1.07/5
Based on 68 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Air Canada

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 8, 2018

332 Air Canada Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

How is it possible that Air Canada and Calgary airport are surprised by the snow on the 8 Feb. 2 hours waiting to get de iced, then we are out of fuel and need to return to terminal and go through the whole process again! Seriously - snow in Calgary and Canada, is this a new thing now?

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

Flying Air Canada on Feb. 4th at 5pm, a stewardess named Jackilou on flight AC7736. A customer on seat 21C was refused medical attention, she advised the stewardess that she had a medical issue, the stewardess who has no medical doctor training refused a customer medical assistance and advised customer she can wait until the pilot called personnel to allow her medication intake. The customer advised she cannot wait, and the stewardess made a medical decision for the client without advising a medical doctor or EMS on the situation, and wouldn't let her off the grounded delayed plane. This is illegal. They do not have the authority to refuse a customer's medication when on a delayed flight that hasn't taken off yet, and will not be within 1 hrs.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

We booked ticket for 23 month old. We got a separate seat for him as we can travel comfortably. While checking in at the airport the Air Canada employee tells us that we need to have a full car seat otherwise we cannot board a flight. All other employees were not sure about it and we never heard of any such incidence. We had our relatives who have travelled with 1 year old, 6 months old, without any car seat. If it was required it was provided by the airlines itself. We had to rush to nearby Walmart.

She wanted full car seat and it has to be carried by us all the time, while changing fights, while waiting. We got so tired by the time we reached our destination. It took us about 5 days to get over dehydration and tiredness because of the experience. We also missed our connecting flight because of delay because of weather. We were not offered any food coupons. The experience was way worse than I am able to explain. I want Air Canada to have proper written regulations whether car seat is required and if required what age group and who is suppose to provide it and how to carry it along. And all this information be easily available for agents and customers.

On their website. My biggest issue with the employee was not even once she tried to resolve it without causing us harassment. She never took the onus of this problem on airline as if she knew that customers' hassle is not airlines issue and there is nothing we can do. I felt so helpless as if there is no accountability of such an experience.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

Our flight was cancelled last minute at the gate and were told to go to the customer service desk. However, upon arriving there, we were told to just go retrieve our luggage because the agents would not be able to help us and that we would have to call their customer service line to reschedule our flight. We were then given a card with a phone # to call to book another flight and to also book a hotel at a discount. However, upon calling the phone agent, we were told that because the cancellation was not their fault, they could not provide accommodations, even at a discount. We were also told that there would not be another direct flight out until 2 days later, although upon checking the internet, we saw that there were many other direct flights for the next day, with other airlines.

The phone agent then told us that they could not book us a flight with another airline, and that we would have to go back to the airport and speak to the desk agent. All the agents gave us different information and seemed clueless, uncaring, and incapable! Because of this airline's stupidity, we all lost out on a day's pay and had to drive down from Toronto to Newark so that we wouldn't miss out on another day's pay. Upon arriving back home, we found out that a friend also went through a similar experience previously with this airline. NEVER take AIR CANADA!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

On Friday, September 1st, I purchased a last minute ticket from Air Canada as I received that call no-one ever wants to get: "Your dad may not make it through the night". Unfortunately as it was last minute the only seat left was a business class ticket, and it wasn't cheap (especially on a student's bill). Needless to say, it was imperative I get home. Ticket purchased from Newark to Toronto for 9:30 pm but to my surprise I'd been bumped to the 6:30 flight.

I boarded the airplane, buckled up and once everyone was on board, a AC employee came to my seat, asked for my ticket and announced that I had purchased a fraudulent ticket (he was the same person who checked me in). He announced this not quietly, or discretely, but proudly as if he'd caught a thief. Knowing that this was an error, I regretfully got off the plane, embarrassed but determined to resolve this quickly. Walking down the gangplank I asked him what I should do, or who to talk to and he ignored me. At the gate, he walked off, leaving me there. No words. I went to the AC desk and asked another employee to help me out and he said he was too busy. There was no-one at the desk, just me.

I asked for a manager and he said, "They're around here somewhere". Running around the terminal I finally found a group of managers at another gate. I told them what happened and just then the person who ejected me from the flight appeared. I pointed him out to the managers and they shook their heads and stated there was nothing they could do. The person who embarrassed me refused to give me his name, and started screaming like a child saying something about "it was his right to do what he did, and not have to give his name".

The whole terminal was staring. My flight is now leaving. On inspection, the manager realized that due to the fact that I paid with my visa card, it was policy to show the card at check-in to verify (not that my passport was enough). Because of this policy, and this employees inability to simply ask for my card to verify my identity, I flew home on the 9:30 flight. My father's last lucid moments were Friday evening at 9:30. He fell into a coma and passed soon after. I never received an apology from anyone personally, though I did receive a email offering 15% discount on my next flight. I responded to the email asking to talk to someone and I have never been contacted again. Air Canada, 2007 company of the year.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Air Canada?

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

I don't know how many times this happened. Too many to remember; my flight was delayed for 2 hours without apparent reason. I was certain to miss my connection and be stranded half-way towards my destination. There was no agent at the gate, nor any local customer service. I called customer service. I needed to arrange ground transportation because it was imperative for me to be there early in the morning. The agent was more than useless; could not find an alternate flight, could not guarantee compensation, could not even provide me with an estimate of the refund I would obtain for not taking the second leg of my trip.

Further, she would not provide me her name and/or agent number; in other words, a deliberate lack of responsibility and accountability. She pointed me towards a web portal to discuss refund and compensation. I have to do this by e-mail! How long is this going to take? What if I'm unsatisfied with the refund? Unfortunately, this is typical behavior from Air Canada. I've flown airlines in 3rd world countries and they had better service. I often said I would never fly them again. The difficulty is that they have a quasi-monopoly, especially in the East. I think this time is for real though.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

We had one connection in Montreal after 14 hours fly from Shanghai to Newark, NJ on Dec. 3, 2017. When we finished passport control, and rushed to the gate, the airlines announced a no time estimated delay to our next destination EWR without any reason. I had to go to work next morning, got home almost 2 am. The flight supposed to land in EWR at 9:31 pm. Will never take it again.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017 We flew from Chicago, IL to Copenhagen, Denmark in August. Slight damage to NEW suitcase on way there... MAJOR damage to suitcase on Aug 14 upon return. I have filled out forms on Aug 16 (2 days after return). I have called, sent emails, photos with last response from Air Canada on Oct 8, 2017 as follows:

"We are sorry we are taking longer than normal to get back to our customers. We have received your initial message and a representative will respond to you as quickly as we can.We appreciate your patience and understanding as we handle our files in date order received. Sincerely, Air Canada Baggage Claims." No further response from them since. They are terrible airline for Customer service. NEVER EVER use them again

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

I traveled in Air Canada from Philadelphia to Toronto in Air Canada flight 7535 on 15th Nov. When I arrived in Toronto my luggage was missing and after three days I get hold of my luggage and both my suitcases was locked but when I received them there was no lock. They were opened and I saw some of my stuff missing too. It was really a bad experience as we spend thousands of dollars for traveling and we got these **!!! So disappointed. Will never recommend anyone to flight with Air Canada.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

I had the misfortune to travel from Chicago to Toronto on Air Canada Flight Oct 21st, not only did they cancel the flight 2 hours before departure due to lack of crew but was also charged $16,75 and no one can tell me what the charge is for. The ticket number corresponding to the charge is no longer in their system and I am required to fill out a form to request a refund, was told it will take 6-8 weeks for the charges to be reversed, if it is determined that Air Canada charged me in error. I try very hard not to flight on Air Canada, the service is terrible, the people are unfriendly and customer service is non existence. I will pay more to travel with another airline, but unfortunately there are times when I am unable to. Air Canada get a grip, you may follow the inline with Sears Canada if you don't start treating your customers "you pay cheque" with respect. HATE AIR CANADA.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

Was on flight ac 240 first. Found out after booking this couple months ago that they put me and my gf in different seats. When I went to ask about it they were rude and not very helpful. Then when I was getting ready to load my ticket did not tell me what section I was in and again I asked and again had to deal with a person being rude to me. I think their service sucked and people should be accountable for their actions aka fired. If you don't enjoy your job, get another one. Besides those people not working on the plane, everything else was good.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

Closed the check-in gate at a very small airport... The three employees went to assist 4 passengers for 45 minutes to get on the flight while 3 other passengers were told they couldn't help them make the flight!!! Seriously so stupid.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

I was on flight 8106 coming back to Houston, Texas from Calgary on 9/18/17. I was in the very last row and seat. I left a wallet on the floor under my seat. I was THE VERY LAST person off the plane. The only people behind me were the flight attendants. I left my wallet on the floor because mid-flight the attendants moved a man to sit next to my empty seat while I was sleeping, and I couldn't get to my bag to put my wallet up without disturbing him/touching his leg. So I set my wallet on the floor. I know it was there. I even have my debit card history showing I used it in-flight to purchase wifi. I was the last one off the plane, so no one could have picked it up.

I have called the lost and found, and even called the ticket agent at the Houston Air Canada counter. No one has turned it in. I know the wallet was there. So either the cleaners didn't check under the seats (everyone at Air Canada keeps insisting they do check under them), someone was negligent and just threw the wallet to the side without turning it in, or there is a thief working on the cleaning crew. There is one thing I cannot stand with a company and that is theft/dishonesty. If I cannot trust a company, I will not utilize their services. I had money, and several gift cards in my wallet. All I wanted back was my credit cards and my driver's license so I can assure no one steals my identity. I am upset about the unprofessional service of the cleaning crew. This would have been rated 5 stars if it wasn't for this situation. If you find something that isn't yours, turn it in. They seriously need to investigate their cleaning crew in the Houston area.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

On August 25, 2017 I flew out of Halifax International Airport at approximately 2345 on a direct flight to London Heathrow Airport arriving on August 26, 2017 around 0830. Upon clearing customs I arrived at the designated baggage carousel to discover that my single Orange Air Canada brand bag had not arrived. I proceeded right away to the delayed baggage area and spoke to the baggage representative who was helpful. She had me fill out the form where I was assigned the number that would come to haunt me for the remainder of my time on vacation **. The lady at the counter advised me that the luggage was not scanned onto the flight so it HAD to be in Halifax. I agreed with this as it was a direct flight. I provided the lady at the baggage counter the address at the hotel I was staying at and the fact I was only in London for 2 nights.

Later that day I phoned and was advised I must wait at least 24 hours for them to locate my bag and someone would phone. On the 27th I checked online and seen that it said my bag location was still pending. I called back and was informed the same. Again in the evening I phoned and was provided this same information. I updated them that I was leaving London and was going to Fort William, Scotland and supplied them with the address of my hotel there. Upon arrival in Fort William on the 28th I called the Air Canada baggage people who advised that they had a possible match in Halifax (surprise) and that the match was discovered on the 26th (the same day I arrived and the bag was delayed). Why was I not called about the match? Why, when I phoned in on the 27th, was I not told about the match?

I went through the contents of the bag with the phone agent and confirmed that it was mine right down to the fact that there was an unopened grey box of condoms. I explained to the lady that was most certainly my bag and that I was leaving the next morning to travel to Mallaig, Scotland and from there I was travelling to Portree, Scotland to hike for 3 days. I provided the address for the hotel I was staying in there as well. It was explained that the closest airport was in Inverness to both Mallaig and Portree. Upon my arrival in Mallaig on the 29th I again called and yet again was asked to confirm the contents of my bag. It was explained to the worker I had already confirmed that was my bag and that the contents were still the same. I was placed on hold while they called the Halifax Airport.

The worker came back, advised that Halifax had confirmed they had put the bag on a flight to Inverness already and from there the bag would be delivered to me in my hotel in Portree. The worker assured me I would get my bag in Portree. I confirmed they had the proper hotel in Portree. On the 30th I phoned and just confirmed that everything was on track as I realized that the bag would likely need to be taxied to Portree as it is located on the Isle of Skye. On the 31st I phoned and was advised that it appeared they had a "match" for my bag in Halifax. At this point I was beyond fed up and I requested to speak to a supervisor after being told no. Numerous times I was assured a supervisor would phone me between 2-4 hours. I sat around waiting for said call as cell service in the Scottish Highlands is highly suspect.

After 5 hours of waiting I finally called back and requested to speak with a supervisor. After numerous attempts to stonewall me I was finally put on the phone with supervisor Damien (I strongly suspect not his real name given he was in India). Damien refused to provide me with his employee ID number. Damien advised me that upon his review of the notes (after literally telling me there were no notes) that he thinks that my bag was sent to the Central Baggage Depository in Montreal as there was not a confirmed match. Damien stated that is where they send bags after 5 days if no one claims them. I had Damien admit by reading his notes that they found a match on the 26th and I confirmed it on the 28th 2 days after the bag was supposed to arrive. Damien was able to read back all the items from the notes that I confirmed as being mine.

Damien was unable to tell me why I was told that my bag was placed on a plane to Inverness and why I was promised I would have my bag while awaiting in Portree. Damien assured me that he would "escalate" the matter and would find out where my bag was. On the 1st of September I phoned back and spoke to Phoebe who advised me that according to the notes Damien had made he did nothing to aid in my search for the bag. Phoebe came right out and told me she has no "idea" why I was told that my bag was ever in Inverness nor could she tell me how a confirmed bag could "possibly" end up in Montreal. At least Phoebe was honest in saying that they messed up and that I most certainly should have had my bag already.

I have the names of all the workers I have spoken to from the call center. I have now relocated to Glasgow and from here am heading to NS for 12 days. This ordeal has cost me endless hours on the phone and taken away my ability to enjoy my vacation as I have had to be in areas where I can get cell coverage. I have had to forego and miss out on parts of my vacation. I would like my bag located right away. I am no longer dealing with your inept, rude and highly unprofessional Call Center in India. I would like a phone call at ** to discuss this matter further. I have also reached out to CBC to make them aware of the deceit and poor customer service that is being provided in the name of your company.

On Monday September 4th I arrived back in Canada via Halifax airport. I went to the Air Canada Baggage Office and relayed the above information and was advised by the worker they indeed did have my bag. He recalled it sitting in Halifax for 8 days. Confirming my above suspicion that the call center in India never did do anything about my bag. That I was lied to by Air Canada and my bag was never sent to Inverness. The worker confirmed for me that they sent my bag to Montreal to LZ the central baggage area on September 1, 2017. I was assured they would expedite the bag back to me and I would have it in a day or two max. I provided them my phone number yet again so I could update them where I was as I was and am still travelling. I received no call from anyone on Wednesday the 6th. I called the call center and after 4 hours on hold and in conversation I was told they could not help me and my file was closed and I was hung up on.

I drove 80 kms to the Halifax airport and again spoke to the Air Canada Baggage office I spoke to Sandra **. She was called Sandy by her fellow employees. Sandra called LZ left a couple messages before finally getting a hold of someone and speaking to them. She promised me that she would call me that day and let me know the results. I did not receive a phone call. On the Thursday the 7th I again drove back the 80 kms to the Halifax Airport. At this point Sandra was again working. She again called LZ who stated they searched there and at the MTL airport and can't find the bag.

I asked Sandra for a local number in Halifax to call her directly. She refused to provide me one. She was upset that I would not leave after she assured me that I could not receive any further updates unless I was called by them. Sandra at this point threatened to have me arrested and removed from the office. At this point I invited her to do so as I had not done anything wrong and I was there with my 2 year old daughter. I would have welcomed the lawsuit against your horrible company and the police department. After my invitation Sandra thought better of this. I left with the promise of an update.

No update came. On September 15, 2017 I stopped by the baggage office in YHZ. I was told that LZ can't find my bag, that it was scanned in to be sent to them on 2017/09/01 from YHZ. Now LZ has said they do not have it. Why was I not called to be advised this? Why have I been made to drive 80 kms each way several times for updates. By your own policy 21 days which was on September 16, 2017 my bag is considered lost. I have emailed and mailed all receipts and stupid forms (tracking shows it was delivered) however I still have not received a simple response from your company. I know that you do not care but all of my clothes are in that suitcase and so far all you have done is send me a form email offering me 20 percent off my next flight. Run my name, my Credit Card and see how often I fly with your company. Is this truly how you want to treat a "valued" customer.

I have never been subjected to such horrible customer service in my life. I was made to lose out on portions of my vacation as I had to sit around and wait to speak with someone from your company who never did call me. Have wasted hours on the phone and filling out paperwork while on my vacation only to be ignored. I trust that your company will be conducting an investigation into who took my bag. It is clearly an airport or employee of Air Canada. As well in previous emails I have explained numerous times of the incredible hassle I have endured with your call center in India. As well as was threatened with removal/arrest by one of your employees in YHZ airport.

I request that someone please reach out to me through email. As of the time I am writing this review it is the 20th of September I have still not had anyone reach out to me to discuss compensation for my lost baggage and reimbursement of my interim expenses. I have e-mailed your company customer services department 9 times since the 15th and not received any response back. Your company's lack of customer service goes to show what you really think of your "valued" customers.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

In Ottawa, after our flight from Toronto to Halifax was cancelled, we encountered some of the worst customer we have ever had. After over an hours' wait, we finally got to the counter, where the female attendant was Extremely rude and obnoxious, with absolutely no sympathy for our predicament. I asked why the couple ahead of us were 1 full hour getting processed & with that, this hostile person went into a rage. We had to argue to get a night's hotel stay and the meal vouchers they gave us were worthless, as the hotel had no restaurant. They know this very well but they will do anything to "get rid" of us. Unbelievably atrocious service!!!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

I would like to notify you that I am highly stressed because I was being assaulted at Frankfurt Airport by one of the Air Canada representatives while I was flying from New Delhi - Toronto via Air Canada and had a stopover at Frankfurt Airport. I reached the Air Canada counter 18 mins before flight was scheduled to depart from Frankfurt to Toronto and Air Canada Representative didn’t let me board the flight and said, "You have to be at the counter 15 mins before the scheduled departure time" and when I told him that its still 18 mins then he said, "I don’t want to listen to anything but I cant let you board the flight and you have to take another flight for which you have to pay extra."

When I requested him to be fair then he said, "You have to pay Euro 75 for the flight and it's already 4 minutes already passed and now the gates are closed." Afterwards, he said, "If you wont pay you will miss flight which is going to Montreal and then you have to wait here only." I had to agree to whatever he said and I took flight to Montreal and then from Montreal to Toronto. My journey was so stressful because of this Air Canada Representative. He talked to me in such an aggressive way and he was big time racist. This is not what we expect from Air Canada.

Can you please explain me? When he was saying gates get closed 15 mins before the departure time why he didn’t let me board the flight when there were still 18 mins left. It took me some time at the security and there was only 1 Hr. 50 mins of gap between both flights. Is that my fault? Why did Air Canada representative forced me to pay 75 Euro when he knew that it's not my fault? Why was that guy shouting at me and was being racist to me? I don’t expect much from Air Canada but as a courtesy please refund my 75 Euros.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2017

I had to cancel a flight to Houston due to Hurricane Harvey. That caused a flight credit of over $2196. I booked another flight to Houston for $1740 and found out that I lost the difference because Air Canada only gives you one chance to use the flight credit and you lose the difference that isn't used. Even worse I had to pay a $200 change fee that could not be paid by the flight credit. So I lost $450 and had to pay $200 on top of that. This is ridiculous. There is no reason Air Canada doesn't bank the unused portion of the credit and allow the credit to be used to pay the change fee if desired. Based on this, I will only use Air Canada in the future as a last resort. I'll use US carriers and WestJet whenever possible in the future. I thought Canadians were supposed to be friendly and helpful but Air Canada fails that test.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

First and LAST experiences on Air Canada. I thought the chaos I experienced at DFW Air Canada counter could not possibly be worse, that is until my return trip a month later through YVR. On Sept 2, 2017 AC 8626 was scheduled to depart from Gate 93 at YVR. We were delayed while they shuttled the plane to the gate area, no big deal. However, they were boarding 2 other flights simultaneously, one to Seattle and one to PDX out of the same satellite gate area. Suddenly our DFW flight boarding was announced. It was total chaos. No one knew what line to stand in since there were 3 flights using the same stairwell. We were told, "Just go down there, find your plane, it's down there on the tarmac somewhere". We all shuffled down the stairs and through the only open door into a kind of canvas tunnel and up a boarding ramp. We were quickly and rudely turned away as this was the PDX flight.

Back into the tiny stairwell area, a man went upstairs and asked again where to go, was told to go "through the door marked 93". The door that said clearly "Do not open under penalty of law, Alarm will sound, Authorized Personnel Only". Back through the open door 94, avoiding the tunnel, spotting no plane anywhere near Gate 93, back inside. Told again to go thru door 93, so we did. No alarm sounded, still no plane, however the Seattle plane had moved and we could see several other planes sitting on the tarmac, 3 of which now had ramps.

Several of us trooped across an expanse of tarmac and one brave and annoyed woman hauled her carry on up the ramp. There was no attendant at the top and when she did not re-appear several of us followed her. Inside we tried to confirm that this was the Dallas flight. In return we were rudely snarled at and told to get seated, we were delaying takeoff. At no time did the flight attendant make any effort to look at our boarding passes, nor did he leave the enclosed area to confirm to people waiting below the ramp that it was the correct flight.

Once on board they announced loudly that it was the Dallas flight and if you wanted to "go elsewhere GET OFF, you already missed the Seattle and PDX flights". Another flight steward a me down the aisle, stood in the middle around seat 23 and said, "If no one is willing to honor my request we will just sit here all day. Is that what you want? It's going to be your own fault". WHAT? No one had ANY idea what he was talking about. I said, "Could you tell us what you want? I'll volunteer for anything". He told me to watch my attitude.

Someone else spoke up and asked what he wanted us to do, that we honestly had not heard any requests other than "get off if you're not going to Dallas". It seemed the flight was "out of balance" and he needed someone to move forward, 15 hands responded immediately. I have flown on many airlines all over the world over many years and Air Canada is by far the least organized, rudest, most chaotic, uncomfortable, and least customer oriented airline I have ever dealt with. Don't even get me started on the terrible, cramped, and uncomfortable fly to and from YVR to NRT.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

This company is terrible. They lost my luggage, and they compensate me with a ridiculous amount and after 40 calls with agents, supervisor and manager.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

I booked a ticket for my friend (doesnt speak good English) and we headed for a flight from Windsor to Toronto - on to Sarajevo. Called in the morn - all was good. Got there at 230 - flight cancelled due to construction in TO - next flight cancelled - 3rd flight overbooked leaving my friend with no options. Agents were rude when asking questions - did not suggest alternate transportation although limo was available for 300 and another airline was going to TO (found out by talking to pilot and stewardess but by then too late -tried to split rides with people but couldnt - called Air Canada direct and couldnt fly her out for two days (2 Days????). Finally found another lady who had to get to Toronto and split ride with her. Air Canada's and its agent's indifference and rudeness warrants it a 0 - worse is try to get a refund on something you didnt use through no fault of your own. Shame on you Air Canada.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

I am extremely disappointed in my treatment by Air Canada on the evening flight AC 8082 scheduled departure at 9:40 PM from Victoria, BC to Vancouver, BC on August 4, 2017, arrived at the airport two hours early. Soon afterwards the time between my arrival in Vancouver and my subsequent flight to Chicago was reduced to 35 minutes compared to the scheduled 55 minutes. My email account shows no messages to me after a please check in message considerably earlier in the day.

As the evening progressed, the time for the arrival of the inbound flight for my outbound flight became later to the point there were no Air Canada flights which permitted me to make my connection. But I could have if my ticket had been switched to a flight on Pacific Coast Airlines. I know airlines do not like to do such things. If this change had been made, I would have had a good chance to make my connection in Vancouver on a United Airlines flight (which also had an Air Canada flight number).

One of the gate agents in Victoria told me that he had arranged for a paid hotel in Vancouver and provided me with new reservations so I arrived home 12 hours later than I was scheduled. I was to get the hotel details from an Air Canada Customer Service representative in Vancouver. When I followed his instructions I got the runaround. I was told speaking with several such people that there were no hotel room in Vancouver or I could get a room only at a tremendous cost.

I spent the night without much success in getting sleep on some seats near the US departure area. I am 72 years old. Early in the morning it turned quite noisy. A kinder thing to have done would have been to provide some comfortable seat in an Air Canada or United Airlines lounge. It has taken me over two weeks to be able to move somewhat comfortably. In the meantime I have not been able to mow my lawn and wild animals are starting to move in. How can I trust Air Canada? I resent the fairy tales of your employees. I believe I am entitled to compensation. The series of events reflect poorly upon Air Canada and the other Star Alliance members. It was one of the worst experiences that I have had and the worst with Star Alliance airlines.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

We flew back from Sandspit yesterday afternoon. Our bags didn't make it on the plane - lots of fish that had to be loaded. When we arrived in Vancouver, we filled in the necessary forms and made our way home. Air Canada baggage representative called us in the early evening saying that our bags made it on the evening flight and would be couriered via CDS around midnight. I had both phones by my bed ready for the "we are 5 minutes out" call. No call came. Nothing until noon today, when a CDS representative asked me if a 3pm to 7pm timeframe would be workable; I said of course.

I did ask her why there was no delivery at midnight and she said that CDS is not part of Air Canada and that airlines often exaggerate delivery times. 7pm came and went, then a call came in from CDS asking if a 8pm to 11pm timeframe would work. I mentioned the earlier conversation and they said they had no record. They also added that they phoned my phone numbers and left messages - I have no record of any calls/messages. They assured me that they would get the bags to me well before 11pm. It is now 10:31 pm and no bags. From my experience, both the Air Canada baggage representative and the latest CDS rep are both lying with impunity. More to come...

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

We flew AC 3 out of Vancouver to Narita airport in Tokyo on August 8/9. The flight was delayed 2+ hours as were all AC flights out of Asia, London, and likely others. Why can't AC be on time, like the other airlines? Because of the delay and no attempt by the pilot to make up some of the time, we missed our connector in Tokyo. No rep from AC was on hand to help us but an ANA rep for our connector was there. We were booked on a much later flight to Kuala Lumpur but at Haneda airport which meant we had to go through customs and immigration, pick up our heavy 4 bags, take a 1 1/2 hour bus ride to Haneda airport and stand in a 2 hour check-in line at ANA counters.

We lost our very expensive hotel booking in KL. Coupled with this situation, we had paid a ridiculous amount to fly premium economy only to find the seats less comfortable than many economy flights, the food almost inedible, and the entertainment old or poor. We will NEVER fly AC again and it looks like a lot of other customers had already figured this out since the plane was far from full, while we have flown on other airlines to Asia and they are always full.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

We went to Toronto to celebrate 150 Year of Canada Day. On the way back, the check in desk at the Pearson Airport was very rude and inconsiderate on July 3, 2017. The fight to Heathrow departed at 09.00 Hours and breakfast was horrible as we do not eat beef. The lunch was NOT served despite the fact that we informed the air hostesses that we were diabetic. So far our complaint has gone un-noticed by Customer Relations of Air Canada. I think with the current near misses of the disasters, people should avoid flying with Air Canada.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

Worst flight ever! My flight was a couple hours delayed on my return flight, causing me to miss my connection in Vancouver. I was told by the ticket agents before I flew to Vancouver that I would be provided with a hotel once I arrived in Vancouver around midnight. I arrived in Vancouver and spoke to a rude and less than caring agent at customer service who told me that they would not provide me a hotel and that I could find a pillow and blanket down at baggage claim. At baggage claim they told me that they don't provide blankets or pillows. Still trying to get home at 9 am this morning. Worst experience ever with an Airline and I fly frequently for my business, will be only flying with WestJet from now on!!!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

After patiently being on hold for an hour, I was finally connected to a customer service representative that sounded like he was asleep. I gave him my information and then he hung up on me. I didn't receive a return call even though he had my phone #. The worst customer service. Long hold times and good luck if you get to talk to someone. If I could I would give zero.

Original review: July 29, 2017

About the ticket on Air Canada traveling from Atlanta to Toronto. There was a terrible accident on the highway on my way to the airport and I was 9 minutes late for my check in time. While I accept the fact that I was late and couldn't get on that flight even though the flight was delayed 30 minutes and they had plenty of time to get me on the flight. After talking to their customer non service representative I was told to come back to the airport at 1 for a 3:40 departure time. I decided to just wait at the airport until they reopen their ticket counter. When I explained my situation I was told that I could not get on the 3:40 p.m. flight without paying an additional $700 even though there were 18 empty seats on the flight. Airlines will kick you off a flight in a heartbeat if they are overbooked however if they have a half full plane flying to your destination they will refuse to let you on. Shame on you Air Canada!

Original review: July 23, 2017

Got to the airport in Miami 3 hours before departure just to make sure everything was in order-turned out not only had we too little time but also if our flight hadn't been delayed, we would've missed it, because of the length of check-in (took 2&half hours-great thing is, we got 90$ worth vouchers for 4 people). During check-in the guy told us the delay was not 1 hour but 4. Ok, we should've waited 8 hours for our connecting flight in Toronto anyway, so no problem. But as time was passing by the departure seemed to become further and further and we got no information of what was happening or when we could finally take off. The guy at the gate kept telling us he would immediately inform us in case he got any updates-something he clearly didn't do since we had to wait another 4 hours till boarding had started without knowing anything-we were lucky we noticed it because it happened all of a sudden.

During the 3 hours we only got drinks once and should've paid for the food if we hadn't told the stewardess that we had no chance of eating anything before take-off so she gave us some. After about an hour in the air we knew we had no chance catching our connecting flight so we started planning what we would do. The stewardess directed us to the self-service but after landing we insisted on giving it a last try. We saw on the screen that our connecting flight had been delayed so we had exactly ten minutes to get to a totally other part of the airport.

At first I asked a lady in uniform if she had any information if the flight to Budapest or at least could do anything to make the whole connecting process a little bit faster. After a few minutes of trying to understand each other -which was a bit weird since in my opinion my english is reasonably well and hers supposed to be at least intermediate too- she left us where we were standing without a word. Then I ran all through the airport and-thank God- I saw that the plane hadn't taken off yet. The lady at the gate was nice, she checked if our luggage was on the plane-it was (which meant if we hadn't have made it, we would've had no luggage on our "compulsory" stay in Toronto). On the plane we sat down and realized that it was not gonna be our most comfortable flight because our leg hardly had space even if we sat "properly." The seats didn't have entertainment systems-which for me is unacceptable in an 8-hour-long Transatlantic flight.

The plane was also dirty and ancient, food was not enough and unedible and we only got drinks 3 times. The crew was not bad yet very bored and careless. Somehow we survived and after landing the pilot gave us a short apology for the inconveniences-which was ridiculous in the point of what we had been through all day. All in all that was our worst flying experience ever. So thank you Air Canada for making our flight miserable and we hope that we will never have to fly with you again.

Original review: July 22, 2017

I took a flight on July 15th from Ottawa to Kelowna. When I arrive at the airport I asked for help to get my boarding pass at self check out, and she walks away! The flight from Vancouver to Kelowna I asked the male flight attendant to help me with my luggage, and he said I don't do bags! I felt like I was alone to defend for myself. I find that the customer service on Air Canada is not good! I like West Jet. The customer service is so much better! They are more than willing to help. I took Air Canada because it was a seat sale. But, next time I don't care. I will take West Jet.

Original review: July 22, 2017

After 2:45 hr check in process I am currently sitting 1 hr on a very hot plane (mechanical). No air condition with 300 others in intense heat because of inefficiencies in AC. NOT MOVING. NOT ALLOWED TO GET OFF. No end in sight. 5 AC flights in last 3 weeks. 1 was 4 hr delay (mechanical) 1 was completely cancelled 20 mins before departure. Next one rerouted 2 1/2 hours out of the way and 1 hr delay. Next one sat in the plane on the runway 1 1/2 hours. Not once have I had an even reasonable experience with Air Canada.

Air Canada Company Information

www.aircanada.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use