4.56/5
Based on 16 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a good dog food brand?

Last updated: March 15, 2018

16 Nature's Variety Dog Food Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 15, 2018

As said, although balanced with AAFCO standards, definitely doesn't use human grade, in my or our concerns, LAMB that I buy from PETCO, but still appreciate that PETCO does bring in some frozen raw food. Here on OAHU, we can't get organs of grass fed... (hate to use species name, as lamb, because of slaughter) animals, in general. I bought a $500 meat grinder and it works good, as it weighs 60 lbs, but only used it 4, 5 times. I just give her, my 5 yrs old Golden Retriever, intact female, the racks of lambs and just comparing her liking of both foods, Instinct vs Whole Foods racks of lambs, using fresh greens, chopped small, oils such as flaxseed, seven sources, pumpkin seeds, sprouted, raw, unsalted, and chopped fine with a little grinder from Macy's, it's obvious that she'LL go for the racks of lambs at $20 lb as when I give her Instinct lamb, she only eats it if it's frozen still, not thawed, even after the beach activity usually done 3, 4 times weekly.

I know as I've always taken my Goldens to beaches, being water dogs, and me, I like all of you, esp being experienced with ocean activities, after beach activity done for the day, you are hungry, as sounds is the dog. Running, swimming, in Ocean water gets any living mammal very hungry. BUT, if my dog veers away from food I take 45 minutes to prepare, of course I am not happy, and she remains hungry. Why doesn't she like it? Simple answer, being that the quality of meat used. Do you think dog food companies use human grade, towards higher qualities of meat, in their brands? I highly doubt that. Cheaper ingredients, better profits. Still, I need to sometimes use it, because I cannot BALANCE it with my homemade raw. Still, I need to give her both, I feel. Still, thanks to PETCO for bringing it in.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

Nature's Variety Dog Food has real meat & fish. It is grain free, inexpensive and great taste & great nutrition. It's all natural and fortified with vitamins & minerals to support dog's mental & physical health. It prevents taste fatigue and smells good. It has a good texture. My dog loves it. The only thing I would improve is greater variety & add different sizes of dry food to cover small dogs.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

I like the price of this dog food. I like that it can be found at a variety of stores and that it's always in stock. My pet loves it. However, I would like if it was more natural, filled with vitamins and more healthy. I would also prefer if coupons more readily available and if the dog food was more meat based.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

I like that it is grain free, all natural and minimally processed. I also like that my dog loves it and feels better because I feed her this food. It is dog food that is meant for dogs and the way dogs are suppose to eat. My dog eats this stuff up. I usually have to add toppings but not with this dog food. A lower price though would be nice or more sales and promotions. I would also like to see a little more variety.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

Overall, it is the best on the market considering what's out there. I really like this brand and my dog really enjoys eating this brand. He had good taste. I believe that every dog and dog owner should be eating and feeding their dogs this brand of dog food.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nature's Variety Dog Food?

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

Nature's Variety has not only bite sized pieces, but it has more natural ingredients as well as actual freeze-dried pieces of meat and vegetables in the dog food, which means I am confident my dog will have all the nutrients he needs.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I usually change brands a lot as far as dog food is concerned. The main reason I end up getting Nature's Variety is because of its price and the fact that thus far it hasn't actually caused an upset stomach in my dog. My dogs seem to like the food and it isn't too expensive. They have solid ingredients that don't seem to cause any harm to my dogs and the smell is strong with solid texture. Dogs enjoy munching down on this. So far, they also seem to have more than enough as far as flavors are concerned.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

I like everything about Nature's Variety dog food. I like that it is actually made with real ingredients and not by-products. The top two ingredient that they include are duck and chicken, which are foods that my dog enjoys very much. However, many of their products include canola oil, which I'm not the biggest fan of feeding to my dog.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

This brand was recommended to us by our veterinarian. I was satisfied with what this brand offers. It fits my dog's special diet which is only able to consume certain types of meats like fish and lamb. The smell was also typical for my dog's food and she absolutely loved the taste. I liked how the packages are easy to find in the pet store as well. However, the price is just a little high, but I would purchase this brand again. And If the brand was more affordable, I would be more inclined to purchase frequently.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

Nature's Variety Dog Food has real ingredients and is better for my dog than other varieties. The texture of the food is hard, but it doesn't smell bad. My dog seems to love this food and prefers it over other varieties. It has natural ingredients that I feel are good for my dog's health. It isn't mainly corn-based and it's not just filler food. I also like the packaging. It's unique and different. I like the flavor varieties too and I wish they would make more in the future.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

I like that Nature's Variety Dog Food's price is competitive with other brands. The bags are also easy to spot and my dog seems to enjoy the food. I like how there is different size options in bag size. I also like how there are a variety of flavors and I'm sure my dog does, too. You should buy this food because it's affordable, healthy, and dogs love it. This dog food is also made from quality ingredients.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

Nature's Variety Dog Food is natural and wholesome. I chose it because it had nice branding and I'd seen commercials for it before. I liked the commercials I had seen because it showed all of the ingredients and it was very transparent. It had real meat and real vegetables in it. My dog seemed to really like it. It smelled like good dog food. It even smelled good to me. However, it was a little expensive which is common with wholesome, natural dog foods. It was worth the price to me, though, because I don't like the synthetic dog food.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

Quality is good. My dog loves it and asks for it all time. It's good for him. It's super delicious for my dog, with different flavours, smells too good and texture is awesome. I think all the pets love this brand. Not sure about other dogs but as per mine this brand is perfect. It's hundred percent like on this.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

My dog loves Nature's Variety Dog Food over any other brand. It's good for him and balances him out. The dog food smells delicious and not like normal dog food. It almost smells good enough for my family to eat. I like that the brand uses all natural items and is healthy for dogs. My dog enjoys this food and never has an issue with eating all that I give him. However, it would be nice to have some more vitmans in the food for dogs. My dog is most important to the family and me and we would love for him to have things in his diet that help keep him healthy and safe for plenty of years to come.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I had been trying different brands and this was one of many that I bought for my dogs to try tried. My dogs appeared to enjoy it. But I find it expensive and because of that I would probably not buy it again.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

A high quality, grain-free dog food made with real ingredients and whole foods for healthy dogs of any age. All protein sources were good. Small crunchy bites that are easy to chew. It also doesn't smell bad and my dog enjoys it. Price is also not too high for the good quality provided. It was worth it. I most certainly would recommend to anyone with dogs looking for a quality dog food.

Nature's Variety Dog Food expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Nature's Variety is an independently owned pet food company that makes its own pet food using all natural ingredients. It offers a variety of pet foods to support different diets that dogs may need to follow for their health.

• Raw food options: Nature's Variety offers a line of raw food products for dogs. If your vet recommends such a diet, Nature's Variety is a great option.

• Grain-free option: If you'd rather your dog follow an all-natural diet, you can get grain-free foods from this company.

• Owners are also pet owners: Nature's Variety owners also own dogs and never sell products they wouldn't use with their own pets.

• Meat and fish-based protein: Your dogs will get all the high-quality protein they need to keep their muscles healthy.

• Free of corn, wheat, soy and other genetically modified foods: There are no GMOS in any of Nature Variety's products.

• Best for: Healthy active dogs, puppies and dogs that are pregnant or lactating.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
    Dr. Ken Tudor

Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Nature's Variety Dog Food Company Information