3.7/5 (688 ratings)

About Air Canada

Air Canada Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Air Canada?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Air Canada?

Original review: July 18, 2022

Where is my luggage? Does anyone in this airport care. Flight from Dulles Tp Montreal via Air Canada on 6-28. 3 hour delay in dulles. 2-1/2 hour delay in Montreal. Could not get off the plane. No gate, no agent. Waited 1-1/2 hours at the luggage belt. No luggage to be found. Waited another 8 hours on a line from 12am-8am to get rebooked. Lost a day and a half. One nights hotel. One day rental car. No one at the gate to let anyone know what to do, where to do it. As if everything was okay with this long of a delay. The whole plane missed their connection flights. Can't get an answer from anyone at Air Canada. Can't fill out a lost baggage because the final carrier was a different airline. My check in bag is still in montreal. No help from anyone at air canada as if they bear no responsibility.

What a terrible airport and airline. The last airline never had our luggage. Never sent to our final destination. Still sitting somewhere in montreal with I am sure many others. I need someone that has some common sense and that cares to help. They have our belongings. There is a label on our luggage with our name, address and phone number. Also the ** number that says where the bag was supposed to go and whom it belongs to. How does a airport allow these carriers to operate in this manner. HELP! PLEASE! You have people clothes, shoes, belongings and should be a priority that they get returned to their owner. I WILL NEVER TRAVEL TO THIS AIRPORT OF THIS AIRLINE.

Original review: July 14, 2022

I have been traveling with different airlines for almost 30 years. I have had some bad but mostly good experiences with different airlines. Air Canada has mostly been bad experiences until recently. After them buying Aeroplan and pandemic it has gone downhill. Aeroplan has become extremely stressful and disappointing to deal with. Maybe they programmed Ai to run the software or some thing like it, but is doesn’t make any sense at all. Lately I flew to Vancouver and back and on both occasions was delayed over an hour and the excuses don’t make any sense. I got a revised time to travel notification saying it is because of security issues with a passenger who is flying 3 or 4 days in advance. Sounds very bizarre. But at the airport it was a different excuse. I wish Canadian Government would not allow big corporations eat up the competition and not allow monopoly.

Original review: July 13, 2022

The worst airline that exists, it has nothing good, the crew is rude, the food is average, the old planes are always late or cancel, if you call customer service they tell you that the waiting time is 2 hours. I chose this airline without reading the reviews, I just imagined that since it was the Canadian airline it was good. WHAT A SERIOUS MISTAKE, I have traveled in many but honestly this one has no name. I flew Miami Montreal Athens, what a nightmare, the first delayed flight, I was able to make the connection because all their flights are always delayed, the Montreal airport is a tremendous Chaos, it seems that it does not have capacity for the people it receives.

Back I had a layover of 3 hours and I spent all of them making lines in the corridors of the airport trying to check point for American citizens, something incredible. On my last flight Montreal Miami I had upgraded my seat to one in aisle since I had come from a 10 hour flight and I wanted to be more comfortable and when I finally got to the counter they changed my seat to one in the middle and told me that they would make me a refund. It was not about the refund but that I had paid and chosen a seat and they changed me without any explanation. Extremely rude plane crew, really do yourself a big favor and avoid this airline.

Original review: July 11, 2022

We had a lovely trip planned to Canada that was scarred by Air Canada. No only did lose the luggage for two days on our arriving leg but bumped us from our connecting flight. Trying to get to speak to someone is nonexistent. On our return our flight was delayed due to the previous flight being delayed. While in the air they bumped us from our connection putting us on a flight which involved a layover on our dime. We did not ask for this lay over, made it to the gate on time for the connection because it too was delayed. Why they would bump you in midair is beyond me.

Not only this. But the customer service representative sold us a bunch of crap. Telling us we could get our luggage which we could not. We feel bad for your staff. The customer service line was 1.5 hrs and closed before we got to the front. Phone calls have you on hold for hours and then disconnect you. I never in my life dealt with such and inadequate organization. We done even know if we will be compensated for any clothing we needed on the first leg of the trip. I am not hopeful because we cannot even get to speak to anyone. NEVER AGAIN WILL I TRAVEL WITH THIS AIRLINE.

Original review: July 11, 2022

They canceled the flight with no notice and left the whole group stranded at the airport. Customer service is lacking and they blame covid for the canceled flight. Don't waste your time or money with this company.

Original review: July 9, 2022

I was supposed to travel back to the US from Canada, where I was on a brief vacation. But it turned into an absolute nightmare thanks to Air Canada. I was checked into my flight and had my boarding pass available. However, they refused to let me board the flight citing visa issues on my passport when I had all the right paperwork. These attendants were acting like immigration officers when they had no authorization or the right qualifications to validate visa statuses. They had limited training and refused to listen to what I had to produce to explain my situation.

When I tried to confront them about it and threatened to file a complaint, they refused to let me rebook my flight purposefully and was asked to call the hotline that no one answers. I was harassed and treated like a criminal. Eventually I had to book a flight from a different airline and I don't know if I still can get a refund for the flight I couldn't board. Overall, it's the worst airline ever and I refuse to fly with them again.

Original review: July 7, 2022

July 5, 2022 we travelled from Toronto to Republic Dominican, we paid for seats extra money with good advanced time (12 C and 12 B) but in the last minute they sent us in the complete back seats of the plane (42B and 42 C). What is the point to paid for that if Air Canada treated customer like that? Also for the reason Toronto airport is crazy to pick up luggage (full of accumulation of luggage and a lot lose luggage), so we decide to bring just carry on (we took off some clothing) but on the entrance of the plane they took our luggage to put in check luggage because they don’t have more space inside of the plane (happened that because they didn’t respect our seats paid already and they called us in the last group).

After we have to wait for our carry on in Dominican Republic one was damage of the wheel (new carry on). I can’t believe! Plus one and half hour waiting on the plane inside! I don’t recommended any more air canada, worst every day! I hope to back Toronto air canada keep our seats that we paid extra money for that plus to keep carry on with us because for that reason of international airport is difficult at luggage place, we decide to take just carry on, I will fight for our rights!!

Original review: July 7, 2022

We were flying home to SFO from Naples, Italy via Air Canada/Lufthansa, Business Class. The Naples flight was delayed and we barely made our connection in Munich. Our baggage did not make the connection. It has been 10 days; I have filed every report and yet no response and no baggage. The baggage helpline number is a recording. It is impossible to speak to a person. I am frustrated and discouraged. I know the airlines are overwhelmed but this is ridiculous!! My recommendation for future travelers is carry-on baggage only or air-tags in checked bags.

Original review: July 6, 2022

Travelled from ATL to DEL on 1st June, 2022. My ticket clearly says that I am allowed to check-in 2 pcs. Air Canada agent at Atlanta did not allow us check-in two and asked us to pay for the second one. We showed the ticket and request them to check with Expedia and they just said that they can not do anything. We had to send two pieces back and paid for two. Then, Air Canada delayed their flight in Atlanta due to Inaugural show of the Canadian Consulate. Connecting flight at YUL did not wait for the passengers (almost 40 passengers). Air Canada staff at YUL behaved very irresponsible and pushed us to board the flights without even giving the boarding passes of our connecting airports. 20 hour flight took almost 80 hours.

In this mess, they even misplaced some our bags. We lost 3 bags...all our tour hotels, rental cars and tour packages were cancelled. No clothes to wear after reaching to destination...had to do emergency shopping. When we complained this to Air Canada...they just blamed it on COVID and offer us some discount or coupon on our next Air Canada travel. More of sales promotion.

Original review: July 4, 2022

Returned from a trip from Mexico and I was pretty sick on my return so I never unpacked for a few weeks. I even have a doctor's note. As everyone knows it pretty much impossible to get someone on the phone when you call the Air Canada baggage so it took many hours (8-10hrs) and persistence (this took 1-2 weeks). I finally got a claim in for the many items that was stolen from my baggage. I finally hear back from Air Canada a few MONTHS later telling me I did not submit my claim in time so they are not accountable.

Original review: July 4, 2022

We flew Air Canada to Vancouver and then, on return, from Comox through Vancouver and to SF over the 4th of July weekend. All the news feeds were full of disaster stories about this airline and what we found were really decent, welcoming, people doing their very best, in trying times, to serve people. Canadians tend to be decent people and this airline is staffed by the most decent. The crew on our Comox to Vancouver flight worked strenuously (and with great agility) to make sure we could store all our luggage, both under seats and in small overheads--quite a challenge on a small plane--without complaint. Yes, there were delays--small, due to weather and air traffic and somehow the crew on our longer flight felt that meant we ought not pay for our food and drinks (without ever announcing it!!) Our luggage always made it to our sides. So, a big Thank You to this fabulous airline in these difficult times!!!!

Original review: July 3, 2022

Air Canada lost my bag on 2 June. I reached out, after spending an hour and a half on hold, I got to talk to rep. She gave me a login where I could review the information, most was incorrect. Though it did say I was checking out of my hotel on 8 June. On 9 June, Air Canada had the courier drop my bag off at the hotel that I had already checked out of. Here we are, 3 July, I still do not have my bag, and they are refusing to reimburse me for clothes purchased while not having a bag.

Original review: June 30, 2022

On my return business trip from Toronto to Phoenix, I booked my flights on Air Canada website. All air Canada flights in my trip were delayed by almost two hours so I lost my connection and had to pay extra for a Southwest flight to arrive in time at my destination. Air Canada then canceled my return flight so I had to book it against. My red-eye Air Canada connection in San Francisco was delayed by 1.5 hours. Luckily I did not have checked bags as I need to go to Montreal on the day of my arrival from San Francisco. Avoid this airline if possible until they get their business together.

Original review: June 30, 2022

Worse experience ever with a air line. From beginning to end, it was only a succession of unacceptable events. Aircrafts delayed one after each other and no reason provided. Stuck 2.5 hours in a 96F plane with 56 people, agitated and getting dizzy. Condensation dripping from the ceiling and no AC. All connection missed and had to sleep in the airport, on the ground as they were having no customer service open on site or on the phone.

Stayed on hold 2.5 hours, twice, to not even able to talk to someone. Lost luggage at the final destination and not able to even be located. Will never fly with this company ever again. Rude staff or just not even assisting. Lost luggage at the final destination and not able to even be located. Will never fly with this company ever again. Rude staff or just not even assisting.

Original review: June 29, 2022

My wife and I booked a trip to Ireland and our flight was from Denver through Toronto and then on to Dublin. Our trip started out with what we figured was somewhat normal for the times in that our flight was delayed leaving DIA but we had a lengthy lay over in Toronto so we did not think much about it. After several times and announcements that we were being delayed we finally left DIA about 2 and half to 3 hours late. We arrived in Toronto with plenty of time so again we did not think much of the delays. Then Air Canada starts the delays again. Excuses used were that the plane was late coming in. The ground crew needed extra time to clean the plane and then it was the crew needed extra time to do safety checks. Finally we left 1 and a half hours late to Dublin.

We arrived in Dublin to an announcement that it was going to take an additional 30 minutes to get our luggage off the plane. One hour later approximately 75 to 100 passengers started questioning anyone they could where their luggage was. NO Air Canada employee ever through this entire process made an announcement or even came down to discuss the fact that we all did not have luggage on that flight. We tried calling Air Canada and there is no one answering calls. They say they will not answer due to high call volumes.

To this day not one Air Canada employee has called us to discuss why our luggage was misplaced. We are attempting to vacation in Ireland with no clothes, bathroom products or necessary personal belongings like contacts or anything else. I have literally ran into people all across Ireland in pubs, grocery stores and hotels that have said that Air Canada lost their luggage or knew someone that Air Canada has lost their luggage. My advice is to never FLY AIR CANADA. They won't even answer when you call to try and find out where your stuff might be. Again NEVER FLY WITH AIR CANADA their service is extremely poor.

Original review: June 28, 2022

Updated on 07/18/2022: ** ticket # **. ALL HANDS IN POVERTY RELIEF is a charity organization myself and my family run. This ticket was bought for me to travel to the Philippines to purchase a land to build a shelter for homeless kids. The ticket Was bought in July 2020 with a protection plan to travel on January 2021, but before the travel date the agent called to inform me that there has been an itinerary change as the connecting flight was canceled so while waiting for me to make a decision on another connecting flight The pandemic happened and could not travel so the agent called again to inform me the air Canada is going to refund everyone including me but I have the option of leaving the money there and reschedule my flight when it is safe to do so and he will try to get the ticket as close to the original price as possible.

Now that it is safe to travel I can’t get my flight rescheduled because every time I call they are telling me that someone will call me to reschedule my flight and no one ever called. Now I am asking for my refund and still no one is ever returning my calls. I called Air Canada and they told me that the ticket is sitting there waiting to be rescheduled or refunded but the travel agent is telling me they are waiting on Air Canada to release the refund and now every time I call Air Canada they put me on hold then hang up the phone.

Original Review: I booked a ticket with protection plan through ASAP ticket agency on July 2020 and was not traveled because of pandemic. This is a ticket confirmation #**. This is refundable but I didn't get it yet. I was told that I can reschedule the travel after pandemic is over. Now I am trying to get my refund or reschedule my travel but ASAP agency said, "Air Canada is not proceeding your refund." When I called Air Canada, they always took my information and hang-up the call. I am feeling like a helpless at this time. Can you please follow up with my refund.

Original review: June 27, 2022

In my many years of travel I have never experienced, can't even get through to leave a message, their message machine is turned off. No wonder there's an exceptional call experience going on - every one is pissed off. Our flight from Edinburgh was for 5 hours (delay upon delay being called) late causing us to miss our Denver flight. Meal 'vouchers' didn't cover 1/2 the cost of the airport meals. There was basically no lodging available. We ended up paying $300 per person for a 5 hour stay at a hotel, plus $200 in taxi fare because we had to travel so far to find a room. Arriving in Denver we think our luggage got left in Toronto - there was no one from Air Canada available to tell us anything. Cannot even file a lost baggage request because their website won't take our information. NEVER fly Air Canada.

Original review: June 24, 2022

My first flight left Victoria BC and arrived at MSP Monday afternoon. My luggage didn’t get to me until Thursday night and I am leaving on Friday. My returning flight has been delayed 2 hours already and I won’t make my connecting flight. The staff will not put me on the flight tomorrow morning where there are only 6 seats left until I actually arrive inToronto and officially miss the flight.

Original review: June 24, 2022

I would like to give Air Canada 0 stars, but that is not an option. Our connecting flight in Montreal was cancelled at 4:30 pm. We were told we would get a hotel voucher for the night & to go to customer service to rebook. Before we could rebook, we were told that we needed to claim our luggage. Customer service was outside of baggage claim. We were told that if we didn’t claim our luggage before going to customer service, we would not be allowed back in the luggage claim area to get our luggage. We waited 5 hours for luggage. There was no water available in the baggage claim area. I stood in line twice to get answers. The second time I was in line I asked if our luggage accidentally went somewhere else because we waited so long.

I was told that Air Canada does not make mistakes. I find that very interesting because I kept receiving text messages that our flight was rebooked, but told in person by Air Canada representatives that the flight was cancelled. I pointed out the conflicting information and was told that it was a system error and it was not Air Canada’s fault. Once we got our luggage, we waited an additional 2 hours to get our flight rebooked. There was not a hotel voucher for us, only a $40 food voucher. By that time it was after midnight and only 1 restaurant was open. Of course, that restaurant had a line too. Once we ordered, we were told that they didn’t accept the food vouchers. We ended up paying over $900 for a hotel room + the cost of a taxi. We will never fly Air Canada again. We just want other to be aware and not make the same mistake we did.

Original review: June 23, 2022

If I can give less than 1 star I would of. We booked a two way flight for my daughter to attend her graduation ceremony. My daughter reached the airport then she found out that Air Canada changed the flight time, and then they kept changing the flight time until they cancelled the whole flight, and since it was end of day we could not book another flight and my daughter missed her graduation ceremony. What’s funny is that they kept the return ticket. This is the worst airlines, I have never experienced such situation with other airlines. I will never book with this airline again. Stay away from Air Canada.

Original review: June 23, 2022

I wish I had read the reviews beforehand in planning a trip to Canada via Air Canada on 6/16/2022. On the takeoff it was way late and at a layover point in Vancouver we sat on the tarmac for nearly 3 hrs, apparently the excuse was weather/mechanical/and not enough staff to load luggage. I'm really surprised this company is still in business. I waited for 4 hrs to get luggage which was put on another flight and I had to retrieve it the next day.

A tip would be use carry on bags, and bring food with you because they run out of anything good less than halfway through the plane. It's not just the airline. It's the airports too being filthy and staffed largely by non English speaking people mostly Asian and you can't understand them. Ten flights were cancelled so the lobbies looked like a homeless camp filled with people with nowhere to go and the staff was absolutely no help whatsoever. Canada is a disaster, book your vacation elsewhere by any other air carrier.

Original review: June 22, 2022

I traveled on May 22 from Toronto to Delhi and flight were diverted to Ahmadabad due to weather, I stayed at tarmac for over 3 hours and then airport for 5 hours and AC crew left us over 300 passengers abounded to go to hotel and come back mid night for next flight. We came to airport and were not allowed to enter airport as flight is not assigned and told us to come back next day in afternoon, no one to complain or talk on behalf of AC, I took domestic flight and paid for origin, Now A C refuse to compensate the actual ticket expense. They should get award of WORST AIRLINES.

Original review: June 20, 2022

I made a mistake by booking a flight for my husband and ended up paying for an expensive ticket without being offered a seat and then again paid $47.00 where no airlines have such pathetic service of paying extra for seats that should be included in the flight itinerary. Was informed about 23 kg 1 bag however thought of calling them and looking for an upgrade. Every day I called them for 3 weeks but was kept on hold for 2 or 3 hours and later calls got disconnected which shows their inefficient poor service without being provided any resolution. Have rude customer service agents who do not know how to talk to the customers or show some empathy. I would not recommend anyone to choose this airline and go through the hassle that I have been through.

Original review: June 19, 2022

I Wish I would have read the reviews before booking. The service is UNRELIABLE, employees are RUDE and burnt out. It was nearly 3 HOURS to get ahold of a customer service representative who was more upset than I Was. He literally stated "Every person I’ve spoken to before you started the conversation with how long they were on hold, so let’s talk about your issue." Book ELSEWHERE! Our flight was cancelled last minute and moved from 0840 to 1530 hours. The first leg of the flight was now with a different provider who could not honor the “extra leg room” we paid for on Air Canada. The representative said I could submit a claim to attempt to seek reimbursement. I would never even consider flying Air Canada again. I’m not sure how they are even still in business to be quite honest.

Original review: June 18, 2022

THE BIGGEST MISTAKE IN THE HISTORY OF MY TRAVEL!!! Stay away from this company. It is impossible to get connected to a live agent. They keep my credit of $7500 after cancellation of the previous trip and I can't get through to rebook my holidays for another time. I'm unable to do it online because it doesn't show my credit. I've been trying to call for the past month sometimes waiting 6 hours on hold with no final connection. It is the worst experience I have ever had with a tour company and I travel a lot. I regret my decision to chose this company as a trip provider and it is shameful for Air Canada, national flag carrier, to be represented and associated with such an unprofessional agency giving them the worst reputation around the world.

Original review: June 16, 2022

I was traveling with my family back to Canada for a family wedding after 2 1/2 years of not seeing my family due to COVID. I drove 1.5 hrs to the airport and arrived at the ticket agent 65 minutes prior to departure. The ticket agent said she could no longer take our bags and we would have to carry them on, which puzzled me as we still had plenty of time prior to departure. After typing our passport into the computer, the agent put up a sign that said you must be at the counter 60 min prior to departure and handed my passports back to me and said I could no longer get on the flight. It was now 57 minutes prior to departure. Rather than look for alternative flights, she said I had to call the customer service center and rebook. It took 1 hr and 25 min to get through to the customer center. They informed me that they could get me and my family to our destination 24 hrs later and it would cost an additional $11,500.

Needless to say, the additional cost was not going to work and now I will miss my nephew's wedding and I have devastated my 80 year old mom and dad. First of all, I wasn't aware of needing to be at the ticket counter at least 60 min prior to departure, I understand it is their rule, and I did cut it close. What amazed me is, I was still there within the limits of their rules, but because she did not have the information entered precisely prior to 60 min before boarding my family and I had our flights canceled. If you have an option of any airline in the world other than Air Canada, I would recommend you chose it. Regardless of the cost.

Original review: June 15, 2022

My first flight left 3 hours late, causing tons of people to run to their connecting flights. Only to get there and be told their flight was switched! Instead of my straight through flight to Athens landing at 11:40am, I was placed on a 11:50pm flight, with a layover in London, & arrival in Athens at 7pm!! & The 11:50pm flight STILL HASNT BOARDED & it’s 12:12! This is my first AND LAST time flying with them!

Original review: June 14, 2022

The fight schedule changed one day before schedule date. Especially new schedule included 12 hours layover at Vancouver airport. I asked air Canada customer service and staff if lounge service was feasible. However all answers were no. It was my first experience by Air Canada. It was really terrible and horrible experience. My family never ever use Air Canada again.

Original review: June 11, 2022

Please be wary of what you pay to this airlines. They have hidden charges and a promise of "full refund" will be 50% of what you pay 'cause they don't calculate a refund on their "Other airline charges" which is at least 50% of the amount you have to pay towards the flight ticket.

Original review: June 10, 2022

Four agents serving numerous customers in line at the ticket counter in Phoenix. We boarded the plane and it was delayed, we drove around the airport and sat for 3 hours. The flight was canceled for some unknown reason, we deplaned and no information was given about the rebooking or vouchers, etc. Families with kids were stuck at the airport until they could find out what to do. The counter agents left and there was no one to contact other than the "customer service" number. If you called that number, which I did several times. You were immediately told it would be a 2-hour wait. After several attempts, I gave up. Twenty-three hours later and I'm still trying to rebook a flight. Air Canada has to be the worst airline I've ever encountered.

Air Canada Company Information