1.09/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

405 Air Canada Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I have had 3 out of 3 very bad experiences with Air Canada. All of these experiences were due to factors completely within the control of Air Canada and Air Canada employees (not weather or mechanical failures, etc). They never wanted to take responsibility for any of their actions. After going through their atrocious customer service system (email only, no phone number, long response times, or finally not respond all together, etc. etc.) all they could offer me was a credit or discount on my next flight.

I gave them a very easy and cost free to them opportunity to make it right and they did not do it. I wanted them to correct the current situation, not give me a discount on a future flight. This is all they do so they can get you to come back and purchase more from them. I will never choose to fly Air Canada again if I don’t have to. I have an unused 20% off promo code if anyone for some reason has to fly Air Canada and would like to use it. Promo code is **.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

Flight from Montreal to Las Vegas is 5.5 hours long. I'm only 6'1" tall and my legs could not fit into the seat at all. I was 2 rows back from business class where they had extra seats. I offered to pay the extra price but they said they could not do that. My feet went numb, my knees were in pain, the lady in front could feel each time I wiggled my toes. When I issued a complaint (only available by email, no phone number to call in) they offered me a $100 coupon of my next flight and no remedy to ensure the next flight wouldn't have the same painful seating. The company needs to guarantee they would NEVER use the Airbus 319M again EVER unless they remove a row of seats and make room for everyone. BRUTAL. I am only flying WestJet now - and even driving to Buffalo to fly JetBlue. Air Canada simply does NOT care about customer service.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

If there was a negative star, I would use that. First of all, our flight from Madrid to Frankfurt was delayed (not a problem at all as Lufthansa apologized sincerely and explained the reason for the delay was to ensure our safety). Our connecting flight was with Air Canada. We made it JUST on time and as we approached boarding they did not let us in because “it was too late”. The person in front of us got let in seconds before us and we watched him walk in. When we told her we had a connecting flight that was delayed she replied “I know. Go see Lufthansa." Also FYI - the flight left EARLY. We got rebooked for the next day at 10 am from Frankfurt to Toronto. When trying to check in there was an error - so we went to the counter to check in and of course...we were booked on an overbooked flight.

The lady at the counter in Frankfurt (I believe her name was Hebayet??? Unsure of the spelling - it may be incorrect) told us she would get us on the waiting list and to put our check in bags on the machines. She left for like 15 minutes to seek help because she was unable to work her system and in the meantime one of our luggages went through. We thought that meant that we were on the flight. But OF COURSE when she came back she said waiting list confirmed unsure whether we are on that flight...and asks “Only 1 check in bag?” When we said "2...1 JUST went in," she immediately got defensive and said “It wasn’t me. It was a mechanical error.” I get it. Mistakes happen but she was rude when I asked “Can you please find my bag??? You lost it and it has no label”. She replied “Hold on lady. You’re driving me crazy.” You just lost my bag and I’m the one driving you crazy? Have some manners!

Just to avoid further confrontation she gave me a label (of course). Upon arriving to Toronto - the bag did not show up (obviously). Called 3 times and emailed. I travel on AC quite a bit - most of my positive experiences are moderate at best, the rest are terrible. They have no compassion or care for their customers and I wish one day Air Canada will no longer be a monopoly. I would walk into a plague rather than flying with Air Canada.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

When I checked into my flight in San Jose, Costa Rica I asked the AC Agent if I would have to retrieve my checked bag in Toronto before heading to my connecting flight to Calgary. He said, "No. Your bag will be checked through to Calgary". At the same time, I told him my delayed flight from SJO to YYZ was going to make me miss my connecting flight to YYC so I asked him to change my connector to the 20:55 flight. He said he did this but didn't issue me a boarding pass for that flight. After landing in Toronto, I went to get a boarding pass from the AC connections booth. I asked the AC agent for a boarding pass for flight AC155 and she told me I was not booked on that flight.

She also told me I had to go back and collect my checked bag from the carousel (conflicting with what I had been told in SJO). Due to a delayed offloading in YYZ and running around trying to get a boarding pass and my checked bag through security, I missed my connecting flight to Calgary. As this was the last flight of the night, I had to spend the night in the airport to catch the earliest flight in the morning. I was told I did not qualify for a hotel room. The only compensation I've received is $30 in meal voucher plus a meal voucher on my connector in the morning. I am absolutely appalled by this service and will never fly with AC again.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

First of all, I get that weather can be an issue. Our flight was cancelled, okay. But tell me why no one here has half a brain cell to operate basic functions? I asked the same lady a question about our luggage and I received two different responses. One, they would be available to pick up. Two, they would be sent to the airline directly. Seriously? Then when I have to check in once more, I had to speak to 6 people in regards to what to do.

Each time I was sent to different lines by one person after the other. When I asked for accommodations, which they offer international travelers with cancelled flights, I had to wait in line again to be told to wait to the side for 30 mins (and counting.) while waiting here, I have witnessed the manager (Isabelle) being outstandingly rude to another guest and a clerk get out of his position to chat with coworkers when people were late to their flight. When confronted, he laughed it off and was also rude to them. Needless to say, I’m STILL waiting. This is unbelievable and their guest service is piss poor at best. Don’t book here.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Air Canada?

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

I took a non-stop from Toronto to Dubai/return, preferred seating. The departure was an hour delayed. It was annoying to hear loud repeated announcements that not all carry on luggage will be able to fit on the aircraft, this should have been resolved when we checked in with our luggages. When it came to boarding the aircraft... Again loud annoying announcements. Some staff were not very pleasant when you asked for water or coffee. I asked a stewardess how much time was until landing, she replied I should go back to my seat and find it on the screen. Another thing I observed on Air Canada after serving hot drinks, they would turn on the seatbelt sign, stop serving coffee... There was no turbulences. Either the staff are not paid well/union attitude, I will definitely look at alternate airlines before Air Canada. The flight back to Toronto was 45 min delayed.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

I was on hold with Air Canada vacations for over 3 hours. My first call was received after an hour and a half by customer service department then I was forwarded to another department. After 15 mins on hold again my phone died and I had to start all over again. I was driving to the airport when I finally reached the department that I needed to find out that nothing could be done by then because the people that could help me were closed till the next day. Everything got put to rights the next day but it was beyond painful for the hours on hold.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

My parents were on their return flight (AC872 from Toronto to Frankfurt). At the check-in there was just one kiosk open for that flight. The person on the kiosk was so overworked that she forgot to tell my parents the gate number and the boarding time. Meanwhile another line adjacent to us had multiple kiosks open for their flight. My parents felt like they were second class citizens. For every person processed from our line, 3 or 4 people were processed from the adjacent line.

After, when my parents were on their way to their gate, my father's jacket was somehow lost going through the security x-ray machine. My parents had to enquire about the whereabouts of the jacket for more than 30 minutes. My parents don't speak English and my dad has Parkinson's disease, so this was for them a most unpleasant flight experience. There were so many workers, but they were all clueless/incompetent in finding my father's jacket. They even offered my dad different jackets!? Luckily, one lady was found who spoke their language and could help them locate the missing jacket. After the jacket was finally found there was no explanation regarding where it was. Shame on Air Canada for providing such incompetent service.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

SO I buy 1 ticket to Europe on the internet Jan 11. And to my surprise not clear before you buy the ticket is that they have changed the baggage for Economy now called Economy Basic. When I checked in they told me there was an additional charge of 60 dollars to check in a bag one way and another 60 dollars to return. Good thing I had my Visa because otherwise I would have not been able to pay and missed the flight. Once I was on the plane there was no cargo storage for my carry on and I had to stow under the front seat making for a very crammed flight. They may have fooled people into making a few extra dollars and when I inquired their answer was some European Airlines are charging 250 a bag. For sure next flight out to Europe is with KLM. Tired of the Air Canada low quality and this baggage policy that and the awful food they serve.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Air Canada is always late, never on time. This I have learned to deal with over time. However, sitting next to a cracked window after being moved without choice for 4.5 hrs was not an experience worth the cost of flying with Air Canada. They could only move me backward and had originally moved me without my request due to a dog. I’m extremely unimpressed and for someone who flies >15 times a year, I will do all I can to avoid this horrid airline. The Captain on AC756 departing SFO at 12:10pm (PDT) even came by simply to reassure me that the window will not break in flight but was unable to offer a better or equivalent seat on the aircraft. I simply asked for wifi access during the flight to compensate for my disoriented view and this could not even be accommodated.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Their staff at Vancouver at the US desk was a joke. Horrible customer service, oversensitive women who sulked and ran away like spurned teenage girls when I told them I wanted to talk to a superior, ** customer service cashier who wanted to show dominance over the customers?! I mean, WTF, what a joke of an operation is being run at Air Canada in Vancouver. Save your time and spend the extra money to fly with a better airline.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

I've traveled from India to USA with Air Canada. During my travel they've missed my baggage and they were clueless in finding/locating my baggage for days. I literally had my 2 full bags and one cabin checked in with them. I've called customer service but they were of no help. For everything they've asked me to go read online and fill the forms, which I did and when I bought basic things needed for that time and submitted the expense form. Customer service reached out to me via email and just told me that they wouldn't be responsible for the expense. It's such a disappointment traveling with them. I've even lost my new smartwatch in the flight for which again they had no clue or weren't they sorry for the loss. If anyone has any self respect please don't fly with these airlines as they are such a horror. Never experienced such a situation with any airlines that I traveled till date.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

Had to cancel multi-leg flight due to urgent medical issue. Flights were booked through United, but included flights with Air Canada as Star Alliance partner. United immediately refunded our costs and restored our award miles, but Air Canada has been non-responsive regarding refunded seat upgrade purchased through them for their flights. Only response since my late September online submission of refund request has been email acknowledgement of request and in that email a promise to resolve in 6 weeks. Have tried to email the team associated with the refund process and even included CEO on last email, but no response to date.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I arranged a booking with Air Canada cargo for my animal to fly from Canada. They can't be trusted. I was told one thing, then spent significant money, time and resources, then told another. No offer to compensate as a result of Air Canada's change. I suggest another carrier if moving your animal. I'd avoid flying with them altogether if my experience is indicative of their practices.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

Booked a flight with Air Canada from Houston, TX to Calgary and my luggage did not arrive here in Calgary. Filled out forms and called every day but to no avail. I have no clothes. Only the ones I had on my back and they are getting pretty sticky now. They told me to go and buy 'stuff' but I don't know if I get reimbursed for the money I spent. This so-called 'customer service' is a joke. Here we are flying people to the moon and they cannot trace luggage from one airport to another. As I was reading on another website they deliberately do not load bag due to weight limits - but at least they should tell their customers what they are doing. No more Air Canada flights for me.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

Hello, I had a very bad experience with Turkish and Air Canada as I booked my flight from Regina to Delhi and then Delhi to Regina. So when I came back to Toronto as I had 2 hrs layover in Toronto and next flight after 2 hrs to Regina. As they had lots of rush in the Immigration in Toronto it took 2 hrs and then I run to the Air Canada Section flight to Regina and then the guy said to me, "It's already flew. You are late." I explained him the situation as why I am late as I have connecting flight. He said, "We can't help you as you booked the flight with Turkish Airlines. They will help you for this." Then I went to Turkish Airlines. He said, "We can't help you as you are late as we are on time." I explained him the situation. He didn't help me. He said, "You have to buy the ticket for tomorrow morning as that flight is last flight to Regina."

Then I talked with his Manager. He helped me to provide me the ticket as it's very odd time, 7 am in the morning from Toronto. First it will go to Calgary 9.30 am then wait for 7 hrs there 4 pm from Calgary to Regina reached at 6.30 pm. Then in the Morning I went to the Air Canada, I asked that if you change my ticket direct flight to Regina. He said "there is one ticket available but it's 2 pm in the afternoon but it's direct to Regina," so I took that ticket and I slept in the Airport. They not provide me hotel or any accommodation. I missed my work next day for the flight. I lost lot of Money for my work and wasted time. It's the worst experience with Air Canada and Turkish Airlines.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I planned a trip to Melbourne Australia with my brother starting in March of 2018. I chose Air Canada because of the price but after my experience I’ll never fly with them again. On November 14th of 2018 my problems started when I was told there was no more overhead space leaving Dallas on my way to Montreal. While on the flight I observed 2 separate stewardesses accessing their luggage from the overhead bins above passengers so at least I know why there wasn’t any space for my luggage. After arriving in Montreal and switching planes we sat on the tarmac for almost an hour and a half because of some electrical issue. That delayed caused me to miss my flight in Vancouver that flew straight to Melbourne from Vancouver. I was rebooked on a flight from Vancouver to Sydney which was later delayed by an hour for reasons unknown to me.

Since I was rebooked I lost my seat upgrade ($135) and flew for 14 hours in the very last row of the plane without the extra legroom I had paid for 6 months prior to flying. Even knowing the flight was delayed I was assured I would make my connecting flight in Sydney to Melbourne by the gate staff in Vancouver. When I arrived in Sydney I was handed a new boarding pass for another flight because as I suspected there wasn’t enough time because of the delay in Vancouver. While going through customs in Australia I found out my luggage never made the plane leaving Vancouver. The flight leaving Sydney heading to Melbourne was also delayed by 30 minutes. I did not receive my luggage after arriving in Melbourne for close to 48 hours forcing me to purchase clothing.

One would think these problems couldn’t be repeated on the way back to Texas on Wednesday 11/21 but you’d be wrong. The plane again sat at the airport because of electrical issues for 90 minutes in Melbourne forcing me to miss my connection in Vancouver flying to Dallas. I was then advised I’d be placed on another airlines in order to get back to Dallas that day since Air Canada didn’t have any more flights heading to Texas that afternoon. Despite my best efforts talking to both Air Canada and now American Airlines employees my luggage again did not make the plane. When I arrived back in Texas I found out they had lost my luggage again. To top all of this off, I filled out their online complaint form on 11/18 (My Birthday BTW) and did not hear back from their customer relations department for over 20 days.

Luggage people won’t reimburse me because I don’t have any receipts even though I filed a claim for lost luggage twice that could easily be looked up in the computer system. I’ve been told it will take between 60-90 day to receive a refund on the upgrade I’ve missed out on. I sent several emails, messages to social media accounts and made weekly phone calls to departments other than “Customer Relations” since there is no direct way to communicate with them and was told by all those outlets to be patient because Customer Relations works on cases in the order they come in. Too bad I can’t share the discount code they’ve sent me as a sign of “Good Gesture” so others can use it. Discount code or not I’ll never fly Air Canada again, completely unreliable and little to no customer support at all.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Arrived Nov 13th 2018 at Toronto without luggage. Was informed it would arrive day after straight to our home. It did not, I called 15 days everyday to speak to agent who assured me in broken English it will surely arrive. Everyday I heard a new story in broken English of were the luggage is or not is, at that point I called both airports involved myself as the agent told me no one answering. I even spoke to a supervisor who 'escalated' the claim. What a baloney, that means they sent an email and don’t even follow up on it. That's why I called myself. Filled out lengthy claim form as told by agent... Today Dec 10th received phone call that luggage not found. Called agent at Air Canada to once again spend half hour mentioning all items in suitcase. This I have done 3 times now, plus it’s all on the claim form. The service at Air Canada is not even worth the one star.

Travelling to Europe this year, they delayed us so that I arrived at my destination 11 hours later. They offered no reimbursement but a lousy discount to fly with them again. The food on the flight there was also unedible. Not only I had that opinion but most trays were untouched returned on that overnight flight. Two years ago Air Canada ripped and destroyed my luggage and offered no compensation. Bottom line, Air Canada, I have lost my trust in you. Shame on your service.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

My husband and I had booked a flight AC85 from Tel Aviv to Toronto, on Saturday, November 24. We had a connecting flight from Toronto to Newark (flight number AC7654), which was supposed to depart at 18:40 on Saturday, November 24. The flight from Tel Aviv was delayed by over an hour; however, the pilot did his best to get us to our destination as soon as possible. As a result, we arrived at the Toronto Airport with an hour to spare before our next flight. Accordingly, we arrived at our gate at approximately 18:10, the boarding time. However, upon arrival at the checkpoint, a representative of Air Canada notified us that we weren't permitted to board the plane because our plane was late, and they didn't have enough time to store our luggage.

Despite telling her that they could've sent the luggage to us the next day, she persisted that we weren't allowed to board, and gave us a pamphlet, "Interrupted Trip Information", a hotel reservation for the night, $15.00 each for dinner at a restaurant, and tickets to Newark for the next day. Afterwards, upon conversing with a staff member from the airport, it was brought to our knowledge that the flight was overbooked, which is probably the reason for us being forced to give up our seats on the original flight.

As a result of your company's poorly handled business, we then had to fly to Montreal, flight AC406, and then to Newark, on flight AC7740. Consequently, instead of arriving at Newark at 20:00 on Saturday, November 24, we had arrived at Newark at 16:30 on Sunday, November 25. Furthermore, this only served to annihilate all of our plans, and massively inconvenienced us. To get to my point, I just want to say that this behavior, on the part of Air Canada was unprofessional to say the least. This was the worst traveling experience we've ever had.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

I made an airline reservation through Air Canada on August 13, 2018. I found what I thought was a very reasonable price for a flight from Penticton, BC to Mazatlan, Mexico for my husband and myself. On October 23rd, I received a notification from Air Canada advising that our flights had been changed. Rather than spend the night of November 5th in Vancouver as we had initially planned, they changed our flight to travel overnight through Toronto. I called to see why this was done as it didn’t make sense to me that we’d have to travel all the way east to Toronto and then travel significantly west to get back to Mexico City. I was told that the initial direct flight from Vancouver to Mazatlan had a time change and we would not make our connection in Mexico City. I was told that there wasn’t any other choice. So as required, we left home mid afternoon on Monday, November 5th.

Our short stop over in Vancouver went smoothly, as was the flight to Toronto. When we arrived in Toronto, we immediately checked the monitor for our next flight which was leaving in 2 hours time. We went to our gate to prepare for boarding and heard over the speakers that they were announcing for volunteers to check their carry on luggage as the plane was packed and there may not be room for everyone’s carry on. So we volunteered to do that, just as we have done on many other flights. About 15 minutes later another announcement was made asking for volunteers to give up their seats. As we knew we were going to have a very long layover in Mexico City, we volunteered to give up our seats. We were offered a gracious sum of $400 each in lieu of that. We were told that our checked baggage would be taken off that plane and would be reassigned to the flights we were now taking.

As there was not another Air Canada flight going to Mexico City that day, we were told we would travel through Houston, Texas on an Air Canada flight and then United Airlines from Houston to Mexico City. We proceeded to go to the Customer Service desk where these flights were arranged for us. The Customer Service attendant assisted us in finding our way to the US Customs & Immigration, as we did not have a lot of spare time. Our carry on baggage was inspected as were we. We then went to an area where we were told to watch for our name appearing on a board. That would mean that our checked baggage had cleared and we would then be able to pass through customs. There were also Customer Service reps in this area (At least 4). They did not look busy as there were very few people passing through this area and it appeared most of the time that they were just visiting with one another.

After waiting a few minutes and not seeing our names appear we went to them for assistance. We were questioned about our baggage and advised them that our baggage was supposed to have been relocated onto the flight we were about to catch. We were then told to just go through customs and say that we did not have any checked baggage. The Border Guard swiped our passports and asked us where our baggage was. We indicated to him that we were advised to say we didn’t have any. He didn’t take too kindly to us saying that, so we were told to go back to where we came from and get this cleared up. Upon return to the previous area, the Customer Service representative then came with us.

The same Border Guard called for advice from his supervisor by phone. Meanwhile the minutes were passing by on the clock and our flight departure time was getting closer and closer. Finally the Border Guard advised that it was okay to go and we literally ran to our gate only to find the doors closed in our face. We were then told to go to another Customer Service area to rearrange another flight. By this time, we were getting very stressed and tired, after not having slept for about 30 hours.

So we proceeded to go to the Customer Service desk to start another process. A 2nd flight was booked. While there, it seemed like there was a lot of commotion going on. A lady came by who had misplaced her phone, asking if anyone had turned it in. She was told to go back where she left it and it should be there. Over breakfast moments later, I was reviewing the ticket and came to the conclusion that we wouldn’t have very much time for our connection in Houston to Mexico City. We again went back to the Customer Service desk and again saw three or four new people manning the desk. I was chatting with one agent who asked to see a copy of my initial itinerary. I had it on my phone, which I passed to him.

As I was concerned about my flight arrangements, he asked why did I ever agree to them. I responded astoundingly that I didn’t know I had a choice. We were then assured that we would make our flights in time and if we didn’t, there were plenty of flights going from Mexico City to Mazatlan every day so we shouldn’t have a problem. While this discussion was taking place, my husband overheard another lady that stopped by with a concern that she had lost her purse. Not only was it just her purse, but also her passport, money, phone, and all other ID that she was carrying. She was asked how much time she had before her connecting flight and was basically brushed off and told to go back to where she thought she left it. I don’t know why they call these areas customer service as they sure don’t provide it.

We then went to our gate to wait for our departing flight. Some time later, I discovered that I had misplaced my phone. I searched through all my personal belongings and couldn’t find it. I thought I must have left it at the customer service desk. Upon return there for the third time, again there were only two people now, but again different faces. I asked about my phone and both of them said that NO there was not a phone left there. I indicated that I was positive I left it there and they advised that their colleague whom I spoke to was on a break and would have mentioned if I’d have left it. They looked through a couple of drawers to no avail. Then my husband noticed something laying on a shelf behind them. It was a phone. She picked it up and I said that’s it. A black case with white marble running through it. She still would not acknowledge it was mine.

She asked me what the screen saver was and I clearly advised it was my son and my daughter and the dog. She still would not give it to me. I said the passcode to unlock it is **. Finally she handed it over. By this time I was pretty livid. I grabbed it from her and said, "I hope I never have to see you people again." My husband remained there to inform them that they didn’t treat people very nicely, considering how they handled the situation of the first lady who lost her phone, but especially the 2nd lady who lost her purse and was obviously from a different country. He was told that I should consider myself lucky that my phone was even found.

We went back to the gate and boarded our flight for Houston. We had been given food vouchers which we were told could be used in Houston. That did not happen as nowhere there would they accept a voucher from Air Canada. We were now boarding a United Airlines flight to Mexico City and while waiting, an announcement was made that it would be a late departure due to problems with the cargo door. Again the thought of missing our flight in Mexico City to Mazatlan crossed our mind. We finally boarded and landed in Mexico City some time later to find that we did indeed miss our connection. We waited for our checked baggage to come around on the carousel.

Nothing appeared and the carousel stopped. We then talked with United Airlines staff who indicated they could see that we had checked baggage but were not certain where they were or could not track them. We were told that they may have gone on to our final destination – Mazatlan. This did not make sense as the bags were tagged to go to Mexico City. There was nothing on the baggage tag to indicate that we were going to Mazatlan.

By this time, it was around midnight and things were winding down for the day. As we had missed our connection, we were told to go upstairs to the United Airlines counter (which was completely closed), and someone would help us out with a hotel voucher for the night and food vouchers for the next day. We met an agent there who did some research and advised we’d be unable to get a flight to Mazatlan the next day and the earliest we could was two days later on the late night flight. We toyed with the idea of perhaps taking a twelve hour bus trip but then decided against that as we had no idea where our luggage was. We got the hotel and food vouchers and were told to go to Door 4 to catch a shuttle to our hotel. We waited about an hour for the shuttle to come and finally arrived at the hotel around 2 AM.

The next morning we returned back to the airport to try and track down our luggage and rebook the flights to Mazatlan. The United Airlines rep that we dealt with bent over backwards to get this issue resolved for us. He again gave us new vouchers for another night accommodation and meals (Air Canada was off the hook for two days expenses) and also tried to get to the bottom of where our luggage was. As our initial flights were Air Canada, there was no way that United could see what had happened to our luggage. They could only determine that there were 2 pieces. The Rep called to Air Canada and the phone rang and rang and no one answered. He eventually gave up and walked across the room to the Air Canada check in area. He spent a good hour there trying to get some answers for us.

No one seemed to know anything. He returned and advised us to go to United Airlines Customer Service and see if they could help. We did but they were unable to. We then went back to the Air Canada desk again with no results, then back to United Airlines to speak with the initial rep, then back to the Air Canada desk. Finally one of the Air Canada agents advised that she could see that one bag had been delivered and we should check with Air Canada Customer Service. She told us where we could find that office. When we arrived there, we could see one of our bags through the window before going in to the office. The agent there said it had arrived the day before on a flight from Toronto (was obviously never taken off the plane as we were told) and the second bag was currently on its way on the flight from Toronto. We were advised to return in a couple of hours and they should be there.

When we returned, all the lights were off and the door was locked. We were not impressed and tried to look through the tinted glass to see if anyone was in fact in there. Finally someone must have heard us and came to let us in. We again proceeded with our bags to door 4 to catch another shuttle back to the hotel. Again it was another hour and a quarter before the shuttle arrived. We had just spent another 7 hours in the airport trying to resolve our issues. We were glad that we found the luggage and also that we were finally able to get a flight booked for late the next day.

We arrived at Terminal 2 the next night to catch our Aeromexico flight to Mazatlan. The flight was late boarding about 40 minutes and once on the plane we were again delayed. An announcement was made that the pilot had suddenly taken sick and they needed to get a replacement. Due to these circumstances, a one hour delay was nothing considering the past two days of what we had gone through. As it turned out, we finally arrived at our destination around 2:00 AM, only two days late. What now concerns me is the trip home. Again we are booked to fly through Toronto, although I have been told by Air Canada that that could change. Considering we have done a lot of national and international traveling, we have never ever had a more stressful and upsetting experience on any of our previous trips than we have on this one. Unfortunately, I did not get any names of any of the Air Canada staff that we had to deal with.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

How does Air Canada run their business? Well fairly simple. At first you will fall for their advertisement where you get caught with false "cheap" rates. Black Friday Sale and all these things. It is all a huge scam. Not really a sale. Then you go onto their website and when you finally end up realising that you got scammed and you accept the higher airfares, try to book them? Here comes the next big scam.

You spent a large amount of time trying to book these rates and meanwhile your time window is gone. So instead you call an agent. And while they can see what you can see on the website, they first give you the excuse that there is a glitch in the system and that these cheaper fares can't be booked. They try to up-sell you. If you then happen to be a person who accepts this crap you have just lost to a total insufficient company. Funny enough when you talk to the folks at Air Canada who deal with this nonsense, after a while they leak that this happens all the time. Clients get screwed around.

Then you try to reach out to some senior folks at Air Canada and you are being ignored. Kind of "This problem will solve itself" mentality. Then next you wonder how a company like Air Canada never really manages to make decent profits. Well check it out, ever noticed what kind of overhead they operate with? No seriously, count the number of directors and VPs they have with probably nice big salaries. SERIOUSLY CANADA? This is what we have to deal with? Europe has a ton of competing airlines, and guess what, they all make profits by not SCREWING their clients. I wonder if I ever get a response from anyone at Air Canada to have an open discussion on this?

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

I booked a flight to Haiti & return, based on cost of flight. This resulted in included 4 airline (Delta, Jet Blue, AA & Air Canada). All 4 airlines got notice of riots, and unrest in Haiti for past 3 days. Embassies were closing, Canadian embassy scaled back to skeleton staff. Organization where I was to work with while there stated, “don’t come, too unsafe.” The 3 US airlines allowed me to re-book when able. Not Air Canada, they want an extra $200.00 for re-booking... they will try pinch every penny out of anyone who dares book with them... they have no interest in you or your safety.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

Received the worst service both in person and over the phone. Both reps contradicted each other. Forcing me to work in circles. After them beating me around the bush for 30 minutes I was told there was nothing they could do? Seems to me this airline needs to get their priorities straight and maybe take a quick lesson on customer service? I would never recommend Air Canada to anyone for the simple fact that they don’t care about you.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

Airline overbooks the flight. Customer with confirmed ticket arrives at checking and is told that flight is overbooked, sorry. Call customer service for a solution. After being on a phone for an hour, the only comment from the airline is: "Sorry you checked in too late." Fight over definition of too late: was I too late since a plane full of people check in before me, or was I too late since I didn't make the 60 mins closure. I was too late since everybody checked in before me and how hard is that to prove. With my receipt in hand that I was at the airport in time is obviously not enough. The airline has also no proof, but just bullies me by telling me "the system says so".

I had to book a new ticket (without the help of the airline) to get to my destination. I took the same return flight as originally booked but cancelled by the airline since I didn't make it on my flight outbound. Result: double booking costs ($1300) and the airline who says, "Thank you for your business.' (twice) and no refund. The airline makes no lost by leaving me behind because MY seat was taken by somebody else (flight left fully booked) and as a result they also let me pay for the full round trip amount while I use the same return flight. Who is stealing my money here: #AIRCANADA & #BRITISHAIRWAYS. Turning my refund request down since they feel that I have no right for compensation leaves me powerless, but LET'S TEST THE POWER OF LINKEDIN. AIR CANADA ARE YOU A THIEF OR WILL YOU REFUND MY MONEY!!!

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

Incompetent and condescending cabin crew! Not only they don't have the right information about the customs requirements of their own country, they don't even have the decency to act nicely when they are corrected! Delays are routine across the board, long waits on the tarmac in Pearson for no valid reason but crappy scheduling/management. Almost missed my connecting flight. No refreshments offered, you have to pay for their sub-par meals, and service is non-existent! Avoid AC like hell, otherwise always expect the worst!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

On 9/21 I boarded FLIGHT AC002 from Columbus to Tokyo. In between Toronto and Calgary, my baggage did not make it to Tokyo. Please bear in mind I was in town for a business conference where presentation is key and I am a tall 6ft female in a place that is accommodating to shorter sizes. Upon arrival, I saw that my baggage was missing and went to the front counter. The Japanese representative stated that my bag would be arriving 9/23, the day before I left and the end of the business conference. I had no toiletries or clothing or shoes. The flight was full and the flight attendants urged us to check our carry ons (which was my fail safe in case of these incidents) so that was gone as well.

So unfortunately, I accepted the fate and ask about reimbursements. They said to keep the receipts and I would be reimbursed when I check into the flight home. No offer of funds to get by or anything, but that is fine this is normal, right? The next day I struggled and searched until my feet were bleeding to find anything to fit my torso and had to wear basically men's clothes to my conference. It was embarrassing and I stuck out poorly my colleagues and business clients. It was over 30C and hot. I fly 2-3 times a year via Air Canada to Tokyo and various other times to Calgary and Toronto and have appreciated your services.

Fast forward to 9/23, I finally receive my bags and am grateful to shower with my own products to find the wheel is missing and there's a giant hole in the side of the hard shell and two pairs of shoes were missing. I call the baggage services and find out I have to submit all claims online. Not a big deal, I start to do so, however the gentleman on the phone was rude and stated I would have to wait 30 business days for any responses. I told him about my experience and he said to wait 30 days and hung up.

I am a fairly positive person, so I was just happy to get my bag 4 hours before my flight. I drug my broken bag across Tokyo to Haneda on 9/24 and told them I had my receipts. They stated they couldn't reimburse me at all and that I had to wait the 30 business days. Now, I had to use money I could of used on food, etc. for immediate necessities which also hindered my trip. I was basically broke traveling home due to Air Canada's mistake and having to pay premium dollar for clothes that "sort of fit" and used toiletries that wasn't great for my skin. I asked if I could be simply upgraded while I wait for everything, and was immediately told "that they don't honor it as an inconvenience and didn't feel the need or obligation to upgrade my seat for my trouble."

I sadly went home in tears due to the sheer stress of that weekend. Bear in mind, I travel and translate for my job and I have always recommend you. I was told to tweet about my shortcoming and you would respond quicker than this "30 days". I heard nothing. 3 days ago I received an email for my reimbursement, however, there was no mention of the broken bag, missing shoes, hardship, or experience that I dealt with your staff. I sought some comfort in your staff to be told "policy is 30 business days, this isn't important" however, being stranded when you are a tall person in Japan is never good especially when you walk until your feet bleed trying to find something to clothe you and change out of salt soaked clothing.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

Delayed flight after delayed flight followed by cancellations and lost baggage. We flew from Ft. Lauderdale to Venice and flights were delayed, then re routed. Our luggage was lost due to being rerouted and our family of 5 had to go on a 7 day cruise with NO luggage!!! Upon returning home discovered the luggage had been sitting at airport and never delivered to port! Return flight home was delayed then canceled! We lost two days of touring in Venice. $20k vacation ruined by Air Canada. No response from emails or customer service whatsoever after 3 months!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I will travel from New Zealand to Mexico in October. My sister likes Air Canada. So I bought tickets (Booking Reference: **) for my sister and brother-in-law. I was looking forward to traveling together with them. I haven’t bought any travel insurance for them yet. I was so sad to hear that brother-in-law cannot travel in the next three month due to the sudden unexpected medical condition and my sister quit her job to look after her husband. 31 days before the traveling date (31st Oct), I wrote to Air Canada to ask if they could cancel the tickets and get some refund to help them with the medical treatment cost. I also provided my brother-in-law’s medical certificate.

Today (more than 2 weeks away from the date of travel), I got a reply from Jessica: ”We are sorry, but we are unable to make an exception and we hope you understand our position.” I couldn’t understand that Airline could make money in this kind of situation. I paid the airfare to Air Canada on 24 August. 31 days before the traveling date (31st Oct), I requested to cancel the tickets. Air Canada refuses to refund. I am so disappointed with the decision. I thought Air Canada was a very good airline. Air Canada staff were not jobsworths.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I've experienced poor service from Air Canada on a few occasions during the past decade and haven't used that airline for international flights for a long time. However, I decided to give it another chance by booking flights to and from Dublin. Based on AC's confirmation, I paid for a hotel near the airport on the night before the flight. Yesterday, they canceled the flight and offered to rebook one day later. They offered no compensation, despite the fact that it would cost me hundreds of dollars for another hotel night, plus meals. I realize that they have the right to do all this; however, although it's quite legal to inconvenience passengers this way, it may not be the ethical or smart thing to do. AC may save money, but they produce a lot of angry potential clients. As it is, I've been able to cancel my Air Canada bookings and reserve better flights with Iceland Air. In future, AC will be my airline of last resort.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Flight Number: **. Scheduled: Departing Newark (EWR) On October 07/2018 @ 12.50 Arriving Toronto Pearson (YYZ). I was called for passport/document verification for traveling. Both the agent present at the desk lacked knowledge with regards to Work document status for Canada. First of all they mentioned that I was traveling with an expired document (Which apparently was a valid document and both the staff members did not read the dates properly) to which they stated that they will be taking me off the travel list and I cannot board the respective flight. When I mentioned that the travel document still holds validity, they took a second look and later mentioned that I needed ETA to travel to Canada.

Several attempts to apply for an ETA failed, as the website said that I'm not eligible to apply for ETA. All I was told that I cannot travel back to Canada, to which I mentioned that I've a previous travel history of travel on the same document. One of the agent seemed least interested to address the severity of the situation. After a long wait and few phone calls all they said was I'm okay to travel now and it was just a glitch!! I believe it was the ground crew's responsibility to address it properly, as it is a bit intimidating to be in a foreign country anyway. No apologies whatsoever for what happened. This situation could have been handled in a better way.

Air Canada Company Information