1.23/5

630 Barnes & Noble Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I ordered a record and toys for Christmas with arrival before Christmas guaranteed. Both shipments were delayed and later marked to arrive after Christmas. Then I discover that somehow when I placed the order, their website only registered the street name for the delivery and not the street number of my address. They said I didn't enter the street number (which is hard to believe), but not sure how (even if that were the case) it would allow me to proceed with placing the order with an incomplete address.

I called several times to say that my order appears to be out with UPS with no street address and asked for help in fixing the order. Their customer service people barely speak English and could not assist me with straightening out the delivery address. They told me I would have to contact UPS and straighten it out with them since they had already shipped the items to the incomplete address. So, now my package is over a week late and I'm on my 3rd call to UPS still trying to track down my delivery. Horrible ordering experience and horrible customer service on Barnes and Nobles' part. I rarely use them anymore, but will definitely opt for Amazon instead going forward!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I had a membership for a year that I didn't want to renew. This morning I found they withdrew 25.00 from my bank account. An account I don't normally use anymore and to make things worse I'm hoping I didn't incur an overdraft fee. I contacted Barnes & Noble but they make everything so convoluted and confusing that it's hard to cancel or see the membership. I normally purchase from the store and from the store is where I signed up for the membership a year ago. I didn't know and never gave them permission to keep my card information online. Now I have to chase them to get my money back. But here is the kicker, I read that I have to cancel my membership 30 days before it starts. Well My membership begins 1/26/19 and they took my money today 12/27/18 so... effectively nulling the 30 day limit. So now I'm stuck with a membership I don't want nor authorized. Thanks for nothing Barnes & Nobles you screwed me over.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

BUYER BEWARE: I ordered books from Barnes & Noble online as Christmas gifts for my grandchildren. I paid for expedited shipping with a guaranteed delivery date of December 20th. As of today, December 26th, I still have not received the books. When I check the status of my order it shows completed with an estimated delivery date of JANUARY 4TH.

I contacted their customer service rep, Jonah, via chat who told me if the books didn't arrive by the 21st to contact them back. When I asked what they would do when I contacted them on the 21st, his response was "We will ship out replacements." When I asked him how that would put a gift under the Christmas tree for my grandchild, he disconnected the chat. I am reminded of the old adage: A happy customer will tell one or two friends. An unhappy customer will tell everyone! I am EXTREMELY UNHAPPY with Barnes & Noble. If I could give them less than one star, I would. #buyerbeware #brokenpromises #poorcustomerservice

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

I ordered two “I survived books” for my 10 year old son. The two I ordered were ones you can’t find on the shelves in store. I paid for them. Received an email confirmation and date to pick up by December 20th. I was very busy and I arrived on the 23d to pick them up. My order had been canceled and refunded “I hope, haven’t checked my card yet”. Of course when looking through store they were no longer available. The employee didn’t ask if I wanted her to check to see if they still had them in store. Or didn’t offer to tell me where I could find them if they had them in stock. I searched around a busy, crowded store for 20 minutes and gave up! I do realize I was late. But it wasn’t like that were just holding them for me. I paid in full. I will purchase from somewhere else.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

I ordered 5 albums on B&N on 12/21 at 6:23 am and paid extra for expedited shipping. The website said that anything ordered before 11 am would arrive on 12/24. All items were in stock online from B&N and not from independent sellers. After 11 pm, I received tracking numbers from UPS that these items would arrive on 12/27 UPS Ground from Louisville and NJ. Anyone knows that UPS ground over the weekend will not arrive on or before 12/24. I tried to contact customer service through the link and got a “Bad Request” message. Other parts of the site said there is no phone support until 9 am on Saturday. So I have to wait until 9 am which I will expect to be an excuse if I can even get ahold of customer service. Very upset and have lost any faith in B&N as their shipping policies are not accurate.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barnes and Noble?

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I purchased an expensive book through Barnes & Noble online. The book was delivered with a damaged spine. I contacted Barnes & Noble and after speaking with multiple supervisors I was informed that it is not their problem. Even though the product was ordered through their website they source the book from a third party company. I was told I would need to contact the other company to address the damaged book. Please do yourself a favor and never order anything through Barnes & Noble.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I will no longer purchase any item from Barnes & Noble. False Advertisements, Horrible Shipping practices, Terrible Customer Service. I ordered a book on 12/10/18 to be at my home before Christmas, per their online website information. As of yesterday 12/19, 9 days later, this item had not even been shipped out of the warehouse yet, and the book won't be delivered until the 27th?

Called Customer Service, was told sorry our warehouse wasn't "prepared." And then spoke to 2 managers, on 2 different days, asking since the item had not yet shipped out of the warehouse, could I pay for expedited shipping to receive this item before Christmas. "NO. NOTHING can be done, once the order is placed cannot be canceled, cannot be captured for expedited shipping, cannot be changed. NOTHING CAN BE DONE." Basically Barnes & Noble customers are out of luck for shipping and deliveries prior to the Holiday.

I asked if I could place another order with expedited shipping, and the manager said, "You could" but Barnes & Noble CANNOT GUARANTEE that even with expedited shipping, the book would be at my house before Christmas! Is there a need to go through this nonsense to support a company that does not care about their customers, nor their lack of services? No. My business will be done with Amazon instead.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

According to their website items this last holiday week purchased by Tuesday with express shipping will arrive before Dec. 24th. I placed my order on Sunday Dec. 16Th with express shipping. On Wednesday Dec. 19 I check my order status and says expected delivery of Jan 11th. Today Dec. 20 I contact customer service and am told they're sincerely sorry and order no explanation as to why they cannot meet the advertised deadline. I'm told the least they can do is offer a refund on my shipping cost when the item arrives. Never again will I order from Barnes and Noble. For being the top bookstore in the nation, they cannot meet their own shipping standards. "Express shipping" = 3-25 days.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I placed an order on December 12th, the website says 3-5 days. On the 12th, I received a shipping notification for one of the items I purchased. I have not received that item. Then on the 19th I receive another shipping notification for both books I ordered. SEVEN FULL DAYS AFTER PLACING MY ORDER! I tracked the package still hopeful it would arrive before our family Christmas party on the 22nd, but NOPE, won't be here. The website said yesterday if you placed an order on the 18th they would get it to you by the 24th. That's 6 days, which is what I expected for my purchase made on the 12th. I have tried to reach customer service for 3 days to no avail. THANKS A LOT BARNES AND NOBLE. YOU HAVE LOST A CUSTOMER AND I WILL TELL MY TALE TO ANYONE AND EVERYONE.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

Poor, Poor, Poor customer service. I ordered an item for my son for Christmas on December 9th and I called after 5 days to check on shipping and they said I should be receiving the item on December 17th. I called on the 18th to check and they said the 49.99 item I ordered was not in stock and they would refund my money. What?? I can no longer find this item anywhere online unless I want to pay 80.00 plus dollars since they made me wait 9 days for it. It's a popular Lego set that has increased in price due to the Christmas holiday. They said I could go into a local Barnes & Noble store and find it, where it's available. But they were unwilling to ship me from their in store stock to help a customer that they made wait 9 days to tell them their order would be canceled. I will never shop at Barnes & Noble again.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

I ordered 2 Italian nursery books for my new 5 month old grandson which both grandparents are Italian. I according to my delivery date was to have them by Dec.13 2018. After numerous calls with no help from reps that work at B&N, was told my order is lost. Again, holding on for an hour and telling my same story, I was promised that they were being shipped again, yesterday, Dec.14. Another lie. My email, so they say, has not been updated and they did not ship the lost books. I will NEVER again, order from B&N.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I ordered a DVD as a present on Nov. 24th, sent via 2-3 day service. I ordered it when I did because the half-off Criterion sale was about to end. The next day, I received an email saying the package had been shipped via UPS Mail Innovations with a tracking number. Several days pass, with no updating on the tracking number, only this message: "Delivery information is not yet available from the carrier. Alternatively, the delivery details provided are incorrect." 11 days go by. No tracking update, no package. I call UPS, they've no record of the number. I call B&N, they say it was never sent by UPS, though their emails to me state otherwise. I had to call back twice to get a refund, because the first time their customer rep in India couldn't even get that right. 5 hours on the phone to get constant contradictions from every rep I talked to... I finally got my full refund after several hours on hold, and 3 days of callbacks.

Fast forward, December 11th: I come home to find the DVD on my doorstep, SEVENTEEN DAYS later. Terrible service, inept customer reps who have never even seen a B&N store in person, reading stock scripts to angry customers. No more... They lost a customer of 20 years with this little charade, and I'll keep the extra copy of the DVD they botched the order on for myself since I ended up ordering one from Amazon, which I was trying to avoid. Next time, I'll order straight from Criterion. Goodbye, Barnes & Noble.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I returned a Harry Potter box set to the store. The manager issued a return on my debit card. I check my bank the next day and the credit isn't there. I call the manager and he puts in a call to corporate. The manager calls back 6 hours later and told me I now have to wait till Monday to see why I wasn't issued my money. I call the 1800 number and customer service tells me it can take anywhere from 2 days to onwards of "whenever". I told her NOWHERE on the receipt or on Barnes & Noble website does it specify I won't be credited until 2 or more business days. She proceeds to tell me it's my bank that's holding the money.

So I call Chase and she said there has been nothing received from Barnes & Noble. Chase is giving me temporary credit as we processed a claim through the fraud department. Chase asked if there was any more they could do for me and I told the CSR "Yes... Don't buy from B&N! Use Amazon instead!" Her reply... "Well I had a huge problem with my own return and I'll never shop there again!" So I don't see B&N surviving much longer with companies such as Amazon as they are cheaper, customer service is better and all transactions are immediately debited and credited and their return policy... well, they have a great return policy. Bye Bye B&N. Us consumers have Amazon that treats us better and doesn't commit fraud.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I ordered two books online as Christmas gifts and paid extra for express shipping to have them delivered in 2-3 business days. 20 minutes after placing my order I received notification that my order for one book will not be delivered for 15 days and 5 days later for another. I called customer service to have my order cancelled since those dates would not work and I paid extra to have them here in a timely manner. Customer service said they can't cancel the order or change it anyway. Very frustrating! I will never order from them again! Also, allow an extra day or 2 for processing on time of the days for shipment.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Just go to the B & N website, imagine that you have an issue with your purchase (because you will!!). Try the "Help" button on their site or maybe try the one labeled "Customer service" - both take you to an error message that is laughingly marked "bad request"! So there are no avenues on the website (believe me I have clicked on everything) to get online customer service. I have now paid for a $1500 collectible book that was sent to Utah (I live in WI). No worries - I used my Discover card to pay for it and they will get my money back - because that is a company that knows that customer service isn't a bad request!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I ordered the Lego Friendship Hotel on November 24 for my granddaughter in Texas. I needed her to receive this by December 2, eight days later. There was no indication that they did not have this in stock and that they could not ship it within a day. On November 26, I received an email stating that the order had shipped a free accessory toy but not the Lego set. On December 1, I received an email that the availability of the order had changed unexpectedly. On the late afternoon of December 2, I had a message chat with Barnes and Noble in which their person stated that they had the item in the warehouse and it should be shipped soon.

On Monday December 3, I called the service department who was able to check the warehouse inventory and found that they did not have the item. So it was clear that they did not know when they would have this Lego set. I told the person in the service department that I needed my daughter to get gift by the next day and I would go elsewhere. I asked to cancel my order and she was polite and complied. As a retailer in a competitive marketplace, Barnes and Noble did a lousy job of keeping me informed that they could not ship my gift and actually lied to me. I will never again order a toy from Barnes and Noble.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Was sold a membership and was not told anything about it. I was not told it was a yearly membership fee but that it was a lifetime. Was not told they automatically take money out of your account because it was supposedly a lifetime. If I had known all this I would have never purchased this membership. I don't even know what the membership offered because I was never sent anything about the membership.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

I ordered a book and paid the extra cost for express delivery to get it promised by "Nov 20". By Nov. 26 I had neither a book nor any information except the entry "processing" till on their tracking page. Compare to a recent delivery by Amazon which I could track almost down to the hour. Note that their order number is not recognized under all browsers (poor webpage design).

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

After order a LEGO set over two weeks ago, Barnes & Noble still has yet to “process” my order. It was suppose to be delivered on November 20, according to their website, yet at the same time it stated “processing”, with no indication of when or if this item would be restocked. When I emailed the company they responded stating “Despite our efforts, we are unable to ship the item "LEGO The Batman Movie The Scuttler" from your order in the expected timeframe.” The email further states to reply to the email and the order will be cancelled: ”If you would like to cancel this item on your order, you may do so by accessing your Order Status online or by responding to this email.” These are both quotes from their email to me.

So, when I responded requesting cancellation as this item was for a gift I received the following from the company “Once an order has started our fulfillment process, it cannot be cancelled nor are we able to cancel an item from the order. If you received your order and not satisfied, we can send you a label to return the unwanted item. We apologize for the inconvenience this my have caused. Sincerely, Mechelle (11/23/2018 08:51PM).”

This directly contradict their previous email and it is clear the person who responded did not take the time nor effort to even understand the issue- as the order has NOT BEEN FULFILLED, nor is there any indication it will be. So rather than refund my money and cancel as the item is out of stock (as per their website) they have held on to my payment and REFUSE to return my money!!! The legality and ethics of this are highly circumspect and questionable. How is acceptable to take a customers money and deliver no product? In New York State that is fraud!!!

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

On October 27, I went online to look for the Funko Harry Potter Advent calendar. After viewing several stores I found the B&N had it about $5 cheaper than the other retailers. I DECIDED to pre-order this product as I knew it would sell out fast. I place two of the calendars in my cart after viewing the listing, it said the calendars would be released on 11/01 and customers would have by 11/07, I paid my total and went to sleep. 11/07 came and went. No email, no order, no nothing. I went to the website and there was no record of my order. I tried to email. I tried to live chat. I tried to search my order. Nothing works! I then went to Facebook and hit message to talk to a live person. This guy knew nothing and had no care in the world as to why I hadn't received my order.

Next I called B&N. The guy on the line told me, "Oh, the warehouse is shipping today." Oh ok great, not. Still 2 days later no tracking, no shipped email, nothing! I called yesterday and was told more lies. The Christmas calendar would be sent to me now by 12/9, bear in mind this is an Advent calendar. I wasn't happy but ok better late than never. I woke up this morning to an email they canceled my entire order!! Now I can't even order of find the calendars anywhere else. I called and talked to some supposed manager, he just told me too bad, nothing they can do!! This is the worst customer service I have ever received. This company should be ashamed of themselves. Sadly thanks to give I won't be able to get the Harry Potter Funko calendar, but best advise - I will never spend another cent in that or online. Terrible!!

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

I ordered my first book online and it ended up being a Nook book by mistake. I called the customer service department and they did refund me my money and I ordered a hardback book but the free shipping was gone so that added for 99 to my order. Originally the phone was disconnected and I had to call back and it took another 20 minutes to get the refund to get the order correct. I ended up paying over $29 for the book to avoid Amazon. I should have stuck with Amazon for less than $19 with free shipping. Won't happen again.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

I teach Adult English as a Second Language and I usually have my students purchase their books on-line from Barnes and Noble. My students have purchased over a $1000+ worth of books for my classes in the last two years. Sometimes, I also buy books for students who have no credit card. Yesterday, I placed an order for five sets of Ventures Level 1 books. The price came out to a mere $166.00 I paid an extra $10 out of my own pocket to have the books delivered within 2-3 business days. Barnes and Noble then sends me an e-mail stating that the books would arrive a week later.

I call Barnes and Noble and the company representative said the website had the wrong information posted. I then call again and ask to speak with a manager who decides to only refund my shipping since the books were not arriving within 2-3 days as stated on their website. He also told me that he could not cancel the shipment. I proceeded to tell him I was canceling my order. He also told me that I could not receive a refund until I had either refused the shipment or returned the books. I go on their website again to research their return policies. It seems like I might have to pay for the return.

Moreover, if I were to take the books back to a Barnes and Noble store, they would not accept them, although on their website it tells us a different story. I will never again buy on-line from this disorganized company; furthermore, I will from now on instruct my students to make their purchases from somewhere else. I have already called my bank and had them cancel this payment. From now on, I am purchasing from Amazon.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

After updating my computer to Windows 10 I was unable to download library books. Called for tech support - their support is out of the US. Some people I could not understand and others were just useless. Called corporate, receptionist very helpful but no technical support. Some head technician stateside sent me written instructions which of course I tried before, by self and with the Philippines "support." Nothing works. Junking the Nook and purchasing a Kindle. It should be noted that I have been using a Nook since they first came out. B&N you lost a customer and advise all of you to avoid the Nook at all costs.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I made a purchase on 10/19/18 of $31.05 and it showed it pending. It processed on 10/23/18 and I saw that it was still holding the $31.05 dated 10/19/18. I called and was told that regardless of when they receive the payment, their system doesn't release the held funds for 3 to 5 business days from when the order was made. Why they feel the need to tie up money that does not belong to them is beyond me. I have made many online purchases and have never encountered a company that continues to hold funds after payment is processed. The pending should automatically fall off like any other business. Not everyone can afford to have $31.05 tied up after already being charged it on their account.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

Hello, I have had multiple issues with this store (# 2806). My order for two books order number ** for a book placed on 10/1/2018. I clearly went to the store asked the individual to place a late pickup note in the customer comments section. I was showed the data entry on screen by the customer zero representative! Shocked when I went in to pick up my books on 10/17/2018 to find the store not holding my books as requested! As shown by the customer service representative! They reshelved the items! This caused major confusion with the cashier staff! Added to my wait time and could have possibly forced me to reorder! After clearly going and explaining I needed more time to pick up my order, I was honestly not shocked to find my instructions ignored.

This store can NOT preorder a book before its release date without canceling or never ordering the book! I have had that issue crop up so much at this location it’s hard to keep attempting to support a clearly broken system. I will attach my orders and the recite to this review. A new issue today was with a assistant manager named Michael. On 10/18/2018 I went to this High Point Location to use the WiFi and cafe. I was unable to access the WiFi with my iPhone 7 and iPad Air 2. I spoke with Michael who claimed assistant manager level about this issue. Both my devices could see the network but neither could reach the login portal! He was unhelpful here. Stated there was no IT department and after checking and confirming my order moved on quickly and rudely.

I did Reset my network settings on both devices and then did a all setting reset. I was still unable to use this location’s WiFi due to the missing login portal! Went up the street where I could access two other free wifi’s. I returned to the store later today to find I Still could not access the WiFi! Michael is unhelpful and slightly condescending to customers. Please be aware. I was able to confirm others could use the store's WiFi just not me! Odd seeing as I have had past issues with this store!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

My girlfriend and I have lived in Sarasota for a number of years, and one of our favorite places to visit has been (until recently) our local Barnes & Noble. We would do almost all of our book business with them (we are also B&N Members). The associates were always very friendly and helpful, but the same could not be said of the management. A number of times over the years we've had to speak with them, and they've always been curt and a little condescending. I'm not a guy that's easily offended, but our last visit was enough for both us.

So last Saturday we walked in, around 3:00 pm, to a mostly empty store and started looking around at the new books. I soon bought one as my girlfriend continued to browse. She then came to the clearance section where she found a Disney Polystone collectible. She was excited by the lower price and called me over. It was packaged, but not sealed, so we asked if we could look it over first. Two supervisors were talking near the register, and seemed bothered by our asking to take it out, but they did so.

The collectible, to our disappointment, had obviously been opened before, because there was some damage and white paint that had dried down the backside. We asked them if it was supposed to be new or an old display piece (hence the clearance price and damage) and one of the two gave us this nasty look and tone claiming it was new. She became loud and annoyed and repeated herself once more, making it clear in so many words that the price was not changing despite the condition, even though I never asked. Then the second woman added "you could always wait for it to go down to $2 and paint it yourself", with a look that only reinforced the attitude of the first woman.

Recognizing the hostility for what it was, I put the item down and said "no thanks". My girlfriend is not a confrontational person, but she was very disappointed by the way we were treated. Both of us are easy-going, and understand that the workplace is stressful and frustrating at times. But she was upset enough that she put her other items back on the shelves, refusing to purchase anything. I then went back to the register and asked to return the book I had just purchased.

We started to leave, but I approached the first manager once more.

Without raising my voice I said, "because you don't value those who shop with you, you've just lost two long-time, loyal customers." We left without a fuss and have no plans to return anytime soon. She and I both understand that the management at this location shouldn't reflect on B&N as a whole, but there are at least three middle-aged managers at the Sarasota location that have given us a lot of grief over very simple things, and we're just moving on. There are plenty of other booksellers available.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

Despite claims all over the place that they back up 3rd party vendors, when one of the crooks they host on their site runs off with your cash, all of a sudden B&N "can't do anything" and won't refund your purchase. Absolute, lying **.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

B&N has been blasting me with requests to use their reliable online ordering system and touting their high rate of customer satisfaction, but the third party sellers they are working through apparently don't share their enthusiasm for excellence, and I'd say their wooden national service department isn't really feeling it either. The B&N call center folks were polite enough in a workmanlike way, but passed the buck on the first call and simply canceled my order after I made a second call following the failures of the third party seller to contact me or provide any information whatsoever.

My local store was much more helpful in ordering the book from B&N's own warehouse. It'll arrive faster, apparently, and at about the same cost, factoring some pricey shipping from this shady third party in my original attempt to find this book (some online reviews mention serious credit issues from this company, Alibris, which sketches me out - perhaps Amoralis would be a better name). B&N, if you want a good reputation, be careful who you surround yourself with. >:( I don't want to support Amazon's vampiric business practices, but seriously doubt I'll order books online through Barnes and Noble again.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Just an FYI- I just learned Barnes and Noble will NOT honor lower prices found on their own website if you’re buying something in store. I left my item at the counter, went home and ordered the book from Amazon, and saved myself $6.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Ordered a magazine through Barnes and Noble's website. Never received the magazine and when customer service at Barnes and Noble was contacted, was informed that Barnes and Noble will not follow up on this issue since they outsource these types of sales to a third party. No refund and no magazine.

Barnes & Noble Company Information