Air Canada

Compare Airlines

Research top Airlines recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

michael of Paarl, Other on

Air Canada simply cancelled my flight with no apparent reason and refused to offer any help for alternative arrangements. I had a connecting flight in New York as well as prepaid hotel accommodation. When they cancelled my flight on 5 May 2017 from Montreal to New York, the customer service ladies refused to help in any way. As a foreigner in a foreign city like Montreal, this was totally unacceptable.

Murray of Montreal, Quebec on

Air Canada is okay. They nickel and dime, charge for luggage and likely still have the fuel surcharge!! I would fly with them again but would look for a deal.

Alice of Calgary, AB on

April 22nd, 2017 flight from Calgary to Toronto. I have my cat with me in the cabin so I had to check in with a desk agent to get my boarding pass and also check in my small carry-on suitcase. The desk agent took suspiciously longer than she should to print my baggage tag and when she noticed my annoyance, she said she wanted to make sure all is correct. She then proceed to put the tag on my luggage and gave me my boarding pass and baggage slip and told me where to drop off the luggage. I quickly look for security gate and proceed to my gate.

Upon boarding, it was only at the gate agent when I showed her my boarding pass did I realize the baggage slip says it's going to Winnipeg. Panicked, I asked the gate agent if my luggage was sent to Winnipeg and the gate agent checked on the system that the sticker was not mine and gave me my actual baggage number. I asked her if they had send my bag to Winnipeg on another flight already cause I need my luggage. Gate agent assured me that the desk agent probably just put the wrong sticker on my ticket and that I will get my luggage at my destination in Toronto but "hold on to the baggage number in case it didn't show up". I supposed the gate agent didn't dig deeper cause she wanted the flight to take off on time which I get. When I reached my destination, my sinking feeling was confirmed when my luggage didn't show up. I filed for a delayed baggage report and the agent there couldn't locate my bag at all.

Luckily, 2 days later it arrived at my doorstep. Upon checking my luggage to make sure nothing was stolen, I saw the baggage slip that the desk agent had put on and it was indeed going to Winnipeg. HOW DOES AN AGENT PRINT ANOTHER PASSENGER'S BAGGAGE SLIP AND PUT IT IN MY LUGGAGE??? AND CHARGE ME THE CHECK-IN FEE FOR THIS??? I don't mind paying the fee as long as it gets to my destination but I don't feel right about being charged to have my bag purposely sent to Winnipeg! I swear she spent all that time looking up which flight to sent it to to have minimal damage (time-wise). I read that AC purposely "delay" baggage for various reasons but this has gone too far. I will never fly with Air Canada again. I have Aeroplan but I guess I won't use that on any domestic flight. Porter and WestJet is the only other options.

Noreen of Bobcaygeon, ON on

Rudest agent ever spoken to. Was booking my seat and had to listen to him reprimand me for not choosing a seat at booking time. Angrily said, "Why did you wait until now." To top it off the flight attendants are sullen and bordering on hostile. Will NEVER fly AC again.

Susan of Coquitlam, BC on

This is about the handling of Air Canada flight AC 8669 from San Diego to Vancouver on April 11 2017. I have not flown in 35 years. This was a very special trip for me. Now that I am 65 years old I would like to take a trip or two. I thought about going to South Africa but that's too far, too expensive and I would need shots. I thought going to San Diego's Safari Park would be a good compromise. I was also going to be traveling alone. I was excited, nervous and scared for these reasons. I got to see all that I wanted to see. This was like a dream come true to see all those exotic animals.

However, the flight coming home was a nightmare. I was at the San Diego airport at 10:30 am. Two hours before my flight at 12:30. The flight I was scheduled to be on was AC 8669 San Diego to Vancouver. After about 4 1/2 hours of waiting past the scheduled time of leaving we were all told the flight was canceled due to mechanical problems. Air Canada even tried flying in a part, I heard, but even that plane had trouble.

It wasn't until 9:30 pm that I was shuttled to the LA airport. That's eleven hours of waiting. All that time I am trying to be patient. Different people were being told different information about what was happening. Different people were getting different emails that they were booked on a Saturday flight, a Wednesday flight. Yet the Air Canada rep was saying "no just stay here." Total confusion. I don't have a cell phone so I was getting worried. Then, I remembered I have an iPod and I checked that and I got an email stating I'm scheduled to leave at 5:30 pm. Which, looking at my watch had already gone by 2 minutes ago. I understand that it would be a complex problem to solve. Flights to be rescheduled on Air Canada. Connecting flights to be rescheduled. Hotel rooms to be booked. But it is very obvious that Air Canada does not have a good protocol for canceled flights.

It takes another two hours to shuttle some of us to the LA airport in a hot small van. We were told somebody would be there to give us hotel rooms and confirm that we were either booked on the 7:00 am or 12:00 noon flight out of LA. We get there and there is nobody there to help us. It is now 11:45 pm and we are walking up and down the terminal trying to find somebody. We are tired and very angry. That is absolutely terrible treatment of your customers. Two customers were using their cell phones to talk to Air Canada. They were told nothing could be done. They were told "Find your own hotel (under a hundred dollars) and submit the receipt to Air Canada." That's ridiculous. 1:00 in the morning and we are to find our own hotel for a hundred dollars in a strange city. What kind of treatment is that?

Finally, 2 Air Canada employees show up to help us. The one told us that they were told we might be coming! What, they didn't know! I was assuming that Air Canada at the San Diego airport was arranging all this. That's why we were waiting so long!! I didn't get to the hotel in LA until 1:20 am. From 10:30 am Tues. morning to 1:20 am Wed. morning. That's what 15 hours. Even worse, I'm in the lobby of the hotel at 1:45 am and I see 3 of the people from that plane were rejected from the hotel because they ran out of rooms. The Air Canada employees at the LA airport were supposed to have booked those rooms. Can you imagine how they felt after all that they went through. That is terrible treatment.

There were parents with very young children booked on that flight. Some women were even breastfeeding. I think some of them got to go directly to the hotel in LA rather than to the airport to get vouchers. I'm hoping Air Canada treated them better. There was an older woman who had been to Mexico for an operation and lived quite a distance from Prince George. She needed a wheelchair and she had to go through all that the rest of us went through.

There was a young woman who just lost her grandfather whom she was close to. She was very close to tears when she told us why she was on the plane. I could see when we got to the LA airport that she looked like she felt defeated. There was a couple with a daughter that had only 4 days off from school to vacation and now 2 of those days are gone. And myself. This is the first time I have flown in 35 years and I am not young. I was so tired that Wed morning I spilled coffee all over my brand new suitcase and my brand new expensive running shoes that I had bought for all that walking I was going to be doing.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Air Canada?

Narcisa of Dunrobin, ON on

Well, I have made a reservation on April the 11th to flight to the Dom Rep. after careful verification I noticed that I will have to stay in Toronto for an overnight, so I called back to cancel... No problem. They did canceled the reservation and told me that I was going to be refunded on the 12 of April. Then on the 12th I realized that they have NOT cancel my travel insurance and NOT advise me that I have to cancel it myself. Today is the 13th but, no money back yet, so I called and I was told that it might take up a month even more because I paid with my Debit card. It takes them less than a minute to take MY money and I have to wait so long to get MY money back and the completed the whole in 3 transaction on my account. It is ridiculous.

adriano of Straford, ON on

I've been on my vacation for 3 days and it was only a 4 day weekend trip. Spent two of the days on the phone waiting, listening to Air Canada music as I was trying to get in touch with somebody in regards to my delayed bag that came a day late. Made me miss my scuba trip. And then when it did arrive the suitcase was cracked and damaged and also seems like somebody had some sticky fingers and took something out of it which then ruined my scuba trip. Talk to Moses at the Mexican airport who is an Air Canada representative. I asked him if I should be contacting the police and making a report. He said no. Then when I called the Air Canada head office they said why didn't I make a police report. Really feel that their company is very negligent to their customers especially after I paid an extra $800 upgrade fee for first class.

Still nothing is resolved and they want me to wait 25 days for someone to call me back after somebody on their end stole something, go to my bag and damaged my bag when if it was there the same time as arrival is me none of these issues would have happened. The people that I dealt with that I felt were very negligent or a manager named Tracy at head office. Also another supervisor name Sharon who lied to me and said she would call me back in an hour and it's now been 23 hours later. Just don't really feel that they care about their customers. I have her employee number but I don't really want to wait on the phone for another three hours to talk to somebody that's going to accidentally hang up on you. I would not recommend this company to anybody and this was me flying first class.

Suzie of North Quincy, MA on

On November 25, I was denied boarding a flight from Boston to Toronto to Beijing. I was not given any compensation. They stole my money! I had an onward ticket with China Eastern to New Zealand. When I tried to board the plane, I was told I needed a Chinese visa. This was not true. China has different rules people can use to avoid paying the $140 for a visa. I had followed the 24-hour rule for transit without a visa (TWOV).

I couldn't believe they could sell me a ticket to Beijing and then not know the rules for travel. They are so afraid of getting in trouble with allowing the wrong people on a flight that they have no sense of fairness. I went to small claim court for treble damages. I lost the case. They sent a lawyer. I had to buy a last minute ticket for over $2000 to travel the next day. AIR CANADA IS BREAKING THE LAW and getting away with it. Please, never travel on Air Canada, at least with my itinerary.

Ted of Kleinburg, ON on

Rude, arrogant, very bad food and most importantly unable to speak to anyone on the phone. 23 years of being a customer, 50 to 75,000 miles per year, 650,000 mile lifetime membership, unable to utilize my upgrade certificates. Can't talk to anyone. Nobody returns or emails. Customer service does not even respond.

Melissa of Port Coquitlam, BC on

Do not fly, even for free! I got bumped off an overbooked flight, and was given a voucher to use for future travel. When I tried to actually use it, the reps told me to book the flight, then they would refund the voucher, which I did. When I called to get the refund, they said I should have called first to book so they could apply the credit, which I had just done, and then they said I would have to wait until after I travel (2 months down the road) before I could even apply to use the credit, even though they admitted they made the mistake in telling me to book first. 10-20 emails were sent to deal with this, dozens of phone calls by uncaring staff who brushed me aside.

Finally I finished travel and asked for the money back, they sent me to some web form, which said it would take a minimum of 3 weeks for anyone to even look at the refund, let alone actually credit it, so I get to pay credit card interest while Air Canada wastes my time. 5 complaints lodged, another 6 emails, and still no response other than "we will get to your email eventually".

Lisette of Lincoln, Other on

My friend and I came to Las Vegas via Toronto with Air Canada. What a miserable experience it was. The flight attendants are appallingly rude, they do not respond at all to call lights. They virtually throw the inedible food at you and then quite literally, once they have cleared away the food remains and served coffee, are not seen again until it's time to land! This was the case not only with the seven-hour London-Toronto flight but also with the 4-hour Toronto-Las Vegas flight. We have the same dreadful experience to look forward to on our return to U.K. on 1 April!

Suffice to say, I will NEVER use this airline again and I advise people to be cautious when considering booking with them. I am a very well travelled person and have literally travelled the world with numerous airlines, and Air Canada is the worst airline, by far, that I have ever travelled with. Actually, you get what you pay for, but for a national carrier Air Canada is shameful.

idalia of Port Charlotte, FL on

I booked our flight with Air Canada back in Dec. 2016 and I realized in March 2017 that I had made an honest mistake on the flight departure and arrival. I had booked that we would fly from Fort Myers to Toronto in April 2017. When I realized the mistake I called into customer service and the run around started. I have been calling everyday now for the past 5 days and emailing them. I asked them for help to change my flights that I mistakenly made an honest mistake. All I needed was to fly from Toronto to Fort Myers. Everything else was fine 4 passengers on the same date. They said I had to pay $200 each to change it. I asked to speak to a manager and they said they had left for the day. I gave them my phone number and email for a manager to contact me. I'm still waiting.

For the 5 past days I have been calling to speak to a manager or anyone who can help me in this matter. Then I get you need to call the french line they are taking care of your case. I call the French line and tell me I need to call the English line. 5 days of this madness. Our tickets cost me $550 and now they want $800 to change it plus the difference in price for the tickets. For a family of 4 to fly these days it is becoming costly. I explained to them that I can't afford $1000. Customer service suggested that I just buy new tickets at $185 each. So I asked how about the other tickets that I paid for already. Customer service said to just leave it and let it go to waste.

Does it make sense that I paid $550 for tickets to go down the drain. How can I fly out of Fort Myers to Toronto if I am in Toronto to begin with. I asked if I can paid the difference in price and they said no. Why should I buy new tickets when I already paid, and I can't afford to buy new ones and by far certainly can't afford $1000 to change them. My flight is 2 months away. I can't see why they can't help me and why I need to keep tickets that I can't use. Customer service keeps telling me that I need to pay $200 each to fix my tickets. Air Canada has disappointed me. What happen to affordable traveling, Family vacations, what happened to good customer service??? When I tell people what is going on they are shocked at how this is being taken care of especially when it 2 months away.

Linda of Surrey, BC on

I will never travel with Air Canada again! Worst airline ever! I was boarding at the New York LGA airport to Toronto. After I finished my boarding and set on seat. 3mins before departure the front desk assistant (I think she is a tall skinny ** girl with long curly hair and she is the one who checks the boarding pass) came to me and asked for my passport. She did not mention anything and just asked me to take out my passport. I gave it to her. She started to take out her OWN cell phone and told me that my passport information was not in the system. She did not want to delay the flight and wanted to take a picture of my passport information. I asked her "Using your own phone"? She said yes and she said she would delete it afterwards.

I wanted to say no at that time because I did not think this was appropriate and I did not want anyone to have my passport information! But her attitude and tone was firm and impatient. It seemed like it was my fault that my info was not in the system. She raised her voice and let everyone on the airplane to know that it was my fault to delay the airplane because I was questioning her taking photos of my passport. She did not gave me any other option and immediately took the picture and left! I was very mad about the way she handled customer's privacy! It was as not my fault that my passport info was not in the system. I did not have any trouble passing through the boarding gate. Why don't they tell me at the boarding gate that they don't have my info? I have never encountered with this situation before. It was not appropriate and it violated my privacy!

I had no way to know whether she deleted my passport information or not after she got off the airplane! She was wearing the Air Canada's staff member uniform and I was pretty sure she was one of the staff member. She was using her own iPhone to take the picture of my passport. Even if she deleted my passport picture the new iOS system will save the deleted photo up to 30 days! There will be a trace to recover the picture once you took a picture. My passport info was never safe with her action! I was very worried and I had to report to the RCMP about potential identity thief situation and also be very cautious about any credit card payment. I have already contacted with Air Canada and they only said they will investigate it and they will handle it properly. But I haven't get anything back from Air Canada yet! By the way they also damaged my luggage, I found a long deep scratch on the bottom of my scratch proof luggage after the trip.

Joanne of Vernon, BC on

I booked a return ticket for my Son from VANCOUVER to Japan last May (2016). They have a lowest price guarantee within 24 hours. Eight hours after I booked, Flighthub.ca had the exact flight for $87 cheaper so I went to cancel BUT they convinced me to stay with the booking. Promising me the difference plus $50. I checked with their National Resource desk. They confirmed that it was Canadian and asked me to take screen shots and send in to their site. They promised I'd have the credit within a few days.

Fast forward - many months and countless hours on the phone (10 hours+) have not received it. Promised yesterday I would be able to use it for my upcoming flight to Victoria, they said I can't use it. They shouldn't make promises they can't keep - this is fraudulent. No phone calls to them - only the agents. Impossible to get - they need to BE investigated.

Kirandeep of Surrey, BC on

Me and my husband was travel through Air Canada in February this year. We have a terrible experience with Air Canada. Air Canada is not a small thing. You guys are everywhere. Now the whole world trust you guys but I have a stressful experience with you. I faced lot of harassment because of the delayed of your flight for 2 hours as I have a connected flight from Canada to Hong Kong but we reached late there and we have to wait for 12 hours to get a flight without food and moreover, they don't even listen to us. No hotel, no food, no concerns.

They are shouting on us at the airport. We have to pay for the hotel stay and even for the taxi to travel to hotel from airport. After 6 hours wait they send us to Bangkok and when we reached there we have to take visa of Thailand as we have to take our luggage from there and we have to pay the visa fees, and you can't believe we have to offer them a bribe of 200 baht for visa, luggage fees and even we felt ashamed. They throw a passport on my face. Lot of harassment. I felt awful. We don't get any food not even water to drink. Unpleasant stay. Air Canada should be answerable for harassment, stress, tension that we faced because of them. Totally unfair...terrible experience. I would never give a thought to travel with you guys in future. AWFUL, UNPLEASANT, STRESS, TENSION.

Mohamed of Ottawa, ON on

Air Canada has worst service with rude staff. They delayed and damaged all my luggage bags. Baggage claim process is very tedious and time consuming. They refund less than half of what I claimed and gave no details what is the basis of their calculations. Traveling with Air Canada (our national airline) is very embarrassing.

Greg of Cochrane, AB on

Booked through Air Canada, paid Air Canada, Air Canada sent a confirmation with their logo in bold red across the top. Then I couldn't check in online. I called Customer Support, waited an hour and was told I would have to check in at the airport. Went to Air Canada check-in and tried for 15 minutes to check in. Finally found a "customer service" rep and she said, "See the small print on the bottom of the page, that means you have to check in with United." By the time I got to United I was 1 minute late to check-in. United tried very hard to get me rebooked but finally told me since I booked with Air Canada their hands were tied.

Eventually 3 different people tried to help me and I will get to Denver 11 hours later than planned. I had to raise a bit of a stink not to be charged a rebooking fee for the pleasure of spending all day in airports. The final straw was when I asked if I could at least use their lounges to do some work and was told no. Air Canada's motto is still alive and well -- "We're not happy, till you're not happy."

chris of Dewinton, AB on

If I could give less than 1 star I would. I booked 3 flights with Air Canada through Air Miles for a 3 leg trip from YYC. They changed all 3 flights by 8 hours or so, months after booking it. How can you book a flight and then the airline changes the departure by 8 hours?? I can see it happening once, by an hour or so, maybe. But all three flights??! 3 for 3, nice average.

So you can book what you want with WESTJET and it has historically worked out the way it should. OR, book with Air Crappy and the departure times are confirmed at time of booking (when they want your payment info), but in the end they bump you to a flight that works better for them. BRUTAL!!! I am figuratively screaming for the highest mountain --- AIR CANADA SUCKS!!!

Fernando of Montreal, QC on

Air Canada lost my bag in Newark coming from Porto to Montreal the 8th January and I am still waiting not just for the bag but for their call to give any information or at least an apology. Every time I call I have to wait around 40 min and their staff give ZERO information. They forward you to their claims department, which (surprise!) has no phone number and you must send a (paper) letter. They do not share their delayed/lost baggage policy to avoid customers from spending money potentially to be refund. It is embarrassing how this company treat customers, Air Canada has the worst customer service and care I have ever experienced. Good luck.

anthony of Toronto, ON on

This company has no regard for its paying customers. The worst customer service that I have ever experienced. I will never travel with them again. They refuse to answer questions about flights that are delayed. We received more information by looking at the departure screens that are set up in the departure area. On a recent flight to Florida the flight was delayed more than 3.5 hours, numerous gate changes. Finally at midnight after being in the airport for 7 hours there was a plane that had arrived that would be available to take us to our destination. I'm embarrassed that this is our national airlines. I understand why they are losing money each year, nobody seems to give a crap. Good luck Air Canada. You stink...

savita of Calgary, AB on

We booked a vacation with Air Canada to Cuba from Calgary. Our flight was delayed for three hours so they put us on a flight to Ottawa and then to Varadero. We were initially supposed to get to Varadero around 6 in the evening but we did not get there until midnight. We then waited for an hour at the airport for our baggage which did not show up. There was no Air Canada person to contact and local people could not speak and understand English. Finally after about an hour Air Canada rep showed up and filled the Baggage claim form. We were then told that the resort we had booked has some issue so we are being transferred to another resort. We did not get to the resort until 3 in the morning. We had two rooms booked one with queen bed and another one with twin beds. We were told the resort only had rooms available with twin beds. We finally got the room around 4 in the morning.

Next morning we got up, we were in Cuba but had no toothbrushes, clothes, bathing suits etc. Well we went to the Air Canada rep at the resort and asked when we could we get our luggage by and he said he is not sure and that we should just go the town and buy whatever we needed. We pretty soon realized that everything there was twice as much but we had no choice so spent $200 and bought some of the things we absolutely needed and $200 seems quite a bit but not in Cuba where just one toothbrush at the resort cost us $5. Our luggage did not show up until three days later.

Funny part is since I came back I have been trying to find a customer service number for Air Canada but there is none. Air Canada knows how much they screw up so they don't have a number where customer can call with their complaint. Only way you can file a complaint with Air Canada is by emailing or faxing which of course nobody responds to. I travel quite a bit and have travelled with many different airlines. This is not my first time travelling with Air Canada and every time I travel with them I say I will not travel with them again, but then I fly with them again thinking that this time it will be better experience but Air Canada makes it worse every time and I am truly done with it. Air Canada I can say is worst of all the Airlines I have travelled with and its staff is very rude and unhelpful.

Gary of Scottsdale, AZ on

My son's bag did not make the same flight as him on 8th Jan 2016 from Phoenix to Dublin. Understanding this happens from time to time, he filed the relevant paperwork in Dublin and awaited delivery, anticipating it would arrive within the two days he was staying in Dublin. The bag arrived in Dublin 3 hours after he left for Barcelona - this was 3 days after he had arrived. He had previously shown the foresight to add a notation on the baggage claim form that he would leave for Barcelona on 11th Jan, and indeed (according to the tracking website) the bag arrived in Barcelona that same evening. Still all seemed like it was going as expected, if not exactly to plan.

Since then he has been patiently awaiting his bag. Today (Saturday - 3 days after the bag arrived in Barcelona) he called the luggage desk at the airport and was told he could go to collect the bag rather than wait for delivery. He took a taxi there, only to be told the bag could not be located. So far, this is simply a series of unfortunate events (although wasting his day could probably have been avoided fairly easily). However, my problem is now with Air Canada not being available to provide any advice or guidance. I called their baggage service line and was put on hold for over half an hour before I gave up; I attempted online chat 3 hours ago and am STILL awaiting an agent to initiate the conversation. I emailed and have not even received confirmation that my email was received.

My son is expecting to start school on Monday and needs his bag and its contents to do so. He is traveling on a student budget and is unable to replace his bag contents. This isn't a difficult problem to solve - we simply need a bag to be where it is supposed to be, and we need the airline and its representatives to take responsibility for doing so. However, my experience so far is that Air Canada and its agents are unreachable, incompetent or both. This is an appalling blot on what I anticipated would be a smooth and perhaps preferable route to Dublin which I visit often for both work and family, but at this point I would be a fool to do anything but stick with British Airways (who have certainly left my bag behind on more than one occasion, but were always able to have it catch up with me within one or two days at most).

Eli of Los Angeles, CA on

I am a disabled veteran. I am a frequent flyer, and have a lot of experience with air companies. I always fly with the same carry on, and never had problems. Today January 14 2017, I was flying from LAX to Toronto Canada. I was the only passenger that his carry on was measured. It was 0.5 centimeter longer!!! Other passengers were with a bigger carry on, and were allowed to take it on board! So I was not allowed to take it on board. I am a disabled person with stuff I need during the flight. Alex the supervisor was rude and unprofessional. I had to pack all my stuff in a small backpack. No more Air Canada for me!

mark of Coalville, Other on

The 2016 Christmas was supposed to be a special due to a bad year of health and job loss. So my wife and I were invited by our American friends to spend Christmas in New York and New Year in Miami. Our outbound journey was BHX >DUB>YYZ>SYR. Yes I know 3 flights but as the time of booking that is all we could get and it was Aer Lingus followed by 2 flights with Air Canada. The flight from Dublin to Toronto was 3 hours late taking off but we were reassured by Air Canada that our connecting flight would be rebooked in the air and sure enough an hour before landing many passengers in the same situation were rebooked which I gave them 10 out of 10 for doing so. However as we were waiting in the lounge for our final flight an announcement was made to say the flight had been canceled due to routine maintenance. Really so why was it booked for us?

The only flight now was to Rochester so we got that booked and then we were told the same story as the previous flight but they would get a plane over. We were assured that our checked baggage would be transferred with no problem. By now the connecting flight was some 4 hours late and our friends would have to drive from Syracuse to Rochester to pick us up. Eventually we took off and arrived at midnight. Guess what now no luggage. It had been left at Rochester Airport.

SO after a 2-hour drive with our friends we spent a further 2 hours (it's now 4 am the following day) getting hold of someone to lodge missing/delayed baggage. I won't bore you with rest of it but we eventually got our luggage at 3 pm on Christmas Day!! Bearing in mind we flew out on the 23rd December. Just to add further pain we had delayed flights on the way back and guess what lost luggage again, but it did arrive the following. All in all they do not even deserve any rating whatsoever!!!

Glen of North Vancouver, BC on

I wrote to Air Canada -- no response. I am writing to express my disappointment and anger with my recent journey to Varadero, Cuba. I have been to Cuba numerous times in the past with no problems. I was expecting much more with an "Air Canada vacation." I know to lower my Western standards in this beautiful country and the people, and the beaches thankfully helped make our vacation a relatively pleasant one.

The problems started when I was notified by email that our flight changed to a 10 p.m. departure from YVR. This meant an over 8 hour layover in Toronto rather than the original same-day flight. We found another passenger who had the same experience and was given a hotel room to stay in due to the inconvenience. Nothing was offered to us, even when I had to call a week ahead of the flight to ask about our 30 day confirmation email I was supposed to get. We found out at YYZ that an earlier flight went out that we could have easily taken.

Thankfully we had lounge passes for Air Canada. We went to the domestic lounge to use them and your employee examined the passes, and said we should instead go to the international lounge as it was better. We did that and they notified us that our passes were no good, and could do nothing for us. We were unable to go back to domestic due to our international ticket. There was absolutely no accommodating our needs and being accountable to providing us false information. I expect when I deal with a company that I can trust their words. We were furious and had to make do with uncomfortable airport seating for 8 hours after being up all night.

When we arrived in Varadero, we could deplane as the paperwork wasn't complete so we had to wait about 20 minutes. We then boarded the bus and couldn't leave till about an hour later as Air Canada lost some people's luggage. We arrived quite late to the hotel and missed dinner other than some scraps left over. We proceeded to our hotel room and en route, bulbs were burned out, ceilings were falling apart, steps were broken, walls were crumbling, doors were broken, and elevators were shut down for good. It was like walking into a shanty town.

We get into the room and the place had lights broken, lamp shades melted, a phone that didn't work, a shower that was missing parts on the tap, and pillows that lacked any support. Worst of all were the bugs that scattered off the bed when I took off the cover. It was disgusting! I went to the front desk to complain and change rooms, and they could do nothing. We had to sleep with bugs crawling around.

The next morning I spoke to the Air Canada rep as I tried to call the number on the ticket to complain to you directly and the call couldn't connect. Miguel was nice and tried to help out. He looked into another hotel but it would have cost us $500 extra. He told the managers to give us a villa room instead and asked us to check with the front desk later as they had nothing for us yet.

We went back to the front desk at 3 p.m. and had the choice between two rooms, not in the villa, despite what Miguel instructed them to do. The new room was better and moved our things there. This whole change wasted more of our vacation time, as well as the anger we had in tolerating bugs and a ** room. In our new room we never received our beach towels despite a few requests with the front desk. It took two days to get new towels. Then toilet paper took another day at one point in time.

A couple of days later our toilet stopped working and it took all day to get it fixed as we were told that the mechanic knocked on our door twice to fix it and we were not there. We were never told we had to be and also, who would expect a client to wait for a mechanic to fix a toilet?!!! I am on vacation. These experiences made our vacation very frustrating and we made the most of it. I am shocked that this is ranked as a 3 - 3.5 star. We were treated by Air Canada and the hotel like 1 stars.

On the return trip I requested to the Air Canada agent in Varadero to seat us close to the front of the plane as we had a connecting flight. We boarded the plane and realized we were placed in row 31 of 32 rows! If that wasn't enough, the food items were very scarce by the time it was our turn. All they had was one pizza and macaroni and cheese with snacks limited to junk food. The flight attendants were very unfriendly and unapologetic; very matter of fact and never saw one smile on their faces as they served guests.

I would also suggest you review the hotels you place guests in and have them and your Air Canada staff treat guests with greater respect and dignity. The only one to do so was your representative at the hotel. I truly believe that customer service is the one differentiator companies have left and the way "economy" passengers are treated is appalling. I expect a prompt response to this. I fly both Air Canada and West Jet regularly for business and this treatment to me and my wife is unacceptable, and didn't make our experience a true vacation.

Terry of Lewis Lake, NS on

I originally had a direct flight to Ft Lauderdale from Halifax which was cancelled and re-scheduled for the next day which didn't work for me. I did manage to get it back to the original day but am now missing most of the day which I had planned for in Ft Lauderdale. Even this flight time was changed a few times afterwards with minor adjustments in departure times. Now I'm within 24 hrs of a major snow storm 30-40cm and AC won't change my flight until they deem there is a problem!!! I guess it's okay for them to randomly change my flights around but when it comes to a real problem I'm left in the lurch. Way to go Air Canada. Talk about poor customer service. Don't think I'll be flying with them again.

Octavio of Milton, ON on

I am very disappointed and I feel like a fool for trusting Air Canada. I have made a yearly round trip BOG-Toronto-BOG since 2011 and was happy until this one, with the flight, staff and Air Canada in general. You then without letting me know at the time of purchase tricked me by not letting me know that I was going to fly with AC but instead with Rouge. Seats were extremely uncomfortable, staff were rude, no TV screens, at the check-in offered an upgrade which I accepted and then did not delivered...

Now I find out that I have to take the same air carrier (Rouge) which if I knew I would have flown with someone else, so I tried to get info or try to figure out how much it would be to fly in Business by phone and it took me 30 mins on the queue and 45 min for the guy on the phone to try to figure out the price... CA$740. Not happy at all. Will not fly with you ever again and will go to social media and add one more bad experience to the others your company has online and word of mouth.

Adrian of Chaiwan, Other on

The Canadian aviation needs a total overhaul! I can't believe Canadians are willing to fork out that outraged airfares for a low service! As a Canadian expat in Asia, accustomed to the 5-star services of Cathay Pacific, Singapore Airlines, and Japan Airlines when I returned to Canada flying the domestic segment was so appalling! Even the international segment was not at par with any of the Asian carriers but at least because of foreign competition, AC was no too far behind but neither great.

To my fellow Canadians, I don't know why you folks are so afraid of foreign investments into the aviation business? It's time to be customer focused and get rid of those unions. No doubt it's no bad to be an AC staff because they milked the customers and feed their staff with outrageous benefits. I know because a friend of mine works for AC. Canadians are so lagging behind in aviation and the mobile technologies. Come to Asia and see how are we Canadians are so behind. Ditch those unions blocking the progress!

Mike of Newark, NJ on

This is by far the absolute WORST experience with an airline I have ever had. The customer no service agents absolutely take total advantage of your time and unfortunate mishaps in life and have absolutely no problem at all taking all of your money and never looking back. I would GREATLY DISCOURAGE ANYONE getting a TN Visa book a flight on Air Canada. The agent had reassured us that the ticket was refundable if anything went wrong and upsold the useless insurance as well. The agent laughed at me on the phone said it was our fault because we should have known the TN visa could not be issued and we were ignorant and uneducated.

WHAT? WAS HE DRUNK? The border MANDATES you get a ticket BEFORE APPLICATION, it is a requirement of IMMIGRATION. He then told us that all I could do was change my flight for a huge fee and that was our problem. Yes, he used the words, "your problem". He said I would be better off staying at home if this is the case and maybe shouldn't be working. Absolutely unbelievable and totally sexist and prejudice. I would like the attorney general in Washington to know about this and am planning on filing a complaint. Everyone in the US should call or write to the office in Washington at: (202) 785-5980.

mehmet of Toronto, ON on

I traveled to Toronto from Istanbul by Air Canada on 18th July 2016. They lost my luggage as usual. I'm writing this comment on 15 December 2016 and they still couldn't find my luggage. Also they have not paid my money that they have to pay. I have sent countless email to them about that. They have never responded yet. I'm preparing to go to court before I leave Canada. Whenever I call their customer service they only say "we are so sorry we apologise". They never inform me clearly about my luggage's situation.

Air Canada Company Profile