1.1/5 (86 ratings)

Insure your next trip with Generali Global Services

Choose from 3 different plans today!

Get a Quote
Find a Travel Insurance partner

About Allianz Global Assistance

Allianz Global Assistance is one of the largest travel insurance companies and offers proven trip protection for vacations across the world. Allianz travel insurance helps cover the cost of delays, medical expenses and even cancellations. Plus, coverage also includes free access to assistance services like interpreters.

Pros

• Affordable price
  • Straightforward coverage
  • Multiple coverage levels
  • Worldwide assistance

Cons

• Can only cancel for specific reasons
  • Coverage not always flexible

Bottom Line

Allianz is an affordable travel insurance company with worldwide coverage. While Allianz doesn’t offer customizable or flexible coverage, its various coverage levels ensure most everyone will find a package for them.

Top Allianz Global Assistance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I truly appreciate you taking the time to talk to me and your heartfelt concerns dealing with my situation. This is what it supposed to feel like on the other line. Real human, re...

Verified

I submitted a request to received a refund for plane tickets to San Diego California in July 20. I'm in the military and I was unable to travel. It was a smooth process. I would l...

How does Allianz travel insurance work?

Allianz trip insurance policies come in three tiers: Basic, Prime and Premier. Basic includes trip cancellation and interruption benefits as well as some medical and baggage coverage. Prime offers somewhat expanded Basic benefits and free coverage of children under 17. Premier protection comes with all the Prime benefits as well as expanded post-departure benefits, including bag delay, change fees, concierge services and more. It also includes more reasons for cancellation.

Allianz can help you personalize coverage to mitigate risks that might occur based on the type of trip you’re taking. For example, you can choose to add rental car protection or medical insurance for an additional price. Customers who travel a lot can buy multi-trip or annual policies.

Using the Allianz app

With the free Allianz TravelSmart app, you get instant access to their coverage benefits anywhere in the world, which lets you file claims easily and stay a step ahead during travel. In an emergency, the app can help you locate a screened and approved medical facility immediately.

Allianz travel insurance cost

Allianz travel insurance plans start at just $23 per trip. The cost of travel insurance varies based on the travel destination, length of a vacation, what type of coverage is needed, the cost of the vacation, the age of the traveler and a few other factors.

For reference, we requested a quote for a five-day trip to Mexico and received a quote for $139 for Premier coverage, $84 for Prime and $62 for Basic. Because the company is so large, it can offer low prices while also guaranteeing payouts.

Keep in mind that cancellation insurance only covers unexpected events, not foreseeable ones. Talk to a company representative if you have any questions about what is covered by your policy.

Allianz Global Assistance FAQ

What is a covered reason for trip cancellation with Allianz?
Covered reasons include unexpected natural disasters, divorce, severe injury, death and other events.
Does Allianz travel insurance cover flight changes?
Yes, for covered reasons. Each policy will outline what reasons are covered.
Who owns Allianz?
Allianz Global Assistance is owned by Allianz SE in Munich, Germany.
How many countries does Allianz operate in?
Allianz travel insurance operates in more than 70 countries across the world.
How do I submit a claim to Allianz?
Travelers can either file a claim on the company’s website or with the Allianz TravelSmart app.

Is Allianz Global Assistance worth it?

Allianz Global Assistance is one of the largest travel insurance companies and offers the financial protection needed to travel confidently. The company provides a variety of options and tiers of coverage, so most travelers can find the right kind of travel insurance for their needs and budget. While some competitors do offer more flexibility and customization in their travel insurance, like adventure coverage or cancellations for any reason, Allianz’s low prices make the company a good choice for most travelers.

Allianz Global Assistance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allianz Global Assistance?

Original review: May 17, 2022

I recently got exposed to Covid and have to take a test which is too close to the concert date. I thought the whole point of insurance is for reasons like this. I am a blogger in my city and I will definitely warn my audience against scammers like this.

Original review: May 16, 2022

I purchased tickets for a summer music festival back in January. Unfortunately, I started a new job in April and wouldn't be able to take the time off to go. I submitted my receipt, proof that the tickets hadn't been used, and a screenshot of the email from my employer stating that I couldn't have the time off. I submitted the claim on March 30, it was reviewed and accepted on May 2, and by May 13 I had received my cheque in the mail. My only problem was the long wait time to know whether it was accepted or not, but they were clear about that from the first time I contacted them. Customer service was pretty nice when I called, too.

Get buying tips about Travel Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 16, 2022

We submitted a claim mid March 2022. We submitted letters from two specialty doctors explaining my wife's development of a rare kidney disease. The treatment included chemo and other strong meds. She is not allowed to be exposed to people as her immune system is compromised. After writing and making at least four phone calls this is our result. We were told the claim is processing. Then we were promised a claims adjuster would call us the next day. No call ever came. I asked our travel agent for help. She called back and said we were missing some information from our original claim. It is now mid May 2022 and now we find out.

Original review: May 15, 2022

I had to change my travel dates and tried to call Allianz to change dates on my insurance policy purchased through WestJet's website. Four phone calls and HOURS on hold later, I finally got a recorded message saying that they were having 'system problems' and I should call back. This is the same phone number policy holders are to contact if they require assistance while traveling. Very thankful I didn't need them, as it is next to impossible to reach them. Eventually I sent a registered letter to their head office. Extremely poor customer service.

Original review: May 13, 2022

Purchased a year in advance of travel. Allianz is the biggest Ponzi scheme in the entire country. They did not honor our claim. We received our tickets and were waiting to board the plane. Ten (10) minutes before boarding was announced the flight was canceled. We had previously paid for a rental car and made reservations through AirBNB. If anyone has used AirBNB, you are aware you get no refund if you cancel without giving 24 hours notice. Our destination required a negative COVID test within 48 hours. Obviously we would have had to submit to a second COVID test for $500.00 for two passengers and be able to stay in a hotel for an additional 2-3 days so we could take another flight offered 2 days away. Allianz required that we supply the reason for the flight cancellation. We did so along with all receipts for travel that was cancelled.

After 4 months, our claim was denied. If this doesn't constitute a valid claim, I don't know what would. Repeat...Never purchase Allianz Travel Insurance, it's a total scam. Our total losses were over $4,000. 00 after the Airlines reimbursed us for the flight. Allianz claimed our flight being cancelled was not a qualifying event. The Airlines send a letter stating they did not have sufficient crew, 10 mins before take off.

Original review: May 12, 2022

My wife and I had our 2nd child a month ago. We are planning to go to a Ben Rector concert later this month. Due to breastfeeding we are taking our youngest, but for fear of weather or other circumstances we decided to purchase the insurance for the tickets. When we received confirmation of the tickets the link to their policy did not work and therefore I could not review what I purchased.

I called customer service and they dropped my class multiple times. Finally several weeks after the purchase, I was able to talk to someone who said we would only receive a refund in the case the government issued a travel emergency due to weather and since I was past the 15 days to cancel I could not cancel my insurance. I tried to convey that we were unable to read the policy since their page was not working they said there were multiple avenues to find the policy and thus I was at fault for that. I am extremely unimpressed with their customer service and their so called insurance for the tickets feels extremely thin. I would not use them in the future.

Original review: May 6, 2022

We purchased Allianz travel protection insurance - through our airline website at booking - for an expensive trip to South America over the holiday 2021-22. The second week of a two week trip was interrupted and we had to fly most of us home because one of my family members tested positive for COVID. We had made sure we had the COVID rider. Allianz took 4 months (!) to respond, and it came back essentially a flat denial (they acknowledged we qualified but denied all but $250 - out of thousands of dollars lost), no explanation, no number to call to get an explanation. DON'T EVER BUY TRAVEL INSURANCE FROM ALLIANZ - IT IS SIMPLY A PROFIT SCAM. They will fight the unethical battle of deny and avoid and be the obscure unresponsive monolith, in hopes to wear you down to avoid paying legitimate claims. Shameful actually.

Original review: April 29, 2022

The absolute worst! I purchased tickets pre Covid in 2019… Event was postponed forever … Recently requested a refund due to wanting to care for an elderly family member at night for safety concerns. They said I needed a doctor's note but it didn’t make sense because this family member was “fine” according to their doctor. I also called at least 3 different times and each rep gave me different instructions on what to do. Now today is the day of the event and still no refund. Also found out that this company fabricated information on my claim that I NEVER PROVIDED! Very frustrating! I want my money and I want better service.

Original review: April 28, 2022

We had just sold our home in AL and was in route to New Jersey. The U-Haul truck was deemed unsafe to drive and we could not leave on the day planned. U-haul paid for hotel and costs we incurred because of the delay. Allianz is refusing, saying it wasn't our personal vehicle that broke down. We have receipts and documentation. The company is fraudulent! They get your money and find any reason not to reimburse. I never received a contract from them, specifying the reasons for a possible denial. I could only go by what I saw on Ticketmaster. I was never sent a policy with a number or details. They had to look it up, when I called. I am disappointed with Ticketmaster for recommending buyers purchase the insurance.

Original review: April 28, 2022

Do not purchase any type of insurance associated with Allianz Global Assistance! I purchased concert tickets for an event that I could not attend due to an ongoing foot issue thru Ticketmaster. Got the insurance just in case of any uncertain event. Sent all the proper documentation as requested. Doctor's note with explanation, payment information, etc…No response for over a month. Reached out to them myself, was told I was missing one document which I did originally sent. Resubmitted the info.

The information as requested wasn’t good enough. They wanted additional medical history, medication, and a bunch of private information they needed that was completely out of their jurisdiction as a company. Their staff is rude, highly unprofessional, will give you the run around. They will try to their hardest not to compensate you. Needless to say, I had to reach out to my credit card company to get all the funds returned! Don’t waste your time with this company!

Allianz Global Assistance Company Information