3.48/5

463 Air Canada Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 12, 2019

Our flight from Rome back to the States was great. The service on the plane was great. However, my baggage did get messed up. Upon calling customer service and getting the issue researched. Air Canada sent me a new luggage to replace the damaged one. Great service overall all. I would fly with them again.

Original review: March 22, 2019

Our family travels exclusively with Air Canada. We have always had an amazing experience both on and off the aircraft. This time however was extra special. I was dealing with Maria and she went beyond the call of service and left me to tears when I was done our call. YOU PROVE TO ME TIME AND AGAIN NO MATTER WHAT - MY CHOICE WILL ALWAYS BE AIR CANADA! THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!! It's the thought of going beyond to help and serve your clientele. You have no idea how much this has meant to me.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 17, 2019

I have flown with Air Canada all my life. I am Canadian but live in Thailand now for 35 years. I travel to Canada normally twice a year to see my 2 daughters and their 2 children. I am in Air Canada's top flying category.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I book flights very often and the last flight I booked I book a day I already had a flight for. I noticed the next morning and called customer service and they were so busy they weren’t accepting calls. By this time it’s about 1/2 hr past my 24 hr time frame to cancel for a refund. So it’s a credit now and I will use it up soon. But because they were too busy I got penalized. Just a little beef. But usually, I have good experiences with them.

Original review: July 21, 2018

I’m a 82 year old person who has a passion for travel. I have flown with most of the major airlines and lesser aircraft. My first experience was in 1961 from London to Paris on an aging Dakota aircraft. After reading a lot of negative reviews of Air Canada I approached my recent trip from Brisbane Vancouver with Air Canada with trepidation expecting the worst. Was I mistaken? The crew were so cheerful, helpful and couldn’t do enough for us. The food was as good or better than I have had on other aircraft. From my experience I fully recommend Air Canada and I would definitely fly with them again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Air Canada?

Original review: June 23, 2019

My husband’s flight that should have been 14 hours ended up being over 24 hours. Air Canada is a bunch of incompetent fools that have no idea what they are doing. Do NOT fly with them. They hung up on me when I called to complain. They will only take complaints via website, because they do not want to be held accountable. Horrible airline.

Original review: June 20, 2019

My wife and I booked our flight more than a month ahead of time. When we checked in 23.9 hours ahead of departure time we were seated apart, with my wife in middle seat. They then charged us $104 to sit together. This has never happened to us before. But our friends tell us this happened to them twice on Air Canada. This is obviously a scam. It is false comparisons to compare Air Canada fares to other airlines.

Original review: June 19, 2019

Started a job in Kitimat BC at the beginning of April. The airfare was reasonable at the time. Now in the last month Air Canada has jack the prices through the roof, cannot even afford to go to work, just crazy how a company can get away with this. From $180.00 one way to some tickets are $1400.00 one way????

Original review: June 16, 2019

Was at YYZ airport to check in; first customer service rep was VERY RUDE; second rep was incompetent. Do they get Bonuses for Rudeness & Incompetence? Cannot wait to get to Asia or Europe, to compare.

Original review: June 15, 2019

I used to fly with Air Canada all the time, but recently, I've noticed a few small changes that seemed to have been quietly made that weren't communicated. The service on planes has gone down, with a flight I took from Toronto-Vancouver recently taking 48 minutes after take-off to get beverage service started at all. The meal service also stopped halfway, after they had served business class, for no reason. They are constantly delayed, and fighting for any sort of compensation is like pulling teeth. Flying with pets is a nightmare, and if the temperature on the tarmac is too hot/cold for your pet, then you will have lost the amount you paid for your pet and they won't fly with it.

Most importantly, they have also changed the lowest fare they offer to "basic" fare instead of "standard" fare, which means that while you pay exactly the same price as you used to for the latter, you get way less benefits attached to your ticket, such as the ability to sit together when you book as a family, the ability to change your tickets for a fee, and basic comfort requirements. I used to love Air Canada, but now I would never fly with them if there was any other choice.

Original review: June 11, 2019

Air Canada ruined my entire trip and vacation to Thailand. All of my flights were with another Airline but the first flight of the trip was with Air Canada. They delayed the flight from Montreal to Toronto for unknown reason by 1 hours and then delayed it again by 3 hours which made me missed all my connections to Thailand. I then called the customer service to get rebooked and they said to me they didn't have any other flights before the next night, which is 20 hours later and will be taking the opposite route, not over the Pacific ocean. They got me stuck in Toronto for more than 20 hours.

I then received a notification by the other airline that the Pakistani Airspace is closed and it might interrupt their flights going over. Being so overwhelmed after being stuck so many hours in Toronto and by this news, I decided to take a flight back home and cancel my trip. But the biggest problem was after, trying to get them to refund you the trip or at least part of trip from a fault that is not even yours. After spending hours fighting with them on the phone, they will not refund you in any way. For rating, they do have a good in-flight service but the worst customer comprehension ability and will do all their possible not to refund you.

Original review: June 8, 2019

We booked a flight from Toronto to Newark a month before our departure date. We arrived early, got our boarding passes at a kiosk and arrived at the gate early. We did not realize that the letters in our seat assignment were not seat numbers. There was no indication on our boarding passes. At the gate they asked for volunteers to take a flight later (turns out it was the next day) for $800 compensation because Air Canada had oversold the flight. We were not interested and still thought we had seats. When we got to the gate we were told to wait and ultimately that there were no seats for us and no room on flights to Newark until the next day. We were sent somewhere else to wait in a line and told if we did not accept the $800 then that we would not get it at all.

We accepted it but argued that we had not volunteered to give up our seats and expected more compensation. They said we had to go somewhere else to make that case. We also said we wanted to cancel the flight and they said they could not do that either but would put a "note in our file". They did not inform us that we were entitled to fully cancel our flight since they had involuntarily bumped us. (See airpassengerrights.ca) We missed some important events in the conference we were going to but wanted to get there that night so we rushed home and drove to Newark. When we checked whether our return flight had been cancelled they had no record of any note.

We cancelled it online and got confirmation. We have been trying to get assurance from Air Canada that we will be reimbursed for our cancelled round trip flight and other costs incurred getting to the airport for a flight they bumped us off. So far all we get are form letter responses saying "Do not reply to this email". In future I will try to avoid Air Canada. I will use a real person instead of a kiosk to get boarding pass so at least I may get some warning if there is a problem with the seats, and though I resent it I may spend the extra money to do seat selection.

Original review: May 31, 2019

Better luck to the detail oriented. I booked my ticket online at Air Canada it said it was for Rouge (evidently the discount airline run by Air Canada). I thought nothing of it. Air Canada is always moving flights around. It was a full fare tucked in with all the other full fare options. I could have easily picked another time. It is a Saturday flight, I was flexible. Surprise! Checking later - too late to change of course. Mostly because I had not been on a Rouge flight I found that I had selected a discount airline. I choose Air Canada and typically pay a bit more because I like the in flight movie selection and extra leg room. So now I am paying more for less. Yay!

I did phone to complain. I did not have a valid complaint except the feeling of being ripped off by paying more for less and not knowing I had done so. The feeling of unfairness. They could not help except to reiterate that Rouge is part of Air Canada and it was my fault for selecting the flight. I asked to speak to a supervisor. Surprise - yes another one - evidently Air Canada no longer has supervisors that will speak to customers. The person "helping" me said that they have never had supervisors that talk to clients while she was working there. Inference felt like Never. I feel Ripped Off. Expensive ticket Vancouver to Toronto (could have gone to Europe for less) and not the one I thought I was selecting.

Original review: May 30, 2019

I would not recommend this company as it was at fault for mishandingly my booking and then made very little effort to correcting its mistake. The customer service was poor. I will never be flying Air Canada again, and I will help spread the word to my friends, family and on online that this company does not value its customers. Full story below.

Air Canada charged me after exhibiting an error message on screen saying my credit card was not charged. There was no confirmation email. I ended booking a flight with another airline as its website was not functioning. The day before my flight, they sent me a Check In Now email. Only then did I realize they had charged me for a flight that they themselves had told me was not booked successfully. I cancelled the flight and told them about their malfunctioning website and the lack of confirmation email (even in my spam folder). They did not refund me! They gave me a credit that I recently tried to use but it had a $100 transfer fee plus other ridiculous fees making the RT flight almost as expensive as without using my credit. This company had a faulty system to booking their flights and then their credit was basically unusable causing a college student to lose $300.

Original review: May 30, 2019

A ticket was booked back in January 2019 for travel from Toronto to Montreal which was cancelled by Air Canada at the last minute, still awaiting refund for 4 months and after constant requests on phone and email no concrete answers. Air Canada is the worst airline to fly.

Original review: May 26, 2019

I fly Air Canada often and I find overbooking is a very big issue with them. Today was roughly the 5th bad experience I have had. I few in from London to Toronto and they make you wait in a lobby to see your baggage confirmation. Once I realize my name hasn’t shown I inquire at the desk. They tell me it’s ok to proceed to my gate. When I arrive 10 min before my scheduled flight, I’m denied boarding. Now I’ll have to wait 7 hrs and 45 min for the next avail flight. I’m exhausted and very floored from the representatives comment of “it sounds like it’s a your country problem!”. Real nice of her to throw salt on the wound....

Original review: May 23, 2019

A ticket was booked back in Feb for travel from Vancouver to India which was cancelled by Air Canada at the last minute, still awaiting refund for 3 months and after constant requests on phone and email no concrete answers. Air Canada is the worst airline to fly.

Original review: May 17, 2019

We flew out of Vancouver and every Air Canada employee seemed very unorganized and angry. While we were waiting to drop off our luggage, an employee walked up and asked us what we were doing, when we told her she told us to “go do it then” which was so wild to me because we were literally standing in line waiting to do it. What did she want? Us to just push through the line?

Original review: May 15, 2019

Our flight was canceled.. And all I wanted was guidance as to what to do and the Air Canada employee I asked for help was very rude to me. All I wanted was info on what to do as I haven’t ever had a flight canceled. He told me to wait 15 mins and he would try to help me but after 15 mins he just walked past me and left.

Original review: May 14, 2019

I had issue of being overcharged by the reservation department. I ask if the could refund or credit me the difference. The person that dealt with issue didn't read or answer any of my questions. She just kept sending me a copy and paste response. They did very little in the way of good customer service. I told them if this is not resolved, I will not fly with Air Canada again. Customer Relations department did not care and sent another copy and paste formal email. They really don't care, as a result I told them I will never fly with Air Canada again and they were okay with this.

I wish they would actually read my email but it is evident they didn't. It was very disheartening to deal with someone in Customer Relations that has no interest in understanding their customers or keeping their business. I told her that I would post this review but again she didn't care about that either. Air Canada really needs a department that knows how to care for their customers. I hope this review will help someone.

Original review: May 11, 2019

The phone agents tried and tried again. But in the end we were stuck in a foreign country an extra 5 days, due to the mistakes of the airline agents, try after try. Call after call. It took a total of 12 hours +, On the phone with Air Canada. Not an easy feat from a foreign country in Asia. There was no option to speak to the same agent each time we called. So the story had to be repeated.

Mistake after mistake. We were turned away at the airport 3 times (3 days in a row). Unable to fly out. Our tickets not recognized at the airport counter, or other travel routing issues. It was a surprise to hear of such mistakes. Almost surreal each time we were turned away, unable to fly home. Each time we spoke to Air Canada about it, they “rebooked” for the next day. Only for us to face the same issue at the third party airline counter, the day that followed. Air Canada has inexperienced agents on the phone. It’s a dangerous service if you are trusting the airline to look after you. Be careful, if you have a choice.

Original review: May 10, 2019

I have flown with this airline out of LAX multiple times. I have experienced issues with check-in and reservation booking, and seat confirmation. Things that took more effort and stress to get fixed, but eventually turned out ok. The biggest problem is the terrible customer service. The customer service from the bag check and gate agents in LAX is the worst I have ever encountered. Recently, I had had some booking issues and I wanted to confirm that everything was resolved in the system. I wasn't agitated, I was simply being cautious.

When called up to approach both desks downstairs and upstairs, I was greeted by employees sitting together clearly annoyed with anyone who interrupts their conversation. One employee at the baggage check downstairs was so rude it felt like they were angry with me. An agent upstairs curled their brow and spoke to me like I was stupid. Neither employees even tried to answer my question. I watched other customers politely approach the counters and get treated like nuisances as well. Boarding the plane itself is always chaos. The agents do not put the boarding group number on the screen, and then yell back at people for trying to board the wrong group. They even yell at people for ASKING which group was boarding.

On the phone, the customer service reps I've spoken with are polite but apparently they are locked out of a lot of information because almost every response is "I don't know". Each rep will give you a different answer to the same question. They will assure you everything is fine and then you will find out later it's not. Each time I have had to fly with Air Canada, the flight crew has been very nice. Sometimes the headphone jacks or screens don't work, but the plane itself has always been clean.

Original review: May 6, 2019

I took a trip from Vancouver to Cancun and back last week on Air Canada. I bought business class ticket due to some health issues, so I would not have to wait in line and have a more comfortable seat and better service. I did my check in online at home but had to drop off one big suitcase in airport. When I arrived in airport, there was no booth open so I could drop off my luggage. An Air Canada employee directed me to a line that was apparently for groups. I had to stand in line for about 30 minutes and when I got to the front of the desk, the attendant told me I should stand aside as she had to serve another group.

I explained to her that I had already stood in line like everybody else, while I had business class ticket and demanded to be served right away. It took her less than 30 seconds to scan my passport, print the tag and basically comply with my request. However, she had the nerve to tell me I had to go to wait longer after I had already stood in line for a long time. Then, I proceeded to go to Maple Leaf lounge as I kept receiving notification on my phone from Air Canada application that my trip included that service. However, when I got to the lounge I found it was closed. It would open when my flight was leaving at 8:45 AM, yet they kept sending me the notification.

On the way back from Cancun, my flight was to leave at 6:50 PM but I had to check out from hotel at 12:00PM. I was counting on spending the long wait time in lounge at the airport. Yet, when I found the lounge, they told me that Air Canada no longer provided the lounge service at Cancun airport. So, while I was charged a business class fee and was entitled to the lounge service, Air Canada did not provide it both ways to and from Cancun.

They also changed my flight from regular Air Canada to their so called “Rouge” that is a downgrade from their regular planes. The plane seemed old and not clean, with the seats quite worn out and uncomfortable. There was no in-flight entertainment system. Instead, they gave me an iPad and wired earbuds with the left side not working. I would not recommend Air Canada. In future, I will make every effort to avoid travelling with them.

Original review: May 1, 2019

Air Canada posted incorrect fare class for several Sep 2018 flights. Complaint raised but absolutely no resolution or replies for 8 months now. Exhausted all other avenues of complaint with Air Canada and no care seem to care.

Original review: April 30, 2019

Worst experience in the history of my air travel. Flight delayed and no updates. Worst IT dept I guess that didn’t update the boarding pass for the new time. When I approached the flight attendant he was very unprofessional and didn’t know how to tackle the situation. I am never going to fly again with Air Canada.

Original review: April 30, 2019

I was refused to board my flight from Toronto to Madrid at the check in counter by the lady clearly because of racism. I had already checked in myself and my infant daughter who is 18 months and I paid a full ticket for her while being 5 months pregnant. I had to only drop my baggage and had already issued my online boarding pass and required nothing but baggage drop. The lady at the counter at the initiated communication refused to assist me because even at 6:35PM I should have been 2 HOURS earlier. Although when I checked in online the latest time to baggage drop was 6:55pm. The lady decided to waste more time in putting me down as my daughter cried to be held and she kept on saying, "I am sorry. I cannot help you board. The flight is closed."

Actual time of flight 7:35PM which changed to 7:55PM and later changed to 8:20PM. Upon asking how many baggages I have and I confirmed 3 checked in luggage. After which she decided to help us and told us we are overweight and that there is no time to remove content and pay $200 one for each luggage. If the flight was closed etc etc there was no consideration from her. After which she allowed us to remove content but kept insisting we should just pay $200. When we refused to pay and went on with the adjustment. She asked how old was my daughter to which I replied 18 months. She invited two more colleagues who said I cannot check in my car seat because I need it for my daughter on the plane.

She wasted time in arguing and telling me I cannot board the flight without the car seat which was intented to go on the flight but I couldn't carry it as I had a stroller, two hand luggages and a baby. Upon asking for help she spent more time wasting my time and being absolutely rude to me. Upon requesting to keep my daughter on the lap without the car seat. They said I have to change the ticket and issue a new infant ticket which costs 10% of the ticket whereas I have paid a full ticket just to get a seat for her. They refused saying there is not enough time to do so.

Throughout my experience through their inconsiderate and rude behaviour I was in tears, my daughter crying and they asked me to go and change my ticket as they cannot board me for no valid or solid reason but also stating the Air Canada reservation counter is really busy and I must come tomorrow. There was zero help and support from any of the check in counter representatives and instead their racist approach and downgrading remarks made this experience a very horrible one. I don't have a flight back as there was no assistance by the staff present at the airport and I had to pay a huge sum to taxi my luggage home.

Original review: April 29, 2019

I am so disappointed with the service I recieved today when I called Customer Service and spoke to Daniel. I gave the him some information about my ticket because I wanted to cancel it. I didn't have a chance to give him my name and the rest of my information before he yelled "how much was your ticket". I told him the amount and responded "no refund for you because it's not enough!!" Then he hung up in my ear. I was so offended I called back to speak to someone else and report this agent Daniel. Daniel again answered the phone and very rudely repeated himself and hung up the phone. I have never been talked to so rudely. This happened at 10pm April 28, 2019 1-888-914-6401 and his name is Daniel. He needs to be reprimanded for his behaviour. I am so disappointed. I wish I could put no star because it was not deserved.

Original review: April 22, 2019

I live in US close to Canadian Border and decided to try Air Canada for my travel for a conference to Europe. The biggest mistake and the worst experience I ever had. First of all, the planes and the flight service is way below anything I have tried before (in US and some international airlines). The worst experience happened on my way back from Italy (from Milan to Toronto). I and my wife filled the ETA at the airport as they recommended (the permit you need to travel through Canada).

They checked in my wife and suddenly stopped me and said your approval has not arrived yet. I had the approval on my phone and in my email and I showed it to the agent there. She refused and made a phone call why speaking FRENCH and not English so that I do not understand. They separated me and my wife and didn't allow me to board. Interestingly, when my wife arrived in the plane she said that half of the passengers boarded after her (so I had enough time to make it) and more surprisingly, someone already sat on my seat which means that they ASSIGNED MY SEAT WITHOUT PERMISSION TO ANOTHER PASSENGER.

I tried to contact them by phone and via customer service but they were absolutely irresponsible and told me I have to buy another ticket for myself (which I ended up doing). This was the worst experience I ever had. I will never try Air Canada again and not recommending it to anyone. I would try to pursue my case but again, their customer service is just as bad as their flights and services.

Original review: April 15, 2019

If you want to ruin any vacation/holiday book your flights with Air Canada! As you can see by many complaints they are never on time and their staff really don/t care. We gave ourselves two days to get to our destination which was get aboard a cruise ship, between mechanical delays and lazy staff who could not be bothered with helping us with our luggage that was in their care and US customs would not let us pass without the luggage being checked properly. The ship was held for a half hour and five minutes more it would of sailed without us. Total days of hell dealing with Air Canada on our holiday 5 out of 11 and I am still trying at this time to get this resolved, all I get is the good old corporate line of, "We are sorry to hear about your experience and a minor discount on our next flight." I will continue to pursue this until the bitter end and hope all other do the same.

Original review: April 13, 2019

March 23/2019 we travelled to Dominican Republic with Air Canada Rouge on a 4 hour flight. Although it was uncomfortable for me I managed. The same could not be said for my husband. He spent the first 3 days of our trip being barely able to walk because his knees were so sore from being crushed. We asked our Rep from Air Canada to book us preferred seating on the way home for an additional cost of $100.00. We did not have an issue with this since we know that Rouge is an economy airline, and you can find out the pitch of seat. The problem is every body type is different and some people have shorter bodies and longer legs. If you are 5"10 make sure you have longer body and shorter legs instead of vice versa because chances are you be in a lot pain after your flight.

Air Canada Company Information