Best Buy

Compare Retail Stores

Research top Retail Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I had bought some high ticket items on 2 years no interest. I owed a small balance ($600) at the end of 2 years. So they put the full interest for 2 years on the purchase I made. So they plopped over a thousand dollars on my card that I owe!!! Of course I’d expect interest on the $600, but they charged it on the amount I’ve already paid off! I spoke to a manager telling her I’d pay off the balance immediately if they could remove the $1200 and she said that was the deal with the no interest, "You must pay balance in full, or you get interest on full amount even on the amount you have paid off." And I told her "I will never buy from this company again." What ** customer service. Screw Best Buy.

Earphones purchased produced static, causing no audible sound, on and off. Because I tried to return them to Best Buy a few days over my 14 day time limit, I was told to call Sony and work it out with them. After 3 hours of calling and (texting: being asked for my credit card number) to ask questions for solutions, Sony was impossible to reach. I resent Best Buy selling products that cannot be guaranteed. I resent Best Buy not considering my elder age, lack of transportation, etc. Never, in all my years, have I had such a horrible experience in making a simple purchase.

As the owner of a publishing company for 33 years in Los Angeles, I know a little bit about running a company... Our purchase of a dishwasher at Best Buy was more than we bargained for. The sales staff was rude, disinterested, lacked knowledge of what they are selling and don't give a rat's ** about after sales contracted maintenance... In fact, if you are planning a major appliance purchase at Best Buy I suggest you first check with your Shrink to make sure you have not lost your mind... As for the subcontractor they sent we went through two of them since the first one did not show up and lied about calling us as we sat there all day waiting from them to show up... (There were no missed calls on my cell phone and the phone never left my side all day).

To add insult to injury after purchasing a 5 year maintenance contract, the person responsible for after market contracts claimed "Best Buy is not responsible for poor performance of these technicians... When I tried to explain that it's Best Buy who engages subcontractors and has contracts of engagement with these service people, incompetent or not. I was told I didn't know what I was talking about and was told the technicians were selected by zip code? WHAT?

I did not just fall off of the trump truck and was insulted that an employee of Best Buy does not have a clue about running a business and the legalities of offering subcontractor services that are paid by the customer... I suggest that Best Buy stop pissing on my leg and convincing me it's raining... it's not a good customer service image.

Ordered (iPhone) OtterBox in the store since they did not have it. Was never explained return policy. When box finally came I was out of town (I needed for trip). Now that I'm home I find I can not use this OtterBox, and Best Buy will do nothing about it. All they will say is that product is out of return date. Will not be going to any Best Buy stores again. Their staff in store do not know their own policies.

Service and product support, return/exchange policy issues. My contractor purchased multiple refrigerators via Best Buy for Business. The key word here is "Business" as the sales rep knew they were selling the products for a business environment. We've had ongoing issues that service cannot seem to repair (or does not want to) and are now being told the fine print voids the warranty if the equipment is installed in a non-residential environment. Best Buy should be required to have a line that you have to initial in the sales agreement that the consumer knows they will have no warranty. They are misrepresenting the "for Business" part of their advertising and deceives consumers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Geek Squad?

Do not EVER purchase a 24/7 Geek Support service contract. The techs are not knowledgeable on how to assist the customer with any technical issues be it a computer, laptop, printer, etc. I recently purchased a new wireless printer from Best Buy. I needed assistance in connecting the printer to my wireless router. I could not get it to connect.

I was on the phone with a tech support who could not speak English very well for over 2 hours and he was unable to assist me. His advice was to purchase a USB cable and call back and he could get the printer to communicate with the router. I purchased the cable and with the advice from the IT Tech at my work I successfully uploaded the printer software using the USB cable and could print, copy, and scan as long as the USB cable was connnected to the laptop and printer.

I then contacted the Geek Squad for assistance to help me connect the printer to the wireless router using the USB cable. The tech was clueless. I spent over 4 hours on the phone with Jesus ** the tech. He added another printer for some odd reason which confused the software I had downloaded and it lost contact with the computer. I repeatedly told him to disable that printer and he refused. He was changing settings. Going into files. He did not know how to get the printer to be connected back to the laptop. He then insisted that I did NOT have a wireless printer and that is why I could not connect it to the router. LMAO I literally took control of our live session and troubleshooted the issues. I had to uninstall all of the software I had previously installed where it took me over an hour. I resolved the issue with him watching live. I did his job because he was clueless and did not know what he was doing.

At one point I asked to talk to his manager. He placed me on hold then came back online and said that there was no manager working nights after he told me his manager was available. After I reinstalled all of the software AGAIN and was able to print, copy, and scan I asked him a simple question on how to change the location of my scans. The scans were going into my document folder and I wanted them to go directly in my scan folder. He did not know how to do it. He started to go into the network settings again. At that point I quickly ended our live session before he messed up my printer again.

They do not hire qualified people to assist you with technical issues. All they do is teach them how to look up manuals of the product having issues. I am contacting the Attorney General Office for a refund of my money of my yearly 24/7 Geek Squad service contract. They should pay me whatever they pay Jesus ** because I did his job. I showed him how to fix what he broke.

When I checked my e-mail at the end of the day, I saw an e-mail from Best Buy, auto-generated, with subject line 'We received your order'. I knew I hadn't placed any orders. Then I saw a second e-mail from Best Buy, auto-generated, with the subject line 'Order **...' canceled. The text read that Best Buy couldn't verify the information, so they canceled the order. This was a $700 order put on my card. I called the number on the back of the card, verified my identity, and asked for a new card. I take the time to write this because I never really expected a store card to have such a high layer of protection. In this case, Best Buy caught fraud before it happened. Good Job Credit Card Services!! Thank you!!!

Purchased BEATS wireless headset. Initially I was told to take the headset to the 'Geek Squad' counter and they would send the item back to the manufacturer since they were still under warranty. Once at the 'Geek Squad' counter I was told that they would not be able to send the headphones back to the manufacturer and that I would have to take them to Apple or deal directly with the manufacturer myself, even though I bought the headphones from Best Buy (Ahwatukee/Phoenix) on Ray road. I asked to speak with a manager and to no avail nothing was done. I am a very dissatisfied customer. But after reading the many 1 star complaints I am not surprised about my experience. Best Buy sells a product but fails to stand behind it once something breaks, puts the responsibility on the "customer" to figure out how to get a replacement for a faulty item. Yeah great customer server Best Buy!!

I purchased a Fix It disc (the only brand in stock) and tried to download. I was hoping to repair my missing F drive connection. The program loaded but IE stopped working. After 3 attempts I returned to Best Buy with product on hand and receipt. I was told that computer programs could not be returned. Company will not allow and Washington State law forbids returns of this type. I left upset leaving the product and receipt. Lost 40.00 and will never return! Signs should be posted. There was nothing wrong with the disc, just compatibility with Internet explorer and perhaps my Windows 10.

Purchased a Geek Squad certified Chromebook online. Delivery was 7 days after order submitted. Returned from vacation to the purchase on my desk at work. After booting up the tablet, was not impressed at all but decided to go ahead and gift it to my mom as planned. She did not like the purchase after waiting for the machine to boot up and said she would just use her Kindle because it seemed faster, so I went to return it to the store as allowed per my receipt. NO mention of the 15 day policy on my receipt - NONE.

The store clerk informed me that I was "way over the return policy" and I asked what it was - was informed that it was 15 days because "you aren't a special Best Buy customer". ACK! WHAT? Seriously - I am a Best Buy rewards customer, but they refused to refund my money even though my return was being made on the 30th day from purchase - 23rd day from delivery. So - I'll take the $180 gift card and buy some goodies for a local shelter and get the tax write off, and will avoid the heck out of this store forever. I learn my lessons pretty quickly and don't return to store that prefer to lose customers over these issues - if my business doesn't mean anything to you, I won't come back.

I am on hold with Best Buy as I write this. I purchased a tv, delivery and set up. I paid for everything. I was given an installation date in writing at the time of purchase. This information was confirmed by Best Buy via an email. I attempted to use the email link to update delivery instructions. The link did not work. I tried calling the store, and was put on permanent hold. I tried contacting customer service and the agent suggested I call the store. When I told her I had tried, she gave me yet another number to try to update delivery. She would not contact them on my behalf. Today is supposed to be delivery day so I came home early from a family trip, had my dogs locked up when normally they get free reign on the property and have been waiting since 0800 for a morning delivery that never came. No call, no email, just a no show. Best Buy has terrible service.

I went shopping at the Saginaw, Michigan store on July 3rd... I bought a few items. including two 25 dollar Shell gift cards for my son. Neither work. Now, I can't get helped. They said it's hard to fix the issue because it's a 3rd party gift card. Well if you can't fix the issue you should not sell them.

I wanted to purchase a TV, was told it was not in stock, but they did have a more expensive one in stock. It turned out they did not. Finally get the TV (the one I originally wanted), and 6 weeks later it breaks. Geek Squad comes and says that it was physical damage (was not) and not covered by the warranty I had purchased. The manufacturer replaced the set, and I had been informed that the warranty would have to be transferred to the new unit. When I call they keep transferring me from person to person, and no one is able to help me. They won't refund the money for the unused warranty, and they won't transfer the warranty to the new set. Have spoken to "Joe" and "Andre" and they keep switching me around and sending me to the wrong department. The last woman I spoke to in home theater just hung up on me.

My husband and I purchased a range & microwave on 6/27/17 and scheduled delivery for 7/1/17. We received 2 confirmation emails the evening before, 6/30/17, stating that both items were set to be installed and hauled away. On 7/1/17 when the installation team arrived they had the microwave and no range. Upon lengthy, roundabout communication with 1-800-Best Buy, we learned from one operator that it would be 1 week more. Upon placing a second call we learned that it would be no less than 2 weeks more. We went into the store where we purchased the items and they confirmed that it would be no less than 2 weeks more for the range that we were originally told would be installed on 7/1/17. We expressed disappointment and were given a newer model for the price of the original range. We scheduled an install & haul away for 7/6/17.

At 8:00 AM two gentlemen from Best Buy knocked on our door expressing that they were coming to haul away a range. They came in and saw that the range was still attached and said "You'll have to call 1-800-Best Buy and schedule a haul away once this is disconnected and it won't be today." I spent 20 minutes on a call with 1-800-Best Buy only to be told that they could do nothing about the haul away. They said that I could call back later to see if the guys could "swing back by" my house later once the new range arrived and was installed. What!!! Who does business like that? THERE ARE SERIOUS FLAWS IN BEST BUY'S DELIVERY DEPARTMENT AND THE COORDINATION OF SERVICES TO THE CONSUMER. You might get the best buy in the store, but once you purchase it seems that you will not get the best service.

I ordered a Garmin GPS from Bestbuy.com. It arrived on June 14. I began using it for a trip to Washington, DC and then on to Florida... June 26 to yesterday, July 3. It spontaneously quit working so I called Best Buy. Nothing they can do because 15 day return policy is up. They said I had to contact Garmin. As others have mentioned, their return policy is ridiculous! I will never buy another electronic from Best Buy and I encourage others not to, as well.

Best Buy was hacked December 2016. Reported the fraudulent purchases to my credit card company. They reported it to Best Buy. Best Buy then turned my company over to a collection company. I then sent all supporting documents to the collection company who then sent it to Best Buy. Best Buy refused to remove it from collections. Had the Minnesota attorney general get involved. Best Buy claimed they received no information from anybody… took 6 months now. Have to check my credit report to get it removed. Best Buy lies, swindles consumers and not even my attorney general cares to stop them. Avoid them. They are what’s wrong with American business.

On June 20, 2017 I walked into Best Buy store# 465 located at 4807 Concord Pike, Wilmington, DE 19803. I went into the store to inquire about buying a Track Pad 2. When I went to the cash register the Best Buy associate asked me for photo ID. I handed the representative my ID and eventually didn't buy the track pad because Best Buy wouldn't accept the coupon they sent me by email. I then went to the airport in Baltimore to fly back to Florida where I live when I noticed I did not have my ID (Driver’s License). I immediately called the store and they informed me they have my ID. I then told them I would like my father or brother to pick up the ID since I am a Federal Police Officer and that license is of utmost importance.

The associate then put me on hold and came back on the phone stating they could not hand over the license to anyone else. He then told me that it would be mailed to me the following day by USPS. I had informed him that I would pay for the license to be shipped priority mail so it could be tracked and reach me asap. The associate then told me not to worry they will mail it to me the next morning. After one week I still didn't receive my license so I called the store and asked the status of my license. I was told it was shipped on Wednesday June 21, 2017. I waited an extra two days then called back asking for a manager in which I was told they were busy and they would call me back. I never received a call back! I called again the next day at 10:30am and was told the same exact thing.

I then called the store back in the evening refusing to get off the phone until a manager would speak to me. Eventually, after sitting on the phone for a while a manager by the name of ** spoke with me. He informed me that the license left their safe and I should contact the Postal Service. I had told ** I was very upset how I been treated by his staff and the management not calling me back. ** then told me if I had any complaints to call customer service. I took his advice and did call customer service to make a complaint.

I spoke with a Manager at the Best Buy customer service number provided by ** and she called the store to find out what was going on. She then called me back a few minutes later stating she spoke to a representative at Best Buy and they had just mailed it out that morning and she apologized for the delay in mailing it. She asked me to please give it a few more days. Well it’s now July 3 and I still do not have my license. I will never buy anything again from Best Buy!!! I have spent over $3500 in the past year at Best Buy recently purchasing an Apple iMac computer from then on Jun 11 for $1200 in Orlando. Best Buy you will never see another penny from me. I will cancel my credit card I have with you also.

I recently purchased a 65" 4K Sony TV from Best Buy. Last year I shopped for a new washer and dryer. I bought the washer and dryer and was given a delivery date and time which was between 8 and 12 in the morning. Took the day off from work and waited all day. I called the store from where I purchased them and waited for a customer service representative to answer for quite awhile. They finally picked up the phone. When I explained to them that I have waited all day for the delivery they put me back on hold. Their response was, "Ohhhhhh, your products are on back order and won't be available for two weeks."

Needless to say I was pretty disappointed, so I canceled the order and went to Lowe's and got them the next day. Now, I was told when I purchased the TV, again my window for delivery was between 8 and 12 this morning. They just called me and said that they would be here in 45 minutes which make it 1:30 pm. I love shopping at Best Buy but I am totally disappointed in their service and delivery. I am not sure if anyone else has any experience with this service from Best Buy, but I am done with them.

Ordered over $400 of printer ink on 15 June for a customer and it is now 30 June and Best Buy has not even shipped it yet. When I didn't receive it by 19 June I placed an order with Staples for exactly the same ink and had the order delivered to my door by the next day with apologies to my customer for the delay. The service through Best Buy is the worst I have ever experienced and I let all my customers know not to purchase supplies online from this place and go to Staples. Worst experience ever... I told my customers to never buy supplies from Best Buy and use Staples.

Totally unhappy with Best Buy service - I purchased a Maytag washing machine - installed on 3/3/17 - worked fine for a few months, then drained all over my floor getting the sub flooring wet. Was told that it would be a week before they would come out. Tech (Ross) came on 6/28/16 at 10:30am out changed the defective part and told me it was good to go. Put a light load in and it would not drain - called at 1:54pm and was told that a service tech would get back to me. I called again at 2:51pm - still nothing. Called again at 3:18pm and asked for management - they were not there according to the service guy named Ben. It is now 6:46pm and I have not heard back. Called AGAIN at around 6:45pm, spoke with a gentleman named Jeff and learned that complaints were sent and should hear back within 24 hours. In the meantime Whirlpool came out and said that the control board was not working. Way to go Best Buy Folks - you need to get your ** together!!!

When I purchased 3 appliances the Bestbuy.ca online help people told me the appliances would only be billed when the items were shipped. I organized the ship date 2 weeks later. The items were immediately billed. I called to ask them to reverse the charge until the shipping date. Customer service explained that to them "shipping" was when the delivery date was created because THEY ship to the delivery department. They said shipping and delivery were two different things. Play on words. So charged 2 weeks early.

Shopped at Aventura, Florida store for smart watch. After waiting for sales associate customer service got sales associate. Guess what, the two items I was interested in weren't in stock. In fact shelves were somewhat bare. Couldn't try a watch on for sizing. So, hello Amazon. Not surprised customers are reluctant to shop at the store. Just poor service from lazy uninformed associates.

Had a Moto G4 Plus, dropped it and broke the screen. That one I bought online from Motorola for about $200 with 64G storage. Went to buy replacement at Best Buy for immediate phone usage and was told they only had the 32G version, and it would be about $260. That's $60 more for a phone with half the storage. Then, a few days later, I was reloading apps that the "Geek" missed, just to realize my new overpriced phone, was only 16G. So not only did I get cheated on the price, I also was cheated out of storage. Never will I buy from those people again.

We just bought new appliances for the kitchen. My neighbor said to go to Best Buy. I told him what happened, and now he swears to never go there either, after I showed him the prices online between Best Buy and other local stores. I went to Home Depot instead and got much better prices and service. As a matter of fact, we paid $1700 at Home Depot for items that were over $2500 at Best Buy. We saved over $800 by going somewhere else for the same items. p.s. - the difference between the Home Depot salesman and the Best Buy saleswoman were astronomical. The Home Depot person was attentive and helpful while the Best Buy person was dismissive and not helpful at all.

Purchased a new washer and dryer with installation including adjusting the dryer door to open to the left. Delivery team refused to install dryer telling me "the gas line is live and they can't work on it”. I called my husband and the delivery person in charge refused to speak to him telling me that somebody from their customer service would call (mind you when the team got there the delivery person in charge was speaking to the next customer that they would be there in 25 minutes; that would be impossible if they did the job we paid for). Ended up placing the washer in position without installing and leaving the old dryer in place (we purchased installation as well as the equipment to complete). My husband spent 3 hours that evening switching the dryer door opening, and installing the washer and dryer. WAIT it gets worse.

When the 2nd delivery team arrived to pick up the old dryer; they parked in my neighbors driveway (the previous team at least knew enough to park on the street). As the delivery truck was leaving with the old washer they snapped an old phone line ripping 3 strips of siding off of our house (entire house siding replaced the month before). My neighbor saw them stop... look back and leave. My husband IMMEDIATELY called the number given to him to place a claim. This has been over 6 weeks. My husband has a claim number, but has yet to get a returned call. He has followed up on 3 separate occasions and has yet to get anybody from BEST BUY (aka WORST BUY) to return his call. I will NEVER buy another item from BEST BUY given the unbelievably horrible customer service and follow through.

I recently purchased a Sony TV with a bundle package including a soundbar & subwoofer. I had trouble linking the 2 together and get the base working. I called the local Best Buy, spoke to a Sony rep at the store (Dre) and he actually came out to my house on his break and got me all set up in about 40 minutes. He was great! What a pleasure and he was very courteous, knowledgeable, and professional. Dre should be commended for his service above and beyond normal protocol. Thanks again Dre for getting my family set up with great quality products from Sony!

My wife and I went to Best Buy in Canoga Park CA specifically to purchase a Maytag washing machine. We were determined to buy one that day. The lady salesperson who waited on us mid-transaction (!) looked at her wristwatch and told us she had to leave and handed us over to the ONLY other salesperson in the department. And she was busy setting up an account for another customer and we were told it would be 2 minutes. After 15+ minutes waiting and the line of customers growing STILL with only the single salesperson busy with the SAME customer, we left. That salesperson seeing the line of unattended customers waiting, had requested help and rec'd none. We have rarely shopped at this Best Buy and I seem to recall the same experience some years ago...and that's why!

UPDATE. Fast forward to June 2017. Best Buy never fails to disappoint. Thanks to Bitmining ** out there buying up ALL the video cards on the ** planet, I have had a hard time finding a GTX 1060/1070 anywhere. They are all sold out on Newegg and Amazon. I happened to find ONE on the shelf at Best Buy. I didn't have the budget to purchase it from my bank account so I was going to use credit. I didn't have the credit cards available so I worked with Customer Support to figure that out. They suggested e-gift cards that would be awarded instantly. Well, I bought 2 for $100 and checked my email; NO GIFT CARD! Cool. I had already been there for a good 30-45 minutes. Now I was having to wait longer to see if these gift cards would show up. They never did.

The next day I got an email stating they couldn't be processed, even though I was charged and told they'd be delivered. The email was nice enough to say my credit cards would not be charged, which is a very odd statement considering THEY ALREADY HAD BEEN CHARGED. Now my $200 is in limbo and I can't buy the card from Best Buy. Best Buy blocked me from buying a product from them. I ** hate this store and I don't know why I... Oh ya, all the video cards are sold out for weeks or months, so I gave Best Buy the chance to redeem themselves. By now they would have negative 10 stars if I could do that. This is the gist of the story. There is more to it, but this is enough to explain how horrible this experience has been.

This is the second time they had exclusivity to hardware I wanted for my PC. Before it was a Logitech mouse, this time it is a keyboard. I have Amazon Prime and get free 2 days shipping, otherwise I'd pay for it. When I ordered the mouse through Best Buy it took more than 7 days to get it. What is this 1904?! My GF bought me a keyboard for Xmas early. She had it shipped to the store and it's going to take 2 weeks to get it. This is the holiday season when people need their stuff BEFORE Xmas (not me), but it will take them 2 weeks to get my keyboard?! The keyboard is actually in Chico RIGHT now (about 90 miles away), but they need to take 2 weeks to get mine.

Also, I asked if I could give them my order number if they had keyboards in stock could they swap it out and give it to me on the spot and the schmuck I was talking to said no and seemed so unwilling to help. Once again I am very disappointed with Best Buy and their 1800s shipping methods... I wish I could’ve bought it from ANYONE else.

Needed to exchange a gift I received for mother's day. Fitbit Charge 2... Just needed a smaller size... Same color. Unopened box, they said no receipt. Must give lowest price. Scanned item and said it's not on sale anymore and now I must pay $29.99!!! COULD NOT BELIEVE!!! I just want the same thing just smaller!!! Ask for store manager... Said the same!!! WOW!!! Left store!!! And in parking lot a very unsatisfied customer called to me. She was behind me in line for returns... She explained to me she was returning item never opened and had receipt... Would not take back!! Because it was past due date. DO NOT GO TO THIS STORE!!! IT'S BAD BUY!!! Then called # that I found online... No help at all!!! Said her manager would call me back 5 hours ago (lol)... REALLY!!! DO NOT GO!!! BAD BUY.

Ok, I'm located in Arizona, a techie, and picky about what I buy... And there are times I return a product to Best Buy one too many times where they will warn me that I cannot be allowed another return until 90 days has expired. Now the kicker, I return an item on November 2016 with the 90-day warning notice... So, I did my due diligence and would not purchase anything except for small items or items I was sure about. Now comes 6 months later on May 28, 2017 where I decided to buy an MS Surface Pro M3 model. This was something I wanted to get but not sure if it would meet my needs. I tried it and was a little slow for browsing, etc. So, I decided to return the item on June 7th. I was refused the return because they said I could not return it because I returned too many items recently.

I called the Retail Equation's Customer Service Office (service?) at the store and they said I return an item last November and I could not return an item again for one year... NEWS TO ME! I never received a notice that states this. Usually you have 90 days where you cannot return not 365. So the Retail Equation's Customer Service Office couldn't do anything and of course, Best Buy wouldn't either. So, I had no choice but to call my credit card company and dispute the charge and explained everything to them and they agreed to reverse the charge until Best Buy can resolve the dispute hopefully by accepting my return.

Since I am Best Buy member, they should warn me before I buy an item that it is not returnable, so I can make the right choice when purchasing. So, all in all, if you're fickle like me, you may want to try Amazon, Target, or Fry's Electronics... They are more forgiving. Please note that I don't remember the exact item I returned on November 2016, all I know is this is what the Retail Equation's Customer Service Office told me.

The delivery service lied about delivering my refrigerator yesterday. I waited 3 weeks for the unit, which was on back order. They described my house, but I was home at the time they said they tried. There was no knock on the door or doorbell ringing. I would have heard the truck. I received a call at the time they were supposedly in front of my house. When I went to the door, no one was there. I also received no advance call as is Best Buy's policy. A woman in Il lied that those calls are only a courtesy, but in fact, are standard practice. So I received 3 lies... a) that they tried to make delivery, b) that they tried to deliver the unit and c) that a call-ahead is only a courtesy.

Now I have to wait again for a "reschedule" which actually will be the first attempt. My suspicion is that the driver did not want to make delivery so he made note of my house appearance so he could cover up his lie. I have submitted an escalation, but I don't expect that I'll even receive a callback. After all, they took my money... what else should I want from them?

Best Buy Company Profile