It's that easy Request Information
4.39/5
Based on 1,719 ratings submitted in the last year

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

For more than 100 years, Allianz has been providing security and assurance to people around the world. Whether you’ve lost luggage on a trip, your roof was damaged in a storm, you lost your job or would like to retire, Allianz has your back.

Allianz Global Assistance Gallery (4)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

4260 Allianz Global Assistance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

I paid for travel insurance with Allianz and during the course of my trip, some items of mine were stolen. This fell under the terms of my coverage, so I filed a claim along with a police report that I had filed within 24 hours of the incident (note: this is required!), and expected that everything would proceed accordingly. Little did I know that I was embarking on a four month journey through customer service hell.

These people are absolutely shameless with their ability to evade and obstruct any meaningful or timely processing of a claim. They would reference emails that weren't sent, calls that were never made, or notify me of requests for further documentation via mail that would arrive two weeks after the letter was dated. They very clearly intentionally drew out this process to make it as difficult as possible for me to receive my claim. I spent no less than ten hours on the phone with their hopelessly incompetent customer service representatives explaining the details of my claim, only to have it ultimately rejected due to erroneous information. In the end, they did cover my claim once I corrected this information, but only after an extremely protracted and painful four month process. I would definitely NOT recommend!

Get expert buying tips about Travel Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

We purchased travel insurance for a vacation booked through JetBlue to Aruba. A winter storm hit and all flights into the northeast were cancelled for 3 days. When I first called Allianz, I spoke to a representative that told me all our expenses would be covered and to save our receipts. It took us 4 days to get home with multiple flights and hotel changes, plus a rental car as we were unable to get a flight into our original airport. I submitted all the required documentation with all receipts and copies of cancelled flights. Allianz is now saying we didn't have coverage for "trip delay" even though 2 of their reps said we would be covered. $2800 later, they don't want to pay and now we are in an appeal. What a nightmare, they should be ashamed of themselves.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

Your service has been terrible this year. It took over a month to process the last part of my claim. Usually it takes 10 days. 2 different customer service reps said I would get communication within 48 hours twice and never did. I wasted so much valuable time calling in several times and the second rep said they had no claim documents when the first rep said they can see they were submitted on 1/3. You lost them??? The website doesn't work properly. It does not generate a claim number for me when I submit documents. The first part of my claim was processed on time but they did not make the payment for weeks even though I submitted deposit info with my claim. Again I had to call in several times wasting so much valuable time on my travels. Just horrible customer service. How will you compensate me for my time??

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I usually purchase insurance with all of my Ticketmaster events, but the 1 time I decided to file a claim due to thunderstorms throughout my event, I was denied the benefits in which I purchased... Will never do it again... Best bet is to resell your tickets.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

It is interesting that I can read at least 2 complaints each week about not received cheques. I have filed a claim, approved and the cheque is not received. And that has happened twice for a file. Each time it takes 1-2 months to reissue the cheque and send it out agian. No direct deposit. It could be certainly a scam. They have provided cheque numbers. But isn't it possible for them to issue the cheque and torn it apart? They can keep the money 4-5 months more with this trick in their account. They are making money out of that. It is not fair.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allianz Global Assistance?

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I am HIGHLY disappointed in your travel insurance policy. When I purchased the travel insurance via American Airlines website, all it allowed and stated was a check box to choose for insurance and you all GLADLY took my money. When it was time for my refund, you all made check out to the passenger of the flight and not myself who was purchasing the ticket with my credit card.

There was NO OTHER option to change policyholder to myself. My father was in his final days in the hospital when I was attempting to refund and switch the name on the check. And your cold-hearted staff said I needed to get his signature to sign the check over or call you all. My father was unable to barely breathe on his own and was using a CPAP machine to assist his breathes in and out much less be able to sign or speak. He passed away very shortly after and you all said I needed to get his wife (the other passenger) to call. His wife and myself were not on speaking terms after his death so this was a very uncomfortable position you all put me in.

I just asked for once in your life to have some common sense and make an exception. I was willing to provide my credit card number, bank statements and even get American Airlines to prove I used my own credit card. I am disgusted with Allianz and will spread the word to as many people as possible via social media to express my disgust with your company.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

If you have money to give without any hope of actual practical coverage, please - donate to some worthy cause instead. What they cover is so restrictive it's a total waste of time and money to subscribe. I have been scammed by Allianz twice. My fault to trying again. Won't happen a third time!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

Allianz decided to complete the claim without waiting for all documentation. The letter stated that I could provide additional documentation to receive 100% of what I was due. I provided the medical certification. I was told thru email that you needed 10 business days to handle that. It has been close to double that and I have heard nothing. Last week I entered a customer service request to see what was going on. Still nothing. Not a good experience at all.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

Response to our claim was handled very efficiently and professionally after a very unfortunate and devastating accident prevented us from traveling. We are thankful that we had insurance and will continue to look to Allianz for our travel insurance needs in the future.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

Have been a policyholder for several years and made a couple of claims always with the confidence of being fairly and promptly treated. This was no exception and I just bought another policy for 2019. Continually recommend to friends.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

Hotel Refund. Thought process could have been better - 1ST time had to use and would NOT really recommend. Very difficult and did not think people were really willing to assist - very DISAPPOINTING!!! Difficult to get check and hotel was uncooperative with getting my cancellation receipt. Would not RECOMMEND booking a hotel as booking with hotel directly would have been more helpful to cancel and obtain refund.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I signed my children up to attend a track and field camp at a local college. I noticed that there was an option for cancellation coverage so I signed up for it. My daughter later decided not to attend so we cancelled and then discovered that we must have a doctor’s note. Nowhere in the initial sign up did it say we must have proof of anything. Somehow we were reimbursed for one (after a lot of emails and phone calls) but not the other 7 because we did not have some kind of proof from a doctor. So I would sum up with one word: SCAM.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

My claim was filed via the website on December 6th. I believe that there was a message that I would receive, an email within ten business days, but I never received an email confirming that was claim was received and contained the necessary information/documentation. I started trying to determine the status of my claim around December 23. My claim number was not recognized, but my policy number was. There was no status available. After multiple unsuccessful attempts to determine the status of my claim, I finally took the attached screenshots. I received a check for my claim around January 23. I certainly am happy that my claim was approved and paid, but until I received the check, I didn't know if I had submitted everything required or even if it was being considered. Even having "In Review" as the status would have been more comforting than absolutely nothing.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I never buy insurance because it’s usually a pain - but I did this time and I’m so glad. I was victim of recent fires in California and I just couldn’t make planned trips. Allianz took care of it. They also repaid an overcharge on their part they caught on their own. Great service - I’m very impressed.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

We feel that everyone we spoke to regarding our circumstances and subsequent claim were professional, helpful, and knowledgeable. The customer service representatives we spoke with when we were evaluating our options assisted us in understanding our coverage so we could make appropriate decisions. We have used Allianz in the past and will use the service in the future.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I made a claim and didn't hear back. I checked in a few weeks later with an email asking what the status was and didn't hear back. Only when I checked the status did it say the claim was paid. Apparently a check was sent. Why couldn't someone write an email to state this? Or at least respond to my previous inquiry? I was left in the dark. Also. Filing the claim was difficult. Things I tried to upload didn't upload right according to someone over the phone. So I uploaded again and ended up having double the attachments that was needed. I felt unsure that things were being done correctly via your system.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

We had a very good experience with the company. They were efficient and competent agents. We were overseas and needed their help. They contacted us and tried to be very helpful. I would highly recommend the company. I will definitely use them on my next trip.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I bought a trip for my son as a gift, I bought cancellation insurance for the flight, because he’s been in the fire department hiring process, he was selected and was told he would have to be ready for a phone call to be ready for training, which means he can’t take any chances going away. When I called to cancel I was told this was not a covered reason, when I explained, he said “oh you knew this before booking”. I said yes. He then told me, they don’t cover training or assessments, and his training wasn’t on the days of travel. I told him due to the nature of the travel, it would put him in situations where he could be declined his spot, he then stated “well I can put in a claim but good luck”.

I asked to speak to a supervisor, he then said, "Well we have six here so it will take 24 to 48 hours for them to respond." I said, "Well that's not fair, he can’t go and I bought this for these reasons." He said, "Well you didn’t read the reason not covered when you pressed confirm." I got angry, he laughed on the phone and said, "Well mama I’m going to hang up now." I asked what his name was. He said “Jackson, but that doesn’t matter. Do you want to put in a claim or wait 24 to 48 hours for a supervisor to call you. You won’t be getting your money back because he isn’t going to train until after his trip.”

I told him that during his trip time he would be preparing for the training day, he said “Cancellation doesn’t refund being assessed or training.” I again explained that it’s not assessment, he’s already been hired and was told to be ready as he can get called in any time. I have no reason to put down any company, but I bought this insurance for a very good reason, I was not treated right at all on the phone, he put me down, laughed at me and told me, "Well good luck", then hung up on me. I truly feel this is not right, Why else would someone cancel a trip unless for good reason. I just don’t feel this was fair at all for our circumstances.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I was beyond impressed at every step of my experience. I was so sad to cancel my trip, but SO happy not to run into any issues at all getting a refund. The online experience and phone customer service were both 5 stars... even more! Thank you for making an unfortunate experience much easier on our family!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

Due to health issues with my wife we needed to cancel a flight. We no problems with our total refund and are very pleased with the service. We will continue to use this company in the future for travel insurance.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

Service was good at refunding the trip we had to cancel at the last minute. Easy to fill out claim form online and easy to attach the necessary documents to support our claim. Payment was prompt and a check was mailed right to us.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

Last Nov we were delayed by weather in Springfield, Ill on our way to Dallas and then to PVR. We had to spend the night in Dallas. We turned in a claim with credit statement and receipts for room and food. We were reimbursed for both with no problems. Will always get your travel insurance if all claims are that easy. Thank you for your prompt action.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I became very ill in Thailand and Allianz was there for me every step of the way. Per my insurance plan with them, they paid for my hospital bill in full and upfront with little to no interference from me. There was a qualified rep there every single time I called from my hospital bed and they were always friendly and willing to answer all of my questions. Allianz worked with a Thai insurance company to make sure all of my bills were paid to the hospitals I stayed in and made sure I was getting the best care possible in the city I was sick in. Also per my plan with them, they even offered to pay my return flight home if I needed it, but I ended up continuing my trip.

Filing a claim with Allianz wasn't like filing with other insurance companies where they try to tell you you're not covered. Allianz didn't beat around the bush or make me jump through any hoops, they just helped me. Travel insurance was the best purchase I made for my trip and I never recommend anyone traveling without it.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

My claim for trip interruption due to illness was handled well. I received payment for the additional cost of re-scheduling the flight that I missed and for the penalty charged for re-scheduling. I appreciate the service that was provided by your company. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

Our claim processing went very smoothly & quickly once I provided all information asked for. I spoke to a representative for more info & they were very helpful! I would definitely use Allianz again the next time we travel for those unforeseen issues that can come up!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

Great service. Paid just like the policy stated! My Husband and I got sick the 2nd day on the cruise. Refund was sent within 2 weeks of filing the claim. I will always buy this insurance when traveling in the future. It pays to have the right insurance!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

Unforeseen family health issues forced the cancellation of our flights and Allianz promptly refunded the cost as soon as I filed the claim. Filing online was easy and response was received within a couple of days and refund was received in less than two weeks.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

Such a professional and courteous company. While traveling overseas I experienced a medical issue. When I returned, my claim was handled in such an amazing and timely fashion! The claim was easy to file online and was promptly handled in a manner over and above my expectations and handled in an extremely quick manner. Thank you!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

Good morning. Allianz provided superior service when I became ill on a Holland America Cruise and required medical attention beginning Nov. 3 thru Nov. 14. Attention by the Allianz staff, on a daily basis, was comforting; payment for services rendered by the Madeira Clinic, reimbursement for interrupted cruise, and repatriation to the USA was "immediate." Thank you. At present, the only unreimbursed portion for medical care are the Infirmary charges by the Konigsdam Ship/Holland America. I understand that Allianz will be in touch with my Blue Cross Blue Shield carrier. I have recommended Allianz to people I know who are planning vacations. Again, you have my absolute appreciation.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I have used trip insurance only a few times. I purchase the trip insurance almost as an afterthought. Then something unexpected happened. Fortunately I had the trip insurance to cover this unexpected event. Going forward you can bet I'll be using Allianz.

Allianz Global Assistance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Allianz Global Assistance has a long history in the industry. They were the insurer on the Wright brothers' flight and on the construction of the Golden Gate Bridge.

• Instant online quoting: Plan a trip and get travel insurance, all in just a few minutes.

• Annual coverage available: Frequent travelers often find annual coverage more affordable.

• Tiered-coverage options: Get as much or as little coverage as you need with four different product tiers on single-trip service.

• See state options: Individual states have different regulations regarding travel insurance, so see what is available in your state, within moments.

• Kids ride free: Children under 17 are automatically included in the price with the Classic Plan or Classic Plan Trip+ tiers.

• Best for: Party animals, workaholics, adventurers and family trippers.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky