It's that easy Request Information
4.21/5
Based on 1,261 ratings submitted in the last year

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

For more than 100 years, Allianz has been providing security and assurance to people around the world. Whether you’ve lost luggage on a trip, your roof was damaged in a storm, you lost your job or would like to retire, Allianz has your back.

Allianz Global Assistance Gallery (4)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

4586 Allianz Global Assistance Consumer Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I became very ill in Thailand and Allianz was there for me every step of the way. Per my insurance plan with them, they paid for my hospital bill in full and upfront with little to no interference from me. There was a qualified rep there every single time I called from my hospital bed and they were always friendly and willing to answer all of my questions. Allianz worked with a Thai insurance company to make sure all of my bills were paid to the hospitals I stayed in and made sure I was getting the best care possible in the city I was sick in. Also per my plan with them, they even offered to pay my return flight home if I needed it, but I ended up continuing my trip.

Filing a claim with Allianz wasn't like filing with other insurance companies where they try to tell you you're not covered. Allianz didn't beat around the bush or make me jump through any hoops, they just helped me. Travel insurance was the best purchase I made for my trip and I never recommend anyone traveling without it.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

My daughter flew to MN to escape the smoke and fires in Washington. I was going to go to WA to celebrate my 70th birthday with my daughter, 14 month granddaughter, her husband; my son, 18 month granddaughter and his wife. I had rented a house on Lake Chelan for three days for this celebration. Because of the smoke, my son and his family went to Hawaii and my daughter and her daughter came to MN on August 13. We would fly to WA together on August 24 for my birthday on August 28.

However, the smoke continued at a hazardous level of over 400 parts per million. There was a level 3 evacuation. We had no choice but to cancel the house and the flights. I had purchased insurance simply because my husband had been recently diagnosed with bladder cancer. He had two surgeries and was in a six week treatment. A lot going on for sure. Alaska canceled each of our flights for $125 each.

My daughter did not have insurance. We had purchased her ticket with miles. My circumstances did not fall under the usual reasons to cancel a flight, but I wrote a similar letter as I have written here. Allianz sent me a check for $125. I have a credit with Alaska to use within a year. All worked out. My daughter and granddaughter stayed safely with me here for five weeks. Thank you for responding and making it easy for the refund. I love Alaska Airlines and now will purchase insurance with Allianz because you never know what might happen.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I purchased tickets through Ticketmaster and it gave me the option to purchase ticket insurance. I went ahead and made the additional purchase because the concert was going to be in Nashville (6 hours from me) and a couple of months in the future. A week before we were to leave, my father got sick and had to be admitted to the hospital. I wasn't going to be able to attend because this was going to be a family trip and he couldn't travel and he was close to dying so we needed to be close at hand until his health was better. I was concerned about losing almost $150 on tickets but couldn't see a way to make the concert. I went online and tried to file a claim with Allianz, but received an error message when I tried to complete the application. I then tried on my home computer and it also didn't work.

I contacted Allianz customer service and the lady emailed me the claim forms. By this time, I was more concerned because the concert was in a few days and I wasn't sure if it was too late. I filled out the forms and scanned and emailed them in. Another concern I had was the only real proof that I had concerning his hospital stay was the top copy of his hospital discharge papers which described his problems and it had his doctor's phone numbers and it was just a JPEG picture that I took. The weekend went by after I sent everything in and I hadn't heard from Allianz (I was expecting the worse and at least a response that I required further proof). Then a few more days went by and then I received a check in the mail for the full amount on my tickets.

When dealing with insurance issues such as this (I recently used insurance on an online purchase on an item that didn't work as expected and I received the "run around") I expected the worse. I was more so apprehensive when I hadn't heard from Allianz for a few days but I was more than pleasantly surprised at how easy this process was (albeit except the online claim process). I plan to use Allianz again for all my ticket purchases in the future. I didn't rate "5 stars" simply because the online claim didn't work and it didn't indicate there was a problem. This part needs to be reviewed and fixed as required.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

In early May, we booked a trip on American Airlines to Arizona to meet family and friends from Chicago for a week in Sedona at the end of July. From there we were going to Chicago with them and flying back to Florida in August. The trip was booked as 3 separate one-way flights, fortunately all insured with Allianz. In late May, my husband went to the emergency room with what has turned out to be the start of a summer filled with doctor and hospital visits while they diagnose his ongoing kidney problems and decide what needs to be done. As a result, his doctor told us he should not travel and we canceled all 3 flights. I filed claims online, scanned and submitted the e-tickets online, called Allianz to find out what additional documentation would be needed, and got a letter from the doctor, which I also scanned and submitted online.

All the claims were reviewed and have now been paid. The insurance saved us close to $1000 in canceled airfares and everything was handled in a timely fashion. The list of necessary documentation on the website is very extensive, so I suggest calling the very helpful customer service people to find out what they need for a given situation. My only negative comment is that on all three submissions, I asked for direct deposit of the refunds, but for two, I was sent checks instead. The third actually was made via direct deposit. I have no idea why and decided since we received the refunds, it wasn't worth calling about. We're seniors and things happen, so we have been using trip insurance from Allianz for several years when booking flights and will definitely be using it in the future.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

I was hospitalized following a fractured back and was admitted to the hospital on July 5th. I was diagnosed with bone cancer and started chemotherapy on the 20th, therefore could not travel on the 17th - 20th. I sent documentation of my hospital admission... the actual billing info. The claim was held up because I needed a Note from a doctor. Since I had a fractured back and was getting chemo I did not want to have to do that, because I cannot drive and was so sick. When I called the first gentleman was nice but insisted that I had to have a doctors note. The oncologist knew nothing about my trip anyway.

I asked to speak to the supervisor and was transferred to a very nice man who listened to my story and talked with his manager. When he came back on the phone he said they would accept the current documentation and would send me the refund. Right now my I cannot remember the supervisors name but he was a very kind man and wished me luck in my course of treatment. I hope he is rewarded in some way and knows how greatly I appreciate him taking the burden away from me and easing my stress levels.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allianz Global Assistance?

Original review: June 20, 2019

I field a claim recently after one of my best friends died suddenly before my trip was to begin the following day. I had to reschedule everything very quickly so I could give the eulogy at his funeral. I filed the claim and it was denied. I've probably purchased over 100 trip insurance policies (many international) through your company. I've only filed one other claim. This is just wrong. I will never purchase your insurance again upon checkout while buying my ticket. I am actively looking at your competitors now.

Original review: June 20, 2019

Very happy with the claim process. Very easy and the instructions were very clear with what you needed to submit. Seamless! Will make sure to purchase insurance again for my flight because you just never know when you may need that. I wished I would have purchased the insurance when I have my flight to Europe. I only considered the snow and figured it isnt going to snow so I dont need insurance. Well, I have to spend the whole night and part of the day in an airport through no fault of mine. I highly recommend insurance for just the added security.

Original review: June 20, 2019

I had to cancel my flight due to medical emergency. I uploaded the hospital admission letter and the doctor’s note to Allianz website, and then got refunded fully in a couple of weeks. The Allianz’s service was fast and convenient.

Original review: June 20, 2019

I would highly recommend Allianz insurance. I had to use it for the first time as I got sick and couldn't travel on a plane. I had no trouble receiving my refund. It was fast and easy! We will continue to buy insurance from Allianz for future trips!

Original review: June 20, 2019

My 98 year old grandmother had been taken to the hospital and wasn’t going to survive the day before my flight. The day of my fight I called and talked to a very nice young man who told me step by step what I needed to do. I wish I could remember his name! I didn’t know how long it would take but the claim form was easy and as long as you have the proof of the situation everything goes great! I was very happy with the outcome and my refund. It would have a made a bad time worse but because it was so easy it wasn’t. I’m very much a happy customer!

Original review: June 19, 2019

Review every word of the documents BEFORE you buy! Allianz PHONE REPS told me the policy was valid for any reason. When I had to cancel for loss of job they dug up a policy clause that excluded loss of job for less than 12 months. READ THE CONTRACT!

Original review: June 19, 2019

I have been using Allianz travel insurance for some time now and I'm very satisfied with them. Fortunately I've only had to put through a claim once and was very satisfied the way they processed the claim in a timely manner. I've recommended them to family and friends and will continue to do so.

Original review: June 18, 2019

Service was great. Online form was easy to follow. The follow up was immediate and solution was very fast. I will in the future I will make an increase in my insurance. I will make I take out insurance each time that I fly.

Original review: June 18, 2019

Representative was amazing and helpful with my questions and took care of our refund and processed it immediately! Our son had a last minute medical issue and was told he could not fly so we were very thankful we took the insurance on the flight purchased. Very professional! Thank you!

Original review: June 18, 2019

I am extremely satisfied with my annual Allianz Travel Insurance Policy. It gives me peace of mind whenever and wherever I travel that any mishaps will be covered. Just recently, on an international trip with a non-US carrier, Allianz reimbursed me for a suitcase that was totally damaged in transit. In contrast, I have still not received any reply from the foreign carrier after 2 months to my correspondence concerning their mistreatment of my baggage. I am confident that my blanket policy will cover my needs throughout the year.

Original review: June 18, 2019

We were in Mexico and I experienced a medical emergency and Allianz was terrific. They helped my husband navigate all through the whole process on the phone with the hospital. Everything was taken care of and after returning to the States, the service was very professional and courteous to help us get reimbursed for extra travel charges due to my hospital stay. All the reps and claims assistance people were fabulous.

Original review: June 18, 2019

I have yet to receive the payment I am due. Naturally, this kind of negates the whole purpose of the insurance. This is my second attempt to bring the issue to your attention. This brings up the question: How many "One Star" ratings does it take to get a response?

Original review: June 18, 2019

Easy to file, quick response and fair amount distributed for the inconvenience. I always get insurance when I fly and although I have only used it twice, it has been well worth the amount that I paid. I would recommend it highly.

Original review: June 18, 2019

I wound up needed to use my travel insurance following an injury that resulted in needing surgery, leaving me unable to travel or drive. The online forms were easy for me and my doctors to follow to submit the proper claim, and it was approved within days, taking all the stress out of missing my vacation and losing out on that travel money.

Original review: June 16, 2019

I did need to file a claim with Allianz, and to my delight, my claim was handled efficiently and fairly. I also had confusion over my receipt of funds-but that too was handled professionally. I will purchase this insurance again.

Original review: June 15, 2019

For whatever reason, I got an instinct to buy travel insurance, and I’m glad I did because I needed it. My sister was diagnosed with cancer and I ended up canceling my trip. The whole process with Allianz was smooth and uneventful. I easily filed a claim and was refunded for my trip promptly. Thank you Allianz! I will buy travel insurance again from Allianz.

Original review: June 15, 2019

Because I was traveling with elderly family I thought it would be wise to take out travel insurance. It’s worth it. My mother developed severe bronchitis and we had to cancel our trip. Calling Allianz customer service was easy and they were friendly and courteous. Was refunded my airfare quickly.

Original review: June 14, 2019

This was the first time in my life I had filed a claim for travel insurance, purchased prior to a trip. After the trip was cancelled, a claim was filed with Allianz Global Assistance. Their rep contacted me within 24 hours of filing the claim and let me know that after reviewing the circumstances leading to the trip cancellation, they had approved my claim. The money I had paid for the reservation was refunded shortly thereafter. I couldn't be happier with the way Allianz Global Assistance handled this situation.

Original review: June 13, 2019

Unfortunately, I got sick when I was on my cruise, and had to see the ship Doctor, and was prescribed medications.. Filing a claim was very simple; all I had to do was send in a copy of the bill, and within about a week, I received a check with a full reimbursement for the total amount of the bill. Slick! This was much easier than I thought it would be. I would use them again, in a heartbeat.

Original review: June 13, 2019

Booked a three week trip to Ecuador in December 2018 for travel in May 2019. One week before trip medical issue prevented any travel. Allianz was contacted. All expenditures were refunded within 3 days after claim submitted. FANTASTIC service. Will again contact Allianz when trip is rebooked.

Original review: June 13, 2019

Hello, want to thank Allianz for prompt return of refund for canceled flights due to illness. The process was simple and with little stress. I would recommend Allianz to my friends for their professional manner and timely responses. Thank you, again. Josephine

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 13, 2019

I emailed Allianz on May 6, 2019 asking for $89.00 reimbursement as there were no aisle seats available when I rebooked my air travel. As a result, I had to book an extra comfort seat on Hawaiian as it was an aisle seat; it cost $89. I have a medical condition and I require an aisle seat; I mentioned that I could obtain verification of my condition, if necessary. Allianz did not respond to my email request.

Allianz Global Assistance response

Matt,

Thank you for posting on Consumer Affairs and providing me the opportunity to respond to your comment. I'm sorry your emails weren't responded to. If I can help you with your claim, don't hesitate to email me your claim number. I'll share your feedback as it provides an opportunity for improvement.

Regards,

Alexandria

Help Team USA

Original review: June 13, 2019

We planned a family trip to Las Vegas, my grandmother always wanted to go because she loves the casinos. We were going to celebrate her birthday and my graduation. Unfortunately we didn't make it to Vegas, she died a couple weeks before the trip. Allianz rep was incredibly helpful, considerate, and polite. The process was easy, I filled out the docs online and submitted the documents required., done. I had time to deal with funeral arrangements.

Original review: June 13, 2019

The online claim submission was easy and quick. I appreciated that because I had developed an illness and was not feeling well. I am also not very tech savvy so I appreciated the easy to use online form. I received a check within ten days to reimburse flights cancelled due to illness. Highly recommend based on this experience.

Original review: June 13, 2019

I had a trip planned for almost 8 months, I broke my hand and had to have surgery on it on December 10th. The orthopedic surgeon said at the time, I should be fine to go fishing out in the gulf of Mexico with no problems by May. Obviously there were problems as my hand did not heal as quickly as hoped and I couldn't even cast out a line, let alone try to reel in a 40 lb fish, so I called Allianz and explained my predicament and was able to cancel my trip and receive a refund with no hassles at all.

Allianz Global Assistance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Allianz Global Assistance has a long history in the industry. They were the insurer on the Wright brothers' flight and on the construction of the Golden Gate Bridge.

• Instant online quoting: Plan a trip and get travel insurance, all in just a few minutes.

• Annual coverage available: Frequent travelers often find annual coverage more affordable.

• Tiered-coverage options: Get as much or as little coverage as you need with four different product tiers on single-trip service.

• See state options: Individual states have different regulations regarding travel insurance, so see what is available in your state, within moments.

• Kids ride free: Children under 17 are automatically included in the price with the Classic Plan or Classic Plan Trip+ tiers.

• Best for: Party animals, workaholics, adventurers and family trippers.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky