1.24/5
Based on 58 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

289 TJ Maxx Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 14, 2018

DO NOT SHOP ON TJ MAXX WEBSITE, RIPOFF! I placed an order on TJ Maxx website on June 13, 2018. I didn't receive an immediate confirmation via e-mail, as I'm accustomed to when placing an order online from any merchant/company. On June 14, 2018, I contacted TJ Maxx customer service, and was advised that their website is currently down, and they cannot even lookup my order (with my order confirmation number), the excuse was they are in the process of updating their system, and maybe they can lookup my order by Monday, June 18, 2018.

After reading the numerous complaints against them it appears that this has been ongoing for a long time. They should have a disclosure on their website that informs the consumer/shopper of the issue. IT IS VERY CLEAR TO ME THEY ARE LYING, BECAUSE THIS HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR MONTHS. If this is the issue they should not be accepting orders online until the problem is fixed. If I don't have a tracking number, or a confirmation on the status of my order by Monday, I shall contact my local ripoff news station and report them!!

AGAIN, if this problem is ongoing why hasn't TJ Maxx fixed the problem months ago?? They sound like a broken record every time you contact them about the status of the order.... "System is down." TJ Maxx, should not be processing and accepting orders online until the problem is fixed and should be disclosed clearer on their website. I will give you an update on June 18, 2018, (Monday) if they were able to resolve the issue and track my order.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I made an online purchase from TJ Maxx. I paid for overnight shipping on May 23, 2018. I have received a tracking number that was issued on May 31 for 2 day shipping. As of June 4 I still have not received my order. TJ Maxx customer service cannot tell me where my order is located just that they have 10 days to actually ship my item. The only reason a label was even generated was because I have been inquiring as to where my item is. They won’t allow you to cancel an order you can only return it. I can’t return something they have. I have contacted them at least five times and I can’t get a straight answer as to what they have done with my order. Very frustrated and very disappointed with this company.

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 2, 2018

Cedar City, Utah location. My wife needed me to join her in the dressing room in order to show me the clothes she was trying on. The associate then told me that I was unable to join my wife. I go to hundreds of dressing rooms and am allowed in the dressing room. This is an insulting policy and I have no idea how they legally enforce that policy other than instructing the associates to judge the gender of individuals entering the changing rooms.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I don’t know about the one star reviews that got me worried about my order, but I was moved to write this review because I had a great experience. I ordered a bunch of different items, I called customer service a couple of time to check on my order because the reviews got me so worried that my order will be delayed, damaged or items will be missing. None of that happened. They were really nice and very helpful. And I received my perfectly packaged items earlier than expected! All items were exactly like expect. Thank you. I hope this review is helpful.

Original review: May 27, 2018

I have placed several online orders with this company. NONE of them have been filled correctly. I was shipped a table without the right number of legs and customer service acted like it was MY fault. They were rude and unhelpful. They need to do a serious overhaul of their online shipping dept. AMAZON is still the standard of online shopping!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TJ Maxx?

Original review: May 18, 2018

I purchased several items which I boxed together and returned. My first return was credited to the wrong purchase. Called in March 2018 and spent 45 minutes explaining over and over what the issue was. I was told the claims were submitted to resolve the issue. Weeks later no update. I then returned six swimsuits using a single shipping label. I received credit for four items less the 9.99 a piece for shipping. Ugh. Called three more times asking were my credits for the other two swimsuits are. Spent 45 minutes each call with no resolution. I was told that we are sending the issues to our fulfillment center and will hear back soon. Nothing. Scheduled two supervisor call backs which were never returned. Still don’t have my $42 each refunds and spent $40 in label costs. What a rip-off. After decades shopping at TJ Maxx I am telling everyone to stay away.

Original review: May 16, 2018

When I received my order there were portions missing. I also received damaged and missing products and was charged for them. I have made several attempts to receive a credit and return my items and TJ Maxx will not allow me to at their expense.

Original review: April 23, 2018

Placed an order with multiple items online. Many times, they ship items separately which is fine. One of the items (which is the one I REALLY wanted), got damaged along the way and the UPS tracking information said that UPS would open a claim for it. It also said the item was discarded. I emailed TJMaxx about this and the response I got was that TJMaxx would open up a claim and wait to receive the return, and THEN refund me. How can you wait to receive the return package, when UPS tracking said they DISCARDED the item?

Also note that if you do NOT have the mailed receipt with the barcode on it when you return an online item, they will only give you store credit. They don't care if you have an email print out of the receipt or your ID. They will not grant an actual return unless you have the physical receipt they sent you. The way this business runs things is extremely outdated. I keep thinking a bunch of technologically inept individuals do it this way because they refuse to learn how to upgrade and get with the times. Once your generation is gone, your business will be too unless you make the effort to progress like other businesses!

Original review: April 19, 2018

Their customer service rep won't cancel an order I just placed because she said "it's out of our hands." Whose hands is it in then? The order hasn't shipped. That is poor customer service, and they just want my money. You treat your customers bad, they won't shop with you, and that's what's going to happen.

Original review: April 15, 2018

Ordered 7 items on 02/04/18. Nothing delivered for 2-3 weeks, so called customer service. Items shown as Not Delivered on site. Said they would put a trace on order and I would be notified within a week as to status. Received a single item from the order on 03/28/18. Online site showed entire order as delivered. Subsequently called and reported sole item was received and was promised a refund. As of 04/15/18, no further information from TJ Maxx and no refund to my account. They owe me approximately $132.00.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I contacted the number on the TJ Maxx website immediately upon receiving my package with damaged contents inside. I had ordered a faux plant with planter. It was wrapped in airless bubble wrap. No clue where the air went. It was a tiny sheet that hardly covered half the item anyways. It's no wonder it arrived in pieces. I sent a photo to the email as part of the requirement to initiate either a replacement or refund. It's the end of day 2 and still no response. I resent the same email two more times this morning. Their customer service is positively horrible. I did my part, but they can't even respond to resolve the issue after 2 full business days? I won't be buying from them online again until I get some answers. Buyers beware.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I have been hearing about poor customer service at TJ Maxx but never believed until it happened to me. My package was sent to an Access point that does not exist but TJ Maxx refused to help me trace it back. I called them several times but to no avail. Finally, the customer service rep. Told me there is nothing they can do about it and I can't get my refund until they have received it back. I requested for supervisor several time but I was told there is none. What kind of retail store don't have a supervisor/manager. Seriously, I am done.

Original review: March 31, 2018

A BIG thank you to the employees (especially Steven) of TJ Maxx store 1222 in Bayonne. Yesterday my iPad was turned into the store where team member, Steven, called me the next day to tell me it was found. Words cannot describe how grateful I am for their honesty and efforts to reach me! I wanted to give a reward as a thank you - money for a pizza party for the employees to enjoy as a token of my gratitude and it would not be accepted. In a world where we hear so many sad and tragic stories of people who make bad choices every day it is inspiring to have an such an uplifting experience with strangers who did not have to do anything. Thank you again, TJ Maxx employees and management!

Original review: March 20, 2018

I ordered a clutch online mid-February. The clutch I received was the wrong one, so I returned it and checked the box on the form that came with it, that I received the wrong item. I returned it several days later. TJ Maxx received the package March 1st. I’m just now receiving a refund today, March 20th, but the refund did not include shipping and handling, which I should have got back since the wrong item was sent to me. I called customer service and they stated that after you get the refund, you have to call back to get your S+H refund. This process is so ridiculous. This has been one of the worst online experiences: from receiving the completely wrong item, to calling several times wondering if they’ve received my order, to when I would get my refund, and having to call again to get my S+H refunded. Never again will order online from TJ Maxx again!

Original review: March 17, 2018

I placed several orders after moving and although I changed the shipping address, my former address was kicked back when I placed my orders. After noticing the incorrect information, I phoned UPS to change the delivery address and was informed only TJ Maxx could do so. I contacted TJ Maxx and they told me only UPS could do so. Sadly, I was caught in the middle with an almost $300 deficit due to mis-delivered merchandise. A rep at TJ Maxx said they would open a claim and it was never initiated and I was never contacted by them. The second order I placed had not even shipped yet and TJ Maxx STILL would not help me. It's their loss because I used to spend quite a bit of money there and have not visited a TJ Maxx, Marshalls, or Home Goods since. They need member than I need them.

Original review: March 16, 2018

I purchased a Valentino bag for $2000 from their website, and I received a fake bag. I called them and asked to refund my money as soon as they get their bag back, but have to wait. This is just ridiculous, they sell fakes for $2000 And then don't want to refund. They keep my money for up to 14 days.

Original review: March 15, 2018

Myself and my mom went TJ MAXX at Towson in Baltimore around 8:15 yesterday night. I love handbags so that's the section I headed for. I came across a bag I really like. It was price high so I needed an associate to unlock the bag. I spotted a male manager that works there. He was helping another female customer. I said to him, "When you get a chance I would like to see this bag please." He said ok. After 5 minutes he came over to where I was standing. He look at the bag price which was $399.99. Original price $670. Anyway he said to me, "Are you buying this bag tonight?" I look at him a little crazy and reply, "I want to see how the bag looks on me first." Then he said, "I’m only asking 'cause layaway is closed for tonight." When I tell you I got a instant lump in my throat. I was like, "Why would you think I needed to do layaway?" He was like, "Just asking."

By this time my mom is upset. Then after all that he finally unlock the bag and hand it to me. I love it. But I couldn’t buy it. Not because of the price. Just that fast I was profile as someone who needed layaway. Don't get me wrong. Layaway is great when you don’t have all the money. That wasn’t my case at all. I gave him back the bag. He was like, "You didn’t like it?" I reply, "No. I love it." Then walk away. He try to direct me to other bags on the clearance rack. But this time I’m heated. Me and my mom walk around and we discuss what just happen. I didn’t make any purchase. I try to call the corporate office. They were closed. I waited for a female associate to finish with her customers at the register. I ask her what was the male manager name. She inform me his name. She look at my face and ask what was wrong. I explain the situation to her not knowing she was a manager as well.

She did indeed apologize to me for that experience. Ask me did I still want the bag? I told her yes but I cant purchase it from this store. This wasn’t a race situation or maybe it was. Myself and the male manager was the same race. It’s a shame that I couldn’t be treated with the same respect as the female customer he was helping before me. He didn’t ask her if she needed layaway before he unlock her two bags. That was the same brand as mine's. And it was two bags. He help her as she was trying to figure out which style she like best. And she didn’t even buy either one of then. But yet she wasn’t the same race as me. I don’t blame her at all. Every customers that walk inside that store should be treated with the same respect as the next one. That never happen to me before in my 47 years on this earth. I hope it never ones again.

Original review: March 7, 2018

I purchased a leather jacket on Jan 29, 2018, the jacket arrived on the 3rd of Feb. I tried on the jacket and decided that I would be returning it because the fit was off, and the jacket was not as described when I viewed it online, so I returned the jacket to UPS for return to the company. I could not return it in store because I purchased it through PayPal, which states that I would only get instore credit if I did so. The jacket was received by TJ Maxx on Feb 14, it takes 10-14 business days to process a return according to their return policy. I called on the March 5, which was the end of their return policy date to see why they had not issued a refund yet, and was told that it was not processed yet because they were behind in processing it.

I called again on March 7, and was told that I would not be getting a refund, because the jacket appeared to have been worn, which is a total lie. The jacket was intact with receipts and tags still attached, the only thing I did was try it on. TJ Maxx, is accusing me of wearing the jacket, when I clearly did not. It was of poor quality, discolored and the sizing was off. I do not like dealing with companies that accuse you of something you did not do. I am unsatisfied and would like my money back for this item. They are very disingenuous, and I would not recommend anyone to be treated this way, or to be accused of something like this. I will no longer shop there.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

On December 28, 2017, I ordered online at TJ Maxx. When I received the order, none of the items in the box were anything I had ordered. I called TJ Maxx who told me to ship the items back (I could not return to the store) and they would refund me for my purchase price. TJ Maxx received the order on January 10, 2018, via the tracking number. It is now the end of February and I have yet to receive a refund for my order!! I've called customer service MANY times, each time the individual informing me that they have escalated it and it will take 3-5 business days to receive my refund.

On my latest phone call, they informed me that it takes 14 business days after an issue has been escalated until it resolved. She told me I needed to wait until March 2 until I called again if I didn't have my refund by then. There is absolutely no reason for a refund to take two months. I will keep calling and fighting with the company until I receive my refund, but I am disgusted with the company and will NEVER be ordering anything online ever again.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

If I can give them -5 stars I would! I ordered chairs. They were delayed in coming in. When I called, they said they would sent a gift card in the mail... never got it! Called again and they said they would sent me 20% next order because the chairs were damaged... never got it! And called, spent an hour on the phone with them... and all they would offer me is 10% off. Are you kidding me! Terrible customer service! They don’t care about losing customers AT ALL!!! Don’t waste your time buying from them! Very very very bad! Very bad!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

TJ MAXX has the worst online shopping experience and terrible customer service. I ordered a kitchen mixer (KitchenAid 6 quart Mixer) online on 1/21/18 at a clearance price. Late on the 25th I received a cancellation email stating item was unavailable. I searched the website and found the same exact item for more money. I contacted customer service who showed absolutely no interest in adjusting the price for a new order of the SAME item which was supposed to be UNAVAILABLE. I then called the corporate office in Massachusetts and spoke to a high level employee who also had NO interest or understanding of their error and said there was nothing she could do. Their business practices border on fraud or bait and switch.

TJ Maxx doesn't care about their customers. They operate their business with no concern for the consumer and their customer service staff are extremely rude. I will no longer shop at TJ Maxx, Marshalls or HomeGoods. I have never experienced such poor customer service with any other retailer. Please show with people like AMAZON, they will continue to have my business and my money from now on!!!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

I should've listened at the very beginning! If you could please shop at other store PLEASE do that if you don't wanna stress out about how awful they treat their customers. First time I did this was I had waited a long time for my orders and ended up getting cancelled. Now my second time (hoping it'd be different this time) they did the same thing! I had place 6 items. It took them 6 days to finally shipped it, and this time there's only 5 out of 6 being shipped! Contacted the store multiple times regarding my order but left with only an automated reply saying customer service representative will respond shortly. I waited LONGGG hours but no reply! Terrible! I'm pissed, mad, angry, disappointed!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

I ordered a pair of sunglasses online 0n 1/13/18 at a clearance price. On the 22nd I received a cancellation email stating item was unavailable. I searched the website and found the same exact pair under a different style # and for double the clearance price. I contacted customer service who showed absolutely no interest in adjusting the price for a new order of the SAME item which was supposed to be UNAVAILABLE. I then called the corporate office in Framingham and spoke to a high level employee who also had NO interest or understanding of their error and said there was nothing she could do.

TJ Maxx doesn't care about their customers. They operate their business with greed and little concern for the customer. They are only interested in filling the Ceo and upper management's pockets and meeting their sales to ensure big fat hefty bonuses.I am closing my platinum MasterCard account and will no longer shop at TJ Maxx, Marshalls or Home Goods. I have never experienced such poor customer service with any other retailer. AMAZON, you have my business and my money from now on!!!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

While shopping in TJ Maxx I found a sweater that I really liked, so I decided that I would buy two of them so that when the first one started looking bad I'd have a backup (that's how much I liked it). I looked through all the racks and could not find another one, I asked one of the sales associates on the sales floor and she said "all of our merchandise is out", and walked away. So I purchased the sweater (along with about 5 other shirts) and went home. Not thinking I took all the tags off and threw them away, then a few days later I decided that I would try contacting the TJ Maxx corporate office to see if they could help me find more sweaters. I took a photograph of the sweater, a close of photo of the tag in the neck, and a photo of my receipt. I called TJ Maxx and they said that they cannot help me. They told me to go back to my TJ Maxx and look through the racks.

I assured them that I had already done this and I said that surely this sweater exists at some of the other TJ Maxx stores, if I could email the photo to various stores they could look and see if they have it. He said that they do not have email addresses. I said, well, they do have email addresses but they just don't care enough about customer service to allow a customer to email them. Oh well, a lost sale for them. The fitting room attendant was very rude too, as if she held the key to the Emerald City and I should bow down to her and kiss her feet just to enter. Such a shame, they have cute things, if they would put some effort into good customer service they could be a really great store. I don't go there very often as a result.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

They clearly posted special return policy for the Holidays. I brought back a shirt and pair of jeans that were given to me as a gift. The tags were still attached with price and stock number. I asked for a store credit per the posted return policy. I was told that the Cupertino, CA store does not honor that policy. I asked why they had the sign posted at their front door and I got a blank stare. I requested a manager and Salma, the manager, pointed out the line on their regular return policy sign that states "exceptions apply" and said that covered them. The special holiday sign says no such thing. I suggested that they take the sign down if they have no intention of honoring it. Again, I got a blank stare. I canceled my TJ Maxx platinum Mastercard and will not be shopping there anymore.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

This is my experience from TJ Maxx in Cerritos CA. If you make return without a receipt. The store will not give you a full refund nor credit for the price you pay. Example item $14.99. Refund will be $9.99 without receipt. Almost 35% they take from customer. Without receipt they will give you the lowest ticket price. This policy need to be stated on their return policy book. When I call Corporate. They tell me, "As long as you have the tag you should get the amount that you paid." I know this TJ Maxx is not following corporate policy. Poor management. I got my full refund after having Corporate call the store. Very Inconvenient.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

Just before Thanksgiving I decided to start Christmas shopping, and ordered a cashmere robe for my future Daughter in law. And I mean just newly engaged son and future daughter in law. Upon seeing this robe I believed it could be a great gift for her. Personal, but beautiful and I know how much she loves robes. First off it took more than 2 weeks to receive, and when received it was a grey cashmere sweater versus the robe. I called and said I needed to return the item, and went to UPS to drop it off the next day. It was received November 30th. Weeks after they received the package back I called to find out when the return was being taken care of since it did not post to my account. They said 10-14 business days for the return to be processed. I then called again after 2-1/2 weeks. And then again and then again on December 27th in which customer service said they would make sure it was elevated to immediate (meaning 2 more days at least).

Then I called on January 4th and still nothing showing for the return. Understand I paid for this via PayPal and under the TJ Maxx return policy they will only give you a credit if you pay with PayPal and you return it to the store via shipping it back (I wish they posted that information ahead of time...), so I shipped it back.

Since the last call I decided to immediately contact PayPal, and now they are contacting TJ Maxx and will make sure the refund of $104 will be credited to me.

Every other company and online experience I dealt with while shopping and using PayPal gave me no problem with returns if needed, except this one. All I can say is this company is not REPUTABLE and when you want to make a return, they make it very difficult and you CANNOT!!! Never will I shop here again... and I mean never!!! The stores lately are very shabby and they do not have the product they did in the past... Extremely disappointing how they do not care for their customers.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

I purchased 4 items at TJ Maxx in Clairemont and decided to return two of them a few days later, a shirt and a jacket. The shirt didn't fit well. I wore it for a 1/2 day at work before discovering that and actually went home to change during my lunch. The jacket never left the backseat of my car because I noticed that it was a dirt magnet, anything it came in contact with seemed to find a new home there, and I could tell wearing out would be a struggle to look put together. I had the original receipts, and the tags (though they had been removed from the shirt) and was still denied return by the store manager, Denny. His reason being that the collar of the shirt indicated that it had been worn, and the jacket was dirty. Well, yes. TJ Maxx return policy says tags must remain on undergarments and they are to be returned clean. Nothing about a button up shirt or a jacket screams underwear to me.

Going back and forth with this older gay man became embarrassing when his voice raised to the point where the people standing 15 feet behind me waiting their turn became uncomfortable. Something about me either rubbed him the wrong way or he is like this to everyone. Either way, totally unacceptable. Does anybody want a poorly stitched shirt or a jacket made out of lint roller sheets? I happen to have some... and I am not happy about it.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I went to TJ Maxx to purchase a "smart watch" for my husband for Xmas. The girl at the Jewelry counter, told me it was a smart watch and the functionality was what I wanted. So, I purchased it for 129.99. Christmas Day I gave it to my husband, and he looked at the book only to find out, the only function it had was "steps." No Phone notification, no photo taking. We decided to bring it back to the store within 7 days after Christmas, only to have the store inform us they would not accept it because the price ticket was NOT on the item. I explained it was a GIFT and you remove the price, if it is a gift... First it was misrepresented, then I can't get what I wanted... NEVER SHOP TJ MAXX!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

I was returning items I had bought 2 days before. The lady ringing them up did not know if she could return a smart watch I had bought, so she got the manager. The manager said they don't return those. I asked where it said that at? And if I could talk to her manager. She then decided to let me return it, but first went thru the product piece by piece accusing me of every little thing and changing her mind back and forth if she would return it. There was a huge line, and she kept talking to me like I was 4 years old. Purposely being very slow and trying her hardest to humiliate me. I again ask for the name of her manager and she refused to give it to me. I asked for a pen and they refused to let me use one. They wouldn’t even let me sign the receipt that I was suppose to sign and then shorted me $5!!! I have never reported a complaint or reviewed a store until now. I will never shop there again until the two of them are gone.

TJ Maxx Company Information