Call toll free
4.49/5
Based on 1,456 ratings submitted in the last year

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

For more than 100 years, Allianz has been providing security and assurance to people around the world. Whether you’ve lost luggage on a trip, your roof was damaged in a storm, you lost your job or would like to retire, Allianz has your back.

Allianz Global Assistance Gallery (4)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

Allianz Global Assistance Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Dec. 7, 2019

I purchased flight insurance for a trip I booked for my boyfriend and I. I was hospitalized due to mental health and could no longer make my trip, I was denied any sort of refund because mental health is a policy exclusion. I am very dissatisfied by this as I wasted my money purchasing this insurance. My flight in total was close to $500 dollars and I will never use this service again. Stay away if you have any sort of mental illness as they don't care whatsoever.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

I bought Allianz trip insurance when I ordered my airline tickets through the AAA. I broke my arm 4 days before the trip. I followed the directions on the Allianz website to make my claim for a refund. It was easy to upload the requested documents. I thought it would be just the beginning of a long, drawn-out process, & I would probably have to provide more documentation. What a pleasant surprise to receive notification in less than a week that my claim had been approved. I received a check (the payment method I requested) in the mail shortly thereafter. At a time when dealing with a broken arm was making my life more difficult in a lot of ways, it was SO NICE to have the trip insurance claim process go easy! Thanks, Allianz! Best $25 I ever spent!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

This has happened a few times now. I buy an airline ticket on Delta Airlines and then change or cancel the airline ticket. Allianz does not refund the policy if the airline ticket is cancelled and getting the funds back takes time and hassle. I am not buying this insurance any longer.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

I needed to cancel my airline ticket because of my mother's decline in health, which lead to her death on Nov 22. I received wonderful assistance and compassion. It was one less thing I had to worry about during this emotional time.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

This insurance is for medical emergencies only, not if you decide to just change your travel plans. I made plans to travel from Dallas to Virginia for Christmas and booked the flight in Sept. and purchased the insurance in case something came up and needed to change the itinerary. At the time of purchase I looked at the policy and on the trip protector gives 12 benefits and one of those is change fee protection. Until I tried to used. I called in early Dec. to change my plans and when I stated that disclaimer I was told it doesn't cover it and instead was sent by email a different policy that doesn't state what I read on the AA website.

Allianz Global Assistance response

Dear Ernie,

Thank you for posting on Trustpilot and bringing your experience to my attention. I am very sorry to hear about your frustration with the policy you purchased and your claims experience. While we have designed our products to cover the most common unforeseen situations our customers might encounter, not all events and situations are ones which trigger coverage in our insurance programs.

We want consumers to make an informed choice when it comes to purchasing insurance, which is why we provide a link to review the policy's terms and conditions. With this link, we offer a review period, so should you decide the coverage doesn't work for you, you can get a full refund for the policy. If you have further questions about the outcome of your claim, or would like someone to walk you through the policy you purchased in full detail, please don't hesitate to email Help.Team@allianzassistance.com, and I'll be happy to further assist you. I will share your feedback as this provides us with the opportunity to improve our products and services.

Sincerely,

Alexandria

Help Team USA

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allianz Global Assistance?

Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

I purchased travel insurance on June 18, 2019, for a scheduled round trip on JetBlue. I was booked to leave San Jose, CA on Monday, September 16th (arriving JFK on 9/17) and to return to San Jose, CA from JFK on Wednesday, October 2, 2019. On July 4, 2019, I awoke with severe pain in my left foot. As I suffer from osteoporosis, I initially thought that I had broken a bone in that foot. My PCP was able to get me an emergency appointment with a podiatrist, who believed I was suffering from Gout and treated me accordingly. Within the next two weeks, the pain had spread to my right foot and was beginning to extend up my legs. I subsequently had both an MRI (revealing a fractured disk), as well as a Nerve Conduction and Electromyography study (which revealed chronic and severe nerve damage emanating from S1/S2). I have been essentially bed-bound from July through the current date.

When I finally determined that there was no way that I could fly the 5+ hours to NY without significant pain, I contacted JetBlue to cancel my flight. They refunded my base fee, net of a $100 penalty, to a Jet Blue Travel Account. At that time, they also indicated that I would be reimbursed (to my form of payment) for the amount I had paid for my “Even More Space” seats. When I initially filed my claim with Allianz, I included both the $100 penalty, as well as the “Even More Space” fees, as the credit had not appeared on my card. I also uploaded my PCP’s monthly appointment notes, as well as the results of the MRI and the Nerve Conduction/Electromyography study.

Within 15 days, I received an Allianz check for the entire amount reported. As Jet Blue had subsequently posted credits to my credit card for the “even more space” seats, I contacted Allianz to ask how I should return the amount paid me for those fees. It was a pleasure to deal with the Allianz agent. He was very courteous and pleasant. I subsequently cashed the Allianz check and returned the excess to the Recovery Department. The entire process was very simple and straightforward, requiring very little time or effort from me. I would definitely recommend Allianz to anyone who flies and wants to protect their “investment” in airfare.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

I bought the insurance for medical reasons as my husband had a kidney transplant and I am on an insulin pump. Medical issues at our age (60s) can come up quick sometimes. I did not know about the travel disruption. My husband was looking over the policy in our hotel room on the way home from Myrtle beach and discovered it.

We were surprised and so happy. The process of filling out the paperwork online was extremely easy and all we had to do was get a copy of the original bill which took a bit of time. But after we submitted the correct paperwork the process was so FAST and we were ecstatic at the refund of the money. It was a long drive from Rochester NY to Myrtle Beach SC. We kept hoping the Hurricane would pass us by as we had only been there a few days. But as it got closer I got more nervous and when we got the mandatory eviction from the hotel it was a mad rush to leave and got stuck in all the traffic. The vacation we had planned for our anniversary was ruined. But the insurance was wonderful at least we got the money back for the resort and it was a quick and easy process.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2019

I rented a car through Hotwire in late February to travel to Maine from NYC. They offer the Collision/Damage Coverage from Allianz in the website, so I decided to take it instead of paying the extra fee of CDW (Collision/Damage Waiver) offered by the rental company. That weekend, we had a winter storm and the roads were covered with snow/ice. When driving back to the city, in the highway, I hit a block of ice (5" H x 5" W). I inspected the vehicle, checking for any damages, but there were none (visible, at least). Half an hour later, the car stalled out. We called the rental company, who tow the car to the closest rental office. We changed vehicles and kept driving back to the city.

5 months later, I received an invoice from the rental company, charging me $12,000 USD for the damages caused to the vehicle. It turned out that the block of ice broke the lower core of the engine and they were charging me total loss and replacement, and they were charging me because I didn't accepted the CDW offer by the rental company (mandatory to be covered by Allianz). I called immediately to file the claim - it was very easy and user-friendly through their website. I submitted all the paperwork requested online, and they negotiated internally with the car rental company. The situation took around 6 weeks to be resolved, but at the end, Allianz covered all the damages without any premium or affecting my personal insurance record. And, even though it took longer than expected, every time I called to Customer Service, the people were very transparent and gave all the information available in regards the claim.

I'm totally satisfied with the service, and I find it very useful - but only for longer trips or rentals longer than a week. If you're planning to rent a car for a week or less, just pay the extra fee for the CDW offered by the rental company; the price difference won't be significant and you won't have to worry, no matter what happens to the car, when you drop the keys in the counter when returning it. However, if your planning to rent a car for longer than a week, then it might be worth it because you could be saving some money; although, be ready to deal any claims from the rental car company if an accident happens. Just make sure to have all the paperwork available if something happens.

Original review: July 15, 2019

Allianz Global was extremely easy to work with when it came to making a claim on a cancelled trip to CO. Since I have had a few episodes of vertigo which comes for no apparent reason, I decided to purchase travel insurance. Sure enough a couple days before the trip I woke up with vertigo which is very debilitating. I went to the ear institute to receive a treatment for the vertigo. I asked the doctor to write a letter in case it didn't improve enough in the next couple days, since there was no way I could fly in this condition.

After cancelling the trip I called Allianz Global and spoke to a rep that was very pleasant. He helped me to make a claim and sent a form via email. After filling in the information and sending it with the doctors letter, I received an update on the status of my claim. I just received a check in the full amount of my plane ticket and am very happy I made the wise decision to purchase travel insurance.It makes more sense to lose the $20 on insurance than to risk losing $379.on plane fare, I plan to do this for every future trip just to give me peace of mind. Thank you Allianz!

Original review: July 14, 2019

My buying travel insurance at the last minute was the best thing I ever did last month. My sister had planned a sibling weekend with my brothers in Jackson, MS - and because I am the one that lives the furtherest away, I needed to book a flight. One of my brothers had had a heart attack in January and had surgery, but was still feeling poorly six months later. In fact, he was feeling so poorly, he had to tell us as the weekend got closer, that he just wasn't up for a visit at all. He was too ill. This left me with a $400.00 non-refundable airplane ticket.

However, in my correspondence with Allianz - both via email and on the phone - I just needed to provide them a few documents and they said they could provide a refund or I could put in a claim for the $200.00 change fee when I booked another flight in the future. I was not optimistic because I thought they would find some reason not to do as they had promised - but I was wrong! Once I provided what I could provide them as far as documentation, I had a check in the mail in no time. The people I spoke to on the phone were very informative and courteous - everytime I called them! Thank you Allianz! Things happen unexpectantly and changes need to be made - thanks for understanding this and providing quality service! C.

Allianz Global Assistance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Allianz Global Assistance has a long history in the industry. They were the insurer on the Wright brothers' flight and on the construction of the Golden Gate Bridge.

• Instant online quoting: Plan a trip and get travel insurance, all in just a few minutes.

• Annual coverage available: Frequent travelers often find annual coverage more affordable.

• Tiered-coverage options: Get as much or as little coverage as you need with four different product tiers on single-trip service.

• See state options: Individual states have different regulations regarding travel insurance, so see what is available in your state, within moments.

• Kids ride free: Children under 17 are automatically included in the price with the Classic Plan or Classic Plan Trip+ tiers.

• Best for: Party animals, workaholics, adventurers and family trippers.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky