4.37/5
  • 1 star
Based on 1,120 ratings submitted in the last year
Show rating distribution

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

For more than 100 years, Allianz has been providing security and assurance to people around the world. Whether you’ve lost luggage on a trip, your roof was damaged in a storm, you lost your job or would like to retire, Allianz has your back.

Allianz Global Assistance Gallery (4)

A+

BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 17, 2017

2245 Allianz Global Assistance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

Filing our claim was actually too easy. Letter from resort on Saint Maarten that it was unable to operate after hurricane Irma and our check was on the way. Agent was most helpful and the wait time was very short.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

Do NOT purchase travel insurance with Allianz!!! Very unethical and deceptive. I purchased it to cover my flights on a cross country business trip "just in case" something came up and I wasn't able to go. It was very clear that it covered "trip cancellation" in case of an injury or illness to myself or an immediate family member (if I needed to stay home and care for them). Well... my 6 year old son became ill and our family pediatrician strongly advised that I needed to stay home to care for him. I filed a claim well in advance of my flight dates and completed the Physician's form along with the other required documents. It was a pain to jump through all the hoops and submit the claim but I kept thinking to myself "At least I made a good decision to purchase the travel insurance".

Well... I just received the denial letter from them stating that type of illness my son had is not covered. ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!! The whole reason I purchased the travel insurance was in case something like this happened!!! I called to talk to customer service and the only thing they could tell me was "it's a decision the insurance underwriters made". Wow, talk about an unethical company with poor customer service. I tried to leave a review on the Allianz review site and they won't let me saying my email address is not valid. Yeah, the same email address that I purchased the plan with and have been communicating with them ever since I filed a claim. What a joke!!! I started reading the good reviews they had and they were mostly from people who bought the insurance plan but never filed a claim. They make sure to invite people who don't file a claim with them to leave a review, but they won't let someone like me with a denied claim leave a review. So unethical!!! I'm currently talking with my attorney and deciding if I should take further action. It's is so much not about the money now, and so much more about the principal.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I had purchased travel insurance for a trip leaving Saturday the 18th of November. There was an issue earlier in the year, which I tried to cancel & the company denied me. I had a medical situation, where I had surgery Monday the 6th of November, and would be unable to travel. Since they denied me the first time, they did not even bother to check the new information. I was instructed to fill out the information as an appeal, had a doctor's note before I started the claim, sent that along with their other documentation needs. I was then told I need to provide them with a Physician's report that is asking questions, like why did the doctor say you couldn't travel, what was specifically wrong, (just way too much personal information). In addition, they gave me the impression that they were going to make the determination over my doctor whether or not I can travel.

So, I contacted the company and told them I do not feel comfortable providing all that information. I was told that I could send my admission/discharge paperwork as substitution. Mind you, I have just had a major surgery, I had to miss out on a birthday vacation since this is why I had purchased the tickets in the first place, then I have to be subjected to all this nonsense. I emailed the additional paperwork they requested and they still refuse to give me my money back. I told Jeffery today, threatened to go to the Better Business Bureau & Federal Trade Commission/Consumer Protection Agency, he basically said, "If that is what you feel you need to do, then feel free to do so." Also, I have to wait until tomorrow, today is Nov. 15th 2017, to get a call back to hopefully, have a discussion.

I feel that these people are guilty of fraud, due to the fact, if you have a medical emergency, they have so many stipulations that they can use, so that they would not have to give you back your money. Extremely fraudulent company. The interesting thing is that I had to cancel a pair of tickets to a play because my fiance could not go. I sent them a dr's note, they immediately refunded my money! None of the nonsense that I am experiencing now. I also feel that since that was not a high dollar threshold, it was not a big deal.

Do you ever wonder what do they do with all that money that is never refunded? Who does it go to? Them, the airlines, travel agencies, etc? Who pockets all this illicit money? Remember, Airlines are deregulated, so they do not have any laws to bind them by. So utterly disgusted!!! Will never again use this company. There is one out there that will allow you to cancel for any reason and get your refund without all this hassle.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I asked to get a refund for a flight to Florida that we had to cancel due to the hurricane. The service was very clear, the things were being taken care of very fast and we got information by email about every step of the process. Very convenient. Thank you very much.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

I spoke with Edvardo regarding cancellation of our trip due to the hurricane in the Caribbean and he immediately entered the claim for a full refund of airfare in full which was received in less than 10 days, nice customer service!!! Thank You!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allianz Global Assistance?

Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

I purchased travel insurance with this company through American Airlines. They have a military clause which basically means that they will not help you in the event of a homecoming/port visit date change. We all know that these dates ALWAYS change and it is out of our control. So, we do the one thing we can do, purchase travel insurance. Guess what? This company doesn't cover it and offered absolutely no help. Don't count on them insuring anything military related! I found this out the hard way, my loss, their gain. I recommend that military families purchase their insurance through somebody else!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

When taking my trip of a lifetime to South America, I bought travel insurance from Allianz to cover my trip because I knew that Medicare did not cover out of state travel. Unfortunately, I got sick and had to see a doctor in Brazil. I paid about $400 for the blood test, diagnosis and medication. I filed a claim when I was well enough when I got back. That was in June. I have not received any reimbursement and it is now 5 months later. I keep getting asked for documentation that I've already submitted several times. The last request was a statement from the doctor about my treatment. Well he's in Brazil and can't be reached. I tried via his website and the email is always rejected. So I got my regular doctor to write a letter about the treatment that I received from him a month later, after I got home. I was so sick that it took me that long to recover enough to make the trip to see him.

I submitted that to Allianz and still no response and all they do is ask for the same medical records, etc. which was already submitted several times. If that isn't the runaround, I don't know what is. I paid $562 for the insurance and another $400 for my medical treatment so I'm out a $1000! I would have been better off just paying for my medical treatment and not gotten the insurance! SENIORS BEWARE! DO NOT use Allianz when you travel!

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

We were on the Bohemian Rhapsody Tour and had made it to Budapest. The 1st morning in Budapest we went on a local guided tour. While leaving St. Matthias Church overlooking the city, I missed a step & fell breaking my hip badly. I was operated on that same evening and was very thankful that we had Allianz Travel Insurance.

Their agents were in contact with my husband almost daily and also communicated with my Doctor. Allianz made all the arrangements for our flights back to the United States when the Doctor said I was ready to be released. My medical bills were paid for completely as was my husband's hotel bill for 5 nights. We were flown back 1st class and we were also reimbursed for the part of our tour that we missed. We've been telling everyone of our experience and to be sure & buy travel insurance - from Allianz, if possible. It would have been extremely difficult w/o it.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

My husband and I had unusual situations while traveling. I had a flight delay resulting in a rescheduled flight and since I remained at my son's home, additional expenses were minimal. My entire claim was approved. My husband on the other hand, has tried repeatedly to come up with receipts that would satisfy the company but to no avail. Although I gave 4 stars for processing my claim, a review for him will result in a less generous rating. End result... I will not purchase this again.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

I was very concerned about getting back a refund from my trip cancellation. My fear was put to rest when I had the chance to explain my situation to one of the Allianz Global Assistance Representative. I believe his name was Jeff. He was very courteous and helpful. No doubt, I'll take this insurance again when the opportunity arises.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

Our trip was canceled due to conditions beyond our control. I contacted Allianz and the lady I spoke with immediately issued a claim number and set the process in motion to return our payment in full. It took a few days longer than they claimed, but our money was returned in full. Each time I talked to Allianz they were courteous and helpful. The even have an online resource which allows you to check the status of your claim directly, without making a call. We're relieved we purchased this coverage and did not lose our money.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

When my wife became ill during our Holland America cruise from Montreal to Boston, she needed to see the MD on board and get medicine. We also could not attend a prepaid excursion. We were pleased with the reimbursements for all the costs involved, including the excursion.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

Complied with request for certain documents. They were sent so there were no other requests. Refund arrived in required time frame. 100 satisfied. Well worth the expense. I think if I had opt for the direct deposit it would have been in my account quicker.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

Your customer service department was wonderful! My bank rejected my direct deposit and your staff took care of everything in less than 10 minutes. My check is on its way. Kudos!!! I would recommend your insurance to anyone. Thank you very much!!!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I took out a policy with Allianz for airline tickets to ST. Martin 11-10-17. They led me to believe after filing and submitting all information and documents that my information and claim was under review. I called this morning spoke to a supervisor James ** and he now states they do not have all the information they need after speaking to Irving last week and being told it was under review. I called Priceline and told them how bad they are and they are making Priceline look bad. They do not seem to care and it was a waste of money to get insurance. Never again. They are an awful company with only a PO Box in Richmond, VA Tel# 804-673-7592. Worst company ever. Thats why they have bad reviews. Run dont use them.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

This is the first time I've ever had to use a trip policy cancellation. An unexpected complication to my mother's surgery prevented my father and I from visiting my brother in Denver. I filled out the paperwork and the transparency that followed was unbelievable. I called twice to verify information and the customer service reps were pleasant and helpful. The email stated that a decision would be made 7-10 business days after my claim was filed... Within 3 days the claim was approved, and shortly after a check was sent. I am beyond thrilled that we purchased this insurance and the way in which my family was treated by your representatives. Thank you so much for alleviating the financial burden at a time when my father and I had more important things to worry about.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

I never expected to be injured while on the Portuguese Camino but did fall and had have medical help to stitch up the cut on my forehead. I paid the fees and remembered I had insurance so when I returned to the US, I submitted a claim and was reimbursed within a week.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

I had planned a trip for my entire family to St. John over the Christmas week and due to the hurricane, our rental home was destroyed. Luckily I had purchased flight insurance. American Airlines did not refund our money (Delta did), so I put in a claim. The online claim process was a bit confusing, and I got several emails asking for more information, so I phoned customer service. The rep was very nice and helpful and said I didn't need to submit any more information and the claim would be processed.

The airline tickets were made in my adult children's names (different from mine), so unfortunately 2 of the checks never made it to my home. I called Allianz again and the rep was again very helpful and courteous. The checks will be mailed again. Given the number of claims I'm sure have been processed, I was very impressed with the customer service. The only thing that might be improved upon is the email communication, as to additional documentation needed.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

Most of the positive reviews never even had to USE the service. This insurance is USELESS. My airline (airberlin) cancelled all flights due bankruptcy causing my return trip home to be delayed by days. I called Allianz they assured me I had trip insurance of up to $1100. After filing my claim i got a check for a measly $150.00. When I called the rep was rude and stated that the max I could be reimbursed was $150 because it was not a "trip interruption" it was a "trip delay". I would NEVER recommend anyone using their service.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

Medical cancellation - They were very helpful on the phone with very short waits. A very positive, efficient and professional experience. I would recommend the company. My initial confusion with the website was quickly helped with phone assistance.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

We had 2 weeks of travel to Porto Rico protected by 2 policies, that we had put in place when made the travel plans back in May 2017. When we saw and heard back from the resorts in Porto Rico of the destruction of the storms, we knew our vacation was cancelled. So we contacted Allianz and easily filed claims for our policies. After we provided the proof of our expenses and costs for the trip, within a few weeks both of our claims were honored and we are now able to pay for our next vacation next year.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I thought your response to my situation was fast and very fair. I was very pleased that you understood my situation and were very professional. I would recommend your service to anyone I knew that was about to travel. It is a safe way to protect yourself and family if you are planning a trip or vacation.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

Twice our trips were cancelled. Once due to a fire that destroyed the place we were going to stay & the 2nd time due to the destruction of a hurricane. Both times we filed claims and were quickly reimbursed. Well worth the money.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

Need to file a claim. You did great! Very responsive. Check came in a timely manner. I was very pleased. I was a little suspect at first. Your employees were all very responsive, friendly and helpful. I will continue to buy your product. Thank You very much!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

We had planned to travel the Caribbean for a 40th bday but unfortunately the weather during hurricane season made this impossible. Allianz quickly and easily refunded our money. First time using insurance, would definitely use it again. Really appreciated their help.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

Your website was quite easy to navigate, for reimbursement of our travel insurance costs. It took almost 30 days for claim to be completed, but that may be due to more claims than usual due to Hurricane Irma (as ours was). I received my reimbursement, in my account on 10/17/17, however, my brother & sister in law (Wayne & Rebecca **), who were traveling with us, still have not received their money & are quite frustrated.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I had to cancel my conference trip due to a fall. My claim was handled quickly. I am very pleased with the service you have provided. I would recommend your insurance to all my friends and business. Thank you for being quick!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I was in an accident days prior to my scheduled travel and was unable to travel. I had no formal written physician's report, just the records from the ER. They accepted those records, no questions asked and my refund was promptly sent. Highly recommend.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

Thanks again for taking care of our cancellation for our trip to the devastation of Puerto Rico. We want to see it in its Glory not the way it is right now. Thanks for taking care of my friends as well.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

First time I have used trip insurance, good thing! Irma ruined vacation plans, however, Allianz took the sting out of it. Filing a claim was very easy. Always knew status by viewing online. All taken care of in a few weeks, just followed clear directions. Will use again for sure. A very good experience.

Allianz Global Assistance Company Information