1.19/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

616 Barnes & Noble Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

Tried to buy a NOOK book. I've bought hundreds in the past but B&N wants me to change my password first. Had a choice of email or security question. Email first. They sent me nothing so I tried the security question. But they don't believe me on my Father's middle name. Huh? No place to get help without logging in and of course you can't without changing password first. So I ordered from Amazon.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I was using both B&N.com for book purchases, and press.barnesandnoble.com for publishing my own books. Towards the end of January, B&N forced a password change on me against my will. I changed my password. From that point onwards I have been unable to log into press.barnesandnoble.com. I have traded several emails with B&N and nothing has been done. My last email until I sent another one today, was a week ago and they ignored it. They are effectively holding my published work hostage because I cannot get to it. I am now reduced to filing consumer complaints and trying to contact people at B&N by phone.

This same thing happened to me before, a couple of months ago when I last changed my password, I had exactly the same problem and it took over a week to resolve it. This time they act as if they don't give a damn if it ever gets resolved. This is unacceptable. My advice is not to do any business with B&N. They're incompetent and they simply do not care, period.

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

They are the worst online book store I have ever dealt with. I placed an order online and less than ten minutes later I tried to cancel the item and I could not. I have never had that problem with other book stores. And a warning all prices on the website are in America dollars.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I had ordered a book online for a gift. When it arrived, before I even opened it, I saw it was damaged. The next day I went to the B & N website to contact them. Unfortunately for me, that was a bad choice. The initial text that I sent was at 10:06 am. I gave them the order number and sent a picture of the package. After waiting an hour and getting nothing, I went to the B & N store in St. George, Utah. The manager, Ron, was completely sympathetic and refund all my money including shipping. He said he had no copies of the book in the warehouse, but said the Salt Lake City store had 3 copies. He phoned them and arranged to have the book sent to the St. George store. He said he would call when it came in and decide if I wanted the book. I thanked him and left the store.

I was still at the mall when the chat finally returned my message. Time was 12:14 pm. Waiting over 2 hours for a service is unrealistic. So the two choices the chat offered were: 1. keeping the item and getting a $3.47 credit or 10% off; 2. returning the book using a prepaid label and going to UPS. I said I'd like a credit because I had returned the book to the store. So the next chat message was that I should contact the store to verify the refund. What does that even mean? Verify it to whom? Then I got a message saying, "It should be refunded on our end." Kind of hard to make that happen now. So instead I sent a picture of the receipt for the refund.

I explained how the store was going to replace the item. So then, I got this message: "Kindly contact the bank if the refund is processing." B & N create this problem for me. Their employee did a bad job of packing. Their understaffed chat caused a 2 hour delay in addressing the problem. To inconvenience me more, they expect me to call the bank which would be useless because I used a credit card.

So I say that they are being ridiculous, and all problems could be solved by just sending me a coupon for 10% off for the inconvenience. So coupon code arrives for 15% off one item and it expires on 2/10/2019. I reply with a thanks and say that today is Feb. 6, and I don't know if it will arrive in St. George by Feb. 10. The reply is that if I placed an order using the coupon, the discount would not be removed. Here's the thing. I was at the store at 11:42 am. I didn't get the coupon until 12:59 pm. How I could I have used a coupon that I hadn't even gotten yet? Then the chat response was that I could use the coupon on a future order, not the one they screwed up. I won't be doing that because I'll never use B & N online again.

Then I got this message: "We advise you to wait for the replacement." What other choice do I have. I asked if I was chatting with a person because some of the responses were so ridiculous. I did not get an answer for that question. I also asked to speak to a manager. No response to that either. So my marathon chat came to a close with this message: "We had you enjoyed our new text messaging experience." Dealing with Barnes and Noble online was not enjoyable. I'll just use Amazon in the future.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I ordered off of the Barnes & Noble website in mid December. I ordered a Christmas gift for someone and assumed with the holiday it may come a little late and that was okay. However I was not told that my item was coming by a third party. I was misled into thinking it was coming directly from Barnes & Noble. When I checked out it said I would receive my order as standard shipping. About a week later I tracked my package. It then told me it would take 13-15 business days. I thought, "Well that's not standard," but with the holiday I thought okay. Then well over 15 days had passed and still nothing. So I then called the customer service department through Barnes & Noble's and they were very rude, acting like I was bothering them.

Then I finally learned I was getting my package from a third party which I had no idea and that there was nothing they could do for me but give me an email address. They allow this third party crap on their website representing it as a business, but can't do anything about it. Then they told me when I should be expecting my package which would now mean a month and a half from when I ordered it. And it has now been 2 months and nothing. Barnes & Noble's is a crappy company that does not care about their customers. They are shady and running a very shady misleading business online. STAY AWAY FROM BARNES & NOBLE!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barnes and Noble?

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I ordered three books for my girls all going to three different places so I had to order them all separate. I had a gift Visa card for one. The other two orders were paid on my debit card. Once order was placed they withdrew the money instantly. Three days later they withdrew them both again. No place in the disclosure states they do this. I called my bank as I was not prepared for it to come out 4x so I received overdraft fees. I explained to the bank the other two were not to be taken from my account. They said to call Barnes & Noble so I did. I was told, "Sorry we always do this. We hold the money to be sure funds are there then we hold again once order is shipped. After it's shipped you will get a refund for the remaining amount 7 to 10 business days."

I'm very upset this was not disclosed! Had I known I would have ordered on Amazon or bought another Visa gift card. This has been nothing but misery for me and they will not pay any fees. They said I can send a letter of explanation and a copy of my private bank statement to them and they MAY be able to rectify this. So this should take a couple months to clear up and get my money back. NEVER NEVER WILL I ORDER FROM B&N AGAIN!!!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

I woke up to an email from Barnes & Noble saying that "there were changes to my account." Since I had not made any purchases I went online only to discover someone else had used my CC info and purchased almost $300 worth of books and e-books and was having it sent to THEIR home. FIRST, I called B&N and after 20 minutes of waiting hung up and called my bank. THEN, when I had nothing to do the rest of the day, I called them back and reported what had happened. I said "how did this happen, isn't it required that a 3 digit number (to verify) be put in?" I was told "It's been a long time since I made an online purchase Ma'am so, I don't know." Long story short they took care of it. Today, I go online to look at my bank account and notice 2 more charges (from yesterday) for E Books. I just called my bank. THIS SITE IS NOT SECURE. DO NOT LEAVE YOUR INFO ON IT.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I had been a loyal customer of B&N for a long time, and a couple of months ago I was sold a membership card at one of their stores claiming that I would get discounts on all B&N purchases. I tried to get a discount on an online purchase today and could not get it. A customer service rep told me not all purchases apply for discount so I requested a refund on the card, since it was sold under false pretenses. She said she could not do it and I asked to speak with a supervisor.

After 1 1/2 hours on hold the supervisor said they would not refund my money and I would have to go back to the store where I got the card. I explained that I bought the card for B&N purchases in general, not just at that particular store. I believe B&N should refund my money and take it up with their store themselves, but instead they refused to make good on my purchase. I guess the cost of a membership card is worth more to them than keeping a customer. It is not how I wanted it, but I guess it's GOODBYE BARNES & NOBLE, HELLO AMAZON!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Don't waste your time or money with these people. They have a horrible online cancellation policy! You only have 15 mins to cancel an order. They have slipped my textbook ship date from Jan 2 (on time) to Jan 18 (way too late). I asked them to overnight it when they got it; answer was no. I bought an ebook from Amazon so I could start my studies. Now I have been on hold for 15 minutes while I am being transferred to a manager who will probably also tell me no. They will probably never pick up. Barnes & Noble has horrible customer service and horrible policies.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Horrible. Horrible!!! They renewed my membership again after I canceled it last year. DO NOT GET A MEMBERSHIP. Can't anyone do something to this company for fraud!!! I called company and I needed my old business address to cancel it and my old business phone number - after a few minutes I remembered the info. Horrible.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

Years ago (easily 10 years ago), I was solicited in store to buy a membership at B&N. I did and the following year, it automatically renewed. I called and was told, they automatically renew memberships unless the customer tells them otherwise. Obviously a manipulative and fraudulent practice. I express my displeasure and ask them to credit me which they did. I ask them to stop the auto renewals and they assure me this is done. Each year since, I get this charge on my American Express. Each year, I have to call and explain and get it credited. I logged into my account and there isn't a member number (not sure how my account still logs in?) Nor is there a credit card on file (something I removed years ago). To top it off, my American Express number has changed 3-4 times, since my original membership, yet the charge still goes through. B&N needs to be dissuaded from this behavior! Do not buy a membership!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

Asked for a simple update on an order that was placed the last week of December. Was told that particular DVD collection was coming from a Marketplace Seller and that it should arrive in mid February. This is totally unacceptable and I will NEVER use Barnes and Noble again, for any reason. I can tell those who are interested in contacting customer service by email that you can do so at this address service@bn.com and they will respond with their usual we don't care attitude. Buyers Beware!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

Ordered book on 12/9/18, said 2-3 days it will arrive. Two Days later (12/11) I check tracking and picked up in Waukegan, IL. 12/20/18 it finally arrives in York, PA., then departs from there on 12/22/18. Arrived & departed Las Vegas, NV. on 12/24 two days later. Arrives now in Seattle on 12/25, Christmas Day, no present for my Granddaughter. Now it finally departs to next facility 4 days later on 12/29. Signed up for text notifications on 12/9/18, never received one text. Today is January 2, 2019, guess what? STILL NO BOOK! What poor customer service Barnes & Noble has given me. Never will I order from them online again! Amazon gets things here in 3-4 days, so do other companies. Guess B & N is going downhill with customer satisfaction.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

We ordered a book as a Christmas present on December 15 (Mary Berry's Cooking Bible). We decided to obtain a membership for Barnes and Noble this December, so the book had free "express shipping" of 2-3 days, which would have been in time for Christmas. On December 26, we noted the book was still "processing." The book is now due for arrival sometime by January 11, 2019. We contacted customer service to try to cancel this order, as we could order it from Amazon instead, for a cheaper price and with actual 2-day shipping.

The customer service agent stated the order cannot be canceled because it is 'processing.' Barnes and Noble has had the order processing for over three weeks, which prevents the customer from canceling an order that they fraudulently state will ship with a 2-3 day time frame. Do not waste your money on a membership with Barnes and Noble and do not try to use their online ordering, as the company is unreliable and does nothing to help its customers. We are highly disappointed and will never obtain a membership or shop online with B&N again.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I ordered a record and toys for Christmas with arrival before Christmas guaranteed. Both shipments were delayed and later marked to arrive after Christmas. Then I discover that somehow when I placed the order, their website only registered the street name for the delivery and not the street number of my address. They said I didn't enter the street number (which is hard to believe), but not sure how (even if that were the case) it would allow me to proceed with placing the order with an incomplete address.

I called several times to say that my order appears to be out with UPS with no street address and asked for help in fixing the order. Their customer service people barely speak English and could not assist me with straightening out the delivery address. They told me I would have to contact UPS and straighten it out with them since they had already shipped the items to the incomplete address. So, now my package is over a week late and I'm on my 3rd call to UPS still trying to track down my delivery. Horrible ordering experience and horrible customer service on Barnes and Nobles' part. I rarely use them anymore, but will definitely opt for Amazon instead going forward!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I had a membership for a year that I didn't want to renew. This morning I found they withdrew 25.00 from my bank account. An account I don't normally use anymore and to make things worse I'm hoping I didn't incur an overdraft fee. I contacted Barnes & Noble but they make everything so convoluted and confusing that it's hard to cancel or see the membership. I normally purchase from the store and from the store is where I signed up for the membership a year ago. I didn't know and never gave them permission to keep my card information online. Now I have to chase them to get my money back. But here is the kicker, I read that I have to cancel my membership 30 days before it starts. Well My membership begins 1/26/19 and they took my money today 12/27/18 so... effectively nulling the 30 day limit. So now I'm stuck with a membership I don't want nor authorized. Thanks for nothing Barnes & Nobles you screwed me over.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

BUYER BEWARE: I ordered books from Barnes & Noble online as Christmas gifts for my grandchildren. I paid for expedited shipping with a guaranteed delivery date of December 20th. As of today, December 26th, I still have not received the books. When I check the status of my order it shows completed with an estimated delivery date of JANUARY 4TH.

I contacted their customer service rep, Jonah, via chat who told me if the books didn't arrive by the 21st to contact them back. When I asked what they would do when I contacted them on the 21st, his response was "We will ship out replacements." When I asked him how that would put a gift under the Christmas tree for my grandchild, he disconnected the chat. I am reminded of the old adage: A happy customer will tell one or two friends. An unhappy customer will tell everyone! I am EXTREMELY UNHAPPY with Barnes & Noble. If I could give them less than one star, I would. #buyerbeware #brokenpromises #poorcustomerservice

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

I ordered two “I survived books” for my 10 year old son. The two I ordered were ones you can’t find on the shelves in store. I paid for them. Received an email confirmation and date to pick up by December 20th. I was very busy and I arrived on the 23d to pick them up. My order had been canceled and refunded “I hope, haven’t checked my card yet”. Of course when looking through store they were no longer available. The employee didn’t ask if I wanted her to check to see if they still had them in store. Or didn’t offer to tell me where I could find them if they had them in stock. I searched around a busy, crowded store for 20 minutes and gave up! I do realize I was late. But it wasn’t like that were just holding them for me. I paid in full. I will purchase from somewhere else.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

I ordered 5 albums on B&N on 12/21 at 6:23 am and paid extra for expedited shipping. The website said that anything ordered before 11 am would arrive on 12/24. All items were in stock online from B&N and not from independent sellers. After 11 pm, I received tracking numbers from UPS that these items would arrive on 12/27 UPS Ground from Louisville and NJ. Anyone knows that UPS ground over the weekend will not arrive on or before 12/24. I tried to contact customer service through the link and got a “Bad Request” message. Other parts of the site said there is no phone support until 9 am on Saturday. So I have to wait until 9 am which I will expect to be an excuse if I can even get ahold of customer service. Very upset and have lost any faith in B&N as their shipping policies are not accurate.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I purchased an expensive book through Barnes & Noble online. The book was delivered with a damaged spine. I contacted Barnes & Noble and after speaking with multiple supervisors I was informed that it is not their problem. Even though the product was ordered through their website they source the book from a third party company. I was told I would need to contact the other company to address the damaged book. Please do yourself a favor and never order anything through Barnes & Noble.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I will no longer purchase any item from Barnes & Noble. False Advertisements, Horrible Shipping practices, Terrible Customer Service. I ordered a book on 12/10/18 to be at my home before Christmas, per their online website information. As of yesterday 12/19, 9 days later, this item had not even been shipped out of the warehouse yet, and the book won't be delivered until the 27th?

Called Customer Service, was told sorry our warehouse wasn't "prepared." And then spoke to 2 managers, on 2 different days, asking since the item had not yet shipped out of the warehouse, could I pay for expedited shipping to receive this item before Christmas. "NO. NOTHING can be done, once the order is placed cannot be canceled, cannot be captured for expedited shipping, cannot be changed. NOTHING CAN BE DONE." Basically Barnes & Noble customers are out of luck for shipping and deliveries prior to the Holiday.

I asked if I could place another order with expedited shipping, and the manager said, "You could" but Barnes & Noble CANNOT GUARANTEE that even with expedited shipping, the book would be at my house before Christmas! Is there a need to go through this nonsense to support a company that does not care about their customers, nor their lack of services? No. My business will be done with Amazon instead.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

According to their website items this last holiday week purchased by Tuesday with express shipping will arrive before Dec. 24th. I placed my order on Sunday Dec. 16Th with express shipping. On Wednesday Dec. 19 I check my order status and says expected delivery of Jan 11th. Today Dec. 20 I contact customer service and am told they're sincerely sorry and order no explanation as to why they cannot meet the advertised deadline. I'm told the least they can do is offer a refund on my shipping cost when the item arrives. Never again will I order from Barnes and Noble. For being the top bookstore in the nation, they cannot meet their own shipping standards. "Express shipping" = 3-25 days.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I placed an order on December 12th, the website says 3-5 days. On the 12th, I received a shipping notification for one of the items I purchased. I have not received that item. Then on the 19th I receive another shipping notification for both books I ordered. SEVEN FULL DAYS AFTER PLACING MY ORDER! I tracked the package still hopeful it would arrive before our family Christmas party on the 22nd, but NOPE, won't be here. The website said yesterday if you placed an order on the 18th they would get it to you by the 24th. That's 6 days, which is what I expected for my purchase made on the 12th. I have tried to reach customer service for 3 days to no avail. THANKS A LOT BARNES AND NOBLE. YOU HAVE LOST A CUSTOMER AND I WILL TELL MY TALE TO ANYONE AND EVERYONE.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

Poor, Poor, Poor customer service. I ordered an item for my son for Christmas on December 9th and I called after 5 days to check on shipping and they said I should be receiving the item on December 17th. I called on the 18th to check and they said the 49.99 item I ordered was not in stock and they would refund my money. What?? I can no longer find this item anywhere online unless I want to pay 80.00 plus dollars since they made me wait 9 days for it. It's a popular Lego set that has increased in price due to the Christmas holiday. They said I could go into a local Barnes & Noble store and find it, where it's available. But they were unwilling to ship me from their in store stock to help a customer that they made wait 9 days to tell them their order would be canceled. I will never shop at Barnes & Noble again.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

I ordered 2 Italian nursery books for my new 5 month old grandson which both grandparents are Italian. I according to my delivery date was to have them by Dec.13 2018. After numerous calls with no help from reps that work at B&N, was told my order is lost. Again, holding on for an hour and telling my same story, I was promised that they were being shipped again, yesterday, Dec.14. Another lie. My email, so they say, has not been updated and they did not ship the lost books. I will NEVER again, order from B&N.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I ordered a DVD as a present on Nov. 24th, sent via 2-3 day service. I ordered it when I did because the half-off Criterion sale was about to end. The next day, I received an email saying the package had been shipped via UPS Mail Innovations with a tracking number. Several days pass, with no updating on the tracking number, only this message: "Delivery information is not yet available from the carrier. Alternatively, the delivery details provided are incorrect." 11 days go by. No tracking update, no package. I call UPS, they've no record of the number. I call B&N, they say it was never sent by UPS, though their emails to me state otherwise. I had to call back twice to get a refund, because the first time their customer rep in India couldn't even get that right. 5 hours on the phone to get constant contradictions from every rep I talked to... I finally got my full refund after several hours on hold, and 3 days of callbacks.

Fast forward, December 11th: I come home to find the DVD on my doorstep, SEVENTEEN DAYS later. Terrible service, inept customer reps who have never even seen a B&N store in person, reading stock scripts to angry customers. No more... They lost a customer of 20 years with this little charade, and I'll keep the extra copy of the DVD they botched the order on for myself since I ended up ordering one from Amazon, which I was trying to avoid. Next time, I'll order straight from Criterion. Goodbye, Barnes & Noble.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I ordered a DVD from them and after it had not arrived a week after expected I contacted the company using the online chat. I explained that my package was never delivered and they said according to their records it was shipped and may have been lost in the process. I assume it was stolen off my front porch as it is Christmas time. The representative promptly offered to replace my item at no charge. I appreciated their flexibility and am very pleased with the experience. I will continue to order from them for years to come.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I returned a Harry Potter box set to the store. The manager issued a return on my debit card. I check my bank the next day and the credit isn't there. I call the manager and he puts in a call to corporate. The manager calls back 6 hours later and told me I now have to wait till Monday to see why I wasn't issued my money. I call the 1800 number and customer service tells me it can take anywhere from 2 days to onwards of "whenever". I told her NOWHERE on the receipt or on Barnes & Noble website does it specify I won't be credited until 2 or more business days. She proceeds to tell me it's my bank that's holding the money.

So I call Chase and she said there has been nothing received from Barnes & Noble. Chase is giving me temporary credit as we processed a claim through the fraud department. Chase asked if there was any more they could do for me and I told the CSR "Yes... Don't buy from B&N! Use Amazon instead!" Her reply... "Well I had a huge problem with my own return and I'll never shop there again!" So I don't see B&N surviving much longer with companies such as Amazon as they are cheaper, customer service is better and all transactions are immediately debited and credited and their return policy... well, they have a great return policy. Bye Bye B&N. Us consumers have Amazon that treats us better and doesn't commit fraud.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I ordered two books online as Christmas gifts and paid extra for express shipping to have them delivered in 2-3 business days. 20 minutes after placing my order I received notification that my order for one book will not be delivered for 15 days and 5 days later for another. I called customer service to have my order cancelled since those dates would not work and I paid extra to have them here in a timely manner. Customer service said they can't cancel the order or change it anyway. Very frustrating! I will never order from them again! Also, allow an extra day or 2 for processing on time of the days for shipment.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Just go to the B & N website, imagine that you have an issue with your purchase (because you will!!). Try the "Help" button on their site or maybe try the one labeled "Customer service" - both take you to an error message that is laughingly marked "bad request"! So there are no avenues on the website (believe me I have clicked on everything) to get online customer service. I have now paid for a $1500 collectible book that was sent to Utah (I live in WI). No worries - I used my Discover card to pay for it and they will get my money back - because that is a company that knows that customer service isn't a bad request!

Barnes & Noble Company Information

Barnes and Noble
www.barnesandnoble.com
Your special offer awaits

Looking to save time and money? Join our community today! Community members receive important consumer news alerts and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands they love. Ready to join?

Sign up now with your email address!

Join our community to recieve important consumer news and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands you love.