3.9/5 (119 ratings)

About Austrian Airlines

Austrian Airlines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Austrian Airlines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Austrian Airlines?

Original review: Feb. 12, 2022

On Feb. 5 I booked a United flight to Vienna, Austria that included a flight on Austrian Air. United told me to contact Austrian to book my seats with them and so I did. I was never told the seat were non refundable as United always returns their fees for upgraded seat so I felt at ease since Austrian is part of the Lufthansa group and member of the United Star Alliance. Only after booking I got a notice from the US State Department that travel to Austria was not advised so I canceled my United flight and contacted Austrian to cancel but they refused to refund my seating fees. All of this was done on Feb. 5 so 24 hours had not ever lapsed.

They said my seat fees are not refundable and that I had receive a notice to this policy however I did not receive that notice until AFTER I made the purchase. What a SCAM this airline is. How do you know any of this at the time you're booking the upgraded seats. I have flown Lufthansa many times while traveling Europe but never again. I have submitted a claim to United Mileage Credit card so we will see what they can do. BEWARE!!!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2021

I don't have the stomach to write much about this experience but believe me, they are not only incompetent, they also rig their website, fee structure and phone service to disable the customer from getting what they paid for, in the event they have to cancel because Austria has shut itself down. They also should shut down this airline. They owe me $3500 but have made it impossible for me to rebook my ticket in accordance with their policy. I can't get them on the phone and their email customer service is a big nothing burger. So, please avoid using this airline. I used it because it was the least expensive but ironically, it has ended up costing me more than $3,500.

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

Our boarding was denied because there was no place left on the plane. No refund, horrible customer service at the airport, no response over phone or email. Never had such a bad experience in EU with any airline. Do not recommend and will never fly with Austrian again.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2021

ZERO CUSTOMER SERVICE. I bought an upgrade for my flight. The upgrade was canceled. I was not notified AT ALL! I went to check my flight status which is when I noticed the upgrade was not there anymore. When I called they stated that there was a system error and my upgrade was canceled. No refund, no notification, NOTHING. Purchasing the upgrade now is triple the price I paid. I insisted that the upgrade be reapplied. It is in no way my fault that their system had difficulties. They claim there’s nothing they can do.

Have you ever heard of something like this??? I travel more than 10 times per year and I have never ever seen an airline with this response. I have spoke to a member on the board who promised to get back to me - no answer. I have messaged the CEO and other numerous chair members- leave me on read. DISGUSTING. Never again in my entire life will I fly this airline and I will never recommend them to anyone. Spare yourselves this headache. Imagine showing up to the airport with this news being handed to you. If I could rate them a 0 I would. For one trip I have 3 issues with the same airline.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

If you are reading this stay away from this airline. They have so many complaints against them online. They are rude. They don't return your emails and have the worst customer service my family has ever experienced. Here is one paragraph that states what they have offered to my family in compensation on company letter head via email. "We would like to offer you one free rebooking of your itinerary to a later date of your choice. The new flight has to be started by April 30, 2021. If the originally booked fare is no longer available on the newly selected travel date, a corresponding difference must be paid. If you do not know a new travel date yet, you can decide by August 31, 2020. Please let us know if you want to put your reservation on hold and rebook later on under the above mentioned conditions. Otherwise your reservation can remain valid and used as it was originally booked or cancelled according to the original fare rules."

I tried to rebook my flights with my voucher as per their deadline request, I was on the phone for over 1 hour. Finally I get a person. The IR supervisor of the reservation dept. She informs to me she can’t provide what they have stated in the email. All she has is a credit on my taxes that’s not what was agreed upon. She then didn't say anything for 20 min or even tried to explain why she couldn't honor what they stated in their email. She just stayed on the phone waiting for me to hang up, I believe this is what they have been told to do. Stay on the phone and say nothing and wait until we hang up. You will see other complaints about this same tactic from another unhappy client.

I have had enough of the runaround because of the poor customer service provided to me. The hassles of trying to rebook my ticket with the lack of communication and being on the phone for along time waiting being told that I would have someone contact me with no email to me. With all the time I have spent and the poor communication provided by Austrian Airlines. My family is requesting a formal apology and a complete refund voucher with no expiry date like all other airlines have been providing. I second the other complaint from another unhappy customer of this poorly run airline that is listed for all to read. They are the only airline in Europe with whom we had this problem for flights cancelled due to the Covid-19 crisis. AVOID AUSTRIAN AIRLINES LIKE THE PLAGUE -- They are nothing but thieves.

Original review: May 18, 2020

I booked a flight for three people on Austrian Airlines from Krakow, Poland to Vienna, Austria, and the flight was scheduled to take place April 15. Austrian Airlines suspended all flights from March 18 to June 7. Austrian Airlines proposed to rebook us on Lufthansa. Instead of a one-hour direct flight from Krakow to Vienna, the new booking would have made us take a first flight from Krakow to Frankfurt Germany and a second flight from Frankfurt to Vienna, with a total travel time of 6.5 hours instead of one hour. We did not view this proposal as remotely equivalent to our initial booking, declined it, and requested a full refund instead. Austrian Airlines has stonewalled and refused to reimburse us. They are the only airline in Europe with whom we had this problem for flights cancelled due to the Covid-19 crisis. AVOID AUSTRIAN AIRLINES LIKE THE PLAGUE -- THEY ARE NOTHING BUT THIEVES.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2020

Had a flight from Chicago to Iran December 2019. No free Wifi, not friendly staff. Not good quality food but free beverages. For the return flight, the flight was cancelled and awful customer services. No response in Tehran office, no email notifications, useless employee in Vienna office. If you want to have a great experience with your flight, I would not recommend this airline at all.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2019

Be aware of bad service and unforeseen delay in the flight, waste of time and money, not happy with the service and delay which will cause waste of ** time. Will never use them again and will never recomm to anyone.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

Flying from Amsterdam to Vienna on 7/24/19 and lost my baggage. When reported missing luggage, they could not tell me where my luggage was and when I would get it. Leaving next day on cruise. I was told to go out and buy clothes that were needed and be reasonable. Later that afternoon, still no information so bought clothes. Then next morning still no information. In the p.m. wife's luggage arrived but no information on my luggage so bought a few more clothes as the next stop in port would be 3 days in Belgrade so needed something to hold over. We bought clothes for my wife and me for a total of 325 Euro.

Now they tell me they will only reimburse me 50% because I have the value of the clothes that were purchased. Their own policy on website indicates the compensation and their own representative instructed me to purchase clothes that were needed. If it wasn’t for Austrian Airlines losing my luggage and not even knowing where it was, I would never have needed the clothes. I had no intention of purchasing any clothes and certainly didn’t plan to go shopping for clothes while on vacation. So there was no enrichment for clothes that were not needed until the airline lost my luggage and failed to perform what it promised. I would not fly on Austrian again. Not trustworthy.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

On July 7 my wife and I were traveling from Vienna to Zurich. The flight was canceled and we were taken to a hotel for the night. Our luggage was still with Austrian Airlines (at their request). We provided ourselves with dinner after we reached the hotel at 10:00 PM. I have no problems with this as there was weather problems in Zurich and Austrian Airlines cannot be held responsible.

The next day we were put on a flight to Zurich leaving Vienna around 11:30 AM. We arrived that afternoon in Zurich but our baggage did not. We filed a lost baggage in Zurich and our baggage finally arrived on July 9th late evening. My wife had relatives in Zurich and was able to borrow clothes while I had been wearing the same underwear and socks since July 7th morning. I bought, relatively, cheap socks and underwear (one each). I would like for Austrian Airlines to reimburse for the socks and underwear which I believe is their responsibility. Now Austrian Airlines wants me to justify why I have to reimbursed for wanting to change my underwear and socks after having worn it for almost 2 days.

Austrian Airlines Company Information