3.63/5

Looking for a travel site?

Austrian Airlines

Looking for a travel site?

Austrian Airlines Reviews

Original review: Sept. 22, 2019

Be aware of bad service and unforeseen delay in the flight, waste of time and money, not happy with the service and delay which will cause waste of ** time. Will never use them again and will never recomm to anyone.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

Flying from Amsterdam to Vienna on 7/24/19 and lost my baggage. When reported missing luggage, they could not tell me where my luggage was and when I would get it. Leaving next day on cruise. I was told to go out and buy clothes that were needed and be reasonable. Later that afternoon, still no information so bought clothes. Then next morning still no information. In the p.m. wife's luggage arrived but no information on my luggage so bought a few more clothes as the next stop in port would be 3 days in Belgrade so needed something to hold over. We bought clothes for my wife and me for a total of 325 Euro.

Now they tell me they will only reimburse me 50% because I have the value of the clothes that were purchased. Their own policy on website indicates the compensation and their own representative instructed me to purchase clothes that were needed. If it wasn’t for Austrian Airlines losing my luggage and not even knowing where it was, I would never have needed the clothes. I had no intention of purchasing any clothes and certainly didn’t plan to go shopping for clothes while on vacation. So there was no enrichment for clothes that were not needed until the airline lost my luggage and failed to perform what it promised. I would not fly on Austrian again. Not trustworthy.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

On July 7 my wife and I were traveling from Vienna to Zurich. The flight was canceled and we were taken to a hotel for the night. Our luggage was still with Austrian Airlines (at their request). We provided ourselves with dinner after we reached the hotel at 10:00 PM. I have no problems with this as there was weather problems in Zurich and Austrian Airlines cannot be held responsible.

The next day we were put on a flight to Zurich leaving Vienna around 11:30 AM. We arrived that afternoon in Zurich but our baggage did not. We filed a lost baggage in Zurich and our baggage finally arrived on July 9th late evening. My wife had relatives in Zurich and was able to borrow clothes while I had been wearing the same underwear and socks since July 7th morning. I bought, relatively, cheap socks and underwear (one each). I would like for Austrian Airlines to reimburse for the socks and underwear which I believe is their responsibility. Now Austrian Airlines wants me to justify why I have to reimbursed for wanting to change my underwear and socks after having worn it for almost 2 days.

Original review: July 7, 2019

I have a very bad experience with Austrian Airlines. On 4th July we have a flight ticket for 16 people of my family. I buy tickets by travel agency in March and when I go to make a checking our baby under 2 (infant) she doesn’t have place in Airplane. I gave the ticket number and it doesn’t work. I call the agency. She tell me, "Everything is fine. You have a ticket number." I go to manager. She doesn’t care and I go home with wife, baby, child. I go back on 5th July. I talk to agency and she tell me, "Go there and talk to supervisor." I go. I stay all day in airport but nothing. The people who works to ticket she gave me very good offer. 13,000,00$ for new ticket. Nope. Same thing. Go back home. In third day the agency she make me completely new ticket and finally we flight but never ever I’m not going to travel with this air company. This happened July 4-5 and 6 2019. Bad worker, bad manager and bad supervisor.

Original review: April 18, 2019

We tried rebooking tickets from Cape Town. After initially telling us rebooking will be 10000EUR they found a ticket where we can rebook for 300 EUR few days later. We rebooked over the phone for 2 of us in a single phone conversation. They sent an email card bounced. I called them and asked to stay on the line until they are 100% sure it's booked. The rep confirmed all is ok and they are booked with a different card. We arrived to the airport to find out they only rebooked one of the tickets and claimed other one bounced. Then they offered a rebooking for another 1200 EUR for a single ticket - "or you can stay in South Africa".

Trying to complain about was impossible. Everyone from cabin crew, pilot (who came to apologize) and ground crew kept pointing us to their website. They downgraded us to from our original seats (which were confirmed over the phone) to the only row we explicitly asked not to be. There was no way anyone will listen. Seeing many other similar reviews online it became clear to me that this is intentional company policy.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Austrian Airlines?

Original review: March 18, 2019

I purchased a ticket a month ago (Vienna-Krasnodar), only to find out yesterday that the Austrian Airlines has changed its schedule. Austrian issued a new ticket automatically, and booked a flight through Moscow Domodedovo. The direct option was expensive and I was willing to pay the price to have the convenience of having a direct flight to my destination. The flight Vienna-Domodedovo-Krasnodar is much cheaper, but Austrian would not issue any compensation for price difference. Dealing with reservation help desk was not a pleasant experience either.

To get a call through, waiting time was on between 16 and 22 minutes based on 4 attempts made. Staff was not helpful. I had re-booked my direct flight on a date 5 days after my originally planned departure. Again, no compensation for the time lost. Upon checking the price on the website, the price of the new ticket on the website was cheaper than the one I had paid. Again, I was told no compensation will be provided since I ti "long term cancellation" (whatever that means).

Dissatisfied with Austrian Airlines. Poor customer service and terrible support. Long waiting times in a telephone queue. This is the 4th time happening to me when booking with Austrian Airlines. I never have such problems with any other airlines (Qantas, Emirates, Etihad, British Airways, Iberia). Will avoid Austrian Airlines in the future and recommend you stay away from them. Every booking I had with them (11/12 flights in total without exception) had some problems. Change in flight schedule, overselling seats (showing up at the airport only to be told that there are no seats available on the plane). If you want your trip to go smoothly, choose other airline! Don't book with Austrian Airline! Terrible!

Original review: March 5, 2019

75 days and 5 promises, but no refund. Austrian Airlines agrees they owe us a refund. By late December, we had corrected communication problems and were promised prompt payment. On 10 January, a wire was sent with incomplete transmittal information and in the wrong amount. A promised 30 January payment did not appear and no confirmation of payment has been made available. February passed without an attempt to pay. Payment was promised on 1 March and apparently sent on 4 March. Again, the wire transmittal information appeared to be incomplete. Another promise was made to sent payment of 5 March. Who knows, maybe that promise will be fulfilled.

After many, many emails, it appears that Austrian Airlines contracts with a third party accounting partner. The feedback department, which cannot be reached by phone, does not have customer account information. But they can make a request to accounting. But feedback cannot reach accounting by phone or email. Instead, the request goes to the scanning department which transmits it to accounting. Accounting may respond, but does not automatically forward confirmation information. As often as not, it requires more than a week for feedback to receive a response to a request sent through channels. My guess is that other customers have found Austrian's customer service operation to be years behind the current state of the art in customer relations. On the other hand, they are very loyal to their bureaucracy...

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I would like to express my deepest disappointment and frustration in the service that Austrian Airlines has provided to me. Given the fact that Austrian Airlines is not a low-cost company such as Ryanair, it is not flexible at all in changing or cancelling flight tickets and it does not meet customer needs at all. As a result to all this, I will NOT use Austrian Airlines in the future anymore, nor will I recommend this flight airlines.

My wish was to buy my return ticket to Málaga with Austrian Airlines, but the customer service was not helpful at all in giving advice or changing my flight. It is a shame that low-cost companies such as Ryanair are more flexible and give you the opportunity to do modifications or cancellation on your flight online, plus provides better customer support. That is why I have decided to use Ryanair instead of Austrian Airlines for my return ticket to Málaga. I AM SURELY WILL NOT USE AUSTRIAN AIRLINES. NEVER EVER AGAIN!!!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

I booked travel for family traveling from Vienna to USA. Spoke to a very competent agent, Elana, who guided me step by step on making our travel arrangements. Travel is expensive, but I feel I was provided with great service.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I am gold star alliance member for many years and have been losing a good share of connections over years, but never had experienced such a poor, poor service as one received at Vienna airport after missing my connection to Amsterdam. Starting from outbound flight there was no meaningful explanation of flight delay (bad weather in Vienna? while no flights were delayed there???). I missed my business schedules heavily without anyone explaining why. Would not make any difference, but it is bare minimum to keep customer informed, instead of treating him like a reference code or ticket number.

Awaiting for rebooking in Vienna was unbelievably long, even though I have priority pass I could not cut through the queue. It is incredible how ground staff has little to no empathy for people that are not there on their own choice. Out of 4 working stations only 2 or max 3 at the time were working, with no-one demonstrating any sense of urgency, while queue was getting longer and longer, packed with pretty desperate people. As an example, one of the staff spent at least 45 minutes sorting out un-properly packed bottles of alcohol (was it really that urgent?), w/o duty free bill, discussing with that specific passenger how to take the bottle back to the shop and ask for refund etc etc, instead of focusing on people awaiting for rebooking and bed to sleep in.

Once I finally managed to receive voucher for hotel and taxi, I didn't get ANY information about categorization of either, even though I asked for hotel, and didn't get reply. If I had all information available at the time, I would neither accept hotel nor transport that you have provided as IT IS BELOW ANY DECENT LEVEL. Taxi contractor is below any standard: there is no organized way to get to the counter, service is completely inefficient, once I finally got to counter I was told to wait for them to call me by name (!GDPR!)? I would expect that company like Austrian Airlines would be more careful in selecting partners, but that is obviously not the case. At some point of time (much later after my first interaction at the counter) lady from the counter called 4 passenger by full name!!!

So now I even know one of them by first and last name, and would not be too much of the trouble to contact him/her or in other way abuse personal data. Probably needless to remind that as of May 1 GDPR is in full force and even though it is not Austrian Airlines, they have partner that is fully un-compliant. For me it is one and the same service. On the way to vehicle taxi driver was checking each voucher, like we are in kindergarten, or even refugees (without being disrespectful to refugees). Getting finally to the vehicle, another surprise / by all means not more than 3 people should be placed there: one in front, two in the back. Instead, I was squeezed between two ladies that I saw first time in my life, having a physical contact?

Total disrespect of personal space and privacy, and if this is the way to create savings (either in Austrian Airlines or Taxi service / again I do not care at all as it was one package to me), it is very very poor way to so. Austrian is not positioned as low budget operator, but surely they act like one. Hotel was another bad surprise and was a total disaster! I don't even know how to describe it. Starting from terrible smell at the entrance, to the smelly rooms, with no room service, no mini bar, no water in the room, dirty and old... unmatchable 'zero category'! At least they have internet so I can write this, instead of being in my final destination in Amsterdam. In 5* hotel, that I will need to pay anyway as there was no way to cancel the reservation at the night of arrival.

Breakfast only from 6 am, with no breakfast take-away: with my rebooked flight starting at 7 AM, I could not even get a cup of coffee, after not getting a cup of water day before or, dare I to say, a dinner! Indeed, I was offered a food voucher at the airport, but if by accident I took it I probably would not reach hotel even by midnight. Which probably would not be much worse either... And finally I will, hopefully, arrive to my destination, to which I am going for an important business meetings, w/o proper sleep, starved and terribly late.

Now I get to appreciate Lufthansa much more, despite many lost connections in Germany. Few weeks ago I missed flight in Frankfurt, and I got my own taxi, that I didn't have to wait for an hour (or even for a minute) or share with anyone, taking me to Kempinski hotel. Similarly, in Munich I didn't even have to leave the airport, just cross the street to Hilton hotel, with proper reception, proper restaurant, room service and bottle of water in room (needless to say mini bar). Lufthansa surely respects its passengers and even more, it gives Gold members level of service that reflect appreciation for people that are constantly in the air, running from gate to gate expecting in return just respectful treatment. I am sorry to say that I felt everything but respect in past couple of hours, and it will take a huge effort to risk again with Austrian Airlines.

Austrian Airlines Company Information