It's that easy Request Information
4.39/5
Based on 1,392 ratings submitted in the last year

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

For more than 100 years, Allianz has been providing security and assurance to people around the world. Whether you’ve lost luggage on a trip, your roof was damaged in a storm, you lost your job or would like to retire, Allianz has your back.

Allianz Global Assistance Gallery (4)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

Allianz Global Assistance Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

I purchased travel insurance on June 18, 2019, for a scheduled round trip on JetBlue. I was booked to leave San Jose, CA on Monday, September 16th (arriving JFK on 9/17) and to return to San Jose, CA from JFK on Wednesday, October 2, 2019. On July 4, 2019, I awoke with severe pain in my left foot. As I suffer from osteoporosis, I initially thought that I had broken a bone in that foot. My PCP was able to get me an emergency appointment with a podiatrist, who believed I was suffering from Gout and treated me accordingly. Within the next two weeks, the pain had spread to my right foot and was beginning to extend up my legs. I subsequently had both an MRI (revealing a fractured disk), as well as a Nerve Conduction and Electromyography study (which revealed chronic and severe nerve damage emanating from S1/S2). I have been essentially bed-bound from July through the current date.

When I finally determined that there was no way that I could fly the 5+ hours to NY without significant pain, I contacted JetBlue to cancel my flight. They refunded my base fee, net of a $100 penalty, to a Jet Blue Travel Account. At that time, they also indicated that I would be reimbursed (to my form of payment) for the amount I had paid for my “Even More Space” seats. When I initially filed my claim with Allianz, I included both the $100 penalty, as well as the “Even More Space” fees, as the credit had not appeared on my card. I also uploaded my PCP’s monthly appointment notes, as well as the results of the MRI and the Nerve Conduction/Electromyography study.

Within 15 days, I received an Allianz check for the entire amount reported. As Jet Blue had subsequently posted credits to my credit card for the “even more space” seats, I contacted Allianz to ask how I should return the amount paid me for those fees. It was a pleasure to deal with the Allianz agent. He was very courteous and pleasant. I subsequently cashed the Allianz check and returned the excess to the Recovery Department. The entire process was very simple and straightforward, requiring very little time or effort from me. I would definitely recommend Allianz to anyone who flies and wants to protect their “investment” in airfare.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

I bought the insurance for medical reasons as my husband had a kidney transplant and I am on an insulin pump. Medical issues at our age (60s) can come up quick sometimes. I did not know about the travel disruption. My husband was looking over the policy in our hotel room on the way home from Myrtle beach and discovered it.

We were surprised and so happy. The process of filling out the paperwork online was extremely easy and all we had to do was get a copy of the original bill which took a bit of time. But after we submitted the correct paperwork the process was so FAST and we were ecstatic at the refund of the money. It was a long drive from Rochester NY to Myrtle Beach SC. We kept hoping the Hurricane would pass us by as we had only been there a few days. But as it got closer I got more nervous and when we got the mandatory eviction from the hotel it was a mad rush to leave and got stuck in all the traffic. The vacation we had planned for our anniversary was ruined. But the insurance was wonderful at least we got the money back for the resort and it was a quick and easy process.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2019

I rented a car through Hotwire in late February to travel to Maine from NYC. They offer the Collision/Damage Coverage from Allianz in the website, so I decided to take it instead of paying the extra fee of CDW (Collision/Damage Waiver) offered by the rental company. That weekend, we had a winter storm and the roads were covered with snow/ice. When driving back to the city, in the highway, I hit a block of ice (5" H x 5" W). I inspected the vehicle, checking for any damages, but there were none (visible, at least). Half an hour later, the car stalled out. We called the rental company, who tow the car to the closest rental office. We changed vehicles and kept driving back to the city.

5 months later, I received an invoice from the rental company, charging me $12,000 USD for the damages caused to the vehicle. It turned out that the block of ice broke the lower core of the engine and they were charging me total loss and replacement, and they were charging me because I didn't accepted the CDW offer by the rental company (mandatory to be covered by Allianz). I called immediately to file the claim - it was very easy and user-friendly through their website. I submitted all the paperwork requested online, and they negotiated internally with the car rental company. The situation took around 6 weeks to be resolved, but at the end, Allianz covered all the damages without any premium or affecting my personal insurance record. And, even though it took longer than expected, every time I called to Customer Service, the people were very transparent and gave all the information available in regards the claim.

I'm totally satisfied with the service, and I find it very useful - but only for longer trips or rentals longer than a week. If you're planning to rent a car for a week or less, just pay the extra fee for the CDW offered by the rental company; the price difference won't be significant and you won't have to worry, no matter what happens to the car, when you drop the keys in the counter when returning it. However, if your planning to rent a car for longer than a week, then it might be worth it because you could be saving some money; although, be ready to deal any claims from the rental car company if an accident happens. Just make sure to have all the paperwork available if something happens.

Original review: July 15, 2019

Allianz Global was extremely easy to work with when it came to making a claim on a cancelled trip to CO. Since I have had a few episodes of vertigo which comes for no apparent reason, I decided to purchase travel insurance. Sure enough a couple days before the trip I woke up with vertigo which is very debilitating. I went to the ear institute to receive a treatment for the vertigo. I asked the doctor to write a letter in case it didn't improve enough in the next couple days, since there was no way I could fly in this condition.

After cancelling the trip I called Allianz Global and spoke to a rep that was very pleasant. He helped me to make a claim and sent a form via email. After filling in the information and sending it with the doctors letter, I received an update on the status of my claim. I just received a check in the full amount of my plane ticket and am very happy I made the wise decision to purchase travel insurance.It makes more sense to lose the $20 on insurance than to risk losing $379.on plane fare, I plan to do this for every future trip just to give me peace of mind. Thank you Allianz!

Original review: July 14, 2019

My buying travel insurance at the last minute was the best thing I ever did last month. My sister had planned a sibling weekend with my brothers in Jackson, MS - and because I am the one that lives the furtherest away, I needed to book a flight. One of my brothers had had a heart attack in January and had surgery, but was still feeling poorly six months later. In fact, he was feeling so poorly, he had to tell us as the weekend got closer, that he just wasn't up for a visit at all. He was too ill. This left me with a $400.00 non-refundable airplane ticket.

However, in my correspondence with Allianz - both via email and on the phone - I just needed to provide them a few documents and they said they could provide a refund or I could put in a claim for the $200.00 change fee when I booked another flight in the future. I was not optimistic because I thought they would find some reason not to do as they had promised - but I was wrong! Once I provided what I could provide them as far as documentation, I had a check in the mail in no time. The people I spoke to on the phone were very informative and courteous - everytime I called them! Thank you Allianz! Things happen unexpectantly and changes need to be made - thanks for understanding this and providing quality service! C.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allianz Global Assistance?

Original review: Oct. 14, 2019

Due to a health issue we had to cancel out rain trip across the USA. Luckily we had taken out Allianz cancellation insurance. The claim process seems straightforward if you live in America but not so if you live abroad. The claim form asked for a US address and wouldn't let you proceed if you didn't complete this. After a phone call and some emails we finally got there but it did take a few tries. We are happy with the outcome but perhaps an intentional claim form would have helped?

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

Allianz is extremely responsive and quick to refund your money when you file a claim. I have never been denied a refund when I have filed a claim with them. They are very quick to respond to your claims. The app is outstanding and very easy to use. It takes less than ten minutes to file your claim using the app.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

We booked airline tickets for October travel in February. In August my husband had unexpected knee surgery. He was unable to travel. Requesting a refund for his airfare was straightforward. It couldn't have been easier. We are so glad we added trip insurance. We have always done so in the past. This is the first time we needed to use it.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

We had Allianz insurance for our two week trip to Alaska. We both became sick on the cruise ship. The medical bills were quite expensive. Allianz reimbursed us in less than 4 weeks. All we had to do was fill out the form and submit pictures of the bills.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

We purchased tickets in the hopes of going to Florida for a much needed get-away after my mother's death. I purchased insurance in case my dad got worse and we couldn't go. Allianz helped me with the claim and I got my ticket money back. Well worth the $70.00. Helpful representatives. Thank you!

Allianz Global Assistance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Allianz Global Assistance has a long history in the industry. They were the insurer on the Wright brothers' flight and on the construction of the Golden Gate Bridge.

• Instant online quoting: Plan a trip and get travel insurance, all in just a few minutes.

• Annual coverage available: Frequent travelers often find annual coverage more affordable.

• Tiered-coverage options: Get as much or as little coverage as you need with four different product tiers on single-trip service.

• See state options: Individual states have different regulations regarding travel insurance, so see what is available in your state, within moments.

• Kids ride free: Children under 17 are automatically included in the price with the Classic Plan or Classic Plan Trip+ tiers.

• Best for: Party animals, workaholics, adventurers and family trippers.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky