Cabela's World's Foremost Outfitter
Cabela's World's Foremost Outfitter
1.21/5

Cabela's

95 Cabela's World's Foremost Outfitter Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

Bought a pair of fleece lined women's slippers while traveling as we have no Cabela's near us. This was in December, fast forward to September when I got the slippers out of the closet for cool weather. Put them on and the soles cracked and pieces actually broke off and my toes popped through. Contacted Cabela's telling them of problem and offering to send pictures of damaged slippers. Was told I needed several numbers off of receipt, date of purchase, place of purchase etc. Unfortunately I don't keep every receipt from every purchase and especially when I am 500 miles from home and don't expect to be returning to that store. So basically, "Out of luck I guess," according to customer service. Expected better from a brand with Cabela's reputation. Providing a picture of crumbling shoe sole should have been worth more than a brush off email.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

Payment of 68.00 due Aug 14, Payment made 100.00 Aug 5. I received a late fee, because according to Cap 1... I made the payment too early and it went to principal only. I was told that any payment that is made before the "cycle" ends goes to principal only. And this cycle changes month to month. In August, the "cycle" ended on the 13th according to them, and my payment was due on the 14th. Yes, that leaves us cardholders with a 24 hour window to make a payment or it's a late fee. Sounds like a trap to me. I called the Cabela's corp. office and told them I'm transferring the balance to another card and closing the account. I have not received a follow up call. I'm extremely disappointed that Cabela's would partner with a company like that.

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

This is incredible. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH CABELA’S in particular their Club Card group. I needed some warranty work done on a product I bought from Cabela’s. The manufacturer wanted a copy of the itemized receipt, (makes sense). I called Cabela's and spent two hours on the phone between Cabela’s and the bank that issued the club card and neither one could or would produce the itemized receipt, even though I gave them the purchase date and amount. Totally frustrated, I told them my recent payment would -0- balance my card and to cancel my card as soon as it showed in the system. I also asked for written confirmation they had closed my account.

Here we are two months later and I went online to check and my card has not been canceled. I've mailed them asking what the issue is and why my card had not been canceled. Their response was I couldn’t do that in an email, I had to call. I guess the two hours on the phone with them the first time wasn’t enough. Run from this company! The fact they can’t produce an itemized receipt is scary enough but the fact they do not listen to the customer or do what they say they will do is totally unacceptable.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

I have just returned from a very disappointing visit to Cabelas in Abbotsford. The staff on the floor were great and helpful. I was there for opening at 9 am and the doors opened at 9:04, I did my shopping and went to the till with the items, I waited and waited while the one person in front of me was put off to the side while his cashier went to help the other cashier. I waited and waited and finally I had enough and put the items on the counter and walked away. The customer that was off to the side saw and agreed with my frustration with a look. It’s amazing that anyone would go back a second time with the total lack of professionalism shown by the cashiers. I will be getting the items I need now from Walmart or Canadian Tire. What they don’t have eBay or Amazon will have. I do not recommend to anyone to ever shop there. Very Disappointed.

Original review: July 31, 2018

I opened the account with a credit limit of $1,000. I have had this card for just over four months now and since then I have made $1,230 worth of payments. That is what smart card owners do, they use their cards and then pay them down or off by the end of the month. I set up auto pay when I opened the account and so far the auto pay has only been used once. One of the due dates that they were supposed to auto pay it, they didn't, and it showed late, even though I made several large payments toward the card.

So they cut my credit limit in half and said it will take three months before I can ask for my original limit back. They also said that my credit score dropped below a certain level which was another reason for the limit cut. I use my credit cards a lot, so often times they will get maxed out and then I pay them down. Capital One does not understand that our credit scores go up and down on a monthly basis, that is normal. So you cut my limit, I cut your card. Besides Dick's Sporting has better prices and way more stores.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cabela's?

Original review: July 31, 2018

I ordered a Ravin hard case in February and it’s nearly August with no case!!! Cabela’s was kind enough to steal my money (nearly $400) with no case!! I can’t even transport my $1500 crossbow which I bought from Cabela’s. Just a bunch of crooks!! I would never order from Cabela’s!!!

Original review: July 17, 2018

I have been a Cabela’s customer for 30 years. I wanted to purchase a couple of sleeping bags that were on sale. Was told my credit card had expired, they forgot to send me a renewal. Contacted customer service and had a new card issued. Found out the sale would expire before I received my new card asked for a rain check and was told sorry...got the bags on Amazon. Recently bought a fish finder and didn't get the vets discount, was told I needed to go to the store. If the online store isn't a store, then wtf is it? Never had any problems with Cabela’s until they sold out...I am done with Cabela’s.

Original review: June 29, 2018

Cabela's Club card is by far the worst credit card to exist. When you don’t use the card they will pull your credit report every 60 days and then decrease your limit, this makes your credit score go down because it looks like you are using all of the available credit. Will be paying this off and NEVER going anywhere near Cabela's or World's Foremost Bank again.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Ever since Cabela's switched to Capital One as their credit card servicer, customer service, dependability, and overall satisfaction has sucked!!! I have excellent credit and payment history and couldn't even get a increase in credit. Once I closed my account Cabela's took my remaining 45.00 dollars in points away. No one told me when I was closing my account I had to forfeit my points I had earned by purchasing from Cabela's. I do not recommend anyone applying for a credit card from Cabela's. You are safer spending your saved cash.

However, Discover offers so much better cash back bonuses that you can actually use as $$$ and have transferred into your checking account. They by far are the best (Discover) credit card on the market for CASH BACK REWARDS. Cabela's Visa card does not allow this and you have to use your points back to their store. (CROOKS) Unless your entire wardrobe is from Cabela's stay far away from this card. Remember this only started happening when they transferred their services to Capital One. In fact Cabela's was my favorite card when Cabela's managed the services. Government regulations prohibited them from managing credit services. So too, government over reach again is affecting our private sector and capitalism.

Original review: May 10, 2018

Cabela’s in New Baltimore, Michigan, sells "factory blemished" handguns stating they are new and merely have a maybe-detectable cosmetic blemish. The "factory-blemished" handgun I took home and started to clean has had a LOT of rounds fired through it. After discovering this, I tried to return it. They stood firmly on their sales receipt that says it's a used gun, no returns or refunds. GOT ME!

It may have been a mistake on the salesman's part, not knowing the guns are used, BUT they refused to correct it. I called the gun manufacturer who confirmed they do sell "used" guns through Cabela’s - not "factory-blemished," which leaves the factory-blemished label cooked up by Cabela’s. I chatted online with Cabela’s Corporate who said they would forward a transcript of the chat to the New Baltimore store. No response. Thank you for reading.

Original review: April 29, 2018

If you try to return a merchandise without a receipt, Cabela's rips you off by offering to refund their LOWEST price ever sold for that item. So if they sold just one of that product for $1 on Black Friday, you will be offered that $1 for the product that you might have paid $100. Really, this is their policy! Can't make this up! I actually tried to return a rod and reel in order to upgrade -- spend more money at Cabela's. Because I didn't have my receipt, I was basically treated like a crook who bought it on sale in order to return the product to make a profit. Can you believe that? This is how they view their customers!

Original review: April 23, 2018

I have requested several times that they close my account and they refuse. They state that they cannot lower my credit limit nor can they close my account without speaking to me and then I need to provide them with a signed document stating I want to close my account. This is above and beyond anything that should be required. I have cut up my card but I do not feel comfortable having an open account that could be potentially compromised.

Original review: April 15, 2018

This is the only credit account I have that makes you fill out a paper form to set-up auto-pay. I'm appalled that Cabela's (who has historically had amazing customer service) has set-up their credit card in such a way that makes it more likely they will get a credit card fee... (obvious reason for this ridiculous process). If I could roll back the clock, I would have made my purchases on another revolving credit account that is more modern and customer friendly. My advice: This card is for old-school customers that like paying with a check or managing all their accounts the "old-fashioned" (i.e. you still buy groceries with a check). If you like managing your accounts online and setting up autopay online, don't get this card.

If you are already a customer, here are the steps for getting autopay set-up for Cabela's CLUB Visa: 1. Log into your Cabela's Club Visa account home page. 2. Hover over "Manage My Account". 3. Click on "Other CLUB Services" 4. Click on Enroll in Autopay. This step will load a PDF form you will have to print off, put pen to paper and mail to Cabela's (That's right! Stamp, envelope, old school paperwork...). At this point be sure to keep paying your payments or you might get a late fee while they process this ridiculous form submission.

If this sounds reasonable to you... great, you're a Cabela's CLUB Visa customer and this card is for you. If you're like me, you paid off the card and closed the account because you don't like having to manage revolving credit accounts with old school paperwork and you hate "bad profits" (i.e. late fees that could easily be avoided with an online autopay feature like every other major credit card company on the planet). I'm still a Cabela's customer, but I hope they get with times with this embarrassing, dated, and sorry excuse for a store credit card.

Original review: March 28, 2018

We purchased a pair of boots from Cabela's that didnt fit, we returned them for an exchange and they sent us the very same size. I then tried to call the closest store 1.5 hrs drive one way, to see if they stocked the correct size, but they would not answer the phone. I called the customer service for orders and she could not get them to respond either. She said it appeared they had the right size in the store but could not verify it. Since we didnt want to drive 3 hrs for nothing she said she would send the correct pair.

When we got the correct pair my husband returned the other boots to the store so we wouldnt get charged for return shipping. Then, Cabela's sends us an email asking for permission to charge our card saying we never returned the boots & also wanted to charge for return shipping, Huh? This was 6 mos later. I still had the receipt for the returned boots. They apologized so I thought we were done but it didnt end there, I got more email and phone calls saying the clerk refunded our card but we never paid for the second pair therefore we got the boots for free. I have no way of checking this since we bank online all previous transactions were deleted during a software upgrade. So now, Cabela's sent us to collections for $60. Unbelievable! They dont seem to know what they are doing and just lost a customer over (if they are right) a mistake made by their store clerk. If they are right, why do they need my permission to charge my card?

Original review: March 17, 2018

I ordered a rifle on 02/23/18. On 03/16/18 I checked the status of my order and discovered it had been cancelled. I received no notification. After telephoning I was informed the rifle was out of stock and I would have reorder. No thank you. I will not do business with a company that fails to complete their contract. This company is irresponsible and shifty. Do not do business with this underhanded outfit.

Original review: March 12, 2018

I ordered boots online that were on sale, after several weeks I was notified that my order was cancelled. I reestablished my order since I was not in a hurry for the boots. A week later the same thing happened due to a backorder. This happened again another week later, at that time I live chatted with customer service and they were not in the least bit helpful and did not seem to care. I will not spend a dollar with this company again!!

Original review: March 8, 2018

I ordered a reloading item and was informed it would be at store for pick up In 3 days. Nope, try seven. And 5% military discount doesn't apply. Went to store and purchased reloading supplies for over $100. No military service discount. In fact, does not apply too much except clothing and some fishing gear! The 5% discount used to compensate for the 10% over anyone else's retail price! I'll be shopping elsewhere for economy.

Original review: March 2, 2018

I went to the Cabela's store to purchase an item, was not in stock so went to customer service to order online. Was told it was in their warehouse and would take 5-8 days to be delivered. Eight days later it is not here. Go to their website to check status, Back ordered. No email, no call, nothing. So I wait 60 days still not here, by now the manufacturer's rebate is over so I cancel my order and go to the store to get a refund. I am told they cannot refund me I have to call customer service. I call customer service. They say I have to go to store because I paid for it there. Go back to store, get attitude from them. I have to call customer service, customer service sends me an email stating the store is to refund me. Go to store they will not do it. Three trips to store, three phone calls I finally am told they will refund my money partial gift card the rest on a check mailed to me.

Not happy about this. I paid cash and a gift card not a check and gift card. 10 days later I have the gift card no check. Call again, I am told they mailed the check wait another 5 days. Wait 5 days, no check. Call AGAIN. This time am told something went wrong and they have not sent the check yet. Wait 10 more days. Are you kidding me, Lied to, given wrong info, spent hours driving and on phone, still no refund. Seems to me if you sell something you do not have you would be expected to refund money. If I were to do this I would get arrested. Shame on you Cabela's. Turned a loyal customer who has your Visa card and enjoyed your store to someone who will avoid you like the plague. Still no refund. Think I will go to store and take 200 bucks from register and tell them I will mail a check in 10 days... Forgot, that is illegal!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

This Cabela's Visa card is nothing but a house of cards. I have very good credit and about a year ago I received a pre-approved offer for a $3000.00 line of credit. I received the card and the $3,000.00 line of credit. Soon after Cabela's appeared to have run into financial trouble. They had their own bank known as World Most Bank. I think that is the correct name. However, they sold their credit portfolio to Capital One Bank. Since that selling of the credit line to Capital One Bank my credit line was dropped to $2,700.00 and today some 3 months after the first drop they dropped it again to $2,300.00 for reason unknown. I think there must be embedded some financial troubles with their credit card portfolio. I contact them and totally got the runaround. I would stay away from this Cabela's Visa Card.

First you cannot trust them as they have shown now 2 reasons for me. Second: Think about this: You are going to buy something and you think your Cabela's Visa will allow you to place the purchase on your credit up to the credit limit. But the merchant process your card for payment and you learn that you have been denied the credit on your card because your credit line has been downgraded without merit or warning to you. This did not happen to me but it could happen to anyone of us using their card.

I have done some research. Any find that they are doing this across the board on their credit card customer. I plan on closing out this card and selecting Dick's Sporting Goods Credit Card. They have a good reputation with their credit card customer base. Good Luck with using Cabela's Visa card and I hope they don't place you in a awkward position if you select to use their card and find out it's been declined because they select to cut your credit line without advising you and doing it without merit.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

I purchased several gift cards ($25) for family and friends as Xmas gifts. I then find out that Cabela's charges for shipping, well it's $6.00 for shipping to my city. Then tax is added to the bill. I can only purchase $15 towards a $25 gift card because the rest goes to shipping. So Cabela's gets the $25 plus the shipping and we get to spend only $15. Still trying to understand how they can get away with that, I guess it's all about the money and not the customer.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

They keep canceling orders and not an email or call to let me know order was cancel. So after many thousands of dollars spent I decided to get corporate involved, what a waste of time. I asked to be compensated with a discount in another merchandise and they said no. I guess since Bass Pro took over customer satisfaction is not their priority.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

I purchased a handgun at Cabela's. It was defective. Cabela's sent it off to be fixed. Now over 8 weeks later when I called Cabela's multiple times to check on the gun, they tell me they don't know where the gun is or when I'll get it back but they'll call me if and when Remington returns it to them. No concern whatsoever that I bought this gun from them as a trusted retailer. I called Remington directly and was told Cabela's sent the gun to the wrong place. Horrible horrible experience and will never buy anything from Cabela's again!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

I purchased a camo jacket online from Cabela's. I got a confirmation email about the purchase. A few days later I get a status email stating the item had NOT been shipped yet. Then I get another email stating the item had been cancelled, but get this they still showed a shipping charge... so I guess they can cancel your order anytime they want just by saying it's now out of stock or sold out. I will never buy from Cabelas again. I wouldn't even give them a 1 star rating after this crap. I've had enough of them.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I could not find exchange information on their website or on the phone so I called customer service. A man named Steve answered after a short wait and was very courteous and helpful. I ended the call smiling. What might have been a hassle became a pleasure. I am disabled so I often call customer service at various stores. I HIGHLY recommend calling Cabela's CS. They have great products at low prices and their CS is excellent as well. They are Americans and are easily understood. HOORAY! Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

I came on here looking to read reviews about Cabela's, and only read bad reviews. Clearly only the people who like to complain come on here. I have nothing but good things to report about Cabela's. The prices are as good as I will find anywhere (Canada) and when I had concerns about an order of mine, they resent the order for me asap. No complaints with them at all! Thank you Cabela's for following up quickly!!! I purchase a lot from them in person when I am within a reasonable distance, but was also pleased with their delivery since I live a long distance from them. I will order confidently from them again!!!

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

Cabela is known for fake deals. They are always posting great deals. They will allow you to place your order even if they don't have stuff in their inventory. I had really bad experience with them. I placed North Face Jacket order at 12/12/17 and everything went fine. I got my order number and I was excited for my North Face Jacket. The order was showing that I will get my stuff by 12/20/17. Then the story began. Nothing happened till 12/17, no order tracking, simply nothing. I called to their customer care to get my order and then I got answer, "Your order is canceled as they were not having enough stock. Also we haven't deducted your money". I asked to customer care representative that, "Why my order was placed if you were not having enough stock." Simply no answer. Come on, is this the way to handle the business?

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

My wife Ordered a handgun. We have Bought plenty of them from there at least 5-10 a year. It's before Christmas. She had gotten a order confirmation number from them. 2 weeks later when it's the pickup date She goes to pick it up and apparently the order has been cancelled without notice or even a reason why. In the last two weeks besides this order I have spent thousands here and will now be returning all of my items and will not shop here ever again. Terrible.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

I talked online to get a refund for an item I bought that they had discounted a week later. The person told me they would refund me the difference, even though I was past their 7 day policy (I think it was 10 days). I was happy. When the refund came through they only refunded me 54% of the difference. They told me one thing and did another. Dishonest.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

While Christmas shopping on Cabelas.ca I encountered a deal on heated insoles. The deal required purchasing insoles at $169 and receiving a free additional pack of batteries. I made the purchase and within a few weeks I received the order. The free spare batteries were not included in my order. I called customer service and they explained that as soon as they received the batteries, they would send them??? "Why advertise a special when there is no stock to supply," was my first question.

The customer service gentleman I spoke with was cordial and assured I would receive them shortly. 2 days later I receive an email saying that the portion of my order that included the free batteries had been cancelled from my order. So the special that they offered was not really a special at all. I find this to be a very poor practice. If I offer a special from my business, had clients purchase this special, then only provided a portion of the goods, and kept the full purchase price the same, I would not be in business very long. I am very unhappy with this transaction. I have included pictures of my order and the subsequent email I sent to the “customer care team” which has gone unanswered.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I have had an account with Cabela's for 3 plus years. Just recently I decided to start paying down my credit limit. I made payments 764.00 over 3 months to get the balance down. Well today I get my statement and see that something is wrong. My available credit was only 98.00. I knew it had to be wrong because I had just paid the 764.00 and had not used my card, so I called.

Well to my surprise I was transferred to Capital One not to Cabela's. Without notice they decreased my limit (AFTER I PAID THEM OVER 764.00). Shady, shady, shady... On time payments always, never missed a payment! So now it appears that I am using 100% of my available credit limit. This dropped my credit score and is VERY SHADY!!! I am not a happy consumer and just found out that they did this to my husband as well. Beware. I will pay off my account and Cabela's has lost our business. I see we are not the only ones they have done this to! BAD BUSINESS PRACTICES!!!

Cabela's World's Foremost Outfitter Company Information