3.82/5

645 Barnes & Noble Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 1, 2019

I had a horrible experience with customer service representatives via phone because they were very hard to understand BUT once I emailed them, within a few hours, I was able to get started on returning my defective Nook e-reader.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I ordered a DVD from them and after it had not arrived a week after expected I contacted the company using the online chat. I explained that my package was never delivered and they said according to their records it was shipped and may have been lost in the process. I assume it was stolen off my front porch as it is Christmas time. The representative promptly offered to replace my item at no charge. I appreciated their flexibility and am very pleased with the experience. I will continue to order from them for years to come.

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I enjoy going to B&N to find a new book. Something about sifting through the selection to find just the right one. The only issue is that sometimes if I look on Amazon the books are cheaper. It will be sad if books stores disappear someday.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

I ordered two pens from Barnes & Noble and they arrived perfectly fine and within a good time frame. I also ordered a 5-piece Body Scrub and Butter set as a gift for my mom. The order kept being delayed and then after about 2 weeks the order was canceled. I was just confused because my other two items arrived fine, but then this just never even delivered. I was pretty disappointed. I even texted a customer service employee, and although she did update me that it would still take time to be delivered, it didn't even reach that stage.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

B&N cancelled my order without contacting me. The only email I received was my order confirmation. Their explanation was that they could not verify my identity. I asked if they had attempted to contact me either by email or phone, they told me it was MY responsibility to contact them and when I didn’t they just canceled my order without notification. Now I have to pay expedited shipping thru another company so that the books are here in time. I brought that up with their sales audit team and they were unconcerned.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barnes and Noble?

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

Barnes and Noble is (was) a major player in this field and now they have decided to put customer service as the lowest priority. The customer service reps "Glen, Sam, Sue and etc" are very convincing as the people that lived just down the street from you and me. They are so poorly trained that they do not understand the difference between a P.O. Box and a physical street address. When they screw up they offer to reship the item and even expedite the order, however they fail to tell you that your will take six days to arrive. I thought expedite meant fast, quickly, rush and so on, maybe it is a language thing. The money they are saving by outsourcing will make up for the switch everyone seems to be making to other venues. The majority of the complaints seem to have a similar theme and yet the corporation appears to not care what we think or want.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

I ordered a used paperback for $1.99 with $4.99 shipping. Not a big deal, but the site said I should receive it in 3-5 days. On the third day I checked the shipping number with USPS. It has not gotten to the post office yet. I called Barnes & Noble and they said they can’t cancel my order. Basically they cannot do anything. A waste of time. They couldn't even give me the phone number of the third party they sent the order to. I looked up the third party Owlsbooks. They go under a few different names. They said they shipped it, and it will take up to three weeks to go from Utah to Colorado. I asked for the method they shipped it. The answer was USPS. They didn't ship the paperback first class.

It was a book my daughter needed for a class. I had to order the book full price and pay expedited shipping because they can’t send a book first class. I'll go to Amazon in the future. And B&N wonders why they are constantly on the verge of bankruptcy. If they said 3 weeks when I was placing the order I would have decided than to either go somewhere else, or wait.

Original review: July 29, 2019

On July 26, 2019 I purchased a book with gift cards totaling $20 and a PayPal payment of $0.08. The Barnes & Noble website lost connection before my purchase could be confirmed therefore I was not given an order number. However, my payment was accepted. Now, Barnes & Noble can't find my order. Furthermore, my gift cards have a zero balance so I cannot place a new order with them. I have spent over an hour talking with a service rep whom I could not understand, chatting online with a very nice lady who ultimately told me to text my issue, and then texting. I have offered "proof" of the transaction via my transaction details report from PayPal. Still no resolution. I have requested either fulfillment of my order or refund of the $20.08 they took in payment. We'll see.

Original review: July 29, 2019

I ordered a book and shipping was $5! When I went to return the product due to some complications they made me pay shipping then too! They didn't even put shipping on the total when I preordered the book! Never ordering from them again.

Original review: July 24, 2019

I ordered a book online, and paid $15.43 for expedited shipping (for delivery in 1-2 days). When it didn't arrive I called customer service and was told it would be arriving in SIX days. I asked them to cancel the order because I needed the book today, I was told "we are not allowed to cancel orders". So I spent 26 minutes on a phone call, $15.43 for shipping for a late book, and will now have to spend my time and gas to return the book when it does arrive. HORRIBLE SERVICE!!!!

Barnes & Noble Company Information