Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Allianz Global Assistance

Jose, Thank you for the kind words. I'm glad we were able to help and made the process easy for you. Sincerely, Sarah, HelpTeam

Original review: Jan. 11, 2017

I'm retired and lived partially in Medellin Colombia and Florida. I travel between countries often and also the Caribbean. I always purchase travel insurance but this is the first time ever I have to file a claim. The process was smooth and easy, from the time I call to notify of my trip cancellation because of medical reasons and the filing online of my claim to the time I received a check it was around two weeks. Excellent service. I will never travel without insurance. I recommended to all people traveling.

Allianz Global Assistance

Dear Patricia, I'm very sorry that your mother-in-law was ill and unable to visit, but am glad we were able to help and got her money back. Sincerely, Sarah, HelpTeam

Original review: Jan. 10, 2017

My family was very pleased with this insurance service. We purchased the airline ticket for my 92 year old mother in law who flies out to visit the children, grandchildren and great grandchildren every year. Sadly, she got pneumonia 5 days before travel and with your help, we not only canceled the flight but got her money back. Thank you very much.

I used the medical insurance. I was authorized to have a travel companion by your medical care team. I chose my own companion. He lives in Portugal where my kneecap was broken. He knows how to move me safely. You paid for his ticket to come to the USA with me but you refused to pay his ticket back to Portugal. But you would have had to pay your person that you approved to fly back to where they were from. Could you please tell me the reasoning behind refusing to pay my friend's ticket back to Portugal? Also I needed to go to the hospital emergency room at home. We drove past the hospital coming home to my house. But we had to get in another car and immediately drive another hour back to the hospital that was where my doctor would have had me go.

Your driver was not allowed to take me to the ER and leave me. This created more suffering for my broken knee as the cast put on in Portugal was beginning to slide off my leg. My travel companion could have easily gotten a ride back to where I live. I was immediately admitted to the hospital when I got there. What was the reason behind the driver not being allowed to take me to the hospital? I greatly appreciated the service you did provide. I just have these questions if you would be so kind as to answer them. Thank you.

I purchased insurance from Allianz Global Assistance when booking my rental car for Eastern Europe. The price was minimal for what it claimed to cover in the event of an incident. As it turned out, I was scalped by the local eastern European sharks at the off-brand "agency" when returning my car but my claim was processed quickly with reimbursement arriving just a week later. I would most certainly purchase this insurance again and highly recommend everyone take it out every time they book a rental car.

I purchased Allianz Global Assistance while traveling with United Airlines over the holidays, and because I live in North Dakota and the winters can be horrible, insurance while flying is always a good idea. My initial flight from BIS to PDX (and all United departures from BIS on Dec 17) was cancelled and because of the number of people who had also gotten their flight cancelled that day, the airport could not reschedule me to leave for another 48 hours. I got a ticket stub from the airport with my new flight information. This is more than 24 hours, as stated would be covered under insurance. I had to personally reschedule and pay for another flight with another airline to get to my destination that same day.

When filing my claim, I provided any and all required documents listed on the website that I had from both airlines and the airport rescheduling my trip. It was supposed to take 7-10 days to receive an answer by mail, which never came. When I called for an explanation, I found that my claim was denied. The reasoning was that I could not provide proof that the airport couldn't reschedule me any sooner than 48 hours. However, when I asked a customer service rep how to provide that sort of document for an appeal, he stated "I'm not sure if a document like that even exists."

I am still unsure how am I expected to provide a document that may or may not exist in order to get my claim approved? I've tried to call again on multiple occasions to speak to someone else about this topic, and to no avail. I purchase insurance on nearly every trip I take, due to these circumstances happening quite often. From now on, I, nor will my family, purchase Allianz Global Assistance as my travel insurance again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allianz Global Assistance?

We bought your insurance when we planned a trip to Phoenix from Seattle in December. The day before we were scheduled to leave I got sick and, not knowing if I had a bug or if it was something I ate, didn't feel it was a good idea to continue the trip so I cancelled. Alaska charged me a cancellation fee of 125 per ticket. I filed a claim, obtained the necessary forms from you and submitted. Your response was terrific and very timely. I couldn't ask for better action on your part. I will never hesitate to recommend your firm to all of our friends and family. Thank you.

Hello Sheila,

I am sorry to hear of your frustrations. Please email me at Help.Team@allianzassistance.com to discuss further.

Help Team

Original review: Jan. 13, 2017

Purchased travel insurance for a 12 night Princess European cruise. Arrived in Barcelona Spain Oct 14th with a Oct 16th scheduled departure. The evening of Oct 14th received email from Princess cruise that the ship was damaged so they were canceling our 12 night cruise. We arrived in Barcelona that afternoon a day and a half early in case of flight delays - didn't take want to miss our cruise. With such disappointment our only reassurance was we purchased travel insurance from Allianz. After we arrived home I gathered all pertinent documents. Now I'm told from Allianz they will NOT cover any expenses we incurred. Don't waste your money on this insurance. What is travel insurance if they don't cover a cancellation.... DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY.

Allianz travel insurance was easy to apply for as part of the initial travel plans to Hawaii. Unfortunate medical event caused us to be unable to go. Allianz easy instructions and website process enabled the claim process to go smoothly, efficiently and with timely response and payment.

Hello Dan,

I am so sorry for your experience. Please email me at Help.Team@allianzassistance.com and I will see if I can help.

Help Team

Original review: Jan. 12, 2017

I bought a policy with Allianz at the same time I bought my plane ticket through Delta Airlines. I ended up having to cancel the trip because my visa application was rejected by the U.S. State Department as I was going on the trip to teach at a university through the Fulbright Program and required a special work visa. I submitted all the documentation, including receipts for my $300 in cancellation fees and a letter from the State Department verifying why my trip had to be cancelled. Never heard back from Allianz. Finally, after three weeks, I checked the Allianz website and saw that my claim was denied. I called Allianz twice and each time got someone in the Claims Dept who was curt and unhelpful and unable to coherently articulate why my claim had been denied.

I asked to speak to a supervisor, but was denied that request by a customer service agent named Shavon. All she could say - in a rather harsh tone - was that I needed to read my policy. I teach travel writing and travelogue courses at the university level and am often asked by students about the need for travel insurance. I think it makes sense in certain situations. However, I am going to add a caveat that anyone buying travel insurance should avoid Allianz like the plague. Very disappointing experience!

I purchased event protection when purchasing a ticket for a concert in Seattle, WA. The day of the event my vehicle broke down, as it would not even start. I filed my claim per the contract, which indicated that it needed to be filed before the event started. That was on December 31st. Now on the 11th of January I get an email specifying that I need some type of supporting documentation. I do not have the money to get my car fixed yet. I'm hoping it is only the starter, but I can't buy parts since I have other bills.

When asked what kind of documentation I could possibly provide, Hannah the customer service rep, made statements that lead me to believe they would be okay with me providing some type of backdated document from a repair shop, possibly indicating that I took my vehicle somewhere on the 31st of January. I couldn't drive to venue, so I couldn't drive to a mechanics shop. When I asked her about that being fraud, they of course revert back to the same bs, "I'm not suggesting that at all." I'm not sure, but there has to be way better event insurance companies out there. THIS ONE ABSOLUTELY SUCKS IN ALL AREAS. I just want my money back, and when I then get my vehicle fixed... I'll send you a copy of the receipt.

Your office had been 100% great in every part of the process. Thank you so much. Keep up the outstanding work. I would recommend your service to all I know. Your was very accurate. Most fail to see the value in airline insurance til something goes wrong, and then it's too late.

I was walking in rural Spain when I fell and broke my leg. I was taken by ambulance to hospital where I underwent surgery. Allianz called me every day I was in the hospital. Of course I couldn't continue with the trip but went home as soon as discharged from hospital. The doctor instructed me to keep my foot raised above the level of the knee at all times for several weeks. Allianz promptly paid all my medical bills in Spain. They did the legwork to change the dates and departure city of my return trip and to upgrade my ticket from economy class to business class. They paid for the upgraded ticket. They also arranged for a private car to pick me up from the hospital at 3:30 a.m. and drive me 80 miles to the nearest airport. I never paid a penny for anything. I am very pleased with the service.

I was very happy with the ease and quick refund when I was unable to travel due to a family emergency. I highly recommend getting the travel insurance! It was a life saver and made a very difficult time easier, with not losing any money when emergencies come up.

My family had a medical emergency a few days before I was to fly and I was unable to use the trip as it was booked. I contacted Allianz, was advised to fill out form and have documentation sent to them. Within two weeks of submitting the form and documentation - I received a check! Very happy and will be using it again and will recommend for sure.

Very easy and definitely worth the small investment. I wasn't sure what form to submit, so I called, and the person explained what I needed to do. Within a month, we had our refund. I would recommend this to anyone who is traveling and is unsure of their plans.

Dear Linda,

I'm very sorry to hear about your experience and will share it with Customer Service. Sincerely, Sarah, HelpTeam

Original review: Jan. 8, 2017

I purchased insurance with Allianz for an Amtrak roundtrip from Richmond to Philadelphia. My credit card was immediately charged. I was unable to make the trip. I called Allianz and after at least 6-8 phone calls I was told that Allianz never entered my information into the computer and therefore they could not reimburse me for the cost of my trip!! (I still have copies of the email sent to me from Allianz). I continued to pursue getting my claim paid, and finally I physically went to the Allianz offices here in Richmond, VA. The first visit was most unsatisfactory. The man who came down to the lobby to meet me was not helpful at all and he could barely understand the problem.

So I went back again the next day, and this time a woman came down. She also said that Allianz had never entered my information into the computer. But she promised to send me a check the following week which she did for $115. On JANUARY 5th I got an email issuing me a Policy Number for the policy that I paid for in October!! I found this entire experiences time consuming, and frustrating dealing with incompetent employees!

Great customer service! The customer representative was able to walk us through the claims process and get us refunded very quickly. If we hadn't purchased this insurance, we would have lost $1040.00 dollars to the airline. I highly recommend purchasing this policy if you are spending that kind of money on an airline ticket because you never know when something could happen in your life that will change your plans.

Alaska is the only airline flying to EAT. There are 3 flights a day and the folks working EAT multi-task. I understand the concept of small town but it's my experience that these 3 flights going to EAT are never flexible; hence if you arrive in SEA late, you miss your flight... not only has this been my experience but baggage claim issues when flights are late. Hence Allianz is my 1st choice when booking a flight to EAT... as long as you keep your documentation Allianz has always been easy online to file and I am reimbursed in a timely manner. Thank you Allianz.

I was extremely impressed with Allianz from start to finish in reporting my claim to obtain information, receiving the proper information and reimbursement for my expenses associated with my in-hospital care aboard the Norwegian Dawn. This is a very impressive company.

It was a very uncomplicated and simple process. I was very pleased with the claim online application and the smoothness in which my claim was handled. Even though it was the holiday season, my claim was handled timely and my refund was received within the time frame specified on my claim acknowledgement.

Our flight was canceled during a inter storm and also our luggage did not arrive at our destination. The insurance paid for our hotel and few days of clothing and it was very easy process. I recommend it to anyone.

I would highly recommend Allianz Ins. The representatives are very professional and friendly. They made it so easy to submit a claim and upload any documentation needed. I was kept in the loop from the beginning of the claim to when reimbursement was completed. Informed I was going to receive my check and less than a week I received my check.

Was very impressed with the promptness of handling a claim we had due to an illness while on an Alaskan cruise. Upon submitting the claim it was less than two weeks and we received a check for our out of pocket expenses.

I forgot that I purchased the trip insurance for my airfare on a business trip to Chicago. Before the trip my employer terminated my employment. Several weeks later cleaning out the file I saw the Allianz receipt. I contacted them as recommended, sent the paperwork they asked for and within 4 business days I had an e-mail telling me my claim would be paid and check arrived within 10 days later. Very Pleased and will always purchase going forward.

My flights were delayed several times and in the end I was 3 hours late and missed the last shuttle bus to get to Lafayette. I had to overnight in Indianapolis. I filed a claim with Allianz for the cost of the hotel and about a week later I had a check for the full amount. The online filing is really easy. I never travel without an Allianz travel insurance.

Hello Jessica,

Please email me at Help.Team@allianzassistance.com so I can understand the details of your case.

Help Team

Original review: Jan. 4, 2017

I purchased insurance to cover my airline ticket just in case because I am pregnant. While pregnant I developed extreme anxiety and no longer felt comfortable to fly due to the anxiety and cramping I have associated with the anxiety. I submitted my doctor’s note stating the anxiety and discomfort I was having. I waited for the online status to update whether or not it would be validated with my doctor’s note. It said status under review well past the 10 business days. It states it would be resolved or denied. I resubmitted a customer service claim stating that I still haven't received an online update and that it still stated under review. The day came for my flight and it was still under review. I checked the status 1 week after my flight and it updated to denied. I called customer service stating that I would have made other arrangements if I would have known on time if my claim was to be denied.

I then told the customer service agent that the online status was never updated and that they went past their allotted time and therefore I felt I deserved a refund of the 2 tickets. He then went on to tell me that I WAS LYING. Yes- he told me that I was just making up the status not updating in their system! I have never been treated so rudely as he was to me. He said my status updated on Dec 16th which it wasn't online which is why I submitted a customer service inquiry on the status on Dec 21st. He said that was "a personnel decision to submit the inquiry" because I was lying about the online status update. How dare he say I was lying- why in the world would I submit a customer service inquiry asking for my status if was supposedly already denied? I have never been treated so poorly as this company's representative treated me.

Hello Anne-Kristine,

Please email me at Help.Team@allianzassistance.com and I will see what is going on.

Help Team

Original review: Jan. 2, 2017

They collect you money and then there is ZERO service. I cannot even print out the card because it crosses over other printing. Every other document I printed out for the vacation printed perfectly fine. On top of that, WE have to print out the 17 pages of the "contract" and even that does not work. I am so angry as it's all on purpose. I took to TWITTER and yelled at them there so maybe they need public humiliation to respond. It is outrageous how terrible these companies are and that there is no recourse or any CUSTOMER SERVICE! I have not even left for the trip and I wish I could just cancel it.

Hello Brian,

Please email me at Help.Team@allianzassistance.com with your claim number and information, and I will see what we can do.

Help Team

Original review: Dec. 30, 2016

I'm the EVP of a company. 2 days before our travel plans, the health insurance company accidentally canceled 1/3 of our employees. We had to cancel our plans and stay behind to handle the issue. I was 100% honest with Allianz as to the reason why. We were denied our claim. When I tried to speak with someone, I was told someone would call me back. No one called me back. I had to call Allianz again. I was then put on hold for 15 minutes until a supervisor told me we were denied and there was no other recourse. So, we're out $1,700, and I feel like we're out $1,700 for being honest. Sigh.

We are so glad we took the insurance policy, especially due to the medical emergency that arose. My husband was admitted to the hospital on the night before we were scheduled to depart. The hospital staff would not allow him to fly.

Claim # **, I submitted all paperwork to support my claim and my claim was approved. This insurance is great, no hassle. They stand by their word. The process took a very short time to complete my claim. Thank you.

Allianz Global Assistance Company Profile