Barnes & Noble

Barnes & Noble

3.9/5 (479 ratings)

About Barnes & Noble

Barnes & Noble Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barnes & Noble?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barnes and Noble?

Original review: Jan. 7, 2022

I recently returned a book that I purchased only to find out that they would take the book back, keep my money, and give me a gift card. Apparently if you make a PayPal purchase, you cannot get your funds returned. One book is not a lot to me, but I feel this is a pretty disgusting policy and it will end the relationship that I have had with this business. I’m pretty disappointed that they chose this, even after I tried to reach out to their customer service to see if they could process the return differently. Reaching out to them only got me a copy of the fine print regarding their return policy. I will be finding locally owned book stores from now on.

Barnes & Noble response

Since PayPal is not an accepted payment method in any brick and mortar stores, it is not simply policy, but inaccessibility to PayPal systems, which prevents our brick and mortar stores from processing PayPal refunds. For online PayPal purchases, we suggest a returning the order to the Returns Department for the processing of PayPal refunds. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: Jan. 6, 2022

Have done business with Barnes and Noble for many years. No more. Ordered a set of books for my daughters birthday. To insure it would arrive on time, purchased the expedited shipping. For two days straight, got email stating packaged shipped. The tracking shows "label created only" on both Barnes and Noble website and UPS. The Barnes and Noble rep says to wait one more day and then call back. You can't actually talk to anyone at UPS. Realistically, if UPS does not have the package, it won't be here tomorrow. If you want to compete, customer service can make or break you.

Barnes & Noble response

We know the importance of timely arrival of a gift and apologize for the issues you have experienced with your order. If you will provide us with your order details, we will address this matter at once.

Get buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Dec. 28, 2021

Updated on 01/06/2022: I have had an ongoing issue trying to publish my hardcover book. It has been showing as processing for a number weeks. To make matters worse the only time Barnes and Noble pays attention to my issue is when I write a negative review. Then they very disingenuously offer to help and when I explain the issue there is no follow up from them whatsoever. Stay away from them for self publishing. I assume because it was Barnes and Noble they would be good. They are awful. Please stay away.

Original review: Barnes and Noble is terrible for self publishing. My book has been stuck on processing for two weeks now and customer service has ignored by request to investigate the issue. I would definitely recommend Amazon for self publishing. They were most helpful.

Barnes & Noble response

We show that titles are currently on sale and have requested additional information to research this matter further.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Dec. 26, 2021

I wanted to send a book as a gift. I normally use Amazon, but I literally felt sorry for Barnes & Noble and wanted to give them some business. Barnes & Noble sent the wrong book. When I told them of the error, they refused to refund me. When I filed a dispute with my credit card they fought it tooth and nail. Congratulations Barnes & Noble, you cheated me out of my hard earned money. Hope it was worth it, because you will never get another cent from me. Sincerely, A former lifelong customer.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2021

I ordered a Barnes and Noble gift card with a specific design on December 13th. I was informed that the expected delivery date was on or before December 21st and standard delivery would be 3-5 business days. The customer service rep confirmed that the gift card had not been delivered and since the company delayed the shipping of a basic gift card, the delivery date was delayed as well. I was offered a replacement gift card that would arrive 8-10 days later (well after the holidays) or to nullify the gift card order and get issued a refund.

I am now left without the gift card and nothing to show for the gift that I was depending on for the holidays. B and N offered no other consolation or anything for the inconvenience. I learned my lesson for trusting Barnes and Noble. At least Amazon would have offered customer loyalty and would have shipped right away. Save yourselves the frustration.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2021

I ordered a book online. I received the wrong book, not even close to what I ordered. I called the B & N shipping. Was told they will send the correct order with a shipping label and take it to UPS to send the wrong book back. Once I received the correct book, it came with a label to ship the error back. Went to UPS, and they said it was not a label for them, it was for USPS... Took it to local post office and was informed it was not a prepaid label and it would cost $10.15. I paid it so I would not be charged for the book I did not order.

Called B & N to explain the situation. Was told by the lady that they will not reimburse me and to take it up with the USPS (it is not USPS's mistake) so that is totally a lack of responsibility on B & N. DO NOT ORDER ANYTHING FROM THIS COMPANY! Also, I believe in EOE, but the lady hardly spoke English. Why would you put a foreign language speaking person in a position that requires communication in an English dominant environment? I never could understand that...

Dear Eric,

We believe you may have used the generic return label that is sent in all shipments for customers who do not wish to keep their orders. When a problem is reported to us and a return is necessary, Barnes & Noble will provide a prepaid merchandise return label, as we do not expect customers to pay for shipping when there is an error with the order. Please contact us as requested in our previous message, so that we may resolve the issue.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2021

Incompetence is something I don’t deal with well. I ordered a book in November to ensure by xmas. Got a tracking # but the shipper never got the product, B&N refused to reissue. Bad business. Never again.

Barnes & Noble response

We truly apologize for your experience and will be reaching out to you shortly to offer a resolution on this matter.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2021

A few years ago I went to buy some books. Cashier told me there was a one time payment membership. That was a lie. I found out later that they charged me 2 more times for like 60 bucks! Lol what?? Wow. Didn’t email me about it or anything. I found out through looking at my bank account. I was angry because I was lied to and 60 bucks is a lot. If you use Barnes and Noble a lot then good for you. It might be worth it. But not for me. It’s also the fact that they LIED to me and it was a pain to find out how to cancel it. I’m pretty sure the company knows about it so my suggestion is to you B&N: Make sure you email people that you’re going to take out money from their account and make sure that your employees know what the hell they’re talking about and make sure the customer knows it will charge them 60 (or however much) every year. Make them knowledgeable and make them truthful. I would’ve LOVED to know that ahead of time.

Would’ve saved me money and frustration and inconvenience. Thanks but no thanks. I’m never going again for the rest of my life and neither are my kids and I’m telling my friends and family about it so they can watch out for your lying employees and scammy ways. LOL. Good luck with your company in the long run 'cause you’re going to need it. I don’t see it lasting too long but we shall see.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2021

In front of the store display of books with the ** words. Very offensive.. I don't want my kids to see that!!!! Is this the new normal??!! Parents be aware! We go to Barnes & Noble to get educated not get exposed to trash talk.. Is this America??!!

Original review: July 20, 2021

I was going to publish my first book with Barnes & Noble Press. I was very excited about it. I had everything set up perfectly. I wanted a Proof first before I published it so I can see if I needed to make any necessary corrections. Well B&N Press says to click on the "Submit" for approval button and then they will get back to me. I did but no one got back to me. So I did it again, nothing, did it again, nothing. Then I wrote them an email and days after that someone finally wrote me back saying to click on the button again. I explained that that does not work. So they submitted it for me and it was approved.

So I ordered my Proof, which is still in the delivery process. Then I noticed that B&N Press put my book up for sale - Pre-Order at $7.44!! This is their default for books - PreOrder at $7.44. I did not approve of this nor did I authorize it because 1. I still didn't receive the Proof and 2. I was going to list my book for $22.97. So now they're making me look like a fool to my customers because they're seeing the book for sale at $7.44. I sent B&N Press Support an email to remove this listing. Days passed by and they didn't email me back. I sent another email, nothing. I ended up deleting my entire book from B&N Press. Days later my book is STILL up for sale on their website and on Google search engine. The book is gone, removed completely, so what are they selling? I clicked on the Buy button thinking that it'll show that there is no book, but instead the B&N website put the book in my cart!! Fraudulent.

There is NO phone number for B&N Press so I called corporate of B&N. Turns out they can't remove the listing and THEY can't even get in touch with B&N Press. The girl told me to email them and gave me the same email address that I've been using. She said there's no phone number for them and absolutely nothing else to do but to email them. This is completely ridiculous. I'm at a loss and being screwed by Barnes and Noble. Never thought I would ever say those words. I held B&N in the utmost respect but now they're ruining my experience of publishing my first book. Horrible.

Barnes & Noble Company Information