Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card
3.57/5

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

640 Eppicard Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

Recently, I am a victim of fraud due to my EppiCard for my child support payments. I called customer service many times and have received mixed answers. There are two transactions by the same merchant that were not my purchases. One for $51 and two weeks later, another transaction for $102 after my child support payment was put on the card. The first time I called and spoke with a representative, I was told the money that was fraudulently stolen would be put on a new EppiCard once I receive it, but since the transaction was still pending, I would need to call back once it “settled”. (Note: they did not cancel the card at this time.)

A couple of days later the transaction “settled” and I called EPPICARD customer service and this time they canceled my card and sent me a new replacement card. Once I activated my card, I noticed my balance was still $0.00, so I called customer service back to ask why the money that was stolen wasn’t returned to the card. This time they tell me I will have to fill out a fraud claim that they will be sending through the mail to fill out and return.

It has been 3 days, and I still have not received the paperwork and I can’t call customer service again because I will be charged $.20 again, which will put me at a negative balance. Why was there no mention of this paperwork or cancellation of my stolen card number the first time I called? And why is my balance still zero, when they said they could see the purchases/ transactions happened in another country when I spoke to them on the phone? I have not left the country (I do not own a passport) to make any purchases.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

I have a Pennsylvania Eppicard. I was on a cruise, never used my child support card and money was taken from a ATM that was out of state. I called customer service. Explained I could not have possibly made the withdraw because I was in the Atlantic Ocean on a boat. I was hung up on. Every attempt to call back and get a person on the phone I was repeatedly hung up on. This is a inside job. Someone that works there is stealing. It happens on the same date to people in different states with the Eppicard. It happened to me Sept 11. This is crazy that no one has looked in to this yet. They are literally stealing from children!!!

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2019

I'm only giving one star because it is required... On 9/14/2019 I checked the balance of my Indiana state debit card. This is the card issued by the state for child support payments. Immediately I noticed several transactions from a place named Baku. I still had my card and had not traveled anywhere. There were 10 transactions for similar amounts totaling $582.00 I called the customer service number on the back of my card. After finally reaching an actual person I was informed that agency handling the call receives "hundreds of these call every day." She then said an investigation would take 90 days. I was then transferred 2 more times to different people. After being on hold for almost an hour I disconnected the call and called back.

When connected with a person I once again explained my situation and was transferred again. After being on hold another hour and a half I was connected with a person and put on hold for another hour. Once I was finally connected the gentleman that answered hung up the call. I called the customer the customer service member at 1750 Saturday evening. At 2056 my second call was ended by the agency having the call. After spending over three hours on the phone with the agency responsible for handling fraud cases my issue has yet to be resolved. They have yet to cancel my card or respond to any of my issues. This is the second occurence I have had with this card. In March of 2018 I had $237 taken off my card in Columbus Ohio, a city I have never been to.

I was taken through numerous hoops and never received a refund of my money. I really do not understand why there is such a high number of incidences surrounded with this card and nothing is being changed to increase security. Hundreds of incidences a day is unacceptable. There is a problem here that needs to be addressed. The second issue I have is the customer service aspect. Why is it so difficult to report fraudulent charges? I have had a total of $819.35 taken from me. Today none of the agents I talked to seemed concerned with the fact I just had almost $600 taken stolen from me.

I understand it is something they deal with daily, but if that is the case there should be a direct method of dealing with the issue. It seems as if the bank or agency handling the citizens money does not want to see their funds returned. I am going to be investigating and try to figure out how to file charges and where to start to get my money back. Someone hacked my card and stole all but $13 in less than a day, there is no reason it should take 90 days to "investigate." Everything about this is just wrong and unacceptable! I am going to make sure the company responsible is exposed. I have found numerous complaints online and there have been very few resolved in a positive manner. We the people are being taken advantage of and it must stop!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

I called EPPICARD for a fraudulent charge on my card which is very strange because I never lost my card. A $4443.03 was stolen. A claim form was sent to me which I completed and returned listing all of the account information and fraudulent charges. I received after 8 weeks a denial later, saying we cannot confirm fraud occurred. Call again EPPICARD (they always very busy, need lots of patience to speak to an operator).

After a long battle on the phone, the operator agree to reopen my case. Now it is 6 months and no call, no mailing no nothing.... Meanwhile call back many times. According to one operator I'm not existent on their files. According to another operator needs to call Bank of America, Bank of America responded, "Call your EPPICARD." Did a police report. And now what, what I'm supposed to do?

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

I had never had problems with my card before. I happened to look at my card recently and noticed that it was about to expire, and this is when I realized that I actually hadn't received a replacement card yet. So I called them to get a replacement card and in the recording it tells me to have a new card sent to me was going to cost $15 which they would take out of the balance on the card. Knowing I needed a new card and no other idea of how else to get it, I go ahead and pay the $15 to get my new card. Mind you, I haven't used my card in over a year because my child support had just started coming to me again, I got to check my balance and find that there was a transaction that was made just about an hour prior to mine for $0.50 so start looking and reading online come to find out every time I make a balance inquiry I get charged $0.50.

So if my husband has my card to buy milk after he gets off work and he needs to make sure he's got enough it'll charge him $0.50 to check it, and it doesn't matter whether it's done by phone or an ATM he gets charged. I've had other various charges come off the card and not get any kind of information on what the charges for and different increments of $0.25, $0.50, $0.75, a dollar here or there, sometimes maybe a couple dollars. There will be absolutely no description on where that money went. In the span of six months there was over $150 taken from my card when I went online and registered how to view my balance online. I took a calculator that had a roll of paper on it and actually went through each month and calculated the amounts that were taken off the card that had nothing to do with transactions that my husband or myself made.

So if this happens the same every 6 months then that means over the course of the 8 years I had the at $150 every 6 months, then $2400 has been taken from my son and I for various hidden fees and charges. That's worse than having an ex who doesn't want to pay child support. With the ex, at least you know the state will finally catch up with him and get that money one way or the other, but with this card you can pretty much guarantee that money is gone and you'll never see it again. Not worth it, will be switching to direct deposit on the quick! DO NOT USE THIS CARD, OPT FOR DIRECT DEPOSIT INSTEAD!!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Eppicard?

Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

My card number was stolen (not my actual card, I have that) back in June 2019. I have been dealing with the fraud department ever since then! I started with calling and letting them know my number had been hacked. They sent me a new card, but not the "Questionnaire of fraud" paperwork that I had to fill out. I called again and received a copy of it. Filled the form out to the best of my ability (once card was deactivated I can no longer see any of my transaction history). In the middle of August they sent me a letter that stated "we cannot confirm that fraud occurred" and gave me a number to request a copy of the documents they relied on to come to their conclusion. So I did just that, I called and asked for them. A week later and I get a computer printout that I can't understand.

It just lists dates/times, "release for settlement" or "pre-authorization." NOTHING about the name of the company used..then the only numbers listed ARE THE SAME for each transaction. I figured out the one number is the old credit card number, but then the other 11 digit number doesn't make sense. It's listed for each transaction, so there is no way for me to contact a merchant and ask them to send me paperwork on a certain transaction.

As of this moment I have talked to the fraud department at 855-393-5178 4 times today. First with Ann, then to another lady who took my info (had to verify AGAIN) and I spoke to Larry their Supervisor who told me he would send me to the dispute department. I spoke to Rose and all she could tell me was my case was closed. I am 1hr 45 minutes into waiting for another supervisor to help me solve this. Thankfully Ohio changed card providers, I have a feeling this happens a lot. I have reached out to them about it already as well.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2019

If I get a call saying there was a deposit to my account/card if I call to see how much the deposit was they charge .35. I called customer service to see why and “they say” I get 5 free calls per month but I’m going to have to start paying closer attention because God forbid I take my child Back to School shopping and need to check my balance a few times they will charge me. The call is automated, not like I’m talking to a live person. EPPICard.com here I come.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

I have a fraud claim that no one will help me with have called several times on hold for hours at a time only to transferred over and over and no one will help. They lose faxes and documents I have asked and pleaded and no one will help with anything. All they say I we are very sorry and wait for the investigation to conclude.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

On Tuesday of last week, I saw on that I had received a payment on my account. However, since I did not have a card, I contacted the Eppicard center. They informed me that the funds were placed on a card that I was issued in 2016 and the card was expired. They told me that I would be issued a card but it would arrive in 7-10 business days. I told them that I needed it sooner if possible because I couldn't pay my utilities. They told me it could be expedited for a $16.00 fee. Then they said my apartment number was not on my account. So I called the unemployment service and got my apartment number placed on my account. I then called back to card center but they told me it would take 24- 48 hours before my apartment number would show up. They told me I could not put in for it to be expedited until that number was on my account and to try back the following day and if the number was on acct.

I could then have it expedited. I called back the next day and was told the card had already been mailed out and it would arrive in 7-10 days. I told her they were suppose to expedite it. She told me not to worry and she would cancel that card and expedite me a new one. Then after she cancel the card she found another one couldn't be ordered until 7 days. I was furious. I called the local unemployment service and talked with a supervisor name Kathy. She told me she would contact a liaison and get back with me. She called me later on and told me the card company said if I called back the following day they would be able to expedite me a card.

The next day (Thursday), I called and talked to a representative and he told me he was ordering the card . He assured me he had ordered it at the end of the call. He told me it would arrive in 2 days and he waived the fee to expedite. I asked if I would receive it on Saturday because that would be two days and Saturday was a weekend. He said I should. I didn't receive it on Saturday and so I called this morning (Monday) to see if it could be tracked. I was told that the representative I talked to Thursday lied to me and he did not order the card.

I was told that they could not order a card for me until the 29th which is Friday and I won't receive it until next week. In the meantime, I had gotten my utility provider to hold off until today before disconnecting me. Now I'm waiting for them to come disconnect because I told them today based on what the card company told me. Also, I went online to place a review on them and found they this is a common practice for them. There are numerous people that have had the same experience as I have with this company.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2019

Initial card had expired; sent another, and I activated new card with all information required. Through automatic services found out one transaction was in "question" and immediately contacted customer services. I waited at least 10-20 minutes on the phone. The woman rep I spoke to from customer service also verified the last 2 transactions made on last day the previous card was valid. She was very helpful and respectful. She transferred me over to the transaction dispute resolution department or fraud department. The amount in question was a $75 transaction. I remember purchasing gas and having to "ask" for a receipt. I had in fact only purchased $15.00 in gas. (My gas tank does not hold $75). After being transferred from one department to another department Resolution I to Resolution II it was a total of almost 3 hrs trying to get this situation resolved.

Each time I spoke to a different Rep I had to give my SS, email address, home address, ZIP code, state, phone number, and password on the card. The same information I gave to the automated services to "Activate" the new card I had received through the mail. I spoke to the same "REP" as before when the initial card had expired. He was extremely rude at that time and wanted to "Charge" a fee and I told him I shouldn't have to be charged a fee since it was my first time requesting a new card. He then told me that a "new card" had been sent in June of 2019. I explained to him I "Never" received one. If I had I would have not only activated it but have "used" it. I asked him if the "New" card sent that I hadn't received in the mail had been used? He was slightly irritated because I had asked that question and I told him that is "Why" I did not feel I should be "charged" for a fee.

I didn't pursue ordering a new card for a week or so and then tried again with a different "Rep" who helped me respectfully and a new card was ordered and the "Rep" said there were "NO" fees involved as I had expected. So, when the new card arrived I "activated" it on August 16, 2019, and after doing so with all the correct information put into the automated system I received the balance and also asked for the last 10 transactions as is my right to do so. So, on to the dispute about the transaction. The "Rep" that I had previously talked to the same one back about 3 weeks previously, the same "attitude" and Disrespect "Prevailed" and ultimately the conversation escalated when I requested to speak to a supervisor. He then told me because of the fact that I didn't give him the "Transactions" of July 31, 2019, in the proper order, (there were only 2), then he "Blocked" my card.

And now there is a block on the card and I cannot use the card. He explained that "IT didn't appear, because I did not know the order of the transactions, "I wasn't who I said I was." I said, "Okay, if I wasn't who I am, How could I have activated the "New" card to start with if I wasn't who I am and the "Card Holder?"" I realize that security has to be taken. His Action wasn't because of trying to keep "Security" but a full fledged action on his part to be spiteful. THAT I have a Problem with. When I have to give my Social Security Information, address, email address, home phone number, state and ZIP code at least 8 different times on the phone with the Representatives back and forth through supposedly one department after another I feel it is breaching "MY SECURITY."

Now, the card is BLOCKED and in order to get it off the BLOCK, I have to send in a Photo ID, Driver's Licence, and Birth Certificate, etc. and to me that is not What I need to "PUT OUT ALL MY CRUCIAL INFORMATION AND IS A PRIVACY BREACH AND SECURITY ON MY END." Especially since this Representative did not follow protocol by blocking the card for security reasons but for his own "INTENT" to be spiteful because I asked to speak to an authorized Supervisor to handle the situation. If I have to go to the Top of the Food Chain so to speak I will do so.

NO ONE should have to go through this kind of DRAMA because someone doesn't like their job and wants to take it out on a customer... Customer Service should just be that. Customer Service and he is supposed to represent me and respect me and get my issues resolved and not be spiteful and disrespectful because he either doesn't like his job, or women, or is underpaid, or whatever the reasons he feels it necessary to take it out on someone else.

Eppicard expert review by Beverly Harzog

Operating in many American states, Eppicard states that it’s a “prepaid debit MasterCard” that can be used to receive child support or payroll deposits. The payments you are supposed to receive are electronically loaded to your Eppicard.

• Convenient: Eppicard makes it easy to receive payments like child support and paychecks without having a bank account.

• Fees: Read the terms and fees carefully. There are ATM transaction fees and withdrawal fees. There are also fees to call customer service. The fees alone are low, but, over time, they can add up. These fees cut into the payment you receive so try to avoid them. One way is to get cash back when you’re making a purchase so you can avoid a withdrawal fee if you try to get cash later.

• Program Material link: The section showing basic terms and fees is a small box where you scroll through it. It’s only possible to read a few lines at a time, which can make it difficult to get a clear picture of the costs. Click on the “Program Material” link in the middle of the screen to get access to a full-screen explanation of fees and terms by state.

• Easy to open: This is a debit card, not a credit card, so your credit score doesn’t matter for approval.

• Best for: Consumers with bad credit and consumers who need to build credit.

Profile picture of Beverly Harzog
Beverly Harzog Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Eppicard Company Information