4.39/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Taste of the Wild provides a wide variety of quality wet & dry food options for dogs & cats. Taste of the Wild understand the importance of feeding quality food to your pets, which is why we are committed to strict quality and safety standards. Contact us today or visit our website to find out more about our products and where you can find them!

Taste of the Wild Reviews

Original review: March 27, 2019

I have a 14 year old Yorkipoo, and an 8 year old Schnoodle. They have always eaten TOTW dry Salmon with no issues. They only eat this food and no table food! I think many people feed their dogs other people food, and they get sick and have other health issues for this reason. My dogs eat less, maintain their weight, have good skin, and a healthy coat with this dog food. Now I do only feed them the dry Salmon, which may make a difference for issues others are having.

Taste of the Wild response

That's great! Your two dogs' breeds are prone to skin issues so are happy they are doing well. Thanks for letting us know

Original review: March 27, 2019

I had six dogs (3 large and 3 small) until my big German Shepherd had to be put down due to a neurological issue in his back. He was 13 years old. He and my Golden Retriever weighed over 100 pounds (not fat) and have enjoyed this food for at least 8 years. Now my Scotties are on it, too. Nobody has skin issues. They look forward to breakfast and dinner every day. The salmon flavor is their favorite. I did notice the addition of probiotics to the writing on the bags within the past year. I was concerned that probiotics are not always a good additive but it did not seem to have any effect on my dogs.

Taste of the Wild response

Thanks for the pictures! So glad all is well. As far as probiotics you raise a good question. Ours are trademarked and are derived from a dog, named Frey and a cat, named Tiger. What's so special is that other pet food companies use probiotics derived from cattle. Dogs and cats GI systems are a lot different than cattle. Furthermore we add the probiotics after the cooking process so as to not kill them. We guarantee that there will be a minimum of 80 million colony forming units thru out the life of the food

Original review: March 22, 2019

My dog has been on the TOTW Prairie bag diet for the 5th bag. Everything was going fine until we bought another bag, and she would puke every time after she would eat within a 5-10 minutes of eating. I went to the Vet and did a lot of different tests and scans, all coming back fine. He suggested I change her food, which I did to a cooked chicken / rice diet. All of her symptoms were gone, I tried giving her the TOTW bag food again, once again puke within 15 minutes. I threw away the bag right away, and bought a generic Member's Mark chicken / brown rice bag. Within 1 day, all of her symptoms were gone. No more puking, no more issues. VERY VERY disappointed with Taste of the Wild as I had only read good things about this company. Quality assurance is clearly not being done right as all of the bags are not the same. The TOWT food was bought from Petco.

Taste of the Wild response

Sorry to hear about the regurgitation issue, I assume the food was coming back up undigested? With it coming back up so quickly I wonder if there may be a motility problem in the esophagus. Often bland food, like the chicken and rice you prepared, is tolerated because swallowing it can be accomplished easily since a lot of dogs don't even chew it compared to hard kibble

Original review: March 21, 2019

I bought new bag of TOTW Sierra Mountain for my rough collies yesterday. So far, they've done fine on the food, but the new bag definitely smells off, sort of like chemicals. The last bag had more of a meaty smell. It'll be a 4 1/2 hour round trip to take it back, but the dogs are family and I'm concerned. Has anyone else notice this?

Taste of the Wild response

Sorry to hear about the smell of the food. We are happy to refund you, don't make the drive. Most importantly we want you and the dogs to be happy. Please call us and ask for Product Specialist Holly

Original review: March 16, 2019

We have been giving our 2 cats TOTW for about 4 years. Both cats have started vomiting. I had just opened a new bag of this food. I'm returning this bag and will be buying a different brand. Fortunately, both cats have vet appointments in 3 days. I'm researching alternative dry foods.

Taste of the Wild response

Hope the cats are fine. We are sorry that we didn't hear back from you. Please feel free to call us so we can follow through on our satisfaction guarantee

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Taste of the Wild?

Resolution response: April 11, 2019

Taste of the Wild worked with me and tested the dog food batch at their facility. They found no issues. I am still working with my vet to correct the stool issues.

Original review: March 14, 2019

I have been using Taste of the Wild High Prairie for four years. My dogs are ages 1.5 and 5.5 years. My younger dog started having black and runny stool 10 days ago. My other dog stopped eating his food 2 days ago. Yesterday I noticed he was straining trying to empty his bowels. No luck. The younger started laying 5 feet from her bowl but wouldn't eat. When I started putting the picture together I went into the kitchen and fried a pound of ground beef and mixed it with rice. They inhaled it. For the time being I am making the same recipe with chicken and putting sweet potatoes in both. When I returned home this afternoon my older dog laid by his food bowl and had his paws on either side and looked at me. I knew what he was telling me.

One important piece of information is this was the first 28# bag I have purchased since they eliminated the 30# bag and lowered their price just a tad. I gave a 3 star neutral rating because while I believe it is the dog food you can't be certain. I am returning the bag. But saving a cup for testing. I wish you all the best in taking care of your pets. They are my world and can't imagine losing them prematurely.

Taste of the Wild response

Becca,thanks so much for helping us investigate the batch! We are glad both your furbabies are now well

Original review: March 13, 2019

My dogs have been eating TOTW for years with no adverse conditions. I received a new bag and suddenly one dog was vomiting and had diarrhea. I stopped feeding any of the dry food and switched to cooking chicken, rice, veggies, per vet recommendation. Did this for several weeks, dog recovered, switched back to TOTW. Within days my other dog got so sick we had to go to ER vet. She had inflamed intestinal walls and pancreatitis. She's at home recovering now and I will be making her food from now on.

Taste of the Wild response

We are sorry we didn't hear back from you. I imagine yur veterinarian explained that the overwhelming majority of pancreatitis cases are idiopathic, meaning the cause is unknown. One known cause is getting into the trash and consuming a high fat meal-turkey skin, ham etc. Our food contains the same amount of fat as other kibble available on the market

Original review: March 11, 2019

I am absolutely sick to my stomach over the recent lawsuit about TOTW having more lead content in it than the homes in Flint MI. **. Last year, my previously healthy 2 year, 2 mo old St Bernard succumbed after 3 weeks at the vet getting tested & treated, and my vet bill was over $17K. I am drowning in bills and even worse lost my beloved dog. I will be joining this class action lawsuit.

Taste of the Wild response

So sorry for your loss. Was the diagnosis actually lead poisoning? If so,please know that lead is a heavy metal that is present in metallic, inorganic, and organic forms. Metallic lead is present in firearm ammunition, plumbing hardware, soldering flux, fishing and curtain weights, automotive batteries and wheel weights, radiography shielding, decorative moldings, stained glass, etc. Inorganic lead salts are present in a wide range of products, such as paint pigments, ceramic glazes, plastic stabilizers, industrial effluents, linoleum components, and caulking compounds. In the litigious society, in which we live, anyone can file a lawsuit against anyone, and that's what happened to us. The plaintiff has provided nothing to substantiate their claim, while we have lab results that show there is non-detectable levels of lead and other heavy metals. We are waiting for the judicial system to work, unfortunately that takes time. We are not the only pet food company targeted. Champion Foods recently had their suit, filed in 2018 dismissed. https://www.petfoodindustry.com/articles/7875-heavy-metal-lawsuit-against-champion-petfoods-dismissed. We work with a nationally recognized,independent testing facility that holds the ISO 17025 certification as well as biological and chemical A2LA certifications. The facility conducted tests on our food to check the levels of arsenic, mercury, cadmium and lead. The tests showed “not-detectable” levels for the metals tested.

Original review: March 10, 2019

I have a 8 month old German Pit. I got her when she was 4 months old and she had worms and a very sensitive stomach. I had her on Rachel Ray zero grain and it didn't upset her stomach but she wasn't growing any and wouldn't really eat as much as she should. I switched her to the Bison recipe and she's now eating like she's supposed too and has gained 5-10 lbs since I switched over and is plump and happy now. The only complaint I have is that she will get terrible gas from time to time. Any advice to fix this would greatly appreciated.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I have had both my 5- year old English Cream Golden and my 4-year old Sheep Dog on Taste of the Wild Dog Food their ENTIRE lives. Yesterday my golden had to undergo a $1300 bladder stone removal surgery after $600 in testing, and my 4-year old Sheep Dog just today was diagnosed with Full Kidney Failure and she may be put down tomorrow. My vet is blaming poor dog food (TOTW) for both problems. The worst part is that I thought I was feeding my dogs a quality food when I chose TOTW. Run consumers run!

Taste of the Wild response

Jennifer, thank you for helping us decipher what happened. What a horrible "perfect storm" for both your dogs' and your health.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I recently purchased several cans of the canned food and one can was sealed tight. However when I opened the container I found it to be only half full. Lot no is

59xym2-1242 exp. Date Jul 2021. I purchased the cans from Orscheln in Eldon MO.

Taste of the Wild response

Sorry to hear that. Thank you for providing the identifying batch. We will investigate.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I have had both my labs on TOTW for years now. In the most recent 6 months, the gas being produced by my labs is intolerable. I just took one of my labs to a vet visit last Saturday and she said it could be a change in the recipe of the brand. I am not a happy camper with the changes and my dogs are not eating as well as they were before. They don't get table scraps additional food outside of their kibble. Reading other reviews, CLEARLY there has been some kind of change. I will be switching them to another brand before my dogs end up in ER for gastrointestinal issues or worse.

Taste of the Wild response

Sorry to hear about the gas issue. We have not changed the recipes. For dogs with flatulence, a recipe with fewer protein sources is best. This would be Pacific Stream. A recipe like High Prairie isn't recommended for gassy dogs since it has seven different protein sources, which then must be broken down by the gut.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

My cats loved eating this food so I bought it until I started seeing illness in some adults and kittens. One 10 month old kitten suffered from what seemed like Inflammatory Bowel Disease symptoms which we (my vets and myself) could not cure, and she died (a piece of my heart went with her from this terrible death). An adult mother cat stopped suddenly nursing her 4 month old kittens crying and crying for unknown reasons. She looked swollen but no vets nor myself could figure out why. Nothing worked to solve this swelling problem (not antibiotics, not deworming). After the 10 month old kitten died and this swollen mother cat seemed ill, I changed this dry food. I replaced it with one that I had used before without problems of this sort. The swelling in the mother cat went away and she is doing great now. I cannot in all honesty recommend this food.

Taste of the Wild response

Linda, thanks for sharing that all your vets were perplexed. Your thought of inflammatory bowel disease progressing into autoimmune destruction of the digestive lining, like Crohn's disease, in the 10 month old, may very well been what happened. So glad momma cat has returned to her show condition after the food hypersensitivity was resolved

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

My dogs have been eating this food since June 4, 2019. My female dog is 5 and was recently diagnosed with ADVANCED DCM and a heart murmur. I had no idea the FDA was investigating Limited Ingredient and Grain Free foods until this happened. The cardiologist told me she has so many cases of this. Look up FDA/Grain free, Tufts University and grain free, CVCA website - grain free - I now belong to a group on FB for DCM and there are MANY people who have fed this dog food to their dogs and are suffering the same fate for their family. I will be testing my other dog as well. They often do not show symptoms. If your dog has been eating this or other grain free food get them tested. Some cases can be turned around with nutrition and meds. The company is taking NO responsibility.

Taste of the Wild response
We are so sorry to hear of the DCM diagnosis. Please know, that while the FDA is studying any potential connection between grain-free diets and DCM, no direct links have been made. We are continuing to monitor updated research results from the FDA and researchers and are working with the FDA because our top priority is to provide all pets with quality, safe food that meets all federal and state regulatory guidelines.DCM is much more common in large dogs (greater than 50 pounds) than small dogs.
• According to Dr. John Rush, a veterinary cardiologist, certain breeds such as Great Danes, German shepherds, Irish wolfhounds, Newfoundlands and St. Bernards are at risk, while boxers and Doberman Pinschers are predisposed to the disease. In addition to the above breeds, Cocker spaniels and Portuguese water dogs may also develop forms of the disease.
• In recent research published by Dr. Joshua Stern, DCM in golden retrievers was often associated with taurine deficiency.

• According to Tufts University’s Petfoodology blog, 10 to 15% of dogs will develop some form of heart disease in their lives. Dr. Rush has indicated DCM as the second most common cause of congestive heart failure in dogs

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

This dog food keeps my dogs healthy, alert, with very little body fat, coats are shiny, and they are happy. My English bulldog is not a couch potato because of Taste Of The Wild. I would not feed anything else as far as kibble goes for my dogs, My Pet store always keep s a good variety.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I've been feeding my dog this food for a 3-4 years. He has tolerated it and I've had no interest in changing his food. Recently, the recipe was changed. Unfortunately, I found this out after my dog became ill with pancreatitis. My dog's vet said that this often happens when an older dog's food is changed. My poor baby is very sick and may not survive. I don't recommend this brand.

Taste of the Wild response

So sorry to hear about your dog developing pancreatitis. I wanted to let you know that the recipes have NOT changed. In almost all cases of pancreatitis the etiology (cause) is never determined. However, the classic ingestion of a high-fat meal ( think Thanksgiving turkey with skin and fat and the dog gets in the trashcan) is a well-accepted etiology. Some medications can also cause pancreatitis. TOTW has the same fat content as other commercial dog food recipes. We are happy to speak to your vet, if you would like, so we can clear up any miscommunication/misunderstanding on his/her side. Truly hope your dog pulls through!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I work at a pet boarding facility and we happen to sell this on our shelves. I did a little (not enough) research and thought my dog would love this. He is a 3.5 year old, 80 pound Golden Retriever/German Shepherd mix. Has never been sick aside from kennel cough from the shelter when we adopted him at the age of 1 year old. First, I grabbed a sample bag, which he loved, even our four month old yorkiepoo was raving about the smell. My dog enjoyed it and so I went and purchased the 15 lb bag.

Just over a week later, my dog is not himself. He wouldn’t eat or drink any water. I came home from work one day and he vomited 6 times, pooped inside (he does not EVER have accidents) and wouldn’t even drink water. He threw up a few times prior, but I didn’t think too much of it. Assumed he was adjusting. We went to the vet right after and he was given 4 different medications for GI. The x-rays showed A LOT of gas in his belly. He still barely even interested in rice and chicken. Hasn’t pooped for two days now.

I am usually very particular about what my dogs consume. If I fed this brand to our puppy, I don’t believe he would have been lucky, considering he’s 4 months and about 3 pounds. And I do not even want a response from TOTW! They just write people off and it’s disgusting. Show some genuine concern when your food has been killing dogs. If this food works for your pup, still be precautionary because so have some other dogs who are now in doggy heaven!

Taste of the Wild response
Sorry to hear that. What exactly was your vet’s diagnosis and what medications were prescribed? As far as the source of the gas, most gas is ingested. It may be due to ingestion of air because of an aggressive eating behavior. Dogs can 'wolf' their food and then colic because of the excess ingested gas. Ingested gas is room air (79% nitrogen and 21% oxygen, CO2 and other minor gasses). Nitrogen is poorly soluble, so it sticks around.

Gas may accumulate because of obstruction (foreign body, etc) or because of poor tone. Poor tone may be caused by peritoneal inflammation (such as pancreatitis). I imagine your employer must have good luck with TOTW or they wouldn't sell it. I don't want to trivialize what you and your dog have been through, but we do sell over 40,000 bags a week, so I imagine any issues with the food would result in hundreds, if not thousands, of new reports of sick dogs everyday

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

We have two dogs, 5 and 3, that have eaten Taste of the Wild exclusively since about 2 months old. Over the last few months all of a sudden they are having intermittent vomiting and diarrhea problems. The only thing they eat is Taste of the Wild brand - no table food - with occasional plain yogurt & pumpkin with digestive upset. There have been no changes in their lives. There must be some change in the recipe to be making them sick. What is another brand that may be a similar substitute to switch their diet?

Taste of the Wild response

I am sorry to hear that your dogs are having trouble with intermittent digestive upset. We have a veterinary team that would be happy to talk to you about the situation.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

My dog absolutely loves Taste of the Wild! She loves that there are so many different flavors for her to choose from, and I love that it’s sold at a reasonable price. We like to try the different flavors so she can try different things. I would highly recommend this product to anyone.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I own a wolf hybrid and I will not use any other product for her. Taste of the Wild has quality ingredients that I trust. My dog is happy and healthy thanks to this brand! We have used a ton of different flavors, and use the canned food as well.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I have used Taste of the Wild dog food to supplement home cooked foods for my dogs for years. About a month ago, my schools started having bloody diarrhea and vomiting. I had just purchased a new bag of Taste of the Wild. The dog went to the vet and was diagnosed with pancreatitis. After 2 days with the vet, he came home and has required a lot of care and home cooking. Our second dog then started vomiting excessively (10 times in an hours, not bloody). I removed flea collars from both dogs and washed the dogs. (Collars were a month old, but I wanted to eliminate any possibility.) I put them back on chicken and rice solely. Both got better. I fed a bit of Taste of the Wild the past few days and my Schnoodle is vomiting and lethargic again. What is in this dog food?

Taste of the Wild response

I’m sorry to hear about the pancreatitis. Your vet probably explained that most cases of pancreatitis are idiopathic (cause unknown). One exception to this is the exposure to organophosphates. Depending on which brand of flea collar you used, the collar may be the cause. It takes a good week for the gastrointestinal cells to regenerate after a GI upset, so switching back from a bland diet like you made, too soon, can be too much for the system and result in GI signs again. Nonetheless we would love to be able to do an internal investigation into your batch. We retain samples from each batch and assess them. Please email the production code from the back of the back to CustomerService@tasteofthewildpetfood.com

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I have been feeding my dogs Taste of the Wild for about four years, and now my one dog has DCM. She is a pitbull, which isn't a breed that typically gets this disease. My vet informed me that grain free diets, like Taste of the Wild can lower taurine levels and cause this deadly disease. I hope nobody else has to see their dog in a state of congestive heart failure (she is alive). So I had to switch foods (vets orders), to one that includes grains, and I hope this didn't affect my other dog.

Taste of the Wild response

I’m glad your dog is getting treated. The puzzle regarding taurine and DCM, is unfortunately, far from being solved. Taurine is an amino acid. There is no requirement for dog food to have taurine since people and dogs make it from the amino acid precursors, cysteine and methionine. We add taurine to all of the TOW recipes, so that if a dog has difficulty making or assimilating taurine, it is available for them from the food. I certainly don’t want to trivialize what you and your dog have gone thru but I believe to date out of the 89.7 million dogs in the US, less than 200 have been reported to the FDA

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I have had nothing but a positive experience with this brand. When I adopted my puppy at 16 weeks old, she was underweight and had a tapeworm. We’ve been through the wringer with her digestive issues. She seemed to always have soft stools and stomach gurgling. We went through 3 different brands, some with grain, some grain free and it was always the same - soft smelly stools and still underweight. The tapeworm was gone and the vet said it would just take time for her to put on weight. But something just seemed off to me.

I decided to try a food with no poultry ingredients and started her on the Pacific Steam puppy recipe. Her stools firmed up right away. She was on that for a while, and then we got a sample of the PREY line. Her stools got even better. She has been on the Beef recipe for a few weeks and is doing so well. It’s the first time since we’ve had her that she’s had consistently healthy stools. Her skin biting has stopped too. I will continue feeding this food for a long time!

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

I have a 10 yo Lab and a 2 yo Lab-Chow mix. Both are very high energy dogs and require over 30% protein and at least 18% fat in their diet, or they begin to lose weight like crazy. Being in college, I couldn't afford anything too special, so I had them both on Purina Pro Plan Sport 30/20 ($56 for a 50 lbs. bag) and they were doing well. But I really didn't like that there were so many fillers in it. I had previously tried them on a grain-free food (Wholeheartedly), but they both had gastrointestinal issues, even though I had introduced it slowly.

So I really did my research and I found that TOTW High Prairie was grain-free and had 32% protein. Looking at just the price, it is one of the most affordable grain-free brands. I go through a 30 lbs. bag in about a month between the two of them ($48 at Chewy.com or $46 with autoship). My dogs love the taste so much that my younger dog would spit out the old food and just eat the TOTW as we were transitioning over. I'm very happy with the food quality and my dogs haven't had any issues and LOVE the food.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

We have a Bichon and a Puggle and have been using TOTW lamb for the past 8 months because all other dog food we purchased before affected the Bichon with allergies and it has since cleared up. We just purchased a new bag this week and the dogs are eating like there's no tomorrow. Was there a recipe change on this food recently???

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

We have been feeding our dog Taste of the Wild Sierra Mountain Lamb Formula for 2 years. She has had rare instances of vomiting in the past, including one day where she was sick multiple times. She recovered from that incident and seemed fine. However, this past Monday we needed an emergency vet visit (including tests and x-rays) after we opened a new bag of TOTW Sierra Mountain Lamb Formula and the dog became violently ill. She threw up at least six times and was excessively thirsty (leading to an accident in the house, which has not happened since the week she was adopted 12/2016). Our vet told us after a 2 1/2 hour exam that our dog's GI tract was severely inflamed and we needed to stop her normal diet immediately (not only to give the GI tract a chance to heal, but to stop any possible tainted food from entering her system).

I contacted Taste of the Wild and they continue to insist that there's "no other complaints" in our area with this formula. I offered to send them back a sample of the food and they have not responded at all in my repeat inquiries asking where to send the sample. To top it off, I got a rather rude email from their "vet" Dr. **, who wrote, "it is not uncommon in dogs or people to feel a bit of nausea or disinterest associated with what we or they last ate. I’ve never felt the same about mac and cheese since college." Seriously? This is a person you employ to correspond with customers with sick animals?

My dog may need to be on a bland diet for another 7-10 days and she needs more tests, possibly including an ultrasound. If this is food related, everyone needs to know. And since TOTW won't test the sample, I'm sending it a friend of mine who works to uncover consumer affairs for a national news outlet. They are in a year-long study on byproducts and waste in dog foods and more than willing to test it for me.

Taste of the Wild response

We hope your dog is improving, it sounds like it has been a very stressful time for everyone. We have a list of AAFCO (American Association of Feed Control Officials) approved pet food testing labs we would be happy to provide you if you would like. The reason we don't bring samples of food back into the plants for testing is because of fear of contamination.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I absolute love this brand of food. The Bison formula is where it’s at for my two pooches. Lexi, and Rex my two 3 year old Presa-Canario (brother and sister) has skin allergies. Therefore, I am very picky and careful about what I feed them. A lot of food makes their belly upset, and then they are in and out all night long. But, once I switched Lexi and Rex over to this grain-free Bison formula, they don’t have upset bellies. Although, they prefer the Bison flavour, the store I normally go to (FarmNFleet) was out of the Bison. I did not want to switch the brand, so I tried a different taste. We tried the Salmon... Nope, not for my dogs. They were having accidents left and right, and they never have accidents in the house. So, there goes that, Bison we stay with. :) Thanks Taste of the Wild!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

My cat was having trouble going to the bathroom & I was trying to find a cat food, which was Organic & had No Artificial Preservatives, No Artificial Colors, No Artificial Flavors. That's "NOT" an easy task, for animal or human food, etc.! There are words which mean the above, but the fronts & small print on labels claim to be free of the above. You "ALWAYS" need to "CAREFULLY READ" all ingredients in the "INGREDIENTS LABEL". A Food Ingredients Label should "NEVER CONTAIN" the words "ENRICHED", "BLEACHED", "REDUCED CALORIE" OR "LOW FAT"!

I had come across Taste of the Wild (was using dry food then) & liked the ingredients & bought it (I always bought the big bag, ("WHICH ISN'T LOCATED WITH THE SMALL BAG"). Gave it to my cat & after eating it for a couple of days, started being able to go to the bathroom again. It's higher priced than some brands (but "not as high" as others), but worth the price, if you have the money. Taste of the Wild Dog & Cat Food can be purchased at Tractor Supply. If you do not have one close to you, you could always go to there website & they do have a Facebook page. Thank you to the makers of Taste of the Wild!!

No response received
Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

My dog became very ill eating this food, at first he just quit eating it, so I had the sense to change his food, then it was used as a treat at a Doggie bootcamp, and he became very ill, severe gastroenteritis - what in the hell would do that? Then my son fed his 4 month puppy TOTW puppy food, same thing in just a couple days, took days to switch foods, pumpkin, rice, and chicken to get his inside put back together. What are you putting in that food? My guess would be pesticides? Heavy Metals? Melamine? I have never seen anything like it, it's like slowly poisoning your dog, BEWARE.

Hi,
Sorry to hear about the sick pooches. Please tell me more about your dog-name, breed and age. Has he been eating TOTW for quite some time? Which recipe were you feeding when this happened? As far as your son's puppy, may I have the answers to the same questions as to your dog's? In selling over 40,000 bags of TOTW every day, the last thing we want is for dogs to be ill. We do not add any pesticides, metals or melamine. In fact, the opposite, our suppliers are held to a very high standard. Semis are not able to unload ingredients until we test it upon arrival to our plants. If, after we test, the ingredients are not found worthy, the whole load is rejected.

Dr. Heldman

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

I have had my dogs, and I have 7, on Taste of the Wild Prey Limited Ingredient Angus Beef. I was so excited to see this come into the store. I shop Tractor Supply. I have been buying it weekly since it became available, as it is new, so new Chewy didn't have it when I tried to order it, and have noticed that after I dump the food into my plastic container with sealed lid, in the house. I am finding at least 1 snail in the container. I at first, thought, no way, it's not in the food. How would it survive? But I have consistently gotten a snail in the last 4 or 5 bags!

I am concerned, as I have a boxer with digestive issues and skin issues that me and the vet have been going crazy trying to diagnose, and am now POSITIVE the snail is in the bag of food, that possibly this is what is going on for him. I don't know how snails would affect a dog, or what them crawling around in the bag would do to the food but it really has me upset, as I thought I was giving my dogs the best of the best. I also have been doing research on lentils and heart disease. I have been advised to switch my dog food to something without lentils. By my vet!! I am switching Tuesday. Why oh why can't I find a dog food that is completely great for my dog without having to have a Masters in nutrition. I do know, that I will be emailing Diamond about the snails!!

Hello,
I hope your Boxer is doing better. Sorry to hear about the presence of life in the food.I want to discover the source. Are they slugs or snails? Snails have shells, if that helps. You buy it from Tractor Supply and then, where do you store it once you get it home? Thanks

Dr Heldman