2. Travel

Aeromexico Reviews

Aeromexico
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.30/5

Aeromexico Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aeromexico?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aeromexico?

Original review: July 9, 2020

I purchased my tickets to Guatemala that came out to almost $2400 in total earlier this year. I receive notification that my flight was cancelled. I emailed several letters, called several times, and was told I would only be given a voucher to be used by April 30, 2020. I don't anticipate wanting to use a voucher in a short period of time given the circumstances we are in. Guatemala's borders aren't even open still. As stated by many here this country doesn't care about its customers' financial and physical well-being. They should at least extend the voucher for another two years and not one. Two of our passengers are elderly and to force them to expose themselves or lose money this way is unethical. One other passenger has autoimmune disorder issues, as well. We wish we would have known these would be the practices and instead had gone through our banks.

Original review: June 29, 2020

I purchased a round trip ticket to Puerto Vallarta for July 23-26. I received an email 3 weeks later saying my flight has been changed to July 22-27 due to COVID. I booked my flight during the COVID period. I can not take these new reassigned flights and Aeromexico will not refund my money.

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 3, 2020

My family and I booked our flight tickets for Mexico in March and we were looking forward to our vacation in July. Unfortunately due to the COVID outbreak we were starting to reconsider the trip and called customer service to inquire about our options. We contacted Aeroméxico in March to request a refund (over $3,000CAD). We were directed not to be haste and to hold on for a while longer, until we were closer to the departure date. In May we called again Aeroméxico, requesting a refund for the 4 round flight tickets and we were informed, that unfortunately that would not be possible. The gentleman was very courteous, acknowledged our feelings and explained their policies regarding a refund. He then proceeded to inform us that Aeroméxico would, however, allow us to reissue the tickets for a later date; however, the flights would have to be rescheduled for a date no later than April 30th, 2020.

At that point I e-mailed several letters to Aeroméxico Customer Service department and requested them to please extend the vouchers deadline (provided them with a time frame that would work for us) and explained valid reasons why we would not be able to travel within the time frame given. We also stated the reasons why we would not be able to travel this July. In my letter I also mentioned that I have been a frequent customer and I have always enjoyed traveling with their airline and would like to continue to be a loyal customer. (We love Mexico and we love to travel there.)

At the end, they stated that they appreciated our patience in resolving the matter and have extended our voucher's validity to our satisfaction. Would we have like a refund? Yes, of course! However, we tend to forget that everyone has been affected by the COVID pandemic, even big corporations have lost and are continuing to lose billions of dollars due to this unprecedented situation. All of us need to be united, be understanding and try to find a compromise in which both parties will be pleased with the outcome. When filing a complaint, my advice is the following: Write a tactful and well written letter, state how you would like to resolve the matter, try to compromise and be persistent. Good luck to all of you!

Original review: May 26, 2020

I feel robbed with this airline. I had a trip to Cuba with Delta that was cancelled amid COVID. I requested my refund without any problem. I have friends that were traveling with Iberia, Airways and British. They are receiving their money back. However, when I tried to get my money back from a cancelled flight amid Covid, it was horrible.

To begin, I would like to say it was very hard to get someone. I tried all the numbers, the chat, no emails, messenger with a robot. Days of trying and waiting. I want to clarify that I understand this time that we are living, but in my opinion this was extreme. After exhaustion I finally was able to chat with someone. I wanted to change my flight to September. They wanted to charge me like $80 more per ticket and we are for 4. Just to change what was cancelled. For every written response I had to wait 5 minutes. It was not fluid. If you like it or not that's it. Pay more or lose it. Refund is not an option. The guy was telling me it was not their fault. It's not one's fault. You just suppose to take care of your clients. Lesson learned, do not flight AEROMEXICO.

Original review: May 17, 2020

I purchased 4 round-trip tickets for my family to Mexico City, at a cost of over $1,600. The flights were cancelled due to covid. My experience dealing with this company was awful and I believe they are violating laws. I am filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and I STRONGLY suggest that others do the same.

First - the information in the cancellation email is confusing. It said my tickets were changed to "open tickets" and does not give details. Then it says I need to fill out a form. It gives a number for customer service, in case you have questions. Contacting customer service, the automated system hangs up on you for almost every option. I found one option that didn't hang up on me (for flights in the next 72 hours), I waited over an hour to talk to someone. I asked them about the "open ticket" that they were giving me (according to the email I received). They said I need to use it by February 9, 2021 (I purchased them on Feb. 11, 2020). But my flight was for June 10-19, 2020.

I don't want to take my kids out of school to see their family in Mexico. If I have to use an open ticket, it should at least be 12 months after the DATE OF SERVICE - not the date of purchase. If they decide to cancel a flight, they should be issuing refunds. Not trying to screw customers out of their tickets. I'm worried this company may not even last until February 2021. Get your BBB complaint in ASAP. This one needs some legal intervention as soon as possible.

Original review: May 14, 2020

I was supposed to fly to Chile on March 19 and they cancelled my flight on March 15 (then charged me for a first class flight upgrade). I was able to get my first class upgrade refunded through my credit card company, but dealing with Aeromexico on refunding my flight has been a total nightmare. I couldn't get through to them for two weeks and when I finally did, they refused to give me a refund and said my only option was to accept a travel voucher. So I did- and basically flushed my trip down the drain because now they've changed their flight schedule and Latin America is still on lockdown so time is running out to ever use it.

I saw on the US Dept of Transportation website that not refunding a cancelled flight is illegal and that airlines have to give you a refund. But Aeromexico is fighting this hard because on the tape phone conversation I accepted a travel voucher. To me, that is straight up theft. I seriously never saw this coming. Other travel agents and airport representatives have since told me to be very careful in who you give your money to. I wish they would just make it right, but Aeromexico is adamant about not giving my money back. Anyone else want to go into a class action lawsuit with me?

Original review: May 2, 2020

I have called and complaint four different times with calls averaging 2-3 hours where I have tried to get a full refund or at the very least change flight dates due to COVID-19 but at all times they would not give me refund and would charge me excess fees to swap dates. One support tech told me that he could get fired and that the company was pressuring them to charge fees even though it is a world pandemic and their superiors are wanting results charging fees and not giving refunds. This has been the worst customer service I have ever dealt with since they do not even try to work with the customer and instead charge excess fees.

Original review: April 12, 2020

Aeromexico canceled my flight 22 days before departure, when restrictions were not yet applied for the departure, in fact their mail read “Important information about your flight to Madrid, Spain Your flight AM 6926 to Madrid, Spain has been canceled.We’re sorry for the inconvenience caused.” And now he refuses to compensate, except through a voucher where a telephone service fee is applied when booking new departures.

On March 17, 2020 -- Moody's Investors Service, says “Moody’s has downgraded Grupo Aeroméxico S.A.B. de C.V. (Aeroméxico)'s corporate family rating to B2 from B1. Moody's has also downgraded to B3 from B2 the senior unsecured rating on its global notes due 2025, issued by its fully owned subsidiary Aerovías de México, S.A. de C.V. All ratings remain on review for downgrade.

The downgrade was prompted by our expectation of a severe decline in top line and cash generation during the coronavirus outbreak in the US and Mexico, resulting in further weakening in liquidity profile and a significantly higher leverage through 2021.” They want to make us pay off their debts, knowing that there will probably be no more next year, only the most serious and customer-conscious companies will get the better of it.

Original review: April 9, 2020

-Flight: Bogota, Colombia, layover in Mexico City, Mexico, final destination Oaxaca, Mexico. -Flight No.: AM-0718/AM-2098. -Flight Booked on September 12, 2019. -Ticket Type: Basic [Non-Refundable]. Summary: Given the current Covit-19 Pandemic and flight calculations worldwide, and the fact that Aeromexico canceled and changed our flights five (5) times and on the first time they did not provide a flight for the first flight [Bogota, Colombia, to Mexico City, Mexico] of our trip with them. And the fact that the last flight [Mexico City, Mexico, to Oaxaca, Mexico] was scheduled to land over 23 hours after our original booking time of arrival. We could not leave our home country so we had to cancel our trip and all flights. Every Airline carrier refunded our money except for AeroMexico who will not give us our money back.

Complaint: It is a fact that we purchased two [2] Basic fair tickets, that Aeromexico clearly states are non-refundable. But I find Aeromexico’s business practices morally questionable and their rules and regulations to be deliberately vague and lacking in transparency. As they are able to place all of un-natural and natural occurrences and squarely places the blames on shoulders of its customers. Take for example the current Covit-19 pandemic. People, families, and whole nations are being quarantined by their local governments. And there is a very large percentage of people who last month had a full-time job, had money to do what they wanted in life, and did not know that their job maybe on and will most likely be placed in unemployment until this pandemic can be better managed by the world. And at the same time people have to worry about meeting basic need and essentials [food, medical].

Then there are companies like Aeromexico who refuse to return their customers money when the service provider cannot provide a service. In the current humanitarian crisis that this pandemic is causing people all over the world, it must be nice for a service provider to take money for a service that their clients can’t possible use and then provide only two [2] forms of compensation; (1) new reservation at a later date, (2) or an open book-ticket. But given the epidemic and the growing percentage of deaths worldwide. It seems to me that people should get their money back so they can use it take care of themselves and their family. And yet it seems financially advantageous for a company to keep their clients’ money giving this worldwide Covid-19 epidemic and the fact that your clients have an ever-growing chance of dying from Covid-19 and get to keep that money for basically doing nothing.

I find this possibility sickening and I hope this is not a business practice of AeroMxico. As a customer myself who cannot travel because Covid-19 and whose money you are basically trying to steal because I need it back and for the fact you canceled our original flight. I hope that I can get my money back. As it stands I am just unhappy customer who will never forget this. If AeroMexico is going to not refund my money then there will be legal actions taken which will consist of formal complaint written complaints the AeroMexico Ceo. Andrés Conesa, Mexican and US government authorities and social platforms to air my grievances to.

CC:
    • P AeroMexico Ceo. Andrés Conesa.
    • Procuraduría Federal del Consumidor (PROFECOR).
    • Federal Trade Commission (FTC).
    • Better Business Bureau (BBB).

• Consumer Action

AeroMexico Contact Info:

1- Customer Service E-Contact Form @ https://vuela.aeromexico.com/covid-19/en/?_ga=2.124008906.1737362896.1584935495-797869082.156765484.
    2-Refund and Complaints Departments Phone Number: 01.1.5255.5133.4000 (Option 3 for Refund Department, Option 7 for Complain Department).

4-Complaints Departments Email: amcomplaint@aeromexico.com.

Legalities:
    1. Mexican Civil Aviation Act and the Federal Consumer Protection Law: **
    2. Procuraduría Federal del Consumidor (PROFECOR): **

3. PROFECO MEXLAW legal services: **

Original review: March 8, 2020

I traveled with my husband to Lima, Peru via Aeromexico on 2/9 and returned to the US on 2/15 via Aeromexico. Going to Lima via Aeromexico, everything went well. It was the plane ride home that was a nightmare! We waited in line for 1!!! hour to check our bags in - and mind you the line was not that long (maybe 15 families waiting) when you compare it to some of the lines at JFK. There were only 3 Aeromexico staff members checking in bags and one of the lines was the express check in. My husband got into a huge fight with the Aeromexico employee because he had the nerve to want to charge for the first 2 bags and a higher price for a 3rd bag when we didn't get charged for any bags leaving NYC to Lima. In the end they did not charge us after we asked for a manager who accommodated us.

I believe this is where they "purposely" damaged my luggage. My luggage arrived to Lima intact with no damage however was very damaged during my return trip home from Peru to the US. We were told we had to pick up our luggage from the baggage carousel to transfer it during the layover part of our trip from Lima Peru to Mexico City. Really Aeromexico, you couldn’t of had the decency to transfer everyone’s (your customers!) luggage during the layover? When I picked up my baggage off carousel is where my zipper handle which is metal was broken off and it literally looks like someone went and just broke it in half. The front of my luggage was covered in dirt marks all over and basically looks like it was literally dragged through mud and now there are multiple stains all over the bottom of my luggage which I can’t get out.

I purchased this suitcase for several hundred dollars not even 2 years ago and have only used it 3 times and it's quite disturbing the damage it suffered already. Then when we got to the gate for the transfer, the Aeromexico employee was so rude to us basically blaming us for not being on time when it was not our fault that we had to go through immigration, bag transfers and security in a 1:45 minute time period and were at the mercy of Mexico City’s airport. We hustled throughout the entire time from when we got off the plane to get through everything as fast as possible. The plane was STILL on the ground and this nasty lady would not allow us to get on the plane so we missed our flight & had to wait in the airport for several hours until the next one left. I made a complaint to Aeromexico about my bag and they basically said the damage wasn’t “enough” to warrant any refund/repair. Please please people, never fly Aeromexico if you can avoid it!

Aeromexico Company Information