Barnes & Noble
1.01/5
Based on 61 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Barnes & Noble

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 18, 2018

547 Barnes & Noble Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

On 2/12/18, a software update came through on my NOOK Simple Touch. It downloaded with no approval by me and proceeded to erase all of the content I had downloaded onto it. It also erased all of my Shelves. I was irked, but instead went about downloading all my content again. It was then that I realized that 9 titles had been replaced with "Test" files. I checked on the B&N website under my account and found that they had been replaced there too. I contacted customer service and they told me that the update was not one that I should have gotten, so they tried to help me un-update my NOOK. It didn't work and the titles were still missing. I then contacted them again. The next person told me that the update should have gone through and that the titles had been removed from the website by the publisher.

That's fine, but B&N still put an update through that erased content on my device that I had purchased. I was out over $30 worth of books and they refused to replace them or the money. I then called again and gave the order numbers to the third customer service person. This one proceeded to tell me that because the titles had been removed by the publisher, they could not replace them. I figured that I should get my money back for the books that they erased. He gave me a $5 appeasement option. $5 out of a screwed-up $30 order that was not my fault?! It was THEIR update that erased my content off MY NOOK device. Content that I paid for and had downloaded for months before they erased it from the website. Just because a title is taken off the website DOES NOT mean that it should be erased from the devices of the people that have purchased that content in good faith from B&N.

I am canceling my membership, erasing my wishlists, and moving to Amazon. I used to think that brick-and-mortar stores needed help against giants like Amazon. However, it is obviously the HORRIBLE customer service that is driving people away from Barnes and Noble. They should be ashamed of having such a shoddy business model in terms of customer service.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

I ordered a textbook online - since I needed it as soon as the semester started, I paid extra for expedited shipping. When I placed the order, it did not give me any confirmation of when to expect delivery. Two days later (& with no confirmation email), I call to ask - the rep is not able to tell me the status of the order or when delivery is expected - only that it is "processing". More than a week later, I call them again - same story. The rep was totally unhelpful on the phone and can't tell me the status of the order. Later that same day, the package arrives - it's sent UPS with a tracking number, so how can B&N reps not be able to track the order in their system??!

At this point, I had already bought the book elsewhere since I had no idea when it would arrive. I call them again to ask about returns - they say you can return in the store. I go to the store- they won't accept it because it's a textbook (which they apparently don't do returns in store). Am back on the phone with the rep - it takes her a good 5 minutes just to locate my order. She very reluctantly processes the return and emails me the return label (Note: I still won't get a refund for the expedited shipping I paid for - 3x times the regular).

This was the worst customer service experience I have had in a long time. What kind of business sells goods online, takes your payment, but isn't able to tell you the status of your order when they call you? How are they not able to locate this information in your system? How is B&N still in business, in this age of digital shopping? I will never shop with Barnes & Noble again - either online or in store!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

This company is such a shame, they lie just to get your money, apart from the fact that the order takes almost a month to arrive, they don't care about customers and never know how to answer a question. I am very mad. Will never buy again from Barnes & Noble.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

I am a full-time, broke college student. I received a $46 study guide manual as a gift for Christmas (thanks mom), unfortunately the manual was not the right version. By the time my mom was able to recover the receipt, the small gap of a 14-day return policy was gone. $46 is not chump change, the manual was never even opened, I can't believe we can't even get store credit! I will buy from Amazon from now on.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

I ordered a textbook online. It said at checkout that it would take about a week to get to me. Five days later I check again and the book is still "processing" and the estimated shipping date is in another week. I spoke to two customer service representatives just to find out what "processing" means so that I could know where my book is. The first one was like a sloth and I gave up talking to him. The second one was very unhelpful. I asked what it meant for my order to be processing and they answered, "It is being processed."

That day I was emailed that the book was "shipped." But I found out online that the book had actually not been shipped. They had only created a shipping label. The estimated shipping date had changed again too! This morning UPS finally received the package.Taking almost a week just to get a package into the mail scared me. I had already been charged, my book wasn't moving, and it was expensive. The experience makes me too nervous to ever order from Barnes and Noble again. If the book had actually been lost or stuck somewhere, I don't think anyone would have helped me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barnes and Noble?

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

Daughter's Christmas present still not here... It is Feb now :( No replies back when I emailed them back. These kinda companies make one think twice about ordering online... Your credit card gets charged (no worries there), but the goods do not appear (AT ALL). Nice one B&N... Never again dealing with you guys.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

I tried to order a book from the Marketplace, but was concerned when I didn’t receive a confirmation email since I needed the book ASAP. I called into support who told me there was an issue with my browser and the order did not go through. I bought the book elsewhere since I was already annoyed trying to order it online. A week later the book showed up from the Marketplace and my card was charged. I called into support who gave me an email to contact and the email was undeliverable. I called back and verified they had the correct email and they said they will send me a shipping label. I never received the shipping label so I called back and was told that they could not send me one and that they would contact the seller for me and I’d be contacted in 3-4 business days.

I called back on day 6 when I still had no one reach out and was told there’s nothing they can do but try to contact the seller and I would hear back in 3-14 business days. I’m still waiting to hear back, but even if I do hear back they only accept returns within 30 days and by the time I ship it back if they even ever provide the info it will be out of the thirty day range.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

If there was an option to put 0 stars out of 0, I would. This is the worst, and most bureaucratic companies I have ever dealt with. They are money hungry and do not care about what is just in terms of handling customer relations. I am completely disappointed and will never go to Barnes & Noble again. Cherish (supposedly one of the managers), and Jenny (one of the headquarter staff) did not suffice in resolving my concern I have. I initially spent $44 to rent a book for a class. I then returned the book before the 90 day return time-frame, and I was charged for $13 (an extension for the book that was not necessary), and an extra $79.99 (for the book, since "they did not receive it").

I can get my money back in multiple ways; that is not the point. The point is that Barnes and Noble is a money hungry company that does not provide ANY customer service, and aggravates customers. After my dispute is over with Barnes and Noble, I will complain about them to everybody I know, including spreading my horrible experience on my social media, and making sure others know that Barnes & Noble isn't a company that truly cares about the experience of its customers, but merely cares about money. I will never step foot in a Barnes and Noble Again.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

I went through Barnes and Noble to order my books for school this semester. I am a nursing student and had to have these books by a certain time. I ordered them 2 weeks before I needed them and paid extra to get them shipped faster. They should have been here with a week to spare. I started calling them on the day they were supposed to be delivered and they were still in the warehouse.

Finally I had to call the post office in which they told me that Barnes and Noble had shipped them the cheapest possible way even after I paid to upgrade the shipping. They put the wrong address on my package, also. So, when I talked to a customer service representative they told me there was nothing they could do but re-send them and it would take at least another week to get them. This is unacceptable. I finally ended up having to order them from Amazon (where I ended up finding them much cheaper anyway), but I had to pay an extra $30 to get next day shipping because I have to have them. Never again will I order anything from Barnes and Noble.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

I am writing this because I am a nursing student who ordered a required textbook over two weeks ago, and it still has not even shipped. I ordered from B&N because I usually like them, and have never had any problems; but this time I did. I have spoken with four different reps, and the first three told me different things; they basically had no idea what was going on. One said my book was out of stock, and didn't know when it would be back in stock. Well they should have something on the website stating the book is out of stick before I ordered it. The second rep said it had already shipped and was due to be delivered 1/17/2018; I never received it. My order still says processing and clearly hasn't shipped. So I called a 3rd time, and the rep said she would put in a request for the warehouse to hurry. I had to go to my University bookstore and buy the book because I have a test next week and still had no book.

Still nothing today, I called again; and I am mad this time and asked them to cancel the whole order and not bother with it anymore. She told me I could return it whenever it ships and be refunded, that it was in process and not able to be cancelled now; well it has been in process for almost 2 weeks. This is just ridiculous, and I never write bad reviews on companies. The reps clearly don't care and just sound like they read straight out of a book, not real responses. I will not be ordering online here again.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

I ordered online. I had 2 books delivered to the facility in a separate order and the other 2 books were denied the shipment because it was delivered via UPS not US Mail, after I called and they said it would be delivered by US Mail. The 2 books were returned to the warehouse. Had I not found out, I would not even know that the books were not delivered. I have been waiting 2 weeks for a refund of my order. I have the tracking numbers and the total shipment progress. I called 1 week ago inquiring about the refund and nothing was done. I talked today and they said I will get an email confirmation of the refund back onto my credit card account. The last customer service representative did not even give me that information. I do not believe he did anything, they had no record of my call! I will NEVER order from this company again EVER.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

I bought some books on behalf of my organization, a non-profit, for which I was to be reimbursed by the company. I called customer service to make sure that I could do that with my personal card and get the tax exemption. They told me I could, and to just submit the tax form to their tax exemption team. They sent the form back to me because I didn't put down Barnes & Noble on the form. Okay; don't see why you need to make the customer do extra work that's extremely simple, but no big deal. They then denied it claiming that purchases with my personal card could not be exempted in my state. I had done this many times before with other companies, so I was surprised. I researched and found out this was true. But why, then, did the customer service team say otherwise? This company has an entire team dedicated to taxes. Why aren't they communicating, or giving access to information about these matters, to customer service?

Also, why couldn't I talk to the tax administrators over the phone? "We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause." Apology not accepted. I got charged $10 I should not have been charged due to the inefficiency and lack of knowledge by the customer service team. I do not blame the individual representatives. I blame their quality and training service system. These poor people didn't know how to help me. And by the way, these are probably poor folks in India being exploited/underpaid by a big company. It's sad. Certainly it is on me that I did not know this rule, but I do not plan to do business with Barnes & Noble ever again.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

Last night I purchased a Nook book on the Barnes and Noble website for my daughter. (Which the site allows to purchase as a Nook book.) It stated we will see the book in her library to download. Never saw it. After doing a search for it, it stated on the actual nook the book is not compatible for the Nook. Today I spoke with a Christopher Anthony on the Live Chat. He stated he was refunding as a one time courtesy and she will not be allowed to purchase this book again. When I explained it allowed me on their website he told me I should have done more research to make sure it was compatible!!! This is crazy!!!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

Ordered an Xmas gift through Barnes & Noble. Was shipped the wrong item. Called customer services & was told the item was no longer available & that "orders are subject to change". EXACT QUOTE. So if they don't have what you want they swap it out to something else. Was told I would receive gift card as inconvenience. Called today to follow up and they cannot find in their notes any such conversation. I provided the reference # given to me & they still cannot find. My word against theirs. My advice - order from Amazon.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

Ordered book from BN.com for delivery 12/22/17. Informed by customer service book isn't in stock, don't know when or if it'll be in stock, but because the order is at their warehouse and listed as "released" (although they don't have the book and can't fulfill the order) they refuse to cancel the order. They'll ship the book if and when it comes in - weeks, days, months, they have no idea - and then I get to waste my time shipping the book back to them and waiting yet another 7-10 business days for refund because they refuse to cancel the order they can't fulfill. Had to get PayPal involved to get my money back. NEVER shop BN.com!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

I am going to be rethinking each and every single purchase I make in a Barnes and Noble brick and mortar store from now on. I have only one B&N that is an actual regular B&N (books, toys, cafe, etc) that is actually accessible to me. All the others are textbook stores. The employee in this regular B&N are the worst I've ever seen. They are total morons! Either they don't know how to load a gift card, ring up a coupon or gift card, or even worse, ring up something totally different from what you're actually buying resulting in a higher price.

I just can't understand why B&N REFUSES to properly train their employees. Also I will make sure what I'm buying with plastic (if I have to) it WON'T be returned. I don't know when, but B&N has changed their return policy. I had to return an earbud case because it was not a good fit for what I wanted to use it for and I stupidly paid for it with a debit card. Instead of getting the money put back on my card, I had to accept cash or a store credit. That isn't right! I've returned so many things to other stores that I paid for with plastic and ALWAYS got a credit on my card.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

They steal your money!!! I bought the membership and was told to buy more to get more coupons by their sales audit group. They then cancelled my memberships with 11 months left and not given even a prorated refund. They were very rude and did not communicate until I sent a formal complaint in. They are incompetent and rude in a time when business like theirs are failing.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

I likely would have given a higher rating due to the quick delivery date and seemingly fair prices, but the fine print of their policy is utterly malicious. They should not be able to send me a book full of highlights, marks, and rips, then accuse me of damaging their book when I RECEIVED the book as such and did not make a SINGLE marking in it whatsoever. They should know what condition they are mailing these books in; it should not be the renter's responsibility to tell them.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

The automated phone system does not recognize anything you say. It keeps saying "I didn't get that". When I say representative, it responds that it does not recognize representative, even though it tells one to say representative to talk to a human. WHAT A MESS. I have never experienced such a mess. We have been members for decades, but I don't think we will renew again. B&N has become a DISASTER.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

I placed an order for three books on 12 November, 2017 with a promised delivery date of 15 November, 2015. One book arrived on 15 November. The remaining two are scheduled by USPS to be delivered on 24 November. I could have ordered the same books on Amazon and they would have delivered on 15 November. I thought it would be good to give Barnes & Noble some business because I always enjoy visiting their stores. When I contacted B&N, I received a reply back written by what appeared to be an outsourced service, and the reply contained no useful information. Since I am leaving on a trip, I will not have the two books with me. So the lesson is, buy in the store or order from Amazon. Sorry B&N. You really lost another customer for poor performance. Not meeting a promise date is bad. Not meeting it by 9 days is unforgivable.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

I'm paid $25 to be a B&N; member and they couldn't accommodate 1 small request? Purchased over $100 in books on 8/17/2017 which entitled me to a $15 reward card but I had to wait for the card to be e-mailed to me to use it. It arrived on 10/15/17. I went to use it on 11/4 but it expired on 11/1. I had a horrible experience with B&N; customer service (see below) team and after all that... Nothing.

Today November 17 and still no reply. Still disgusted! Shop elsewhere everyone. I know I will! It has been a few days now and no reply. Since I'm off today I decided to call and follow up. I waited the 45 minutes on hold and was hung up on. I immediately called back and spoke to Carlo who quickly passed me over to a manager Bree. After going over this request for the 5th time totally frustrated Bree decided to hang up on me after telling me she couldn't honor my reward request. No was not the answer. I'm fully disgusted with Barnes and Noble as a member. Awful customer service! I wasted hours chasing a $15 reward just so I could give it back to you. Beyond Disappointed!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

Ordered a book for my husband and I on October 22, 2017 from Barnes & Noble. The book wasn’t available but it was suggested by the site to use a marketplace seller. I paid extra to ship the book for our retreat and when the book didn’t arrive on the Oct 16, 2017 I was annoyed. I checked my email confirmation and it stated, Oct 23, 2017. I am angry but I say fine. Please keep in mind, I have NEVER received one tracking number or correspondence. Monday Oct 23, 2017 comes no book, Tuesday, and Wednesday comes so I decide to call.

Preemptively Monday Oct 23, 2017 (the expected arrival date) I email the seller; I received no answer! I called Barnes & Noble “well ma’am you have to wait 5 days.” “Huh? Excuse me miss, I was promised Oct 16. I paid extra. I remained patient! "Today is Oct 25 and I still must wait?” Yes! Today is Sunday Oct 29 and I just got off the phone. “Sorry to hear about this issue. I will reach out to our marketplace team. The team will request a response and email you within 2 to 3 business days. Please check your spam.”

I am extremely perturbed at this point and I calmly express my dissatisfaction with the process, service, and accountability. “Ma’am it’s the process but I promised we will respond.” With all due respect, you promised me a book on two different dates and you have not fulfilled that agreement yet. Amazon, process your request right away. I never I have to deal with this. I will NEVER EVER purchase from them again. Barnes & Noble has sinked to garbage. You charged my card not the marketplace. Whatever third party payoff is has nothing to do with me. DO NOT BUY!!! TRY AMAZON!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

When I tried to order a book recently from Barnes & Noble, I was advised it was not in stock but I could purchase it new or used from its B&N Marketplace. So that's what I did. The only problem, the book I was sent does not match its seller's description: "Very Good… former library copy… Appears to be unread." If it was unread, then, who tore out the first page? The seller made No mention of that little problem!!! And she should have considering the cost of the book: $29.45 (plus $3.99 shipping). Needless to say, I won't be buying another book from B&N or B&N Marketplace.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I signed up for the B&N Book Club in Dec of 2015. The cost was $25 per year but they charged me $27.25 to include tax. I obviously did not read the fine prints. There is no discount on NOOK books which I mostly read. If you buy online, there is free shipping but no 10% member discount. If you buy books from a store, the 10% discount is stacked on top of other discounts. Hence you do not get the full 10% discount unless you paid full price on the book. The store prices are usually higher than the online prices since B&N has to compete with Amazon. These "benefits" were never fully explained to me. You have to read the fine prints.

After realizing that since I buy mostly NOOK books and the membership gives no discount, I soon realize that the membership fee of $27.25 is of little value to me. Hence I decided not to renew for another term and I ignored the membership renewal notice so membership would expire on its own. The problem is when you signed up for membership, you automatically agreed to auto renewal. They charge your credit card about 30 days before the renewal date (why so early?). There is a good chance that you do not realize that they had already renewed your membership. I certainly did not realize. There was also no confirmation from B&N that the membership has been renewed.

Because I thought I did not renew my membership, I did not provide my membership number to store clerks on the few store purchases I made during the year. When I finally realized that my membership has been renewed, I wanted to cancel immediately and get a pro-rata refund. The fine print says no cancellation after 30 days. The customer service also says no retro credit on purchases. They did offer me a 20% coupon to use in 30 days. I think the membership is set up in a very sleazy way to take advantage of customers. I do not recommend the membership and if you do get to become a member, be sure to opt out of the automatic renewal provision.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

I purchased on the marketplace for the first time back last month and I am still waiting for my package to arrive. They are asking consumers to give their sellers 3 weeks to ship a book to their house which is completely out of the norm for the eCommerce world. Everybody else in the industry is 5-7 business days. When I asked for a explanation for why they were taking this long all I got was a boilerplate policy answer. I can tell all of you that the money you may save with using the marketplace is not worth the trouble and frustration that you will go through in return.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

Barnes & Noble let me down big time, they did not deliver, they provided erroneous information. After numerous attempts to learn status of my order, I finally had to cancel my order. This had a big impact on my son not having books for school. Their system did not tell me that the books I ordered were out of stock. So beware if you order a book, they may not have it. I explained their several errors to their supervisors... Barnes & Noble did not make it right... I beg you not to buy from them... Worst and only on-line buying experience I have ever had.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

I have rented textbooks from Barnes and Noble several times in the past with no problem until this past summer. I rented a textbook and never got a reminder email to mail it back. (I had ordered other books as well and just thought they were all due on the same date... I did get email reminders for those books). All of a sudden I got charged a purchase price today. $42+ for a book I will never use again! I chatted with an agent who said there was no way I could return it! They said I got an email (which if I did I would have returned the book).

You would think they would give a customer some leeway after renting from them several times in the past. But they are rigid and unreasonable. I told the rep I would never do business with them again and he/she was like "Oh we value your opinion..." Uh no you don't because if you did you would work with me and let me return this book! NEVER EVER RENT FROM BARNES AND NOBLE! They will screw you over at some point!!!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

This is not my first time renting with Barnes and Noble. This time I rented three textbooks from Barnes and Noble, this came out to a total of $125.77. As my textbooks were being shipped they charged me again. They are being shipped separately, I was charged $24.43 for the first shipment and $101.34 for the second shipment. So I was charged a total of $251.54. I called Barnes and Noble asking why I was charged again and they responded with, "it's a pre-authorization" charge. They never told me about this charge. They had never done this in the previous orders I had made. It makes absolutely no sense that I would have to pay this "pre-authorization" charge AND the price of the order I placed. They charged me without my knowledge or authorization. On top of that they are sending my packages to the wrong address and won't fix it. Will not be ordering from them again! I am deeply disappointed.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2017

I rented a textbook from Barnes and Noble for the first time since it wasn't available on Amazon. When it was time to return the book, I printed off the shipping label and went to my local UPS store and shipped it out a few days prior to the return date. (It just has to be post stamped the return date, not received) This was in May. I received an email the other day they were trying to charge my account for a late payment for my textbook. I look at my bank statement and they CHARGED me the full price of the text book on July 23.

I called them today to get a tracking number and they gave that to me and I had to ask many questions for them to finally tell me they RECEIVED my text book on MAY 31. I asked why they charged my card for the full price of the book and they told me it was a pending charge, when it wasn't. It was on my bank statement. It took about 10 minutes on the phone after that to try and get a refund. It should take a few business days to refund back to my card so we shall see. I will never rent from Barnes and Noble again. Stick to Amazon and Chegg.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

I was renting textbooks from BNB for a few years now and never had an issue until now. With life's busy schedule I forgot to return a book back, which I never received a reminder for. Now they will not take the book back even though it's a few days late and they charged me over $200 for a used book! I tried to reach out to them and all they told me is they are sorry. I understand it is in their policy but for a customer who is always on time with everything and one time was a few days late this is what they do. On top of that charge so much money for a ripped up used book! They told me to contact their buyback program and they don't even want the book! Horrible service. Will never rent from them again. Beware you will get screwed if you miss the dateline.

Barnes & Noble Company Information

Barnes and Noble
www.barnesandnoble.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use