Air Canada

Compare Airlines

Research top Airlines recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Vanita of Massapequa, NY on

It should be illegal to oversell seats on aircrafts. Air Canada constantly oversells their seats and puts their paying customers on stand by, destructing plans and adding to the stress of air travel. This is the second time air Canada has bumped me off their flight due to overselling. I was bumped off a flight from Regina to Toronto causing me to miss my flight to New York and resulting in me missing a very important wedding. Once again air Canada flight 715 from NY Lga to Toronto is oversold causing me to miss my onward flight to Mexico. Air Canada is a very inconsiderate airline only interested in its bottomline rather than its customers. And should have to pay legally for the distribution it causes to its passengers' lives.

richard of Greenwood, NS on

THIS IS THE WORST EXPERIENCE EVER!!! We travel to Samana last June. When we arrived at airport we found out that my wife's luggage was missing. The next day we had to go purchase more clothes. We received it about 24 hours. When we got back I put in a claim. This and after emails and phone calls more emails and more phone calls. When I sent all information that they ask to sent and I get a reply saying this is invalid email. So then more emails and phone call. All they said was sent it again and they would return my call. Nothing happen. Where is my return of our money? I can say that no one will reply to this either. I am pissed with Air Canada.

Maria of Tinos, Other on

I use to travel a lot but it's my first time that I have a so terrible experience from an airline company and this is Air Canada!!! In details, I was travelling from Toronto (YYZ) to London (LHR) with the flight AC 868. This flight was a connected flight with Aegean (A3 609) and my final destination was Athens (ATH). The total waiting time in London (including boarding time for my next flight) was only 1h and 15m. The plane had a delay of almost 30 minutes. That means that when the plane landing in London, the boarding time had already began. So, it was obvious that I was missing my flight. Probably more passengers had the same problem with me. Before the landing started, I informed an air hostess about that and her truly ironic answer was that this situation wasn't her problem. By the moment that the plane landed, I asked - for second time - for help from another air hostess.

I told her if someone could help me to catch my next plane and what could I do in order not to miss my flight. The answer was again rude and ironic: "What can I do about this! When you get out from the plane, find someone to ask where is your gate!" Of course none of the air hostesses didn't ask me if it was really important for me to go back to Athens on time. None cared if I missed my job and of course none cared about how much money cost to me this plane delay! The only thing that all the people of Air Canada cared was to go early home after their work! For the history, I missed a very important meeting for my job. So, as it was expected, when I got out of the plane, the first man that I found, it was a Heathrow security that he told me that it was impossible to catch the flight (flight number AC 609), as I had to walk a lot until the next terminal.

This man told to go straight to the Departures in order not to be lost in the airport and ask from Air Canada for help and to find for me a hotel to stay until the next flight. At this moment, the time was already 22:00 and the flight was schedule for the 22:15 (there is no delay to that flight). When I went to the Departures, no one was in the desk of Air Canada. So I decided to go to the desk of Aegean. There, I found a very polite woman, that booked for me the next flight. As she tried to communicate with someone from Air Canada without any results, she communicated with the Manager of her departure. A man came to the desk and proposed me to help me find a hotel (as the next flight was on the 26th of April, at 12:15 - flight number A3 601) for the night. Of course the problem was that should pay and the next morning I should ask the money from the desk of Air Canada.

And of course I had no money with me (pounds), so I was obligated to pay with my debit card. So all my payments in London was in a very expensive rate (through the Greek Bank) and I have to pay also 2 difference commissions for these transactions (commission for the rate and commission for the transaction in a foreign country). The people in the desk of Aegean, finally found for me a hotel (as they called more than 4 hotels near the airport, but they was all full booked), they explained to me how I could go by bus to the hotel and generally did their best in order to communicate with my family in Athens and informed them that I won't go back home that day. My hardship - of course - didn't stop there. As I went to the hotel LEONARDO (I mention the name in order not to visit it), that I had already pre-pay as the hotel didn't accept otherwise the reservation, I realized that the room was awful and dirty. Of course, I couldn't sleep.

Even I couldn't took a shower in order to relax for a little. More there is no paper even in the toilet! I was only waiting for the next morning to run away from that really bad situation. I forgot to mention that my only choice during the evening for eating something, after more than 20 hours that I was on the road (of course the food on the plane was awful and the food serving was enough only for 3-4 years old child, if you needed some water you had to wait for the time that the trolley starting to serve the travelers etc etc etc) was to order something in the hotel. As they mentioned to me, the kitchen closed 10 min after my arrival in the hotel, so they could prepare for me only hamburger or cheeseburger - a kind of food that I hate.

Having no other choice, I order a cheeseburger in order to eat the bread and the cheese as I knew that I couldn't have even breakfast (the hotel price was 139 pounds for a single room without even Breakfast - as the receptionist informed me when I arrived at the hotel!). The next morning, I returned to the desk of Air Canada and asked from them to pay for me the hotel, the bus and the food. They told me that of course I deserve a refund as the arrival time was had less than one hour in order to catch my next flight, but they couldn't pay for me at the desk and that I must communicate with the customer care, when I returned to Athens. They also mention to me that I must send them the receipt from the hotel. But when I asked from the hotel to give me a receipt, they refused to me, mentioned that a travel agent had been paid and not the hotel.

Anyway, the most remarkable thing was again the rudeness and the ironic way that the woman in the desk used to speak to me. I was so angry that I told her that I am going to call my lawyer as soon as I return to Athens. She didn't respect my difficulties during all these hours and even she didn't respect my anxiety for the meeting that I lost. No need to mention, the money that paid for all these telephones from England to Greece, in order to apologized for the meeting cancellation and in order to try to find another day to rearrange the meeting - fact that finally was not possible! Once again, I returned to the Aegean desk, where the man there promised me to find what happened with the receipt of the hotel and to send it to me by e-mail in order to take my money from you. Fact that he did almost immediately!!!

Finally I arrived back to Athens, after almost 2 days! I was really tired and hungry as I haven't the opportunity to sleep or to eat because of your delay that seems to have no matter for you! On the other hand, I was obliged to carry my baggage from the airport to the hotel and back, using a bus that I was waiting in the cold for 30 min. My suitcase arrived in Athens one day later than me! Once again for the history, when I returned back to Athens, the flight of Aegean has a delay of 5 min. In order to help the passengers that had a transfer flights, they announced 3 times on the plane that ambassadors of the company would waiting for the passengers to help them to catch their flight. And as you know the airport of Athens is really smaller than Heathrow! So, you must probably can learn something from this!

After waiting almost 2 months, I received an e-mail from Air Canada with the following text! ".... As a goodwill gesture and exception a one-time discount of 25% off the base fare on my next booking at aircanada.com..." and "... This discount offer is valid for one year from the day of your response..." But the better is! "... Some of our previously discounted fares, while not eligible for the promotion, may be lower than the final price of the undiscounted fare to which the promotion applies..."!!! I wrote to them for a 3rd time, but they still refused to pay me back my expenses in London. The worst thing of all this story is the rude and ironic way that all the employees of Air Canada talked to me and of course their written answer that makes me feel the "most stupid consumer of the world" because Air Canada believes that I am from its "goodwill gesture" in order to get rid of me!!! P.S. Sorry for my English...

Xiaoyu of Jersey City, NJ on

Delayed flight? Okay it happens but how hard is it to give me a notice? They then rescheduled my flight to next morning which cause Custom issues with Canada. I literally have to guide them through how to rebook my flight. Their representatives are not patient and would hang up my phone call. At last, both of my luggage bags were lost... Air Canada sucks!

Pejman of Santa Monica, CA on

We have been with multiple international airlines and Air Canada by far was the worst experience we have ever had. The experience started with a infant bassinet that never came. A polite inquiry to the airline stewards was met with them literally ignoring and walking away from us. I finally had to find the head steward to address this. The entire flight, they ignored the call lights if we needed anything for our infant. We arrived and one of our bags was missing. Long story short, at the end of our trip, one week later, still not even a call about the missing luggage. Over 15 calls to their baggage claims department was only met with false promises and over three promises for call backs which never happened. Avoid them if at all possible.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Air Canada?

Teri of Ajax, ON on

For the past 3 1/2 months I have been checking online on Air Canada's Website for a "sale" price on Premium Economy round trip Toronto, Ontario to Sydney, Australia. The price has been $4123 or $4124 each time I have checked. Today, I got an e-mail from Air Canada announcing "sale prices" on Premium Economy (specific destinations/dates). The "sale" price is EXACTLY the same. I spoke to reservations at Air Canada (30 minute hold on the phone of course) to be told that there is nothing that they can do, the price is this price. SHAME ON Air Canada.

nahed of Calgary, AB on

Worst airline, worst service ever. Flight attendant are rude, snobby, and not friendly at all. No food for a long flight, except for porches, even though the flight was delayed for three hours after passengers are being on board. Stuck and stranded in the aircraft for that long. I will never ever in my life travel with AIR CANADA or recommend it to anyone.

Ranjit of Brampton, ON on

I took non-stop flight from Toronto to New Delhi India on May 30th 2017. The food they served was yucky with no taste. I ate non-veg but my co-passenger was a vegetarian, he also had the same rice with few pieces of vegetables. For breakfast, they gave low quality, 2 samosas wrapped in a paper bag. I returned on Jun 6th 2017, they did not have the vegetarian food. All the vegetarians were asking for food. The worst food experience.

Atul of Alpharetta, GA on

I have booked ticket from Air Canada looking at ticket cost on their website and talking to their booking agent. I had to call them because website was having some issue completing the booking and I was asked to call their booking dept. My booking ref # **. I called them and was told that they will definitely honor the website cost and I was on phone with them for 20 min but they could not complete my booking. So I was told I will get call from ticketing dept. to complete the booking. I received the call and completed the booking. Cost on website was $2929.42 and I was charged $3456.42. I was using Air Canada website (not any agency) and talking to Air Canada booking agent so I don't understand why I have been charged extra. I should get $527 back. I have attached my ticket receipt. I hope you can help me.

Sheila of Brockville, ON on

Booked a trip via Air Canada to visit my son who is in the Air Force. The dates need to be changed as he is being sent out for 6 weeks on a training course. Cancellation bought and paid for. Will not accept this explanation and Air Canada wants to increase the price of my ticket plus charge $200 per person to take 5 minutes on the computer and switch dates for me. What the hell is wrong with our airlines anymore. Since when has a military explanation with backup documentation been unacceptable. Whatever happened to common courtesy and friendly staff who want to make your trip an adventure instead of a failed expense. Anyone know of anyone I could contact to try and deal with this situation?

Candice Lorraine of Elmhurst, NY on

Today, on June 10, 2017, my aunt and I are scheduled for travel back to the US from Edmonton, Alberta. From all the travels I have made overseas including past travels to and from Toronto, never have I experienced: Check In Counter -- Issues with my passport name and USGC, Boarding Gate -- No seat assignment or zone assignment for boarding until the last minute (we booked tickets 2 months prior to our trip!!!), On Plane -- Moving hand carried luggage by flight attendant without asking if it's ok just to accommodate another passenger (What, her tickets were more expensive than mine?!) I wonder what other unpleasantries await for this flight and the next. I didn't want to put even 1 single star -- worst travel experience ever with Air Canada 176 in my entire life.

Javier of Seoul, Other on

I got to the check-in desk ~90 minutes before departure, and dropped my bag ~70 minutes before flight departure (Toronto airport) but missed my flight to US due to long time to pass security and customs (systems were apparently down and neither Air Canada nor security staff gave priority to passengers with flights departing earlier).

Despite asking for help to Air Canada staff and airport security, nobody cared, so by the time I made it to the gate the flight had departed. Adding insult to injury, Air Canada charged me for getting in the next flight, blaming it on me. The staff was rude and lacked all sort of empathy, in particular the manager. Mrs. **. I'm still trying to get the fee refunded and some kind of compensation and apology, but the process takes apparently 30 days.

Jane of Jamaica, NY on

I had flown from NYC to Montreal for a bike festival. The airline tickets were originally purchased from United Airlines, which was reselling Air Canada flights. The flight to Montreal was fine but the flight back was an utter nightmare. It started when I arrived over an hour early for my flight. I went to the kiosks to scan my passport and the computer said that my information could not be found.

Next I got online at the United counter. Since I have a United MileagePlus account I figured they may be more helpful. The woman at the counter smiled and said she doesn't know anything about my flight because she is part of United Airlines and that I would need to go to Air Canada (thanks for the great customer service, United. I knew there was another reason why I canceled your MileagePlus Explorer visa card besides the fact that your airport security goons enjoy giving passengers bloody noses and hauling them off your planes like pigs going to slaughter).

I get in the queue for Air Canada. It is short with only 3 people (a family) in front of me. The family goes to the counter and the clerk is as slow as molasses and just keeps talking. The priority boarding line is also busy, so no chance of checking in there. 20 minutes pass and I am very nervous about missing the flight. Another 10 people have lined up behind me. I finally interrupt the clerk who won't stop yapping to tell her that I've been waiting for more than 20 minutes to check in and that my flight is at 7 pm. The crazy ** had the nerve to say to me "You're too late. You're not going to make it to your flight." I tell her that the malfunctioning kiosk and her slowness is causing me to be late. "Go to another counter to check in", she says. I nearly lost it.

I would not be this late if she hadn't spent so much time on one customer, if another counter had been open, if Air Canada's kiosks were working, and if the United desk had been more helpful. I hurry to the priority boarding line and that woman at the counter immediately finishes with the family of three and helps the people who were behind me on the line. Meanwhile I am still waiting behind another person on the priority queue. I finally lost my cool and kicked the cord post barrier that separates the queue with my bad foot with the fractured toe. Ouch.

Finally a counter is available and the idiotic man tells me there is no way I'll be able to make it to my 7 pm flight. Then I tell him how lousy customer service at Air Canada caused the delays and that the ** service from the woman at the other counter is responsible for making me miss my flight. He says nothing, gets on the phone, calls the people at the boarding gate and tells me to hurry to the gate. The gate is conveniently located at the extreme end of one wing of the departures building.

I hurry through customs and an immigration officer actually tells me not to fly with Air Canada; it's run like a Communist enterprise. The Canadian government requires that 40% of flights from Canada must be provided by Canadian airlines. Given that there's so few choices Air Canada doesn't care about customer service because it will always have business. The officer said to fly Delta instead. It's a sad day when a customs/immigration officer tells you not to fly with any airlines from his own country.

Sadly, the nightmare doesn't end here. The flight ends up being delayed due to thunderstorms in upstate New York. The gate changes to the other extreme end of the departures building (it takes 20 minutes to walk there with luggage). We sit on the runway for 2 hours and after the pilot gets clearance for take-off the plane has to be re-routed west to avoid the thunderstorm. The turbulence was violent, it felt like the plane was being driven over a road full of boulders and we were getting blown off course.

The passengers were dead silent and the shaking and falling sensation was so bad the airline staff couldn't even serve drinks or bring us snacks. I prayed that we wouldn't have a freak accident and crash into the Catskills. This was easily the most horrific airline experience I have ever had. I will never fly with a Canadian airline ever again. Some things are not meant to be run like a government-owned socialist enterprise. Airline companies top that list.

LOUBNA of Palm Harbor, FL on

The airplane I have taken with my two children was old and disgusting. No TV screens for a long flight of over 6.5 hours. The food was so cheap and nasty. Rice and pasta in one meal with no vegetables. That was my first time to fly with Air Canada and it will be my last time. VERY DISAPPOINTED!!!

Andrew of San Francisco, CA on

I flew from San Francisco to Kamloops (first leg first class) for snowboarding trip I have been saving years for. My snowboard bag did not arrive, and I was assured by Air Canada staff at Kamloops it would arrive on a later flight, and they would courier it to Mike Wiegele at Blue River. It had not arrived by the evening so I called Air Canada, was transferred around for an hour until I got ground staff at Kamloops who assured me the bag would be couriered at 5 am the next day. I did not receive the bags the next day and called again, spending more time transferred on the phone instead of enjoying my ski vacation. I finally got to 'Ryan' (who would not give his last name) working for Air Canada at Kamloops who put me on hold for 20 minutes as said he 'was checking other passengers in'. When I hung up and called back explaining I needed this bag urgently, he said he was still checking people in.

I informed him I was a paying customer who had his bags lost by Air Canada and this was unacceptable. Ryan's response was, 'there are only 2 people in the world who care about your bags, you and me and I'm losing my patience.' What an absolutely disgusting response, with no regard for the customer whatsoever.

Obviously my bag did not arrive and I had to rent subpar used snowboard gear. I could not rent a helmet and goggles which cost me $521.34. My bag arrived 48 hours after it was due. On my departure through Kamloops, I asked the Air Canada gentlemen if he was Ryan- (he was not wearing a nametag) to which he responded, 'yes, did you get your bags?' I advised him they showed up 48 hours later to which he responded: 'I was trying to help you however you were jabbering away on the phone.' This was in front of a packed line to get on the plane, and the shocked looks on people's faces to his response said it all.

I have never experienced like it (not even on United!). So not only was my bag lost, I experienced the worst customer service in my life and was treated as though it was my fault when I was just trying to get my bag back. By not giving his last name and not wearing a tag, I can only assume he treats everyone like this and gets away with it. I would like a refund for my flight as well as a reimbursement for my unnecessary expenditure on goggles and helmet so I could snowboard that day. I do not want a credit as after that experience, I am not sure I will ever fly Air Canada again. I can send you the receipt for the goggles and helmet on request.

Eugene of Montreal, QC on

On May 2, 2017, our flight AC 7722 from San Antonio to Toronto was delayed for over 4 hours (actually it took off and came back to San Antonio, because of our crew’s concern about some noise in the rear of the plane), but we have no complaints about the delay itself. The decision by the captain to return to San Antonio for the plain check-up and, if necessary, maintenance and repair, was a commendable one. Safety, no doubt, goes first. Nevertheless, as a result, we missed our connection flights from Toronto and were stranded there over the night.

In San Antonio, AC people, at least, apologized for the delay and tried to keep us updated on the situation. We also received a voucher from AC worth 10$US to spend on food. However, AC provided us with no information of how the missed connections would be handled. All its representative in San Antonio told us was that we “…would be taken a good care of…” by her colleagues in Toronto.

Now let us briefly describe the “care” we actually received. On arrival to Toronto (soon after midnight): Not a single word of apology for a 4-hour delay and, more importantly, to those passengers who missed their connections because of this delay. At the plane, we received from the flight attendant the same routine: “…go to see AC representatives, they will take care of everything…” These representatives handed out voucher-like coupons promising an unspecified discount (only applicable to the “undiscounted published fairs”) on our future flight with the AC (if we register online, etc.), which would expire in a year if not used. Again, not a single word of apology or regret: “…proceed to the connection desk…” No information of what possibly to expect there either.

There was a line at the connection desk and only two AC customer representatives. Just from our flight, there were at least 14 people who missed their connection flights – either to Ottawa or Montreal (counting those who came before us on other delayed flights – something like 20-25 passengers, all together). After about 10-15 minutes of waiting, suddenly there were 4-5 additional AC representatives who began distributing new boarding passes – very routinely, no apology, naturally. On contrary, when passengers started asking questions about how they are now supposed to spend the whole night before the new flight, AC representatives became angry and agitated blaming passengers for interrupting their work.

In response to our request for a manager, a person who introduced himself as Nathan ** appeared to provide the following information: passengers in our situation, according to AC regulations, are entitled to one thing only – rebooking for the next earliest flight; AC cannot provide us with any hotel accommodation, but if we manage to find one on our own, we could then submit a request to AC for a compensation up to 100$ CA (no guarantees it would be satisfied); Pearson International Airport is currently under construction and no lounge except for the “sleep-on-the-floor” (blankets in a big box at the entry are generously provided) in “area 15” is available; there is nothing else can be done for us, and he considers his job fulfilled, as all necessary information was delivered to us.

Actually, this “message” Mr. ** later repeated for the record (after about 20-30 minutes of rather heated conversation, as all passengers were really frustrated by the “treatment” AC offered to us). By the way, again, not a single word of apology, just the same statement repeated over and over with no adjustment to our different questions and arguments: “…I understand you, but there is nothing I can do for you. Complain, if you want, it’s your right to complain, I am OK with it…” This recorded statement is available. However, when at the end asked if he spoke on behalf of AC, Mr. ** suddenly responded that he was speaking only for himself. His response to the obvious follow-up question “why then he was wearing the AC badge” was absolute silence, clearly captured on the record too.

Mr. ** also refused to escalate our concerns to any of his superiors. After several requests from the passengers to, at least, provide the name of his direct supervisor, he told us it could not be done without this person’s permission and that he would call himself asking for that. Supposedly (we couldn’t hear the person to whom Mr. ** spoke), such permission was given. But Mr. ** only gave us his supervisor’s first name Kevin and the first letter of his family name ** – i.e., either he violated his supervisor’s permission to disclose this information or simply misled us when acknowledged receiving this permission in the first place. Needless to say, no contact information was given either: “…contact our customer services online…” Mr. ** also rejected our request to provide any written statement or show us a document that would outline and explain AC regulations under the circumstances: “…go to our web-site…”

All this time his colleagues (with the exception of one or, maybe, two who did not participate in the conversation) were quite rude with all of us, especially a woman, who was extremely confrontational and then even refused to give us her name. Pictures of how glorious Pearson International looks like at night (attached) are very telling. Aren’t they? There is a side question to the airport administration – what prevents it from providing more comfortable seats in much higher numbers – judging from the abundance of bodies of people sleeping on the floor, there would be enough room (that is floor surface, of course) to install them?

Also there, we were not actually surprised much to find out that our situation paled in comparison with that of some people who, thanks to AC, missed their cross-ocean flights to Europe and found themselves on the very same floor of the hospitable “lounge in area 15”. Should it be mentioned that the entertainment system on AC7722 stopped working after 25-30 minutes of the flight, and the crew did not bother with any attempt to fix or, at least, to explain the problem and apologize for it? Probably, not – indeed, in comparison with what is described above it is really close to nothing.

Ruined plans, worries of friends and families, unattended business meetings, lost time, simply discomfort, both physical (from sleepless or spent on-the-floor night) and moral (when your service provider makes it clear that you are just expected to gratefully overspend on overbooked flights and be happy and quiet not to provoke company people to call up security to dump you from the plane, as it recently happened with the United) – all these things, apparently, are not even considered, much less covered by the AC policy, are they?

There is no particular request to this message. We already received our portion of frustration and humiliation, in addition to the privilege of sleeping on the floor of Pearson International (welcome to Toronto, everybody). AC will respond according to its understanding of the situation and its own set of rules and regulations that, at least, recognise our “right to complain.” We just would like to make information about this our misadventure known to as many people (who may still maintain illusions about our great Canadian air-company) as possible.

Gordon of Napanee, ON on

Air Canada cancelled our flight the morning we were to leave Kingston Ontario for Toronto. We were told from an Air Canada rep that they were not letting small planes taxi at Pearson airport, so we had to drive 3 hrs. to Toronto. Now we have to pay 120 dollars for parking and 50 dollars for gas, because Air Canada cancelled our flight. On top of this when we got to Cuba the pilot informed all of the 150 passengers that we would all have to pay 110 dollars each for the visas to enter Cuba. That's 16,500 dollars total that we all put out because Air Canada did not have the visas. I was offered 25% off on my next bass flight. That is a slap in the face for what we are out.

Guy of Mars, PA on

ON MAY 9, 2017 AIR CANADA TREATED US LIKE DIRT!!! NO SYMPATHY FOR MY WIFE SUFFERING WITH MS!!! I paid over $5500 for 4 seats and the Plane arrived 45 minutes late to gate for flight from Pittsburgh to Toronto, then they said there were electrical issues and waiting 55 minutes for that flight. Asked agent to get us on another flight after plane was 30 minutes late so we could make our connection to Heathrow England as we had family drive over 3 hours and taking a day off work to get us at the airport, he said we would be able to make the connection.

After halfway into the flight we ask the flight attendant to call ahead and she said they already filled our seat to Heathrow. A lady on our flight just had carry on luggage and she made it to our gate while it was still boarding but they said she wasn't allowed d since her seat was sold to someone else, that is bull crap!!! Then I found out that the airline decided to refund me the money I spent on bulkhead seats so wife could stretch her legs easier and it was closer to the toilets and put us to the back of the plane. My with MS was so stressed she had her 1st relapse in months and her brother had to take the next day off work also to get us and then had to work on the weekend instead of sightseeing with us. Not to mention all the problems it caused with the reservations we had with other family in England.

We got to the hotel at 2:15am and had to be on a shuttle back by 6am. Then we got on the flight to Heathrow and the flight attendant said that there were no pilots schedule for the flight due to management. We waited 45 minutes, the pilots got on the plane and then came on the speaker 25 minutes later saying that could start the engines and it would take about 20 minutes to go through the process a 2nd time, and if that didn't work we would need a jumpstart from the airport. What the hell something you don't want to hear flying across the ocean for 7 hours at 40000 feet.

My wife and daughter were already worked up before this. Air Canada wanted to give me 25% of the purchase of 4 tickets within a year, what a joke like I am going to give them more of my $. They ruined half of our 2 week vacation so I asked for 1/2 my money back, they said they couldn't do that but send them the receipt of bills occurred due to them, how am I supposed to get receipts of reservations and family plans we delayed and missed out on. AIR CANADA IS JOKE and I will go to my grave telling everyone and getting on as many sites as possible to help others how THEY RUINED OUR VACATION VISITING MY WIFE PARENT'S, FAMILY, AND FRIENDS!!!

michael of Paarl, Other on

Air Canada simply cancelled my flight with no apparent reason and refused to offer any help for alternative arrangements. I had a connecting flight in New York as well as prepaid hotel accommodation. When they cancelled my flight on 5 May 2017 from Montreal to New York, the customer service ladies refused to help in any way. As a foreigner in a foreign city like Montreal, this was totally unacceptable.

Ruth of Toronto, ON on

For $1000 Cdn, AC offered to step up status from 35k to 50k. There are no advantages to doing this and the money is non refundable. You still board in zone 2 and you have no greater access to upgrades. For over 7 years I have been 35k status and still can't get upgraded even though I fly close to 40 times a year. It's a waste of money - not worth it. Shame on AC!

william of Beechmont, NS on

This is the second time in two months I checked in for an Air Canada flight and had an uncomfortable experience. As soon as I gave the agent my passport to check in they said "Just wait, we need to make a phone call." They asked a few more questions while on the phone (to who, I have no idea?), swiped my passport a few times, verified some more information and then said "OK your good to go." "Beg pardon? Please explain, am I in some sort of trouble?" They said "No your good to go have a nice flight." Why do they refuse to tell me what is going on? I have been travelling every month for 18 years now. It is quite embarrassing too, makes me feel like I am on some no fly list, or something similar. Can't believe how rude they were to me both times, while I am very quiet and understanding being treated like an escaped convict. Anyone else have a similar experience? Need to keep digging now until I can find out more information.

Murray of Montreal, Quebec on

Air Canada is okay. They nickel and dime, charge for luggage and likely still have the fuel surcharge!! I would fly with them again but would look for a deal.

Alice of Calgary, AB on

April 22nd, 2017 flight from Calgary to Toronto. I have my cat with me in the cabin so I had to check in with a desk agent to get my boarding pass and also check in my small carry-on suitcase. The desk agent took suspiciously longer than she should to print my baggage tag and when she noticed my annoyance, she said she wanted to make sure all is correct. She then proceed to put the tag on my luggage and gave me my boarding pass and baggage slip and told me where to drop off the luggage. I quickly look for security gate and proceed to my gate.

Upon boarding, it was only at the gate agent when I showed her my boarding pass did I realize the baggage slip says it's going to Winnipeg. Panicked, I asked the gate agent if my luggage was sent to Winnipeg and the gate agent checked on the system that the sticker was not mine and gave me my actual baggage number. I asked her if they had send my bag to Winnipeg on another flight already cause I need my luggage. Gate agent assured me that the desk agent probably just put the wrong sticker on my ticket and that I will get my luggage at my destination in Toronto but "hold on to the baggage number in case it didn't show up". I supposed the gate agent didn't dig deeper cause she wanted the flight to take off on time which I get. When I reached my destination, my sinking feeling was confirmed when my luggage didn't show up. I filed for a delayed baggage report and the agent there couldn't locate my bag at all.

Luckily, 2 days later it arrived at my doorstep. Upon checking my luggage to make sure nothing was stolen, I saw the baggage slip that the desk agent had put on and it was indeed going to Winnipeg. HOW DOES AN AGENT PRINT ANOTHER PASSENGER'S BAGGAGE SLIP AND PUT IT IN MY LUGGAGE??? AND CHARGE ME THE CHECK-IN FEE FOR THIS??? I don't mind paying the fee as long as it gets to my destination but I don't feel right about being charged to have my bag purposely sent to Winnipeg! I swear she spent all that time looking up which flight to sent it to to have minimal damage (time-wise). I read that AC purposely "delay" baggage for various reasons but this has gone too far. I will never fly with Air Canada again. I have Aeroplan but I guess I won't use that on any domestic flight. Porter and WestJet is the only other options.

Noreen of Bobcaygeon, ON on

Rudest agent ever spoken to. Was booking my seat and had to listen to him reprimand me for not choosing a seat at booking time. Angrily said, "Why did you wait until now." To top it off the flight attendants are sullen and bordering on hostile. Will NEVER fly AC again.

Susan of Coquitlam, BC on

This is about the handling of Air Canada flight AC 8669 from San Diego to Vancouver on April 11 2017. I have not flown in 35 years. This was a very special trip for me. Now that I am 65 years old I would like to take a trip or two. I thought about going to South Africa but that's too far, too expensive and I would need shots. I thought going to San Diego's Safari Park would be a good compromise. I was also going to be traveling alone. I was excited, nervous and scared for these reasons. I got to see all that I wanted to see. This was like a dream come true to see all those exotic animals.

However, the flight coming home was a nightmare. I was at the San Diego airport at 10:30 am. Two hours before my flight at 12:30. The flight I was scheduled to be on was AC 8669 San Diego to Vancouver. After about 4 1/2 hours of waiting past the scheduled time of leaving we were all told the flight was canceled due to mechanical problems. Air Canada even tried flying in a part, I heard, but even that plane had trouble.

It wasn't until 9:30 pm that I was shuttled to the LA airport. That's eleven hours of waiting. All that time I am trying to be patient. Different people were being told different information about what was happening. Different people were getting different emails that they were booked on a Saturday flight, a Wednesday flight. Yet the Air Canada rep was saying "no just stay here." Total confusion. I don't have a cell phone so I was getting worried. Then, I remembered I have an iPod and I checked that and I got an email stating I'm scheduled to leave at 5:30 pm. Which, looking at my watch had already gone by 2 minutes ago. I understand that it would be a complex problem to solve. Flights to be rescheduled on Air Canada. Connecting flights to be rescheduled. Hotel rooms to be booked. But it is very obvious that Air Canada does not have a good protocol for canceled flights.

It takes another two hours to shuttle some of us to the LA airport in a hot small van. We were told somebody would be there to give us hotel rooms and confirm that we were either booked on the 7:00 am or 12:00 noon flight out of LA. We get there and there is nobody there to help us. It is now 11:45 pm and we are walking up and down the terminal trying to find somebody. We are tired and very angry. That is absolutely terrible treatment of your customers. Two customers were using their cell phones to talk to Air Canada. They were told nothing could be done. They were told "Find your own hotel (under a hundred dollars) and submit the receipt to Air Canada." That's ridiculous. 1:00 in the morning and we are to find our own hotel for a hundred dollars in a strange city. What kind of treatment is that?

Finally, 2 Air Canada employees show up to help us. The one told us that they were told we might be coming! What, they didn't know! I was assuming that Air Canada at the San Diego airport was arranging all this. That's why we were waiting so long!! I didn't get to the hotel in LA until 1:20 am. From 10:30 am Tues. morning to 1:20 am Wed. morning. That's what 15 hours. Even worse, I'm in the lobby of the hotel at 1:45 am and I see 3 of the people from that plane were rejected from the hotel because they ran out of rooms. The Air Canada employees at the LA airport were supposed to have booked those rooms. Can you imagine how they felt after all that they went through. That is terrible treatment.

There were parents with very young children booked on that flight. Some women were even breastfeeding. I think some of them got to go directly to the hotel in LA rather than to the airport to get vouchers. I'm hoping Air Canada treated them better. There was an older woman who had been to Mexico for an operation and lived quite a distance from Prince George. She needed a wheelchair and she had to go through all that the rest of us went through.

There was a young woman who just lost her grandfather whom she was close to. She was very close to tears when she told us why she was on the plane. I could see when we got to the LA airport that she looked like she felt defeated. There was a couple with a daughter that had only 4 days off from school to vacation and now 2 of those days are gone. And myself. This is the first time I have flown in 35 years and I am not young. I was so tired that Wed morning I spilled coffee all over my brand new suitcase and my brand new expensive running shoes that I had bought for all that walking I was going to be doing.

Narcisa of Dunrobin, ON on

Well, I have made a reservation on April the 11th to flight to the Dom Rep. after careful verification I noticed that I will have to stay in Toronto for an overnight, so I called back to cancel... No problem. They did canceled the reservation and told me that I was going to be refunded on the 12 of April. Then on the 12th I realized that they have NOT cancel my travel insurance and NOT advise me that I have to cancel it myself. Today is the 13th but, no money back yet, so I called and I was told that it might take up a month even more because I paid with my Debit card. It takes them less than a minute to take MY money and I have to wait so long to get MY money back and the completed the whole in 3 transaction on my account. It is ridiculous.

adriano of Straford, ON on

I've been on my vacation for 3 days and it was only a 4 day weekend trip. Spent two of the days on the phone waiting, listening to Air Canada music as I was trying to get in touch with somebody in regards to my delayed bag that came a day late. Made me miss my scuba trip. And then when it did arrive the suitcase was cracked and damaged and also seems like somebody had some sticky fingers and took something out of it which then ruined my scuba trip. Talk to Moses at the Mexican airport who is an Air Canada representative. I asked him if I should be contacting the police and making a report. He said no. Then when I called the Air Canada head office they said why didn't I make a police report. Really feel that their company is very negligent to their customers especially after I paid an extra $800 upgrade fee for first class.

Still nothing is resolved and they want me to wait 25 days for someone to call me back after somebody on their end stole something, go to my bag and damaged my bag when if it was there the same time as arrival is me none of these issues would have happened. The people that I dealt with that I felt were very negligent or a manager named Tracy at head office. Also another supervisor name Sharon who lied to me and said she would call me back in an hour and it's now been 23 hours later. Just don't really feel that they care about their customers. I have her employee number but I don't really want to wait on the phone for another three hours to talk to somebody that's going to accidentally hang up on you. I would not recommend this company to anybody and this was me flying first class.

Suzie of North Quincy, MA on

On November 25, I was denied boarding a flight from Boston to Toronto to Beijing. I was not given any compensation. They stole my money! I had an onward ticket with China Eastern to New Zealand. When I tried to board the plane, I was told I needed a Chinese visa. This was not true. China has different rules people can use to avoid paying the $140 for a visa. I had followed the 24-hour rule for transit without a visa (TWOV).

I couldn't believe they could sell me a ticket to Beijing and then not know the rules for travel. They are so afraid of getting in trouble with allowing the wrong people on a flight that they have no sense of fairness. I went to small claim court for treble damages. I lost the case. They sent a lawyer. I had to buy a last minute ticket for over $2000 to travel the next day. AIR CANADA IS BREAKING THE LAW and getting away with it. Please, never travel on Air Canada, at least with my itinerary.

Ted of Kleinburg, ON on

Rude, arrogant, very bad food and most importantly unable to speak to anyone on the phone. 23 years of being a customer, 50 to 75,000 miles per year, 650,000 mile lifetime membership, unable to utilize my upgrade certificates. Can't talk to anyone. Nobody returns or emails. Customer service does not even respond.

Melissa of Port Coquitlam, BC on

Do not fly, even for free! I got bumped off an overbooked flight, and was given a voucher to use for future travel. When I tried to actually use it, the reps told me to book the flight, then they would refund the voucher, which I did. When I called to get the refund, they said I should have called first to book so they could apply the credit, which I had just done, and then they said I would have to wait until after I travel (2 months down the road) before I could even apply to use the credit, even though they admitted they made the mistake in telling me to book first. 10-20 emails were sent to deal with this, dozens of phone calls by uncaring staff who brushed me aside.

Finally I finished travel and asked for the money back, they sent me to some web form, which said it would take a minimum of 3 weeks for anyone to even look at the refund, let alone actually credit it, so I get to pay credit card interest while Air Canada wastes my time. 5 complaints lodged, another 6 emails, and still no response other than "we will get to your email eventually".

Air Canada Company Profile