2. Shopping

Barnes & Noble

4.0/5 (887 ratings)

About Barnes & Noble

Barnes & Noble Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barnes & Noble?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barnes and Noble?

Original review: Aug. 19, 2021

In front of the store display of books with the ** words. Very offensive.. I don't want my kids to see that!!!! Is this the new normal??!! Parents be aware! We go to Barnes & Noble to get educated not get exposed to trash talk.. Is this America??!!

Original review: July 20, 2021

I was going to publish my first book with Barnes & Noble Press. I was very excited about it. I had everything set up perfectly. I wanted a Proof first before I published it so I can see if I needed to make any necessary corrections. Well B&N Press says to click on the "Submit" for approval button and then they will get back to me. I did but no one got back to me. So I did it again, nothing, did it again, nothing. Then I wrote them an email and days after that someone finally wrote me back saying to click on the button again. I explained that that does not work. So they submitted it for me and it was approved.

So I ordered my Proof, which is still in the delivery process. Then I noticed that B&N Press put my book up for sale - Pre-Order at $7.44!! This is their default for books - PreOrder at $7.44. I did not approve of this nor did I authorize it because 1. I still didn't receive the Proof and 2. I was going to list my book for $22.97. So now they're making me look like a fool to my customers because they're seeing the book for sale at $7.44. I sent B&N Press Support an email to remove this listing. Days passed by and they didn't email me back. I sent another email, nothing. I ended up deleting my entire book from B&N Press. Days later my book is STILL up for sale on their website and on Google search engine. The book is gone, removed completely, so what are they selling? I clicked on the Buy button thinking that it'll show that there is no book, but instead the B&N website put the book in my cart!! Fraudulent.

There is NO phone number for B&N Press so I called corporate of B&N. Turns out they can't remove the listing and THEY can't even get in touch with B&N Press. The girl told me to email them and gave me the same email address that I've been using. She said there's no phone number for them and absolutely nothing else to do but to email them. This is completely ridiculous. I'm at a loss and being screwed by Barnes and Noble. Never thought I would ever say those words. I held B&N in the utmost respect but now they're ruining my experience of publishing my first book. Horrible.

Get buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 21, 2021

Bought a $$$ Gift Card online for Mothers' Day for my 89 year old mother. My Mom is 89 so books are one of her few pleasures. Arrived 38 days later. When I called 3 weeks after I ordered the card, customer service could care less. Told me they could cancel the card and I could order another. All they cared about was not losing money on their end. Least they could have done was re-order the card for me (I already had paid) and expedite the shipping. My family has been buying Mom B & N gift cards for every occasion for many years. No more Barnes and Noble.

Original review: April 4, 2021

If your file is off by any measures they won't accept it.. And neither will they work with you. I had everything correct to my standard but they want a specific cover size that seemingly is always off by .125. I gave up and went with IngramSpark. Lord what a even bigger mistake! But however, LuLu was able to print to my exact standard no questions asked!

Original review: March 19, 2021

I ordered books, went to track my delivery and noticed that they left out my street numbers and books are being returned. Talked to them and see if this could be fixed and resent but was told no. Asked for manager, who proceeded to accuse me of not typing my address right. All that was missing was my home numbers and I have people who saw me type it in. I will not ever order from them again and neither will my family or friends.

Original review: March 18, 2021

On March 3rd I placed an order for a book set. However, they continue to tell me that they can’t get the book. I asked for a refund so that I could go purchase somewhere else. I was told they couldn’t cancel the order because it’s processing? Exactly what are they processing? They stated numerous times that they were having a hard time getting the book. My issue is that the books I ordered were for school. I needed them which is why I paid the price I did, and for expedited shipping. If you can’t fulfill a order you should cancel it and give your customer a opportunity to purchase elsewhere. Apparently my books won’t be here until March 27th which I find unacceptable. Your customer service is not the greatest either. Needless to say I will not be returning to do business with your company ever again.

Resolution response: Feb. 2, 2021

I spoke with a customer service representative from B&N today. My package got lost in the mail. B&N blew it. I requested a refund and I am expecting that refund within the next several business days (I hope). Never again will I shop at B&N. Their customer service is abhorrent. While it's sad to see a relic of my childhood fail at least Amazon knows how to use tracking numbers... please do not waste your time and money giving your business to this B&N. Consider supporting your locally owned bookstores or just go to Amazon.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2021

I have had the worst luck getting a package I ordered from Barnes and Noble shipped to my address. I placed an order on January 18 which shipped the next day on the 19. According to the tracking information B&N provided me in my shipping confirmation email my package was delivered on January 20. Nope. Called the shipper (OnTrac another terrible company) who tells me to contact the vendor- B&N. I contact B&N on January 26 and B&N customer service tells me that the delivery date of January 20 was an error and that I can expect my package on January 28. All day January 28 I listen carefully for any semblance of a delivery truck and hear nothing. No package and no delivery.

It’s now January 31st and I have no idea where my package is and when it’s expected to arrive- or if it will even arrive. I’m understanding of shipping delays regarding COVID but I would at least like to know where my package is sitting. Their failure to provide me with accurate shipping information is a sign of terrible customer service. And people wonder why B&N is going under? I plan to press for a refund. I also plan never to shop for books at this store again- which is significant because I have a strong dislike for Amazon.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2021

I contacted their Customer Department on the phone, I was told that since my Nook, which was not quite a year old, stopped charging they would send a replacement. After a month went by I still hadn't received it, so I called again. This time they said that due to Covid that the Nook was back-order. So I waited another month, still nothing, when I called again they said that my Nook warranty had expired, the 2 month delay push my Nook over a year old & they weren't sending a replacement. In the meantime the device battery pack blew up, I took it back to the store this weekend, spoke to the manager, who just stood there looking at me and said "what would you like me to do about it". This is what Barnes & Noble has for Customer Service????

Original review: Jan. 2, 2021

During this pandemic, had to do all my holiday shopping online and did this with Barnes & Noble with curbside pickup in Bartlett, TN. Wrapped gifts and sent out since family could not be together because of COVID. Order picked up had no printed store receipt, no packing slip and no return label in the event my gifts needed to be exchanged. Called local store AND called corporate and was told by both that I would have to get the gift item back from the recipient and bring to the store and return it and then turn around and buy it again and then REQUEST a gift receipt in order to get one for the purchase. How in God's name is that a good store policy and how much expense and inconvenience is a person forced to endure just to have a gift exchanged. Why could a gift receipt not be printed from the original e-mail barcoded receipt? That bar code would show what was purchased, would it not?

I have been a B & N consumer for many, many, many years and I have never been treated this way and during these difficult times of not being able to go to a store to speak to customer service has made me rethink my loyalty when spending what little money I have to spend on nonessential items. I will let my friends and family know of this experience and I will no longer recommend B & N and this hurts because I have loved shopping there.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2020

On November 22, 2020 I went online and purchased a Nook Glowlight Plus and a Kate Spade case for it. I got it for my mom for her birthday. Within 5 days of my purchase, it went on sale for $50 off. So I attempted to contact customer service to find out if there was any way to possibly get a credit. The text chat is a joke. Clearly it's a bot. I say that because the responses did not in any way reflect my questions. So I went through the maze of FAQs and finally found an answer to my question. The answer is NO. I cannot. Okay fine.. It's for my mom so I won't worry about it. Whatever.

Now it gets worse. I got the package and set up the Nook for my mom and boxed it up to send to her. When she got it, she was really excited and immediately went to put it in the beautiful Kate Spade case. She called me and told me the case doesn't fit. It was in the correct box, but the item inside was switched. Great. Now I try the customer service phone number and wait on hold for 15 minutes before someone comes on. This would have been way easier if I had been able to email customer service. Then I don't wait on hold growing increasingly frustrated. And someone can respond to my email and there is a trail. But like so many other companies Barnes and Noble did away with this. I don't understand why, it's a perfect work from home job. It's also far more efficient than having customers wait on hold just before you send them to another extension for them to wait on hold to explain all over again. This is exactly what happened.

I explained what happened with the case and also let the lady know there was no way for me to get the case back. I asked if I could get an extra discount on a new one or at least get delivery waived. She explained that it was an issue with the Nook and she would have to transfer me to another department. I explained that there was no issue with the Nook and that it was a delivery issue. She said that since it involved the Nook, she had to transfer me. So she did and I waited for another 10 minutes before giving up.

My mom is 80 and loves her Nook. But because it's so thin it's hard for her to hold without the case. So I went online and bought a new case and paid for the delivery. They stopped carrying Nook in the store near where I live so I had to go online. Barnes and noble like so many other companies has unfortunately become another store to add to the list of companies with the worst customer service. That was the last purchase I will ever make with them. Books a Million is way better. I wasn't asking for a full refund. Also even if I had been able to return the case to them, they wouldn't have taken it back because the item didn't match the package. I would have been the one accused of switching it. Besides my my is on lockdown in her building because of covid. So she cannot get out to mail the package. I gave bought several Nooks and Nook Tablets from Barnes and noble. Never again.

Barnes & Noble Company Information