1.20/5
Based on 41 reviews that contain star ratings

Looking for a Texas electricity company?

42 Green Mountain Energy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

Disconnect service for less than 10 dollars is just downright shameful. This company is really just trash. None of your reps speak very good English so you can understand them, the service is spotty and crap and when I make a mistake and miss I kid you not 10 dollars you disconnect the service! Never again will I do business with you people!!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

When my husband transferred electricity our electricity account from our previous company to Green Mountain. It was told us that it would be an increase of only 8% of our bills. For the very first 3 months it was fine the little increase as we knew about that but after these months the bill went up to over 100% of increase compared to the same period in the last year. Because the bill was too high I tried to reduce my best the consumption of electricity by turning down the air conditioner. We don't have TV, I also started to wash the dishes by hand and still our bill came over more than double of the price of last year. I do recycle and I'm very concerned about helping the planet but I'm very disappointed with this company because of the lack of their transparency and dishonesty. Total of damage: over 550.00 dollars.

Get expert buying tips about Texas Electricity Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

I personally will not be recommending Green Mountain to anyone ever again. I have been charged a vacant fee 6 times in my 7 months (I am a leasing consultant and also a resident at the community I work at). I was told that through Green Mountain I would get a discount on usage. I created an account on February 22, 2018 and received a confirmation email. Two full months go by and I'm then hit with a $50 vacant fee charge for electric. I was never contacted by Green Mountain (although my phone number, address and email are on the confirmation email) to inform me of any issues. My manager suggested that I contact our Green Mountain rep and I emailed her on May 2, 2018.

After waiting 13 days (even with my manager reaching out her as well) she finally let me know that someone would be reaching out to me to help with my account. She also said that she would send a gift card to cover the 1st vacant fee charge of $50. I then spoke with an agent for over an hour on the phone trying to figure out how to get Green Mountain service and was given a new account number. I never received another call, email or mailed letter from anyone at Green Mountain. The vacant service fee was charged again in June 2018 but not charged to my ledger for the month July 2018 (I assume because of the new account) but reappears August, September and twice on October 2018.

The vacant fees that was charged twice and the vacant electric charges in October ($293.15 alone) has caused my rent to go above my allowance and I will be forced to borrow from family to pay my rent. And I'm pretty sure that I'm not being charged the proper ¢ per kWh* for energy used, as promised all this time. I have spent $300 extra with Green Mountain because of fees, although I have attempted more than once to have service and correct any confusion. I am more than disappointed with Green Mountain, as I have been pushing their service and believed that they were a judicious company. 70% of the people that signed up for Green Mountain from December 2017 have been from my recommendation alone. I even created the information sheet to include Green Mountain as the recommended energy provider. I have given Green Mountain my business, only to be taken advantage of by the same company.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I signed up for Green Mountain energy after talking to a representative at one of my local malls. Upon signing that day I got a free $10 Sears gift card and I was helping the environment by switching a green energy supplier. The first few months I didn't notice much changes to my bill from my previous supplier. I have my electricity bill set to auto pay so it gets paid on time and I don't review every single bill since I'm using about the same amount of electricity that I always have. Well, wrong move on my part. Looked about the bills over the summer and they were more than $100 than what I would normally pay. I called my local electricity provider to see if there was a mistake and there was not, I found out that was paying about 3 times as much as I what would normally pay. I understand supporting the environment could cost a little extra, but not 3X the regular rate.

Called Green Mountain and they stated you have to call them and negotiate a rate or your bill will go up every month. They don't contact you or remind you that you need to negotiate a better rate, they basically just jack the price up if you don't call. Extremely shady way of doing business, especially from a company that is supposed to do good by helping the environment. Stay away from Green Mountain unless you like paying 3X the normal rate. Also, don't be fooled by gift cards and other incentives unless you call can cancel after 2 months or get locked in at a rate you like.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

I reported no response about overcharging on my bill. July 30 to September 5 l was not home. Nobody home. All light cut off and some electronic off in the house. My bill is the same charges like am at home cook every day. I called for inquiries. It's was ignore and no response. And l paid the bill anyway. Account number **. This ripoff, spam, need investigation on this. Something went wrong. No weekly used send to my mail to see how much electric current l used. Ripoff.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Green Mountain Energy?

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I took the connection from them as my landlord asked me to buy from them. I did not have much idea on the price. My bill was more than double compared to my friends' bill. So I called them and they said that they will transfer me to their "best plan". Still the bill did not go down. So I cancel their services and purchased from another provider. They are the total rip off. They probably band with the landlord and give them the commission. STAY AWAY FROM THEM.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

Buying energy has become a never ending, continuous process that requires the consumer pay VERY close attention to the details - and be prepared to make changes or switch suppliers whenever your monthly energy statement goes off the rail. Such is the case with Green Mountain Energy. We signed up at a movie theater in December 2017. First statement seemed appropriate. So was the second, or so we thought. Then Green Mountain somehow forgot to invoice West Penn Power (what a nice surprise - NOT!) - until next month when Green Mountain exercised their "right to raise the rates up to 30%" and billed us for the missed period, plus the following current period (OUCH!!). I didn't check carefully and their rates keep going up.

We had enough as of today. From $166 to $251 in a single month for the same approximate usage, to now at $400 - This is highway robbery (their latest billing jumped another 50% from 0.10 to 0.144 per kWh -- way outside their "no more than 30%" statements). A word to the wise, watch the details every month. Sad that we've gotten to this point.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

Horrible customer service!!! I was charged twice in February for a credit card system that was having issues. Since I did not want to be late and incur late fees, I tried ACH. It took payment via ACH & debit card same day. I was proactive and called Green Mountain upon noticing they charged my debit card even though their system said it could not process. When I called upon noticing the double charge, I was told by customer service they could not reverse 1 of the payments. That was completely WRONG. There is no reason under those circumstances that no one at that company could reverse 1 of the payments! July 27th 2018 I receive my bill and it shows that they were charging me not only the amount for February AGAIN, but also a "returned payment" fee of $25. I called Green Mountain and spoke with a "Manager" named Jose ID #** extremely rude! His response to the $25 fee "It's only $25".

My response to him was since he thinks it's no big deal HE can pay it then! I was so disgusted I had to call back. Spoke with Caroline. She told me to have my bank statements ready to submit and someone will contact me by Tuesday July 31. It's Saturday August 4th! NO ONE called. I call Green Mountain again. Speak with Guadalupe. She tells me it will be 1-2 billing cycles for Green Mountain to investigate and I WOULD HAVE TO CALL BACK. Excuse Me??? I asked for a supervisor and was "disconnected". Call back again immediately. Get Kim on the phone. Asked for a supervisor since Guadalupe was supposed to get one on phone with me and instead hung up on. She insists she can help me. Did I not ask for a supervisor? Had to explain it all yet again to Kim. She is telling me it takes 15 days to research I needed to call back then. Why do I have to keep calling???

I was told and deserve a call back from Green Mountain as promised! It's also a simple idea called CUSTOMER SERVICE! I am paying your company for a service. My money and every other customers money not only helps Green Mountain pay their salaries, but without customers they would not be in service! I asked if Green Mountain now going to pay for my time with over 4 hours in phone calls between 2 calls I had to make to resolve a problem that I have been proactive from the start? So again I had to reiterate, "DID I NOT ASK YOU FOR A SUPERVISOR?". So she sends me to Daniel, a "supervisor", ID **. Once again I have to explain it all over to him. He now tells me it will take 1-2 billing cycles to resolve but should not be more than 21 business days. I can call back then or no sooner than 16 business days from now. Why am I getting so many conflicting statements???

Also WHY DO I HAVE TO KEEP CALLING YOU??? That is NOT customer service. Daniel's answer was "because they have 300 calls in queue now and such a high call volume they can't call the customers." Are you kidding me??? He also was so kind to tell me "I am free to find another provider". Wow! Okay Green Mountain! I WILL find another provider. And I hope a large enough percentage of your customers do, thus putting you out of business. What abusive customer service you have! I will send you a bill for MY TIME and see you in court when you don't pay it! No problem! Apparently your customers only matter as much as they make their payments versus being the heart of your business that allows you to profit!

Original review: July 3, 2018

I initially signed up with Green Mountain at the Phipps Conservatory at their table there. The staff there courteous and polite. The initial rate was surprisingly reasonable for fully renewable power, less than 1 cent/kWh above the standard rate. The problem I have with the company is that a few months after signing up, my bills increased by a large amount to 50% above the initial teaser rater rate over the course of 2-3 months.

I expected some price increase although the increase seemed excessively large and rapid. Looking back at the contract, the rate was within the stated maximum increase of 30% per month, although I was surprised they basically raised it by the maximum amount. I would be willing to pay a little more for the green power, although their approach seems a bit dishonest. I would rather they be more upfront with the true cost of renewable energy through them. I had seen similar reviews of this company but figured I'd give them the benefit of the doubt.

Original review: June 26, 2018

A door to door salesman came to my home. Convinced me that I would save money switching to them. He also told me they would pay my disconnect fee with my current provider. They did not pay my disconnect fee without a fight. I had to contact TX Utility Com. Then they only gave me a credit. I still had to pay my previous provider. I just got my 1st bill & it is 2x's higher than my Spark energy bill would have been. Beware! Do not change services. My bill is $245. I sit in the dark house at night & work all day. This is outrageous!

Original review: May 8, 2018

Stay away from this company at all costs. They supplement their good rates by not posting payments on time and then popping you with late fees and disconnect notice fees. After checking with my bank to verify when checks were deposited I have found out that each payment I made was deposited the day after the due date. I use online bill pay through BOA and have no problems with payments showing up a day late to any other vendors so I know that system works. On my last bill the payment was due on Friday 4/16, the check was deposited, according to BOA, on Monday 4/19. James at Green Mountain confirmed that the payment was posted to my account on the 20th.

On the 23rd a disconnect notice was supposedly sent and a disconnect fee assessed along with a late payment fee. Additional fees total about 10% of the bill. My bill shows that the payment was posted on the 27th. A full week after they actually posted it and 8 days after they deposited the check. I was informed that they have no grace period, however they can't tell me what day the payment was received just what day they got it posted which is a day after it was deposited but they don't have a grace period of one day? Run, don't walk from this company.

They are incompetent, at best, at handling money and I suspect, at worst, they are doing this little maneuver they've done with me in order to supplement their income with late fees and such. If you already have their service inspect your bill carefully and check with your bank to see when they actually deposited their payments. They are hoping you either won't pay any attention to the fees or won't take the time to call them out on it. When you call in and get the phone tree you are allowed to chose to take a survey at the end of your call but no one there knows how to put you through to the survey at the end of the call. Total incompetence.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I had Green Mountain Energy at an apartment that I moved into because the apartment complex recommended them. Their rates were a little expensive but they claim to help the environment, so whatever. The problem came when I moved out of my apartment to my new house. I called to get my service transferred and was on the phone for about a half hour before being told they couldn't find my new address in their system. A month later I find that I'm still being charged at my old address so I called to get it taken care of and the agent I spoke to "Carlos" told me he had no record of a call. About 15 minutes of me insisting that I called he was able to find the call and stated that since I had wanted to transfer my service and didn't specially say to cancel it they left it running and couldn't do anything about it.

I asked to speak to his supervisor and he told me he was the supervisor and no one else was available. About 10 minutes after insisting I was finally able to speak to his supervisor who stated it was a bad situation and understood it seemed like bad customer service to me but she couldn't do anything. Moral of the story, save yourself the headache and go with someone else for electricity. If you're worried about the environment take the money you save by using a different service and donate it to an environment charity. You'll be happier for it.

Original review: March 14, 2018

Absolutely the most incompetent customer service people. Paid my bill and 4 days later electricity was disconnected. They show no record of bill being paid. Call Wells Fargo and funds were taken of 73.00 dollars. Had to pay bill again and 200 reconnect fee. So now the hassle of going and faxing proof of payment and all. Horrible company and you cannot get a hold of anyone in corporate office!!!

Original review: March 2, 2018

Sometimes they are not always right, I have found discrepancies in my bill. I have thought about seeking another company as soon as my contract is up.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

So I moved to new apt and I had to assign a new energy provider. I did my search and called several companies to see what the best deal I may get. These guys offered me a deal "which I thought is good first" because I suppose to pay quite low if my consumption was less than 1000 kW. And if I consumed more than 1000 kW it will be pumped up to six times more. I asked the agent who had worked this plan for me, if she can give me a rough estimation for the consumption of an individual lives by himself with no kids, eating outside all the time, and don't use oven or cooker, she said you rarely hit 1000 kW a month... I end up paying four times more what I thought I gonna pay each month, the whole plan was a scam.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

They start with low rate and after that the company raise their rate to very high rate compare to other suppliers. I never received a bill more than $200 when I was with Com-Ed. Now I am receiving bills over $300. I am switching back to Com-Ed and never change my supplier again.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

I was with Green Mountain Energy during the time of Harvey. The area I lived in was flooded so I couldn't enter my apartment for 2 weeks. Green Mountain charged me and wouldn't credit my account after speaking with several agents. After Harvey I was displaced like everyone affected by the storm. They have sent the bill to collections. After being notified about the account in collections, I spoke to an agent at Green Mountain again, she had the nerve to tell me that they have customers who pay electric at 2 properties. Meaning they have electric for a property they use and rarely use.

I quickly stopped her and explained that it is not the same thing. I couldn't believe that actually came out of her mouth. How insensitive. It's a choice to have 2 properties, but not a choice to be unable to reach your residence during and after a storm with 3 feet of water in your place. There are many other electric companies out there to choose from and also I never saved money using Green Mountain.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

I was enrolled with promise that I would save on my bill. Instead it went up doubled. I called and Jessica told me it was a error and will send me the difference. Never got it. Called back and she told me it can take up to 2 billing cyles. Again never happen so I canceled and then she told me I forfeit the refund. Told her I will go to Attorney General and she told me go ahead. This is a company that is a scam and go after people.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

We have been with Green Mountain for about a year and a half and recently they opened up an account under someone else's name under our address. I called them when we received our first bill under someone else's name with our address on it and they told me not to worry about it and that they were gonna take care of it and that I didn't even need to call in the first place. I waited a few weeks and received another bill under that person's name and still no bill under my husband's name. So I called once again cause my husband looked at his account and his balance was $0 so he couldn't pay a bill even if he wanted to. They told me the same thing. They were gonna take care of it.

I told them I needed to call cause they were sending a disconnection notice under that person's name and I couldn't afford to be out of electricity with my kids in the home but there was nothing I could do about it. They said it was under investigation and it would probably take a few weeks to fix it cause they hadn't found a solution to their problem. Once again told don't worry about it, that I'll receive a letter in the mail soon with my husband's name on it and since the bill was backed up if anything I had to call back to set up a payment plan if we couldn't pay it all in full. Waited another few weeks and received yet another bill in that person's name. Didn't call cause they told me not to call anymore that they were gonna fix it.

The next day my electricity gets shut off. I call them and tell them I have been waiting for them to fix the problem and the lady tells me they hadn't even attempted to fix the problem since I last called. They didn't even put a hold on shutting off my electricity even though they told me they wouldn't since it was their fault we couldn't pay our bills. Nobody could help me with what they had done. They even talked to their supervisor and apparently couldn't touch our account cause a referral had been sent out and that it could take up to 2 bill cycles before they could even restore my electricity.

Once again if I hadn't called at all when they told me I never needed to call my electricity was shut off cause of their mistake. If they just "investigated" with switching names on service as much as they do after they caused a problem they probably wouldn't have a problem. I was left with one choice. Either wait up to 2 months to get my electricity back on or start a new plan that cost more than the plan we were originally on. I switched companies. Basically customer service will not help you and you are on your own when it comes to their mistakes. I do not recommend this company.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I was with TXU paying $80 a month, Green Mountain came by and assured I would pay half as much with them. Well me and my dumb self believed it and now I pay from $110-$160.00 a month with them. I called customer service and weren't able to do anything about it. I asked to speak with a supervisor and I was told the same thing, then I asked for the corporate office number and was told that there is no corporate office for them. Very bad company, very expensive. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY AT ALL. 1 star is WAAAYYY too high to give to them due to the amount they charge per KW and due to the poor customer service.

Original review: July 20, 2017

I've been with Green Mountain Energy for a few months now and I had my account setup on auto pay. This month I had an unexpected medical expense come up so I called to request an extension on my bill. The representative told me that I could pay my bill the next week. So I was really surprised when my bill was drafted out before the date the representative and I agreed upon.

So I called again to see why and they explain to me that since I was setup on auto pay they could not stop the payment going thru. I was very upset and stressed up because this caused my bank account to be overdrafted and I was charged overdraft fees. The rep then assured me that they would credit my account since it was an error on they part... Long story straight it's been several days later and they have yet to credit my account and I'm still being charged over draft fees. WHAT A NIGHTMARE. I would NEVER recommend Green Mountain to anyone ever!!! This has been the WORST experience ever. I'm basically paying for their errors.

Original review: July 3, 2017

I concluded my 12-month residential electricity contract with Green Mountain Energy Company on June 22, 2017. I needed a Letter of Credit from Green Mountain to avoid paying a deposit to my new provider. I called Green Mountain and requested the letter. I received the letter on June 23, 2017, and it stated that I had two late payments in the previous twelve months. This came as a surprise to me considering I was on "Auto-Pay" with Green Mountain and my monthly bills were submitted to my Chase Visa routinely without incident.

I spoke with a representative from Green Mountain on June 27, 2017, to resolve this issue. The Green Mountain representative informed me that my July bill was due on August 11th and Chase paid it on August 12th, and my September bill was due on October 11th and Chase paid it on October 12th. Thus, my Letter of Credit stated I had two late payments. The Green Mountain representative suggested I contact Chase about this apparent discrepancy and she refused to remove the two late payments from my letter.

Later that day, I spoke with a representative from Chase Visa and was told that they only have a record of the process dates (8/12/16 and 10/12/16) and no errors were recorded. As a consumer, I feel I am at a distinct disadvantage because I cannot prove when these requests for payment were actually made by Green Mountain. This seems like a simple matter that could be resolved with little effort. Both bills were paid, and I had no control over when Green Mountain submitted them.

Original review: June 26, 2017

I signed up with Green Mountain Energy at a Sears near me because I wanted a less expensive rate than BG&E. It was sometime last year. There seemed to not be any problems with my account until I received the June bill from BG&E. I was charged $55.76 for BG&E electric delivery! I sent an email to Green Mountain to cancel and to switch me back to BG&E. I received a response stating that they will. I am so sorry for those who associated themselves with this company. I hope all issues will be resolved.

Original review: June 23, 2017

I talked to a Green Mountain sales person at a trade show. He fed me the sales pitch. I told him I was only interested in more information, not switching. He asked for some basic info which he entered into a tablet. A few days later I get a card in the mail saying I have authorized switching my energy account over to Green Mountain. I call in to let Green Mountain Energy know I did not authorize the switch. The customer service reps give you a run around type confirmation. I called back to make sure I was not switched. Then I am told I will be returned to my original provider after two business cycles.

The sales person I spoke with is Jay **. He lied and he is crooked. I think the entire organization might be crooked. Don't walk away from Green Mountain Energy, and their "renewable and affordable" service. Run! And learn from my mistake, don't give out personal info at trade show booths or to any sales people at stores, events, etc.

Original review: June 9, 2017

On May 13th, 2017 I went to the Houston Pet Expo and stopped to chat with Green Mountain Energy. The representative told me they had a promotion going on; he wanted to know if I was interested in switching providers. I was interested and told him I was on contract with my current provider until 6/22/17. He extended their promotion, took down my information and said I had until 6/22/17 to join with them. Then I received an e-mail the next day talking about the promotion in the subject title. I never opened it. Until today. When I wanted to investigate their rates now that my current contract is expiring soon.

That. A-hole. He signed me up for their service to begin 6/22/17. I don't know even know how that is legal or possible. I signed no paperwork other than entering my contact information. I called and canceled. I didn't seem to have any problems with that. I did demand that they e-mail me proof of my cancellation. I haven't received it yet. But I'll never in my lifetime mess these con artists again. If I hadn't finally read that e-mail I'd be paying double electric companies. Wth?

Original review: June 8, 2017

I was pressured into signing up for Green Mountain while shopping. This company is a ripoff. My bill is almost 300 dollars. I live in a small one bedroom; hardly use electricity. Plus they have a AEP delivery fee which is in the 50/60 dollars price include in my bill. I was never told of this fee every month. I never payed this high with any other company. Green Mountain is a scam and a ripoff. Be safe and choose a different company.

Original review: May 24, 2017

Please don't take services from this company salesperson. They will tell you that "we are providing same rate like ComEd does" and they will say you are saving environment by using green energy blah blah and then suddenly they will increase the rate and if you do not notice your bills then you are paying high rate and they will not refund single penny also.

Original review: May 12, 2017

I was approached by a representative from the Green Mountain Energy Co. while shopping in a Kmart store. I listened to what the girl had to say and said NO several times. I didn't want to change anything with my current carrier. I expressed my concern about my bill getting all screwed up and told her that is why I didn't want to do any changes. I was reassured that nothing was going to change on my bill. It would be exactly the same just my supplier.

I got my electric bill today and just as I was afraid of happened. My bill is over a 130 dollars more. I called the company and was told that it's because I have budget billing. I am very disappointed that the girl never once mentioned anything about the way the billing would be if I was on budget billing. I think that is something very important the representatives need to mention when they are asked several times "is anything going to change with my bill".

I am on budget bill for a reason and to have a surprise extra 130 show up on my bill doesn't make me very happy. I have since cancelled with them and plan on filing a complaint with the company as well. I hate being lied to. I would have never done the change in the first place if I knew this would happen because of being on budget billing. I will be sure to let everyone know that I can not to go with them. I was lied to just to get me to change. This is very misleading and wrong to take advantage of people this way and catch them while at a store and a lot of people are in a rush as I was that day. I was told it does mention the budget billing in the paper work but I didn't even think about looking for that because I was reassured several times nothing was going to change on my bill. Just very disappointed.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2017

This company took advantage of an 83 year with dementia. They lied about giving her a lower bill & $300 bill credit. The con man that went to my mom's house didn't hear her say "this isn't my house". She's not mentally competent to make a decision like switching light company. Till this day her light bill was higher than the other company she was with & hasn't received the $300 bill credit that was promised. Worst company ever.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2016

My mother has this service and we have been fighting since July 2016 on a fraud/identity theft issue. She is elderly and on limited income. Someone apparently used her identity at another address and did not pay the bill. Rather than contracting her and asking her about it, they automatically charged her on her account for the past due balance and said that if she did not pay, she would have her lights turned off. She was afraid and paid.

When I found out what happened we started fighting to get her money credited back. We have been round and round. They have asked us to fax information. Which we have done twice and then they say they never received it. Yet I have the fax confirmation. This is causing undue stress on an elderly woman! All over a measly amount. At this point, it is the principle of the matter for me. What in the heck are they doing adding something without confirming that it is her! The customer service at this company is beyond poor.

Green Mountain Energy expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Green Mountain Energy is an electricity company in Texas focused on eco-friendly energy. The company offers electricity via renewable energy sources such as solar, wind and geothermal power.

• Eco-friendly: Green Mountain is focused on providing electricity that comes from renewable energy sources. Consumers interested in eco-friendly alternatives to other electricity providers will appreciate Green Mountain.

• Plans: Green Mountain Energy provides a different selection of plans, including the LITE-UP TEXAS Low Income Discount Plan, which helps qualified residents in Texas with electricity discounts in May, June, July, August and September.

• Rewards: Green Mountain offers customers who sign up for their plan rewards, including gifts like the Nest thermostat.

• Cost: Buying electricity generated from cleaner energy sources can be more expensive than buying energy from traditional energy sources such as coal or natural gas.

• Fees: Green Mountain Energy charges some additional fees, including a fee for opening an account and a fee for closing an account.

• Best for: Small businesses, midsize and big businesses