2. Shopping

Barnes & Noble

4.0/5 (886 ratings)

About Barnes & Noble

Barnes & Noble Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barnes & Noble?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barnes and Noble?

Original review: June 23, 2020

I made the mistake of buying three nook books online. When the books arrived two of them were in German. I have been trying very hard for the past week to correct this problem. Going to their store did not work. I tried to call them many times but to no avail. They are hiding under the covid-19 for not being able to keep enough staff. I now understand why they are going under. This is why such businesses fail. They are super fast getting your money but when it comes to give you service they cannot be reached. I strongly recommend against anybody dealing with them.

Original review: June 11, 2020

This is pretty much my last straw. Look, I’m a forgiving person. Delays of 1, 2,3,4,5,6,7 days... ok. But when a company is MONTHS late and has no recourse to cancel an order they need to be sued. Unethical and disgusting greedy slime. Chat is disabled. Emails bounce back as u deliverable. Broken links in emails leading to never ending loop on website. Calling? HA! I waited 30 min on hold only to get someone who didn’t speak English, contradicted herself and ultimately said it was a “bad connection”. Click. I’ll fight you greedy corporate pigs for every dime you charge me for merchandise I never got because you do this every time.

Original review: June 10, 2020

My 86 year old mother has had 2 previous NOOK readers from Barnes & Noble. In April NOOK #2 dies. I went online and purchased an early Mother's Day gift of the newest NOOK product. My mother had difficulty transferring information from the old unit to the new one. Due to COVID 19 the local store was closed. She waited patiently for almost two months to get help from an associate.

Today, June 8, 2020 she takes the new unit, in the original box, to the store. The associate at the Pensacola, FL location refused to touch the unit due to the virus. It is a hard surface. The CDC has said that COVID 19 does not live well in hard surfaces. If you are concerned wipe it down. Don't give an 86 year old woman a phone number and "gee sorry".

The unit cost me almost $200 and all my mother has is a phone number and nothing to read. She will have to get someone to help her with calling and setting things up. Shame on your associate and shame on management for not training their employees how to show a bit of compassion. Barnes and Noble has gotten their last dollar out of me.

Spencer **

Cape Canaveral, FL

Original review: May 22, 2020

We enjoy bookstores, but whenever we've ordered or pre-ordered books or merchandise we have problems. We ordered Christmas gifts and got emails about delay, delay, delay -- then an abrupt "we cancelled your order." We did NOT get a full refund for items they cancelled! We pre-ordered the new Hunger Games book because someone gave us a gift card. Same story: delay, shipping delay, shipper has given up, BUT nobody has fixed the issue, tried to start a new shipment, or refunded the order -- 5 business days after the date it should have ARRIVED (8 days after shipping started - it is lost). I've been on the phone for over 30 minutes with no help, and likely won't get it resolved AGAIN (or they will "forget" to give us all our refund, like last time, and since you have to wait for an email, it takes a new phone call -- an hour or more -- to get the rest of the money).

Please don't buy your friends and families gift cards unless you think they will go to a store and leave with products in their hands. If you can't leave with an item in your hands, then I hope you get all your items shipped to you, because otherwise it is a part-time job to get "customer service" from this company. While other businesses have tried to do a better job with COVID-19, B&N has used it as an excuse to carry on the same, poor, slow, sloppy, incomplete "customer service" that they always had. Now they can wave the virus excuse around and pretend it is the cause. Nope!

I can't wait to dump these gift cards and shop elsewhere where I won't get the runaround and incomplete refunds. Mistakes are OK, but lies on delays (when in fact they never had the product), lack of trying to help without me spending 1-2 hours on the phone for their mistakes, and incomplete refunds after I've spend a couple of hours on the phone are just not OK. Please don't buy a gift card & torture someone you care about!

Original review: May 14, 2020

Do these people know what they're doing? I recently attempted to purchase a B&N gift card. Two weeks later it still had not arrived. I tried again. After ten minutes on the phone B&N still did not have all the info it needed. I gave up.

Resolution response: April 29, 2020

The company located the merchandise and has shipped it. I received it today.

Original review: April 25, 2020

Unbelievable the nightmare I'm going through with this company. I ordered 6 books March 31 2020 and received an EDD of April 14 2020. That date passed and they sent another EDD date April 21 2020 and guess what another EDD date of April 23 2020. I sent 2 emails to Mr. Daunt the CEO and first response was that he would look into it. I contacted customer service 3 times and was told the books are there and ready for shipment the past 2 weeks. I was told they twice sent a request to the warehouse manager to release books for shipment that was April 21 2020. I requested cancellation as the EDD has past and their system only showed that date though I received an April 23 2020 EDD. I was told by 2 supervisors that I could not cancel because the books are in queue in the warehouse again.

I called April 24 2020 and talked to customer service rep who sent another release the shipment request to the warehouse manager. I was told if I still didn't receive shipping status to call back in 3 business days using the reference number they gave me. I again sent the CEO another email with the order number and a snapshot of the status all showing processing shipment which it has been for 2 weeks. I received no response from him I have been a member for a long time and this truly is terrible to be treated like this I filed a dispute against them to refund my money which they stated they couldn't. Waiting results of the dispute from 3rd party. I will no longer be subjected to this kind of stress with a company who clearly has no desire for customer satisfaction. I will be cancelling my membership and ordering from now on through Amazon.

Original review: April 21, 2020

I only shop here so Barnes and Noble stays in business as its competitor, Amazon takes over the world. However, I am definitely picking Amazon from now on. I ordered some books and 2 candles. The candles came in broken and in huge chunks. It was a mess. I went to email customer service to let them know. Barnes and Noble does not have a customer service email address. I went to do a live chat next. That feature is also inactive. My only option is to call.

I sat on hold yesterday for 25 minutes, then finally hung up. I called again at 8:30, they said they were not taking any more callers. Even though they say they are open until 9pm EST. I am currently sitting on hold for the third time. I am at minute 40 with no answer, and I have not been updated on any kind of wait time. This is awful. Get with the times, B & N. Provide an email address or some kind of chat. We are past the era of sitting on hold for hours at a time. This is the last time I will shop here. I hope Amazon shuts them down. :)

Original review: April 1, 2020

I have had the worst time trying to order from B & N. First I signed up for the newsletter to get 10% off. I never got the discount code emailed to me. After calling the customer service line three separate times and being told it would be emailed immediately I finally got the code sent on the third call. Then I used to the code and scheduled a pick up only to discover my order had been canceled when I was on my way to B & N to pick up. Then I tried to reorder online and it said my book qualified for free shipping.

When I went to checkout there was a charge for shipping. I figured I would just let it go and order the damn book at this point. I went to put my discount code in and it wouldn't take it because it had already been used. It was used on the order that was canceled. I reached out to B&N at this point for the fourth time, after devoting hours to ordering this book and asked them to remedy the situation. They never responded. It seems like they advertise the coupon code to get your info, but do not want people using it to me.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2020

I ordered a book from B&N that was supposedly in stock. Because my daughter needed it for school, I paid the extra $15 on top of the regular shipping fee for it to be expedited. It's five days later, and the book order is still being "processed", whatever that means. When I contacted their service dept I was told it can take several days for the order to be processed and the book shipped from the warehouse. I now understand why B&N is failing, as their ability to service their customers in a timely manner is unacceptable. Sorry, B&N, but I'm going with Amazon for future orders.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

I have been shopping at B&N for years. They sold me on their membership, which I had to pay for. They told me since I shop there so much that the discounts and benefits would pay for itself. BS, I went there over the summer to get my daughter a bunch of books for summer reading and grabbed a few for myself. I had a coupon sent to me by email that would have been great to use since my bill was close to $300. When I went to upload the coupon their internet was too weak to bring it up. Of course the cashier was like "so sorry, maybe you can print it out next time before you come in, our internet sucks here". I even showed her the coupon to see if she would just honor it but she looked at me like I was crazy and said "the ONLY way to apply the discount was from the bar code when you load it." Great. So there goes 60 bucks that would have paid for the membership.

Anyway, recently I went again this time for my daughter's school project. She needed a biography book and I wanted to buy a few new puzzles and a calendar for the new year as well as a day planner totalling another 300 bucks. I had received another great coupon that would have saved me another 60 bucks. Of course I had forgotten about my upload issue last time so when I went to load the coupon, it wouldn't work. Different cashier again said "sorry our internet is crap". Well now I'm aggravated. This place advertises internet, books and Starbucks. Which to me is an internet cafe bookstore. So what kind of internet cafe doesnt have good working internet? She tells me to maybe walk around the store or go outside to see if it would load. So after waiting in a long line I now have to walk around the store searching for a signal even though I show full bars.

Now I get back in another long line and have her get the manager who takes forever causing another long line. He tells me, "Sorry you need the bar code," even though the email shows the coupon clear as day. He said I can go home and print it out and bring back the receipt and he will adjust. Well dont I go home, drop off my kid and my stuff, print it out and go back. This idiot now tells me that, "Sorry you need more than the receipt." They need the 3 bags of crap I bought to return it all so the can rering to give the discount. Great. Maybe he should have made that clear when he told me to go home and print it and he will adjust my receipt.

So I said, "You can take this beneficial membership and shove it where the sun dont shine." I think I'm done with this place. I wouldn't care if it was a small purchase but since I dont live that close, I usually stock up and spend a lot. if they know they have crap internet then they should have an instore coupon they can scan or have a discount key on their cash register.

Barnes & Noble Company Information