1.13/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

388 Air Canada Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 24, 2018

Our experience with Air Canada, worst experience of our life... More and more, we are hearing about bad passenger experiences in North America, where airlines are going way too far claiming safety and security as an excuse to cover bad behaviors from their teams. Here is a story I would like to share about our flight with Air Canada this week-end... a nightmare. First of all, let’s give more details about the context. We are a family of 6, with kids from 15 to 2 years old, traveling with an emotional support animal. As we are expats here in San Diego, we are very used to travelling overseas with the kids. We all fly at least 4 times per year on long flights and we never experienced any issues. I’m a very frequent flyer, used to cross the globe every month for my job... So we are really not novice when we are talking about flying.

So here is what happened: We were booked for our flight back to San Diego at 10:25am, landing at 11:25am in Vancouver, and a second flight from Vancouver at 1:10pm to San Diego. So we had almost 2 hours between the 2 flights which was enough to commute in Vancouver. Way after we booked our tickets, Air Canada rescheduled the flight at 12:55pm... We left our house in France at 7am this Saturday, flying with Air France from Paris to Vancouver, then connecting from Vancouver to San Diego. The first flight went great. We took off around 10:50am for a 10-hour flight in business class. Of course for the little one, hard to have him sleeping as it was a day flight.

As our flight was slightly delayed, we rushed in the airport to Air Canada check-in counter. We were there at 12:05am, a little bit short, but the airport was very quiet at that time. The agent at the counter took forever and though we were flying to San Diego Chile... her English was very poor. The manager was on lunch break, and the time she appeared, it was too late and they rebooked us on the 7:55pm flight. Imagine the whole family, after such a long transcontinental flight, 9 hour jetlag, and the little one who just turned 2 years exhausted... Now we have to wait at the airport for 8 hours. No help, no humanity, nothing... and this flight was delayed and left the gate at 1:08pm. We really, really had plenty of time to make it, they just didn’t make it happen.

Now the worst part of the story... Our little one was tired, very tired and was sleeping at the time of boarding. He woke up in a very bad mood when we took him to the airplane and was crying...like a baby. We were split with the kids on 3 different rows. My wife sat with him, me next to them and the other kids behind. Once boarding was completed, a flight attendant came to us and asked us how old he is. He turned 2 years 2 weeks ago. She told us to sit him on his seat as this is the procedures. The baby was very very upset and crying a lot, my wife had him in her arms to try to calm him down. She asked her if she could keep him for take off as he was in a very bad mood, and I told her about our long flight and very long wait at the airport, and the flexibility other airlines are giving in this case.

She became very aggressive to my wife while we were explaining her the situation... and started arguing with us. You know what it is when a mother tries to protect her child. I thought her role would have been to calm down the situation, but she preferred to add oil on fire. At the third (aggressive) request from her, my wife complied and put the baby on his seat, and of course, he started crying again, but he was on his seat. A few minutes later, everything was fine but when she realized that our 11 years old daughter was sat at an emergency exit (that's the seat they gave us) she came back to us and told us to exit the aircraft. I tried to calm down the situation and told her it was quite excessive, and that the baby was on his seat. She responded that if we don’t leave the aircraft right away, she would call the police. The captain, who is the decision maker, never came to us neither to have our version or to calm down the situation

What a shame in front of our kids, in front of the other passengers. Everybody was shocked and so sorry for this situation. We left the airplane, saw a manager who went to the flight attendant who justified her decision because we only complied at the 3rd request... (We have that on a video...) and told us he couldn’t do anything for us. So they left a six member family, exhausted at 8pm, with absolutely no assistance at the airport. We booked on our cost 2 hotel rooms where I dropped everybody before going to ticketing. They were only able to book us to LAX the next day, giving us a 3-hour drive on top of this awful experience.

Since we are back, we are still trying to recover and our baby is sick, going to the pediatrician tomorrow, and my wife so scared to travel again. I’m not the kind of person to complain for nothing, but I didn’t even imagine this kind of situation would happen. These people have way too much power and took a decision that was absolutely not justified. She just didn’t want to deal with a baby during an evening flight... and they turned our journey into a real nightmare.

Original review: July 21, 2018

I’m a 82 year old person who has a passion for travel. I have flown with most of the major airlines and lesser aircraft. My first experience was in 1961 from London to Paris on an aging Dakota aircraft. After reading a lot of negative reviews of Air Canada I approached my recent trip from Brisbane Vancouver with Air Canada with trepidation expecting the worst. Was I mistaken? The crew were so cheerful, helpful and couldn’t do enough for us. The food was as good or better than I have had on other aircraft. From my experience I fully recommend Air Canada and I would definitely fly with them again.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: July 19, 2018

I will admit we haven't flown that much, but our experience with Air Canada on June 13th in Toronto was horrible. We started off from Atlanta and finally got to Toronto International Airport and being disabled we had help to get us to our gate. As we were about to board they pulled us out of line saying since we were from the USA we would have to go through additional screening of our luggage and we were not allowed to board. We were told that we would have to wait until the next flight which was three more hours. I asked to talk to the gate manager and he asked the rude gate employee were we there on time and she said yes.

Tomas was a very nice man and explained that due to all of the delays that our bags were not able to go through customs in time for us to board our plane. We were also told by the rude gate attendant that we would be unable to sit together on the next flight. We asked Tomas and he looked at the computer and shook his head and did something and then told us that wouldn't be a problem. We finally reached St. John's NL about 7 hours late and totally exhausted. We were celebrating our 40th anniversary and it will be one we won't forget and will forever leave a bad taste and opinion of Air Canada. We did complain to AC and they came back with a $150 CAD each for our 7 hours and getting involuntarily bumped from our flight. Thankfully we flew Delta back. I can only assume we were treated like this due to being Americans. The people of St. Johns were delightful and once there enjoyed our trip.

Original review: July 9, 2018

I submitted a request to Air Canada (through their website) for a receipt for a flight I recently made but did not receive an email acknowledgement about the request. I submitted a second request a week later and with the same result (there was no email in the trash file). I called Air Canada and was told that they do not send email responses to requests like mine and that their response to my request typically takes 25 business days. I'm not impressed by either Air Canada's unwillingness to send out an email response to my request or their incredibly long response times.

Original review: July 7, 2018

Air Canada was incredibly rude and harsh when I missed my flight when I arrived at the airport. I take part of the responsibility, however the frustration that caused me to miss my flight was in large part due to not being able to connect with Air Canada after many repeated efforts and messages, prior to my return flight home. Then I confused the A.M. P.M. time which has never happened to me before and I've travelled frequently. Air Canada took full advantage of this by charging me 2 full 2 way return fares for 1 return flight.

After arriving home they've been giving me the runaround for 2 1/2 months. And it seems they hire front liners in their Customer Service department possibly at minimum wage, some of whom you're not sure they understand what you're saying in English and are coached on how to get rid of people who've been mistreated or had a bad experience. A total departure from the professionalism of Air Canada in the past. Apparently confusing 24 hr and the 12 hr clock is a very common problem and Air Canada is using it to their full advantage to gouge people to the maximum.

Suggestions: I wonder if they've thought of 12 hr time in brackets underneath the 24 hr time on tickets. At the least Air Canada should be available at a phone numbers where they can be reached overseas as they assure you they are. If the mistake occurs charge a reasonable ticket change fee and not gouge and take full advantage of their customers. Will they listen??

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Air Canada?

Original review: July 2, 2018

We live in USA and I brought my underaged daughter to fly with guardian (our friend) from Toronto to Paris with connecting flight to Belgrade. Flight was overbooked, so Air Canada staff had decided to separate my 13 years old daughter from her guardian, and to keep my little one overnight at Toronto Airport and to get her on next day flight through Switzerland, alone. She would have to spend night at Toronto airport with Air Canada appointed guardian, as I drove back to Michigan when they passed security check.

After us insisting, she was brought back to guardian and they flew to Paris together. She has days layover in Paris now, as they do not have available seats for her and on top of that, Air Canada lost their luggage too. So, instead of sending your kids to horror house on Halloween, send them to fly on Air Canada. One more thing, Air Canada does not have "human customer relationship service". You will be greeted by friendly website survey...

Original review: June 28, 2018

I don't usually do this but I had to express my frustration and anger with this ** airlines. On June 14 a family of 4 we had a flight from Toronto to San Diego, the flight depart at 8:35 am. We were at the airport 2 hrs and half before the departure time as we were to check-in by using the machines. There was an error because one of the names was spelled wrong however we had to go the receptionist and it took some time to fix it and then she was like, "You can't do check ins because you're late by 5 minutes." We were like, "Ok what should we do now?" She told us to go to the service and talk to them if they can let us to do check-ins. So we went to talk to the service lady and she said "you have missed time for the check ins by a couple of mins so you won't be able to fly to San Diego". She was rude and not cooperative. My sister was crying and I was frustrated and my parents were confused because they didn't know what was going on.

So we asked her if there is any other options that we can get to fly San Diego. She said there is flight from Toronto to Los Angeles and from Los Angeles we can either take a train or a bus she recommended to get to San Diego. We asked how much time will it take from LA to San Diego. She said only 2 hrs which she was lying to us big time to book this flight to spent another 600$ on top of our 13000 original flight tickets. We went to LA and asked about transportation. They told us it's going to take at least 4 hrs to get to San Diego, we were shocked because the lady told less than 2 hrs and we didn't want to miss time because we had a family wedding. We were desperate so we had to book a flight from LA to San Diego and spent another 14000 US for 40 min trip which is insane. We even told the LA customer service about it and they were in shock.

This was one of the worst day of my life, my parents were tired of traveling and walking through terminals carrying packages and more than 2000$ spent because we missed the check-in by a couple of minutes and we still had almost 2 hrs before the departure time and also being lied to by one of your representatives. Air Canada you should be ashamed of yourself and your regulations. I honestly don't know how you're still in service, I hope someone takes action and do something about it because it looks like I'm not the only who was dissatisfied about the service you providing.

Original review: June 27, 2018

Purchase business class ($3000 TICKET) for comfort while I was not feeling well, after I pass all security...on Air Canada gate business section they ask me to remove my hat... For that reason I left my bag in front of gate with my info; flight no, name...but same employee did not bother to give it to me!? My transfer was an old plane. No business class, food was garbage so I had a juice. No dinner.

On the way back also Air Canada dinner was rotten, 13 hour I had a Kit Kat and juice? Business class there was no food during transfer - 18 hour no food. Flight was late over 1 hour and no one tell the passenger, I went 3 times to gate to make sure I am in right gate and every time they say shortly! Air Canada staff inside airplane were good -- but with RUDE customer service, bad management. How can improve the service? My wife and me put bad review on China website with over 1 million hit/day. You purchase business class for comfort, Air Canada make a hell of it for you. Harassment at the gate, don't give your bag, no dinner on board... Bad name for Canadian people and country, not having a proper management.

Original review: June 24, 2018

Hi, please give me few minutes, and read the story of my experience with "Air Canada". Despite some bad reviews of their customer service, sometimes the cheaper rates is what keeps them alive. Previously I had fly couple of times with Air Canada, since I don't really care about customer services; I never had much complaints about them. But this last time, they screwed my entire journey and refused to take any responsibility about it. So I usually plan my trip ahead of time, just so to not pay higher rates. Now my mom had been sick for about six months, and I knew I have to visit her maybe for the last time.

I booked my tickets in the month of March for flying back home in May (after finishing my finals). But time had something else in its mind and I was told to visit ASAP, I rescheduled my flight to the earliest day possible, paid around 2100CAD (usually it is under 1300$, also I am a student at University of Windsor, this money was a lot beyond my budget). The flight was originally supposed to take me from Toronto to Ahmedabad in roughly 22 hours. The weather was sunny, everything was clear, but due to some reason beyond my intelligence; flight from Toronto took off late which made me miss my connecting flight in London. Now without any confrontation or explanation, they directed me to some terminal for my connecting flight.

After changing the terminal, I realized my flight departs after 6 hours. Plus this flight wasn't direct. I have one connecting flight in Mumbai. WHERE MY LAYOVER WAS 12 HOURS (I am not even exaggerating). I called Air Canada (using my Canadian sim card in roaming) to let them know about my situation. Again the call center agents are infamous about their rudeness, so I started calmly. They said they only take responsibility for dropping you to your destination and do not promise about the time frame. Angrily I said this is not fair in any way and asked for a refund. They asked me to cancel my tickets and be on my own then. (This is exactly what he said.) So now I reached Ahmedabad in roughly 40 hours (unfortunately my mum have passed away by then, when I was in London itself; so I spent layover of 12 and 6 hours with that information in my head, also in Mumbai I had internet for 45 minutes for my 12 hrs layover).

I have called Air Canada several times after that for getting any reimbursement, finally I emailed them a lengthy letter to which they responded by offering me a discount of 25% ON MY NEXT FLIGHT WITHIN ONE YEAR FROM AIR CANADA. Which is as ridiculous as it sounds also useless. Whole point of booking a last minute flight is to serve the purpose of flying immediately. That's why people pay even double the rates. For some Canadian resident or full-time worker or businessmen 2100CAD might not be a big amount. But for a student paying 30000CAD for his 16 months course at university, this amount totally shocked me. Not giving a good in-flight customer service is a different thing, and not caring about their customer is another thing. Thank you for reading, sorry if this offended you in any way.

Original review: June 21, 2018

I have had bad experiences with other Airlines, but never to the point where I would feel the need to speak out. Honestly, this will be my last time flying with this Airline. Out of all the staff that I came across, only two were very helpful and understanding. It seems like those who raise their voices get the most done, just an observation. The manager of the ticket area at the check-in didn't seem to care as he was busy talking and laughing with fellow co-workers. When I told him I had a question, he told me to hold on. Well I held on for about 10-15 minutes. In that time, I was able to call the airline and found out that after 45 minutes they could no longer proceed to check us in. Well funny thing is we were there in time but that time was being used up as we waited for said manager to finish "talking". Meanwhile a kind clerk took care of us and listened to us.

Honestly, that’s all we wanted; someone to help and explain to us what our options were. Waiting for him was our biggest mistake. When he decided to come back to us we told him we weren't happy with the way he treated us. He apologized and said he was too busy to remember us. (In short, I’m paraphrasing.) By now it was 1:30 pm and too late to get through for real. The clerk was so helpful and nice. I wish she could get recognized for her great customer service. Out of many only one cared and made a difference. In the end, we missed our flight and I missed work for nothing. With an hour and ten minutes to spare and still got nowhere due to wrong information and some workers too busy to care.

Yes, we were cutting it close being there an hour and ten minutes before our flight, but with everything that happened it added to the delay. Thank you Air Canada Rouge for your less than satisfactory service. It won't happen again. I will rate this Airline with a one for the one who cared to help and listened. PS the other worker who helped wasn't a part of the airline. Yet still I thank her.

Original review: June 14, 2018

I’ve been flying for years and I am not totally fed up with this airline. They are rude, unresponsive and have terrible customer service. The stewardesses don’t seem to care about the customer and the airport attendants are rude. I highly suggest that anybody who cares about the way they are treated fly with WestJet.

Original review: June 11, 2018

I have traveled with Air Canada at least a couple of times every year. While in the past, I have not been fond of this airline because of their service, I still gave it the benefits of my doubt. In our recent trip travelling from Vancouver to Zurich and Venice, we found our negative feelings about the airline totally justified. On the flight to Zurich, a male attendant hurriedly stepped on my shoe without apologizing. On the flight from Venice to Vancouver, the first leg (YVR-YUL) was delayed by an hour, we arrived at Montreal airport about 25-30 minutes late. The second leg from YUL to YVR was also delayed for 40 minutes because they needed to change an electronic module as scheduled maintenance. The plane arrived at Vancouver late for about 30-35 minutes.

What is even worse was I asked for a blanket at the beginning of my flight because I was feeling cold inside the cabin because of the air conditioning, I was flatly rejected by a stern-looking attendant who told me only preferred seats have blankets and she didn't even suggest an alternative. I had to bear with the uncomfortable cold cabin for the entire journey for four hours. Given the multiple instances of poor service, I am seriously considering not flying with Air Canada anymore.

Original review: June 9, 2018

Truly terrible. Delays, no communication, more delays, more non communication, lost baggage for 5 days, no compensation, no explanation. Rude gate attendants. This is consistently our experience with Air Canada.

Original review: June 9, 2018

I had chosen Air Canada solely for their baggage allowance for Brazil. I was moving here and needed to take more than 23 kg, they apparently allow up to 32 kg for Brazil. I was leaving Chicago and was supposed to layover in Toronto to São Paulo. Even though Toronto is the opposite direction I did this to save money on baggage fees. When I arrived at Ohare 6 hours early they said my flight was canceled. I had no notice even though I signed up for email alerts. Luckily I was able to be rebooked on United, but I explained that the reason I booked Air Canada was because of my heavy bags. The employee at check in assured me that I would be reimbursed and gave me a card with contact info on it. I kept my receipts, and had to pay $700 just for my bags. It was okay though because I was going to be reimbursed.

I submitted my paperwork through the online system once in Brazil, Air Canada has no phone customer service number. I received an email saying my inquiry had been received and that I’d hear back in 30 days. 30 days passed, so I called them again. They said I’d receive a callback. Still nothing. Months later and numerous calls of me waiting on hold calling long distance from Brazil and they send an email saying “this was our response must have gone to your spam folder”. I’d been checking my spam and they sent nothing. They didn’t even have the courtesy to look at my issue and sent a boilerplate response.

It’s now 5 months later. I haven’t been reimbursed even though I’ve contacted them numerous times. They flat out lied to me and then we’re extra rude and dismissive in all correspondences. I’ve never had a worse experience with an airline. I moved here to Brazil to get married and the last thing I have needed the last 5 months is to get screwed over by Air Canada. They are officially the worst airline I’ve ever dealt with and I feel disrespected and offended. I need my money back. There’s no reason I should have to pay for their incompetence and horrible service. I’ve filed complaints with the Department of Transportation but you can’t even talk to somebody in person at Air Canada to remedy the situation. Deplorable and reprehensible in every way.

Original review: June 3, 2018

Avoid Air Canada at ALL COST. We thought they were reliable compared to others, turns out they are worse and have no integrity. Never have we experienced this before. They just cancelled/rebooked our flight and failed to give us notice. NO EMAILS, NOTHING! Now we get to the airport early only to discover that flight is 5 hours delayed. We are now late for an important event that we are trying to get to. Darius, one of the managers was indifferent. The check in clerk says that Darius could do something about it. However upon speaking with him he is merely deferring us to fill out a form in the website, to hopefully have someone get back to us and address our issues. NEVER AGAIN. People around the airport who had Air Canada apps were supposed to get updates, and even they never got any notice!

Original review: June 3, 2018

In November 2017 I bought a low-fare round ticket from Calgary to Toronto ($474 CAD). Later I had to cancel my flight, to my surprise, my money will not be reimbursed, I received a credit for a future flight with Air Canada. If that condition is stated during the purchasing process is not easy to find it because I never saw it. In June 2018 I am trying to use that credit to buy a ticket from Toronto to Calgary, the result, I have to pay $251 CAD additional because they charge me a fee because I change from round ticket to a one-way ticket, plus a fee for changing my original fly.

The result I will pay $725 CAD for the cheapest class in a flight Toronto-Calgary which is usually around $350 CAD. What a rip-off!!! Here is my advice, be extremely careful with the Air Canada low fares, they will charge you for everything, luggage, change in schedule, destination, name on the ticket etc. To compare I will say that recently I flew with West Jet and when I cancelled a portion of my trip, they return me some money.

Original review: May 11, 2018

I recently flew on an Air Canada business class ticket, round-trip from Washington DC to Mumbai, India (via Toronto). I had the worst experience with my baggage that I have ever had on any trip in my life (and I’m a road warrior that frequently travels to India for work). First off, amazingly enough, Air Canada lost my bags on BOTH directions of the flight! And on the outbound leg, I did not get my bags until nearly 72 hours after I had landed!! It certainly takes a lot of creativity and hard work to lose two checked bags in both directions – maybe I’m supposed to pay extra to make sure my bags arrive when I do?!

Losing the bags on the outbound leg was particularly frustrating and annoying as I was only in India for 10 days for work and was supposed to travel the next day to a couple of other cities in India. So, I had to scramble to buy clothes, toiletries, a suitcase, etc for my domestic travel and basically lost the better part of a day dealing with this hassle and inconvenience.

Then, to add salt in the wounds, Air Canada’s baggage resolution center has rejected the majority of the receipts I submitted for reimbursement, including the suitcase I had to purchase for my 3-day domestic trip that morning. Maybe they think I should have stuffed my underwear, socks, shirts and toiletries into my Dell computer bag? Or maybe they think I should have simply worn the same shirt, underwear and socks for 3 days in the Indian heat? They also rejected several of my receipts for clothes because they were not detailed enough (I guess the person who created their policies has never gone shopping in tiny stores in a 3rd-world country!).

It is clear that Air Canada’s lost baggage policies are nonsensical and that the department lack common sense as well as any sense of customer service. This was an unimaginable experience given what I was expecting, especially in business class! Not only did I have to spend hours dealing with my lost bags in Mumbai, I then have had to spend hours dealing with Air Canada to at least get some reimbursement of my expenses! If you do travel Air Canada in the future, my recommendation is to NOT check in ANY bags since my experience is that the probability that your bags will arrive in your destination when you do is around zero.

Original review: May 8, 2018

My husband, grandson and myself were traveling from Toronto to Tampa. Our flight was delayed just over an hour which isn't a big deal as everytime I have gone with Air Canada it's delayed. When we were able to put our trays down for drinks and food I noticed garbage in the pouch in front of our seat and our tray were dirty and sticky. I asked the flight attendant for something to wash it up. She told me to go to the bathroom and get a wet paper towel and clean it. RUDE. When I put in a complaint I received an email that they passed it on to another department which I haven't heard from. This was Feb 6 2018. Absolutely disgusting, I will never fly with Air Canada again.

Original review: April 26, 2018

After e-mail communication, discussing my missed flight due to flight delays for many reasons. De-icing, line up of planes to get to gate, waiting to be towed in, extra long wait through security line up for USA flight, and 40 min walk from gate to security, the 1 hr 10 min connection time was not enough. They got us on a later flight to our destination in Miami, which arrived too late for our cruise embarkation. We had to stay over night in Miami as luggage was delayed 24 hrs. This delay cost us lots financially. Air Canada, refused to accept any accountability for delay but did give me 15% discount off 4 pax tickets. I'm disappointed at the way this was handled. There was no one we could talk to in person, only email.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I had to write this review for Air Canada to know how bad their company is. My flight was rescheduled due to weather which was understandable. But staff were rude, unprofessional. Not helping. I was stuck at Pearson International Airport from a Friday to Sunday. When I threatened to call the newspapers they found me a flight out to my destination. When I got to my destination LaGuardia. They didn’t have my bags. The Canadian call centre number is not working due to high call volumes and the Indian call centres don’t know how to locate my bags. I've had to miss an international connection twice 'cause of my lost bags. Would not recommend Air Canada to anyone.

Resolution response: March 16, 2018

I just wrote about being assigned the worst seats on flights between Vancouver and Kamloops. When the Air Canada agent called me back, he didn't hesitate before offering to move me to any other seats that were open, and there were a number to choose from. I chose new seats and the agent emailed me my revised itinerary immediately. Thank you, Air Canada.

Original review: March 15, 2018

Clearly, Air Canada has no use for Aeroplan anymore. I booked return flights between Vancouver and Kamloops, which is about 3 1/2 hours by car and 55 minutes by plane. It's still costing me $118 for fees/taxes, but I want to use up my miles while I can. I just went online to check the flight status for tomorrow's flight to Kamloops and see that I have been assigned the very worst seat on the aircraft (according to SeatGuru), and the 2nd worst seat on the return flight. So I chose the "change seats" option and waited for 20 minutes while the hamster wheel spun in circle. I canceled and tried again. Same thing. So I called them instead and am told that I will get a call back between 36 and 53 minutes. Can't wait!

Original review: March 15, 2018

We are not a big fan of Air Canada for a while now and they have not changed our opinion of them. We had purchased our tickets in October for our trip to Mexico in March. We booked with two juvenile exchange students and told Air Canada we were traveling together. The trip down was not too bad even though they charged us $25 each per checked bag. They also did not have us seated together like most carriers try to do. We could not get our seats before arriving to the airport so had to wait until there to find out where we would be sitting. When we got to the desk they only gave my husband and I a gate number and the one juvenile who ended up flying with us a seat number. When we asked we were told they do not do the seats there that we have to wait until 10 minutes before departure to get assigned seats.

They did not explain that we were on standby and might not get a seat even though we had booked 5 months ahead of time and that we were the only two that we could see was put on standby. They also waited until we were out of sight before placing the big yellow standby ribbon on our luggage. Luckily we got seats considering the young person traveling with us would have lost her seat also for she would not have known what to do once at the destination airport. No one told us we were on standby and might not get a seat until the last minute and we should never have been placed on standby where our tickets had been purchased so far in advance. Had to take a bus out to load on the aircraft and lo and behold there is my husband's luggage sitting there with personnel around it I guess waiting to see if he made it onto the plane.

We purchased food on the plane where it was over 4-hour flight and it was not very good food. So besides ending up costing us $150 more just for our luggage and scared we would not get a seat we were very disappointed in Air Canada and will travel West Jet like we usually do. They are such a better company then Air Canada any day of the week.

Original review: March 15, 2018

Air Canada is a terrible airline. I paid over 250,000 points for a first class flight from Ottawa > Florida (yes, you read that right 250,000 points!). When I got to airport nearly 1 hour before my flight (no luggage to check ticket in hand) I was told they gave my seat away. WTF??? Then they acted like they were doing me a favor by jamming me into the very back of the plane middle seat. I was jammed between two hyper kids. Is this what I paid 250,000 points for?? How is this possible? It's been nearly a month and they have yet to deal with this. I've followed up countless times. This is not fair. It's insane what they are getting away with. I'm creating a website so people will be able to share videos, social media content and more so people can learn what to expect from the worst airline in our country. Air Canada is a nightmare.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

I would like to tell you about our vacation in the USA in summer 2017: It was a very nice trip in the States. We started in Las Vegas and made this famous round trip by car: Los Angeles, by Highway 1 to San Francisco, to the Yosemite Park and Mammoth Lakes, through the Death Valley and of course to the Grand Canyon and back to Las Vegas, again. However, we had very negative experiences with Air Canada, unfortunately: we started in Frankfurt (Germany) and flew with Lufthansa to Montreal and from there to Las Vegas with Air Canada Rouge: this flight was ok, except a short delay. But our return flight was really a disaster, unfortunately: our planned departure was on August 22nd at 12:10 pm in Las Vegas with Air Canada Rouge to Toronto, planned arrival at 7:22 pm. Their planned departure at around 9:40 pm with Air Canada to Frankfurt.

In fact, the start was repeatedly delayed. Our first info was 2 hours delay, then 4 hours, but finally the start in Las Vegas was over 5 hours later. We got vouchers at the airport for $30 per person, but no other help or support or information. They just said we're getting more information in Toronto. The hotline on the phone could not help, either. We wanted to change our flight, but that wasn't possible in Las Vegas. Later, in Toronto - there was chaos at the airport counter of course. We waited at the counter for around 2 hours, but then we could insist changing our return flight to Frankfurt with Lufthansa instead of Air Canada.

After that, we were finally taken to an ugly, dirty hotel at around half past 1:00 at night, which Air Canada had reserved for us, with a dirty and broken bus. It was really disgusting. In the bathroom, I saw a big black beetle running out of a hole in the wall behind the mirror. We haven't slept much. Breakfast was ok. We had Air Canada's vouchers for lunch, but no more time for lunch. We could talk to the hotel staff and got a lunch package for to-go. At the end: we arrived around 23 hours later than planned in Frankfurt. Our cheaply booked train ticket was also invalid and we had to buy new train tickets in Germany for three times the fare. And only 2 days later we had to work again with jetlag and not enough sleep and regeneration after this “horrible” flight experiences.

Unfortunately, we were extremely disappointed by Air Canada. Yes, sure, a plane can be damaged. Yes, there may be delays due to maintenance. And of course, we got one night in Toronto paid by Air Canada. But the unfriendly tone of service, miserable customer relations, missing or incorrect information and lack of goodwill have been the most disappointing factors. We did not get any money back, although we were proven to have had much more costs that were clearly caused by Air Canada. The only offer was a 15% discount voucher for the next flight with Air Canada. Thank you, but we'll pass.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

Meal Service sucks. I prepaid $15.90 after 50% discounted price (total $31) for both flights Montreal-Vancouver then Vancouver-Toronto on AIRCANADA.COM. While on booking grand total was $832. But on flight from Montreal-Vancouver they offered me just $7 worth snacks and showed me the menu what I can get in $7 (It's very cheap, cheap behavior). When I asked them to check their record then they after 20 mins they gave me a half meal tray and said they will bring me bread roll separate which never came. On flight Vancouver-Toronto they even didn't provide me food because they didn't have any record. Instead they tried to sell me again.

Air Canada's onboard crew are like Street Hawkers who just focus on selling items with credit cards, they don't care if you have pre-paid your meal. They don't care. Suggestions while traveling Air Canada: - Never buy online meal vouchers in advance, Never Buy discounted meal offers from Air Canada while booking tickets online INSTEAD use your credit card onboard whatever you want to eat. OR take your own food with you. Traveling Date Feb 18, 2018 - Feb 20, 2018. Economy Class. Meal - Prepaid. Seats - Prepaid. Luggage - Carry on (No Fee).

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

I avoid flying Air Canada like the plague, yet on my last trip from Calgary to Los Angeles, it was unavoidable. The flight was 2 hours late boarding, then once we were on the plane, we sat on the tarmac for another 1 hour delay. Upon returning to Calgary from Los Angeles, our flight was again delayed by an hour. Of course after each delayed flight they cheerfully smiled and said “fly again soon with us!” as we arrived 3 hours past schedule. I absolutely hate Air Canada, I will pay more to fly anything from now on.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

How is it possible that Air Canada and Calgary airport are surprised by the snow on the 8 Feb. 2 hours waiting to get de iced, then we are out of fuel and need to return to terminal and go through the whole process again! Seriously - snow in Calgary and Canada, is this a new thing now?

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

Flying Air Canada on Feb. 4th at 5pm, a stewardess named Jackilou on flight AC7736. A customer on seat 21C was refused medical attention, she advised the stewardess that she had a medical issue, the stewardess who has no medical doctor training refused a customer medical assistance and advised customer she can wait until the pilot called personnel to allow her medication intake. The customer advised she cannot wait, and the stewardess made a medical decision for the client without advising a medical doctor or EMS on the situation, and wouldn't let her off the grounded delayed plane. This is illegal. They do not have the authority to refuse a customer's medication when on a delayed flight that hasn't taken off yet, and will not be within 1 hrs.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

We booked ticket for 23 month old. We got a separate seat for him as we can travel comfortably. While checking in at the airport the Air Canada employee tells us that we need to have a full car seat otherwise we cannot board a flight. All other employees were not sure about it and we never heard of any such incidence. We had our relatives who have travelled with 1 year old, 6 months old, without any car seat. If it was required it was provided by the airlines itself. We had to rush to nearby Walmart.

She wanted full car seat and it has to be carried by us all the time, while changing fights, while waiting. We got so tired by the time we reached our destination. It took us about 5 days to get over dehydration and tiredness because of the experience. We also missed our connecting flight because of delay because of weather. We were not offered any food coupons. The experience was way worse than I am able to explain. I want Air Canada to have proper written regulations whether car seat is required and if required what age group and who is suppose to provide it and how to carry it along. And all this information be easily available for agents and customers.

On their website. My biggest issue with the employee was not even once she tried to resolve it without causing us harassment. She never took the onus of this problem on airline as if she knew that customers' hassle is not airlines issue and there is nothing we can do. I felt so helpless as if there is no accountability of such an experience.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

Our flight was cancelled last minute at the gate and were told to go to the customer service desk. However, upon arriving there, we were told to just go retrieve our luggage because the agents would not be able to help us and that we would have to call their customer service line to reschedule our flight. We were then given a card with a phone # to call to book another flight and to also book a hotel at a discount. However, upon calling the phone agent, we were told that because the cancellation was not their fault, they could not provide accommodations, even at a discount. We were also told that there would not be another direct flight out until 2 days later, although upon checking the internet, we saw that there were many other direct flights for the next day, with other airlines.

The phone agent then told us that they could not book us a flight with another airline, and that we would have to go back to the airport and speak to the desk agent. All the agents gave us different information and seemed clueless, uncaring, and incapable! Because of this airline's stupidity, we all lost out on a day's pay and had to drive down from Toronto to Newark so that we wouldn't miss out on another day's pay. Upon arriving back home, we found out that a friend also went through a similar experience previously with this airline. NEVER take AIR CANADA!

Air Canada Company Information