1.0/5 (36 ratings)

Sunlux

Sunlux

Get Started

About Sunnova

Sunnova is a solar energy business that offers solar panels, home batteries and roofing services. The company provides financing choices, including $0 upfront cost options, and warranties that last up to 25 years. It also sells and installs Tesla Powerwall battery systems in some locations.

Find Solar Energy Companies near you

Pros

• Warranty up to 25 years
    • Tesla Powerwall installer
    • $0 upfront financing option

Cons

• Limited availability
    • Must request quote for pricing

Bottom Line

Sunnova is a solar energy company that provides solar panels, home batteries and roofing services. Schedule a free Sunnova estimate for custom pricing, including information on tax incentives and financing.

What is Sunnova?

Sunnova is a home energy supplier that sells solar power and battery storage. Its offerings, which include roof replacements, are available in 18 states across the United States. The company also serves customers in Guam, Puerto Rico and Saipan. Sunnova is an authorized provider of Tesla’s Powerwall home battery system, though these installations are only available in select states.

How does Sunnova work?

Sunnova provides solar energy setups, battery backups and complete roof replacements. When you request a free quote, a sales rep helps you find grants, tax credits and financing options so you can customize your solar power to your needs. Its systems are covered by Sunnova Protect service plans, which provide 25-year system component warranties, 10-year roof warranties, 24/7 monitoring, diagnosis, maintenance and replacement.

Sunnova financing and costs

Contact Sunnova for a free custom solar panel or battery backup quote. Typically, its home solar installations cost between $10,000 and $15,000, and Tesla Powerwalls run, on average, $5,000 to $15,000; however, you can find a variety of tax incentives and grants on the federal, state and local levels. During your quote, a representative walks you through available options. Sunnova also offers financing, including a $0 upfront option.

Sunnova FAQ

How long has Sunnova been in business?

Sunnova was founded in Houston, Texas, in November 2012.

Where is Sunnova available?

Sunnova is available in 21 U.S. states and territories: Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Texas, Guam, Puerto Rico and Saipan. It offers solar-only services in New Mexico, Illinois, Pennsylvania and Delaware.

Where is Sunnova’s headquarters?

Sunnova is headquartered in Houston, Texas.

Does Sunnova offer battery services?

Yes, Sunnova offers add-on solar battery storage, and it can add Tesla Powerwall batteries to some new and existing solar setups.

Is Sunnova a good company?

Sunnova is a good choice if you're looking for solar power installation. It's a reputable solar power company that operates in multiple states and U.S. territories. Its installation services include robust warranties, financing options and, in most states, Tesla Powerwall offerings. Check out the company’s website to see if Sunnova services your area.

Sunnova Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sunnova?

Original review: Jan. 30, 2023

We got solar panels through Sunnova about two years ago. We were told that at most we would have to pay $8 to electric company and the previously calculated $94 to Sunnova. Well, here we are two years later and paying more in the winter than our highest ever (in the summer). Before panels we used at most $225 in the summer when ac is on all day and night. NOW, we're paying $130 (previously known because we kept the tax incentive) plus close to $100 a month of electricity. We were told over time the panels would have enough stored energy that we would get checks from electric company.... lol, not even close. No customer service, they say our system's working. Refuses to send a rep out, and if we want more panels, we have to pay, which is another lie they told us at beginning.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2023

I had solar panels installed by Trinity Solar and the operation and billing is handled by Sunnova. The panels worked for about 8 months and stopped working. Sunnova doesn't notify you of this, you figure it out when your electric bills skyrocket. I called for service which took over a month to get. This was in October and as of yet there is no idea when the part will come in. Sunnova insists you must continue to pay your monthly bill (mine is $100.00) even though they are producing nothing and you are paying a full electric bill.

Also Sunnova is supposed to review your year's worth of production and if it is under what was stated in the contract you get a refund. I am well under my kw hours guaranteed for the year but they refuse to look at that until my unit is fixed, whenever that might be. I was told some people have waited a year or longer to be fixed. The parts that they can get are installing new systems that make them money, not fixing the broken ones. The customer service merely repeats the same idiotic statements over and over with no solution. Please do not go with Sunnova or there is a good chance you will be very disappointed.

Get buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2022

We entered into our lease with Sunnova believing that their solar system was beneficial. Instead we electric over $1000 and still paying $600 monthly to sunnova. No help from support or resolutions. We sent all documents of meter readings our electric bills and the fact that they still debited our monthly payments and decided to suspend after they took our November payment is horrific. Then they say they will give us 1 month of courtesy credit... That's not a solution. That's not any kind of help. How is a courtesy credit going to put food on my table or pay off the electric bill. This has been a nightmare.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2022

This company will deceptively lure you in with a $1500 bonus upon installation, but unless you're desperate, don't take it. They'll install a $10k system, but charge over $20k for a buyout and they won't even let you buy it out until 7% of an average human's lifespan has elapsed. (5 years). Trying to sell your house? Nope! Not if you use Sunnova. Because Sunnova will screw you over with the leasing agreement and delay your closing date due to their incompetency. If you're considering solar panels, either DIY and collect the solar tax credits yourself or hire a contractor. Not these scammers. They're charging double what it should cost AND collecting the 30% solar tax credit that should belong to the homeowner. What a scam.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2022

Let me say that being nice on the phone does not qualify for excellent customer service in any way when all the "nice" people are merely just answering the phone. 0 stars for anyone who answered the phone having knowledge of their product. 0 stars for knowledge of the process for filing a warranty claim. 0 stars for follow-ups for consumer concerns. 0 stars for being able to properly escalate time-sensitive issues.

Most times I read these reviews thinking that people are just angry, but I am no longer upset about the amateurish customer service reps employed by this company. It's a farce. Please save your time and money by finding a more reputable company that cares about their customers. Sunnova needs appropriate departments with actual people that you can speak with who know how to handle claims and not just "the internal team" is handling/reviewing it. They never connect you to that team and you never get to talk to them. I imagine it's because that team doesn't exist. If you care about your investment, FIND ANOTHER COMPANY.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2022

My system lost communication with my electric company 5 months ago. I've called numerous times... written lots of emails. They respond the same every time whether on the phone or on email. To quote an email, "Per records of Operations and Maintenance, the team is pending technician availability for scheduling." That's the last I hear from them. Waiting on a tech. I called again this morning and Oscar gave me the same answer. I can't talk with anyone else... He can't get me to a supervisor or to the maintenance scheduling team. Nothing. Their system was installed in a Lennar community.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2022

Customer service CANNOT HELP WITH PROBLEMS. Had a problem with my meter not reading right [costing me OVER 600$]. The meter was sending somewhat correct info to Sunnova but the numbers on the meter [that my utility reads] was only about 1/5 of what was being sent to Sunnova. Sunnova basically told me, "Tuff **. Contact your utility." My utility said it was Sunnova's problem since it was their meter. Meanwhile I am out over 600$.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2022

Worst company that I have ever dealt with. We got the panels but then had to move. In order for the sale of our current house to go through, our panels had to be paid off. Which I did. It's been 4 days since that payoff and they still haven't provided me the letter saying that they have been paid off. Because of this, I am going to be without a home as of tomorrow since the house we are buying was contingent on the sale of our current house. All they had to do was provide this letter and even after calling numerous times, they still haven't provided anything to me or the company we're selling our current home to that says these things have been paid off. The panels weren't even that good. This is a horrible company, and I would avoid them at all cost. There are much better options in the San Antonio area!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2022

Sunnova has baited me After watching their commercial on TV, I contacted them to inquire about solutions to both the constant blackouts and unpredictable energy bills. Sunnova has baited me,75 year old retired man, into signing a contract based on lies. Sunnova subcontracted Pura Energia to conduct the installation of 10 fotovoltaic panels - without following the national energy company requirements - which requires submitting the project documents along with a $100 administrative fee, BEFORE the installation as LUMA (national energy company) would monitor the proper installation and approve it. I was denied my right to have LUMA oversee the installation and to this date I do not have a net metering system because they had no idea I had solar panels on my home. I only learned all of this after I called my energy company.

I have not receive the service they promised, my battery stopped working the day before Hurricane Fiona, there have been NO savings and I to throw away $300 in perishables. I spent 15 days in 98 degree weather and 98 degree humidity. Despite, daily calls and/ or emails I still do not have a working battery or know when they will submit the proper documents for the correct meter system. THIS COMPANY NEEDS TO BE SHUT DOWN!!!

Original review: Nov. 9, 2022

My Tesla solar battery was improperly installed a year ago and it still doesn't work. I have an email with a service date and time and they didn't show up. I have ask to speak to a supervisor on several occasions and I'm told a supervisor will call in 24 to 48 hours. I have advised them that I have stopped making payments and I will see them in court.

Find a Solar Energy partner near you.

Sunnova Company Information

www.sunnova.com

Check out our buyers guide top picks

Our Buyers Guide Top Picks: