1.35/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

591 Barnes & Noble Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I ordered a DVD as a present on Nov. 24th, sent via 2-3 day service. I ordered it when I did because the half-off Criterion sale was about to end. The next day, I received an email saying the package had been shipped via UPS Mail Innovations with a tracking number. Several days pass, with no updating on the tracking number, only this message: "Delivery information is not yet available from the carrier. Alternatively, the delivery details provided are incorrect." 11 days go by. No tracking update, no package. I call UPS, they've no record of the number. I call B&N, they say it was never sent by UPS, though their emails to me state otherwise. I had to call back twice to get a refund, because the first time their customer rep in India couldn't even get that right. 5 hours on the phone to get constant contradictions from every rep I talked to... I finally got my full refund after several hours on hold, and 3 days of callbacks.

Fast forward, December 11th: I come home to find the DVD on my doorstep, SEVENTEEN DAYS later. Terrible service, inept customer reps who have never even seen a B&N store in person, reading stock scripts to angry customers. No more... They lost a customer of 20 years with this little charade, and I'll keep the extra copy of the DVD they botched the order on for myself since I ended up ordering one from Amazon, which I was trying to avoid. Next time, I'll order straight from Criterion. Goodbye, Barnes & Noble.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I ordered a DVD from them and after it had not arrived a week after expected I contacted the company using the online chat. I explained that my package was never delivered and they said according to their records it was shipped and may have been lost in the process. I assume it was stolen off my front porch as it is Christmas time. The representative promptly offered to replace my item at no charge. I appreciated their flexibility and am very pleased with the experience. I will continue to order from them for years to come.

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I returned a Harry Potter box set to the store. The manager issued a return on my debit card. I check my bank the next day and the credit isn't there. I call the manager and he puts in a call to corporate. The manager calls back 6 hours later and told me I now have to wait till Monday to see why I wasn't issued my money. I call the 1800 number and customer service tells me it can take anywhere from 2 days to onwards of "whenever". I told her NOWHERE on the receipt or on Barnes & Noble website does it specify I won't be credited until 2 or more business days. She proceeds to tell me it's my bank that's holding the money.

So I call Chase and she said there has been nothing received from Barnes & Noble. Chase is giving me temporary credit as we processed a claim through the fraud department. Chase asked if there was any more they could do for me and I told the CSR "Yes... Don't buy from B&N! Use Amazon instead!" Her reply... "Well I had a huge problem with my own return and I'll never shop there again!" So I don't see B&N surviving much longer with companies such as Amazon as they are cheaper, customer service is better and all transactions are immediately debited and credited and their return policy... well, they have a great return policy. Bye Bye B&N. Us consumers have Amazon that treats us better and doesn't commit fraud.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I ordered two books online as Christmas gifts and paid extra for express shipping to have them delivered in 2-3 business days. 20 minutes after placing my order I received notification that my order for one book will not be delivered for 15 days and 5 days later for another. I called customer service to have my order cancelled since those dates would not work and I paid extra to have them here in a timely manner. Customer service said they can't cancel the order or change it anyway. Very frustrating! I will never order from them again! Also, allow an extra day or 2 for processing on time of the days for shipment.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Just go to the B & N website, imagine that you have an issue with your purchase (because you will!!). Try the "Help" button on their site or maybe try the one labeled "Customer service" - both take you to an error message that is laughingly marked "bad request"! So there are no avenues on the website (believe me I have clicked on everything) to get online customer service. I have now paid for a $1500 collectible book that was sent to Utah (I live in WI). No worries - I used my Discover card to pay for it and they will get my money back - because that is a company that knows that customer service isn't a bad request!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barnes and Noble?

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I ordered the Lego Friendship Hotel on November 24 for my granddaughter in Texas. I needed her to receive this by December 2, eight days later. There was no indication that they did not have this in stock and that they could not ship it within a day. On November 26, I received an email stating that the order had shipped a free accessory toy but not the Lego set. On December 1, I received an email that the availability of the order had changed unexpectedly. On the late afternoon of December 2, I had a message chat with Barnes and Noble in which their person stated that they had the item in the warehouse and it should be shipped soon.

On Monday December 3, I called the service department who was able to check the warehouse inventory and found that they did not have the item. So it was clear that they did not know when they would have this Lego set. I told the person in the service department that I needed my daughter to get gift by the next day and I would go elsewhere. I asked to cancel my order and she was polite and complied. As a retailer in a competitive marketplace, Barnes and Noble did a lousy job of keeping me informed that they could not ship my gift and actually lied to me. I will never again order a toy from Barnes and Noble.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Was sold a membership and was not told anything about it. I was not told it was a yearly membership fee but that it was a lifetime. Was not told they automatically take money out of your account because it was supposedly a lifetime. If I had known all this I would have never purchased this membership. I don't even know what the membership offered because I was never sent anything about the membership.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

I ordered a book and paid the extra cost for express delivery to get it promised by "Nov 20". By Nov. 26 I had neither a book nor any information except the entry "processing" till on their tracking page. Compare to a recent delivery by Amazon which I could track almost down to the hour. Note that their order number is not recognized under all browsers (poor webpage design).

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

After order a LEGO set over two weeks ago, Barnes & Noble still has yet to “process” my order. It was suppose to be delivered on November 20, according to their website, yet at the same time it stated “processing”, with no indication of when or if this item would be restocked. When I emailed the company they responded stating “Despite our efforts, we are unable to ship the item "LEGO The Batman Movie The Scuttler" from your order in the expected timeframe.” The email further states to reply to the email and the order will be cancelled: ”If you would like to cancel this item on your order, you may do so by accessing your Order Status online or by responding to this email.” These are both quotes from their email to me.

So, when I responded requesting cancellation as this item was for a gift I received the following from the company “Once an order has started our fulfillment process, it cannot be cancelled nor are we able to cancel an item from the order. If you received your order and not satisfied, we can send you a label to return the unwanted item. We apologize for the inconvenience this my have caused. Sincerely, Mechelle (11/23/2018 08:51PM).”

This directly contradict their previous email and it is clear the person who responded did not take the time nor effort to even understand the issue- as the order has NOT BEEN FULFILLED, nor is there any indication it will be. So rather than refund my money and cancel as the item is out of stock (as per their website) they have held on to my payment and REFUSE to return my money!!! The legality and ethics of this are highly circumspect and questionable. How is acceptable to take a customers money and deliver no product? In New York State that is fraud!!!

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

On October 27, I went online to look for the Funko Harry Potter Advent calendar. After viewing several stores I found the B&N had it about $5 cheaper than the other retailers. I DECIDED to pre-order this product as I knew it would sell out fast. I place two of the calendars in my cart after viewing the listing, it said the calendars would be released on 11/01 and customers would have by 11/07, I paid my total and went to sleep. 11/07 came and went. No email, no order, no nothing. I went to the website and there was no record of my order. I tried to email. I tried to live chat. I tried to search my order. Nothing works! I then went to Facebook and hit message to talk to a live person. This guy knew nothing and had no care in the world as to why I hadn't received my order.

Next I called B&N. The guy on the line told me, "Oh, the warehouse is shipping today." Oh ok great, not. Still 2 days later no tracking, no shipped email, nothing! I called yesterday and was told more lies. The Christmas calendar would be sent to me now by 12/9, bear in mind this is an Advent calendar. I wasn't happy but ok better late than never. I woke up this morning to an email they canceled my entire order!! Now I can't even order of find the calendars anywhere else. I called and talked to some supposed manager, he just told me too bad, nothing they can do!! This is the worst customer service I have ever received. This company should be ashamed of themselves. Sadly thanks to give I won't be able to get the Harry Potter Funko calendar, but best advise - I will never spend another cent in that or online. Terrible!!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I enjoy going to B&N to find a new book. Something about sifting through the selection to find just the right one. The only issue is that sometimes if I look on Amazon the books are cheaper. It will be sad if books stores disappear someday.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

I ordered my first book online and it ended up being a Nook book by mistake. I called the customer service department and they did refund me my money and I ordered a hardback book but the free shipping was gone so that added for 99 to my order. Originally the phone was disconnected and I had to call back and it took another 20 minutes to get the refund to get the order correct. I ended up paying over $29 for the book to avoid Amazon. I should have stuck with Amazon for less than $19 with free shipping. Won't happen again.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

I teach Adult English as a Second Language and I usually have my students purchase their books on-line from Barnes and Noble. My students have purchased over a $1000+ worth of books for my classes in the last two years. Sometimes, I also buy books for students who have no credit card. Yesterday, I placed an order for five sets of Ventures Level 1 books. The price came out to a mere $166.00 I paid an extra $10 out of my own pocket to have the books delivered within 2-3 business days. Barnes and Noble then sends me an e-mail stating that the books would arrive a week later.

I call Barnes and Noble and the company representative said the website had the wrong information posted. I then call again and ask to speak with a manager who decides to only refund my shipping since the books were not arriving within 2-3 days as stated on their website. He also told me that he could not cancel the shipment. I proceeded to tell him I was canceling my order. He also told me that I could not receive a refund until I had either refused the shipment or returned the books. I go on their website again to research their return policies. It seems like I might have to pay for the return.

Moreover, if I were to take the books back to a Barnes and Noble store, they would not accept them, although on their website it tells us a different story. I will never again buy on-line from this disorganized company; furthermore, I will from now on instruct my students to make their purchases from somewhere else. I have already called my bank and had them cancel this payment. From now on, I am purchasing from Amazon.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

After updating my computer to Windows 10 I was unable to download library books. Called for tech support - their support is out of the US. Some people I could not understand and others were just useless. Called corporate, receptionist very helpful but no technical support. Some head technician stateside sent me written instructions which of course I tried before, by self and with the Philippines "support." Nothing works. Junking the Nook and purchasing a Kindle. It should be noted that I have been using a Nook since they first came out. B&N you lost a customer and advise all of you to avoid the Nook at all costs.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I made a purchase on 10/19/18 of $31.05 and it showed it pending. It processed on 10/23/18 and I saw that it was still holding the $31.05 dated 10/19/18. I called and was told that regardless of when they receive the payment, their system doesn't release the held funds for 3 to 5 business days from when the order was made. Why they feel the need to tie up money that does not belong to them is beyond me. I have made many online purchases and have never encountered a company that continues to hold funds after payment is processed. The pending should automatically fall off like any other business. Not everyone can afford to have $31.05 tied up after already being charged it on their account.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

Hello, I have had multiple issues with this store (# 2806). My order for two books order number ** for a book placed on 10/1/2018. I clearly went to the store asked the individual to place a late pickup note in the customer comments section. I was showed the data entry on screen by the customer zero representative! Shocked when I went in to pick up my books on 10/17/2018 to find the store not holding my books as requested! As shown by the customer service representative! They reshelved the items! This caused major confusion with the cashier staff! Added to my wait time and could have possibly forced me to reorder! After clearly going and explaining I needed more time to pick up my order, I was honestly not shocked to find my instructions ignored.

This store can NOT preorder a book before its release date without canceling or never ordering the book! I have had that issue crop up so much at this location it’s hard to keep attempting to support a clearly broken system. I will attach my orders and the recite to this review. A new issue today was with a assistant manager named Michael. On 10/18/2018 I went to this High Point Location to use the WiFi and cafe. I was unable to access the WiFi with my iPhone 7 and iPad Air 2. I spoke with Michael who claimed assistant manager level about this issue. Both my devices could see the network but neither could reach the login portal! He was unhelpful here. Stated there was no IT department and after checking and confirming my order moved on quickly and rudely.

I did Reset my network settings on both devices and then did a all setting reset. I was still unable to use this location’s WiFi due to the missing login portal! Went up the street where I could access two other free wifi’s. I returned to the store later today to find I Still could not access the WiFi! Michael is unhelpful and slightly condescending to customers. Please be aware. I was able to confirm others could use the store's WiFi just not me! Odd seeing as I have had past issues with this store!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

My girlfriend and I have lived in Sarasota for a number of years, and one of our favorite places to visit has been (until recently) our local Barnes & Noble. We would do almost all of our book business with them (we are also B&N Members). The associates were always very friendly and helpful, but the same could not be said of the management. A number of times over the years we've had to speak with them, and they've always been curt and a little condescending. I'm not a guy that's easily offended, but our last visit was enough for both us.

So last Saturday we walked in, around 3:00 pm, to a mostly empty store and started looking around at the new books. I soon bought one as my girlfriend continued to browse. She then came to the clearance section where she found a Disney Polystone collectible. She was excited by the lower price and called me over. It was packaged, but not sealed, so we asked if we could look it over first. Two supervisors were talking near the register, and seemed bothered by our asking to take it out, but they did so.

The collectible, to our disappointment, had obviously been opened before, because there was some damage and white paint that had dried down the backside. We asked them if it was supposed to be new or an old display piece (hence the clearance price and damage) and one of the two gave us this nasty look and tone claiming it was new. She became loud and annoyed and repeated herself once more, making it clear in so many words that the price was not changing despite the condition, even though I never asked. Then the second woman added "you could always wait for it to go down to $2 and paint it yourself", with a look that only reinforced the attitude of the first woman.

Recognizing the hostility for what it was, I put the item down and said "no thanks". My girlfriend is not a confrontational person, but she was very disappointed by the way we were treated. Both of us are easy-going, and understand that the workplace is stressful and frustrating at times. But she was upset enough that she put her other items back on the shelves, refusing to purchase anything. I then went back to the register and asked to return the book I had just purchased.

We started to leave, but I approached the first manager once more.

Without raising my voice I said, "because you don't value those who shop with you, you've just lost two long-time, loyal customers." We left without a fuss and have no plans to return anytime soon. She and I both understand that the management at this location shouldn't reflect on B&N as a whole, but there are at least three middle-aged managers at the Sarasota location that have given us a lot of grief over very simple things, and we're just moving on. There are plenty of other booksellers available.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

Despite claims all over the place that they back up 3rd party vendors, when one of the crooks they host on their site runs off with your cash, all of a sudden B&N "can't do anything" and won't refund your purchase. Absolute, lying **.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

B&N has been blasting me with requests to use their reliable online ordering system and touting their high rate of customer satisfaction, but the third party sellers they are working through apparently don't share their enthusiasm for excellence, and I'd say their wooden national service department isn't really feeling it either. The B&N call center folks were polite enough in a workmanlike way, but passed the buck on the first call and simply canceled my order after I made a second call following the failures of the third party seller to contact me or provide any information whatsoever.

My local store was much more helpful in ordering the book from B&N's own warehouse. It'll arrive faster, apparently, and at about the same cost, factoring some pricey shipping from this shady third party in my original attempt to find this book (some online reviews mention serious credit issues from this company, Alibris, which sketches me out - perhaps Amoralis would be a better name). B&N, if you want a good reputation, be careful who you surround yourself with. >:( I don't want to support Amazon's vampiric business practices, but seriously doubt I'll order books online through Barnes and Noble again.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Just an FYI- I just learned Barnes and Noble will NOT honor lower prices found on their own website if you’re buying something in store. I left my item at the counter, went home and ordered the book from Amazon, and saved myself $6.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Ordered a magazine through Barnes and Noble's website. Never received the magazine and when customer service at Barnes and Noble was contacted, was informed that Barnes and Noble will not follow up on this issue since they outsource these types of sales to a third party. No refund and no magazine.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

Ordered a book only to discover they never offered the newest edition. When I tried to reach them from their site the phone was out of service, text same, and option of setting up account to email them was "not available". There were no other options. I will not ever buy from them in-store or online. They do not care about customers.

Original review: July 30, 2018

I've avoided shopping at Barnes & Noble for years due to their policies and prices. Today I found a great deal on a book I was looking to purchase, with the list price of $50 online in "Other Format" 30% of the original price, $72. Deciding against my better judgment, I went to purchase the book in store, because I believe it is better to continue to promote store locations rather than online prices. However, once at the register I was told it was the original price, $72, and the discounted price only applies to online purchases, whether it be in store pickup or delivery. Since there was no way to discern the real price on the website this seems like illegal and shady behavior that the company is doing to promote online purchases and put their on-demand locations out of business.

Original review: July 20, 2018

Barnes & Noble has always been a great place to just walk around and look for books. However, I've had my issues with the company over the years, chiefly an experience in high school wherein I never received a book I ordered and spent a lot of phone calls and time getting a refund. Today, with all of that behind me, I visited Barnes & Noble again. Great layout and selection. I finally found a book I wanted to purchase. It was a bit pricey, so I downloaded the B&N app to see if there were any coupons. Tip: join their e-mail list two days before you visit because the 15% sign-up offer is not immediately available.

Instead of a coupon, I found the book I was purchasing and discovered that it was $5 cheaper online. There was also an option to purchase the book for the cheaper price and have it prepared for me in-store within an hour. I decided to attempt to price match at the register, but I was told that only members of the B&N club, who pay $25 annually for membership, could price match. I will note again that this is a Barnes & Noble store that can't price match with the Barnes & Noble website. I don't blame the employees in any way; I blame the policy. I returned the book not even a half hour later. When I got home, I found it for $11 cheaper on Amazon with free two-day shipping. I didn't want to be one of those people who denounces a known bookseller in favor of Amazon, but that seems to be the takeaway here. And to think, I would have bought the book at Amazon without even a second thought. If only they had let me price match!

Original review: July 19, 2018

I own a NOOK HD. Very well used. After I got my laptop I installed the NOOK app on it using the Microsoft store with Chrome. It was wonderful - if I read a book on my NOOK I could go to my LT NOOK and it would get me right to the same page. Then I made a mistake and uninstalled it and then reinstalled it. The support from B&N is terrible. I have been trying to correct this problem, but it is useless. Their customer support is worthless. I can get my NOOK books if I use Microsoft Edge, but not Chrome and B&N doesn't care. I really like NOOK on Chrome, but if they can't figure it out how can I. Sorry but B&N doesn't care about their customers.

Resolution response: July 3, 2018

Follow up to last posting. Decided to take my returns to a local Barnes and Noble since the help center was useless. Walked into the Fairlawn Ohio store and went to the info desk. Told the clerk what I needed and he said, "No problem. There is a 30 day return policy on book purchases. Just go up to the cashier counter and they will take care of you." So I grab some new books to exchange for the ones I already had and went to the cashier. She return the books I brought back and rang up the new ones and I paid the difference (new books were a little more money). Cashier was very nice and didn't have an issue with me returning books I purchased at a different Barnes and Noble. I walked out of the store with my new purchase and was very happy. In conclusion don't waste time with the 800 number service desk. Just go to a store direct and they will take care of you.

Original review: June 27, 2018

I recently went on vacation to Oklahoma to visit family and ended up visiting a local Barnes and Noble Book Store. I purchased a series of books and spend over $100 dollars. I continued to travel and got back home about 2 weeks later. I realized when I got home that the books I purchased were duplicates of ones I already have in my possession. I reached out to Barnes and Noble to see about returning them for a gift card or store credit, but all I got back was, "Sorry. You are past the 14 day return policy." They have refused to help me.

Original review: June 25, 2018

I received a gift card for this bookstore as a gift. I had never used their services because I have used Kindle for years. So, I attempted to order a book and could not get it to appear as a download. I went into my settings and fiddled around and finally got it to download. It appears that if you don't give them an alternate payment method your orders will not appear in the app. I, again, today attempted to download two books and, again, I ran into problems. I chose for the books to be downloaded into the app, and when I received the confirmation it showed the paperback as the order. It seems for some reason it defaulted to the paperback.

So, again, I went into the site to find out how to cancel the book. Well, guess what? Once ordered, a book cannot be cancelled even though they give you a 15 minute window to do so. It took me 15 minutes to figure out what to do. I contacted customer service and was given a free UPS return label. I still have nearly $30 left on the gift card and they can just keep it!!! I will not put myself through this kind of frustration to order a book. Thank God for Amazon and Kindle!!!

Original review: May 27, 2018

Compared to Amazon, BN has become far too slow and incompetent. They have incorrect information on their website for some of the listings. I accidentally bought a book written in Arabic (even though title and description were written in English, and there was no notification that the book was translated). When I contacted customer service, "Kristel" told me that they would refund the book but that it would be a "one-time courtesy" since Nook books aren't refundable. That was the first strike.

She informed me a full refund would be put back onto my gift card. I checked the next day, and they refunded $0.78 of the $5.99. I contacted them again to check and see if I missed something, and after 20 minutes of "Kristel" checking into it again, she told me that she'd have to send the request over to the "Gift Card Department," which would take 2-3 days... No. This is unacceptable in today's marketplace. I run a marketing agency, which means I follow the trends of buyer behavior. This kind of thing will take a big business down almost overnight. Customer service is vital, convenience even more so.

Original review: May 21, 2018

I am extremely upset with these services. I rented a textbook from Barnes & Noble (and several other companies) as well as purchased textbooks. I never received notification that my rental from Barnes & Noble was due and so they continually charged my card (without notifying me) until my card was expired and then decided to notify me because they couldn't take my money anymore. I responded to that email and never heard back from anyone and now I am getting calls from collections. I called Barnes & Noble today and their worker was not helpful in the least bit and I am extremely ticked off. I have never been late on returning textbooks and because of their failure to notify me I am having to deal with this crap!!! Way to take advantage of broke college students. I will never be purchasing books from this company again.

Original review: May 16, 2018

I received an email from Barnes & Noble confirming a purchase that I had not made, but was being billed for. The email included the title of a book, and the name and address of someone I did not know who had ordered it. I immediately called my bank and canceled my credit card. Barnes & Noble's contact number was not available in the evening when I received the email. But when I called in the morning, they instructed me to change my Barnes & Noble account password. If someone had just stolen my credit card number, they would have used it without going through my Barnes & Noble account. Either Barnes & Noble used my personal account to pay for someone else's order in error, or they experienced a data breach. Regardless of what occurred, I had to cancel my credit card as a result.

Barnes & Noble Company Information