1.1/5 (81 ratings)

About Allianz Global Assistance

Allianz Global Assistance is one of the largest travel insurance companies and offers proven trip protection for vacations across the world. Allianz travel insurance helps cover the cost of delays, medical expenses and even cancellations. Plus, coverage also includes free access to assistance services like interpreters.

Pros

• Affordable price
  • Straightforward coverage
  • Multiple coverage levels
  • Worldwide assistance

Cons

• Can only cancel for specific reasons
  • Coverage not always flexible

Bottom Line

Allianz is an affordable travel insurance company with worldwide coverage. While Allianz doesn’t offer customizable or flexible coverage, its various coverage levels ensure most everyone will find a package for them.

Top Allianz Global Assistance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I truly appreciate you taking the time to talk to me and your heartfelt concerns dealing with my situation. This is what it supposed to feel like on the other line. Real human, re...

Verified

I submitted a request to received a refund for plane tickets to San Diego California in July 20. I'm in the military and I was unable to travel. It was a smooth process. I would l...

How does Allianz travel insurance work?

Allianz trip insurance policies come in three tiers: Basic, Prime and Premier. Basic includes trip cancellation and interruption benefits as well as some medical and baggage coverage. Prime offers somewhat expanded Basic benefits and free coverage of children under 17. Premier protection comes with all the Prime benefits as well as expanded post-departure benefits, including bag delay, change fees, concierge services and more. It also includes more reasons for cancellation.

Allianz can help you personalize coverage to mitigate risks that might occur based on the type of trip you’re taking. For example, you can choose to add rental car protection or medical insurance for an additional price. Customers who travel a lot can buy multi-trip or annual policies.

Using the Allianz app

With the free Allianz TravelSmart app, you get instant access to their coverage benefits anywhere in the world, which lets you file claims easily and stay a step ahead during travel. In an emergency, the app can help you locate a screened and approved medical facility immediately.

Allianz travel insurance cost

Allianz travel insurance plans start at just $23 per trip. The cost of travel insurance varies based on the travel destination, length of a vacation, what type of coverage is needed, the cost of the vacation, the age of the traveler and a few other factors.

For reference, we requested a quote for a five-day trip to Mexico and received a quote for $139 for Premier coverage, $84 for Prime and $62 for Basic. Because the company is so large, it can offer low prices while also guaranteeing payouts.

Keep in mind that cancellation insurance only covers unexpected events, not foreseeable ones. Talk to a company representative if you have any questions about what is covered by your policy.

Allianz Global Assistance FAQ

What is a covered reason for trip cancellation with Allianz?
Covered reasons include unexpected natural disasters, divorce, severe injury, death and other events.
Does Allianz travel insurance cover flight changes?
Yes, for covered reasons. Each policy will outline what reasons are covered.
Who owns Allianz?
Allianz Global Assistance is owned by Allianz SE in Munich, Germany.
How many countries does Allianz operate in?
Allianz travel insurance operates in more than 70 countries across the world.
How do I submit a claim to Allianz?
Travelers can either file a claim on the company’s website or with the Allianz TravelSmart app.

Is Allianz Global Assistance worth it?

Allianz Global Assistance is one of the largest travel insurance companies and offers the financial protection needed to travel confidently. The company provides a variety of options and tiers of coverage, so most travelers can find the right kind of travel insurance for their needs and budget. While some competitors do offer more flexibility and customization in their travel insurance, like adventure coverage or cancellations for any reason, Allianz’s low prices make the company a good choice for most travelers.

Allianz Global Assistance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allianz Global Assistance?

Original review: Sept. 28, 2022

Bought concert tickets and had the option to buy cancellation insurance in case I was able to attend for any reason. As it comes out I am not able to attend. Called Alliance to submit my claim and was denied because my reason wasn't good enough. It wasn't a unreasonable reason listed in their options. Basically you have to be maimed before they will approve the claim. This company is a rip off. Taking people's money for their scam insurance and not honoring why we buy the insurance to begin with. Never ever will I deal or recommend this company to anyone. Very poor business practices.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

Called company, couldn’t Understand the other person on the line and when I asked him to repeat it several times they hung up on me. This happened a couple times. Then when I called back and asked to speak to another department they transferred me and nobody answered. I was on the phone for hours and this happens several times and by the time I reach somebody they said they couldn’t help me because they weren’t insured in BC.

I received another callback and they weren’t able to help me so I was going away. I told him to phone me at a number that was fraud a country and I never heard from them and then by the time I got to somebody at one point they said all that I would only get partial refund. And they transferred me to somebody else and I had to leave. I couldn’t wait because nobody would answer. It was the worst customer service. I had one person explain to me that the servers have been down. They're having problems with their Internet I guess and when I told that to another person I talk to she said that’s not true so I’m not very happy with this company at all and I didn’t mean to book the insurance but I was in a hurry doing the booking and I was trying to cancel but it was a terrible experience with this company trying to get a hold of anybody.

Get buying tips about Travel Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2022

Submitted trip interruption claim with documentation on May 26, 2022. It is now late September, I haven't been reimbursed for my expenses and all I've gotten is the runaround from 13 different claims examiners regarding the status of my claim. Total lack of verbal or written follow-up communication from anyone in Allianz. My feeling is that Allianz hopes that by totally ignoring me I will eventually stop calling and they won't have to pay claim. Do not use the company for travel insurance.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2022

Dishonest reimbursement policies, stay away…I purchased a travel plan- among the benefits was a baggage delay benefit that provided $100 for any delayed baggage more than 24 hours (“no receipt required.”) Unfortunately my baggage was ended up being delayed, and not only did they stall the claim for months and asked for a receipt (which I provided), they proceeded to deny reimbursements based on the receipt items (medications, wound supplies, toiletries) that I purchased due to the delay! I ended up getting $3 out of the $100 benefit. I had been planning to use Allianz for other travel plans, but now I am looking elsewhere because if I can’t trust it with a smaller thing like a baggage delay, I certainly can’t trust it for more serious things like health emergencies! Yikes.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2022

My claim is into the third month following submission of my claim. I suspect Allianz is overwhelmed by Covid related trip cancellation claims because it looks like the reviews were relatively good pre-Covid and almost universally awful post covid. I gave the company one star but I would give it less if I could. My biggest complaint is the lack of responsiveness and promises unkept. When I have been lucky enough to get through to someone on the telephone, that individual would inevitably claim that I needed to speak with the specific claim's handler assigned to handle my claim. A couple of times I was actually promised a call back within 48 hours; which never happened.

When I finally got through to someone at Allianz on the telephone who was willing to speak with me, she candidly told me she was not assigned to my claim and could not help. However, that same claims handler did tell me that the sheer volume of covid related claims received by Allianz has been overwhelming and the company simply can't keep up. For my part, I have sent all of the requested documents; but, Allianz continues to tell me that I need to send them an itinerary. I have no such document but did provide my airline tickets and a letter explaining my trip details, including Bermuda immigration stamp received upon my arrival.

My claim happens to be a medical claim and the event occurred on the day of my return flight from Bermuda to Boston. It seems pretty clear that my medical event is covered and the claim analysis appears to be quite simple. I provided the hospital billing statement, treatment records, and my credit card information and receipts. It is a modest claim of approximately $3,500 to reimburse me for emergency medical expenses that I paid in full on the day I received emergency medical care. No question regarding when and where the medical event occurred or how much was spent on emergency medical care or, that I was in Bermuda on my return date of travel when the event occurred.

I suspect Allianz is delaying payments because of huge claim volumes and likely playing a shell game to move certain liabilities to different accounting periods to smooth out its quarterly accounting. I am not enjoying the claim experience thus far and I can't imagine ever purchasing any type of insurance from this company in the future. However, having had a medical event in a foreign country, and realizing how difficult it may be to obtain reimbursement from my medical insurance carrier, I do think I will buy travel insurance in the future. Just not from Allianz.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2022

For a timely filed claim in April 2022, I called back numerous times to receive no update. On 7/2/22 I was told that I will receive an update within 5 business days. I was given Inquiry and note #. I called back on 7/11/22, no update. I called on 8/31/22, and my call has been transferred three times now, but I have been unable to talk to anyone.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2022

I purchased 3 weekends tickets at the Saratoga Race Track. I purchased them in April and bought the Allianz Travel Insurance. Unfortunately I had to fly to Florida for a few different procedures on my heart and lungs. I sent claims in right after the venues. I have not received any money except $37 that I paid for the insurance. My cost to purchase these tickets for Turf Tables were over $500 plus $37 insurance for each tickets. Do not buy from this company as they don’t care about the customer after talking to them. Never buy venue insurance from them again,

Original review: Aug. 22, 2022

Recently, my college daughter was to travel to Ecuador for a semester abroad. I purchased her very expensive ticket from American Airlines, and purchased the Allianz flight insurance that American Airlines recommended. Two weeks before she was to leave, the country of Ecuador shut down the boarders for any students from other countries studying in Ecuador. The only work around was applying for a student visa, but that would take 5-6 weeks (background checks, interviews, translation into Spanish). Since the course started in two weeks, my daughter had the heartbreak decision of dropping out of the program, and the company organizing provided all documentation of occurrences for reimbursements.

Allianz refuses to reimburse the plane expense since it does not meet their requirements? Evidently, a country shutting its boarders does not constitute an interruption in travel. My husband and I spent hours on the phone with Allianz, and they kept on referring to some loopholes in the agreement. Bottom line, it seems this company will always fall back on loopholes and will never reimburse. Luckily, American Air issued a travel credit, but I would avoid Allianz Travel at all cost, for now I am out $61.61, my hours lost on phone calls, and my patience.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2022

Filed claim 6/3/22 sent in paperwork a total of 4 times. Keep being told claim is with inspectors waiting to be reviewed. On 8/11/22 was guaranteed that in 24-48 hrs would receive a call. Now 8/22. NO call No info. Just spoke to supervisor, Rafael, who hung up on me. They certainly are "Hassle Free". There seems to be no way to get legitimate information from them.

Original review: July 27, 2022

I purchased 2 tickets to an event and I purchased a $17 per ticket insurance. The event is in three months and my work just booked me to travel on that date.

I spent probably an hour trying to set up a new login which failed and did not give administrator info. But once I figured out who to talk to, the quantity of paperwork that the company required in order to process the return was ridiculous. Also the information I received from the agent didn’t sound positive and she said it could take up to a year to get the refund. I could have spent two hours putting together all the paperwork, scanning it and sending it into Allianz, or I could just give my two tickets away which is what I did. I will never recommend the Ticketmaster insurance. Ticketmaster should be also held responsible for their choice in using a scam company like Allianz.

Allianz Global Assistance Company Information