Barnes & Noble

Barnes & Noble

3.5/5 (3015 ratings)

About Barnes & Noble

Barnes & Noble Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barnes & Noble?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barnes and Noble?

Original review: June 10, 2020

My 86 year old mother has had 2 previous NOOK readers from Barnes & Noble. In April NOOK #2 dies. I went online and purchased an early Mother's Day gift of the newest NOOK product. My mother had difficulty transferring information from the old unit to the new one. Due to COVID 19 the local store was closed. She waited patiently for almost two months to get help from an associate.

Today, June 8, 2020 she takes the new unit, in the original box, to the store. The associate at the Pensacola, FL location refused to touch the unit due to the virus. It is a hard surface. The CDC has said that COVID 19 does not live well in hard surfaces. If you are concerned wipe it down. Don't give an 86 year old woman a phone number and "gee sorry".

The unit cost me almost $200 and all my mother has is a phone number and nothing to read. She will have to get someone to help her with calling and setting things up. Shame on your associate and shame on management for not training their employees how to show a bit of compassion. Barnes and Noble has gotten their last dollar out of me.

Spencer **

Cape Canaveral, FL

Original review: May 22, 2020

We enjoy bookstores, but whenever we've ordered or pre-ordered books or merchandise we have problems. We ordered Christmas gifts and got emails about delay, delay, delay -- then an abrupt "we cancelled your order." We did NOT get a full refund for items they cancelled! We pre-ordered the new Hunger Games book because someone gave us a gift card. Same story: delay, shipping delay, shipper has given up, BUT nobody has fixed the issue, tried to start a new shipment, or refunded the order -- 5 business days after the date it should have ARRIVED (8 days after shipping started - it is lost). I've been on the phone for over 30 minutes with no help, and likely won't get it resolved AGAIN (or they will "forget" to give us all our refund, like last time, and since you have to wait for an email, it takes a new phone call -- an hour or more -- to get the rest of the money).

Please don't buy your friends and families gift cards unless you think they will go to a store and leave with products in their hands. If you can't leave with an item in your hands, then I hope you get all your items shipped to you, because otherwise it is a part-time job to get "customer service" from this company. While other businesses have tried to do a better job with COVID-19, B&N has used it as an excuse to carry on the same, poor, slow, sloppy, incomplete "customer service" that they always had. Now they can wave the virus excuse around and pretend it is the cause. Nope!

I can't wait to dump these gift cards and shop elsewhere where I won't get the runaround and incomplete refunds. Mistakes are OK, but lies on delays (when in fact they never had the product), lack of trying to help without me spending 1-2 hours on the phone for their mistakes, and incomplete refunds after I've spend a couple of hours on the phone are just not OK. Please don't buy a gift card & torture someone you care about!

Original review: May 14, 2020

Do these people know what they're doing? I recently attempted to purchase a B&N gift card. Two weeks later it still had not arrived. I tried again. After ten minutes on the phone B&N still did not have all the info it needed. I gave up.

Resolution response: April 29, 2020

The company located the merchandise and has shipped it. I received it today.

Original review: April 25, 2020

Unbelievable the nightmare I'm going through with this company. I ordered 6 books March 31 2020 and received an EDD of April 14 2020. That date passed and they sent another EDD date April 21 2020 and guess what another EDD date of April 23 2020. I sent 2 emails to Mr. Daunt the CEO and first response was that he would look into it. I contacted customer service 3 times and was told the books are there and ready for shipment the past 2 weeks. I was told they twice sent a request to the warehouse manager to release books for shipment that was April 21 2020. I requested cancellation as the EDD has past and their system only showed that date though I received an April 23 2020 EDD. I was told by 2 supervisors that I could not cancel because the books are in queue in the warehouse again.

I called April 24 2020 and talked to customer service rep who sent another release the shipment request to the warehouse manager. I was told if I still didn't receive shipping status to call back in 3 business days using the reference number they gave me. I again sent the CEO another email with the order number and a snapshot of the status all showing processing shipment which it has been for 2 weeks. I received no response from him I have been a member for a long time and this truly is terrible to be treated like this I filed a dispute against them to refund my money which they stated they couldn't. Waiting results of the dispute from 3rd party. I will no longer be subjected to this kind of stress with a company who clearly has no desire for customer satisfaction. I will be cancelling my membership and ordering from now on through Amazon.

Original review: April 21, 2020

I only shop here so Barnes and Noble stays in business as its competitor, Amazon takes over the world. However, I am definitely picking Amazon from now on. I ordered some books and 2 candles. The candles came in broken and in huge chunks. It was a mess. I went to email customer service to let them know. Barnes and Noble does not have a customer service email address. I went to do a live chat next. That feature is also inactive. My only option is to call.

I sat on hold yesterday for 25 minutes, then finally hung up. I called again at 8:30, they said they were not taking any more callers. Even though they say they are open until 9pm EST. I am currently sitting on hold for the third time. I am at minute 40 with no answer, and I have not been updated on any kind of wait time. This is awful. Get with the times, B & N. Provide an email address or some kind of chat. We are past the era of sitting on hold for hours at a time. This is the last time I will shop here. I hope Amazon shuts them down. :)

Original review: April 1, 2020

I have had the worst time trying to order from B & N. First I signed up for the newsletter to get 10% off. I never got the discount code emailed to me. After calling the customer service line three separate times and being told it would be emailed immediately I finally got the code sent on the third call. Then I used to the code and scheduled a pick up only to discover my order had been canceled when I was on my way to B & N to pick up. Then I tried to reorder online and it said my book qualified for free shipping.

When I went to checkout there was a charge for shipping. I figured I would just let it go and order the damn book at this point. I went to put my discount code in and it wouldn't take it because it had already been used. It was used on the order that was canceled. I reached out to B&N at this point for the fourth time, after devoting hours to ordering this book and asked them to remedy the situation. They never responded. It seems like they advertise the coupon code to get your info, but do not want people using it to me.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2020

I ordered a book from B&N that was supposedly in stock. Because my daughter needed it for school, I paid the extra $15 on top of the regular shipping fee for it to be expedited. It's five days later, and the book order is still being "processed", whatever that means. When I contacted their service dept I was told it can take several days for the order to be processed and the book shipped from the warehouse. I now understand why B&N is failing, as their ability to service their customers in a timely manner is unacceptable. Sorry, B&N, but I'm going with Amazon for future orders.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

I have been shopping at B&N for years. They sold me on their membership, which I had to pay for. They told me since I shop there so much that the discounts and benefits would pay for itself. BS, I went there over the summer to get my daughter a bunch of books for summer reading and grabbed a few for myself. I had a coupon sent to me by email that would have been great to use since my bill was close to $300. When I went to upload the coupon their internet was too weak to bring it up. Of course the cashier was like "so sorry, maybe you can print it out next time before you come in, our internet sucks here". I even showed her the coupon to see if she would just honor it but she looked at me like I was crazy and said "the ONLY way to apply the discount was from the bar code when you load it." Great. So there goes 60 bucks that would have paid for the membership.

Anyway, recently I went again this time for my daughter's school project. She needed a biography book and I wanted to buy a few new puzzles and a calendar for the new year as well as a day planner totalling another 300 bucks. I had received another great coupon that would have saved me another 60 bucks. Of course I had forgotten about my upload issue last time so when I went to load the coupon, it wouldn't work. Different cashier again said "sorry our internet is crap". Well now I'm aggravated. This place advertises internet, books and Starbucks. Which to me is an internet cafe bookstore. So what kind of internet cafe doesnt have good working internet? She tells me to maybe walk around the store or go outside to see if it would load. So after waiting in a long line I now have to walk around the store searching for a signal even though I show full bars.

Now I get back in another long line and have her get the manager who takes forever causing another long line. He tells me, "Sorry you need the bar code," even though the email shows the coupon clear as day. He said I can go home and print it out and bring back the receipt and he will adjust. Well dont I go home, drop off my kid and my stuff, print it out and go back. This idiot now tells me that, "Sorry you need more than the receipt." They need the 3 bags of crap I bought to return it all so the can rering to give the discount. Great. Maybe he should have made that clear when he told me to go home and print it and he will adjust my receipt.

So I said, "You can take this beneficial membership and shove it where the sun dont shine." I think I'm done with this place. I wouldn't care if it was a small purchase but since I dont live that close, I usually stock up and spend a lot. if they know they have crap internet then they should have an instore coupon they can scan or have a discount key on their cash register.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2020

I drove 25 miles yesterday to the Calabasas location to purchase a magazine that the website indicated was in stock. It was not. I mentioned my disappointment to the store manager, who shrugged it off and told me the website was not necessarily accurate. No sympathy or offer to help. Disappointing. I'll shop elsewhere.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2020

About 12/27/2019 I ordered an Ansel Adams calendar at the Bend, Oregon B&N store. After paying for it they said they would can contact me when it arrives. Today, 01/26, I checked the B&N counter for my calendar. They said it had come in and that they had contacted me. They said after I did not pick it up they sold it and it is no longer available. I'm disgusted with their service. How could they sell an item that had been already been purchased? As a B&N customer member since the 1980s I've never experienced such negative treatment. If such customer service accelerates their going out of business, it's understandable. Ron **, in Bend, OR.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

I ordered a book Dec 15, 2019 to be delivered by Christmas. The book traveled from New Jersey by UPS and was dumped at the Des Moines, Iowa post office where it still sits. I called Barnes & Noble. They sent another book December 30, 2019. It has arrived at my house on January 8th. It was supposed to be delivered to Fort Dodge, Iowa by January 6th. Now I have called, once again, they will send a book to Fort Dodge and it should be there in two days - Yeah Sure!!!. I also have to send the book they sent to me back to them. That means two trips to the Post Office. One to pick it up, wait for recall slip and drive to Post Office to return their book. I tried to get compensation for my time and travel. They said it is NOT their fault. Yeah - Sure!!! NEVER AGAIN! Barnes & Noble suck - and so does their customer service.

Resolution response: April 29, 2020

This company has located the merchandise and has shipped them. I have received items.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

I have ordered books from Barnes and Noble several times a year, however, within the past 6 months something changed and their service has declined. I ordered 7 books Dec 20 2019, received no status. After 3 days I called customer service who gave me a promised delivery of 27 Dec 2019. I seen the books were sitting at Latham New York 1.5 hours from my home on Dec 20th. It just sat there not moving. Then the 26th the books finally moved to my local post office for delivery.

The following day Dec 27 2019 I contacted UPS and asked why there are sitting 1.5 hrs from my house. UPS quoted what the site said the package says it's in Latham. I told her I know that why has it not moved in days. I received the books on the 27th of Dec. I also had ordered 11 books Jan 3rd 2020. On Jan 6 2020 I called Barnes and noble to inquire why there's no status, They said the books have been pulled from the warehouse and are boxed for shipment and I would receive an email with edd. I received nothing. I called again and was told the promise date changed to Jan 17th 2020.

I told the supervisor, "That's not right. I'm a member. I ordered them Jan 3rd 2020. They have not shipped but you say they are in a box waiting to go out. Why am I waiting 14 days for my order when the books are waiting to be shipped." I also have tried tracking previous orders and received an not a valid order number or when trying to track previous orders the site would say no such tracking number available. I am very very disappointed with Barnes and noble and have decided with this last order of 11 books with no status for 3 days I'm not going to order books from them like I have been doing. Too stressful for me to constantly call and try to find out what's going on.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

I pre-ordered a book several months ago. I realized I never received it and contacted the company. They stated that because it was 30 days past the expected delivery there was nothing they could do. I hadn't been watching the delivery that closely because it was a pre order months in advance. Even though the tracking info clearly shows I didn't receive the book, they just say there is nothing they can do. I was actually in shock with how terrible the customer service was. Will definitely look elsewhere for future purchases because if there is any problem, they won't help you out.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2019

On 12/10/2019, I ordered a "new" hardcover copy of a book thru Barnes & Noble. The item was not delivered until 12/31/19. The shipping package consisted of a piece of cardboard folded around the book and bound by a single band of packing tape. Both ends were open and the book was exposed to the elements. Upon unpacking, the product was found to be definitely "used". Additionally, I found it had been fulfilled by "MarketPlace" seller although I had ordered directly from B&N (the web page offer MarketPlace sellers as an option but I did not chose that). And, finally, the book was not hardcover, it was spiral bound and of much lesser quality. Tried to return but MarketPlace. Seller refused to accept. Will never buy thru B&N again.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

I have ordered from Barnes & Noble for years but my wife and I just have had 3 failed attempts to order books for no clear reason. The ordering process has become much more cumbersome somehow. We got an email saying they were ordered first and then a follow up saying it did not go through but did not explain why.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2019

I ordered a new hardcover book on December 9. I was advised it would arrive by Dec 23. I tried to track my package and received the following response. Status Label Created, not yet in system. A status update is not yet available on your package. It will be available when the shipper provides an update or the package is delivered to USPS. Check back soon. I tracked the package several days only to get the same response. Now that Christmas is past I called Barnes and Noble. I was told that the third party vendor does not use tracking. The package should arrive on or about December 31. What a waste of time. I could have ordered the book from several other places but I chose Barnes and Noble. What a fool am I. I trusted them to deliver and they were a FLOP. I will never order from them again. Third party vendor is a lousy way to do business. Go try Amazon next time.... They do tracking numbers.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2019

I ordered 3 Christmas gifts Dec. 11, well ahead of Christmas delivery. UPS handed the package over to the USPS, who lost it. On Dec. 24 I had to rush around replacing 3 gifts. All BN would do is refund the purchase. No compensation for charging me UPS shipping prices and then losing the order. For decades I have spent hundreds of dollars annually at BN and have faithfully renewed my membership. Now I will shop elsewhere, both online and in stores. BN does not know how to provide customer service.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2019

I ordered a set of books as a Christmas present on 12/17, I paid extra to have them expedited, the books were showing as In Stock. I received the confirmation of order, but never received the item. I just spoke to them and they do not have the book in stock, they never bothered to tell me they did not have it in stock. I will never purchase from them again. They have sat on my money for 5 days and never bothered to let me know the book was not available. HORRIBLE Customer service.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

I ordered this 12 book (used) set for my daughter as a birthday gift. Shipping was very slow. When I opened the box, the books were a mess. They were clearly just shoved in the box and some covers and pages were bent/ripped. I did order a used set and wasn’t overly concerned with some bends or normal wear. As I took the books out and fixed the bends, I realized I was missing the 12th book. I contacted customer service and they informed me the order I had made was for 11 books. I showed them the picture they had used in the ad which showed 12. I then saw that nowhere on my order info did it actually say the amount of books that were actually included. Missing one book isn’t the biggest deal in the world but I paid $60 for a used book set that was falsely advertised. Based on the shipping time, packaging, and the misleading website, I won’t be ordering again. Back to Amazon and eBay I go.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

Less than 24 hours after placing my order, I received an email stating that my order would arrive over 1 week later, making it much too late for the gift exchange I intended it for. So I contacted customer service, again less than 24 hours after making the initial order, and they told me that the order had been processed and could not be cancelled, despite the fact that the item would not ship for over a week (estimated delivery time is 2 weeks from now, despite the 3-5 business days I was told at time of order). They offered a return label. The product is scheduled to be delivered the day before my birthday, 6 days before Christmas, and over 2 weeks after I made the order, so I will have to venture out during my holiday break to try and send in this stupid return I should not have to be making. Really bad customer service, I will be done with Barnes and Noble from now on. Plenty of other options out there for books.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

Have good value for books, definitely beats Amazon with prices, I brought a book from them (still waiting for it to arrive). It was reasonably priced because it included shipping, until I looked at the receipt and saw it charged $27.14 USD. Then I proceeded to cry in Australian because that adds up to be about $41.87 AUD. It hurt me on a emotional and physical level. It would have been nice if they converted it before I purchased. But at least it is cheaper than Amazon.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

My order was cancelled for “fraud protection” because my laptops IP is from Maryland and I live in Texas. Did not contact me. Just cancelled my order. Was told by a sales audit representative that he replaced my order and I would receive a confirmation in 30 minutes, 2 hours and nothing... next morning still nothing so I called again and they said I have to place the order myself. Finally placed the order the following Monday because I’m a college student paying my own way through school and don’t have a lot of money and I had to wait for the hold on my bank to void out. They said they upgraded my shipping from the 5-7 day shipping I paid for to 3-4 since I need it for a class and had to wait all that time. Yet again that was a flat out lie.

I got an email saying the promised date was 10/17. 7 pm on 10/17 still no book and tracking number won’t work so I called customer services. They told me it won’t be here until 10/24 a whole week after the promised date I got in an email from them! Ended up not being able to turn in 4 assignments for school and am now failing the class when I’m an A student. Called to talk to a supervisor and all he told me was basically that every single representative I talked to (5 I believe) lied to me and he couldn’t do anything about it. Not even reimburse me the shipping I paid for. Do not listen to customer service/sales audit teams. They have no idea what they are talking about.

I work in customer service and would never lie to a customer, if I don’t know the answer I would call other department until I found the answer. This is no way to run a business. They have just lost a customer who has been shopping with them since I was 7 which is a total of 16 years. Also, ended up paying more for my second time ordering than my first.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2019

I enjoyed looking through the bargain books. There are always a wide selection of subjects, at reasonable sale prices. I also love the variety of gifts and knickknacks from fantasy movies. Always great customer service.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2019

Last September I placed an order through Amazon, which went through Barnes and Noble, for the purchase of Nickelodeon’s “Rocko’s Modern Life” complete series DVD. After the order had been placed, I was informed that it would take them almost two weeks to deliver the DVD. I was a little miffed, but I figured that Rocko went off the air in the late 1990’s. I could hold out for two more weeks. Less than a week later I received a package from some company delicately named Blow It Outta’ Here.

Having never ordered anything from any company that boasted blowing things out of places, I reluctantly opened the package to find a brand new DVD of the 1974 movie “Zandy’s Bride” featuring Gene Hackman and Liv Ullmann. So, naturally I was confused. This was not the company I ordered my DVD from. This DVD was a post civil war drama about a settler and his mail order bride trying to scratch out a simple living in the harsh American wilderness, not the fun-loving adventures of a 90’s wallaby and his colorful friends. The only thing that seemed remotely similar to my order was the fact that it was a DVD. So, basically, “kudos” to Blow It Outta’ Here for getting that right, I suppose.

After several emails I eventually got Blow It Outta Here to refund my money, provided I return the DVD to them. Being the type of person who likes adventure, I packaged up Zandy’s Bride and promptly returned it to the address they provided. It should be noted that they did pay for the postage, but, as of today, a week later, no refund. But, I’m optimistic. I figure life can throw some pretty weird stuff at you sometimes and the only defense we have against the indifference of massive corporations is good natured optimism. And then I thought, hey you throw a Steer and a turtle in there and I am Rocko! So, refund or no I would like to thank Amazon, Barns and Nobel and Blow It Outta’ Here for helping me pay tribute to Rocko in a weird sort of twisted way.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2019

❌❌NEVER BUY FROM BARNES AND NOBLE WEBSITE.❌❌ I ordered my book and access codes for school a MONTH ago! $300!! They took the full the $300 for both items out of my account, gave me an arrived date (before ordering) so I ordered them two weeks before I started school back. I received my book within a week, money came out of my account, no problem. My access code on the other hand, the money went back into my account and the site says “being processed”. It was suppose to arrive on October 8 (which is why I ordered it). I get an email the WEEK before the 8th stating it wouldn’t be here until the 14th.

So I call Barnes and Noble to cancel the item since it has NOT been shipped yet because I cannot wait that long. They then tell me they cannot cancel the item and I have to wait until it arrives for me to return it. As well as the money coming out of my account when it ships. I even spoke to a manager. She told me the same thing. So I looked at my account that same day and they took $114 out of my account the same day I talked to them on the phone. I waited and waited, even checked the status online.

The following week, the $114 gets returned BACK to my account. So I call again wondering if they actually got the ordered canceled and they proceed to tell me that they don’t know why it did that but the money won’t come out of my account until it ships. (May I remind you the order status online still says arriving October 8.) So I wait a few more days, I call again today to see where my package is considering online status still say “being processed”. They proceed to tell me they don’t know when it will be shipped at all and I will just continue to have to wait and still no way to cancel the order.

I have never in my life seen a company that cannot cancel an order when it has NOT left their facility yet!! I have no clue when to expect that $114 to come out of my account. And on top of that, it will NOT be here on the 14th like the email had said. I cannot wait because my temporary access code expires in the next few days! Now I have to spend ANOTHER $90 to buy another access code because I cannot wait! Plus I do not know when the $114 will come out of my account again!!! I'M NEVER ORDERING FROM THEIR ONLINE SERVICE AGAIN!!! No one can help you with anything!!! No one can tell you anything!!! And they keep taking money out of my account and putting it back in there!!! If anyone knows anything more I can do, please feel free to comment!!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

I ordered a textbook on the 28th of August and was told it would arrive by the 6th. The arrival time kept getting pushed back (I believe at least three times). I decided to order the textbook from another site. I go to the Barnes and Noble website today, September 13th to cancel my order and it still hasn’t even shipped and come to find out it’s out of stock. Why not notify me of that in your emails? Thank you for at least giving me the option to cancel my order.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

I pre-ordered an item from Barnes & Noble in its limited edition form. The day it was scheduled to ship, BN had some sort of problem processing my card. Instead of calling, they cancelled the order and sent an automated email. I called customer service to un-cancel the order, and they'd already shipped all limited edition items to other people. No phone call, even though a phone number is required with every order. Now the item will not arrive on time, and it's not the version I hoped for. Very disappointed.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

I ordered a book whilst in the States two weeks before I left as it said that it would be a 2-3 day delivery time. As my departure date drew close (1 week), I reached out to them to see whether it would arrive in time. I didn't receive a reply for 4 days and by then they said that the book was already in transit. Reached out again twice with no reply for days. In total the book took almost 3 weeks to deliver and I was gone by the time it arrived.

I contacted them again after this to request a refund. I have now written 5 e-mails over the span of 2 weeks, with every e-mail response requesting the information I had sent in the last e-mail. Just going around and around in circles and still no resolution. It's like drawing blood from a stone to get anywhere with these people. Clearly only interested in a sale and not customer service.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

Don't buy B&N. Barnes & Noble washes its hands of the transgressions of its 3rd party sellers. You can only interface with B&N, but when something goes wrong they shift the blame to some invisible third party. Maybe I can't legally blame them because of what I agreed to when I bought the book, but I can at least come here and say that an 8-14 day shipping window has turned into a month, potentially. I wonder if anybody is even obligated to deliver a book at this point.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

I ordered two pens from Barnes & Noble and they arrived perfectly fine and within a good time frame. I also ordered a 5-piece Body Scrub and Butter set as a gift for my mom. The order kept being delayed and then after about 2 weeks the order was canceled. I was just confused because my other two items arrived fine, but then this just never even delivered. I was pretty disappointed. I even texted a customer service employee, and although she did update me that it would still take time to be delivered, it didn't even reach that stage.

Barnes & Noble Company Information