Shop Now

3. Dog Food

4.6/5 (43 ratings)
Shop Now  on Chewy

About Taste of the Wild

Taste of the Wild is a pet food company that uses premium ingredients and no additives. The company offers a wide variety of pet food flavors and has specific formulas for pets in different life stages or with dietary restrictions.

Pros

• No additives
  • Variety of flavors
  • Premium ingredients
  • Quality assurance

Cons

• Not widely available
  • More expensive

Bottom Line

Taste of the Wild offers premium dog food at an affordable price. While it’s still more expensive than some other brands, its natural ingredients and quality assurance make it stand out.

Taste of the Wild Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Taste of the Wild?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Taste of the Wild?

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

Dexter, our big dog, likes Taste of the Wild. He eats everything, and I switch the formula up. We have been using it for two years now.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

With Taste of the Wild, my dog has a good looking coat. During hunting seasons, I add a little bit of the wet food to it, which she really loves. Recently, she had a stick shoved up her nose, sneezed really hard and broke several teeth. She's gonna be on a little bit more wet from here on out to make it easier on her to chew. When she had her teeth removed, the vet asked if my dog was on a grain-free diet. I didn't get to talk with her too much about it, but she said that dogs needed grain.

I have a nine-year-old black Lab retriever. She's about 59 pounds. She's a working dog so I try to stay very consistent with what she's intaking. I look for the quality and the ingredients and everything has shown that Taste of the Wild has a consistent recipe. Consistency is also very important to me because I buy bags of dog food if the dog wanted to eat. A lot of different dog foods seem to change their recipe. Every once in awhile, they'll change it for a bit then they'll change it back. Eukanuba and Pro Plan have done the same thing. I used to be a Pro Plan guy 20 years ago but now, I'm done with them. Now, I'm into Taste of the Wild and have been for quite some time.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

We got a pitbull puppy back in June. At the time I was feeding her Iams and she was having skin allergies. She lost fur and was itchy all the time. I tried shampoos for her coat and her hair never would fully grow back. I switched her over to Taste of the Wild Pacific stream puppy formula and her hair grew back within 2 weeks. Her coat is so soft and shiny now! Love this dog food.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

We no longer have our pet. But we've used Taste of the Wild since we got him. The veterinarian recommended it, and we still order it and send it to his new home. He likes it and eats it. We had dog food that causes reactions to our pets in the past. This doesn't, so I think it's properly made. But I'd love it if it costs less.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2019

My American bulldog was having allergy problems so I made a switch to Taste of the Wild. I use a venison buffalo one, the salmon one -- I use all of them just to switch up so she’s not getting tired of the same flavor. When I first switched over it was a big difference. She gained a lot of healthy weight, and then her skin got better. But then, I don’t know if it’s seasonal allergies or what, but now she’s shedding a lot. She has a lot of allergies and itching. But I don’t think it’s the food because I tried switching over to something else and limit her ingredient diet, and it still didn’t work. So, I just went back to Taste of the Wild because she likes that one.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2019

We have used Taste of the Wild for five years and we are happy with it. It was recommended by a pet store. It is all natural ingredients and we alternate the formulation for our black Lab -- he has had Taste of the Wild since he was born.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

I have a Boxer-Lab mix and he itches a lot and he scratches. We found Taste of the Wild is the best dog food for his allergies and he likes it. He likes the Buffalo. Also, we always give him the salmon formulation. I'd recommend it to anybody.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2019

Both of my dogs are rescues and for five years now, I've been feeding them Taste of the Wild. They haven’t had anything else. Their coat is shinier, but I feed them raw eggs in the morning as well. I used to feed them lamb, but they drank a lot of water with it. They like Taste of the Wild and have been healthy. Moreover, their breath doesn’t stink.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2019

I just started with Taste of the Wild and my dog, a Tri-color American Bully, likes it more than what she had before. She’s an inside dog. She goes outside and wants to come right back inside. I’ve tried a couple of different formulas and she likes all of them. It’s a good value and she has definitely gained some weight.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2019

I've had my Lab mix on Taste of the Wild for about a year, and in general, it was very good. It kept her very healthy.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2019

We had a Rhodesian Ridgeback who had a very particular diet and he couldn’t eat anything with grain in it. That led us to try a couple of different foods and Taste of the Wild was the one he tolerated the best. He has since passed, but we just keep buying the food. We’ve got two dogs now and that’s what they’ve only eaten. I’ve done the bison, the salmon, and the venison combo. But the place I go to has about four versions and I’ve gotten pretty much all of them. The two dogs that we have now just devour their food. I could put anything in the bowl and they would go for it. In fact, one of them gets medicine and I just throw the pills in with the food and it’s gone.

We’ve got a German Shepherd and the other one is a Pit bull mix. They are healthy dogs, they’re very active and their coats are lush. They love to run, play, and walk. So, the food is a benefit to them in terms of contributing to that. They’re great dogs and giving them quality dog food is important to us. And Taste of the Wild a brand that I would recommend to anybody.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2019

I have a German Shepherd named Rocko and he'll be turning 6 in December. We like him to have a long life expectancy and we just feed him human food. We tried to keep him on no soy, no grain, no sugar type of food. Then, we've had him on Taste of the Wild for about two and a half years now and he hasn’t had any problems with it. We switch it up so that he doesn’t get bored with the flavor. But even though he’s almost 6, we still feed him the puppy formula most of the time because his coat seems to be shinier.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

I was looking for a healthier brand and a more natural food for my dog. I decided to purchase Taste of the Wild and I've been buying that for almost four years now. So far, my experience with it has been really good. I live in the city, so my dog doesn’t get a ton of exercise outside besides in my yard, and I feel like it’s a good food for him to kinda compensate for the fact that he may not be running around as much as other dogs. I used to use the puppy formula and now I use the adult food. But he has had all the different kinds and all the flavors, and he’s never had any issues with it. He really likes it.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

My dog has allergies. We went through several different foods, and Taste of the Wild is the one that she didn’t react to. She's a Pitbull. She loves the food. She gets really excited for it. Things have been going good with the product so far.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2019

My dog loves Taste of the Wild. I started my dog off on it. It was a free offer from the pet store because we adopted a dog. He's a mutt. The veterinarian said, "He's on Taste of the Wild, leave him. He likes it." I like that there's not a lot of junk in it. I alternate the dog food flavors for him. And the bison is his favorite.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

We had researched dog food previously with our other Great Dane, and we had used a different brand. We found Taste of the Wild at a local provider and our dog likes it and eats it, so we stuck with it. However, the dog food is so expensive and never on sale, so a rewards programs would be good. Other than that, our 7-year-old Great Dane has been on Taste of the Wild since we got him and he's been lean.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

I have a Schipperke that had a lot of problems with itching and being allergic, so they thought he was allergic to the wheat in other foods. So, I went to a meat-based food and Taste of the Wild was recommended by the vet. Since using it, there's not as much itching, and he tends to like it better than any other kind of food. If I have to get him something else, he doesn’t like other food as much. I've been using Taste of the Wild for about eight years. I've been happy with the product. My dog likes it.

I use the small kibble one and I kinda bummed that it only comes in one flavor. But sometimes, I mix it up. Sometimes, I’ll get my dog some of the bigger kibble. He doesn’t really like the fish ones. Otherwise, he likes the small kibble because he’s a smaller breed. He gets sick of having one flavor all the time, but I gotta stick to that.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2019

I had a really good experience with Taste of the Wild. I was going between the Bison and Lamb. But I stopped using it suddenly. The vet recommended me to change my dog’s diet because of the grain-free and all the dogs dying. My fault for not getting more information together. I listened to him and changed my dog’s diet. And since then, my dog has been very sick. I had spent $2,300. I changed and I wanted to go back to Taste of the Wild because it works for me for over a year. But now, her stomach is not agreeing with any of them and Taste of the Wild is not working. My dog was fine, and she never got sick. She’s a Boxer and she was perfect. But now, I’m having all these problems. She’s on a low-fat diet. My hope is that when she gets back to healthy again, I can go back to Taste of the Wild because she loved it and we never have problem before.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2019

Taste of the Wild was a recommendation from a vet and a pet food place. I like the no grain stuff. I’ve got an older dog and one had some stomach issues and allergy issues, and it seemed like Taste of the Wild was a nice fit. Once I changed, I’ve had no problems. I have a Doberman, a chocolate lab, a Pitbull, a Goldendoodle, and a Mini Pin. The Doberman I have is a pretty recent rescue. I’ve had him just for the summer, and his coat has immediately gotten better. And he had some allergy issues too. He had scratchy, itchy, patchy coat and dry skin, and that’s cleared up since I got him in June.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2019

Taste of the Wild came recommended from our trainer as it doesn’t have the carbohydrates and all the fillers. The first ingredients are natural protein. I only wish they didn’t make the bag sizes smaller and charge more, which seems to be the trend with everything. But it's good food. We have a female German Shepherd that we had had as a puppy and now we have had her for 3 years and 7 months. She’s never had issues with Taste of the Wild and she prefers a mix of the venison and the bison. She’s very healthy and I’m sure that her diet is definitely part of it.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2019

The dogs love Taste of the Wild. I have Pit bulls and with it, they have much more energy. I have a 9-year-old and a year and a half, and I use everything but the salmon. Salmon don’t work well for pit bulls.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2019

My dogs hate Taste of the Wild and won't eat it anymore. I have a six-month-old Rottweiler and I have been giving him the puppy formula, but my fiancee and I have been talking about switching. I also have a 2-year-old pit bull and she's been eating Taste of the Wild since 7 weeks old. She eats the adult formula and we've tried different formulations and always switch it up every time we get her a bag. But now, she doesn't like it anymore. She's been having diarrhea and when she does eat it, she's kinda down. So, the Rottweiler doesn’t eat the dog food too ‘cause my pit bull stopped eating it.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2019

I have a 12-year-old Catahoula that had had skin problems so we switched all the dog food. We've been feeding Taste of the Wild to our dogs for about 2 years now and my Catahoula hasn't had any skin issues for a couple of years. We bought the salmon flavored the last time and the bag smells so horrible, so we'll never buy the fish again. But the dogs ate the whole bag. We fed it to them really fast, so we can get rid of it. Other than that, it's fine. We use the grain-free and we also buy another brand of dog food and we mix the two back and forth.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

Taste of the Wild has good ingredients and it’s not a crazy price like most of the other dog foods. I'm a pet owner and I've been using Taste of the Wild for 6 months or more on my 2 chocolate Labs. Molly, the younger one, would eat anything. But Leila, who's about 13, is a little picky when it comes to eating, but she seems to gobble Taste of the Wild up. So, that’s maybe another reason why we started giving it to her. She also seems to push more towards the Pacific Stream and more of the fish formula. We have her on thyroid medication and her hips are getting really slim, but it's just a Lab trait. Her coat wasn’t the best when we got her on the medication, and she’s been on Taste of the Wild for a while, but she's definitely doing better in general. All in all, my dogs enjoy Taste of the Wild so I don’t see why other people's dogs wouldn’t.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

For about six months now, I've been using Taste of the Wild. I feed it to my dog, an American Bulldog, once in the morning and once in the evening and she likes it.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2019

I have two Huskies and one of them is 2 years while the younger one is 6 months. They have both been on Taste of the Wild on their whole lives. They wouldn't eat other pet foods and they're both still on the puppy formula. We get the bag food of the Sierra Mountain and I mix a little bit of water with it and they love it. They're feeling softer and shinier and, overall, their activity level seems to be higher. I have only started feeding Taste of the Wild with this set of dogs, but before that, I used the generic Purina and the dogs didn't have as much energy and weren't as soft and fluffy. That's a stereotypical thing, but the coats have improved definitely.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

My dogs like Taste of the Wild a lot. They devour it. I have two white labs, Gus and Pearl, and they're extremely healthy. I've been feeding them the wild salmon, with which I stick to all the time because if we change their diet a little bit it screws them up. Taste of the Wild was recommended by my friends and the store where we buy the food from, and one of our vets said it was better than Blue Buffalo.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

A friend of mine recommended Taste of the Wild. Things have been going fine with their product. I've been using it for my dogs for four years. And with it, they’re not having runny stool.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

I've been giving my Mini Dachshund Taste of the Wild for about five years now. It was recommended to us by one of the vets that we see. We’ve been told by our vet that the grain-frees are good, but some grain is actually good for the dog too. We mix Taste of the Wild with Royal Canin, the one that’s made for Dachshunds, at half and half. My dog eats any of the food that doesn't have salmon, because she gets a stinky butt when she eats salmon, so we usually stick to the venison mix one.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

Taste of the Wild is great. My dogs love it. The only thing they don't like is the salmon flavor so we stick with the buffalo. Aside from Skipper, who has had Taste of the Wild since she was a puppy, we have adopted Jada two years ago and she also gets Taste of the Wild. We started using it because that's what our breeder recommended and I give supplement food like half an egg in the morning on top of it and then a handful of chicken breast in the evening. We also give them salmon oil in their food and that seemed to help Jada because her coat improved.

Taste of the Wild Company Information