1.20/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1804 CVS Pharmacy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I have really never cared for CVS Pharmacy because they have no compassion towards patients. I called in a prescription and for almost two days it had not been filled. I called them and they said they were out and their supplier was out, and did not know when the medication would come in. How is it that they did not bother calling me to explain. Then the tech said all of the local CVS do not have this medication, that I would have to call around to different pharmacies to see if it was available. I have to call? I have never in my life heard of this. What is going on CVS? I so done with you, I can tell you this! I will never return to a CVS, and have all of my meds transferred to a different pharmacy. Unbelievable.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

This is the worst pharmacy ever!!! I will never fill my prescriptions here again. I had to get my prescription and my Doctor said to fill it that day, then they don't. Then one-time last month I picked up the prescription on the 18th and they said I didn't pick it up until the 21st of August because I used my BofA debit card so it doesn't go through until the 21st of August but I picked up on the 18th. Now I could go through a seizure if I don't get it picked up. I would give this "pharmacy" negative stars if I could. I am going to another pharmacy and will never ever go to CVS after this last time because I have to. It is the worst. I don't think the "pharmacists" know what they are doing.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I take on a regular basis a prescription for hypothyroidism. ** or another NATURAL based thyroid medication. I've let the pharmacy know in advance 9/06/2018 and it sends back a text reply that they're placing a special order for it. I give it a couple of days... NOTHING. 9/13/2018 I receive another text message saying the SAME THING. FOLKS, I'M DOWN TO 1 (ONE) PILL. I called the pharmacy this morning, What the ** did I expect??? "We placed the order, call back this afternoon." UNACCEPTABLE. I can see from the other reviews on here that I'm in "good" company??? Didn't CVS take over Aetna??? MEH...

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

CVS is trying to play doctor. Refused to fill my medication because a cheaper alternative was available. This is not the drug my doctor prescribed, nor is my insurance company forcing this change. CVS wants me to jump through hoops for them to fill it. Not happening. Transferred this medication to Walgreens and had it filled with no issues. Will be transferring all of my prescriptions over to Walgreens now.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

The CVS in Broadway Oakland California sucks... The employee are all racists. They discriminate between people. They are rude... I was surprised when I ask a lady to show me where the medicine are she didn’t help me at all. She was doing nothing. Sitting at the counter and playing with her phone. When I got angry and she realized I was angry finally she came and show the medicine with her legs. She even did not bother to point out with her finger. She pointed out with her leg... Men she might thought I am asian and cannot do anything. She is a piece of **.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CVS?

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I gave birth to my son who is a micro preemie. His lungs, brain aren't working together yet and he's on ** to help his neuro system remember to breathe and to help him out. It's fairly common for preemies to have this prescription. Came time to refill this important medication and CVS has decided that all of his specialists are wrong and won't fill it. My little guy is connected to an apnea monitor, pulse oximetry monitor and is on O2. CVS hasn't reviewed any of his medical equipment logs to know whether or not he needs it. His specialists review all that and as of right now his little body still needs the **. This business is playing with people's health and it's wrong! They are going to end up killing someone. Eventually pulling this garbage.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

The first & worst experience I ever had at 61-15 Metropolitan Ave. (Store: 00549) in the Pharmacy Dept. by the Pharmacist by the name of ** at the Cashier. Myself and the previous customer in front of me were turn away and interrupted/cut off by ** while we were asking a simple question in regarding a medication and text from CVS that ** could have easily checked and given us an answer. We were told to go to another Pharmacist and get an answer from them. I’ve had my prescriptions, my son’s prescription and my mom’s prescription sent and picked up for the past 12 years and never gotten treated or answered like it was today Sunday, September 9, 2018 @ 3:39PM by **. Her customer service was extremely poor and unprofessional. This woman should get some customer service courses or given a excellent training from one of the great employees at this store.

My question to her was “Why I received a few text from CVS asking if I want some of my son’s prescription to be filled and now it’s not ready to be picked up? How is it that my son has one prescription ready and not the other ones I typed YES TO BE FILLED?” These type question are usually answered by the Pharmacist at the cashier. I would understand if there was a long line more than 5 customers on line but there was only 4 customers including myself and the customer in front me. Pharmacist by the name of ** very rude, unprofessional and need a lot of customer service training. I feel like she should be kept at the back dealing with the medication instead of being at the Cashier, information dept or at the Fill out Prescription department.

I’m always giving a extremely excellent review / survey about this store because everyone at this location (Store#: 00549) are very friendly, helpful, respectful, patient, very organized, very clean and very informative. Another issue I would like to point out. Pharmacist: ** should not be using someone else name at the Register because she was using the name ** as her user/login. I know ** name because I read her tag but a lot of customers would think they were helped by **, CSHR#: ** because that’s what the receipt says.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

I went to CVS to shop and presented my card to the CVS coupon machine and was given a 40% off coupon. When I tried to use it the register would not accept it. The cashier was worthless. I left the store and called Corporate only to be put on hold for 26 minutes. The first person I spoke to was worthless. I asked for a supervisor. I spoke with a woman named Bryn who was helpful. She told me. A $12 CVS Extra credit would be applied to my card. I went to the CVS the next day and there was no $12 rewards assigned to me.

I called CVS a second time and spoke to an unpleasant customer service person who assured me that he would take care of crediting me $14 on my card. When I went to the store two days later I was told I had no CVS card or credit!!! They offered me a new card and I told them to keep their card and I would never be shopping with them again. Bottom line CVS has pitiful customer service and they have lost me as a customer forever.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I decided to transfer my prescriptions from Wal-Mart to CVS because the location was convenient. Seven months into my experiment, I never dreamed I'd be so stressed out over the monthly filling prescriptions until I moved to CVS. The staff will do anything, literally ANYTHING, to get out of filling your prescription correctly and on-time. They will ask you personal questions in front of strangers and demand answers or else. They will treat you like a criminal if you need something controlled and they will never respect the doctor's orders if they don't want to. They will lie, conceal info, double-file scripts and double-bill your insurance and treat you like you owe them a favor because they rung you up! You can protest, you can report, you can complain. They are clearly used to hearing all of this judging by their reactions and clearly just don't care.

They love to make you wait in one line only to be sent to another and then laugh about it behind customer's back (saw it happen). To say I won't shop at another CVS is obvious. To say they don't care is also obvious. I don't expect them to change, so I changed to a better pharmacy. I have to say though, it is gut-wrenching to watch CVS staff berate and belittle seniors who need some assistance. Some of the stuff I've witnessed is downright shameful. Encinitas seniors citizens... Be very wary of CVS Pharmacy 455 Encinitas Blvd. Encinitas CA 92024. They hate you. They hate your existence. They just want your money.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

Class C [?} Prescriptions were sent to CVS Spencer location last Thursday to be refilled. Saturday went to store to pick up prescriptions and ask about the two in question. Clerk looks them up on computer and says, "No we don't have them." Tell the clerk the prescriptions were sent last Thursday; they look some more. "Oh, yes we received the prescriptions, but we don't have them in stock." Ask to talk to the manager, pharmacist comes over. Both of pharmacists are new, the prescriptions were sent to their manager, who has to order them due to being class C narcotics, but can't say whether they will be filled in a few days, or a week. Pharmacist says to call after hour doctor, tell them and THEY will find a pharmacy that has the medication - Right. Tuesday (day after Labor Day) call CVS and ask whether the scripts were filled.

Pharmacists says both of the new pharmacists are not allowed to order the medication without training and it might be a week or two before they can order the medication. So CVS opts rather than taking care of their business and filling prescriptions to just leave the patient in limbo to figure it out, absolutely inexcuseable and willing be looking for another pharmacy. As a follow up, the pharmacist checked their other stores and NONE of them had the needed medicine; would have to go to several locations to pick them up. What a poor way to run a business! Sincerely hope you go bankrupt!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

Pharmacy won't refill early, Pharmacy won't refill late. A Terminal Patient that gets Abused every time we deal with CVS. A Simple Cough Medication for sleep. They treat it Like ** or **. When a Patient is Terminal they should make amends not excuses.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

CVS made a decision to use 20d & 40d bottles. I've Contacted them 5 times to request they reconsider & also include the usual 13d size.The last few times I received refills the bottles were huge and unmanageable to store, that is when I started calling and doing surveys. I work with the elderly who have many prescriptions. Many of us know of, or have family who can have as many as 30 prescriptions. Just imagine the inconvenience that CVS... that stands for Convenience, Value, and Service is heaping upon us by making this decision.

The regular 13d bottle is 2 3/4" H, 1 1/4" diameter. The 20d bottle is also 2 3/4" H but now 1 1/2" diameter. The 40 d bottle is 3 3/4" H with a 2" diameter. Folks with many cannot store such large bottles. Cost to manufacture- Will this also affect our cost? Cost to dispose of- Our landfills are going to be full of needless, unnecessary waste causing major inconvenience and no value.

I received a 20d bottle and my pills were teeny-tiny, only covering the bottom of the bottle. I suggest others seeing this same issue, purchase their prescriptions at other places that use a bottle to accommodate the size of the pills. I know that's what I'm going to do. Speaking with the district manager of my CVS where I purchase my meds it was clear, even though she wasn't part of the CEO's, CFO's, and whoever made the decision, she thought our conversation was a complete waste of her time. Let's all think of the ailing, the elderly, the cancer patient, who all have many bottles. Let us all become involved if not for us, but for other who are now in this terrible position.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I hate that AETNA chose CVS for the preferred pharmacy for 2018! At least every other month when I bring my prescription into my local CVS store, they don't have my medication and tell me it will be a week or more before they will have it! Then I'm forced to drive to every other CVS pharmacy to find my medication because it is a narcotic for chronic pain! I never had this problem with Walgreens pharmacy! This is so frustrating! And because it is a narcotic, another pharmacy will not fill it! I hate CVS and when it's time to pick another insurance company this year, if CVS is the preferred pharmacy, I will choose another insurance company, which is sad because I really like AETNA! I have been with this CVS since January, almost 9 months now and they don't order my medication and know I have been getting my prescriptions filled there! I really hate CVS and have filed a grievance with AETNA so they hopefully won't use CVS anymore!

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

I had a double lung transplant 8 months ago! When I came home I sent all scripts to CVS. I go there 2 times a week to pick up scripts and at least once a week there is an issue. Either rude staff, abusive pharmacist, incompetent staff or pharmacist! Today was the last straw! A tech told me my insurance refused to pay for a script (they have paid for the last 8 mos.). The pharmacist last week told me I needed a script from Dr. to have a med given dry instead of being mixed. Dr. sent the script and pharmacist refuse the order. Of course I am transferring away from CVS. I worry about my mental health dealing with such incompetence.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

5 years ago, I could go to any CVS Pharmacy in the country and receive professional and quality service. The employees may not always be in a fantastic mood? But I totally trusted them and my prescriptions were filled properly. I would take my white bag with the receipt for my prescriptions stapled to it with no reservations of my prescriptions having any errors. I would leave the store with no regrets of having had my pharmaceuticals filled at that CVS Pharmacy.

In these last two years, especially, the stores have changed for the worse. Regrettably, I have started using different pharmacies in the last month. Things have gone downhill for the CVS company. This can be verified on the web if you read any articles not written by the CVS Corporation. Look into the value of the CVS Corporation and the many other companies they have accumulated. Their value should have gone down a little bit perhaps but definitely not as much as it has. (I would like to add, if you were having issues at Kroger pharmacies? Guess who has taken over them as well.)

I have worked with a local CVS pharmacy for over 10 years filling my prescriptions and they know me well. I would receive personal phone calls if there are any questions concerning my prescriptions. If the pharmacy was unable to fill a prescription in its entirety? A pharmacy would be able to provide a few tablets until my prescription could be filled completely so I would have medicine as I waited. The list of nice things my local CVS Pharmacy and other locations would do to help me is very long. These are my highlights. In these last few years? The entire pharmaceutical staff has become disrespectful and rude to all customers.

I am in a small town so everyone knows everyone. My local pharmacy would know everyone's name when we would walk in the door and always ask how certain members of our family were. I was surprised to notice, along with this friendly environment slowly ebbing away, an extremely fast change in staff, particularly in these last few months. I wanted to know what was going on.

I should backtrack here. Instead of saying every staff member is rude and unprofessional? There are staff members who are still attempting to be very helpful, as helpful as possible, and trying to help. It's just the CVS company has their employees'/managers' hands tied and they are now unable to help very much if at all. The frustration I can see in my CVS staff friends' faces is heartbreaking.

So I went online and simply searched "CVS problems." Wow!! That's when I realized I was having the same staff problems many of you have stated. The staff at the CVS locations have legitimate complaints. I believe the staff at the CVS locations are overworked and underappreciated by CVS. Not uncommon for staff at any company, but CVS is becoming a particularly difficult company to work for. In years past, I would rarely see a sign hastily written and posted on my CVS door asking for new staff. Today? Every time I drive by? There is a "Help Wanted" sign up.

You can search online and find many former CVS employees and current employees stating their issues with this company. There are a lot of things CVS is doing to their employees and asking them to do that is downright despicable. CVS is definitely telling their staff that their customers are to be handled differently if they complain. The staff as had to choose, job? Or us, their customers? As for the actual CVS pharmacies? CVS is cutting back in a lot of areas in their pharmacies (primarily pharmaceutical availability) and leaving their employees to handle facing us, their consumers. I think it is terrible what CVS is doing to their employees! Putting them in the position of trying to explain what is happening.

I did a lot of research. I mean months and months of research about CVS. I interviewed employees and former employees. I read countless posts from consumers... posts from employees of CVS... many articles that CVS publicized about itself... information proving how much CVS's value has dropped, especially in this last year, 2018. I finally went to the CVS website and contacted their corporate office. Loaded with my information and references, I started speaking with an uninformed consumer affairs representative. She quickly realized she was in over her head with me as I knew more about the CVS Corporation than she did. She transferred me to a "regional director" of CVS. Probably the director for my area.

The conversation with her went well until I challenged her on many points. I did not tell the director I already knew the answers to several questions I was asking. She was misdirecting me as much as possible away from my questions. She repeated some of her same answers over and over. Suspiciously, these repetitious answers for the same I had been hearing, almost word-for-word, as the answers I had been given at the CVS stores. I kept bringing her back to my questions and finally told her what the answers were. At this point? She became rude and started yelling at me. She said everything the CVS pharmacies do is exactly as policied by the FDS and CDC. This was her only defense of the CBS Corporation acting as it has been these last few years toward their consumers. Of course they're following FDS and CDC guidelines. Otherwise? Our government would have closed their doors.

That was my first call to the CVS Corporation. Since contacting the CVS Corporation by that phone number at their website, I have called the corporation two more times. Both times, again, the Consumer Affairs person immediately directed me to another director. The reps in the conversations both of these times were not messing around. I think my name was already on some list as a troublesome person perhaps? That is fine. (FYI: Are you aware that CVS will add to your medical file at their pharmacies whether or not you are a "troublesome person?" By "troublesome person"... I mean a person who simply asks questions, wants staff to check things like are their prescriptions being filled with the number of tablets requested by their physicians, ask enough questions of the pharmaceutical assistance that the pharmacist needs to come out to answer questions? This is something I have known for 20 years.

Oh, and a tip I have learned from CVS pharmacy staff, always have a >staff member< open your bottle and check the number/type of tablets inside to make sure you are getting the quantity/product prescribed >>>prior to you ever touching the bottle!<<< Once you touch it? CVS cannot correct anything if there is something wrong with the prescription. Even if you are given an incorrect medicine. Also, they are no longer allowed to give you a few tablets to hold you over until an order comes in, in most locations. This is slowly being weaned away from all locations. So please, if you want to be certain your prescription is correct? Ask the staff member/pharmacy cashier to open your bottle in front of you and confirm everything is correct about your prescription. Even if others are waiting behind you in line I would do this!)

Back to my calls to the CVS Corp "Director" reps: I continued repeating my questions. As before, they went unanswered and I was usually directed away from my questions. Again, those repetitious answers I'd already heard countless times from their store locations and other corporation representatives! I am starting to believe they have some sort of a script to rally questions from consumers like me. Consumers who are truly looking for answers to CVS problems.

I ended my conversations all three times by telling these directors the answers to the questions I have been asking. These people were dumbfounded and did not expect one of their consumers to know what has been going on at the CVS Corporation. Everything is online. It is easy to find. You, too, can easily find this information. If nothing else, just bring up the thousands of posts you have seen from CVS consumers complaining over and over about the same problems at CVS over the past three years. The representatives really do not want to hear this. Which is great! But they need to know we know! We need to tell them!

I urge everyone, instead of posting your complaints about CVS online and speaking out at your local CVS franchises/stores, please go to the website for CVS. You can contact CVS Corp. by letter, email, or by telephone. Be prepared! You do not want to speak to the initial person who answers the phone. You want this person to transfer you to another person. And perhaps another person after that! These are the people who are able to report your complaints down the correct pathway to be heard by the necessary people at the CVS Corporation. Having worked in the consumer industry all my life? I can tell you from personal experience complaining to a cashier, pharmacist or even a store manager is of no use. You must get your voice heard in the corporate office!

CVS.com. The website is easy to remember. I posted it above this passage. The more consumers who contact the CVS corporate office directly the better I believe we will find our stores improving their service to us. I strongly urge phone calls over emails and letters. Emails and letters generate those already prepared consumer responses which usually do not even address what you have just complained about. Phone calls are more personal and are always recorded. You are also in more control over the direction the conversation goes. I, personally include true compliments about my local stores, so the CVS Corporation knows I do not have a personal vendetta against their store brand. And I don't. I have always liked their stores in the past I would love to see them return to the way they used to be. That is why I have posted this very long message.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

I needed to pick up one prescription, purchase ** and for the third time cancel an automatic refill on a prescription that I did not want. The cashier was snippy and wanted me to re-order my customer requests. During the authorization for ** which is a controlled substance, the computer crashed and the cashier had to go to a second register. I was then denied the ** because the system thought I had already just purchased it.

Instead of correcting the computer error, the cashier suggested my grandson use his ID to purchase a controlled substance. I was the one who is purchasing **, not him and technically it’s against the law to do such a thing. The automatic refill on a prescription that I did not want I had requested twice before to stop. The cashier told me that if I did not want the prescription I should’ve informed CVS before. I had done that two times already. If CVS is going to have an automatic refill system that will harass its customers, it should make very sure that it is operating correctly and only refilling prescriptions customers request.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

In general for the past two years I've had nothing but trouble from this pharmacy. Whether it's not having enough medication in stock to fill regular, ongoing prescriptions to filling them past date. Every month I call and ask, A. "When can it be filled?" B. "Do you have enough in stock?" C. "So if I come in on such and such day at a predetermined time I should encounter no problems correct?" Every time the answer is affirmative to all three and every month the day arrives and there's a problem. In turn I've stayed calm, spoke with management, and raged like a maniac all to no avail. Do yourself a favor and stay far away from this absolute joke of a pharmacy.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

The pharmacy techs are very hateful and snappy. I've had my feelings hurt and I left crying twice last month. I've been getting someone else to pick up my meds. I couldn't even get the makeup and lotions, soaps, air fresher, Canned nuts. I could keep going but, now I'm just still a little upset no one speaks to me that way ever. I don't know if I can shop the retail and I NEED TO SO BADLY!!! Please help me and show me you care about me as a 23 yrs I've been going to MY CVS. Well maybe 20 yrs. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I picked up my prescription and noticed when I got home it was only 2/3 what the doctor wrote. I called. After a while on hold, they said they hadn’t had enough. When I asked when the rest would be available, they wouldn’t answer. There was no note on the prescription that it was a partial fill. I’ll now have to make another trip and hope that insurance won’t give a problem about it.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

Bought generic ** tablets. 100 quantity. Needed them urgently for allergies at night. Used may be 15 of them. It's really weak and bad. Doesn't work as it is supposed to. Bottle says it's from rising but manufactured by Unique pharmaceutical labs. Don't buy this. It's just a waste of money. CVS should have better quality check. What a shame. All I am is out of money... $32+ and tax. Very disappointed.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

We went to my son's make a wish on Cape Cod a mo. ago. He needed a refill on a seizure med that is a controlled substance. I had to get it filled while on Cape Cod. I immediately went and changed pharmacy back to CVS locally after it was switched to Cape for this one script. It went thru, back to Holden, MA. I went to refill it this past weekend. I had to change pharmacy online again, even though I'd already changed it. I put thru refill in Holden online. It went thru. I checked in morning before going to pick up. I noticed it had somehow not gone thru so I resubmitted after changing location of pharmacy for a 3rd time!! I called pharmacy and they told me it had been filled on Cape Cod and there was nothing they could do.

I had to call the doctor and get a new script because it was controlled. It was Saturday. After paging doc, speaking with her twice, confirming it would be submitted in Holden, I called to check. They did not have the script. She called and didn't fax. Pharmacist (only one at this branch that is decent-Jamie), had to page doc. Finally, pharmacist called to tell me she could put it thru but didn't have enough pills for a full refill. Website needs flags for certain scripts, flags for certain diagnoses, flags for families with more than one special needs kids. THEY ARE NOT DOING WELL.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

At one point in time I went to CVS, the customer service was horrible. Transferred to Meijer, Customer service was wonderful, never had an issue. Recently my employer went into an agreement with CVS, So to keep co pays down "I MUST" use them, Have had NOTHING but TROUBLE. First month, didn't have medication in stock. Spoke with the pharmacist and explained that I take this routinely, they agreed to keep in stock, Month 2 went well. Month 3 needed prior authorization, finally got that taken care of. Next month out of stock, call different CVS 15 minutes from my house, not enough to fill.

Called another CVS 45 minutes from my house. Nope can’t help you. My CVS can’t even order my medication for 10 days then another 7 to get it there. What a joke, they don't care about their patients. Can’t keep their word or commitment, No offer to transfer meds, or recoup my gas, nothing. All I get is very Uncaring, unfriendly, and totally unsuccessful customer service. I hate going there... Will corporate call me back to take the complaint... NOPE sure won't.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

6 months ago I obtained prescriptions from a CVS Pharmacy. I was so dissatisfied with the service that I switched to another pharmacy (Kroger) which is fantastic. Recently I was notified by the CVS Pharmacy that I had 2 prescriptions ready to be picked up. I no longer take those meds, and never requested that they be refilled. Additionally, I did not and never would request anything like auto refill. Is that illegal, or just gross negligence? No wonder CVS has such a poor consumer rating.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

When CVS asked that I come back after an hour, when I would drop off a prescription at their drive-thru, I did not complain. If I went inside the store? The same day? The wait was usually 8 minutes at the most. Then, CVS started telling me they needed at least 48 hours notice prior to prescriptions. These are prescriptions I would call in for refills. CVS would have my refill information already because they had already filled the prescription the previous month. I did not complain again. I did notice, if I walked in, and handed them my prescription bottle for a refill? Again, my prescription was filled within 8 minutes. Weird, huh?

Next, having allergies to a multitude of chemicals especially binders, fillers, and pharmaceuticals, CVS has always been accommodating in ordering the generic form of a prescription if they did not have what I needed in stock. They never questioned it. They either already had another generic in stock? Or they would order the generic I needed and I would usually wait two days.

In the last 2 months? CVS decided to only carry one generic of any prescription I needed filled. Lucky me, the one generic I would be reacting to and so I requested they provide another generic as I had done before. I asked for the generic I was able to take. I was told over and over again, they could no longer do this. Not only was this no longer allowed, even for the purpose of a customer having an allergy to a certain generic, but all of the pharmacy employees claimed they never knew what brands they would receive until the brand came in.

So I called their customer service line. I was transferred to a so-called Regional Pharmacy director each time. Again, the repeat of stores not knowing what they are going to receive until they receive their pharmaceuticals to fill prescriptions! And no, this person even claimed CVS at never special-ordered generics so therefore will not change that policy. (?)

Now, I am starting to complain. I did some research, asked around, discovered if my prescribing doctor would put his signature on the prescription line indicating "dispense as written," instead of the other line they sign 99% of the time, which says something like, "substitutions are allowed," I would skip the whole generic fiasco and get the brand of my prescriptions! Happy day! My physicians were more than happy to do this. Fortunately, my insurance will cover brand name pharmaceuticals as well as the generic of the same pharmaceuticals or prescriptions.

The first time I gave this prescription, with my doctor's signature in the, "as written" line was the first time staff at any CVS location started to be rude with me. But I waited my 48 hours and the prescription was indeed filled with the brand and not any generic. Again, happy happy day! But... My physician wrote the second prescription for the same medication, signing again on the "as written" line... surprise! That generic I'm allergic to was in my prescription bottle. I had the pharmacist opened it because they have a policy which I understand that if a customer touches a bottle and then disputes the medicine inside the pharmacy is unable to change the prescription inside the bottle.

Now the pharmacy department at CVS is getting very angry. Instead of verifying that they had filled a requested brand name prescription with a generic of that prescription? I was told I had to receive a prescription for that pharmaceutical with whatever they had gotten in. How many times have I heard that line? I'm continually told CVS has no control over what each store receives. Not wanting to give in, and knowing there must be a way to handle this, I went to another pharmacy and found out more about how prescriptions are written. In order to receive the brand of a prescription? And not a generic of a prescription? Physicians are to sign the "as written line," AND write the actual name of the brand of the prescription in the center of the prescription, where they write the dosage and the chemical name of your prescription. Yay! Now I know what to do!

I return to my favorite CVS location and happily and over my correctly written prescription. Happiness again, I receive exactly what the doctor ordered! I have the brand of my prescription in hand period again after a two-day wait. I did notice the pharmacy staff had changed their attitude towards me and were becoming surly. What on Earth did I do? The second time I brought this same prescription in again, written again with the brand name in the center and the doctor signing on the "as written" line... I wait my 48 hours, have the person at the pharmacy window open the bottle so I can see what is inside (I have learned to be careful and do everything right), surprise! Inside the bottle is the generic again!

Okay, at this point I could write another long essay about this particular generic and CVS is relationship with this company. I definitely believe the reason this generic has taken over this medication's market at CVS is because CVS is getting a great deal on this medicine. I mention this, because I believe this is why CVS is having trouble filling all prescriptions! CVS has step back from helping the customer and stepped forward pharmaceutical companies who can give them the best price. It does not matter that the company has been in trouble multiple times by the FDA, and the FDA has even shut the company down from doing business with American companies. Now at CVS? The customer is no longer their concern. Their concern is the bottom line only! (Another phone call to the regional pharmaceutical director confirmed all of this.)

Back to my prescription, CVS claimed my doctor never wrote in the brand name on that prescription. I saw it. The brand name was there and he also signed off on the correct line! So now CVS has decided to lie? I am now feeling that prescription at another pharmacy, one that is not a chain pharmacy. It fills my prescription in 5 minutes and they have taken note of my allergies and the generics I cannot take. They have never had an issue with me. I am thrilled to be one of their new customers!

Foolishly, I had a refill coming up with another prescription last week. This is a common, very common, prescription. I have no issues with any generic forms of this prescription. I called in the refill information to their robo phone service. I received a weird text from CVS concerning this prescription. I was told there was a special delay. I assumed the usual 48 hours. I called and was told yes, I needed to give the pharmacy 48 hours. After 48 hours, I had not received another text stating the prescription was ready. So I called. I was told that same line again! They do not know what prescriptions they receive until they are delivered to their location! Apparently, this extremely common medicine was not being delivered to the store even though they definitely had me waiting and probably others as well! Now I am truly starting to get angry!

After 5 days of waiting, I finally received the text. My prescription was ready. At this point? My husband was angry and ready to get involved. So he went to CVS to pick up my prescription. I wished him luck, right. When he returned, he said they kept repeating the same line to him over and over. Something about them not knowing what medicines they would receive to dispense until their deliveries arrive. Wow, if I had a quarter for every time I heard that line from CVS! The truth is, CVS is purchasing their medicines for their pharmacies according to which medicine is available at the best price. If it is not available at a good price? They simply do not order it. Mark my words, if this is not happened to you yet? It probably will. And if you too need to get the brand of your medicine and not the generic? CVS will fight you with all they have to keep you from getting that brand!

Being over-the-top angry now, I avoid CVS at all costs. They were my favorite store, hands down. They had a pharmacy with a staff willing to help me all they could. Now, the head honchos at the corporate office is stifling these employees. They are not the same people anymore. They're definitely being stressed out! I will probably call their corporate office again. I do not believe anything is going to happen to bring about change to any company unless we as consumers speak out. If anyone is interested? You can find their customer relations phone number at their main website. Calling your local CVS is useless. When you do call customer relations? Ask to speak to a regional director or someone higher than the minimum wage person that has been hired to filled your complaints.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

I had been having terrible side effects on a birth control I had taken for years. When CVS was Target Pharmacy, I was fine. About a year - 2 years ago it changed, when I started having side effects. I finally talked to my doctor who saw they had changed my prescription 6 times within the last two years. They put a sticker on saying “it's the same medication, just not the same brand”. This is a lie. In fact, they changed my prescription to a completely different medication from a monophasic to a biphasic birth control that my doctor doesn't even prescribe due to side effects! When she places an order in to recify the situation and has it written to not change it from the name brand... I notice that they gave me the generic! So please if any of you have adverse side effects that you never used to have on your medication... Check and see if they were playing doctor and completely changed your medication!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

CVS activity promotes and advertises that "they care about customer's health" They have stopped selling cigarettes and have opened "health clinics" in their stores. They own CVS Caremark prescription drug plans, which I am a member (pay into). CVS Caremark does not cover **. The cost is $450 dollars even with ** coupons. Please tell me why this drug is not covered? Why does the CVS pharmacist recommend alternatives like nicotine patches and gum? Why has the cost of this drug risen over 75% in one year? I am disgusted with CVS.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

I am a senior citizen who lives in Manhattan Beach, CA. Because of limited mobility, I used a CVS pharmacy near my house. I had an extremely bad experience six months ago: I dropped off a prescription for three medications. After a 20-minute wait, my name was called and I stood in a "Pick up" line to pay. By the time I got to the front of the line, I discovered I only got 2 kinds of med. I inquired about the 3rd one. The clerk did not know why and said: "If you want to know, you have to stand in another line, for a reply, from another person. I did.

After another ten-minute wait in the SECOND line, I was told that my insurance company did not approve payment for the 3rd med and that they (CVS) had texted me to explain the situation- as they always did, she insisted. I slammed my smartphone down on the counter and asked her to go through all the texts that I received within the last 45 minutes. No text!!! I then agreed to pay full price, from my own pocket. At that point, CVS agreed to dispense the 3rd med except that now, it will be another ten to twenty minutes wait, a THIRD time, in another line just to pick up the missing med. I walked out and called the CEO of CVS to file a complaint. One of his henchmen explained to me "that's how our system works." I explained to her that CVS' system stinks and needs to be improved. I never heard from CVS again.

Fast forward: Earlier today, I was grocery shopping at a Target on Sepulveda Blvd, Manhattan Beach, only about 3/4 of a mile of the CVS store mentioned above. There is another CVS pharmacy inside this Target. Against my good judgment, I stood in line to buy some **. After 20 min wait, I was in front of the line, just to be told that I stood in the wrong line (CONSULTATION) to buy **. This medication does not require a doctor's prescription, therefore the CONSULTATION or the DROP OFF line do not apply. I had to stand in the PICKUP line to buy **. HOW WOULD A CUSTOMER KNOW THIS UNWRITTEN AND RATHER QUAINT POLICY OF CVS CORPORATION??? It is very obvious to me now that CVS does not care to correct its customer service problems. I am no longer a customer of CVS.

Original review: July 31, 2018

What I don't understand is CVS got all the Fagen pharmacies locks, stock and barrel and the treatment you get is attitude. Half the time you have wait two and three days for your meds. Your doctor fax your scripts. They tell you it's a two hour wait. You get there and it's not even ready. They should have left like it was!!! The young man that answer the phone got smart with me. I told him when I got there. He needs to learn how respect older people. He claim it was not him. I told him I know his voice. The girl that was with thought it was funny. They need to be check.

Original review: July 30, 2018

If I could give the CVS in both locations in Portsmouth VA a zero I would. I have had nothing but trouble with CVS since my husband started working for a company that requires us to use them as our prescription company. Most of the time I can’t even get my medicine at either pharmacy that’s closest to us. I’ve got to drive over 50 miles to a CVS that carries a certain medicine I take because the CVS just two minutes from me won’t order it!!

Today both locations in Portsmouth had me running between the two of them because each said the other could fill my prescription but when I got there surprise they gave me the wrong information. I sincerely hate the customer service as well. I am told one thing on the phone and another thing when I get there. They are so rude in the both pharmaceutical stores. I’m calling my insurance company after this review to corporate and I’m also going to find out if I can switch to another pharmacy which I think I can but I’m required to pay more!! It’s worth it. If we are paying for insurance we shouldn’t be treated like dirt beneath their shoes!! CVS doesn’t care about anything or anyone!!

Original review: July 24, 2018

Those poor CVS workers... the CVS coupon policies are incredibly difficult for anyone to understand. Either the cash register computers don’t work or ads are misprinted. There is always a long line because the cashiers have to leave their registers to show customers where items are. I would never work at this place due to corporate not caring about efficiency or their employees.

CVS Pharmacy Company Information