to re-do the test otherwise we could not board into the 0845AM flight and then she holds our tickets and return our passports, I asked to speak to a manager and he told me that per CDC guidelines COVID test need to be that way. Which is wrong.

I mentioned that we barely slept 2 hours, that we all got tested hours before to our scheduled flight, that we have a 6 year old kid with autism that doesn’t want to get tested again and that they booked us that flight knowing our requirements. He was very rude and answered to me “Oh so you and your family will get trapped in the airport until you decide to provide me with the right date”, after I told him: My child should not have to go thru that pain again. The way they test in Colombia is incorrect and doesn't need to go all the way up nostril again per CDC. We had the test done and we wnet back to the airport and waited for results, which were obtained via email by the lab at 0908AM, made another line to speak to the Avianca Check-in staff that was rotated by then and got assigned to a new flight AV004 for 0114PM, we check-in and got tickets, this time there were not seats assigned and no gate for departure.

I asked the Avianca Counter lady and she told me to check on the screens to find the gate number. We passed TSA around 0920AM and got to the gate 49 at 0946AM. I talked to the person in charge of this flight which let us in to finally come back home. We got back to Miami International Airport at 0610PM, and while waiting at belt 2 to Avianca’s baggage claim we now encounter that 1 of the 3 checked bags is missing and that we have to open a claim to process the search.

I don't understand how you can let someone who purchased tickets around 45 days prior to the flight not get in the airplane with two small children and have them wait, even though the check-in was done in Cucuta from a connecting flight with the same Avianca Airlines and didn't get to hotel until almost 3AM after check-in to the hotel. My kids were crying from hunger and exhaustion. This was the worst experience, Everything in the middle of a pandemic situation where they are strict to ask you to enter and evacuate an airplane in order, but they overbook and re-sale tickets however they want.

Original review: March 22, 2022

I received the card as a refund, but from Canada it is impossible to apply it to a trip without actually being in Colombia. Called customer service several times, and got nowhere. Terrible service, and rude agents that do not help.

Original review: March 1, 2022

Just bought a ticket with friend for a exact date and time. Until the payment page, the date was exact. After I paid and have received the ticket number, magically date was totally different. I called Customer Service and explained how that happened and seriously, this girl was not able to help me at all. It was unfair that I have to pay $200 extra just few minutes ago from purchase. I would accepted if I only did the mistake, but it was not me. This is really unfair.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2022

Very uncomfortable trip in the economy class. Seat does not move. Extra inspection check in process even after you have passed security at the airport with no clear explanation of why. Bad food. Boarding is very messy.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2022

Waited in line to check in, 3 flights around the same time. Never was notified my fly was about to depart. Was left behind. Could not talk to a supervisor after I waited for over an hour. Paid a lot of money to book a new flight.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2022

I called your contact centre at 10:48 AM est and waited on the phone for over 1 hour to speak to agent. I explained that I would like to change our family's flight from San Cristobal to Guayaquil Ecuador to depart from Baltra Island instead. The agent searched for the fares and put me on hold for 20 minutes let me know that the cost difference would be approx $58 per person. I agreed to pay and needed my name, address, phone number, birthdates, passport information, spelling of all passengers. After I shared this, she proceeded to transfer me to the telephone queue where I was to insert my credit card information. After inputting my credit card, the system disconnected me. I lost over 1 and a half hours of my time on this call.

I then called back at 12:29 pm and again had to wait over a one (1) hour to speak to an agent. An agent took my call and then she put me on hold and then disconnected me!! I called a THIRD time and waited for another hour to finally speak to an agent, named Jose who helped me. He processed my request and transferred me to the queue to insert my credit card information. I had to repeat everything that I had the first time, my name, address, phone number, birthdates, passport information, spelling of all passengers. I inputted my credit card into the system and Jose came back to the phone and asked me the hold while he processed my information. He put me on hold for another 35 minutes! When he came back on the call, he hung up on me. I still don't have a confirmed ticket even though I paid for it.

Their contact centre systems do not seem to be integrated and the reps have very little authority to help. I have been transferred to website/online agents who needed to transfer me back to 'sales' agents to help me with the same ticket issue. Each time I was transferred, I had to wait in queue for over 45 minutes each time. SO FRUSTRATING!!

Original review: Dec. 18, 2021

My husband & I flew to Honduras to help with the children's rescue mission for 10 days. 2 days before our flight home my husband received an email stating the airport had been changed.. A an hour further away. So like any normal person he called the airline. All numbers provided did not work (yes he dialed 00 or 01 or whatever they provided). He had been on the phone for at least 3 hours with no progress, so I checked their "What's app text" and got a number that just kept rambling the same recorded message, most times disconnecting me within 15 minutes on hold. I finally got a hold of someone, gave the phone to my husband and they talked for an hour before getting disconnected.

By the way originally we had 1st class tickets on our flights home. They told him we had economy tickets on our new flight and if we wanted to sit together it would be an extra $5 each but they weren't going to charge us for changing airports???? WTF!! We didn't change airports, they did! And it cost us $160 usd to check our 2 bags. We got to San Salvador, went to immigration where they asked us if we had our tax receipts from Avianca. Of course we had no idea what they were talking about. So we had to get out of line, walk across the airport to the avianca gate (at the end of their terminal) so we could get a piece of paper stamped and then go back to immigration because avianca didn't provide us with this.

All flights no beverage service, snack or food. We got on our flight this morning hungry and ready for coffee and a meal in first class but was offered water, coffee or warm coca cola (no other choices, no ice). Because of covid they want to keep you safe. Great!! 3 rows on right, 3 rows on the left can get off the plane, next 10 rows on right, next 10 rows on left, ok now everyone else.... Like what the heck!! I don't get what they are doing! Making stuff up. Oh my gosh. Ugggh. I don't want to sound snooty but... There is no priority line. There is no benefit to paying 3 times the amount of an economy seat. Never again Avianca! Never again!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2021

My father is flying my mother's remains back home to Costa Rica. Unfortunately, this airline has shamelessly price gouged him. There were some delays on this end due to Covid that were out of his control. His flight was approximately $490 and he had to make a change fee that the airline said was unavoidable. The EXACT SAME TICKET is now valued at $166 and Avianca is essentially saying it doesn't matter. So at this time, he has paid $690 for a ticket that is being currently advertised for $166 (including fees).

After waiting for 30 minutes on the phone, the "supervisor" tried to talk over me and ramble about how there is nothing that can be done and any changes would incur more fees. If he were to fly on a date closer to his original flight plan, the new charge would be an additional $200--making his grand total $890. A brand new ticket is $166. This airline is abusing an old man and hiding behind policies. Supervisors refuse to help and offer empty apologies. Managers are unavailable. No one wants to help or accept any sort of duty to attempt to rectify the situation. Shame on your company. I will advise my entire family locally and abroad to NEVER fly your airline--unless they want to be mistreated.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2021

I search for a flight and the website give me an error and it display a message to try again, same flight, dates ETC 100 dollars more per person and it was 3 of us flighting. Not a good company to trust and do business with.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2021

On July 8th, I filed for a refund for an amount of $1,321 USD on a flight I had bought the same date for work. I requested a refund due to the amount coming up to this amount of money for a one-way flight. I was notified of the amount by my bank's app notification. According to Avianca's website, their policy says "After filing the application with the financial institution issuing the electronic payment instrument used, Avianca and the issuing financial institution shall have a period of fifteen (15) working days to implement the reversal, if applicable." It will be 4 months on November 8th, 2021. I have called a vast amount of times, with them resorting to escalating the issue. I have not heard *anything* from *anybody*. I am aware there hundreds of lawsuits due to this situation. Their excuse is Covid. I suggest they either change their policy on their website or that they pay their customers. This has been a terrible experience and I will never fly with Avianca, ever.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2021

Refused to refund our cancelled flights despite it being the law. After a year of trying to get refund they have told the travel agent they’ve refunded the flight so they can’t take any more action but told us they haven’t refunded them and to speak to travel agent. Essentially just stole best part of £1000.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

UATP card. I am very upset with the quality of service from your airline. At approximately 10:00 pm on 10/5/2021 I attempted to purchase a ticket using the newly issued UATP card mentioned above via online. However, since the ticket price was higher than the original purchase I was not able to make the purchase online. I called Avianca a total of 3 times after that. The first time a man answered and offered to transfer my call to be able to make the purchase with 2 forms of payment. I was on hold for a long time and when someone finally answered the call hung up on Avianca's end.

The second time I called I was told that I was given the wrong information and could only purchase using a travel agent. Unsure whether one agent was correct in comparison to the other I called a 3rd time. I believe I happened to get the same agent from the 2nd call. She claimed it was not her but I'm pretty sure it was because of the same voice tone. She told me the same thing as before that I could only go to a travel agent. I think the card is much more inconvenient than using the voucher. I know this first hand because my wife used her voucher and was able to pay the difference with an agent on the phone through Avianca. Your company is making it more difficult for the customer to redeem that credit.

When I first tried to purchase a ticket about 2 weeks ago the same ticket was $80 cheaper. I was not able to purchase it with a card on the day of I wanted to purchase it because I was told it would take 11 days to receive this card via email. Your representative today informed me that there are no supervisors working and I would need to call back at 6 am. She also told me that besides that the supervisor would tell me the same information. Your representative was of no help and lacked the effort to problem-solve for me. She did not know what the term 'customer service' meant. I will not blame her too much because your company is the one who trained her. I also am blaming your company for trying to rob customers of their hard earn money. I am also blaming your company of robbing valuable time from customers trying to redeem a voucher/card. Many on hold times and many hours wasted.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

I have been trying to book my flight with Avianca for 1 week. Finally through their Whatsapp help option they sent a separate link and I booked my flight but the payment status said "being validated". I called my bank and there was no attempted charge. I called Avianca and they said the reservation was cancelled. If I didn't call Avianca I would have not known my reservation was cancelled. I was referred back to the website to book...but website was not working. The Avianca rep said he can help to book it but for $30 per passenger. So the customer has to pay more money for their website not working. I asked for the supervisor's name and he mentioned they can't give that information.

I was finally able to speak to the supervisor who was hesitant in providing her name and refused to provide her supervisor/manager name. The supervisor explained that they can not provide supervisor or manager names, company rule. I asked if the supervisor can help me book and waive the $30 per passenger fee since their website is not working and they cancelled my reservation without notifying me. NO HELP! I'm not sure if it's incompetency but definitely lack of training to trouble shoot and most definitely a lack of care for customer services. If you want great customer service DO NOT USE AVIANCA.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2021

Their website doesn't work. It's impossible to cancel a ticket, it's no use sending an email, getting in touch by phone, or WhatsApp, they'll disappear with your money. Inflight service is a joke. I do not recommend. I never travel from Avianca again in my life.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2021

The selection of available flights to book with Lifemiles has become minuscule -- in many cases I can't find any flights on Lifemiles, thought flights show as available with Air Canada and United miles. I foolishly bought 245,000 miles just before Covid hit -- worst investment of my life.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2021

Me and my family travel from Cali Colombia to NYC on July 3rd, when we got home we realized all our jewelry was missing from one our luggage (watches, necklaces, earrings), they responded it was our fault for putting it in there and took no responsibility for such a crime, employees stealing from customers properties, how pity, AVIANCA never again.

Original review: July 17, 2021

I have no respect for the way they handle customer service. The lack of respect with time is just ridiculous. 2 hours on the phone and the issue was not resolved. After 2 attempts my patience was gone.

Original review: July 11, 2021

THE WORST AIRLINE EVER. My flight was "closed" 1.5 hrs before departure. Calling for a refund and keep getting transferred between departments. My father is a pilot and my mother was both a flight attendant and ticket agent, so I know how the system works. There's no way a flight is closed 1.5hrs before departure. Not even 1HR before departure...That ticket cost almost $800 and there's no one available to talk to about a refund. I'm told to put a request through online..The website is down and there's no supervisor. I asked to have a supervisor call me and was told that can't be done. WHAT DOES THIS AIRLINE DO is the better question.

Original review: July 6, 2021

I bought 2 tickets from Miami to Managua, on December 15, 2019. It was canceled because of covid-19 pandemic, I've been trying to get my refund back for over a year now and still waiting. It is impossible to reach customer service.

Original review: July 2, 2021

6 tickets bought in 2020, Avianca assures you that you can book before 12-31-2021 at no cost, not true, but even if you were to book paying what they charge you from 200 to 340 per person, your booking is not guaranteed. They state they had problems with the system and payment did not go through. You stay on the phone for hrs to get a customer service person and they are unable to resolve your issue. No tickets back, no money back. Do not travel with Avianca, I lost more than 3000 dollars with that company.

Original review: June 22, 2021

Worst flying program and customer service. I redeemed a flight ticket from Colombia to Spain; unfortunately, I couldn't travel, so I cancelled my booking. I spent one day calling customer service with no success, then I emailed them and took ages to reply to my emails, and finally, they cancelled my booking. Still, the worst part is that Lifemiles reimbursed my milages and taxes 4 months later and I couldn't use my miles afterwards because they expired already! Please avoid this dodgy company; you can only redeem your miles with Avianca, which they are ALWAYS late.

Original review: May 11, 2021

I have an Avianca travel voucher from a flight I could not take last year due to COVID. The voucher is for the full amount of my initial booking. The issue is that you cannot use the voucher online. You have to book over the phone. It takes upwards of an hour to get anyone on the phone and the phone prices are $200-$250 more when you book over the phone as opposed to online. What this amounts to in practice, is that the voucher a customer received is worth less than what they paid because prices are artificially inflated over the phone. Airlines are notorious for having terrible customer service policies and this is just another one to add to the list. I will be avoiding this airline at all costs for future flights to Latin America. A company that forces people to pay more due to a pandemic is not a company I want to do business with.

Original review: April 24, 2021

Buyer beware. Avianca is selling fake tickets on flights that do not exist. They are also selling fake cancelation insurance that takes you to a scam website. Took me for a lot of money. Haven't seen a penny of it back. Had to file a dispute with my credit card.

Original review: April 10, 2021

Avianca changed my flight itinerary and the flight no longer worked for us. I tried contacting Avianca through their call center, email and WhatsApp and this was my experience:

1) The call center had me wait for more than an hour many times and I was never able to talk to a human being.

2) I wrote dozens of emails (copying all their available email addresses) and not one of them were answered.

3) I used their WhatsApp robot and each time they asked me to stay online while a representative contacted me. Their response would normally come 4-12 hours later (sometimes while I was asleep). They would write two quick messages: the first one stating that they wanted to help me and the second one (immediately after the first one) stating that since I was not online they were ending our conversation. When I finally was able to answer the message within 30 seconds, the representative told me that he couldn't help me and that I needed to contact the call center.

My conclusion: I will NEVER fly with Avianca again, if I can help it.

Original review: March 3, 2021

Avianca canceled the flight from San Jose, Costa Rica to Aberdeen, UK in June 2020 and has not offered any reimbursement. When checking on the Avianca website for the status of request for reimbursement, we learn that the request has been rejected without any reason supplied. Avianca must refund the cost of this flight as the service was never provided and the cancellation has come from Avianca. Numerous efforts have been made to contact Avianca through phone (many numbers, sometimes more than 3 hours of wait without any response), email, FB messenger, to no avail they remain totally unresponsive.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2021

As my parents who are elders needed to cancel their flights due to Covid-19 I was on the phone with Avianca for over 5 hours. The agency where I bought the tickets was trying to help but they needed a code from avianca and supervisors from avianca didn’t want to help. Jennipher ** and Herbert ** (both in El Salvador Avianca office) not only were rude but they refused to provide any kind of help. Zero customer service. Zero help. Zero humanity on with these people or avianca in general.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2020

To be clear, this review is all about the customer service when it comes to resolving a flight booking. My wife and I are travelling to Colombia in December, my wife business with our baby and I was travelling in economy. I contact customer service via phone (which takes 1 hour to connect and then a further 4-5hrs discussing the same issue) - to see if I can upgrade to business to which they say and send me a payment link, they say it takes 8hrs to confirm upgrade. So I wait and await, and I end up calling them 24hrs later, then 48hrs later and again and again, when I speak to customer support team they tell me the bank is still processing payment.

I then learn 4 days later that the payment hasn't been taken (I check with my bank) and Avianca have cancelled my standard and not informed me. I then spend another 5 days, with various people who won't help and then finally I have to pay a further £600 to have my original ticket. In total the entire process took 5 days and each day I spent on average 5hrs on the phone. Terrible customer service and I recommend you never fly with them.

Avianca Company Information