3.44/5

450 Air Canada Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 16, 2019

The phone line is a nightmare, and I found the woman I spoke to rude and dismissive. However, the on-flight staff was SUPERB and I had a very comfortable flight with no glitches or delays. Too bad Air Can is usually so much more expensive than anyone else.

Original review: March 15, 2019

Took a flight from Saskatoon to Edmonton. I fell asleep prior to takeoff. Awoke as we were landing but just not in Edmonton. We were back in Saskatoon. We were told the windshield cracked when we hit 10,000ft. We offloaded and hung around as a group for over one hour before AC rep came by. We had no info as to what was next. She told us that this plane would not be ready to fly until the next day and AC was not going to bring another plane here for us. She'd said "YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN" turned and walked away. I noticed a smiley type of smirk on her face when she walked away leaving over 60 people to fend for ourselves. It felt like she was amused at our plight. This occurred more than 4 years ago and I have not flown Air Canada since. I wish they would change their name to Air Maybe and take the Canada out as I am ashamed such a bad airline has ties in Canada.

Original review: March 15, 2019

February 12 was a bad day for air traffic. Canada, from east to west was beaten up by winter storms. The trip from Kelowna to Sint Maarten was pure hell. But safety first, so I don't blame Air Canada. But of course our luggage was lost and we only had winter clothes in Sunny Sint Maarten. So my wife, son and me bought the very minimum to survive 4 days without luggage.

Back home my wife spend two hours collection all the information about the luggage, receipts, labels etc to send to Air Canada. 4 days later Air Canada responded to ask my wife to do her homework all over again. We are talking here about 250 Can$ for three people who didn't had their luggage during four days. So instead of giving a min amount a day for a lost bags, Canada punish their clients by asking in a very arrogant way to spend hours and hours to get the little money they own their clients. The people on the planes are pretty nice on Air Canada, but the red tape people working in the office are just awful, short minded bureaucrats. People are always complaining about politicians. Better start complaining about those office people.

Original review: March 14, 2019

Flew Air Canada to Shanghai, China on cold wet days, Feb 9, 2019. Baggage was missing for quite a few families. We were promised our luggage on the following day but it never arrived until the fourth day. Apparently, the bags ended up in another city by mistake. It was cold and wet in Shanghai and my long down jacket was in the missing bag. My husband has severe ankylosing spondylitis, a spinal condition that requires special sleeping pillow and aid which is also part of our missing luggage. We had no change of clothes for four days.

We purchased medical travel insurance but not the baggage insurance. Also every day we were promised our bags for the next days so did not go clothes shopping. The time we spent waiting for our missing bags was about one-sixth of the length of our trip. On some nights we were told the bags would arrive after midnight and therefore we had to stay up but the bags never came and we had to call customer service in the morning again. I can't help but think Air Canada had my trip ruined.

Original review: March 13, 2019

After arrived from Brazil in Toronto with a final destination to Cleveland, OH. I found out that my flight to Cleveland was cancel. I was "helped" by a agent named KAKA, when asked her why was the flight canceled very rudely she answered that the plane was on the ground. I said, "So if the plane is on ground why it is not available to flight", then she very rudely answered again, "If the plane is on ground it means it is broken, on maintenance. Do you understand now?" Then she gave us a voucher for $10 Canadian dollar each to cover the delay.

The flight was supposed to departure at 8:35 and end up turning to be an 12:40pm. To make things even worst after traveling 5h driving, 3h waiting at airport and 9h flying from Brazil to Canada with 2 little kids (5 and 3 years old) and a pregnant wife (5 months) I decided to seat at 3 different breakfast restaurants and I found out that each plate cost $15 average, and the voucher was $10 Canadian dollars each.

What a bad company, what a bad customer service and what a frustrating never do it again trip with this bad airline. Not to say that takes over 40min to go through the immigration which offers only 3 officers to every 80 people. If you have the option to pay a little more, or to get another flight that is going to take few more time I would strongly suggest you to fly with another airline. Air Canada I hope never again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Air Canada?

Original review: March 11, 2019

I have had two flights canceled in a one month period along with one delayed flight and lost bags. One month later I still have not received a refund for my canceled flights even though I booked flights the next day. Waiting for them investigate still. Really!!! Perhaps they should look at how often I fly although it appears that doesn't matter. I can understand the weather is out of their hands but refunds aren't. Thinking my colleagues and I will be flying with another airline every week from now on. Advice: Don't use them if you don't have to.

Original review: March 9, 2019

On Feb. 9/19, my niece & I were bumped off a Montreal to London, ON flight & offered $400 CASH EACH. I gave the clerk all my info & when I got home there were two $400 travel vouchers in my email. I sent an email to their customer service and learned that the $800 cash was bumped to $800 vouchers which is now bumped to one future fare at 30% off. In questioning their email decisions, more blatant lies have been perpetrated and no honest resolution given.

Original review: March 8, 2019

Came back from Mardi gras, plane 1.5 hrs late, they said due to weather but they say that to cover themselves. Ran to the connecting flight in Pearson we were two minutes early, we saw the plane sitting there only for them to tell us we were too late, when in actuality they gave our seats up to standby??? Then the real nightmare started, trying to get any answers out of tweedle dee and dum was like pulling teeth, we got railroaded around Pearson for hours only to find out no one knows wtf is going on. Told us they can get us out on Thursday. It's Monday??? We found our own flights only for them to say, "No we aren't booking those for you," never paid our three days in the hotel, oh ya and didn't have our luggage for the three days we had to wait, complete bs, what a joke of an airline.

Everyone Air Canada employee working at Pearson that day should be ashamed, but I know they are not because Air Canada is a joke along w/ their employees, will never fly w/ this airline again. Was a complete joke I give it a -10/10. A disgrace and to the people behind the help desk, you are completely useless and are no better than the corporate Pos you work for, I hope this airline goes under. I'm sure it will and all you ** are out of a job, absolutely disgusted.

Original review: March 8, 2019

Great for business travelers and the seats are more comfortable than the competitors. Once you hit privileged status flying with them is great. Would like to see real special offers though. Sometimes most of their deals aren’t really deals.

Original review: March 7, 2019

Flight from Toronto to Fort Myers was late. Return flight from Fort Myers to Toronto was also delayed. Once in Toronto, flight from Toronto to Timmins was delayed several times well as the gate number was changed 4 times. The Air Canada Rouge plane is smaller than my bedroom so it was very cramped and uncomfortable. When flying out of the country, I am stuck with Air Canada was most connecting flights fly from Pearson.

Original review: March 6, 2019

Very reliable airline, no issues with the aircrafts, fairly new, clean, mechanically well maintained. However, they don't offer pillows or blankets on board, unless you purchase them... Onboard meals, not always available for purchase. Overall, my favorite airline.

Original review: March 5, 2019

My husband and I have decided not to fly with Air Canada anymore. Hour and half late departing Montego Bay Jamaica no snacks just a beverage for a 4 hour flight which turned into a six and a half hours flight. We sat on the tarmac for an hour and a half waiting to unboard the flight. With little or no updates until people were showing signs of frustration no offer of a complimentary drink or snack. When we landed we were told we would be off in 10 to 15mins which was a lie, it was an hour and a half later. With the seat belts sign on we were not allow to use the washroom for over an hour. Good way to ruin someone's vacation.

Secondly in the airport with a few hours layover all the chairs have arms with more than a 100 persons sleeping on the floor. Leaves one to believe air Canada must be working with the hotels forcing their customers to spend money on a hotel room they would be using for less than 3 hours. No consideration towards their customers. They seems to be taking away more every time we fly. For a long vacation like what we take each year they expect people go without clothes because they only allow the small carry on for free. Every check bag you have to pay for which In that case when someone is traveling out of the country should at least be allowed one checked bag free and pay for any other one after that.

Original review: March 2, 2019

Air Canada left our group of 33 waiting in the airport from 7:30 A.M. until 4 P. M and gave Delay, Delay, Delay, all day until finally around 4 P.M. they cancelled the flight. At first they claimed it was a weather problem in Toronto & then we heard the plane had a mechanical problem & had to go back to Toronto. They never sent another plane that day. Our group leader called the CEO of Air Canada & got us an overnight stay at the local Hilton in Nashville and a $17 food voucher for 2 people which won't buy much at a Hilton Hotel.

They promised our tickets would be fixed by the next day. Again we arrived at 7:30 A.M. There was no agent at the counter & when she finally did arrive there were no tickets available! Our leaders began to pressure her to do something & finally around 11 A.M. we got tickets but it another stop and layover was added in Zurich, Switzerland. So we flew from Nashville to Toronto to Zurich and then on to Tel Aviv. Bottom line: It took us 3 days to get from Nashville, TN to Tel Aviv, Israel. On the way back the flight was an hour late leaving Tel Aviv. NEVER FLY THIS AIRLINE! They operate as though they are in bankruptcy. Reminds me of the old TWA!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I tried to call to change my reservation. I couldn't make it to the airport because my bus was delayed due to the weather condition. I was really frustrated by the situation, and you guys made it worse because nobody answered my call. I called 5 times for 30 minutes but nobody answered. When I asked to the ticketing desk at the airport, they couldn't change my schedule and told me that refund was also unavailable. That's okay. Refund is not the matter. But I had really bad experience that day, and had to spend 600 dollars to buy the ticket of WestJet. I was disappointed by the service of Air Canada, and few flight options, which was the reason I had to use WestJet. How disappointing!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

The Air Canada is one of the worst airlines in the world that I have ever experienced before. It was on 3rd of Jan 2019, I was flying from Seattle (Sea-Tac) International airport to Kathmandu Nepal via Vancouver, Canada, Guangzhou, China to Kathmandu. I would like to list out below. First thing I went to check in at the counter of Air Canada, the guy charged me $100 for the 2nd luggage. It is simple understanding that all the airlines in the world if we are travelling any other country from USA. But the guys said oh the China Southern Airlines has started charging for the 2nd luggage that's why you got charge of $100. Then I had no choice because I could leave my luggage at airport and trash all my stuff. Which was ridiculous

I had connection flight from Vancouver to Guangzhou via China Southern Airlines. I missed that flight because the flight was delay from Seattle to Vancouver by more than 1 hr 30 min. It was just 24 min flight from Seattle to Vancouver but it took forever to get there. Once I got to the China Southern counter they said, "We cannot take you because you are late. You should go back to the Air Canada and ask them." Then other 2 passenger to Manila and I were escorted to Air Canada counter where we can file the complaint and get the new route to the destination. After waiting almost an hour or more, I got chance to complain about the delay flight. The person helped me out and reroute the travel to Kathmandu via India (Delhi) after 12 hrs (00.15 am, 4th of Jan 2019. And I requested to have a hotel but they did not even want listen to me and directly deny it. There was no respect to the passenger at all. It was horrible service.

When I was rerouted from Vancouver to Delhi, I went to the custom to clear my Luggage the airlines people that I spoke over the phone (because we were not allowed to go inside and they have telephone just outside the door) they said your luggages have been routed to via Delhi. So I had no choice thereafter and I waited for more than twelve hours at the airport. The next spot Delhi, this is another horrible airport and the airlines people they acted me at the transfer counter. I was hold for more than 3 hrs at the counter because they said they want to make sure my luggages have been transfer to air India. But I have been asking them more than 10 times every time they said just give us 5 to 10 minutes.

You know the surprising thing. the person who normally handle the luggages to transfer he said your luggages have been in custom and it is clearing now then after they will be shifted to air India from Delhi to Kathmandu flight (5th of Jan Morning). It was just 10 minutes time left to boarding to the aircraft but still they did not issue me the boarding pass unless I had to declare that I am flying without luggages. I got the boarding pass after that saying I am flying without luggages right before 10 min to boarding. When I got the boarding counter almost all passengers had gone to aircraft. I was the last one because I did not want to miss the flight.

When I got to Kathmandu There were no my luggages. I complained to Air India but they have already mentioned that I was flying without Luggages. But requested them and they file the complain that I lost my both luggages. Every once a day I have been checking with them and almost every day I used to have different answer. Some time they said your luggages are in Delhi, Sometimes they said your luggages are in London, sometimes they said your luggages are not be fund. Finally after a week later one friend of mine who is working in different airline based on Kathmandu, he followed up the lost luggages and fund that both luggages are still in Vancouver Canada. Then he requested to re send the luggages to Kathmandu. And finally I got both luggages after 8 days.

Can you imagine how did I survive without luggages specially clothing? I had to buy all the necessary stuff to live in Kathmandu. When I went to check the China Southern Airlines in Kathmandu they said they never charged any money for the second luggage (each luggage less than 50 LB). And I wanted to postpone the returning flight from 27th of Jan to mid of Feb. They said you have to pay the fare different amount. And I said how much? it was more than $700. What the hell is this??? If you have already paid and you want reschedule the flight there should be minimum charge not like more than one ticket fare. So I did not show up on 27th of Jan. I bought another ticket from Korean AIR from Kathmandu via Korea to Seattle on 19th of Feb.

It was absolutely bad experience through both airlines (Air Canada and China Southern airlines). None of the airlines or the staff from different airlines in the transfer are responsible for the passenger (specially transfer passenger at Delhi Airport). Please do not USE both airlines- Air CANADA AND CHINA SOUTHERN in your enter life and let everyone know about their service. I am not the who is complaining about. I have got all the prove if the airlines wants to prove. They can check through my name (Durga **) in the both airlines.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

Never gonna take Air Canada again, took a lot of time to get through any process, they rejected to give "confirmed bassinet" for 1 year baby, rejected to provide special assistance for my mother travelling alone with an infant. We got wheel chair service confirmed but they rejected it because she can walk and it's not safe to take baby in wheel chair(understandable totally), then we requested to help her to pass the security at least because she can't at least speak English (without carrying her luggage and baby) they rejected that too.

Worst thing ever, a lady came to help us but other staff in special assistance department forcing her not to help us. "If any staff are doing this in Air Canada, that says a lot about the company itself". Spoiling the country name by naming the Airline "Air Canada". Show some courtesy to old/non-English speakers travelling alone and be polite to the customers as they are paying for the tickets, not travelling for free of cost. If the flight wasn't delayed she would had missed her flight.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I have had 3 out of 3 very bad experiences with Air Canada. All of these experiences were due to factors completely within the control of Air Canada and Air Canada employees (not weather or mechanical failures, etc). They never wanted to take responsibility for any of their actions. After going through their atrocious customer service system (email only, no phone number, long response times, or finally not respond all together, etc. etc.) all they could offer me was a credit or discount on my next flight.

I gave them a very easy and cost free to them opportunity to make it right and they did not do it. I wanted them to correct the current situation, not give me a discount on a future flight. This is all they do so they can get you to come back and purchase more from them. I will never choose to fly Air Canada again if I don’t have to. I have an unused 20% off promo code if anyone for some reason has to fly Air Canada and would like to use it. Promo code is **.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

Flight from Montreal to Las Vegas is 5.5 hours long. I'm only 6'1" tall and my legs could not fit into the seat at all. I was 2 rows back from business class where they had extra seats. I offered to pay the extra price but they said they could not do that. My feet went numb, my knees were in pain, the lady in front could feel each time I wiggled my toes. When I issued a complaint (only available by email, no phone number to call in) they offered me a $100 coupon of my next flight and no remedy to ensure the next flight wouldn't have the same painful seating. The company needs to guarantee they would NEVER use the Airbus 319M again EVER unless they remove a row of seats and make room for everyone. BRUTAL. I am only flying WestJet now - and even driving to Buffalo to fly JetBlue. Air Canada simply does NOT care about customer service.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

If there was a negative star, I would use that. First of all, our flight from Madrid to Frankfurt was delayed (not a problem at all as Lufthansa apologized sincerely and explained the reason for the delay was to ensure our safety). Our connecting flight was with Air Canada. We made it JUST on time and as we approached boarding they did not let us in because “it was too late”. The person in front of us got let in seconds before us and we watched him walk in. When we told her we had a connecting flight that was delayed she replied “I know. Go see Lufthansa." Also FYI - the flight left EARLY. We got rebooked for the next day at 10 am from Frankfurt to Toronto. When trying to check in there was an error - so we went to the counter to check in and of course...we were booked on an overbooked flight.

The lady at the counter in Frankfurt (I believe her name was Hebayet??? Unsure of the spelling - it may be incorrect) told us she would get us on the waiting list and to put our check in bags on the machines. She left for like 15 minutes to seek help because she was unable to work her system and in the meantime one of our luggages went through. We thought that meant that we were on the flight. But OF COURSE when she came back she said waiting list confirmed unsure whether we are on that flight...and asks “Only 1 check in bag?” When we said "2...1 JUST went in," she immediately got defensive and said “It wasn’t me. It was a mechanical error.” I get it. Mistakes happen but she was rude when I asked “Can you please find my bag??? You lost it and it has no label”. She replied “Hold on lady. You’re driving me crazy.” You just lost my bag and I’m the one driving you crazy? Have some manners!

Just to avoid further confrontation she gave me a label (of course). Upon arriving to Toronto - the bag did not show up (obviously). Called 3 times and emailed. I travel on AC quite a bit - most of my positive experiences are moderate at best, the rest are terrible. They have no compassion or care for their customers and I wish one day Air Canada will no longer be a monopoly. I would walk into a plague rather than flying with Air Canada.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

When I checked into my flight in San Jose, Costa Rica I asked the AC Agent if I would have to retrieve my checked bag in Toronto before heading to my connecting flight to Calgary. He said, "No. Your bag will be checked through to Calgary". At the same time, I told him my delayed flight from SJO to YYZ was going to make me miss my connecting flight to YYC so I asked him to change my connector to the 20:55 flight. He said he did this but didn't issue me a boarding pass for that flight. After landing in Toronto, I went to get a boarding pass from the AC connections booth. I asked the AC agent for a boarding pass for flight AC155 and she told me I was not booked on that flight.

She also told me I had to go back and collect my checked bag from the carousel (conflicting with what I had been told in SJO). Due to a delayed offloading in YYZ and running around trying to get a boarding pass and my checked bag through security, I missed my connecting flight to Calgary. As this was the last flight of the night, I had to spend the night in the airport to catch the earliest flight in the morning. I was told I did not qualify for a hotel room. The only compensation I've received is $30 in meal voucher plus a meal voucher on my connector in the morning. I am absolutely appalled by this service and will never fly with AC again.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

First of all, I get that weather can be an issue. Our flight was cancelled, okay. But tell me why no one here has half a brain cell to operate basic functions? I asked the same lady a question about our luggage and I received two different responses. One, they would be available to pick up. Two, they would be sent to the airline directly. Seriously? Then when I have to check in once more, I had to speak to 6 people in regards to what to do.

Each time I was sent to different lines by one person after the other. When I asked for accommodations, which they offer international travelers with cancelled flights, I had to wait in line again to be told to wait to the side for 30 mins (and counting.) while waiting here, I have witnessed the manager (Isabelle) being outstandingly rude to another guest and a clerk get out of his position to chat with coworkers when people were late to their flight. When confronted, he laughed it off and was also rude to them. Needless to say, I’m STILL waiting. This is unbelievable and their guest service is piss poor at best. Don’t book here.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

I took a non-stop from Toronto to Dubai/return, preferred seating. The departure was an hour delayed. It was annoying to hear loud repeated announcements that not all carry on luggage will be able to fit on the aircraft, this should have been resolved when we checked in with our luggages. When it came to boarding the aircraft... Again loud annoying announcements. Some staff were not very pleasant when you asked for water or coffee. I asked a stewardess how much time was until landing, she replied I should go back to my seat and find it on the screen. Another thing I observed on Air Canada after serving hot drinks, they would turn on the seatbelt sign, stop serving coffee... There was no turbulences. Either the staff are not paid well/union attitude, I will definitely look at alternate airlines before Air Canada. The flight back to Toronto was 45 min delayed.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

I was on hold with Air Canada vacations for over 3 hours. My first call was received after an hour and a half by customer service department then I was forwarded to another department. After 15 mins on hold again my phone died and I had to start all over again. I was driving to the airport when I finally reached the department that I needed to find out that nothing could be done by then because the people that could help me were closed till the next day. Everything got put to rights the next day but it was beyond painful for the hours on hold.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

My parents were on their return flight (AC872 from Toronto to Frankfurt). At the check-in there was just one kiosk open for that flight. The person on the kiosk was so overworked that she forgot to tell my parents the gate number and the boarding time. Meanwhile another line adjacent to us had multiple kiosks open for their flight. My parents felt like they were second class citizens. For every person processed from our line, 3 or 4 people were processed from the adjacent line.

After, when my parents were on their way to their gate, my father's jacket was somehow lost going through the security x-ray machine. My parents had to enquire about the whereabouts of the jacket for more than 30 minutes. My parents don't speak English and my dad has Parkinson's disease, so this was for them a most unpleasant flight experience. There were so many workers, but they were all clueless/incompetent in finding my father's jacket. They even offered my dad different jackets!? Luckily, one lady was found who spoke their language and could help them locate the missing jacket. After the jacket was finally found there was no explanation regarding where it was. Shame on Air Canada for providing such incompetent service.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

SO I buy 1 ticket to Europe on the internet Jan 11. And to my surprise not clear before you buy the ticket is that they have changed the baggage for Economy now called Economy Basic. When I checked in they told me there was an additional charge of 60 dollars to check in a bag one way and another 60 dollars to return. Good thing I had my Visa because otherwise I would have not been able to pay and missed the flight. Once I was on the plane there was no cargo storage for my carry on and I had to stow under the front seat making for a very crammed flight. They may have fooled people into making a few extra dollars and when I inquired their answer was some European Airlines are charging 250 a bag. For sure next flight out to Europe is with KLM. Tired of the Air Canada low quality and this baggage policy that and the awful food they serve.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Air Canada is always late, never on time. This I have learned to deal with over time. However, sitting next to a cracked window after being moved without choice for 4.5 hrs was not an experience worth the cost of flying with Air Canada. They could only move me backward and had originally moved me without my request due to a dog. I’m extremely unimpressed and for someone who flies >15 times a year, I will do all I can to avoid this horrid airline. The Captain on AC756 departing SFO at 12:10pm (PDT) even came by simply to reassure me that the window will not break in flight but was unable to offer a better or equivalent seat on the aircraft. I simply asked for wifi access during the flight to compensate for my disoriented view and this could not even be accommodated.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Their staff at Vancouver at the US desk was a joke. Horrible customer service, oversensitive women who sulked and ran away like spurned teenage girls when I told them I wanted to talk to a superior, ** customer service cashier who wanted to show dominance over the customers?! I mean, WTF, what a joke of an operation is being run at Air Canada in Vancouver. Save your time and spend the extra money to fly with a better airline.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

I've traveled from India to USA with Air Canada. During my travel they've missed my baggage and they were clueless in finding/locating my baggage for days. I literally had my 2 full bags and one cabin checked in with them. I've called customer service but they were of no help. For everything they've asked me to go read online and fill the forms, which I did and when I bought basic things needed for that time and submitted the expense form. Customer service reached out to me via email and just told me that they wouldn't be responsible for the expense. It's such a disappointment traveling with them. I've even lost my new smartwatch in the flight for which again they had no clue or weren't they sorry for the loss. If anyone has any self respect please don't fly with these airlines as they are such a horror. Never experienced such a situation with any airlines that I traveled till date.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

Had to cancel multi-leg flight due to urgent medical issue. Flights were booked through United, but included flights with Air Canada as Star Alliance partner. United immediately refunded our costs and restored our award miles, but Air Canada has been non-responsive regarding refunded seat upgrade purchased through them for their flights. Only response since my late September online submission of refund request has been email acknowledgement of request and in that email a promise to resolve in 6 weeks. Have tried to email the team associated with the refund process and even included CEO on last email, but no response to date.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I arranged a booking with Air Canada cargo for my animal to fly from Canada. They can't be trusted. I was told one thing, then spent significant money, time and resources, then told another. No offer to compensate as a result of Air Canada's change. I suggest another carrier if moving your animal. I'd avoid flying with them altogether if my experience is indicative of their practices.

Air Canada Company Information