2x Award Winner
Selected for having one of the highest satisfaction rates for Best Customer Service and Best for Installation
3.6(2,273)
Author pictureAuthor picture
Author picture
Written by
Author picture
Edited by

2x Award Winner

About SunPower

SunPower provides green energy solutions for homeowners. It offers complete solar energy systems and battery storage options, and its comprehensive SunPower home solar warranty includes all components of the system — not just the solar panels — for added peace of mind. The company ensures only SunPower-certified installers handle solar installation jobs.

Pros & Cons

Pros
    • Comprehensive transferable warranty
    • Variety of finance options
    • Broad international dealer network
    Cons
    • Dealers may provide different levels of service
    • “Master dealers” aren’t available nationwide

Stars Rating

• 56%
    • 8%
    • 4%
    • 5%
    • 28%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunPower?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunPower?
      Page 13 Reviews 2035 - 2235
      Installation & SetupSavings

Reviewed Oct. 24, 2018

Our average monthly electric bills were sky high and we were looking for help. I spoke to other Solar companies without success. When I was approached by Chad with Sunsolar he explained everything and made the process simple to understand and the final installation was very clean and professionally installed. The monthly savings has been substantial. Thanks to the crew at Sunsolar for my SunPower solar system.

Pinned

That's great to hear you no longer have to worry about high electric bills, Robert. Thanks for choosing SunPower!

Reviewed Oct. 24, 2018

We decided to go solar in order to save money on our monthly utility bill. The solar system continues to perform beyond our exceptions on a daily basis. I would recommend to anyone thinking about solar to go with a SunPower system.

Pinned

Thanks for choosing SunPower, Alysia!

Installation & SetupPrice

Reviewed Oct. 24, 2018

We love our system, I was in the solar industry for two years and was always impressed by the quality of product and services provided by SunPower. They do an awesome job at vetting their service providers, this ensures a quality product, price and installation.

Pinned

Thanks Perry, that's a great vote of confidence to know that someone with solar industry experience chose SunPower.

Savings

Reviewed Oct. 24, 2018

We choose to go solar with The Solar Quote because of the savings they offered off our PG&E bill. The whole process was very simple and easy. I recommend anyone interested in solar for their home call The Solar Quote.

Pinned

Thanks Angie! Glad to hear you're saving money with solar.

Reviewed Oct. 24, 2018

With increasing electric bills, adding solar to our home was a no-brainer. AIR SUN SOLAR offered the best long-term solution to our energy needs. Their team of courteous professionals designed and installed the perfect system on our home using SunPower equipment. We now have the freedom to live like we want without being concerned about our electric bills. Since the system was installed in 2012 we have not had to pay any electric bills. In the summer we keep our house at a comfortable 72 degrees with two air-conditioners and a pool. When in the garage I leave the door to the house open and enjoy working in an air conditioned garage. The system has performed flawlessly from day one while we get energy, fresh from the sun delivered daily.

Pinned

Hi Charles! It's great to hear that your solar is helping you stay cool and comfortable in hot weather and live free of those pesky monthly electric bills. Thanks for choosing SunPower.

Reviewed Oct. 23, 2018

I was on the care program which I no longer qualified for. Which would bring my utility bills to a average of $250 a month. So I looked into quality home services and decided to go Solar. I leased the system, the install looks great! I received PTO March 2018 and as of today I only have a $14.59 true-up bill.

Reviewed Oct. 23, 2018

Got solar to save money. Arizona Solar Concepts was a great company to do the install. Fast and friendly install. Looks great and I didn't have to do anything. I requested a custom install with inverter in the garage and they did it! Would highly recommend.

Reviewed Oct. 23, 2018

I went solar in order to save money. I’m an investment minded person, and because SunPower panels degrade the least amount of any panel, I feel very secure with my investment. The warranties also gave me peace of mind that if I have a problem I’m going to be taken care of.

Pinned

Hi James, Great point about the degradation rate. Many folks don't realize that this means SunPower panels will ultimately make more power over time than conventional panels. Thanks for choosing SunPower!

Installation & SetupTech

Reviewed Oct. 23, 2018

Best product in the world and hands down the best warranty in the industry. No other solar manufacturers warranty even come close to SunPower's 25/25/25 "bumper to bumper warranty." My SunPower Dealer, Streamline Solar Power did an awesome job, great install from start to finish. Thank you SunPower and Streamline Solar!

Installation & SetupSales & Marketing

Reviewed Oct. 23, 2018

Went solar and had SunPower by Sun Solar install my system. Overall 10 stars. Perfect company to do business with. Process was smooth and zero pressure sales. Install and approval from PGE was done within 45 days. System overproducing and zero true-up bills now for past two years.

Maintenance

Reviewed Oct. 23, 2018

I've already saved $660.00 my first year with my SunPower solar system. My lease payment and utility bill combined is around $60 a month LESS than my utility old bill without the solar!! It's maintenance free, looks awesome, great for the environment, and it's saving me hundreds of dollars. I'm super happy I went with SunPower.

Pinned

Hi Christine, That's great to hear you're saving money with solar! Thanks for choosing SunPower.

Reviewed Oct. 23, 2018

We’ve been very happy with our SunPower solar system. It was designed to meet our electricity demands and it has exceeded our expectations. The installation looks great and the process with Ambrose Solar was amazing. The SunPower system gives us the ability to see what we produce and how much electricity we use which helps us manage our electricity consumption throughout the year. I highly recommend Ambrose Solar and SunPower if you are considering solar for your home. Ambrose Solar went above and beyond and we couldn’t be happier with our decision to go solar with Ambrose and SunPower.

Pinned

Thank you Ian! We love to hear good things about our solar partners! Congrats on helping to change how our world is powered.

Reviewed Oct. 23, 2018

The process with JP and SunPower was very easy and stress free. It's great having the comfort in knowing I have full coverage from my solar panels for my electricity needs and I also have peace of mind knowing I have the SunPower warranty behind them if anything does happen. Thank you JP and SunPower for the great experience!

Pinned

Thank you Chris! It's great to know our customers realize going solar can be easy.

Customer Service

Reviewed Oct. 23, 2018

We have had our SunPower system for only two years. In the past few months, we've noticed a significant decrease in our solar production. Apparently, one of our micro-converters has already malfunctioned. Numerous emails have been sent over the past month to resolve the issue. We've received zero response from SunPower; not even acknowledgment that our complaint has been received. Various executives such as Jo ** and Ken ** have even been copied on our emails to no avail. Severely disappointed in the non-existent customer service from a supposed 'highly reputable' company.

Pinned

Hello Fatima, I'm sorry to hear that you've had trouble reaching us. That's unacceptable, and we'd like to make it right. I see we have a case number associated with your inquiries (01414766) so I'll ask the customer service team to get back to you as soon as possible with an update.

Customer ServiceTechMaintenance

Reviewed Oct. 22, 2018

WARNING WARNING WARNING! I researched both the installer (Semper Solaris) as well as the manufacturer before purchasing my LESS THAN 2 YEAR OLD SYSTEM. Semper Solaris (SS) told me I could call them for any problems. In July of this year I thought my production was down and asked to look into it and never heard back. On Oct 8, I noted my production was down ABOUT 40%! Again contacted SS asking for them to look into it. No response. On Oct 12 I tried a third time and this time SS copied me on emails they sent that day to SUNPOWER (SP) about my problem. AND I sent 3 separate emails to SP MYSELF - one to customer support, one to technical support and one to Jocelyn ** based on info Semper Solaris provided. NOT ONE of those emails was ever acknowledged!

So THEN I did an internet search and found that in about the last 2 to 3 months - (basically involving August/Sept/Oct) the number of complaints and bad ratings at the Better Business Bureau, consumeraffairs.com, and even here on Yelp had gone WAY UP. And my personal experience has since echoed many of these complaints. On Oct 16 I called SUNPOWER directly AND my phone shows the call lasted over 1 hour and 14 minutes with most of that ON HOLD - in fact, although I was placed on hold multiple times, one stretch LASTED 37 minutes! I was told they had replied to my emails but used an incorrect email address? Gross incompetence or lie? Email clients AUTOMATICALLY enter the return address as we all know!

And I was still given the run-around about when my system would be repaired. First they were going to have to replace equipment so they could MONITOR my system for a while to judge the problem. I complained to Semper Solaris (SS) who I was under the belief would be servicing my system since THEY HAD INSTALLED IT, and was told they were no longer ALLOWED to service the equipment and had been warned that doing so would VOID my 25 year warranty! AND they were getting swamped with complaints about SUNPOWER for who they are installers - how about that!?

I believe strongly that this likely represents SUNPOWER RUNNING INTO AN UNEXPECTED WIDESPREAD EQUIPMENT PROBLEM WITH THEIR OWN PRODUCT AND NOT WANTING TO PAY Semper Solaris to help with the repairs - AND AT MY EXPENSE in that until it is repaired, I am wasting money going to SDGE in having to use power from the grid instead of my OWN solar power.

AND GET THIS - I have learned as a home and business owner over 35 years that occasionally it is best to 'go to the top'. In the maybe 5 times I have done that over 3 decades, involving an executive office has ALWAYS gotten at a minimum a polite/caring sounding acknowledgment. I emailed the office of Tom Werner CEO ** and his office did NOT EVEN HAVE ENOUGH CLASS TO RESPOND! So you CANNOT count on product reliability NOR service from this company. It is NOW Oct 22 and I've been given no further information about repair to my system - I'll continue to update this if/when repair happens.

Hi Jim,

We’re sorry to hear of your less than satisfactory experience with SunPower and our authorized dealer Semper Solaris, and hope you will accept our sincerest apologies.

We truly value our customers and I would like to personally assist you with making things right. I have sent you a private message and look forward to speaking with you soon.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Executive Service Supervisor

Customer ServiceTech

Reviewed Oct. 20, 2018

The system worked as advertised for the first 4 years, but then we had a couple of months of lower than expected production from the 18 solar panels, and it took over three weeks for a technician to arrive, and troubleshoot the problem. He was only interested in checking the monitoring system, and could not figure out why the system was underperforming. Customers need to understand what happens when their equipment needs support and maintenance. The customer service number always seems to have unusually high call volume. It took 10 business days for a scheduler to contact me about scheduling a site visit. It took another week to get someone to show up. Then the technician could only troubleshoot the monitoring system, and ignored the original issue of higher than expected electric bills.

Pinned

Hello Michael, We're sorry you couldn't get the information you needed during the trouble-shooting process. I have alerted the customer service team about your case, and you should expect to hear from them soon.

Reviewed Oct. 20, 2018

My electricity bills kept going up so I looked into solar energy services and I've done it twice. I got SunPower through a company called Baker Electric, which is also an installer for them. SunPower was a good option at the time and so I had them on my old house 6 years ago. Enrolling with them was extremely easy and having solar energy services has been great. So far, it is a very seamless effort. I got a smaller unit than I should've made, but it was my fault. Overall, SunPower is a good way to go.

Pinned

Hi Frank, Thank you for choosing SunPower!

Reviewed Oct. 18, 2018

I bought a home with a standard efficiency panel and soon thereafter I replaced it with a SunPower system. I was able to reduce the roof footprint while at the same time increase the amount of power on my roof. I now have less panels but make more energy every day. So glad I had a chance to upgrade to a SunPower system!!!

Pinned

Hi Mitch, Thanks for sharing your solar story. It's a great example of the benefits of choosing a high efficiency panel.

Reviewed Oct. 17, 2018

I had excellent service with this company. Got multiple bids but went with Sunpower. I have been very satisfied with my choices and I would refer this company to all my family and friends. Thank you, Sunpower. I like my system and the money it has saved me.

Thanks, Anthony!

Reviewed Oct. 17, 2018

I had a great overall experience with SunPower starting with the rep who came to my home and explained all of the information to us regarding our panels and how they would work. I’ve been very pleased with my power production and the initial installation was effortless and done within a few hours! I would highly recommend to family and friends.

Pinned

Thanks for choosing SunPower, Stacy!

Installation & SetupSales & Marketing

Reviewed Oct. 15, 2018

My SunPower experience was exemplary in all facets, from sales through installation and follow up. The production from my 360 w ac panels has exceeded my expectations. Only regret is I didn’t buy more initially, but resource restriction prevented me from doing so. Thank you SunPower.

Pinned

Thank you Matthew! You're helping to change how our world is powered.

Installation & SetupTechOnline & App

Reviewed Oct. 12, 2018

The solar product itself is awesome and operating better than I expected. The app is still a little confusing to me. I understand what I am producing but I don't seem to get an accurate reading of what I am actually using out what is being produced. The particular company that did the install was not the greatest with their attentiveness to detail and keeping me informed of the process. The sales person was excellent and did his best to go above and beyond my needs but it seemed that his company was not supporting him and me. Overall, I am extremely pleased with the product and will definitely recommend this to others (but not recommend the particular installer I used.)

Pinned

Hi John, Thank you for your constructive feedback. If you ever have questions about your monitoring app, just give us a call at 1-800-SunPower, so we can help out.

Reviewed Oct. 12, 2018

We I installed 14 kW of SunPower 350 black modules on our new home. They look awesome and are working really well. It’s great to see on the monitoring how early they wake up and start working and how late they continue to work. We installed the system in May and so far we are 120% solar. Hoping for Net zero, but since it’s new construction we had to guess on the system size. So far so good... Thank you True South Solar here in Ashland, Oregon for the perfect installation experience and SunPower were such a good looking and efficient system! I may be biased, but I highly recommend both of them!!

Pinned

Thanks for choosing SunPower, Eric!

Reviewed Oct. 12, 2018

I had an outstanding experience with SunPower by Positive Energy Solar and SunPower Equipment. A+ for everything. Service and equipment are top notch. Everything went smoothly and we are producing more energy than we originally hoped for.

Pinned

Thanks, Taylor, we love to hear about customers who are more than 100% solar.

Gaven increased rating by 3 stars.
      Tech
      After a positive interaction with SunPower, Gaven increased their star rating.

Reviewed Oct. 12, 2018

My whole grid failed. The installer has not been able to give me any updates on if and when it will be fixed. Also, I had no idea that it had failed till I got several months of high utility bills. Disappointed.

Reviewed Oct. 11, 2018

When you are looking for the leader in solar technology SunPower is the company. Clearly, they have the best warranty, most durable panels and quality installers like Photon Brothers. If you want peace of mind and reliability, use SunPower to power your home.

Thank you, John!

Reviewed Oct. 11, 2018

I love my solar panels!! At the end of my first year, my electric bill was $63 for the entire year. Before solar, I paid $225/month on average. My warranty is for 25 years on the panels and inverters. My solar panels were installed by SunPower by Stellar Solar in San Diego, and I couldn't be happier.

Pinned

That's great to hear, Dave. Glad you're saving money with solar.

Reviewed Oct. 11, 2018

Can't go wrong when it's the best. $9000 investment has saved me $1000 per year and only getting better with the rise of energy cost. If my memory is correct, SunPower is the only company with a real 25 year warranty.

Pinned

Hi Zach, Glad to hear you're saving so much money with solar. Yes, we have a very comprehensive 25-year warranty. Thanks for choosing SunPower!

Price

Reviewed Oct. 11, 2018

Amazing price, service and product. Literally every aspect of my system has been better than perfect. The system produces more power than expected and promised. The service has been 11/10 stars. And the price made me extremely happy when my energy consultant showed me.

Thanks, Brian!

Installation & SetupTech

Reviewed Oct. 11, 2018

Couldn't be happier with the decision to put SunPower on my home. My dealer was SunPower by Sun Solar. They really did a great job. Best looking solar in my neighborhood. The installers were clean and polite. I just received my monthly electrical "true-up" bill. I owe PG&E $9.88 for the first 3 months! So amazing! My neighbors had different a solar company (SolarCity/Tesla) installed the year prior and they still get a big Electric bill.

Pinned

Hi Scott, We're so glad to hear you're saving money with solar. Thanks for choosing SunPower.

Reviewed Oct. 11, 2018

Extremely satisfied customer - We have been able to enjoy the comfort of our home so much more with our system. At the peak of summer, we’re able to keep our home between 72-74 without worry of an outrageous PG&E bill!

Pinned

Hi Duane, That's great to hear that solar is helping to keep you cool during hot summers. Thanks for choosing SunPower.

Reviewed Oct. 11, 2018

From the moment we started our lease with SunPower, we have been very pleased with their service, their transparency, their reporting and their website. We have no complaints at all and I would highly recommend them to anyone who wants solar power.

Thanks, Ann!

Customer ServiceTech

Reviewed Oct. 10, 2018

When I came to purchasing a solar PV system for house I took my time and conducted some very thorough research before choosing SunPower. In the 2 1/2 years it took to reach this decision I learned a lot about how solar PV systems work and what the likely pitfalls are to purchasing a system. In the end it came down to the length and efficacy warranty along with the integration utilization of SunPower panels, inverters, mounting and monitoring systems. I enjoyed the sales/installation experience we had with our SunPower Elite Dealer, Solar Forward of Santa Monica CA. headed up by Andrew ** who never balked at answering any of my questions no matter how novice they were. I would happily recommend SunPower to anyone interested in getting the best Solar PV solution for their investment.

Thank you Phil!

Reviewed Oct. 10, 2018

I have had my solar panels from SunPower for 8 years. They have worked flawlessly since. I never think about it. And my bills are less than 1/10 of what they used to be! Best thing I ever did for my house!

Pinned

Thank you Lelah! That's great you've been solar for eight years. You are helping to change the way our world is powered.

Reviewed Oct. 9, 2018

Our sales rep was very knowledgeable and worked to make sure we would get the most coverage for our difficult two-story, cut-up roof. He didn’t pressure us but gave us the information so that we could decide whether or not we wanted solar. We were not familiar with the ins and outs of solar so this was all new to us. We’ve had the panels for one year now and our true up bill was almost $0 and we got our annual report being on a lease and our system overperformed the expectations by almost 1,000 kWh! And we haven’t even had them cleaned yet!! We were very pleased!

The only complaint is that our sales rep didn’t dig deeper into our personal situation to find out if a purchase vs a lease would have a better fit for us and I didn’t understand enough about how solar works and the tax credit at the time to know. Looking back I think the purchase would have been a better option for us so that’s a little disappointing but I know we’re still saving money overall and have the best producing panels on our roof with the best local master dealer in Quality Home Services (QHS) so we are grateful!

Pinned

Thank you for your review, Erica, and for your constructive feedback. We'll make sure to pass it along to our sales team.

Reviewed Oct. 8, 2018

Energy Concepts in Fresno Ca built a big system to meet our family’s needs. Our roof is small, making Sunpower the only reasonable answer to eliminating our electric bill. Our system is crushing our bill and we even got to turn down the AC a few more degrees to deal with our valley heat. SunPower is simply the best product with an unbeatable warranty.

Pinned

Thank you for your review, Jason. Great to hear our high efficiency panels are able to meet your energy needs on a small roof space and keep you cooler in the hot Calif. sun.

Sam increased rating by 3 stars.
      Customer ServiceTechMaintenance
      After a positive interaction with SunPower, Sam increased their star rating on April 5, 2021.

Updated review: April 5, 2021

Sun Power provided an agreeable remedy. The company was aware of a known issue with their product. They replaced faulty panels and related modules, they compensated me for the time that my system was off-line and not producing due to the system failure.

Original Review: Oct. 6, 2018

Updated on 11/05/2018: My system was offline (NOT PRODUCING ENERGY) all of April, most of August and September, all of October and November (to date). According to a company representative, there is a known flaw in the SunPower E20 solar panels and related components used in many consumer solar energy systems. Also, according to the company representative, all of my solar panels will need to be replaced, supposedly the new panels will be more reliable and cause fewer system failures.

Because of the system failure, my PG&E Solar True-Up will increase significantly. My last communication with a SunPower Executive Service Specialist was 10/19/2018. Since then I have received no replies to any of my voice or electronic mail messages. "SunPower warrants that for 25 years... its PV Modules shall be free from defects in materials and workmanship under normal application, installation, use and service conditions..." (SunPower Limited Warranty). THINK TWICE OR THRICE REGARDING DOING BUSINESS WITH SunPower!

Original Review: I purchased my SunPower residential solar energy system in 2013, and it was installed in 2014. This year (2018), my system was all of April due to "Grid Failure." After an extended waiting period, a service technician came to my residence (in early May), repaired my system and restored it to energy producing/online status. My system went offline again for most of August and September due to an "Electrical Arc Failure." Once again after an extended waiting period, a service technician came to my residence (in late September), troubleshooted my system and restored it to energy producing/online status. Approximately 30 minutes after the service technician departed my residence, the "Electrical Arc Failure" returned and my system went back offline.

Repeated calls to customer service (in the Philippines) and site visits have not produced a successful resolution. After the last service technician visit, I called customer service and spoke to "Maureen." She told me I would have to wait 3 to 5 business days for the site review report to be received and reviewed. I waited 10 business days and called customer service again (October 5th, 2018). After an extended time "waiting on hold," I spoke with "Van" who told me they were still waiting for the site report to be reviewed. She could not give me a date for another site visit, but said she would move my help ticket to expedite/rush status.

When my solar energy system is online it generates sufficient power to eliminate my electrical service utility bill. However, it is still offline and unable to generate or produce any solar energy power (which is its primary purpose). I have become most dissatisfied with SunPower's very poor customer service, with the extended wait times (multiple weeks) for service technician visits and with SunPower's inability or unwillingness to restore my system to energy producing/online status.

Hi Sam,
      I'm sorry for all the delays and difficulty you are experiencing in getting your system issues resolved. I have asked one of our Executive Escalation Specialists to take a look at your case and give you a call to discuss the details. You should receive a call within the next few days.
      Best regards,

Hillary

Reviewed Oct. 5, 2018

Good experience with SunPower products. They produced the needed power for my 1930’s home. Other products had lower output and did not work to meet my families' needs. I leased my system for a fixed monthly payment with zero money down. When it came time to sell the house the lease transferred without any problems.