Cabela's World's Foremost Outfitter
1.05/5

Cabela's

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

111 Cabela's World's Foremost Outfitter Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I ordered 4 different types of ammo on one order (**). Two of them were .45 cal. Although one was marked as being shipped/received by Cabela's, it was marked on "my orders" as waiting for the other .45 cal ammo (backordered) to arrive, and would be shipped together. Never received either batch. It's been a nightmare and a lot of wasted time trying to find out what happened to my order. Bass Pro Shops - please make changes at the senior level of Cabela's to ensure the quality of service = the traditional BPS service. Won't be ordering anything else from Cabela's. No value.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I placed an order on 12/21/2018. It stated it would come direct from the manufacturer in 4-7 days. I called on 12/29 to ask about the shipment. They had no record of it being shipped. I called on 12/31 to check on status of order. I was told they would call back with an estimated time of arrival. I never heard back from them. I called on 1/2/2019 to check status. I was told they had not heard back from the manufacturer. I received an email from Cabela's stating it had been shipped on 12/27/2018, Another lie from them.

I received the tracking number and tracked the package. It had not been shipped until 1/2/2019. It will not arrive until 1/5/2019. I'm not holding my breath! I realize it was Xmas time, but to directly lie to a customer so they won't cancel the order is just wrong. I was off for two weeks for Xmas, needing the part for my fish finder. Had to fish without it several times. I would RECOMMEND not purchasing anything from Cabela's unless you want to wait to get it forever!

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

Recently I purchased a product from Cabela's which required assembly. It was the ninth such product I had purchased, so I have a familiarity with the assembly process. The manufacturer modified the product and created a maddening assembly process. It took brute force included a hammer and crowbar to attach a simple bracket. So, I wrote a review on Cabela's site and it was rejected. So, I edited my review and it was rejected again. I wrote a third review and it was rejected again. My review was honest, specific and factual. It was not mean-spirited.

Cabela's has not provided me specific reasons why my review was rejected. However, this experience has changed the way I perceive customer reviews. If a retailer censors its reviews and only publishes those it deems positive, how is the buying public going to get a fair assessment of what previous buyer's experiences have been? The email exchanges I've had over this issue have been vague and unhelpful. I've requested to speak to someone at Cabela's for an explanation. Take customer reviews with a grain of salt... You may not be getting the full picture.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I got a bass pro gift card and on the back it says you can use it online for cabelas.com. Well, that's not true. It wouldnt accept my gift card when I tried placing an order online and gave me a number to call. I called the number and they said that you have to do it on the phone or in person, even though it clearly says on the gift card that you can. And the lady even said, "Oh I know, but you cant." I placed my order on the 26 and it had guaranteed Express shipping so I was suppose to receive my items on the 28. I received an order confirmation email on the 28 but no shipping information so I called customer service.

They looked up my order and said it was showing them that I would not receive my items until the 2 so said I had to talk to a senior representative. I held and when I got to talk to someone she said all she can do is give me a $10 gift card for the inconvenience but that it was too far into the shipping to cancel... How? If it says I'm not suppose to get it until the 2!? Anyways , I am so mad. If I had known that I could have just picked that memory card up from Walmart yesterday when I was in town because my husband wanted it for this weekend. Now I am going to have to go back to town which is an hour away while I am 34 weeks pregnant to get the dang thing and then return the one I ordered when it finally gets here. No, I want my money back!!! And she didnt even act like it was a problem! I wont be placing any more orders with them! I'll stick to Amazon!!!

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

I have been with Cabela's for many years. I had no problem with their visa card however when they changed to Capital One master card my problems began. They wanted all my info I had on the other Cabela's visa card which was alright. I have excellent credit pay it off monthly and early many years of this. Anyway I received the new card and the first time I used it was rejected. I was ticked. I tried several time to straighten this out. The last time I talked to someone in Costa Rica (hard to understand) he said for me to send my driver license to him. I told him no way and to cancel the card. He warned me I would lose any points I had. I told I didn't care. I'd had enough. This ordeal made me not want to shop at Cabela's at all.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cabela's?

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

Since Cabela's merged with Bass Pro, the credit card experience has been awful. Unfortunately, I lost my credit card, and I asked for a replacement card to be sent. That was 8 days ago. Little did I know that a new card won't even be placed in the mail for 4-7 days... There is no hope of receiving one for nearly two weeks IF the U.S. mail happens to not lose the letter. Who knows where the card actually is at this point. My experience when our Discover was compromised last year was entirely on the other end of the spectrum --- Discover sent replacement cards within 2 days via FedEx, signature required. I felt very good about that. As far as I'm concerned, all of Cabela's previously great services have decreased significantly since this combining with Bass Pro. I don't want to rate them with 1 star but apparently one star at least is required. About one sentence away from canceling the card entirely.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

Went to Cabela's mainly for the Bargain Cave Saturday to find out that when Bass Pro Shops bought out Cabela's, they decided to get rid of the Bargain Cave. ARE YOU CRAZY? I asked one of the sales people. They said to let Bass Pro Shop know how disappointed I was online. Hey Bass Pro Shop "WHAT ARE YOU THINKING"? That brings a lot of customers in. Not so smart managing.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

CABELA'S CREDIT CARD ISSUE. I have an 800+ credit rating and always prompt credit card issues. I have a valid credit that expires in 3 years. Without any notice Visa sends a generic letter saying they basically sold out and my current card is canceled and balance is due ASAP... And a new card from Capital One is being issued in a couple days. The person at Visa was so rude, it prompted me to write this. Basically demanded full payment on the phone and this went on for 2 hours without any detailed info as to why, or what this transition was implemented.

They even wanted to charge 16 dollars to send the new card out in 2 days instead of waiting the standard 7 to 10 days. WTF. It's Dec 19th and I was going to build up Cabela's points, but now, the heartache and BS their customer service provided was so poor I would never shop or use the points at CABELA'S/Capital One. I'LL NEVER USE THE NEW CARD. I'LL NEVER SHOP AT CABELA'S. Don't care about the points. Such POOR poor poor customer service. GOODBYE CAPITAL ONE. STOP SCAMMING PEOPLE.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

I have bought several guns at the Cabela's in Wheeling, WV in the past. Most transactions went relatively smoothly. My wife and I took a trip today with $1000 to buy a new pistol for her, only to find out that the new policy, since the buyout with Bass Pro, will not let you handle the gun without the lock in place. Every gun in the store has a lock on. It is impossible to get the feel of the action with a lock on. Even after talking to a manager, who was sympathetic and understanding, but unwilling to remove the lock even for a serious buyer. You wouldn't buy a car if they never even let you sit in the seat, Would You??? It's Cabela's loss. I bought a S/W on the way back home at a local gun store (saving $100). Unless they change the policy I will never buy a gun from Cabela's again.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I have bought all my hunting equipment from Cabela's over many years. I recommend Cabela's to all my hunters who need something on their way to camp. This year walking into Cabela's I was very disappointed. There is no longer any Cabela's camo, Under Armour camo anywhere. You have to styles of camo to choose from which is Bass Pro brand and that's it. Camo section is 1/4 of size it was when store was just Cabela's. Cabela's is no longer world's foremost outfitter. It is now Bass Pro clothing store. Fine store for city folks to look at pretty flannel shirts. Not for a hunter or outfitter to buy quality camo. Way to go on destroying a great store.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I had the same experience as one of the other recent reviewers on here -- I ordered multiple boxes of ammo and one of the boxes arrived opened with loose ammo rattling all over inside the box. There was no bubble wrap at all, only one flimsy piece of paper that provided no package protection; they didn't even tape the ammo box to keep it from opening in shipment. Horrible disregard for the safety of delivery of ammo. I called customer service to complain, and while the lady was nice and claimed to have filed a report against the warehouse whose worker was so reckless with packaging, she informed me their return policy for receiving damaged ammo is that they require you to drop off the ammo at a police station and fill out a form to relinquish the ammo to them for disposal. They would not provide a return unless that form was filled out at the police station and given to them.

I had to further complain that this return policy is not acceptable as it would waste my time and gas to travel to a police station and back, and my time inside the station filling out the form. All to get back a $13.59 refund. What a ridiculous joke. This completely defeats the purpose of shopping online for convenience. I had to push to get the point across and eventually she agreed to give me a courtesy gift card for the inconvenience and their error, which I am waiting on receiving in the mail. Had I not pushed the issue, I wouldn't have received any courtesy anything. They would have just wasted my travel time and gas, and extra time filling out the form, for free at my inconvenience and hassle.

This is a horrible, absurd return policy. Asking/suggesting your customers to dispose at a police station while providing a full refund is good, but requiring them to do so before a refund is not okay. After I use up the gift card (in store) I will never buy anything from Cabela's ever again, and unfortunately they ruined my ammo-buying-online experience so now I will only buy in stores. It is quite embarrassing how Cabela's doesn't train their employees to take caution when packaging AMMO. I mean seriously, what?! I am still in shock at the level of stupidity this company possesses because this is not an isolated incident. I just read a few other Cabela's reviews of the same problem happening for a few years now. Ugh!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I have purchased thousands of dollars of products over the years and have always received excellent customer service until now. The lifetime warranty on Cabela's branded hunting waders is no longer in effect since they were bought out by Bass Pro Shop. I was offered 20% off a new pair to ease my pain. This does not help me as I am on a fixed income and do not have the extra funds needed to get into a new pair of waders that come with a Lifetime Guarantee tag attached that is null and void to corporate. Frustrated and upset.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I purchased some snow runner boots a week ago and they were horrible. I tried to return them today without a receipt as I have done many times before for fishing equipment, clothing, etc. and was told I could only have the lowest sales price which was 1/3 of what I paid for the boots. NEVER shopping at Cabela's again.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I thought I'd save a few bucks and order ammo in bulk. Big mistake. Whoever packed the box along with the plastic ammo box that came with this special deal, literally threw everything in the shipping box in a pile with a small piece of brown paper in between the plastic ammo box and the 10 boxes of 50 rounds loose in the box and shipped. 2 boxes of ammo arrived completed busted and ammo was everywhere in the box. The remaining 8 boxes were all badly damaged but intact. (Why the packaging department did not simply put the boxes of ammo into the ammo box, pack with brown paper or bubble wrap and then simply box up the ammo box and mail is beyond me.)

I will say that Cabela's customer service was fine and they agreed to send out 2 new boxes to replace the ones that were destroyed which was a somewhat acceptable solution to me - though I was swayed by the fact that to return all 10 boxes would have required a surrender form etc and would cost me time I do not have (hence ordering ammo online). I was frankly shocked that Cabela's would have permitted an order of ammunition to be mailed in this condition and as a result, they have lost my trust. I will not order anything ever from them again.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I live in Canada. I was given a USD$ gift card as a gift from a friend in the USA. Cabela’s tells me they will only honor the card at par to Canadian dollar. This is a 25% discount in value versus what my friend paid Cabela’s for the gift card. RIP OFF!

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

Last month I recently purchased a $731.00 7mm Remington 700 SPS and had it in a clean hard case for a month. NEVER fired it. Mint condition. Decided to sell it and drove 40 miles to the SPRINGFIELD Cabela’s. At first the firearm clearer was friendly and polite but upon directing me to the Gun Library Office, I was treated like a child that had no idea what I was doing. I am 20 and I know my way around rifles. After waiting for them to inspect the rifle, the guy told me that he’ll give me 65% of what they were selling it for. I thought I could make an easy $400 at least for the rifle being in mint condition and never fired. BUT NO!

In closing, he told me they would sell it for a little over $400 and I could take home $290 in cash. $290! I told him I expected at least $400, because it has never been fired before. Heck, I even threw in a good sling and sling mounts too. But he stood at $290, and since no one else wanted to buy my rifle from me, I reluctantly said yes and did the paperwork and walked out. I lost about $400 with that visit and I will NEVER. EVER. Go to a Cabela’s ever again.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

Bought a pair of fleece lined women's slippers while traveling as we have no Cabela's near us. This was in December, fast forward to September when I got the slippers out of the closet for cool weather. Put them on and the soles cracked and pieces actually broke off and my toes popped through. Contacted Cabela's telling them of problem and offering to send pictures of damaged slippers. Was told I needed several numbers off of receipt, date of purchase, place of purchase etc. Unfortunately I don't keep every receipt from every purchase and especially when I am 500 miles from home and don't expect to be returning to that store. So basically, "Out of luck I guess," according to customer service. Expected better from a brand with Cabela's reputation. Providing a picture of crumbling shoe sole should have been worth more than a brush off email.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

Payment of 68.00 due Aug 14, Payment made 100.00 Aug 5. I received a late fee, because according to Cap 1... I made the payment too early and it went to principal only. I was told that any payment that is made before the "cycle" ends goes to principal only. And this cycle changes month to month. In August, the "cycle" ended on the 13th according to them, and my payment was due on the 14th. Yes, that leaves us cardholders with a 24 hour window to make a payment or it's a late fee. Sounds like a trap to me. I called the Cabela's corp. office and told them I'm transferring the balance to another card and closing the account. I have not received a follow up call. I'm extremely disappointed that Cabela's would partner with a company like that.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

This is incredible. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH CABELA’S in particular their Club Card group. I needed some warranty work done on a product I bought from Cabela’s. The manufacturer wanted a copy of the itemized receipt, (makes sense). I called Cabela's and spent two hours on the phone between Cabela’s and the bank that issued the club card and neither one could or would produce the itemized receipt, even though I gave them the purchase date and amount. Totally frustrated, I told them my recent payment would -0- balance my card and to cancel my card as soon as it showed in the system. I also asked for written confirmation they had closed my account.

Here we are two months later and I went online to check and my card has not been canceled. I've mailed them asking what the issue is and why my card had not been canceled. Their response was I couldn’t do that in an email, I had to call. I guess the two hours on the phone with them the first time wasn’t enough. Run from this company! The fact they can’t produce an itemized receipt is scary enough but the fact they do not listen to the customer or do what they say they will do is totally unacceptable.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

I have just returned from a very disappointing visit to Cabelas in Abbotsford. The staff on the floor were great and helpful. I was there for opening at 9 am and the doors opened at 9:04, I did my shopping and went to the till with the items, I waited and waited while the one person in front of me was put off to the side while his cashier went to help the other cashier. I waited and waited and finally I had enough and put the items on the counter and walked away. The customer that was off to the side saw and agreed with my frustration with a look. It’s amazing that anyone would go back a second time with the total lack of professionalism shown by the cashiers. I will be getting the items I need now from Walmart or Canadian Tire. What they don’t have eBay or Amazon will have. I do not recommend to anyone to ever shop there. Very Disappointed.

Original review: July 31, 2018

I opened the account with a credit limit of $1,000. I have had this card for just over four months now and since then I have made $1,230 worth of payments. That is what smart card owners do, they use their cards and then pay them down or off by the end of the month. I set up auto pay when I opened the account and so far the auto pay has only been used once. One of the due dates that they were supposed to auto pay it, they didn't, and it showed late, even though I made several large payments toward the card.

So they cut my credit limit in half and said it will take three months before I can ask for my original limit back. They also said that my credit score dropped below a certain level which was another reason for the limit cut. I use my credit cards a lot, so often times they will get maxed out and then I pay them down. Capital One does not understand that our credit scores go up and down on a monthly basis, that is normal. So you cut my limit, I cut your card. Besides Dick's Sporting has better prices and way more stores.

Original review: July 31, 2018

I ordered a Ravin hard case in February and it’s nearly August with no case!!! Cabela’s was kind enough to steal my money (nearly $400) with no case!! I can’t even transport my $1500 crossbow which I bought from Cabela’s. Just a bunch of crooks!! I would never order from Cabela’s!!!

Original review: July 17, 2018

I have been a Cabela’s customer for 30 years. I wanted to purchase a couple of sleeping bags that were on sale. Was told my credit card had expired, they forgot to send me a renewal. Contacted customer service and had a new card issued. Found out the sale would expire before I received my new card asked for a rain check and was told sorry...got the bags on Amazon. Recently bought a fish finder and didn't get the vets discount, was told I needed to go to the store. If the online store isn't a store, then wtf is it? Never had any problems with Cabela’s until they sold out...I am done with Cabela’s.

Original review: June 29, 2018

Cabela's Club card is by far the worst credit card to exist. When you don’t use the card they will pull your credit report every 60 days and then decrease your limit, this makes your credit score go down because it looks like you are using all of the available credit. Will be paying this off and NEVER going anywhere near Cabela's or World's Foremost Bank again.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Ever since Cabela's switched to Capital One as their credit card servicer, customer service, dependability, and overall satisfaction has sucked!!! I have excellent credit and payment history and couldn't even get a increase in credit. Once I closed my account Cabela's took my remaining 45.00 dollars in points away. No one told me when I was closing my account I had to forfeit my points I had earned by purchasing from Cabela's. I do not recommend anyone applying for a credit card from Cabela's. You are safer spending your saved cash.

However, Discover offers so much better cash back bonuses that you can actually use as $$$ and have transferred into your checking account. They by far are the best (Discover) credit card on the market for CASH BACK REWARDS. Cabela's Visa card does not allow this and you have to use your points back to their store. (CROOKS) Unless your entire wardrobe is from Cabela's stay far away from this card. Remember this only started happening when they transferred their services to Capital One. In fact Cabela's was my favorite card when Cabela's managed the services. Government regulations prohibited them from managing credit services. So too, government over reach again is affecting our private sector and capitalism.

Original review: May 10, 2018

Cabela’s in New Baltimore, Michigan, sells "factory blemished" handguns stating they are new and merely have a maybe-detectable cosmetic blemish. The "factory-blemished" handgun I took home and started to clean has had a LOT of rounds fired through it. After discovering this, I tried to return it. They stood firmly on their sales receipt that says it's a used gun, no returns or refunds. GOT ME!

It may have been a mistake on the salesman's part, not knowing the guns are used, BUT they refused to correct it. I called the gun manufacturer who confirmed they do sell "used" guns through Cabela’s - not "factory-blemished," which leaves the factory-blemished label cooked up by Cabela’s. I chatted online with Cabela’s Corporate who said they would forward a transcript of the chat to the New Baltimore store. No response. Thank you for reading.

Original review: April 29, 2018

If you try to return a merchandise without a receipt, Cabela's rips you off by offering to refund their LOWEST price ever sold for that item. So if they sold just one of that product for $1 on Black Friday, you will be offered that $1 for the product that you might have paid $100. Really, this is their policy! Can't make this up! I actually tried to return a rod and reel in order to upgrade -- spend more money at Cabela's. Because I didn't have my receipt, I was basically treated like a crook who bought it on sale in order to return the product to make a profit. Can you believe that? This is how they view their customers!

Original review: April 23, 2018

I have requested several times that they close my account and they refuse. They state that they cannot lower my credit limit nor can they close my account without speaking to me and then I need to provide them with a signed document stating I want to close my account. This is above and beyond anything that should be required. I have cut up my card but I do not feel comfortable having an open account that could be potentially compromised.

Original review: April 15, 2018

This is the only credit account I have that makes you fill out a paper form to set-up auto-pay. I'm appalled that Cabela's (who has historically had amazing customer service) has set-up their credit card in such a way that makes it more likely they will get a credit card fee... (obvious reason for this ridiculous process). If I could roll back the clock, I would have made my purchases on another revolving credit account that is more modern and customer friendly. My advice: This card is for old-school customers that like paying with a check or managing all their accounts the "old-fashioned" (i.e. you still buy groceries with a check). If you like managing your accounts online and setting up autopay online, don't get this card.

If you are already a customer, here are the steps for getting autopay set-up for Cabela's CLUB Visa: 1. Log into your Cabela's Club Visa account home page. 2. Hover over "Manage My Account". 3. Click on "Other CLUB Services" 4. Click on Enroll in Autopay. This step will load a PDF form you will have to print off, put pen to paper and mail to Cabela's (That's right! Stamp, envelope, old school paperwork...). At this point be sure to keep paying your payments or you might get a late fee while they process this ridiculous form submission.

If this sounds reasonable to you... great, you're a Cabela's CLUB Visa customer and this card is for you. If you're like me, you paid off the card and closed the account because you don't like having to manage revolving credit accounts with old school paperwork and you hate "bad profits" (i.e. late fees that could easily be avoided with an online autopay feature like every other major credit card company on the planet). I'm still a Cabela's customer, but I hope they get with times with this embarrassing, dated, and sorry excuse for a store credit card.

Original review: March 28, 2018

We purchased a pair of boots from Cabela's that didnt fit, we returned them for an exchange and they sent us the very same size. I then tried to call the closest store 1.5 hrs drive one way, to see if they stocked the correct size, but they would not answer the phone. I called the customer service for orders and she could not get them to respond either. She said it appeared they had the right size in the store but could not verify it. Since we didnt want to drive 3 hrs for nothing she said she would send the correct pair.

When we got the correct pair my husband returned the other boots to the store so we wouldnt get charged for return shipping. Then, Cabela's sends us an email asking for permission to charge our card saying we never returned the boots & also wanted to charge for return shipping, Huh? This was 6 mos later. I still had the receipt for the returned boots. They apologized so I thought we were done but it didnt end there, I got more email and phone calls saying the clerk refunded our card but we never paid for the second pair therefore we got the boots for free. I have no way of checking this since we bank online all previous transactions were deleted during a software upgrade. So now, Cabela's sent us to collections for $60. Unbelievable! They dont seem to know what they are doing and just lost a customer over (if they are right) a mistake made by their store clerk. If they are right, why do they need my permission to charge my card?

Cabela's World's Foremost Outfitter Company Information