2. Travel
  3. Airlines

3.9/5 (315 ratings)

About Air Canada

Air Canada Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Air Canada?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Air Canada?

Original review: April 8, 2021

I booked a round trip business class trip from Seattle to Singapore and back. After I completed my flight to Singapore, Air Canada cancelled the flight from Singapore to Seattle. They are refusing any refund saying the flight is non refundable and I can accept a voucher for a future flight. However, I do not plan to travel to Singapore again that makes this voucher invalid. Plus I now need to buy a ticket back to Seattle that I will need to pay for. How is this legal as they are not providing the service they accepted payment for and there is no change on my end.

Original review: April 1, 2021

I feel safe in an Air Canada plane and the steward service is most often good, however the very small space between the seats is crazy. I most often fly in 1st or Business class for internationals flights, however I use regular cabin seats for domestic flights. Two things about Air Canada that constantly upsets me is the set spacing and the Nickel & dime charges for luggage which has become standard for most airlines.

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 23, 2021

In January 2021 we flew with Air Canada from Calgary to Montreal. From Montreal we were supposed to fly to Costa Rica. We includes myself pregnant with our first baby, husband, and 5 animals. When we were on the flight to Costa Rica we were told to get off the plane and that they overbooked the flight. We were very upset, but the Customer Service manager told us that we would get reimbursed for the following costs: animal check-ups and vaccines, Airbnb charges that were non-refundable, COVID insurance, and any other costs that were the result of their mistake.

During telling us this she asked us inappropriate questions like, "Did you really think that you were going to fly with all 5 animals?" We had all of the animals booked by our travel agent long before the flight...We had to fly back to Calgary that same day as they also decided we were not going to stay in a hotel. Since then Customer Relations has returned a portion of the money, but only about 1/4 of what their mistake cost us. I asked them to speak to the Customer Service manager who told us we would receive a return for all of our costs and we were told that she never told us that we would. It is unbelievable to treat customers like this. We asked Customer Relations if they also interviewed the staff member that heard the manager tell us all costs would be covered and they are ignoring our messages.

We will never fly with Air Canada again and strongly advise that other people do not either as they are not honest and can seriously put your animals in danger. During the whole episode in Montreal our dog was left out in a snowstorm for close to 1.5 hours. When we got her back she and her kennel were soaked. We are looking for some ideas about what next steps to take to get completely reimbursed for this nightmare.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2021

My sister and I bought a ticket last year to celebrate with a trip our graduations (with optimism and thinking this COVID was not gonna mess without plans. How wrong we were). Last month we received a mail from @AirCanada saying that they cancelled our flight. When we called to get a refund they told us they only gave travel voucher or miles. So, we wrote to customer service.

They refunded Hers but not mine. So I wrote them again, this time they replied and said that my ticket was non refundable when I countered that they refunded my sisters which was the same fare, same destination, same day, same everything they told me they couldn’t discuss other people cases. They replied that they feel ok with the decision to refund Hers and not mine. Terrible customer service they have mi $700 on their side and my graduation trip in pieces. I would NOT recommend this airline or their customer service. And if you have no other choice then ver very careful.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2021

Air Canada canceled my flight and offer me no expiry date credit voucher, they said only wait up to 6 weeks, I called them after 3 months, the representative said due to technical issues, they don’t know how much longer it will takes, so Air Canada is scamming everyone money, never trust this company no matter how much discount they offering or you will lost money!

Original review: Dec. 25, 2020

My flight from Totonto to Moscow was cancelled due to Covid-19. No one contacted me and they rerouted me without even confirming this to me. Re-route was very bad - very long waiting hours in different airports. I asked for refund so I can travel with different airlines. They refused to provide the refund and offered me a voucher that I can use only with Air Canada. They said it will take them a few weeks to process the voucher. It was very disappointing experience.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2020

I am paying 500 more than avg price ticket to Air Canada so that waiting time should be less and choose direct flight. But Air Canada changed my flight with 13 hr waiting time and now they are not canceling my ticket and refunding money. Worst service. They don't know how to talk to customers. I will never ever choose Air Canada and never recommend anyone to choose it.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2020

Air Canada used to have excellent customer service -- phone operators who were friendly, kind, helpful & readily available. It is now the total opposite. They do not answer their phones at all anymore. I have waited on hold for several minutes only to be disconnected, my calls have been answered only by voice recordings with no opportunity to record a message, I have received only busy signals. Neither do they answer their emails for the most part — after almost 2 weeks, I received a rote response which did not address my questions. In exasperation, I left a note on Air Canada’s Facebook page & then I received a response.

The issue I was trying to resolve was that due to the Coronavirus pandemic, Air Canada canceled my family’s flights. There were no substitute flights and they charged us full cancellation fees. I do not mind paying cancellation fees when I cancel, but I think it exceptionally poor business to charge cancellation fees when the airline cancels. Air Canada maintained it was not their fault they canceled - it was the pandemic’s fault. That reasoning may very well serve them legally, but it certainly does not serve their customers.

We had also had to cancel other flights on Air Canada due to a family emergency & we paid the cancellation fees without a complaint. For their cancellation, Air Canada refused to lower their cancellation fees and offered no compensation whatsoever. I would not fly Air Canada again. When you are able to even access Customer Service, which is nearly impossible, they are rude and offer no assistance. There are plenty of other airlines, I recommend using them.

Original review: June 24, 2020

The borders are not open. You can’t fly from the US to Canada yet this crap of an airline won’t refund our tickets. I only fly this third rate carrier because they were the only option non stop to Toronto. Now they reroute a 4,5 hour flight to 23.5 hours over 2 days. But refuse to refund the tickets. And they actually say they have a customer care department. The only thing this airline offers is to show you how greedy they truly are.

Original review: June 22, 2020

I purchased a refundable round-trip ticket from Denver, Colorado to Osaka, Japan departing on July 31 from Denver to Osaka. I still intended to go until I was notified that my flight was cancelled on May 21, 2020. As per the email from Air Canada, it asked me to cancel the flight even though it was already cancelled by the airline. I did not do this because I wasn’t given an option for a full refund to my original payment method.

According to the United States Department of Transportation (DOT) which Air Canada is subject to in this case because the flight originates and ends in the United States, I’m legally entitled to a full refund on my original payment method. The email states that flights were cancelled because of COVID-19, yet Air Canada is still flying to Tokyo on the same dates July 31 - August 9 with flight numbers AC8111 and AC3.

I understand that it is the policy of Air Canada to offer a voucher, but policy does not supersede United States Law. I have called numerous times, filed a complaint with Air Canada and the US DOT, and Air Canada refuses to give me a refund. At this point, I will not vouch for this airline nor recommend to them to anyone because of how they are handling this situation.

Air Canada Company Information