1.18/5

Looking for a Texas electricity company?

57 Green Mountain Energy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 10, 2019

I have been with Green Mountain Energy for all most 2 yrs. I have enjoy the service & pricing of my plan but the end of my contract is in June and the price has almost double. This is the only negative comment I can make. I will not be renew my contract Green Mountain because of this.

Original review: May 8, 2019

I held off writing a review for sometime because these guys had me quite worked-up. These guys misrepresent themselves. I ran into them at a Home & Garden Show on a Sunday, and they verbally let you know that you need to reach out to them should you change your mind by Friday of the upcoming week. I guess, I have no one to blame but myself for not asking specific questions and questioning why they needed so much of my information and signatures. The representative signs up as someone who may be interested in their business and further exploring the possibility of using their service. After you are finally done, they tell you make sure you reach out to them by Friday in case you change your mind otherwise you are signed up for their service.

Okay big flag there but I didn't question it. I thought okay, after I review my current rates in more detail, I can make an informed decision. I called the representative on Monday and Tuesday as I had a few questions and after reviewing, I expressed that I am not interested. The representative acknowledge my non-interest and we agreed to check in a few months to see if perhaps something changes. Early the next week, I realize that my provider has changed and I am now a Green Mountain Energy customer. I expressed my concern to my representative who tells me he will take care of it. He fails to do so, after I given him 48 hours. So I call again, and he tells me that he cannot take care of it and that I need to talk to Green Mountain Energy customer service directly.

I explain the situation, they respond with - "It's a valid contract." The only way I can get out of it it by paying the early termination fee. Needless to say, I go around in circles with both Sales and Customer Service. I also realize by this time that the day, I spoke to them, they had send me a contract (to the email, I seldom review.) It also turns out that in Texas you only have 3 business days to change your mind. At any case, they invoiced me the early termination fee ($300 for a 60 month contract) which I refuse to pay and of course, it will hit my credit history. My advisc is to stay away from these guys and avoid them at all cost.

Get expert buying tips about Texas Electricity Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 16, 2019

My house kept on being knocked by their rep. They have no business card, and when I asked what was being sold, they only insisted that I showed them my electric bills. They said they have an information to confirm based on my electric bill. I told them that I am not interested, and if the electric bill company does have something to say to us, they can definitely email or call us directly, not sending someone to our home. I asked kindly for my house to be taken off the list, but they said they could not. So, I asked them the phone number of the company, which they did not disclose. Please be careful.

Original review: April 4, 2019

My mother got very ill due to error made by Green Mountain. They wanted to disconnect service saying someone called to other company to connect service at her residence where she is a homeowner, widow and elder. She did not request this but they insist on charging her and making her pay for something she didn't request. She is on a fixed monthly budget and are still forcing her to pay.

She got sick. Went to E. R. Due to trying to explain to customer service reps and supervisor Jose badge# **. All they can say is sorry and not their fault. Says it is procedure to not follow up with customer after situation as this one. All be careful that this doesn't happen to your parents or grandparents or to yourself. I as her daughter am stepping up and paying this ridiculous charge to try and get her to feel better and not stress anymore over this issue. Need her to get better from her health. Very dissatisfied with this company. Please spread this message.

Original review: March 16, 2019

As I've seen posted before, I wish I could give them zero stars. As I type, I've been on hold for 42 min. For the 3rd month I'm trying to cancel their service. They charge more than double ComEd. GM Sucks.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Green Mountain Energy?

Original review: March 12, 2019

Been with GME for 13 years. To the point - NOV 2018 bill was 52.00. December 2018 252.00!!! GME charges what they can get away with. What does that tell you? I live alone and don't use the heat often, that's how people get sick, too much heat. Bill came in just now 200.00!! I rarely use the heat or AC - I use fans. GME is a scam - took me 13 years to decide I'm switching.

Original review: March 8, 2019

I wish I could give negative stars. Takes total advantage of people trying to make a difference. Liars. They make it incredibly difficult to cancel. They change the rate of your generosity without your knowledge. STAY AWAY FROM THIS GREEDY CORRUPT SYSTEM.

Original review: March 4, 2019

They had a table at Hershey Park. Seemed nice and I was interested in going green. Promised comparable rates, and they were for the initial 3-4 months. When I checked a couple of months later they had gone from $0.074 to $.124! Yup that is an increase of 67%. Called and was told read the fine print. I knew that my rates would eventually be variable but to try and take advantage of customers in this manner and to hide their rates is unscrupulous. STAY AWAY.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

Was lured in by a kind representative with a table at Lifetime Fitness in Ft. Washington, PA about a year ago. The past two months I noticed very high bills. When I looked into it, lo and behold they were charging .16 per kwh! Average at this time is .45! Quadruple the average rate! This is called the bait and switch. What they are charging is not reasonable according to any standard. I was promised a $421 check reimbursement. Will update this review as to whether that reimbursement is received.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I wasn't really looking to change providers, but when a Green Mountain Energy Rep told me that my electricity would cost 9.7 cents and I would have free weekends on a contract for 2 years with no rate increase, this was a deal I could not resist. I agreed on the terms and signed contract based on this rate. Well, long story short, the cost is nearly doubled and I am currently in a battle with the company to make them keep their end of the contract. Just terrible. Definitely not worth it. Now I'm stuck with this company, at a horrible rate for 2 years. But it's current under "investigation"...

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

My wife, unbeknownst to me, signed us up for Green Mountain Energy. Our electric bills doubled. Unfortunately, I failed to keep track until we got our Christmas Season 2018 electric bill. $368! Over double what it was other years. Do not get sucked in by anything they claim, my wife did, and I ended up paying hundreds of dollars of wasted electric bill money due to her and my ignorance.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

One of the worst company on face of Earth. They are liars, cheat customers and steal from the customers. One of the marketing rep came to me at work and asked me about my electricity company. I informed the salesperson that I am not interested in new electricity provider, he promised a free consultation that may save me a lot of money. I only provided him the information and assure him that I am happy with my current provider. He said he will email me the findings. 3 days letter I got a email from my provider that time for the final bill and cancellation notice. I was completely shocked. I called Green Mountain customer service right away, they told me that I signed up with their service and it has been already effective by this morning.

I was shocked, I asked them to show me the copy of contract that I sign, they said they don't have a signed copy but a verbal consent was taken on site. I told them it's a lie and I do not wish to proceed with them, they told me they will charge me a cancellation fee because they switched already in the morning. I was so furious, I asked them to email/mail me the copy of signed contract because I knew I didn't sign anything. They kept insisting to verbal consent what was not true because my previous provider rate was much lower than they forced me with.

No one in their right mind with leave a company who offers you a good rate and go with higher rate so after debating with several departments, they finally agreed to match my rate to what I was previously getting from my previous provider. They promised me no hidden charges. I still was not happy to stay with them because I felt I was cheated by them but the cost to go back to my old provider was $250.00 so I ended up accepting their offer of rate matching.

Next 5 months were miserable. My electricity bill was between $500-$900 whereas with my previous provider, the highest bill I ever had was $295. I was so done with them that I chose to throw $250 cancellation on their laying face and move on to another company. Green Mountain is worst company to in market. They cheat their consumers. I wrote them several feedback, I never heard back. No one ever reached out to address my concerns. The amount I paid them in 5 months was much higher than my total 1.5 year bills with previous provider. Do not speak to any sales rep. They will lie to you and take your information and move your electricity without you actually signing up with them.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I signed up for Green Mountain Energy from a salesperson in my neighborhood in Brooklyn. I live in a 750 sq. ft apartment with no washer, no dishwasher, gas stove and gas heating. The salesman told me my bill may rise at the beginning, but would eventually drop so drastically that some months I "may not even owe anything." My bill was initially higher than my usual provider and continued to rise every month. It took me over a year to realize that my kWh charges went from 8.5 cents to 13.5 cents WITHOUT A WRITTEN NOTICE.

I called customer service to cancel and figure out why my charges nearly doubled, and the customer service representative said the charges automatically increase unless you call in to discuss the charges. I do not understand how this is legal, and I am outraged. I never received noticed of increase in charges - just continuously kept seeing gradual changes in my bill until I was paying over $200/month. I also tried to cancel immediately after signing up and was told by a representative that I had to complete a three month trial before canceling. I am reporting this company to the Better Business Bureau and encouraging everyone I know to stay clear.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

Lies, lies and more lies. Be ready to find all kind of strange charges on your bill. They will promise a 50 dollar bill but you will be surprised with a 200 dollar bill...yhea that’s for an efficiency apt not a home. I have no washer or drier. No electric range. No central AC. The rep blamed it on my fridge and cell phone battery. Good luck getting out when you’re in. They like to block accounts from transferring to someone else and they will squeeze out a good chunk of money before you can be set free. If I could give a negative star rating this would be it. It’s beyond disappointing to see how they do business.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I have been with this company for several years now. To be exact... 7 years and 11 months. I had noticed for the past several months that my bill had been going really high for a small place that hasn't changed in size, and consumption has remained relatively same. My bill which would average around $65 a month has skyrocketed to over $200 within the past 1.5 years.

When I call I get the same old BS that I used more than this month or that month, and that my rate is 6.1 or 7.1. Whatever at that time. My recent call into their office was a strong concern that my bill was now reflecting $256!!! This is insane! How the hell can you sit there and tell me that my usage is higher than norm when I have not changed any habits? Not to mention that though I was going month to month, my bill was staying at the same rate up until a couple weeks before I called and the new rate had gone into effect. BUT that she would get it down to the new rate of 6.1 AND balanced billing.

Lo and behold, my new bill is $165 and they try and tell me that the new rates will not go into effect until up to 2 months from my call. Number ONE...this is total BS. Number TWO, she told me that my next bill should be under $100 and then with balanced billing, around the $70 range. Then I speak to a so-called account supervisor and she pulls our conversation which is barely audible and she is somehow unable to play back clearly the entire conversation, but that she is saying the agent DID tell me it would take up to two months before the new rates take effect and balanced billing as well...like I am supposed to take her word for it because she wasn't able to play the recording clearly and completely for me to hear.

I will be breaking my contract with these **. They won't receive another red cent. They have been ripping me off for months and I am sick of it!! Not to mention their customer service/account supervisors need to be retrained. I have been a loyal customer and they are basically telling me, "You're under a contract with us now. Pay yo billz."

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

Disconnect service for less than 10 dollars is just downright shameful. This company is really just trash. None of your reps speak very good English so you can understand them, the service is spotty and crap and when I make a mistake and miss I kid you not 10 dollars you disconnect the service! Never again will I do business with you people!!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

When my husband transferred electricity our electricity account from our previous company to Green Mountain. It was told us that it would be an increase of only 8% of our bills. For the very first 3 months it was fine the little increase as we knew about that but after these months the bill went up to over 100% of increase compared to the same period in the last year. Because the bill was too high I tried to reduce my best the consumption of electricity by turning down the air conditioner. We don't have TV, I also started to wash the dishes by hand and still our bill came over more than double of the price of last year. I do recycle and I'm very concerned about helping the planet but I'm very disappointed with this company because of the lack of their transparency and dishonesty. Total of damage: over 550.00 dollars.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

I personally will not be recommending Green Mountain to anyone ever again. I have been charged a vacant fee 6 times in my 7 months (I am a leasing consultant and also a resident at the community I work at). I was told that through Green Mountain I would get a discount on usage. I created an account on February 22, 2018 and received a confirmation email. Two full months go by and I'm then hit with a $50 vacant fee charge for electric. I was never contacted by Green Mountain (although my phone number, address and email are on the confirmation email) to inform me of any issues. My manager suggested that I contact our Green Mountain rep and I emailed her on May 2, 2018.

After waiting 13 days (even with my manager reaching out her as well) she finally let me know that someone would be reaching out to me to help with my account. She also said that she would send a gift card to cover the 1st vacant fee charge of $50. I then spoke with an agent for over an hour on the phone trying to figure out how to get Green Mountain service and was given a new account number. I never received another call, email or mailed letter from anyone at Green Mountain. The vacant service fee was charged again in June 2018 but not charged to my ledger for the month July 2018 (I assume because of the new account) but reappears August, September and twice on October 2018.

The vacant fees that was charged twice and the vacant electric charges in October ($293.15 alone) has caused my rent to go above my allowance and I will be forced to borrow from family to pay my rent. And I'm pretty sure that I'm not being charged the proper ¢ per kWh* for energy used, as promised all this time. I have spent $300 extra with Green Mountain because of fees, although I have attempted more than once to have service and correct any confusion. I am more than disappointed with Green Mountain, as I have been pushing their service and believed that they were a judicious company. 70% of the people that signed up for Green Mountain from December 2017 have been from my recommendation alone. I even created the information sheet to include Green Mountain as the recommended energy provider. I have given Green Mountain my business, only to be taken advantage of by the same company.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I signed up for Green Mountain energy after talking to a representative at one of my local malls. Upon signing that day I got a free $10 Sears gift card and I was helping the environment by switching a green energy supplier. The first few months I didn't notice much changes to my bill from my previous supplier. I have my electricity bill set to auto pay so it gets paid on time and I don't review every single bill since I'm using about the same amount of electricity that I always have. Well, wrong move on my part. Looked about the bills over the summer and they were more than $100 than what I would normally pay. I called my local electricity provider to see if there was a mistake and there was not, I found out that was paying about 3 times as much as I what would normally pay. I understand supporting the environment could cost a little extra, but not 3X the regular rate.

Called Green Mountain and they stated you have to call them and negotiate a rate or your bill will go up every month. They don't contact you or remind you that you need to negotiate a better rate, they basically just jack the price up if you don't call. Extremely shady way of doing business, especially from a company that is supposed to do good by helping the environment. Stay away from Green Mountain unless you like paying 3X the normal rate. Also, don't be fooled by gift cards and other incentives unless you call can cancel after 2 months or get locked in at a rate you like.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

I reported no response about overcharging on my bill. July 30 to September 5 l was not home. Nobody home. All light cut off and some electronic off in the house. My bill is the same charges like am at home cook every day. I called for inquiries. It's was ignore and no response. And l paid the bill anyway. Account number **. This ripoff, spam, need investigation on this. Something went wrong. No weekly used send to my mail to see how much electric current l used. Ripoff.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I took the connection from them as my landlord asked me to buy from them. I did not have much idea on the price. My bill was more than double compared to my friends' bill. So I called them and they said that they will transfer me to their "best plan". Still the bill did not go down. So I cancel their services and purchased from another provider. They are the total rip off. They probably band with the landlord and give them the commission. STAY AWAY FROM THEM.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

Buying energy has become a never ending, continuous process that requires the consumer pay VERY close attention to the details - and be prepared to make changes or switch suppliers whenever your monthly energy statement goes off the rail. Such is the case with Green Mountain Energy. We signed up at a movie theater in December 2017. First statement seemed appropriate. So was the second, or so we thought. Then Green Mountain somehow forgot to invoice West Penn Power (what a nice surprise - NOT!) - until next month when Green Mountain exercised their "right to raise the rates up to 30%" and billed us for the missed period, plus the following current period (OUCH!!). I didn't check carefully and their rates keep going up.

We had enough as of today. From $166 to $251 in a single month for the same approximate usage, to now at $400 - This is highway robbery (their latest billing jumped another 50% from 0.10 to 0.144 per kWh -- way outside their "no more than 30%" statements). A word to the wise, watch the details every month. Sad that we've gotten to this point.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

Horrible customer service!!! I was charged twice in February for a credit card system that was having issues. Since I did not want to be late and incur late fees, I tried ACH. It took payment via ACH & debit card same day. I was proactive and called Green Mountain upon noticing they charged my debit card even though their system said it could not process. When I called upon noticing the double charge, I was told by customer service they could not reverse 1 of the payments. That was completely WRONG. There is no reason under those circumstances that no one at that company could reverse 1 of the payments! July 27th 2018 I receive my bill and it shows that they were charging me not only the amount for February AGAIN, but also a "returned payment" fee of $25. I called Green Mountain and spoke with a "Manager" named Jose ID #** extremely rude! His response to the $25 fee "It's only $25".

My response to him was since he thinks it's no big deal HE can pay it then! I was so disgusted I had to call back. Spoke with Caroline. She told me to have my bank statements ready to submit and someone will contact me by Tuesday July 31. It's Saturday August 4th! NO ONE called. I call Green Mountain again. Speak with Guadalupe. She tells me it will be 1-2 billing cycles for Green Mountain to investigate and I WOULD HAVE TO CALL BACK. Excuse Me??? I asked for a supervisor and was "disconnected". Call back again immediately. Get Kim on the phone. Asked for a supervisor since Guadalupe was supposed to get one on phone with me and instead hung up on. She insists she can help me. Did I not ask for a supervisor? Had to explain it all yet again to Kim. She is telling me it takes 15 days to research I needed to call back then. Why do I have to keep calling???

I was told and deserve a call back from Green Mountain as promised! It's also a simple idea called CUSTOMER SERVICE! I am paying your company for a service. My money and every other customers money not only helps Green Mountain pay their salaries, but without customers they would not be in service! I asked if Green Mountain now going to pay for my time with over 4 hours in phone calls between 2 calls I had to make to resolve a problem that I have been proactive from the start? So again I had to reiterate, "DID I NOT ASK YOU FOR A SUPERVISOR?". So she sends me to Daniel, a "supervisor", ID **. Once again I have to explain it all over to him. He now tells me it will take 1-2 billing cycles to resolve but should not be more than 21 business days. I can call back then or no sooner than 16 business days from now. Why am I getting so many conflicting statements???

Also WHY DO I HAVE TO KEEP CALLING YOU??? That is NOT customer service. Daniel's answer was "because they have 300 calls in queue now and such a high call volume they can't call the customers." Are you kidding me??? He also was so kind to tell me "I am free to find another provider". Wow! Okay Green Mountain! I WILL find another provider. And I hope a large enough percentage of your customers do, thus putting you out of business. What abusive customer service you have! I will send you a bill for MY TIME and see you in court when you don't pay it! No problem! Apparently your customers only matter as much as they make their payments versus being the heart of your business that allows you to profit!

Original review: July 3, 2018

I initially signed up with Green Mountain at the Phipps Conservatory at their table there. The staff there courteous and polite. The initial rate was surprisingly reasonable for fully renewable power, less than 1 cent/kWh above the standard rate. The problem I have with the company is that a few months after signing up, my bills increased by a large amount to 50% above the initial teaser rater rate over the course of 2-3 months.

I expected some price increase although the increase seemed excessively large and rapid. Looking back at the contract, the rate was within the stated maximum increase of 30% per month, although I was surprised they basically raised it by the maximum amount. I would be willing to pay a little more for the green power, although their approach seems a bit dishonest. I would rather they be more upfront with the true cost of renewable energy through them. I had seen similar reviews of this company but figured I'd give them the benefit of the doubt.

Original review: June 26, 2018

A door to door salesman came to my home. Convinced me that I would save money switching to them. He also told me they would pay my disconnect fee with my current provider. They did not pay my disconnect fee without a fight. I had to contact TX Utility Com. Then they only gave me a credit. I still had to pay my previous provider. I just got my 1st bill & it is 2x's higher than my Spark energy bill would have been. Beware! Do not change services. My bill is $245. I sit in the dark house at night & work all day. This is outrageous!

Original review: May 8, 2018

Stay away from this company at all costs. They supplement their good rates by not posting payments on time and then popping you with late fees and disconnect notice fees. After checking with my bank to verify when checks were deposited I have found out that each payment I made was deposited the day after the due date. I use online bill pay through BOA and have no problems with payments showing up a day late to any other vendors so I know that system works. On my last bill the payment was due on Friday 4/16, the check was deposited, according to BOA, on Monday 4/19. James at Green Mountain confirmed that the payment was posted to my account on the 20th.

On the 23rd a disconnect notice was supposedly sent and a disconnect fee assessed along with a late payment fee. Additional fees total about 10% of the bill. My bill shows that the payment was posted on the 27th. A full week after they actually posted it and 8 days after they deposited the check. I was informed that they have no grace period, however they can't tell me what day the payment was received just what day they got it posted which is a day after it was deposited but they don't have a grace period of one day? Run, don't walk from this company.

They are incompetent, at best, at handling money and I suspect, at worst, they are doing this little maneuver they've done with me in order to supplement their income with late fees and such. If you already have their service inspect your bill carefully and check with your bank to see when they actually deposited their payments. They are hoping you either won't pay any attention to the fees or won't take the time to call them out on it. When you call in and get the phone tree you are allowed to chose to take a survey at the end of your call but no one there knows how to put you through to the survey at the end of the call. Total incompetence.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I had Green Mountain Energy at an apartment that I moved into because the apartment complex recommended them. Their rates were a little expensive but they claim to help the environment, so whatever. The problem came when I moved out of my apartment to my new house. I called to get my service transferred and was on the phone for about a half hour before being told they couldn't find my new address in their system. A month later I find that I'm still being charged at my old address so I called to get it taken care of and the agent I spoke to "Carlos" told me he had no record of a call. About 15 minutes of me insisting that I called he was able to find the call and stated that since I had wanted to transfer my service and didn't specially say to cancel it they left it running and couldn't do anything about it.

I asked to speak to his supervisor and he told me he was the supervisor and no one else was available. About 10 minutes after insisting I was finally able to speak to his supervisor who stated it was a bad situation and understood it seemed like bad customer service to me but she couldn't do anything. Moral of the story, save yourself the headache and go with someone else for electricity. If you're worried about the environment take the money you save by using a different service and donate it to an environment charity. You'll be happier for it.

Original review: March 14, 2018

Absolutely the most incompetent customer service people. Paid my bill and 4 days later electricity was disconnected. They show no record of bill being paid. Call Wells Fargo and funds were taken of 73.00 dollars. Had to pay bill again and 200 reconnect fee. So now the hassle of going and faxing proof of payment and all. Horrible company and you cannot get a hold of anyone in corporate office!!!

Original review: March 2, 2018

Sometimes they are not always right, I have found discrepancies in my bill. I have thought about seeking another company as soon as my contract is up.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

So I moved to new apt and I had to assign a new energy provider. I did my search and called several companies to see what the best deal I may get. These guys offered me a deal "which I thought is good first" because I suppose to pay quite low if my consumption was less than 1000 kW. And if I consumed more than 1000 kW it will be pumped up to six times more. I asked the agent who had worked this plan for me, if she can give me a rough estimation for the consumption of an individual lives by himself with no kids, eating outside all the time, and don't use oven or cooker, she said you rarely hit 1000 kW a month... I end up paying four times more what I thought I gonna pay each month, the whole plan was a scam.

Green Mountain Energy expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Green Mountain Energy is an electricity company in Texas focused on eco-friendly energy. The company offers electricity via renewable energy sources such as solar, wind and geothermal power.

• Eco-friendly: Green Mountain is focused on providing electricity that comes from renewable energy sources. Consumers interested in eco-friendly alternatives to other electricity providers will appreciate Green Mountain.

• Plans: Green Mountain Energy provides a different selection of plans, including the LITE-UP TEXAS Low Income Discount Plan, which helps qualified residents in Texas with electricity discounts in May, June, July, August and September.

• Rewards: Green Mountain offers customers who sign up for their plan rewards, including gifts like the Nest thermostat.

• Cost: Buying electricity generated from cleaner energy sources can be more expensive than buying energy from traditional energy sources such as coal or natural gas.

• Fees: Green Mountain Energy charges some additional fees, including a fee for opening an account and a fee for closing an account.

• Best for: Small businesses, midsize and big businesses