3.5/5 (1918 ratings)

About TJ Maxx

TJ Maxx Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TJ Maxx?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about TJ Maxx?

Original review: Oct. 15, 2022

I bought a $500 handbag at the TJ Maxx near my house and the clerk encouraged me to open a credit card because they offered a discount with your first purchase. I paid the credit card off in 2-3 timely payments and to my surprise, I got a statement in the mail saying they were closing my account. Very odd because I have an Amazon card and one other store credit card from the same bank.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2022

TJ Maxx teller pressured me into getting their credit card. Immediately after, I attempted to pay the full amount early by bank transfer. The routing number was incorrect, but rather than providing notice and offering a grace period to process the payment with the correct routing number, TJ Maxx decided to just charge me a late fee and further interest on the balance -- which wouldn't have incurred had my early payment gone through -- until I logged in and found out *myself* that the initial payment wasn't processed. It seems they decided to *not* send me a notice in order to bide their time and allow that balance to incur interest to put you deeper into debt to them.

In other words, rather than care about their customers and help them continue to be good customers, TJ Maxx would rather make it more expensive for you to be their customer and harder for you to get out of being in debt to them. They'd rather keep charging you pennies for interest payments rather than thinking long-term on the value of a customer and making sure you had a good experience with them.

This was my first and last time buying anything from TJ Maxx, and I'm cancelling this awful credit card that their teller pressured me into signing up for. I've been a Platinum Card holder at two other creditors for over two decades now, and they have EXCELLENT customer service and benefits that keep me using them, even though the annual fee increases, because they will work to make their customers happy and ensure that the value of their benefits are always greater than the cost of the fee. This is not about being cheap. TJ Maxx needs to learn that investing in their customer service and in their employee training so that their employees care more about helping customers rather than screwing them over would be better for business in the long run.

Get buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2022

Kari **

Aug 6, 2022, 2:44 AM (2 days ago)

To TJ Maxx

I was offered to join Rewards which I did just like I did Kroger Ollie's Big Lots. Only after they ran my credit did they let me know I was applying for a credit card. This hits my report then I had to in order to get my 10% since I was already screwed on my credit report. When I wanted to just pay for it I wanted the 10% off but I thought it was a reward. I didn't realize that it was reward in order to penalize me for any interest that may be gained. I am very disappointed. I was asked, "Do you want to join our Rewards program?" And of course I said yes because they said it would give me 10% off.

After all said and done I'm screwed. I asked them please in the future tell people, "Do you realize you're applying for a credit card." And I'm not sure if she was a manager or who she was. Said, "Oh no we have to present it as a reward card." I feel very misled plus I'm not sure what impact this is going to have on the things I have going on in my finances. All I wanted to do is get some clothes at a decent price so I can start my new job on Monday and I got a few things to make me feel special. At the end all this happened. As soon as the money shows on that credit card I'm going to pay it off, close the credit card and not shop at T.J Maxx.

Also they asked me for my driver's license. I asked them why because it had my old address. It didn't have my new address. They said it didn't matter. Since I didn't know I was applying for a credit card now that credit card is going to go to my old address then be forwarded to an address because I didn't know where I was moving. Hopefully it will get to me prior to Me closing it. Horrible horrible horrible experience.

The girl waiting on me did everything she was supposed to however she was not trained properly and the people guiding her regarding her for my destruction. If you would like to contact me feel more than welcome. I went to the Richmond Indiana store. I'm sure you will have all of that because you're the one that sent me the email. I don't need a credit card. I didn't want your credit card but if you wanted me as a frequent shopper I should get rewards anyway. I regret the money I spent with you today.

Did I like the product? Yes. From now on I'd rather shop at Goodwill. They give me a reward card and don't trick me into having a credit card and running my credit. I am usually not a person to speak up but you feel like you have to be on the watch through the internet everything and I thought I had good money I was going to make some good purchases spend some money. And I felt like oh great they're going to reward me. No I got **.

Original review: July 7, 2022

This is about the website. Happened twice -wrong items labeled. Incorrectly sent. Also no confirmation of order is emailed so there is often no record of order- Then they had wrong spelling of my email but also correct spelling! I am missing a whole order that was charged because they have no revive of it! You have to screenshot your order! Then customer service is like speaking to your confused grandmother -totally unprofessional and unhelpful and unapologetic and —unbelievable.

Original review: June 29, 2022

I have tried TJ Maxx many times but always walk out empty handed. In particular, women's clothing. The Goodwill has better selection. All of the clothing is cheap rags. The material is cheap, the styles are horrible, the selection is threadbare--yes pun, the sizing is arbitrary. If there is a chance at selection it's online. There is no style or selection for the price instore. I recall the days of Liz Claiborne where an entire season of style, quality fabric and selection were the norm! How does this place stay in business? All horrible clothing from China, and India. The accessories such as hats, belts, handbags are acceptable.

Original review: May 31, 2022

Cashier had no change in her register to receive my cash payment. No signs were posted and she didn't say anything until I made the purchase. Long lines, wait time 20 minutes. They need to do better with informing customers ahead of time.

Original review: May 24, 2022

I made a purchase at a TJ Maxx of some candies, but they tasted awful! I tried to return them and was refused! I phoned the customer service number on their website and was extremely pleased with the response!!! I was phoned later in the day by that particular store manager who told me to please come in with my return, apologized profusely for the error made by one of her employees, and would like to not only process the return but give me a free gift as well!!! Finally, a company that takes customer service seriously! Thank you TJ Maxx!

Original review: April 20, 2022

Toxic Chemicals Found in Indonesian Made Clothing in TJ Maxx. Bad smell, still losing color many washes. Bad smell even affect other clothing very bad. Especially some of jeans. Found same jeans made in Mexico, etc. no problem in the TJ Maxx.

Original review: April 19, 2022

I ordered items online and used my PayPal that is linked to my bank credit card...(This protects my account shopping online)..I went to the store to return some items and was told I would have to take a store credit because I used PayPal..I explained it came right out of my bank account but would not budge...I had to take over a 100 store credit...(which I will use now at Home Goods). I am so disappointed in this company..I have shopped here for years and love it but I refuse to ever spend my money here again...this is a stupid policy that they need to change!!

Original review: April 15, 2022

Today I went to TJ MAXX in Warner Robins GA to make a return and purchase. The young lady who waited on me once transaction was completed did not say thank you or have a nice day. Had to beg the manager for a thank you. Since neither wanted to give one on their own. I shop and spend too much money there not to get a simple thank you and have a nice day.

TJ Maxx Company Information