1.41/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

336 TJ Maxx Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I'm a bit disappointed as I'm an avid Credit watcher to keep my points "on point". I opened a card at the store and was given a $1400 limit. When I received my card, I had the number listed on the paperwork but called to activate and said it was $1200. I was ok with that after they told me they had the right to change it during the process prior to sending it to me. I immediately set up and online account with them and did an auto draft payment set up. Being I did it over a month prior to the due date, I should be fine right. So they never drafted the money and I instantly got a late fee. I called them to pay the balance off and they refunded the late fee due to the online setup. NOW... here's where I'm mad.

My limit is now under $250... WTH. Why? They told me for a list of reasons, that my credit history had lack of payments on time, and all this other nonsense. My credit has been a borderline 700 on Credit Karma with a perfect payment history rate because I PAY EVERYTHING ON TIME AND MORE THAN WHATS DUE. My credit to debt ratio is only at 15%... that's less than the suggested 30%. I have no boo boos on my credit. I have lined up to $25,000 and as low at $1500... Where in the world to they immediately reduce my limit to under $250. I filed a dispute with them and with transition as their reasoning. Customer service was terrible and they offered no confirmation number or documentation of my dispute and said they didn't have the capability of giving me this information. If they don't raise it back up or give me an explanation, I'm closing my account. They make my credit look bad.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

Ordered a pair of Merrell shoes online at TJ Maxx. Credit card was charged immediately but several days later when checking the order status I found that the order was cancelled. I was told that the size was not in stock, even though I could again go online and put that same shoe and sizing my cart! I was also told my credit card refund would be processed in 5-8 business days! They are quick to charge you for something they don’t have but slow to refund. I definitely will not buy from them again online.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

Dealing with TJ Maxx's online site is extremely different than shopping at most of their stores. Orders NEVER ship as advertised and if you dare call to question the delay, employees are rude and unhelpful. If you think you will speak with a supervisor, think again. They never are available and you are told they will call in 24 to 48 hours. I have never received a call back as requested. They are consistent with their orders--ALWAYS a problem; never ships when they said, never ships at all, and if it arrives damaged, they expect customer to do all the work. They ask for an email with a photo of damaged goods but said they will take 3-5 days to look it over and THEN decide what they what YOU to do.

Their online site has no email address for customer to use (gee, that would be too easy). I want YOU to correct your mistakes. I want a supervisor to be immediately available when there is a problem. I want an immediate credit--after all, you have my money before I even received your damaged products. They should close the TJ Maxx online site. I understand that that branch of the parent company is not doing well--not because of the stores. Perhaps the supervisors at Sierra Trading should train the incompetent supervisors at TJ Maxx online.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I was so excited to find the TJ Maxx website. Found some jewelry and a candle which I decided to purchase. I got the candle after about 3 weeks and never received the Jewelry. Tracking number said it would be delivered in multiple shipments. Attempted to contact customer service many times but was unsuccessful.

TJ Maxx needs to improve their online shopping service or just get out of the online business. I would not purchase online again. Should of read the reviews first as this seems to be the case with other shoppers.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

On September 13th I ordered 2 dressy outfits for a wedding on the 29th. Checked order status online on the 20th after not receiving a tracking number for shipment. My order just got processed on the 20th! Another 5-10 days expected for shipping. The website indicated that everything was available in stock on the 13th. How in the world does it take over 1 week just to process??! Now I'm going to have to go shopping for an outfit at the store because my order likely won't arrive in time and if the items do arrive in time but don't look good I'd be SOL! I've never experienced such a delay before with no indication on the website of prolonged processing time. Even Target online, which can be slow, only takes 2 days to process. Never ordering from TJ Maxx online again! Wish I had seen these reviews before! Now will have to waste time returning items after they arrive. What a terrible waste of my time all around! Totally disappointed.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TJ Maxx?

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I ordered a comforter online from TJ Maxx and paid using PayPal. The comforter arrived extremely wrinkled and did not appear as shown online. I tried to return it at the TJ Maxx store in Bensalem two days after receiving it by mail with receipt in hand and was told I could only get a store credit because I paid with PayPal. Racheal (Assistant Manager) would not provide the name of her District Manager/Regional Manager and smiled throughout the encounter, which was infuriating. I felt as though I had been robbed.

TJ Maxx took my money and would not refund it after only 2 days and with receipt. I called PayPal and their rep. advised they will ask TJ Maxx to refund the money but if the store doesn't agree to the refund, it will be taken back from them regardless. I'm anxious to see the outcome. I would not have purchased the item if I had to enter my credit info. on TJ Maxx's website vs using PayPal. The TJX company received cash for the sale and should have refunded the money to be fair and reputable.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I placed an order online 2 weeks ago. After seeing they were pretty slow to ship my order, I looked at their reviews and got extremely concerned. Today, all of my items arrived and they're undamaged. I likely will stick to shopping in their stores, as I'm hesitant to shop online again given the other reviews. If you are looking at the reviews after you've already placed an order like I did, I would try not to panic, as you may not have any issues.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

STAY AWAY! I ordered 400.00 worth of merchandise over a week ago. I have had an awful experience. I log into my account, and it says that I have no order history. I attempt to contact TJ Maxx customer service department and they are no help. They just say that they are slow in getting things out. I have written several emails asking why I have no order history, and why my items have not shown that they are shipping. No one has responded. I will be contacting BBB. As of now, I have no "order history" in my account, and my items are not on the way but they have taken my money. I have tried over and over to contact TJ Maxx. Read the reviews before you order. I read the same thing over and over. I would do your homework. I wish I did!!!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

I placed my Order totaling $153 and some change on August 9, 2018. On August 15 I called to ask where was my order. They said it’s still processing. On August 17 I called again. They said it’s still processing. I told the lady to cancel the order. She said, "no, I cannot cancel your order." I asked why and she replied, "It’s TJ Maxx policy that we do not cancel any order." I reminded her that it had not shipped and should have arrived by now. I told her that I was going to call my credit card company and cancel. I immediately called my credit card company and explained the situation. They said that TJ Maxx had just put a temporary claim on my account that day for the amount I had purchased and to call back in 3 days. I got busy and didn’t call back.

On August 22, I went outside and found a box on my front porch from TJ Maxx. The label said 1 of 3. Yes, I stupidly opened the box and there was a liquid in the box that had spilled out. It was liquid soap from a pump bottle that had been opened and used and placed in a plastic bag. Next, I opened a small box containing a facial roller. It was broken in the box. The rest of the items appeared ok. However, that was only a partial order. I had ordered some underwear for my grandson who was visiting on the day the box arrived so I decided to keep the rest of the junk and never order from TJ Maxx again. They could have said the items were out of stock instead of sending me junk laying around their warehouse.

I’m still waiting for the remainder of my order and then I will cancel my email subscription and NEVER ORDER FROM THEM AGAIN. I will continue to shop in the store because I like the store and I can pick and choose my merchandise. TJ Maxx is not ready for the online market. Customer service was horrible. When I asked to speak to a supervisor the woman on the phone said her supervisor said she was too busy to talk to me on the phone. This is the truth.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

I have made a few online purchases from TJ Maxx. I love my local retail store, but when it comes to purchasing online their customer service is HORRIBLE. At first, I thought it may just be a fluke, but after 3 times of the exact same service I will no longer purchase anything online from them again. I never receive an order confirmation. After 2 weeks, I received a shipping confirmation, but no valid tracking number when I click it. Nor is there any updates on the items NOT shipped yet. Keep in mind this is 2 weeks after ordering. I still haven't received my order 2 weeks later, and have no idea where the items are that still aren't shipped. This is definitely my last purchase from them!! Terrible online store!!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

Item I bought was defective (plastic cracked) but covered by price tag. That mean store employee knew about the defect. I lost the receipt so I printed my Amex charge and asked for return but I was rejected. Then I asked for store credit and was rejected also. I was told that CC statement is not document. I disputed this charge. The amount of money was really small but the way they handle it was nasty and not professional. I see a lot of defective merchandise on the shelves and racks, perfumes and face creams are being open and used. Not the way to run decent business, not American way.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I placed an order for a coverlet and sheet set through TJMaxx.com. I changed my billing address to my new home but not my shipping address. TJ Maxx does not have 24hr customer service and I could not divert the order online. I reached TJ Maxx at 9 a. m. when they opened and was told I was out of luck, it was my fault and that's that. I asked for a supervisor and none was available. Mind you the order was placed at 5 a.m. and customer service opens at 9 a.m. but apparently supervisors don't come in at 9. Lousy attitude from Customer service rep.

To add insult to injury, no email regarding shipping was ever sent. I called them again after five days only to find that the order had not shipped out. Really? And you couldn't change the shipping address within those five days? Knuckleheads. I did receive an email informing me that the coverlet was out of stock but they would be sending the sheets. The sheets have still not arrived. Once they do, they will be returned and the TJ Maxx credit card that I have made thousands of dollars in purchases on, will be cancelled. The idiots in customer service lost Synchronicity Bank, TJ Maxx and its affiliates a good customer. No wonder Amazon is doing billions in sales and Wayfair, a direct competitor to Home Goods runs rings around TJ Maxx. How about learning how a real business operates guys!

Original review: July 30, 2018

They have great items on their site. However, be prepared to wait for your order to take a long time. It will take three weeks for my order to arrive. I had this happen with previous orders but thought maybe the issue has been corrected...nope! If you call their customer service number they do not want to hear it and could care less.

Original review: July 10, 2018

I purchased 3 leather bags, all made in Italy. 149.00, 249.00 and 179.00. ALl on the same order. I received the 179.00 one by itself; the other 2 were to follow. I got a box a week later and the one for 249.00 was in there - however the other one wasn't. I called the next day as I work and they were closed when I received the box. I took back the one for 249.00 as it was way too big and bulky. After finally getting someone on the phone I was told they would send me one in 2-3 days as they still have them online. They asked if the box was damaged (it wasn't. It said 5 LBS and that was the weight of the bag and the box NOT 2. Total screw ups after this: I get an email stating they started an investigation. Good. They need to check their warehouse and cameras to see it was NOT packed in my box.

10 days later I get a rude notice from UPS; they want the damaged box and items that came (I already explained I took back the one to the store). I DID keep the box. I had a funny feeling that I would need too. No notice from TJ MAXX that they were sending UPS to pick up the nondamaged box - as I told them during 1st call. I wanted the missing bag.

Now I won't ever shop online again. I am not sure how this will turn out, I called them today and asked WTH? They said its just formality (stupid). I requested to speak to a supervisor (this was at 9 am). Crystal (who I was speaking to today for 30 minutes - more lost time on my end!) she said a supervisor would call me before the close of business. They never did. VERY UNPROFESSIONAL! I am going to file mail fraud if this is not dealt with this by the end of the week. I purchased a lot from them and I am not digging out other items I purchased this month to return. They also frequently send the wrong size/color - which sucks as they take 2 weeks to deliver. I am NOT paying for a warehouse person's purse!

Original review: June 29, 2018

I was in one of the Chicago stores buying a gift for a bridal shower, which was a lantern with a candle inside. The item did not have a price tag on it. As I handed it to the cashier she cut herself on a piece of sharp metal around the rim. I stood there stunned as she rang up the purchase and then put a bandaid on. I didn't even want to touch the thing after that, but I touched a part she hadn't and was about to leave the store. I decided to get back in line and return it for a refund. I didn't want to give a gift someone may have bled on and besides that, it was clearly dangerous.

Another cashier had to go through a long song and dance looking up codes and what not because the item did not have a tag on it. The cashier who cut herself even said she just bought it two seconds ago and she has a receipt, just refund the money on the receipt, but the other cashier would not make it that simple. I understand that when you buy online, they get 5-10 days to ship, but what kind of decent company with actual inventory needs to take that long? They split one of my recent transactions into two shipments and one of the items did not ship for 8 days. Clearly, they don't have items in stock like it says online.

The final straw with them is happening right now. I bought my mother a dress and jacket set for a wedding that does not take place for a month because I see how slow they are. It has been three full days now and the item is not close to shipping, and they don't consider Saturday and Sunday business days so it can't possible ship until Monday, but even that is doubtful. The item is now listed as ALMOST GONE, her size is gone altogether, so if they haven't already packaged her item for shipping; I don't know if we will even get anything. If someone paid for faster shipping and actually got it after we made our purchase, I'm sure they will be getting the item first even though we ordered first.

Original review: June 25, 2018

I came in 30 minutes before closing, which I understand can be Frustrating in the retail business as I have worked in retail myself but I knew exactly what I was looking for and I was moving as quickly as I could but I was slow down by a the chaos of being rushed by every single cashier or worker I encounter. Then as I was paying I realized I didn't have enough for all my items so I put 3 items back. It may have been 3 maybe 4...

Anyway what I received in response was a rude annoyed cashier rushing me out the door and as a result to this I am now sitting in my car looking at my receipt realizing she did not take one of the items off but also did not give it to me so I was charge exactly $20 over the amount that I should have paid so now the store's closed and I'm worried that they are going to believe me when I go back to tell them this in the morning so I'm hoping making this complaint will help my case. The product that I decided against, but was charged for anyway is listed on my receipt as item number 73 BATH&BODY 903128. This was at the Redding, CA (Hilltop Dr & East Palisades Ave. 96003 location on 6/24/1988. Total cash spent was $71.85 including tax and item that I was not given.

Original review: June 22, 2018

It’s 2018 why is it going to take two weeks to receive an order? In the same country? Placed an order 6/15/2018 money was taking for the purchase and held for a week while order process. Contacted customer service and was told it takes 5 days to process and an additional 5-10 for shipping however that’s not what is stated on website 5-10 days should mean entire process time and shipping time included. I see why a lot of business are failing they can’t hang with Amazon or Walmart shipping. So by the time I get my luggage I would probably have purchased the same thing on Amazon and have returned this to the store for a full refund. Thanks for wasting my time and yours.

Original review: June 14, 2018

DO NOT SHOP ON TJ MAXX WEBSITE, RIPOFF! I placed an order on TJ Maxx website on June 13, 2018. I didn't receive an immediate confirmation via e-mail, as I'm accustomed to when placing an order online from any merchant/company. On June 14, 2018, I contacted TJ Maxx customer service, and was advised that their website is currently down, and they cannot even lookup my order (with my order confirmation number), the excuse was they are in the process of updating their system, and maybe they can lookup my order by Monday, June 18, 2018.

After reading the numerous complaints against them it appears that this has been ongoing for a long time. They should have a disclosure on their website that informs the consumer/shopper of the issue. IT IS VERY CLEAR TO ME THEY ARE LYING, BECAUSE THIS HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR MONTHS. If this is the issue they should not be accepting orders online until the problem is fixed. If I don't have a tracking number, or a confirmation on the status of my order by Monday, I shall contact my local ripoff news station and report them!!

AGAIN, if this problem is ongoing why hasn't TJ Maxx fixed the problem months ago?? They sound like a broken record every time you contact them about the status of the order.... "System is down." TJ Maxx, should not be processing and accepting orders online until the problem is fixed and should be disclosed clearer on their website. I will give you an update on June 18, 2018, (Monday) if they were able to resolve the issue and track my order.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I made an online purchase from TJ Maxx. I paid for overnight shipping on May 23, 2018. I have received a tracking number that was issued on May 31 for 2 day shipping. As of June 4 I still have not received my order. TJ Maxx customer service cannot tell me where my order is located just that they have 10 days to actually ship my item. The only reason a label was even generated was because I have been inquiring as to where my item is. They won’t allow you to cancel an order you can only return it. I can’t return something they have. I have contacted them at least five times and I can’t get a straight answer as to what they have done with my order. Very frustrated and very disappointed with this company.

Original review: June 2, 2018

Cedar City, Utah location. My wife needed me to join her in the dressing room in order to show me the clothes she was trying on. The associate then told me that I was unable to join my wife. I go to hundreds of dressing rooms and am allowed in the dressing room. This is an insulting policy and I have no idea how they legally enforce that policy other than instructing the associates to judge the gender of individuals entering the changing rooms.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I don’t know about the one star reviews that got me worried about my order, but I was moved to write this review because I had a great experience. I ordered a bunch of different items, I called customer service a couple of time to check on my order because the reviews got me so worried that my order will be delayed, damaged or items will be missing. None of that happened. They were really nice and very helpful. And I received my perfectly packaged items earlier than expected! All items were exactly like expect. Thank you. I hope this review is helpful.

Original review: May 27, 2018

I have placed several online orders with this company. NONE of them have been filled correctly. I was shipped a table without the right number of legs and customer service acted like it was MY fault. They were rude and unhelpful. They need to do a serious overhaul of their online shipping dept. AMAZON is still the standard of online shopping!

Original review: May 18, 2018

I purchased several items which I boxed together and returned. My first return was credited to the wrong purchase. Called in March 2018 and spent 45 minutes explaining over and over what the issue was. I was told the claims were submitted to resolve the issue. Weeks later no update. I then returned six swimsuits using a single shipping label. I received credit for four items less the 9.99 a piece for shipping. Ugh. Called three more times asking were my credits for the other two swimsuits are. Spent 45 minutes each call with no resolution. I was told that we are sending the issues to our fulfillment center and will hear back soon. Nothing. Scheduled two supervisor call backs which were never returned. Still don’t have my $42 each refunds and spent $40 in label costs. What a rip-off. After decades shopping at TJ Maxx I am telling everyone to stay away.

Original review: May 16, 2018

When I received my order there were portions missing. I also received damaged and missing products and was charged for them. I have made several attempts to receive a credit and return my items and TJ Maxx will not allow me to at their expense.

Original review: April 23, 2018

Placed an order with multiple items online. Many times, they ship items separately which is fine. One of the items (which is the one I REALLY wanted), got damaged along the way and the UPS tracking information said that UPS would open a claim for it. It also said the item was discarded. I emailed TJMaxx about this and the response I got was that TJMaxx would open up a claim and wait to receive the return, and THEN refund me. How can you wait to receive the return package, when UPS tracking said they DISCARDED the item?

Also note that if you do NOT have the mailed receipt with the barcode on it when you return an online item, they will only give you store credit. They don't care if you have an email print out of the receipt or your ID. They will not grant an actual return unless you have the physical receipt they sent you. The way this business runs things is extremely outdated. I keep thinking a bunch of technologically inept individuals do it this way because they refuse to learn how to upgrade and get with the times. Once your generation is gone, your business will be too unless you make the effort to progress like other businesses!

Original review: April 19, 2018

Their customer service rep won't cancel an order I just placed because she said "it's out of our hands." Whose hands is it in then? The order hasn't shipped. That is poor customer service, and they just want my money. You treat your customers bad, they won't shop with you, and that's what's going to happen.

Original review: April 15, 2018

Ordered 7 items on 02/04/18. Nothing delivered for 2-3 weeks, so called customer service. Items shown as Not Delivered on site. Said they would put a trace on order and I would be notified within a week as to status. Received a single item from the order on 03/28/18. Online site showed entire order as delivered. Subsequently called and reported sole item was received and was promised a refund. As of 04/15/18, no further information from TJ Maxx and no refund to my account. They owe me approximately $132.00.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I contacted the number on the TJ Maxx website immediately upon receiving my package with damaged contents inside. I had ordered a faux plant with planter. It was wrapped in airless bubble wrap. No clue where the air went. It was a tiny sheet that hardly covered half the item anyways. It's no wonder it arrived in pieces. I sent a photo to the email as part of the requirement to initiate either a replacement or refund. It's the end of day 2 and still no response. I resent the same email two more times this morning. Their customer service is positively horrible. I did my part, but they can't even respond to resolve the issue after 2 full business days? I won't be buying from them online again until I get some answers. Buyers beware.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I have been hearing about poor customer service at TJ Maxx but never believed until it happened to me. My package was sent to an Access point that does not exist but TJ Maxx refused to help me trace it back. I called them several times but to no avail. Finally, the customer service rep. Told me there is nothing they can do about it and I can't get my refund until they have received it back. I requested for supervisor several time but I was told there is none. What kind of retail store don't have a supervisor/manager. Seriously, I am done.

Original review: March 31, 2018

A BIG thank you to the employees (especially Steven) of TJ Maxx store 1222 in Bayonne. Yesterday my iPad was turned into the store where team member, Steven, called me the next day to tell me it was found. Words cannot describe how grateful I am for their honesty and efforts to reach me! I wanted to give a reward as a thank you - money for a pizza party for the employees to enjoy as a token of my gratitude and it would not be accepted. In a world where we hear so many sad and tragic stories of people who make bad choices every day it is inspiring to have an such an uplifting experience with strangers who did not have to do anything. Thank you again, TJ Maxx employees and management!

TJ Maxx Company Information