TJ Maxx

Compare Retail Stores

Research top Retail Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I love TJ Maxx but yes they need to train or hire more experienced cashiers. Texarkana, TX does awesome and I got to know a lot of their long term employees. Unlike Arlington, TX where I've had a young male talk back to me regarding an incident with my receipts. And every time I go it' seems like they always have new employees. That has a lot to say about a business. I've stopped going to the TJ MAXX here in Arlington, TX.

I was checking out the cashier asked if I wanted to apply for a card I said yes. We discover work he proceeded to take my money I had laid 20.00 bill on the counter. The cashier said I did not. And I did. I asked for a manager. He did not seem to want to insisting another clerk showed up. I explained again what happened. He looked around and a little (not in register.) I kept insisting for a manager. Finally one showed up. She seemed to not be interested in helping me. It was as if I was a liar. I asked them to look at their cameras, she said we don't do that. I was about in tears at that point all I wanted was my money. But I didn't get that either. They said she would call me in the Mort, they did not. I called them about 3 pm. He was rude and he said his manager did not see a problem. I feel like I have been robbed and mentally rapped off my dignity. I will never darken their doors again. I'm latterly awakened and discussed. TJ Maxx is a thief.

I purchased several items from TJ Maxx 1401 Hawthorne Blvd (California) on 10/03/2016, which 2 items were damaged. I returned the items and was told that I needed the package they came in. I was upset and left the store, the manager said he would keep the items in the back of store. I returned to the store 2 days later with package. They came in and the manager told me they threw the items away. I could not get the refund nor the items, which means I just gave away money. Then the manager gave me his boss ** and a customer service number. I attempted several time to get someone based on this contact information to address this issue with no avail. They (TJ Maxx) were not accommodating and took my funds for granted.

I had no choice but to write a review of this experience. I have the names of the managers that I was working with; however out of respect for their privacy I choose not publish their names; however TJ Maxx should take some accountable for this adverse behavior and take action. The towels returned were Lauren (Ralph Lauren), and the queen sheet set was Hotel Royale (1050 thread count). The item/s did not stand up under one wash on delicate, and TJ Maxx would not honor the returns and took my money.

I have been shopping at T.J. Maxx for several decades and have had no complaints about my in-store experience. Recently, I have placed a T.J. Maxx online order for the first time. The items did not fit. I went to my local T.J. Maxx to return the items. I was shocked at what happened. The salesperson and the manager told me that the items could not be returned at the store because I did not bring the plastic bags in which the items were wrapped. I did bring the receipt with me. All the tags were on the items intact. Apparently, they could not identify the items based on the tags and needed the plastic bags!!! However ridiculous that is, I would gladly play by the rules if they were explained on the website. On the contrary, no such information was provided either at the time of placing the order or when I was reading the return policy. When I mentioned this to the store manager, she snapped at me and said that this information was on the website.

I was not able to find this information online when I came home. In addition, T.J. Maxx online customer service works only Mondays through Fridays. Not only have I wasted my time. I am also now faced with paying $10.00 in return shipping fees. I have sent the customer service an inquiry and a request to waiver the shipping costs. I have not received an answer yet. BOTTOM LINE: T.J. Maxx practices a shameful, unfriendly, and deceitful customer service! I doubt I will ever shop there online.

I was picking up a lay away item that I put in because I did not want to make the looong line at the register the day I was there to pay the item. I thought, I will put it in lay away since nobody was there and pick the item another day. Today, I was there to pick up my item, and I could not believe that I have to wait in line for more than 45 minutes because one of the employees were picking up lots of items and TWO EMPLOYEES were attending this woman because I believe she was a manager. I CANNOT BELIEVE that employees can do that in regular customers time. I was weary and this woman (an employee of there) was bossing around another employees to bring her cart to take her stuffs. No even please or thank you. I believe that employees have all the rights to buy merchandise and put them in lay away but not in customers time. I WILL NEVER GO TO THIS STORE ANYMORE!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TJ Maxx?

In store experience: it seems like all the customer service were either chatting amongst themselves. When ask for help, they were slow and rude. As if you are bothering them. Online store: my first and my last time shopping there ever. I order two items. According to tracking, they were both shipped. Only to find out when I open the package that one item was missing. We are talking about a medium size dog mattress. I'd understand if it was something small and they forgot, but I only order TWO items and one of them was a mattress for dogs. They charged me and I HIGHLY doubt they will give me refund b/c according to their tracking, it was SHIPPED. TJ MAXX is the BIGGEST SCAM OF THE CENTURY. I WILL NEVER SPEND ANOTHER DOLLAR MORE AT THAT STORE. They should be ashamed of themselves.

My card was charged from another state 1000 miles away and TJX Rewards held me responsible for that. While I am in possession of the card, how can someone use the card and I should pay? The customer support pretend to be dumb. I have to pay $101 for no purchase!!

I love this store, good prices for fair quality items but I have shopped a lot of TJ Maxx stores and I have never seen bigger people working in them. I mean never. The Abilene store only has young tiny females, which is fine for them but I thought that Hollister had that market covered. I agree with the rest of the reviews. We need grown ups working somewhere for the store and it would be nice if they represented their customers more.

Ever try to buy runway items at TJ Maxx, and then return them, with a receipt, all tags attached, within the allotted time, only to have them look it up in a handheld computer, call 10 people over to examine the item, whisper about you in a huddle, ask you if you switched the ticket, and then ultimately decide to take the item back begrudgingly because they have to? Welcome to TJ Maxx where customer humiliation is the "service du jour". Their "descriptions" rarely match the item, so the 16 year old minimum wage high school kid at the register has no idea what to do.

They're not empowered to make a decision, so the manager is called. That manager will take his/her sweet time, walk around the floor for a while, ask a few other people, all while you are standing at the register feeling like a criminal over a pair of pants or a sweater. I'm a shopper. I also worked in retail. I am also an executive and I have never witnessed such horrific customer service and lack of knowledge in a retail store ever anywhere in the world, and I've been everywhere. From the red tags on the clothing, to the "I need to look this up" "this doesn't match" "have to call the manager" policies, this place is a garage dump. Lost my business and my $$$. Yes. All of that.

Do you even look at what you purchase and what it promotes? What is the message to a high-need neighbourhood when the home decor you chose to sell looks like a crack pipe (see pictures below!). As an educator who deals with students facing these situations in their lives, I found this item extremely offensive and of poor taste! We are in a national crisis with crack and cocaine, and proudly modeling the artifacts as home decor is a slap to the pain and suffering many in the community are struggling with! I would hope these items are promptly removed from all shelves!

I have never felt so uncomfortable shopping in a store before. I am at unless Ridge Hill, Yonkers. I was making a purchase at the register. I noticed the cashier kept looking at the ticket. I asked "is everything ok." She said, "no, this is not the price for the item." She then took the yellow label off. It was a Calvin Klein hand bag for 59.99 down yellow ticket to 30.00. I told her I didn't place it there and she proceeds to ignore me. She calls over another person who is in charge of the front.

I guess she was in charge but she had no name tag. She said "the price is 59.99 and I won't sell it for less" and she walked away. I decided to leave the bag and not make a commotion. Little did they know next to their register was my daughter. As my daughter is placing her items on the register she hears the two girls talking. The cashier said "don't put the bag away, I want it." Then she heard the cashier says "it's part of the purge, half off. Mark it down." And the girl that was in charge did. I find that to be disgusting customer service, rude and disrespectful that the workers would take thing from their customers.

My daughter walked away and said "I don't want my items." When the cashier noticed we were together she just rolled her eyes. I tried looking for a manager secretly but could not find one. So I asked an associate on the floor for a manager, she pointed out this tall kid. I asked for his name, she said Elvis. I never approached Elvis because how can you talk to a kid about his cashier's acting like little kids. TJ MAXX FIND SOME GROWN UPS TO BE YOUR MANAGERS TO RUN YOUR STORE, NOT KIDS. I want an adult to talk to, not someone my son's age. DISGUSTING...!

Sent my daughter to the Hoover, AL store today to purchase some jeans and to return two items. She had a receipt for both items; however, she was told that they were not accepting returns for the day! What? How is that possible??? They did, however accept purchases. POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!

I paid off the balance on my account back on May 21st 2016. Prior to that I called at Customer Service Dept. to verify full amount. They confirmed my balance was $1,711.47 which I paid off that day. A few day later I got a statement that said I had a balance of $41.68 for finance charges plus $25.00 late fee. I called immediately and they said it was a finance charged applied for the month I had paid. I said it was not fair that they didn't advised me of possible charges after a pay off, so I asked if it was possible to waive the charges as courtesy. I would really appreciated it. They said they would submit a request and I would have to call back to follow up on it. Well I called today to follow up on the requested and to my surprise my balance was even higher. Now it was $103.00. I asked to speak with a manager or supervisor, Allan one rep claims "we're too busy" and was not able to transfer me.

Then I asked for at least the name of a supervisor and he claimed he was not allowed to provide me with that info. Then I said I was to wait, then they put me on hold for more than a minute and then a Marc came to the phone who claimed he was an collection account manager. I explained the situation. He claims he could not find records of my calls and therefore he could only waive for one time courtesy late fee. Horrible experience. Marc's service was so apathetic!!!

This is not for the store itself, which I love and have nothing to complain about. This has to do with the very deceitful 'rewards' credit card they offer. Had I known what was going to happen, I would NEVER have signed up for this. I've been making purchases and paying on time and I looked at my credit card statement and lo and behold owed "interest charge on purchases" for $14.26 last week. I could not believe it. They 'get you' by offering rewards points towards in future purchases, so the idea is you spend more, you get more back. But you also apparently get CHARGED on these purchases! It's a sick trap and hugely disappointing especially since I'm a LOYAL shopper to these stores. It makes me second guess even supporting them by shopping there. I will be discontinuing my usage of the card.

I purchase a watch from TJ Maxx online for my aunties birthday. I mistakenly chose an old Address I use to live in 1 hour away from me. I called their company's CS, I was hung up on 6 times. I was later fortunate to get someone who told me that they would change the address despite the fact I ordered a day before and the item hasn't shipped out. She said I would have to call ups. I called ups who said they can only change it on shippers request. I called TJ Maxx. Beak antithesis what I was advised. They were very rude and dismissive saying there is nothing they could do. It is against their policy to change address and it's my loss since I put the incorrect address.

They would still move forward with shipping it, so I requested a cancellation and advised them to tell shipper to send them back the item since ups wouldn't accept a pick up. She said they can't also do that, that I would have to let them ship item to the incorrect address and wait for the residence of the address to return the item to the post office. I was dazed by their stupidity and lack of sense. I would never be ordering anything from them and told everyone I know. I asked where is it on the Order page that I can't change my address. She said it's not on the order pay but it's on the return policy. I asked her if I was returning an item or buying one? I went to even check the return policy and nothing was like that was there and going to report this fraudulent transaction to my bank.

I accidently forgot my handbag at the St Cloud, MN Store. I was an hour away before I realized it. I called and talked to the manager Lilly. She shipped my bag to me FedEx. It arrived with everything intact including the cash! I was so impressed with her service and her staff's service! I shop at TJ in Duluth, MN at least once a week. They are nice enough but the staff at St Cloud were AWESOME! Kudos to them!

I did not intend to include a complaint with this review as I am so happy with my experience listed above but I must say that the older (55+) female manager at the Duluth, MN store (sorry I do not know her name) has made me uncomfortable with returns. You have a generous return policy which is why I shop with you. She has questioned me on my returns in an embarrassing way at times. I have returned things that I had for some time but they were never worn/used. I say, change your policy or train your staff to be pleasant regarding returns.

If you check your records with my credit card you will see I spend over a thousand dollars a month on my card. At least $400 of that is in the Duluth TJ Maxx store. I think I am a good customer and want to be treated with dignity and respect. Again, my point of this review was mainly to compliment Lilly at the St Cloud, MN store, but, once I got in here I kept thinking about the negative vibe I get from the manager at the Duluth store.

Today we bought among other things roasted almonds in and walnuts packet which contained rancid stuff at State College, PA - TJ Maxx. I went to return it - the customer service is non-existent. As the packet is opened I was told that they cannot accept it. The customer service rep did not even understand what rancid means... Well I just left the packet and told them do whatever they want. If you can help don't buy food items from TJ Maxx.

I ordered a pair of wedge sandals (Soho Girl Sunny 2 Cork Wedge Sandal) back in May so I would have them in time to for a wedding in two weeks. I only wore them a handful of times to get used to them as it has been quite a while since I've had a pair of shoes that tall. I wore them to an interview last week, but as I got in my car to leave, a strap broke on the shoe.

I called to talk to TJ Maxx about sending them back as a defective exchange, and was told I would have to call the manufacturer. When I looked up a manufacturer, I learned there were several different lines of Soho Girl and I would probably be searching all day to find the right one. What I want to know is, why is it that I can order a product from TJ Maxx, but when it breaks, I have to figure out who made it and what their return policy is? I bought it from TJ Maxx, they should fix the issue. Not send me on a wild goose chase. I will not be ordering anything from them again, so that I don't have to go chasing a new product when the first one breaks.

TJX rewards card is a complete rip off. Extremely long hold time to get NO assistance rather instructed to call yet another 800# not listed on bill. Don't allow account online access & charge late penalties prior to sending out statements, refuse to take payments from anyone other than account holder regardless of hospitalization. Refuse to make mailing address corrections to insure statements are received. Both Jasmine & Carmy do NOT listen & constantly interrupts trying to quickly pass call onto another person.

How can they charge 2 late fees in a month's time without providing a bill to the consumer. Not to mention it took over an hour to make the payment since the representative would not LISTEN to the consumer giving the checking account number. Had to repeat numbers over 6 times before representative FINALLY repeated it correctly. I WOULDN'T RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY TO ANYONE!!!

Consumer Increased Rating!

I sent a postal letter to the corporate office and explained the situation. They replied with an apology and a $25 gift certificate. They said their video surveillance showed my mother "placing her money back in her wallet." Therefore, they have no reason to think anything else happened. While I am pleased that they responded to me, I am unhappy with the whole incident and initial way my mother was treated by the employees of this store.

M. N. of Lino Lakes, MN on

Original Review

My 84-year-old mother made a purchase of two pieces of luggage at the Kohler, WI store. She was offered a discount if she applied for the TJ Maxx credit card. Upon form completion, the cashier told my mother, "First use of our credit card always requires a CASH purchase. Your total is $**." My mother paid the full amount. Her first surprise was when she decided to return one of the items. It was then she realized it had been a credit card transaction, not cash as she had assumed. Weeks later, she received her credit card statement which showed she owed a balance of $**.

We strongly believe the cashier had pocketed the money! My mother called the store manager, John, who did not share her alarm at such a claim. The police were contacted, as well as the district supervisor. It is assumed the cashier either signed in under someone else's name, or edited the tape... Not sure. Security cameras were "unable" to prove my mother's innocence. In the end, TJ Maxx offered no help in regards to such a blatant ripoff scheme. In fact, my mother was treated with skepticism. An additional concern now is identity theft.

One has to wonder how many people in this chain are involved in this scam? Of course, the receipt showed it was a credit card sale. My mother has had no recourse or compensation. And, in case you are wondering, she does not have dementia or any other disability; other than trusting too much and believing a liar. In retrospect, she should have called the police BEFORE she called the store manager. Thanks for listening. I hope her loss will at least protect someone else from the same scam.

I ordered two of the same dress for my upcoming wedding. The Theia cap sleeve V-neck gown in ivory and white. I decided to keep the white dress to wear at my wedding and I returned the ivory dress. I accidentally returned the ivory dress in the plastic of the white dress which I didn't realize had the SKU of the white dress on the plastic. So when the dress arrived back at TJ Maxx they refunded me for the white dress even though I returned the ivory dress. The white one is hanging in my closet.

I called them now six times beginning in June 6, 2016 and each time they tell me that they need to escalate the dispute and/or resubmit the dispute because they may have realized that I am right but the warehouse needs to confirm it. It is quite obvious if someone were to just look at the dress that it's the ivory dress that I returned, not white. I've told them that I would take a picture of the SKU that I have and the white dress that I kept to show them that I have it but they have not asked me to send that and instead have fielded my calls to tell me what I have said above. It's a difference of $100 which may not seem like a lot but when saving for a wedding, every penny counts. I'm not sure what else to do here.

Went to pick up a $600 layaway and they put it back after 2 days of original pickup! A $600 sale thrown away! Now I spend easily $500 to $1000 each visit at least 3 times a month! Instead of contacting the customer you cancel and you claim put it back! Then keep a portion of my money!!! I'm livid and WILL NEVER SPEND ANOTHER DIME IN THIS ** PLACE! You don't require any extra time to pick up a layaway... I can see 10 days but 5! What the hell but it was so much nice stuff I'm sure staff just bought it all up. Why it was cancelled so quick!!! Sad management and sad low uneducated workers! They look like they have no real training or even want to be at work! A $600 sale and that same day I spent an additional $350 on more clothes! Almost $1000! NEVER AGAIN. I'LL SHOP GOODWILL FIRST AND ONLINE BOUTIQUES!

I had an older gift card that I had to take to a store (inconvenienced) just to find out the balance because there was no # to call on the card to find out the balance. I did use the card for a small purchase while I was there. It was a $25 gift card and still has a balance of $19.64. Today when trying to make a purchase online, I could NOT use the card because there is NO Scratch off pin to put in the number that the website asks for after putting in the card number. So after trying to find a contact us page on the website which I never found, I called a CS Number that I did find. 1-800-926-6299. First I got a message about how no one was available because of some kind of MEETING then it gave me the option to have them call me back when a rep was available.

After hanging up, very shortly they called back. I asked, "How can I use my giftcard on your website without a PIN?" She said, "You CAN'T." And I asked, "Is there anything you can do so I can make my purchase online? Because things I wanted from the website I could not get in the store." She said, "Not unless we have a pin for the card." I then asked, "Can't you find the balance and issue me a credit or another card that I can use on your website." "NOT without a PIN." She offered NO OTHER OPTIONS.

I am very upset and very disappointed because now I HAVE to go back to the store and try and find something that I want instead of the items I wanted from the WEBSITE. And from what I've read about TJ MAXX in general is very dissatisfying and disgraceful. I couldn't believe some of the simple issues people had that could have been easily resolved and weren't or rejected even for a simple return. I will use the rest of my balance on my gift card and THAT WILL BE THE LAST TIME I SHOP WITH TJ MAXX.

I placed an order on line for several sets of wine glasses. One of the boxes had 7 glasses when there should have been 8. I called customer service and just ask them to send the missing glass. They said I would have to pack them up, take them to UPS store, wait for a credit and then reorder and hope that it comes correct the second time.

Very disappointing that I am the one who is inconvenienced when they are the ones who shorted the order. I order on line because of the convenience. If I made a bad purchase on sizing, color, etc. I would take responsibility for the return but they are the ones who should make it right with as little inconvenience to the consumer as possible. They obviously do not care about their customers. Buyers beware. I should have checked reviews before I placed my order. Very disappointing and rude. I have never written a review before but I think people should know how poor the customer service is at TJ Maxx online shopping.

Placed online order on 4/19/2016. Immediately after wanted to cancel because shipping costs so high. But there is no cancel functionality with this system, unlike Amazon, Walmart, Target, etc. Apparently there is small print someplace telling you this, but the TJ Maxx system lacks standard, basic ordering functionality. I immediately called to ask if I could cancel. The customer service rep said I could not cancel, but I could return the order to any store for a refund of both the item charge and shipping charge. This turned out to be incorrect. Two errors on the part of TJ Maxx: online system is not robust, lacks basic functionality, and 2 customer support gave incorrect advice and company refused to compensate my shipping costs--which were $9 on a $25 item.

Ok not the 1st experience with pricing. Purchased shorts for 16.99, at TJ Maxx. Next door same shorts 19.99 at Marshalls. Prior experience in Home Goods with an area rug purchased for 399.$. Returned it due to defect. Store returned it to had identical rug for 299$. I however did have receipts. Got my full return. My problem is with corporate - explanation of purchasing items at different times by different buyers. Doesn't fly with me. You do not get different pricing from same vendors at different times.

I ordered packing cubes, 1 red backpack, and 3 pink backpacks. The backpacks were gifts for a dorm party. When I opened the box that was delivered to our doorstep there were a pair of black boots, a small pair of blue jeans, and the items I ordered except for the red backpack. I finally found the customer service telephone number on the TJ Maxx website and called explaining my problem. I was told to put the items that I did not order back in the box, place the return label on the outside of the box, and drop off the package at the UPS store. I was told I would receive a refund and an e-mail with the confirmation of this agreement. Neither has happened. I have also sent e-mails and have had no replies concerning this mix-up.

TJ Maxx credit card has a 26% or 28% interest rate. It's ridiculous. They don't tell you this when they push the product on you. I found out when I got the paperwork in the mail and tore up my credit card. My mom just called me and said she got the credit card. I told her about the interest rate and she went back and asked that they cancel the card. She returned the garment and purchased it for cash. It was about $10. Really? Your cashier pushed the TJ Maxx credit card on an elderly 75 year old woman for a $1 discount? Really? This is borderline elder abuse. Cut it out! I just wanted this information out there. No need to contact me. I'm too busy for this.

I was in my local TJ Maxx shopping in the clearance isle for some washcloth. A ** lady was at the right of me shopping too. I heard a door open. It was the stockroom. A man came out, looked at me and proceed to where he was going, then he pass by again and went back in the stockroom. Shortly a guy came with a cart, ask the lady and I if the cart belong to us. I replied no. She did as well.

After I finish with the washcloth I walked over to the kids clothes when the stock room man approached me and point to my bag to see in it, I pour everything from my small cross body bag and showed him then he thumbs up and walk away. I was so embarrassed as other people was looking at me. I asked for the manager. She apologized and said she'll talk to him as he should have never done that but I don't think she did anything to him. Because I was ** I was the one stealing but the ** lady was not. He should be fired for what he did to me not talk to like she said. And I'm 100% sure if they have camera they can see I was not doing anything but finding the best washcloth.

After several messages back and forth explaining that TJX website does not work correctly. Needless to say, I will be cancelling my account. If TJX cannot find someone within their company to correct their website to make it work for their customers, how can I trust they will secure my account information?

TJ Maxx Company Profile