2. Travel
  3. Travel Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.04/5

Allianz Global Assistance is one of the largest travel insurance companies and offers proven trip protection for vacations across the world. Allianz travel insurance helps cover the cost of delays, medical expenses and even cancellations. Plus, coverage also includes free access to assistance services like interpreters.

Top Allianz Global Assistance Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allianz Global Assistance?

I truly appreciate you taking the time to talk to me and your heartfelt concerns dealing with my situation. This is what it supposed to feel like on the other line. Real human, real care and real support. I have always used Allianz… I feel completely safe and comfortable with my choices and I know o

I submitted a request to received a refund for plane tickets to San Diego California in July 20. I'm in the military and I was unable to travel. It was a smooth process. I would like the thank everyone involved. Thank you so much. I really appreciate it!

BOTTOM LINE

Allianz is an affordable travel insurance company with worldwide coverage. While Allianz doesn’t offer customizable or flexible coverage, its various coverage levels ensure most everyone will find a package for them.

PROS

• Affordable price
  • Straightforward coverage
  • Multiple coverage levels
  • Worldwide assistance

CONS

• Can only cancel for specific reasons
  • Coverage not always flexible

How does Allianz travel insurance work?

Allianz trip insurance policies come in three tiers: Basic, Prime and Premier. Basic includes trip cancellation and interruption benefits as well as some medical and baggage coverage. Prime offers somewhat expanded Basic benefits and free coverage of children under 17. Premier protection comes with all the Prime benefits as well as expanded post-departure benefits, including bag delay, change fees, concierge services and more. It also includes more reasons for cancellation.

Allianz can help you personalize coverage to mitigate risks that might occur based on the type of trip you’re taking. For example, you can choose to add rental car protection or medical insurance for an additional price. Customers who travel a lot can buy multi-trip or annual policies.

Using the Allianz app

With the free Allianz TravelSmart app, you get instant access to their coverage benefits anywhere in the world, which lets you file claims easily and stay a step ahead during travel. In an emergency, the app can help you locate a screened and approved medical facility immediately.

Allianz travel insurance cost

Allianz travel insurance plans start at just $23 per trip. The cost of travel insurance varies based on the travel destination, length of a vacation, what type of coverage is needed, the cost of the vacation, the age of the traveler and a few other factors.

For reference, we requested a quote for a five-day trip to Mexico and received a quote for $139 for Premier coverage, $84 for Prime and $62 for Basic. Because the company is so large, it can offer low prices while also guaranteeing payouts.

Keep in mind that cancellation insurance only covers unexpected events, not foreseeable ones. Talk to a company representative if you have any questions about what is covered by your policy.

Allianz Global Assistance FAQ

What is a covered reason for trip cancellation with Allianz?
Covered reasons include unexpected natural disasters, divorce, severe injury, death and other events.
Does Allianz travel insurance cover flight changes?
Yes, for covered reasons. Each policy will outline what reasons are covered.
Who owns Allianz?
Allianz Global Assistance is owned by Allianz SE in Munich, Germany.
How many countries does Allianz operate in?
Allianz travel insurance operates in more than 70 countries across the world.
How do I submit a claim to Allianz?
Travelers can either file a claim on the company’s website or with the Allianz TravelSmart app.

Is Allianz Global Assistance worth it?

Allianz Global Assistance is one of the largest travel insurance companies and offers the financial protection needed to travel confidently. The company provides a variety of options and tiers of coverage, so most travelers can find the right kind of travel insurance for their needs and budget. While some competitors do offer more flexibility and customization in their travel insurance, like adventure coverage or cancellations for any reason, Allianz’s low prices make the company a good choice for most travelers.

Allianz Global Assistance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allianz Global Assistance?

Original review: June 15, 2020

My siblings and I planned an expensive trip to Cuba, so our mother could return to her homeland for the first (and last) time since she and our father were married there in 1959. We were going with a group of 12 of us, as our older children wanted to experience Cuba first-hand, as well. Luckily, we purchased insurance for each of us, as we had no idea what would happen between the time we booked the trip, and the actual trip date! We had no idea that a pandemic was imminent, flights would be cancelled, and countries would start banning tourists.

Our trip host refused to give us back our (large) deposit--hoping we would just postpone our trip. However, with our mother being 86, some of us becoming unemployed, and the grandkids headed in a million different directions, we had no idea when we would be able to reconvene for a trip like this. We agreed we should file an insurance claim, to get back our deposit money. Luckily, the process was smooth and painless, and Allianz refunded our entire deposit to us.

Original review: June 13, 2020

My husband and I had to cancel a trip from Boston to Arizona booked on American Airlines, April 2, 2020 to April 5, 2020. Weeks before the trip, our physician advised us not to fly, especially my husband who is diabetic and has serious asthma. He gave us letters to that effect. We had purchased flight insurance from Allianz so first we tried calling- that was hours and we were told we would receive a call-back but we never did. Then I tried to file a claim online but the claim would not transmit due to "unexpected technical error". We tried to fax a claim but the fax number kept coming back "busy/no response". Finally, I wrote a letter (I wrote 2 in the end) and made copies of our doctor's letters, our flight information, our Allianz contract- everything- and mailed it to Richmond, Va. We did receive an e-mail acknowledging receipt of our letter and finally, another e-mail saying that we would receive a refund check.

We are very grateful to Allianz for the refund and recognize that during Covid, there must have been many claims and calls, but it was a very long process to receive a refund and had I not been so persistent, no refund would ever have been sent. We have always, and will always purchase trip and flight insurance. We never used it before and hope we won't need to in the future, but the process needs to be a bit easier. Thanks you, though, for our refund. We hope you all stay well.

Get buying tips about Travel Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 25, 2020

We are very pleased with the timing of the dispensing of the check mailed to us after filing our claim. This was done in a very short turn around time. What was very frustrating was the initial online process for filing the claim as the web site for doing so was somewhat confusing and required connecting with a rep to lead us through the process. The required documents that were scanned in by us took initially; however, when we retrieved the form the doctor's excuse was not with the copy of the trip itinerary. Eventually, after several tries, we were able to scan in the required doctor's excuse. After working with the rep, Orlando, who was extremely helpful, although it was a little difficult to understand him because of his Spanish accent, was a Godsend. Without his assistance we could have never managed the confusing web site.

We followed up this phone call with two additional phone calls to two different reps who could not validate that the copies of the required documents had arrived and were acceptable. The last rep that I talked with said that there would be a return phone call in regard to this; however, it was never received. The end result with the full payment of the air fare was received in a very timely manner. This is the only time that we have ever purchased travel insurance and the only time that we needed it. In the future we will definitely do this.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2020

My trip starting in Austin, TX on December 2, 2019 to visit my daughter who lives with her family in Europe didn't start off very well. I fell, really hard & flat on my face, in the Munich main train station the day we arrived. The paramedics came and after examining my very scrapped face, said that I might have a brain bleed & they should take me, in their ambulance, to the hospital. I was treated in the ER and had to pay them 200 euros before I could be released. A few months later, I received a bill from the ambulance for over 900 euros! I paid it & decided to submit a claim for reimbursement from Allianz Global. Thank goodness I had bought their trip insurance. I wasn't very hopeful and couldn't believe it when I soon received two checks which more than covered the ambulance and hospital bills.

If you are traveling, I strongly urge you to get trip insurance through Allianz Global. I visit my daughter 2-3 times a year and will always purchase their very reasonably priced trip insurance. Hopefully I won't ever need to submit another claim. But if something happens, I know that Allianz Global will help me right away. Thank you Allianz Global Assistance!

Diane

Original review: Feb. 14, 2020

Alamo Car Rental gave me a hard time when the damage was noted on return of my rental. They asked for a $300 deposit. I refused and paid half. Alamo said they would not work with any Ins. company from a third party such as Hotwire. Once I received the quote from Alamo I dolled the directions from the email Allianz had sent me before our trip. The form was straightforward. I had taken pictures of the damage at the time and had those available as well. I emailed the form and within less than a week I was notified Allianz accepted the claim. Around 10 days later a check arrived. I had the option of Alamo being paid direct or a check sent to me. As I had already paid half I had the check sent to me, paying the balance to Alamo Car Rental. I was pleased with the ease of filing a claim once I received the invoice from Alamo Rent a Car.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2021

I went through Priceline to book a flight on Sunday December 27th. I purchased the insurance policy just in case anything happened. I was notified by my work two of our doctors tested positive for Covid and was required to get tested. I tested positive for Covid. Called Priceline and informed them I would not be able to take the flight. They offered a travel credit but noticed I purchased the insurance so I could go through them for just a straight refund but I needed to leave the trip reservation so they could file a claim and find the flight.

I then called Allianz and went through the claim process. My trip was not to take place until Dec 31st 2020. I submitted my receipt as requested, my itinerary, my document from the doctor as proof of positive Covid testing, the form they had me fill out for the refund, my email showing I did not take the flight because I cancelled and they have yet to refund my money. They now want a document on letterhead from United Airlines that they did not issue a refund after waiting the 10 business days they said that this would be resolved and refund issued that’s when I get the request for the letter. I reached out to United Airlines and they informed me all they are allowed to send via email is my ticket information.

I send the screenshot of that conversation to Allianz as well and yet here I am still without the $600 I paid for the trip while I’ve been out of work due to Covid and no resolution in sight. Seems my only option is to take the credit from Priceline and cancel my insurance because clearly it was pointless to purchase. I am so beyond annoyed after about 20 phone calls with Allianz I also called Priceline back and they stated they show where I called in before my trip to cancel and everything that if Allianz would just call them they would inform them of that and give them anything they needed. But guess what? Allianz magically can’t call Priceline to clear it up it’s out of their job descriptions. Priceline was great. Just need to switch who they offer insurance through. Terrible and a waste of money and so much time.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2020

We bought travel insurance for our trip. We got stuck in Dallas and needed to talk to the company about coverage. All 3 phone numbers we had for them were disconnected. Super frustrating. They had no problem promising service when we paid. They sent us an email when we bought the insurance with a link to their number and website. Non-working numbers, even on the website..

Original review: Dec. 15, 2020

I purchased Trip Cancelation and Interruption Plan for the trip to Europe via Polish Airline and Rent-a-car in January with flight for July 18 2020 but I cancelled due to Covid-19 about 2 weeks prior departure. Polish Airline and Rent-a-car fully return the amount but ABC Express Inc. from Mississauga added Cancelation, administration, penalty fees and tax! I summited the application for added Cancelation, administration, penalty fees and tax! I was reimbursed today after about 6 months waiting for (understanding Covid-19 workload situation) and working from home also missing some of my information. It took me quite a few phone calls and taking one mail with the missing directly in to the receiving and delivery office. The final result was positive as they mail me home the exact amount I applied for! I was skeptical about Allianz but I was wrong!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2020

Bought insurance when booked airline tickets, but when canceled trip due to health reasons they refused to pay. They did not accept doctor's letter for trip canceling. This insurance company is just a rip-off. Do your homework before buying insurance.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

I purchased the insurance to cover a ticket in case I wasn't able to attend. The show was for the following year because of COVID-19 and I was denied my claim for a refund due to the coverage only being for cancellations of events. I'm sure this company makes a lot of money off people purchasing because of the low cost, then only granting refunds for very few reasons. I will not purchase Allianz Global Protection again.

Allianz Global Assistance Company Information