1.14/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

383 Air Canada Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

Received the worst service both in person and over the phone. Both reps contradicted each other. Forcing me to work in circles. After them beating me around the bush for 30 minutes I was told there was nothing they could do? Seems to me this airline needs to get their priorities straight and maybe take a quick lesson on customer service? I would never recommend Air Canada to anyone for the simple fact that they don’t care about you.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

Airline overbooks the flight. Customer with confirmed ticket arrives at checking and is told that flight is overbooked, sorry. Call customer service for a solution. After being on a phone for an hour, the only comment from the airline is: "Sorry you checked in too late." Fight over definition of too late: was I too late since a plane full of people check in before me, or was I too late since I didn't make the 60 mins closure. I was too late since everybody checked in before me and how hard is that to prove. With my receipt in hand that I was at the airport in time is obviously not enough. The airline has also no proof, but just bullies me by telling me "the system says so".

I had to book a new ticket (without the help of the airline) to get to my destination. I took the same return flight as originally booked but cancelled by the airline since I didn't make it on my flight outbound. Result: double booking costs ($1300) and the airline who says, "Thank you for your business.' (twice) and no refund. The airline makes no lost by leaving me behind because MY seat was taken by somebody else (flight left fully booked) and as a result they also let me pay for the full round trip amount while I use the same return flight. Who is stealing my money here: #AIRCANADA & #BRITISHAIRWAYS. Turning my refund request down since they feel that I have no right for compensation leaves me powerless, but LET'S TEST THE POWER OF LINKEDIN. AIR CANADA ARE YOU A THIEF OR WILL YOU REFUND MY MONEY!!!

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

Incompetent and condescending cabin crew! Not only they don't have the right information about the customs requirements of their own country, they don't even have the decency to act nicely when they are corrected! Delays are routine across the board, long waits on the tarmac in Pearson for no valid reason but crappy scheduling/management. Almost missed my connecting flight. No refreshments offered, you have to pay for their sub-par meals, and service is non-existent! Avoid AC like hell, otherwise always expect the worst!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

On 9/21 I boarded FLIGHT AC002 from Columbus to Tokyo. In between Toronto and Calgary, my baggage did not make it to Tokyo. Please bear in mind I was in town for a business conference where presentation is key and I am a tall 6ft female in a place that is accommodating to shorter sizes. Upon arrival, I saw that my baggage was missing and went to the front counter. The Japanese representative stated that my bag would be arriving 9/23, the day before I left and the end of the business conference. I had no toiletries or clothing or shoes. The flight was full and the flight attendants urged us to check our carry ons (which was my fail safe in case of these incidents) so that was gone as well.

So unfortunately, I accepted the fate and ask about reimbursements. They said to keep the receipts and I would be reimbursed when I check into the flight home. No offer of funds to get by or anything, but that is fine this is normal, right? The next day I struggled and searched until my feet were bleeding to find anything to fit my torso and had to wear basically men's clothes to my conference. It was embarrassing and I stuck out poorly my colleagues and business clients. It was over 30C and hot. I fly 2-3 times a year via Air Canada to Tokyo and various other times to Calgary and Toronto and have appreciated your services.

Fast forward to 9/23, I finally receive my bags and am grateful to shower with my own products to find the wheel is missing and there's a giant hole in the side of the hard shell and two pairs of shoes were missing. I call the baggage services and find out I have to submit all claims online. Not a big deal, I start to do so, however the gentleman on the phone was rude and stated I would have to wait 30 business days for any responses. I told him about my experience and he said to wait 30 days and hung up.

I am a fairly positive person, so I was just happy to get my bag 4 hours before my flight. I drug my broken bag across Tokyo to Haneda on 9/24 and told them I had my receipts. They stated they couldn't reimburse me at all and that I had to wait the 30 business days. Now, I had to use money I could of used on food, etc. for immediate necessities which also hindered my trip. I was basically broke traveling home due to Air Canada's mistake and having to pay premium dollar for clothes that "sort of fit" and used toiletries that wasn't great for my skin. I asked if I could be simply upgraded while I wait for everything, and was immediately told "that they don't honor it as an inconvenience and didn't feel the need or obligation to upgrade my seat for my trouble."

I sadly went home in tears due to the sheer stress of that weekend. Bear in mind, I travel and translate for my job and I have always recommend you. I was told to tweet about my shortcoming and you would respond quicker than this "30 days". I heard nothing. 3 days ago I received an email for my reimbursement, however, there was no mention of the broken bag, missing shoes, hardship, or experience that I dealt with your staff. I sought some comfort in your staff to be told "policy is 30 business days, this isn't important" however, being stranded when you are a tall person in Japan is never good especially when you walk until your feet bleed trying to find something to clothe you and change out of salt soaked clothing.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

Delayed flight after delayed flight followed by cancellations and lost baggage. We flew from Ft. Lauderdale to Venice and flights were delayed, then re routed. Our luggage was lost due to being rerouted and our family of 5 had to go on a 7 day cruise with NO luggage!!! Upon returning home discovered the luggage had been sitting at airport and never delivered to port! Return flight home was delayed then canceled! We lost two days of touring in Venice. $20k vacation ruined by Air Canada. No response from emails or customer service whatsoever after 3 months!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Air Canada?

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I will travel from New Zealand to Mexico in October. My sister likes Air Canada. So I bought tickets (Booking Reference: **) for my sister and brother-in-law. I was looking forward to traveling together with them. I haven’t bought any travel insurance for them yet. I was so sad to hear that brother-in-law cannot travel in the next three month due to the sudden unexpected medical condition and my sister quit her job to look after her husband. 31 days before the traveling date (31st Oct), I wrote to Air Canada to ask if they could cancel the tickets and get some refund to help them with the medical treatment cost. I also provided my brother-in-law’s medical certificate.

Today (more than 2 weeks away from the date of travel), I got a reply from Jessica: ”We are sorry, but we are unable to make an exception and we hope you understand our position.” I couldn’t understand that Airline could make money in this kind of situation. I paid the airfare to Air Canada on 24 August. 31 days before the traveling date (31st Oct), I requested to cancel the tickets. Air Canada refuses to refund. I am so disappointed with the decision. I thought Air Canada was a very good airline. Air Canada staff were not jobsworths.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I've experienced poor service from Air Canada on a few occasions during the past decade and haven't used that airline for international flights for a long time. However, I decided to give it another chance by booking flights to and from Dublin. Based on AC's confirmation, I paid for a hotel near the airport on the night before the flight. Yesterday, they canceled the flight and offered to rebook one day later. They offered no compensation, despite the fact that it would cost me hundreds of dollars for another hotel night, plus meals. I realize that they have the right to do all this; however, although it's quite legal to inconvenience passengers this way, it may not be the ethical or smart thing to do. AC may save money, but they produce a lot of angry potential clients. As it is, I've been able to cancel my Air Canada bookings and reserve better flights with Iceland Air. In future, AC will be my airline of last resort.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Flight Number: **. Scheduled: Departing Newark (EWR) On October 07/2018 @ 12.50 Arriving Toronto Pearson (YYZ). I was called for passport/document verification for traveling. Both the agent present at the desk lacked knowledge with regards to Work document status for Canada. First of all they mentioned that I was traveling with an expired document (Which apparently was a valid document and both the staff members did not read the dates properly) to which they stated that they will be taking me off the travel list and I cannot board the respective flight. When I mentioned that the travel document still holds validity, they took a second look and later mentioned that I needed ETA to travel to Canada.

Several attempts to apply for an ETA failed, as the website said that I'm not eligible to apply for ETA. All I was told that I cannot travel back to Canada, to which I mentioned that I've a previous travel history of travel on the same document. One of the agent seemed least interested to address the severity of the situation. After a long wait and few phone calls all they said was I'm okay to travel now and it was just a glitch!! I believe it was the ground crew's responsibility to address it properly, as it is a bit intimidating to be in a foreign country anyway. No apologies whatsoever for what happened. This situation could have been handled in a better way.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I booked a trip for my myself, my mom, and my son from Seattle to Athens. There was no food service without purchase, no entertainment, the planes were dirty, stuff was smeared on the walls and overhead, and the plane was old. There was even green electrical tape on the wings of our first flight. Upon arrival for our transfer in Toronto the airline crew forced me to put my $350 brand new backpacking pack into the hold because they didn’t want to make people put their purses and small items under their seats where they belong. I asked them to please wrap it in plastic like airlines wrap car seats since the fabric is soft and will tear and the airline attendant scoffed and said she had never heard of that before. I’m still sitting on the flight facing a 10-hour trip staring at the back of a seat with nothing to do, hoping my pack isn’t destroyed when I get off. Fantastic service, not.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

My wife and I took a round trip on August 19-Oct 1, Boston Montreal Athens. Following are my comments: 1. The airline's terminal in Boston was deplorable with torn seat and kinda dirty. Departure was late. Upon arrival, we had to deplane walking down a stairway. My wife uses a wheelchair and she had much difficulty with this unexpected arrangement. 2. The flight to Athens was delayed. Actually this worked to our advantage because we arrived late in Montreal. 3. The Aircraft itself, a 767 300 built (circa 1982) was a miserable experience. The seats allowed for minimum space. I am an average size person but my knees were against the seat in-front of me and the seating area felt reduced in total area causing much discomfort.

The aircraft was devoid of any in-flight entertainment. NO monitors for music, movies, games or news. On the way to Athens we were instructed to use our smartphones, before departure, to download an app so we could access the aircraft's in-flight server to get media on our devices...unbelievable experience!!! This service was not available on the return trip.

4. In-flight service: The meal, I believe that if I offered to my dog, my dog would reject it. The breakfast service was just a single piece of a sealed cake? I am not sure. It looked like it had a shelf life for several years. On the return trip we brought our own food on board. 5. The crew on the other hand was excellent on both legs of the trip. We have taken Air Canada to Athens three times over the recent years and I could say that there has been no change.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I booked a ticket for my granddaughter from Kelowna to Athens, Greece. The first flight was an hour late, the flight from Calgary to Montreal was also late and although she asked to be first off to get to the Athens flight they basically laughed at her and ignored her. After she missed that flight they put her on a flight to Barcelona then to Athens, her suitcase was lost and we are still waiting for it. At no point was she compensated or treated politely. As a Canadian I am truly disappointed.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

Flight #** from Seattle to Vancouver was to leave at 8:55 PM for a connecting flight to Montreal, Canada. Flight number ** was posted at the gate throughout 9:30 PM while several flight delays had been shown while we waited. After concerns of missing our connecting flight in Vancouver several of us approached the agent at the gate desk. She yelled at us and told us we had to leave right now and go to the "lobby" where agents would help us book other flights because our flight had been canceled... first we heard of a cancellation. The "lobby" turned out to be the ticket counter where we had already stood in a short line for over an hour to check in... extremely slow service. At the counter we were told by another passenger in line that we had to go to baggage claim to collect our luggage from the canceled flight with no help from anyone from Air Canada. Stood in line for well over an hour trying to get a flight to Montreal.

They did book us into a hotel for the night and we left Seattle on a flight to Calgary Canada and then to Montreal late the next morning. Both of those flights were over an hour late departing. This by far is the worst experience I have ever had with any airline I have flown with. They were inept and not helpful in any way and treated us terribly throughout this whole ordeal, especially the agent at the gate counter when she yelled at us to leave. The service at the check in counter is slower than I have ever seen. When you stand in line for over an hour and only a few passengers are checking in that's way too slow and inefficient and it happened every time we were in that line... all three times. Flying with this airline again is really not to be considered.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

My husband and I were booking tickets to Amsterdam. We filled out our personal info, selected our seats, entered our card information then reached a screen saying that the purchase attempt had an error. We thought, "oh, okay. It probably timed out. Let's give it one more try." We then tried to purchase it again and received another error message saying that our flights couldn't be booked and we were to contact customer service. Naturally, we assumed the booking did not go through and opted to book with another airline.

I tried to call customer service and the automated menu/call-back option wasn't working. I was not going to wait on the line since wait times were between 35-55 minutes. All the while, the flight charged are pending on my card. I assumed they would remove the pending charge because we couldn't get booked on a flight. INSTEAD, they went ahead and charged us for the flights and now claim that they cannot refund us and that it will be up to my bank to contact them. It absolutely boggles my mind that they can charge us for tickets that we never received.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

We had a flight from Calgary to Nassau with one stop in Toronto. We couldn't do the check in online but we did it in the airport in Toronto for both flights. The attendants in Calgary at the counter were really inexperienced. They did our check in for both flights in Calgary (Calgary-Toronto, Toronto-Nassau) and gave us the printed boarding passes matching our booking.

When we tried to do the check in for our second flight, my boyfriend (which was seated with me) was nowhere to be found in that flight (with the boarding pass in his hand). They said somebody booked another guy on the same seat (we had the seat numbers since months before) and that they would change him to another spot. After a few minutes of freaking out as he was nowhere in the system, they just said, "another guy just did the check in in the same seat". Because of their incompetence we had to have a hard time and seat separately. Also no meal or snack on board. Flying from 1 am (local time) until 10:55 (local time). First time and last in this company.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I try to use Air Canada as much as possible for my trips to keep my status that ranges from 25-50K depending on the year. I am accustomed to slightly above average service that they give, with flashes of kindness and incredible service to downright incompetence. This story is the latter. They lost my son’s car seat 5 days ago...I am still without a car seat. Each time I call the number on the "delayed baggage" tag they gave me, I am transferred to INDIA...so I tried French (I am Bilingual), and then got a French Indian? (You thought the English accent was hard to understand...eesh). Horrible service. It’s like talking to a record player, that skips, continually. Get your act together AC. Hire Canadian! It is tarnished your Skytrax awards...(how you got those...who knows).

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

My wife and I recently flew Air Canada from Toronto to Budapest. The flight was more than 8 hours but they never offered breakfast to their passengers. Needless to say we were hungry upon arrival. No entertainment either, meaning no TV in flight to kill the boredom of long flying hours. They served dinner right after takeoff with a couple of choices. When our turn came, we asked for chicken which was in the list of choices, they ran out and told us, "You have no choice but pasta". That would have been fine but I am diabetic and don’t need to load up on carb. They didn’t have any other choice after that.

Then it was time to take a nap... Remember there was NO entertainment at all whatsoever. My wife asked for an eye mask, the response? Those are for “premium passengers only!” What the hell Air Canada, it is an international flight for crying out loud! But I’m glad it happened so I can warn my friends and colleagues about your service. And by the way, when you charge $3.50 for your headset on your flight that has entertainment (Toronto to Portland, OR), I think it's highway robbery. They are free in airlines flying from one country to another.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

Okay so me, my brother and my grandma had a flight to go to Calgary. It wasn't direct. So we went from NYC-Toronto-Calgary... So on August 8th was our flight. Once we got to our gate in NYC we were told that our flight was delayed and I was like that's fine... But our flight kept getting delayed to the point that we were going to miss our Calgary flight. I went to speak with the customer service lady. Now I'm a very anxious person. I struggle with serious anxiety issues. So while I was talking to her she kept rolling her eyes at me and that was making me even more anxious to the point I started shaking.

I also kept asking her questions, cause I need reassurance. She legit said and I quote: "Can you stop being anxious cause I hate repeating myself". People behind me started to laugh. So I just said sorry and walked away, still confused. We got onto our plane and landed in Toronto. Now, this is where everything got messed up. We went through border control and everything. I went to customer service again and was told that our flight was delayed which was perfect. I went to my gate and NO ONE WAS THERE. I asked someone if our flight was canceled and I was told that we missed our flight. Now I was concerned about our luggage. They told us that our luggage was still here. I went to look for it and couldn't find anything.

So I started crying and having a breakdown. I called my cousin who lives in Toronto to come to pick us up. When they came they looked around the airport to find the customer service area and there was no one. We found one lady but she told us that everything is closed and that there are no more flights going out for tonight. I started crying again. My cousin lead us to the other service area and told us that our Calgary flight that WE WERE SUPPOSED TO GO ON had left about 7 minutes ago. I was screamed at the top of my lungs. We then went to another service area and we had to wait in line for 4 hours. There were only about 6-8 people in front of us. But it still took 4 hours to get through... The lady at the desk was extremely nice and helpful. She rebooked our flight for the next day. And after that everything went smooth and as planned. But in conclusion the airline was rude to us, wasn't as helpful, and made us miss our flight.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

Our group of four people took a flight to San Francisco from Vancouver two weeks ago as it was the easiest decision. Our group also did so after receiving a phone call from Amtrak informing us that my return trip to San Jose was cancelled due to a fire in Redding, California and they had no idea how long the closure would be. Since we needed to get home promptly since a family member had another vacation beginning in a few days, we decided to fly. We decided on Air Canada as they were their schedule met our requirement that it wasn't both too early or too late in the day. Another reason was that the flight arriving in San Francisco was perfect as we wouldn't be stranded at the San Francisco Airport for so long as we had someone would pick us up after that person got off work.

Long story short. I realized the following afternoon that I had mistakenly left my passport on the flight to San Francisco. I immediately submitted a lost & found request with all the information including where I sat on the flight to Air Canada. I followed it with calling them. The person that I talked to wasn't helpful and suggested that I call the San Francisco Airport which I did. The person at the airport transferred me to the local office for Air Canada. Unfortunately, the local office had closed for the day. So I called the next morning and after many minutes of waiting on the phone was asked if I had filled a request online. I told the representative that I had. The person responded with that I had done everything and that I would be receiving messages from them. Also that nothing else could be done and that I would have to wait.

It has been two weeks since I have submitted the lost & found request and in that time I have received the same generic response. First on a daily basis. Since then, it has dwindled down to once a week. And the troubling part is that it looks as if it is outsourced to a company located in Nevada called Chargerback. So there is no telling what is going on. Is Air Canada even looking for it? Do they communicate with Chargerback on a daily basis? Why the message saying something that has to do with the company's software. And is there any other way to contact someone at the San Francisco Air Canada office. Such as their phone number, I mean. It is certainly the first and last time that I will take Air Canada. They don't seem to care after you've taken a flight on their airplane.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I was scheduled to fly from LaGuardia airport NYC to Montreal on Saturday, August 11th at 8:45 am. Before I went to the airport I checked my notifications and the alert said the flight was scheduled "on time." However, while waiting at the gate the flight was twice delayed due to inclement weather. Then it was CANCELLED. AC rebooked the flight for a day and a half later. When I asked to be accommodated in a hotel that night they said "no." When I stated that I could not wait another day and a half they said that was the best they could do.

I was in tears as my daughter was waiting for me in Montreal & the Air Canada staff was completely indifferent. Finally I called AC reservations and after waiting on hold for 20 minutes, I reached someone who booked me on a Delta flight to Montreal that morning. However, the flight was at another terminal and I had to get my luggage which I had checked. I basically ran through the airport and to the shuttle bus-- luckily I made the Delta flight. It was such a stressful experience and the workers at LaGuardia airport, Air Canada, are the crew from hell who could care less about their passengers.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

Last night the flight I was on from Toronto to San Francisco was delayed three hours. This was inconvenient, missing my connection, to return to Australia. No complaints about this, presumably it was best to be cautious with a potential mechanical problem. While waiting I got a $15 meal voucher which I used to get a glass of wine with my meal.

While I was in the air staff managed to re-book my to Australia (but just one leg and not the next). My gripe is arriving in San Francisco, about midnight with no arrangements made for accommodation. I was not told my bag would be forwarded to Quantas (so I waited an hour at the baggage with no bag). I was told I would get a hotel voucher, but this was refused when I got to San Francisco. The explanation was birds which are a "natural phenomena", so I was on my own in the USA and no accommodation. It took hours and a taxi into the city to find a bed. Not impressed. I took numerous vows last night never again to risk Air Canada. I thank God for Qantas.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

I frequently fly from California to Alberta, always using US airlines and WestJet except for two times. Most recent of those two was the most terrible experience. Flight from Vancouver to San Jose was a Twilight Zone disaster. Air Canada is a shabby outfit. For openers, the initial 2:12 delay was said to be caused by a "broken airplane" in the AC system.

On the dumpy 3/4-scale AC Bombardier CRJ-900 regional jet, everything is squeezed tight. I got a seat all the way in the back. Noisy (rear engines) and very scrunched. So this tall guy sits next to me and is obviously uncomfortable. He noticed a roomier seat close to the front was empty and asked the flight attendant if he could move. She said no, it was a higher payment class seat. But a minute later, the lanky guy contorted in the cramped space and easily stepped over me - I didn't have to get up - and simply went to that forward seat. The attendant wisely decided not to challenge him and have a scene.

Widespread AC delays were caused by their shortage of usable airplanes - a "broken airplane" in their system. Now they have one less as of the wee hours in that morning. We finally get off the ground, and the pilot announces, "...The bad news is that the landing gear won't retract. The good news is that it is extended so we can land." We circled around Vancouver almost 2 hours, arguably to reduce the fuel load for a safe landing (see FlightAware ACA8120 July 1, 2018). I ended up along with many others on the airport floor at 1 am with a free yoga mat, a thin blanket, and $10 food voucher. The agent said they'd already supplied 400 hotel rooms to customers yesterday and had no more. I only got 2 hours of sleep. I blew the full $10 at the airport Tim Hortons in the morning.

When we landed from the brief excursion, we had to re-enter Canada through customs as if just landing from the US, since we had crossed the US border for 5 minutes. At that late hour, there were no CBSA agents, so we had to wait for a team to show up after midnight. Then of course again in the morning to leave, another visit with the on-site TSA to leave Vancouver. Three customs visits altogether to get off the ground. Some people insisted on a hotel and they were told to book one such as through Expedia (at 1 am) and keep the receipt to be reimbursed by Air Canada. Kiss that $$$ goodbye after a tiring bureaucratic fight.

I frequently fly to Canada but never use Air Canada after my first AC flight months ago was such a mess with a 4 hour delay. That time they compensated us by passing out free headsets - cheap, tinny, 50 cent official ACA earbuds. In the noisy CRJ-900 that time, you had to turn them way up loud. There was no bass. Got a very bad impression of ACA and decided never to use them again. However, on the recent trip ACA had the only flight at a desired time and particular day. So I gritted my teeth and made what turned out to be a huge mistake. I'm mad because my intuition said to make another choice but went ahead with ACA. Some more experienced travelers said it was their worst trip ever.

Finally made it home on another decrepit, small CRJ-900 although there was another 1:30 delay for that flight of all things. I took a photo of that plane out the terminal window that shows a lot of peeling paint on the front. But at least we successfully made it to San Jose. Don't ever use Air Canada if you have subsequent connections. Air Canada currently charges for seat selection and also for all on-board snacks while soft drinks and water are free of extra charge.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I have flown 4 times with AC, and 3 times was delayed, and my luggage was lost twice. Flights are always delayed, by SEVERAL hours and no one gives a single crap about it. They just tell you "it just happens". Never happened to me with United or American Airlines. If AC would have to compensate their guests, or suffer some sort of penalty when they are late, not a single flight would ever be late! They praise themselves saying the won best customer service award... I call absolute BS. Not a single employee looks like they are enjoying themselves. No one has a smile on their face, and don't even look at you when they reply. I sincerely would rather grab the amount the ticket cost me, and flush it down the toilet than EVER flying with Air Canada again... They don't even have a section to leave reviews on their website. Probably because they know it would get flooded with bad reviews!

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

My family and I were supposed to go away to Canada for the weekend, to see relatives we have not seen for a long time. We booked a flight on Air Canada, to Toronto, for 8/2/2018 and returning 8/5/18. When we came to the airport on 08/02/2018 we waited in line for over an hour and a half to check into our flight. When our turn came we were told that our flight was canceled and we can take an 8:30 pm flight. That was absolutely fine and we asked to be put on that flight. When the agent went to put us on the 8:30 pm flight we were told that he cannot do this because our flight was actually scheduled for 08/03/2018. We showed him a printout, printed just before we got to the airport, stating that the flight was 08/02/2018. We were told that there is absolutely nothing that can be done because someone else changed our flight.

We called Air Canada and it turns out that their computer system automatically re-booked us for the following day, after our flight was cancelled; however the airline would do nothing to fix this. We tried to call a few other places to see if can have another flight to see our family, with no luck. We did not get to go see our family, who we didn't see for over 20 years. We tried calling Air Canada again and staff was incredibly rude, stating that all inquiries must be handled via e-mail and not the phone. We tried to explain our issue and the staff would not even talk to us and were very rude. We will never use them again.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

I would like to share that I am in the middle of the worst flying experience I have ever had and am incredibly disappointed. My flight #8098 from Seattle to Vancouver yesterday was delayed 4 hours, and I accordingly missed my connecting flight #896 to London. The flight they moved me to leaving tonight has now also been delayed. I’m going to be getting to London a full day late and completely missing the impotence for the whole trip, which is taking place Sat outside London.

In Seattle I was told they could not assist me with rebooking or tell me if they would be able to accommodate me with a spot on the next flight. I was told I had to talk to a ticket agent in Vancouver when I arrived. But, when I arrived at 11 pm, I was asked by Air Canada staff why I had come and told ticket staff leave at 11. I was then given a hotel voucher, $20 of food vouchers, and told to pick up my bag. But the belt was broken, so I couldn’t get my bag for an hour.

When I arrived at the hotel, there were six Air Canada passengers with vouchers and only one available room. No one had called ahead to confirm availability. We arrived at the hotel past 1 am. We were told no one could meet us with new vouchers — that we would have to check in, go through security, get a new voucher, go back through customs, and get a new shuttle to a new hotel. I ended up sharing a room with a stranger, and one couple decided to sleep at the hotel.

$20 of food vouchers is kind of ridiculous for a full day. The folks catching an 8 am flight got the same amount, and our flight was leaving 20 hours after we arrived. So we are only getting compensated for one meal? I have a medical condition that necessitates being in a window seat. I was told that there was no guarantee I would still be getting one. I was also initially told I may not get a vegetarian meal as ordered because you require 24 hrs notice for the request.

At no point did an employee seem to view as anything other than an inconvenience. Each we person we spoke to said they were not responsible for our issues. Landing in Vancouver and being told that they were confused about why I had come was shocking. I’m devastated about missing my event and the opportunity to see someone I haven’t seen for over a decade. I have severe anxiety, and the hours of not knowing if I’d be rebooked in time to make what was the key motivator for the trip was extremely distressing, as is not knowing about whether I’ll be in a window seat or facing several long hours of discomfort. Furthermore, my hotel can’t hold my reservation, so I might not have a place to stay. And I’m traveling on a tight budget.

It would have meant so much to have a representative indicate compassion and care, to say, "We’ll do our best to make sure you have a window seat," rather than say that there was no way to know. To have gotten to a hotel with enough room for me to be able to sleep privately would have really helped me rest for another long day of travel.

To have had someone apologize for us being sent to a hotel that couldn’t accommodate us would have been meaningful. To have not been intimated to that there was some mistake or negligence that sent us to speak to a ticket agent who wasn’t there when it would have been so much more convenient to—if my new flight is a day later—spend the night at home and be able to get something to eat would have been impactful. Overall, there were so many issues that I feel a complaint is warranted. Were I an EU citizen I would be eligible for compensation for this lengthy of a delay. I don’t know if I have rights as an American, but if not, that is something that should change.

Original review: July 29, 2018

Extremely poor and frustrating experience with the airline and its staff at Vancouver YVR and New Delhi airport. Was supposed to fly from New Delhi on 28th July 2018. Flight got cancelled after we were all checked in and luggage checked in. Extremely poor management of the situation as the ground staff had no clue, were unable to respond to questions and completely devoid of any empathy for the customer. Took about 4 hours to finally tell us what was going to happen with tempers flaring and multiple arguments with no responsible person to provide any answers at the airport. Took long time to get the luggage out and the wheelchair assistant disappeared without providing any info.

Arrangements to arrange stay at Delhi including transportation was extremely inconvenient and chaotic. Also hotel arrangement was poor. Next flight was next day. Made my connection for flight in 1 hour 15 min after scheduled arrival in Vancouver. Explained to staff that it would be difficult to catch connection with my handicapped mother. They kept reassuring to the contrary. Promised that they will try to get me a seat close to aircraft door and also get the wheelchair at the door but that did not happen. Plane arrived 45 min late in Vancouver. My handicap mother had to walk quite a way before we could find a electric cart. Unsurprisingly we could not get connection with customs and immigration clearance that was to be done.

Was given a standby ticket for a Air Canada flight 6 hrs later with assurances that we will get confirmation once we get to gait. The gate agent was extremely rude, unsympathetic to plight of 78 year old dementia and arthritis patient who was already breaking down with 30 plus hour delay in a trip that without delay is about 20 plus hrs and totally unhelpful. Was unwilling to talk to his managers or do anything to help other than offering a booking for another Air Canada flight another 4 hrs later.

Unprofessional, poor basic human concern, unhelpful, poor staff training and culture and total disregard to basic human decency is what summarized my experience with Air Canada. This is the first complaint that I am putting in for anything in my 48 years of existence and I am a physician fairly well traveled with extensive experience in dealing with multiple entities and people throughout my life. Never had such a horrible experience till now.

Original review: July 24, 2018

Our experience with Air Canada, worst experience of our life... More and more, we are hearing about bad passenger experiences in North America, where airlines are going way too far claiming safety and security as an excuse to cover bad behaviors from their teams. Here is a story I would like to share about our flight with Air Canada this week-end... a nightmare. First of all, let’s give more details about the context. We are a family of 6, with kids from 15 to 2 years old, traveling with an emotional support animal. As we are expats here in San Diego, we are very used to travelling overseas with the kids. We all fly at least 4 times per year on long flights and we never experienced any issues. I’m a very frequent flyer, used to cross the globe every month for my job... So we are really not novice when we are talking about flying.

So here is what happened: We were booked for our flight back to San Diego at 10:25am, landing at 11:25am in Vancouver, and a second flight from Vancouver at 1:10pm to San Diego. So we had almost 2 hours between the 2 flights which was enough to commute in Vancouver. Way after we booked our tickets, Air Canada rescheduled the flight at 12:55pm... We left our house in France at 7am this Saturday, flying with Air France from Paris to Vancouver, then connecting from Vancouver to San Diego. The first flight went great. We took off around 10:50am for a 10-hour flight in business class. Of course for the little one, hard to have him sleeping as it was a day flight.

As our flight was slightly delayed, we rushed in the airport to Air Canada check-in counter. We were there at 12:05am, a little bit short, but the airport was very quiet at that time. The agent at the counter took forever and though we were flying to San Diego Chile... her English was very poor. The manager was on lunch break, and the time she appeared, it was too late and they rebooked us on the 7:55pm flight. Imagine the whole family, after such a long transcontinental flight, 9 hour jetlag, and the little one who just turned 2 years exhausted... Now we have to wait at the airport for 8 hours. No help, no humanity, nothing... and this flight was delayed and left the gate at 1:08pm. We really, really had plenty of time to make it, they just didn’t make it happen.

Now the worst part of the story... Our little one was tired, very tired and was sleeping at the time of boarding. He woke up in a very bad mood when we took him to the airplane and was crying...like a baby. We were split with the kids on 3 different rows. My wife sat with him, me next to them and the other kids behind. Once boarding was completed, a flight attendant came to us and asked us how old he is. He turned 2 years 2 weeks ago. She told us to sit him on his seat as this is the procedures. The baby was very very upset and crying a lot, my wife had him in her arms to try to calm him down. She asked her if she could keep him for take off as he was in a very bad mood, and I told her about our long flight and very long wait at the airport, and the flexibility other airlines are giving in this case.

She became very aggressive to my wife while we were explaining her the situation... and started arguing with us. You know what it is when a mother tries to protect her child. I thought her role would have been to calm down the situation, but she preferred to add oil on fire. At the third (aggressive) request from her, my wife complied and put the baby on his seat, and of course, he started crying again, but he was on his seat. A few minutes later, everything was fine but when she realized that our 11 years old daughter was sat at an emergency exit (that's the seat they gave us) she came back to us and told us to exit the aircraft. I tried to calm down the situation and told her it was quite excessive, and that the baby was on his seat. She responded that if we don’t leave the aircraft right away, she would call the police. The captain, who is the decision maker, never came to us neither to have our version or to calm down the situation

What a shame in front of our kids, in front of the other passengers. Everybody was shocked and so sorry for this situation. We left the airplane, saw a manager who went to the flight attendant who justified her decision because we only complied at the 3rd request... (We have that on a video...) and told us he couldn’t do anything for us. So they left a six member family, exhausted at 8pm, with absolutely no assistance at the airport. We booked on our cost 2 hotel rooms where I dropped everybody before going to ticketing. They were only able to book us to LAX the next day, giving us a 3-hour drive on top of this awful experience.

Since we are back, we are still trying to recover and our baby is sick, going to the pediatrician tomorrow, and my wife so scared to travel again. I’m not the kind of person to complain for nothing, but I didn’t even imagine this kind of situation would happen. These people have way too much power and took a decision that was absolutely not justified. She just didn’t want to deal with a baby during an evening flight... and they turned our journey into a real nightmare.

Original review: July 21, 2018

I’m a 82 year old person who has a passion for travel. I have flown with most of the major airlines and lesser aircraft. My first experience was in 1961 from London to Paris on an aging Dakota aircraft. After reading a lot of negative reviews of Air Canada I approached my recent trip from Brisbane Vancouver with Air Canada with trepidation expecting the worst. Was I mistaken? The crew were so cheerful, helpful and couldn’t do enough for us. The food was as good or better than I have had on other aircraft. From my experience I fully recommend Air Canada and I would definitely fly with them again.

Original review: July 19, 2018

I will admit we haven't flown that much, but our experience with Air Canada on June 13th in Toronto was horrible. We started off from Atlanta and finally got to Toronto International Airport and being disabled we had help to get us to our gate. As we were about to board they pulled us out of line saying since we were from the USA we would have to go through additional screening of our luggage and we were not allowed to board. We were told that we would have to wait until the next flight which was three more hours. I asked to talk to the gate manager and he asked the rude gate employee were we there on time and she said yes.

Tomas was a very nice man and explained that due to all of the delays that our bags were not able to go through customs in time for us to board our plane. We were also told by the rude gate attendant that we would be unable to sit together on the next flight. We asked Tomas and he looked at the computer and shook his head and did something and then told us that wouldn't be a problem. We finally reached St. John's NL about 7 hours late and totally exhausted. We were celebrating our 40th anniversary and it will be one we won't forget and will forever leave a bad taste and opinion of Air Canada. We did complain to AC and they came back with a $150 CAD each for our 7 hours and getting involuntarily bumped from our flight. Thankfully we flew Delta back. I can only assume we were treated like this due to being Americans. The people of St. Johns were delightful and once there enjoyed our trip.

Original review: July 9, 2018

I submitted a request to Air Canada (through their website) for a receipt for a flight I recently made but did not receive an email acknowledgement about the request. I submitted a second request a week later and with the same result (there was no email in the trash file). I called Air Canada and was told that they do not send email responses to requests like mine and that their response to my request typically takes 25 business days. I'm not impressed by either Air Canada's unwillingness to send out an email response to my request or their incredibly long response times.

Original review: July 7, 2018

Air Canada was incredibly rude and harsh when I missed my flight when I arrived at the airport. I take part of the responsibility, however the frustration that caused me to miss my flight was in large part due to not being able to connect with Air Canada after many repeated efforts and messages, prior to my return flight home. Then I confused the A.M. P.M. time which has never happened to me before and I've travelled frequently. Air Canada took full advantage of this by charging me 2 full 2 way return fares for 1 return flight.

After arriving home they've been giving me the runaround for 2 1/2 months. And it seems they hire front liners in their Customer Service department possibly at minimum wage, some of whom you're not sure they understand what you're saying in English and are coached on how to get rid of people who've been mistreated or had a bad experience. A total departure from the professionalism of Air Canada in the past. Apparently confusing 24 hr and the 12 hr clock is a very common problem and Air Canada is using it to their full advantage to gouge people to the maximum.

Suggestions: I wonder if they've thought of 12 hr time in brackets underneath the 24 hr time on tickets. At the least Air Canada should be available at a phone numbers where they can be reached overseas as they assure you they are. If the mistake occurs charge a reasonable ticket change fee and not gouge and take full advantage of their customers. Will they listen??

Air Canada Company Information