Cabela's

Compare Retail Stores

Research top Retail Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I recently ordered hiking shoes and shorts that were advertised on sale. The shorts arrived within a few days invoice noted hiking shoes were back ordered. I waited for 2 weeks shoes never arrived and no further notice. I online chatted with customer service to inquire and was told that my order was cancelled which was news to me. The customer service rep indicated he (Greg) would research my order and check on replacement. After a few minutes he wrote there were no replacement shoes and nothing could be done. I'm left with no hiking shoes and a "tough luck for you buddy" attitude from customer service. Be wary of ordering online from this outfit much better to irk with Amazon. They know how to treat customers respectfully.

I purchased this back pack for my grandson I believe for Christmas of 2015 (??). Spent in excess of $80.00 for it. My grandson told me that the black straps were becoming shredded so had him bring it back to me. I contact their return department to find out about the warranty for this product as it stated that Cabela's brand products would be guaranteed for the life of the product against defects in workmanship and materials. The back pack itself was like new still, just the black straps were bad. I printed out the form they told me and returned the back pack via UPS, at my expense for $28.81, and also advised to insure it, DONE!!!

A month later I get a email thanking me for my order??? I hadn't placed any order??? But showed that I had a gift card for $9.88 cents for a fanny pack. Still stumped!! When I finally realized what they were up to, I was pissed to say the least, but still willing to work with them. The $9.88 cents is for the cheapest price they sold the fanny pack for, I didn't buy a fanny back, but a full size camo Cabela's back pack, so for my trouble of returning the back pack to have it repaired or replaced I get a itsy bitsy gift card. What the Hell??? I told them to send me back the back pack, and as yet I have no guarantee that it will be returned. I was told that I could have purchased it at a yard sale - NO, it was a Christmas present for my grandson. I was told it was a fanny pack, NO, it was a full size what I believed to be a quality buy.

I told them to send me a new back pack and they can have their $9.88 for the replacement one. Doesn't look like that is going to happen either. I'm out the $80.-- plus dollars for the original purchase, $28.81 to return it because of shoddy materials, and I am now in the hole for $100.00, and have no expectations of using that so called gift card, as I will never step foot in their store again, and will tell everyone I know about my experience. Thanks Cabela's. I trusted you and your merchandise and I get nothing in return.

I purchased an earlier model of these shoes with the IN - Famous Cabela's "LIFETIME" Guarantee.The stitching of the sole of the shoe to the upper came out on the right shoe. I called up and talked to a "Judy" at customer service who told me that I would have to send the product in to see if it met their "Lifetime Guarantee" conditions. So I have to send it in at my expense and they may not give me a replacement pair. I guess they haven't heard of digital cameras and the internet. They could have had me send pictures of the damaged area of the slipper, and if it met their "REQUIREMENTS" for their lifetime guarantee THEN I could send the product to them. Now I'm returning the shoes at my expense without any guarantee of replacement. I'm writing about this because I believe the process is intentionally difficult. I believe they want to make it difficult for their customers in order to reduce the number of their so called Lifetime Guarantees they honor.

These lowlifes, do not send you a bill, because they decided to change your billing cycle, (don't ask, advise, etc...), then these lowlifes call you and tell you that your bill is past due. (They have their own business for credit cards.) And sending your account to collections because they never notified you that they changed your due date. This is the second time I dealt with them. Their customer service at store sucks royal, liars, crooks...do not shop at this ** store.

I bought a camp chair over 10 years ago. Love it still, so I bought a new one to go with it. Not the same chair. The new chair is heavy, cumbersome, difficult to unfold and it does not sit good. I paid about the same for each one $50. Love the old one. Hate the new one. PS the new one tips over! No way to get any satisfaction from Cabela's!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cabela's?

I purchased a Mossberg 500 shotgun about 8 months ago and was offered to buy it by signing up for a Cabela's Club Visa card. I would get points and yada yada they said. Initially I had a $2500 limit and things were great for months. I easily put $500 or more on the card and paid off my balance each month. When I bought my motorcycle a few months into owning the card, they sent me a letter telling me that they would drop the credit limit to $1200 due to my new credit situation. I was a bit peeved but accepted this. And again I got back to using the card just fine. I even put most of a vacation on it and again paid off the balance each month -- carrying no balance.

When I decided to buy an AR15 via the Cabela's website, I was declined for the purchase, so I contacted CCV to see if they would bump up my limit an extra hundred bucks so I could make the purchase -- it was at Cabela's no less. They said no. Again, being a good customer of both Cabela's and CCV, I was even not happy. So I went to the store and bought the rifle with a combination of cash and $500 on the card.

About a week later I got a phone call from CCV saying that I was delinquent on my account. I was very surprised. They hadn't sent me a bill and the customer service agent said if I could make the minimum payment of $25 over the phone all would be good but they wouldn't accept payment via another credit card and since I don't have a debit card, they needed a check. Ugh. So I asked if they would just send me a bill to replace the missing one I didn't receive then I would pay off the balance immediately at my local Cabela's. They said fine and when I received my bill, they notified me that they were dropping my credit limit to $800. WHY? Because I missed a $25 minimum payment once? I put $500 through that card every month and pay off the balance every month like clockwork.

So went to my local Cabela's and paid the entire balance due and had them cancel the card. I even gave up $140 of Cabela's club points. I won't do business with CCV, will never have another credit card through VISA and will not shop at Cabela's again, certainly after reading the other reviews here. Good customers don't grow on trees.

Bought a pair of Cabela's Full Draw Hunting Boots. I have worn them for about a year. The Soles started separating from rest of the shoes. Cabela's states a full replacement with defect in material or workmanship. Sent back as their policy states. They sent them back declining the boots saying deteriorated as a result of wear and age not a defect. They don't leak, the tread on bottom of boots is still good. No holes or worn area on uppers only defect is soles are coming apart from rest of boot. I have Danner Boots that are 8 years old with same usage each year as these boots got in one year and the soles aren't coming off due to my wear or age. Purchased thousands of dollars of merchandise from Cabela's in past 2 years. This is last time Anyone should buy anything from Cabela's. Do not back their written guarantees or products.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Want to reclarify a review I wrote about... I attempted again to try and get something done about a loveseat I bought 7 months ago... After being turn down every time I emailed or spoke on telephone... The arms came apart at the seams. Also the fabric started to crumble and fall on the floor... Went personally to Cabela and asked to speak to supervisor... I show him the pictures of my loveseat and the splits on the arms... He told me he had to see someone higher up to be able to do something... So the next day he called me and told me they would take it back and refund my money... Glad they resolved it for me... Be careful about anything you buy in the Bargain Cave...

Julieann of Kulpmont, PA on

Original Review

Bought a loveseat in bargain cave... Look like real leather and that's why I bought it. It had some marks on it but I didn't care about that because I figured being real leather it was worth it. Original price was $1499.00. Reduced to $800.00... which wasn't a drop in the bucket. It was pricey... no tags or any information on it but I trusted Cabela's.

When we got it home I found a tag staple underneath it... and found the company that made the furniture was Best furnishings... So I got in touch with them and found out it wasn't leather. Now on both of the arms 7 months later stitching is coming apart... and material between both seats is peeling. Contacted Cabela's and they basically said I'm on my own. The best furniture co. said Cabela's should take care of it but they won't. They said Best furniture should take care of it. To warn anyone do not trust Cabela's furniture... You're basically stuck... So sorry I ever got a charge card from them. Bought thousands of dollars worth of goods from them and was treated badly over this loveseat...

I have spent thousands and thousands over the years and signed up to be a club member and was issued a card for a modest 2000 limit. After 6 months I noticed 200 fraudulently charged from some scammer out of Texas. I called they assured me they would file a fraud claim and take care of me. One month the 200 was removed then a month later it is put back on. Days and days of phone calls and terrible customer service I said, "Just cancel my club membership. I will never shop or even look at a Cabela's again." Canceled my card and the payments interest rate doubled from canceling. These company is just lowly and greedy. Soon to be paid in full and I try to warn anyone how dangerous their club membership is and what a complete ripoff they are. Never Again!

Back in August, 2016, my husband and I went to the store located in Prairie Du Chien WI. The gentlemen at the Firearms Counter was more than helpful with all of our questions and needs. We were shopping for a particular scope for our AR and not only did he have an extreme knowledge of the scopes they carry, but with AR's as well and was able to give us sound advice while choosing our scope. The scope he recommended has worked great for our needs and we couldn't be happier.

Fast forward to now, we needed a copy of that same receipt. I was able to online chat with their Customer Support and the lady helping me was extremely friendly, courteous and speedy. After I had given her a 'rough' time frame (I couldn't remember when we made the purchases) and some other information, she was quickly able to locate my purchase and had the copy of the receipt emailed to me. I can't say enough about the Customer Service skills in person at the store as well as online. Well done!

I purchased a dehydrator a few years ago. Yes, it only had a one year warranty. I used it less than 10 times over the years and the trays are crumbling. I have been in contact with Cabelas and found out the trays are not available now and to check back in 2-3 months. Apparently, they don't seem to know when or if trays will be available. If they are the same as what was initially in it, I probably wouldn't buy replacements. I had further contact with them and questioned the quality of the trays since the new models on the website now come with a lifetime warranty and contain this statement in the description "Heavy-duty polypropylene trays won't get brittle." That statement leads me to believe that the trays in my dehydrator are very poor quality because they are brittle after less than 10 uses. Poor quality. To me, this is a manufacturing defect that should be corrected by the company.

This seems to be a company wide problem. At the Dundee Cabela's 225,000 sq. ft. Used to be my favorite store. It has turned to guano. Outfitters are few and far between. Gun counter people were completely in over their heads. Asked to see a manager. Waited forty-five minutes, nothing. Finally went to customer service where they again paged a manager. He explained that they were busy and didn't have time for me. I only stop once a year while passing through. Started in 2000 when they first opened. Average about $600 a visit. Not anymore. Used to stop at other Cabela's when I travel as they opened more stores. Noticed when they first open a store there is a lot of help even if they aren't very knowledgeable, they try. Stop a few years later. Nobody home!

Store nearest me I used to visit quite often. Never see the same employees. Always strong sign a company treats their personnel badly. Have given up on the entire brand. Can go to Scheels or Runnings and find what I want and helpful employees. They're not the only game in town. Last couple visits store has been dead. Inventory lacking, with large empty sections of display racks and floor space. Think they are hurting and trying to cut way back to profitability. That never works. If Bass Pro doesn't buy them. Wouldn't be surprised to see Cabela's start closing stores. Goodbye and good riddance!

Placed an order December 16 2016 to ship to a soldier in Texas. After MANY conversations with Cabela's about order not being received, it was shipped to me in Michigan... It's February 23 2017. I am still trying to get this resolved.

Consumer Increased Rating!

I ordered a shirt as a gift for my Dad in December. A shirt that was too big for him, so he exchanged the shirt for a smaller size. When Cabela's exchanged the shirt, instead of shipping it back to my Dad's address (where the shirt was originally shipped), Cabela's accidentally sent it to my billing address. Since I do not reside at my billing address, I cannot retrieve the shirt... Cabela's arbitrarily sent the shirt to the wrong address.

Upon calling customer service, I was given a horrible runaround. Instead of solving the problem, I was asked to have a friend or neighbor send the shirt to me, then I would send the shirt to my dad. Thus incurring two more shipping charges in order to fix Cabela's mistake. The customer service rep was rude and interrupted me throughout my call and would not help me resolve the issue, insisting that since the order was delivered to one of the addresses on my account, that was close enough and she therefore considered the shirt delivered and the order fulfilled.

This is obviously preposterous. The rep refused to send a new shirt to my dad and refused to offer any solution that did not involve me driving great distances or shipping on my own in order to fix this simple mistake. When I asked to speak to her supervisor, she connected me with a woman who identified herself as a "Supervisor at Cabela's." She would not identify what department she supervised and when I pressed for more information regarding her job title, she hung up on me. I will certainly chase this matter up the management chain there until I receive a resolution.

It took over two hours to go from picking a firearm, filling out the forms, to paying a 25% down payment on the firearm. There were four employees working in the Check area. They proceeded to b.s. and discuss the private payment methods customers use. They took astronomical amounts of time to call up another Customer. They were rude when they spoke to the customers. This is the worst experience with a store I have ever had. I would not recommend this establishment to anyone...

Purchased a firearm from the La Vista store in Nebraska. Paid for it immediately and sent my FFL in 2 weeks ago. Contacted Anthony **, the gun library rep, and questioned him about disposition. They misplaced my FFL and he said he would have it out next day (Wed). Still waiting on the item. Called back to the store, and spoke with Jamie who said it was shipped on Friday. This is unsatisfactory service. Is this is the way you treat your customers?

I ordered an item over a month ago that came damaged. I've sent several emails and communicated back and forth with several representatives with no resolution. They say they will forward my email to someone to get it resolved and still nothing. I've been a loyal customer for years and maintain Black status with their credit card company (25,000 annual spending required) and they treat me with this little respect? Over a cheap wooden ammo box? I honestly expected superior service from Cabela's and have gotten the worst run around I've ever encountered with a company. I would definitely not recommend them to anyone in the future.

We placed an online gift card on Dec 5, 2016. We ordered it express delivery and it shipped from Sydney NB and made it as far as Colorado. This was verified over a week with Cabela's. I spent an average of 1 1/2 hours a day for 5 days on phone with them to get our gift card reissued before Christmas and I was told and I still have the recording. We are aware it was fraud but we are just too busy to do anything about it before Christmas. I ordered this card Dec. 5. It was stolen that same week in Thornton, Co. and they know the store it was spent in and the person is on camera doing it. I will never shop at Cabela's again. This was a gift card for my brother so on Christmas Eve, we purchased a different $500.00 gift card. Thank you Cabela's for a Merry Christmas.

Consumer Increased Rating!

After clearing up this big misunderstand I am happy to report that Cabela's customer support went above and beyond to rectify the problem. I am very happy now with the solution and although I was very frustrated at one point I will still shop with them and recommend them because they did make it worth my aggravation!! THANKS!!

james of Huntington, MA on

Original Review

I made an online purchase of a black powder revolver well ahead of Christmas. I placed my order when the item was listed 0-1 weeks backordered, figuring the estimate was close to accurate. DEAD WRONG! I tried to be patient and started checking the status of my order more frequently as Christmas was getting very close. I watched my same item that was on sale for $149.99 at the time I ordered go back to the regular price of $199.99 on two occasions. When it went back to the regular price it suddenly became available in limited supplies. This seemed very odd to me. I believed that even though I had reserved one they had actually received a supply and were at first trying to sell them at the full price before shipping them to the people that had backordered them at the sale price. When it happened once again I wrote to the company and they told me it should be back in stock on January 4th and I would receive it up to six days after that.

So now I would have to wait almost six weeks from the date I purchased it to receive it. It was supposed to be a Christmas gift for my veteran son and now I was getting a little upset with them. How could a large company like this be so poor at tracking their stock supply? So I continued to watch the item availability regularly and it listed it as backorderable until December 26 when of course again it became available in limited supply. This meant anyone could buy it immediately at $199.99 and have it before I would get mine for the price I reserved it at of $149.99 one month earlier. Now this warranted a phone call for I wanted to get to the bottom of it. What I got from them over the phone was a bunch of excuses about their unforeseen supply problem. I called the woman out and told her the item I deserve immediately was currently available online at a higher price and she told me it was a system glitch.

I then asked her if they had so many problems then what about my newest January 4th estimated arrival date. She told me that it wasn't guaranteed so I told her to just cancel my order. I did not feel safe wondering when my card would be charged because I was now looking elsewhere for the revolver as well. I didn't want to chance ending up with two of them. Well funny thing is she had no problem canceling the order even though I had hinted very strongly that the right thing to do would be to offer me a comparable item at the sale price. She apologized that she couldn't help me and then ironically asked me if she could help me with anything else. At this point I flat out told her she should be working on giving me some sort of deal because of the ordeal Cabela's had put me through but all she could do was keep with the script. "I am truly sorry for the inconvenience."

It would of been more accurate if she had said "I am truly sorry Cabela's ruined your son's Christmas!" So then I hang up the phone and reply to the email that their customer service had sent me a few days prior and explained the same story that I am telling here. I got a response and of course another apology that was supposed to sound sincere. Supposedly my note will be forwarded to management where it will get a few chuckles and thrown into the trash. I am glad I kept all notes on my purchase and took screenshots that are time stamped to prove they are offering items for sale that aren't available or even worse...holding them for better money and not supplying them to people like myself that reserved them while they were on sale. Shame on them!

I called on 12-16-16 @ 9 AM the number given on their mailers for customer service in order to ask them to stop mailing me their mailers twice per week for many months now. I was on hold (with music and a recording telling me a CS agent would be with me in just a minute) until 9:30 AM before hanging up. Next I tried their website "chat with a rep" feature and the same thing happened with no agents logging on to handle my request. Gave up and in the evening of the same day tried the phone method again. This time I waited until finally a rep came on the line to handle the request.

I've noticed that when shopping at the store in Eugene, OR their floor salespeople gather in small groups and BS with each other instead of walking around to assist any customers. I've been in their store for an hour and better and the same small groups of associates stay in their huddles without budging. These idiots are lazy, cliquish and outta work at a car wash! They know nothing about customer service and must believe the customer is there for their convenience.

Ordered 4 spinning reels on black Friday. They went straight to back order. On Monday I found the same deal someplace else that had them in stock so I called to cancel my order. The customer service person said they were all currently shipping so I didn't cancel my order. Wednesday comes and I receive a email saying 1 shipped, 1 was still on back order and the other 2 were canceled. I call again to see what was going on and receive a apology but was told the other back order was shipping out that day. Thursday comes and I receive another email saying they canceled that back order. So here I am with 1/4 of what I ordered and all holiday sales are done at other retailers. Due to Cabela's lying customer service I now need to spend a extra $90 for something I was promised was getting sent to me. Would highly advise to stay away from their online ordering and will never set foot in that place again.

One of the items I ordered hasn't showed up, I emailed customer service about overbilling my credit card and shipping problems 7 days ago and still haven't been answered. Will never order online from them.

I have been a Cabela's customer for 6 years. Most of my experiences have been good. I have a Cabela's Club Visa Card and have used it, paid it off, and used it again. I have a very good credit rating and have never been a day late on a payment. Recently I received a call from them telling me they have closed my account stating I requested it. They will not provide me any details on the call. They also stated that they made a decision to close my account, but cannot tell me why, nor would they mail me a letter. They provided no details, no explanation, and were extremely rude on the telephone. I spoke with a lady named Carolyn.

She was the most unprofessional individual I have ever encountered. Bottom line: Cabela's Club Visa made a decision to close a high limit account with no explanation, and now call me daily for it to be paid off. This is just the beginning of trying to make people aware these people will make decisions on your life, your credit worthiness, and credit report and give you NO EXPLANATION as of why!! My account was in perfect standing! To top all of it off, they took back $175.00 of Club points that I earned! I will sell everything I own with their name on it, and never buy anything again from these people!

Recently I had ordered a product from Cabela's. I ordered the product over the phone from a representative. They took my payment and gave me a delivery date only to find out four days later the order had been canceled. I called customer service to see why the order was canceled and they told me the product was no longer available and had been discontinued. I asked for something equivalent to what I had ordered that was in stock and they would not accommodate me in any way. Bottom line from what I got from customer service is anything you order may not be delivered and they cannot guarantee anything.

For the third time, I contacted Cabela's to place an order for an item listed in their catalog, only to find out that this item was also on backorder. Just as in the previous two cases, I was told that they did not know when the item would be shipped. I was burned the first two times as I placed the order, patiently waited, and received an e-mail that the item would no longer be stocked. In one case, this took over a month. I have been a signature black card holder for many years, but will be switching to a Gander Mountain card, as they had both items that I waited a combined two months for. As for the third item I was going to order, Gander Mountain agreed to price match and (drumroll) it was in stock! I don't know what happened in the Cabela's Corporate business plan, but it was bad advice. This customer is going elsewhere and my card is now cut in pieces.

I drove about 2 hours to get to the Chattanooga location. They were very rude. They denied me my right to openly carry. For which they were out of everything that I needed. They refused to look in the back. I asked for clarification and they provided me none. Will never buy from or visit another Cabela's. For which they were rude. The manager was a complete idiot. Why must they put an young uneducated individual in management position?

Cabela's in sun prairie, wi. was contacted for the reason of selling my late Father's curios and relics collection. I told them that the military, handguns, and ammo would need to be sold. They agreed to come to the house and buy my newly acquired arsenal. After arriving, the older gun knowledgeable guy explained to me their pricing would be .65 on every retail dollar. In simpler terms that's 65% which they agreed to pay me via check of retail price, which they would sell each weapon for. They bought 37 firearms that day ranging in various prices. I thought the prices were lowballed, but he kept saying that his buying pricing was very aggressive, so I reluctantly accepted. They refused to buy the ammunition.

The lead phone no. they gave me to sell the ammo I later found out was fake. Approximately 10 days later I went into Cabela's gun library and I found many of my late father's guns for sale. To my dismay they had the svt. 40 at $1400, (a 100% markup) but only gave me 50% of that. Another example, a fully custom army 1911 .45 pistol that I was given $300+, they now we're selling for $750. There are many other examples of their blatant dishonesty and scandalous behavioral activity within this transaction which costed me a large loss of between 8 - 10 k total. I will never buy from Cabela's again. Don't trust these guys.

Returned a pair of Cabela's brand chest high waders that leaked for replacement. Never heard back. Very poor service. These were not another brand but have Cabela's in big letters on them. They don't honor their own brand!

I just got off the phone with three different customer service agents. None of them cured the situation that they created. I have been dealing with them for 10+ years and only had one or two minor issues that were always taken care of over the phone leaving me with a smile. In the last two months I have 4-5 complete orders cancelled, and not even a e-mail or phone call. The last two orders they cancelled three scope, muzzleloader bullets, and other boat supplies. A day or two later I saw similar scopes that were cheaper, but was told the squs were not the same. They could not give me the same 30mm scope for the same price due to the minor difference. The scope I purchased was 489.99, but the other scope was 329.00. I told them I was asking for the lower end unit for the same price. I was told one was a tactical and the other a outfitter series.

They have gone way too far with their lousy customer service since they were bought out by BASS PRO! I will no longer buy from them unless it is with club points. I first was going to cancel my card, but came up with the idea to use card to receive points to burn them by getting free items from them but not spending any money with them. HAHAHAHAHA. I would usually spend 25,000+ at Cabela's. NOT ANYMORE. CRASH AND BURN LIKE WALMART **.

I purchased a rifle from the Green Bay Wisconsin Cabela's. The salesperson was indifferent and rude and went to the 'vault' to retrieve the gun selected. I was purchasing a new gun. The gun was sealed before going to the cashier. Upon getting home and unboxing the rifle, a large white tag say 'USED' was on the trigger guard and stamped into the steel was 'FACTORY SECOND'. I notified the store and the manager and that person told me I was lying because I purchased a new gun, and upon telling him the information noted above he told me that I stupid for making the suggestion. He was going to nothing at all! I verbally let him have it... So, now going to customer service, more fun and excitement. First call, getting a manager and that manager apologizing and wanting to make good, great. Nothing after a week, then calling again and the customer rep saying that an investigation has been launched that would take up to a month???

Another call, another manager, "Very sorry. Can't believe you were treated that way. Just send in photos of the 'USED' tag and the serial number on the rifle and we will take care of this immediately." Information sent. A reply came back "Thank you for submitting your information. A investigation has been initiated that make take some time.”???

Another phone call, another manager. This time the manager told me "What do you want?" Looked over my file and stated "What do you expect us to do. You need to wait!!!" "What" I then said and ask anyone reading this to consider. I will never set foot into a Cabela's again, never shop or support Cabela's and now I need to get an attorney to take care of this matter and let your company explain this to a judge your logic. Happily I have been able to tell this story to about 10 friends and see the look their faces... I hope they tell everyone they know. I am amazed that I treated this way after being a longtime patron. I was ripped off by Cabela's and treated like dirt.

Cabela's World's Foremost Outfitter Company Profile