2. Shopping

Barnes & Noble
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.05/5
Based on 1,252 ratings submitted in the last year

Barnes & Noble Reviews

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

Have good value for books, definitely beats Amazon with prices, I brought a book from them (still waiting for it to arrive). It was reasonably priced because it included shipping, until I looked at the receipt and saw it charged $27.14 USD. Then I proceeded to cry in Australian because that adds up to be about $41.87 AUD. It hurt me on a emotional and physical level. It would have been nice if they converted it before I purchased. But at least it is cheaper than Amazon.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2019

I enjoyed looking through the bargain books. There are always a wide selection of subjects, at reasonable sale prices. I also love the variety of gifts and knickknacks from fantasy movies. Always great customer service.

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 1, 2019

I had a horrible experience with customer service representatives via phone because they were very hard to understand BUT once I emailed them, within a few hours, I was able to get started on returning my defective Nook e-reader.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

I ordered a book Dec 15, 2019 to be delivered by Christmas. The book traveled from New Jersey by UPS and was dumped at the Des Moines, Iowa post office where it still sits. I called Barnes & Noble. They sent another book December 30, 2019. It has arrived at my house on January 8th. It was supposed to be delivered to Fort Dodge, Iowa by January 6th. Now I have called, once again, they will send a book to Fort Dodge and it should be there in two days - Yeah Sure!!!. I also have to send the book they sent to me back to them. That means two trips to the Post Office. One to pick it up, wait for recall slip and drive to Post Office to return their book. I tried to get compensation for my time and travel. They said it is NOT their fault. Yeah - Sure!!! NEVER AGAIN! Barnes & Noble suck - and so does their customer service.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

I have ordered books from Barnes and Noble several times a year, however, within the past 6 months something changed and their service has declined. I ordered 7 books Dec 20 2019, received no status. After 3 days I called customer service who gave me a promised delivery of 27 Dec 2019. I seen the books were sitting at Latham New York 1.5 hours from my home on Dec 20th. It just sat there not moving. Then the 26th the books finally moved to my local post office for delivery.

The following day Dec 27 2019 I contacted UPS and asked why there are sitting 1.5 hrs from my house. UPS quoted what the site said the package says it's in Latham. I told her I know that why has it not moved in days. I received the books on the 27th of Dec. I also had ordered 11 books Jan 3rd 2020. On Jan 6 2020 I called Barnes and noble to inquire why there's no status, They said the books have been pulled from the warehouse and are boxed for shipment and I would receive an email with edd. I received nothing. I called again and was told the promise date changed to Jan 17th 2020.

I told the supervisor, "That's not right. I'm a member. I ordered them Jan 3rd 2020. They have not shipped but you say they are in a box waiting to go out. Why am I waiting 14 days for my order when the books are waiting to be shipped." I also have tried tracking previous orders and received an not a valid order number or when trying to track previous orders the site would say no such tracking number available. I am very very disappointed with Barnes and noble and have decided with this last order of 11 books with no status for 3 days I'm not going to order books from them like I have been doing. Too stressful for me to constantly call and try to find out what's going on.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barnes and Noble?

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

I pre-ordered a book several months ago. I realized I never received it and contacted the company. They stated that because it was 30 days past the expected delivery there was nothing they could do. I hadn't been watching the delivery that closely because it was a pre order months in advance. Even though the tracking info clearly shows I didn't receive the book, they just say there is nothing they can do. I was actually in shock with how terrible the customer service was. Will definitely look elsewhere for future purchases because if there is any problem, they won't help you out.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2019

On 12/10/2019, I ordered a "new" hardcover copy of a book thru Barnes & Noble. The item was not delivered until 12/31/19. The shipping package consisted of a piece of cardboard folded around the book and bound by a single band of packing tape. Both ends were open and the book was exposed to the elements. Upon unpacking, the product was found to be definitely "used". Additionally, I found it had been fulfilled by "MarketPlace" seller although I had ordered directly from B&N (the web page offer MarketPlace sellers as an option but I did not chose that). And, finally, the book was not hardcover, it was spiral bound and of much lesser quality. Tried to return but MarketPlace. Seller refused to accept. Will never buy thru B&N again.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

I have ordered from Barnes & Noble for years but my wife and I just have had 3 failed attempts to order books for no clear reason. The ordering process has become much more cumbersome somehow. We got an email saying they were ordered first and then a follow up saying it did not go through but did not explain why.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2019

I ordered a new hardcover book on December 9. I was advised it would arrive by Dec 23. I tried to track my package and received the following response. Status Label Created, not yet in system. A status update is not yet available on your package. It will be available when the shipper provides an update or the package is delivered to USPS. Check back soon. I tracked the package several days only to get the same response. Now that Christmas is past I called Barnes and Noble. I was told that the third party vendor does not use tracking. The package should arrive on or about December 31. What a waste of time. I could have ordered the book from several other places but I chose Barnes and Noble. What a fool am I. I trusted them to deliver and they were a FLOP. I will never order from them again. Third party vendor is a lousy way to do business. Go try Amazon next time.... They do tracking numbers.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2019

I ordered 3 Christmas gifts Dec. 11, well ahead of Christmas delivery. UPS handed the package over to the USPS, who lost it. On Dec. 24 I had to rush around replacing 3 gifts. All BN would do is refund the purchase. No compensation for charging me UPS shipping prices and then losing the order. For decades I have spent hundreds of dollars annually at BN and have faithfully renewed my membership. Now I will shop elsewhere, both online and in stores. BN does not know how to provide customer service.

Avoid expensive home repairs

Take our two minute quiz to find the right home warranty for you.

Barnes & Noble Company Information