1.23/5
  • 1 star
Based on 22 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution
Looking for a Texas electricity company?
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 13, 2017

23 Green Mountain Energy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I was with TXU paying $80 a month, Green Mountain came by and assured I would pay half as much with them. Well me and my dumb self believed it and now I pay from $110-$160.00 a month with them. I called customer service and weren't able to do anything about it. I asked to speak with a supervisor and I was told the same thing, then I asked for the corporate office number and was told that there is no corporate office for them. Very bad company, very expensive. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY AT ALL. 1 star is WAAAYYY too high to give to them due to the amount they charge per KW and due to the poor customer service.

Original review: July 20, 2017

I've been with Green Mountain Energy for a few months now and I had my account setup on auto pay. This month I had an unexpected medical expense come up so I called to request an extension on my bill. The representative told me that I could pay my bill the next week. So I was really surprised when my bill was drafted out before the date the representative and I agreed upon.

So I called again to see why and they explain to me that since I was setup on auto pay they could not stop the payment going thru. I was very upset and stressed up because this caused my bank account to be overdrafted and I was charged overdraft fees. The rep then assured me that they would credit my account since it was an error on they part... Long story straight it's been several days later and they have yet to credit my account and I'm still being charged over draft fees. WHAT A NIGHTMARE. I would NEVER recommend Green Mountain to anyone ever!!! This has been the WORST experience ever. I'm basically paying for their errors.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: July 3, 2017

I concluded my 12-month residential electricity contract with Green Mountain Energy Company on June 22, 2017. I needed a Letter of Credit from Green Mountain to avoid paying a deposit to my new provider. I called Green Mountain and requested the letter. I received the letter on June 23, 2017, and it stated that I had two late payments in the previous twelve months. This came as a surprise to me considering I was on "Auto-Pay" with Green Mountain and my monthly bills were submitted to my Chase Visa routinely without incident.

I spoke with a representative from Green Mountain on June 27, 2017, to resolve this issue. The Green Mountain representative informed me that my July bill was due on August 11th and Chase paid it on August 12th, and my September bill was due on October 11th and Chase paid it on October 12th. Thus, my Letter of Credit stated I had two late payments. The Green Mountain representative suggested I contact Chase about this apparent discrepancy and she refused to remove the two late payments from my letter.

Later that day, I spoke with a representative from Chase Visa and was told that they only have a record of the process dates (8/12/16 and 10/12/16) and no errors were recorded. As a consumer, I feel I am at a distinct disadvantage because I cannot prove when these requests for payment were actually made by Green Mountain. This seems like a simple matter that could be resolved with little effort. Both bills were paid, and I had no control over when Green Mountain submitted them.

Original review: June 26, 2017

I signed up with Green Mountain Energy at a Sears near me because I wanted a less expensive rate than BG&E. It was sometime last year. There seemed to not be any problems with my account until I received the June bill from BG&E. I was charged $55.76 for BG&E electric delivery! I sent an email to Green Mountain to cancel and to switch me back to BG&E. I received a response stating that they will. I am so sorry for those who associated themselves with this company. I hope all issues will be resolved.

Original review: June 23, 2017

I talked to a Green Mountain sales person at a trade show. He fed me the sales pitch. I told him I was only interested in more information, not switching. He asked for some basic info which he entered into a tablet. A few days later I get a card in the mail saying I have authorized switching my energy account over to Green Mountain. I call in to let Green Mountain Energy know I did not authorize the switch. The customer service reps give you a run around type confirmation. I called back to make sure I was not switched. Then I am told I will be returned to my original provider after two business cycles.

The sales person I spoke with is Jay **. He lied and he is crooked. I think the entire organization might be crooked. Don't walk away from Green Mountain Energy, and their "renewable and affordable" service. Run! And learn from my mistake, don't give out personal info at trade show booths or to any sales people at stores, events, etc.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Green Mountain Energy?

Original review: June 9, 2017

On May 13th, 2017 I went to the Houston Pet Expo and stopped to chat with Green Mountain Energy. The representative told me they had a promotion going on; he wanted to know if I was interested in switching providers. I was interested and told him I was on contract with my current provider until 6/22/17. He extended their promotion, took down my information and said I had until 6/22/17 to join with them. Then I received an e-mail the next day talking about the promotion in the subject title. I never opened it. Until today. When I wanted to investigate their rates now that my current contract is expiring soon.

That. A-hole. He signed me up for their service to begin 6/22/17. I don't know even know how that is legal or possible. I signed no paperwork other than entering my contact information. I called and canceled. I didn't seem to have any problems with that. I did demand that they e-mail me proof of my cancellation. I haven't received it yet. But I'll never in my lifetime mess these con artists again. If I hadn't finally read that e-mail I'd be paying double electric companies. Wth?

Original review: June 8, 2017

I was pressured into signing up for Green Mountain while shopping. This company is a ripoff. My bill is almost 300 dollars. I live in a small one bedroom; hardly use electricity. Plus they have a AEP delivery fee which is in the 50/60 dollars price include in my bill. I was never told of this fee every month. I never payed this high with any other company. Green Mountain is a scam and a ripoff. Be safe and choose a different company.

Original review: May 24, 2017

Please don't take services from this company salesperson. They will tell you that "we are providing same rate like ComEd does" and they will say you are saving environment by using green energy blah blah and then suddenly they will increase the rate and if you do not notice your bills then you are paying high rate and they will not refund single penny also.

Original review: May 12, 2017

I was approached by a representative from the Green Mountain Energy Co. while shopping in a Kmart store. I listened to what the girl had to say and said NO several times. I didn't want to change anything with my current carrier. I expressed my concern about my bill getting all screwed up and told her that is why I didn't want to do any changes. I was reassured that nothing was going to change on my bill. It would be exactly the same just my supplier.

I got my electric bill today and just as I was afraid of happened. My bill is over a 130 dollars more. I called the company and was told that it's because I have budget billing. I am very disappointed that the girl never once mentioned anything about the way the billing would be if I was on budget billing. I think that is something very important the representatives need to mention when they are asked several times "is anything going to change with my bill".

I am on budget bill for a reason and to have a surprise extra 130 show up on my bill doesn't make me very happy. I have since cancelled with them and plan on filing a complaint with the company as well. I hate being lied to. I would have never done the change in the first place if I knew this would happen because of being on budget billing. I will be sure to let everyone know that I can not to go with them. I was lied to just to get me to change. This is very misleading and wrong to take advantage of people this way and catch them while at a store and a lot of people are in a rush as I was that day. I was told it does mention the budget billing in the paper work but I didn't even think about looking for that because I was reassured several times nothing was going to change on my bill. Just very disappointed.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2017

This company took advantage of an 83 year with dementia. They lied about giving her a lower bill & $300 bill credit. The con man that went to my mom's house didn't hear her say "this isn't my house". She's not mentally competent to make a decision like switching light company. Till this day her light bill was higher than the other company she was with & hasn't received the $300 bill credit that was promised. Worst company ever.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2016

My mother has this service and we have been fighting since July 2016 on a fraud/identity theft issue. She is elderly and on limited income. Someone apparently used her identity at another address and did not pay the bill. Rather than contracting her and asking her about it, they automatically charged her on her account for the past due balance and said that if she did not pay, she would have her lights turned off. She was afraid and paid.

When I found out what happened we started fighting to get her money credited back. We have been round and round. They have asked us to fax information. Which we have done twice and then they say they never received it. Yet I have the fax confirmation. This is causing undue stress on an elderly woman! All over a measly amount. At this point, it is the principle of the matter for me. What in the heck are they doing adding something without confirming that it is her! The customer service at this company is beyond poor.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2016

These people came knocking on my door one day. I was a Just Energy customer. I was not dissatisfied with my provider but GME sold us a line of crap! I don't remember what the kwh usage was but it wasn't more than what I was already paying being they told me my bill was too high with them and that I would never have a bill that high with them GME. Free weekends on electric which meant less on a bill. One would think!? Right? Well I was wrong! First few bills were pretty cheap then they gradually just kept going up and up to almost 500.00 for a 4 br house.

I never paid over 300 with Just Energy. I do live in a large house that is two story and I do have kids who leave things on. I've been paying about 300 for some years now so that is normal to me. But these people are crooks and will rip you off! I am not the type of person to not pay my bills but I will say thanks for the last month for free electric because you won't be seeing a dime from me. They screwed me and basically made it difficult for me to pay other bills. Please be aware of these people. Don't use them! I don't know how people live with themselves doing this type of thing to people! It's awful!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2016

They allowed the tenant in my property to transfer the service, cancelled mine and then charged me a termination fee for my contract without any reference to myself. I offered them to connect service and transfer the service at my new address. They did not provide service in that area and therefore, in full contravention of the agreement I signed, have continued to charge me the cancellation fee. The customer service person called Victoria ranged from rude to then issuing threats about collection agencies. Don't go near them. They are crooks.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2016

I am used to paying under 150 a month normally, but once I bought a house my energy usage was lower than what I used in apartments and with Green Mountain it seems my rate rises EVERY MONTH. Now my bill are coming in at over $220 a month and also their FEES ARE STUPID HIGH! BEWARE!! For being late they can charge you up to $70 extra added to your bill. Then they have tons of different ways to raise the bill. I tried calling to get help even though I am not on a plan and pay month to month. You would think they would help me since I pay more a month for their service but no. I feel no love from this company and they are giving it to me with no lube on my wallet! I will cancel ASAP. And will never deal with them again.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2015

Yes, I've been a happy camper with Green Mountain for a little over two years now. Last week or maybe the week before I've been experiencing problems making an online payment on my cell phone - submitting online payments with my debit card I've had over 8+ yrs and making payments consecutively with the same card, giving me an error that the three security numbers in the back of the card to the right side where invalid. And, I did try it a couple times after just in case I was entering numbers incorrectly on my end. Well earlier that morning I had just made a payment online using the same device and I experienced no problems.

Well I've spoken to many reps concerning my issue informing me it is nothing on their end, but yet I've made plenty other purchases online with the same card and I have zero issues or complaints. And gets me a little mad when they're explaining to me that it is something wrong on my end, but yes I've also spoken to my debit card Corporation (Netspend) assured me everything was carefully reviewed my personal info on their end. So it's a little frustrating they can't figure out this simple issue. Very disappointed customer.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2015

I closed my automatic payment but it does not reflect on their system right away. I paid using my credit card prior to my due date but on my due date their system withdrew on my bank account. I was promised that they will pay my overdraft fee - 5 days later, they didn't. I called them back and they refused to pay me back.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2015

This company will rip you off!!! I live in a one bedroom apt that is approx 500 sq ft which has NO washer/dryer. It only has a fridge, microwave, and stove (don't use since I don't cook) in TX. I am rarely home, I work all day and don't get here until about 10 pm. My bill kept going up every month. It started out at $100.67 which wasn't bad but then it went up to $187, so I called them and they said it was what it was and that I was spending all that electricity and that I had to pay such amount. I explained to them how this wasn't possible and told them that it was outrageous and if this continued I was going to leave, to what they replied that I was a month-month customer and I could do as I pleased.

Anyway I still stayed and the next bill was for $212, and when I saw what their predictor for my next bill (230.54) I decided to cancel. To summarize RUN AWAY from this company. They will try to draw you in with cheap rates but it's all a scam. I decided to change to TXU. Hopefully they treat me better. I will post as soon as I get my first TXU bill.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2015

They told me that my bill would be cheaper than what I was paying with Con-Ed and it ended up being twice what I was paying. Please people stay away from Green Mountain if you want more money in your pockets. My supply cost is @16.4000. They been ripping me off and every time I paid my bill I would pay twenty-forty dollars extra than what my bill was... and I live in a one bedroom apartment.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2015

Called two times to start my power. My apartment charged me $50 for the delay in switching of power. I should have listened to the bad reviews and other claims of unfairness. Run for the hills!

Original review: July 21, 2015

I also had to call them to cancel and use the "ID number" on all communication, spoke to 3 reps today. None knew this number. After 40 minutes, I find they are in Mexico. I am so tired to trying to CANCEL! Hopefully others don't have this issue.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2014

I have been contacting Green Mountain since September regarding a discrepancy on our business account. Every time I called, they said they were escalating to billing. We didn't get word that our contract had expired until November. The person that finally noticed said we are liable for our month-to-month rate which is double the amount we were paying. If I would have been told in September of this, it would have been taken care of immediately. Now 2 months later with an answer, almost a 2,000 bill, and they say we are liable for it. We don't deny we owe the money but the ball was dropped on this.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2013

Been with this company for over 2 yrs now. I get their bill inconsistently. 4 weeks ago I called to check my balance (since I received no bill) and was told I had 0 balance. I went online to see now my bill is almost $800. This company is a rip off and fraud.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2011

Electric bill shot up. Appealed to Reliant Energy to read meter, they replaced without giving me a meter test as requested. Appealed to Green Mountain to look into charges, was refused information, as I had turned in a change of provider, on the grounds that I was no longer a customer when in fact I still was.

New provider goes into effect tomorrow, Tuesday, July 13, 2010. New meter reading scheduled for tomorrow. Last month meter reading, estimated by Centerpoint Energy, was very high (@ 150% of avg.). How will I get reimbursed overage charges from Green Mountain?

Green Mountain Energy expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Green Mountain Energy is an electricity company in Texas focused on eco-friendly energy. The company offers electricity via renewable energy sources such as solar, wind and geothermal power.

• Eco-friendly: Green Mountain is focused on providing electricity that comes from renewable energy sources. Consumers interested in eco-friendly alternatives to other electricity providers will appreciate Green Mountain.

• Plans: Green Mountain Energy provides a different selection of plans, including the LITE-UP TEXAS Low Income Discount Plan, which helps qualified residents in Texas with electricity discounts in May, June, July, August and September.

• Rewards: Green Mountain offers customers who sign up for their plan rewards, including gifts like the Nest thermostat.

• Cost: Buying electricity generated from cleaner energy sources can be more expensive than buying energy from traditional energy sources such as coal or natural gas.

• Fees: Green Mountain Energy charges some additional fees, including a fee for opening an account and a fee for closing an account.

• Best for: Small businesses, midsize and big businesses