Call now
  • 1 star
Based on 1,205 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Call now

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

For more than 100 years, Allianz has been providing security and assurance to people around the world. Whether you’ve lost luggage on a trip, your roof was damaged in a storm, you lost your job or would like to retire, Allianz has your back.

Allianz Global Assistance Gallery (4)
A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 16, 2018

2413 Allianz Global Assistance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

Our departure and arrival were delayed over 48 hours, so the airline canceled, then refunded our airline tickets. No problem. We had purchased non-refundable theater tickets for shows at our destination before we left. I submitted those to Allianz, but reimbursement for the theater tickets was initially denied. The agent on the phone told me I did not insure the theater tickets, so they were not eligible. When I asked her about “prepaid expenses” under “Trip interruption coverage” on page 8, section 2: What this policy includes, she told me that the theater tickets did not qualify. When I asked her for an example of a prepaid expense that would qualify, she had no answer. I finally was reimbursed after I e-mailed a dispute, for which I was very grateful. But the customer service from the very rude agent was well below any acceptable standard. I will most likely buy the insurance again, but if needed, I will not waste my time trying to speak with an agent.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

I bought a ticket for a friend. I charged it as well as the Flight Insurance on my AMEX card. The trip was cancelled as the result of a medical emergency. I filed a claim and included my AMEX Bill, a copy of thee itinerary and a Physician's form as required. I spoke to 2 customer service reps. Very poor command of English. The second one had to consult with someone else every time I asked a question. The claimed that they couldn't reimburse me because they are required by law to only reimburse the passenger. What a crock!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

They were very helpful from the beginning. I never expected to file a claim and due to being deployed for 3 hurricanes, I missed my conference in Vegas. They guided me to the website where I completed my claim info. They reviewed and paid in timely fashion. No f/u calls were needed. Very professional and efficient. I would use them again and highly recommend them.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

We were supposed to go to Chicago the day after Christmas and my daughter got a horrible stomach flu. She went to the doctor to verify and we were able to get our money back for a vacation that we could not go on. It was worth the extra money to have the travel insurance.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

We recently had air reservations to spend Christmas with our children/grands (1st time in 5 years) but I came down with Shingles the first of December! Not only painful, heartbreaking, and disappointing, but we immediately thought we would be out the airfare for both of us. I contacted Allianz immediately and filed a claim for reimbursement. Allianz was prompt in contacting us with a request for the needed information and away we went. They kept us informed of the ongoing process and within 3-4 weeks our claim had been approved and reimbursement made. The whole process was certainly faster and less painful than the case of Shingles... which is on-going. Thank you Allianz.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allianz Global Assistance?

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

During the Christmas holidays we learned that our daughter's plane travel needed to be changed because of a medical need. Allianz handled efficiently and quickly notwithstanding the upcoming holidays. We greatly appreciate the professional and no hassle process.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

I filed my claim online and sent a picture of my receipt for the documentation. The process was extremely easy and fast. I got a response the next business day, and within one week the claim was approved and a check was mailed. I really had no idea what to expect since I’ve only been purchasing the insurance for trips in the last couple years and had never had a claim. I was pleasantly surprised at the great service.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

Courteous phone service with ease of reaching a representative. Great coverage with prompt service, easy and efficient claims process. I appreciate the options available and the fact that there are multiple plan options. I have recommended Allianz to friends and colleagues. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

Allianz was fantastic. My baggage was delayed for four days on my way to India from San Francisco. Jet Airways would not answer when I asked for some kind of compensation but Allianz made the claim process super easy and settled my claim quickly. I couldn’t be more satisfied.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I bought a travel policy with Allianz after a friend had an extremely favorable experience with this company after she had a serious accident. My own experience was the same. While traveling in Bali I had a very bad slip and fall. Allianz covered it all. Then I was impacted by the Volcano... Allianz covered it all. I'm a very happy with my experience, easy and great customer service with zero fuss.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I was recently required to cancel a trip due to an illness that prevented me from flying. Allianz processed my claim quickly and without issue. I would recommend everyone to acquire trip insurance with this company for peace of mind.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

Claim was settled quickly and fairly. Website advising needed documentation was a little confusing, but the customer service staff was able to give accurate information that was helpful. The website was helpful in showing the status of the pending claim. Very pleased with the experience.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I had a problem with a delayed flight to Europe, which caused me to lost a night in a prepaid residence, and forced me to find a hotel late in the night. I filed my claim and the response was expedite and satisfactory.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I was forced to cancel a prepaid reservation for a trip due to an emergency condition in my house. I submitted a claim which was handled quickly with a minimum of paperwork. It was well worth the cost of my policy. I would never think of going on another trip without having a policy from Allianz.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

On a recent trip from DFW to LAX, my wife became ill and required special medical treatment. We were concerned about her ability to make the return flight home in the cramped and crowded economy section where we had reservations. Our son volunteered his airline miles to purchase first class tickets home for us. This would ease the travel burden for my wife and place her much closer to the restroom, if needed. We canceled our origin return reservations and when we arrived home filed a claim with Allianz for that portion of our trip. Allianz responded quickly to our request and settled our claim within a week after we filed it. No hassle, no fret, just efficient and positive service. We couldn't ask for better treatment.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

So glad I purchased insurance for my flights. A family member had an unexpected illness and was put on comfort measures only. Online process was smooth and customer service was helpful with questions. Refund check came as expected. Having the insurance gave me peace of mind during a very difficult time.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

This was my first time filing a travel insurance claim (a family member became ill and couldn't travel). Allianz and Delta Airlines were both very professional and prompt when I filed the forms. The check arrived within the timeline. Thanks for your great service, and I will purchase insurance again and recommend to family and friends.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

My family and I scheduled a trip and at the last minute my daughter became very ill. I canceled the trip and contacted Allianz about my insurance and they were so polite and kind. They walked me through the steps and emailed me the forms I needed. Within about 10 days I had a check in the mailbox, reimbursing me for the airline tickets I bought. So easy to do business with and stood behind what they said they would do.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I had recently purchased tickets to an event as a Christmas gift for my stepfather, and purchased ticket insurance in case something came up and he was unable to go, the DAY OF the event he was unable to make the event due to being sick, he refused to go to the doctors as it was only the flu and there was nothing they could really do for him anyways. (And I was unaware he HAD to go in order to get my money back, as they don’t state this during ticket purchasing, unless you look under ALL of the FAQs which took me quite awhile to get to.)

So therefore I filed a claim to receive my money back and they rejected it because I did not have a doctors note stating he was sick. So now I am out over $200!!! I am sooo upset!!! I called to talk to a representative and they were useless. They just kept saying sorry and didn’t give me any other options I could do. I will NEVER go through them again! Everyone just make sure you have the proper “excuse” according to the representatives and the proper documentation. According to them, being very ill, a death, a motor vehicle accident TO THE EVENT, and a cancellation in the event is their ONLY proper excuses. WITH DOCUMENTATION. I know this is mostly my stepfathers fault for not going to the event but if I would have known this I MYSELF would have just went to the event but now we are out over $200!!!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I recently had to file a claim with Allianz and I couldn't be happier. Prompt payment and easy filing make me a happy customer. I don't travel without being covered by Allianz any longer. Always professional, it's nice to have confidence!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

They did what they said they would do. It was easy to go online to make my claim and got my refund back within 10 business day... I would recommend them for all insurance needs for your trip... Thank you!!!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

We had expenses due to a trip interruption during our Disney Cruise during Hurricane Irma. Allianz was fantastic handling the claim. Process was very clear as to what was needed in way of receipts and paperwork. They were extremely prompt in processing the claim. Couldn't be happier with our experience.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

On my recent trip to Ireland my travel companion and I faced some major delays that were frustrating to us. The airlines took care of us and made up our day we missed, however, we had to make arrangements in order to make the flight out which required us to book a hotel near the airport the night before since it was on a Sunday. Allianz Global Assistance reimbursed us for the unexpected expense for that night. Very pleased with their service.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

In October, 2016, my wife and were in New York vacationing. The next leg of our trip involved flying to West Virginia to visit my aunt for four days before flying home to BC. A day or two before our flight to WV, my aunt called to tell us to abort the visit due to the arrival of Hurricane Andrew that weekend. She said that residents of her area were being warned of impending strong winds, flooding and power outages. She said that they would likely have to leave their home. We quickly changed our flights and left New York to return to Canada and then filed a trip interruption claim with Global.

Over the next six weeks we received requests for all kinds of proof about our flight changes, costs and in particular, proof about the weather associated with Hurricane Andrew in the West Virginia area! I was forced to review all kinds of news stories, weather warnings, etc. and send them links to show how bad this situation was. I responded to every request, no matter how absurd, within a day of receiving it via email and or hard copy. Eventually, I received a letter from Allianz stating that we had taken too long to get the information to them and we were denied our claim. By this time, it was late December and I was about to leave for another trip, so I did not write a review or pursue the company for our loss.

Then, only six weeks ago, I was vacationing in Mexico and had an accident while paragliding and broke my leg. From the hospital, on November 22, I phoned Allianz and told them the FULL story. The phone conversation was very positive and the associate told me that I would be fully covered for my change of flights and extra travel expenses to get me and my leg back to Canada. I returned to Canada on November 26 and had the completed claim in the mail by November 29. On December 10, I received correspondence requesting me to sign a medical coverage waiver for my BC Medical. This was confusing as I was not claiming medical expenses. (Thankfully, that policy was provided by TUGO through BCAA). However, I had that form signed and back to the post office in thirty minutes.

Then, on January 2, I received another request for me to complete more medical forms. I called the company. The associate I spoke with looked at her screen and said, "we've made an error. We thought you were claiming for medical expenses..." She then looked up my name and found the actual claim and promptly informed me that I was being denied because the accident happened while I was paragliding, an excluded activity. I reviewed the policy which I should have done earlier and sure enough, paragliding is excluded but so is just about every other kind of physical activity anyone might do for fun.

Here is the wording from the policy: "Amateur or professional sports, or other athletic activities, which are organized and/or sanctioned. Full-contact bodily sports, skydiving, hang gliding, bungee jumping, parachuting, mountain climbing (where ropes or guides are normally used), caving, heli-skiing, any skiing or snowboarding outside marked trails, any motorized race or motorized speed contest." What really bothers me is that one of their own associates heard me say from my hospital bed that I was paragliding when the accident occurred and still gave me every indication that my claim was bonafide.

From these two experiences, I have concluded that this company is a poor choice for any kind of travel insurance and I certainly would not recommend Allianz to anyone shopping for a travel insurance company. I should also note that BCAA's TUGO plan does cover paragliding (as long as it is not for professional purposes) and that I received full compensation for my medical expenses by December 19. I will never respond to an offer from a travel agent such as Expedia to sign up with Allianz when I purchase a plane ticket again.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

We were scheduled to fly to San Francisco to spend Thanksgiving with my son and his family. Shortly before our trip, I developed a respiratory virus, followed by deep vein thrombosis. My physician advised me not to fly and completed the physician statement. I was able to file my claim online and submit all necessary documentation. The claim was approved and I received a full refund in a short amount of time. I will never book air travel again without insurance.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I submitted a claim, unsure if it would qualify for trip cancellation reimbursement, due to the unusual nature of the circumstances. I was pleasantly surprised when it was approved. My daughter-in-law was scheduled for a C-section, so I scheduled a flight to be there for the birth. Two days prior to the travel date, her Dr. decided to cancel the C-section and allow the pregnancy to continue normally. Since the flight was a non-refundable fare, had the claim not been approved, I would have had to eat the $300+ cost of the ticket. Thank you Allianz.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

It went very smoothly getting this back. I was surprised. I had to speak to Allianz two different times and both were easy and clear. The email procedures went easily as well. The refund arrived this week!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I have never purchased trip cancellation insurance for a domestic flight, but did so recently, as I'm a caregiver for elderly parents & was concerned plans may be interrupted. Most unfortunately, a couple of days after booking, my father's health took a bad turn, necessitating change of plans. As required by your company, support paperwork was submitted and refund issued a few weeks thereafter. While I have no immediate plans for travel, I will not hesitate using Allianz Global Assistance for future needs, and am most grateful for your kind assistance and timely response in this matter. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

My husband became ill and couldn't travel as planned. It took some work to get all of the documents uploaded but they were very helpful and the refund was a full refund of the ticket price. I chose for it to go directly to our bank account. It was fast and I was pleased. I'm sure it wouldn't have been so easy if I hadn't checked the documents first and taken the one with us that the Dr. needed to fill out. I'm not sure how it would have been if the circumstances had been different but for medical, it really paid off.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I am very happy with the response and timeliness from Allianz with regards to a claim for Travel Delay and Travel Interruption. Although the website is a bit frustrating and confusing in terms of how to list and itemize based on the Company's specific language around things, I was able to navigate and upload all relevant documents. When I did call in for Customer Service assistance, the first person I spoke with really did not understand my request or provided any clarity. I Called back and got someone very helpful and knowledgeable and was able to finalize my claims submission. Bottom line, definitely worthwhile to buy trip insurance. You just never know what might happen. I would highly recommend Allianz Travel Insurance.

Allianz Global Assistance Company Information

www.allianztravelinsurance.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use