Sunnova

Sunnova Reviews

1.2/5 (31 ratings)

Find Solar Energy Companies partners near you

About Sunnova Reviews

Sunnova is a solar energy business that offers solar panels, home batteries and roofing services. The company provides financing choices, including $0 upfront cost options, and warranties that last up to 25 years. It also sells and installs Tesla Powerwall battery systems in some locations.

Find Solar Energy Companies partners near you

Pros

• Warranty up to 25 years
    • Tesla Powerwall installer
    • $0 upfront financing option

Cons

• Limited availability
    • Must request quote for pricing

Bottom Line

Sunnova is a solar energy company that provides solar panels, home batteries and roofing services. Schedule a free Sunnova estimate for custom pricing, including information on tax incentives and financing.

What is Sunnova?

Sunnova is a home energy supplier that sells solar power and battery storage. Its offerings, which include roof replacements, are available in 18 states across the United States. The company also serves customers in Guam, Puerto Rico and Saipan. Sunnova is an authorized provider of Tesla’s Powerwall home battery system, though these installations are only available in select states.

How does Sunnova work?

Sunnova provides solar energy setups, battery backups and complete roof replacements. When you request a free quote, a sales rep helps you find grants, tax credits and financing options so you can customize your solar power to your needs. Its systems are covered by Sunnova Protect service plans, which provide 25-year system component warranties, 10-year roof warranties, 24/7 monitoring, diagnosis, maintenance and replacement.

Sunnova financing and costs

Contact Sunnova for a free custom solar panel or battery backup quote. Typically, its home solar installations cost between $10,000 and $15,000, and Tesla Powerwalls run, on average, $5,000 to $15,000; however, you can find a variety of tax incentives and grants on the federal, state and local levels. During your quote, a representative walks you through available options. Sunnova also offers financing, including a $0 upfront option.

Sunnova FAQ

How long has Sunnova been in business?
    Sunnova was founded in Houston, Texas, in November 2012.
    Where is Sunnova available?
    Sunnova is available in 21 U.S. states and territories: Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Texas, Guam, Puerto Rico and Saipan. It offers solar-only services in New Mexico, Illinois, Pennsylvania and Delaware.
    Where is Sunnova’s headquarters?
    Sunnova is headquartered in Houston, Texas.
    Does Sunnova offer battery services?
    Yes, Sunnova offers add-on solar battery storage, and it can add Tesla Powerwall batteries to some new and existing solar setups.

Is Sunnova a good company?

Sunnova is a good choice if you're looking for solar power installation. It's a reputable solar power company that operates in multiple states and U.S. territories. Its installation services include robust warranties, financing options and, in most states, Tesla Powerwall offerings. Check out the company’s website to see if Sunnova services your area.

Sunnova Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sunnova?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sunnova?

Original review: April 26, 2022

Hands down the worst experience ever working with SUNNOVA! As a retired senior citizen and after very aggressive by Sunnova sales agent, Mike **, I had Sunnova install a leased solar system on my roof, even though I asked numerous times they install a ground mount system. To my shock, they did the Demo and Install on my pitched roof in one day with an army (12 workers), tromping up and down on my flat roof to get to pitched roof, which explains why they didn't want to do the ground system because that would have taken a lot longer. This was a one day, quick in and out! In the process, they damaged both my flat and pitched roofs and I had/have, numerous heavy leaks. After four attempts over as many weeks, applying a cheap application of roof tar, the leaks ceased. Temporarily!

The following year, they appeared again, damaging my piano, rugs, and we have large water stains on the ceilings, none of which they've compensated me for! Then the first year, I received a REUP charge from SDGE of $4,200!!! More than 10 times a normal REUP charge. I then spent six months filing a complaint with the CSLB of California, which proved fruitless. Now I'm in a legal battle through Arbitration with SUNNOVA with their army of lawyers. I could write pages on the numerous areas SUNNOVA has been grossly unprofessional, dishonest, negligent, and unethical. Hire these scammers at your own risk!

Original review: March 28, 2022

This company is the worst solar company to get dollar from. My parents bought solar from another solar company and Sunnova somehow bought the contract. Ever since then it has been the worst experience from them. First My parents bought what was supposed to be a fixed payment with their contract. Then after my father passed in 2019 it has been one horrible experience after another. The payments went up and the solar stopped working for at least several month. All the while my mother was paying them and the electric company. They gave her a lame credit reimbursement to which she ended up Getting billed during that so called credit and now they claim she owes them and are threatening to remove her solar. On top of that she still is paying every month, but they want her to give them her routing number so they can take from her account. Not!!!

I've been on the phone with them numerous times and have many different case numbers. By far the worst customer service I have ever experienced! Nothing ever gets fixed. We are pursuing legal counsel and will let our lawyers handle this company. Advice. Do not get solar from them. Read all the negative reviews and don't believe the so called 5 star ratings. They probably work for the company. E **. Very Annoyed Son!

Get buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 28, 2022

I decided to go with solar to save money as it was proposed to us. This system in total is $87k and they can't even build a system to sustain our lifestyle. They kept pushing us off saying it will adjust over time. Now we are paying the electric company and this lease. Oh and they pushed it off until your 7 days are up to cancel your contract. When we bring any issue up all we get are generic answers pertaining to our contract. We know our darn contract but they should have built our system accordingly. That's a lot of money to not have it working correctly.

They also say how you'll get 22k back for taxes to apply to the credit so you can have the choice to keep a low payment. Well we will never see that according to our CPA because it's only given little at a time after writing off everything. So now we pay Electric company and Sunnova plus after the 18 months their lease payment will go. So now we will be paying double. Such a scam. No money saved here. We have tried numerous things to bring our usage down but we still can't sustain even half a night on our batteries. Idk where they even came up with this system to accommodate our normal lifestyle let alone we couldn't even get them to sustain a very fragile lifestyle. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY WITH THIS COMPANY!!!!

Original review: March 25, 2022

We have been planning for a kitchen remodel, and need to open a window on the wall where the solar box is currently located. I've started to call the company to request to "relocate the solar box" since the beginning of November last year, and emailed the pictures as requested. I had been calling and calling, finally on January 4th this year some technician showed up at our house, took a look of what is needed and took pictures. According to him, it will be straightforward job that probably will only take couple hours. And he said that someone will call me to provide a quote in a couple of days. Then nothing, I've never received any phone call about the quote.

I've been again calling and calling for the last 3 months, and still no quote. At the beginning of March, I've received an email from them that an “Issue Resolution Specialist” was assigned to my case and I can contact her directly. So I emailed her back and followed up after a week or so. Still nothing, the so-called resolution specialist never picked up her phone, and on March 15th, the directly line she provided in the email no longer in service. So I’ve start to the 1-800 number again, and the only response I’ve got so far is: "I escalated your case, it is still pending for a quote, we will call you as soon as there is an update." And as of today, there is still no quote. I can’t imagine any company can possibly do business like this, I am afraid the company will disappear in the thin air one of these days. Please Do Not buy or rent any solar panels from Sunnova. It will be a nightmare that you can’t wake up from.

Original review: March 20, 2022

Called about a tear on my roof due to high winds and storms living by the coastal area is more prone to having higher winds. Sunnova has a 10yr warranty in their contract and under that contract they have a home repair promise that they should abide by. Well after I called for a claim ticket I gave them 5 days and not heard back about the ticket. When I called them back the representative said that they won't go through the process of getting someone to fix all because it was not affecting the panels!!?? I was a bit thrown off.

I explained to the representative that if rain and wind over time will eventually get into the wood to warp and then those 40lb panels will be coming down in my house!! Maybe that is when they will send someone to repair it... I apologized to the representative since they are only the messengers to pass on the message that the claims department takes care... Word of advice honor your policies when you get customers buying your 55k dollars worth of solar!!

Original review: March 8, 2022

Sunnova's system was turned on in October of 2014. Within a couple of days I called Sunnova to inform them the system was not operating properly, I was told it would take awhile to determine if the installation was alright. Sunnova tried to collect lease payments before the system was operational. We dealt with that but had no idea of the future frustration! I monitored the production and kept calling, e-mailing sunnova about my concerns regarding the low output of the system. We received our first full month's bill from the local power company and it was higher than the year before. At this point I opened a "case" with sunnova. We had the power company do an audit and were informed the system was inadequate. We had the installation contractor and a representative from Sunnova both agree with the power company.

It was sunnova who determined the size needed, 10kwh but the system had not produced more than 7.5kwh at any point during any day under optimal conditions. For 9 months I complained all the while paying the lease payment and power bills that combined were driving us to the poor house. It should be pointed out that we agreed to go solar to save money on our energy needs. I am a disabled retiree on fixed income. After 9 months it was impossible to continue to pay the lease and the power bills so I stopped payment on the lease. Less than a month later, Sunnova offered to lower our lease payment but refused to fix the system. After carefully going over all the information available we felt that Sunnova should fix the system and we would continue to pay what we agreed to in the first place. This triggered a back and forth for months and months.

Finally, after being frustrated by all of Sunnova's excuses, I paid $500 so sunnova could come up with a plan to fix the system. Crickets. We paid the back lease payments to refinance our mortgage through the VA and we offered to start paying the lease payments if Sunnova would fix the system, again Sunnova refused. Our Congressional Representative Susie Lee's staff determined there was no governmental agency protecting consumers from unscrupulous solar companies. In fact these companies have a license to steal.

We spoke to several attorneys and hired one to send a letter explaining Sunnova's violations of the lease agreement. Sunnova laughed at us and told us no way were they interested in doing anything to fix the situation. We could not afford to go to arbitration because the attorneys all said we would win but still lose because there was no way to make Sunnova honor any judgement and the world believes that the solar companies are going to save the Planet? After reading some of the complaints by Sunnova customers it is unbelievable that Sunnova can still be in business. What happened in our Nation that allows the business practices of Sunnova?

Original review: Feb. 3, 2022

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!! The lease is a scam. The system barely works, I still pay PG&E 600.00 per month and the payment for the solar is 400.00. Sunnova says it is working, and one inverter is not even powered on because the one and only repairman that I could get out here, finally after 2 years said it was dangerous to have on and to keep it off. But Yay? The production scam dashboard says I am getting the accurate amount of kw????

I have called Sunnova so many times and to no avail. They book repair appointment and then they change it without even notifying me. It has been 6 months and no one has shown up. One time, I waited and waited for the repairman and in the morning, like 4:00am, I received an automated text stating the "Congrats your Sunnova Dashboard profile shows you are producing the correct amount of energy. Call us at 866-blah blah if you have any questions." And that was the "repair service response".

I am selling my house and it might kill the deal if I can't get it repaired. Who is going to buy this nightmare. My home is stunning and this company has held me hostage for over two years. I have been to an attorney, and he said if the deal dies, I can sue Sunnova...big deal.. All I want is the bloody thing to work. I have paid 89,000 already and I owe 49,500. I have stopped paying but it doesn't seem to matter what I do or say or anything. It falls on deaf ears, I need to get the media involved. This company is horrific. They should not be allowed to hold home owners hostage, And they clearly do. Look at all the reviews. I am sick over this. Shame on these greedy greedy CEO and stockholders.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2022

The panels seem to work well. Honestly, between the smaller electric bills and the solar bills, I'm not sure I'm saving much money, but it's kind of cool to have the solar to help with my energy needs. From the very beginning with this company (as Sunstreet, who installed solar in my new-build house - I didn't have a choice) has exhibited a corporate incompetence. Their contracts are terribly written, and as someone who knows better, I discussed several parts of the contract with them before I'd sign. The only consolation knowing that if we ever go to court over the vague and undefined items in their contract, I will prevail because they wrote the thing.

From there, I get an email every month a couple of days after payment is due telling me my payment due date has passed. Even though I've always paid all my bills with them by that due date. If your software can't send reminders that mean something, what use is it? The cherry on this sundae was this month, when they changed software systems, rejected all their customers' third-party payments, then treated them all like deadbeats, sending dunning emails and dunning phone calls within days of the first-of-the-month due date.

It took four phone calls (they blamed it on my bank) to determine the problem came from their software (something they were aware of, but instead of copping to it and fixing it, they sent me on a wild goose chase to straighten it out with my bank), but they never once owned up to their problem or apologised for the issues caused to their customers. The email they sent about it (after the dunning calls and emails) said some customers were affected, but they had no way of knowing who. Again, your computer can tell you that. If it can't, you're doing it very, very wrong. I just think they don't want to do the work or take the blame.

A couple of days ago, I was on the phone trying to straighten it out, and the CSR said she was taking phone numbers of customers in the situation and would be calling them when the software issue was fixed and we could submit our payments again. This morning, I got another dunning call. After telling the CSR "attempting to collect a debt" what my experience was, and that I had not yet received the call that their software was sufficiently fixed to set up payments, she pivoted and said the call was to inform me the system was now working and I could re-submit my payment. The CSRs are very nice, and want to be helpful. They are greatly hindered by the scripts they're forced to follow (which were never written for this stupid situation), and by the company's poor actions.

I'm stuck with this mess of a company. If this were a cable company or a phone company or a grocery store or any other place, they would no longer get my money. I'd find another provider or go without. Unfortunately, I had no choice in the matter from the start and there's nothing much I can do now. If you're shopping for solar providers, you can still choose better than Sunnova.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2022

We are extremely unhappy with Sunnova. We were told that the system they installed would be sufficient to meet our energy needs. In fact, we were stuck with a huge true-up bill at the end of the year. They keep telling us that the system provides the energy that they said it would, but the key issue is that it DOES NOT provide energy sufficient to meet our needs as they said it would. Our energy usage had not changed. So we were fraudulently sold a system that does not meet our needs. DO NOT USE SUNNOVA.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2022

I only get a resolution of my issues if I file a complaint, it’s how my roof damaged during installation was resolved. My current issue is their lack of information when asked for shipping information on my modern replacement and inverter replacement to arrive. Unfortunately due to my 25 yr lease, I still have to pay for an outdated system and the power bill in full instead of the “savings” that its solar panels was supposed to provide. This company has poor supply management overall. Basic information such as being able to provide an estimated ship date should be available, it’s been 2 months and I get the same response whenever I called their so-called “customer service.” More like a NONE service at this point.

Find a Solar Energy partner near you.

Sunnova Company Information