1.43/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

332 TJ Maxx Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I visited the store today in Alpharetta, Ga to return jewelry I purchased from this location a week ago. As I approached the counter the key holder was assisting someone else at the moment with a purchase which took about 5 minutes. Once she was finished she never acknowledged me. She walked off and then turned around as if she didn’t see me standing at the counter for the past 5 minutes while she completed a purchase and held a conversation with the customer. She did not greet me as I have normally been greeted in TJ Maxx which is disappointing and her actions was disgusting. She then went on to complete my return and when it was time to give me back my money she placed it on the counter which is beyond rude.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

Illegal taxes on merchandise, broken merchandise, irresponsible customer service - all are with a red flag. One example out of numerous: I ordered two plaques for the wall. One plaque arrives. The price is 99.99 and the tax is $17. The tax in New York is under 9%. Then another huge box arrives with the item I even did not see on Internet. The price again is 99.99 plus tax $17. To handle this huge box in order to send it back was an experience in itself. The refund was 108.85. I already know that to call customer service is a sheer waste of time. Now every dish or small bowl with excessive tax is diligently returned into the store. The shop person's jaw drops, she calls for the manager. Good news - they return illegal tax manually. I just wonder if there is any organization to protect from the fraud?

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

I ordered nearly my Christmas shopping for my kids and grandkids one week ago. I have still knock on the confirmation on the order. There's no tracking number. When I call customer service they keep telling me I should get it by Christmas Eve. No one will follow up in the order. They cannot expedite to order. They cannot cancel the order. They cannot assure me that it's just going to ship today or tomorrow. Basically I'm at a loss to be able to get these gifts on time. I don't know if I'm going to have to try another retailer and pay for express shipping to get some gifts here by Christmas Eve. I just need someone from TJ Maxx to help me and that is not happening.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

I bought a rug in the Reno TJ Maxx. The rug was shedding all over the place and after two weeks I brought it with a check and asked to return it. The manager said that it was used even though it was in the same shape, they didn't give me a refund. It is a total violation of rights because I was not satisfied with the product and they refused to give me back my money.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

I WILL NEVER SHOP AT THIS PLACE AGAIN??? ROSEVILLE MICHIGAN STORE! They kept all my money for being 10 days late. I put $200.00 worth of merchandise in their layaway. I paid $160 and was in there today to pick it up and they told me that the due date was 2nd which is understandable. I would have even understood them taking a restock fee fine. But they took the whole entire 160 and said since I was late picking up my merchandise there was nothing I can do. Keep in mind the items I purchased was about $200. I paid 160. Came in to pick it up and they kept all of my money???

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TJ Maxx?

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

While shopping at TJ Maxx Brickyard on a very busy day, the cashier Judy provided exceptional service as she was very friendly professional and also helpful. She seemed to really know her business and her friendly attitude really made my day! I will definitely be back and look forward to seeing Judy again.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I ordered a canvas painting online and was sent the wrong one, and when I tried to return it there was no return label or shipping invoice. They said they would charge me for shipping if there's no invoice, which is ridiculous, since THEY sent me the wrong item. ** customer service and online ordering system. You pay for what you get!

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

Helped at register by cashier Alyssa **. This cashier was very helpful. She gave me a positive shopping experience, was very polite, and worked fast. This person was knowledgeable about policies and procedures. Return was made on 12/10/18 at 8:53:35. Survey number **.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I ordered a product on December 1st 2018. I received the standard confirmation email and the usual pending charge to my account. Six days go by and it's still the same. No shipment email - nothing from the company at all. December 7 I notice the charge is completely missing from my account. No longer pending, not at all charged. I check my emails - nothing. I check to site and the product is still there. My order is completely MIA and the company cannot explain why or how. It should've been shipped days ago. This is the holiday season and the product I ordered isn't available online easily. It was a steal and an awesome find. Now it's no longer going to be the Christmas gift I envisioned and paid for. No response from company. It's ridiculous to sit that long and then just completely disappear without a word especially during the holiday season.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I place an order for $178.00 on Nov. 14. I received an order Nov 26. Unfortunately, this was not MY order. My order was sent to someone in another state while I received hers. When I called customer service I was told that I would need to send what I was sent back to them and they will process my refund. This refund will take 10-14 days for them to process and my bank another 3-5 days to post, on top of the 2 weeks it takes for them to receive the shipment back from me. Customer service said that was all they could do since the package isn't considered lost. Now I am out the money and the gifts meant for my children for Christmas. I will NEVER waste my money and energy at TJ Maxx. I feel like they stole from me.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I am really disappointment with the people who calculate the rewards-coupons. I always check my rewards and I had so many problems with it, now it has to be 60 dollar coupon and they are calculating 20 dollars. The difference in between my purchased and credits is 1,286 dollars, it means I have to have 60 dollars no 20. I am tired with this, so I will use my other cards, that give me less rewards, but I do not have to fight any time for it. For all the cardholders, is better if you calculate your points, is always a problem for me.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

On November 10, we bought a 10 qt stainless steel pot. After first use we realized that after cleaning, bottom of this pot contains a lot of black dots. Today on December 3, I came to this Owings Mills TJ Maxx store to return pot and explain that this pot is defective as it has black spots on stainless steel surface. At register cashier validated my receipt and call manager. Manager of this store Cristina (not sure about correct spelling) said that they can't to resell this pot as it was used. I told her that pot was used and after that we realized of defect. I told her that store should not sell defective merchandise. But she refused to take it back. She was taking back only merchandise which store can resell. And this is explanation from MANAGER??? You don't accept back defective items???

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

I purchased several suitcases online and I noticed a double charge of $553.40 on my credit card. When I checked my email, they had cancelled my order without any explanation. They provided a link to email them back that was inactive.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

BEWARE OF WHAT CAN HAPPEN WHEN TJ MAXX MAKES A MISTAKE! I am completely shocked at the terrible treatment that I experienced today with both TJ Maxx as well as Synchrony Bank (TJ Maxx credit card). I considered myself a Maxxinista for decades, but never again! I placed a large order today, and noticed in my email confirmation that my address was incorrect. I moved, and changed it at the site as well as the credit card. I even verified it before I placed the order. So I immediately called customer service. Not only were they not helpful (to say the least!), but downright rude.

My problem, too bad...if I wanted to make an address change, call UPS, set up an account and cause a re-direct of the package. I said that was crazy - I just placed the order minutes before. NOPE! Not going to help. I asked for a supervisor. Rudely told that no one else would help, I was wasting my time. I said that I would hold. And hold and hold and hold... Finally came back and said that no one was available. No one. So, I said that I would like to cancel the order. "No" I was told: too late. Can't cancel after an order is placed. I said this is crazy! I JUST PLACED THE ORDER MINUTES AGO. Didn't matter. I went on the TJ Maxx site and tried to send a complaint. It bounced back TWICE! (I saved copies of everything).

SO then I called the TJ Maxx credit card company. I said that I wanted to be sure that no charges went through today. The woman that answered said that she did see some charges from a few minutes ago. I said that I wanted to be sure they did not go through. She said that the only way to do that would be to file a complaint, and they have 60 days to respond. "What are you talking about? I do not want this order, I do not want these charges. The order will go to a wrong address and I cannot cancel?" She said, “Yes, that's right.” I said that I would like to cancel the card. She said "no problem, it is cancelled. Anything else I can do for you today?".

This is shockingly unbelievable lack of service. Not counting the fact that I was a perfect credit card customer, and a long time TJ Maxx customer. I have spent thousands of dollars here. SO BEWARE - as long as they do not make any mistakes, everything will be fine. As soon as they DO make a mistake, you are on the hook. They will not help, really don't seem to care, either. NEVER BUY FROM THEM ONLINE - and NEVER get a card from Synchrony Bank-Bunch of crooks.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

I bought 4 items in their store a 9 days ago. They charged me full price. But they sent only one item. And they refund the full price. They charged me only the price of that item. The rest of the order was waiting for shipping. Today, 9 days later, they canceled 2 items. They will ship only 1 item today but they charged me all of 3 items. I called their main customer service number and reported it. The customer service agent that I spoke with was not helpful at all. They charged me the item which will not be shipped to me. Horrible online shopping experience.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I am reviewing TJ Maxx Montgomery Alabama. I bought some items in their store a week ago Thursday. They double charged me. I called their main customer service number and reported it. The customer service agent that I spoke with told me that it would be reviewed and she would get back to me with an answer. She called me back the next day and told me that I was correct in that they would be refunding my money. 5 days later I still have not received a credit for their screw up.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

TJ Maxx, Poughkeepsie, NY. Terrible customer service. I went to return and item that was addressed from TJ Maxx corporate, so when I went to the store to have returned the item the store, employee that said her name was Kristal young blonde with glasses, approached me with a very arrogant attitude and insulted me in front of other customers and employees. Not going back to that store. TJ Maxx should not hire people like her!!!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

This location I believe has the worst of the worst customer service. So I find a product and I give it to one of the employees at the register to hold it for me as I wanted to carry on with shopping and could not carry the customer paint with me given the dimensions. She takes it and reassures me it will be there for me once I’m done. I do my shopping and go to ask for the paint I’ve chosen and guess what, it’s been sold.

It took me a while to go find the person that I gave the paint to. She starts looking for it as well until one of the managers stops and tells us they just sold it. Horrible people, not approachable, zero sympathy. I just felt like throwing up from all these feelings surrounding me and these people with a blank stare not even caring or apologizing. Plus there’s always big lines on this TJ Maxx/home goods store as they only leave a couple of young girls at the register and the rest just wanders around with no purpose. Never never going there again.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I purchased several shirts for an important interview and took them home to try on with my suit. I was in a rush, so I didn't try things on in the store. I figured I'd find the right shirt with my suit and return the rest. Just kidding though! I went back to the store within 30 days with my receipt and they would refund me for an $80 shirt that I never even wore because it was missing some kind of tag inside the shirt. The security tag was still on it. Additionally, when I got home, the paper price tag had fallen off into the bag. A damn paper price tag tied in with string fell off the garment and they say they can't refund it because of that.

So they sold me a shirt with a missing tag inside and say they can't return it because it's missing a tag and they can't sell it like that. Well, they did sell it like that. To me. And now I'm paying the price for it. I will never, ever buy one thing from TJ Maxx ever again and I will be telling all of the people I can not to shop there as well. This was their fault and now I'm paying the price for it. They sold me the shirt without the darn tag on it in the first place!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

On October 29th 1:39 pm the day manager at the Encinitas Store was rude, would not give me his supervisors name and did not give me the customer service phone number when asked. He had the nerve to hang up on me. After owning my own customer service business for 33 years, I believe this day manager should be put on suspension. Customer service is exactly as it says, customer service. TJ Maxx should be responsible for managers verbal abuse. I have been a happy customer for 15 years... What products I have purchased in the last 30 days will be returned today.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I had to purchase several items of clothing for upcoming trip and went to the fitting room to try on the clothes. Fitting room assistant, whose name was Mazol, was very polite, knowledgeable and helpful in locating the right sizes for me and making my shopping experience pleasant and enjoyable. I bought several items and at checkout I got Mazol as my cashier again and she was very quick, efficient, and most pleasant cashier I have met in a long time. I am so grateful for her personal touch and help with my purchases. I wish more customer service assistants and cashiers were more like Mazol.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I ordered a $70 dog bed and was sent a kid's pillow that sells for $13 on their site. Of course they charged my credit card the $70. Now they will not do anything to fix THEIR screw up. "I" have to send back incorrect item, "I" have to wait for a refund which will be 5-8 days after they get wrong item back and "I" have to reorder the dog bed again. Great job TJMaxx on losing another customer!!!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

Do not get a TJ Maxx credit card. To start off I love shopping at TJ Maxx, so, I decided to get a credit card there. Big mistake. My first bill came it was around $90 so I went ahead and paid it off. Sent a check with the statement in the mail. I get a statement the next month with a late fee, so I check my bank statement thinking something went wrong and nope, it's showing that TJ Maxx took the $90 out. I then call TJ Maxx customer service to let them know they did something wrong on their part.

The women tells me to send the bank statement to them via fax so I do, a week later I can't use the credit care because they have it flagged as being overdue a payment (which is wasn't) then they have the collections department calling me for my payment. I've now talked to customer service three times now regarding the issue and they are completely useless. They can't tell me anything except it takes 30 days to go through and each person I talk to acts like I'm mistaken and I haven't paid the bill. They are like robots. This whole experience has been one pain after the other and I've used the card once. This is just a warning to not bother getting a credit card with them.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

Yesterday I had the worst customer service experience ever. The location is at 171 W 230th street Bronx, NY 10463. The cashier I encountered yesterday thought it was okay to be extremely rude and not helpful. I initially informed her that I was doing two returns and purchasing more items so it could either be an exchange or a return. I did let her know that I did not have my receipt. While I was waiting for her to start the order she decided to stare at me for 2 minutes after which she started yelling at me, asking where the receipt was. I responded by letting her know that I had already informed her that I did not have the receipt but to let me check in my wallet for it. When I did not find it I let the cashier know and I told her that I would like to do an exchange.

She then started berating me, saying that it can't be an even exchange because I'm not getting the same items, to which I replied to her that I was fully aware of that. She continued on and on, so I just kept waiting for her to finish. She then took my ID and walked away, all the way to the other side of the floor. I looked at what she was doing since she took my ID with her. When she came back she told me I wasn't supposed to be looking at her at which point I reminded her that she took my ID so I wanted to see where she was taking it.

By this time I was close to canceling the entire purchase. After she rung me out she insisted in keeping my TJ Maxx gift card. I asked her for it back to which she said that it didn't have any money left on it. I told her that I still wanted it since it is my gift card. Her behavior was completely appalling. She then threw the card in front of me on the counter. The whole interaction with her was a very awful experience, when all I wanted to do was pay for my items and go home instead of being berated and treated very rudely by this horrible cashier.

Before I left I asked her for a second large sized shopping bag for my purchase which was sticking out of the bag that she packed. Instead of giving me another bag she asked another cashier to get it for me. The other cashier brought a small bag since she wasn't aware that I needed a big one. I asked her for a bigger one which she gave me without hesitation. It was the worst customer service I've ever experienced. I felt like I was being bullied by this cashier, from the yelling to the throwing of my gift card and trying to reprimand me when I was concerned that she walked away with my ID. I did not see her name but I'm including a copy of both my receipts. I hope this cashier gets proper training because her behavior was appalling and lacked any kind of decent customer service.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

Very rude lady who is the name Sherilvin, or something like that. I always shopping from this center, and I pay money at least 50$ Each time. But this was the last time. I am sorry, she is a really rude and selfish lady. She is not fine as a customer service.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

In the past two months I have received two broken items - all due to cheap packaging by TJ Maxx. In each case I've sent pictures, had to deal with UPS coming to the house because TJ Maxx tries each time to blame UPS. I accepted a replacement for a ceramic pitcher and that one arrived in even more pieces. To be clear, there was not one dent in the outside box. The individual packaging for the pitcher amounted to one thin small piece of bubble wrap. For the 3rd time, I have been told I have to start the process from the beginning. I have spent hundreds of dollars lately with them, and even a supervisor cannot authorize just refunding me $10. It's TJ Maxx's policy to require pictures and a UPS claim for every item is all they would say.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I'm a bit disappointed as I'm an avid Credit watcher to keep my points "on point". I opened a card at the store and was given a $1400 limit. When I received my card, I had the number listed on the paperwork but called to activate and said it was $1200. I was ok with that after they told me they had the right to change it during the process prior to sending it to me. I immediately set up and online account with them and did an auto draft payment set up. Being I did it over a month prior to the due date, I should be fine right. So they never drafted the money and I instantly got a late fee. I called them to pay the balance off and they refunded the late fee due to the online setup. NOW... here's where I'm mad.

My limit is now under $250... WTH. Why? They told me for a list of reasons, that my credit history had lack of payments on time, and all this other nonsense. My credit has been a borderline 700 on Credit Karma with a perfect payment history rate because I PAY EVERYTHING ON TIME AND MORE THAN WHATS DUE. My credit to debt ratio is only at 15%... that's less than the suggested 30%. I have no boo boos on my credit. I have lined up to $25,000 and as low at $1500... Where in the world to they immediately reduce my limit to under $250. I filed a dispute with them and with transition as their reasoning. Customer service was terrible and they offered no confirmation number or documentation of my dispute and said they didn't have the capability of giving me this information. If they don't raise it back up or give me an explanation, I'm closing my account. They make my credit look bad.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

Ordered a pair of Merrell shoes online at TJ Maxx. Credit card was charged immediately but several days later when checking the order status I found that the order was cancelled. I was told that the size was not in stock, even though I could again go online and put that same shoe and sizing my cart! I was also told my credit card refund would be processed in 5-8 business days! They are quick to charge you for something they don’t have but slow to refund. I definitely will not buy from them again online.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

Dealing with TJ Maxx's online site is extremely different than shopping at most of their stores. Orders NEVER ship as advertised and if you dare call to question the delay, employees are rude and unhelpful. If you think you will speak with a supervisor, think again. They never are available and you are told they will call in 24 to 48 hours. I have never received a call back as requested. They are consistent with their orders--ALWAYS a problem; never ships when they said, never ships at all, and if it arrives damaged, they expect customer to do all the work. They ask for an email with a photo of damaged goods but said they will take 3-5 days to look it over and THEN decide what they what YOU to do.

Their online site has no email address for customer to use (gee, that would be too easy). I want YOU to correct your mistakes. I want a supervisor to be immediately available when there is a problem. I want an immediate credit--after all, you have my money before I even received your damaged products. They should close the TJ Maxx online site. I understand that that branch of the parent company is not doing well--not because of the stores. Perhaps the supervisors at Sierra Trading should train the incompetent supervisors at TJ Maxx online.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I was so excited to find the TJ Maxx website. Found some jewelry and a candle which I decided to purchase. I got the candle after about 3 weeks and never received the Jewelry. Tracking number said it would be delivered in multiple shipments. Attempted to contact customer service many times but was unsuccessful.

TJ Maxx needs to improve their online shopping service or just get out of the online business. I would not purchase online again. Should of read the reviews first as this seems to be the case with other shoppers.

TJ Maxx Company Information