It's that easy Request Information
4.29/5
Based on 1,280 ratings submitted in the last year

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

For more than 100 years, Allianz has been providing security and assurance to people around the world. Whether you’ve lost luggage on a trip, your roof was damaged in a storm, you lost your job or would like to retire, Allianz has your back.

Allianz Global Assistance Gallery (4)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

4914 Allianz Global Assistance Consumer Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

We are very pleased with Allianz travel insurance and their customer service. Although previously having never submitted any travel related claim, we routinely have purchased insurance for emergency health expenses that might occur, particularly for foreign travel. Two months after returning we filed a claim for a travel delay while on a long personal trip to Portugal and Spain. We had received a text message from American Airlines at 2 am stating that our return trip that morning was canceled and we had been automatically rebooked for two days later. There was no explanation and no other cancelations were reported by AA during that period. We were left to fend for ourselves. The airlines was not helpful in assisting us to rebook an earlier return with other carriers and later refused our reimbursement request for minimal lodging and food due to their delay.

On the other hand it was a pleasant experience to see how Allianz provided helpful information on our claim submission, efficient processing, and prompt reimbursement. In the future our main purpose for travel insurance will continue to be as mitigation for unexpected accident or health related expenses. Allianz's recent handling of this non-health related claim gives us additional confidence that we have chosen the best insurance company to cover our travel.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 15, 2019

Allianz Global was extremely easy to work with when it came to making a claim on a cancelled trip to CO. Since I have had a few episodes of vertigo which comes for no apparent reason, I decided to purchase travel insurance. Sure enough a couple days before the trip I woke up with vertigo which is very debilitating. I went to the ear institute to receive a treatment for the vertigo. I asked the doctor to write a letter in case it didn't improve enough in the next couple days, since there was no way I could fly in this condition.

After cancelling the trip I called Allianz Global and spoke to a rep that was very pleasant. He helped me to make a claim and sent a form via email. After filling in the information and sending it with the doctors letter, I received an update on the status of my claim. I just received a check in the full amount of my plane ticket and am very happy I made the wise decision to purchase travel insurance.It makes more sense to lose the $20 on insurance than to risk losing $379.on plane fare, I plan to do this for every future trip just to give me peace of mind. Thank you Allianz!

Original review: July 14, 2019

My buying travel insurance at the last minute was the best thing I ever did last month. My sister had planned a sibling weekend with my brothers in Jackson, MS - and because I am the one that lives the furtherest away, I needed to book a flight. One of my brothers had had a heart attack in January and had surgery, but was still feeling poorly six months later. In fact, he was feeling so poorly, he had to tell us as the weekend got closer, that he just wasn't up for a visit at all. He was too ill. This left me with a $400.00 non-refundable airplane ticket.

However, in my correspondence with Allianz - both via email and on the phone - I just needed to provide them a few documents and they said they could provide a refund or I could put in a claim for the $200.00 change fee when I booked another flight in the future. I was not optimistic because I thought they would find some reason not to do as they had promised - but I was wrong! Once I provided what I could provide them as far as documentation, I had a check in the mail in no time. The people I spoke to on the phone were very informative and courteous - everytime I called them! Thank you Allianz! Things happen unexpectantly and changes need to be made - thanks for understanding this and providing quality service! C.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

My daughter flew to MN to escape the smoke and fires in Washington. I was going to go to WA to celebrate my 70th birthday with my daughter, 14 month granddaughter, her husband; my son, 18 month granddaughter and his wife. I had rented a house on Lake Chelan for three days for this celebration. Because of the smoke, my son and his family went to Hawaii and my daughter and her daughter came to MN on August 13. We would fly to WA together on August 24 for my birthday on August 28.

However, the smoke continued at a hazardous level of over 400 parts per million. There was a level 3 evacuation. We had no choice but to cancel the house and the flights. I had purchased insurance simply because my husband had been recently diagnosed with bladder cancer. He had two surgeries and was in a six week treatment. A lot going on for sure. Alaska canceled each of our flights for $125 each.

My daughter did not have insurance. We had purchased her ticket with miles. My circumstances did not fall under the usual reasons to cancel a flight, but I wrote a similar letter as I have written here. Allianz sent me a check for $125. I have a credit with Alaska to use within a year. All worked out. My daughter and granddaughter stayed safely with me here for five weeks. Thank you for responding and making it easy for the refund. I love Alaska Airlines and now will purchase insurance with Allianz because you never know what might happen.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I purchased tickets through Ticketmaster and it gave me the option to purchase ticket insurance. I went ahead and made the additional purchase because the concert was going to be in Nashville (6 hours from me) and a couple of months in the future. A week before we were to leave, my father got sick and had to be admitted to the hospital. I wasn't going to be able to attend because this was going to be a family trip and he couldn't travel and he was close to dying so we needed to be close at hand until his health was better. I was concerned about losing almost $150 on tickets but couldn't see a way to make the concert. I went online and tried to file a claim with Allianz, but received an error message when I tried to complete the application. I then tried on my home computer and it also didn't work.

I contacted Allianz customer service and the lady emailed me the claim forms. By this time, I was more concerned because the concert was in a few days and I wasn't sure if it was too late. I filled out the forms and scanned and emailed them in. Another concern I had was the only real proof that I had concerning his hospital stay was the top copy of his hospital discharge papers which described his problems and it had his doctor's phone numbers and it was just a JPEG picture that I took. The weekend went by after I sent everything in and I hadn't heard from Allianz (I was expecting the worse and at least a response that I required further proof). Then a few more days went by and then I received a check in the mail for the full amount on my tickets.

When dealing with insurance issues such as this (I recently used insurance on an online purchase on an item that didn't work as expected and I received the "run around") I expected the worse. I was more so apprehensive when I hadn't heard from Allianz for a few days but I was more than pleasantly surprised at how easy this process was (albeit except the online claim process). I plan to use Allianz again for all my ticket purchases in the future. I didn't rate "5 stars" simply because the online claim didn't work and it didn't indicate there was a problem. This part needs to be reviewed and fixed as required.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allianz Global Assistance?

Original review: Aug. 18, 2019

I am more disappointed with myself for not understanding the health rules you put forth than with you. My husband had a heart attack, a stent installed and a stroke over a two week period yet was able to get clearance to go to Hawaii by his cardiologist before I bought the ticket. He’s 80 and I wanted to make sure he saw Hawaii while he could still enjoy it. Unfortunately, within a couple weeks of the trip he had another more significant stroke which required extensive rehab which he is still involved with. No good deed goes unpunished. I am angry with myself for clearly not understanding the contract and yet I don’t blame you for the lost $2200, it was my fault. It didn’t even enter my mind that there would be a problem with the insurance! I’m stunned that I gave Hawaiian Airlines $2200 and received nothing in return!! If we ever get to fly again I’ll pay more for refundable tickets and not buy travel insurance.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2019

We don't travel much and now that we are older we understand you never know what life will throw at you. We bought travel insurance from Allianz recommended by our AAA travel agent. Best decision we made in a long time. We had a family emergency the week prior to our trip that required us to be here and the customer service at Allianz explained everything and was sympathetic to our issues. We submitted our paperwork within 3 days of our call and 10 days later they deposited our full travel cost back to our account. I would never dream we would have needed it but thankful for them and we will use them when we decided to ever travel again! We thank you!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

Thank you to Allianz Customer Service Team!! They responded promptly and issued me the check for rebooking within 10 days of submitting my claim for rebooking my return flight, due to my sons military orders being extended. Very professional and courteous and followed up with communication promptly.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

I had to change my plans for surgery in DR unfortunately due to the new rules and regulations as well as turn of events in DR. I filled out the hassle-free paper online and I was refunded in less than 7 days. Quickest and smoothest transaction ever. I will always purchase insurance from Allianz going forward.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

Initially I was a little skeptical about getting travel insurance, but in the past we have lost money on an Airbnb and doctor visit with no insurance. On a trip to UK this past July we were taking no chances and bought a basic policy. Well, lo and behold if I didn't get a case of bronchitis three days after arriving! And had to see a doctor in order to confirm diagnosis and get something stronger more than over the counter cough syrup. Upon our return I submitted a claim for doc and meds and in less than 10 days got a check from Allianz for full amount. Granted, it was only around $90 and insurance policy was a little over $200, but took the sting out of the situation because Allianz really did pay promptly. I will use them again in the future!

Allianz Global Assistance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Allianz Global Assistance has a long history in the industry. They were the insurer on the Wright brothers' flight and on the construction of the Golden Gate Bridge.

• Instant online quoting: Plan a trip and get travel insurance, all in just a few minutes.

• Annual coverage available: Frequent travelers often find annual coverage more affordable.

• Tiered-coverage options: Get as much or as little coverage as you need with four different product tiers on single-trip service.

• See state options: Individual states have different regulations regarding travel insurance, so see what is available in your state, within moments.

• Kids ride free: Children under 17 are automatically included in the price with the Classic Plan or Classic Plan Trip+ tiers.

• Best for: Party animals, workaholics, adventurers and family trippers.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky