2. Travel
  3. Travel Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.29/5
Based on 1,473 ratings submitted in the last year

Allianz Global Assistance is one of the largest travel insurance companies and offers proven trip protection for vacations across the world. Allianz travel insurance helps cover the cost of delays, medical expenses and even cancellations. Plus, coverage also includes free access to assistance services like interpreters.

Top Allianz Global Assistance Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allianz Global Assistance?

I truly appreciate you taking the time to talk to me and your heartfelt concerns dealing with my situation. This is what it supposed to feel like on the other line. Real human, real care and real support. I have always used Allianz… I feel completely safe and comfortable with my choices and I know o

I submitted a request to received a refund for plane tickets to San Diego California in July 20. I'm in the military and I was unable to travel. It was a smooth process. I would like the thank everyone involved. Thank you so much. I really appreciate it!

BOTTOM LINE

Allianz is an affordable travel insurance company with worldwide coverage. While Allianz doesn’t offer customizable or flexible coverage, its various coverage levels ensure most everyone will find a package for them.

PROS

• Affordable price
  • Straightforward coverage
  • Multiple coverage levels
  • Worldwide assistance

CONS

• Can only cancel for specific reasons
  • Coverage not always flexible

How does Allianz travel insurance work?

Allianz trip insurance policies come in three tiers: Basic, Prime and Premier. Basic includes trip cancellation and interruption benefits as well as some medical and baggage coverage. Prime offers somewhat expanded Basic benefits and free coverage of children under 17. Premier protection comes with all the Prime benefits as well as expanded post-departure benefits, including bag delay, change fees, concierge services and more. It also includes more reasons for cancellation.

Allianz can help you personalize coverage to mitigate risks that might occur based on the type of trip you’re taking. For example, you can choose to add rental car protection or medical insurance for an additional price. Customers who travel a lot can buy multi-trip or annual policies.

Using the Allianz app

With the free Allianz TravelSmart app, you get instant access to their coverage benefits anywhere in the world, which lets you file claims easily and stay a step ahead during travel. In an emergency, the app can help you locate a screened and approved medical facility immediately.

Allianz travel insurance cost

Allianz travel insurance plans start at just $23 per trip. The cost of travel insurance varies based on the travel destination, length of a vacation, what type of coverage is needed, the cost of the vacation, the age of the traveler and a few other factors.

For reference, we requested a quote for a five-day trip to Mexico and received a quote for $139 for Premier coverage, $84 for Prime and $62 for Basic. Because the company is so large, it can offer low prices while also guaranteeing payouts.

Keep in mind that cancellation insurance only covers unexpected events, not foreseeable ones. Talk to a company representative if you have any questions about what is covered by your policy.

Allianz Global Assistance FAQ

What is a covered reason for trip cancellation with Allianz?
Covered reasons include unexpected natural disasters, divorce, severe injury, death and other events.
Does Allianz travel insurance cover flight changes?
Yes, for covered reasons. Each policy will outline what reasons are covered.
Who owns Allianz?
Allianz Global Assistance is owned by Allianz SE in Munich, Germany.
How many countries does Allianz operate in?
Allianz travel insurance operates in more than 70 countries across the world.
How do I submit a claim to Allianz?
Travelers can either file a claim on the company’s website or with the Allianz TravelSmart app.

Is Allianz Global Assistance worth it?

Allianz Global Assistance is one of the largest travel insurance companies and offers the financial protection needed to travel confidently. The company provides a variety of options and tiers of coverage, so most travelers can find the right kind of travel insurance for their needs and budget. While some competitors do offer more flexibility and customization in their travel insurance, like adventure coverage or cancellations for any reason, Allianz’s low prices make the company a good choice for most travelers.

Allianz Global Assistance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allianz Global Assistance?

Original review: June 13, 2020

My husband and I had to cancel a trip from Boston to Arizona booked on American Airlines, April 2, 2020 to April 5, 2020. Weeks before the trip, our physician advised us not to fly, especially my husband who is diabetic and has serious asthma. He gave us letters to that effect. We had purchased flight insurance from Allianz so first we tried calling- that was hours and we were told we would receive a call-back but we never did. Then I tried to file a claim online but the claim would not transmit due to "unexpected technical error". We tried to fax a claim but the fax number kept coming back "busy/no response". Finally, I wrote a letter (I wrote 2 in the end) and made copies of our doctor's letters, our flight information, our Allianz contract- everything- and mailed it to Richmond, Va. We did receive an e-mail acknowledging receipt of our letter and finally, another e-mail saying that we would receive a refund check.

We are very grateful to Allianz for the refund and recognize that during Covid, there must have been many claims and calls, but it was a very long process to receive a refund and had I not been so persistent, no refund would ever have been sent. We have always, and will always purchase trip and flight insurance. We never used it before and hope we won't need to in the future, but the process needs to be a bit easier. Thanks you, though, for our refund. We hope you all stay well.

Original review: March 25, 2020

We are very pleased with the timing of the dispensing of the check mailed to us after filing our claim. This was done in a very short turn around time. What was very frustrating was the initial online process for filing the claim as the web site for doing so was somewhat confusing and required connecting with a rep to lead us through the process. The required documents that were scanned in by us took initially; however, when we retrieved the form the doctor's excuse was not with the copy of the trip itinerary. Eventually, after several tries, we were able to scan in the required doctor's excuse. After working with the rep, Orlando, who was extremely helpful, although it was a little difficult to understand him because of his Spanish accent, was a Godsend. Without his assistance we could have never managed the confusing web site.

We followed up this phone call with two additional phone calls to two different reps who could not validate that the copies of the required documents had arrived and were acceptable. The last rep that I talked with said that there would be a return phone call in regard to this; however, it was never received. The end result with the full payment of the air fare was received in a very timely manner. This is the only time that we have ever purchased travel insurance and the only time that we needed it. In the future we will definitely do this.

Get buying tips about Travel Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.
    Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

I booked two Jet Blue Flights; both from FL to MA. I insured both with Global Allianz as I knew there was a possibility I would have to stay in MA for medical reason and thus not return to FL and not use the last leg of the first flight and not use the second flight at all. I found out I needed surgery and had a doctor's note. Global Allianz was responsive by telephone to explain the claims process to me. When I filled out the information online there was some problem with Global Allianz consolidating claims for both flights; it was confusing to them. I spoke with very well informed and extremely helpful customer service agents who were able to consolidate the claims.

The claim for the first flight had already been paid. They had to go back into their system, attach the two claims electronically, review both and send a second check for the loss of the second flight. They told me how much time this would take. They offered a way to review their process online as they were processing the claim. They were exceptionally responsive, always seeking to better understand my concerns, and ultimately solved the problem promptly. I received payment within a week following my calls. I highly recommend their insurance when it comes to medical issues (the only issue I can speak to). They are professional, responsive and very easy to work with.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

I purchased travel insurance on June 18, 2019, for a scheduled round trip on JetBlue. I was booked to leave San Jose, CA on Monday, September 16th (arriving JFK on 9/17) and to return to San Jose, CA from JFK on Wednesday, October 2, 2019. On July 4, 2019, I awoke with severe pain in my left foot. As I suffer from osteoporosis, I initially thought that I had broken a bone in that foot. My PCP was able to get me an emergency appointment with a podiatrist, who believed I was suffering from Gout and treated me accordingly. Within the next two weeks, the pain had spread to my right foot and was beginning to extend up my legs. I subsequently had both an MRI (revealing a fractured disk), as well as a Nerve Conduction and Electromyography study (which revealed chronic and severe nerve damage emanating from S1/S2). I have been essentially bed-bound from July through the current date.

When I finally determined that there was no way that I could fly the 5+ hours to NY without significant pain, I contacted JetBlue to cancel my flight. They refunded my base fee, net of a $100 penalty, to a Jet Blue Travel Account. At that time, they also indicated that I would be reimbursed (to my form of payment) for the amount I had paid for my “Even More Space” seats. When I initially filed my claim with Allianz, I included both the $100 penalty, as well as the “Even More Space” fees, as the credit had not appeared on my card. I also uploaded my PCP’s monthly appointment notes, as well as the results of the MRI and the Nerve Conduction/Electromyography study.

Within 15 days, I received an Allianz check for the entire amount reported. As Jet Blue had subsequently posted credits to my credit card for the “even more space” seats, I contacted Allianz to ask how I should return the amount paid me for those fees. It was a pleasure to deal with the Allianz agent. He was very courteous and pleasant. I subsequently cashed the Allianz check and returned the excess to the Recovery Department. The entire process was very simple and straightforward, requiring very little time or effort from me. I would definitely recommend Allianz to anyone who flies and wants to protect their “investment” in airfare.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2019

I rented a car through Hotwire in late February to travel to Maine from NYC. They offer the Collision/Damage Coverage from Allianz in the website, so I decided to take it instead of paying the extra fee of CDW (Collision/Damage Waiver) offered by the rental company. That weekend, we had a winter storm and the roads were covered with snow/ice. When driving back to the city, in the highway, I hit a block of ice (5" H x 5" W). I inspected the vehicle, checking for any damages, but there were none (visible, at least). Half an hour later, the car stalled out. We called the rental company, who tow the car to the closest rental office. We changed vehicles and kept driving back to the city.

5 months later, I received an invoice from the rental company, charging me $12,000 USD for the damages caused to the vehicle. It turned out that the block of ice broke the lower core of the engine and they were charging me total loss and replacement, and they were charging me because I didn't accepted the CDW offer by the rental company (mandatory to be covered by Allianz). I called immediately to file the claim - it was very easy and user-friendly through their website. I submitted all the paperwork requested online, and they negotiated internally with the car rental company. The situation took around 6 weeks to be resolved, but at the end, Allianz covered all the damages without any premium or affecting my personal insurance record. And, even though it took longer than expected, every time I called to Customer Service, the people were very transparent and gave all the information available in regards the claim.

I'm totally satisfied with the service, and I find it very useful - but only for longer trips or rentals longer than a week. If you're planning to rent a car for a week or less, just pay the extra fee for the CDW offered by the rental company; the price difference won't be significant and you won't have to worry, no matter what happens to the car, when you drop the keys in the counter when returning it. However, if your planning to rent a car for longer than a week, then it might be worth it because you could be saving some money; although, be ready to deal any claims from the rental car company if an accident happens. Just make sure to have all the paperwork available if something happens.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

I travel a lot and got tired of the previous company not paying on time. I was shocked when I got a check in the bank account within 2 days of turning my paperwork in. They were specific about what they needed. Don’t hesitate. Will use them again.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2020

I bought a plan, I filed a claim due to a tooth infection while on vacation, which I had extracted, and I received reimbursement within the week. I fully plan on using Allianz for my next vacay as well and highly recommend it. 5/5, A+, 100%, you rock.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2020

Within a few days of submitting information, I received my check. After numerous attempts, I am still waiting for my check from Travel Guard for the return flight.

It was so easy to use Allianz that I would use as criteria in picking an airline, which insurance company the airlines is affiliated with.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2020

My trip to Cancun in August was cancelled due to COVID 19. I am a high school teacher, and I cannot leave anywhere due to my work from September to June. The offer I received from Interjet was an extension to complete the travel before Oct 06 2020. Sun Palace did not offer anything officially. I asked for an extension to August 2021 so that I can use it. I was declined by both Interjet and Sun Palace.

I explained this clearly to Allianz Global Insurance. Then they declined to reimburse me any amount, not even for the resort despite they did not offer me anything stating that I was offered credit from Interjet and Sun Palace. I attached an email stating that as a proof. Also I explained clearly why the offer from Interjet is useless, and they seemed they understood, but then declined. It seems Allianz Global Insurance only does not care a claimant's situation. Their decision was very inconsiderate and/or unreasonable. Very disappointed since I thought this company cares about people.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2020

I was diagnosed with covid-19 and Allianz helped me get a refund in a quick and timely manner. The process was easy and I appreciate their help in a tough time. The online directions were clear and simple and easy to follow. I recommend this company and look forward to using them again in the future.

Allianz Global Assistance Company Information