2.6/5 (41 ratings)

About Air Canada

Air Canada Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Air Canada?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Air Canada?

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

Air Canada is like a scammer!! A promotional fare in March 2019 SFO YVR TPE round trip business class, changeable and refundable with a fee USD150 was published. Stupid me bought it to fly in January 2020. Of course ticket and receipt were sent via email. By November the BOEING MAX problems caused AC to change their schedule at least 10 times. Their flights no longer work for me so I called to cancel, paying penalty. Email confirmation was never received. So I got worried. Somehow their phone system stopped working as well, holding time is always about an hour. I understand my refund could be lost totally so I went online to request a ticket refund. Air Canada is a mess. Not trustworthy at all. I’ll avoid them at all cost. Since my last online request, further inquiry was to no avail because my ticket confirmation number already disappeared. Online review shows their refund can take up a year? What a scam!

Original review: Dec. 24, 2019

I flew last night from Mexico city via Toronto to Regina, Air Canada flight from Mexico city was delayed, so I lost my flight to Regina, then they change my flight and sent me to Regina via Winnipeg so I can make it on time and spend Christmas eve with my family, so I'm stuck in Winnipeg with another 4 hours delayed flight to Regina, zero helpful, staff has the worst attitude ever, I traveled the world with different airlines and no airline ever has this awful service, do not fly Air Canada and save yourself a hassle, I’m never doing it again!!!!

Original review: Dec. 24, 2019

I am currently on my return leg home with my service dog in Frankfurt. Connecting from a Lufthansa flight. The ground staff made a huge mess about my dog being on cabin even though he was brought on cabin on AC flights. They were unbelievably dismissive and rude causing an anxiety attack. As a Canadian I am appalled by the treatment my own country's airline gives. Will never ever fly with them again. Lastly the dog in question is my service animal.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2019

Internships, Scholars and foreign students in US, DON'T TAKE this airline, high risk to lose your ticket. Our lawful status in the US is through forms (DS2010, i20...), and same with an expired US foil (stamps) in your passport, you have a lawful presence in the US. The problem is that AIR CANADA (and Canada country) uses your US foil to give yOu permission to have a trip to your country of citizenship. In my case, I bought a ticket from Air Canada from RDU (US) to Brazil (my country of citizenship), and they did not permit me to take the flight. I was in a lawful presence in the US (with form DS2019). US foreign students and scholars, AVOID Air Canada.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2019

Had to book a ticket for my infant who is less than two during departure and more than two upon arrival. Website say in this case book by calling to Air Canada but unbelievably more than two and a half hour waiting time time with no agent on line really hurts a lot. Even so small companies provide good customer service for their customers. Lot of bad words for the new system air Canada following. Fix this thing before people start to run from you to other flight carrier companies. If anybody have answer for this query please reply.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

Do not fly with Air Canada. They always have delays and don’t give any explanations. I was flying from Portland to Toronto via Vancouver and my flight from Portland to Toronto got delayed by an hour for whatever reason. This caused me to miss my connecting flight because the ground staff decided that I was too late so they gave my seat away. I’m now missing a day of work because I have to use the day to sleep because I’ve been in airports/planes for 16 hrs. They gave me a $15 voucher for food which made up for ALL the inconveniences that came along with this mishap. Not!

They’ve done this before with me where they delayed a flight going from Toronto to Las Vegas for 8 hrs! 8 HOURS! Their food is not great and they make you purchase it. Their planes are old, dirty and uncomfortable. Their smaller short-haul propeller planes are loud making it impossible to get any sleep. I will never fly with Air Canada ever again. It makes me disappointed in a Canadian branded airline/product.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

AC changed my return flight a day earlier without my consent. Unable to make any contact before departure. IN flight crew loud and rude, accused me of illegally moving my seat, which was untrue. Did not apologize, but ignore me the whole flight.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

My dad, 83 yrs, was stopped from boarding his plane in Winnipeg to travel to Perth Australia to visit us. The check-in person thought my dad did not hold a proper visa, but he does. Employees need better training. I called Air Canada and waited for 1 hour to speak to someone. He said he understood but could not help and said my dad had to contact his travel agent to re-book 3 flights. I questioned the employee as to why he could not re-book flights for my dad. He hung up on me. I expect my dad to be compensated by Air Canada, but when it is virtually impossible to contact anyone... Terrible service.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2019

Air Canada rescheduled part of a Windsor to Timmins flight such that I had a 6 hour layover in Toronto. It is my preference to cancel the Windsor to Timmins leg (Booked Porter) and keep the Timmins to Winsor return flight. Air Canada's website states I cannot modify what they have re-scheduled for me online. I have to call them. As I am a frequent flyer, I have a "priority" number I can call. I listened to their canned music for 35 minutes, punctuated by a recording urging me to use their online service. I frequently fly out of Detroit (never Air Canada) and can say with certainty that Air Canada could learn a lot about customer service from many American companies.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

Booked a family Vacation in late Feb for a trip to Cancun in December. Trip in less than 2 weeks but can not get documents for hotel or flight. Phoned every number on the web page but just get passed around if the phone gets answered at all. Emails do not help. Will never book with Air Canada again.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

I have several flights booked on Air Canada. They sent me an email stating one of the flights departure time has been changed by several hours. As this was a one day return flight, it is now impossible for me to get the return flight back. I called Air Canada....only to get a recording stating they have a new system and cannot accept calls....hello, they screwed up my flight and have no-one to help solve the problem. I went onto the website and filled out the very long form for customer service. I got a reply back, again stating they are busy and it will take 3 weeks to get back to me. This is the worst excuse for customer service I have ever heard of. DO NOT BOOK ON AIR CANADA. How can this crap be legal????

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

I would like to report a really poor customer experience that I had on my recent flight on Air Canada. I am a senior citizen, retired, and suffer from severe diabetes and I am on prescription medications. When purchasing my return ticket between Toronto to Delhi I had clearly indicated that I am a vegetarian and that my meals on the flight should be vegetarian.

I was served too during my journeys during going to Delhi and while returning by air Canada operated Lufthansa airlines but after reaching Frankfurt when I took Air Canada flight I was told that for me there was no vegetarian meal available. During this long journey it was lunchtime and my sugar was going extremely low I requested the air hostess, "How come you say that I will be deprived from veg meal" and also showed her my itinerary that Asian Vegetarian meal was mentioned along with special needs. I was forced to eat given me alternate cookies and things like that and was deprived from the mail vegetarian meal of rice with dal etc.

It was really frustrating because as a diabetic person I need to have my vegetarian meals (rice and dals etc) in order to manage my blood insulin levels. The flight attendants were rude and insensitive to my requests. Finally after much discussion they agreed to provide me some cookies and pastries etc which I don't like as a substitute to the meal.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

For the last few years I have been receiving emails about the supposed improvements in Air Canada customers' benefits after launching of the new Altitude program. The current Aeroplan program used to be owned by Air Canada, now it belongs to a different company and Air Canada is supposedly planning to regain the control of it. The result of the improvements: It's currently impossible to contact Air Canada staff and discuss mile redemption. I have spent the last 30 minutes on the phone listening to the lounge music and waiting for the somebody to pick up the phone. If I ever manage to redeem my 60,000 miles, I will certainly choose a different alliance member to accumulate new miles.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

Air Canada sees absolutely no problem with cancelling your flights without telling you and leaving you stranded across the country with no recourse. Their web app stops working for rebooking travel as soon as any flight is delayed/cancelled, telling you to call in person, but hold times are regularly in the range of 1-2 hours for the initial hold followed by several extended holds by the rep, which means that many of your other flight options will be slipping away as you listen to the same 3 minute clip of elevator music over and over and over and over. My flight was cancelled due to weather but I didn't receive any email notification until 2h after the cancellation, and then they just cancelled with no attempt to rebook. After several hours on the phone they put me on a new flight, which I quickly found out had already been cancelled so I got to restart the whole process. Currently still stranded, hope I don't die here, peace.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

AC is going downhill, many delays not weather related, but equipment and staffing. Have had 3 trips in a row cancelled in past 2 months, 1 weather related. JD Power should take their endorsement away. Long time business traveller, I notice two of remaining US major Carriers have terrific reliable service, communications, attitude, etc. Use them when possible (and much less $$$).

Original review: Nov. 11, 2019

I was on a flight from Vancouver to Brisbane and suffering the after affects of Shingles and was in a lot of pain and discomfort. I want to thank the hostesses one I remember as Susan who came to my aid, I ended up having an injection on the plane which helped me to get through the next 8 hrs. I can't thank Susan and the crew enough for their wonderful care from wonderful people. I even got a hug from one of the beautiful hostesses and a gift of a broch with the Canadian maple leaf on it. I will always remember that flight on Air Canada for the fact I was in so much discomfort and the fact that they went to so much trouble to keep me comfortable. THANK YOU SO MUCH. Greg **

Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

Air Canada Vacations do not follow through with their holiday promises and they leave you high and dry. Given months of chances and numerous e-mails they refuse to do anything for me except give me money off my next trip. NEVER GONNA BE A NEXT ONE. They can jump out of one of their planes without a parachute. Beware of them, they will ruin your holiday and smile while doing it.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2019

I had requested to Air Canada customer services a refund charge waiver for my wife ticket which she had booked through a local travel agent. I had submitted all medical documents from the hospital, however, I had received a response from Air Canada representative who informed me about that we are not eligible for waiver on medical grounds and on the top of that agent advised that ticket is nonrefundable and only valid for future travel credit, which was wrong information. I replied with fare rule and provided the eligibility of refund with refund charge of CAD300.00. I added my comment since Air Canada provided false information they should consider to offer refund with waiver. Agent replied back and advised she has requested a refund in my behalf and refund department will process this refund.

Once ticket was refunded I contact refund department the exact amount and I was told that refund was processed with refund charge and advised me to go back to Customer service for further action. They advised me to use the same complaint number, however, when I replied to the same email which had confirmed refund, they advised me to open a new case.

I submit another request to customer service and instead of admitting their mistake they advised me to reach out to travel agent as they weren't supposed to be contacted since it was a third party reservation. I asked them if it was a third party why did they processed refund with refund charge CAD300.00 without informing me and without my acceptance and asked them to provide a live person contact and provide me cell number to call me back but since then I haven't heard anything. When I contact Air Canada through Twitter they asked to me reach out through email and no further assistance offered. It seems if someone from Air Canada made mistake then they are covered by their team. There is no external phone contact and none is there to reach out for resolution.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2019

In September we had flew from Honolulu to Vancouver. Since my wife cannot sleep sitting straight up and we had a night flight, we bought ourselves two business class tickets. Normally this flight is with a Boeing 737 max, but due to unsafety of this plane, we had to fly with Omni air. We were seated in the front row of this business class. There the problems arose. The space between our seats and the wall in front of us was so small I could not set my feet straight forward. Also our chairs could not go backward in a more comfortable position. The head purser made her apologizes immediately and gave us the address where to complain. This I did and as a reaction we got a discount of CAD 150 whereas we paid more than €1600 for this flight. So they expect us to fly with Air Canada again, spent money on this worthless company to get the discount. No refund is possible.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

This airport is the worst. It looks shiny and new but is filled with employees who are way too relaxed, don’t care, and have a “waiting to retire attitude”. Jacob, a front line Manager at Air Canada is a perfect example of someone who clearly doesn’t care about his job. This is a person who is suppose to be a leader and help you but instead has the monotone attitude that should never be customer facing. I could not imagine having someone so uninspiring be a front facing representative of my company. I guess airlines hire bad people knowing you don’t have a choice and it doesn’t matter.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2019

My wife and I booked two return Premium Economy flights Dublin-Vancouver. Cost was c. Can$ 4,500. The motor on one of our adjoining seats did not work. Neither audio nor visual worked for either of us. Stewart on outgoing flight informed us that it was a plane from Air Portugal (TAP) although livery was Air Canada. He handed us an official complaint form and he seemed to be handing out many of them. Plane was old and when we called Air Canada in Vancouver we were assured that we would be on a different plane on the return journey, so we did not change our seats. As it turned out it was the same plane with the very same problems.

We found Air Canada very difficult to contact and very evasive both on phone and Internet. While they acknowledge all our complaints as being genuine and true they are only offering us $400 Can. In total in the form of a voucher to be used solely on Air Canada. We live in Ireland and are 66 and 72 years old. We do not have any plans to fly to Canada or use AC in the future. We intimated that we did not necessarily need a cash refund if we could receive a voucher to be used in Europe on one of their Alliance airlines. Because it is would not be fair to other aggrieved passengers they could not accommodate us. End of. We paid around $ 2,400 Can. over and above economy class. What about fairness towards us? We were sold a pup and they knew it. Because we are EU citizens we feel that our rights are diminished.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2019

Air Canada advertised a flight as ‘direct’, yet we stopped at an airport for 2 hours and switched planes. On my return flight they refused to sit me with my travel companion although everyone around us was traveling on their own. It was a 9 hour flight with no entertainment offered. Yet they charged me more than $750 to change 2 tickets because I couldn’t catch my flight due to weather conditions. I was unable to talk to anyone from customer service because this department does not exist. They tell you to send an email to Customer Relations, they the assign you a case number and then simply ignore it. I have been waiting for almost 3 weeks!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

I tried to change my daughter's flight with Air Canada. I tried to do it online couldn't. The flight ticket provides that the ticket can be changed with a $150 fee plus fare difference. The fare that I was getting on Air Canada website was $1979. I had paid @$940 for the original return ticket. I was advised the new price would be @$2500 additional. I told them their math didn't make sense. Eventually, after an hour and a half of being on the phone, I asked for a supervisor to be told that one wasn't available. The prices have since been changed online but I did take a screenshot of what I was looking at as well as a photo of how long I had been on the phone. It is unbelievable how Air Canada comes up with its own prices and when you ask something back, they put you hold for 20 minutes recalculating the math (my guess is grabbing a coffee) and then tell you that what you are seeing isn't real.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

Last night we were taking off from Toronto to Montreal to catch a connection to Spain. There was a problem with the plane the AC wasn’t working and there was a technical problem is what they said over the PA. We asked several times and notified them that we have a flight to catch and if they can contact Montreal and let them know we would be late. It took over an hour and half to resolve this problem and there are about 200 people who were on board to confirm this. Air Canada did nothing at all to help us, they left us high and dry. We had tickets to Barcelona game which cost $2000, hotels booked we lost money plus we had to take a cab in Montreal plus hotel they did not pay for. Oh also we had paid for the upgraded seats which we were told we probably wouldn’t get for our next flight out.

When we landed I ran for 10 min to get to the next gate, we got there 10 min before take off time and they would not let us in. They claim that the airport was ** down until just recently. What doesn’t make sense to me is air Canada take about 45 min to board and ready to take off. They could have let us on had anyone from air Canada had tried to help us. We lost over $3500 because of air Canada and they did not give top ** about us. And the attitude they give you at the airport oh my god it’s like they are looking for a fight with you so they don’t have to put you on a plane. I will be recording everything and posting it on social media outlets and sending this to CBC Canada news.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2019

Air Canada sucks. Wrecked everything that could be wrecked in my luggage. Suitcase was obviously mistreated. One of the male stewards was unbelievably rude and ill-tempered. Take-off and landing were both an adventure. Air Canada sucks.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2019

My husband and I lost $1500 because there was no one at the check in counter for us to get our boarding passes. The information we had was to check in 60 minutes before the flight but when we got there a sign was posted saying you had to be there 90 minutes early and we were unable to check in using mobile either. We went to airport information who said there was nothing we could do. We called Air Canada only to be put on hold for 40 minutes waiting for an agent. By the time we talked to someone it was too late to board.

We were told we couldn't even pay a change fee to get the next flight and that we couldn't prove we were there on time. They said we should have just waited around for someone to show up at the counter. We were panicking and crying so the last thing I wanted to do was wait around to be told there was nothing to be done. This was so much money for us to lose and we had to rebook a last minute flight and pay so much more. I am going to try to get some money back by filing a complaint but I will never use this Airline again. They are TERRIBLE.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2019

We were travelling from Barcelona to Halifax and had 1 hour 15 mins transit time between the two flights. This combination of Flights had been suggested by Air Canada itself following the cancellation of the flights we had initially chosen. When we landed at Toronto airport, on schedule, an Air Canada employee was waiting for us and informed us it would not be possible to board our plane to Halifax (for which we already had a boarding card), allegedly because our suitcase would not be in time for the plane. She provided us with a boarding card for the next flight, scheduled to depart 4 hours after ours! And already appearing as delayed in the screens by 40 minutes. Not what we wanted to hear after a 9 hours flight!!!

After clearing immigration we approached the boarding gate of our initial flight to Halifax, as it had not yet departed. At the gate the air Canada attendant told it was not possible to board the flight as our seats had been assigned to other passengers. She told us the flight was overbooked, so no seats available any more. No mention about suitcases.

We decided to go to customer support desk to see if we were entitled to some compensation and also if they could assign seats for the next flight. The customer support gave us each one meal voucher for 15CAN$, and also informed us they could not assign any seats in the next flight as it was overbooked, so we would only be able to board it if someone missed it, or if they found some volunteers to go on the next flight. Shortly before boarding began, air Canada asked for volunteers to fly in the next fly, they offered 300 $ cash or 400$ in voucher for other flights. We finally left for Halifax 4h50’ later than planned.

It seems to us what really happened is that air Canada, aware that the flight was overbooked, decided to move us to the next flight, so they could save some money; our alleged “missed connection” costed them 30$, 20 times Cheaper than what they paid for the overbooked seats to the passengers that volunteered. What’s more, if we had not approached the customer desk of our own initiative to ask about this, they would have even saved themselves the 30$. And of course, while we were waiting at the airport we had the opportunity to observe some Air Canada staff rushing customers to their transit flights; as it was later in the day, perhaps they would have been forced to pay for the night if those passengers had missed their connecting flights....

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

We purchased our tickets several months ahead to fly from Barcelona to Dallas with a connecting flight in Toronto and a 2-hour layover. Our flight from Barcelona was delayed for an hour without any explanation why. When we got to Toronto we were bumped from our flight and the reason we were given initially was that we arrived too late for our luggage to be transferred even though there was still an hour to spare to clear US customs. We were transferred to a flight leaving 4 hours later. We were given 10 Canadian dollars as food vouchers, barely enough to even purchase a bowl of soup, much less a decent sandwich.

When we went over to Customer Service to try to get an earlier flight, the Air Canada employee there was rude, unhelpful, blamed US Customs for not clearing our baggage in time, which didn’t make much sense since it was their delayed flight that made our arrival in Toronto an hour late. Then the departure gate for this 8 PM flight was changed without so much as an announcement. It was a good thing we rechecked our flight information a few minutes before departure or we would have been left behind again. There was no announcement of boarding either. The food was mediocre. Flight update on our phone app was very late, too late to make other arrangements. We will never fly Air Canada ever again. We have also warned family and friends to avoid this airline.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

Air Canada, and quite frankly everything in Canada, is anti-American. On a trip from Colorado to Florence, Italy, our connection took us through Toronto on Air Canada. When arriving, Canadian border patrol ushered half the Americans on the plane to a holding area, and most of us missed our flight. We were harassed, threatened, and scared outright. For a dream vacation, Canada and Air Canada, prevented getting there on time or at all. Be safe and avoid any connections through Canada. I would avoid Air Canada all together. I lost so much time and money, and was 2 days late getting to Florence. This was our honeymoon, and my wife was mortified at the entire event.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

I was on a call recently with one of their customer service agents. She raised her voice at me, yelled at me, basically called me a liar, and laughed at me for asking for someone to honour what I had been previously told by another agent. When I asked her to verify the name of the agent on the call recording they listened to, to verify my information, she said "by law" I'm not required to. I have their name already, I'm asking for verification that you actually listened to the previous call. She continued to raise her voice at me and interrupted me with "no!" every time I tried to start talking. I felt humiliated.

I did not misunderstand, I did not "mishear" the information. I am not a joke, don't laugh and scoff at me. To treat a customer in this way is borderline abusive. You would not talk to anyone of your equal that way. Or any human being for that matter. And she treated me in a way that I was obviously below her. I was so upset, I cancelled the flights altogether, losing $200/person, rather than dealing with a credit from this airline. To top it off, Air Canada brushed off my concerns of the way their agent treated me, by beginning each response with "rest assured". When I asked for their management team to respond to me, my request was completely ignored altogether. "Rest assured" I will not be booking with Air Canada again.

Air Canada Company Information