2.08/5
Based on 195 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

219 Cooper Tires Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 27, 2018

Went one size wider for my 15” on my 99 Mustang - vastly improved handling - great tires, made here in America and bought and maintained by Discount Tire.

Original review: June 26, 2018

I've been using Cooper Tires for many years with almost zero tire failure. Very good tire and overall warranty. I would recommend them to anyone. I buy mine from Big Brand Tires in Bakersfield, CA.

Get expert buying tips about Tires delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 24, 2018

Tires are great anti hydroplane. Tread life above average very quiet. My 2nd set of Cooper Discoverer Srx. Handling is so so plus they're aesthetically appealing on most trucks I see.

Original review: June 23, 2018

Tires are generally a good value. This is 2nd set. Wear seems to be fair, but performance on SUV is very good. Great on snow, and very quiet on dry.

Original review: June 22, 2018

I have purchased tires at Fred Harz & Son, Elmer, NJ 08318 for >40 years. Whether for business or personal use, their service & brand/model recommendations have been consistently exceptional. They sell many brands, >10, & for many years their recommended Cooper Tires have performed very well for me, family & friends I have sent to Harz. Coopers are also an excellent value, usually below the price of other brands. Love 'em!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cooper?

Original review: June 21, 2018

Cooper Tire 235/45R17 CS5 Ultra Touring 94W Tread wear: 50,000 mile tread. Purchased new, $155 each. 2004 Volvo V70 station wagon. Tires have been driven 21,151 miles in 15 months. Three alignments done. Approximately 4-6 rotation and balances done, because the tires won't stay balanced. These tires never stayed balanced. They have always had a small vibration. On cool and cold mornings, the vibration was very bad.

I replaced front struts, rear shocks, wheels, control arms, ball joints, tie rods, CV shafts, sway-bar links, brake rotors, and engine mounts. None of these replacements corrected the vibration. I believe the tires were manufactured poorly. I have not hit a curb or pothole. The separation is occurring along a channel that can be seen on both the inner and outer sidewalls. This tire is still available, although it has been discontinued. My concern is that the other tires may have the same results.

Original review: June 19, 2018

The tire has an attractive design that handles well in both rain and snow. I just had my first winter with these tires and I could not be more pleased with handling in snow and on icy roads. The tires grip the wet surface nicely including with stopping and starting. All in all a sound, deeply threaded tire with a decent ride.

Original review: June 17, 2018

The tire has a great wear capability but stopping in wet weather and especially snow is terrible. Bought tires at Sears. According to rating they were supposed to be good in wet weather but they are not.

Original review: June 16, 2018

Have been I using Cooper tires for years and have them on both our vehicles. Very happy with the way these tires ride and perform and get many miles of tread wear.

Original review: June 15, 2018

I have always put Michelin tires on my cars but this time after reading about tires I purchased Cooper Discovery STX tires and absolutely love them. They are smooth and perform perfectly!

Original review: June 14, 2018

This is my 2nd set of Cooper tires on my 4x4 Ford Ranger. I had Firestone (OEM), Michelin (Ford Recall Replacements), & Goodyear. The best of those three was the Goodyear for durability & the Michelin for Performance. These are one size larger than OEM tires and outperform and outlast all three of the previous tires, and they cost less! The tire in question is: MasterCraft Coursar LT 265 R75 16. Very good ride quality, durable wearing (Averaged 63,500 mile w/ 10% residual tread), Highway driving 75%, Gravel/Dirt/Off Road 25%, Great traction on Dry, Wet, Snow & Ice covered roadways. My 1999 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 Off Road Pkg currently has 283,050 miles on it.

Original review: June 13, 2018

Cooper tires are every bit as good as Michelin's tires. I bought way too many tires before I learned that. Factory tires are almost always crap because corporate greed is an evil thing.

Original review: June 12, 2018

Made in USA!!! By union workers! A better value too! We would buy these tires again!! They keep USA working to provide for their families and communities!

Original review: May 24, 2018

When changing my winter tires I noticed a bulge on side of one tire. Only had 3 months driving on them. Took it to the shop I purchased it from and was told he had to send it to Saskatoon for warranty. Was informed after calling 4 weeks later not covered. Will never buy Cooper again or deal with this shop.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

I bought a 2006 Pontiac Vibe with Cooper Tires. Tread was good about 85%. I took the car on the highway and noticed a vibration so annoying went to Sears to get them balanced and alignment but the problem didn't go away. Went to another tire shop. Told me replace 2 front tires and a wheel. They were wrong. Lucky I didn't let them. Then went to Sullivan Tire shop. Told me one rear tire road force was too high. Other 3 were OK and to just drive the car like that till all tires warm out and only thing they could do was to balance them. They should have recommended me to get new tires but didn't. So went to a used tire shop to get new tires as they sell them cheaper with good brands and OMG so relived car runs better now. No more vibration! I will never trust Cooper Tires.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

Cooper ATV - My Discount Tire Store recommended these tires for the gravelly roads in Our area. Price was good and very good warranty. So can I say, best tires have ever had on My Xterra. Though heavy feeling at first, soon got used to how they float over the rocky roads out here. Will see how they wear in time. A good buy for sure.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

I was doing my maintenance on my tires after they were rotated during my oil change, tire pressure was a couple pounds low. I conducted a visual inspection and found all my tires had cracks between the tread patterns, only 15k miles on them. I contacted Cooper and they said they were 100 guaranteed for from cracks for 4 years. They told me I have to have my sales person call Cooper to get an authorization for replacement. The sales person heard the same thing I did, 100 guaranteed. It took a couple weeks to get the tires in, I was called by the tire company I bought them saying there were in and ready.

What a surprise I got when they told me it would cost me somewhere around 619 dollars. What!!! I was told 100 guaranteed, because I had used their faulty tires for 15k they were going to charge me mileage on the bad tires. I will not buy Cooper again. I should of bought the Big O brand which is made from Cooper but was told they would have replaced them.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

I've been through several sets of Cooper CS4 tires on a 2006 Nissan Murano and a 2003 Ford Taurus wagon. The tires have been zero trouble, ride quietly and beautifully. In the Murano, which sits high because it's a crossover SUV body style, these tires do a really good job of maintaining control around curves. The tires don't squish or skate sideways. The body rolls like it should and the tires stay nice and firm on the road and pull out of the curve great. On snow or rain, they are also excellent.

BUT... FORGET getting 80,000 miles out of these tires, which is the warranty mileage. 40,000 is more like it. To be fair, I do not religiously rotate my tires every 6000 - 8000 miles like they say you should. I do it once a year or so, when the car is in for some other service. So I could probably get more out of these tires if I rotated them more. And forget getting any kind of warranty compensation out of Cooper unless you have had all the rotations done by a service center (not yourself), and you have printed records of the rotations. Without that, they won't honor any warranty at all. I will probably keep using them because the performance is excellent, and they can be had for well under $150/tire in the larger 18" rim size I need, which is a good price for a tire like this.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

I own a collision and mechanical shop. We have always purchased Cooper Tires for our customers. All of a sudden at the beginning of 2017 we started having issues with the Cooper CS5 tires; customers were complaining of bulges on the sides of their tires. We even had two elderly customers have blowouts. We were told by our distributor that it was the way we were mounting the tires. Now we never had an issue with any other tire we mounted and balanced. I have replaced several customers tires at no cost to them. Cooper refuses to reimburse us. There is obviously an issue with the tires. We have since switched to Firestone and have not had one single problem.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I purchased Cooper AT3 tires for my truck and after one month they performed very poorly. I complained to Cooper for 5 months to exchange the tires, they never did. And their customer service very hard to deal with, Cooper's warranty doesn't mean anything to the consumer. I will never buy Cooper tires again. Don't buy Cooper tires!!!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

Cooper Discoverer A/T 3 - I purchased a four tire set for my Toyota 4-Runner less than a month ago, and today the right rear sidewall blew out on the tire while traveling on the interstate, did not run over anything just a sidewall failure, just unbelievable! I did a Google search on these tires and that "Blew My Mind". 198 sidewall blowouts!

Original review: June 30, 2017

I have a set (Cooper Discoverer AT3) on my Dodge Ram 2500 with a Cummins diesel. I have pulled a 26ft travel through mud and snow with them without a problem. Noise isn't an issue because the engine makes more noise than the tires. They perform well on dry and wet roads. I have over 50,000 miles on them now. Will buy another set when the time comes. Great tire.

Original review: June 14, 2017

This tire is one of the best for the money out there. I have owned a set since 2014 for over three years. This tire has performed excellently. I purchased a new set in 2014 and have put over 30,000 miles on them and they still have 3/4 of the tread left. Very nice American owned and made tire. I will purchase again.

Original review: April 13, 2017

I purchased 4 new Cooper Discoverer Tire in March 2017. Was told that there was a $70.00 rebate when purchasing 4. Sent for rebate and was told that since the Riverside auto in New Bern NC had not signed up as participating dealers, I would not get a rebate. This is clearly false advertising and I would not have bought these tires as the rebate was the motivation for choosing this tire. Nothing was mentioned in the misleading advertising about having to be in with a participating dealer. Apparently they do not care who they screw. After reading the other reviews I would never buy Cooper Tires again. Do not buy Cooper Tires ever!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2017

Three years ago I purchased their 80k tires for my 2004 Toyota Prius. I expected that I would not have to replace them for some time. HOW WRONG WAS!!! When I went to my Toyota dealer (Curry in Croton on RT 6) the tires had ~30k on them, was told that the tires were worn out, and needed to be replaced. Toyota point blank refused to do anything (other than to sell me new tires), and finally told me I had to contact Cooper myself to see if they would at least prorate then for replacement.

That was more than 2 months ago, and to date I have been unable to find a way to contact Cooper so that my situation with their tires could be resolved. I feel that contact with them is designed so that you give up in frustration, and that they are just taking advantage so they can make more profit and to heck with customer support. As a 73 year old senior I am at my wits end with what amount to not getting customer service, but only getting customer DISSERVICE.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2017

I have never written a review before, but feel compelled to do so now. I own several classic cars ranging from the 50s to the 90s. I have purchased many different brands of tires over the years and have had good to not so good luck with them. I always maintain the proper air pressure in these tires. And my vehicles are stored properly. I purchased 4 new Cooper Trendsetter SE P205/70R15 White Wall tires about 2 years ago now, for my 1990 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz. I HAVE HAD NOTHING BUT BAD LUCK WITH THESE TIRES. Out of the 4 tires, within the first 6 months TWO tires developed an egg shaped bubble on the area of the white wall. I contacted "Cooper Tire" and was advised to contact the business that I purchased the tires from. And was also told that it would be "Unsafe" to drive on these tires. They offered NO other solution.

I complained to the business that I purchased the tires from. I won't mention any names (they restore rims, but sell tires on the side). She was very nice but, it took me over SIX MONTHS to finally get an exchange for the two tires. She, the owner, keep telling me that her supplier, in Miami wouldn't return her calls. What I believe, she finally did was, ordered the new replacement tires, put them on my car and "ate" the price of the old ones. And in the meantime, was advised by "Cooper Tire" not to drive on these tires. For what took 6 months, really? About a year later, with less than 7 thousand miles on them the vehicle started to develop a front end side to side wobble. I have had the front suspension and a 4 wheel alignment done on this car just prior to buying the new tires at Weber Wheel Alignment here in Lake Worth. They are the best since 1952.

Recently, I took the car to another local well-respected auto shop to have the tires balanced. They told me that 3 tires could be balanced but the 4th could not. He showed me a video that he took as he tried to computer balance that tire, and it was clear that the steel belts had shifted, or started separating, which was causing the wobble. The next day, today, 02/10/17 he called me and said that he has located a new tire for my car to replace this bad one. So out of the 4 new tires that I purchased about two years ago, three out of the 4 so far had to be replaced. These are THE WORST TIRES I HAVE EVER HAD. I'm so sad and very disappointed with them. If I could have purchased white walls from another brand at the time, I would have done so.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2017

Submitted rebate online and got a submission number, was doing taxes and found the receipt and realized that I never got the rebate money. Called and they said they emailed me and that that coupon was over in June. So basically they made no real attempt to contact me since they have your phone number also, and their email was probably sent to spam. That is why they do this, to ensure they don't have to actually back up their promotions.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2017

Really happy with my purchase of Cooper tire discoverer 17's. They got a really great warranty, and I found that these tires are much more cheaper in price than much of your Chinese brand tires. Do your homework before buying your next set of tires.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2017

It's a shame to waste time believing that Cooper Tires is running with honesty. I should know better, so I thought they really were going to send me the Visa Prepaid Card for $70 as advertised after purchasing 4 tires and sending the paperwork on time. Their 1st claim is that they never received the papers by US Mail, then they didn't receive the fax; finally they decline the offer. This is ridiculous and they should be ashamed of the way they conduct biz like Banana Republic.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2017

I have 225/60-18, SUV tires, all weather CS5 which I got for the tread life, low noise and it's American sourced. It's a Good all around tire, excellent wet weather performance. Bought tires for trip to Fla and got a great price at Tire Pros in RI.

Cooper expert review by Lauren Fix

Cooper Tires may not be as well known as some of the other tire companies, but they have a 100-year history in the tire business. Today, Cooper Tires is a global company with over 65 facilities around the world.

• Tire navigator: Search for tires by year, make and model to see a list of options complete with customer reviews.

• Availability: Cooper Tires are sold through most major U.S. tire retailers such as NTB, Big O and Sears.

• Extensive warranty: Though there are limitations, the Cooper Tires warranty covers free replacement under certain conditions, tread wear protection and a 45-day road test period.

• Learning center: Cooper Tires has an extensive area of their website dedicated to education including a video library featuring race car driver Johnny Unser.

• Tire rewards: The Cooper Tires Tire Rewards site offers discounts, specials and rebates on many models of tires.

• Best for: Sports car and high-end vehicle drivers, extreme performance, touring, winter, run-flats, light truck and SUV drivers and passenger vehicle drivers.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix

Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Cooper Tires Company Information

Cooper
701 Lima Ave
Findlay
OH
coopertire.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business