Barnes & Noble
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Barnes & Noble

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 22, 2017

529 Barnes & Noble Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

The automated phone system does not recognize anything you say. It keeps saying "I didn't get that". When I say representative, it responds that it does not recognize representative, even though it tells one to say representative to talk to a human. WHAT A MESS. I have never experienced such a mess. We have been members for decades, but I don't think we will renew again. B&N has become a DISASTER.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

I placed an order for three books on 12 November, 2017 with a promised delivery date of 15 November, 2015. One book arrived on 15 November. The remaining two are scheduled by USPS to be delivered on 24 November. I could have ordered the same books on Amazon and they would have delivered on 15 November. I thought it would be good to give Barnes & Noble some business because I always enjoy visiting their stores. When I contacted B&N, I received a reply back written by what appeared to be an outsourced service, and the reply contained no useful information. Since I am leaving on a trip, I will not have the two books with me. So the lesson is, buy in the store or order from Amazon. Sorry B&N. You really lost another customer for poor performance. Not meeting a promise date is bad. Not meeting it by 9 days is unforgivable.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

I'm paid $25 to be a B&N; member and they couldn't accommodate 1 small request? Purchased over $100 in books on 8/17/2017 which entitled me to a $15 reward card but I had to wait for the card to be e-mailed to me to use it. It arrived on 10/15/17. I went to use it on 11/4 but it expired on 11/1. I had a horrible experience with B&N; customer service (see below) team and after all that... Nothing.

Today November 17 and still no reply. Still disgusted! Shop elsewhere everyone. I know I will! It has been a few days now and no reply. Since I'm off today I decided to call and follow up. I waited the 45 minutes on hold and was hung up on. I immediately called back and spoke to Carlo who quickly passed me over to a manager Bree. After going over this request for the 5th time totally frustrated Bree decided to hang up on me after telling me she couldn't honor my reward request. No was not the answer. I'm fully disgusted with Barnes and Noble as a member. Awful customer service! I wasted hours chasing a $15 reward just so I could give it back to you. Beyond Disappointed!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

Ordered a book for my husband and I on October 22, 2017 from Barnes & Noble. The book wasn’t available but it was suggested by the site to use a marketplace seller. I paid extra to ship the book for our retreat and when the book didn’t arrive on the Oct 16, 2017 I was annoyed. I checked my email confirmation and it stated, Oct 23, 2017. I am angry but I say fine. Please keep in mind, I have NEVER received one tracking number or correspondence. Monday Oct 23, 2017 comes no book, Tuesday, and Wednesday comes so I decide to call.

Preemptively Monday Oct 23, 2017 (the expected arrival date) I email the seller; I received no answer! I called Barnes & Noble “well ma’am you have to wait 5 days.” “Huh? Excuse me miss, I was promised Oct 16. I paid extra. I remained patient! "Today is Oct 25 and I still must wait?” Yes! Today is Sunday Oct 29 and I just got off the phone. “Sorry to hear about this issue. I will reach out to our marketplace team. The team will request a response and email you within 2 to 3 business days. Please check your spam.”

I am extremely perturbed at this point and I calmly express my dissatisfaction with the process, service, and accountability. “Ma’am it’s the process but I promised we will respond.” With all due respect, you promised me a book on two different dates and you have not fulfilled that agreement yet. Amazon, process your request right away. I never I have to deal with this. I will NEVER EVER purchase from them again. Barnes & Noble has sinked to garbage. You charged my card not the marketplace. Whatever third party payoff is has nothing to do with me. DO NOT BUY!!! TRY AMAZON!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

When I tried to order a book recently from Barnes & Noble, I was advised it was not in stock but I could purchase it new or used from its B&N Marketplace. So that's what I did. The only problem, the book I was sent does not match its seller's description: "Very Good… former library copy… Appears to be unread." If it was unread, then, who tore out the first page? The seller made No mention of that little problem!!! And she should have considering the cost of the book: $29.45 (plus $3.99 shipping). Needless to say, I won't be buying another book from B&N or B&N Marketplace.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barnes and Noble?

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I signed up for the B&N Book Club in Dec of 2015. The cost was $25 per year but they charged me $27.25 to include tax. I obviously did not read the fine prints. There is no discount on NOOK books which I mostly read. If you buy online, there is free shipping but no 10% member discount. If you buy books from a store, the 10% discount is stacked on top of other discounts. Hence you do not get the full 10% discount unless you paid full price on the book. The store prices are usually higher than the online prices since B&N has to compete with Amazon. These "benefits" were never fully explained to me. You have to read the fine prints.

After realizing that since I buy mostly NOOK books and the membership gives no discount, I soon realize that the membership fee of $27.25 is of little value to me. Hence I decided not to renew for another term and I ignored the membership renewal notice so membership would expire on its own. The problem is when you signed up for membership, you automatically agreed to auto renewal. They charge your credit card about 30 days before the renewal date (why so early?). There is a good chance that you do not realize that they had already renewed your membership. I certainly did not realize. There was also no confirmation from B&N that the membership has been renewed.

Because I thought I did not renew my membership, I did not provide my membership number to store clerks on the few store purchases I made during the year. When I finally realized that my membership has been renewed, I wanted to cancel immediately and get a pro-rata refund. The fine print says no cancellation after 30 days. The customer service also says no retro credit on purchases. They did offer me a 20% coupon to use in 30 days. I think the membership is set up in a very sleazy way to take advantage of customers. I do not recommend the membership and if you do get to become a member, be sure to opt out of the automatic renewal provision.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

I purchased on the marketplace for the first time back last month and I am still waiting for my package to arrive. They are asking consumers to give their sellers 3 weeks to ship a book to their house which is completely out of the norm for the eCommerce world. Everybody else in the industry is 5-7 business days. When I asked for a explanation for why they were taking this long all I got was a boilerplate policy answer. I can tell all of you that the money you may save with using the marketplace is not worth the trouble and frustration that you will go through in return.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

Barnes & Noble let me down big time, they did not deliver, they provided erroneous information. After numerous attempts to learn status of my order, I finally had to cancel my order. This had a big impact on my son not having books for school. Their system did not tell me that the books I ordered were out of stock. So beware if you order a book, they may not have it. I explained their several errors to their supervisors... Barnes & Noble did not make it right... I beg you not to buy from them... Worst and only on-line buying experience I have ever had.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

I have rented textbooks from Barnes and Noble several times in the past with no problem until this past summer. I rented a textbook and never got a reminder email to mail it back. (I had ordered other books as well and just thought they were all due on the same date... I did get email reminders for those books). All of a sudden I got charged a purchase price today. $42+ for a book I will never use again! I chatted with an agent who said there was no way I could return it! They said I got an email (which if I did I would have returned the book).

You would think they would give a customer some leeway after renting from them several times in the past. But they are rigid and unreasonable. I told the rep I would never do business with them again and he/she was like "Oh we value your opinion..." Uh no you don't because if you did you would work with me and let me return this book! NEVER EVER RENT FROM BARNES AND NOBLE! They will screw you over at some point!!!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

This is not my first time renting with Barnes and Noble. This time I rented three textbooks from Barnes and Noble, this came out to a total of $125.77. As my textbooks were being shipped they charged me again. They are being shipped separately, I was charged $24.43 for the first shipment and $101.34 for the second shipment. So I was charged a total of $251.54. I called Barnes and Noble asking why I was charged again and they responded with, "it's a pre-authorization" charge. They never told me about this charge. They had never done this in the previous orders I had made. It makes absolutely no sense that I would have to pay this "pre-authorization" charge AND the price of the order I placed. They charged me without my knowledge or authorization. On top of that they are sending my packages to the wrong address and won't fix it. Will not be ordering from them again! I am deeply disappointed.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2017

I rented a textbook from Barnes and Noble for the first time since it wasn't available on Amazon. When it was time to return the book, I printed off the shipping label and went to my local UPS store and shipped it out a few days prior to the return date. (It just has to be post stamped the return date, not received) This was in May. I received an email the other day they were trying to charge my account for a late payment for my textbook. I look at my bank statement and they CHARGED me the full price of the text book on July 23.

I called them today to get a tracking number and they gave that to me and I had to ask many questions for them to finally tell me they RECEIVED my text book on MAY 31. I asked why they charged my card for the full price of the book and they told me it was a pending charge, when it wasn't. It was on my bank statement. It took about 10 minutes on the phone after that to try and get a refund. It should take a few business days to refund back to my card so we shall see. I will never rent from Barnes and Noble again. Stick to Amazon and Chegg.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

I was renting textbooks from BNB for a few years now and never had an issue until now. With life's busy schedule I forgot to return a book back, which I never received a reminder for. Now they will not take the book back even though it's a few days late and they charged me over $200 for a used book! I tried to reach out to them and all they told me is they are sorry. I understand it is in their policy but for a customer who is always on time with everything and one time was a few days late this is what they do. On top of that charge so much money for a ripped up used book! They told me to contact their buyback program and they don't even want the book! Horrible service. Will never rent from them again. Beware you will get screwed if you miss the dateline.

Original review: July 27, 2017

BARNES AND NOBLE - GAITHERSBURG: Very upset with one of the employees from this store. I've seen people reading, working on books and this guy had a problem because I jotted down few synonyms from a book that I was reading. He was so rude and constantly staring at me for writing something down. If Barnes and Noble had such rules and people cannot read or jot down few then I would never step into that store. Barnes and Noble should have the rules visible to all the customers so that they can see what is allowed and what is not. You can't expect customers to know all your rules.

Original review: July 25, 2017

I ordered a book on 7/12/17 because I was under the understanding the book would be delivered within 1 week. Three calls to customer service, it is now two weeks in and it will be more like August 3rd they tell me. I want to deal with reputable businesses that stand behind their commitments. Barnes & Noble please make honest statements so the consumer can make an informed choice. Signed-regrettable didn't buy elsewhere.

Original review: July 20, 2017

Last year my daughter gave me a gift card for Barnes & Noble since she couldn't get the book I wanted in the store. I went to use it and that became the first of my nightmare. The gift code printed on the back was supposedly the wrong one even though it was permanently printed on there. I wanted a used book sold through one of their marketplace sellers that was $8 plus shipping so I had more than enough with my $15 gift card. They said they would have to have another department resend another gift card through an e-mail. It would take three days but since it there was a weekend in the middle it took 6 days before I got it.

Considering it was their mistake you'd have thought they could just go ahead and use the card. The card number would just be deleted from the system. Then I had to order the book myself online since it was an outside bookseller through them. I used the gift card and then called them for help and they checked my address in their system and said it was wrong so they changed it and it went to the wrong address. It couldn't be changed then and went to the wrong address and will at least take me a month to get the book I was so excited about. Hopefully, I'll someday receive the book.

Original review: July 18, 2017

I was going to upload books to Barnes & Noble and applied for membership. Then I found out that it costs 25 dollars to upload books whereas lots of big companies like Amazon do it for free. Barnes & Noble promise a refund within 30 days if I haven't used any of their benefits. The very next day I called Barnes & Noble to request cancellation of membership but I was told that my account hadn't even been registered yet so call back in 24-48 hours. I went to the library today--four days later--and chatted over the internet with two Barnes employees. They say that there is no record of my account so they can't cancel it. I know I applied! Sounds a little fishy to me because I read a complain on the net by someone who said she has tried everything she can think of to cancel her account and finds it impossible. There was no order so I will not include an order #. There are no images.

Original review: July 12, 2017

I obtained a Kids Club membership almost 9 years ago and I lost my card about a year ago. I obtained a new card. Put the same e-mail address, used the same name, etc. At first the store never activated my new card after explaining to the cashier my situation and them telling me they would take care of it. They looked me up by my e-mail address and told me that my old account was linked to a man I never knew and that it is best I open a new account, so I did. I used the card for a year on and off buying books for my kids and never paid attention until one cashier told me my card was not activated and they were going to take care of it right away. I thought great! What happened was that my old account was never linked to a man I never knew, it was linked to me using my e-mail address, the same name and e-mail address with my new card.

I have spent over 2 hours in online and over the phone chatting to try and combine the two accounts. On the online account they saw my transactions on both accounts and apparently my rewards have been going to my old account unless I used my unactivated Kids Club card in which case I was awarded nothing. Once my card was activated I started obtaining points. The online chat session was really helpful but not able to merge the accounts and they told me to call the 1-800 number. I called the number and the person I spoke with did not understand English and was not able to help me.

After spending 20 minutes of going in a circle (no kidding) I asked to speak with a supervisor and they disconnected the call. The telephone agent I spoke with acted like she was unable to get into my other account and that I had to come up with my telephone number I had 9 years ago. I do not remember that number for anything and therefore, there was no way she could help me. Mind you, the chat session agent was able to get into my account AND my account has the same name and e-mail address as both accounts. I was able to confirm my address for both accounts, but because of one telephone number, I was shut down. Who cares about your over priced book store. I will be shopping Amazon from now on.

Original review: June 19, 2017

I ordered an important book for a college class on 6/12. The shipping choices were free, a fee for 3-day, and a high amount for express. I choose 3-day. My order confirmation came as expected, and the shipping confirmation a day later. When checking the UPS tracking information -- it gave no details. When I checked today online with a text customer service rep -- she told me that my book was scheduled to be delivered on 6/23. I was promised 3-day shipping and paid for it. Three day shipping from 6/12 should have been 6/15 or 6/16 -- NOT 6/23. This is totally unacceptable when you're waiting on a book for a class and have expectations that the company will actually live up to its promised delivery schedule.

The customer service rep didn't see a problem with 3-day shipping actually meaning 2-weeks, and wouldn't entertain my request to FedEx me a copy immediately. I will try and find the book elsewhere, and expect full reimbursement -- including the shipping charges. Too bad you cannot be depended on -- we'll not be using your services again.

Original review: June 13, 2017

We ordered several books from Barnes and Noble online and never received two out of five, and upon returning from vacation were told it was too late for a refund so we are out $25. Customer service is TERRIBLE.

Original review: June 13, 2017

This morning I went to Barnes & Noble to purchase 3 books. Only one was available. The salesmen said I am a member and if I order the 2 missing books they give shipping free and 105 discount on the books. So I said fine and ordered the 2 books which was not available at the store. To my surprise the sales person never said if I order it will be much less than what I pay at the store. When I came home my wife checked the books online and found out if we had ordered the books online we would have paid almost $14.99 less than what we paid at the store. Including shipping without a membership. So Barnes & Noble membership is good for fools. Because they are fooling and lying to customers.

Thank God to my wife. Who opened my eyes to see this fraud and scam Barnes & Noble is up to. I will not extend my membership with them. Rather go to Amazon. Customers please be aware before you pay extra money to Barnes & Noble. I traveled 60 miles to Barnes & Noble to pay extra 14.99 to buy 3 books having a membership with them and to find out it's just a fraud. And false advertising.

Original review: June 6, 2017

Ordered a package and paid for expedited shipping which should have been 3 days. Got a shipping notification 4 days later. On the 5th day called about it. Customer service said it just shipped and will now take 3 days to ship. My tracking info says it didn't ship. I asked if they could call UPS to expedite shipping. They said "We have no way to contact UPS." WHAT??? So, I called UPS. They confirmed it did not ship yet. It's still at Barnes & Noble. These books were needed today for a class and now I can't even guarantee we'll have them for our second class. Once we get them they'll be foolishly late it will certainly make our program look bad.

Original review: June 2, 2017

I bought two books on Barnes & Noble, not realizing that one of the two was a 3rd party shipment. The items said it would take 5 days and when the 5th day came and my book had not arrived, I called Barnes & Noble, who told me that it basically was not their problem, even though they falsely advertised the delivery date and that I had to wait two weeks or more for my item to be shipped and then I can return it to get a refund. This is absurd and I should have known better to order from Amazon or even Ebay, who are far more reliable and cheaper! I will NEVER order from Barnes & Noble ever again and others will know what happened here. This is very bad business on their end, very bad!

Original review: May 20, 2017

I have NEVER been so disappointed. I have been an Amazon customer for years and now I know why. I ordered a law school book on May 4 for a May 18 delivery. As of May 20, the tracking information on the website said, "estimated May 18". Being two days later than when the book was "estimated," I called the customer support line and they said they "sent me an email on May 17 saying they were having troubles processing my payment."

First: I have NO RECORD of said email. I am not an idiot. I know how to check spam. The email was not sent. Second, their best business practice is to notify a customer one day before it was supposed to be delivered that there were processing problems?!! I relied upon the delivery of these books as my law school class starts on the 22nd. There was ample time to contact me as I ordered this book two weeks ago... I relied upon the status of my order as reported by Barnes and Noble locator to my detriment. I am owed recourse but the rep simply said that "we need to just replace the order." I needed this book two days ago!!! I asked if the book was in a store near me... or if there was a digital version that I could access while my order was being "reprocessed..." and nothing. This is a disgrace of customer service. People will know about this. DO NOT RELY ON BARNES AND NOBLE!!!

Original review: May 19, 2017

I rent a cheap book in January online and make the mistake to do it for 60 days. When I realize that I need to cover my semester I went back. Their website is horrible, so I contact them and told them the time I need to rent. Now I get it mail. They trying to charge me over 100 dollars because according to them is past due. Though they have all the information that I contact them to change days it is their mistake and can take the charge off. Customer service are very rude and it seems like their phone lines are not clear either. I never have any problem with Amazon. One of the customer lady refused to give her name and threat me to sent it to collection.

Original review: May 18, 2017

I first rented the books in January at Barnes & Noble. I forgot which site I've rented the books from and I was waiting for a reminder email for the return of my books. However, there was no email sent to me. When I finally found out where I've rented the books from by going thru all my credit cards and laptop history - It was too late. They've already charged me for the extended fees, and the full price of the books. I called them and explained to them that I never once did received an emails in regard to the charged of the books nor do I remember where I rented the books from. Their response: "You can check our site for the due date of your books" and we did send you an email. If I have received an email from them, I don't think I would want to let the books sit on my table, and get charged with a full price. Bottom line is to stay away from this company. They will not able to resolve anything and will blame everything on you.

Original review: May 17, 2017

I placed a small order for a violin book (total order $7.40 w/ shipping) needed for my son's violin lessons on 4/25/17 and received a shipped notice on 4/26/17 with info on the 3rd part vendor. I contacted Barnes and Noble customer service on 5/15/17 since the book had not been received. They informed me that I technically had until 1pm on 5/16/17 and would not issue a refund. I contacted Barnes and Noble again on 5/16/17 around 5:45pm in reference to the book that still had not been received. I was informed by customer service that I had to wait until after 7 pm as the book could still be delivered. I work from home and know when all the mail and package carriers deliver in my neighborhood as I work from home and informed the customer service agent of this.

I called back after 8 pm upon returning home again to no package (surprise, surprise) and again called Barnes and Noble to request a refund. I requested an incident number to document the call. The CSR states that they will request the refund from the 3rd party vendor. If they won't send a $3 book, do I really expect them to refund the purchase price plus shipping? No, I suspect they are banking on people not following thru with refund requests etc. on small dollar purchases. I will be contacting my credit card and disputing the charges on my card. Game on Barnes and Noble and your crappy 3rd party vendors.

Original review: May 16, 2017

I have worked with both textbook rentals. The customer service at Barnes and Noble is a ** show! They don't help you with anything! They only want your money!! If there are too many highlights they classify it as "damage" and charge you the whole book. If you are late they also charge you for the WHOLE book!! Never had that problem with Amazon in fact, when I was late and they charged me they refunded it with no hassle. Bottom Line: RENT FROM AMAZON or YOUR CAMPUS BOOKSTORE (eFollett). DO NOT GIVE BARNES AND NOBLE YOUR MONEY!!! They do not treat consumers well!

Original review: May 9, 2017

I ordered a book from Barnes and Noble's Marketplace seller, Media Neat on 26 Feb 2017: Interconnections Second Edition - Bridges, Routers, Switches and Internetworking Protocols. When I received the package, I found that the book is seriously damaged, and contacted Media Neat in email, attached some pictures, and asked them how we can resolve this issue. They offered a partial refund (did not mention a percentage), but I rejected that because the book was completely useless, I had to buy a new one. We agreed on that I will return it to them, and that they will reimburse the return shipping on top of the full refund (I informed them about the cost of return shipping before). However, they refunded my original payment (USD 38.70 for the book and USD 19.95 for shipping), they did not reimburse the return shipping (USD 55.00).

I tried to contact them multiple times directly but they did not respond. I also contacted Barnes and Noble multiple times but they sent only template messages without actually reading my email. I am extremely annoyed with Barnes and Noble and Media Neat. If I knew in advance at least that they lied and will not reimburse it, I would not have sent it back because now I have a loss of USD 55.00 on this deal (not to speak about the work of doing the packing, finding a carrier, going to the post office many times, waiting for the tracking information, and communicating with the seller). At the same time, they are making a profit of USD 41.35 on this deal as they insured the package for USD 100.00! This makes me really angry. Due to this over-insurance the package had to be processed in the customs office which took a lot of time and could be avoided if the seller declares the price I paid (USD 58.65 is below the limit of USD 60.00) on the package.

Original review: May 5, 2017

I feel like the fees and rules for membership should be stated in one location so that people understand that a. Free member shipping does NOT mean membership is free. b. Once you sign up for membership if you order even one item, they charge your card and you cannot cancel that membership and c. They will continue charging your card every year until you cancel, but they make it hard to cancel. I admit, I was duped mostly because I didn't read carefully enough and that's on me, but the info they provide on the membership is all over the site-very convoluted and confusing. I think they prey on consumers. Now I can't find a "membership” number on file to cancel my membership, so I'm in the process of having to cancel my bank card and have a new one reissued so they don't charge it every year. Buyer beware!

Original review: April 19, 2017

I submitted a complaint due to received book condition. If a used item with black magic marker on the cover is considered good condition, something is wrong here & it is NOT what I expected. THIS IS NOT STAINING!!! WE DID NOT WRITE THE NAME ON THE COVER IN BLACK MAGIC MARKER & WE DID NOT WRITE IN THE BOOK!

Barnes & Noble Company Information