Consumer Reviews and Complaints

I filed a claim with Allianz after I needed to change my departure flight to a later date due to military reasons. I was charged $200.00 to change my flight but I claimed that fee with Allianz and received every penny back. It was such a simple and user friendly process and made the stress of changing my flight so much easier. Thank you so much for your wonderful customer service.

I called seeking assistance regarding damage claim payment due. The persons that provided the assistance deserve much more than the standard five stars. All were incredibly professional and well-mannered as well as patient. They are very well-informed and did not hesitate when responding to my inquiries. The party seeking redress was incredibly rude and ill-mannered, as well as threatening. Absolutely no idea how to recover damages! So when I encountered your staff and its attitude, I was greatly relieved. And grateful!

I want to personally thank them, and it is my hope I have all their names correct: David. Anna. Adam. Shaquiel. Forgive me if any are misspelled. Please share this with them if at all possible. We most certainly will use you if the opportunity comes up in the future and will recommend your fine agency to those we know. Again, Thank you for making what could have been a horrible experience into a much smoother and pleasant one.

Service and automated system was excellent and very easy to use. I will purchase trip insurance through Allianz every time I travel in the future. The refund process was seamless. I just went into the online system, put in my info and reason for cancellation. Not even 2 days went by when I was told everything was processed.

Hello Mr. Norouzi,

I am sorry for your frustrations. I have reached out to our customer service team and they are going to reach out to you and give you a call within the next 1-2 business days regarding your policy and claim. Thank you for your patience.

Help Team

Original review: March 26, 2017

I have a contract with Allianz that clearly states that it covers all rental car physical damage. After filing a claim about damage to the rental car, Allianz stated that they do not provide coverage for cleaning or replacement of parts due to stains and/or smells. I reviewed my contract carefully and I noticed that it does not apply to my coverage/contract and my situation, and it is not part of my contract exclusions, listed under “Part III. EXCLUSIONS” of my contract. In “Part II. Description of Insurance Coverage”, of my contract, it clearly states: The Policy provides coverage for the following situations:

1. The Rental Car is damaged while you are driving or while the Rental Car is left unattended during the Scheduled Rental Period;
2. The Rental Car is stolen during the Scheduled Rental Period;

3. The Rental Car is damaged as a result of a cause other than collision (for example fire, storm, vandalism or theft) during the Scheduled Rental Period.

It was a damage that occurred to the rental car while I was driving it or while it was left unattended during the Scheduled. I contacted Allianz customer service multiple times regarding this issue, but they have never got back to me. Allianz is very irresponsible and provides very poor customer service, and they do whatever they can to not cover you when you need them. Allianz have to obviously abide by the contract that I have with them but they do not.

Hello Mr. Watson,

We understand your frustration and apologize for the inconvenience. We are sorry that the policy you purchased did not provide the coverage for your particular circumstance. While we have designed our products to cover the most common unforeseen situations our customers might encounter, not all events and situations are ones which trigger coverage in our insurance programs.

We understand that you have already reached out to Customer Service regarding your policy. If you would like to go forth with the claim process as inquired, please contact the customer service team at 1-800-284-8300 and a team member will be more than happy to start the process for you or answer any further questions you may have.

Original review: March 24, 2017

My daughter missed her flight due to a blizzard and the highways being closed by Dept. of Transportation. Called Allianz, they told me that since Delta did not cancel the flight, we were out of luck. What the heck, if the airline cancels, you get your money back anyway. How is this insurance, it's just a scam for something that would have happened without the insurance anyway. Please do not purchase this scam insurance.

Dear Katie Pierce,

We understand your frustration. We apologize that the policy you purchased did not provide coverage for your particular circumstance. While our products provide comprehensive coverage, they don't cover every situation.

If you would like someone to walk you through your claim or policy, please contact our Customer Service team at 1-800-284-8300 and someone will be more than happy to assist you.

Original review: March 24, 2017

Our first flight of a 2 leg international flight was delayed causing us to miss the only connection for 24 hours. We arrived a whole day late to our destination and had to pay for the previous day's room. Yet, when we filed what we thought was a simple claim, Allianz denied it saying we weren't interrupted. We are disappointed that they aren't backing their "trip interruption" pitch. It feels like a bait & switch or misrepresentation at the minimum. When I called I was sent to 2 people who, while nice, just re-read the denial statement and said I can file an appeal. It sounds like others who reviewed were able to get their claims paid right away. Why do we have to jump through hoops to prove this? Just because they are partnered with your airline doesn't mean they are reliable.

I've used Allianz for years and it is great for peace of mind. The rates are reasonable, and customer service was easy available if I had any questions. The claims process was so seamless, and I received an answer very quickly. I will use them again in the future for sure.

Very easy to file a claim. While still away from home on vacation, I was able to file a claim totally online. Although, I did have a question and needed to speak with an agent. The wait time on the phone was minimal and the agent was pleasant to speak with. My check was mailed out within a week of filing a claim and was waiting for me when I returned from my trip.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allianz Global Assistance?

Allianz was wonderful to deal with regarding an interruption with our flight. The online filing of a claim is very easy and you can track your claim online throughout the process. I will definitely use Allianz again to safeguard a trip.

Your customer services listen to me very carefully and have detail explanation. The people answer questions voice very friendly even though I request repeating or speak slowly... It is very good insurance company. Your settle time is reasonable and very convenient by checking online for claim status.

My husband had to have an emergency surgery. His airfare was refunded and my fee for reinstating air points was also reimbursed. I did have a problem before with a pre-existing clause, so I have learned to pay attention to exclusions. I think if you purchase insurance when you book your trip there aren't as many problems.

For unplanned reasons, I had to cancel a trip for which I purchased your insurance. Submitting a claim was simple, your acknowledgment was almost immediate and the resolution of the claim was handled in accordance with the timeline you established. This was excellent customer service!

I purchased travel insurance from the JetBlue site when purchasing my ticket. Travel plans changed like they sometimes do. I canceled my trip plans with the airline then filled out the claim forms. Within a couple of days I received notification that I was covered and the check would be mailed out the following week. I received the check promptly, thank you.

I had to cancel my trip because I am a police officer in Tulsa Oklahoma and they needed me to work. Claim #**. I was refunded on my return flight which was awesome. Claim #** not refunded on the outbound flight. I feel like I should get refunded the whole flight due to my situation and why would you refund the return and not the outbound. I know you will not refund the rest of the money but I feel like you should be made aware of this. Thank you.

So thankful I bought this policy!!! Mother was supposed to fly from Dallas to Seattle but got a major respiratory infection and was unable to fly. This policy kicked in and paid 100% of the out-of-pocket costs on mother's cancelled ticket. Making the claim was extremely easy. We filled out an online form, snapped a photo of the letter from her doctor with my phone and submitted the claim in five minutes. We received the refund within a couple of days direct to her bank account.

We had never purchased travel insurance but with our son's busy work schedule we wanted to be protected. Sure enough, his trip needed to be changed! It was super easy to file a claim. We had our travel refund in our bank account in less than 48 hours. So happy we decided to get travel insurance!

Fast claim. Excellent service. Will use again! I had to cancel a flight due to court case. I called and filed the claim online and I got my money in about 5 days. I thought I was going to be a long process but everything went ok. If I ever need travel insurance I will use them again.

Hello Mrs. Cohn,

Thank you for reaching out to us.I have reached out to Customer Service on your behalf and your policy does indeed offer Baggage Coverage. We have checked our inbox and do not have an email from you, but please send us an email at Help.Team@allianzassistance.com and we would be happy to assist you.

Sincerely,

Help Team

Original review: March 21, 2017

Our luggage was lost by the airline on a recent trip. I immediately emailed Allianz to verify our coverage but didn't receive any response despite it saying we'd hear back within 24 hours. (We did hear back a week later.) In the meantime I checked our policy and proceeded to buy clothing for my two children. When I submitted receipts, it was denied saying that I don't have that coverage. Although the policy clearly states I bought "baggage coverage" and the policy states that this includes "lost, stolen, delayed or damaged," they maintain that I don't have baggage delay coverage. Nowhere in the policy is this stated as a exclusion. Neither of the reps was able to clearly point out where in the policy it is excluded.

I believe that they first deny claims in hopes that policy holders will take the loss and not fight back. But this is clearly wrong and I will not sit back and have someone tell me that I don't understand what I've read. They say that I'm welcome to file an appeal when the official letter comes. I see that many of these reviews are answered with an email address by a rep named Bridgette and so I emailed directly before posting this review but that was 3 weeks ago and no response yet.

So I guess the squeaky wheel gets greased and I'll publicly post that Allianz is unable to explain how or why or where it states that my baggage coverage is not the same as the baggage coverage on 13-14 of the policy docs. We are owed $600 for the two bags that were lost (then delivered a day before we left back home). Please respond to me to correct this immediately. Thank you.

Hello Dirk Jessen,

I apologize that your experience with our customer service and claims did not meet your expectations. I will share your feedback as this gives us an opportunity to improve. I am currently emailing our Claims Department on your behalf and should receive a response within the next 1-2 business days. We appreciate your patience.

Original review: March 20, 2017

Allianz has continued to change, add, request, apologize, suggest, etc., but we never get closer to having our documentation arranged to their liking. This has been going on for 2 1/2 months now. If they are trying to frustrate me until I go away with my claim I think it is working.

Hello Len,

I am very sorry that your experience with customer service and claims did not meet your expectations and will share your feedback as this gives us an opportunity to improve.

Best Regards,

Original review: March 20, 2017

If you want stressful process of claim and wrong info from customer service then you get from them. You will ask them if valid then they will ask you so many documents. In the end will tell you unable to process. Waste of money and your time. They are the worst travel insurance. Dont get any insurance from them please.

This was my first time purchasing travel insurance and will never buy a ticket without it again. My flight was delayed for over 18 hrs. The claim was easy to file and I received my check in less than a week.

I'm pleased with the simplicity and quick response to my claim for a cancelled JetBlue flight on March 1, 2017. I first spoke with a agent who helped me and directed how to file using the website and I was surprised how quickly I received the check in the mail covering my loss. I will make sure I chose Allianz in the future.

My trip was interrupted when high winds caused my flight to be cancelled. Allianz took my call, told me my options and saved me from having to sleep in the airport terminal. They also quickly paid my claim. I will continue to use Allianz and recommend them to you.

We were delayed for 20 hours on a domestic flight. Although I could not get a live person on the phone, I was able to easily submit a claim on the website. I received rapid approval and reimbursement. I would recommend purchasing again.

Very fast reimbursement for a unfortunate delay that caused us to stay overseas. Highly recommended. We were reimbursed for lodging, transportation, and dining. Able to submit claim on internet. Filled out a few short questions. Submitted our proof for reimbursement and within 2 weeks I received a check.

Our flight returning from Orlando, FL to Philadelphia and then Harrisburg, PA was cancelled by the airline. I wasn't sure what to expect from our trip insurance, but was pleasantly surprised. I called the customer service number while we were at the airport and was told to keep receipts for our meals, lodging and local transportation, and the forms for reimbursement could be completed online or by mail when we returned. I scanned our receipts and submitted everything online. We received a check for the entire amount in less than 2 weeks. I am completely impressed, and will make sure to use this insurance for our trips in the future, although hopefully we won't need to use it!

I had a trip delay and filed a claim immediately after my trip, filling out the form and attaching the required receipts. I received a prompt response that my claim would be reviewed and shortly afterwards, I received notification that my check was on the way! Easy to file and great service.

Dear Daphne,

We are sorry to hear that you are disappointed with your purchased travel insurance. While our products provide comprehensive coverage, they do not cover every circumstance. We appreciate you bringing to our attention your dilemma pertaining to the confusion with the documents. We will use your feedback to improve as Customer Service is extremely important to us.

If you would like for someone to walk you through your policy or claim, please contact our Customer Service team at 1-800-284-8300, and someone will be more than happy to help you!

Help Team

Original review: March 16, 2017

I provided this company with everything they requested via email or on their website for my claim about travel delay. The policy I purchased, included coverage for travel delay. My claim was denied due to "this is a named perils travel insurance program, which means it covers only the specific situations, events, and losses included in this document, and only under the conditions we describe." The documents I turned in with my claim provided information that I was delayed for more than six hours. Due to this delay, I miss being with my aunt during her surgery. When I called Allianz several times prior to them making a decision, they were saying that I was missing some documents. On two occasions after I submitted the required documents, I had to submit them again.

Hello Mr. Vergauwen,

I understand your frustrations and apologize about the situation. I will consult with my Claims Team to see what is going on. Please email me at Help.Team@allianzassistance.com so we can talk about this matter more.

Help Team

Original review: March 14, 2017

Placed a claim due to medical reasons and got a confirmation on payment. However after a dozen emails and 3 overseas calls costing me 10€ each, still no bank wire transfer. Horrible experience with Allianz. Promises promises...

Allianz Global Assistance

Dear Gloria, We're so sorry to hear about your frustrations and would love to assist you. Please email us so that we can correct the name on the check. You can reach us at Help.Team@allianzassistance.com Sincerely, Brittany, HelpTeam

Original review: March 13, 2017

There is never an easy process with this company. Check is made payable to the wrong person. Despite all of the detailed notes that I submitted with my claim, the final check still was incorrect. Horrible! I am always on hold for at least 15 minutes. Horrible! Is this company located in the United States?

Allianz Global Assistance

Dear Ira, I'm sorry you had to cancel your cruise and hope you're well to travel soon. I would like to assist you with your claim but need some more details. Please email me at Help.Team@allianzassistance.com with your claim number and any information you wish to share and I'll look into the matter. Sincerely, Brittany, HelpTeam

Original review: March 13, 2017

In or about July 25, 2016 I purchased an online cruise policy from Allianz. On their internet site, I entered the information regarding age(s) for my wife (travel companion) and myself. The policy was purchased for subsequent travel/cruise. Unfortunately, due to medical reasons I needed to cancel our plans. I submitted requested forms (medical, paid invoices) and uploaded them on their internet page. Once Allianz paid for the loss, they only paid for the insured (myself). Allianz stated that I only covered myself when purchasing the policy. I attempted to explain that obviously my spouse is my travel companion and that the cost of the cabin would have been the same if I purchased the cabin (Royal Caribbean) for just one passenger.

The person I spoke with said I failed to insure my spouse (travel companion) when initially purchasing the policy. When asked why they reimbursed me for my lodging in total, the individual at Allianz just repeated the same statement. I had asked repeatedly to speak with the person that adjudicated my initial claim, however, he never returned my phone calls.

Very easy to deal with and no out of pocket for me. Good follow through, responds very quickly. I am glad that I bought travel insurance and recommend it to everyone. It's a must! I have not had any problems getting things taken care of. Everyone has been very nice to communicate with.

Allianz Global Assistance

Catherine, Thank you for the kind words. I'm so glad that the process was easy and the reimbursement was quick! Sarah, HelpTeam

Original review: March 10, 2017

It was so easy to file a claim by just following the instructions on the website. I wrote a brief description of the incident and submitted the supporting documents. The claim was approved after less than a week and the check arrived a week after the approval. Speedy process. Hassle free service.

Allianz Global Assistance Company Profile