1.22/5

625 Barnes & Noble Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 1, 2019

I had a horrible experience with customer service representatives via phone because they were very hard to understand BUT once I emailed them, within a few hours, I was able to get started on returning my defective Nook e-reader.

Original review: March 23, 2019

Placed an order last week, received it, no problems. Placed a second order got an order confirmation and a shipping confirmation with tracking, however I did notice multiple charges on my debit card. I called customer service immediately. Did not receive any help! Bottom line is I authorized a one time transaction for my order. I did NOT authorize a third charge, also I don't even know what it is for.

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 17, 2019

I purchased a "new" book on Barnes and Noble website on Feb. 18th. Thinking it was a great deal for the book and then $4.00 for shipping for 5-15 days delivery. I didn't receive the book until March 16th. Very disappointed. Though I called on two different occasions (3/5 and 3/11) checking on the delivery date since the status stated only that it was "On its way". I only then found out the book being purchased was by a 3rd party dealer. BnN could not assist in any way and I would have to contact them to get any more information and only by email. Refund could only be done if book not delivered by March 15th. Don't be in a rush. Also, book wasn't new, looked like a library book, cut out of front page also.

Original review: March 11, 2019

I purchased a folio cover for my nook tablet which cost me about 55 dollars with the shipment. I never received the shipment. So when I called them three months later, they told me there is absolutely nothing they can do. They didn't bother to check on the shipment and they refused to refund me. I received the below e-mail from them:

"Dear Mohammed **, Thank you for reaching out to Barnes and Noble about your December order. I understand and would be frustrated too if I hadn't ever received my order. The agent whom you spoke to did provide the correct information. We extended the Christmas refund period through January 31, 2019 this year to allow for extra time. At this time we are not able to track the item due to time expiration on tracking number so are not able to refund or replace. We apologize for any inconvenience. Sincerely, Malissa Customer Service Representative Barnes & Noble https://help.barnesandnoble.com/ 1-800-THE-BOOK Monday - Friday, 8 am to 11 pm ET Saturday & Sunday, 9 am to 11 pm ET"

Original review: March 3, 2019

I placed an order with Barnes and Noble online on 2/28. Paid for 3-5 business day shipping. On 3/2 I wanted to double check my order being that I was having it shipped to a hotel and would be leaving shortly. After checking online, I noticed that it stated that my order was canceled. I checked my bank online and noticed that the payment was in pending status. After texting with customer support I was told that my order was canceled from an issue with payment which my bank confirmed was untrue... I was told that I would just have to wait to get my funds back. I was never sent an update and this lack of communication and service is not what I would expect. Big disappointment.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barnes and Noble?

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

I travel on a sailboat in winter. Could have ordered book from Amazon & received in 2 days. Wanted to save a few dollars so ordered from Barnes & Noble. After placing order, received verification email from B&N stating delivery will be 13 to 15 business days. This WAS NOT clear while placing order. By time book arrives I will no longer be in Marathon FL. I called B&N customer service to cancel order. They said the order was being fulfilled by one of their market place sellers (AwesomeBooksUSA) & I would need to contact them. Awesome does not have phone customer service so I needed to email. By time I got reply, they said "sorry, too late - already mailed out - economy post - no tracking number." So looks like I just threw out the money. Total run around from both companies. Would recommend steering clear of both. There are better competitors.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

On 2/23/2019 I went to the B&N on 7700 NE 4th Plain Blvd Vancouver, WA 98662. I had contacted the store prior to driving there regarding a Lego item that I was missing from the morning's store event. ** the evening's assistant store manager was extremely rude in my request for assistance. His responses toward me appeared to be racially and sexually motivated. He was not willing to assist me. My husband confronted him and received a completely different response. ** appeared to be at least willing to assist my husband, who is of the same race. When I came up to ** asking for his name and the contact information for his manager, again I was treated in the same racial/sexist manner. I was told that my request was absurd and ** walked away from me mid-communication. When my husband told ** that his behavior was inappropriate and unprofessional, ** admitted to him that he was escalating his behavior towards me.

No person of any gender or racial background should be treated with disdain and disrespect. As an assistant manager ** offered no professional behavior. This is very disheartening. B&N should not continue to hire and promote racist employees and have them the face of a chain bookstore. Seems very contradictory to their desire to have good customer service.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

Ordered an item through B & N Marketplace. I received the wrong item. The seller (25% of this seller's reviews are 1-star...why are they still allowed to sell on B & N Marketplace?) did not include the invoice and therefore I had no return address information. After SEVERAL frustrating phone calls to B & N I finally prevailed in obtaining the address. I sent the item back with delivery confirmation and have yet to receive a refund. I’m now out the money I paid for the item as well as shipping charges to return the item I believe was sent in bad faith. Janet (Supervisor - customer service) promised to follow up. She never did. So tired of their poor customer service. They don’t look out for the customer at all. Caveat Emptor!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

Our youngest daughter got me a Barnes & Noble gift card for Christmas. Ordered on 12/14/18 - didn't get it so she called to let them know - they canceled that one which I got 4 weeks after shipping - supposedly sent a new one which I never received. She called to cancel and get a refund since they didn't seem to be able to get a shipment through and they refused to refund her money. Worst customer service anywhere. We won't be shopping there any longer.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

Tried to buy a NOOK book. I've bought hundreds in the past but B&N wants me to change my password first. Had a choice of email or security question. Email first. They sent me nothing so I tried the security question. But they don't believe me on my Father's middle name. Huh? No place to get help without logging in and of course you can't without changing password first. So I ordered from Amazon.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I was using both B&N.com for book purchases, and press.barnesandnoble.com for publishing my own books. Towards the end of January, B&N forced a password change on me against my will. I changed my password. From that point onwards I have been unable to log into press.barnesandnoble.com. I have traded several emails with B&N and nothing has been done. My last email until I sent another one today, was a week ago and they ignored it. They are effectively holding my published work hostage because I cannot get to it. I am now reduced to filing consumer complaints and trying to contact people at B&N by phone.

This same thing happened to me before, a couple of months ago when I last changed my password, I had exactly the same problem and it took over a week to resolve it. This time they act as if they don't give a damn if it ever gets resolved. This is unacceptable. My advice is not to do any business with B&N. They're incompetent and they simply do not care, period.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

They are the worst online book store I have ever dealt with. I placed an order online and less than ten minutes later I tried to cancel the item and I could not. I have never had that problem with other book stores. And a warning all prices on the website are in America dollars.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I had ordered a book online for a gift. When it arrived, before I even opened it, I saw it was damaged. The next day I went to the B & N website to contact them. Unfortunately for me, that was a bad choice. The initial text that I sent was at 10:06 am. I gave them the order number and sent a picture of the package. After waiting an hour and getting nothing, I went to the B & N store in St. George, Utah. The manager, Ron, was completely sympathetic and refund all my money including shipping. He said he had no copies of the book in the warehouse, but said the Salt Lake City store had 3 copies. He phoned them and arranged to have the book sent to the St. George store. He said he would call when it came in and decide if I wanted the book. I thanked him and left the store.

I was still at the mall when the chat finally returned my message. Time was 12:14 pm. Waiting over 2 hours for a service is unrealistic. So the two choices the chat offered were: 1. keeping the item and getting a $3.47 credit or 10% off; 2. returning the book using a prepaid label and going to UPS. I said I'd like a credit because I had returned the book to the store. So the next chat message was that I should contact the store to verify the refund. What does that even mean? Verify it to whom? Then I got a message saying, "It should be refunded on our end." Kind of hard to make that happen now. So instead I sent a picture of the receipt for the refund.

I explained how the store was going to replace the item. So then, I got this message: "Kindly contact the bank if the refund is processing." B & N create this problem for me. Their employee did a bad job of packing. Their understaffed chat caused a 2 hour delay in addressing the problem. To inconvenience me more, they expect me to call the bank which would be useless because I used a credit card.

So I say that they are being ridiculous, and all problems could be solved by just sending me a coupon for 10% off for the inconvenience. So coupon code arrives for 15% off one item and it expires on 2/10/2019. I reply with a thanks and say that today is Feb. 6, and I don't know if it will arrive in St. George by Feb. 10. The reply is that if I placed an order using the coupon, the discount would not be removed. Here's the thing. I was at the store at 11:42 am. I didn't get the coupon until 12:59 pm. How I could I have used a coupon that I hadn't even gotten yet? Then the chat response was that I could use the coupon on a future order, not the one they screwed up. I won't be doing that because I'll never use B & N online again.

Then I got this message: "We advise you to wait for the replacement." What other choice do I have. I asked if I was chatting with a person because some of the responses were so ridiculous. I did not get an answer for that question. I also asked to speak to a manager. No response to that either. So my marathon chat came to a close with this message: "We had you enjoyed our new text messaging experience." Dealing with Barnes and Noble online was not enjoyable. I'll just use Amazon in the future.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I ordered off of the Barnes & Noble website in mid December. I ordered a Christmas gift for someone and assumed with the holiday it may come a little late and that was okay. However I was not told that my item was coming by a third party. I was misled into thinking it was coming directly from Barnes & Noble. When I checked out it said I would receive my order as standard shipping. About a week later I tracked my package. It then told me it would take 13-15 business days. I thought, "Well that's not standard," but with the holiday I thought okay. Then well over 15 days had passed and still nothing. So I then called the customer service department through Barnes & Noble's and they were very rude, acting like I was bothering them.

Then I finally learned I was getting my package from a third party which I had no idea and that there was nothing they could do for me but give me an email address. They allow this third party crap on their website representing it as a business, but can't do anything about it. Then they told me when I should be expecting my package which would now mean a month and a half from when I ordered it. And it has now been 2 months and nothing. Barnes & Noble's is a crappy company that does not care about their customers. They are shady and running a very shady misleading business online. STAY AWAY FROM BARNES & NOBLE!!!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I ordered three books for my girls all going to three different places so I had to order them all separate. I had a gift Visa card for one. The other two orders were paid on my debit card. Once order was placed they withdrew the money instantly. Three days later they withdrew them both again. No place in the disclosure states they do this. I called my bank as I was not prepared for it to come out 4x so I received overdraft fees. I explained to the bank the other two were not to be taken from my account. They said to call Barnes & Noble so I did. I was told, "Sorry we always do this. We hold the money to be sure funds are there then we hold again once order is shipped. After it's shipped you will get a refund for the remaining amount 7 to 10 business days."

I'm very upset this was not disclosed! Had I known I would have ordered on Amazon or bought another Visa gift card. This has been nothing but misery for me and they will not pay any fees. They said I can send a letter of explanation and a copy of my private bank statement to them and they MAY be able to rectify this. So this should take a couple months to clear up and get my money back. NEVER NEVER WILL I ORDER FROM B&N AGAIN!!!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

I woke up to an email from Barnes & Noble saying that "there were changes to my account." Since I had not made any purchases I went online only to discover someone else had used my CC info and purchased almost $300 worth of books and e-books and was having it sent to THEIR home. FIRST, I called B&N and after 20 minutes of waiting hung up and called my bank. THEN, when I had nothing to do the rest of the day, I called them back and reported what had happened. I said "how did this happen, isn't it required that a 3 digit number (to verify) be put in?" I was told "It's been a long time since I made an online purchase Ma'am so, I don't know." Long story short they took care of it. Today, I go online to look at my bank account and notice 2 more charges (from yesterday) for E Books. I just called my bank. THIS SITE IS NOT SECURE. DO NOT LEAVE YOUR INFO ON IT.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I had been a loyal customer of B&N for a long time, and a couple of months ago I was sold a membership card at one of their stores claiming that I would get discounts on all B&N purchases. I tried to get a discount on an online purchase today and could not get it. A customer service rep told me not all purchases apply for discount so I requested a refund on the card, since it was sold under false pretenses. She said she could not do it and I asked to speak with a supervisor.

After 1 1/2 hours on hold the supervisor said they would not refund my money and I would have to go back to the store where I got the card. I explained that I bought the card for B&N purchases in general, not just at that particular store. I believe B&N should refund my money and take it up with their store themselves, but instead they refused to make good on my purchase. I guess the cost of a membership card is worth more to them than keeping a customer. It is not how I wanted it, but I guess it's GOODBYE BARNES & NOBLE, HELLO AMAZON!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Don't waste your time or money with these people. They have a horrible online cancellation policy! You only have 15 mins to cancel an order. They have slipped my textbook ship date from Jan 2 (on time) to Jan 18 (way too late). I asked them to overnight it when they got it; answer was no. I bought an ebook from Amazon so I could start my studies. Now I have been on hold for 15 minutes while I am being transferred to a manager who will probably also tell me no. They will probably never pick up. Barnes & Noble has horrible customer service and horrible policies.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Horrible. Horrible!!! They renewed my membership again after I canceled it last year. DO NOT GET A MEMBERSHIP. Can't anyone do something to this company for fraud!!! I called company and I needed my old business address to cancel it and my old business phone number - after a few minutes I remembered the info. Horrible.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

Years ago (easily 10 years ago), I was solicited in store to buy a membership at B&N. I did and the following year, it automatically renewed. I called and was told, they automatically renew memberships unless the customer tells them otherwise. Obviously a manipulative and fraudulent practice. I express my displeasure and ask them to credit me which they did. I ask them to stop the auto renewals and they assure me this is done. Each year since, I get this charge on my American Express. Each year, I have to call and explain and get it credited. I logged into my account and there isn't a member number (not sure how my account still logs in?) Nor is there a credit card on file (something I removed years ago). To top it off, my American Express number has changed 3-4 times, since my original membership, yet the charge still goes through. B&N needs to be dissuaded from this behavior! Do not buy a membership!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

Asked for a simple update on an order that was placed the last week of December. Was told that particular DVD collection was coming from a Marketplace Seller and that it should arrive in mid February. This is totally unacceptable and I will NEVER use Barnes and Noble again, for any reason. I can tell those who are interested in contacting customer service by email that you can do so at this address service@bn.com and they will respond with their usual we don't care attitude. Buyers Beware!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

Ordered book on 12/9/18, said 2-3 days it will arrive. Two Days later (12/11) I check tracking and picked up in Waukegan, IL. 12/20/18 it finally arrives in York, PA., then departs from there on 12/22/18. Arrived & departed Las Vegas, NV. on 12/24 two days later. Arrives now in Seattle on 12/25, Christmas Day, no present for my Granddaughter. Now it finally departs to next facility 4 days later on 12/29. Signed up for text notifications on 12/9/18, never received one text. Today is January 2, 2019, guess what? STILL NO BOOK! What poor customer service Barnes & Noble has given me. Never will I order from them online again! Amazon gets things here in 3-4 days, so do other companies. Guess B & N is going downhill with customer satisfaction.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

We ordered a book as a Christmas present on December 15 (Mary Berry's Cooking Bible). We decided to obtain a membership for Barnes and Noble this December, so the book had free "express shipping" of 2-3 days, which would have been in time for Christmas. On December 26, we noted the book was still "processing." The book is now due for arrival sometime by January 11, 2019. We contacted customer service to try to cancel this order, as we could order it from Amazon instead, for a cheaper price and with actual 2-day shipping.

The customer service agent stated the order cannot be canceled because it is 'processing.' Barnes and Noble has had the order processing for over three weeks, which prevents the customer from canceling an order that they fraudulently state will ship with a 2-3 day time frame. Do not waste your money on a membership with Barnes and Noble and do not try to use their online ordering, as the company is unreliable and does nothing to help its customers. We are highly disappointed and will never obtain a membership or shop online with B&N again.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I ordered a record and toys for Christmas with arrival before Christmas guaranteed. Both shipments were delayed and later marked to arrive after Christmas. Then I discover that somehow when I placed the order, their website only registered the street name for the delivery and not the street number of my address. They said I didn't enter the street number (which is hard to believe), but not sure how (even if that were the case) it would allow me to proceed with placing the order with an incomplete address.

I called several times to say that my order appears to be out with UPS with no street address and asked for help in fixing the order. Their customer service people barely speak English and could not assist me with straightening out the delivery address. They told me I would have to contact UPS and straighten it out with them since they had already shipped the items to the incomplete address. So, now my package is over a week late and I'm on my 3rd call to UPS still trying to track down my delivery. Horrible ordering experience and horrible customer service on Barnes and Nobles' part. I rarely use them anymore, but will definitely opt for Amazon instead going forward!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I had a membership for a year that I didn't want to renew. This morning I found they withdrew 25.00 from my bank account. An account I don't normally use anymore and to make things worse I'm hoping I didn't incur an overdraft fee. I contacted Barnes & Noble but they make everything so convoluted and confusing that it's hard to cancel or see the membership. I normally purchase from the store and from the store is where I signed up for the membership a year ago. I didn't know and never gave them permission to keep my card information online. Now I have to chase them to get my money back. But here is the kicker, I read that I have to cancel my membership 30 days before it starts. Well My membership begins 1/26/19 and they took my money today 12/27/18 so... effectively nulling the 30 day limit. So now I'm stuck with a membership I don't want nor authorized. Thanks for nothing Barnes & Nobles you screwed me over.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

BUYER BEWARE: I ordered books from Barnes & Noble online as Christmas gifts for my grandchildren. I paid for expedited shipping with a guaranteed delivery date of December 20th. As of today, December 26th, I still have not received the books. When I check the status of my order it shows completed with an estimated delivery date of JANUARY 4TH.

I contacted their customer service rep, Jonah, via chat who told me if the books didn't arrive by the 21st to contact them back. When I asked what they would do when I contacted them on the 21st, his response was "We will ship out replacements." When I asked him how that would put a gift under the Christmas tree for my grandchild, he disconnected the chat. I am reminded of the old adage: A happy customer will tell one or two friends. An unhappy customer will tell everyone! I am EXTREMELY UNHAPPY with Barnes & Noble. If I could give them less than one star, I would. #buyerbeware #brokenpromises #poorcustomerservice

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

I ordered two “I survived books” for my 10 year old son. The two I ordered were ones you can’t find on the shelves in store. I paid for them. Received an email confirmation and date to pick up by December 20th. I was very busy and I arrived on the 23d to pick them up. My order had been canceled and refunded “I hope, haven’t checked my card yet”. Of course when looking through store they were no longer available. The employee didn’t ask if I wanted her to check to see if they still had them in store. Or didn’t offer to tell me where I could find them if they had them in stock. I searched around a busy, crowded store for 20 minutes and gave up! I do realize I was late. But it wasn’t like that were just holding them for me. I paid in full. I will purchase from somewhere else.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

I ordered 5 albums on B&N on 12/21 at 6:23 am and paid extra for expedited shipping. The website said that anything ordered before 11 am would arrive on 12/24. All items were in stock online from B&N and not from independent sellers. After 11 pm, I received tracking numbers from UPS that these items would arrive on 12/27 UPS Ground from Louisville and NJ. Anyone knows that UPS ground over the weekend will not arrive on or before 12/24. I tried to contact customer service through the link and got a “Bad Request” message. Other parts of the site said there is no phone support until 9 am on Saturday. So I have to wait until 9 am which I will expect to be an excuse if I can even get ahold of customer service. Very upset and have lost any faith in B&N as their shipping policies are not accurate.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I purchased an expensive book through Barnes & Noble online. The book was delivered with a damaged spine. I contacted Barnes & Noble and after speaking with multiple supervisors I was informed that it is not their problem. Even though the product was ordered through their website they source the book from a third party company. I was told I would need to contact the other company to address the damaged book. Please do yourself a favor and never order anything through Barnes & Noble.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I will no longer purchase any item from Barnes & Noble. False Advertisements, Horrible Shipping practices, Terrible Customer Service. I ordered a book on 12/10/18 to be at my home before Christmas, per their online website information. As of yesterday 12/19, 9 days later, this item had not even been shipped out of the warehouse yet, and the book won't be delivered until the 27th?

Called Customer Service, was told sorry our warehouse wasn't "prepared." And then spoke to 2 managers, on 2 different days, asking since the item had not yet shipped out of the warehouse, could I pay for expedited shipping to receive this item before Christmas. "NO. NOTHING can be done, once the order is placed cannot be canceled, cannot be captured for expedited shipping, cannot be changed. NOTHING CAN BE DONE." Basically Barnes & Noble customers are out of luck for shipping and deliveries prior to the Holiday.

I asked if I could place another order with expedited shipping, and the manager said, "You could" but Barnes & Noble CANNOT GUARANTEE that even with expedited shipping, the book would be at my house before Christmas! Is there a need to go through this nonsense to support a company that does not care about their customers, nor their lack of services? No. My business will be done with Amazon instead.

Barnes & Noble Company Information