1.01/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 22, 2018

556 Barnes & Noble Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 22, 2018

I have ordered book through this Shame of a company that I hope will get closed soon!!! They have charged me 160$ for an used book for rental, they have hidden fees and policies and I had no idea that books ordered through them are supposed to be return 2 weeks before finals!!! They have charged me additional money and the price of new book for a rental, I called them and try to talk about it with them but they told me they do not care and they will not refund me!!! I am praying for Amazon to close them soon and I will never ever buy anything or order anything with this stupid company!!!

Original review: April 10, 2018

I ordered a book and paid for shipping. The book is in NJ, I am in ATL. Why is it going to take 3 weeks to get my book. Even with USPS it would take a few days. The book is not old. Just go to Amazon. Horrible.

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 5, 2018

Buyers do NOT buy ebook for your children!! STICK with AMAZON. Their format is stuck in the Ice Ages. Tried to send a gift to my daughter. Spent all day trying to open or login in. There was not any special message to let you know anything just loop back around to login. Well, all kids must have a CREDIT CARD associated with their email to use. Yes, it was a kid's book! After, live chat, 3 customer service people, they were saying no refund and could not email to another address. They gave me a COURTESTY one time REFUND! The One star is not even deserved.

Original review: April 3, 2018

If I could give ZERO stars I would. As a Pre-Med student at WIU I feel COMPLETELY robbed by Barnes & Noble. DO NOT rent textbooks from them. I have purchased books for leisurely reading, but after my experience they will NEVER make a dime off of me again. I pay loads to rent a USED dissection manual and then it's missing pages. Then when I call nothing can be done because it's been past the 21 days. NO REFUND. NO REPLACEMENT. I can understand the no refund, but why is a book with missing pages being rented to me in the first place??? Do they just get the book and rewrap it in plastic and call it a day? Customer Service quickly transferred me to a supervisor and the supervisor did nothing but same. The SAME thing the employee said and then stayed quiet when I asked what I'm supposed to do with the book if it's missing pages. NEVER renting from here again. I'll stick to other site where they care about college kids.

Original review: March 28, 2018

Why I will never ever order from https://www.barnesandnoble.com/ AGAIN!!! I spent some time looking for a book for my C# class. Checked out Amazon as usual, did general search and found brand new book on bn.com. It was actually same price as offers from Amazon for used books. Got all excited. They accept PayPal. SWEET. Seems like it would be a straightforward process right? Nope. Clicked - not authorized - ok then. Clicked again. Not authorized - checked PayPal. Sure enough the charges are there, no way to cancel and for some reason there is an address where I lived 3 years ago! I cant even find that address on my PayPal account.

This is why Amazon is expanding and BN is suffering. Customer service. I wanted to save few dollars, wanted to support the bookstore and I promise I will never try this again. They also have a coupon "free shipping over 25$" - book was 34$. Didn't qualify for free shipping, no explanation why except red letters contact customer service. What a waste of my time. Now I will cancel both transactions and go order my book off Amazon. My BN account also doesnt show actual order. Oh but PayPal shows pending.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barnes and Noble?

Original review: March 26, 2018

This manager (in Savannah Georgia) is ultra rude to her customers by the name of Jackie, a ** female in her 60s with glasses and a close-cropped haircut. If this female is rude to her customers, I can only imagine how she treats her employees because, I've noticed a high turnover of employees in that store. This person needs to be fired immediately. She sets a bad example for Barnes & Noble.

Original review: March 16, 2018

I will not purchase at B & N. After explaining that I've purchased and paid for new books, corporate customer relations gave the excuse that these books are 5 years old and have been sitting on the shelf for a very long time. They also offered a 5.00 gift card as if that's really going to be worth anything. Honestly, what can I do with 5.00? I spent over 150.00. Then they stated that 10% will be deducted. Neither option is suitable especially when a student counts in these books. B & N should be investigated for misleading customers. This is extremely poor business practices.

Original review: March 6, 2018

I was told at the checkout counter that enrolling as a BARNES & NOBLE member would ensure me a once a month FREE DRINK for a year at their Starbucks within their store, and 40% off hardcover books. As it turns out, I've tried to redeem my FREE DRINK at the Starbucks 2 months in a row, only to be told that I would still owe money for adding a flavor to my latte, and for asking for Almond milk. Nowhere on the coupon is there a statement that there is an extra fee for add-ons.

I've called the customer service number on my Barnes & Noble membership card both months to try to resolve this problem. The first time I was granted a free drink because the coupon did claim "no additional fee" for adding flavors, etc. This month, the coupon has been changed and does not say "no additional fee" for adding extras - but as stated above, nowhere does it state that there is an additional fee for adding on flavoring or changing the drink... size of drink doesn't matter apparently, as you can get any size drink for free, as long as there aren't any added flavors or a change in the milk. The customer service rep. for Barnes & Noble this month was very unpleasant and unapologetic, and doesn't appear to have been trained in the nature of this coupon deal provided to new members.

Then I also want to complain that 40% off advertised for hardcover books - doesn't apply to all hardcover books, which I discovered at the checkout counter as well. I declined to take the book, as I was told when I joined the membership last month, that the 40% discount applied to all hardcover books. So - I claim false advertisement is being given out to prospective members but the reality is that the company doesn't honor its promises. I won't shop with Barnes & Noble any longer and will purchase books through Amazon. This could have all been avoided with proper training of employees, managers and the Starbucks personnel, and by NOT changing coupons that have already been promised to membership clients.

Original review: March 4, 2018

I'd give 0 stars if possible. Been getting the runaround with them for a month now. Wasting my time. They don't know how to serve a customer. I'd preordered a book. During the time for electronic delivery I'd updated my account with them. Apparently that process was too much for them. Had to cancel my order. All they needed to do was resubmit it. But to no avail, I wasn't given that option. And they don't know how to pick up a phone and dial a number.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

On 2/12/18, a software update came through on my NOOK Simple Touch. It downloaded with no approval by me and proceeded to erase all of the content I had downloaded onto it. It also erased all of my Shelves. I was irked, but instead went about downloading all my content again. It was then that I realized that 9 titles had been replaced with "Test" files. I checked on the B&N website under my account and found that they had been replaced there too. I contacted customer service and they told me that the update was not one that I should have gotten, so they tried to help me un-update my NOOK. It didn't work and the titles were still missing. I then contacted them again. The next person told me that the update should have gone through and that the titles had been removed from the website by the publisher.

That's fine, but B&N still put an update through that erased content on my device that I had purchased. I was out over $30 worth of books and they refused to replace them or the money. I then called again and gave the order numbers to the third customer service person. This one proceeded to tell me that because the titles had been removed by the publisher, they could not replace them. I figured that I should get my money back for the books that they erased. He gave me a $5 appeasement option. $5 out of a screwed-up $30 order that was not my fault?! It was THEIR update that erased my content off MY NOOK device. Content that I paid for and had downloaded for months before they erased it from the website. Just because a title is taken off the website DOES NOT mean that it should be erased from the devices of the people that have purchased that content in good faith from B&N.

I am canceling my membership, erasing my wishlists, and moving to Amazon. I used to think that brick-and-mortar stores needed help against giants like Amazon. However, it is obviously the HORRIBLE customer service that is driving people away from Barnes and Noble. They should be ashamed of having such a shoddy business model in terms of customer service.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

I ordered a textbook online - since I needed it as soon as the semester started, I paid extra for expedited shipping. When I placed the order, it did not give me any confirmation of when to expect delivery. Two days later (& with no confirmation email), I call to ask - the rep is not able to tell me the status of the order or when delivery is expected - only that it is "processing". More than a week later, I call them again - same story. The rep was totally unhelpful on the phone and can't tell me the status of the order. Later that same day, the package arrives - it's sent UPS with a tracking number, so how can B&N reps not be able to track the order in their system??!

At this point, I had already bought the book elsewhere since I had no idea when it would arrive. I call them again to ask about returns - they say you can return in the store. I go to the store- they won't accept it because it's a textbook (which they apparently don't do returns in store). Am back on the phone with the rep - it takes her a good 5 minutes just to locate my order. She very reluctantly processes the return and emails me the return label (Note: I still won't get a refund for the expedited shipping I paid for - 3x times the regular).

This was the worst customer service experience I have had in a long time. What kind of business sells goods online, takes your payment, but isn't able to tell you the status of your order when they call you? How are they not able to locate this information in your system? How is B&N still in business, in this age of digital shopping? I will never shop with Barnes & Noble again - either online or in store!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

This company is such a shame, they lie just to get your money, apart from the fact that the order takes almost a month to arrive, they don't care about customers and never know how to answer a question. I am very mad. Will never buy again from Barnes & Noble.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

I am a full-time, broke college student. I received a $46 study guide manual as a gift for Christmas (thanks mom), unfortunately the manual was not the right version. By the time my mom was able to recover the receipt, the small gap of a 14-day return policy was gone. $46 is not chump change, the manual was never even opened, I can't believe we can't even get store credit! I will buy from Amazon from now on.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

I ordered a textbook online. It said at checkout that it would take about a week to get to me. Five days later I check again and the book is still "processing" and the estimated shipping date is in another week. I spoke to two customer service representatives just to find out what "processing" means so that I could know where my book is. The first one was like a sloth and I gave up talking to him. The second one was very unhelpful. I asked what it meant for my order to be processing and they answered, "It is being processed."

That day I was emailed that the book was "shipped." But I found out online that the book had actually not been shipped. They had only created a shipping label. The estimated shipping date had changed again too! This morning UPS finally received the package.Taking almost a week just to get a package into the mail scared me. I had already been charged, my book wasn't moving, and it was expensive. The experience makes me too nervous to ever order from Barnes and Noble again. If the book had actually been lost or stuck somewhere, I don't think anyone would have helped me.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

Daughter's Christmas present still not here... It is Feb now :( No replies back when I emailed them back. These kinda companies make one think twice about ordering online... Your credit card gets charged (no worries there), but the goods do not appear (AT ALL). Nice one B&N... Never again dealing with you guys.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

I tried to order a book from the Marketplace, but was concerned when I didn’t receive a confirmation email since I needed the book ASAP. I called into support who told me there was an issue with my browser and the order did not go through. I bought the book elsewhere since I was already annoyed trying to order it online. A week later the book showed up from the Marketplace and my card was charged. I called into support who gave me an email to contact and the email was undeliverable. I called back and verified they had the correct email and they said they will send me a shipping label. I never received the shipping label so I called back and was told that they could not send me one and that they would contact the seller for me and I’d be contacted in 3-4 business days.

I called back on day 6 when I still had no one reach out and was told there’s nothing they can do but try to contact the seller and I would hear back in 3-14 business days. I’m still waiting to hear back, but even if I do hear back they only accept returns within 30 days and by the time I ship it back if they even ever provide the info it will be out of the thirty day range.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

If there was an option to put 0 stars out of 0, I would. This is the worst, and most bureaucratic companies I have ever dealt with. They are money hungry and do not care about what is just in terms of handling customer relations. I am completely disappointed and will never go to Barnes & Noble again. Cherish (supposedly one of the managers), and Jenny (one of the headquarter staff) did not suffice in resolving my concern I have. I initially spent $44 to rent a book for a class. I then returned the book before the 90 day return time-frame, and I was charged for $13 (an extension for the book that was not necessary), and an extra $79.99 (for the book, since "they did not receive it").

I can get my money back in multiple ways; that is not the point. The point is that Barnes and Noble is a money hungry company that does not provide ANY customer service, and aggravates customers. After my dispute is over with Barnes and Noble, I will complain about them to everybody I know, including spreading my horrible experience on my social media, and making sure others know that Barnes & Noble isn't a company that truly cares about the experience of its customers, but merely cares about money. I will never step foot in a Barnes and Noble Again.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

I went through Barnes and Noble to order my books for school this semester. I am a nursing student and had to have these books by a certain time. I ordered them 2 weeks before I needed them and paid extra to get them shipped faster. They should have been here with a week to spare. I started calling them on the day they were supposed to be delivered and they were still in the warehouse.

Finally I had to call the post office in which they told me that Barnes and Noble had shipped them the cheapest possible way even after I paid to upgrade the shipping. They put the wrong address on my package, also. So, when I talked to a customer service representative they told me there was nothing they could do but re-send them and it would take at least another week to get them. This is unacceptable. I finally ended up having to order them from Amazon (where I ended up finding them much cheaper anyway), but I had to pay an extra $30 to get next day shipping because I have to have them. Never again will I order anything from Barnes and Noble.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

I am writing this because I am a nursing student who ordered a required textbook over two weeks ago, and it still has not even shipped. I ordered from B&N because I usually like them, and have never had any problems; but this time I did. I have spoken with four different reps, and the first three told me different things; they basically had no idea what was going on. One said my book was out of stock, and didn't know when it would be back in stock. Well they should have something on the website stating the book is out of stick before I ordered it. The second rep said it had already shipped and was due to be delivered 1/17/2018; I never received it. My order still says processing and clearly hasn't shipped. So I called a 3rd time, and the rep said she would put in a request for the warehouse to hurry. I had to go to my University bookstore and buy the book because I have a test next week and still had no book.

Still nothing today, I called again; and I am mad this time and asked them to cancel the whole order and not bother with it anymore. She told me I could return it whenever it ships and be refunded, that it was in process and not able to be cancelled now; well it has been in process for almost 2 weeks. This is just ridiculous, and I never write bad reviews on companies. The reps clearly don't care and just sound like they read straight out of a book, not real responses. I will not be ordering online here again.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

I ordered online. I had 2 books delivered to the facility in a separate order and the other 2 books were denied the shipment because it was delivered via UPS not US Mail, after I called and they said it would be delivered by US Mail. The 2 books were returned to the warehouse. Had I not found out, I would not even know that the books were not delivered. I have been waiting 2 weeks for a refund of my order. I have the tracking numbers and the total shipment progress. I called 1 week ago inquiring about the refund and nothing was done. I talked today and they said I will get an email confirmation of the refund back onto my credit card account. The last customer service representative did not even give me that information. I do not believe he did anything, they had no record of my call! I will NEVER order from this company again EVER.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

I bought some books on behalf of my organization, a non-profit, for which I was to be reimbursed by the company. I called customer service to make sure that I could do that with my personal card and get the tax exemption. They told me I could, and to just submit the tax form to their tax exemption team. They sent the form back to me because I didn't put down Barnes & Noble on the form. Okay; don't see why you need to make the customer do extra work that's extremely simple, but no big deal. They then denied it claiming that purchases with my personal card could not be exempted in my state. I had done this many times before with other companies, so I was surprised. I researched and found out this was true. But why, then, did the customer service team say otherwise? This company has an entire team dedicated to taxes. Why aren't they communicating, or giving access to information about these matters, to customer service?

Also, why couldn't I talk to the tax administrators over the phone? "We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause." Apology not accepted. I got charged $10 I should not have been charged due to the inefficiency and lack of knowledge by the customer service team. I do not blame the individual representatives. I blame their quality and training service system. These poor people didn't know how to help me. And by the way, these are probably poor folks in India being exploited/underpaid by a big company. It's sad. Certainly it is on me that I did not know this rule, but I do not plan to do business with Barnes & Noble ever again.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

Last night I purchased a Nook book on the Barnes and Noble website for my daughter. (Which the site allows to purchase as a Nook book.) It stated we will see the book in her library to download. Never saw it. After doing a search for it, it stated on the actual nook the book is not compatible for the Nook. Today I spoke with a Christopher Anthony on the Live Chat. He stated he was refunding as a one time courtesy and she will not be allowed to purchase this book again. When I explained it allowed me on their website he told me I should have done more research to make sure it was compatible!!! This is crazy!!!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

Ordered an Xmas gift through Barnes & Noble. Was shipped the wrong item. Called customer services & was told the item was no longer available & that "orders are subject to change". EXACT QUOTE. So if they don't have what you want they swap it out to something else. Was told I would receive gift card as inconvenience. Called today to follow up and they cannot find in their notes any such conversation. I provided the reference # given to me & they still cannot find. My word against theirs. My advice - order from Amazon.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

Ordered book from BN.com for delivery 12/22/17. Informed by customer service book isn't in stock, don't know when or if it'll be in stock, but because the order is at their warehouse and listed as "released" (although they don't have the book and can't fulfill the order) they refuse to cancel the order. They'll ship the book if and when it comes in - weeks, days, months, they have no idea - and then I get to waste my time shipping the book back to them and waiting yet another 7-10 business days for refund because they refuse to cancel the order they can't fulfill. Had to get PayPal involved to get my money back. NEVER shop BN.com!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

I am going to be rethinking each and every single purchase I make in a Barnes and Noble brick and mortar store from now on. I have only one B&N that is an actual regular B&N (books, toys, cafe, etc) that is actually accessible to me. All the others are textbook stores. The employee in this regular B&N are the worst I've ever seen. They are total morons! Either they don't know how to load a gift card, ring up a coupon or gift card, or even worse, ring up something totally different from what you're actually buying resulting in a higher price.

I just can't understand why B&N REFUSES to properly train their employees. Also I will make sure what I'm buying with plastic (if I have to) it WON'T be returned. I don't know when, but B&N has changed their return policy. I had to return an earbud case because it was not a good fit for what I wanted to use it for and I stupidly paid for it with a debit card. Instead of getting the money put back on my card, I had to accept cash or a store credit. That isn't right! I've returned so many things to other stores that I paid for with plastic and ALWAYS got a credit on my card.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

They steal your money!!! I bought the membership and was told to buy more to get more coupons by their sales audit group. They then cancelled my memberships with 11 months left and not given even a prorated refund. They were very rude and did not communicate until I sent a formal complaint in. They are incompetent and rude in a time when business like theirs are failing.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

I likely would have given a higher rating due to the quick delivery date and seemingly fair prices, but the fine print of their policy is utterly malicious. They should not be able to send me a book full of highlights, marks, and rips, then accuse me of damaging their book when I RECEIVED the book as such and did not make a SINGLE marking in it whatsoever. They should know what condition they are mailing these books in; it should not be the renter's responsibility to tell them.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

The automated phone system does not recognize anything you say. It keeps saying "I didn't get that". When I say representative, it responds that it does not recognize representative, even though it tells one to say representative to talk to a human. WHAT A MESS. I have never experienced such a mess. We have been members for decades, but I don't think we will renew again. B&N has become a DISASTER.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

I placed an order for three books on 12 November, 2017 with a promised delivery date of 15 November, 2015. One book arrived on 15 November. The remaining two are scheduled by USPS to be delivered on 24 November. I could have ordered the same books on Amazon and they would have delivered on 15 November. I thought it would be good to give Barnes & Noble some business because I always enjoy visiting their stores. When I contacted B&N, I received a reply back written by what appeared to be an outsourced service, and the reply contained no useful information. Since I am leaving on a trip, I will not have the two books with me. So the lesson is, buy in the store or order from Amazon. Sorry B&N. You really lost another customer for poor performance. Not meeting a promise date is bad. Not meeting it by 9 days is unforgivable.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

I'm paid $25 to be a B&N; member and they couldn't accommodate 1 small request? Purchased over $100 in books on 8/17/2017 which entitled me to a $15 reward card but I had to wait for the card to be e-mailed to me to use it. It arrived on 10/15/17. I went to use it on 11/4 but it expired on 11/1. I had a horrible experience with B&N; customer service (see below) team and after all that... Nothing.

Today November 17 and still no reply. Still disgusted! Shop elsewhere everyone. I know I will! It has been a few days now and no reply. Since I'm off today I decided to call and follow up. I waited the 45 minutes on hold and was hung up on. I immediately called back and spoke to Carlo who quickly passed me over to a manager Bree. After going over this request for the 5th time totally frustrated Bree decided to hang up on me after telling me she couldn't honor my reward request. No was not the answer. I'm fully disgusted with Barnes and Noble as a member. Awful customer service! I wasted hours chasing a $15 reward just so I could give it back to you. Beyond Disappointed!

Barnes & Noble Company Information