3.8/5 (746 ratings)
Find a Travel Insurance partner
Banner image

Traveling soon? Make sure your trip is covered!

Get travel insurance that meets your needs on Faye

Check Pricing

About Allianz Global Assistance

Allianz Global Assistance is one of the largest travel insurance companies and offers proven trip protection for vacations across the world. Allianz travel insurance helps cover the cost of delays, medical expenses and even cancellations. Plus, coverage also includes free access to assistance services like interpreters.

Pros

• Affordable price
  • Straightforward coverage
  • Multiple coverage levels
  • Worldwide assistance

Cons

• Can only cancel for specific reasons
  • Coverage not always flexible

Bottom Line

Allianz is an affordable travel insurance company with worldwide coverage. While Allianz doesn’t offer customizable or flexible coverage, its various coverage levels ensure most everyone will find a package for them.

Top Allianz Global Assistance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allianz Global Assistance?

Verified

I truly appreciate you taking the time to talk to me and your heartfelt concerns dealing with my situation. This is what it supposed to feel like on the other line. Real human, re...

Verified

I submitted a request to received a refund for plane tickets to San Diego California in July 20. I'm in the military and I was unable to travel. It was a smooth process. I would l...

Banner image

Traveling soon? Make sure your trip is covered!

Get travel insurance that meets your needs on Faye

Check Pricing

How does Allianz travel insurance work?

Allianz trip insurance policies come in three tiers: Basic, Prime and Premier. Basic includes trip cancellation and interruption benefits as well as some medical and baggage coverage. Prime offers somewhat expanded Basic benefits and free coverage of children under 17. Premier protection comes with all the Prime benefits as well as expanded post-departure benefits, including bag delay, change fees, concierge services and more. It also includes more reasons for cancellation.

Allianz can help you personalize coverage to mitigate risks that might occur based on the type of trip you’re taking. For example, you can choose to add rental car protection or medical insurance for an additional price. Customers who travel a lot can buy multi-trip or annual policies.

Using the Allianz app

With the free Allianz TravelSmart app, you get instant access to their coverage benefits anywhere in the world, which lets you file claims easily and stay a step ahead during travel. In an emergency, the app can help you locate a screened and approved medical facility immediately.

Allianz travel insurance cost

Allianz travel insurance plans start at just $23 per trip. The cost of travel insurance varies based on the travel destination, length of a vacation, what type of coverage is needed, the cost of the vacation, the age of the traveler and a few other factors.

For reference, we requested a quote for a five-day trip to Mexico and received a quote for $139 for Premier coverage, $84 for Prime and $62 for Basic. Because the company is so large, it can offer low prices while also guaranteeing payouts.

Keep in mind that cancellation insurance only covers unexpected events, not foreseeable ones. Talk to a company representative if you have any questions about what is covered by your policy.

Allianz Global Assistance FAQ

What is a covered reason for trip cancellation with Allianz?
Covered reasons include unexpected natural disasters, divorce, severe injury, death and other events.
Does Allianz travel insurance cover flight changes?
Yes, for covered reasons. Each policy will outline what reasons are covered.
Who owns Allianz?
Allianz Global Assistance is owned by Allianz SE in Munich, Germany.
How many countries does Allianz operate in?
Allianz travel insurance operates in more than 70 countries across the world.
How do I submit a claim to Allianz?
Travelers can either file a claim on the company’s website or with the Allianz TravelSmart app.

Is Allianz Global Assistance worth it?

Allianz Global Assistance is one of the largest travel insurance companies and offers the financial protection needed to travel confidently. The company provides a variety of options and tiers of coverage, so most travelers can find the right kind of travel insurance for their needs and budget. While some competitors do offer more flexibility and customization in their travel insurance, like adventure coverage or cancellations for any reason, Allianz’s low prices make the company a good choice for most travelers.

Allianz Global Assistance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allianz Global Assistance?

Original review: Jan. 23, 2023

I bought 2 basketball tickets for a birthday gift and decided to get insurance on them. The person I bought the tickets for has covid. Did a home test. They said they need a pcr or Dr statement. Why would I have this young man go out to expose other people with covid just to get a pcr test done when he already knows he has covid. This insurance is a fraud. Covid is an illness and you shouldn't have people with high temp and that are contagious going out in public trying to get documents when you have the proof right at home. I will never go through EVER AGAIN!!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2023

Allianz travel insurance's marketing is misleading, and they are not transparent about the additional expense of obtaining "proof" that they require when filing a claim. I thought I was purchasing assurance that if I fell ill with anything that’s going around, I could at least take comfort in not losing the monetary travel value. At the time of purchase, their marketing emphasized Covid protection and the fear of not losing money because of it. I found out the hard way that not only is it a limited cap on what is covered, if you are unable to travel due to an illness, the cost of seeking medical attention is high and it is at your expense.

The Doctor's appointments and lab tests that need to be submitted for consideration to decide whether or not your illness is covered is costly. Currently the cheapest test in my area for just COVID is $189, Flu $150, and RSV $57, which alone is significant but having to make multiple office visits and other tests if your first isn't conclusive adds up. Learn from my mistake and do not purchase if you are worried about recovering travel costs due to illness.

Get buying tips about Travel Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2023

I have tried countless time to speak to someone about purchasing travel insurance. Every time I call I am told the wait time is 100+ minutes. I have left a callback number 8 times and no one ever calls back. Their customer service is completely nonexistent. I can only imagine how bad their claims process would be. Find anyone else to deal with but them.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2023

Allianz approved the claim, but has only paid out a fraction of what they owe me. Filed in July. After Better Business Bureau was involved a rep called me and "consolidated my information" for a reviewer to quickly approve. That was in October. Still no payment.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2023

I have previously bought medical insurance from Allianz and considered them trustworthy. I recently bought flight cancellation insurance from them through Aeroplan without access to the details of coverage. Coverage is for very obscure situations and did not actually cover cancellation of my flight based on 'changing my mind'. When I asked for a refund of the policy two weeks prior to the intended date of travel, this was also denied, and a 10 day window for cancellation after purchase of the policy was quoted to me. I have therefore paid $110 for a service which was never provided on a trip which I cancelled 12 days after booking and which has cost Allianz nothing. I'm not amused and will not be using Allianz again.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2022

Allianz does not have your back unless your problem is specifically and precisely described in the policy. Taking personal prescription narcotic pain medication thru customs in Egypt and getting "busted" and confiscated... ruining the entire trip is NOT covered. Heavy Indian accent "no sir, this is not covered in the policy" is what you will hear. "Do you want to file a claim otherwise?" Anyone but Allianz from now on. Buyer beware.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2022

I am a fan of Kayak and use it all the time to plan travel at least 4-5 times a year. Unfortunately, my recent experience with one of its partners for car rental has been poor. In November I rented a car for 10 days in Australia for March 2023, which was fully refundable. I opted for the additional car insurance using Allianz Insurance. To my shock, Allianz immediately charged my credit card $121 within 5 minutes of making the reservation. This is despite the reservation being almost 4 months in advance of the actual service.

As often happens, my plans changed and 2 days later I canceled the reservation. Only then did I discover that Allianz only allows for a refund in the first 15 days after making a reservation. For a traveler that cancels a month later, the fine print indicates that Allianz keeps the money without providing any service. In my case, they did send me an email allowing the refund but then took 30 days to actually refund the money to my credit card.

No travel company should not be doing business with service providers that charge travelers immediately and then restrict refunds to only the first 15 days. This is a scam if there ever was one. Allianz should only charge consumers a few days before the service is provided and not months in advance with very restrictive refund policies. I will never use its services again.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2022

I called over a month ahead of an event to cancel due to a medical crisis! They wanted proof!!! They wanted all the personal info from a doctor!!! This is illegal. And against my privacy laws!! I contacted Ticketmaster - they were kind and cancelled! No questions!! But not you!! Your customer service disgusted me. Along with your policy! When I bought the insurance- it never mentioned anything like this. Only when I went to file a claim. So you're receiving millions of people. I want a complete refund today or I’m making a legal complaint from you!! Asking for much more than the insurance money!!

Original review: Dec. 16, 2022

It was very easy to purchase an annual Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption Policy from Allianz Global Assistance; I made the mistake of purchasing a second annual plan when the first one expired, as we are retired and travel often. However, we sustained a Lost Baggage incident and had to purchase some basic items of clothing for my husband and myself for about $200. Our tour was to start the day after we arrived and we had only one day's worth of clothes and our 14-day Land Tour was about to begin. I never realized how difficult it would be to collect a few hundred dollars for the loss, after paying thousands of dollars for each of our policies to Allianz.

I went online in August 2022 to their website to file the claim and upload the receipts. I followed up with them by phone to ensure that the claim was complete but was told that more documents needed to be provided including verification from the Newfoundland Airport of the lost baggage. I provided that additional information as well. In September, I was told that they were very busy and that it would take time. In October, I spoke to a Manager who confirmed everything was in order and it would be a few days to complete the claims processing. In November, I get another email saying that I need to submit more forms. It is now December 2022 and I have exhausted my patience. In summary, Allianz loves to take your money for their insurance product but they won't pay you (in our case a few hundred dollars) when you have a valid claim. Do NOT do business with them, you will regret it!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2022

Allianz sent a check for about 1/2 of my claim. They gave no explanation of how they arrived at the amount. When I called they said that they could not email me a breakdown but would send via snail mail. They never sent anything. Customer service is poor. On hold for a long time and they cannot answer questions.

Allianz Global Assistance Company Information