Best Buy

Compare Retail Stores

Research top Retail Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

On March 2, 2017, I bought a printer online. The printer was never delivered, they cancel the order but at the same time charged my account $108.85. Since then I have called more than a dozen times, and I have spoken to several unhelpful liars, who always promise me that the refund will be posted in 24 hours. I have asked to speak to a manager to no avail. Three-month have already elapsed and I really do not know what to do or whom to contact.

I bought a wifi modem router. From the start I had problems with it. The wifi signal was dropping out 30 or 40 times a day. Thought it was my cable service. Then discovered it was the modem/router. By then, it was past their 15 day return period. The "customer service" clerk smiled as he told me no return, no refund, unless I had purchased the extended store warranty. If I have to buy an extra warranty to get decent service, I'll shop somewhere else. The clerk and his boss said there is nothing Best Buy can do... I'll consider that a $92 education on why NOT TO SHOP AT BEST BUY!!! (And yes, I did have the receipt.)

I purchased a 65in Samsung SUHD television in October with the assistance of a in home consultant. It was one problem after another... too many to list. I contacted the Geek Squad on May 19, 2017 because I had a line going through my television. He set up an appointment for repair for the 31st. I called 2 days before to confirm my appointment, was told they were scheduled and a tech would call me or I would receive an automated call the day before. No one called. The morning of my appointment, I again called to confirm, was put on hold while the tech was called and was told I would receive a call from him 30 minutes before his arrival. No one called and no one showed. I called repeatedly and was told the tech was not answering and that that was something they do not take lightly, a field manager would be calling.

I called corporate (waste of time). I called for the next 3 days, told the same thing, no one called. I went into the store on June 3 and complained to a manager who knew the many problems I had been having. He talked me into getting a MU8500, said it was better than the KS9500 that I had. I googled it after I got home and learned he was not truthful. My KS9500 was named one of the top 5 televisions of 2017. I don't know why he told me what he did, but once again another example of their incompetence. I only shop with Best Buy because of their extended warranty, wish they had informed me that the warranty comes with a guaranteed headache. I shop at the Roosevelt Road location.

Bought my tv in February. Was told to get the warranty for extra 60 bucks and if anything happens bring the tv back will be replaced. I even asked what if it falls and breaks or cracks I was assured I can return it. Well my tv fell and cracked. Called yesterday was told cannot bring it by a very rude and unprofessional geek squad person. They will never get a dime of my money again. Very unprofessional.

I am not familiar with the new TVs so I relied on a salesperson to choose one. Mistake! When I got home, I found out the one I bought does not have a web browser. I specifically asked for that feature. The online customer service said they would pick up the wrong TV from my house and bring me a different one. The store clerks, after hanging up on me, finally told me they would NOT do that, and to get me off the phone, told me to call "corporate". The phone number they gave me was to another flunky who could not/would not help, and told me to call the store. They don't have any real managers. Apparently they assign one high school kid each day to be "manager on duty". No one is in charge. What a mess of a company! With service help like that, I might as well buy from Amazon (which was cheaper, by the way, and delivered to my house).

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Geek Squad?

Be careful what you buy from Best Buy. If your product doesn't work, even if you own it less than a month, after 14-15 days you can't return it. I bought security cameras that had a picture and apparently they don't work due to interference or something, they worked for a short period of time and stopped. Now I'm out of 460 dollars.

I purchased a new wall oven on 12/24/2016. Just realized a factory defect inside of oven, it's very hard to see, it was a missed area of porcelain. I contacted the company only to find out the defect is considered cosmetic, and the warranty ran out on cosmetic defects. Moreover there was not a recommended repair suggestion.

Unhappy Customer. Bad experience. I am standing here trying to wave for a sales person down to buy a soundbar and they walk past me like I don't exist. Really Best Buy get your stuff together. I know it's a Monday and all but wtf. Have some attentive salespeople. Experiences like this is the reason why people are using sites like amazon so they don't have to deal with BS employees.

I paid $60 for 5 year extended warranty after price shopping a TV. Made the mistake of believing the lying store clerks who gain a commission from each sucker buying an extended warranty. Warranty is so worthless that they take your money but do not even give you a 1 or 2 cent piece of paper stating you have an extended warranty. Followup attempts to the store are a waste of time as they disable their emails, disconnect chat calls, require logins, account setups, secondary verification, etc. or their online account, phone calls are unanswered for the most part. If you are persistent with the phone call and await a callback you still accomplish nothing but wasting time, as the phone person can do nothing for you.

Warning: Best Buy (and most other stores) extended warranties are simply a ripoff of anyone who shops there. If Best Buy cares that little about retaining customers, they are unlikely to stay in business much longer, so the warranty is for sure just lost money. No reason to do business with a store that deliberately endeavors to steal your money, they probably do it in several different ways. Best Buy is perhaps your worst buy.

I got my Verizon $40 card today and when I went to put it my phone it said the number was invalid. I took it to the Verizon store here in Batavia. They called Verizon customer service who informed me that the card was never activated at your store. So you basically got my money for free. Verizon was able to provide me a new card but I'll never order from you again.

I ordered a washer & dryer a week ago, and was told the earliest they could deliver would be today from 8-12pm. After 12pm I called the store twice & left messages for the salesperson I'd dealt with that the merchandise had not arrived. I also called the 1-800 number & got bounced around, only to be told the truck had arrived and no one was home so they left the area, and I would now need to reschedule. I never left my home from 7-1pm, and the management office and building manager also never saw a truck pull up. I asked for a supervisor to review the situation & around 2pm was told that the truck was being re-routed to deliver my appliances by 4pm. It is now 5pm, and nothing -- not even a call from the sales rep at the local store. Unreal.

I wish I read the reviews before I go to get my laptop fix, they charge $35 for diagnostic. Never explain is non-refundable. Never inform that they will take computer apart and will not put back together. I gave the computer. They said will call with the estimate and I receive the call mentioning the highest offer to fix $1170+ taxes for just a repair of a connection of wire which disconnects the screen and a broken hinges. Which was ok to give the estimate. The problem was when they diagnose the computer broke more, the screen falling apart, all the parts are separated or broken which can't be fixed now. When I have the computer it was one part of hinges was exposed and the black part is off by 5", now the both parts are separated screen is in 2 pieces. I am adding pictures to see. Now who will fix my computer and I can't afford to buy one and being a single mother can't have one for my son's homework.

At Best Buy in Clearwater, FL we purchased a new 65" Samsung UN65KS8500FXZA LED 2160P SMART TV. Total cost with accessories, installation and setup $2540.63. Delivery and installation was to be by their Geek Squad, scheduled for Thursday, March 9, 2017. However, they sent a subcontractor who came alone to our door with the 65" TV. Since he had the TV, I let him into our home. I asked him for identification, he had no company identification or even a business card. He said his name was James ** and did appliance and TV installations for many large appliance dealers in the area. He had problems and was unable to complete the installation and setup and referred us back to Best Buy to complete the installation and setup of the TV.

He did a poor job running the antenna cable across the middle of living room floor even though there was a cable in place under the rug for the doorway; and the last thing he said as he was going out the door was to keep this huge 65" TV box for two months in case there is a problem with the TV. After he left we noticed the telephone modem was missing. We immediately contacted Best Buy to complete the installation and setup of the TV and advised them of the missing telephone modem, and also provided pictures of the disarray showing how James ** had left our home. They sent out the Geek Squad and completed the installation and set-up of the TV and removed the box for the 65" TV.

However, thus far Best Buy has not accepted the responsibility for the missing modem. I have sent numerous emails to Christopher ** a manager at Best Buy who wrote that he had partnered with the Geek Squad installation manager to contact the third party (sub-contractor) regarding missing modem. On March 27, 2017 found a telephone message on our recorder from an unknown person stated to be from Best Buy stating the sub-contractor representative said he did not take the modem. Subsequently, Christopher ** called and referred me to a telephone number for their complaint department; I called and filed my complaint and was also asked to go to their website and also filled out a form for my complaint which I did. To date, I have received no response from Best Buy.

My wife and I are nearing 80 years of age; we did not need or appreciate being upset with the neglect of Best Buy's management to handle this problem in a professional manner. After being contacted several times by Spectrum for their modem, never was told how much the telephone modem was and never received a bill from them; then being contacted by their outside collection company noting $39. owing on their correspondence. On May 1, 2017, I went to the Spectrum's office and paid the $39. for the missing modem. I strongly feel; that since Best Buy sold us this TV and hired this sub-contractor, sending him on Thursday, March 9th into our home to install and set up the TV; Best Buy is responsible for the sub-contractor actions and the missing Spectrum's telephone modem and should be made accountable to reimburse us for the $39. for the telephone modem.

In the Charlottesville, Virginia Best Buy store, the clerk in the Television Department was very unhelpful. Needed new TV for my motor home, and a mounting bracket. The salesman never offered help, till my wife went to him, and asked him... he then came and didn't know products, didn't know lengths of bracket, and refused to find out. I walked out... didn't buy and will never return to a Best Buy store. I can certainly understand why Best Buy is dying, and why stores are closing. Moral of the lesson... stay away from Best Buy.

Placed an order on-line for an external hard drive that the web said that I would pick up today. Got an email that it would not be available till next week. I needed it today! BUT that is not the problem - I opened a chat to ask that they cancel the order - They said NO - They could not cancel the order. Not good! BE CAREFUL WHEN ORDERING ONLINE WITH BEST BUY.

Last week I noticed a charge on my MasterCard for $55, for a purchase at Geek Squad (Best Buy) in Mn. No purchases were made on this card in a year, so I had to cancel the card and all the autopays that were attached to it. An inquiry to Best Buy proved to be a waste of time. When I called them and informed them that I didn't live in the state where the so-called purchase was made, they claimed to have no record of the transaction. MasterCard did a Fraud investigation only to discover that the Geek Squad decided to Auto-renew a 1-year virus protection plan that came with a laptop that I purchased over 4 Years ago and a product that I cancelled (Kaspersky).

When Best Buy was called back and informed of their Billing "Mistake", all they could say is "oops"(?). This week a *Dynex* paper shredder purchased from them fell apart and was taken back to the store for a replacement. After explaining to them that an internal part had broken off, they informed me that this model has been discontinued and that I could buy a *Insignia* model of the same quality for $20 more, and I replied to them, "The only thing different on this unit is the decal." This machine was the EXACT same machine as the defective machine I returned. The store Manager then said to the customer service rep, "Just make it an even swap." (Like he was doing me a favor.) Makes me wonder if this store has sunk to the level of deceptive practices to survive? A store I will NEVER shop at again!

Never should have purchased a tv from Best Buy. You are on your own after 15 days. If I had bought it at Costco I could of taken it back. I have had the tv 5 months. Bought a 70" Samsung, it now turns off after 20 minutes for no reason. I got pushed off to an overseas call center that is useless. Bad phone connection, I cannot understand them, having an awful time getting my tv repaired.

Horrible!!! I will never shop Best Buy again. 3 years ago I bought an HP and received horrible customer service in the experience by being ignored, to only have it repeated 3 years later when I bought my Lenovo computer. I was basically ripped off by the store, who did not indicate the item was available online cheaper than the purchase price I paid. The overall experience was a nightmare, and honestly I should return it. The only reason I wont is that I actually need the computer. I will be making future purchases from Amazon after looking at the item at a Best Buy store. I think the kicker was that I paid for one day shipping for it to come from where my grandparents live, and honestly I could have had it a day sooner and picked it up myself for free. NEVER AGAIN WILL BEST BUY GET A DIME FROM ME.

I bought a Roomba from Best Buy. Added their protection plan which expands the protection by 2 years. Guess what, the Roomba went bad in 5 months. However, the model we bought was out of production. Because of this, Best Buy offered to downgrade my Roomba to a lower version for an additional $20 only. This is what their protection plan means. They shouted at me and my wife with my kids around and when we retaliated. Very very bad experience. Never ever going to buy from Best Buy again.

Bought a flat screen TV, tried numerous times to schedule a delivery where I was lied to and sent emails of CONFIRMED delivery date and time, no one showed. I decided to cancel my order. No wonder why Best Buy is a dying company, horrible customer service where customer service hangs up, zero help and no interest in customer retention. Stay away, dont do business with this people. I will NEVER set my foot in their stores ever again, I will make sure all my friends and family knows also.

I bought a bluetooth from Best Buy with a 1-year warranty. Within the warranty period my bluetooth was not working properly so I took it to Best Buy with proof of purchase date. I was told that unless I had purchased the Best Buy warranty there was nothing they could do. They said I had to contact the company it was made by, that they don't honor manufacturer's warranties. They were no help in helping me contact the company. I purchased it from them and feel they should honor the warranty. I called and voiced my concern with their corporate office and they were just as rude and I got told it wasn't their problem.

I have always been a huge Best Buy customer. I have spent thousands of dollars at their store and am very upset with their customer service. I will not be shopping at their store in the future. It's all about customer service and they have none. The manufacturer will replace it at my expense to send it in and I will be without my bluetooth until the new one comes. I travel for my job, thanks a lot Best Buy for nothing except the inconvenience of not having a hands-free device while I'm driving.

Went to Best Buy because I had a problem with my cell phone. I was talking to one of the salesperson I had to run outside to get something out of my car. I come back in the store and somebody stole the box that my cell phone came in. I asked the salesperson that was helping me what happen to my box? It had my headphones in there and 2 adapters. He said he didn't know. So I went to security and ask them to look on the monitors and see who took my box. Security said they can see me walking in with them but they did not see me leave with it. I say to the manager I want my stuff back. He basically told me it's not his problem. This is the way Best Buy treats their customers. The manager was rude and disrespectful. If my stuff was stolen from inside the store they should reimburse me. My phone was the Samsung Galaxy S8 plus. I just got it on the 21st of April.

I wish I had read the complaints on Best Buy before I purchased my stove. We are in the process of up-grading all our appliances in our home, but never again will I ever purchase anything from Best Buy. The light that indicates the stove is off, stays on all the time, I can't tell if the stove is on or off. As a result we had a small fire on our stove, I called the store to see if they could get this fixed on 4/16 I was told - pull the stove out and unplug it only plug it in when I need to use it. I was also told the geek squad could not repair it until the April 29th.

I would think they would respond quicker and get this fixed asap it is most likely just a 10-minute fix. This one little light not working has the potential of burning my home down. Well today I used my stove again, while trying to put it back in the space I was burned, again thinking the stove was off. So I called the store back and told them I wanted them to send someone to fix it ASAP or have the stove replaced. I'm 67 years old and I think I should not be pulling a stove out and plugging it in and out when I need to use it. I spent over a thousand dollars in Best Buy the day I bought the stove. I'll go else where for future appliances.

I purchased a washer/dryer set from Best Buy store, after confirming they had the models in stock and would deliver within 2 days - I made it clear this was a dependency for the order (I had already researched two other purchase options, should Best Buy not be able to meet that need). On the first deliver attempt, it was discovered that a 220v outlet was needed. (This had not been in the pre-delivery checklist, and the old set used 110v). They would not do the delivery 'as is' (leaving the equipment and letting me plug it in when the wiring was complete). I chalked this up to "stuff happens", and had the wiring corrected the next day.

But the new delivery window was pushed for 5 days, and they had changed the model requested from electric to gas (which I only caught by accident). On the next date they never showed up. I called them and was informed they had come by, but my "street is too narrow for the delivery van and a smaller delivery truck would need to be scheduled". My street is almost twice as wide as a standard car lane, and they had been here before so they should have known if there was going to be an issue. I was blamed for not telling them about this 'special need'. When I escalated the call, the supervisor refused to promise any date, and said I'd have to call again tomorrow because my delivery was still 'in transit'.

The next day they offered a date of one week out. That date has not yet arrived, so there's still plenty of room for further problems and delays, and even if fulfilled, it will have been 3 weeks since my purchase and 3 full days of lost work for me. While they have been civil, they have not been professional: they attribute any issue as my fault and every reschedule goes to the bottom of their queue, rather than being treated as an escalation.

I bought a tempered glass screen protector for my phone. When I purchased it I asked if I would be able to return it if it didn't fit with my phone case and was advised that I would be able to (apparently this was a lie or ignorance). The screen fit but it popped off an hour after I put it on my phone. The same day I went back to Best Buy and was told by customer service that since it was a defective product that was already opened I would have to contact the company directly to get a new one. I left the store and pulled up the return policy on my phone and didn't see anywhere that this was the policy so I went back in. The lady at customer service called a supervisor over and I explained the situation and he said as the supervisor he knows the policy better than me and that this is their policy.

I then called Best Buy's main phone number and spoke to customer service, I was told that the information the store was providing me was incorrect, she stated that it's the policy to exchange defective items that are brought back within 15 days. She told me to go back in the store and that she would speak with the manager for me. I went back in and now spoke to a 4th person who was a manager and explained yet again the situation, he confirmed that it was the store's policy to exchange defective items and instructed his customer service agent to do so. This whole experience was disturbing and frustrating. I had to speak to 4 different people and waste 2 hours of my time before they actually followed their policy. I have bought many products from Best Buy before and after this experience it will be my last. There are other electronic stores to chose from, this is not how you treat customers that you want to retain.

I found a computer I wanted to buy at Bestbuy.com, and since I was going to be in a town that had a Best Buy, I stopped by the store to see if they had the computer in stock. Did not find it on a shelf, and since there was no one that was available to answer any questions (all were standing by the register talking, on doing something on their cell phones), I went to the customer service desk. Kyla (not sure of spelling) stated that they did not have the computer in stock, and that she could order it for me. I told her that I could order it myself online when I got back to my office. No, she would be happy to order it for me. First, she could not find my tax-exempt info, and said my tax-exempt card (that I had gotten last fall) was not in the system. Therefore, she created a new tax-exempt account. Then after asking another employee how to do the tax-exempt account, and how to place an order, she ordered the computer for me.

When she told me the price, I gave her a printout I had printed out that morning from the bestbuy.com website. I asked why it was $44 more. She said the stores do not have the same prices the website has, but she could do a price match. Did not make sense to me, but I agreed and left with my receipt in hand. I waited two weeks for it to be delivered, because on the printout I had printed from the website; it stated it would be ten days. Today, I call, because I had never received a shipment tracking number, receipt, etc. I found out today, by calling the store, that the computer was not ordered, it showed I had bought a computer in the store. Therefore, the CSR I spoke with refunded the money, and then applied it to another order online. I have now gotten confirmation of this by email.

I informed the CSR person that Kyla, needed to be retrained, as I had my doubts about her even that day. I hope that she is still not helping customers. The CSR person said this has been happening, and they just had a staff meeting about it last week. I told her she could share my experience with her managers. I think management needs to have Secret Shoppers or something like that service, visit their stores, and find out just how bad it has gotten. It is far from the great services I have received there throughout the years.

Bought wireless headphones in Milton, ON just before Christmas, 2016. Then went to Florida for winter. The headphones stopped working after about two weeks. Went to a Best Buy store in Florida. They rather said they could not help me - they do not carry that product. Upon return to Canada went to the store that I bought the headphones from. The (rather cynically) stated they will not do anything as there is the manufacturer's one-year warranty only.

They lied to me by saying that that was stated on the payment receipt. It was not! I found the manufacturer's (Sennheiser) phone number in Quebec. A message was played, which said that I had to use a courier to send the headphones, at my cost, for possible repairs. I will be without headphones for at least two weeks (the other headphones that I bought in Florida I left there). Conclusion: with all the reviews of Best Buy available on the Internet (that I am aware of only now), only an insane person could ever enter a Best Buy store. This is the worst rated retailer in Canada and the US.

Very dissatisfied with the Best Buy delivery service. I had an 8am-12pm Saturday delivery window for a TV stand. I waited around for the entire four hours and they never showed up. I tried calling customer service and they have no way of contacting the drivers. All they could do was verify that my TV stand was picked up by the drivers and that they were running late. It is now 12:42pm and still no word from the drivers and I have to leave for an appointment. To make matters worse, I cannot reschedule the delivery until the following day after the product is checked back in to the pick up center. Very undependable delivery service. I will think twice before buying something from Best Buy that requires delivery.

COMMUNICATION. I live 3 hours away from the Best Buy Store in Sanford, Florida. While visiting my sister my laptop (Toshiba) was malfunctioning and I took it to the store where I received excellent service from Alexander **. He took the time to explain what went wrong, and the laptop was repaired on time. I took the time to sent a letter to his General Manager, Steven ** commending Alexander on his professionalism and ability to take care of the problem quickly which exceeded my expectation. I also stated in the letter that even though I live 3 hours away from Sanford, I will take my iMac to the Sanford store to be repaired because of the excellent customer service received.

Now, I was communicating with the Geek Squad and because of the complexity of the work to be done on the iMac, it had to be sent to the Apple company for repair to which I agreed. Today, 4-15-17, I received a call from Alexander leaving us both confused. However, I explained as best as I can what transpired with regards to the iMac. I asked Alexander if he received a copy of the letter I send to his boss, Steven ** and he said that he did not receive it. Letters were sent separately. There is breakdown in communication. I was receiving emails from different stores stating my laptop was ready for pickup, etc. I would like Alexander to get his copy of the letter.

I bought a dishwasher and its 2 weeks and no dishwasher installed yet! Horrible and unreliable. Dishwasher was supposed to be installed 4 days ago, but had missing parts and no one showed up. Yesterday I get a call they will show up between 8 am and 12 noon today, to finally install my dishwasher, and I have been waiting in my house, BUT no one showed up! No one called! Nothing! I called Patrick the manager, after 15 minutes finally someone answered the phone, but Patrick is too busy to talk to me. Horrible, horrible, HORRIBLE! Jack the appliance manager was useless and helpless, so I asked for the general manager, Patrick who is rude and too busy to help customers. Horrible experience!

Best Buy Company Profile