Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.36/5

Green Mountain Energy Reviews

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

I've lived in my current house for 10 years and have used Green Mountain for 10 years. We live in an established 30 year old neighborhood with trees that line and cover the streets, but most of the house is not covered. I'm guessing our neighborhood is at least cooler overall than some of the newly built neighborhoods. We get the Texas heat with maybe some shade on the house when the sun rises and sets. Our house is 2,200 square feet, running on one A/C unit and we keep it at 75 degrees when we're home in the summer, 78 when we're out of the house at work, with little/no-use of the A/C in the winter (gas heater). We have those black solar screens on our windows, the original windows (none of that fancy gas filled energy saving double pane windows), the A/c is about 2 years old, and all brick construction.

Our bills for 2019 have ranged from $60 in January to $125 in July and the highest was $162 in September. I've never had a ridiculously high bill like one person said >$300 in a small apartment. When they e-mail me to let me know my contract is about to expire, I get on top of that to avoid what these other reviewers are probably experiencing (suddenly higher rates). I've actually received a call from a rep one time to ask me if I wanted to renew over the phone since I didn't respond to the e-mail. I hope this review is helpful and that more people consider using a green energy company.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

My rates went up after the contract period. But, it's up to you to ask the right questions when signing up and read the agreement to understand what you are getting. They do send a notification in the mail when your term is coming up. All you need to do is call and request a new contract rate at that point. With that being said, I called and was given excellent service from their customer service team in getting everything resolved and back at the preferred rate. I don't mind paying an extra $10/month to support green energy.

Get buying tips about Texas Electricity Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

So i found this company a couple of months ago, and I have nothing but good things to say. It looks like they might have done things differently in the past, but the negative comments I'm reading here are nothing like my experience. My bill went up about $8 from before i signed up, which is right about what they said it would do. I know that my flat rate is only good for 12 months but i can just call them up and get a new flat rate. It's pretty easy, and i feel really good about how i get my electricity now.

Original review: June 14, 2019

Most cost-effective way to get 100% renewable energy. I found this company to be true to its word. As long as you understand that product you are signing up for and the term of the contract, there should be no issue in prices raising after the fact. Just remember to call customer service at the end of your term to negotiate a new rate!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2020

This company has horrible sales methods!!! He basically told my husband we were required to give him our electric bill, that he works with the township and several nearby areas. I was supposed to have received a letter requiring me to show them my energy bills for proof of overpayment. My husband KNEW that I wouldn't be interested and yet he insisted! My husband told him I wasn't well, that I was in bed, but he said he had to see my bills, it was "required". I finally heard enough and went out there and asked him what service he was selling, electric, solar or gas, he lied, said neither. Then he told me he has to see my bills to show me "proof". I said no that I wasn't well and needed to rest and this wasn't a good time, he said, "Good then I'll be quick." "No no no," I finally lost my cool and told him I wasn't continuing the conversation with him and he said, "Well then, no worries, we'll be back."

Such a disturbing incident, I've never in my life seen such strong arm tactics to get customers! This borders on extreme and desperate tactics to keep their pockets fattened with all the money they're duping people out of by forcing them into joining. Sickened by this company. I will file a complaint the next time they come to my door!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Green Mountain Energy?

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

I moved out of my apartment on December 4th, having paid up through the end of November. Accordingly, I asked this company to send me a break down of the actual charges for the last 4 days, and I will pay it. They ignored me twice, then finally mailed me a bill for 2 months claiming it was due the day before I had even received it in the mail. I would never do business with these folks. Avoid them and choose someone else - you'll be much happier!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

I wish there was something like "zero" stars. I would give that to Green Mountain Energy. Beware of this business and do not get their service at any cost. I had a single bedroom apartment, I used to travel for work so I wasn't home Mon to Thu yet my bill was $200 a month. Then I called and inquired after 4-5 months and they changed my plan and brought it down to $100 a month which also I thought on the high side. But the best was yet to come...I bought a house in Aug and moved out. However, I kept my apartment lease until the end date of Oct as it was cheaper to keep the lease and run out its due course than cancel it. So Aug to Oct I did not live in the apartment at all - and guess what my bill was??? $125 a month! I called them and they had no explanation. Do not sign up for them at all.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

I have been with Green Mountain Energy for 2years. I live in a one bedroom, square foot 759. It is sad to say, but Green Mountain is dishonest. Honesty and loyalty goes a long way. I don't need you to discuss my bill, I need the company to be honest with their customers! For a one bedroom my bill is $347. If Green Mountain has any regards to their customers!?! Hopefully, the representatives will be honest when signing up customers! No, worries I will not be recommending anyone I know to do business with Green Mountain! Integrity?

Original review: Sept. 22, 2019

While I don't know if their practice is unique, the average billing feature is a scam. Essentially they are supposed to average your bill, giving you a reasonably consistent rate month to month. Sounds great, right? However, they raise rates constantly - which means you quickly begin accruing a monthly balance from the amount 'over the average' (the average is based on previous usage, so if the rate constantly goes up, you'll never be paying a consistent amount - it will ALWAYS be more). So when you want to cancel average billing, or switch providers, you owe the full deferred amount. Basically this functions as a unlimited-length contract with an extremely high cancellation fee. Awful and deceptive practice that should be illegal.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

Called on three separate occasions to set up new service. Was given the wrong information the first two times. At the end of the third time, I asked if there was anything else needed or would I walk into my new house in three days and the power would be on. I was told "Yes, there is nothing else needed. Your power will be on in 24-48 hours."

Arrived at the house on a Saturday Evening...guess what...NO POWER! The morons sent an email requesting more information even though I was assured I was 100% good to go. They then let me know that it would be another 48 hours, but with the weekend, like 72, before they would turn my power on. RIDICULOUS! I asked for a manager and after another hour of wasted time, mainly waiting on hold (Likely because they have so many other customers they have screwed over) and he said he would escalate it IF after he listened to a recording of the call that the email part was not explained to me. He, of course came back and said it was, even though it was NOT.

They have my SS, my new home address, all the information they could need in the world and the morons can't turn on my power. Utter incompetence. I will NEVER use GME, nor NRG, their parent company's products or services again. I will warn everyone I know or even bump into about their CRAPPY lack of customer service.

Green Mountain Energy author review by ConsumerAffairs

Green Mountain Energy is an electricity company in Texas focused on eco-friendly energy. The company offers electricity via renewable energy sources such as solar, wind and geothermal power.

• Eco-friendly: Green Mountain is focused on providing electricity that comes from renewable energy sources. Consumers interested in eco-friendly alternatives to other electricity providers will appreciate Green Mountain.

• Plans: Green Mountain Energy provides a different selection of plans, including the LITE-UP TEXAS Low Income Discount Plan, which helps qualified residents in Texas with electricity discounts in May, June, July, August and September.

• Rewards: Green Mountain offers customers who sign up for their plan rewards, including gifts like the Nest thermostat.

• Cost: Buying electricity generated from cleaner energy sources can be more expensive than buying energy from traditional energy sources such as coal or natural gas.

• Fees: Green Mountain Energy charges some additional fees, including a fee for opening an account and a fee for closing an account.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team