Barnes & Noble Reviews

• 0%
  • 0%
  • 70%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barnes and Noble?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barnes and Noble?
    Kassandra increased rating by 3 stars.
    Punctuality & Speed
    After a positive interaction with Barnes & Noble, Kassandra increased their star rating on June 12, 2024.

Updated review: June 12, 2024

**Edit** the company brought themselves from a 1 to a 4 by coming thru with my order ON TIME! I'm so impressed. I would've given five stars but 5/80 of the books came with printing errors. Otherwise, kudos!!

Original Review: June 5, 2024

My bulk order is going to be late. I explained I need it in time for a conference. They said due to availability that's not possible...fine. I said they could send my books to my hotel instead...they said that's not possible because they can't change it in the system. Bullspit. I said they need to remedy this with a discount since it is their fault it will be delayed...surprise, surprise they can't change it in the system. I'll be going back to KDP.

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed May 28, 2024

Went to Barnes & Noble’s book signing in in New York and all the staffs that were there were professional, except for Barnes & Noble’s staff. I was separated from my phone and friend by a Barnes & Noble employee that insisted I go beyond the signing area. Should’ve not never got separated from my property or my friend and no reason to rush me for the time allotment still had 40 min left and there were about 30 people behind us. Never a good move when you are trying to stay afloat in a digital world. I loved the how engaging the author was but Barnes needs better practices if they want to stay in business. When I contacted the customer service I get an ultra generic response. “Ok we will reach out to the store.”

Get buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed April 12, 2024

Beginning of March 2024 I ordered five gift cards to be shipped to my address. I received a shipment through UPS of three gift cards. After calling Barnes & Noble immediately and reporting the problem, I was told a replacement for the missing two cards would be shipped from their warehouse. The Barnes & Noble employee requested the gift card numbers off the back of the three gift cards I did received. I requested a tracking number for the replacement cards but was told that he could not give me that information. I thought that was odd since the first shipment had UPS tracking information. The replacement cards never arrived.

I contacted Barnes & Noble again and was told that the two missing gift cards were showing as used. I figured this was due to the original customer service representative who asked for the numbers off the cards I did receive. Perhaps he cancelled the other two cards so they couldn't be used? I was given a contact number for the Sales and Audit Team. When I called to speak with the Sales Audit Team I was told that the original cards were spent in a physical store on the day I originally received them; the same day I called about the missing cards. Because of this they stated they could not issue me a replacement. I responded that I live nowhere near the store on record for the usage, not even in the same state. Again, I was told they would review the situation and contact me by email.

Over three weeks and still no reply from Barnes & Noble. I called again and was told that it is marked for no replacement or credit. When I asked to speak with the person(s) of the Sales and Audit Team I was told they do not take calls but a request for a callback could be left. I'm doubtful I will receive a callback since they never bothered to follow through by email either. My original three gift cards arrived in a sealed UPS envelope directly from Barnes & Noble. I fear that my missing gift cards were somehow stolen and spent or sold before ever being put in that UPS envelope. Somehow Barnes & Noble seems okay with penalizing their customers for this.

Reviewed April 12, 2024

I buy in store frequently. I have had some issues with one store saying one thing, and another refuting it. Nothing catastrophic. Online has been nothing but an issue. I pre-order books frequently. Recently, I had an order with several pre-orders cancelled because of payment information. The card number changed because I had to get a new card. All my payment information is updated on my actual account. I got an email to update my information on an order. I tried to use the link and it said the link was expired. (Same day it was sent.) I waited till the next day and tried to use the link in the order to change billing information. I changed it and it said “can not update information at this time”. Said that for 2 days. Called customer service. They stated they “could not update payment information. You have to do it online in the order.” Tried again to no avail. Order canceled.

Called customer service again and they said “you have to use the email link sent to change the updated payment information“. Said it didn’t work. “You had to update it in the order”. Told her that didn’t work. “You have to call within 7 days of the order being processed”. Told her I did and what they told me. She said “sorry, there is nothing we can do once the order is cancelled”. I lost my special edition pre-orders, my sale prices. I’m at the point where I might as well just order from Amazon and/or independent booksellers the authors use. This is not the first time I’ve had my orders cancelled. Customer service is a joke and they will not offer any kind of compensation for inconvenience like offering to honor the sale prices on the lost order. Very aggravating.

Thomas increased rating by 4 stars.
      Customer Service
      After a positive interaction with Barnes & Noble, Thomas increased their star rating on May 17, 2024.

Updated review: May 17, 2024

I was contacted by an America based service team member and they were able to resolve my issues. I have a lot of books to re-read now that I'm retired.

Original Review: March 29, 2024

I recently ordered an e-book from Barnes & Noble. The book did not show up in my account so I called customer service. Turns out I had two email addresses causing an issue. The representative told me she could resolve it and had me log out of my account. When I logged back in I saw the new book, but the 167 other books in my library were gone. She assured me it could be fixed and the books could be restored in a week. I called back every week with my ticket number and had to start over each time explaining what happened. Finally I was told they had no records of my books. When I requested they restore my account to a previous date (there has to be a backup on their servers), they said they could not.

Reviewed Feb. 9, 2024

I am trying to update an old Barnes & Noble Press account to publish a book under the name of my new company. I have been unable to update the old account to include my new mailing address or to change the name of the bank (and account and routing numbers) where any revenue should be deposited. At least one B&N Press individual sent me a message stating what I needed to do on the Vendor Account page. However, the options he stated do not exist on that page. My guess is no one at Barnes & Noble Press has even tried to use its service. It doesn't work.

Profile pic of the author.
      Customer ServiceSales & Marketing

Reviewed Aug. 24, 2023

I've had good experiences with B&N before, especially with the first printing of my book. But the second printing was so poor that I can't sell it. So, as they instructed, I emailed B & N Press Customer Service, expecting to get a substantive response back soon. No such luck. It's coming up three weeks now and all I get, despite many emails and calls even to the corporate offices, are occasional emails saying that they'll respond soon. No one can actually call B & N Press Customer Service. We're expected to wait an indeterminant amount of time for them to tell you where things are. I'm losing book sales now because I don't have inventory. They'll say to be patient because they are now exceptionally busy, but it takes a minute just to clue a customer in on the status. Despite new management, such bad customer behavior of B & N Press Customer Service hasn't changed.

Pinned

Dear Stephen,

We truly apologize your experience with our BN Press, and would like to look further into this matter.

Will you please provide your BN Press account details so we may locate your account.

Regards,

LaShanna

Reviewed July 30, 2023

I ordered a book months ago that was released on July 25th. Now it is being shipped internationally despite the fact that the order originated in CA and I live in FL. Speaking to an online associate was useless as they stated, "I don't know why, you ordered it." They stated there is nothing they can do until the book isn't received by Aug 14th. The tracking number states it's going to Israel for some reason. When I asked to be transferred to a supervisor I was told there were none currently working and I would have to call the following day.

I asked if I could be compensated in some way as I am meeting the author July 3rd and this book was supposed to be signed by him at that point and I was hoping to have finished it. I paid $19 for shipping. I was told, "Sorry, we don't have any coupons right now." I will never preorder another book from Barnes & Noble and will do my best to no longer shop there after this unless someone is able to own this error and fix it.

Customer ServiceContract & TermsStaff

Reviewed July 13, 2023

I liked the store I bought a couple of books in a few years but until recently I found out that I have a membership which without my authorization they are debiting me of $25 from my account and this started in 2018 faith which I have not signed anything nor I was not aware nor was I clear about a membership that was charging me, I called customer service. The person who spoke to me told me that he was giving me credit for 2023 and 2022, and that they couldn't do anything with the illegal charges since 2018. I went to My bank now has 4 charges and I can present the screenshot of the charges and of those 4 charges, only one has been returned to me.

I call B&N and the customer service lady tells me that she has no idea why a charge appears in her system $25 and that was already credited. I am very offended by the illegal way this business cheats and steals their customers and does not inform them. I never received any emails, any texts, any correspondence, any contract that I had a membership of $39 first year and $25 AUTOPAY RENEWAL. I sent a letter to them two days ago, I hope they will refund my full amount since 2018 because I have not had any "supposed" benefit from the membership and it is something illegal with the consumer. I would like to attach the screenshot verifying the illegal charges that they are making to me and I want a legal answer.

Customer ServiceCoverage

Reviewed June 7, 2023

I order a book to print and I never be available to contact Customer Service except by email and they take 3 to 4 days to reply and it's never the same person. I believe it's robots. Finally I receive the book with the cover super pixelise; it's was not like the proof they send me. I fight from one month now for them to replace the cover. No news! Make business with them is enter in a neverending nightmare. AVOID AT ALL COST!

Pinned

Dear Gaetan,

We apologize for your continued dissatisfaction; however, after reviewing your contacts, we show that all your emailed communications were responded to within two business days.

Regards,