2. Solar Energy

1.2/5 (20 ratings)

Find Solar Energy Companies partners near you

About Sunnova

Sunnova is a solar energy business that offers solar panels, home batteries and roofing services. The company provides financing choices, including $0 upfront cost options, and warranties that last up to 25 years. It also sells and installs Tesla Powerwall battery systems in some locations.

Find Solar Energy Companies partners near you

Pros

• Warranty up to 25 years
    • Tesla Powerwall installer
    • $0 upfront financing option

Cons

• Limited availability
    • Must request quote for pricing

Bottom Line

Sunnova is a solar energy company that provides solar panels, home batteries and roofing services. Schedule a free Sunnova estimate for custom pricing, including information on tax incentives and financing.

What is Sunnova?

Sunnova is a home energy supplier that sells solar power and battery storage. Its offerings, which include roof replacements, are available in 18 states across the United States. The company also serves customers in Guam, Puerto Rico and Saipan. Sunnova is an authorized provider of Tesla’s Powerwall home battery system, though these installations are only available in select states.

How does Sunnova work?

Sunnova provides solar energy setups, battery backups and complete roof replacements. When you request a free quote, a sales rep helps you find grants, tax credits and financing options so you can customize your solar power to your needs. Its systems are covered by Sunnova Protect service plans, which provide 25-year system component warranties, 10-year roof warranties, 24/7 monitoring, diagnosis, maintenance and replacement.

Sunnova financing and costs

Contact Sunnova for a free custom solar panel or battery backup quote. Typically, its home solar installations cost between $10,000 and $15,000, and Tesla Powerwalls run, on average, $5,000 to $15,000; however, you can find a variety of tax incentives and grants on the federal, state and local levels. During your quote, a representative walks you through available options. Sunnova also offers financing, including a $0 upfront option.

Sunnova FAQ

How long has Sunnova been in business?
    Sunnova was founded in Houston, Texas, in November 2012.
    Where is Sunnova available?
    Sunnova is available in 21 U.S. states and territories: Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Texas, Guam, Puerto Rico and Saipan. It offers solar-only services in New Mexico, Illinois, Pennsylvania and Delaware.
    Where is Sunnova’s headquarters?
    Sunnova is headquartered in Houston, Texas.
    Does Sunnova offer battery services?
    Yes, Sunnova offers add-on solar battery storage, and it can add Tesla Powerwall batteries to some new and existing solar setups.

Is Sunnova a good company?

Sunnova is a good choice if you're looking for solar power installation. It's a reputable solar power company that operates in multiple states and U.S. territories. Its installation services include robust warranties, financing options and, in most states, Tesla Powerwall offerings. Check out the company’s website to see if Sunnova services your area.

Sunnova Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sunnova?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sunnova?

Original review: Oct. 20, 2021

I've been a Sunnova customer for about 3 plus yrs, And the system works fine as advertised. But recently I was told that I needed a roof and my Solar company should've NEVER installed solar on my current roof. I then had to go thru the costly process of having the panels removed, Along with calling at least 20 times to get Sunnova to send the agreement for the work to be done, It's been since early September and I'm still being told it will be 3 business Days for the agreement to be sent. It's already been 4 weeks and still no agreement in my email. I've asked to speak to a manager and was told that someone would give me a call because they don't have the ability to transfer calls....Never received a call from anyone.

I'd recommend solar to anyone, Just don't deal with Sunnova...The winter is coming and I have a leaky roof...The roofing company along with the removal company (Trinity) is just waiting for Sunnova which seems content on just taking your payments and provide no answers and move with no sense of urgency, Let alone call you back...I just hope the winter holds off so I can get the work done, It's taking longer to send an email the the roofing company needs to do the roof....That's crazy. Sunnova just seems interested in collecting money, If you don't think you will ever need them for anything...They might work for you, But if you want a company that will stand by their work and provide good service....I suggest you look elsewhere.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2021

Purchased a home in 2021 with panels installed in 2019. Have had nothing but leaks. Hidden costs as the contract didn't clarify the lease escalates every year meaning at 25 years I'll be paying more than ever. Mold issues now as leaks were on insulation and wood. Sunnova only “offers” to let me buy my way out of lease for 15k. They sent people to fix leaks twice already and neither time did they actually fix lease.

Get buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

In 2017 I signed a lease with Sunnova. After the installation my electric bills were still high. They sent a company out to look at my system. The company advised me that I had only half the panels I needed for my size house. A second system was then installed. The last 2 months I received high electric bills again. I called Sunnova. They advised me that they originally had a service call to replace a part of my system but had to reschedule. They further advised me that there was nothing they can do about my high electric bills. This company only cares about making money. I wish I never got solar.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2021

I don’t recommended for any!! If you want solar …. not Sunnova, Contract is misleading, they never to honor what been promised, job not professional, no saving as the advertising. It just another way to collecting monies from you! Customer service not professional. Not trained, waiting for manager for a months. Never call back, all billing issue is misleading.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

I sprouted a few new gray hairs trying to buy a house with existing Sunnova panels. Instead of taking over the lease, we decided to do a buyout so that we'd own the panels outright. Sunnova messed up the paperwork not once, but twice, finally getting it right on the third try. Even after listening to promises that the process would be expedited, nothing ended up expedited and they dragged their feet the entire way. The transfer paperwork that we needed to close escrow was delayed, which held up our closing date. Multiple calls to their customer service reps were exercises in frustration; reps were powerless to do anything to help, and asking for an escalation was like hitting a brick wall, as they would always claim that it was impossible to talk to a supervisor. Any request for escalation was met with a promise of a callback within 24-48 hours, but those promises were not kept either.

They are plenty quick to ask for payment, though -- they wouldn't even create an account for me unless I agreed to a credit check (can't do that -- I'm trying to close on a mortgage!) or pay a $1000 deposit. With every rep I talked to, I needed to re-explain that I'm buying out the solar, so none of that is necessary. Even now, after escrow's closed and the solar's been transferred to my name, they're STILL calling me asking for me to include a payment method in my account. Why?? I don't owe you guys a dime. So now I'm just praying that nothing bad happens to the panels or the roof, and that I won't need Sunnova service anytime soon. I feel like I just inherited an albatross. Such a shame, too, because companies like Sunnova give solar energy a bad rap.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

I was told by my agent that we would only be paying $93/month. When in reality, we got scammed. I am now paying more than I was with my regular electricity company. 2x Over. So paying Sunnova and the electricity company as well. What's The point of getting solar then?! This company doesn't know what it's doing!! Don't do business with them at all! I REGRET signing up with them at all!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2021

Their salesman was convincing and their installation team was great but that's the extent of it. Their engineers lied about the amount the panels would produce. Their billing and contract team lied about the government rebate and pricing. Customer service literally replies to every complaint with "you signed the contract". When their panels stop working they tell you to call the installer and you have to jump around trying to find who they subcontracted to install the panels. They are liars and they will do nothing to help you. Avoid this company at all costs.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

If you are thinking about going solar, do not use this company! They have the worst customer service imaginable. My system was down for months, had to pay them and my electric company and was told they didn't care because it was in my contract. I had to call them yesterday and was basically called a liar, and they didn't really care.

Original review: July 30, 2021

The installation was completed on May 12 and all apparently was good, there were days that even was good sunlight the panels didn't produce enough energy dropping the production level to 10%. Starting on June 12th only 3 panels out of 16 were producing energy. Now is July 30th and they are asking me $3,000.00 to repair the panels. Why shouldn't I pay?. According to them, there is a part that got burnt and is not covered on the warranty and I need to pay. So from June 18th until now I'm not only paying the regular utility electric company bill for my power usage but I have to pay them the monthly amount for power that I'm not receiving and I need to pay else $3,000.00...

Where are the savings they offered from the beginning, It was supposed that I wasn't going to pay any more than $100 including the current power company (both together)? Is this nothing but a scam? Now they are saying I can get off the contract, if I do that they will charge me installation fees and other expenses. I need help with this

Original review: July 22, 2021

This company has the absolutely worst customer service and are straight up dishonest with their customers. They lie to you in a calm manner when they say ‘they’ll have a supervisor call you back’ or whenever they do tell you something will be done they will never tell you when or how. And usually it never happens. They withhold documents or ignore emails, they never respond. They appear to put a lot of emphasize on getting their stock prices high to please investors but the reality that as a company they are horribly dishonest and crooks. They nearly delayed closing on our house because they never informed both the old owners and us about the timeline and withheld some of the paperwork. Then they never actually completed the transfer of ownership and kept charging the old owner until we both got involved.

Then we had to get our roof replaced (interesting that they ended up installing the panels on a very old roof…hmm…) and it took 2+ months of DAILY phone calls to get in touch with people to get the process going, and requests to speak to multiple supervisors failed. (It wasn’t until I wrote a public review that things were ‘escalated’ and they finally called me back.). And now, 2 months after the panels were reinstalled we noticed one of them looks damaged…And all we need to have done at this point in time is have a 3rd party come look at it but of course Sunnova needs to approve this…But ‘can’t give me a timeline’ and when I probed for a general one they say ‘2 months’ but of course they tell me that the process to generate a dispatch is ‘complicated.’ They are literally the WORST company to deal with.

Original review: July 20, 2021

I have called the customer service line and have requested a cancellation letter for a closing. I was told it would take 7-10 days. It's now beyond that. My realtor and I have called many times. When I call It is extremely frustrating to be told and retold that there is no way to transfer me to a supervisor and no way to speak to a supervisor; they can only call back within 24-48 hrs. They won't even give a person's name to call back and ask for. This is very unprofessional. I am hoping that writing this others won’t fall into this same trap.

Original review: April 15, 2021

Sunnova is and has been the most incompetent company I have had the displeasure to deal with from Installation through Service. Nor have they generated the minimum amount let alone "contracted" KwH amount. They took over 6 months to get the system installed, needed to go back to the township over 3 times to get their plans matched up to the installed system. Have fallen short every year in production. Apparently the system was not installed properly over 4 years ago as the inverter was never in contact with the main company. Now I have requested to enter a buy out and they have said yes but refuse to send the appropriate paperwork. Unprofessional and incompetent to say the least.

Original review: April 8, 2021

Sunnova has the worst customer service I have ever experienced. My system went down 9 months ago, it is still not correct. It took them over 5 months to get them repaired (because it's a lease, they had to approve it and send the workers) and now their own monitoring system is saying it's not communicating properly and the representative's answer is "don't use that app." My electric company reported they are not getting my credit for solar. Sunnova has flat out not responded to that. My electric bill is more than twice it was last year with a fully working system and they will not acknowledge an issue. They take responsibility for the system being down but will not honor the "Production Guarantee" in a reasonable time (as in 2022, when the system went down in 2020). Do not sign up with this company. Worst decision I ever made.

Original review: March 24, 2021

Our house was approached by a ton of door to door salespeople over the years. We finally gave one of them a chance and couldn't be happier. The panels cost us nothing and we now pay about half of what we previously did ($150 electric bill is now a $80 solar payment and $5 to our electric company). We read about people having issues selling but you would have to be an idiot not to want save money. It's a no brainer point blank.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

I had a friend who had solar panels put in from this company and talked me into doing the same. The company makes you think that you will get a tax credit of a certain amount and that if you give the company the full amount your payment will not go up. My friend had his taxes done and the tax credit was a thousand dollars short. I called the company to ask what happens if you don't get the full amount of the tax credit, will the company adjust the price increase. Guess what they said. No. That they didn't guarantee the amount of tax credit you would get. So in order for your payment not to go up you have to pay out of pocket in order to match the amount the company came up with. The company is also very slow at responding to your emails. If you want solar do your homework better then me and read the very fine print. This company is shady and would not recommend them to anyone.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2021

My mother got talked into signing a contract with these people. They charge you whether the system produces energy or not, and they keep all the government tax incentives. After she passed they still won’t let her out of the contract. They call harassing me at least once a week. Do not do business with this very dishonest company!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

I am writing this post to warn other that if your are considering Solar-do not use any company related to Sunnova. I am leasing my solar and they are responsible for the maintenance. When Momentum contracted with me, I was told the they would be maintaining the solar. Two have my roof shingles have fallen off since then due to being loosened when the solar was installed. I have been trying to get them repaired for months. The most recent communication that I have received tells me that I am responsible for paying $950 for this repair. I don't think so. Therefore, I do not recommend Momentum Solar or any company related to them or Sunnova. I am hoping that by posting this that maybe I will get a positive response from a company that cares about their customer and/or reputation.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2021

This is the worst experience I have EVER encountered!! I bought my home in October, NO ONE would send me a copy of the contract and with everything COVID it was e signed. I have called this company at least 10 times and EVERY time they have lied to me, they change the price you pay, they show you $62 a month and then bill you $77 a month and then lie 100 times when you call. There is NO customer service. And all they say is, "Oh well you're stuck for 25 years and there is NO option," RUN AND RUN FAST, NEVER TURN AROUND, THIS IS A SCAM, my neighbor's electric bill is cheaper than this solar bill. RUN!!!!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2020

We are having a very difficult experience with transfer of ownership. Closing has been delayed over a month. Customer service representatives have been given us incomplete and/or inaccurate information. We have requested to speak with a supervisor. We were told supervisor would call us back. No call back even though we have been requesting everyday for a week.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2020

I have been trying to get Sunnova to send release paperwork for several weeks. My house is sold and waiting for documents from Sunnova in order to close. I have done everything that Sunnova asked of me. Yet, they are still holding up the sale of my home. I have called several times daily for the last month. I have received assurances that I would receive the release. When it doesn't come I call back and the customer service people start the process all over. I have spoken multiple times to supervisors. I have signed the final documents they sent. Yet, I still have not received release documents. This company has been an absolute nightmare to work with!

Find a Solar Energy partner near you.

Sunnova Company Information