Cabela's World's Foremost Outfitter
1.54/5
  • 1 star
Based on 31 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Cabela's

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 18, 2018

73 Cabela's World's Foremost Outfitter Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

I purchased a camo jacket online from Cabela's. I got a confirmation email about the purchase. A few days later I get a status email stating the item had NOT been shipped yet. Then I get another email stating the item had been cancelled, but get this they still showed a shipping charge... so I guess they can cancel your order anytime they want just by saying it's now out of stock or sold out. I will never buy from Cabelas again. I wouldn't even give them a 1 star rating after this crap. I've had enough of them.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I could not find exchange information on their website or on the phone so I called customer service. A man named Steve answered after a short wait and was very courteous and helpful. I ended the call smiling. What might have been a hassle became a pleasure. I am disabled so I often call customer service at various stores. I HIGHLY recommend calling Cabela's CS. They have great products at low prices and their CS is excellent as well. They are Americans and are easily understood. HOORAY! Thank you.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

I came on here looking to read reviews about Cabela's, and only read bad reviews. Clearly only the people who like to complain come on here. I have nothing but good things to report about Cabela's. The prices are as good as I will find anywhere (Canada) and when I had concerns about an order of mine, they resent the order for me asap. No complaints with them at all! Thank you Cabela's for following up quickly!!! I purchase a lot from them in person when I am within a reasonable distance, but was also pleased with their delivery since I live a long distance from them. I will order confidently from them again!!!

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

Cabela is known for fake deals. They are always posting great deals. They will allow you to place your order even if they don't have stuff in their inventory. I had really bad experience with them. I placed North Face Jacket order at 12/12/17 and everything went fine. I got my order number and I was excited for my North Face Jacket. The order was showing that I will get my stuff by 12/20/17. Then the story began. Nothing happened till 12/17, no order tracking, simply nothing. I called to their customer care to get my order and then I got answer, "Your order is canceled as they were not having enough stock. Also we haven't deducted your money". I asked to customer care representative that, "Why my order was placed if you were not having enough stock." Simply no answer. Come on, is this the way to handle the business?

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

My wife Ordered a handgun. We have Bought plenty of them from there at least 5-10 a year. It's before Christmas. She had gotten a order confirmation number from them. 2 weeks later when it's the pickup date She goes to pick it up and apparently the order has been cancelled without notice or even a reason why. In the last two weeks besides this order I have spent thousands here and will now be returning all of my items and will not shop here ever again. Terrible.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cabela's?

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

I talked online to get a refund for an item I bought that they had discounted a week later. The person told me they would refund me the difference, even though I was past their 7 day policy (I think it was 10 days). I was happy. When the refund came through they only refunded me 54% of the difference. They told me one thing and did another. Dishonest.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

While Christmas shopping on Cabelas.ca I encountered a deal on heated insoles. The deal required purchasing insoles at $169 and receiving a free additional pack of batteries. I made the purchase and within a few weeks I received the order. The free spare batteries were not included in my order. I called customer service and they explained that as soon as they received the batteries, they would send them??? "Why advertise a special when there is no stock to supply," was my first question.

The customer service gentleman I spoke with was cordial and assured I would receive them shortly. 2 days later I receive an email saying that the portion of my order that included the free batteries had been cancelled from my order. So the special that they offered was not really a special at all. I find this to be a very poor practice. If I offer a special from my business, had clients purchase this special, then only provided a portion of the goods, and kept the full purchase price the same, I would not be in business very long. I am very unhappy with this transaction. I have included pictures of my order and the subsequent email I sent to the “customer care team” which has gone unanswered.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I have had an account with Cabela's for 3 plus years. Just recently I decided to start paying down my credit limit. I made payments 764.00 over 3 months to get the balance down. Well today I get my statement and see that something is wrong. My available credit was only 98.00. I knew it had to be wrong because I had just paid the 764.00 and had not used my card, so I called.

Well to my surprise I was transferred to Capital One not to Cabela's. Without notice they decreased my limit (AFTER I PAID THEM OVER 764.00). Shady, shady, shady... On time payments always, never missed a payment! So now it appears that I am using 100% of my available credit limit. This dropped my credit score and is VERY SHADY!!! I am not a happy consumer and just found out that they did this to my husband as well. Beware. I will pay off my account and Cabela's has lost our business. I see we are not the only ones they have done this to! BAD BUSINESS PRACTICES!!!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

Last Monday I was online with this store and notice they had a sale going on with boots, shoes and other items. I never order online with any store for shoes but I needed. A new pair. I ordered a pair of sneakers and dress shoes because they had it listed for.01 cent a pair. So I placed the order they ran my card sent a confirmation email. But I called this past Monday because it was not shipped. They said they have the right not to honor it because it was an error on the website and they will refund my money in 24 hours. I will never shop at this store.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

I just wasted two hours of my life on my only day off because Cabela's customer service sucks. I was looking for a product called Boost, it is essentially oxygen in a can. I wanted it ASAP and I could not find it locally at any other place other than Cabela's which had one 22-oz can left and it was an hour away from my home. I called them Friday night about 30 minutes before closing and they said that they had one on the shelf but they could not hold it for me. They said I just have to take the chance that it would still be there the next day when I can make the trip. I said I did not want to take that chance because it is so hard to find and I was willing to pay for it over the phone with a credit card.

The guys at the store said that they could give me their 800 number to pay for it and then they can pull it from the shelf. So I called the 800 number and they said that if I purchased it that way, that they would have to ship it and it would take five days because they don't pull it from store shelves. They pull it from the warehouse. I said, "That will not work for me so put me back in touch with the store." When I talked to the guys at the store, it was now 5 minutes before closing, but they agreed to pull it from the shelf and hold it for me for no more than 24 hours and they took my full name and my phone number. I told them I would be there the next day. I also told them I would be coming from an hour away.

I drive the next day to find out that they did not have the can on hold for me and I had to hear the same old rigmarole that they don't hold things for anyone and I told them that they did agree to hold it last night because I was willing to purchase it by phone and their system just will not allow it. I said, "So they just out-and-out lied to me and made me waste my time by driving an hour?!" There was really no answer to that. They simply said that customer service probably put it back on the shelf because they know that they're not supposed to hold things... And I asked so they didn't even call the number written on the hold. Thanks for the wasted 2 hours of my life. I will never ever ever shop at your store. This experience will forever be etched in my mind and I will tell everybody I know not to shop at Cabela's.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

Cabela's visa- I was given $5000.00 limit in April 2017 and kept up my payments on time and in September I made a payment of $2500.00 which they cashed and then immediately Lowered my limit to $2300.00. Upon calling them they said it was the credit bureau Equifax recommendation (which was just hacked and announced nationwide.) I told them that is hurting my credit because now I am at 100% usage instead of 45% and decided to close my account period.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

I got a CCV in December 2016 with a $3000 limit. Used the card and made large payments to keep the balance low. I called customer service in January to set up auto pay for minimum payments to be sure it was never late. The minimum auto payments didn't happen. Again called in June to inquire about auto pay. Told the same thing, still no auto pay. Although I've made major payments to reduce my balance, they have routinely dropped my credit limit. Now it's half of what it used to and it has damaged my credit score due to the high credit use to credit minor ratio. Clearly Cabela's does not want me as a customer. I'm going to pay off my card and never shop at Cabela's again!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

I lost my card and put my account on hold. Two weeks later I get a letter saying because I did not call back and my card was not active they were canceling my card and I forfeited all my Cabela club points. I just paid off my card 5,197.94. No more 16.99 percent interest for them. Go with a GM card they treat you with respect and a lot less interest.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

In past years I have ordered items from Cabela’s with good customer service. Apparently good customer service from Cabela’s is a thing of the past. Recently I ordered an IM3300 Pelican gun case that was in stock from Cabela’s. After three day I called to check the shipping status. I was told it was on the truck and given a UPS tracking number. I checked with UPS via the tracking number and it was not valid tracking number. I called Cabela’s the next day and they told me the case had not shipped but it will ship today. I waited a day and called again and once again they told me the gun case would ship today. Again, I waited two days and called and was now told that the case was no longer in stock but I could not cancel the order even though it has not shipped. I ordered the case from Amazon and it shipped that day. I will send the case back to Cabela’s if it ever arrives.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

I have never been late paying my bill nor have I ever missed a payment but yet every time I pay my bill and I get my account down they take $100 and drop my credit limit then they take another $100 and drop my credit limit and I'm not understanding why they keep doing this. I started out with $1,000 credit limit now it's down to 700. And calling them up they cannot ever give me a reason why. As much money as I spend in Cabela's on hunting and fishing stuff this is the disrespect that they show me. I will not be shopping at Cabela's anymore and once I pay off my balance I will cancel this card.

Original review: July 28, 2017

I recently ordered hiking shoes and shorts that were advertised on sale. The shorts arrived within a few days invoice noted hiking shoes were back ordered. I waited for 2 weeks shoes never arrived and no further notice. I online chatted with customer service to inquire and was told that my order was cancelled which was news to me. The customer service rep indicated he (Greg) would research my order and check on replacement. After a few minutes he wrote there were no replacement shoes and nothing could be done. I'm left with no hiking shoes and a "tough luck for you buddy" attitude from customer service. Be wary of ordering online from this outfit much better to irk with Amazon. They know how to treat customers respectfully.

Original review: July 16, 2017

I purchased this back pack for my grandson I believe for Christmas of 2015 (??). Spent in excess of $80.00 for it. My grandson told me that the black straps were becoming shredded so had him bring it back to me. I contact their return department to find out about the warranty for this product as it stated that Cabela's brand products would be guaranteed for the life of the product against defects in workmanship and materials. The back pack itself was like new still, just the black straps were bad. I printed out the form they told me and returned the back pack via UPS, at my expense for $28.81, and also advised to insure it, DONE!!!

A month later I get a email thanking me for my order??? I hadn't placed any order??? But showed that I had a gift card for $9.88 cents for a fanny pack. Still stumped!! When I finally realized what they were up to, I was pissed to say the least, but still willing to work with them. The $9.88 cents is for the cheapest price they sold the fanny pack for, I didn't buy a fanny back, but a full size camo Cabela's back pack, so for my trouble of returning the back pack to have it repaired or replaced I get a itsy bitsy gift card. What the Hell??? I told them to send me back the back pack, and as yet I have no guarantee that it will be returned. I was told that I could have purchased it at a yard sale - NO, it was a Christmas present for my grandson. I was told it was a fanny pack, NO, it was a full size what I believed to be a quality buy.

I told them to send me a new back pack and they can have their $9.88 for the replacement one. Doesn't look like that is going to happen either. I'm out the $80.-- plus dollars for the original purchase, $28.81 to return it because of shoddy materials, and I am now in the hole for $100.00, and have no expectations of using that so called gift card, as I will never step foot in their store again, and will tell everyone I know about my experience. Thanks Cabela's. I trusted you and your merchandise and I get nothing in return.

Original review: July 9, 2017

I purchased an earlier model of these shoes with the IN - Famous Cabela's "LIFETIME" Guarantee.The stitching of the sole of the shoe to the upper came out on the right shoe. I called up and talked to a "Judy" at customer service who told me that I would have to send the product in to see if it met their "Lifetime Guarantee" conditions. So I have to send it in at my expense and they may not give me a replacement pair. I guess they haven't heard of digital cameras and the internet. They could have had me send pictures of the damaged area of the slipper, and if it met their "REQUIREMENTS" for their lifetime guarantee THEN I could send the product to them. Now I'm returning the shoes at my expense without any guarantee of replacement. I'm writing about this because I believe the process is intentionally difficult. I believe they want to make it difficult for their customers in order to reduce the number of their so called Lifetime Guarantees they honor.

Original review: July 7, 2017

These lowlifes, do not send you a bill, because they decided to change your billing cycle, (don't ask, advise, etc...), then these lowlifes call you and tell you that your bill is past due. (They have their own business for credit cards.) And sending your account to collections because they never notified you that they changed your due date. This is the second time I dealt with them. Their customer service at store sucks royal, liars, crooks...do not shop at this ** store.

Original review: May 26, 2017

I bought a camp chair over 10 years ago. Love it still, so I bought a new one to go with it. Not the same chair. The new chair is heavy, cumbersome, difficult to unfold and it does not sit good. I paid about the same for each one $50. Love the old one. Hate the new one. PS the new one tips over! No way to get any satisfaction from Cabela's!

Original review: May 25, 2017

I purchased a Mossberg 500 shotgun about 8 months ago and was offered to buy it by signing up for a Cabela's Club Visa card. I would get points and yada yada they said. Initially I had a $2500 limit and things were great for months. I easily put $500 or more on the card and paid off my balance each month. When I bought my motorcycle a few months into owning the card, they sent me a letter telling me that they would drop the credit limit to $1200 due to my new credit situation. I was a bit peeved but accepted this. And again I got back to using the card just fine. I even put most of a vacation on it and again paid off the balance each month -- carrying no balance.

When I decided to buy an AR15 via the Cabela's website, I was declined for the purchase, so I contacted CCV to see if they would bump up my limit an extra hundred bucks so I could make the purchase -- it was at Cabela's no less. They said no. Again, being a good customer of both Cabela's and CCV, I was even not happy. So I went to the store and bought the rifle with a combination of cash and $500 on the card.

About a week later I got a phone call from CCV saying that I was delinquent on my account. I was very surprised. They hadn't sent me a bill and the customer service agent said if I could make the minimum payment of $25 over the phone all would be good but they wouldn't accept payment via another credit card and since I don't have a debit card, they needed a check. Ugh. So I asked if they would just send me a bill to replace the missing one I didn't receive then I would pay off the balance immediately at my local Cabela's. They said fine and when I received my bill, they notified me that they were dropping my credit limit to $800. WHY? Because I missed a $25 minimum payment once? I put $500 through that card every month and pay off the balance every month like clockwork.

So went to my local Cabela's and paid the entire balance due and had them cancel the card. I even gave up $140 of Cabela's club points. I won't do business with CCV, will never have another credit card through VISA and will not shop at Cabela's again, certainly after reading the other reviews here. Good customers don't grow on trees.

Original review: May 22, 2017

Bought a pair of Cabela's Full Draw Hunting Boots. I have worn them for about a year. The Soles started separating from rest of the shoes. Cabela's states a full replacement with defect in material or workmanship. Sent back as their policy states. They sent them back declining the boots saying deteriorated as a result of wear and age not a defect. They don't leak, the tread on bottom of boots is still good. No holes or worn area on uppers only defect is soles are coming apart from rest of boot. I have Danner Boots that are 8 years old with same usage each year as these boots got in one year and the soles aren't coming off due to my wear or age. Purchased thousands of dollars of merchandise from Cabela's in past 2 years. This is last time Anyone should buy anything from Cabela's. Do not back their written guarantees or products.

Resolution response: June 20, 2017

Want to reclarify a review I wrote about... I attempted again to try and get something done about a loveseat I bought 7 months ago... After being turn down every time I emailed or spoke on telephone... The arms came apart at the seams. Also the fabric started to crumble and fall on the floor... Went personally to Cabela and asked to speak to supervisor... I show him the pictures of my loveseat and the splits on the arms... He told me he had to see someone higher up to be able to do something... So the next day he called me and told me they would take it back and refund my money... Glad they resolved it for me... Be careful about anything you buy in the Bargain Cave...

Original review: May 12, 2017

Bought a loveseat in bargain cave... Look like real leather and that's why I bought it. It had some marks on it but I didn't care about that because I figured being real leather it was worth it. Original price was $1499.00. Reduced to $800.00... which wasn't a drop in the bucket. It was pricey... no tags or any information on it but I trusted Cabela's.

When we got it home I found a tag staple underneath it... and found the company that made the furniture was Best furnishings... So I got in touch with them and found out it wasn't leather. Now on both of the arms 7 months later stitching is coming apart... and material between both seats is peeling. Contacted Cabela's and they basically said I'm on my own. The best furniture co. said Cabela's should take care of it but they won't. They said Best furniture should take care of it. To warn anyone do not trust Cabela's furniture... You're basically stuck... So sorry I ever got a charge card from them. Bought thousands of dollars worth of goods from them and was treated badly over this loveseat...

Original review: April 12, 2017

I have spent thousands and thousands over the years and signed up to be a club member and was issued a card for a modest 2000 limit. After 6 months I noticed 200 fraudulently charged from some scammer out of Texas. I called they assured me they would file a fraud claim and take care of me. One month the 200 was removed then a month later it is put back on. Days and days of phone calls and terrible customer service I said, "Just cancel my club membership. I will never shop or even look at a Cabela's again." Canceled my card and the payments interest rate doubled from canceling. These company is just lowly and greedy. Soon to be paid in full and I try to warn anyone how dangerous their club membership is and what a complete ripoff they are. Never Again!

Original review: March 21, 2017

Back in August, 2016, my husband and I went to the store located in Prairie Du Chien WI. The gentlemen at the Firearms Counter was more than helpful with all of our questions and needs. We were shopping for a particular scope for our AR and not only did he have an extreme knowledge of the scopes they carry, but with AR's as well and was able to give us sound advice while choosing our scope. The scope he recommended has worked great for our needs and we couldn't be happier.

Fast forward to now, we needed a copy of that same receipt. I was able to online chat with their Customer Support and the lady helping me was extremely friendly, courteous and speedy. After I had given her a 'rough' time frame (I couldn't remember when we made the purchases) and some other information, she was quickly able to locate my purchase and had the copy of the receipt emailed to me. I can't say enough about the Customer Service skills in person at the store as well as online. Well done!

Original review: March 16, 2017

I purchased a dehydrator a few years ago. Yes, it only had a one year warranty. I used it less than 10 times over the years and the trays are crumbling. I have been in contact with Cabelas and found out the trays are not available now and to check back in 2-3 months. Apparently, they don't seem to know when or if trays will be available. If they are the same as what was initially in it, I probably wouldn't buy replacements. I had further contact with them and questioned the quality of the trays since the new models on the website now come with a lifetime warranty and contain this statement in the description "Heavy-duty polypropylene trays won't get brittle." That statement leads me to believe that the trays in my dehydrator are very poor quality because they are brittle after less than 10 uses. Poor quality. To me, this is a manufacturing defect that should be corrected by the company.

Original review: March 2, 2017

This seems to be a company wide problem. At the Dundee Cabela's 225,000 sq. ft. Used to be my favorite store. It has turned to guano. Outfitters are few and far between. Gun counter people were completely in over their heads. Asked to see a manager. Waited forty-five minutes, nothing. Finally went to customer service where they again paged a manager. He explained that they were busy and didn't have time for me. I only stop once a year while passing through. Started in 2000 when they first opened. Average about $600 a visit. Not anymore. Used to stop at other Cabela's when I travel as they opened more stores. Noticed when they first open a store there is a lot of help even if they aren't very knowledgeable, they try. Stop a few years later. Nobody home!

Store nearest me I used to visit quite often. Never see the same employees. Always strong sign a company treats their personnel badly. Have given up on the entire brand. Can go to Scheels or Runnings and find what I want and helpful employees. They're not the only game in town. Last couple visits store has been dead. Inventory lacking, with large empty sections of display racks and floor space. Think they are hurting and trying to cut way back to profitability. That never works. If Bass Pro doesn't buy them. Wouldn't be surprised to see Cabela's start closing stores. Goodbye and good riddance!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2017

Placed an order December 16 2016 to ship to a soldier in Texas. After MANY conversations with Cabela's about order not being received, it was shipped to me in Michigan... It's February 23 2017. I am still trying to get this resolved.

Resolution response: Feb. 27, 2017

I'd like to say that Cabela's has resolved this issue. I sent my email up through the executive chain at Cabela's... including Mr. Cabela's personal assistant, who resolved the issue instantly by sending my father his shirt that day. He promised to coach his customer service staff and was troubled that they hung up on me... and likely impersonated their job titles as "supervisor". I was please with how they made their priority to fulfill the order first, then get the details of their employee behavior after that was taken care of. Hopefully, the same employees still work for the company but have been trained on how to handle these simple matters.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2017

I ordered a shirt as a gift for my Dad in December. A shirt that was too big for him, so he exchanged the shirt for a smaller size. When Cabela's exchanged the shirt, instead of shipping it back to my Dad's address (where the shirt was originally shipped), Cabela's accidentally sent it to my billing address. Since I do not reside at my billing address, I cannot retrieve the shirt... Cabela's arbitrarily sent the shirt to the wrong address.

Upon calling customer service, I was given a horrible runaround. Instead of solving the problem, I was asked to have a friend or neighbor send the shirt to me, then I would send the shirt to my dad. Thus incurring two more shipping charges in order to fix Cabela's mistake. The customer service rep was rude and interrupted me throughout my call and would not help me resolve the issue, insisting that since the order was delivered to one of the addresses on my account, that was close enough and she therefore considered the shirt delivered and the order fulfilled.

This is obviously preposterous. The rep refused to send a new shirt to my dad and refused to offer any solution that did not involve me driving great distances or shipping on my own in order to fix this simple mistake. When I asked to speak to her supervisor, she connected me with a woman who identified herself as a "Supervisor at Cabela's." She would not identify what department she supervised and when I pressed for more information regarding her job title, she hung up on me. I will certainly chase this matter up the management chain there until I receive a resolution.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2017

It took over two hours to go from picking a firearm, filling out the forms, to paying a 25% down payment on the firearm. There were four employees working in the Check area. They proceeded to b.s. and discuss the private payment methods customers use. They took astronomical amounts of time to call up another Customer. They were rude when they spoke to the customers. This is the worst experience with a store I have ever had. I would not recommend this establishment to anyone...

Cabela's World's Foremost Outfitter Company Information

Cabela's
www.cabelas.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use