Get a Free Quote Learn More

Get a Free Quote
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.48/5
Based on 1,900 ratings submitted in the last year
Learn More

For more than 100 years, Allianz has been providing security and assurance to people around the world. Whether you’ve lost luggage on a trip, your roof was damaged in a storm, you lost your job or would like to retire, Allianz has your back.

Allianz Global Assistance Gallery (4)
View More View More

Allianz Global Assistance Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: March 25, 2020

We are very pleased with the timing of the dispensing of the check mailed to us after filing our claim. This was done in a very short turn around time. What was very frustrating was the initial online process for filing the claim as the web site for doing so was somewhat confusing and required connecting with a rep to lead us through the process. The required documents that were scanned in by us took initially; however, when we retrieved the form the doctor's excuse was not with the copy of the trip itinerary. Eventually, after several tries, we were able to scan in the required doctor's excuse. After working with the rep, Orlando, who was extremely helpful, although it was a little difficult to understand him because of his Spanish accent, was a Godsend. Without his assistance we could have never managed the confusing web site.

We followed up this phone call with two additional phone calls to two different reps who could not validate that the copies of the required documents had arrived and were acceptable. The last rep that I talked with said that there would be a return phone call in regard to this; however, it was never received. The end result with the full payment of the air fare was received in a very timely manner. This is the only time that we have ever purchased travel insurance and the only time that we needed it. In the future we will definitely do this.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

I booked two Jet Blue Flights; both from FL to MA. I insured both with Global Allianz as I knew there was a possibility I would have to stay in MA for medical reason and thus not return to FL and not use the last leg of the first flight and not use the second flight at all. I found out I needed surgery and had a doctor's note. Global Allianz was responsive by telephone to explain the claims process to me. When I filled out the information online there was some problem with Global Allianz consolidating claims for both flights; it was confusing to them. I spoke with very well informed and extremely helpful customer service agents who were able to consolidate the claims.

The claim for the first flight had already been paid. They had to go back into their system, attach the two claims electronically, review both and send a second check for the loss of the second flight. They told me how much time this would take. They offered a way to review their process online as they were processing the claim. They were exceptionally responsive, always seeking to better understand my concerns, and ultimately solved the problem promptly. I received payment within a week following my calls. I highly recommend their insurance when it comes to medical issues (the only issue I can speak to). They are professional, responsive and very easy to work with.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

I purchased travel insurance on June 18, 2019, for a scheduled round trip on JetBlue. I was booked to leave San Jose, CA on Monday, September 16th (arriving JFK on 9/17) and to return to San Jose, CA from JFK on Wednesday, October 2, 2019. On July 4, 2019, I awoke with severe pain in my left foot. As I suffer from osteoporosis, I initially thought that I had broken a bone in that foot. My PCP was able to get me an emergency appointment with a podiatrist, who believed I was suffering from Gout and treated me accordingly. Within the next two weeks, the pain had spread to my right foot and was beginning to extend up my legs. I subsequently had both an MRI (revealing a fractured disk), as well as a Nerve Conduction and Electromyography study (which revealed chronic and severe nerve damage emanating from S1/S2). I have been essentially bed-bound from July through the current date.

When I finally determined that there was no way that I could fly the 5+ hours to NY without significant pain, I contacted JetBlue to cancel my flight. They refunded my base fee, net of a $100 penalty, to a Jet Blue Travel Account. At that time, they also indicated that I would be reimbursed (to my form of payment) for the amount I had paid for my “Even More Space” seats. When I initially filed my claim with Allianz, I included both the $100 penalty, as well as the “Even More Space” fees, as the credit had not appeared on my card. I also uploaded my PCP’s monthly appointment notes, as well as the results of the MRI and the Nerve Conduction/Electromyography study.

Within 15 days, I received an Allianz check for the entire amount reported. As Jet Blue had subsequently posted credits to my credit card for the “even more space” seats, I contacted Allianz to ask how I should return the amount paid me for those fees. It was a pleasure to deal with the Allianz agent. He was very courteous and pleasant. I subsequently cashed the Allianz check and returned the excess to the Recovery Department. The entire process was very simple and straightforward, requiring very little time or effort from me. I would definitely recommend Allianz to anyone who flies and wants to protect their “investment” in airfare.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2019

I rented a car through Hotwire in late February to travel to Maine from NYC. They offer the Collision/Damage Coverage from Allianz in the website, so I decided to take it instead of paying the extra fee of CDW (Collision/Damage Waiver) offered by the rental company. That weekend, we had a winter storm and the roads were covered with snow/ice. When driving back to the city, in the highway, I hit a block of ice (5" H x 5" W). I inspected the vehicle, checking for any damages, but there were none (visible, at least). Half an hour later, the car stalled out. We called the rental company, who tow the car to the closest rental office. We changed vehicles and kept driving back to the city.

5 months later, I received an invoice from the rental company, charging me $12,000 USD for the damages caused to the vehicle. It turned out that the block of ice broke the lower core of the engine and they were charging me total loss and replacement, and they were charging me because I didn't accepted the CDW offer by the rental company (mandatory to be covered by Allianz). I called immediately to file the claim - it was very easy and user-friendly through their website. I submitted all the paperwork requested online, and they negotiated internally with the car rental company. The situation took around 6 weeks to be resolved, but at the end, Allianz covered all the damages without any premium or affecting my personal insurance record. And, even though it took longer than expected, every time I called to Customer Service, the people were very transparent and gave all the information available in regards the claim.

I'm totally satisfied with the service, and I find it very useful - but only for longer trips or rentals longer than a week. If you're planning to rent a car for a week or less, just pay the extra fee for the CDW offered by the rental company; the price difference won't be significant and you won't have to worry, no matter what happens to the car, when you drop the keys in the counter when returning it. However, if your planning to rent a car for longer than a week, then it might be worth it because you could be saving some money; although, be ready to deal any claims from the rental car company if an accident happens. Just make sure to have all the paperwork available if something happens.

Original review: July 14, 2019

My buying travel insurance at the last minute was the best thing I ever did last month. My sister had planned a sibling weekend with my brothers in Jackson, MS - and because I am the one that lives the furtherest away, I needed to book a flight. One of my brothers had had a heart attack in January and had surgery, but was still feeling poorly six months later. In fact, he was feeling so poorly, he had to tell us as the weekend got closer, that he just wasn't up for a visit at all. He was too ill. This left me with a $400.00 non-refundable airplane ticket.

However, in my correspondence with Allianz - both via email and on the phone - I just needed to provide them a few documents and they said they could provide a refund or I could put in a claim for the $200.00 change fee when I booked another flight in the future. I was not optimistic because I thought they would find some reason not to do as they had promised - but I was wrong! Once I provided what I could provide them as far as documentation, I had a check in the mail in no time. The people I spoke to on the phone were very informative and courteous - everytime I called them! Thank you Allianz! Things happen unexpectantly and changes need to be made - thanks for understanding this and providing quality service! C.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allianz Global Assistance?

Original review: April 3, 2020

I was very pleased with the ease of filing my claim and the speed of refunding my ticket money. It was an easy process. I submitted my documentation with my refund form by mail. I had requested a check be mailed to me and received it in record time.

Original review: April 3, 2020

I was impressed at how easy it was to file my claim. When additional documentation was required I was able to submit screenshots via the upload feature and that worked without the need for a second request. Most amazing to me was the speed of the response especially considering the Coronavirus tragedy that was escalating at the time.

Original review: April 3, 2020

Excellent experience and will be sure to continue getting insurance in the future especially since I am disabled with medical challenges. Thank you for your great work and prompt service. I would recommend you to others in the future for sure. Thanks again, be well.

Original review: April 3, 2020

Refund for airline tickets due to medical issue. I am very pleased for the quick and positive response from Allianz Global Assistance. My request was handled in a very professional way. I would definitely recommend them and use them again when traveling. The gentleman I spoke with over the phone was extremely courteous and kind. Jeanne

Original review: April 1, 2020

I purchased my ticket with Delta prior to the Covid-19 Pandemic, back in December 2019. I also purchased my travel insurance with Allianz at that time. When the Pandemic hit late January and February, I cancelled my trip. I filed a claim with Allianz due to the Pandemic and the travel restrictions imposed by my state. The customer service representative said Covid-19 restrictions are not covered under the insurance and that I should have read the fine print prior to purchase. I am so angry and frustrated. I did not want to endanger my health or the health of the elderly family members I come in contact with and they would not honor my flight cancellation.

Allianz Global Assistance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Allianz Global Assistance has a long history in the industry. They were the insurer on the Wright brothers' flight and on the construction of the Golden Gate Bridge.

• Instant online quoting: Plan a trip and get travel insurance, all in just a few minutes.

• Annual coverage available: Frequent travelers often find annual coverage more affordable.

• Tiered-coverage options: Get as much or as little coverage as you need with four different product tiers on single-trip service.

• See state options: Individual states have different regulations regarding travel insurance, so see what is available in your state, within moments.

• Kids ride free: Children under 17 are automatically included in the price with the Classic Plan or Classic Plan Trip+ tiers.

• Best for: Party animals, workaholics, adventurers and family trippers.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor