Barnes & Noble

Compare Retail Stores

Research top Retail Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I obtained a Kids Club membership almost 9 years ago and I lost my card about a year ago. I obtained a new card. Put the same e-mail address, used the same name, etc. At first the store never activated my new card after explaining to the cashier my situation and them telling me they would take care of it. They looked me up by my e-mail address and told me that my old account was linked to a man I never knew and that it is best I open a new account, so I did. I used the card for a year on and off buying books for my kids and never paid attention until one cashier told me my card was not activated and they were going to take care of it right away. I thought great! What happened was that my old account was never linked to a man I never knew, it was linked to me using my e-mail address, the same name and e-mail address with my new card.

I have spent over 2 hours in online and over the phone chatting to try and combine the two accounts. On the online account they saw my transactions on both accounts and apparently my rewards have been going to my old account unless I used my unactivated Kids Club card in which case I was awarded nothing. Once my card was activated I started obtaining points. The online chat session was really helpful but not able to merge the accounts and they told me to call the 1-800 number. I called the number and the person I spoke with did not understand English and was not able to help me.

After spending 20 minutes of going in a circle (no kidding) I asked to speak with a supervisor and they disconnected the call. The telephone agent I spoke with acted like she was unable to get into my other account and that I had to come up with my telephone number I had 9 years ago. I do not remember that number for anything and therefore, there was no way she could help me. Mind you, the chat session agent was able to get into my account AND my account has the same name and e-mail address as both accounts. I was able to confirm my address for both accounts, but because of one telephone number, I was shut down. Who cares about your over priced book store. I will be shopping Amazon from now on.

I ordered an important book for a college class on 6/12. The shipping choices were free, a fee for 3-day, and a high amount for express. I choose 3-day. My order confirmation came as expected, and the shipping confirmation a day later. When checking the UPS tracking information -- it gave no details. When I checked today online with a text customer service rep -- she told me that my book was scheduled to be delivered on 6/23. I was promised 3-day shipping and paid for it. Three day shipping from 6/12 should have been 6/15 or 6/16 -- NOT 6/23. This is totally unacceptable when you're waiting on a book for a class and have expectations that the company will actually live up to its promised delivery schedule.

The customer service rep didn't see a problem with 3-day shipping actually meaning 2-weeks, and wouldn't entertain my request to FedEx me a copy immediately. I will try and find the book elsewhere, and expect full reimbursement -- including the shipping charges. Too bad you cannot be depended on -- we'll not be using your services again.

We ordered several books from Barnes and Noble online and never received two out of five, and upon returning from vacation were told it was too late for a refund so we are out $25. Customer service is TERRIBLE.

This morning I went to Barnes & Noble to purchase 3 books. Only one was available. The salesmen said I am a member and if I order the 2 missing books they give shipping free and 105 discount on the books. So I said fine and ordered the 2 books which was not available at the store. To my surprise the sales person never said if I order it will be much less than what I pay at the store. When I came home my wife checked the books online and found out if we had ordered the books online we would have paid almost $14.99 less than what we paid at the store. Including shipping without a membership. So Barnes & Noble membership is good for fools. Because they are fooling and lying to customers.

Thank God to my wife. Who opened my eyes to see this fraud and scam Barnes & Noble is up to. I will not extend my membership with them. Rather go to Amazon. Customers please be aware before you pay extra money to Barnes & Noble. I traveled 60 miles to Barnes & Noble to pay extra 14.99 to buy 3 books having a membership with them and to find out it's just a fraud. And false advertising.

Ordered a package and paid for expedited shipping which should have been 3 days. Got a shipping notification 4 days later. On the 5th day called about it. Customer service said it just shipped and will now take 3 days to ship. My tracking info says it didn't ship. I asked if they could call UPS to expedite shipping. They said "We have no way to contact UPS." WHAT??? So, I called UPS. They confirmed it did not ship yet. It's still at Barnes & Noble. These books were needed today for a class and now I can't even guarantee we'll have them for our second class. Once we get them they'll be foolishly late it will certainly make our program look bad.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barnes and Noble?

I bought two books on Barnes & Noble, not realizing that one of the two was a 3rd party shipment. The items said it would take 5 days and when the 5th day came and my book had not arrived, I called Barnes & Noble, who told me that it basically was not their problem, even though they falsely advertised the delivery date and that I had to wait two weeks or more for my item to be shipped and then I can return it to get a refund. This is absurd and I should have known better to order from Amazon or even Ebay, who are far more reliable and cheaper! I will NEVER order from Barnes & Noble ever again and others will know what happened here. This is very bad business on their end, very bad!

I have NEVER been so disappointed. I have been an Amazon customer for years and now I know why. I ordered a law school book on May 4 for a May 18 delivery. As of May 20, the tracking information on the website said, "estimated May 18". Being two days later than when the book was "estimated," I called the customer support line and they said they "sent me an email on May 17 saying they were having troubles processing my payment."

First: I have NO RECORD of said email. I am not an idiot. I know how to check spam. The email was not sent. Second, their best business practice is to notify a customer one day before it was supposed to be delivered that there were processing problems?!! I relied upon the delivery of these books as my law school class starts on the 22nd. There was ample time to contact me as I ordered this book two weeks ago... I relied upon the status of my order as reported by Barnes and Noble locator to my detriment. I am owed recourse but the rep simply said that "we need to just replace the order." I needed this book two days ago!!! I asked if the book was in a store near me... or if there was a digital version that I could access while my order was being "reprocessed..." and nothing. This is a disgrace of customer service. People will know about this. DO NOT RELY ON BARNES AND NOBLE!!!

I rent a cheap book in January online and make the mistake to do it for 60 days. When I realize that I need to cover my semester I went back. Their website is horrible, so I contact them and told them the time I need to rent. Now I get it mail. They trying to charge me over 100 dollars because according to them is past due. Though they have all the information that I contact them to change days it is their mistake and can take the charge off. Customer service are very rude and it seems like their phone lines are not clear either. I never have any problem with Amazon. One of the customer lady refused to give her name and threat me to sent it to collection.

I first rented the books in January at Barnes & Noble. I forgot which site I've rented the books from and I was waiting for a reminder email for the return of my books. However, there was no email sent to me. When I finally found out where I've rented the books from by going thru all my credit cards and laptop history - It was too late. They've already charged me for the extended fees, and the full price of the books. I called them and explained to them that I never once did received an emails in regard to the charged of the books nor do I remember where I rented the books from. Their response: "You can check our site for the due date of your books" and we did send you an email. If I have received an email from them, I don't think I would want to let the books sit on my table, and get charged with a full price. Bottom line is to stay away from this company. They will not able to resolve anything and will blame everything on you.

I placed a small order for a violin book (total order $7.40 w/ shipping) needed for my son's violin lessons on 4/25/17 and received a shipped notice on 4/26/17 with info on the 3rd part vendor. I contacted Barnes and Noble customer service on 5/15/17 since the book had not been received. They informed me that I technically had until 1pm on 5/16/17 and would not issue a refund. I contacted Barnes and Noble again on 5/16/17 around 5:45pm in reference to the book that still had not been received. I was informed by customer service that I had to wait until after 7 pm as the book could still be delivered. I work from home and know when all the mail and package carriers deliver in my neighborhood as I work from home and informed the customer service agent of this.

I called back after 8 pm upon returning home again to no package (surprise, surprise) and again called Barnes and Noble to request a refund. I requested an incident number to document the call. The CSR states that they will request the refund from the 3rd party vendor. If they won't send a $3 book, do I really expect them to refund the purchase price plus shipping? No, I suspect they are banking on people not following thru with refund requests etc. on small dollar purchases. I will be contacting my credit card and disputing the charges on my card. Game on Barnes and Noble and your crappy 3rd party vendors.

I have worked with both textbook rentals. The customer service at Barnes and Noble is a ** show! They don't help you with anything! They only want your money!! If there are too many highlights they classify it as "damage" and charge you the whole book. If you are late they also charge you for the WHOLE book!! Never had that problem with Amazon in fact, when I was late and they charged me they refunded it with no hassle. Bottom Line: RENT FROM AMAZON or YOUR CAMPUS BOOKSTORE (eFollett). DO NOT GIVE BARNES AND NOBLE YOUR MONEY!!! They do not treat consumers well!

I ordered a book from Barnes and Noble's Marketplace seller, Media Neat on 26 Feb 2017: Interconnections Second Edition - Bridges, Routers, Switches and Internetworking Protocols. When I received the package, I found that the book is seriously damaged, and contacted Media Neat in email, attached some pictures, and asked them how we can resolve this issue. They offered a partial refund (did not mention a percentage), but I rejected that because the book was completely useless, I had to buy a new one. We agreed on that I will return it to them, and that they will reimburse the return shipping on top of the full refund (I informed them about the cost of return shipping before). However, they refunded my original payment (USD 38.70 for the book and USD 19.95 for shipping), they did not reimburse the return shipping (USD 55.00).

I tried to contact them multiple times directly but they did not respond. I also contacted Barnes and Noble multiple times but they sent only template messages without actually reading my email. I am extremely annoyed with Barnes and Noble and Media Neat. If I knew in advance at least that they lied and will not reimburse it, I would not have sent it back because now I have a loss of USD 55.00 on this deal (not to speak about the work of doing the packing, finding a carrier, going to the post office many times, waiting for the tracking information, and communicating with the seller). At the same time, they are making a profit of USD 41.35 on this deal as they insured the package for USD 100.00! This makes me really angry. Due to this over-insurance the package had to be processed in the customs office which took a lot of time and could be avoided if the seller declares the price I paid (USD 58.65 is below the limit of USD 60.00) on the package.

I feel like the fees and rules for membership should be stated in one location so that people understand that a. Free member shipping does NOT mean membership is free. b. Once you sign up for membership if you order even one item, they charge your card and you cannot cancel that membership and c. They will continue charging your card every year until you cancel, but they make it hard to cancel. I admit, I was duped mostly because I didn't read carefully enough and that's on me, but the info they provide on the membership is all over the site-very convoluted and confusing. I think they prey on consumers. Now I can't find a "membership” number on file to cancel my membership, so I'm in the process of having to cancel my bank card and have a new one reissued so they don't charge it every year. Buyer beware!

I submitted a complaint due to received book condition. If a used item with black magic marker on the cover is considered good condition, something is wrong here & it is NOT what I expected. THIS IS NOT STAINING!!! WE DID NOT WRITE THE NAME ON THE COVER IN BLACK MAGIC MARKER & WE DID NOT WRITE IN THE BOOK!

Do not purchase the membership they try to push. You will not get most of the benefits they claim. They claim members get free express shipping, however it is anything but express. They actually ship UPS ground and it takes 5-10 days. I asked how they consider that express, which most of the civilized world would define express as 1-3 days, but they could not give a reasonable explanation. You are better off getting your books on Amazon. I am also going to ask the NJ Attorney General's office to investigate Barnes & Noble for fraud as they are not providing the service they advertise. I will be looking into a class action lawsuit. So all of us who have been duped can be compensated.

The format for displaying new authors and books was changed around January and February from having a section with the new books at the beginning of each section to having them mingled in with the old books. There is a table that displays some of the new hardbacks in no certain order and a spinner rack that displays some of the new books but not all of them! This is very bad business! All you had to do was consolidate the original format down from 4 books wide of the same title to 2 books wide and this would have given you more display room. Now you are making new authors and customers inconvenienced and probably losing money. I have really tried to use this new system but, trust me IT IS JUST TOO INCONVENIENT to find new books. I will be looking for a new venue.

I ordered 2 books online for my brother-in-law's birthday with 2 day air. When I checked to see if it had be delivered on the day it should have been UPS stated it would not be delivered for 2 more day. I did online chat with Barnes & Noble and they could not give me a reason for the delay in shipment even though I paid extra for 2 day delivery. I tried to get them to contact their store close by the address of shipment and they said they could not do that. I will not be ordering online from them again and probable will not buy anything from their store again. Amazon has better customer service.

I recently ordered 2 books in which my debit card was charged. I got an email immediately after placing my order. It showed on my bank statement. I have autopsy for my monthly bills and 1 didn't go thru because Barnes & Noble charged me again. I'm very dissatisfied with outcome and I will NEVER order from them again. I only rated them 1 because the rates don't go lower. I am a senior citizen and I do not have money to throw away like that. Bad business Barnes & Noble.

I have an e-mail address plus a membership with Barnes & Noble. For some reason they cannot correct my e-mail address so I can't order online using my membership card. I've tried through the internet and even in person to have this corrected, it has been going on for several years now. Also their website will say a book isn't available at this time yet when I go to Amazon I can get a book within a couple of days. Time to get rid of the membership card and get a PRIME card through Amazon.

Just received an email that from Barnes and Noble that states "Due to an error, which has been rectified, multiple authorizations may have been posted to the payment method used on this order. Any pending authorizations will be removed within several business days, depending on your bank." I called and inquired 1) how many orders were affected in the same way, 2) what caused this error (?hacking, ?stupidity, etc), and why it is up to my bank to determine how many days the authorizations remain posted. I understood the B&N person I spoke with to say that she did not know of any press release regarding the problem nor did she know how the problem occurred. Every minute that the "extra" transactions go against my account means that my credit card is limited by the amounts of each "extra" transaction. I don't think B&N can afford to have any screw-ups lest it go by the wayside like Borders! I don't plan to order online from B&N anymore.

I hope nobody is buying from this disgusting company anymore, they need to go bankrupt. I homeschool and ordered a big amount of workbooks that they shipped somewhere else. Calling customer service the guy acknowledged that they shipped it to the wrong address but told me, I can't be credited unless the items are returned? How can I return something I didn't get? DISGUSTING service, now I need to dispute with credit card. NEVER BUY FROM THEM!

My daughter is in college so we could have several books rented or purchased at one time. I tried Barnes & Noble. BIG MISTAKE. They did not contact me with info about returning the book. I did not receive an email about the due date and or access to shipping labels etc. Other companies do this. The only notification that I received was when they charged my credit card for the purchase of the book. When I called customer service there was no flexibility - I had bought the book. The charge did not go through on the credit card - I notified customer service but again no flexibility just advising me I purchased the book. Again with no notification the "account" was sent to a collection agency for the cost of the book. We rent a lot of books during the school year and I will never use Barnes & Noble again. It is not worth the trouble and negative mark on my credit.

I rented a textbook I needed for a college course thru barnesandnoble.com. I received the book by mail in terrible condition. It was falling apart literally, sections and binding of the book were coming apart. My mistake was not calling in to complain, I assumed they knew what condition they sent their books out to renters. Well, I returned the book on time by mail, and received an email a few days later of them trying to charge my card again but for the full price of the book! They accused me of ruining the book and that it was in bad condition. I spend some time over the phone with one of their CSRs who was obviously outsourced working out of another country. He assured me the issue was resolved and I would not be charged and that my credit card would also be refunded.

Little did I know he was just saying that and lied, because I received no refund and I am getting billed by a collection agency for the full price of this book that is not in my possession and worse part about it, now this is on my credit report! Do not rent from barnesandnoble.com. They send you trashy books, accuse you of destroying them, and besides charging the rental fee, attempt to bill you full price for the book after returning it, and then report you to collections. I will never do business with them again and will advise my college peers not to either. Get your textbooks elsewhere, never online, and especially not with rip off con artist like B&N!!!

I have been charged for a magazine subscription that I did not renew and had set to end for 2 months in a row by B&N. In an email, I was reassured that I wouldn't be charged for anything till 04-03-2018 if I followed all the steps to check my account, but the content of the email was clearly meaningless and meant to mislead rather than assist. As a college student, barely making minimum wage, it's quite unfortunate to see a company pull tricks through subscriptions. I used to love going to Barnes & Noble as a kid. I got most of my Harry Potter books there at the release parties but now, it's not a place I can trust, let alone a place where I can conduct business. I'm really upset about how my, and I imagine many others, situation has been managed. I won't be using B&N products and services any longer.

They will charge you extra fees for rentals and will not refund them once you have returned the books before due date. They are really lining their pockets. They also do authorization charges and if not careful, they will tap your pockets double. All of these complaints should be reported to State General Attorney Offices so they can be sued and closed down.

While the selection of books and DVD/CD materials is excellent at B&N, their card membership is not worth the $25 a year. Here is why: When they send you a coupon for a purchase (such as 20% or 30%), when you apply it, the price of the item goes up the full retail price instead of the advertised price they have. Overall a lot of their advertised price is better than a lot of other booksellers, but when you apply your "membership coupon" you save less than you would if you just bought their advertised price. For example, I ordered the Pimsleur German Level 1-4 Unlimited (current advertised price is $420).

So to circumvent the el-switcho to full retail price (which is $451.21 full retail minus 30%), I ordered as a guest and then applied a 30% coupon and then submitted the order without signing in. The other disappointment is that you pay that "$25.00 USD" so that whenever you order online, your orders automatically get expedited shipping for free. This is a little bit deceitful because like I said, if you sign in, then they take the full retail price so that you can use the coupon and get your expedited shipping basically at your expense (since you are paying full retail.). I do not plan on renewing my membership.

I tried to order an ebook through the Barnes and Noble Nook Online site. I was using a GIFT CARD to purchase the book. I could not place the order without putting a default credit card on my account. There is NO WAY to order a NOOK book without having a valid credit card on file. If I were to go into the store and buy a hardcover book, I would be able to use my gift card WITHOUT showing them my credit card. They make no apologies and SAY they will pass the information along, but I doubt they will. They are the ONLY BUSINESS that requires you to keep a valid credit card on your account. The reason I DON'T want my card online is for SAFETY. I'm TOTALLY done with Barnes and Noble. I'll have to find a way to use my gift card by buying real books, now - or something else. I'm done with them.

I went into the store at 7026 Hwy 6, Houston, TX 77095 at around 3:40 pm on 2-10-17. I'm not much of a book reader but my youngest is in National Guard basic training and was told that we could send him books about the military. Well I thought about a book that I read back in the 80's which is called Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy. I saw a three people working behind the counter that is located in the center of the store and I figured I would ask for help.

As I walked up I could see they were in a conversation and I didn't want to interrupt so I waited to be acknowledged and your associate named Alex asked if he could help me. I then asked about the book and he just said fiction under Clancy which would have been fine but I didn't know the layout of the store and it seemed rude how he looked at me then just made the statement about where the books would be located. The other female associate took me but made it clear where fiction was and the Clancy books were located.

Your associates seemed very rude and not wanting to help and I really hope it wasn't the color of my skin that made them act that way or they could be overworked but what really got me is your employee Alex was laughing it up with another customer at the front of the business after I made my purchase. Your store only had one book that I was looking for and I went over to Half Price Books and they were very friendly and helpful and after walking in from being upset from your store. I go to Home Depot a lot and they have an app that you can download that shows you where you can find what you're looking for in their store. Maybe you could look into the same type of system that will help your customers from speaking to rude people.

I ordered the textbook Focus on Personal Finance with Access Card from Barnes and Noble the same day as I ordered a rental textbook from Chegg. My Chegg book came 3 days earlier than my Barnes and Noble book. When my book did finally arrive it had no access card... I looked through the package and didn't find it. I called customer service and the representative explained that somewhere in the terms and conditions it states that rental textbooks are not guaranteed to come with any "extras" and that I had in fact checked the box that stated I read and agreed to the terms.

When I explained that the title of the book is extremely misleading since it actually says on my packing slip Focus on Personal Finance with Access Card, I was expecting an access card. She just repeated herself until I asked for a supervisor who repeated the same thing until I asked for a manager who then repeated the same thing. He sent me a return label and states that I won't be charged the restock fee once I return the book for a refund. We will see. Overall I don't want to do business with Barnes and Noble ever again. Their product description is misleading and their customer service is a joke.

My 10 year old daughter received a birthday gift... a board game. It is for 12 and up and a little over her head so we decided to return it. We live in a rural area and went to Walmart, Kmart, Target, some of the local toy stores. No one carried this game. Finally went to the very "uppity" Barnes and Noble in town. Yes they carried it but wouldn't accept the return for a store credit because we didn't have a receipt. Yeah it was a gift and I feel it is rude to ask the person for the receipt. Walmart, Target etc don't require a receipt. I just wanted to get her something else... I didn't want cash. They are the only store in the area that carries this... of course it was purchased there.

I called their customer service line and besides none of them being able to understand English efficiently, they also said they wouldn't take it back. I can't believe in the day and age of Amazon... where customer service is tops that this company can afford to be so tight with their policies. Seems I am not the only one who thinks this... the complaints on this board are unbelievable. The sooner Amazon comes and gobbles this company up... the better.

Barnes & Noble Company Profile