1.26/5
Based on 51 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

568 Barnes & Noble Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 30, 2018

I've avoided shopping at Barnes & Noble for years due to their policies and prices. Today I found a great deal on a book I was looking to purchase, with the list price of $50 online in "Other Format" 30% of the original price, $72. Deciding against my better judgment, I went to purchase the book in store, because I believe it is better to continue to promote store locations rather than online prices. However, once at the register I was told it was the original price, $72, and the discounted price only applies to online purchases, whether it be in store pickup or delivery. Since there was no way to discern the real price on the website this seems like illegal and shady behavior that the company is doing to promote online purchases and put their on-demand locations out of business.

Original review: July 20, 2018

Barnes & Noble has always been a great place to just walk around and look for books. However, I've had my issues with the company over the years, chiefly an experience in high school wherein I never received a book I ordered and spent a lot of phone calls and time getting a refund. Today, with all of that behind me, I visited Barnes & Noble again. Great layout and selection. I finally found a book I wanted to purchase. It was a bit pricey, so I downloaded the B&N app to see if there were any coupons. Tip: join their e-mail list two days before you visit because the 15% sign-up offer is not immediately available.

Instead of a coupon, I found the book I was purchasing and discovered that it was $5 cheaper online. There was also an option to purchase the book for the cheaper price and have it prepared for me in-store within an hour. I decided to attempt to price match at the register, but I was told that only members of the B&N club, who pay $25 annually for membership, could price match. I will note again that this is a Barnes & Noble store that can't price match with the Barnes & Noble website. I don't blame the employees in any way; I blame the policy. I returned the book not even a half hour later. When I got home, I found it for $11 cheaper on Amazon with free two-day shipping. I didn't want to be one of those people who denounces a known bookseller in favor of Amazon, but that seems to be the takeaway here. And to think, I would have bought the book at Amazon without even a second thought. If only they had let me price match!

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 19, 2018

I own a NOOK HD. Very well used. After I got my laptop I installed the NOOK app on it using the Microsoft store with Chrome. It was wonderful - if I read a book on my NOOK I could go to my LT NOOK and it would get me right to the same page. Then I made a mistake and uninstalled it and then reinstalled it. The support from B&N is terrible. I have been trying to correct this problem, but it is useless. Their customer support is worthless. I can get my NOOK books if I use Microsoft Edge, but not Chrome and B&N doesn't care. I really like NOOK on Chrome, but if they can't figure it out how can I. Sorry but B&N doesn't care about their customers.

Original review: June 27, 2018

I recently went on vacation to Oklahoma to visit family and ended up visiting a local Barnes and Noble Book Store. I purchased a series of books and spend over $100 dollars. I continued to travel and got back home about 2 weeks later. I realized when I got home that the books I purchased were duplicates of ones I already have in my possession. I reached out to Barnes and Noble to see about returning them for a gift card or store credit, but all I got back was, "Sorry. You are past the 14 day return policy." They have refused to help me.

Original review: June 25, 2018

I received a gift card for this bookstore as a gift. I had never used their services because I have used Kindle for years. So, I attempted to order a book and could not get it to appear as a download. I went into my settings and fiddled around and finally got it to download. It appears that if you don't give them an alternate payment method your orders will not appear in the app. I, again, today attempted to download two books and, again, I ran into problems. I chose for the books to be downloaded into the app, and when I received the confirmation it showed the paperback as the order. It seems for some reason it defaulted to the paperback.

So, again, I went into the site to find out how to cancel the book. Well, guess what? Once ordered, a book cannot be cancelled even though they give you a 15 minute window to do so. It took me 15 minutes to figure out what to do. I contacted customer service and was given a free UPS return label. I still have nearly $30 left on the gift card and they can just keep it!!! I will not put myself through this kind of frustration to order a book. Thank God for Amazon and Kindle!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barnes and Noble?

Original review: May 27, 2018

Compared to Amazon, BN has become far too slow and incompetent. They have incorrect information on their website for some of the listings. I accidentally bought a book written in Arabic (even though title and description were written in English, and there was no notification that the book was translated). When I contacted customer service, "Kristel" told me that they would refund the book but that it would be a "one-time courtesy" since Nook books aren't refundable. That was the first strike.

She informed me a full refund would be put back onto my gift card. I checked the next day, and they refunded $0.78 of the $5.99. I contacted them again to check and see if I missed something, and after 20 minutes of "Kristel" checking into it again, she told me that she'd have to send the request over to the "Gift Card Department," which would take 2-3 days... No. This is unacceptable in today's marketplace. I run a marketing agency, which means I follow the trends of buyer behavior. This kind of thing will take a big business down almost overnight. Customer service is vital, convenience even more so.

Original review: May 21, 2018

I am extremely upset with these services. I rented a textbook from Barnes & Noble (and several other companies) as well as purchased textbooks. I never received notification that my rental from Barnes & Noble was due and so they continually charged my card (without notifying me) until my card was expired and then decided to notify me because they couldn't take my money anymore. I responded to that email and never heard back from anyone and now I am getting calls from collections. I called Barnes & Noble today and their worker was not helpful in the least bit and I am extremely ticked off. I have never been late on returning textbooks and because of their failure to notify me I am having to deal with this crap!!! Way to take advantage of broke college students. I will never be purchasing books from this company again.

Original review: May 16, 2018

I received an email from Barnes & Noble confirming a purchase that I had not made, but was being billed for. The email included the title of a book, and the name and address of someone I did not know who had ordered it. I immediately called my bank and canceled my credit card. Barnes & Noble's contact number was not available in the evening when I received the email. But when I called in the morning, they instructed me to change my Barnes & Noble account password. If someone had just stolen my credit card number, they would have used it without going through my Barnes & Noble account. Either Barnes & Noble used my personal account to pay for someone else's order in error, or they experienced a data breach. Regardless of what occurred, I had to cancel my credit card as a result.

Resolution response: June 21, 2018

This statement of appreciation is long overdue!!! Just as I wrote a complaint from a previous order, I'd like to use the same energy to say that Barnes & Noble corrected that particular issue with a quickness!!! I sincerely thought I would have to just count my previous order as a learning experience and never deal with Barnes & Noble again, but B & N went beyond the call of duty in customer service.

Stephanie ** assisted me with resolving my dissatisfaction. She made sure that my customer service need was met and that my purchasing experience was a positive one. Her ability to handle the situation with understanding, clarity and promptness is highly commendable! Stephanie ** represented Barnes & Noble brand with care, concern and expertise. B & N I just want to say thanks for having her a part of your Team. Had she not been there I don’t think the situation would have been resolved as professionally efficient as it was. So again, thanks to Stephanie ** for being a 7-star B & N Representative!! #VerySatisfiedCustomer!

Original review: May 3, 2018

Barnes & Noble charged me for a textbook rental of $121.21!!! They said the rental was for 60 days! There is not a college semester I know during the spring that is 60 days!!! I explained that classes didn't end until May 11th. Basically they told me that the rental should have been renewed! WHAT? They brushed me off and took $121.21 out of my account! And told me even if I returned the book now, I still wouldn't get my money back! Never, never, never again will I use or purchase ANYTHING from Barnes & Noble again!!! And I recommend anyone reading this to do the same! Amazon would have never handled this like that! Amazon stands behind customer satisfaction! Barnes & Noble does not! They need to change the name to Barnes is Fraud!!!

Original review: May 2, 2018

Last year, I bought a yearly membership for $25. I was told that I would get coupons on a regular basis via email. I've never received one email. When I called, they gave me the runaround, and told me to add BN to my address book, check my spam folder, etc. Did all that, still no coupons. It's a year later, and no drink coupons as promised. Then I went to purchase my first book in store. I ended up paying six dollars more for it with my discount than I could buy it for online with no discount. Needless to say, I am not renewing my membership. $25 bucks down the drain. I wonder how this company stays in business.

Original review: April 30, 2018

I searched for a book called Siddhartha and I found it. With shipping charge 225% higher than the cost of the used book, it showed me that I would get it by April 13 (which was fine because I needed by 4/16). However, as soon as I paid for the book my confirmation email shows that I will be getting it only by 5/1. I then contacted Barnes & Noble to cancel it. They said, I could not cancel it because it was going to be shipped by third party??? They said I could return the book when I get it to get the refund BUT I have to pay for return shipping. What a crap??? Amazon and eBay make sure that the seller send return label. I had two Barnes & Noble accounts and I am canceling both of them and never use them ever again. Awful place to do business with.

Original review: April 27, 2018

I rarely go to Barnes & Noble anymore because Amazon is so much more efficient, but I needed a book today. First - apparently you can no longer look up books on their inventory computers to find out if they're in stock and where they're shelved, as I couldn't find it on my own; you have to rely on Customer Service. After a 10 minute wait at the Customer Service counter, I asked a clerk at the checkout desk if someone were available. She made an intercom announcement - another five minute wait. Ask again - she says she will try to help me and leads me back to Customer Service, where it is clear that she has little experience helping customers find books (not her fault, it wasn't her job).

Finally someone shows up who at least knows where to look and found the book, but was totally unconcerned about the fact that no customer service reps were to be found for fifteen minutes. Then having to wait through the slow checkout line... sorry, Barnes & Noble, but you have lost my business for good. I used to like to shop there but things have been going downhill and today confirmed that our relationship is KAPUT!

Original review: April 22, 2018

I have ordered book through this Shame of a company that I hope will get closed soon!!! They have charged me 160$ for an used book for rental, they have hidden fees and policies and I had no idea that books ordered through them are supposed to be return 2 weeks before finals!!! They have charged me additional money and the price of new book for a rental, I called them and try to talk about it with them but they told me they do not care and they will not refund me!!! I am praying for Amazon to close them soon and I will never ever buy anything or order anything with this stupid company!!!

Original review: April 10, 2018

I ordered a book and paid for shipping. The book is in NJ, I am in ATL. Why is it going to take 3 weeks to get my book. Even with USPS it would take a few days. The book is not old. Just go to Amazon. Horrible.

Original review: April 5, 2018

Buyers do NOT buy ebook for your children!! STICK with AMAZON. Their format is stuck in the Ice Ages. Tried to send a gift to my daughter. Spent all day trying to open or login in. There was not any special message to let you know anything just loop back around to login. Well, all kids must have a CREDIT CARD associated with their email to use. Yes, it was a kid's book! After, live chat, 3 customer service people, they were saying no refund and could not email to another address. They gave me a COURTESTY one time REFUND! The One star is not even deserved.

Original review: April 3, 2018

If I could give ZERO stars I would. As a Pre-Med student at WIU I feel COMPLETELY robbed by Barnes & Noble. DO NOT rent textbooks from them. I have purchased books for leisurely reading, but after my experience they will NEVER make a dime off of me again. I pay loads to rent a USED dissection manual and then it's missing pages. Then when I call nothing can be done because it's been past the 21 days. NO REFUND. NO REPLACEMENT. I can understand the no refund, but why is a book with missing pages being rented to me in the first place??? Do they just get the book and rewrap it in plastic and call it a day? Customer Service quickly transferred me to a supervisor and the supervisor did nothing but same. The SAME thing the employee said and then stayed quiet when I asked what I'm supposed to do with the book if it's missing pages. NEVER renting from here again. I'll stick to other site where they care about college kids.

Original review: March 28, 2018

Why I will never ever order from https://www.barnesandnoble.com/ AGAIN!!! I spent some time looking for a book for my C# class. Checked out Amazon as usual, did general search and found brand new book on bn.com. It was actually same price as offers from Amazon for used books. Got all excited. They accept PayPal. SWEET. Seems like it would be a straightforward process right? Nope. Clicked - not authorized - ok then. Clicked again. Not authorized - checked PayPal. Sure enough the charges are there, no way to cancel and for some reason there is an address where I lived 3 years ago! I cant even find that address on my PayPal account.

This is why Amazon is expanding and BN is suffering. Customer service. I wanted to save few dollars, wanted to support the bookstore and I promise I will never try this again. They also have a coupon "free shipping over 25$" - book was 34$. Didn't qualify for free shipping, no explanation why except red letters contact customer service. What a waste of my time. Now I will cancel both transactions and go order my book off Amazon. My BN account also doesnt show actual order. Oh but PayPal shows pending.

Original review: March 26, 2018

This manager (in Savannah Georgia) is ultra rude to her customers by the name of Jackie, a ** female in her 60s with glasses and a close-cropped haircut. If this female is rude to her customers, I can only imagine how she treats her employees because, I've noticed a high turnover of employees in that store. This person needs to be fired immediately. She sets a bad example for Barnes & Noble.

Original review: March 16, 2018

I will not purchase at B & N. After explaining that I've purchased and paid for new books, corporate customer relations gave the excuse that these books are 5 years old and have been sitting on the shelf for a very long time. They also offered a 5.00 gift card as if that's really going to be worth anything. Honestly, what can I do with 5.00? I spent over 150.00. Then they stated that 10% will be deducted. Neither option is suitable especially when a student counts in these books. B & N should be investigated for misleading customers. This is extremely poor business practices.

Original review: March 6, 2018

I was told at the checkout counter that enrolling as a BARNES & NOBLE member would ensure me a once a month FREE DRINK for a year at their Starbucks within their store, and 40% off hardcover books. As it turns out, I've tried to redeem my FREE DRINK at the Starbucks 2 months in a row, only to be told that I would still owe money for adding a flavor to my latte, and for asking for Almond milk. Nowhere on the coupon is there a statement that there is an extra fee for add-ons.

I've called the customer service number on my Barnes & Noble membership card both months to try to resolve this problem. The first time I was granted a free drink because the coupon did claim "no additional fee" for adding flavors, etc. This month, the coupon has been changed and does not say "no additional fee" for adding extras - but as stated above, nowhere does it state that there is an additional fee for adding on flavoring or changing the drink... size of drink doesn't matter apparently, as you can get any size drink for free, as long as there aren't any added flavors or a change in the milk. The customer service rep. for Barnes & Noble this month was very unpleasant and unapologetic, and doesn't appear to have been trained in the nature of this coupon deal provided to new members.

Then I also want to complain that 40% off advertised for hardcover books - doesn't apply to all hardcover books, which I discovered at the checkout counter as well. I declined to take the book, as I was told when I joined the membership last month, that the 40% discount applied to all hardcover books. So - I claim false advertisement is being given out to prospective members but the reality is that the company doesn't honor its promises. I won't shop with Barnes & Noble any longer and will purchase books through Amazon. This could have all been avoided with proper training of employees, managers and the Starbucks personnel, and by NOT changing coupons that have already been promised to membership clients.

Original review: March 4, 2018

I'd give 0 stars if possible. Been getting the runaround with them for a month now. Wasting my time. They don't know how to serve a customer. I'd preordered a book. During the time for electronic delivery I'd updated my account with them. Apparently that process was too much for them. Had to cancel my order. All they needed to do was resubmit it. But to no avail, I wasn't given that option. And they don't know how to pick up a phone and dial a number.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

On 2/12/18, a software update came through on my NOOK Simple Touch. It downloaded with no approval by me and proceeded to erase all of the content I had downloaded onto it. It also erased all of my Shelves. I was irked, but instead went about downloading all my content again. It was then that I realized that 9 titles had been replaced with "Test" files. I checked on the B&N website under my account and found that they had been replaced there too. I contacted customer service and they told me that the update was not one that I should have gotten, so they tried to help me un-update my NOOK. It didn't work and the titles were still missing. I then contacted them again. The next person told me that the update should have gone through and that the titles had been removed from the website by the publisher.

That's fine, but B&N still put an update through that erased content on my device that I had purchased. I was out over $30 worth of books and they refused to replace them or the money. I then called again and gave the order numbers to the third customer service person. This one proceeded to tell me that because the titles had been removed by the publisher, they could not replace them. I figured that I should get my money back for the books that they erased. He gave me a $5 appeasement option. $5 out of a screwed-up $30 order that was not my fault?! It was THEIR update that erased my content off MY NOOK device. Content that I paid for and had downloaded for months before they erased it from the website. Just because a title is taken off the website DOES NOT mean that it should be erased from the devices of the people that have purchased that content in good faith from B&N.

I am canceling my membership, erasing my wishlists, and moving to Amazon. I used to think that brick-and-mortar stores needed help against giants like Amazon. However, it is obviously the HORRIBLE customer service that is driving people away from Barnes and Noble. They should be ashamed of having such a shoddy business model in terms of customer service.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

I ordered a textbook online - since I needed it as soon as the semester started, I paid extra for expedited shipping. When I placed the order, it did not give me any confirmation of when to expect delivery. Two days later (& with no confirmation email), I call to ask - the rep is not able to tell me the status of the order or when delivery is expected - only that it is "processing". More than a week later, I call them again - same story. The rep was totally unhelpful on the phone and can't tell me the status of the order. Later that same day, the package arrives - it's sent UPS with a tracking number, so how can B&N reps not be able to track the order in their system??!

At this point, I had already bought the book elsewhere since I had no idea when it would arrive. I call them again to ask about returns - they say you can return in the store. I go to the store- they won't accept it because it's a textbook (which they apparently don't do returns in store). Am back on the phone with the rep - it takes her a good 5 minutes just to locate my order. She very reluctantly processes the return and emails me the return label (Note: I still won't get a refund for the expedited shipping I paid for - 3x times the regular).

This was the worst customer service experience I have had in a long time. What kind of business sells goods online, takes your payment, but isn't able to tell you the status of your order when they call you? How are they not able to locate this information in your system? How is B&N still in business, in this age of digital shopping? I will never shop with Barnes & Noble again - either online or in store!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

This company is such a shame, they lie just to get your money, apart from the fact that the order takes almost a month to arrive, they don't care about customers and never know how to answer a question. I am very mad. Will never buy again from Barnes & Noble.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

I am a full-time, broke college student. I received a $46 study guide manual as a gift for Christmas (thanks mom), unfortunately the manual was not the right version. By the time my mom was able to recover the receipt, the small gap of a 14-day return policy was gone. $46 is not chump change, the manual was never even opened, I can't believe we can't even get store credit! I will buy from Amazon from now on.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

I ordered a textbook online. It said at checkout that it would take about a week to get to me. Five days later I check again and the book is still "processing" and the estimated shipping date is in another week. I spoke to two customer service representatives just to find out what "processing" means so that I could know where my book is. The first one was like a sloth and I gave up talking to him. The second one was very unhelpful. I asked what it meant for my order to be processing and they answered, "It is being processed."

That day I was emailed that the book was "shipped." But I found out online that the book had actually not been shipped. They had only created a shipping label. The estimated shipping date had changed again too! This morning UPS finally received the package.Taking almost a week just to get a package into the mail scared me. I had already been charged, my book wasn't moving, and it was expensive. The experience makes me too nervous to ever order from Barnes and Noble again. If the book had actually been lost or stuck somewhere, I don't think anyone would have helped me.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

Daughter's Christmas present still not here... It is Feb now :( No replies back when I emailed them back. These kinda companies make one think twice about ordering online... Your credit card gets charged (no worries there), but the goods do not appear (AT ALL). Nice one B&N... Never again dealing with you guys.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

I tried to order a book from the Marketplace, but was concerned when I didn’t receive a confirmation email since I needed the book ASAP. I called into support who told me there was an issue with my browser and the order did not go through. I bought the book elsewhere since I was already annoyed trying to order it online. A week later the book showed up from the Marketplace and my card was charged. I called into support who gave me an email to contact and the email was undeliverable. I called back and verified they had the correct email and they said they will send me a shipping label. I never received the shipping label so I called back and was told that they could not send me one and that they would contact the seller for me and I’d be contacted in 3-4 business days.

I called back on day 6 when I still had no one reach out and was told there’s nothing they can do but try to contact the seller and I would hear back in 3-14 business days. I’m still waiting to hear back, but even if I do hear back they only accept returns within 30 days and by the time I ship it back if they even ever provide the info it will be out of the thirty day range.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

If there was an option to put 0 stars out of 0, I would. This is the worst, and most bureaucratic companies I have ever dealt with. They are money hungry and do not care about what is just in terms of handling customer relations. I am completely disappointed and will never go to Barnes & Noble again. Cherish (supposedly one of the managers), and Jenny (one of the headquarter staff) did not suffice in resolving my concern I have. I initially spent $44 to rent a book for a class. I then returned the book before the 90 day return time-frame, and I was charged for $13 (an extension for the book that was not necessary), and an extra $79.99 (for the book, since "they did not receive it").

I can get my money back in multiple ways; that is not the point. The point is that Barnes and Noble is a money hungry company that does not provide ANY customer service, and aggravates customers. After my dispute is over with Barnes and Noble, I will complain about them to everybody I know, including spreading my horrible experience on my social media, and making sure others know that Barnes & Noble isn't a company that truly cares about the experience of its customers, but merely cares about money. I will never step foot in a Barnes and Noble Again.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

I went through Barnes and Noble to order my books for school this semester. I am a nursing student and had to have these books by a certain time. I ordered them 2 weeks before I needed them and paid extra to get them shipped faster. They should have been here with a week to spare. I started calling them on the day they were supposed to be delivered and they were still in the warehouse.

Finally I had to call the post office in which they told me that Barnes and Noble had shipped them the cheapest possible way even after I paid to upgrade the shipping. They put the wrong address on my package, also. So, when I talked to a customer service representative they told me there was nothing they could do but re-send them and it would take at least another week to get them. This is unacceptable. I finally ended up having to order them from Amazon (where I ended up finding them much cheaper anyway), but I had to pay an extra $30 to get next day shipping because I have to have them. Never again will I order anything from Barnes and Noble.

Barnes & Noble Company Information

Barnes and Noble
www.barnesandnoble.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business