Austrian Airlines

Compare Airlines

Research top Airlines recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

NEVER doing business with this company again. I logged in today to check the flight status for my upcoming international trip. It said my booking information could not be loaded for about 5 hours, so when I came home from work I called Customer Service. Three different reps in the USA disconnected me after I waited over an hour to speak with someone. When I finally reached a woman and explained to her what happened, I asked if I could give her my phone number so she could call me back if we got disconnected. She refused and said they can't make outbound calls but she would try not to disconnect me. REALLY? Turns out they LOST our international booking despite sending me a confirmation code and receipt weeks ago. She said it was "deleted".

I was so upset; this trip has been planned for MONTHS for our young daughter to meet her 90 year old grandmother in Europe who is literally on her deathbed. When I complained, they told me there are no managers in the United States that I can speak with. Told me to email my complaint to their corporate office. She would not re-book my flight, nor give me a phone number to speak with the corporate office directly. Instead she gave me an email address, which turned out to be an automated mailbox which redirected me to call the same customer service number I had called in the first place. This is HORRIBLE customer service and I encourage everyone to avoid Austrian whenever and however possible.

I was flying yesterday 12 July 2016. It was the worse experience I ever had in my entire life while flying Austrian Airlines! The members of Austrian Airlines that I dealt with are rude, not caring and mostly not helpful. I flew via Vienna to London from another country. The airport in Vienna was closed due to adverse weather condition and pilot flew to Budapest to get refuel. Passengers were for 7 hours stuck in aircraft without food (apart from sweet cake and some drinks). After arriving in Vienna all Austrian Airlines service centres were closed but only one open with 4 members serving queue of 200 people. My flight was delayed for 14 hours; I was late for my meeting at work.

Austrian airlines gave food vouchers for Starbucks which was closed at that time, no transfer to hotel; I have to pay my own money both ways. Further too my bag was lost and I still waiting from Austrian Airlines to contact me. It is not a budget airline, I paid 300 for my ticket but the service is terrible. I would never fly Austrian Airlines again!

From Toronto (YYZ) to Tehran (IKA) via VIE with one hour connection time on June 5th and Return on June 30, from Isfahan (IFN) to YYZ via VIE with one hour connection time. Flight from YYZ to VIE was good, but impolite and not friendly cabin crew. Food was good but not comparable with other airlines. Once we got to Vienna, we found out our other flights (next segment and return) have been canceled without any notice. We only found out about cancellation at the gate in VIE; and again the most of the ground staff were impolite. Actually, we were informed that our next flights didn't exist anymore and they can put us on the next flight to IKA that will depart in 11 hours or transfer us to a Lufthansa flight. Also we would need to contact Turkish airlines at our destination to book our return tickets as they have an internal agreement with them.

Nobody apologized for what happened. We didn't even hear the word “Sorry” at least one time in VIE. Instead of that, one of the Austrian superintendent who was so rude said that they are not responsible to get us to our destination. DO YOU BELIEVE THAT! MAYBE THEIR RESPONSIBILITY IS SERVING FOOD TO PEOPLE.

We asked to talk to their manager. After she made the manager we could talk to him. He gave us the same attitude. He was rude, impolite, snobbish... Again he didn't only say a simple sorry for what happened there. Finally we convinced them to rebook us with Turkish at their desk. Please read other reviews, same stories have happened for other flights. They should be boycotted. NEVER FLY WITH AUSTRIAN AIRLINES.

I was traveling with Austrian Airline flight No. OS 072 (for the first time) on Sunday April 10, 2016, from Toronto, Canada to Vienna. We were scheduled to have just 1/15 minutes of transit time before the next flight to Tehran-Iran. Unfortunately, because of the bad weather in Toronto at the time of departure, the flight was delayed about an hour. It was clear that we would not be able to catch the next flight on time while most of us purchased this flight ticket because of the short transit time. Unfortunately we ended up to wait over 10 hours for the next flight to Tehran.

As a result of this delay we were prevented from reaching our connected flight to Tehran. I am very sad that I was unable to be there for the very important occasion that I was traveling for. It is expected in such conditions, which is quite normal and predictable for the Airline authorities, to have a plan B for the huge number of passengers with the same destination and do their very best to have an alternate flight, but, not leaving many seniors, sick passengers and families with small children with no preparation and no accommodations or any comforting services for long hours. This has been very upsetting for us and a bad reputation for Austrian Airlines.

I would like to express my disappointment from your unsatisfactory level of services. I have expected much more from a prestigious and reputed Airline. Unfortunately, I can't help but submit this letter of complaint hoping for a fast and adequate resolution. I hope you agree with me that this is not acceptable under any circumstances. I trust that you will deal with this issue in a top urgent fashion. I also trust that you will take the necessary precautions to prevent such incidents in the future.

My flight OS 072 Sunday April 10 from Canada to Vienna was to have just 1/15 minutes of transit time before the next flight to Tehran-Iran. Unfortunately, because of the snow in Canada at the time of departure the flight was delayed about an hour. It was clear that we would not be able to catch the next flight on time. All of Iranian who purchased this flight were because of the short transit hour. We ended up to wait over 10 hours for next flight. This was too much as we had quite a few seniors or people with children.

If this airline would care for customers they had enough time to have arranged a flight in much shorter hours than torturing people with such a long hours. The problem was not only for customers also for people who were waiting for their arrival on the other side. The Manager tried to let us call our people or give us a mall vouchers to eat. To get to our destination by 4:30 in the morning was quite different than 4:30 in the afternoon. We all were sick and too tired with the bad experience promising never use this airline again. I am sure all sixty people and their network is going to be a bad advertising for the airline.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Austrian Airlines?

My wife and I flew Austrian Airlines to Minsk via Vienna from London and return. I paid £117 for extra legroom seats on all 4 parts of the flight. At Minsk check-in they told us the flight was overbooked and that we might not get on this flight. At the last minute they decided we could board the flight but not in our booked seats. We were given standard seats. On the plane people were sitting in our seats, I asked and they had not paid extra for the seat! On my return to UK I tried to get a refund of the £117 I had paid. To this day Austrian Airlines has not answered any of my emails nor letters. They have completely ignored my request for a refund. Do not fly Austrian Airlines if you can avoid. They are the worst European airline for customer relations.

I warn all travelers about the abuse of Austrian Airlines company to its monopoly position in the direction of Kiev-Vienna. I'm used to fly to Vienna a lot, due to my business; and more frequent air company monopolist in this direction is Austrian Airlines. However, recently I had bad experience with this airline, which left me with no desire to continue to give them my time and money. Briefly about the situation: I checked in the flight online the day before departure, but that did not stop the representatives of Austrian Airlines to remove me and 9 other passengers from the flight right at the entrance to the plane. The airline didn't explain to passengers the reason of their decision, but I understood that airline was guided by national basis, because all 9 passengers was from Ukraine.

After removal, the airline changed the ticket to a late flight. As a result of that I was late for my appointments. Moreover, I'm trying to get a justice, an apology and explanation from the airline for 1 year, but still I didn't receive any feedback from them. It is very shortsighted and presumptuous of Austrian Airlines to believe that because of its monopoly position on this direction, they can provide so unprofessional service to their passengers. The big fat minus to Austrian Airlines. If you need to Vienna fly, but just not with them - real advice from real victim.

My 74-year old mother and three daughters took an Amtrak train from Baltimore to Penn Station. The train arrived late by 1.5 hours. My family arrived at the JFK 50 minutes prior to the flight. The Austrian Airlines do not allow them to board and forfeited the tickets for 4 passengers worth of almost $5,000, refused to help, refused to cooperate with Orbitz customer help representatives. Amtrak didn't take any responsibility for delaying the passengers and the passengers got punished for no fault. When my children asked at the airlines counter where would they stay overnight, the Austrian Airlines rep told them it wasn't their problem. The company is extremely unfriendly and even hostile to customers. We ended up buying new tickets from KLM. Never use Austrian Airlines again.

If I could I will give negative 5 stars, 1 star is way too good for this terrible company. Let me start by saying their support any JFK airport is terrible, their intention is not to assist flyers but just the opposite. They delay you give you hard time on anything that they can possible come up with. So, my daughter was flying to Europe (Non EU country) and her stay was over 90 days. I was told that she needed a visa, however no one, and I mean no one was able to get the policy anywhere. I looked up the Embassy and they said up to 1 year visa free, they still refused. Spoke to the nastiest person ever the supervisor, who had no clue, was mean and rude, and have us waiting for over half an hour while talking to other people and completely ignoring us.

Finally she got the message that we weren't going anywhere and simply told us to go and change the ticket to Austrian ticket counter. Another 15 min or so wait, just to hear that I need to call the agency and modify the ticket. Called the ticket agent and had to pay $730 just to simple push the date back 10 days. Once, everything was set and done, I was told that the check-in was closed!! We asked and begged and there was still plenty of time to get to the gate, and most of delays were from their clueless agents. I had to purchase a new ticket for the next day with another airline.

I just send them a demand letter, as well as preparing for a lawsuit, if my demands are not meet. I plan to file a complaint with the NY Attorney general, Consumer Affairs agency, BBB, Aviation Consumer Protection Division, C-75. and as many as possible complain. I urge everyone that has been having the same issues with this terrible airline to complain, complain, and complain, and expose them as much as possible on social media. NEVER AGAIN AUSTRIAN AIRLINE!!

I booked for my mum flight from Melbourne, Australia to Warsaw, Poland. It was Austrian airline. Because my mum (74 years old) speaks only polish and had bypass surgery few years ago I order for wheelchair assistance so she doesn't need to carry her bag and worries that she will be lost at the airports. Her flight was via Bangkok and Vienna. And of course in Vienna nobody come to pick up my mum. She tried to find her gate, she was lost, disoriented. She showed someone her ticket with special sticker that she need an assistance and nothing. No one didn't care. Finally there was a men, Polish who helped her. Lucky she didn't have problems with her heart after that awful experience. Now she has to fly back to Australia and she is scared that the situation could repeat itself. I have to tell I'm scared too. Did I asked for too much, really?!

I purchased a round trip airfare ticket with Austrian Airlines. At some point I was notified that my return ticket had the first flight (the starting flight of the trip) was canceled. On the phone Austrian Airlines said that there is nothing that can be done and suggested that I purchase another ticket for my return and only hope for a refund on the portion of the itinerary that was canceled by the airline. That was terrifying to hear because it would mean that I paid for a trip that I will never get to use and that I will only be reimbursed partially for one small distance flight out of 3.

After continuously calling Austrian Airlines in hope of a different resolution (because I found this one unacceptable), I was given 2 totally unacceptable flights to choose from that included traveling on Christmas day or with overnight layaway AND airport change in New York from JFK to LaGuardia. Now the ticket that I purchased was more expensive than this alternative: it had no overnight layaway and it had no airport change. I could have gotten a ticket like that for a much cheaper price. So I denied the offer and I said that I am expecting to be given something that has the same standard as the ticket I paid for. The Austrian Airlines representative couldn't come with another alternative that would have the same standard and fit my schedule. In fact I wasn't given ANY other alternative.

I looked for my passenger rights and on the official Austrian Airlines website it states that in case a flight is canceled for any other reason than my own request (so is an involuntary flight cancellation) I am entitled to another flight that is like the one I paid for +/- 3 days from my travel date or at a later convenient time. I told this to all the representatives that I spoke with. None of them cared and none of them seemed willing to follow Austrian Airline's OWN policy and passenger rights. My rights were written in plain understandable letters and yet absolutely no representative cared or showed willing to respect them. In the end I was forced by Austrian Airlines to pay for my own rebooking of the return flight even if I already paid for a return flight and that one was canceled by the airline.

Me and my wife, ** and ** traveled with Austrian Airlines from Pristina, Kosovo to Orlando, US. The flight was on 9th March 2015, flight no. 770 which got delayed on arriving in Vienna and because of that, we also missed our flight to Washington-Orlando. Through all the troubles that got us on a flight to London, which was also delayed and then missed our flight to New York-Orlando. When we arrived in New York it was an overnight flight and we had to pay for a hotel outside the airport. After all the troubles we got after we finally arrived in Orlando, our bags went missing for 4 days!!! My wife is a cancer patient and she was without therapy for 7 days!!! We are asking for compensation on the tickets for all the troubles you made us go through or we will find another way on facing this damage. I expect immediate action from you!!

I was flying from Cracow through Vienna to Chicago on November 13th 2014.. flight #065. Being at the gate 20 minutes prior departure, I was denied to fly back home.. My seat was sold and my luggage was kicked out from the plane.. I got no help except telling me to pay for my return home over 800 Euro... Inconsiderate bad mannered unprofessional ground service people left me there.. I am retired man with spine problem.. Thanks to the United Airlines, my frequent flyer miles and some fees, I am on my way home next day.. I did send complaint to the Airlines demanding returning my money for the ticket.. feeling my ticket was taken away from me and sold for an extra money to some other passenger.. Way to make money, Austrian! I strongly consider taking legal actions against those unfriendly Austrian Airlines... Is there any international law that protects passengers from this type of behavior?...

I missed my connection in Vienna. Austrian Airlines didn't open the front door of the aircraft on a remote stand. We were practically last off the plan, queued to get into the terminal, faced two levels of security, had to run practically one kilometer (maybe more) and got to the onward gate 6 minutes before scheduled departure. Onward flight was closed. I was charged more than 1,700 euros for 4 of us ($2,300) and forced to find overnight accommodation and pay for it. All Austrian Airlines staff that I encountered that day were unhelpful, uncaring and arrogant. Austrian Airlines has refused to answer the points I raised in my subsequent letter and refused to refund my money. I had one hour to connect. The minimum time for Star Alliance connections in Vienna, I was told, is 25 minutes. I strongly recommend avoiding transiting through Vienna or flying on Austrian Airlines. I fly Lufthansa regularly and Lufthansa is superb. I understand Lufthansa owns Austrian Airlines so do not believe that all of Lufthansa subsidiaries are as good as the lead carrier. Clearly, Lufthansa has a lot of work to do to bring Austrian Airlines up to its own standards.

I am writing to you in order to report the terrible experience I had with Austrian Airlines, on the flight 222 from Dusseldorf to Graz on the 1st of June at 15:00. The incident occurred, due to the fact that I have been carrying my wedding dress on Austrian Airlines and it has been totally ruined because of the non-attendance or help on the behalf of the flight crew.

Because my German is not optimal, I decided to speak in English to them. The stewardesses totally ignored me when I was asking for help. My travel itinerary was from Madrid to Graz (ticket bought through Lufthansa with my frequent traveler card). Before my departure, I had asked the personnel of Lufthansa and Austrian Airlines in Graz and in Madrid, if it would be a problem for me to carry my wedding dress on their planes. Both airline personnel assured me that the crew members would be happy to assist me and the dress would be hung up in the cabin wardrobe, in order for it not to get damaged or wrinkled. However, this information doesn't correspond at all with the experience I have had to endure with Austrian Airlines.

My big disappointment was when I entered the Austrian Airlines plane, being that this one was larger than the one before, and not becoming any help whatsoever to carry my wedding dress into the plane. One of the flight attendants whose name is Martina, refused to hang out my dress or to lay it down on several vacant first class seats, receiving only an answer that none of the both possibilities were allowed. After telling her that I was assured by Lufthansa and so Austrian Airlines that hanging the dress was possible, she kept denying me that and gave me the excuse that my dress was too long for that, when actually the dress cover can be carefully folded in half and so hung up without a problem.

Then after asking desperately for a solution, she informed me about two free seats at the back of the plane. There were a lot of rows of three seats only occupied by one passenger and she could have easily requested that one of them moved into the rows of 2 seats. She refused to help me, even when I asked her. All she did was to walk away from me. Therefore, I had to, as best I could, carry it to the back of the plane. As a consequence of all of that, the cover from my dress got dirty and this has gone through to the top of my dress, besides having so many wrinkles. For a flight, such as this one, that was half occupied, I personally find this unacceptable and so incredibly unbelievable that I was treated this way!

The wedding dress got completely ruined as it was full of wrinkles and got dirty as well. The airplane seats where I placed my dress were dirty and some of this dirt went through my dress cover. The bill for cleaning and ironing my dress is of $70. As I mentioned before, I am a frequent traveler and I also organize several flights for my students to Spain and to England every year and I have to admit that I've never experienced before this kind of treatment to the point of being totally ignored by your flight crew.

Then, I have made a formal complaint to Austrian Airlines Customer Service on the 1st of June. Their answer, on the 22nd of June, is that they refuse, not only to pay for the damages but to take responsibility to the problem, adding that it was the passenger's fault (my fault) to bring such an item on board. In other words, my complaint has been totally ignored by their department.

Austrian Airlines Company Profile