Find a Travel Insurance partner

2. Travel
  3. Travel Insurance

3.7/5 (525 ratings)

Insure your next trip with Generali Global Services

Choose from 3 different plans today!

Get a Quote
Find a Travel Insurance partner

About Allianz Global Assistance

Allianz Global Assistance is one of the largest travel insurance companies and offers proven trip protection for vacations across the world. Allianz travel insurance helps cover the cost of delays, medical expenses and even cancellations. Plus, coverage also includes free access to assistance services like interpreters.

Pros

• Affordable price
  • Straightforward coverage
  • Multiple coverage levels
  • Worldwide assistance

Cons

• Can only cancel for specific reasons
  • Coverage not always flexible

Bottom Line

Allianz is an affordable travel insurance company with worldwide coverage. While Allianz doesn’t offer customizable or flexible coverage, its various coverage levels ensure most everyone will find a package for them.

Top Allianz Global Assistance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I truly appreciate you taking the time to talk to me and your heartfelt concerns dealing with my situation. This is what it supposed to feel like on the other line. Real human, re...

Verified

I submitted a request to received a refund for plane tickets to San Diego California in July 20. I'm in the military and I was unable to travel. It was a smooth process. I would l...

How does Allianz travel insurance work?

Allianz trip insurance policies come in three tiers: Basic, Prime and Premier. Basic includes trip cancellation and interruption benefits as well as some medical and baggage coverage. Prime offers somewhat expanded Basic benefits and free coverage of children under 17. Premier protection comes with all the Prime benefits as well as expanded post-departure benefits, including bag delay, change fees, concierge services and more. It also includes more reasons for cancellation.

Allianz can help you personalize coverage to mitigate risks that might occur based on the type of trip you’re taking. For example, you can choose to add rental car protection or medical insurance for an additional price. Customers who travel a lot can buy multi-trip or annual policies.

Using the Allianz app

With the free Allianz TravelSmart app, you get instant access to their coverage benefits anywhere in the world, which lets you file claims easily and stay a step ahead during travel. In an emergency, the app can help you locate a screened and approved medical facility immediately.

Allianz travel insurance cost

Allianz travel insurance plans start at just $23 per trip. The cost of travel insurance varies based on the travel destination, length of a vacation, what type of coverage is needed, the cost of the vacation, the age of the traveler and a few other factors.

For reference, we requested a quote for a five-day trip to Mexico and received a quote for $139 for Premier coverage, $84 for Prime and $62 for Basic. Because the company is so large, it can offer low prices while also guaranteeing payouts.

Keep in mind that cancellation insurance only covers unexpected events, not foreseeable ones. Talk to a company representative if you have any questions about what is covered by your policy.

Allianz Global Assistance FAQ

What is a covered reason for trip cancellation with Allianz?
Covered reasons include unexpected natural disasters, divorce, severe injury, death and other events.
Does Allianz travel insurance cover flight changes?
Yes, for covered reasons. Each policy will outline what reasons are covered.
Who owns Allianz?
Allianz Global Assistance is owned by Allianz SE in Munich, Germany.
How many countries does Allianz operate in?
Allianz travel insurance operates in more than 70 countries across the world.
How do I submit a claim to Allianz?
Travelers can either file a claim on the company’s website or with the Allianz TravelSmart app.

Is Allianz Global Assistance worth it?

Allianz Global Assistance is one of the largest travel insurance companies and offers the financial protection needed to travel confidently. The company provides a variety of options and tiers of coverage, so most travelers can find the right kind of travel insurance for their needs and budget. While some competitors do offer more flexibility and customization in their travel insurance, like adventure coverage or cancellations for any reason, Allianz’s low prices make the company a good choice for most travelers.

Allianz Global Assistance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allianz Global Assistance?

Original review: June 30, 2021

It was May 26, 2021. My personal experience was frustrating at the beginning. My claim was for Covid-19 reasons but before I went back and forth with Allianz and Airline. First the airline didn't want to change my flight because I booked for a basic flight ticket and Allianz was asking for a change confirmation from airline. I explained both my situation, none could do anything for their own reasons so I submitted a claim to Allianz explaining my problem again. I submit all documents Allianz requested and wait. I was able to track the claim status but no one contacted me after the first email they sent when claim was submitted.

After a month, on June 24, 2021, I got an email saying they were sending a payment of the total amount I paid. That was an awesome news. But I had the intrigue of "are they paying or not" for all this time. READ THE TERMS IN YOUR CONTRACT for your own sake please. With no insurance you risk to lose everything. With insurance you risk to lose everything too. Sometimes it's not the money and clothes, it's the documents and legal papers that we may or May not lose. In addition. I pray before I filed for the claim and it worked. Do what you gotta do but do it wise.

Original review: June 16, 2021

I purchased flight protection on my flight just in case, my traveling partner ended up getting seizures and being admitted into the hospital, it was horrible we were all so stressed out and didn’t know what to do because we couldn’t go on our planned vacation. The customer service and help that I got was awesome, it helped me so much and I definitely recommend this company for travel insurance!

Get buying tips about Travel Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 13, 2021

Have purchased insurance for my trips many times and never disappointed with Allianz. Peace of mind knowing that my trip was covered is well worth the extra bit of money you spend to cover it. I had to file a claim once and Allianz was clear in their communication and fast to take care of things. I did not have to worry about anything once I submitted the necessary paperwork.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2021

It was not hard to apply for my refund, it required some proving and verification but they were understanding. I have to show proof of the doctor's visits but I was only asking for the ticket value no other expense. Thank you, I will use this insurance again.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2020

I purchased Trip Cancelation and Interruption Plan for the trip to Europe via Polish Airline and Rent-a-car in January with flight for July 18 2020 but I cancelled due to Covid-19 about 2 weeks prior departure. Polish Airline and Rent-a-car fully return the amount but ABC Express Inc. from Mississauga added Cancelation, administration, penalty fees and tax! I summited the application for added Cancelation, administration, penalty fees and tax! I was reimbursed today after about 6 months waiting for (understanding Covid-19 workload situation) and working from home also missing some of my information. It took me quite a few phone calls and taking one mail with the missing directly in to the receiving and delivery office. The final result was positive as they mail me home the exact amount I applied for! I was skeptical about Allianz but I was wrong!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2021

In short, I'm still waiting for reimbursement for our flights six weeks after notification of our medical emergency cancellation. This is NOT a Covid situation. My husband experienced a seizure approx. one week prior to our scheduled departure, which resulted in a diagnosis of a metastatic, malignant brain tumor. Surgery occurred Aug 23rd, from which he continues to be recovering and has not been released from care. I anticipate many long months of rehab, and no travel permissions. All medical documentation, purchase details, flight information and cancellation documents have been provided to Allianz, yet the claims continues to be 'in review.' To say I am frustrated would be a gross understatement. Never again will I use this company. It will be costly, but at this point, it's the principle of the matter, my next step will be litigation. Many people have given 5 star reviews for this company, however my experience has been quite the opposite.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2021

We have been AAA members for years. On a recent trip to Europe and Russia August 2021, our AAA agent SCAMMED us into buying this travel insurance with Covid Pandemic. We trusted Amy **, Fort Worth Texas AAA travel agent after a long sales pitch on the necessity of this insurance. It is a SCAM. Allianz has denied 6 claims made on this policy.

Trip Interruption
    Baggage Delay or Lost
    Medical Costs

Airline Delays

I documented everything with Confirmation Numbers, Ticket Numbers, photos and dates and times. Allianz denied everything continually requiring MORE documents. Amy should be ashamed to offer this to her clients. AAA should be drop Allianz from its members offering. Allianz should be prosecuted for Insurance FRAUD.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2021

If ZERO stars were an option, I would give them that. I purchased this insurance to cover the cost of my concert tickets so if I was unable to attend the concert I could get a refund on the cost of the tickets. I knew I was not going to get the insurance money back. At the time, it was worth the $15/ticket because the tickets were $200. At first I was glad that I purchased the insurance because I am now not able to go due to a a medical issue.

I filed a claim to get the cost of my tickets back, and it was denied because I WOULD NOT give them the medical reason. They are requiring me to get a doctor's note stating why I am not able to attend. This is in complete violation of my HIPPA rights. They claim that it isn't because I am getting the doctor's note not them. I STILL HAVE TO GIVE ALLIANZ THE DR.'S NOTE. IT IS NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS WHAT MY MEDICAL REASON IS!!!! I will NEVER use this company again. I will buy ALL of my insurance needs through AAA. They have great customer service.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2021

Do not waste your money. Your flight will be cancelled, your hotel will be unused, and you won’t make your show because you never made it to your destination. You bought trip insurance so you are covered right? WRONG! You will file your claim, you will provide documentation, you will email, you will call - but you will NEVER get a resolution. Allianz will not answer your calls or emails and will continue to ask for the same documentation over and over again. This is their game. Do not play - you will not win. This company is a total joke.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2021

Insurance for trip was put on hold (suspended) because of COVID. Now, it is rescheduled, but Allianz is not responding to requests to have it reinstated. I suspect that this represents fraud, as the company was informed of the suspension and has ignored the requests for reinstatement. Not even the courtesy of response by those appropriate.

Allianz Global Assistance Company Information