2.80/5

438 Air Canada Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 15, 2019

If you want to ruin any vacation/holiday book your flights with Air Canada! As you can see by many complaints they are never on time and their staff really don/t care. We gave ourselves two days to get to our destination which was get aboard a cruise ship, between mechanical delays and lazy staff who could not be bothered with helping us with our luggage that was in their care and US customs would not let us pass without the luggage being checked properly. The ship was held for a half hour and five minutes more it would of sailed without us. Total days of hell dealing with Air Canada on our holiday 5 out of 11 and I am still trying at this time to get this resolved, all I get is the good old corporate line of, "We are sorry to hear about your experience and a minor discount on our next flight." I will continue to pursue this until the bitter end and hope all other do the same.

Original review: April 12, 2019

Please read, below, the text of a complaint submitted to Air Canada one week ago. Thus far I've received only a "format, standard" reply acknowledging receipt, but no further communication since.

"I booked our flight and our "Premium Economy" seats from SYD to YVR in May of 2018. Just prior to our flight I received an Email from Air Canada advising me that I could do an online check-in, if so desired. When I tried to complete this "online" check in, the Air Canada website made it impossible for me to do so. No matter how many times I tried and despite the fact that the website indicated that Sydney was one of the cities wherein I could do an online check in... it would not permit me to do this and kept on coming back to me as "online check-in is not available". In addition, none of the telephone numbers provided on the Air Canada website were functional. I wasted almost 2 hours trying to do this task and finally gave up in frustration.

The next morning, upon checking-in at Sydney airport I was advised that the Premium Economy seats I had booked, last May, for my husband and myself (13A and 13C) had been given away to other passengers. As I have a tendency to suffer from panic attacks when not seated by a window this was a big problem for me. Your very helpful service attendant at SYD (Tracy) tried her very best to put us "back where we should have been in the first place" but she was not able to do this.

Incidentally, we got a different story from just about every Air Canada representative at SYD as to "why" our seats had been given away. In one version it was because there were 2 passengers traveling to Toronto and so they needed those seats (although why they were deemed more important than us I do not know.) Another version was that "someone at Air Canada had changed the flight seating but had not informed anyone in SYD. Yet another version was that it was something to do with the aircraft designation in Canada.

Next problem! (see photo #1 attached). Upon boarding the flight and sitting in the two seats into which we'd been re-allocated, my husband noticed that the seat-side tray was covered with crumbs and had obviously not been properly cleaned.

Next! (see photo #2 attached) After much befuddlement on the part of the aircrew regarding all of our meals due to the seat re-allocations, (we are vegetarian and so required "special meals") I proceeded to eat my first meal. Then, much to my disgust and horror, just as I was about to finish it I discovered a large hair in the bottom of my meal tray (not mine as I have long, fair hair, this hair was dark and only medium length). It almost made me vomit.

Next, when my husband attempted to tilt his seat back he was unable to do so, the flight attendant had to come over and push the seat backwards to its tilted position and then when the seat was required to be returned to its original position, the passenger seated behind him had to push the seat back into position.

The only good thing about our whole Air Canada experience was the SYD staff and the onboard crew, who all tried their best to be of assistance to us. But, in closing, we have to say that we were EXTREMELY disappointed with our experience and it is unlikely that we will ever fly with Air Canada again unless some reasonable explanation for this whole debacle and/or compensation can be provided to us. If THIS was Premium Economy service, comfort and meals I'd certainly hate to be in Economy Class where passengers would surely be worse-off than us.... or would they?"

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 3, 2019

Every time we go to this one week vacation, Air Canada is late. We were happy to be late just 1 hour. But delays are getting longer and longer. Today it is 8 hour in the Toronto airport. The first vacation day is spoiled. Not spoiled but taken away, wasted. On time we should have been on the Beach but sitting in the airport with the children instead. And no one knows when the flight will be. And the compensation is $20 twenty dollars. Yes, their airplanes probably are getting old. And yes they check them right before the flight. And yes no responsibility for the wasted vacation day. Food is always yaki but I don’t care about it. Multinational airplanes is a problem. Breaking the schedules seems regularly is a problem.

Original review: April 1, 2019

In the summer of 2018, I booked a very expensive flight, business class, for a work trip, traveling from North America to Asia. The flight cost several thousands of dollars. Shortly after the flight was booked, I was required to cancel that flight and book the exact same one through the company travel agent as a company policy dictated for tracking and service purposes, flights had to be booked through the agent. Despite the fact the exact same flight was rebooked, once again costing several thousands of dollars, Air Canada charged a $300 cancellation fee.

When I tried to contact customer service for an explanation, I learned there is no one to contact. Any customer service issues had to be sent by email to a customer service address and so I submitted an email question. I did receive an email back, advising Air Canada charges for cancellations, but no offer as to where I can find this information on my ticket and no explanation as to why a $300 charge was levied. I followed up 6 times for answers to my questions and never heard back.

Given that there is no one to speak to because Air Canada doesn't have any customer service, I resubmitted yet another query to the Air Canada "customer service" email address. I never heard back. I submitted another, and another. All told, I submitted 5 requests, never had a response back except to the first one as described above. I am an elite member of Air Canada. I spend thousands of dollars flying all over the globe on Air Canada and I cannot even get the courtesy of a response. My advice, don't fly Air Canada because if you have a problem, there is no one to help you. I cannot rate 0 stars, so I've given the lowest rating possible.

Original review: March 30, 2019

Every year I fly from Winnipeg to Dublin. I’ve flown both Aer Lingus and Air Canada. I prefer Aer Lingus, but their prices seemed to have gone up. So I booked with Air Canada. What a MISTAKE! They were cheaper because they charge extra for luggage. I knew they did that for domestic flights, but International?? I’d never been charged before. They need a pop up when you book online, that asks if you know stowing luggage is EXTRA. Because I’ve flown over every year for the past 5 years, I was shocked to be charged extra. Now for sure, I’ll be booking with Aer Lingus over Air Canada any day. I’ll pay more and boycott Air Canada because when I contacted them via email, they were not even apologetic. I’m a senior and I watch my money. But Air Canada shows large profits...and yet assume when you fly overseas you only need a carry-on. Right. No more Air Canada for me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Air Canada?

Original review: March 28, 2019

I was initially mislead when booking online - they make you believe that infant can travel for free, thus no need to enter him/her as a passenger when booking, they just ask you to call after the booking(payment) is made and add that info. Then they lure you with all the bonuses like free bassinet and free family plan that lets you seat in a same row with your family. BS! For bassinet you have to pay $100, and if you want to sit in the bassinet area with the rest of the family every one of you has to pay extra 10% of the ticket (in my case $110 each)! But this you only find out once you pay them and call in to register the infant. Very unexpected from a big company like that to treat their customers the way cheap scammers do!

Original review: March 27, 2019

I had traveled from Vancouver to Delhi on 15 March and till now after 12 days Air Canada customer care did not answer any my calls or reverted any of my mails. Worst service I have seen till date. If anyone has traveled on 15 on same flight lets get together and find our lost luggage.

Original review: March 25, 2019

Their on-board service is decent. I am not a picky person and usually satisfied with the service as long as they don't lose/misplace your bag or cause damage to passengers. But when it comes to misplaced/lost baggage service, they're immensely disappointing. Their customer care service is worthless. Nobody takes responsibility of your misplaced baggage. They don't even respond to your calls or emails. It's been almost a week and I don't have any information about my baggage. It is highly frustrating. I have noticed that they have been misplacing passengers (hundreds of them) from 15-19th March 2019 especially for the ones flying to New Delhi. I would not recommend Air Canada to anyone if you want your baggage to reach your destination safely. They are extremely inefficient.

Original review: March 24, 2019

I have been traveling for some years from Toronto to Colombia, the majority of the times by Air Canada with good experience. However The last time it was that good, I traveled for March break 2019 with my family, the panes in a 727 which is quite uncomfortable, no space for the legs, no entertaining system which is not acceptable for a 6 hours flight, they offer to use a mobile app for it which is too good at all. Food is not good and they don't even sell anything to eat. On the other hand the check in and notifications are very good, they are always on time and even earlier. That's great, but the plane is not good at all.

Original review: March 24, 2019

Rude customer service, would not directly answer my question, repeatedly interrupted me, then falsely claimed I was 'yelling' at her when I did nothing of the sort. She then hung up the phone on me and I was forced to call back and wait on hold for another 90 minutes before I could reach another person (who answered my question easily and without lying or being rude or hanging up on me).

Original review: March 22, 2019

Our family travels exclusively with Air Canada. We have always had an amazing experience both on and off the aircraft. This time however was extra special. I was dealing with Maria and she went beyond the call of service and left me to tears when I was done our call. YOU PROVE TO ME TIME AND AGAIN NO MATTER WHAT - MY CHOICE WILL ALWAYS BE AIR CANADA! THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!! It's the thought of going beyond to help and serve your clientele. You have no idea how much this has meant to me.

Original review: March 21, 2019

Air Canada Should be ashamed at how they treat their customers! Sunday March 17, 2019 we were on our way back from Fort Lauderdale flight Ac1605 along with Ac1699 and the situation was a total "Cluster **..." I mean both flights mismanaged and endless delays and complete unprofessional in every which way. Once on board the service and condition of the plane was even worse! I mean third world quality bad...really bad! Dirt, debris all over the place, sticky tables and loose seats, nonfunctioning outlets and the list goes on and on. I have flown with Air Canada many times (out of force) and the service has deteriorated well below acceptable levels and I will try very hard to avoid flying with them like the plague. Many words of caution...avoid them if you can PLEASE FOR YOUR SAKE!

Original review: March 19, 2019

Updated on 03/25/2019: This is a continuation of my reviews on Mar 19th and Mar 20th. It has been over 10 days now and I have not received my baggage yet. As indicated in my earlier review, my baggage was handed over to a delivery agent on Mar 19th (over 6 days back). Air Canada closed my case internally and has NO information on the delivery agent to whom they handed over my baggage - no contact number, no address. I got in touch with the Airport Manager at the Delhi Airport - she was helpful in getting me some contact number, but, nobody is picking up the phone on the number. Air Canada has opened up a new case now and wants me to submit a missing baggage form - according to them, the response may take as many as 35 days.

This is very strange. Air Canada seems to be taking no responsibility for my baggage. They handed it over to some agent and have no information. This is very careless attitude from their side. Also, they are not following up to see if the baggage has been delivered. Is there anyone in the same situation as me? I would like to find out if there is any other way to get my baggage.

Updated on 03/22/2019: This is a continuation of my earlier post where I had indicated that I have not received no information on baggage for over 72 hours. Air Canada was able to finally locate my baggage after 4 days and it was transferred to Delhi where it was handed over to some delivery agent. It has not been over 3 days since it was given to them and I do not have any information. Unfortunately, Air Canada has NO information on the agent to which the baggage was handed. They have not been able to get any details for 3 days. I am still waiting to receive my baggage.

Original review: I took a flight from Vancouver to Delhi on March 15, 2019. More than 50 passengers did not get their baggage. After more enquiry, it seems that this has been going on for a few days. Air Canada has been leaving baggage behind intentionally to balance the weight as they need extra fuel. It has been over 72 hours now for me and I have received no information about my baggage. Their customer service is response is extremely slow and they are not even able to tell me the location of my baggage.

Original review: March 18, 2019

Arrived at airport at 5 a.m. for a scheduled 7 a.m. flight (for which I had already obtained a boarding pass online the morning before, within the 24-hr. limit). Was haughtily told, "That flight was cancelled." Was never notified by email until the day of the flight -- and on my home email, too -- not on my smartphone. Grrrrr. Air Canada agent very unhelpful in assisting to find another flight (no crowds to cope with, either). Just said, "Perhaps you need to check with one of the other airlines here in the airport." Fortunately, United had two seats on a Chicago flight at 11:30 a.m., so we did make our connection to Vancouver, but really, really close. Will be a cold day in hell before I book another Air Canada flight.

Original review: March 17, 2019

Air Canada has the worst customer service. It’s not the first time that I fly with them and didn’t get my baggage on time!!! When I tried calling their customer service, They were very unhelpful!! If you’re flying with Air Canada, expect that your baggage will be delayed!!

Original review: March 17, 2019

I have flown with Air Canada all my life. I am Canadian but live in Thailand now for 35 years. I travel to Canada normally twice a year to see my 2 daughters and their 2 children. I am in Air Canada's top flying category.

Original review: March 16, 2019

The phone line is a nightmare, and I found the woman I spoke to rude and dismissive. However, the on-flight staff was SUPERB and I had a very comfortable flight with no glitches or delays. Too bad Air Can is usually so much more expensive than anyone else.

Original review: March 15, 2019

Took a flight from Saskatoon to Edmonton. I fell asleep prior to takeoff. Awoke as we were landing but just not in Edmonton. We were back in Saskatoon. We were told the windshield cracked when we hit 10,000ft. We offloaded and hung around as a group for over one hour before AC rep came by. We had no info as to what was next. She told us that this plane would not be ready to fly until the next day and AC was not going to bring another plane here for us. She'd said "YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN" turned and walked away. I noticed a smiley type of smirk on her face when she walked away leaving over 60 people to fend for ourselves. It felt like she was amused at our plight. This occurred more than 4 years ago and I have not flown Air Canada since. I wish they would change their name to Air Maybe and take the Canada out as I am ashamed such a bad airline has ties in Canada.

Original review: March 15, 2019

February 12 was a bad day for air traffic. Canada, from east to west was beaten up by winter storms. The trip from Kelowna to Sint Maarten was pure hell. But safety first, so I don't blame Air Canada. But of course our luggage was lost and we only had winter clothes in Sunny Sint Maarten. So my wife, son and me bought the very minimum to survive 4 days without luggage.

Back home my wife spend two hours collection all the information about the luggage, receipts, labels etc to send to Air Canada. 4 days later Air Canada responded to ask my wife to do her homework all over again. We are talking here about 250 Can$ for three people who didn't had their luggage during four days. So instead of giving a min amount a day for a lost bags, Canada punish their clients by asking in a very arrogant way to spend hours and hours to get the little money they own their clients. The people on the planes are pretty nice on Air Canada, but the red tape people working in the office are just awful, short minded bureaucrats. People are always complaining about politicians. Better start complaining about those office people.

Original review: March 14, 2019

Flew Air Canada to Shanghai, China on cold wet days, Feb 9, 2019. Baggage was missing for quite a few families. We were promised our luggage on the following day but it never arrived until the fourth day. Apparently, the bags ended up in another city by mistake. It was cold and wet in Shanghai and my long down jacket was in the missing bag. My husband has severe ankylosing spondylitis, a spinal condition that requires special sleeping pillow and aid which is also part of our missing luggage. We had no change of clothes for four days.

We purchased medical travel insurance but not the baggage insurance. Also every day we were promised our bags for the next days so did not go clothes shopping. The time we spent waiting for our missing bags was about one-sixth of the length of our trip. On some nights we were told the bags would arrive after midnight and therefore we had to stay up but the bags never came and we had to call customer service in the morning again. I can't help but think Air Canada had my trip ruined.

Original review: March 13, 2019

After arrived from Brazil in Toronto with a final destination to Cleveland, OH. I found out that my flight to Cleveland was cancel. I was "helped" by a agent named KAKA, when asked her why was the flight canceled very rudely she answered that the plane was on the ground. I said, "So if the plane is on ground why it is not available to flight", then she very rudely answered again, "If the plane is on ground it means it is broken, on maintenance. Do you understand now?" Then she gave us a voucher for $10 Canadian dollar each to cover the delay.

The flight was supposed to departure at 8:35 and end up turning to be an 12:40pm. To make things even worst after traveling 5h driving, 3h waiting at airport and 9h flying from Brazil to Canada with 2 little kids (5 and 3 years old) and a pregnant wife (5 months) I decided to seat at 3 different breakfast restaurants and I found out that each plate cost $15 average, and the voucher was $10 Canadian dollars each.

What a bad company, what a bad customer service and what a frustrating never do it again trip with this bad airline. Not to say that takes over 40min to go through the immigration which offers only 3 officers to every 80 people. If you have the option to pay a little more, or to get another flight that is going to take few more time I would strongly suggest you to fly with another airline. Air Canada I hope never again.

Original review: March 11, 2019

I have had two flights canceled in a one month period along with one delayed flight and lost bags. One month later I still have not received a refund for my canceled flights even though I booked flights the next day. Waiting for them investigate still. Really!!! Perhaps they should look at how often I fly although it appears that doesn't matter. I can understand the weather is out of their hands but refunds aren't. Thinking my colleagues and I will be flying with another airline every week from now on. Advice: Don't use them if you don't have to.

Original review: March 9, 2019

On Feb. 9/19, my niece & I were bumped off a Montreal to London, ON flight & offered $400 CASH EACH. I gave the clerk all my info & when I got home there were two $400 travel vouchers in my email. I sent an email to their customer service and learned that the $800 cash was bumped to $800 vouchers which is now bumped to one future fare at 30% off. In questioning their email decisions, more blatant lies have been perpetrated and no honest resolution given.

Original review: March 8, 2019

Came back from Mardi gras, plane 1.5 hrs late, they said due to weather but they say that to cover themselves. Ran to the connecting flight in Pearson we were two minutes early, we saw the plane sitting there only for them to tell us we were too late, when in actuality they gave our seats up to standby??? Then the real nightmare started, trying to get any answers out of tweedle dee and dum was like pulling teeth, we got railroaded around Pearson for hours only to find out no one knows wtf is going on. Told us they can get us out on Thursday. It's Monday??? We found our own flights only for them to say, "No we aren't booking those for you," never paid our three days in the hotel, oh ya and didn't have our luggage for the three days we had to wait, complete bs, what a joke of an airline.

Everyone Air Canada employee working at Pearson that day should be ashamed, but I know they are not because Air Canada is a joke along w/ their employees, will never fly w/ this airline again. Was a complete joke I give it a -10/10. A disgrace and to the people behind the help desk, you are completely useless and are no better than the corporate Pos you work for, I hope this airline goes under. I'm sure it will and all you ** are out of a job, absolutely disgusted.

Original review: March 8, 2019

Great for business travelers and the seats are more comfortable than the competitors. Once you hit privileged status flying with them is great. Would like to see real special offers though. Sometimes most of their deals aren’t really deals.

Original review: March 7, 2019

Flight from Toronto to Fort Myers was late. Return flight from Fort Myers to Toronto was also delayed. Once in Toronto, flight from Toronto to Timmins was delayed several times well as the gate number was changed 4 times. The Air Canada Rouge plane is smaller than my bedroom so it was very cramped and uncomfortable. When flying out of the country, I am stuck with Air Canada was most connecting flights fly from Pearson.

Original review: March 6, 2019

Very reliable airline, no issues with the aircrafts, fairly new, clean, mechanically well maintained. However, they don't offer pillows or blankets on board, unless you purchase them... Onboard meals, not always available for purchase. Overall, my favorite airline.

Original review: March 5, 2019

My husband and I have decided not to fly with Air Canada anymore. Hour and half late departing Montego Bay Jamaica no snacks just a beverage for a 4 hour flight which turned into a six and a half hours flight. We sat on the tarmac for an hour and a half waiting to unboard the flight. With little or no updates until people were showing signs of frustration no offer of a complimentary drink or snack. When we landed we were told we would be off in 10 to 15mins which was a lie, it was an hour and a half later. With the seat belts sign on we were not allow to use the washroom for over an hour. Good way to ruin someone's vacation.

Secondly in the airport with a few hours layover all the chairs have arms with more than a 100 persons sleeping on the floor. Leaves one to believe air Canada must be working with the hotels forcing their customers to spend money on a hotel room they would be using for less than 3 hours. No consideration towards their customers. They seems to be taking away more every time we fly. For a long vacation like what we take each year they expect people go without clothes because they only allow the small carry on for free. Every check bag you have to pay for which In that case when someone is traveling out of the country should at least be allowed one checked bag free and pay for any other one after that.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I book flights very often and the last flight I booked I book a day I already had a flight for. I noticed the next morning and called customer service and they were so busy they weren’t accepting calls. By this time it’s about 1/2 hr past my 24 hr time frame to cancel for a refund. So it’s a credit now and I will use it up soon. But because they were too busy I got penalized. Just a little beef. But usually, I have good experiences with them.

Original review: March 2, 2019

Air Canada left our group of 33 waiting in the airport from 7:30 A.M. until 4 P. M and gave Delay, Delay, Delay, all day until finally around 4 P.M. they cancelled the flight. At first they claimed it was a weather problem in Toronto & then we heard the plane had a mechanical problem & had to go back to Toronto. They never sent another plane that day. Our group leader called the CEO of Air Canada & got us an overnight stay at the local Hilton in Nashville and a $17 food voucher for 2 people which won't buy much at a Hilton Hotel.

They promised our tickets would be fixed by the next day. Again we arrived at 7:30 A.M. There was no agent at the counter & when she finally did arrive there were no tickets available! Our leaders began to pressure her to do something & finally around 11 A.M. we got tickets but it another stop and layover was added in Zurich, Switzerland. So we flew from Nashville to Toronto to Zurich and then on to Tel Aviv. Bottom line: It took us 3 days to get from Nashville, TN to Tel Aviv, Israel. On the way back the flight was an hour late leaving Tel Aviv. NEVER FLY THIS AIRLINE! They operate as though they are in bankruptcy. Reminds me of the old TWA!

Air Canada Company Information