3.29/5

Cabela's

121 Cabela's World's Foremost Outfitter Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 16, 2019

I Purchased a pair of Cabela's "Readhead" brand Front Range hiking boots in March 2019. I paid full price at the time ($59.99) and after 3 months of use there are holes where the soles are starting to wear through. After three months!! I don't have the receipt or the box so I can't take them back. Just a poorly designed product seemingly engineered to fail! Very unhappy.

Original review: May 9, 2019

Useless waste of oxygen when you call support. I was a cutomer for 10 years. 0 zero problems. Capital One takes over and boom late fees and interest for a electronic payment being late. How can a electronic payment be late when it posts 3 days before the payment is due. I will use up my points this weekend and close this account. Goodby Cabela's I will take my money elsewhere.

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 22, 2019

I purchased a Alumacraft bass boat with a Yamaha engine from Cabela's. I spent over $20,000. Today, when I called to make an appointment to have my Yamaha motor serviced for the summer season, I was told that Cabela's is no longer offering warranty or maintenance on my boat and motor, even though my boat is still under warranty. Cabela's Corp Customer Service states that due to their being purchased by Bass Pro Shop, certain considerations of merchandise had to be changed. Translation, we sell Tracker boats and Mercury motors now. I was instructed to call their parent Bass Pro Shop with any complaints. Bass Pro's Tracker Rep Kim, told me to find a local shop to service my boat as neither Cabela's or Bass Pro Shop will provide any service for my boat. Wonderful way to treat a 30 year plus customer.

Original review: April 6, 2019

I’ve had the Cabela’s Club VISA card that was offered by Cabela’s own bank (World’s Foremost Bank) and had the best customer service for many years! They were better than anyone else and I enjoyed using this card for purchases and gaining the points at Cabela’s. With the merger of Cabela’s and Bass Pro and the changeover to Capital One MasterCard I can assure you that this experience is now the worst! The Customer Service Reps are arrogant and not at all helpful and the tools I had once used to alert me to payments due, charges, etc. seem to be unavailable or buried under levels of menus on their website. A call today to understand why I wasn’t getting my statements electronically and being charged interest for a payment that I didn’t get any alerts on was a fruitless waste of time! The CSR and her supervisor “Asia” couldn’t even say my name correctly and refused to do anything helpful.

I’ll contrast this experience with one that I had with Discover Card a couple of months ago when I went through an paid off all outstanding debt. Discover Card recognized that I was a longtime member and forgave 4 months of interest charges when I paid off my card!! When I shared this expereince with Cabela’s Capital One their response was “so that’s nice, we don’t do that here”! I’m not so stupid as to close this account but trust me when I say I’m done using it! Cabela’s made a mistake going with Capital One and I’ve taken this card out of my wallet and Apple Pay as a result. I like the store but hate the card now - hopefully Cabela’s will take notice of these multiple bad experiences.

Original review: March 29, 2019

I called to get a price on an item in the 2019 shooting catalog. Items not the same as advertised. Customer service not at all helpful. For a company of this magnitude I expected more. Will think twice before ordering from this company again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cabela's?

Original review: March 24, 2019

I went in to the Tualatin, OR Cabela’s to sell them a Benelli M4 12g tactical. They offered $807 which I agreed to. I asked them to return it on my debit card as cash to my credit union bank. They said yes and when I left the store and checked my account the money had not yet gone in. Rechecked today and still not there. I have sold guns to them previously and had them put back on same card and cash was there instantaneously.

I called the store and the manager blandly stated it could take 3-10 days. I told him that all cash returns to my credit union debit card from other merchants immediately appear as cash in my account. I asked why that is not so now when a similar transaction before completion of final merger went right to my debit card as cash. He said he would look into it with corporate and get back to me. Don’t bother, not shopping at those untrustworthy folks again. Quite disappointed. Beware of Cabela’s in its new iteration with Bass Pro.

Original review: March 20, 2019

The eyecups on a set of Cabela branded binoculars tore. I asked for assistance to get replacements. This is the response. "Cabela's private label merchandise is made to Cabela's specification and we are unable to disclose who the manufacture is due to proprietary information. Spare parts including eye cups are not available. I apologize for any inconvenience. Please let us know if you have any other questions." I would not recommend buying anything that is Cabela branded that may need any sort of repair in the future.

Original review: March 9, 2019

I had a Cabela's card for a few years now with not one problem until Capital One took over! They don’t send you your statement until it’s already past due then sock you with an Asinine late fee and interest charge! Go with ANYONE but Capital One! I also will never shop at Cabela's or Bass Pro ever again for getting in bed with such a dishonest and corrupt company like Capital One!!!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

After spending lots of time on the phone I put my order in wich never came. And looking in deeper they have been cheating on my points. After being with them for a long time and being a black card holder for several years I would think they would want to have service. So very shortly they will be minus one card holder.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I disputed a sale after purchasing and returning an item... Gave Cabela all the info needed. RMA #, dates, circumstances, tracking # for both items. After 3 conversations...I get an email asking me to upload all docs. Everything of course was by phone or instant chat... The documents I have are my copies of the RMA shipping label, and UPS tracking #. Both of which I cannot upload. I am 62 and do not have that printer capacity. As soon as this matter is settled. I will likely close my Cabela account. MISS YOU VISA!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I ordered 4 different types of ammo on one order (**). Two of them were .45 cal. Although one was marked as being shipped/received by Cabela's, it was marked on "my orders" as waiting for the other .45 cal ammo (backordered) to arrive, and would be shipped together. Never received either batch. It's been a nightmare and a lot of wasted time trying to find out what happened to my order. Bass Pro Shops - please make changes at the senior level of Cabela's to ensure the quality of service = the traditional BPS service. Won't be ordering anything else from Cabela's. No value.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I placed an order on 12/21/2018. It stated it would come direct from the manufacturer in 4-7 days. I called on 12/29 to ask about the shipment. They had no record of it being shipped. I called on 12/31 to check on status of order. I was told they would call back with an estimated time of arrival. I never heard back from them. I called on 1/2/2019 to check status. I was told they had not heard back from the manufacturer. I received an email from Cabela's stating it had been shipped on 12/27/2018, Another lie from them.

I received the tracking number and tracked the package. It had not been shipped until 1/2/2019. It will not arrive until 1/5/2019. I'm not holding my breath! I realize it was Xmas time, but to directly lie to a customer so they won't cancel the order is just wrong. I was off for two weeks for Xmas, needing the part for my fish finder. Had to fish without it several times. I would RECOMMEND not purchasing anything from Cabela's unless you want to wait to get it forever!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

Recently I purchased a product from Cabela's which required assembly. It was the ninth such product I had purchased, so I have a familiarity with the assembly process. The manufacturer modified the product and created a maddening assembly process. It took brute force included a hammer and crowbar to attach a simple bracket. So, I wrote a review on Cabela's site and it was rejected. So, I edited my review and it was rejected again. I wrote a third review and it was rejected again. My review was honest, specific and factual. It was not mean-spirited.

Cabela's has not provided me specific reasons why my review was rejected. However, this experience has changed the way I perceive customer reviews. If a retailer censors its reviews and only publishes those it deems positive, how is the buying public going to get a fair assessment of what previous buyer's experiences have been? The email exchanges I've had over this issue have been vague and unhelpful. I've requested to speak to someone at Cabela's for an explanation. Take customer reviews with a grain of salt... You may not be getting the full picture.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I got a bass pro gift card and on the back it says you can use it online for cabelas.com. Well, that's not true. It wouldnt accept my gift card when I tried placing an order online and gave me a number to call. I called the number and they said that you have to do it on the phone or in person, even though it clearly says on the gift card that you can. And the lady even said, "Oh I know, but you cant." I placed my order on the 26 and it had guaranteed Express shipping so I was suppose to receive my items on the 28. I received an order confirmation email on the 28 but no shipping information so I called customer service.

They looked up my order and said it was showing them that I would not receive my items until the 2 so said I had to talk to a senior representative. I held and when I got to talk to someone she said all she can do is give me a $10 gift card for the inconvenience but that it was too far into the shipping to cancel... How? If it says I'm not suppose to get it until the 2!? Anyways , I am so mad. If I had known that I could have just picked that memory card up from Walmart yesterday when I was in town because my husband wanted it for this weekend. Now I am going to have to go back to town which is an hour away while I am 34 weeks pregnant to get the dang thing and then return the one I ordered when it finally gets here. No, I want my money back!!! And she didnt even act like it was a problem! I wont be placing any more orders with them! I'll stick to Amazon!!!

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

I have been with Cabela's for many years. I had no problem with their visa card however when they changed to Capital One master card my problems began. They wanted all my info I had on the other Cabela's visa card which was alright. I have excellent credit pay it off monthly and early many years of this. Anyway I received the new card and the first time I used it was rejected. I was ticked. I tried several time to straighten this out. The last time I talked to someone in Costa Rica (hard to understand) he said for me to send my driver license to him. I told him no way and to cancel the card. He warned me I would lose any points I had. I told I didn't care. I'd had enough. This ordeal made me not want to shop at Cabela's at all.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

Since Cabela's merged with Bass Pro, the credit card experience has been awful. Unfortunately, I lost my credit card, and I asked for a replacement card to be sent. That was 8 days ago. Little did I know that a new card won't even be placed in the mail for 4-7 days... There is no hope of receiving one for nearly two weeks IF the U.S. mail happens to not lose the letter. Who knows where the card actually is at this point. My experience when our Discover was compromised last year was entirely on the other end of the spectrum --- Discover sent replacement cards within 2 days via FedEx, signature required. I felt very good about that. As far as I'm concerned, all of Cabela's previously great services have decreased significantly since this combining with Bass Pro. I don't want to rate them with 1 star but apparently one star at least is required. About one sentence away from canceling the card entirely.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

Went to Cabela's mainly for the Bargain Cave Saturday to find out that when Bass Pro Shops bought out Cabela's, they decided to get rid of the Bargain Cave. ARE YOU CRAZY? I asked one of the sales people. They said to let Bass Pro Shop know how disappointed I was online. Hey Bass Pro Shop "WHAT ARE YOU THINKING"? That brings a lot of customers in. Not so smart managing.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

CABELA'S CREDIT CARD ISSUE. I have an 800+ credit rating and always prompt credit card issues. I have a valid credit that expires in 3 years. Without any notice Visa sends a generic letter saying they basically sold out and my current card is canceled and balance is due ASAP... And a new card from Capital One is being issued in a couple days. The person at Visa was so rude, it prompted me to write this. Basically demanded full payment on the phone and this went on for 2 hours without any detailed info as to why, or what this transition was implemented.

They even wanted to charge 16 dollars to send the new card out in 2 days instead of waiting the standard 7 to 10 days. WTF. It's Dec 19th and I was going to build up Cabela's points, but now, the heartache and BS their customer service provided was so poor I would never shop or use the points at CABELA'S/Capital One. I'LL NEVER USE THE NEW CARD. I'LL NEVER SHOP AT CABELA'S. Don't care about the points. Such POOR poor poor customer service. GOODBYE CAPITAL ONE. STOP SCAMMING PEOPLE.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

I have bought several guns at the Cabela's in Wheeling, WV in the past. Most transactions went relatively smoothly. My wife and I took a trip today with $1000 to buy a new pistol for her, only to find out that the new policy, since the buyout with Bass Pro, will not let you handle the gun without the lock in place. Every gun in the store has a lock on. It is impossible to get the feel of the action with a lock on. Even after talking to a manager, who was sympathetic and understanding, but unwilling to remove the lock even for a serious buyer. You wouldn't buy a car if they never even let you sit in the seat, Would You??? It's Cabela's loss. I bought a S/W on the way back home at a local gun store (saving $100). Unless they change the policy I will never buy a gun from Cabela's again.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I have bought all my hunting equipment from Cabela's over many years. I recommend Cabela's to all my hunters who need something on their way to camp. This year walking into Cabela's I was very disappointed. There is no longer any Cabela's camo, Under Armour camo anywhere. You have to styles of camo to choose from which is Bass Pro brand and that's it. Camo section is 1/4 of size it was when store was just Cabela's. Cabela's is no longer world's foremost outfitter. It is now Bass Pro clothing store. Fine store for city folks to look at pretty flannel shirts. Not for a hunter or outfitter to buy quality camo. Way to go on destroying a great store.

Resolution response: March 25, 2019

Well I waited about 2-3 months for the gift card and it never came. So I had to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Cabela's promptly responded and sent me a gift card for the full amount of the damaged ammo, and an additional gift card for the long wait and hassle. I am satisfied with the resolution, but still not happy it took 3-months to resolve.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I had the same experience as one of the other recent reviewers on here -- I ordered multiple boxes of ammo and one of the boxes arrived opened with loose ammo rattling all over inside the box. There was no bubble wrap at all, only one flimsy piece of paper that provided no package protection; they didn't even tape the ammo box to keep it from opening in shipment. Horrible disregard for the safety of delivery of ammo. I called customer service to complain, and while the lady was nice and claimed to have filed a report against the warehouse whose worker was so reckless with packaging, she informed me their return policy for receiving damaged ammo is that they require you to drop off the ammo at a police station and fill out a form to relinquish the ammo to them for disposal. They would not provide a return unless that form was filled out at the police station and given to them.

I had to further complain that this return policy is not acceptable as it would waste my time and gas to travel to a police station and back, and my time inside the station filling out the form. All to get back a $13.59 refund. What a ridiculous joke. This completely defeats the purpose of shopping online for convenience. I had to push to get the point across and eventually she agreed to give me a courtesy gift card for the inconvenience and their error, which I am waiting on receiving in the mail. Had I not pushed the issue, I wouldn't have received any courtesy anything. They would have just wasted my travel time and gas, and extra time filling out the form, for free at my inconvenience and hassle.

This is a horrible, absurd return policy. Asking/suggesting your customers to dispose at a police station while providing a full refund is good, but requiring them to do so before a refund is not okay. After I use up the gift card (in store) I will never buy anything from Cabela's ever again, and unfortunately they ruined my ammo-buying-online experience so now I will only buy in stores. It is quite embarrassing how Cabela's doesn't train their employees to take caution when packaging AMMO. I mean seriously, what?! I am still in shock at the level of stupidity this company possesses because this is not an isolated incident. I just read a few other Cabela's reviews of the same problem happening for a few years now. Ugh!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I have purchased thousands of dollars of products over the years and have always received excellent customer service until now. The lifetime warranty on Cabela's branded hunting waders is no longer in effect since they were bought out by Bass Pro Shop. I was offered 20% off a new pair to ease my pain. This does not help me as I am on a fixed income and do not have the extra funds needed to get into a new pair of waders that come with a Lifetime Guarantee tag attached that is null and void to corporate. Frustrated and upset.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I purchased some snow runner boots a week ago and they were horrible. I tried to return them today without a receipt as I have done many times before for fishing equipment, clothing, etc. and was told I could only have the lowest sales price which was 1/3 of what I paid for the boots. NEVER shopping at Cabela's again.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I thought I'd save a few bucks and order ammo in bulk. Big mistake. Whoever packed the box along with the plastic ammo box that came with this special deal, literally threw everything in the shipping box in a pile with a small piece of brown paper in between the plastic ammo box and the 10 boxes of 50 rounds loose in the box and shipped. 2 boxes of ammo arrived completed busted and ammo was everywhere in the box. The remaining 8 boxes were all badly damaged but intact. (Why the packaging department did not simply put the boxes of ammo into the ammo box, pack with brown paper or bubble wrap and then simply box up the ammo box and mail is beyond me.)

I will say that Cabela's customer service was fine and they agreed to send out 2 new boxes to replace the ones that were destroyed which was a somewhat acceptable solution to me - though I was swayed by the fact that to return all 10 boxes would have required a surrender form etc and would cost me time I do not have (hence ordering ammo online). I was frankly shocked that Cabela's would have permitted an order of ammunition to be mailed in this condition and as a result, they have lost my trust. I will not order anything ever from them again.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I live in Canada. I was given a USD$ gift card as a gift from a friend in the USA. Cabela’s tells me they will only honor the card at par to Canadian dollar. This is a 25% discount in value versus what my friend paid Cabela’s for the gift card. RIP OFF!

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

Last month I recently purchased a $731.00 7mm Remington 700 SPS and had it in a clean hard case for a month. NEVER fired it. Mint condition. Decided to sell it and drove 40 miles to the SPRINGFIELD Cabela’s. At first the firearm clearer was friendly and polite but upon directing me to the Gun Library Office, I was treated like a child that had no idea what I was doing. I am 20 and I know my way around rifles. After waiting for them to inspect the rifle, the guy told me that he’ll give me 65% of what they were selling it for. I thought I could make an easy $400 at least for the rifle being in mint condition and never fired. BUT NO!

In closing, he told me they would sell it for a little over $400 and I could take home $290 in cash. $290! I told him I expected at least $400, because it has never been fired before. Heck, I even threw in a good sling and sling mounts too. But he stood at $290, and since no one else wanted to buy my rifle from me, I reluctantly said yes and did the paperwork and walked out. I lost about $400 with that visit and I will NEVER. EVER. Go to a Cabela’s ever again.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

Bought a pair of fleece lined women's slippers while traveling as we have no Cabela's near us. This was in December, fast forward to September when I got the slippers out of the closet for cool weather. Put them on and the soles cracked and pieces actually broke off and my toes popped through. Contacted Cabela's telling them of problem and offering to send pictures of damaged slippers. Was told I needed several numbers off of receipt, date of purchase, place of purchase etc. Unfortunately I don't keep every receipt from every purchase and especially when I am 500 miles from home and don't expect to be returning to that store. So basically, "Out of luck I guess," according to customer service. Expected better from a brand with Cabela's reputation. Providing a picture of crumbling shoe sole should have been worth more than a brush off email.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

Payment of 68.00 due Aug 14, Payment made 100.00 Aug 5. I received a late fee, because according to Cap 1... I made the payment too early and it went to principal only. I was told that any payment that is made before the "cycle" ends goes to principal only. And this cycle changes month to month. In August, the "cycle" ended on the 13th according to them, and my payment was due on the 14th. Yes, that leaves us cardholders with a 24 hour window to make a payment or it's a late fee. Sounds like a trap to me. I called the Cabela's corp. office and told them I'm transferring the balance to another card and closing the account. I have not received a follow up call. I'm extremely disappointed that Cabela's would partner with a company like that.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

This is incredible. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH CABELA’S in particular their Club Card group. I needed some warranty work done on a product I bought from Cabela’s. The manufacturer wanted a copy of the itemized receipt, (makes sense). I called Cabela's and spent two hours on the phone between Cabela’s and the bank that issued the club card and neither one could or would produce the itemized receipt, even though I gave them the purchase date and amount. Totally frustrated, I told them my recent payment would -0- balance my card and to cancel my card as soon as it showed in the system. I also asked for written confirmation they had closed my account.

Here we are two months later and I went online to check and my card has not been canceled. I've mailed them asking what the issue is and why my card had not been canceled. Their response was I couldn’t do that in an email, I had to call. I guess the two hours on the phone with them the first time wasn’t enough. Run from this company! The fact they can’t produce an itemized receipt is scary enough but the fact they do not listen to the customer or do what they say they will do is totally unacceptable.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

I have just returned from a very disappointing visit to Cabelas in Abbotsford. The staff on the floor were great and helpful. I was there for opening at 9 am and the doors opened at 9:04, I did my shopping and went to the till with the items, I waited and waited while the one person in front of me was put off to the side while his cashier went to help the other cashier. I waited and waited and finally I had enough and put the items on the counter and walked away. The customer that was off to the side saw and agreed with my frustration with a look. It’s amazing that anyone would go back a second time with the total lack of professionalism shown by the cashiers. I will be getting the items I need now from Walmart or Canadian Tire. What they don’t have eBay or Amazon will have. I do not recommend to anyone to ever shop there. Very Disappointed.

Cabela's World's Foremost Outfitter Company Information