2.86/5

347 TJ Maxx Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 23, 2019

I called TJM TWICE BECAUSE I DID NOT RECEIVE A BILL. I know the payments must be received before the 19th of the month. I spoke with the store manager. She told me to drive to the store and make my payment. I told her the payments are sent to a bank, not paid at the store. She was nasty, and impatient. She said, "I told you what to do, (drive to the store)." The store manager does not know how payments are made? After one half hour of talking to computer I spoke to a "Person". Again I said I did not receive the bill, and would appreciate removal of the late fee. She said there was nothing she could do. And said if the bill comes in my mail today I should pay it. For what? It's still overdue. I called the CEO. Spoke with a very nice lady, her name was Cindy. Then I received a call from one of the executives. He said he would speak to the employees. That was approximately 2 weeks ago.

This morning 4/23/2019, I called again. I was going to suggest the bill get mailed to a different address. "You cannot speak to a CEO," THAT Is FOR EMPLOYEES. I tried to tell her I did speak with a CEO, but the phone was slammed down and I heard loud music. I think the employees of TJM should be "toilet trained" in how to treat a customer. I suggest they go to Nordstrom and learn the meaning of respect.

Original review: April 20, 2019

Do not order Rae Dunn items... or anything that you really want. Anything you order that is fragile will be delivered damaged and they make you jump through hoops to get your money back, even though then know no packing material was used to secure the item! The customer care representatives can do nothing to help at all. Many times part of your order will not be shipped, you will be charged and then you have to wait until it’s been 11 days before you can even start to get your money back. They make YOU call back, they know the items won’t be shipped but still have to wait! I’ve even seen a label created and nothing! Just another way to charge the card knowing the items won’t be shipped. Very unethical company. Buyers beware!

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 15, 2019

T.J. Maxx is a terrible company. I advise the public do not order online from them nor go into their department stores and buy anything from them. I placed an order online and received it. Returned to the store. They would not give me my shipping and handling refund.

Original review: April 15, 2019

Wow I will NEVER EVER order online from TJ Maxx again. I never write reviews but it’s been such a bad experience that I have to. Placed an order 2 weeks ago, still hasn’t shipped. They cancelled half of my order 2 weeks after placing my order because it’s “no longer in stock”. Ok then WHY place HALF of my order instead of emailing me letting me know there’s only 2 of the 4 pillows left in stock? Called them, they said, “There’s nothing I can do or that they can do.” I said “I ordered 4 pillows for a reason. I don’t want the other 2 if I can’t get my full order”. Once again, there’s “nothing they can do”.

They’ve created this mess and I’m left wondering if my package is even gonna show up considering it hasn’t shipped yet and it’s past the delivery due date. Also I’ve called several times and every time they say there is nothing they can do. This company is a JOKE And absolute sloppiest company I’ve ever dealt with. Can’t wait to return the 2 pillows (if I ever even get them) & never order from them again. Trust all these bad reviews!!! I should’ve before I ordered. But now I know. Never again.

Original review: April 13, 2019

I work in the Call center for TJ Maxx Online. I get nothing but horribly upset customers all day because their items haven't shipped and it's been more than ten business days. Their items arrived damaged and by policy I have to send them on an entire Lord of the Rings quest to receive a refund. They didn’t receive an item and I can’t send it out. They are sent a wrong item and I can’t issue a refund until after the CUSTOMER sends the items back to fulfillment (literally the slowest working warehouse I've ever heard of) receives the item(s) and THEY issue the refund, or anything else you could think of that could go wrong and the customer pretty much has to solve a problem that we created.

I'm one of the few reps that actually does everything they can to get the customer happy but when I'm on the phone for too long trying to go above and beyond for a customer, I have my supervisor looking over a desk or walking up to mine telling me to speed it up. I treat every customer how I would want to be treated if my stuff got lost or what have you... horrible company, horrible policies, horrible system, horrible shipping... it's just bad.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TJ Maxx?

Original review: March 29, 2019

Purchased a Kenneth Cole two piece swim set for my spring break trip next week. Unfortunately they only sent the top! It blows my mind that they ONLY sent half my order. What type of employees do they have working at their distribution centers to make such a huge mistake! I'd prefer an email stating the item is no longer available but NO! Called customer service spoke to a gentlemen who said give it the full 7 day delivery. Waited... nothing! Called again yesterday and they were not helpful. Told me to contact the manufacturer directly and offered no help in the situation. Kept saying, "There's nothing I can do." Offered free shipping but the way they deliver items, not sure if I want to order online anymore!

I order this item with plenty time for delivery and for my trip. Now I have to go back to the store and find another suit. This inconvenienced me more than they know and free shipping DOES NOT CUT IT! I even went as far as contacting the manufacturer, and again I was unsuccessful. I hope someone reads this and makes changes to their work flow because what they're doing makes no sense! Sending someone half of a set... it's actually comical someone that moronic would make such a decision.

Original review: March 21, 2019

In February I ordered 2 farmhouse style tables marked as on clearance at $43 each. I received 2 hideous gold, throwback to the 70s, mirrored, circular wall shelves. The shipping form had the right item description and pricing info. I called TJ. They apologized and said I could send them back for a refund. Ok, fine, I can go out of my way to do that since you can't go out of yours to send the right items, but I wanted the tables. Since there were 2 and they were shipped individually my assumption was there was disconnect in the warehouse and maybe the wrong item was pulled. So I'm asking how to get the right item and am told they can't guarantee that I will if I reorder.

I recalled seeing the same item online with the before-clearance price of $59.99 each and decide to check it out. I pulled up the table with both the regular price and the clearance price and see the issue. The item number is different, also the description is slightly different, but the photo is the same. I made the gamble and reordered using the regular price ad. I finally got the tables, but not at the clearance price and it took several weeks for the refund to be made on the what should have been the first set.

Now here we are on the next order which was placed on March 9, 2019. It's now 3/21 and nothing has shipped. I emailed customer service 5 days ago and was told it was 'processing' and they were having a problem with the warehouse. You think?! 2 of the items in this order are now 'no longer available' per the website. They were available when I ordered, but do you think I will get them now? Most likely not. The REALLY sad part is I used to work for this company and as things are now, I'm ashamed to admit it.

Original review: March 16, 2019

808 COLUMBUS AVE: I purchased a pair of Fendi sunglasses on 3/14/19. Went back on 3/15/19 to purchase another pair of the same glasses. There was an issue with the glasses not having a price tag and I was told I have to go home and bring the proof of purchase. After showing the price tag and receipt to woman at the register that was originally helping me Adelin, the only person who was displaying proper customer service apologizing For all of my inconvenience. The manager Maritza who never came over to try to fix the issue still had an issue with honoring the price. Called another stores then asked me to go back home and get the sunglasses. I spend way too much money at TJ Maxx to be treated this way.

Original review: March 12, 2019

Check your credit card bill if you have ever ordered from TJMaxx.com. I always use the free shipping code SHIP89 for free shipping on my orders, but just noticed today that they STILL charge me shipping! Over the past 6 years of ordering online that's probably hundreds of dollars in shipping fees that I should NOT have been charged! Just filed a complaint with BBB and trying to get to the bottom of this.

Original review: March 10, 2019

I brought 4 expensive items with full 4 corner and sensor security tags on each item to the register to purchase. Each security device with sensor was on each package and can only be removed at the register. One of the items felt light and upon checking it at the register was shown that the item was missing from the box. We checked one other of the 4 items at the register and it did have the item inside the package. We did not check the other 2 as we were focused on the one that was missing and the rudeness and arrogance of the cashier. The other 2 boxes also felt of normal weight.

When we got home, and opened up the other two items we found one of the items was missing. It was after 9:30 p.m. and we now have to wait until the store opens today to go back and show them and get our money back. Two of the four items were stolen and could only be stolen by the person that was putting the security device on the packages. This was two different departments. I am not only calling corporate on Monday, but I'm calling the Attorney General's office to file a complaint for consumer fraud and as a third step I'm contacting the news to alert them of the inside theft.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

I am left sitting with $$$ reward certificates that TJX claims to 'NEVER EXPIRE". It's a lie. They closed my credit card account (I had multiple accounts) for INACTIVITY and refused to honor the certificates I earned worth hundreds of dollars. They are using fraudulent advertising by telling people the reward certificates are "ALWAYS good"!

In the store I was told to simply call the corporate office and they will 'reissue". When I called...I was first transferred to a company offshore...where I couldn't understand the representative's accent... So I asked to be transferred back to the United States. I was transferred to Reginald #** who told me I was 'out of luck' because the credit card was now closed. He said that when THEY closed my card for 'inactivity' it automatically "FORFEITED" all of my rewards. He told me there was no one who could look into this and no one who would do the right thing and honor their rewards. SHAME ON THE TJX companies.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

I have had several displeasing experiences with TJ Maxx, online and in store. The two most recent are as follows: I placed an order online in January. When my order arrived, I was missing an item. I contacted the customer service department, and told them what had happened. I requested that the pair of pants that I was missing be mailed in a separate order. They apologized and said that they would not be able to send the pants but that they would refund my money. I told them that I ordered the pants because I wanted the pants. I also stated that the order that they were part of qualified for free shipping, whereas, one pair of pants would not. I did get my money back, but I am without the pants.

Tonight, I drove to TJ Maxx, an hour away from my home, to return a sweater that I ordered online a week or two ago. I was unable to return it, though I had a receipt because I had not kept the plastic that it was wrapped in. They said I would have to send it back, but that is another almost $10 in shipping. I have been regularly ordering items from TJ Maxx, but I believe I just need to stop doing so. I have had several other negative experiences not mentioned above, and I have learned my lesson, at this point.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I ordered a sweater online before Christmas, and it should have arrived in time. I noted an exception error from UPS. Apparently TJ Maxx chose the wrong shipping method and it could not be delivered to a PO Box, so it was returned to TJ Maxx (every other online retailer has a system in place to alert you if an item cannot be delivered to a PO Box, apparently TJ Maxx does not).

I had to contact customer service - I asked if they could redeliver to the PO Box via regular mail, or send it to my house address. I got an email insinuating that this was my fault, and once they received it back, it would be logged as a return. I would have to wait for that to happen, then they would credit my charge card, and since I used a gift card for part of the purchase, they would have to reissue the GC and mail it to me. THEN I could reorder the sweater... Approximately a month after Christmas, I received an empty envelope from TJ Maxx with no GC...the saga continues. Terrible customer service, they really didn't seem to care - and one month later, I have not been refunded, nor do I have the sweater. It will probably be summer before this gets straightened out.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I placed an online order on December 17th. I received an email with tracking information on December 18th. It was supposed be arriving before Christmas. Order was never received, I called to follow up on December 28th, they “opened” an investigation. I called January 4th to follow up, was told I had to wait 10 business days and that I could call back after January 14th if I haven’t heard from them. I called today and nothing has been done. My first call got disconnected, second call I was told the investigation was just opened today, asked to speak with a supervisor and was told there was no supervisor, the girl didn’t know how to handle frustrated customer so I hung up the phone because I didn’t call to argue.

Called again and got another rude girl who seemed like the same as before but I can’t confirm that. Asked again for a supervisor, got the same answer, she was even yelling at me and I hung up again because I am not about to argue with unprofessional people. My card was charged, I didn’t get my order, and if this is the type of staff they have on hand to help customers, then it is obvious why so many negative reviews.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

SO disappointed because I received the wrong item. I called, and the girl was not apologetic nor did she try to do something to make me happy. So I had to drive to UPS and have them return the item. Then I went back online to find it and purchase it again, but my size was not available anymore.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I visited the store today in Alpharetta, Ga to return jewelry I purchased from this location a week ago. As I approached the counter the key holder was assisting someone else at the moment with a purchase which took about 5 minutes. Once she was finished she never acknowledged me. She walked off and then turned around as if she didn’t see me standing at the counter for the past 5 minutes while she completed a purchase and held a conversation with the customer. She did not greet me as I have normally been greeted in TJ Maxx which is disappointing and her actions was disgusting. She then went on to complete my return and when it was time to give me back my money she placed it on the counter which is beyond rude.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

Illegal taxes on merchandise, broken merchandise, irresponsible customer service - all are with a red flag. One example out of numerous: I ordered two plaques for the wall. One plaque arrives. The price is 99.99 and the tax is $17. The tax in New York is under 9%. Then another huge box arrives with the item I even did not see on Internet. The price again is 99.99 plus tax $17. To handle this huge box in order to send it back was an experience in itself. The refund was 108.85. I already know that to call customer service is a sheer waste of time. Now every dish or small bowl with excessive tax is diligently returned into the store. The shop person's jaw drops, she calls for the manager. Good news - they return illegal tax manually. I just wonder if there is any organization to protect from the fraud?

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

I ordered nearly my Christmas shopping for my kids and grandkids one week ago. I have still knock on the confirmation on the order. There's no tracking number. When I call customer service they keep telling me I should get it by Christmas Eve. No one will follow up in the order. They cannot expedite to order. They cannot cancel the order. They cannot assure me that it's just going to ship today or tomorrow. Basically I'm at a loss to be able to get these gifts on time. I don't know if I'm going to have to try another retailer and pay for express shipping to get some gifts here by Christmas Eve. I just need someone from TJ Maxx to help me and that is not happening.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

I bought a rug in the Reno TJ Maxx. The rug was shedding all over the place and after two weeks I brought it with a check and asked to return it. The manager said that it was used even though it was in the same shape, they didn't give me a refund. It is a total violation of rights because I was not satisfied with the product and they refused to give me back my money.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

I WILL NEVER SHOP AT THIS PLACE AGAIN??? ROSEVILLE MICHIGAN STORE! They kept all my money for being 10 days late. I put $200.00 worth of merchandise in their layaway. I paid $160 and was in there today to pick it up and they told me that the due date was 2nd which is understandable. I would have even understood them taking a restock fee fine. But they took the whole entire 160 and said since I was late picking up my merchandise there was nothing I can do. Keep in mind the items I purchased was about $200. I paid 160. Came in to pick it up and they kept all of my money???

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

While shopping at TJ Maxx Brickyard on a very busy day, the cashier Judy provided exceptional service as she was very friendly professional and also helpful. She seemed to really know her business and her friendly attitude really made my day! I will definitely be back and look forward to seeing Judy again.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I ordered a canvas painting online and was sent the wrong one, and when I tried to return it there was no return label or shipping invoice. They said they would charge me for shipping if there's no invoice, which is ridiculous, since THEY sent me the wrong item. ** customer service and online ordering system. You pay for what you get!

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

Helped at register by cashier Alyssa **. This cashier was very helpful. She gave me a positive shopping experience, was very polite, and worked fast. This person was knowledgeable about policies and procedures. Return was made on 12/10/18 at 8:53:35. Survey number **.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I ordered a product on December 1st 2018. I received the standard confirmation email and the usual pending charge to my account. Six days go by and it's still the same. No shipment email - nothing from the company at all. December 7 I notice the charge is completely missing from my account. No longer pending, not at all charged. I check my emails - nothing. I check to site and the product is still there. My order is completely MIA and the company cannot explain why or how. It should've been shipped days ago. This is the holiday season and the product I ordered isn't available online easily. It was a steal and an awesome find. Now it's no longer going to be the Christmas gift I envisioned and paid for. No response from company. It's ridiculous to sit that long and then just completely disappear without a word especially during the holiday season.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I place an order for $178.00 on Nov. 14. I received an order Nov 26. Unfortunately, this was not MY order. My order was sent to someone in another state while I received hers. When I called customer service I was told that I would need to send what I was sent back to them and they will process my refund. This refund will take 10-14 days for them to process and my bank another 3-5 days to post, on top of the 2 weeks it takes for them to receive the shipment back from me. Customer service said that was all they could do since the package isn't considered lost. Now I am out the money and the gifts meant for my children for Christmas. I will NEVER waste my money and energy at TJ Maxx. I feel like they stole from me.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I am really disappointment with the people who calculate the rewards-coupons. I always check my rewards and I had so many problems with it, now it has to be 60 dollar coupon and they are calculating 20 dollars. The difference in between my purchased and credits is 1,286 dollars, it means I have to have 60 dollars no 20. I am tired with this, so I will use my other cards, that give me less rewards, but I do not have to fight any time for it. For all the cardholders, is better if you calculate your points, is always a problem for me.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

On November 10, we bought a 10 qt stainless steel pot. After first use we realized that after cleaning, bottom of this pot contains a lot of black dots. Today on December 3, I came to this Owings Mills TJ Maxx store to return pot and explain that this pot is defective as it has black spots on stainless steel surface. At register cashier validated my receipt and call manager. Manager of this store Cristina (not sure about correct spelling) said that they can't to resell this pot as it was used. I told her that pot was used and after that we realized of defect. I told her that store should not sell defective merchandise. But she refused to take it back. She was taking back only merchandise which store can resell. And this is explanation from MANAGER??? You don't accept back defective items???

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

I purchased several suitcases online and I noticed a double charge of $553.40 on my credit card. When I checked my email, they had cancelled my order without any explanation. They provided a link to email them back that was inactive.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

BEWARE OF WHAT CAN HAPPEN WHEN TJ MAXX MAKES A MISTAKE! I am completely shocked at the terrible treatment that I experienced today with both TJ Maxx as well as Synchrony Bank (TJ Maxx credit card). I considered myself a Maxxinista for decades, but never again! I placed a large order today, and noticed in my email confirmation that my address was incorrect. I moved, and changed it at the site as well as the credit card. I even verified it before I placed the order. So I immediately called customer service. Not only were they not helpful (to say the least!), but downright rude.

My problem, too bad...if I wanted to make an address change, call UPS, set up an account and cause a re-direct of the package. I said that was crazy - I just placed the order minutes before. NOPE! Not going to help. I asked for a supervisor. Rudely told that no one else would help, I was wasting my time. I said that I would hold. And hold and hold and hold... Finally came back and said that no one was available. No one. So, I said that I would like to cancel the order. "No" I was told: too late. Can't cancel after an order is placed. I said this is crazy! I JUST PLACED THE ORDER MINUTES AGO. Didn't matter. I went on the TJ Maxx site and tried to send a complaint. It bounced back TWICE! (I saved copies of everything).

SO then I called the TJ Maxx credit card company. I said that I wanted to be sure that no charges went through today. The woman that answered said that she did see some charges from a few minutes ago. I said that I wanted to be sure they did not go through. She said that the only way to do that would be to file a complaint, and they have 60 days to respond. "What are you talking about? I do not want this order, I do not want these charges. The order will go to a wrong address and I cannot cancel?" She said, “Yes, that's right.” I said that I would like to cancel the card. She said "no problem, it is cancelled. Anything else I can do for you today?".

This is shockingly unbelievable lack of service. Not counting the fact that I was a perfect credit card customer, and a long time TJ Maxx customer. I have spent thousands of dollars here. SO BEWARE - as long as they do not make any mistakes, everything will be fine. As soon as they DO make a mistake, you are on the hook. They will not help, really don't seem to care, either. NEVER BUY FROM THEM ONLINE - and NEVER get a card from Synchrony Bank-Bunch of crooks.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

I bought 4 items in their store a 9 days ago. They charged me full price. But they sent only one item. And they refund the full price. They charged me only the price of that item. The rest of the order was waiting for shipping. Today, 9 days later, they canceled 2 items. They will ship only 1 item today but they charged me all of 3 items. I called their main customer service number and reported it. The customer service agent that I spoke with was not helpful at all. They charged me the item which will not be shipped to me. Horrible online shopping experience.

TJ Maxx Company Information