2. Shopping

Barnes & Noble

4.0/5 (887 ratings)

About Barnes & Noble

Barnes & Noble Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barnes & Noble?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barnes and Noble?

Original review: Dec. 18, 2020

I’m posting this review on every public site I can find to get Barnes & Noble Press’s attention. I ordered 30 copies of a personal book on Nov. 19. I received the 30 copies on Dec. 2. One of the copies was damaged. I took pictures of the damaged book and emailed their customer service on Dec. 2 and said I wanted a replacement copy. They replied on Dec. 3 and said they would send me a replacement copy.

I work in publishing. If one of our customers receives a damaged book, we have a replacement printed and shipped the next day. Barnes & Noble Press apparently doesn’t have the same standard for both quality of their products and quality of their customer service. I next emailed customer service on Dec. 8 and asked them to send me the tracking number for the replacement copy. Their reply was “your replacement order has not shipped yet.” They did not say why it was delayed or when I would receive it. I emailed them a third time on Dec. 12. I did not receive a reply.

On Dec. 15 I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, which they have ignored. I also emailed them a fourth time on Dec. 15 and told them I filed the complaint. They replied on the 16th and said “We are working on the replacement to have the book sent as soon as possible.” Again, they did not say when I would get the replacement.

All of the previous emails were signed from a customer service representative. Today, Dec. 17 I received an unsigned email that said “I am sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction, and I would like to take this opportunity to address your concerns. We understand that your order arrived damaged therefore, we are doing all that we can to get you a replacement copy printed and shipped out as soon as possible.” They are still not saying when I will get the replacement.

They sent damaged goods, and they need to send a replacement NOW. Telling a customer you’re going to fix the problem, while you’re actually doing nothing, is abhorrently terrible customer service. It has been over two weeks. I can have 5,000 copies of a full-color 100-page magazine printed in that time. Yet they can’t handle digitally printing one 46-page book. Again, as someone who working in the publishing industry, I can say without a doubt that there is absolutely no excuse for this outrageous delay. I do not recommend their services. After this experience, I will also never shop at a Barnes & Noble bookstore again. I don’t want to give any of my business to a company that ignores its customers and shirks it responsibility to those same customers.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2020

B&N not providing SERVICE. No access to purchased products with their cyber attack. Now again preordered books that have been released can't be downloaded. No msg as to why. What's the problem this time,?

Original review: Oct. 28, 2020

I walked into a B&N and purchased 60 items to be sent to my home. I was charged IMMEDIATELY. Then I get a note 12 hours later in my email saying, "you didn't pass our verification process and we aren't delivering your product". No clue what I didn't "pass". I paid. You'd think if you paid, you'd get your product. I have now waited 60 + days for a refund. I have called and spent over 5 HOURS on the phone with customer service and the store that took my credit card number and charged me. I got another "wait 5-7 business days and see if the money is refunded to your credit card". I paid almost $300 and I have no product (that I needed for a birthday party that has long passed) and NO REFUND. So you can take my money right away but can't process a refund?! Barnes & Noble will never receive another dime from me or my family.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2020

660 books on cloud. They updated their service. I have had no ability to use my nook devices for 4 weeks now. Multiple calls only say we are working on it. I will not spend one more penny on Barnes and Noble.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2020

Paid extra for gift wrap and for a card with a note with expensive book purchase for a special friend. Little or no attention was paid to gift card; the requested note on the gift card was offset and illegible, and therefore not usable. Product was easy to order, shipping time was great, but trying to get in touch with B&N to resolve the gift card was a nightmare, and is still unresolved. I cannot recommend spending extra for wrap and card or trying to reach B&N customer service online. There was 45-minute wait to call customer service; one has to open an account to reach them by email online.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2020

If you want to buy a book Barnes and Noble is fine. If, however, you need to return an item as we did with a Nook because we can't use it without WiFi, think again. All I wanted to do was return this item, just as I do on Amazon, and it was a nightmare. It has taken three days and I don't know how many phone calls. In the end we are paying for postage and shipping it registered mail. This experience was like trying to steal gold from Fort Knox. It's not the people so much and it is the system. Stick with Amazon.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2020

Like many people, I have waited YEARS for midnight sun to be written and sold. So on May 6th 2020 I pre-ordered the book as soon as I found out she finished it. Today is August 12, 2020 and I was suppose to receive the masterpiece 3 days ago. I go online to check the status and it said that the book was sold out and I would receive mine after they got more. I pre-ordered it! Months ago! I was so upset, I emailed the company, and a few hours later I get on to check the status again and now it says I can't see it because I never ordered the book. I check my bank account from May and turns out they never charged me (even though I checked right after purchasing it, it was pending and I had plenty in the account).

Now this was definitely partly my fault as I didn't make sure it went through but I've never had a problem like this and I did not find it necessary to check my bank more than the once because barns and noble sent me a confirmation email that said I purchased it! They did not send me a cancellation email, or anything of the sort. So I had no clue that they cancelled my order. So I ordered a new book from Amazon for half the price. This is why Barnes and Noble is going out of business, I was trying to support them but what a waste of time. Oh, and I never heard back from the company from my email, and I had tried calling several times and spent a long time on hold before I gave up. I'm not going to sit on the phone for 30 minutes to talk to someone that's just ridiculous.

Original review: July 31, 2020

If you order any book from them and give an honest review on it, they don't seem to like it. Whatever happened to Freedom of Speech? My review about that book was written by a "medical professional" who's telling people in this book that it's okay to take showers without soap. I completely disagreed with this "medical professional's" advice (and I'm also in the medical field too, I'm an LPN) and even wondered what kind of person would tell other people that, especially in this age of Covid-19.

So I expressed my concerns on their review section on their website, and they sent me an email saying that they didn't publish my review because I was in violation of their terms and conditions for posting comments on their website, although I never said anything derogatory about the author of the book (except did they get their medical license from the back of a cereal box, which is a harmless statement). I basically compared this book telling people not to use soap when they take a shower to telling children to go ahead and eat those laundry detergent pods. Apparently, Barnes and Noble hated that but WELCOMED me to write other reviews on their site. I guess as long as you don't tell the truth, they'll publish it.

Original review: July 24, 2020

I ordered books on July 2. As of July 24, they have not arrived. I got the order numbers from my receipt and typed the order numbers into my account. They no longer show up in my order list. They lost the orders. I can get the same books from Amazon within a week, with no problems, because Amazon doesn't lose orders. I can understand why B&N is going out of business. "B&N" must stand for "BROKE AND NO GOOD." I have had many bad experiences with BROKE AND NO GOOD in the past of a similar kind. I will never order from them again.

Original review: July 9, 2020

Don't sign up for automatic renewals! If you aren't using the membership you'll still be charged without a renewal reminder letter or email. LOL — have been put on hold 25 minutes ago by a supervisor... Guess this is Barnes & Noble's brand of "customer" service!

Barnes & Noble Company Information