Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card
Sears Credit Card
3.47/5

Sears Credit Card

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

323 Sears Credit Card Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 10, 2019

I had the Sears store card for about 6 months. 2000 dollar limit. So with 350 dollars on my card and flawless payment history the idiots dropped my limit to 400.00. Thank you Sears for destroying the credit that I worked so hard to fix... IDIOTS. Plus what happened to the Craftsman quality? I traded my Harbor Freight tool box for a Craftsman. It was made from aluminum foil.

Original review: April 28, 2019

These people are thieves. NEVER get a Sears card. I am on paperless billing. I paid off the card in November 2018. In December 2018 there was a $23 charge. I did not receive a statement in December 2018, January 2019, or February 2019. In March 2019, they sent a statement saying my account was four months overdue, but that's not the worst part. THEY CHARGED ME 1000% interest on that $23. The bill ended up being $230 dollars. Customer service was COMPLETELY unhelpful and lied. I will never do business with this company again.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 28, 2019

I have completely given up on Sears bankcard customer service. I called them to complain about unauthorized charges on my card over 2 months ago. At first I gave my report to the unauthorized charges department. I called 2 weeks later to follow-up and was told that I actually had to call the Fraudulent Claims Department. So, I did. I then called 2 weeks later and was told that my claim had been sent to the Presidential Offices. So, I called them to follow-up. They said they would contact me within 2 weeks.

When they didn't, I called them. And, believe it or not, they said that too much time had passed (117) between the charges and today, so they couldn't be helpful. Half of the 117 days were waiting for Sears to investigate the charges. So, I asked to speak to her Supervisor as was told they would get back to me within 48 hours. They make it so difficult and make you jump through so many hoops to file and see through unauthorized charges. I have to option than to take them to small claims court. If they think I cannot, they are sorely mistaken.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

Sears was my longest line of credit. After being with them for over 10 years they closed my card. Never once made a late payment (not even a day). My card wasn’t maxed out. In fact I was paying it off. I specifically called and asked someone if I paid it off in a debt consolidation would my card be closed. The representative guaranteed me that it wouldn’t. She told me that she would leave notes on my account stating that I did not want my account closed. A month later it’s closed. I call in and dispute it saying that the representative promised it wouldn’t be closed (otherwise I would have just excluded that card from the consolidation).

They investigated it and said they heard the rep promise me it wouldn’t be closed and there were notes added on my account but they still weren’t going to reopen it. She said sorry and hung up on me. This company is a joke and this is exactly why they are going out of business. Thank you to whomever made the decision to give them the ax!

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

My husband opened a Sears Mastercard around 7 years ago, we were on time with the payments and we even paid it off last year. Due to emergencies, we had to put around $1500 back on it, I was then I was a couple weeks with the payment, not even close to 30 days, one time, mind you, and they lowered his limit from $3,000 to $1800. Since then I have not missed a payment, but yet he got a letter in the mail saying they would not be renewing his credit card, what the heck? He has no delinquencies on his credit, why they made that decision I’ll never know. They are terrible and it doesn’t matter if you are a loyal customer or not, they will screw you over!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sears?

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

The Sears credit card system is literally set up to keep you from paying off balance transfers in time for the promotion to end. I had two balance transfers on my card, and I always pay way more than the minimum. I should have already paid off my first transfer, but then I found out the "system" was misapplying my payments. Only the minimum was going towards the first transfer the rest towards the other. Even calling in cannot solve this because all representatives will tell you is that "the system will not apply anything past the minimum to the first transfer, if you have more than one on the card". It is literally set up to keep customers from paying off the transfers on time, so that they can receive interest money. I did a balance transfer for the entire Sears card and then I closed my account with them. There's a reason this company is bankrupt and I have no pity on them.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

Sears had given me misinformation after handling my dispute then closed the case. There was no signature on the charge just a printout. Thank everyone that Sears is going out of business and I am never using my card again after being a loyal customer for 30 years. Rest in peace Sears and good riddance.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

Sears Card billed me $97.98 for a product I supposedly purchased from Norton. I never ordered or received anything from Norton. There is nothing in my PC remotely connected to any Norton product. I got in contact with Norton this morning and asked them for a detailed printout of my supposed purchase. They could not find any information with my name or email address of any purchase. I received a letter from Sears Card that they have adjusted the $97.98 but that I must pay them $27.00 for the adjustment. How, in heaven's name, can expect me to pay them for something that never happened. They have now threaten me with sending this incident to the three credit card adjusters. What are my options?

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

I have a Sears Citi credit card. One of the worst mistakes I ever made. They have poor customer service and lousy credit cards. I tried using my card and they won't allow me to use my card. They decided to place a hold on my account for real reason. My account is current and I still have credit available to use. They just decided to place holds on my account because they felt like. It's the worst card I have ever had with the highest interest rate. They have piss poor supervisors who don't know what the hell their job description entails. Poor customer service and credit cards, don't use them at all.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I saw a Facebook ad back in May 2018 for this New You Challenge company, which turns out to be a third party purveyor of gym memberships and work out programs. They gave me a great song and dance and as far as I'm concerned, embezzled $300 out of me for a program through one of their third party vendors, it was about 3 weeks later when I got to the gym they set me up with and at that gym, the owners wanted me to sign a contract that was so unholy and personally attacking and setting me up for ultimate failure along with my entire life, and everyone including family to be attached to any possible lawsuits, it was heinous! They stand you in line to wait for 30 minutes at the gym, let you read a tiny paragraph or two up on a website on a huge screen in the gym, then you sign in, then later on in the evening you get another copy to sign.

That moment I had a chance to actually read it and discover the insidiousness of the legal speak in it and from that moment forward when I saw just how damning it was, I refused to have anything to do with the company NEW YOU CHALLENGE or any of their vendors, my "do not trust" factor shot through the roof. Stay away from this company and any affiliates they offer, if you value your life, your finances and your future as well as family's assets too. Any little thing goes wrong, THEY OWN YOU! And everything you have. On the contract they don't give you a copy of up front, you are signing away every legal right you have including any right to counsel should an issue arise and they spell out they will come after everything you own as well as your family and close relatives.

Now whether that would actually stand up in court might remain to be seen, but you just threw away any right you had to legal counsel when you signed it and they spelled it out. New You Challenge refused to give me my money back and did not provide me services that I paid for. So now enter Sears CC company, your supposed to have a right to challenge merchants when things do not go as planned. I did the challenge on the account.

They initially sent me my money back, then took away again because this company NYC claimed I signed the contract, but as stated, they don't let you read the contract in detail or tell you anything about what their third party vendors may or may not do with any aspect of this program down the road, then they walk away from you when you have a problem. Sears CC did the same thing to me, they threw me back to the wolves. I need financial partners that I can trust to have my back when things go south and Sears CC has proven to not be that company. Do not do business with New You Challenge and think long and hard about doing business with Sears - both are NOT customer oriented. Sears in the old days used to be a decent company, but they have changed.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

After having this card for 10 years and using it responsibly, we found that Citi reduced our credit limit without notice. Now, we can't even purchase a new refrigerator. Very disrespectful way to treat their clients for being good consumers and paying our account timely and providing them with such a nice interest base to grow their business. We contacted Citi Customer Service with no resolve. They had not interest to correct the error and we will need to resort to alternative means to purchase appliances. You will not be treated as a valued customer. Read the reviews and understand they do not care about their clients.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I was looking for a great appliance set at Sears in 2014. I was approved for a Sears Credit Card. I have great credit and was approved for a whopping $500.00. I’ve never reviewed statements and have changed settings on my account. I’ve called customer service several times, they were extremely rude and didn’t speak but broken English. I had a lady hang up on me twice. I told them I would be cancelling my card and the rep replied, "Great!" They refuse to increase your credit limit even being a year at a $0 balance. You deserve a great card with perks. Do not get this card or give them business. We work hard for our dollars. No reason they should treat people this way. I filed a complaint over a year ago about everything I’m telling you and no reply or email. Nothing. They don’t need our business.

Original review: July 2, 2018

Interest rate is 26%. What is this, 1986? How the hell does a company get away with that rate? I used my card for a 'trial' of a background check service, and nowhere in the form did it indicate a recurring 'membership'. Citi would not refund the $45 I was charged and considered the matter RESOLVED BECAUSE THE SCAMMER SAID IT WAS A LEGITIMATE CHARGE. I closed this account as fast as I could.

Original review: May 6, 2018

Been a Sears credit card holder since 1987. Tried to sign into the website to pay my bill but kept getting "You have successfully signed off" as the response. I called to technical services and they told me to clear my cache and that did not work. Told me to try another platform besides Chrome and that did not work. Then they told me the site would be down for a week. I asked her why she did not tell me that in the beginning instead of trying all these other things. She did not say a word. I then asked to be transferred to Customer Service so I could pay my bill. It asked for my last 4 digits of my account but then stated it could not find my account. When I finally get to a person she stated their automated system is down and that is why it did not recognize my account. So do not get this credit card.

Original review: March 31, 2018

I have had a Sears card since 1979. I pay my bill as soon as I receive it and pay more than the minimum. Until now I have not had any problems. Last month I did not receive a statement. I called customer service prior to the due date to inform them and request a new statement be sent immediately. The representative I spoke told me this would be done. It is a little over a week past the due date and I have not received a new statement. Instead, CITI has put a block on my card. They did even notify me that this would be done. Instead, I found out when a bookstore with which I had placed a pre-order let me know my book had arrived but that payment was not authorized, so the book would not be sent.

This was very embarrassing. I called Sears/CITI customer support and, once I got past the robo-voice, spoke with someone whose accent was incredibly difficult to understand which was compounded by a poor connection. She just kept repeating the same lines over and over. I spoke with a supervisor and was told I could link the card to my bank account and have funds transferred. After the treatment I received on their part, there was no way I was going to do this. I suspect no new statement was ever issued. My credit rating is very good. I am going to pay this card off and never use it again.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

I purchased an appliance last year (2017) at Sears and took it home the same day. I made 2 additional purchases during the time I've had the card. They definitely got me too when they said "Hey, apply for a Sears card and get 12 months no interest"... etc. I received TWO bills TOTAL from Sears. Simply set reminders on my phone to call and make a payment! But absolutely nothing on last month's purchase/activity ($161)... No bill. No notification. No late notice. Until another agency called and informed me I owed $100 more than 45 days ago. Additionally, the full amount will be due in 3 weeks. Thank you for your tremendous communication and customer service, Sears. I won't be back. P.S.: It would be lovely if you accepted something other than a check for over the phone one-time payments!

Updated on 03/28/2018: So, this is more of an update... I called Sears Credit after my review here and made my required payment due plus a little extra. I then called again two weeks later the day after receiving a bill from them :o with a March 17 due date! (I was truly shocked when I opened the mail!). So on February 14, I called Sears credit and submitted a $60 payment - double my minimum due. I had decided that I would make two of these a month until paying the remaining balance off (which after that payment > $130). Then, on Feb. 27, I called in, made another payment ($30 ~ what I could budget) and went about my day. This afternoon I was informed that my account was past due (still owed $27 for the last billing cycle and now owe $177). Last payment received: Feb 15th.

So, apparently the 2/27 payment never actually made it through their antiquated system. My biggest mistake was not writing down the confirmation number --- The Lesson: Do not EVER make this mistake. I cannot wait pay this card off, cut it up and melt it down. And don't even bother trying to link your Sears card to a Citi credit card account online so you can make easy online payments UNLESS you already have a "banking relationship" with Citibank. Clearly, the Citibank/Sears business model is now to make it as difficult as possible for YOU to have easy access to YOUR account information while selling your information to the highest bidder. ZERO to negative "Stars".

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

Run as fast from the guy as you can when he offers you 12 months or 24 months free! They suckered me right in, and immediately after my purchase, the interest started. I made several attempts to reason with these people at Sears, NO SUCCESS! They don't want to hear it, they don't care, and they keep transferring you till you hang up. My worst experience ever! Once the card is paid off, they lost a customer for life!! And honestly, I can't wait after what they have put me through!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

Stay away. This is a SCAM!! They offer you a 2 yrs "interest free" credit card that is actually only free if you pay the total amount in full before the end of those 2 yrs. If you don't you are charged for the interest of the past 24 months. I got it to pay for an unexpected car failure that costed me $550 at Sears cause was the closest car repair shop around I could drag my car to... And btw they did a HORRIBLE JOB, broke another piece of my car which resulted in my car having to stay an extra day and me missing an important appointment with a client since in Puerto Rico public transportation sucks and does not connect the whole island so there was no way to get there without a car. I asked for at least a discount since it was their fault for breaking my car and the manager was extremely nasty, never again did I go there.

Back to the credit card payments, I did my payments every month and only had $50 left to pay and when about to pay them I realized my monthly statement reflected I owed $288. You can imagine my surprise!!! They charged $248 in interest fees... That's when I realized the interest were not calculated from the remaining balance (like all other credit cards I know) but from the last 24 months. Sears, that's why you are broke and soon to go out of business!!! SCAMMERS!!! Will never buy anything at a Sears store again.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

I was told false information over the phone about my credit card promotion. Had to have phone recording pulled to verify. Then I was told false information again by the department handling it and credits I'd receive to resolve it. I had to have that phone call recording pulled as well. It was not easy. Every time I called about anything, I was met with wrong or inconsistent information, and a very rude attitude for no reason. The service reps bully and pick arguments no matter how patient or sweet you attempt to remain. You get the run-around every time you try to get something resolved.

But the worst part is giving false information that costs you financially. I surmise this is why the service reps are so horrible - they are on the defense due to the shady practices. I did manage to get a hold of a couple courteous people, but it takes a lot of tenacity. Overall, dishonest business practices, and a deliberate bullying and run-around mentality from service reps to support it. Very stressful and just awful.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

I have had the Sears Card for almost 30 years, since 1990. I have always felt the customer service was pretty horrible, even worse when Citibank took over some years ago, but I just used it and paid it off, no problem and never really had to deal with customer service... until recently. Due to Cat 5 Hurricane Irma headed directly to my area of Florida, I recently evacuated my state and spent a few days in Alabama, came back to a mess, and things are going OK now -- a few weeks later.

After returning to Florida, my car lease company reached out and said, "why don't we give you 2 months of not paying and we will add those 2 payments on to the end of your lease?" My Amex Personal Loan also said, "why don't we give you 2 months of not paying and we will add it on to the end of your loan?" To both companies I said, "GREAT and THANK YOU!" Additionally my 2 major credit cards (Capital One and Am. Express) waived any and all late fees for 2 months w/o even being asked, they just did it if you lived in a "FEMA Zone."

Here is how the Citibank Sears card responded following a Cat 5 hurricane: I had a $32 balance (yes, only THIRTY TWO DOLLARS AND ZERO CENTS) that I paid 3 days after the due date (due to no power and spotty cell phone service following the storm). I called in a few weeks later to pay the $32 in full and asked them to waive the $27 late fee... The answer was NO. I even asked to be escalated to a manager, explained I had the card since 1990, the answer was still NO. So I paid the $59 in full w/ the rep over the phone and will NEVER, EVER, EVER use this card again. I will only keep it b/c it is not good for your credit report to cancel cards. I will wait to watch Sears go out of business. I DO NOT RECOMMEND ANY CITIBANK PRODUCT... Their customer service should be studied in College Business Classes for what NOT to do in business.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I went to Sears to purchase appliance with family. Salesman said that there will be soft inquiry if you want Sears credit card. I said my score is 721, own house, self employed and have credit card credit limit of $4000 with 0 balance. Will I be approve for this card and reply was, "Yes, you should be easy approved." Now when I applied for a card they simply declined and they said, "This happen a lot? So why don't you apply for Sears store card, if credit card didn't go, don't worry!" Now I asked again if this is soft inquiry they said, "Yes don't worry." Now they made me apply again for Sears store card and got declined again. Now they said, "Maybe you need to call them and speak in person."

Then I came back home. It was not soft inquiry. It was hard inquiry. I would advise that if you visit there, don't apply for a card. They are just bunch of sales people who lie and ruined your credit and it's not nice. Bad feeling when you with family and they pull a stunt like this and make you feel bad person. There is no such thing soft inquiry, it's a freaking hard inquiry.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

I applied for Sears card while shopping at Kmart to get the discount. Card was approved and I paid off balance before due date to avoid interest. A month later I received a statement saying that I had not paid my bill + a $32.00 late fee was added to that. I contacted Citi to discuss my account. I told them that I had paid the balance before my due date and they told me that my payment was returned to my bank because they could not find an account.

I contacted my bank and it did not showed a payment returned. The Sears associate told me that I needed to pay balance + late fees. I tried to explain that I had paid it already but they continued to tell me the same thing. They were very unprofessional and I was angry that they continued to robo-call me. Three weeks later they added another late fee and reported to credit bureau. This bank caused my credit score to drop. I tried to resolve the problem by agreeing to pay balance again but not the late fees because my payment was not late. They would not agree.

After another month passed I finally was able to talk to someone in management that went back and reviewed my account and said that she saw that I had paid my account off before the due date but account # was probably transposed and money was never transferred to Sears account. To make a long story short. I agreed to pay balance and associate waived the 3 late charges of $106.00. My balance was only $32.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2017

Sears Credit subscribes to Experian, an outfit which is famous for its Draconian practices. Well I say to each their own. However the economy being the way it is, right now, maybe Sears might try selling their washers, dryers, refrigerators, etc. to Experian and maybe they'll fill in the void, left by those of us who Experian does not approve of, but everybody else does.

Original review: July 13, 2017

Citibank should be shut down! I made my first payment on time and it was for 60% of the total amount due and sent it in with two weeks before the due date. The next billing cycle I got a $27.50 late fee. When I called them about it, I got some lame idiot from India that could hardly speak English. I tried to explain to them what happened and they totally disregarded my statement and refused to remove the late charge. I told them since they refuse to rectify the situation, just close my account immediately! I will never ever do business with Sears again! I hope that they close permanently, since they reap what they sow! UP YOURS SEARS!!

Original review: July 12, 2017

When trying to see my pending transactions, I found out that Citibank does not show your pending transactions for 48 hours. The notifications do not update, nor does your balance. So basically someone could be using my card for 2 days and I wouldn't know it. This is ridiculous! I have a Capital One card and it shows pending transactions immediately! Get it together Citibank! I am going to shut down that account, a credit card company that is that negligent doesn't deserve the business!

Original review: May 24, 2017

I have been trying to start an "investigation" into my Sears billing for almost 2 years now through the Sears Mastercard. I have been a loyal customer since the late 1990's with Sears. However, whatever is happening to this corporation under the direction of now Citi is nothing short of illegal. The telephone numbers I am given to reach supervisory people are incorrect, they either keep me on hold for sometimes up to 1-1/2 hours or hang up on me. I have yet to receive proof of what they are billing me for. I AM ABSOLUTELY THROUGH DEALING WITH THIS INCOMPETENT AND THIEVING ORGANIZATION. I will make one more attempt to reach someone with competence at the Citi corporate level, but let me put in writing that I do not intend to pay what they are charging me without proof of purchases versus what I have paid since 2013.

I will take every legal step allowed to stop this farce on the American consumer. I would leave my account number, but not one of the customer service people can pull up my account with my phone number, account number, last four of my social or my address. But they sure keep billing me. I can only hope that Citi has a liaison that reads these reviews, because you can reach me by email. I will cancel and stop paying anything, until some action on their part is pursued. Well, I will submit my account number because I haven't made a purchase for months.

Original review: May 19, 2017

I had this SEARS Citi Mastercard since 2012. When I was in a family emergency in 2013, I asked them to increase my credit limit and they did for $2200 (more than what I asked). I was happy because I had to go home unexpectedly due to a terminal mother. Because of SEARS me and my husband are able to go and see my mom before she passed away. I was very grateful, and the SEARS customer service lady was very nice. I paid off my balance 6 months later. Then, I went home again in 2016 and informed SEARS that I will be traveling out of country and they made sure I am able to use my card overseas without a problem, and I surely did! Twice in such situation that SEARS Citi Mastercard was very helpful to me. I am forever grateful for SEARS!!!

Original review: May 18, 2017

AccountCare Scam. Yes it is a scam. I received a statement saying if we miss one payment AccountCare would take care of it. Most of paid 1000's of extra money into this AccountCare thing. Find out total waste of money. They wouldn't cover one of month of missed payment so we got behind and I suppose that screws up our credit rating. Don't bother with it. AccountCare seems to be a con game to get more money out of people.

Original review: April 9, 2017

Before you activate your Sears Mastercard you should be mindful that you will be inundated by sales pitches. I attempted to pay my balanced but was told I had to wait for my card to come in the mail. Once received, I went through the pain of dialing the activation number and was asked about 11 different products before being told by recording that the number was changed. Dial 1(800)877-1403 if you wish to validate my statement. I was once a loyal Sears customer but now understand why they are in the financial ruin they are in. I despise credit but wanted to take advantage of the promotions - NEVER AGAIN, I will pay retail next time.

Original review: March 22, 2017

I had a Sears card for over 35 years and it had its issues sometimes, but nothing like what Citibank has done to it. In the 35 years I had their card, never missed a payment and was never late. Out of the blue, I received a letter from Citibank that they were cancelling my card? I guess they don't want my business anymore. I will never purchase anything from Sears again. From reading all the rest of the reviews it looks like they have done the same thing to several folks. I saw this morning on the News that Sears/Kmart were closing stores and will be going under very soon. And the bean counters in their corporate office are probably wondering why? Go figure!

Sears Credit Card Company Information