2. Travel
  3. Airlines

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.07/5

Austrian Airlines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Austrian Airlines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Austrian Airlines?

Original review: May 18, 2020

I booked a flight for three people on Austrian Airlines from Krakow, Poland to Vienna, Austria, and the flight was scheduled to take place April 15. Austrian Airlines suspended all flights from March 18 to June 7. Austrian Airlines proposed to rebook us on Lufthansa. Instead of a one-hour direct flight from Krakow to Vienna, the new booking would have made us take a first flight from Krakow to Frankfurt Germany and a second flight from Frankfurt to Vienna, with a total travel time of 6.5 hours instead of one hour. We did not view this proposal as remotely equivalent to our initial booking, declined it, and requested a full refund instead. Austrian Airlines has stonewalled and refused to reimburse us. They are the only airline in Europe with whom we had this problem for flights cancelled due to the Covid-19 crisis. AVOID AUSTRIAN AIRLINES LIKE THE PLAGUE -- THEY ARE NOTHING BUT THIEVES.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2020

Had a flight from Chicago to Iran December 2019. No free Wifi, not friendly staff. Not good quality food but free beverages. For the return flight, the flight was cancelled and awful customer services. No response in Tehran office, no email notifications, useless employee in Vienna office. If you want to have a great experience with your flight, I would not recommend this airline at all.

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2019

Be aware of bad service and unforeseen delay in the flight, waste of time and money, not happy with the service and delay which will cause waste of ** time. Will never use them again and will never recomm to anyone.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

Flying from Amsterdam to Vienna on 7/24/19 and lost my baggage. When reported missing luggage, they could not tell me where my luggage was and when I would get it. Leaving next day on cruise. I was told to go out and buy clothes that were needed and be reasonable. Later that afternoon, still no information so bought clothes. Then next morning still no information. In the p.m. wife's luggage arrived but no information on my luggage so bought a few more clothes as the next stop in port would be 3 days in Belgrade so needed something to hold over. We bought clothes for my wife and me for a total of 325 Euro.

Now they tell me they will only reimburse me 50% because I have the value of the clothes that were purchased. Their own policy on website indicates the compensation and their own representative instructed me to purchase clothes that were needed. If it wasn’t for Austrian Airlines losing my luggage and not even knowing where it was, I would never have needed the clothes. I had no intention of purchasing any clothes and certainly didn’t plan to go shopping for clothes while on vacation. So there was no enrichment for clothes that were not needed until the airline lost my luggage and failed to perform what it promised. I would not fly on Austrian again. Not trustworthy.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

On July 7 my wife and I were traveling from Vienna to Zurich. The flight was canceled and we were taken to a hotel for the night. Our luggage was still with Austrian Airlines (at their request). We provided ourselves with dinner after we reached the hotel at 10:00 PM. I have no problems with this as there was weather problems in Zurich and Austrian Airlines cannot be held responsible.

The next day we were put on a flight to Zurich leaving Vienna around 11:30 AM. We arrived that afternoon in Zurich but our baggage did not. We filed a lost baggage in Zurich and our baggage finally arrived on July 9th late evening. My wife had relatives in Zurich and was able to borrow clothes while I had been wearing the same underwear and socks since July 7th morning. I bought, relatively, cheap socks and underwear (one each). I would like for Austrian Airlines to reimburse for the socks and underwear which I believe is their responsibility. Now Austrian Airlines wants me to justify why I have to reimbursed for wanting to change my underwear and socks after having worn it for almost 2 days.

Original review: July 7, 2019

I have a very bad experience with Austrian Airlines. On 4th July we have a flight ticket for 16 people of my family. I buy tickets by travel agency in March and when I go to make a checking our baby under 2 (infant) she doesn’t have place in Airplane. I gave the ticket number and it doesn’t work. I call the agency. She tell me, "Everything is fine. You have a ticket number." I go to manager. She doesn’t care and I go home with wife, baby, child. I go back on 5th July. I talk to agency and she tell me, "Go there and talk to supervisor." I go. I stay all day in airport but nothing. The people who works to ticket she gave me very good offer. 13,000,00$ for new ticket. Nope. Same thing. Go back home. In third day the agency she make me completely new ticket and finally we flight but never ever I’m not going to travel with this air company. This happened July 4-5 and 6 2019. Bad worker, bad manager and bad supervisor.

Original review: April 18, 2019

We tried rebooking tickets from Cape Town. After initially telling us rebooking will be 10000EUR they found a ticket where we can rebook for 300 EUR few days later. We rebooked over the phone for 2 of us in a single phone conversation. They sent an email card bounced. I called them and asked to stay on the line until they are 100% sure it's booked. The rep confirmed all is ok and they are booked with a different card. We arrived to the airport to find out they only rebooked one of the tickets and claimed other one bounced. Then they offered a rebooking for another 1200 EUR for a single ticket - "or you can stay in South Africa".

Trying to complain about was impossible. Everyone from cabin crew, pilot (who came to apologize) and ground crew kept pointing us to their website. They downgraded us to from our original seats (which were confirmed over the phone) to the only row we explicitly asked not to be. There was no way anyone will listen. Seeing many other similar reviews online it became clear to me that this is intentional company policy.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I purchased a ticket a month ago (Vienna-Krasnodar), only to find out yesterday that the Austrian Airlines has changed its schedule. Austrian issued a new ticket automatically, and booked a flight through Moscow Domodedovo. The direct option was expensive and I was willing to pay the price to have the convenience of having a direct flight to my destination. The flight Vienna-Domodedovo-Krasnodar is much cheaper, but Austrian would not issue any compensation for price difference. Dealing with reservation help desk was not a pleasant experience either.

To get a call through, waiting time was on between 16 and 22 minutes based on 4 attempts made. Staff was not helpful. I had re-booked my direct flight on a date 5 days after my originally planned departure. Again, no compensation for the time lost. Upon checking the price on the website, the price of the new ticket on the website was cheaper than the one I had paid. Again, I was told no compensation will be provided since I ti "long term cancellation" (whatever that means).

Dissatisfied with Austrian Airlines. Poor customer service and terrible support. Long waiting times in a telephone queue. This is the 4th time happening to me when booking with Austrian Airlines. I never have such problems with any other airlines (Qantas, Emirates, Etihad, British Airways, Iberia). Will avoid Austrian Airlines in the future and recommend you stay away from them. Every booking I had with them (11/12 flights in total without exception) had some problems. Change in flight schedule, overselling seats (showing up at the airport only to be told that there are no seats available on the plane). If you want your trip to go smoothly, choose other airline! Don't book with Austrian Airline! Terrible!

Original review: March 5, 2019

75 days and 5 promises, but no refund. Austrian Airlines agrees they owe us a refund. By late December, we had corrected communication problems and were promised prompt payment. On 10 January, a wire was sent with incomplete transmittal information and in the wrong amount. A promised 30 January payment did not appear and no confirmation of payment has been made available. February passed without an attempt to pay. Payment was promised on 1 March and apparently sent on 4 March. Again, the wire transmittal information appeared to be incomplete. Another promise was made to sent payment of 5 March. Who knows, maybe that promise will be fulfilled.

After many, many emails, it appears that Austrian Airlines contracts with a third party accounting partner. The feedback department, which cannot be reached by phone, does not have customer account information. But they can make a request to accounting. But feedback cannot reach accounting by phone or email. Instead, the request goes to the scanning department which transmits it to accounting. Accounting may respond, but does not automatically forward confirmation information. As often as not, it requires more than a week for feedback to receive a response to a request sent through channels. My guess is that other customers have found Austrian's customer service operation to be years behind the current state of the art in customer relations. On the other hand, they are very loyal to their bureaucracy...

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I would like to express my deepest disappointment and frustration in the service that Austrian Airlines has provided to me. Given the fact that Austrian Airlines is not a low-cost company such as Ryanair, it is not flexible at all in changing or cancelling flight tickets and it does not meet customer needs at all. As a result to all this, I will NOT use Austrian Airlines in the future anymore, nor will I recommend this flight airlines.

My wish was to buy my return ticket to Málaga with Austrian Airlines, but the customer service was not helpful at all in giving advice or changing my flight. It is a shame that low-cost companies such as Ryanair are more flexible and give you the opportunity to do modifications or cancellation on your flight online, plus provides better customer support. That is why I have decided to use Ryanair instead of Austrian Airlines for my return ticket to Málaga. I AM SURELY WILL NOT USE AUSTRIAN AIRLINES. NEVER EVER AGAIN!!!

Austrian Airlines Company Information