2. Shopping

Barnes & Noble

4.0/5 (816 ratings)

About Barnes & Noble

Barnes & Noble Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barnes & Noble?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barnes and Noble?

Original review: Dec. 19, 2020

On November 22, 2020 I went online and purchased a Nook Glowlight Plus and a Kate Spade case for it. I got it for my mom for her birthday. Within 5 days of my purchase, it went on sale for $50 off. So I attempted to contact customer service to find out if there was any way to possibly get a credit. The text chat is a joke. Clearly it's a bot. I say that because the responses did not in any way reflect my questions. So I went through the maze of FAQs and finally found an answer to my question. The answer is NO. I cannot. Okay fine.. It's for my mom so I won't worry about it. Whatever.

Now it gets worse. I got the package and set up the Nook for my mom and boxed it up to send to her. When she got it, she was really excited and immediately went to put it in the beautiful Kate Spade case. She called me and told me the case doesn't fit. It was in the correct box, but the item inside was switched. Great. Now I try the customer service phone number and wait on hold for 15 minutes before someone comes on. This would have been way easier if I had been able to email customer service. Then I don't wait on hold growing increasingly frustrated. And someone can respond to my email and there is a trail. But like so many other companies Barnes and Noble did away with this. I don't understand why, it's a perfect work from home job. It's also far more efficient than having customers wait on hold just before you send them to another extension for them to wait on hold to explain all over again. This is exactly what happened.

I explained what happened with the case and also let the lady know there was no way for me to get the case back. I asked if I could get an extra discount on a new one or at least get delivery waived. She explained that it was an issue with the Nook and she would have to transfer me to another department. I explained that there was no issue with the Nook and that it was a delivery issue. She said that since it involved the Nook, she had to transfer me. So she did and I waited for another 10 minutes before giving up.

My mom is 80 and loves her Nook. But because it's so thin it's hard for her to hold without the case. So I went online and bought a new case and paid for the delivery. They stopped carrying Nook in the store near where I live so I had to go online. Barnes and noble like so many other companies has unfortunately become another store to add to the list of companies with the worst customer service. That was the last purchase I will ever make with them. Books a Million is way better. I wasn't asking for a full refund. Also even if I had been able to return the case to them, they wouldn't have taken it back because the item didn't match the package. I would have been the one accused of switching it. Besides my my is on lockdown in her building because of covid. So she cannot get out to mail the package. I gave bought several Nooks and Nook Tablets from Barnes and noble. Never again.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2020

I’m posting this review on every public site I can find to get Barnes & Noble Press’s attention. I ordered 30 copies of a personal book on Nov. 19. I received the 30 copies on Dec. 2. One of the copies was damaged. I took pictures of the damaged book and emailed their customer service on Dec. 2 and said I wanted a replacement copy. They replied on Dec. 3 and said they would send me a replacement copy.

I work in publishing. If one of our customers receives a damaged book, we have a replacement printed and shipped the next day. Barnes & Noble Press apparently doesn’t have the same standard for both quality of their products and quality of their customer service. I next emailed customer service on Dec. 8 and asked them to send me the tracking number for the replacement copy. Their reply was “your replacement order has not shipped yet.” They did not say why it was delayed or when I would receive it. I emailed them a third time on Dec. 12. I did not receive a reply.

On Dec. 15 I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, which they have ignored. I also emailed them a fourth time on Dec. 15 and told them I filed the complaint. They replied on the 16th and said “We are working on the replacement to have the book sent as soon as possible.” Again, they did not say when I would get the replacement.

All of the previous emails were signed from a customer service representative. Today, Dec. 17 I received an unsigned email that said “I am sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction, and I would like to take this opportunity to address your concerns. We understand that your order arrived damaged therefore, we are doing all that we can to get you a replacement copy printed and shipped out as soon as possible.” They are still not saying when I will get the replacement.

They sent damaged goods, and they need to send a replacement NOW. Telling a customer you’re going to fix the problem, while you’re actually doing nothing, is abhorrently terrible customer service. It has been over two weeks. I can have 5,000 copies of a full-color 100-page magazine printed in that time. Yet they can’t handle digitally printing one 46-page book. Again, as someone who working in the publishing industry, I can say without a doubt that there is absolutely no excuse for this outrageous delay. I do not recommend their services. After this experience, I will also never shop at a Barnes & Noble bookstore again. I don’t want to give any of my business to a company that ignores its customers and shirks it responsibility to those same customers.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2020

B&N not providing SERVICE. No access to purchased products with their cyber attack. Now again preordered books that have been released can't be downloaded. No msg as to why. What's the problem this time,?

Original review: Oct. 28, 2020

I walked into a B&N and purchased 60 items to be sent to my home. I was charged IMMEDIATELY. Then I get a note 12 hours later in my email saying, "you didn't pass our verification process and we aren't delivering your product". No clue what I didn't "pass". I paid. You'd think if you paid, you'd get your product. I have now waited 60 + days for a refund. I have called and spent over 5 HOURS on the phone with customer service and the store that took my credit card number and charged me. I got another "wait 5-7 business days and see if the money is refunded to your credit card". I paid almost $300 and I have no product (that I needed for a birthday party that has long passed) and NO REFUND. So you can take my money right away but can't process a refund?! Barnes & Noble will never receive another dime from me or my family.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2020

660 books on cloud. They updated their service. I have had no ability to use my nook devices for 4 weeks now. Multiple calls only say we are working on it. I will not spend one more penny on Barnes and Noble.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2020

Paid extra for gift wrap and for a card with a note with expensive book purchase for a special friend. Little or no attention was paid to gift card; the requested note on the gift card was offset and illegible, and therefore not usable. Product was easy to order, shipping time was great, but trying to get in touch with B&N to resolve the gift card was a nightmare, and is still unresolved. I cannot recommend spending extra for wrap and card or trying to reach B&N customer service online. There was 45-minute wait to call customer service; one has to open an account to reach them by email online.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2020

If you want to buy a book Barnes and Noble is fine. If, however, you need to return an item as we did with a Nook because we can't use it without WiFi, think again. All I wanted to do was return this item, just as I do on Amazon, and it was a nightmare. It has taken three days and I don't know how many phone calls. In the end we are paying for postage and shipping it registered mail. This experience was like trying to steal gold from Fort Knox. It's not the people so much and it is the system. Stick with Amazon.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2020

Like many people, I have waited YEARS for midnight sun to be written and sold. So on May 6th 2020 I pre-ordered the book as soon as I found out she finished it. Today is August 12, 2020 and I was suppose to receive the masterpiece 3 days ago. I go online to check the status and it said that the book was sold out and I would receive mine after they got more. I pre-ordered it! Months ago! I was so upset, I emailed the company, and a few hours later I get on to check the status again and now it says I can't see it because I never ordered the book. I check my bank account from May and turns out they never charged me (even though I checked right after purchasing it, it was pending and I had plenty in the account).

Now this was definitely partly my fault as I didn't make sure it went through but I've never had a problem like this and I did not find it necessary to check my bank more than the once because barns and noble sent me a confirmation email that said I purchased it! They did not send me a cancellation email, or anything of the sort. So I had no clue that they cancelled my order. So I ordered a new book from Amazon for half the price. This is why Barnes and Noble is going out of business, I was trying to support them but what a waste of time. Oh, and I never heard back from the company from my email, and I had tried calling several times and spent a long time on hold before I gave up. I'm not going to sit on the phone for 30 minutes to talk to someone that's just ridiculous.

Original review: July 31, 2020

If you order any book from them and give an honest review on it, they don't seem to like it. Whatever happened to Freedom of Speech? My review about that book was written by a "medical professional" who's telling people in this book that it's okay to take showers without soap. I completely disagreed with this "medical professional's" advice (and I'm also in the medical field too, I'm an LPN) and even wondered what kind of person would tell other people that, especially in this age of Covid-19.

So I expressed my concerns on their review section on their website, and they sent me an email saying that they didn't publish my review because I was in violation of their terms and conditions for posting comments on their website, although I never said anything derogatory about the author of the book (except did they get their medical license from the back of a cereal box, which is a harmless statement). I basically compared this book telling people not to use soap when they take a shower to telling children to go ahead and eat those laundry detergent pods. Apparently, Barnes and Noble hated that but WELCOMED me to write other reviews on their site. I guess as long as you don't tell the truth, they'll publish it.

Original review: July 24, 2020

I ordered books on July 2. As of July 24, they have not arrived. I got the order numbers from my receipt and typed the order numbers into my account. They no longer show up in my order list. They lost the orders. I can get the same books from Amazon within a week, with no problems, because Amazon doesn't lose orders. I can understand why B&N is going out of business. "B&N" must stand for "BROKE AND NO GOOD." I have had many bad experiences with BROKE AND NO GOOD in the past of a similar kind. I will never order from them again.

Original review: July 9, 2020

Don't sign up for automatic renewals! If you aren't using the membership you'll still be charged without a renewal reminder letter or email. LOL — have been put on hold 25 minutes ago by a supervisor... Guess this is Barnes & Noble's brand of "customer" service!

Original review: June 23, 2020

I made the mistake of buying three nook books online. When the books arrived two of them were in German. I have been trying very hard for the past week to correct this problem. Going to their store did not work. I tried to call them many times but to no avail. They are hiding under the covid-19 for not being able to keep enough staff. I now understand why they are going under. This is why such businesses fail. They are super fast getting your money but when it comes to give you service they cannot be reached. I strongly recommend against anybody dealing with them.

Original review: June 11, 2020

This is pretty much my last straw. Look, I’m a forgiving person. Delays of 1, 2,3,4,5,6,7 days... ok. But when a company is MONTHS late and has no recourse to cancel an order they need to be sued. Unethical and disgusting greedy slime. Chat is disabled. Emails bounce back as u deliverable. Broken links in emails leading to never ending loop on website. Calling? HA! I waited 30 min on hold only to get someone who didn’t speak English, contradicted herself and ultimately said it was a “bad connection”. Click. I’ll fight you greedy corporate pigs for every dime you charge me for merchandise I never got because you do this every time.

Original review: June 10, 2020

My 86 year old mother has had 2 previous NOOK readers from Barnes & Noble. In April NOOK #2 dies. I went online and purchased an early Mother's Day gift of the newest NOOK product. My mother had difficulty transferring information from the old unit to the new one. Due to COVID 19 the local store was closed. She waited patiently for almost two months to get help from an associate.

Today, June 8, 2020 she takes the new unit, in the original box, to the store. The associate at the Pensacola, FL location refused to touch the unit due to the virus. It is a hard surface. The CDC has said that COVID 19 does not live well in hard surfaces. If you are concerned wipe it down. Don't give an 86 year old woman a phone number and "gee sorry".

The unit cost me almost $200 and all my mother has is a phone number and nothing to read. She will have to get someone to help her with calling and setting things up. Shame on your associate and shame on management for not training their employees how to show a bit of compassion. Barnes and Noble has gotten their last dollar out of me.

Spencer **

Cape Canaveral, FL

Original review: May 22, 2020

We enjoy bookstores, but whenever we've ordered or pre-ordered books or merchandise we have problems. We ordered Christmas gifts and got emails about delay, delay, delay -- then an abrupt "we cancelled your order." We did NOT get a full refund for items they cancelled! We pre-ordered the new Hunger Games book because someone gave us a gift card. Same story: delay, shipping delay, shipper has given up, BUT nobody has fixed the issue, tried to start a new shipment, or refunded the order -- 5 business days after the date it should have ARRIVED (8 days after shipping started - it is lost). I've been on the phone for over 30 minutes with no help, and likely won't get it resolved AGAIN (or they will "forget" to give us all our refund, like last time, and since you have to wait for an email, it takes a new phone call -- an hour or more -- to get the rest of the money).

Please don't buy your friends and families gift cards unless you think they will go to a store and leave with products in their hands. If you can't leave with an item in your hands, then I hope you get all your items shipped to you, because otherwise it is a part-time job to get "customer service" from this company. While other businesses have tried to do a better job with COVID-19, B&N has used it as an excuse to carry on the same, poor, slow, sloppy, incomplete "customer service" that they always had. Now they can wave the virus excuse around and pretend it is the cause. Nope!

I can't wait to dump these gift cards and shop elsewhere where I won't get the runaround and incomplete refunds. Mistakes are OK, but lies on delays (when in fact they never had the product), lack of trying to help without me spending 1-2 hours on the phone for their mistakes, and incomplete refunds after I've spend a couple of hours on the phone are just not OK. Please don't buy a gift card & torture someone you care about!

Original review: May 14, 2020

Do these people know what they're doing? I recently attempted to purchase a B&N gift card. Two weeks later it still had not arrived. I tried again. After ten minutes on the phone B&N still did not have all the info it needed. I gave up.

Resolution response: April 29, 2020

The company located the merchandise and has shipped it. I received it today.

Original review: April 25, 2020

Unbelievable the nightmare I'm going through with this company. I ordered 6 books March 31 2020 and received an EDD of April 14 2020. That date passed and they sent another EDD date April 21 2020 and guess what another EDD date of April 23 2020. I sent 2 emails to Mr. Daunt the CEO and first response was that he would look into it. I contacted customer service 3 times and was told the books are there and ready for shipment the past 2 weeks. I was told they twice sent a request to the warehouse manager to release books for shipment that was April 21 2020. I requested cancellation as the EDD has past and their system only showed that date though I received an April 23 2020 EDD. I was told by 2 supervisors that I could not cancel because the books are in queue in the warehouse again.

I called April 24 2020 and talked to customer service rep who sent another release the shipment request to the warehouse manager. I was told if I still didn't receive shipping status to call back in 3 business days using the reference number they gave me. I again sent the CEO another email with the order number and a snapshot of the status all showing processing shipment which it has been for 2 weeks. I received no response from him I have been a member for a long time and this truly is terrible to be treated like this I filed a dispute against them to refund my money which they stated they couldn't. Waiting results of the dispute from 3rd party. I will no longer be subjected to this kind of stress with a company who clearly has no desire for customer satisfaction. I will be cancelling my membership and ordering from now on through Amazon.

Original review: April 21, 2020

I only shop here so Barnes and Noble stays in business as its competitor, Amazon takes over the world. However, I am definitely picking Amazon from now on. I ordered some books and 2 candles. The candles came in broken and in huge chunks. It was a mess. I went to email customer service to let them know. Barnes and Noble does not have a customer service email address. I went to do a live chat next. That feature is also inactive. My only option is to call.

I sat on hold yesterday for 25 minutes, then finally hung up. I called again at 8:30, they said they were not taking any more callers. Even though they say they are open until 9pm EST. I am currently sitting on hold for the third time. I am at minute 40 with no answer, and I have not been updated on any kind of wait time. This is awful. Get with the times, B & N. Provide an email address or some kind of chat. We are past the era of sitting on hold for hours at a time. This is the last time I will shop here. I hope Amazon shuts them down. :)

Original review: April 1, 2020

I have had the worst time trying to order from B & N. First I signed up for the newsletter to get 10% off. I never got the discount code emailed to me. After calling the customer service line three separate times and being told it would be emailed immediately I finally got the code sent on the third call. Then I used to the code and scheduled a pick up only to discover my order had been canceled when I was on my way to B & N to pick up. Then I tried to reorder online and it said my book qualified for free shipping.

When I went to checkout there was a charge for shipping. I figured I would just let it go and order the damn book at this point. I went to put my discount code in and it wouldn't take it because it had already been used. It was used on the order that was canceled. I reached out to B&N at this point for the fourth time, after devoting hours to ordering this book and asked them to remedy the situation. They never responded. It seems like they advertise the coupon code to get your info, but do not want people using it to me.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2020

I ordered a book from B&N that was supposedly in stock. Because my daughter needed it for school, I paid the extra $15 on top of the regular shipping fee for it to be expedited. It's five days later, and the book order is still being "processed", whatever that means. When I contacted their service dept I was told it can take several days for the order to be processed and the book shipped from the warehouse. I now understand why B&N is failing, as their ability to service their customers in a timely manner is unacceptable. Sorry, B&N, but I'm going with Amazon for future orders.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

I have been shopping at B&N for years. They sold me on their membership, which I had to pay for. They told me since I shop there so much that the discounts and benefits would pay for itself. BS, I went there over the summer to get my daughter a bunch of books for summer reading and grabbed a few for myself. I had a coupon sent to me by email that would have been great to use since my bill was close to $300. When I went to upload the coupon their internet was too weak to bring it up. Of course the cashier was like "so sorry, maybe you can print it out next time before you come in, our internet sucks here". I even showed her the coupon to see if she would just honor it but she looked at me like I was crazy and said "the ONLY way to apply the discount was from the bar code when you load it." Great. So there goes 60 bucks that would have paid for the membership.

Anyway, recently I went again this time for my daughter's school project. She needed a biography book and I wanted to buy a few new puzzles and a calendar for the new year as well as a day planner totalling another 300 bucks. I had received another great coupon that would have saved me another 60 bucks. Of course I had forgotten about my upload issue last time so when I went to load the coupon, it wouldn't work. Different cashier again said "sorry our internet is crap". Well now I'm aggravated. This place advertises internet, books and Starbucks. Which to me is an internet cafe bookstore. So what kind of internet cafe doesnt have good working internet? She tells me to maybe walk around the store or go outside to see if it would load. So after waiting in a long line I now have to walk around the store searching for a signal even though I show full bars.

Now I get back in another long line and have her get the manager who takes forever causing another long line. He tells me, "Sorry you need the bar code," even though the email shows the coupon clear as day. He said I can go home and print it out and bring back the receipt and he will adjust. Well dont I go home, drop off my kid and my stuff, print it out and go back. This idiot now tells me that, "Sorry you need more than the receipt." They need the 3 bags of crap I bought to return it all so the can rering to give the discount. Great. Maybe he should have made that clear when he told me to go home and print it and he will adjust my receipt.

So I said, "You can take this beneficial membership and shove it where the sun dont shine." I think I'm done with this place. I wouldn't care if it was a small purchase but since I dont live that close, I usually stock up and spend a lot. if they know they have crap internet then they should have an instore coupon they can scan or have a discount key on their cash register.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2020

I drove 25 miles yesterday to the Calabasas location to purchase a magazine that the website indicated was in stock. It was not. I mentioned my disappointment to the store manager, who shrugged it off and told me the website was not necessarily accurate. No sympathy or offer to help. Disappointing. I'll shop elsewhere.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2020

About 12/27/2019 I ordered an Ansel Adams calendar at the Bend, Oregon B&N store. After paying for it they said they would can contact me when it arrives. Today, 01/26, I checked the B&N counter for my calendar. They said it had come in and that they had contacted me. They said after I did not pick it up they sold it and it is no longer available. I'm disgusted with their service. How could they sell an item that had been already been purchased? As a B&N customer member since the 1980s I've never experienced such negative treatment. If such customer service accelerates their going out of business, it's understandable. Ron **, in Bend, OR.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

I ordered a book Dec 15, 2019 to be delivered by Christmas. The book traveled from New Jersey by UPS and was dumped at the Des Moines, Iowa post office where it still sits. I called Barnes & Noble. They sent another book December 30, 2019. It has arrived at my house on January 8th. It was supposed to be delivered to Fort Dodge, Iowa by January 6th. Now I have called, once again, they will send a book to Fort Dodge and it should be there in two days - Yeah Sure!!!. I also have to send the book they sent to me back to them. That means two trips to the Post Office. One to pick it up, wait for recall slip and drive to Post Office to return their book. I tried to get compensation for my time and travel. They said it is NOT their fault. Yeah - Sure!!! NEVER AGAIN! Barnes & Noble suck - and so does their customer service.

Resolution response: April 29, 2020

This company has located the merchandise and has shipped them. I have received items.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

I have ordered books from Barnes and Noble several times a year, however, within the past 6 months something changed and their service has declined. I ordered 7 books Dec 20 2019, received no status. After 3 days I called customer service who gave me a promised delivery of 27 Dec 2019. I seen the books were sitting at Latham New York 1.5 hours from my home on Dec 20th. It just sat there not moving. Then the 26th the books finally moved to my local post office for delivery.

The following day Dec 27 2019 I contacted UPS and asked why there are sitting 1.5 hrs from my house. UPS quoted what the site said the package says it's in Latham. I told her I know that why has it not moved in days. I received the books on the 27th of Dec. I also had ordered 11 books Jan 3rd 2020. On Jan 6 2020 I called Barnes and noble to inquire why there's no status, They said the books have been pulled from the warehouse and are boxed for shipment and I would receive an email with edd. I received nothing. I called again and was told the promise date changed to Jan 17th 2020.

I told the supervisor, "That's not right. I'm a member. I ordered them Jan 3rd 2020. They have not shipped but you say they are in a box waiting to go out. Why am I waiting 14 days for my order when the books are waiting to be shipped." I also have tried tracking previous orders and received an not a valid order number or when trying to track previous orders the site would say no such tracking number available. I am very very disappointed with Barnes and noble and have decided with this last order of 11 books with no status for 3 days I'm not going to order books from them like I have been doing. Too stressful for me to constantly call and try to find out what's going on.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

I pre-ordered a book several months ago. I realized I never received it and contacted the company. They stated that because it was 30 days past the expected delivery there was nothing they could do. I hadn't been watching the delivery that closely because it was a pre order months in advance. Even though the tracking info clearly shows I didn't receive the book, they just say there is nothing they can do. I was actually in shock with how terrible the customer service was. Will definitely look elsewhere for future purchases because if there is any problem, they won't help you out.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2019

On 12/10/2019, I ordered a "new" hardcover copy of a book thru Barnes & Noble. The item was not delivered until 12/31/19. The shipping package consisted of a piece of cardboard folded around the book and bound by a single band of packing tape. Both ends were open and the book was exposed to the elements. Upon unpacking, the product was found to be definitely "used". Additionally, I found it had been fulfilled by "MarketPlace" seller although I had ordered directly from B&N (the web page offer MarketPlace sellers as an option but I did not chose that). And, finally, the book was not hardcover, it was spiral bound and of much lesser quality. Tried to return but MarketPlace. Seller refused to accept. Will never buy thru B&N again.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

I have ordered from Barnes & Noble for years but my wife and I just have had 3 failed attempts to order books for no clear reason. The ordering process has become much more cumbersome somehow. We got an email saying they were ordered first and then a follow up saying it did not go through but did not explain why.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2019

I ordered a new hardcover book on December 9. I was advised it would arrive by Dec 23. I tried to track my package and received the following response. Status Label Created, not yet in system. A status update is not yet available on your package. It will be available when the shipper provides an update or the package is delivered to USPS. Check back soon. I tracked the package several days only to get the same response. Now that Christmas is past I called Barnes and Noble. I was told that the third party vendor does not use tracking. The package should arrive on or about December 31. What a waste of time. I could have ordered the book from several other places but I chose Barnes and Noble. What a fool am I. I trusted them to deliver and they were a FLOP. I will never order from them again. Third party vendor is a lousy way to do business. Go try Amazon next time.... They do tracking numbers.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2019

I ordered 3 Christmas gifts Dec. 11, well ahead of Christmas delivery. UPS handed the package over to the USPS, who lost it. On Dec. 24 I had to rush around replacing 3 gifts. All BN would do is refund the purchase. No compensation for charging me UPS shipping prices and then losing the order. For decades I have spent hundreds of dollars annually at BN and have faithfully renewed my membership. Now I will shop elsewhere, both online and in stores. BN does not know how to provide customer service.

Barnes & Noble Company Information