It's that easy Request Information
4.27/5
Based on 1,423 ratings submitted in the last year

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

For more than 100 years, Allianz has been providing security and assurance to people around the world. Whether you’ve lost luggage on a trip, your roof was damaged in a storm, you lost your job or would like to retire, Allianz has your back.

Allianz Global Assistance Gallery (4)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

4409 Allianz Global Assistance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: April 19, 2019

Be aware of every single detail in what is NOT covered in their policies! My minor child was admitted to a psychiatric inpatient facility, under a doctor's care, for life threatening mental health reasons. I provided all documentation, yet my claim was denied with the explanation, "You aren't covered for any loss that results directly or indirectly from any mental or nervous health disorders (like anxiety, depression, neurosis, psychosis and others), or any related physical complications if they affect you, a traveling companion or a family member, whether the family member is traveling with you or not." This is ridiculous! I will NEVER waste my money and buy travel insurance from this old fashion, unrealistic company!!! Buyer beware!

Get expert buying tips about Travel Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I purchased a set of tickets for me and my wife (at the time for a concert. It had a small unassuming option of “ticket insurance”. I clicked it and it added to the cost of the bill. There was no long disclosure about how detailed the insurance was, it simply said “not sure if you can attend the event, get insurance!”. At no point was it made clear how few of things were actually covered or I 100% certainly would not have wasted my money. But I did and I took it for face value that they would be fair about it. Well fast forward, me and the wife get a divorce and now I’m thinking “oh no I still have these tickets for a group I don’t even like, good thing I got that insurance!”

I was happy until I spoke over the phone to Allianz and come to find out there’s quite a short list of things that are actually covered under my “policy”. Which let’s be honest here seems a little silly since it’s a simple pair of concert tickets, hardly worth having its own “policy”. I did not receive any policy number or information regarding the insurance. It was just a receipt from the ticket sales company. It wasn’t until I called their customer service line that I was even told the small list of things covered. I was basically told that there’s few things covered and I would have to submit documents and proof for all sorts of situations which again seems a little overkill for a refund on two simple concert tickets.

Apparently my reason wasn’t good enough for them. But even after that I had a car accident and again I tried to call them to see if maybe that was sufficient enough of a reason as my vehicle is no longer in operation and was hung up on. So at this point, needless to say, I feel cheated by the company and have now since found it has 1/5 stars on a lot of sites unfortunately for people who also fell victim to their policies that will not help you. It’s not like I am trying to scam them out of money, this wasn’t some 12,000$ Travel insurance. It was just for two little tickets to see Hooty and the Blowfish for 167$, which may not seem like much but it’s significant to me. Unfortunately apparently customers are not a priority.

Original review: April 15, 2019

I travel a lot and so have bought many travel policies from Allianz. The purchase process is efficient and easy and the prices reasonable. I have had to make one claim. That process was also efficient and reasonable. As a frequent traveler, I really appreciate efficient and easy.

Original review: April 15, 2019

My mother-in-law was in the hospital, so my wife flew to California to see her. I purchased the travel insurance in case her illness lingered. Unfortunately, she took an unexpected turn for the worse and passed away. My wife had to cancel. She reschedule her return flight to help with arrangements. I got her new ticket, and filed a claim. My claim was denied due to her mother having been in the hospital to begin with. Thanks for nothing.

Original review: April 13, 2019

Everything worked great for the claim made due to our canceled flight due to a winter storm. It was a one day delay and the hotel and other expenses were paid in full. It was relatively easy to file and we received our funds quickly as promised.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allianz Global Assistance?

Original review: April 13, 2019

I very much appreciate how expedient Allianz is in terms of handling claims. We ensure ourselves on almost every trip with Allianz (previously Access America) and have had to make 3 claims over the past 20 years. We have always been pleased. Thank you.

Original review: April 13, 2019

Thanks so very much for such a terrific experience. You responded quickly to my submission and the results were very satisfactory. Having peace of mind while traveling is priceless and I for sure will get another policy when I make my next trip. Thank you!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: April 12, 2019

So we bought a ticket on Priceline and purchased the insurance through Allianz. Guess what? They don't cover anything except emergency. So we ate out ticket due to a travel partner backing out on us. Don't even bother buying this insurance as this does NOT cover trip cancellation... Thanks.

Shawna,

Thank you for posting on Consumer Affairs and providing us with the opportunity to respond to your comment. We're sorry the insurance did not meet your needs. As our travel insurance products are designed to cover a broad range of common mishaps that travelers may experience, they can't cover every situation. We appreciate your feedback, as it gives us an opportunity to improve. We hope you will keep us in mind for your future travel needs!

Original review: April 11, 2019

The airline irreparably broke the wheel and corner of my suitcase. I filed a claim, with a photo of the damage and a copy of the suitcase replacement cost. My claim was immediately accepted, processed, and the check for the replacement cost was waiting for me when I got home. Excellent service!

Original review: April 11, 2019

I am glad I purchase travel insurance this time. I was approved for the airline's delay and received a refund. I would definitely recommend it to a family or friend. It paid off! So happy to receive a full refund.

Original review: April 11, 2019

I found out after the fact that the Allianz insurance that covers event attendance has significant limitations. If you or your guest has an illness that short term in duration (e. g. 24 GI flu) and cannot attend, Allianz will not cover the cost of the event without a Doctor's note. The problem is that while the illness is severe enough to miss the event, the symptoms will not persist until the person can be seen by a Doctor. It is my opinion that anyone expects to be covered in such a circumstance reconsider buying coverage from Allianz. It is further my opinion that this insurance is not worth the extra cost beyond the ticket price.

Peter,

Thank you for posting on Consumer Affairs and providing us with the opportunity to respond to your comment. We will share your feedback as it gives us an opportunity to improve. We're sorry the insurance did not meet your needs. Reimbursement for a claim is based on the submission of documentation to support that claim. As we wish one's word would be enough for reimbursement, supporting documentation from a physician is required. If you would like to speak with someone about your claim, please don’t hesitate to contact our customer service team and someone will be more than happy to assist you.

Original review: April 11, 2019

I purchased insurance on my round trip flight to New York in case anything came up. Unfortunately, the program I was planning to attend cancelled forcing me to cancel my trip. When I called Allianz I was told I will not be refunded for my cancellation because it does not fall under one of the "covered reasons." The whole reason I purchased insurance was because I read up to 100% of cancellations will be refunded. This company gets you with their fine print and VERY RESTRICTIVE coverage. Their process to file a claim also requires lots of documentation and many steps. Purchasing the insurance was worthless and now I'm just out even more money than I would have been if I hadn't purchased the insurance on top of the flight I won't get refunded for.

Janna,

Thank you for posting on Consumer Affairs and providing us with the opportunity to respond to your comment. We're sorry the insurance did not meet your needs. As our travel insurance products are designed to cover a broad range of common mishaps that travelers may experience, they don't cover every situation. Our terms and conditions are available to our customers through a link on our ads before purchase. Customers are also given a 10-day money - back guarantee period after purchase where customers have the choice to cancel their policy , for a full premium refund, if they find the terms don’t suit their needs. We appreciate your feedback, as it gives us an opportunity to improve. Please let us know if there is anything we can do for you or if you have any questions in the future.

Help Team

USA

Original review: April 11, 2019

We have been insuring with Allianz for car rentals and full trips for several years. We had made one minor claim and Allianz was prompt. Then we planned that 'trip of a lifetime' to last a year and chose Allianz again. The night before we were to leave, I was told I had cancer. With the help of several providers - and especially Allianz - we had as carefree a 3 weeks in New Zealand as possible and then came home for what is thought to be successful surgery. This is the reason we bought insurance all those times we did not have to use it - Allianz was helpful, direct, uncomplicated, and fast in their coverage. When the time comes to travel again, Allianz will be our insurance provider.

Original review: April 11, 2019

I had to cancel airline tickets due to an emergency surgery and Allianz reimbursed my entire flight cost! I had to upload a few documents to their website and my refund was credited to my bank account in less than 1 week.

Original review: April 11, 2019

I bought coverage for a trip I planned to take. However, I became ill right before the trip and was advised by my doctor not to take the trip. My wife submitted the claim for me. She submitted a note from my doctor explaining that I was not able to take the trip because of my medical condition. We received excellent service and received a refund for our trip. We are very satisfied with the service and would recommend it to friends.

Original review: April 11, 2019

I’ve traveled extensively to more than 20 countries and have bought flight insurance every time just in case anything happens. Over the years nothing has ever happened that required me to draw on the travel insurance support, until a few months ago when I had a family crisis. I had to cancel and change my flight and called Allianz for help but they did not do a thing for me. The type of crisis my family had wasn’t the kind where I could quickly pop into a doctor's office for a note for validation and as a result I lost hundreds of dollars in unused flights and more in new flights I had to purchase. If this is what happens whenever there’s an emergency, it’s a waste of money. I’m not buying from them again. I recommend staying away from their insurance, you won’t get anything from them.

Brittany,

Please allow me to express my deepest sympathies for the crisis occurring to your family. I apologize for your frustration with the coverage and claims process. Thank you for posting on Consumer Affairs and providing us with the opportunity to respond to your comment. We will share your feedback as it gives us an opportunity to improve. Reimbursement for a claim is based on the submission of documentation to support that claim. As we wish one's word would be enough for reimbursement, supporting documentation from a physician is required. If you would like to speak with someone about your claim, please don’t hesitate to contact our customer service team and someone will be more than happy to assist you.

Original review: April 10, 2019

The amount of paperwork and verification was substantial, however once I provided it, the process went quickly and the refund was sent promptly. I would definiteily recommend getting insurance protection and using Allianz.

Original review: April 10, 2019

My wife and I had to cancel our November cruise due to health problems I had. After receiving the doctor's report Allianz refunded the amount of the trip due me. No problems at all. We will use them the next time we travel again.

Original review: April 10, 2019

My flight from Newark NJ to Wichita KS was delayed/re-routed to Atlanta but I finally arrived in Atlanta so late that it required a layover night before I could get an early morning flight the next day to Wichita. Though the process for submitting qualifying paperwork was cumbersome and time consuming, I am pleased that Allianz did reimburse me for my expenses and I greatly appreciate this value of the travel insurance. Thank you.

Original review: April 10, 2019

Just read the fine print and have an understanding of trip delay, cancelation, interruption on Trip protection. But I was satisfied with the service I received. I would suggest trip protection to all. Customer Service was helpful in our dilemma of having to cut our vacation short due to cancelation of flight.

Original review: April 10, 2019

Our flight was cancelled and we had to hurry to schedule a new flight to be able to arrive home the day we wanted. Our agent was on top of taking care of us and Allianz helped to make sure we had proper info for them to refund us. It was easy, fast & hassle free.

Original review: April 10, 2019

It was a much easier process than I thought it would be. We had an unfortunate family medical emergency and did not have to jump through hoops to get our flight credited. It was a surprisingly pleasant experience during a stressful time. Thank you!

Original review: April 10, 2019

Secondary to a health problem not allowing me to travel I made a claim that was handled quickly and easily. I am impressed with the service you provided. Thank you so much. I will use your service in the future.

Original review: April 10, 2019

This is first time I got travel insurance as I was travelling with little kids so I decided to go ahead and apply for travel insurance. You youngest became sick and needed ER visit. I paid out of pocket at that time and applied for refund later. I really feel the processing was timely for claim and staff was respectful. Mobile app is a big help to submit the details.

Original review: April 10, 2019

I opted to use Allianz to cover a softball camp during flu season. My only regret is not using them on every camp. She was the sickest she’s ever been and would’ve tried to play no matter what. Glad we had the coverage on this one. Great customer service. Easy to file claim. Paid quickly.

Original review: April 9, 2019

We would definitely recommend Allianz to family and friends (I have already done so). On our recent trip to Cabo San Lucas Mark became ill and had to go to emergency. Imagine the surprise when we were told we had to pay over $4,000 to the hospital on our credit card before we could leave. We cut our vacation short so we rescheduled our flights home again adding to the credit card. This was in mid/late February and when I got home I went to their website, filed my claim and Allianz immediately paid the airfare charges and also the medical claim was paid. Plus we were reimbursed for the loss of days (penalty) at the resort. All within 6 weeks. Best advise to anyone using the insurance to keep all of your receipts, from the payment to the resort to the airfare and most definitely the medical expense. Thank you Allianz for your prompt payment!

Original review: April 9, 2019

My wife got the flu JUST before our trip. Allianz made the claim so easy and the check arrived quickly. A quick phone call answered all my questions then we just submitted the required information online and that was it.

Original review: April 9, 2019

My husband became critically ill. My travel claim was processed quickly and fairly with the utmost professionalism. My questions were answered in a timely manner. I will always use Allianz Travel Insurance for my travel needs. I would highly recommend your travel insurance to a friend.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: April 9, 2019

First refund request for $945.40 was processed promptly - thanks. **. Second travel refund request ** or ** for $753.73 was mistakenly dismissed as a duplicate of the first, and thus delayed for WEEKS. As of today I still don't have it.

Susan,

Thank you for posting on Consumer Affairs and providing us with the opportunity to respond to your comment. We will share your feedback as it gives us an opportunity to improve. We are very sorry to hear about your frustration with the claims experience and delayed reimbursement. We will share your feedback as it gives us an opportunity to improve. We want to help you resolve this. Please email your claim number to the Help Team and we'll happily look into your claim.

Original review: April 9, 2019

We were very pleased with the response and timeliness of Allianz when our flight was cancelled. I completed the initial paperwork on a Tuesday, had a response a day later asking for additional information. Filed that and within a couple of days had a confirmation that a check was forthcoming. This was a small claim, but handled professionally and quickly. I appreciated the response and the check.

Allianz Global Assistance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Allianz Global Assistance has a long history in the industry. They were the insurer on the Wright brothers' flight and on the construction of the Golden Gate Bridge.

• Instant online quoting: Plan a trip and get travel insurance, all in just a few minutes.

• Annual coverage available: Frequent travelers often find annual coverage more affordable.

• Tiered-coverage options: Get as much or as little coverage as you need with four different product tiers on single-trip service.

• See state options: Individual states have different regulations regarding travel insurance, so see what is available in your state, within moments.

• Kids ride free: Children under 17 are automatically included in the price with the Classic Plan or Classic Plan Trip+ tiers.

• Best for: Party animals, workaholics, adventurers and family trippers.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky