Air Canada

Compare Airlines

Research top Airlines recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

In Ottawa, after our flight from Toronto to Halifax was cancelled, we encountered some of the worst customer we have ever had. After over an hours' wait, we finally got to the counter, where the female attendant was Extremely rude and obnoxious, with absolutely no sympathy for our predicament. I asked why the couple ahead of us were 1 full hour getting processed & with that, this hostile person went into a rage. We had to argue to get a night's hotel stay and the meal vouchers they gave us were worthless, as the hotel had no restaurant. They know this very well but they will do anything to "get rid" of us. Unbelievably atrocious service!!!

I had to cancel a flight to Houston due to Hurricane Harvey. That caused a flight credit of over $2196. I booked another flight to Houston for $1740 and found out that I lost the difference because Air Canada only gives you one chance to use the flight credit and you lose the difference that isn't used. Even worse I had to pay a $200 change fee that could not be paid by the flight credit. So I lost $450 and had to pay $200 on top of that. This is ridiculous. There is no reason Air Canada doesn't bank the unused portion of the credit and allow the credit to be used to pay the change fee if desired. Based on this, I will only use Air Canada in the future as a last resort. I'll use US carriers and WestJet whenever possible in the future. I thought Canadians were supposed to be friendly and helpful but Air Canada fails that test.

First and LAST experiences on Air Canada. I thought the chaos I experienced at DFW Air Canada counter could not possibly be worse, that is until my return trip a month later through YVR. On Sept 2, 2017 AC 8626 was scheduled to depart from Gate 93 at YVR. We were delayed while they shuttled the plane to the gate area, no big deal. However, they were boarding 2 other flights simultaneously, one to Seattle and one to PDX out of the same satellite gate area. Suddenly our DFW flight boarding was announced. It was total chaos. No one knew what line to stand in since there were 3 flights using the same stairwell. We were told, "Just go down there, find your plane, it's down there on the tarmac somewhere". We all shuffled down the stairs and through the only open door into a kind of canvas tunnel and up a boarding ramp. We were quickly and rudely turned away as this was the PDX flight.

Back into the tiny stairwell area, a man went upstairs and asked again where to go, was told to go "through the door marked 93". The door that said clearly "Do not open under penalty of law, Alarm will sound, Authorized Personnel Only". Back through the open door 94, avoiding the tunnel, spotting no plane anywhere near Gate 93, back inside. Told again to go thru door 93, so we did. No alarm sounded, still no plane, however the Seattle plane had moved and we could see several other planes sitting on the tarmac, 3 of which now had ramps.

Several of us trooped across an expanse of tarmac and one brave and annoyed woman hauled her carry on up the ramp. There was no attendant at the top and when she did not re-appear several of us followed her. Inside we tried to confirm that this was the Dallas flight. In return we were rudely snarled at and told to get seated, we were delaying takeoff. At no time did the flight attendant make any effort to look at our boarding passes, nor did he leave the enclosed area to confirm to people waiting below the ramp that it was the correct flight.

Once on board they announced loudly that it was the Dallas flight and if you wanted to "go elsewhere GET OFF, you already missed the Seattle and PDX flights". Another flight steward a me down the aisle, stood in the middle around seat 23 and said, "If no one is willing to honor my request we will just sit here all day. Is that what you want? It's going to be your own fault". WHAT? No one had ANY idea what he was talking about. I said, "Could you tell us what you want? I'll volunteer for anything". He told me to watch my attitude.

Someone else spoke up and asked what he wanted us to do, that we honestly had not heard any requests other than "get off if you're not going to Dallas". It seemed the flight was "out of balance" and he needed someone to move forward, 15 hands responded immediately. I have flown on many airlines all over the world over many years and Air Canada is by far the least organized, rudest, most chaotic, uncomfortable, and least customer oriented airline I have ever dealt with. Don't even get me started on the terrible, cramped, and uncomfortable fly to and from YVR to NRT.

This company is terrible. They lost my luggage, and they compensate me with a ridiculous amount and after 40 calls with agents, supervisor and manager.

I booked a ticket for my friend (doesnt speak good English) and we headed for a flight from Windsor to Toronto - on to Sarajevo. Called in the morn - all was good. Got there at 230 - flight cancelled due to construction in TO - next flight cancelled - 3rd flight overbooked leaving my friend with no options. Agents were rude when asking questions - did not suggest alternate transportation although limo was available for 300 and another airline was going to TO (found out by talking to pilot and stewardess but by then too late -tried to split rides with people but couldnt - called Air Canada direct and couldnt fly her out for two days (2 Days????). Finally found another lady who had to get to Toronto and split ride with her. Air Canada's and its agent's indifference and rudeness warrants it a 0 - worse is try to get a refund on something you didnt use through no fault of your own. Shame on you Air Canada.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Air Canada?

I am extremely disappointed in my treatment by Air Canada on the evening flight AC 8082 scheduled departure at 9:40 PM from Victoria, BC to Vancouver, BC on August 4, 2017, arrived at the airport two hours early. Soon afterwards the time between my arrival in Vancouver and my subsequent flight to Chicago was reduced to 35 minutes compared to the scheduled 55 minutes. My email account shows no messages to me after a please check in message considerably earlier in the day.

As the evening progressed, the time for the arrival of the inbound flight for my outbound flight became later to the point there were no Air Canada flights which permitted me to make my connection. But I could have if my ticket had been switched to a flight on Pacific Coast Airlines. I know airlines do not like to do such things. If this change had been made, I would have had a good chance to make my connection in Vancouver on a United Airlines flight (which also had an Air Canada flight number).

One of the gate agents in Victoria told me that he had arranged for a paid hotel in Vancouver and provided me with new reservations so I arrived home 12 hours later than I was scheduled. I was to get the hotel details from an Air Canada Customer Service representative in Vancouver. When I followed his instructions I got the runaround. I was told speaking with several such people that there were no hotel room in Vancouver or I could get a room only at a tremendous cost.

I spent the night without much success in getting sleep on some seats near the US departure area. I am 72 years old. Early in the morning it turned quite noisy. A kinder thing to have done would have been to provide some comfortable seat in an Air Canada or United Airlines lounge. It has taken me over two weeks to be able to move somewhat comfortably. In the meantime I have not been able to mow my lawn and wild animals are starting to move in. How can I trust Air Canada? I resent the fairy tales of your employees. I believe I am entitled to compensation. The series of events reflect poorly upon Air Canada and the other Star Alliance members. It was one of the worst experiences that I have had and the worst with Star Alliance airlines.

We flew back from Sandspit yesterday afternoon. Our bags didn't make it on the plane - lots of fish that had to be loaded. When we arrived in Vancouver, we filled in the necessary forms and made our way home. Air Canada baggage representative called us in the early evening saying that our bags made it on the evening flight and would be couriered via CDS around midnight. I had both phones by my bed ready for the "we are 5 minutes out" call. No call came. Nothing until noon today, when a CDS representative asked me if a 3pm to 7pm timeframe would be workable; I said of course.

I did ask her why there was no delivery at midnight and she said that CDS is not part of Air Canada and that airlines often exaggerate delivery times. 7pm came and went, then a call came in from CDS asking if a 8pm to 11pm timeframe would work. I mentioned the earlier conversation and they said they had no record. They also added that they phoned my phone numbers and left messages - I have no record of any calls/messages. They assured me that they would get the bags to me well before 11pm. It is now 10:31 pm and no bags. From my experience, both the Air Canada baggage representative and the latest CDS rep are both lying with impunity. More to come...

We flew AC 3 out of Vancouver to Narita airport in Tokyo on August 8/9. The flight was delayed 2+ hours as were all AC flights out of Asia, London, and likely others. Why can't AC be on time, like the other airlines? Because of the delay and no attempt by the pilot to make up some of the time, we missed our connector in Tokyo. No rep from AC was on hand to help us but an ANA rep for our connector was there. We were booked on a much later flight to Kuala Lumpur but at Haneda airport which meant we had to go through customs and immigration, pick up our heavy 4 bags, take a 1 1/2 hour bus ride to Haneda airport and stand in a 2 hour check-in line at ANA counters.

We lost our very expensive hotel booking in KL. Coupled with this situation, we had paid a ridiculous amount to fly premium economy only to find the seats less comfortable than many economy flights, the food almost inedible, and the entertainment old or poor. We will NEVER fly AC again and it looks like a lot of other customers had already figured this out since the plane was far from full, while we have flown on other airlines to Asia and they are always full.

We went to Toronto to celebrate 150 Year of Canada Day. On the way back, the check in desk at the Pearson Airport was very rude and inconsiderate on July 3, 2017. The fight to Heathrow departed at 09.00 Hours and breakfast was horrible as we do not eat beef. The lunch was NOT served despite the fact that we informed the air hostesses that we were diabetic. So far our complaint has gone un-noticed by Customer Relations of Air Canada. I think with the current near misses of the disasters, people should avoid flying with Air Canada.

Worst flight ever! My flight was a couple hours delayed on my return flight, causing me to miss my connection in Vancouver. I was told by the ticket agents before I flew to Vancouver that I would be provided with a hotel once I arrived in Vancouver around midnight. I arrived in Vancouver and spoke to a rude and less than caring agent at customer service who told me that they would not provide me a hotel and that I could find a pillow and blanket down at baggage claim. At baggage claim they told me that they don't provide blankets or pillows. Still trying to get home at 9 am this morning. Worst experience ever with an Airline and I fly frequently for my business, will be only flying with WestJet from now on!!!

After patiently being on hold for an hour, I was finally connected to a customer service representative that sounded like he was asleep. I gave him my information and then he hung up on me. I didn't receive a return call even though he had my phone #. The worst customer service. Long hold times and good luck if you get to talk to someone. If I could I would give zero.

About the ticket on Air Canada traveling from Atlanta to Toronto. There was a terrible accident on the highway on my way to the airport and I was 9 minutes late for my check in time. While I accept the fact that I was late and couldn't get on that flight even though the flight was delayed 30 minutes and they had plenty of time to get me on the flight. After talking to their customer non service representative I was told to come back to the airport at 1 for a 3:40 departure time. I decided to just wait at the airport until they reopen their ticket counter. When I explained my situation I was told that I could not get on the 3:40 p.m. flight without paying an additional $700 even though there were 18 empty seats on the flight. Airlines will kick you off a flight in a heartbeat if they are overbooked however if they have a half full plane flying to your destination they will refuse to let you on. Shame on you Air Canada!

Got to the airport in Miami 3 hours before departure just to make sure everything was in order-turned out not only had we too little time but also if our flight hadn't been delayed, we would've missed it, because of the length of check-in (took 2&half hours-great thing is, we got 90$ worth vouchers for 4 people). During check-in the guy told us the delay was not 1 hour but 4. Ok, we should've waited 8 hours for our connecting flight in Toronto anyway, so no problem. But as time was passing by the departure seemed to become further and further and we got no information of what was happening or when we could finally take off. The guy at the gate kept telling us he would immediately inform us in case he got any updates-something he clearly didn't do since we had to wait another 4 hours till boarding had started without knowing anything-we were lucky we noticed it because it happened all of a sudden.

During the 3 hours we only got drinks once and should've paid for the food if we hadn't told the stewardess that we had no chance of eating anything before take-off so she gave us some. After about an hour in the air we knew we had no chance catching our connecting flight so we started planning what we would do. The stewardess directed us to the self-service but after landing we insisted on giving it a last try. We saw on the screen that our connecting flight had been delayed so we had exactly ten minutes to get to a totally other part of the airport.

At first I asked a lady in uniform if she had any information if the flight to Budapest or at least could do anything to make the whole connecting process a little bit faster. After a few minutes of trying to understand each other -which was a bit weird since in my opinion my english is reasonably well and hers supposed to be at least intermediate too- she left us where we were standing without a word. Then I ran all through the airport and-thank God- I saw that the plane hadn't taken off yet. The lady at the gate was nice, she checked if our luggage was on the plane-it was (which meant if we hadn't have made it, we would've had no luggage on our "compulsory" stay in Toronto). On the plane we sat down and realized that it was not gonna be our most comfortable flight because our leg hardly had space even if we sat "properly." The seats didn't have entertainment systems-which for me is unacceptable in an 8-hour-long Transatlantic flight.

The plane was also dirty and ancient, food was not enough and unedible and we only got drinks 3 times. The crew was not bad yet very bored and careless. Somehow we survived and after landing the pilot gave us a short apology for the inconveniences-which was ridiculous in the point of what we had been through all day. All in all that was our worst flying experience ever. So thank you Air Canada for making our flight miserable and we hope that we will never have to fly with you again.

I took a flight on July 15th from Ottawa to Kelowna. When I arrive at the airport I asked for help to get my boarding pass at self check out, and she walks away! The flight from Vancouver to Kelowna I asked the male flight attendant to help me with my luggage, and he said I don't do bags! I felt like I was alone to defend for myself. I find that the customer service on Air Canada is not good! I like West Jet. The customer service is so much better! They are more than willing to help. I took Air Canada because it was a seat sale. But, next time I don't care. I will take West Jet.

After 2:45 hr check in process I am currently sitting 1 hr on a very hot plane (mechanical). No air condition with 300 others in intense heat because of inefficiencies in AC. NOT MOVING. NOT ALLOWED TO GET OFF. No end in sight. 5 AC flights in last 3 weeks. 1 was 4 hr delay (mechanical) 1 was completely cancelled 20 mins before departure. Next one rerouted 2 1/2 hours out of the way and 1 hr delay. Next one sat in the plane on the runway 1 1/2 hours. Not once have I had an even reasonable experience with Air Canada.

I booked a multicity flight on Expedia and had my return trip from Venice to Wash DC on Air Canada via Toronto. When I boarded on Venice Italy for a 9+hour flight to Toronto, I thought I had made a mistake - I had never been on such a nasty little plane for an international flight. Tiny seats that don't recline, dirty, no in-flight entertainment! Had run out of one of the two meal options, have to buy wine!!! Staff were rude and inexperienced, truly pathetic! The whole process was deceitful, nowhere was I alerted about this flight quality or that 'rouge' was their awful charter line. Really Air Canada? NEVER fly with these folk.

It should be illegal to oversell seats on aircrafts. Air Canada constantly oversells their seats and puts their paying customers on stand by, destructing plans and adding to the stress of air travel. This is the second time air Canada has bumped me off their flight due to overselling. I was bumped off a flight from Regina to Toronto causing me to miss my flight to New York and resulting in me missing a very important wedding. Once again air Canada flight 715 from NY Lga to Toronto is oversold causing me to miss my onward flight to Mexico. Air Canada is a very inconsiderate airline only interested in its bottomline rather than its customers. And should have to pay legally for the distribution it causes to its passengers' lives.

THIS IS THE WORST EXPERIENCE EVER!!! We travel to Samana last June. When we arrived at airport we found out that my wife's luggage was missing. The next day we had to go purchase more clothes. We received it about 24 hours. When we got back I put in a claim. This and after emails and phone calls more emails and more phone calls. When I sent all information that they ask to sent and I get a reply saying this is invalid email. So then more emails and phone call. All they said was sent it again and they would return my call. Nothing happen. Where is my return of our money? I can say that no one will reply to this either. I am pissed with Air Canada.

I use to travel a lot but it's my first time that I have a so terrible experience from an airline company and this is Air Canada!!! In details, I was travelling from Toronto (YYZ) to London (LHR) with the flight AC 868. This flight was a connected flight with Aegean (A3 609) and my final destination was Athens (ATH). The total waiting time in London (including boarding time for my next flight) was only 1h and 15m. The plane had a delay of almost 30 minutes. That means that when the plane landing in London, the boarding time had already began. So, it was obvious that I was missing my flight. Probably more passengers had the same problem with me. Before the landing started, I informed an air hostess about that and her truly ironic answer was that this situation wasn't her problem. By the moment that the plane landed, I asked - for second time - for help from another air hostess.

I told her if someone could help me to catch my next plane and what could I do in order not to miss my flight. The answer was again rude and ironic: "What can I do about this! When you get out from the plane, find someone to ask where is your gate!" Of course none of the air hostesses didn't ask me if it was really important for me to go back to Athens on time. None cared if I missed my job and of course none cared about how much money cost to me this plane delay! The only thing that all the people of Air Canada cared was to go early home after their work! For the history, I missed a very important meeting for my job. So, as it was expected, when I got out of the plane, the first man that I found, it was a Heathrow security that he told me that it was impossible to catch the flight (flight number AC 609), as I had to walk a lot until the next terminal.

This man told to go straight to the Departures in order not to be lost in the airport and ask from Air Canada for help and to find for me a hotel to stay until the next flight. At this moment, the time was already 22:00 and the flight was schedule for the 22:15 (there is no delay to that flight). When I went to the Departures, no one was in the desk of Air Canada. So I decided to go to the desk of Aegean. There, I found a very polite woman, that booked for me the next flight. As she tried to communicate with someone from Air Canada without any results, she communicated with the Manager of her departure. A man came to the desk and proposed me to help me find a hotel (as the next flight was on the 26th of April, at 12:15 - flight number A3 601) for the night. Of course the problem was that should pay and the next morning I should ask the money from the desk of Air Canada.

And of course I had no money with me (pounds), so I was obligated to pay with my debit card. So all my payments in London was in a very expensive rate (through the Greek Bank) and I have to pay also 2 difference commissions for these transactions (commission for the rate and commission for the transaction in a foreign country). The people in the desk of Aegean, finally found for me a hotel (as they called more than 4 hotels near the airport, but they was all full booked), they explained to me how I could go by bus to the hotel and generally did their best in order to communicate with my family in Athens and informed them that I won't go back home that day. My hardship - of course - didn't stop there. As I went to the hotel LEONARDO (I mention the name in order not to visit it), that I had already pre-pay as the hotel didn't accept otherwise the reservation, I realized that the room was awful and dirty. Of course, I couldn't sleep.

Even I couldn't took a shower in order to relax for a little. More there is no paper even in the toilet! I was only waiting for the next morning to run away from that really bad situation. I forgot to mention that my only choice during the evening for eating something, after more than 20 hours that I was on the road (of course the food on the plane was awful and the food serving was enough only for 3-4 years old child, if you needed some water you had to wait for the time that the trolley starting to serve the travelers etc etc etc) was to order something in the hotel. As they mentioned to me, the kitchen closed 10 min after my arrival in the hotel, so they could prepare for me only hamburger or cheeseburger - a kind of food that I hate.

Having no other choice, I order a cheeseburger in order to eat the bread and the cheese as I knew that I couldn't have even breakfast (the hotel price was 139 pounds for a single room without even Breakfast - as the receptionist informed me when I arrived at the hotel!). The next morning, I returned to the desk of Air Canada and asked from them to pay for me the hotel, the bus and the food. They told me that of course I deserve a refund as the arrival time was had less than one hour in order to catch my next flight, but they couldn't pay for me at the desk and that I must communicate with the customer care, when I returned to Athens. They also mention to me that I must send them the receipt from the hotel. But when I asked from the hotel to give me a receipt, they refused to me, mentioned that a travel agent had been paid and not the hotel.

Anyway, the most remarkable thing was again the rudeness and the ironic way that the woman in the desk used to speak to me. I was so angry that I told her that I am going to call my lawyer as soon as I return to Athens. She didn't respect my difficulties during all these hours and even she didn't respect my anxiety for the meeting that I lost. No need to mention, the money that paid for all these telephones from England to Greece, in order to apologized for the meeting cancellation and in order to try to find another day to rearrange the meeting - fact that finally was not possible! Once again, I returned to the Aegean desk, where the man there promised me to find what happened with the receipt of the hotel and to send it to me by e-mail in order to take my money from you. Fact that he did almost immediately!!!

Finally I arrived back to Athens, after almost 2 days! I was really tired and hungry as I haven't the opportunity to sleep or to eat because of your delay that seems to have no matter for you! On the other hand, I was obliged to carry my baggage from the airport to the hotel and back, using a bus that I was waiting in the cold for 30 min. My suitcase arrived in Athens one day later than me! Once again for the history, when I returned back to Athens, the flight of Aegean has a delay of 5 min. In order to help the passengers that had a transfer flights, they announced 3 times on the plane that ambassadors of the company would waiting for the passengers to help them to catch their flight. And as you know the airport of Athens is really smaller than Heathrow! So, you must probably can learn something from this!

After waiting almost 2 months, I received an e-mail from Air Canada with the following text! ".... As a goodwill gesture and exception a one-time discount of 25% off the base fare on my next booking at aircanada.com..." and "... This discount offer is valid for one year from the day of your response..." But the better is! "... Some of our previously discounted fares, while not eligible for the promotion, may be lower than the final price of the undiscounted fare to which the promotion applies..."!!! I wrote to them for a 3rd time, but they still refused to pay me back my expenses in London. The worst thing of all this story is the rude and ironic way that all the employees of Air Canada talked to me and of course their written answer that makes me feel the "most stupid consumer of the world" because Air Canada believes that I am from its "goodwill gesture" in order to get rid of me!!! P.S. Sorry for my English...

Delayed flight? Okay it happens but how hard is it to give me a notice? They then rescheduled my flight to next morning which cause Custom issues with Canada. I literally have to guide them through how to rebook my flight. Their representatives are not patient and would hang up my phone call. At last, both of my luggage bags were lost... Air Canada sucks!

We have been with multiple international airlines and Air Canada by far was the worst experience we have ever had. The experience started with a infant bassinet that never came. A polite inquiry to the airline stewards was met with them literally ignoring and walking away from us. I finally had to find the head steward to address this. The entire flight, they ignored the call lights if we needed anything for our infant. We arrived and one of our bags was missing. Long story short, at the end of our trip, one week later, still not even a call about the missing luggage. Over 15 calls to their baggage claims department was only met with false promises and over three promises for call backs which never happened. Avoid them if at all possible.

For the past 3 1/2 months I have been checking online on Air Canada's Website for a "sale" price on Premium Economy round trip Toronto, Ontario to Sydney, Australia. The price has been $4123 or $4124 each time I have checked. Today, I got an e-mail from Air Canada announcing "sale prices" on Premium Economy (specific destinations/dates). The "sale" price is EXACTLY the same. I spoke to reservations at Air Canada (30 minute hold on the phone of course) to be told that there is nothing that they can do, the price is this price. SHAME ON Air Canada.

Worst airline, worst service ever. Flight attendant are rude, snobby, and not friendly at all. No food for a long flight, except for porches, even though the flight was delayed for three hours after passengers are being on board. Stuck and stranded in the aircraft for that long. I will never ever in my life travel with AIR CANADA or recommend it to anyone.

I took non-stop flight from Toronto to New Delhi India on May 30th 2017. The food they served was yucky with no taste. I ate non-veg but my co-passenger was a vegetarian, he also had the same rice with few pieces of vegetables. For breakfast, they gave low quality, 2 samosas wrapped in a paper bag. I returned on Jun 6th 2017, they did not have the vegetarian food. All the vegetarians were asking for food. The worst food experience.

I have booked ticket from Air Canada looking at ticket cost on their website and talking to their booking agent. I had to call them because website was having some issue completing the booking and I was asked to call their booking dept. My booking ref # **. I called them and was told that they will definitely honor the website cost and I was on phone with them for 20 min but they could not complete my booking. So I was told I will get call from ticketing dept. to complete the booking. I received the call and completed the booking. Cost on website was $2929.42 and I was charged $3456.42. I was using Air Canada website (not any agency) and talking to Air Canada booking agent so I don't understand why I have been charged extra. I should get $527 back. I have attached my ticket receipt. I hope you can help me.

Booked a trip via Air Canada to visit my son who is in the Air Force. The dates need to be changed as he is being sent out for 6 weeks on a training course. Cancellation bought and paid for. Will not accept this explanation and Air Canada wants to increase the price of my ticket plus charge $200 per person to take 5 minutes on the computer and switch dates for me. What the hell is wrong with our airlines anymore. Since when has a military explanation with backup documentation been unacceptable. Whatever happened to common courtesy and friendly staff who want to make your trip an adventure instead of a failed expense. Anyone know of anyone I could contact to try and deal with this situation?

Today, on June 10, 2017, my aunt and I are scheduled for travel back to the US from Edmonton, Alberta. From all the travels I have made overseas including past travels to and from Toronto, never have I experienced: Check In Counter -- Issues with my passport name and USGC, Boarding Gate -- No seat assignment or zone assignment for boarding until the last minute (we booked tickets 2 months prior to our trip!!!), On Plane -- Moving hand carried luggage by flight attendant without asking if it's ok just to accommodate another passenger (What, her tickets were more expensive than mine?!) I wonder what other unpleasantries await for this flight and the next. I didn't want to put even 1 single star -- worst travel experience ever with Air Canada 176 in my entire life.

I got to the check-in desk ~90 minutes before departure, and dropped my bag ~70 minutes before flight departure (Toronto airport) but missed my flight to US due to long time to pass security and customs (systems were apparently down and neither Air Canada nor security staff gave priority to passengers with flights departing earlier).

Despite asking for help to Air Canada staff and airport security, nobody cared, so by the time I made it to the gate the flight had departed. Adding insult to injury, Air Canada charged me for getting in the next flight, blaming it on me. The staff was rude and lacked all sort of empathy, in particular the manager. Mrs. **. I'm still trying to get the fee refunded and some kind of compensation and apology, but the process takes apparently 30 days.

I had flown from NYC to Montreal for a bike festival. The airline tickets were originally purchased from United Airlines, which was reselling Air Canada flights. The flight to Montreal was fine but the flight back was an utter nightmare. It started when I arrived over an hour early for my flight. I went to the kiosks to scan my passport and the computer said that my information could not be found.

Next I got online at the United counter. Since I have a United MileagePlus account I figured they may be more helpful. The woman at the counter smiled and said she doesn't know anything about my flight because she is part of United Airlines and that I would need to go to Air Canada (thanks for the great customer service, United. I knew there was another reason why I canceled your MileagePlus Explorer visa card besides the fact that your airport security goons enjoy giving passengers bloody noses and hauling them off your planes like pigs going to slaughter).

I get in the queue for Air Canada. It is short with only 3 people (a family) in front of me. The family goes to the counter and the clerk is as slow as molasses and just keeps talking. The priority boarding line is also busy, so no chance of checking in there. 20 minutes pass and I am very nervous about missing the flight. Another 10 people have lined up behind me. I finally interrupt the clerk who won't stop yapping to tell her that I've been waiting for more than 20 minutes to check in and that my flight is at 7 pm. The crazy ** had the nerve to say to me "You're too late. You're not going to make it to your flight." I tell her that the malfunctioning kiosk and her slowness is causing me to be late. "Go to another counter to check in", she says. I nearly lost it.

I would not be this late if she hadn't spent so much time on one customer, if another counter had been open, if Air Canada's kiosks were working, and if the United desk had been more helpful. I hurry to the priority boarding line and that woman at the counter immediately finishes with the family of three and helps the people who were behind me on the line. Meanwhile I am still waiting behind another person on the priority queue. I finally lost my cool and kicked the cord post barrier that separates the queue with my bad foot with the fractured toe. Ouch.

Finally a counter is available and the idiotic man tells me there is no way I'll be able to make it to my 7 pm flight. Then I tell him how lousy customer service at Air Canada caused the delays and that the ** service from the woman at the other counter is responsible for making me miss my flight. He says nothing, gets on the phone, calls the people at the boarding gate and tells me to hurry to the gate. The gate is conveniently located at the extreme end of one wing of the departures building.

I hurry through customs and an immigration officer actually tells me not to fly with Air Canada; it's run like a Communist enterprise. The Canadian government requires that 40% of flights from Canada must be provided by Canadian airlines. Given that there's so few choices Air Canada doesn't care about customer service because it will always have business. The officer said to fly Delta instead. It's a sad day when a customs/immigration officer tells you not to fly with any airlines from his own country.

Sadly, the nightmare doesn't end here. The flight ends up being delayed due to thunderstorms in upstate New York. The gate changes to the other extreme end of the departures building (it takes 20 minutes to walk there with luggage). We sit on the runway for 2 hours and after the pilot gets clearance for take-off the plane has to be re-routed west to avoid the thunderstorm. The turbulence was violent, it felt like the plane was being driven over a road full of boulders and we were getting blown off course.

The passengers were dead silent and the shaking and falling sensation was so bad the airline staff couldn't even serve drinks or bring us snacks. I prayed that we wouldn't have a freak accident and crash into the Catskills. This was easily the most horrific airline experience I have ever had. I will never fly with a Canadian airline ever again. Some things are not meant to be run like a government-owned socialist enterprise. Airline companies top that list.

The airplane I have taken with my two children was old and disgusting. No TV screens for a long flight of over 6.5 hours. The food was so cheap and nasty. Rice and pasta in one meal with no vegetables. That was my first time to fly with Air Canada and it will be my last time. VERY DISAPPOINTED!!!

Air Canada Company Profile