Aeromexico
3.44/5

Looking for a travel site?

Aeromexico Reviews

Looking for a travel site?

Aeromexico Reviews

Original review: Nov. 5, 2019

I understand now that the rule is if I missed a flight due to being sick, then all the preceding flights are cancelled. Why is this is a rule? Is it reasonable to charge me $922 to board a flight I have already paid for in full? MORE THAN THE ORIGINAL FLIGHT! First and foremost this is outrageous! Secondly this policy should be on the itinerary and much clearer when buying the ticket despite if it is through an agent.

I will now tell you about my experience at the check in desk in San Jose. When I arrived I was served by a young man called Aubrey I believe. He checked me in, printed my boarding pass and tagged my luggage. He then put my boarding pass on the counter and told me to wait one minute and left to talk to a lady called Karla ** with no explanation.

He returned and asked me if I had changed my flight. I explained that I had got food poisoning in Mexico so I missed my flight and booked a flight a day later. He then left to talk to Karla ** again. They both then returned to the desk and told me I lost all my flights and that I need to call the call centre or pay $350 penalty. I explained to them both my phone got stolen in san jose the previous night and visibly upset and reluctantly I will pay the $350 penalty.

They both then walked off and didn't return for 15 minutes. The young man came back to the desk on the phone and just told me he is calling mexico. I then stood at the desk with no update just watching this member of Aeromexico staff play and send messages on his phone and whispering in Spanish and making jokes and laughing with his colleague on the next desk, whilst I was obviously worried and upset at the desk. I have never experienced such unprofessional, insensitive service not only at an airport but in any customer service setting.

I then asked him what was happening and he just replied that he doesn't know. They are checking. The next communication was 10 minutes later and he asked if I was paying dollars or colones. I confirmed the amount was $350, the price he had earlier quoted me whilst himself and Ms ** were at the desk. He replied he doesn't know and again left the desk with no other explanation.

When he returned he told me the flight was full and I need to upgrade my class and so it will cost me $922. I then asked to speak to a supervisor for an explanation as to why my seat had been issued when I arrived and why I was quoted a different price one hour earlier and what exactly am I paying that much for. Her response was she doesn't need to explain, I need to read the rules and either pay or stay in san jose. The young man was more helpful and checked flights direct back to Canada as I considered cancelling my trip because of the expense but the price was similar and I am meeting some family here in Colombia so I was forced to pay the $922, which I am still unsure as what I paid for.

I then asked for a printed itinerary for my whole flight and she told me, "Check your email" and walked off despite me explaining earlier that my phone was stolen in san jose therefore I have no access to my email at the airport. I find it unbelievable that a customer who paid £550 for the flight and then just charged $922 for the same flight it is such an effort to print my details on a piece of paper. The young man was helpful and he printed that for me. Another passenger asked me if I was ok and gave me a tissue whilst this supervisor treated me like just another annoying passenger. Disgusting woman. The young man gave my ticket and apologized sincerely for my situation.

Once I got on the plane, flight AM691 there is no class other than economy and I counted 7 empty seats just close to where my seat was allocated 14A on the flight from san jose to Mexico City and an almost empty flight from mexico city to Bogota. Also on the flight from san jose to mexico city a lady was sat in my allocated seat so I was told I need to sit somewhere else. This isn't a big problem but considering the whole experience I think this is just one big joke.

So once again I was lied to and told it cost me so much because I had to upgrade the class. Nobody has any idea and telling me all different things. This whole experience has left me feeling taken advantage of and like this airlines only priority is to take customers money even if it will ruin their whole trip. I have flown with aeromexico a few times and never had any problems but after this experience I will never again. I have since emailed that I would appreciate an explanation as to what I actually paid for as none of the ground staff seem to have any idea. When I asked who I can make a inquiry and a complaint to they just told me try in mexico. Since I've recieved a reply via email...

"You have generated a flight reservation with Aeromexico, which is a contract where the airline commits to transport it to you at the times and dates established in the order you chose. Therefore, you must take the flights in the order in which you made the purchase; If you did not use a flight segment, the contract is canceled because you have not complied with it and you will not be able to use the following segments until you pay a change fee in the reservation area (if your reservation allows changes)."

This I understand. However why was I told one price at the desk which then changed and also told I had to pay an upgrade to premium economy which didn't exist because the flights were full even though they were not at all. When I replied again for a break down of exactly what the breakdown is for $922 and why I was charged premium economy I was simply told the charge covers the phone call an international call from san jose to mexico that I didn't even ask them to make or informed that they will be charging me for this, and cancellation fees of flights that I didn't cancel (MORE THAN ALL MY FLIGHT COMBINED) A following statement that my case has been closed. This airline is the worst I've ever flown with. Stay away at all costs!!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2019

I got hives on the plane. Seen a doctor on the plane and was given meds. I was ill and an hour late for my flight out of Mexico City. I don't know Spanish, and was told to wait in line, after 2 hours they directed me to another line. They offered me a flight to Tijuana which was my destination. The $1,800 price tag almost made me gag. Then they told me that all of my flights I had paid for to return to Vancouver BC were cancelled! They even had the nerve to tell me my seat would be empty!

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2019

I have tried to make contact with this business multiple times over the last month. This airline does not offer phone support other than for very basic assistance like sales. Everything else must be through email to amcomplaint@aeromexico.com. However, my issue is they don't respond to their email. I asked for a tax to be refunded that I was never supposed to be charged as I was exempt from this tax, as well as a refund for a phone booking fee that I was not notified about until after the charge was completed. They responded to me that ¨everyone is notified about the phone charge, and that the tax would not be refunded.¨

I replied on August 28th (Case number: **) clarifying which tax I was referring to, I also asked them to review the call recording as they would hear that I inquired about the phone fee to be refunded while I was on the phone with the representative. The sales agent did not mention the fee. I inquired with him about the fee after seeing it on the receipt in my email. He told me the only way to receive a refund was to email the complaints department. This was during the sale, not in another interaction. Furthermore, I would have never made a phone reservation but their online booking system was having an issue and the error message told me I needed to call to complete the reservation. For this reason alone they should have refunded me that fee. However, I received no response to this email.

I emailed again September 17th (case number: **), to let them know that I was injured in an accident and would not be able to make the flight. I emailed them a medical certificate, and photos of my injuries, and I requested that they provide either a refund or a credit to be used on a future flight. They couldn't even be bothered to reply with a ¨no.¨ Just no response at all.

I later realized that my Visa Infinite card that I made the payment on came with trip insurance, so I filed a claim with my insurance company. My insurance company requested a letter from the airline stating that the trip was canceled. The airline did send this. However, after I submitted the letter to my insurance, my insurance company requested that the letter also include additional details. I requested a revision to the letter on September 23rd (case number: **). However, once again, I received no response. Despite being routinely ignored by this business the only thing I am asking for is a document confirming 1. the cancellation of the flight, 2. the amounts reimbursed and the fines charged OR indicating that there will be no refund. Also, an apology for simply ignoring almost every communication with them would also be nice.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

This company treats its customers atrociously. I had a small layover planned in Mexico City, and chose to buy another ticket to arrive several days beforehand in order to extend my stay there (learning that I could stay to visit a friend who would be in and out of the hospital). I arrive to the airport to leave Mexico City, and I'm informed that by not having taken my initial flight in the layover process, I've therefore forfeited my ticket and must buy another, which totalled more than my original return ticket! In addition, the lady claimed that neither my credit card nor my debit card worked on her machine, so I had to use an airport ATM in order to pay in cash. I never received an email confirmation or any proof for this other ticket that I was forced to purchase, and I feel strongly as though I've been scammed.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

I am very disappointed with Areomexico and this review is based on my last experience with this airline. I had a reservation for my mom. Unfortunately she had a medical emergency and needed a gallbladder surgery. When I contacted Aeromexico about this to re-schedule the trip, they told me that I had to pay U$200 dollars to change the date and U$150 because not shown, also that I have to pay the difference in price if there was any because the new dates. We did not have insurance and that is how the company works. The only way they will give the money back is if she would’ve passed away. Surgeries and other emergencies are not applicable and you have to pay. I must mention we did not want any money back, just travel date updates. The communication was all over email. There is no way you can talk to anyone from customer service, just people from sales department.

Long story short I accepted to pay the U$350 and started looking into new dates and prices on their website. After my research I found out that the new price was U$771.48. This price is from Aeromexico website, so I decided to give call and book/re-schedule the trip with the new dates. At the time of my call the agent confirmed the price I got from their website but after telling them that I was just going to re-schedule and gave him my old reservation number they told me that the prices on their website which is the same price he gave me did not apply to me anymore. The customer service representative said that new tickets prices are different than change of date rates, and I had to pay U$879 for the change of date, U$350 fine and U$529 because the difference in prices. Keep in mind on their website a new ticket is U$720 and I originally paid U$1024.

Also, I am buying the same destination, same economy seats, same hours, just a different dates and paying the fines and difference in price if there is any, the same agent confirmed that in my case was better to buy a new ticket with the new days than re-scheduling the fly. Can you guys believe this? What kind of customer service is this? I won’t recommend this airline anymore; it is ridiculous the way they treat their clients. At the end was cheaper to buy a new ticket than changing the dates.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aeromexico?

Original review: Aug. 20, 2019

Booked my flight for 2 people to Cancun through their website. By default their travel insurance is on your tab so one has to actively de-select it and save changes to make sure you are not charged for that. Once that has been performed, I use Paypal to complete the transaction and the amount on the Paypal account looks correct. Once you submit the payment, the insurance was then slapped back on to your transaction and one pays for the insurance anyways. Customer service denies any glitch with their system and no refund can be issued. My bank then corrects the amount and then Aeromexico cancels only one of my flights refunding me only partial the amount for that one person flight. Customer service uselessly apologizes and does nothing. I can't believe this sort of company is in anyway associated with SkyTeam. The budget airlines in Mexico are better than these idiots.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

I arrived at the plane's door on a wheel chair on Wednesday August 14th, 2019. When they greeted me I asked if someone could help me to place my carry-on bag on the overhead compartment. I was responded by Miguel that "all passengers are responsible of their luggage". This incident happened 2 days ago on Flight 011 from Santiago de Chile bound to Mexico City. The flight Manager Nidia ** was right there in front on Miguel and she did NOTHING to fix the situation.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2019

July 24 flying out from SFO to Sal Plane arrive an hour and 15 minutes late that day..everything was normal but going back home was a total nightmare. Everything started soon as I arrived to Mexico City of her o'clock. My plan is supposedly by 750pm. My flight was 2hrs late and got in the plane. They say we need to load fuel. Fine.10:35 we begin moving to get ready to fly. By 11:30 they cancel the flight on basis the SFO was closed. I live in San Francisco and use SFO many time before coming home 2-3am in the morning. Fine. Everyone on the plane was angry going about why they cancel our fly. They took out in the rain with no info what next.

We move to check in Area where at 2am I they say I need to go hotel and fly out next day 2:35pm. Fine. They check in my carry-on and ask if they are my my. Luggage will be in my destination. I left to hotel 3:40. I got to my room Aug 8. Left the hotel at 11am. They won't let in because the new ticket they give.my date Aug 7. Took me until 1:10pm going around talk with employees and supervisor so I get in. Everyone on the flight have the same problem. More 200 people tired and upset. Fine waiting at 62 gate in Mexico 2:40. We ask why aren't being boarded into the plane they say no pilots are available for the flight. 40min later we left Mexico. Got to SFO I found out one of my luggage is missing. I don't really care because I'm tired. I wanted to go home. This airline have so much problem. I won't be flying with them ever again. I know a lot of the customer on my flight won't use them again.

Original review: July 31, 2019

I applied for the Aeromexico credit card to avoid paying for luggage. When I received my card it came with a complimentary companion certificate. I had to call Aeromexico at least 7 times in order to find out how to award the ticket and book my flight. After 6 attempts I was informed to send an email to the call center which I did. I did not get a reply.

Finally I was able to speak to a customer service representative who extremely rude gave me a rate of 1,900.00 plus 150.00 for a ticket. In state of shock I asked if that was a first class ticket and she told me very rude "No" - it's just a regular business fare. A regular plane ticket online cost 570.00 and a first class ticket cost 1,200.00 to Mexico City. If Aeromexico is promoting a complimentary companion certificate they should give you a regular rate not an excessive rate that covers over 4 regular plane tickets. I booked my flight with Skyscanner and as soon as I can I will cancel this credit card that uses fraudulent advertisement to get customers.

Original review: July 30, 2019

Staff stole cameras, gimbal and SD cards from checked luggage. Well, carry on luggage I was made to stow. After an incredibly painful phone call, two useless email responses, it is clear that they don’t value customers. It is also extremely apparent to me that they are well aware that they hire thieves and do nothing to stop them. Do yourself a favor. Pay a few extra dollars to fly elsewhere... you’ll end up saving money in the long run by not having to re-purchase your belongings.

Aeromexico Company Information