Green Mountain Energy

Compare Texas Electricity Companies

Research top Texas Electricity Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

My mother has this service and we have been fighting since July 2016 on a fraud/identity theft issue. She is elderly and on limited income. Someone apparently used her identity at another address and did not pay the bill. Rather than contracting her and asking her about it, they automatically charged her on her account for the past due balance and said that if she did not pay, she would have her lights turned off. She was afraid and paid.

When I found out what happened we started fighting to get her money credited back. We have been round and round. They have asked us to fax information. Which we have done twice and then they say they never received it. Yet I have the fax confirmation. This is causing undue stress on an elderly woman! All over a measly amount. At this point, it is the principle of the matter for me. What in the heck are they doing adding something without confirming that it is her! The customer service at this company is beyond poor.

These people came knocking on my door one day. I was a Just Energy customer. I was not dissatisfied with my provider but GME sold us a line of crap! I don't remember what the kwh usage was but it wasn't more than what I was already paying being they told me my bill was too high with them and that I would never have a bill that high with them GME. Free weekends on electric which meant less on a bill. One would think!? Right? Well I was wrong! First few bills were pretty cheap then they gradually just kept going up and up to almost 500.00 for a 4 br house.

I never paid over 300 with Just Energy. I do live in a large house that is two story and I do have kids who leave things on. I've been paying about 300 for some years now so that is normal to me. But these people are crooks and will rip you off! I am not the type of person to not pay my bills but I will say thanks for the last month for free electric because you won't be seeing a dime from me. They screwed me and basically made it difficult for me to pay other bills. Please be aware of these people. Don't use them! I don't know how people live with themselves doing this type of thing to people! It's awful!

They allowed the tenant in my property to transfer the service, cancelled mine and then charged me a termination fee for my contract without any reference to myself. I offered them to connect service and transfer the service at my new address. They did not provide service in that area and therefore, in full contravention of the agreement I signed, have continued to charge me the cancellation fee. The customer service person called Victoria ranged from rude to then issuing threats about collection agencies. Don't go near them. They are crooks.

I am used to paying under 150 a month normally, but once I bought a house my energy usage was lower than what I used in apartments and with Green Mountain it seems my rate rises EVERY MONTH. Now my bill are coming in at over $220 a month and also their FEES ARE STUPID HIGH! BEWARE!! For being late they can charge you up to $70 extra added to your bill. Then they have tons of different ways to raise the bill. I tried calling to get help even though I am not on a plan and pay month to month. You would think they would help me since I pay more a month for their service but no. I feel no love from this company and they are giving it to me with no lube on my wallet! I will cancel ASAP. And will never deal with them again.

Yes, I've been a happy camper with Green Mountain for a little over two years now. Last week or maybe the week before I've been experiencing problems making an online payment on my cell phone - submitting online payments with my debit card I've had over 8+ yrs and making payments consecutively with the same card, giving me an error that the three security numbers in the back of the card to the right side where invalid. And, I did try it a couple times after just in case I was entering numbers incorrectly on my end. Well earlier that morning I had just made a payment online using the same device and I experienced no problems.

Well I've spoken to many reps concerning my issue informing me it is nothing on their end, but yet I've made plenty other purchases online with the same card and I have zero issues or complaints. And gets me a little mad when they're explaining to me that it is something wrong on my end, but yes I've also spoken to my debit card Corporation (Netspend) assured me everything was carefully reviewed my personal info on their end. So it's a little frustrating they can't figure out this simple issue. Very disappointed customer.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Green Mountain Energy?

I closed my automatic payment but it does not reflect on their system right away. I paid using my credit card prior to my due date but on my due date their system withdrew on my bank account. I was promised that they will pay my overdraft fee - 5 days later, they didn't. I called them back and they refused to pay me back.

This company will rip you off!!! I live in a one bedroom apt that is approx 500 sq ft which has NO washer/dryer. It only has a fridge, microwave, and stove (don't use since I don't cook) in TX. I am rarely home, I work all day and don't get here until about 10 pm. My bill kept going up every month. It started out at $100.67 which wasn't bad but then it went up to $187, so I called them and they said it was what it was and that I was spending all that electricity and that I had to pay such amount. I explained to them how this wasn't possible and told them that it was outrageous and if this continued I was going to leave, to what they replied that I was a month-month customer and I could do as I pleased.

Anyway I still stayed and the next bill was for $212, and when I saw what their predictor for my next bill (230.54) I decided to cancel. To summarize RUN AWAY from this company. They will try to draw you in with cheap rates but it's all a scam. I decided to change to TXU. Hopefully they treat me better. I will post as soon as I get my first TXU bill.

They told me that my bill would be cheaper than what I was paying with Con-Ed and it ended up being twice what I was paying. Please people stay away from Green Mountain if you want more money in your pockets. My supply cost is @16.4000. They been ripping me off and every time I paid my bill I would pay twenty-forty dollars extra than what my bill was... and I live in a one bedroom apartment.

Called two times to start my power. My apartment charged me $50 for the delay in switching of power. I should have listened to the bad reviews and other claims of unfairness. Run for the hills!

I also had to call them to cancel and use the "ID number" on all communication, spoke to 3 reps today. None knew this number. After 40 minutes, I find they are in Mexico. I am so tired to trying to CANCEL! Hopefully others don't have this issue.

I have been contacting Green Mountain since September regarding a discrepancy on our business account. Every time I called, they said they were escalating to billing. We didn't get word that our contract had expired until November. The person that finally noticed said we are liable for our month-to-month rate which is double the amount we were paying. If I would have been told in September of this, it would have been taken care of immediately. Now 2 months later with an answer, almost a 2,000 bill, and they say we are liable for it. We don't deny we owe the money but the ball was dropped on this.

Been with this company for over 2 yrs now. I get their bill inconsistently. 4 weeks ago I called to check my balance (since I received no bill) and was told I had 0 balance. I went online to see now my bill is almost $800. This company is a rip off and fraud.

Electric bill shot up. Appealed to Reliant Energy to read meter, they replaced without giving me a meter test as requested. Appealed to Green Mountain to look into charges, was refused information, as I had turned in a change of provider, on the grounds that I was no longer a customer when in fact I still was.

New provider goes into effect tomorrow, Tuesday, July 13, 2010. New meter reading scheduled for tomorrow. Last month meter reading, estimated by Centerpoint Energy, was very high (@ 150% of avg.). How will I get reimbursed overage charges from Green Mountain?

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Green Mountain Energy is an electricity company in Texas focused on eco-friendly energy. The company offers electricity via renewable energy sources such as solar, wind and geothermal power.

• Eco-friendly: Green Mountain is focused on providing electricity that comes from renewable energy sources. Consumers interested in eco-friendly alternatives to other electricity providers will appreciate Green Mountain.
  • Plans: Green Mountain Energy provides a different selection of plans, including the LITE-UP TEXAS Low Income Discount Plan, which helps qualified residents in Texas with electricity discounts in May, June, July, August and September.
  • Rewards: Green Mountain offers customers who sign up for their plan rewards, including gifts like the Nest thermostat.
  • Cost: Buying electricity generated from cleaner energy sources can be more expensive than buying energy from traditional energy sources such as coal or natural gas.
  • Fees: Green Mountain Energy charges some additional fees, including a fee for opening an account and a fee for closing an account.
  • Best for Small businesses, midsize and big businesses