2. Solar Energy

1.4/5 (9 ratings)

Find Solar Energy Companies partners near you

About Sunnova

Sunnova is a solar energy business that offers solar panels, home batteries and roofing services. The company provides financing choices, including $0 upfront cost options, and warranties that last up to 25 years. It also sells and installs Tesla Powerwall battery systems in some locations.

Find Solar Energy Companies partners near you

Pros

• Warranty up to 25 years
    • Tesla Powerwall installer
    • $0 upfront financing option

Cons

• Limited availability
    • Must request quote for pricing

Bottom Line

Sunnova is a solar energy company that provides solar panels, home batteries and roofing services. Schedule a free Sunnova estimate for custom pricing, including information on tax incentives and financing.

What is Sunnova?

Sunnova is a home energy supplier that sells solar power and battery storage. Its offerings, which include roof replacements, are available in 18 states across the United States. The company also serves customers in Guam, Puerto Rico and Saipan. Sunnova is an authorized provider of Tesla’s Powerwall home battery system, though these installations are only available in select states.

How does Sunnova work?

Sunnova provides solar energy setups, battery backups and complete roof replacements. When you request a free quote, a sales rep helps you find grants, tax credits and financing options so you can customize your solar power to your needs. Its systems are covered by Sunnova Protect service plans, which provide 25-year system component warranties, 10-year roof warranties, 24/7 monitoring, diagnosis, maintenance and replacement.

Sunnova financing and costs

Contact Sunnova for a free custom solar panel or battery backup quote. Typically, its home solar installations cost between $10,000 and $15,000, and Tesla Powerwalls run, on average, $5,000 to $15,000; however, you can find a variety of tax incentives and grants on the federal, state and local levels. During your quote, a representative walks you through available options. Sunnova also offers financing, including a $0 upfront option.

Sunnova FAQ

How long has Sunnova been in business?
    Sunnova was founded in Houston, Texas, in November 2012.
    Where is Sunnova available?
    Sunnova is available in 21 U.S. states and territories: Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Texas, Guam, Puerto Rico and Saipan. It offers solar-only services in New Mexico, Illinois, Pennsylvania and Delaware.
    Where is Sunnova’s headquarters?
    Sunnova is headquartered in Houston, Texas.
    Does Sunnova offer battery services?
    Yes, Sunnova offers add-on solar battery storage, and it can add Tesla Powerwall batteries to some new and existing solar setups.

Is Sunnova a good company?

Sunnova is a good choice if you're looking for solar power installation. It's a reputable solar power company that operates in multiple states and U.S. territories. Its installation services include robust warranties, financing options and, in most states, Tesla Powerwall offerings. Check out the company’s website to see if Sunnova services your area.

Sunnova Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sunnova?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sunnova?

Original review: April 15, 2021

Sunnova is and has been the most incompetent company I have had the displeasure to deal with from Installation through Service. Nor have they generated the minimum amount let alone "contracted" KwH amount. They took over 6 months to get the system installed, needed to go back to the township over 3 times to get their plans matched up to the installed system. Have fallen short every year in production. Apparently the system was not installed properly over 4 years ago as the inverter was never in contact with the main company. Now I have requested to enter a buy out and they have said yes but refuse to send the appropriate paperwork. Unprofessional and incompetent to say the least.

Original review: April 8, 2021

Sunnova has the worst customer service I have ever experienced. My system went down 9 months ago, it is still not correct. It took them over 5 months to get them repaired (because it's a lease, they had to approve it and send the workers) and now their own monitoring system is saying it's not communicating properly and the representative's answer is "don't use that app." My electric company reported they are not getting my credit for solar. Sunnova has flat out not responded to that. My electric bill is more than twice it was last year with a fully working system and they will not acknowledge an issue. They take responsibility for the system being down but will not honor the "Production Guarantee" in a reasonable time (as in 2022, when the system went down in 2020). Do not sign up with this company. Worst decision I ever made.

Get buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

I had a friend who had solar panels put in from this company and talked me into doing the same. The company makes you think that you will get a tax credit of a certain amount and that if you give the company the full amount your payment will not go up. My friend had his taxes done and the tax credit was a thousand dollars short. I called the company to ask what happens if you don't get the full amount of the tax credit, will the company adjust the price increase. Guess what they said. No. That they didn't guarantee the amount of tax credit you would get. So in order for your payment not to go up you have to pay out of pocket in order to match the amount the company came up with. The company is also very slow at responding to your emails. If you want solar do your homework better then me and read the very fine print. This company is shady and would not recommend them to anyone.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2021

My mother got talked into signing a contract with these people. They charge you whether the system produces energy or not, and they keep all the government tax incentives. After she passed they still won’t let her out of the contract. They call harassing me at least once a week. Do not do business with this very dishonest company!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

I am writing this post to warn other that if your are considering Solar-do not use any company related to Sunnova. I am leasing my solar and they are responsible for the maintenance. When Momentum contracted with me, I was told the they would be maintaining the solar. Two have my roof shingles have fallen off since then due to being loosened when the solar was installed. I have been trying to get them repaired for months. The most recent communication that I have received tells me that I am responsible for paying $950 for this repair. I don't think so. Therefore, I do not recommend Momentum Solar or any company related to them or Sunnova. I am hoping that by posting this that maybe I will get a positive response from a company that cares about their customer and/or reputation.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2021

This is the worst experience I have EVER encountered!! I bought my home in October, NO ONE would send me a copy of the contract and with everything COVID it was e signed. I have called this company at least 10 times and EVERY time they have lied to me, they change the price you pay, they show you $62 a month and then bill you $77 a month and then lie 100 times when you call. There is NO customer service. And all they say is, "Oh well you're stuck for 25 years and there is NO option," RUN AND RUN FAST, NEVER TURN AROUND, THIS IS A SCAM, my neighbor's electric bill is cheaper than this solar bill. RUN!!!!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2020

We are having a very difficult experience with transfer of ownership. Closing has been delayed over a month. Customer service representatives have been given us incomplete and/or inaccurate information. We have requested to speak with a supervisor. We were told supervisor would call us back. No call back even though we have been requesting everyday for a week.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2020

I have been trying to get Sunnova to send release paperwork for several weeks. My house is sold and waiting for documents from Sunnova in order to close. I have done everything that Sunnova asked of me. Yet, they are still holding up the sale of my home. I have called several times daily for the last month. I have received assurances that I would receive the release. When it doesn't come I call back and the customer service people start the process all over. I have spoken multiple times to supervisors. I have signed the final documents they sent. Yet, I still have not received release documents. This company has been an absolute nightmare to work with!

Find a Solar Energy partner near you.

Sunnova Company Information