Bounce Energy

Compare Texas Electricity Companies

Research top Texas Electricity Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

They are terrible service company. I've been with them for 2 years. When I referred my friend, they doubled my bill than the usual charge. When I asked them why? They explained that I have a monthly plan and that is the price of the market. But my friend is the same and she got much lower rate than me. When I told them my friend rate, they said "this is your rate and you cannot compare with the others."

Then I canceled my account after 2 months. Later I found they did not give me the referral. They said because I canceled my account. But I canceled the account 2 months after my friend paid her bill. Don't go with this company. They do not have good service and customer service. The people over there are so rude. They do not take care of you. They are the worst I saw in Houston so far.

I made my first ConsumerAffairs account to make my first review. This company was THAT awful. I never get online to review a service but the experience is just too dreadful to ignore. We wanted to try a new company. We had been with TXU for many years and even though we didn't have any bad experiences we wanted to try different rates. With TXU we were at 10.9 per kw. With Bounce Energy we got a nice deal 9.6 per kw. Sounds nice right? This turned out to be hook line and sinker. Classic Bait and Switch.

The bill for the first month was 172 dollars. We have an apartment. Other than the AC and appliances we really don't waste much electricity at all. In fact, sometimes we rather sweat than use our AC because we don't want the bill to be too high. Why was the bill so high you ask? Here it is: 122 dollars' worth of KW used. That was Bounce Energy's part. Oh yeah then came the FUNNY surprise. Centre Point who owns Bounce Energy added a whopping 50 dollars of extra charges.

Now if you're not aware, centre charges ALL energy companies fees that the consumer/user is liable to pay. That's nothing new. The problem is that these charges usually amount to around 5-10 dollars. At worst 15 dollars. But 50??? So what were we being charged? They at least had the decency to tell us all the charges. We're talking an extremely long list of JUNK that we had never seen before.

We spoke with Bounce and they said and I quote "at times, centre point will raise their rates. In your case they raised the market rate to 15.9 per KW." My jaw dropped and I basically went OFF at that moment. No warning. So I then called other energy companies NOT owned by Centre Point and guess what they ALL said? They had never heard of any clients pay THAT much in extra charges. That was insane and they were absolutely 100% sure this was an error.

After a very long discussion Bounce Energy removed the charges and our bill was back to 122 which is still pretty high for an apartment that we barely stay at since we're ALWAYS working long hours. We quit Bounce 4 days after this happened and guess how much we had spent according to them? In 4 days we used 54 dollars worth of KW. NO WAY. We called TXU and immediately signed right back up with them. At the time I posted this review my first bill came and guess how much it was? 72 total. 72!!!

That means a whole month with TXU was 72. And 4 days with Bounce was 54? LOL. The decision to leave was easy and it's one of the best decisions I could ever make. I will not be one of those reviewers that says "don't sign up with this company" or "stay away." Ultimately the decision is yours. But I do have this to say. Be smart about who you choose as your provider. Be careful of any, and I mean ANY company owned by Centre Point. Otherwise my experience could happen to you or even a worse experience.

We've been with Bounce Energy for the past 2+ years and through their referral programs and cash-back rewards plan have accumulated over $600 of credits to our account. You can get $50 of credits when you sign-up use our referral code: **. This is a significant amount of savings for us, since our typical bill is around $100/mo (single family ~2000 sq ft home). This has so far covered over 6 months of energy usage! We're on the Thrifty Saver plan, which is variable but our rate has been quite reasonable. The referral bonus can change at times. I've had one statement where we received $225 of referral credits ($75x3)! Let me say, it's really nice to see the electric company owe me for a change. :) Again, use promo code: ** and we can both get a $50 credit on our bills (or more), and you can start referring others too!

As far as account management and ease of services, I have had no issues. We're enrolled in an auto-pay feature and receive an email with the statement details each month. Their website is also very straightforward to navigate and make payments from (we did this initially before setting up the autopay). Overall they are a great provider and seem to be trying to aggressively expand their customer base by offering great referral programs, which really benefit those who take advantage of it.

I had been very happy with Bounce Energy in dealing with them including handling minor billing issues. However, when my "contract" expired, without any notice from Bounce that it was about to do so, my bill more than doubled. As soon as I noticed the difference, I immediately contacted bounce to find out why my rates had gone up so drastically. They said I had not renewed my "contract" with them and therefore I was automatically put on a month to month. I told them I would gladly renew an annual contract but I wanted the previous month at the contract rate that I already had.

They refused despite the fact that I had been a reliable customer for several years including paying my bill early and being eligible for all their rewards and incentives for doing so. So, while Bounce was a decent company while they were locked into being so by contract, they are looking for the slightest opening to stick it to you as a customer and refuse to budge even slightly once they do. I would not recommend using them unless you are prepared to be on top of every thing they do. They are predatory and will take advantage of you if they can.

Bounce Energy is phenomenal. The prices are low, rewards are constantly offered, and the online customer service is instant! They are much better than my old electricity provider Just Energy. Automatic payments are so easy and simple, that you'll never have to worry about a late payment again. If you've had problems with energy providers in the past, this is the one for you! This will be my second year using Bounce Energy, and I've never run into any problems with them, plus their rewards system is awesome!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bounce Energy?

I've been with them for over 3 years, and don't plan on switching companies any time soon. I personally can't stand the heat and at my house the AC is on 24 hours a day, but my bill would never go higher than about $60 for my 2 bedroom apartment. I've been with them for over 3 years, and I've never had any issues or complaints.

I was on a variable plan. Last month was 11.7c/kWh. This month was 17.3c/kWh. There hasn't been any notification of the rate change. The company charges whatever they want because it is a "variable" plan. I was told there is no basis (e.g. index based) for the rate change. Will never ever use this company in future. As soon as I was shocked with such a high rate, I did the switch the same day.

I have been a customer of Bounce Energy for over 6 years. When my plan expired 2 months ago, I did not renew but was on a month to month plan. I had no idea by not renewing my plan immediately, my variable rate would increase by 60%!!! I understand a rate increase over the blistering hot summer months, but that is unconscionable that the rates would more than double. I called Bounce Energy but they were unable to assist me. I am so disappointed and immediately changed electric providers after having been a customer for over 6 years with Bounce Energy.

I have had Bounce Energy for over a year and always paid on time. They don't have it set up so you can pay from your bank account and as for their "rewards" program I had to call and email to ask where my reward was and both times they were late and made some sort of mistake so did not send it to me until I brought it to their attention. Also beware if you are on their month to month plan!! If you change to another provider wait until after your meter is read then change because I got talked into changing to TXU and the rep failed to tell me they were aware that Bounce raises your rate extremely high if you change... so my last bill rate was almost double. I think that's gouging and not legal so I will be following up with the Utilities commission to find out. The month to month plan supposedly doesn't have a fee to switch companies so that's how they apparently try to get around it so just beware.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Bounce Energy provides electricity to residents in three different U.S. states - Texas, Pennsylvania and New York. Bounce Energy is a company that gears their service towards residential customers.

• Customer service: Bounce Energy is easily contacted, and the staff at the company is known for being helpful for customers.
  • Rewards: Bounce Energy offers customers rewards, including $75 per year in shopping, dining and travel rewards, and a free month of electricity for loyal customers.
  • Rates: Bounce‚Äôs fixed rate electricity plans allow residents to avoid the fluctuating energy market.
  • Customer service: Rewards and gifts to customers can take a long time to be sent from the company to the consumer.
  • Fees: Bounce Energy charges a cancellation fees for anyone who wants to stop their service before the end of their contract.
  • Best for Residential customers