2. Travel
  3. Travel Insurance

3.9/5 (533 ratings)

About Allianz Global Assistance

Allianz Global Assistance is one of the largest travel insurance companies and offers proven trip protection for vacations across the world. Allianz travel insurance helps cover the cost of delays, medical expenses and even cancellations. Plus, coverage also includes free access to assistance services like interpreters.

Pros

• Affordable price
  • Straightforward coverage
  • Multiple coverage levels
  • Worldwide assistance

Cons

• Can only cancel for specific reasons
  • Coverage not always flexible

Bottom Line

Allianz is an affordable travel insurance company with worldwide coverage. While Allianz doesn’t offer customizable or flexible coverage, its various coverage levels ensure most everyone will find a package for them.

Top Allianz Global Assistance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I truly appreciate you taking the time to talk to me and your heartfelt concerns dealing with my situation. This is what it supposed to feel like on the other line. Real human, re...

Verified

I submitted a request to received a refund for plane tickets to San Diego California in July 20. I'm in the military and I was unable to travel. It was a smooth process. I would l...

How does Allianz travel insurance work?

Allianz trip insurance policies come in three tiers: Basic, Prime and Premier. Basic includes trip cancellation and interruption benefits as well as some medical and baggage coverage. Prime offers somewhat expanded Basic benefits and free coverage of children under 17. Premier protection comes with all the Prime benefits as well as expanded post-departure benefits, including bag delay, change fees, concierge services and more. It also includes more reasons for cancellation.

Allianz can help you personalize coverage to mitigate risks that might occur based on the type of trip you’re taking. For example, you can choose to add rental car protection or medical insurance for an additional price. Customers who travel a lot can buy multi-trip or annual policies.

Using the Allianz app

With the free Allianz TravelSmart app, you get instant access to their coverage benefits anywhere in the world, which lets you file claims easily and stay a step ahead during travel. In an emergency, the app can help you locate a screened and approved medical facility immediately.

Allianz travel insurance cost

Allianz travel insurance plans start at just $23 per trip. The cost of travel insurance varies based on the travel destination, length of a vacation, what type of coverage is needed, the cost of the vacation, the age of the traveler and a few other factors.

For reference, we requested a quote for a five-day trip to Mexico and received a quote for $139 for Premier coverage, $84 for Prime and $62 for Basic. Because the company is so large, it can offer low prices while also guaranteeing payouts.

Keep in mind that cancellation insurance only covers unexpected events, not foreseeable ones. Talk to a company representative if you have any questions about what is covered by your policy.

Allianz Global Assistance FAQ

What is a covered reason for trip cancellation with Allianz?
Covered reasons include unexpected natural disasters, divorce, severe injury, death and other events.
Does Allianz travel insurance cover flight changes?
Yes, for covered reasons. Each policy will outline what reasons are covered.
Who owns Allianz?
Allianz Global Assistance is owned by Allianz SE in Munich, Germany.
How many countries does Allianz operate in?
Allianz travel insurance operates in more than 70 countries across the world.
How do I submit a claim to Allianz?
Travelers can either file a claim on the company’s website or with the Allianz TravelSmart app.

Is Allianz Global Assistance worth it?

Allianz Global Assistance is one of the largest travel insurance companies and offers the financial protection needed to travel confidently. The company provides a variety of options and tiers of coverage, so most travelers can find the right kind of travel insurance for their needs and budget. While some competitors do offer more flexibility and customization in their travel insurance, like adventure coverage or cancellations for any reason, Allianz’s low prices make the company a good choice for most travelers.

Allianz Global Assistance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allianz Global Assistance?

Original review: June 30, 2021

It was May 26, 2021. My personal experience was frustrating at the beginning. My claim was for Covid-19 reasons but before I went back and forth with Allianz and Airline. First the airline didn't want to change my flight because I booked for a basic flight ticket and Allianz was asking for a change confirmation from airline. I explained both my situation, none could do anything for their own reasons so I submitted a claim to Allianz explaining my problem again. I submit all documents Allianz requested and wait. I was able to track the claim status but no one contacted me after the first email they sent when claim was submitted.

After a month, on June 24, 2021, I got an email saying they were sending a payment of the total amount I paid. That was an awesome news. But I had the intrigue of "are they paying or not" for all this time. READ THE TERMS IN YOUR CONTRACT for your own sake please. With no insurance you risk to lose everything. With insurance you risk to lose everything too. Sometimes it's not the money and clothes, it's the documents and legal papers that we may or May not lose. In addition. I pray before I filed for the claim and it worked. Do what you gotta do but do it wise.

Original review: June 16, 2021

I purchased flight protection on my flight just in case, my traveling partner ended up getting seizures and being admitted into the hospital, it was horrible we were all so stressed out and didn’t know what to do because we couldn’t go on our planned vacation. The customer service and help that I got was awesome, it helped me so much and I definitely recommend this company for travel insurance!

Get buying tips about Travel Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2020

I purchased Trip Cancelation and Interruption Plan for the trip to Europe via Polish Airline and Rent-a-car in January with flight for July 18 2020 but I cancelled due to Covid-19 about 2 weeks prior departure. Polish Airline and Rent-a-car fully return the amount but ABC Express Inc. from Mississauga added Cancelation, administration, penalty fees and tax! I summited the application for added Cancelation, administration, penalty fees and tax! I was reimbursed today after about 6 months waiting for (understanding Covid-19 workload situation) and working from home also missing some of my information. It took me quite a few phone calls and taking one mail with the missing directly in to the receiving and delivery office. The final result was positive as they mail me home the exact amount I applied for! I was skeptical about Allianz but I was wrong!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2020

We have used Allianz in the past and this is the second time we have needed to file a claim. Both times Allianz reimbursed us and helped us with our travel issues. We had to cancel our trip this month due to health issues and after we sent the requested information, our claim was filed and closed within a few days. Very impressive! Not only do we recommend Allianz, we encourage travelers to protect their travel through them!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2020

I was planned to go to Vegas with my BFF. Unfortunately she got sick, really sick. They refunded my trip. I have been an Interval international member for many years. I have always purchased the insurance. Interval has always been great. I knew that they would only partner with the best. My BFF just finished her last rad. treatment, came thru and now mending. This company was awesome during a very difficult time.

Original review: July 8, 2021

I don't ever leave reviews, but I made an account just to post this one. JUST SAVE YOUR TIME AND MONEY!! I purchased baseball tickets for my family and bought this insurance because I have a 1 year old and you just never know. BUT it wasn't my son, it was actually me. I suddenly started getting weird symptoms and cancelled in advance and went to a DR. He then sent me to get testing done. The test were on the EXACT same day as the tickets. I sent in those results, they needed more, so my DR wrote me a letter, but no they need more. They keep asking for MORE AND MORE!!! This company is so crooked. They are horrible. It's been 2 almost 3 months!!!! Each time I send in a document they say 7-10 business days. This is a joke because it takes much longer than 7-10 business days! HORRIBLE. HORRIBLE. HORRIBLE.

Original review: July 2, 2021

Unfortunately I had a very bad experience with this company and I will never use them again. The doctor's excuse and doctor's note wasn't enough to aprove the claim. They keep asking for more and more documents from the doctors and others documents that weren't necesary. I truly believe that they want you to give up, so they won't have to pay the claim. They also asked me for all refunds documents to approve my claim, but I didnt have any refunds.

Original review: July 2, 2021

Impossible to speak with a human. Website is antiquated and redundant. My conclusion is, a COMPLETE SCAM. I provide all paperwork then they ask for more. While knowing you will not be able to obtain such paperwork. ZERO *. PONZI SCAM.

Original review: May 20, 2021

PLEASE READ MY REVIEW OF ALLIANZ TRAVEL BEFORE YOU PURCHASE. I ticked the box for insurance when I booked my Air Transat flight. On my return leg from Toronto to Manchester I arrived home and my luggage didn’t. The telephone number given on their website was incorrect, the same telephone number was also on my cover letter and I was also given a new number to call from customer service and that was also incorrect. I kept getting through to the International Medical Emergency Hotline. Brilliant isn't it. How could that possibly happen? That was 3 years ago and l have not received a penny back or any sign of my luggage, and that after filling in all their forms and supplying all the information I had.

The thing is that every time you call or send anything in they have 3 weeks to reply. They do reply, exactly 3 weeks later, so you ask something else, or send someone an email... and guess what? That’s right, they take exactly 3 weeks to answer you. Got themselves covered. So eventually l got through to someone who transferred me and the claim started, I sent in all my receipts, that what I could find. You see you don’t really keep all your receipts just in case your luggage disappears on a direct flight. I sent in what l had by post. 6 weeks later I get a letter saying because they haven’t heard from me they cancelled my claim but l can try again if I want to.

Now I’ve been in lockdown with the rest of country and short of money l decided to try again. This time l went and did it all online. Sure enough 3 weeks later l got an email. It said, "Thanks for requesting information on how to claim"... and they sent me the forms to fill in again. I am not making this up. I had sent them 3 years ago; and then sent them all filled in again online... only to get an email thanking me for requesting the same forms.

So what, I am back to square one, which I am sure is just what they want. How they get away with this... So basically my insurance wasn’t worth the paper it was written on. What a huge scam from a big big company. If anyone reads this before they make their purchase or indeed have any dealings with Allianz or Air Transat. DON'T. Oh and Air Transat also ignored all the emails about this that I sent to them, no help at all. I mean Air Transat also provided me with a telephone number that was incorrect for allianz.

If you lose your bags you are not protected from the airline or your insurance. The total I was covered for is also in the small print. It was for £1500. They don't say pay $15 for $1500 worth of cover. You just get a choice to tick a box to accept the insurance, and the small print comes later. My contents were worth more than that anyway, not that l got back a penny... and I know I never will.

Original review: May 14, 2021

I bought travel insurance for a flight on 3/14/21 on American Airlines. The flight was due to leave at 7:00am. After sitting on the tarmac for 3 hours due to mechanical problems, we finally were able to get off the plane and wait for parts to fix. At about 4:15 pm, our flight was canceled after being in the airport all day. American could not guarantee the flight would leave the next day either so we booked with another airline for the next day. We lost one day of our vacation and asked for a refund for the flight, one night hotel say and $10 parking. Allianz denied our claim saying as long as they could get us to our destination within 48 hours they were not liable. What a waste of money. We got better results filing a claim through our credit card company.

Allianz Global Assistance Company Information