It's that easy Request Information
4.57/5
Based on 1,763 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

For more than 100 years, Allianz has been providing security and assurance to people around the world. Whether you’ve lost luggage on a trip, your roof was damaged in a storm, you lost your job or would like to retire, Allianz has your back.

Allianz Global Assistance Gallery (4)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

3332 Allianz Global Assistance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 22, 2018

Over the past few years have been very happy with Allianz Travel Insurance. My husband has a rare form of cancer and we’ve been going through various forms of treatments over the last five years. I always use the insurance because there have been a few times where I’ve had to cancel my flight. Other than needing a doctor's certification one time it has not been inconvenient at all. You have to jump through a few hoops but I don’t blame the insurance company for that.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 22, 2018

I purchased insurance because I planned to travel out of state to attend a K-con conference which my daughter really wanted to attend as an early birthday gift on Sat. June 23. On Wednesday June 20th our family pet started what is called a cluster of epileptic seizures (20 within 24 hours) which rendered him with over medical issues including temporary blindness.

I contacted Allianz Global Assistance to inform them that with the unexpected emergency my daughter and I would not be able to attend this event not knowing if our pet would expire over the weekend. The agent at Allianz informed me that if our pet was military issued they would honor our claim but if it was just a family pet we were not covered even with documentation of this emergency. Needless to say, I will never secure any future tickets with this company again. I feel that this policy is ridiculous that you would cover a pet but only if it's military issued. Our pet is a part of our family and I couldn’t imagine being at a show while he is suffering/dying.

Original review: June 22, 2018

Excellent and prompt service!!! Professional as well as courteous!! Allianz was always available for any questions I had. My refund was returned back to me within 24 hours after my documents was submitted. I would always recommend Allianz to anyone, because you just never know.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: June 21, 2018

I purchased Allianz Global Assistance insurance when booking a trip to Managua, Nicaragua (long before the current civil unrest began). Recently, the hotel I had booked shut down and canceled my reservation, the U.S. Embassy closed, and the U.S. State Department urged Americans not to travel to Nicaragua. Managua has been in the news regularly, and hundreds of people have died in what seems to be becoming a civil war.

It would be incredibly dangerous for me to travel to Managua (and I wouldn't even have a place to stay there), so I assumed the insurance I purchased would help refund my airfare. I spoke to multiple people on the phone who were of no help, and I jumped through many hoops online to file a claim, submitting a multitude of documents (I had to fill out the claim document twice for some reason). My claim was denied, and this is what they said:

"No coverage is provided for cancellation due to the issuance of travel advisors, bulletins or alerts; war or acts thereof; civil disorder, riot or unrest; bomb scare or threats of terrorist activity; or terrorist acts against any Common Carrier (i.e. airline or cruise line)". Acts of WAR, civil disorder, and riots aren't covered??? This company clearly does not care about its customers; they care about taking peoples' money and then sending them into dangerous situations. I'm never purchasing their insurance again, and I urge others to think carefully before doing so and to carefully research what exactly is covered (if war isn't covered, what is???).

Allianz Global Assistance response
Hi Claire,

Thank you for explaining your situation. I know we reached out to you on Twitter yesterday, but please email us at Help.Team@allianzassistance.com with your claim number and we would be happy to look into this matter in more detail for you.

Original review: June 20, 2018

WORTHLESS WASTE OF MONEY AND TIME. I purchased Allianz insurance for some concert tickets because my wife is pregnant and was having some morning sickness off and on, and sometimes throughout the day. When the concert day came around she was puking all day, and obviously didn’t want to attend the event. At the time we were relieved that we had purchased the insurance so that we could be reimbursed for the tickets, but after contacting Allianz we were disappointed to find out that it was really just a scam and they wanted an impossible amount of documents from a doctor's visit that unknown to us was necessary to occur within 72 hours of the event.

Even after hours of explaining to these imbeciles that morning sickness does not require a doctor's visit, and providing proof that my wife was pregnant and having issues with nausea and vomiting, they refused to reimburse for not only the tickets (that were only $90) but also for their completely worthless insurance that I wish I had never seen and bought. Worse then the loss of money was the loss of my time and energy and the amount of frustration and headache these scandalous wackos caused. Meanwhile the ticket company actually was super understanding and willing on reimbursing the cost, just like any real human being with half a heart or brain would. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY OR TIME WITH THIS SCANDALOUS BUSINESS.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allianz Global Assistance?

Resolution In Progress
Original review: June 20, 2018

I’m still waiting for payment for this claim confirmed by your company 17 May. I don’t understand why this is taking so long. I know I’m an international customer but that should not make a difference at all. Please can you help?

Allianz Global Assistance response
Hi Jan,

I will reach out to our claims department and see what is going on and let you know via email. Is the email you posted on this site correct?

Thank you!

Original review: June 20, 2018

Allianz Global Assistance was prompt, thorough, and communicated clear instructions while assisting me in the process to redeem full airfare due to my child's surgery. I had purchased my airfare ticket and Allianz Insurance. My son needed surgery and the date was set right before my trip. I had to cancel the trip and Allianz was ready to answer all my questions. Smooth transaction, low stress.

Original review: June 19, 2018

I cancelled my Airlines flight due to the flu. Allianz reported back after I made the request for a ticket refund that they could not reimburse me as I had been treated prior to purchase for the illness. That was not true. I wrote to them and they came back with another excuse. They are not reliable.

Original review: June 19, 2018

Calling to your tel number 800-334-7525 every day to ask for an answer on the medical portion of this claim (Hospital-balance due, surgeon and anesthesiology fees) which are still pending of payment after one month and 15 days of my emergency occurred in Mexico City. The person in charge of this claim processing - J.R ext ** is never available. Kindly asking for a prompt resolution of this claim.

Original review: June 19, 2018

When I called the representative had very concise and clear directions. The submission process for documents online was easy. And the resolution was reasonably quick. There was no demand for further documents or questions. The payment also arrived promptly. Thanks.

Original review: June 18, 2018

Was satisfied with claim award! Was looking for a little more help on flight back, but none the less still satisfied, thank you!! Will be very apt to again buy travel insurance with your company which we have used before and will again.

Original review: June 18, 2018

Used to cover a flight on a trip that I did end up having to cancel for health reasons. Submitted a couple of documents with my explanation and within a week, I'd been told the trip was covered and received funds shortly after that. I was extremely pleased with the whole process. The online submission was a little buggy (wouldn't let me click on the list of needed documents for my particular case), but overall it was easy and quick.

Original review: June 18, 2018

I have bought Allianz insurance for cruises and trips for many years, but fortunately have never had to file a claim until now. Your process for filing a claim was very straightforward and easy. Your response was timely both before the claim was submitted and after. I appreciate the fast response and am glad I had coverage. I also have long-term health care insurance through Allianz.

Original review: June 18, 2018

When calling in with our delay the associate we spoke to was very clear about our policy and gave us peace of mind to improvise during a frustrating ordeal. The claims process has been smooth. I found receipts I forgot to include so I resubmitted my claim. Thank you!

Original review: June 18, 2018

I was unable to travel due to health issues related to a surgery so we needed to file a claim and the process was really quite painless. We received a check for our travel reimbursement about a week after filing, I felt that was really a quick turnaround. I have no complaints and would totally buy our travel insurance from Allianz again.

Original review: June 18, 2018

I received the needed help to file for reimbursement of the cancellation fee, for which I was insured. The process took about 2 weeks and I received the refund. I had a few options on how to file the claim and I used the one most convenient for me.

Original review: June 17, 2018

I was pleasantly surprised at how quick and efficient making a claim was with Allianz. Honestly, I expected an awful battle, with me chasing the company for months. Immediate response to claim filed, and met the ten-day timeline. Received check for payment in full. Would absolutely recommend them as an insurer (airline flights).

Original review: June 17, 2018

Your staff handled my claim expediently and with courtesy. Within two weeks, I had my refund deposited into my personal checking account. I will not hesitate to use Allianz again for my travel needs, and will recommend your company to my friends and family.

Original review: June 17, 2018

I was very surprised with the timeliness with which my claim and refund were addressed. In this day and age, you do not see that very often. I am very glad I chose to purchase the policy as the illness was so very unexpected and disappointing that I could not make the trip. I would certainly recommend this to my friends and family.

Original review: June 16, 2018

We didn't learn that the last leg of our flight was cancelled due to bad weather until we arrived at the airport on our connecting flight. The airline had already booked us for the next day but would not cover hotel costs for weather related delays. We filed our claim with Allianz upon our return home and received our check just 13 days later. Very satisfied with the response and would purchase in the future.

Original review: June 16, 2018

After booking a flight a family member was in a tragic accident and required shoulder reconstruction. I had to cancel my flight and help care for them. I sent the proper paperwork and doctors report and in about two weeks received confirmation of reimbursement for my flight. The money was deposited in my account in about a week after that. I will only use this company whenever I travel. It was stress free.

Original review: June 16, 2018

Unfortunately, I had to submit a claim. It was handled very fast and effectively. I appreciated that. The instructions were clear and precise. I was extremely happy that I decided to invest in the insurance this trip, as I usually do not.

Original review: June 16, 2018

This was the 2nd time I had to cancel my trip due to health conditions in our family. In both cases, Allianz was so helpful in reimbursing me. They were extremely helpful in answering any questions I had, and proficient in helping me process my claims. I trust them to always be fair in their assessment of any claims. Thank you Allianz.

Original review: June 16, 2018

Due to severe illness and ER visit, we were unable to go on our vacation. I was to sick and receiving medication that didn't allow me to travel. I put in my claim and within 3 weeks received a check for the full amount of our trip minus the taxes paid. Thank you.

Original review: June 16, 2018

I was happy because I was able to file a claim for some health stuff I needed taken care of. I am now very unhappy because it won't let me file another claim. The health issue was still occurring so I had to go in again and pay again. I tried to file the claim and it wouldn't let me.

Original review: June 16, 2018

It was easy to buy and I felt to receive all to need but I was claim for recommendation from my doctor. Still the service was great. I going to recommends this company and next time I will travel I going to use.

Original review: June 16, 2018

Allianz Insurance was a life saver. My mother got sick and Allianz refunded all my airline ticket costs. A must have if you or family have health problems. Claim was done easily online. No hassles. Refund was deposited directly into my checking account.

Original review: June 15, 2018

While on a cruise, my partner became very ill and the doctor on the ship recommended to leave the ship and be attended to at a hospital on shore. My partner had to undergo surgery, after which we flew to our final destination. I was reimbursed by Allianz for the 8 days we missed on the cruise. Thanks Allianz.

Original review: June 15, 2018

Our trip was interrupted by the need for my wife and I to help care for my wife's brother who was unexpectedly diagnosed with cancer. We followed the procedures for making a claim to Allianz and provided all the requested documentation. After two weeks we checked our claim status online and determined that our claim was being paid in full. We received a check soon thereafter. The only improvement in the service would be for Allianz to affirmatively notify claimants once the claim has been approved, rather than our having to check the website to learn the status of our claim. Thanks for a positive claim experience.

Original review: June 15, 2018

Made sure first that my claim qualified according to their policy. After you initially contact them, they email you with the paperwork needed to verify your claim. Once I provided that, the transaction went very smoothly and I received my refund. Do the work... reap the reward!

Allianz Global Assistance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Allianz Global Assistance has a long history in the industry. They were the insurer on the Wright brothers' flight and on the construction of the Golden Gate Bridge.

• Instant online quoting: Plan a trip and get travel insurance, all in just a few minutes.

• Annual coverage available: Frequent travelers often find annual coverage more affordable.

• Tiered-coverage options: Get as much or as little coverage as you need with four different product tiers on single-trip service.

• See state options: Individual states have different regulations regarding travel insurance, so see what is available in your state, within moments.

• Kids ride free: Children under 17 are automatically included in the price with the Classic Plan or Classic Plan Trip+ tiers.

• Best for: Party animals, workaholics, adventurers and family trippers.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky