2. Travel
  3. Airlines

3.1/5 (118 ratings)

About Austrian Airlines

Austrian Airlines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Austrian Airlines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Austrian Airlines?

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I would like to express my deepest disappointment and frustration in the service that Austrian Airlines has provided to me. Given the fact that Austrian Airlines is not a low-cost company such as Ryanair, it is not flexible at all in changing or cancelling flight tickets and it does not meet customer needs at all. As a result to all this, I will NOT use Austrian Airlines in the future anymore, nor will I recommend this flight airlines.

My wish was to buy my return ticket to Málaga with Austrian Airlines, but the customer service was not helpful at all in giving advice or changing my flight. It is a shame that low-cost companies such as Ryanair are more flexible and give you the opportunity to do modifications or cancellation on your flight online, plus provides better customer support. That is why I have decided to use Ryanair instead of Austrian Airlines for my return ticket to Málaga. I AM SURELY WILL NOT USE AUSTRIAN AIRLINES. NEVER EVER AGAIN!!!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

I booked travel for family traveling from Vienna to USA. Spoke to a very competent agent, Elana, who guided me step by step on making our travel arrangements. Travel is expensive, but I feel I was provided with great service.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I am gold star alliance member for many years and have been losing a good share of connections over years, but never had experienced such a poor, poor service as one received at Vienna airport after missing my connection to Amsterdam. Starting from outbound flight there was no meaningful explanation of flight delay (bad weather in Vienna? while no flights were delayed there???). I missed my business schedules heavily without anyone explaining why. Would not make any difference, but it is bare minimum to keep customer informed, instead of treating him like a reference code or ticket number.

Awaiting for rebooking in Vienna was unbelievably long, even though I have priority pass I could not cut through the queue. It is incredible how ground staff has little to no empathy for people that are not there on their own choice. Out of 4 working stations only 2 or max 3 at the time were working, with no-one demonstrating any sense of urgency, while queue was getting longer and longer, packed with pretty desperate people. As an example, one of the staff spent at least 45 minutes sorting out un-properly packed bottles of alcohol (was it really that urgent?), w/o duty free bill, discussing with that specific passenger how to take the bottle back to the shop and ask for refund etc etc, instead of focusing on people awaiting for rebooking and bed to sleep in.

Once I finally managed to receive voucher for hotel and taxi, I didn't get ANY information about categorization of either, even though I asked for hotel, and didn't get reply. If I had all information available at the time, I would neither accept hotel nor transport that you have provided as IT IS BELOW ANY DECENT LEVEL. Taxi contractor is below any standard: there is no organized way to get to the counter, service is completely inefficient, once I finally got to counter I was told to wait for them to call me by name (!GDPR!)? I would expect that company like Austrian Airlines would be more careful in selecting partners, but that is obviously not the case. At some point of time (much later after my first interaction at the counter) lady from the counter called 4 passenger by full name!!!

So now I even know one of them by first and last name, and would not be too much of the trouble to contact him/her or in other way abuse personal data. Probably needless to remind that as of May 1 GDPR is in full force and even though it is not Austrian Airlines, they have partner that is fully un-compliant. For me it is one and the same service. On the way to vehicle taxi driver was checking each voucher, like we are in kindergarten, or even refugees (without being disrespectful to refugees). Getting finally to the vehicle, another surprise / by all means not more than 3 people should be placed there: one in front, two in the back. Instead, I was squeezed between two ladies that I saw first time in my life, having a physical contact?

Total disrespect of personal space and privacy, and if this is the way to create savings (either in Austrian Airlines or Taxi service / again I do not care at all as it was one package to me), it is very very poor way to so. Austrian is not positioned as low budget operator, but surely they act like one. Hotel was another bad surprise and was a total disaster! I don't even know how to describe it. Starting from terrible smell at the entrance, to the smelly rooms, with no room service, no mini bar, no water in the room, dirty and old... unmatchable 'zero category'! At least they have internet so I can write this, instead of being in my final destination in Amsterdam. In 5* hotel, that I will need to pay anyway as there was no way to cancel the reservation at the night of arrival.

Breakfast only from 6 am, with no breakfast take-away: with my rebooked flight starting at 7 AM, I could not even get a cup of coffee, after not getting a cup of water day before or, dare I to say, a dinner! Indeed, I was offered a food voucher at the airport, but if by accident I took it I probably would not reach hotel even by midnight. Which probably would not be much worse either... And finally I will, hopefully, arrive to my destination, to which I am going for an important business meetings, w/o proper sleep, starved and terribly late.

Now I get to appreciate Lufthansa much more, despite many lost connections in Germany. Few weeks ago I missed flight in Frankfurt, and I got my own taxi, that I didn't have to wait for an hour (or even for a minute) or share with anyone, taking me to Kempinski hotel. Similarly, in Munich I didn't even have to leave the airport, just cross the street to Hilton hotel, with proper reception, proper restaurant, room service and bottle of water in room (needless to say mini bar). Lufthansa surely respects its passengers and even more, it gives Gold members level of service that reflect appreciation for people that are constantly in the air, running from gate to gate expecting in return just respectful treatment. I am sorry to say that I felt everything but respect in past couple of hours, and it will take a huge effort to risk again with Austrian Airlines.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Worse experience ever. Very rude staff looking to charge you for extra kilos. This policy looks like having extra profits and bonus for the ground stewardesses. They don’t care if you are silver or gold status. They only care about profits from the extra bonuses. Terrible. Worse Star Alliance company ever.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I am really disappointed with their service, I bought the ticket from CheapOair. I usually buy the tickets from that site once a year that I visit Greece from USA where I live and reside. I usually flight with Lufthansa which I am very satisfied. I am not satisfied at all with Austrian Airlines for two reasons. When I arrived at the check in I was asked to pay an extra 50 euro (cash) for my one suitcase luggage. I never had to pay with Lufthansa for economy ticket for only one suitcase 50 euro. They told me because my ticket was light economy??? What is that?? New way of scamming people and taking money?? Even at their complaint form (the one I am filling at their official site) it does not have that class of ticket (light economy). I guess I just find out how their airline company can scam passenger to the last minute. Probably with fine print details somewhere in the pages of the ticket. Very bad practice.

Thank God my return leg to Greece after 7 months is LUFTHANSA. When I bought it it did not have very CLEAR on the ticket purchase that I had to pay for 1?? suitcase. It’s a misleading practice to take money. I am furious not so much for the 50 euro but for the practice of applying it. Lastly I want to say that their culinary treatment in the flight was very much below my expectations from what amount of food I was getting in Lufthansa and the amount of food (very little) according to my opinion I think in your flight from Vienna to LAX. Thank you very much and be advise. KEEP AWAY FROM THESE AIRLINES. THAT’S THE ONLY WAY OF FIGHTING THEIR GREEDINESS.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

Keep in mind, I am not one of those people upset about flight delay, nor I am that person that only posts negative reviews, my whole review is about lack of customer service and problem solving skills, particularly team that was working 8/19/18 in Chicago OHare check in counter (for some reason was for 3 airlines: Austrian, Swiss and Lufthansa). I so regret not recording a video on this nonsense!

So originally whole mess started because wheelchair assistance didn't pick up my 75 y.o. grandmother from check in counter. Ok, I get it, it's a separate private company and whether airlines like it or not, it was contracted by airport. That's not the point. The point is, that I paid my ticket with Austrian, I am their customer, since they offer option of wheelchair assistance, they should arrange it by dealing with that contracted company, or by sending 1 of the employees from check in counter to take elderly flyer to the boarding gate. It's called customer service, its called problem solving. Because it doesn't help anybody to be looking for "who messed up", I know myself that wheelchair assistance company screwed up, but airline didn't fix it and made more mess on their end.

Since it was 15 min before boarding time and it's an international flight, I had to send my grandmother through TSA all on her own, she can't ask people in TSA line to let her pass, because she doesn't speak the language, if she doesn't make it to the gate in time, she can't ask for help either, we should've not be put in this position. Not only airline check in agents didn't care, but when I asked them to contact the gate and ask them if my grandmother made it there on time, they told me, that they can't do this, because of the safety reasons.

Such stupidity leaves me speechless. They didn't care to help us to make it to the gate, they didn't care even if my grandmother doesn't make it to that plane, though we clearly got checked in, they just didn't care to focus on customer assistance. It wasn't even the situation where they had to go extra mile for economy class customer, it was standard situation that they didn't care to handle. I don't have Swiss customer service manager name saved, I am sure there isn't that many of them, worked on 8/19/18 with 3 letter name. Needless to say, I will never fly with Austrian, and will not recommend it to anyone.

Original review: July 26, 2018

They cancelled our flight without any legitimate reason. They said because of bad weather conditions, but they were lying because it was sunny. And they are cancelling often their flights without a proper reason. Don't fly with them if you don't want to lose time and money. They should be banned.

Original review: July 9, 2018

There was a very long delay on my flight from Vienna to Tehran by Austrian Airline (around 12 hours) and when I arrived to Tehran I notice that my luggage has been lost! After 2 days I received my bag. I sent my complaints to Austrian Airline and they illegally obtained my bank account (they pretended that it is necessary to have my bank account details to be able to wire me the compensation amount). However they finally wanted me to download a worthless discount coupon for my future Austrian Airline flight! The coupon worth Euro 100 but because of its restrictions it is a worthless coupon! I will never ever fly with Austrian Airlines.

Original review: April 12, 2018

This is the most unprofessional airline I’ve ever flown with. Not only was my flight to Venice from Thessaloniki via Vienna delayed and I missed the connection but the return flight was also delayed and again I’d miss my connecting flight. Then the airline personnel couldn’t work out what alternative connecting flight to put me and my young daughter on. The airline rep instead told me I had to catch the late flight and work out how I’d get back to Greece when I was in Vienna.

When I complained she got all sassy and rude and said this just happens and it’s not her fault. As the representative of the airline surely she could at least be civil and apologetic about the unprofessional business she works for. I’ve never experienced such incompetence. The worst of it was the fact that I was made to feel as if the entire mess up was my responsibility. I’ll never fly with Austrian Airlines again. I wouldn’t have even given them one star but the site requires that I give one. Hopeless.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

After repeated errors trying to reserve seats, I found myself in the horror land that is the Austrian Airlines social media team. Incompetent doesn't begin to cover their handling of this situation. Every message I sent was read by a different person who couldn't or wouldn't read any message I had sent other than the most recent one, meaning they had NO IDEA what the actual problem was. They even told me at one point that they had fixed the website error and I could now reserve seats, which was a total lie. In the end I had to ring an international rate phone number to try and get it sorted, due to their refusal to organise for someone to ring me. Despite paying £600+ on tickets and having to pay ~£50 more to reserve seats. AVOID.

Austrian Airlines Company Information