2. Travel
  3. Travel Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.91/5

Allianz Global Assistance is one of the largest travel insurance companies and offers proven trip protection for vacations across the world. Allianz travel insurance helps cover the cost of delays, medical expenses and even cancellations. Plus, coverage also includes free access to assistance services like interpreters.

Top Allianz Global Assistance Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allianz Global Assistance?

I truly appreciate you taking the time to talk to me and your heartfelt concerns dealing with my situation. This is what it supposed to feel like on the other line. Real human, real care and real support. I have always used Allianz… I feel completely safe and comfortable with my choices and I know o

I submitted a request to received a refund for plane tickets to San Diego California in July 20. I'm in the military and I was unable to travel. It was a smooth process. I would like the thank everyone involved. Thank you so much. I really appreciate it!

BOTTOM LINE

Allianz is an affordable travel insurance company with worldwide coverage. While Allianz doesn’t offer customizable or flexible coverage, its various coverage levels ensure most everyone will find a package for them.

PROS
  • Affordable price
  • Straightforward coverage
  • Multiple coverage levels
  • Worldwide assistance
CONS
  • Can only cancel for specific reasons
  • Coverage not always flexible

How does Allianz travel insurance work?

Allianz trip insurance policies come in three tiers: Basic, Prime and Premier. Basic includes trip cancellation and interruption benefits as well as some medical and baggage coverage. Prime offers somewhat expanded Basic benefits and free coverage of children under 17. Premier protection comes with all the Prime benefits as well as expanded post-departure benefits, including bag delay, change fees, concierge services and more. It also includes more reasons for cancellation.

Allianz can help you personalize coverage to mitigate risks that might occur based on the type of trip you’re taking. For example, you can choose to add rental car protection or medical insurance for an additional price. Customers who travel a lot can buy multi-trip or annual policies.

Using the Allianz app

With the free Allianz TravelSmart app, you get instant access to their coverage benefits anywhere in the world, which lets you file claims easily and stay a step ahead during travel. In an emergency, the app can help you locate a screened and approved medical facility immediately.

Allianz travel insurance cost

Allianz travel insurance plans start at just $23 per trip. The cost of travel insurance varies based on the travel destination, length of a vacation, what type of coverage is needed, the cost of the vacation, the age of the traveler and a few other factors.

For reference, we requested a quote for a five-day trip to Mexico and received a quote for $139 for Premier coverage, $84 for Prime and $62 for Basic. Because the company is so large, it can offer low prices while also guaranteeing payouts.

Keep in mind that cancellation insurance only covers unexpected events, not foreseeable ones. Talk to a company representative if you have any questions about what is covered by your policy.

Allianz Global Assistance FAQ

What is a covered reason for trip cancellation with Allianz?
Covered reasons include unexpected natural disasters, divorce, severe injury, death and other events.
Does Allianz travel insurance cover flight changes?
Yes, for covered reasons. Each policy will outline what reasons are covered.
Who owns Allianz?
Allianz Global Assistance is owned by Allianz SE in Munich, Germany.
How many countries does Allianz operate in?
Allianz travel insurance operates in more than 70 countries across the world.
How do I submit a claim to Allianz?
Travelers can either file a claim on the company’s website or with the Allianz TravelSmart app.

Is Allianz Global Assistance worth it?

Allianz Global Assistance is one of the largest travel insurance companies and offers the financial protection needed to travel confidently. The company provides a variety of options and tiers of coverage, so most travelers can find the right kind of travel insurance for their needs and budget. While some competitors do offer more flexibility and customization in their travel insurance, like adventure coverage or cancellations for any reason, Allianz’s low prices make the company a good choice for most travelers.

Allianz Global Assistance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allianz Global Assistance?

Original review: Dec. 15, 2020

I purchased Trip Cancelation and Interruption Plan for the trip to Europe via Polish Airline and Rent-a-car in January with flight for July 18 2020 but I cancelled due to Covid-19 about 2 weeks prior departure. Polish Airline and Rent-a-car fully return the amount but ABC Express Inc. from Mississauga added Cancelation, administration, penalty fees and tax! I summited the application for added Cancelation, administration, penalty fees and tax! I was reimbursed today after about 6 months waiting for (understanding Covid-19 workload situation) and working from home also missing some of my information. It took me quite a few phone calls and taking one mail with the missing directly in to the receiving and delivery office. The final result was positive as they mail me home the exact amount I applied for! I was skeptical about Allianz but I was wrong!

Original review: June 17, 2020

Allianz was extremely helpful. I called and spoke to an agent who told me exactly what would be required when filing a claim because my travel companion was ill, so that there would be no need for any further discussion/delays after my claim was filed. I submitted all of my required documentation and clearly explained the reasons why we were unable to travel. Even in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic, where it was clear that Allianz was receiving a much larger claim volume than usual, I received timely feedback on my claim and was refunded in full. I would recommend Allianz to anyone, and every time I travel I will use Allianz for insurance because of how reliable and timely your response was, and how easy it was to file a claim.

Get buying tips about Travel Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 16, 2020

I will not travel without Allianz travel insurance. The reimbursement/insurance policy is straightforward and easy to comprehend. I do not feel that I am somehow still exposed after reading the contract. The reimbursement administration is easily completed online. The reimbursement itself is incredibly speedy. Incredibly. I have used one other travel insurer in recent years. While I did received reimbursement, it was much more time consuming and laborious and the reimbursement was very slow processing. With Allianz, I have made both small and large claims. No difference in results, process or timeliness. I have and continue to recommend Allianz.

Original review: June 15, 2020

My siblings and I planned an expensive trip to Cuba, so our mother could return to her homeland for the first (and last) time since she and our father were married there in 1959. We were going with a group of 12 of us, as our older children wanted to experience Cuba first-hand, as well. Luckily, we purchased insurance for each of us, as we had no idea what would happen between the time we booked the trip, and the actual trip date! We had no idea that a pandemic was imminent, flights would be cancelled, and countries would start banning tourists.

Our trip host refused to give us back our (large) deposit--hoping we would just postpone our trip. However, with our mother being 86, some of us becoming unemployed, and the grandkids headed in a million different directions, we had no idea when we would be able to reconvene for a trip like this. We agreed we should file an insurance claim, to get back our deposit money. Luckily, the process was smooth and painless, and Allianz refunded our entire deposit to us.

Original review: June 13, 2020

My husband and I had to cancel a trip from Boston to Arizona booked on American Airlines, April 2, 2020 to April 5, 2020. Weeks before the trip, our physician advised us not to fly, especially my husband who is diabetic and has serious asthma. He gave us letters to that effect. We had purchased flight insurance from Allianz so first we tried calling- that was hours and we were told we would receive a call-back but we never did. Then I tried to file a claim online but the claim would not transmit due to "unexpected technical error". We tried to fax a claim but the fax number kept coming back "busy/no response". Finally, I wrote a letter (I wrote 2 in the end) and made copies of our doctor's letters, our flight information, our Allianz contract- everything- and mailed it to Richmond, Va. We did receive an e-mail acknowledging receipt of our letter and finally, another e-mail saying that we would receive a refund check.

We are very grateful to Allianz for the refund and recognize that during Covid, there must have been many claims and calls, but it was a very long process to receive a refund and had I not been so persistent, no refund would ever have been sent. We have always, and will always purchase trip and flight insurance. We never used it before and hope we won't need to in the future, but the process needs to be a bit easier. Thanks you, though, for our refund. We hope you all stay well.

Original review: April 22, 2021

In April 2020, my husband and I scheduled a trip to Ireland. As we know, a pandemic was in full swing but we never thought in would continue through April 2021! As no communication whatsoever from our Travel Agent from Liberty Travel (by the way we had 3 in 9 months), no one informed us that Ireland was Locked Down. There was no in or out of the country. Aer Lingus our airlines refunded our money immediately due to canceling all their flights to Ireland. No future schedule either. So, we looked at our policy with Allianz. We had no control of the cancellation of our flight or trip...I only found out (being former military) contacting the US Embassy that Ireland was shut down to all international travel until June 30, 2021.. Our flight was to leave May 23, 2021.

The first call to Allianz I was told by their customer service to cancel the policy in order to get back $216.00 (which they were suppose to give to customers during the pandemic). Second call, I found out that we didn't have a pandemic cause attached... Well when we purchased the insurance, it didn't exist. Third call, the representative told me, file a claim. So we did! Then I was told it was unfounded so we can't get any monies back because we filed a claim (which we were never told) and due to a pandemic which we have NO CONTROL OVER!! How is that for great customer service? Never again will I get a travel agent nor insurance. It's totally a waste.

Original review: March 15, 2021

Had this insurance several years and renew it every year. Covers 10000000. Simple claim of 19000US. Keep giving excuses such as need this paperwork then come back want something different. It's almost a year. Do not get this insurance. My husband got sick in the US. Never leaves home sick. Developed kidney stone in Pa. Not pre existing but I am going to keep hounding them. No reason not to pay it and they won't give a reason because they don't have one. I guess they like keeping their clients in the dark and making it stressful. DO NOT BUY.

Original review: March 4, 2021

Before buying this trip insurance, be ready to spend one hour or more reading their Policy. As you will see, almost all normal life issues are part of the "excluded" section. Very little is covered. I do not recommend their product.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2021

We purchased flight tickets to Hawaii in spring 2020 for Jan 28, 2021. Soon after COVID19 became a pandemic and by January 21, the pandemic was not over. In fact, supposed additional variants were being reported. Since my husband has a pre-existing cardiovascular condition, cabgx4 and stents, we chose to cancel instead of risking his health. Allianz refused to honor our insurance policy. They will not cover anything regarding the a pandemic. I won't make the mistake of using Allianz again.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2021

We purchased this insurance through Alaska Airlines. Read all the information provided prior to purchase. My husband lost his job and we were unable to go on vacation. They told me prior to filing a claim I had to cancel the flight and show proof of calculation. I did so. I sent the employment letter, and the copy of cancellation to them (all necessary paperwork). I just received a letter back stating that we did not meet the criteria for reimbursement. It clear states job loss. When you call and wait on hold for over an hour, then get a non-English speaking CS rep. who says to file an appeal. Yeah right, like that's going to make things better. Now I am out the cost of the flight, the cost of the fictitious insurance and am not going on vacation. THEY SHOULD BE RAN OUT OF TOWN!!!!

Allianz Global Assistance Company Information