1.1/5 (39 ratings)

Find Solar Energy Companies partners near you

About Sunnova

Sunnova is a solar energy business that offers solar panels, home batteries and roofing services. The company provides financing choices, including $0 upfront cost options, and warranties that last up to 25 years. It also sells and installs Tesla Powerwall battery systems in some locations.

Find Solar Energy Companies partners near you

Pros

• Warranty up to 25 years
    • Tesla Powerwall installer
    • $0 upfront financing option

Cons

• Limited availability
    • Must request quote for pricing

Bottom Line

Sunnova is a solar energy company that provides solar panels, home batteries and roofing services. Schedule a free Sunnova estimate for custom pricing, including information on tax incentives and financing.

What is Sunnova?

Sunnova is a home energy supplier that sells solar power and battery storage. Its offerings, which include roof replacements, are available in 18 states across the United States. The company also serves customers in Guam, Puerto Rico and Saipan. Sunnova is an authorized provider of Tesla’s Powerwall home battery system, though these installations are only available in select states.

How does Sunnova work?

Sunnova provides solar energy setups, battery backups and complete roof replacements. When you request a free quote, a sales rep helps you find grants, tax credits and financing options so you can customize your solar power to your needs. Its systems are covered by Sunnova Protect service plans, which provide 25-year system component warranties, 10-year roof warranties, 24/7 monitoring, diagnosis, maintenance and replacement.

Sunnova financing and costs

Contact Sunnova for a free custom solar panel or battery backup quote. Typically, its home solar installations cost between $10,000 and $15,000, and Tesla Powerwalls run, on average, $5,000 to $15,000; however, you can find a variety of tax incentives and grants on the federal, state and local levels. During your quote, a representative walks you through available options. Sunnova also offers financing, including a $0 upfront option.

Sunnova FAQ

How long has Sunnova been in business?

Sunnova was founded in Houston, Texas, in November 2012.

Where is Sunnova available?

Sunnova is available in 21 U.S. states and territories: Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Texas, Guam, Puerto Rico and Saipan. It offers solar-only services in New Mexico, Illinois, Pennsylvania and Delaware.

Where is Sunnova’s headquarters?

Sunnova is headquartered in Houston, Texas.

Does Sunnova offer battery services?

Yes, Sunnova offers add-on solar battery storage, and it can add Tesla Powerwall batteries to some new and existing solar setups.

Is Sunnova a good company?

Sunnova is a good choice if you're looking for solar power installation. It's a reputable solar power company that operates in multiple states and U.S. territories. Its installation services include robust warranties, financing options and, in most states, Tesla Powerwall offerings. Check out the company’s website to see if Sunnova services your area.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sunnova?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sunnova?

Original review: Sept. 7, 2022

Worst Customer Service. I sold my property and new buyers took over rest of the loan. I sold on 8/31/2022. Sunnova are still stealing away money from my bank account. I went to online and tried to deleted my recurring payments from the bank account, But I can't. They took September 2022 and said they will also take October 2022. People who work they don't have any ideas and they don't know the rules. You can not allow to speak to customer head or in charge of the Departments. The day I had a closing and my attorney called and asked for UCC number guy from customer service said they (Sunnova) don't have Mr. ** name but government records and lien is on my property. He does not know anything and can't talk to in charge of the Sunnova Company. I HAVE 3 systems from them. Two systems they I sold with my rental property. WORST, WORST, WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2022

I'm a new home owner, after my house was built, the developer was affiliated with Sunnova for solar system. I signed a lease contract with them. First, I had to call them and verify that their system is not integrate to the normal power that I also pay for if solar didn't provide enough energy. Sunnova told me that they did, however, besides paying them monthly, I was receiving large electricity bills while a single person in the house. 7 months later I was our of the house for a vacation for 3 weeks, I've noticed my bill was high and I live in sunny San Diego. I called my electricity company and they said to double check with your solar provider, they may be out of service. Indeed, I called Sunnova and they monitored my system and sent technician out, I was not getting anything from Sunnova for 7 months.

After many calls, finally I was sent to the right department of opening a credit case. Each time I was calling, I was promised that I will get a call back in an hr. timeframe for updates, however, I've waited weeks and no one called till I call back. And again, each time I call to check if I was credited, someone tell me that they will call me back and I wait weeks. Their wait time for calls is at least an hr., and this is way waste of time if you're busy working. It was to the point that I was frustrated and wanted to file a dispute because I'm not getting no where. I called them and let them know that this will be my approach since they're careless about you and CARE about your payments even though their horrible system was completely not working.

Finally, literally after a day of me telling them that I won't pay anymore and will take this to next level if I don't get credited, I got an email stating that they have an amount in $ of credit that will be paying out my upcoming bills. Their credit is not even a refund, it's a credit that they will use so they cover up your next bills, really horrible customer service.

This did not end, I got an email from them after a day of my bill payment that my payment is past due, so I called them and sent them emails to see why is this since they promised that they're covering up for my payments using the credit. And here I sit again, waiting hours on the phone to get hold of someone. Then they confirmed with an email that payment was made, just because I called them they took this quick action. And then I was told that their collection department will call me back to confirm Sunnova will cover for the next payments using my credit. Overall, horrible customer service and their agents have bad attitudes, their service is not 100% good, you will need to monitor frequently just in case if it's not working, and finally, you will waste a lot of time, energy, and money using Sunnova!!!

Get buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2022

We bought a house in April 2022 that had a Sunnova solar system installed. Per their agreement, the sellers of the house had to pay them off, meaning we own the system after signing. It is now August 2022 and we still do not have an account on file with Sunnova. We (and the sellers) have started the process to switch accounts months ago. The worst part is, I have to keep calling Sunnova and then they ask for more and more stuff; they are never proactive and reach out to us. I just called again today and they told me that despite submitting everything required three weeks ago (finally), the transfer still hasn't gone through and it will take longer. So now I have to wait an unknown amount of time (because they wouldn't give me a time frame) all while having zero idea if my system is even functional. I am thankful I won't have to send a penny to these people, but I am terrified of the day I ever need service because I can already tell it'll take weeks. I highly recommend looking into another company.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2022

This solar company installed solar panels and their predatory lease is preventing me from selling my home. Resulting in a financial hardship. This was not what I was told at time of lease. They are deceptive in the lease wording.

Original review: July 29, 2022

I purchased a new construction home that included a Sunnova PV solar system. While the home was being built, their customer service called with annoying frequency (it was under construction, so they had no information to pass); if I didn’t answer the call (I have a job), they would insist, calling sometimes hourly until I picked up and listened to them reciting their scripted remarks.

After we took possession of the home, the frequency continued, though the message changed—awaiting permission to operate from your utility company…” However, they stopped calling with that regularity just before the 90-day mark, when they sent the paperwork to request permission to operate…yes, it took 90 days for them to prepare the form. Then, they went silent. When I called to get an update, they started fabricating stories. One time I called, they said they that everything was ready and they were just waiting for final permission to operate.

On another call, they said that their inspector had been out and there was a note about a placard missing from the system (I have security cameras and it had been nearly 2 months since the last visit of a Sunnova person)--I asked which placard was missing, then while on the phone, I went to my system and read that placard to the rep and every other one posted there (about 10-12 in total)--then, I went to an earlier section of the community to look at the placards on their systems which had been active for months to compare with mine and none were missing. The tech said that there should be nothing preventing my system from being active in the next 1-2 business days. Hearing nothing, I called again and was told that they had no record of a missing placard or of my call 2 days earlier, and that they were still waiting for the electric company inspection.

Finally, I called the electric company myself, and learned that Sunnova was informed more than a month earlier that irrigation valves had been incorrectly placed, preventing them from permitting us to activate the system; the electric company forwarded me a copy of their email to Sunnova informing them of the issue. When I called Sunnova, they started the placard story again. I told the representative what the electric company had told me and she changed her story, then said that she wasn't supposed to discuss this with homeowners because it was between Sunnova and the electric company. At that point I reminded her that they were working on my behalf, that she was misinformed to think that I wasn't permitted to be informed about the system I purchased from them, and demanded to speak to her supervisor.

In the end, I coordinated with my builder to correct the placement of my irrigation valves (and the irrigation valves for the other 18 homes built in my phase of our development) and was granted permission to operate within 2 hours of submitting photos showing that the problem had corrected. Sunnova did absolutely nothing to resolve the issue and had never contacted the builder to tell them that there was an issue; they had their $27k from my installation and didn't care whether my system was ever turned on.

Bottom Line: Do not buy from Sunnova!!! You'd be better off buying the panels on your own and hiring people from the parking lot of your local box store to install them--you'd have the same level of service, but at least you wouldn't have paid top dollar for it! If you are stuck with them for whatever reason, don't trust a word they say, speak to the electric company yourself, and push them or they won't move.

Original review: June 29, 2022

They installed solar panels on my roof without my permission. They allowed a tenant to sign the contract and said they plan on enforcing a contract I did not sign. I put in a complaint with Trinity and Sunnova and they said I allowed them to do a credit check so that's all they needed to hold me responsible.

Original review: June 15, 2022

They prey on the elderly like my parents who weren't even able to read the contract and were lied to about total costs of over $40,000 and savings, of which there was none. They installed the panels first and then pressured and bullied my parents into signing the contract! In January my parent's home burned down, and my father was killed in the fire. My mother cannot sell the home until the contract with Sunnova is resolved.

Despite weekly and at times daily attempts to contact them for the past five months nothing has been done and nobody has given any answers on how to move forward. On top of that, they are still charging my mother monthly fees for an inoperable system on an unlivable house. So my mother is stuck with her home's contents being looted, unable to get it demolished and sold because Sunnova will not do anything or even speak to us. It is reprehensible to treat a grieving widow who has lost everything in this callous manner. DO NOT do business with this company!!!

Original review: June 10, 2022

I made the optional one time payment on the 18 month in the amount of 10,770.79 which is the amount I received for the federal tax credit. Payment was made on May 11, 2022 which was 2 days before the deadline of May 13, 2022. Sunnova returned my payment 7 days later without even trying to process payment and refuses to tell me why. Now I am forced to make a higher monthly payment for the remainder of the contract for the next 22 years. They are still willing to take that money but won’t keep my monthly payment as it was and refuse to honor original date I made payment. I am currently in the process of hiring a lawyer and going after them for this reason.

Original review: April 26, 2022

Hands down the worst experience ever working with SUNNOVA! As a retired senior citizen and after very aggressive by Sunnova sales agent, Mike **, I had Sunnova install a leased solar system on my roof, even though I asked numerous times they install a ground mount system. To my shock, they did the Demo and Install on my pitched roof in one day with an army (12 workers), tromping up and down on my flat roof to get to pitched roof, which explains why they didn't want to do the ground system because that would have taken a lot longer. This was a one day, quick in and out! In the process, they damaged both my flat and pitched roofs and I had/have, numerous heavy leaks. After four attempts over as many weeks, applying a cheap application of roof tar, the leaks ceased. Temporarily!

The following year, they appeared again, damaging my piano, rugs, and we have large water stains on the ceilings, none of which they've compensated me for! Then the first year, I received a REUP charge from SDGE of $4,200!!! More than 10 times a normal REUP charge. I then spent six months filing a complaint with the CSLB of California, which proved fruitless. Now I'm in a legal battle through Arbitration with SUNNOVA with their army of lawyers. I could write pages on the numerous areas SUNNOVA has been grossly unprofessional, dishonest, negligent, and unethical. Hire these scammers at your own risk!

Original review: March 28, 2022

This company is the worst solar company to get dollar from. My parents bought solar from another solar company and Sunnova somehow bought the contract. Ever since then it has been the worst experience from them. First My parents bought what was supposed to be a fixed payment with their contract. Then after my father passed in 2019 it has been one horrible experience after another. The payments went up and the solar stopped working for at least several month. All the while my mother was paying them and the electric company. They gave her a lame credit reimbursement to which she ended up Getting billed during that so called credit and now they claim she owes them and are threatening to remove her solar. On top of that she still is paying every month, but they want her to give them her routing number so they can take from her account. Not!!!

I've been on the phone with them numerous times and have many different case numbers. By far the worst customer service I have ever experienced! Nothing ever gets fixed. We are pursuing legal counsel and will let our lawyers handle this company. Advice. Do not get solar from them. Read all the negative reviews and don't believe the so called 5 star ratings. They probably work for the company. E **. Very Annoyed Son!

Find a Solar Energy partner near you.

Sunnova Company Information