1.19/5

369 Air Canada Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I try to use Air Canada as much as possible for my trips to keep my status that ranges from 25-50K depending on the year. I am accustomed to slightly above average service that they give, with flashes of kindness and incredible service to downright incompetence. This story is the latter. They lost my son’s car seat 5 days ago...I am still without a car seat. Each time I call the number on the "delayed baggage" tag they gave me, I am transferred to INDIA...so I tried French (I am Bilingual), and then got a French Indian? (You thought the English accent was hard to understand...eesh). Horrible service. It’s like talking to a record player, that skips, continually. Get your act together AC. Hire Canadian! It is tarnished your Skytrax awards...(how you got those...who knows).

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

My wife and I recently flew Air Canada from Toronto to Budapest. The flight was more than 8 hours but they never offered breakfast to their passengers. Needless to say we were hungry upon arrival. No entertainment either, meaning no TV in flight to kill the boredom of long flying hours. They served dinner right after takeoff with a couple of choices. When our turn came, we asked for chicken which was in the list of choices, they ran out and told us, "You have no choice but pasta". That would have been fine but I am diabetic and don’t need to load up on carb. They didn’t have any other choice after that.

Then it was time to take a nap... Remember there was NO entertainment at all whatsoever. My wife asked for an eye mask, the response? Those are for “premium passengers only!” What the hell Air Canada, it is an international flight for crying out loud! But I’m glad it happened so I can warn my friends and colleagues about your service. And by the way, when you charge $3.50 for your headset on your flight that has entertainment (Toronto to Portland, OR), I think it's highway robbery. They are free in airlines flying from one country to another.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

Okay so me, my brother and my grandma had a flight to go to Calgary. It wasn't direct. So we went from NYC-Toronto-Calgary... So on August 8th was our flight. Once we got to our gate in NYC we were told that our flight was delayed and I was like that's fine... But our flight kept getting delayed to the point that we were going to miss our Calgary flight. I went to speak with the customer service lady. Now I'm a very anxious person. I struggle with serious anxiety issues. So while I was talking to her she kept rolling her eyes at me and that was making me even more anxious to the point I started shaking.

I also kept asking her questions, cause I need reassurance. She legit said and I quote: "Can you stop being anxious cause I hate repeating myself". People behind me started to laugh. So I just said sorry and walked away, still confused. We got onto our plane and landed in Toronto. Now, this is where everything got messed up. We went through border control and everything. I went to customer service again and was told that our flight was delayed which was perfect. I went to my gate and NO ONE WAS THERE. I asked someone if our flight was canceled and I was told that we missed our flight. Now I was concerned about our luggage. They told us that our luggage was still here. I went to look for it and couldn't find anything.

So I started crying and having a breakdown. I called my cousin who lives in Toronto to come to pick us up. When they came they looked around the airport to find the customer service area and there was no one. We found one lady but she told us that everything is closed and that there are no more flights going out for tonight. I started crying again. My cousin lead us to the other service area and told us that our Calgary flight that WE WERE SUPPOSED TO GO ON had left about 7 minutes ago. I was screamed at the top of my lungs. We then went to another service area and we had to wait in line for 4 hours. There were only about 6-8 people in front of us. But it still took 4 hours to get through... The lady at the desk was extremely nice and helpful. She rebooked our flight for the next day. And after that everything went smooth and as planned. But in conclusion the airline was rude to us, wasn't as helpful, and made us miss our flight.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

Our group of four people took a flight to San Francisco from Vancouver two weeks ago as it was the easiest decision. Our group also did so after receiving a phone call from Amtrak informing us that my return trip to San Jose was cancelled due to a fire in Redding, California and they had no idea how long the closure would be. Since we needed to get home promptly since a family member had another vacation beginning in a few days, we decided to fly. We decided on Air Canada as they were their schedule met our requirement that it wasn't both too early or too late in the day. Another reason was that the flight arriving in San Francisco was perfect as we wouldn't be stranded at the San Francisco Airport for so long as we had someone would pick us up after that person got off work.

Long story short. I realized the following afternoon that I had mistakenly left my passport on the flight to San Francisco. I immediately submitted a lost & found request with all the information including where I sat on the flight to Air Canada. I followed it with calling them. The person that I talked to wasn't helpful and suggested that I call the San Francisco Airport which I did. The person at the airport transferred me to the local office for Air Canada. Unfortunately, the local office had closed for the day. So I called the next morning and after many minutes of waiting on the phone was asked if I had filled a request online. I told the representative that I had. The person responded with that I had done everything and that I would be receiving messages from them. Also that nothing else could be done and that I would have to wait.

It has been two weeks since I have submitted the lost & found request and in that time I have received the same generic response. First on a daily basis. Since then, it has dwindled down to once a week. And the troubling part is that it looks as if it is outsourced to a company located in Nevada called Chargerback. So there is no telling what is going on. Is Air Canada even looking for it? Do they communicate with Chargerback on a daily basis? Why the message saying something that has to do with the company's software. And is there any other way to contact someone at the San Francisco Air Canada office. Such as their phone number, I mean. It is certainly the first and last time that I will take Air Canada. They don't seem to care after you've taken a flight on their airplane.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I was scheduled to fly from LaGuardia airport NYC to Montreal on Saturday, August 11th at 8:45 am. Before I went to the airport I checked my notifications and the alert said the flight was scheduled "on time." However, while waiting at the gate the flight was twice delayed due to inclement weather. Then it was CANCELLED. AC rebooked the flight for a day and a half later. When I asked to be accommodated in a hotel that night they said "no." When I stated that I could not wait another day and a half they said that was the best they could do.

I was in tears as my daughter was waiting for me in Montreal & the Air Canada staff was completely indifferent. Finally I called AC reservations and after waiting on hold for 20 minutes, I reached someone who booked me on a Delta flight to Montreal that morning. However, the flight was at another terminal and I had to get my luggage which I had checked. I basically ran through the airport and to the shuttle bus-- luckily I made the Delta flight. It was such a stressful experience and the workers at LaGuardia airport, Air Canada, are the crew from hell who could care less about their passengers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Air Canada?

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

Last night the flight I was on from Toronto to San Francisco was delayed three hours. This was inconvenient, missing my connection, to return to Australia. No complaints about this, presumably it was best to be cautious with a potential mechanical problem. While waiting I got a $15 meal voucher which I used to get a glass of wine with my meal.

While I was in the air staff managed to re-book my to Australia (but just one leg and not the next). My gripe is arriving in San Francisco, about midnight with no arrangements made for accommodation. I was not told my bag would be forwarded to Quantas (so I waited an hour at the baggage with no bag). I was told I would get a hotel voucher, but this was refused when I got to San Francisco. The explanation was birds which are a "natural phenomena", so I was on my own in the USA and no accommodation. It took hours and a taxi into the city to find a bed. Not impressed. I took numerous vows last night never again to risk Air Canada. I thank God for Qantas.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

I frequently fly from California to Alberta, always using US airlines and WestJet except for two times. Most recent of those two was the most terrible experience. Flight from Vancouver to San Jose was a Twilight Zone disaster. Air Canada is a shabby outfit. For openers, the initial 2:12 delay was said to be caused by a "broken airplane" in the AC system.

On the dumpy 3/4-scale AC Bombardier CRJ-900 regional jet, everything is squeezed tight. I got a seat all the way in the back. Noisy (rear engines) and very scrunched. So this tall guy sits next to me and is obviously uncomfortable. He noticed a roomier seat close to the front was empty and asked the flight attendant if he could move. She said no, it was a higher payment class seat. But a minute later, the lanky guy contorted in the cramped space and easily stepped over me - I didn't have to get up - and simply went to that forward seat. The attendant wisely decided not to challenge him and have a scene.

Widespread AC delays were caused by their shortage of usable airplanes - a "broken airplane" in their system. Now they have one less as of the wee hours in that morning. We finally get off the ground, and the pilot announces, "...The bad news is that the landing gear won't retract. The good news is that it is extended so we can land." We circled around Vancouver almost 2 hours, arguably to reduce the fuel load for a safe landing (see FlightAware ACA8120 July 1, 2018). I ended up along with many others on the airport floor at 1 am with a free yoga mat, a thin blanket, and $10 food voucher. The agent said they'd already supplied 400 hotel rooms to customers yesterday and had no more. I only got 2 hours of sleep. I blew the full $10 at the airport Tim Hortons in the morning.

When we landed from the brief excursion, we had to re-enter Canada through customs as if just landing from the US, since we had crossed the US border for 5 minutes. At that late hour, there were no CBSA agents, so we had to wait for a team to show up after midnight. Then of course again in the morning to leave, another visit with the on-site TSA to leave Vancouver. Three customs visits altogether to get off the ground. Some people insisted on a hotel and they were told to book one such as through Expedia (at 1 am) and keep the receipt to be reimbursed by Air Canada. Kiss that $$$ goodbye after a tiring bureaucratic fight.

I frequently fly to Canada but never use Air Canada after my first AC flight months ago was such a mess with a 4 hour delay. That time they compensated us by passing out free headsets - cheap, tinny, 50 cent official ACA earbuds. In the noisy CRJ-900 that time, you had to turn them way up loud. There was no bass. Got a very bad impression of ACA and decided never to use them again. However, on the recent trip ACA had the only flight at a desired time and particular day. So I gritted my teeth and made what turned out to be a huge mistake. I'm mad because my intuition said to make another choice but went ahead with ACA. Some more experienced travelers said it was their worst trip ever.

Finally made it home on another decrepit, small CRJ-900 although there was another 1:30 delay for that flight of all things. I took a photo of that plane out the terminal window that shows a lot of peeling paint on the front. But at least we successfully made it to San Jose. Don't ever use Air Canada if you have subsequent connections. Air Canada currently charges for seat selection and also for all on-board snacks while soft drinks and water are free of extra charge.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I have flown 4 times with AC, and 3 times was delayed, and my luggage was lost twice. Flights are always delayed, by SEVERAL hours and no one gives a single crap about it. They just tell you "it just happens". Never happened to me with United or American Airlines. If AC would have to compensate their guests, or suffer some sort of penalty when they are late, not a single flight would ever be late! They praise themselves saying the won best customer service award... I call absolute BS. Not a single employee looks like they are enjoying themselves. No one has a smile on their face, and don't even look at you when they reply. I sincerely would rather grab the amount the ticket cost me, and flush it down the toilet than EVER flying with Air Canada again... They don't even have a section to leave reviews on their website. Probably because they know it would get flooded with bad reviews!

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

My family and I were supposed to go away to Canada for the weekend, to see relatives we have not seen for a long time. We booked a flight on Air Canada, to Toronto, for 8/2/2018 and returning 8/5/18. When we came to the airport on 08/02/2018 we waited in line for over an hour and a half to check into our flight. When our turn came we were told that our flight was canceled and we can take an 8:30 pm flight. That was absolutely fine and we asked to be put on that flight. When the agent went to put us on the 8:30 pm flight we were told that he cannot do this because our flight was actually scheduled for 08/03/2018. We showed him a printout, printed just before we got to the airport, stating that the flight was 08/02/2018. We were told that there is absolutely nothing that can be done because someone else changed our flight.

We called Air Canada and it turns out that their computer system automatically re-booked us for the following day, after our flight was cancelled; however the airline would do nothing to fix this. We tried to call a few other places to see if can have another flight to see our family, with no luck. We did not get to go see our family, who we didn't see for over 20 years. We tried calling Air Canada again and staff was incredibly rude, stating that all inquiries must be handled via e-mail and not the phone. We tried to explain our issue and the staff would not even talk to us and were very rude. We will never use them again.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

I would like to share that I am in the middle of the worst flying experience I have ever had and am incredibly disappointed. My flight #8098 from Seattle to Vancouver yesterday was delayed 4 hours, and I accordingly missed my connecting flight #896 to London. The flight they moved me to leaving tonight has now also been delayed. I’m going to be getting to London a full day late and completely missing the impotence for the whole trip, which is taking place Sat outside London.

In Seattle I was told they could not assist me with rebooking or tell me if they would be able to accommodate me with a spot on the next flight. I was told I had to talk to a ticket agent in Vancouver when I arrived. But, when I arrived at 11 pm, I was asked by Air Canada staff why I had come and told ticket staff leave at 11. I was then given a hotel voucher, $20 of food vouchers, and told to pick up my bag. But the belt was broken, so I couldn’t get my bag for an hour.

When I arrived at the hotel, there were six Air Canada passengers with vouchers and only one available room. No one had called ahead to confirm availability. We arrived at the hotel past 1 am. We were told no one could meet us with new vouchers — that we would have to check in, go through security, get a new voucher, go back through customs, and get a new shuttle to a new hotel. I ended up sharing a room with a stranger, and one couple decided to sleep at the hotel.

$20 of food vouchers is kind of ridiculous for a full day. The folks catching an 8 am flight got the same amount, and our flight was leaving 20 hours after we arrived. So we are only getting compensated for one meal? I have a medical condition that necessitates being in a window seat. I was told that there was no guarantee I would still be getting one. I was also initially told I may not get a vegetarian meal as ordered because you require 24 hrs notice for the request.

At no point did an employee seem to view as anything other than an inconvenience. Each we person we spoke to said they were not responsible for our issues. Landing in Vancouver and being told that they were confused about why I had come was shocking. I’m devastated about missing my event and the opportunity to see someone I haven’t seen for over a decade. I have severe anxiety, and the hours of not knowing if I’d be rebooked in time to make what was the key motivator for the trip was extremely distressing, as is not knowing about whether I’ll be in a window seat or facing several long hours of discomfort. Furthermore, my hotel can’t hold my reservation, so I might not have a place to stay. And I’m traveling on a tight budget.

It would have meant so much to have a representative indicate compassion and care, to say, "We’ll do our best to make sure you have a window seat," rather than say that there was no way to know. To have gotten to a hotel with enough room for me to be able to sleep privately would have really helped me rest for another long day of travel.

To have had someone apologize for us being sent to a hotel that couldn’t accommodate us would have been meaningful. To have not been intimated to that there was some mistake or negligence that sent us to speak to a ticket agent who wasn’t there when it would have been so much more convenient to—if my new flight is a day later—spend the night at home and be able to get something to eat would have been impactful. Overall, there were so many issues that I feel a complaint is warranted. Were I an EU citizen I would be eligible for compensation for this lengthy of a delay. I don’t know if I have rights as an American, but if not, that is something that should change.

Original review: July 29, 2018

Extremely poor and frustrating experience with the airline and its staff at Vancouver YVR and New Delhi airport. Was supposed to fly from New Delhi on 28th July 2018. Flight got cancelled after we were all checked in and luggage checked in. Extremely poor management of the situation as the ground staff had no clue, were unable to respond to questions and completely devoid of any empathy for the customer. Took about 4 hours to finally tell us what was going to happen with tempers flaring and multiple arguments with no responsible person to provide any answers at the airport. Took long time to get the luggage out and the wheelchair assistant disappeared without providing any info.

Arrangements to arrange stay at Delhi including transportation was extremely inconvenient and chaotic. Also hotel arrangement was poor. Next flight was next day. Made my connection for flight in 1 hour 15 min after scheduled arrival in Vancouver. Explained to staff that it would be difficult to catch connection with my handicapped mother. They kept reassuring to the contrary. Promised that they will try to get me a seat close to aircraft door and also get the wheelchair at the door but that did not happen. Plane arrived 45 min late in Vancouver. My handicap mother had to walk quite a way before we could find a electric cart. Unsurprisingly we could not get connection with customs and immigration clearance that was to be done.

Was given a standby ticket for a Air Canada flight 6 hrs later with assurances that we will get confirmation once we get to gait. The gate agent was extremely rude, unsympathetic to plight of 78 year old dementia and arthritis patient who was already breaking down with 30 plus hour delay in a trip that without delay is about 20 plus hrs and totally unhelpful. Was unwilling to talk to his managers or do anything to help other than offering a booking for another Air Canada flight another 4 hrs later.

Unprofessional, poor basic human concern, unhelpful, poor staff training and culture and total disregard to basic human decency is what summarized my experience with Air Canada. This is the first complaint that I am putting in for anything in my 48 years of existence and I am a physician fairly well traveled with extensive experience in dealing with multiple entities and people throughout my life. Never had such a horrible experience till now.

Original review: July 24, 2018

Our experience with Air Canada, worst experience of our life... More and more, we are hearing about bad passenger experiences in North America, where airlines are going way too far claiming safety and security as an excuse to cover bad behaviors from their teams. Here is a story I would like to share about our flight with Air Canada this week-end... a nightmare. First of all, let’s give more details about the context. We are a family of 6, with kids from 15 to 2 years old, traveling with an emotional support animal. As we are expats here in San Diego, we are very used to travelling overseas with the kids. We all fly at least 4 times per year on long flights and we never experienced any issues. I’m a very frequent flyer, used to cross the globe every month for my job... So we are really not novice when we are talking about flying.

So here is what happened: We were booked for our flight back to San Diego at 10:25am, landing at 11:25am in Vancouver, and a second flight from Vancouver at 1:10pm to San Diego. So we had almost 2 hours between the 2 flights which was enough to commute in Vancouver. Way after we booked our tickets, Air Canada rescheduled the flight at 12:55pm... We left our house in France at 7am this Saturday, flying with Air France from Paris to Vancouver, then connecting from Vancouver to San Diego. The first flight went great. We took off around 10:50am for a 10-hour flight in business class. Of course for the little one, hard to have him sleeping as it was a day flight.

As our flight was slightly delayed, we rushed in the airport to Air Canada check-in counter. We were there at 12:05am, a little bit short, but the airport was very quiet at that time. The agent at the counter took forever and though we were flying to San Diego Chile... her English was very poor. The manager was on lunch break, and the time she appeared, it was too late and they rebooked us on the 7:55pm flight. Imagine the whole family, after such a long transcontinental flight, 9 hour jetlag, and the little one who just turned 2 years exhausted... Now we have to wait at the airport for 8 hours. No help, no humanity, nothing... and this flight was delayed and left the gate at 1:08pm. We really, really had plenty of time to make it, they just didn’t make it happen.

Now the worst part of the story... Our little one was tired, very tired and was sleeping at the time of boarding. He woke up in a very bad mood when we took him to the airplane and was crying...like a baby. We were split with the kids on 3 different rows. My wife sat with him, me next to them and the other kids behind. Once boarding was completed, a flight attendant came to us and asked us how old he is. He turned 2 years 2 weeks ago. She told us to sit him on his seat as this is the procedures. The baby was very very upset and crying a lot, my wife had him in her arms to try to calm him down. She asked her if she could keep him for take off as he was in a very bad mood, and I told her about our long flight and very long wait at the airport, and the flexibility other airlines are giving in this case.

She became very aggressive to my wife while we were explaining her the situation... and started arguing with us. You know what it is when a mother tries to protect her child. I thought her role would have been to calm down the situation, but she preferred to add oil on fire. At the third (aggressive) request from her, my wife complied and put the baby on his seat, and of course, he started crying again, but he was on his seat. A few minutes later, everything was fine but when she realized that our 11 years old daughter was sat at an emergency exit (that's the seat they gave us) she came back to us and told us to exit the aircraft. I tried to calm down the situation and told her it was quite excessive, and that the baby was on his seat. She responded that if we don’t leave the aircraft right away, she would call the police. The captain, who is the decision maker, never came to us neither to have our version or to calm down the situation

What a shame in front of our kids, in front of the other passengers. Everybody was shocked and so sorry for this situation. We left the airplane, saw a manager who went to the flight attendant who justified her decision because we only complied at the 3rd request... (We have that on a video...) and told us he couldn’t do anything for us. So they left a six member family, exhausted at 8pm, with absolutely no assistance at the airport. We booked on our cost 2 hotel rooms where I dropped everybody before going to ticketing. They were only able to book us to LAX the next day, giving us a 3-hour drive on top of this awful experience.

Since we are back, we are still trying to recover and our baby is sick, going to the pediatrician tomorrow, and my wife so scared to travel again. I’m not the kind of person to complain for nothing, but I didn’t even imagine this kind of situation would happen. These people have way too much power and took a decision that was absolutely not justified. She just didn’t want to deal with a baby during an evening flight... and they turned our journey into a real nightmare.

Original review: July 21, 2018

I’m a 82 year old person who has a passion for travel. I have flown with most of the major airlines and lesser aircraft. My first experience was in 1961 from London to Paris on an aging Dakota aircraft. After reading a lot of negative reviews of Air Canada I approached my recent trip from Brisbane Vancouver with Air Canada with trepidation expecting the worst. Was I mistaken? The crew were so cheerful, helpful and couldn’t do enough for us. The food was as good or better than I have had on other aircraft. From my experience I fully recommend Air Canada and I would definitely fly with them again.

Original review: July 19, 2018

I will admit we haven't flown that much, but our experience with Air Canada on June 13th in Toronto was horrible. We started off from Atlanta and finally got to Toronto International Airport and being disabled we had help to get us to our gate. As we were about to board they pulled us out of line saying since we were from the USA we would have to go through additional screening of our luggage and we were not allowed to board. We were told that we would have to wait until the next flight which was three more hours. I asked to talk to the gate manager and he asked the rude gate employee were we there on time and she said yes.

Tomas was a very nice man and explained that due to all of the delays that our bags were not able to go through customs in time for us to board our plane. We were also told by the rude gate attendant that we would be unable to sit together on the next flight. We asked Tomas and he looked at the computer and shook his head and did something and then told us that wouldn't be a problem. We finally reached St. John's NL about 7 hours late and totally exhausted. We were celebrating our 40th anniversary and it will be one we won't forget and will forever leave a bad taste and opinion of Air Canada. We did complain to AC and they came back with a $150 CAD each for our 7 hours and getting involuntarily bumped from our flight. Thankfully we flew Delta back. I can only assume we were treated like this due to being Americans. The people of St. Johns were delightful and once there enjoyed our trip.

Original review: July 9, 2018

I submitted a request to Air Canada (through their website) for a receipt for a flight I recently made but did not receive an email acknowledgement about the request. I submitted a second request a week later and with the same result (there was no email in the trash file). I called Air Canada and was told that they do not send email responses to requests like mine and that their response to my request typically takes 25 business days. I'm not impressed by either Air Canada's unwillingness to send out an email response to my request or their incredibly long response times.

Original review: July 7, 2018

Air Canada was incredibly rude and harsh when I missed my flight when I arrived at the airport. I take part of the responsibility, however the frustration that caused me to miss my flight was in large part due to not being able to connect with Air Canada after many repeated efforts and messages, prior to my return flight home. Then I confused the A.M. P.M. time which has never happened to me before and I've travelled frequently. Air Canada took full advantage of this by charging me 2 full 2 way return fares for 1 return flight.

After arriving home they've been giving me the runaround for 2 1/2 months. And it seems they hire front liners in their Customer Service department possibly at minimum wage, some of whom you're not sure they understand what you're saying in English and are coached on how to get rid of people who've been mistreated or had a bad experience. A total departure from the professionalism of Air Canada in the past. Apparently confusing 24 hr and the 12 hr clock is a very common problem and Air Canada is using it to their full advantage to gouge people to the maximum.

Suggestions: I wonder if they've thought of 12 hr time in brackets underneath the 24 hr time on tickets. At the least Air Canada should be available at a phone numbers where they can be reached overseas as they assure you they are. If the mistake occurs charge a reasonable ticket change fee and not gouge and take full advantage of their customers. Will they listen??

Original review: July 2, 2018

We live in USA and I brought my underaged daughter to fly with guardian (our friend) from Toronto to Paris with connecting flight to Belgrade. Flight was overbooked, so Air Canada staff had decided to separate my 13 years old daughter from her guardian, and to keep my little one overnight at Toronto Airport and to get her on next day flight through Switzerland, alone. She would have to spend night at Toronto airport with Air Canada appointed guardian, as I drove back to Michigan when they passed security check.

After us insisting, she was brought back to guardian and they flew to Paris together. She has days layover in Paris now, as they do not have available seats for her and on top of that, Air Canada lost their luggage too. So, instead of sending your kids to horror house on Halloween, send them to fly on Air Canada. One more thing, Air Canada does not have "human customer relationship service". You will be greeted by friendly website survey...

Original review: June 28, 2018

I don't usually do this but I had to express my frustration and anger with this ** airlines. On June 14 a family of 4 we had a flight from Toronto to San Diego, the flight depart at 8:35 am. We were at the airport 2 hrs and half before the departure time as we were to check-in by using the machines. There was an error because one of the names was spelled wrong however we had to go the receptionist and it took some time to fix it and then she was like, "You can't do check ins because you're late by 5 minutes." We were like, "Ok what should we do now?" She told us to go to the service and talk to them if they can let us to do check-ins. So we went to talk to the service lady and she said "you have missed time for the check ins by a couple of mins so you won't be able to fly to San Diego". She was rude and not cooperative. My sister was crying and I was frustrated and my parents were confused because they didn't know what was going on.

So we asked her if there is any other options that we can get to fly San Diego. She said there is flight from Toronto to Los Angeles and from Los Angeles we can either take a train or a bus she recommended to get to San Diego. We asked how much time will it take from LA to San Diego. She said only 2 hrs which she was lying to us big time to book this flight to spent another 600$ on top of our 13000 original flight tickets. We went to LA and asked about transportation. They told us it's going to take at least 4 hrs to get to San Diego, we were shocked because the lady told less than 2 hrs and we didn't want to miss time because we had a family wedding. We were desperate so we had to book a flight from LA to San Diego and spent another 14000 US for 40 min trip which is insane. We even told the LA customer service about it and they were in shock.

This was one of the worst day of my life, my parents were tired of traveling and walking through terminals carrying packages and more than 2000$ spent because we missed the check-in by a couple of minutes and we still had almost 2 hrs before the departure time and also being lied to by one of your representatives. Air Canada you should be ashamed of yourself and your regulations. I honestly don't know how you're still in service, I hope someone takes action and do something about it because it looks like I'm not the only who was dissatisfied about the service you providing.

Original review: June 27, 2018

Purchase business class ($3000 TICKET) for comfort while I was not feeling well, after I pass all security...on Air Canada gate business section they ask me to remove my hat... For that reason I left my bag in front of gate with my info; flight no, name...but same employee did not bother to give it to me!? My transfer was an old plane. No business class, food was garbage so I had a juice. No dinner.

On the way back also Air Canada dinner was rotten, 13 hour I had a Kit Kat and juice? Business class there was no food during transfer - 18 hour no food. Flight was late over 1 hour and no one tell the passenger, I went 3 times to gate to make sure I am in right gate and every time they say shortly! Air Canada staff inside airplane were good -- but with RUDE customer service, bad management. How can improve the service? My wife and me put bad review on China website with over 1 million hit/day. You purchase business class for comfort, Air Canada make a hell of it for you. Harassment at the gate, don't give your bag, no dinner on board... Bad name for Canadian people and country, not having a proper management.

Original review: June 24, 2018

Hi, please give me few minutes, and read the story of my experience with "Air Canada". Despite some bad reviews of their customer service, sometimes the cheaper rates is what keeps them alive. Previously I had fly couple of times with Air Canada, since I don't really care about customer services; I never had much complaints about them. But this last time, they screwed my entire journey and refused to take any responsibility about it. So I usually plan my trip ahead of time, just so to not pay higher rates. Now my mom had been sick for about six months, and I knew I have to visit her maybe for the last time.

I booked my tickets in the month of March for flying back home in May (after finishing my finals). But time had something else in its mind and I was told to visit ASAP, I rescheduled my flight to the earliest day possible, paid around 2100CAD (usually it is under 1300$, also I am a student at University of Windsor, this money was a lot beyond my budget). The flight was originally supposed to take me from Toronto to Ahmedabad in roughly 22 hours. The weather was sunny, everything was clear, but due to some reason beyond my intelligence; flight from Toronto took off late which made me miss my connecting flight in London. Now without any confrontation or explanation, they directed me to some terminal for my connecting flight.

After changing the terminal, I realized my flight departs after 6 hours. Plus this flight wasn't direct. I have one connecting flight in Mumbai. WHERE MY LAYOVER WAS 12 HOURS (I am not even exaggerating). I called Air Canada (using my Canadian sim card in roaming) to let them know about my situation. Again the call center agents are infamous about their rudeness, so I started calmly. They said they only take responsibility for dropping you to your destination and do not promise about the time frame. Angrily I said this is not fair in any way and asked for a refund. They asked me to cancel my tickets and be on my own then. (This is exactly what he said.) So now I reached Ahmedabad in roughly 40 hours (unfortunately my mum have passed away by then, when I was in London itself; so I spent layover of 12 and 6 hours with that information in my head, also in Mumbai I had internet for 45 minutes for my 12 hrs layover).

I have called Air Canada several times after that for getting any reimbursement, finally I emailed them a lengthy letter to which they responded by offering me a discount of 25% ON MY NEXT FLIGHT WITHIN ONE YEAR FROM AIR CANADA. Which is as ridiculous as it sounds also useless. Whole point of booking a last minute flight is to serve the purpose of flying immediately. That's why people pay even double the rates. For some Canadian resident or full-time worker or businessmen 2100CAD might not be a big amount. But for a student paying 30000CAD for his 16 months course at university, this amount totally shocked me. Not giving a good in-flight customer service is a different thing, and not caring about their customer is another thing. Thank you for reading, sorry if this offended you in any way.

Original review: June 21, 2018

I have had bad experiences with other Airlines, but never to the point where I would feel the need to speak out. Honestly, this will be my last time flying with this Airline. Out of all the staff that I came across, only two were very helpful and understanding. It seems like those who raise their voices get the most done, just an observation. The manager of the ticket area at the check-in didn't seem to care as he was busy talking and laughing with fellow co-workers. When I told him I had a question, he told me to hold on. Well I held on for about 10-15 minutes. In that time, I was able to call the airline and found out that after 45 minutes they could no longer proceed to check us in. Well funny thing is we were there in time but that time was being used up as we waited for said manager to finish "talking". Meanwhile a kind clerk took care of us and listened to us.

Honestly, that’s all we wanted; someone to help and explain to us what our options were. Waiting for him was our biggest mistake. When he decided to come back to us we told him we weren't happy with the way he treated us. He apologized and said he was too busy to remember us. (In short, I’m paraphrasing.) By now it was 1:30 pm and too late to get through for real. The clerk was so helpful and nice. I wish she could get recognized for her great customer service. Out of many only one cared and made a difference. In the end, we missed our flight and I missed work for nothing. With an hour and ten minutes to spare and still got nowhere due to wrong information and some workers too busy to care.

Yes, we were cutting it close being there an hour and ten minutes before our flight, but with everything that happened it added to the delay. Thank you Air Canada Rouge for your less than satisfactory service. It won't happen again. I will rate this Airline with a one for the one who cared to help and listened. PS the other worker who helped wasn't a part of the airline. Yet still I thank her.

Original review: June 14, 2018

I’ve been flying for years and I am not totally fed up with this airline. They are rude, unresponsive and have terrible customer service. The stewardesses don’t seem to care about the customer and the airport attendants are rude. I highly suggest that anybody who cares about the way they are treated fly with WestJet.

Original review: June 11, 2018

I have traveled with Air Canada at least a couple of times every year. While in the past, I have not been fond of this airline because of their service, I still gave it the benefits of my doubt. In our recent trip travelling from Vancouver to Zurich and Venice, we found our negative feelings about the airline totally justified. On the flight to Zurich, a male attendant hurriedly stepped on my shoe without apologizing. On the flight from Venice to Vancouver, the first leg (YVR-YUL) was delayed by an hour, we arrived at Montreal airport about 25-30 minutes late. The second leg from YUL to YVR was also delayed for 40 minutes because they needed to change an electronic module as scheduled maintenance. The plane arrived at Vancouver late for about 30-35 minutes.

What is even worse was I asked for a blanket at the beginning of my flight because I was feeling cold inside the cabin because of the air conditioning, I was flatly rejected by a stern-looking attendant who told me only preferred seats have blankets and she didn't even suggest an alternative. I had to bear with the uncomfortable cold cabin for the entire journey for four hours. Given the multiple instances of poor service, I am seriously considering not flying with Air Canada anymore.

Original review: June 9, 2018

Truly terrible. Delays, no communication, more delays, more non communication, lost baggage for 5 days, no compensation, no explanation. Rude gate attendants. This is consistently our experience with Air Canada.

Original review: June 9, 2018

I had chosen Air Canada solely for their baggage allowance for Brazil. I was moving here and needed to take more than 23 kg, they apparently allow up to 32 kg for Brazil. I was leaving Chicago and was supposed to layover in Toronto to São Paulo. Even though Toronto is the opposite direction I did this to save money on baggage fees. When I arrived at Ohare 6 hours early they said my flight was canceled. I had no notice even though I signed up for email alerts. Luckily I was able to be rebooked on United, but I explained that the reason I booked Air Canada was because of my heavy bags. The employee at check in assured me that I would be reimbursed and gave me a card with contact info on it. I kept my receipts, and had to pay $700 just for my bags. It was okay though because I was going to be reimbursed.

I submitted my paperwork through the online system once in Brazil, Air Canada has no phone customer service number. I received an email saying my inquiry had been received and that I’d hear back in 30 days. 30 days passed, so I called them again. They said I’d receive a callback. Still nothing. Months later and numerous calls of me waiting on hold calling long distance from Brazil and they send an email saying “this was our response must have gone to your spam folder”. I’d been checking my spam and they sent nothing. They didn’t even have the courtesy to look at my issue and sent a boilerplate response.

It’s now 5 months later. I haven’t been reimbursed even though I’ve contacted them numerous times. They flat out lied to me and then we’re extra rude and dismissive in all correspondences. I’ve never had a worse experience with an airline. I moved here to Brazil to get married and the last thing I have needed the last 5 months is to get screwed over by Air Canada. They are officially the worst airline I’ve ever dealt with and I feel disrespected and offended. I need my money back. There’s no reason I should have to pay for their incompetence and horrible service. I’ve filed complaints with the Department of Transportation but you can’t even talk to somebody in person at Air Canada to remedy the situation. Deplorable and reprehensible in every way.

Original review: June 3, 2018

Avoid Air Canada at ALL COST. We thought they were reliable compared to others, turns out they are worse and have no integrity. Never have we experienced this before. They just cancelled/rebooked our flight and failed to give us notice. NO EMAILS, NOTHING! Now we get to the airport early only to discover that flight is 5 hours delayed. We are now late for an important event that we are trying to get to. Darius, one of the managers was indifferent. The check in clerk says that Darius could do something about it. However upon speaking with him he is merely deferring us to fill out a form in the website, to hopefully have someone get back to us and address our issues. NEVER AGAIN. People around the airport who had Air Canada apps were supposed to get updates, and even they never got any notice!

Original review: June 3, 2018

In November 2017 I bought a low-fare round ticket from Calgary to Toronto ($474 CAD). Later I had to cancel my flight, to my surprise, my money will not be reimbursed, I received a credit for a future flight with Air Canada. If that condition is stated during the purchasing process is not easy to find it because I never saw it. In June 2018 I am trying to use that credit to buy a ticket from Toronto to Calgary, the result, I have to pay $251 CAD additional because they charge me a fee because I change from round ticket to a one-way ticket, plus a fee for changing my original fly.

The result I will pay $725 CAD for the cheapest class in a flight Toronto-Calgary which is usually around $350 CAD. What a rip-off!!! Here is my advice, be extremely careful with the Air Canada low fares, they will charge you for everything, luggage, change in schedule, destination, name on the ticket etc. To compare I will say that recently I flew with West Jet and when I cancelled a portion of my trip, they return me some money.

Original review: May 11, 2018

I recently flew on an Air Canada business class ticket, round-trip from Washington DC to Mumbai, India (via Toronto). I had the worst experience with my baggage that I have ever had on any trip in my life (and I’m a road warrior that frequently travels to India for work). First off, amazingly enough, Air Canada lost my bags on BOTH directions of the flight! And on the outbound leg, I did not get my bags until nearly 72 hours after I had landed!! It certainly takes a lot of creativity and hard work to lose two checked bags in both directions – maybe I’m supposed to pay extra to make sure my bags arrive when I do?!

Losing the bags on the outbound leg was particularly frustrating and annoying as I was only in India for 10 days for work and was supposed to travel the next day to a couple of other cities in India. So, I had to scramble to buy clothes, toiletries, a suitcase, etc for my domestic travel and basically lost the better part of a day dealing with this hassle and inconvenience.

Then, to add salt in the wounds, Air Canada’s baggage resolution center has rejected the majority of the receipts I submitted for reimbursement, including the suitcase I had to purchase for my 3-day domestic trip that morning. Maybe they think I should have stuffed my underwear, socks, shirts and toiletries into my Dell computer bag? Or maybe they think I should have simply worn the same shirt, underwear and socks for 3 days in the Indian heat? They also rejected several of my receipts for clothes because they were not detailed enough (I guess the person who created their policies has never gone shopping in tiny stores in a 3rd-world country!).

It is clear that Air Canada’s lost baggage policies are nonsensical and that the department lack common sense as well as any sense of customer service. This was an unimaginable experience given what I was expecting, especially in business class! Not only did I have to spend hours dealing with my lost bags in Mumbai, I then have had to spend hours dealing with Air Canada to at least get some reimbursement of my expenses! If you do travel Air Canada in the future, my recommendation is to NOT check in ANY bags since my experience is that the probability that your bags will arrive in your destination when you do is around zero.

Original review: May 8, 2018

My husband, grandson and myself were traveling from Toronto to Tampa. Our flight was delayed just over an hour which isn't a big deal as everytime I have gone with Air Canada it's delayed. When we were able to put our trays down for drinks and food I noticed garbage in the pouch in front of our seat and our tray were dirty and sticky. I asked the flight attendant for something to wash it up. She told me to go to the bathroom and get a wet paper towel and clean it. RUDE. When I put in a complaint I received an email that they passed it on to another department which I haven't heard from. This was Feb 6 2018. Absolutely disgusting, I will never fly with Air Canada again.

Original review: April 26, 2018

After e-mail communication, discussing my missed flight due to flight delays for many reasons. De-icing, line up of planes to get to gate, waiting to be towed in, extra long wait through security line up for USA flight, and 40 min walk from gate to security, the 1 hr 10 min connection time was not enough. They got us on a later flight to our destination in Miami, which arrived too late for our cruise embarkation. We had to stay over night in Miami as luggage was delayed 24 hrs. This delay cost us lots financially. Air Canada, refused to accept any accountability for delay but did give me 15% discount off 4 pax tickets. I'm disappointed at the way this was handled. There was no one we could talk to in person, only email.

Air Canada Company Information