2. Shopping
  3. Retail Stores

Barnes & Noble

Barnes & Noble
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.97/5

Find discount codes while you shop.

See how much you can save using Honey

Get started

Find discount codes while you shop.

See how much you can save using Honey

Get started

Barnes & Noble Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barnes & Noble?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barnes and Noble?

Original review: Oct. 23, 2020

Paid extra for gift wrap and for a card with a note with expensive book purchase for a special friend. Little or no attention was paid to gift card; the requested note on the gift card was offset and illegible, and therefore not usable. Product was easy to order, shipping time was great, but trying to get in touch with B&N to resolve the gift card was a nightmare, and is still unresolved. I cannot recommend spending extra for wrap and card or trying to reach B&N customer service online. There was 45-minute wait to call customer service; one has to open an account to reach them by email online.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2020

If you want to buy a book Barnes and Noble is fine. If, however, you need to return an item as we did with a Nook because we can't use it without WiFi, think again. All I wanted to do was return this item, just as I do on Amazon, and it was a nightmare. It has taken three days and I don't know how many phone calls. In the end we are paying for postage and shipping it registered mail. This experience was like trying to steal gold from Fort Knox. It's not the people so much and it is the system. Stick with Amazon.

Get buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2020

Like many people, I have waited YEARS for midnight sun to be written and sold. So on May 6th 2020 I pre-ordered the book as soon as I found out she finished it. Today is August 12, 2020 and I was suppose to receive the masterpiece 3 days ago. I go online to check the status and it said that the book was sold out and I would receive mine after they got more. I pre-ordered it! Months ago! I was so upset, I emailed the company, and a few hours later I get on to check the status again and now it says I can't see it because I never ordered the book. I check my bank account from May and turns out they never charged me (even though I checked right after purchasing it, it was pending and I had plenty in the account).

Now this was definitely partly my fault as I didn't make sure it went through but I've never had a problem like this and I did not find it necessary to check my bank more than the once because barns and noble sent me a confirmation email that said I purchased it! They did not send me a cancellation email, or anything of the sort. So I had no clue that they cancelled my order. So I ordered a new book from Amazon for half the price. This is why Barnes and Noble is going out of business, I was trying to support them but what a waste of time. Oh, and I never heard back from the company from my email, and I had tried calling several times and spent a long time on hold before I gave up. I'm not going to sit on the phone for 30 minutes to talk to someone that's just ridiculous.

Original review: July 31, 2020

If you order any book from them and give an honest review on it, they don't seem to like it. Whatever happened to Freedom of Speech? My review about that book was written by a "medical professional" who's telling people in this book that it's okay to take showers without soap. I completely disagreed with this "medical professional's" advice (and I'm also in the medical field too, I'm an LPN) and even wondered what kind of person would tell other people that, especially in this age of Covid-19.

So I expressed my concerns on their review section on their website, and they sent me an email saying that they didn't publish my review because I was in violation of their terms and conditions for posting comments on their website, although I never said anything derogatory about the author of the book (except did they get their medical license from the back of a cereal box, which is a harmless statement). I basically compared this book telling people not to use soap when they take a shower to telling children to go ahead and eat those laundry detergent pods. Apparently, Barnes and Noble hated that but WELCOMED me to write other reviews on their site. I guess as long as you don't tell the truth, they'll publish it.

Original review: July 24, 2020

I ordered books on July 2. As of July 24, they have not arrived. I got the order numbers from my receipt and typed the order numbers into my account. They no longer show up in my order list. They lost the orders. I can get the same books from Amazon within a week, with no problems, because Amazon doesn't lose orders. I can understand why B&N is going out of business. "B&N" must stand for "BROKE AND NO GOOD." I have had many bad experiences with BROKE AND NO GOOD in the past of a similar kind. I will never order from them again.

Original review: July 9, 2020

Don't sign up for automatic renewals! If you aren't using the membership you'll still be charged without a renewal reminder letter or email. LOL — have been put on hold 25 minutes ago by a supervisor... Guess this is Barnes & Noble's brand of "customer" service!

Original review: June 23, 2020

I made the mistake of buying three nook books online. When the books arrived two of them were in German. I have been trying very hard for the past week to correct this problem. Going to their store did not work. I tried to call them many times but to no avail. They are hiding under the covid-19 for not being able to keep enough staff. I now understand why they are going under. This is why such businesses fail. They are super fast getting your money but when it comes to give you service they cannot be reached. I strongly recommend against anybody dealing with them.

Original review: June 11, 2020

This is pretty much my last straw. Look, I’m a forgiving person. Delays of 1, 2,3,4,5,6,7 days... ok. But when a company is MONTHS late and has no recourse to cancel an order they need to be sued. Unethical and disgusting greedy slime. Chat is disabled. Emails bounce back as u deliverable. Broken links in emails leading to never ending loop on website. Calling? HA! I waited 30 min on hold only to get someone who didn’t speak English, contradicted herself and ultimately said it was a “bad connection”. Click. I’ll fight you greedy corporate pigs for every dime you charge me for merchandise I never got because you do this every time.

Original review: June 10, 2020

My 86 year old mother has had 2 previous NOOK readers from Barnes & Noble. In April NOOK #2 dies. I went online and purchased an early Mother's Day gift of the newest NOOK product. My mother had difficulty transferring information from the old unit to the new one. Due to COVID 19 the local store was closed. She waited patiently for almost two months to get help from an associate.

Today, June 8, 2020 she takes the new unit, in the original box, to the store. The associate at the Pensacola, FL location refused to touch the unit due to the virus. It is a hard surface. The CDC has said that COVID 19 does not live well in hard surfaces. If you are concerned wipe it down. Don't give an 86 year old woman a phone number and "gee sorry".

The unit cost me almost $200 and all my mother has is a phone number and nothing to read. She will have to get someone to help her with calling and setting things up. Shame on your associate and shame on management for not training their employees how to show a bit of compassion. Barnes and Noble has gotten their last dollar out of me.

Spencer **

Cape Canaveral, FL

Original review: May 22, 2020

We enjoy bookstores, but whenever we've ordered or pre-ordered books or merchandise we have problems. We ordered Christmas gifts and got emails about delay, delay, delay -- then an abrupt "we cancelled your order." We did NOT get a full refund for items they cancelled! We pre-ordered the new Hunger Games book because someone gave us a gift card. Same story: delay, shipping delay, shipper has given up, BUT nobody has fixed the issue, tried to start a new shipment, or refunded the order -- 5 business days after the date it should have ARRIVED (8 days after shipping started - it is lost). I've been on the phone for over 30 minutes with no help, and likely won't get it resolved AGAIN (or they will "forget" to give us all our refund, like last time, and since you have to wait for an email, it takes a new phone call -- an hour or more -- to get the rest of the money).

Please don't buy your friends and families gift cards unless you think they will go to a store and leave with products in their hands. If you can't leave with an item in your hands, then I hope you get all your items shipped to you, because otherwise it is a part-time job to get "customer service" from this company. While other businesses have tried to do a better job with COVID-19, B&N has used it as an excuse to carry on the same, poor, slow, sloppy, incomplete "customer service" that they always had. Now they can wave the virus excuse around and pretend it is the cause. Nope!

I can't wait to dump these gift cards and shop elsewhere where I won't get the runaround and incomplete refunds. Mistakes are OK, but lies on delays (when in fact they never had the product), lack of trying to help without me spending 1-2 hours on the phone for their mistakes, and incomplete refunds after I've spend a couple of hours on the phone are just not OK. Please don't buy a gift card & torture someone you care about!

Barnes & Noble Company Information