3.5/5 (3014 ratings)

About Barnes & Noble

Barnes & Noble Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barnes & Noble?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barnes and Noble?

Resolution response: June 7, 2022

I gave 1 star before because no one responded to me for weeks regarding my concerns. I just changed my rating because Barnes and Noble finally did everything they needed to do. They were backed up which caused the slow timing, but it was extremely slow. I’m happy with the outcome and product.

I just have one more concern, I wish someone would tell me, why I don’t see my sales on my press account even after the books were shipped and delivered? A chat agent informed me before that when the book actually ships, the sales would show up on my press account but they still haven’t. I know for sure my mom has had her book for 5 days already and the site still says no sales. This concerns me because I wonder if Barnes and Noble sales reports are accurate or if we’ll get bamboozled.

Original review: May 29, 2022

Self published author here. I’ve been having some trouble with a few things. I emailed customer service numerous times and two weeks later…still no response. I recently published my 1st book with Barnes and Noble, which is currently listed for sell, however on my account it still shows publishing. Also my mom purchased a hard copy of my book last week and my account still says no sales. I purchased a personal copy which had been showing pending for almost two weeks now. The money for the books have already been taken from both mine and my moms account.

I reached out to find out why my account says no sales and to also get an update on the books, because the tracking number is not recognized in their system but still says pending. Originally I was told I would get my book by June 1st, I’m starting to doubt it as nothing is being updated and I’m receiving no response. I’m second guessing selling my books on bn.com because I’m afraid they wouldn’t report my accurate number of sales.

I’m also afraid of all my buyers near future experience purchasing my books from bn.com. I wouldn’t want them to have to go through this. I also messaged the Barnes and Noble Facebook page, the only time I got a response and I was told to give them time to respond which I already gave them nearly two weeks. Then I was sent a link explaining how to find my sales online, which was obvious but that wasn’t my issue, it still says no sales even though I witnessed my mom purchasing her book. I can’t find help from Barnes and Noble anywhere and it’s very disheartening.

Hi,

We are looking further into this matter for you.

Cavellene

Original review: May 20, 2022

I just cancelled two titles I was trying to publish through B&N. I lost money because of this. Messages to their support email aren't answered for days, and are then answered with scripted responses that don't actually address the issues. First problem was with a title I had originally intended to publish through another company. I have my own ISBN for it, but B&N wouldn't let me use it until the other company "transferred the title to them." So it took a couple of weeks to get that done, but even after the title was transferred, I still couldn't use my ISBN. I tried to contact customer support about it, but they haven't bothered to respond.

Even more frustrating is the hardcover version of a novel I wrote. I submitted a cover for it 3 times. Each time, they rejected it, saying it didn't meet the specifications, even though I had tried to use the template the provided. I asked for help, pointing out that I have no experience with such things. They responded with their scripted guidelines, which I already had. The template doesn't seem to help at all. So I hired a professional and paid him to make the cover. I sent him the template B&N provided, as well as the specific requirements. The cover he made was rejected. Like each of my rejections, no specific explanation of what the problem was. He tried again. Rejected. I sent him another copy of the template. He tried again. Rejected.

I tried to contact B&N support, practically begging them to tell me specifically what was wrong with the cover. Several days later, still no response. I sent them another message telling them I was cancelling both titles. I'm out the money I paid for the professional cover designer, and probably out the money I paid for the ISBN for the first title.

Dear Bill,

We truly apologize your experience with our BN Press, and would like to look further into this matter.

Will you please provide your BN Press account details so we may locate your account.

Cavellene

Get buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 29, 2022

UPDATED 04/29/2022: After writing my 1st review I received the 34 books that I ordered today May 3, 2022. Sad to say the books were poorly printed and had quality issues. It appears as if they do not quality check the books before sending them out to customers. Some of the issues I observed with the printed copies are: 1. Dried glue leaving a shiny residue on the book cover 2. Ink smeared on some copies 3. Sloppy bookbinding on the 4th page of the book 4. the interior images on the left and right of the page was separated by a big white space which should have been covered in the binding process. Needless to say after waiting 3 weeks for my books I had to return all 34 copies for a refund and replacement. Barnes and Noble press is a big joke and an embarrassment to self-publishers.

ORIGINAL REVIEW: If you are an author seeking any form of support during the print process this platform is not for you! I recently self published a book with Barnes and Noble Press. After editing and ordering several copies I am still baffled as to why my interior file though perfect when uploaded on the website keeps printing with an ugly white border at different sections of the page. I've contacted Barnes and Noble Press along with the publisher author inquiry at the emails provided and have yet to receive an email back from them. I have emailed multiple times, possible over 25 emails sent with no reply.

After not getting any help with resolving this matter I had to make adjustments to the illustrations to compensate for the white lines. With this update to the interior file I have now ordered 34 copies and have yet to receive them. The shipping is still pending! I have also submitted the file for approval so my book can be placed back on sale on the Barnes and Noble site however the file has been sitting in "publishing mode for almost two weeks." For time sensitive projects I do not recommend Barnes and Noble Press. For projects that require feedback to facilitate a smooth publishing experience with minimal errors I do not recommend this publishing option. Communication/good customer service is nonexistent and an embarrassment for such an established and prominent company.

Dear Keimesha,

We truly apologize your BN Press order was not printed as expected. We would like to look further into the matter. Will you please provide us with your BN Press account information.

Cavellene

Original review: April 23, 2022

I have an old Nook E reader that I love. I have been loyal to BN even when they introduced the new Nooks and began to phase out the old versions. My old one has been a workhorse and even though it has been difficult to find chargers for the old Nooks I stuck with it. My beef is not with the device itself but with the website. It became more and more difficult to use the BN site to purchase e books. Sometimes the site would be incredibly slow and freeze, sometimes it would just entirely not work.

Today was the final straw. As background information, my credit card had been hacked recently, and so my payment information was incorrect and was from my old card. I didn't notice until I had tried to purchase the book and it kicked me out saying that my CVV number was wrong. I discovered the error and corrected it and updated the card information. But no....it still would not take the number. Even after rebooting my computer! So I used the customer service chat. The first chat was a waste of time and the service rep basically cut me off. The second chat was better and she was helpful but in the end told me she could not help me and because the site wasn't working and to try back later. Which I did and got the same message. I then tried to cancel my account. I was unable to cancel the account immediately and got a message that I would be sent and email in 7 days but if I didn't respond to the e mail the account would not be cancelled.

Original review: April 19, 2022

I ordered one book copy to start. The cover was beautiful and perfect. I had made some mistakes in the manuscript. So corrected the manuscript printed 8 copies. Never touched the files for the cover since they came perfect the first time. The covers came messed up. Was told it was my fault because my margins were off on my manuscript. Corrected margins of manuscript again never touching the original cover files. Comes messed up again. Get told it’s because my cover files aren’t correct. I email them back asking how is that possible because we never changed the file since the first print. Why was the first print perfect? Also how is the white border that shouldn’t be there different on every single book? Because if it’s a margin issue how is it never the same? I never get emailed back. So I am out 50 dollars and 12 copies. For someone that is trying to self publish their first book this is a horrible experience.

Dear Samantha,

We truly apologize for your experience. We will look into this immediately.

Resolution response: April 25, 2022

While the pre-order system certainly should be changed, Cavellene went above and beyond to rectify the issue and managed to locate the album for me. I really appreciate taking the time to track one down rather than just cancelling the order and moving on.

Original review: April 6, 2022

Bottom line up front: Do not pre-order anything that has a chance to sell out everywhere. I placed an order for a record in December that was set to release in February. When the release date arrived, I got an email saying the date had been pushed by two weeks. No big deal. But this continues to occur each time the new date arrives. Customer Service just tells me over and over it will ship on this new date but has no actual insight on if the item ever was or ever will be stocked. At this point, it has sold out everywhere. Taking pre-orders on items that you have no real certainty will ever be stocked, and also not giving your customer service access to this information is a baffling business practice.

Dear Corey,

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to address your issue. We see that the order was delivered to you. If you have any further concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Cavellene

Original review: March 19, 2022

Mind blowing experience.. Bought a NOOK which is Barnes & Noble product, similar as Kindle. When I bought it I never ever in my life would thought that in 2022 there are still issues to buy e-books worldwide.. So tried to set my credit card, no option to choose my country (Lithuania). Right, made a transfer to PayPal, shouldn't be any problems with that, right? Wrong! Apparently, you cannot buy these products for taxes, VAT and other ** reasons, which does not make any sense.. So now my NOOK will be perfect coaster for coffee while I'm going to enjoy my audio book from Audible. Which as a matter a fact doesn't have any problems to sell products worldwide, and already bought what I was looking for. :)

Barnes & Noble response

Sorry for your disappointment, please know if you have a US based billing address and credit card, you are able to purchase ebooks from our site.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2022

I am a newly published author, Nefertiti Wolf. I have printed books from Lulu.com and Amazon with no problem. However, Barnes & Noble has been completely unprofessional, lazy and unreliable to its sellers. My publisher placed an order the BEGINNING of December for my books. When I received the books, there was different size font throughout the book and a picture missing from inside the book; there was a blank page where an illustration should be. We have emailed (since you can’t call) them numerous of times to send me the correct books but still no update or return box for the original books they ruined. It is now February and I do not have my books which I am now losing money for. This company is a disgrace to authors.

Resolution response: Feb. 4, 2022

After several days of worry, B&N Executive customer service intervened and took care of the issue -soley becuase of this review- still believe this should have been able to be resolved immediately. Nothing more frustrating than the "canned" answer repeated.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2022

Though I admit I made a mistake when I didn't check the last order address, but as soon as I hit "Submit" I realized it and tried to change/cancel or Modify the order (to either ship to my default address or cancel the order). IMMEDIATELY! I could take no action to do either and was told nothing they could do but wait for the order (going to a jail) to be rejected and come back. If that happens even. Though the website says "a short time to modify or make changes" there was NO time to do it. Very upset long time member out $430 and likely going to Amazon in the future.

Dear Christopher,

Thank you for alerting us to your situation. We truly apologize for any inconvenience. We would like an opportunity to investigate the matter.

Stephane

Original review: Jan. 7, 2022

I recently returned a book that I purchased only to find out that they would take the book back, keep my money, and give me a gift card. Apparently if you make a PayPal purchase, you cannot get your funds returned. One book is not a lot to me, but I feel this is a pretty disgusting policy and it will end the relationship that I have had with this business. I’m pretty disappointed that they chose this, even after I tried to reach out to their customer service to see if they could process the return differently. Reaching out to them only got me a copy of the fine print regarding their return policy. I will be finding locally owned book stores from now on.

Barnes & Noble response

Since PayPal is not an accepted payment method in any brick and mortar stores, it is not simply policy, but inaccessibility to PayPal systems, which prevents our brick and mortar stores from processing PayPal refunds. For online PayPal purchases, we suggest a returning the order to the Returns Department for the processing of PayPal refunds. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Barnes & Noble Company Information