2. Pets

Shop your favorite brands on Chewy.com

Shop now
Shop Now on Chewy

Merrick Cat Food Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Merrick Cat Food?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Merrick Cat Food?

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

I changed to Merrick adult cat food in attempts to give our Cali a better quality food but during the 4 or 5 days she was fed this brand she kept vomiting. Now occasionally she would vomit but this was consistently after each time she ate this particular brand. At first I thought it was because she was eating too much so I decreased the quantity, then thought she was eating too fast but she refused to eat it after the 4th or 5th day. I gave her real chicken for one day to be sure it wasn't upset stomach, parasites or something and she kept it down so figured I'd try another brand. She ate the new one, with no problems, hasn't vomited once so it had to be the Merrick brand, not sure what it is but hopefully they'll look into it.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

I had a hard time for a few weeks to get the specialty flavors my finicky cat will eat and it was frustrating enough that I called the company. During the course of our conversation I found out one of those flavors was discontinued (to my dismay), and the other was out of stock. Then the customer service rep said that from time to time they like to change things up and also had updated some recipes to add more gravy. I questioned why they would do that. It seemed like they were adding gravy to the detriment of the actual meat because how would they fit it in the can otherwise. She assured me the other two flavors I was used to buying had not changed.

Well... when I got my regular delivery of the only flavor actually available at the time I noticed two things. The can is lighter weight and thinner. When I opened it, contrary to what I had been told, there was way more gravy in this formula, and my cat promptly threw it up. I mean projectile. She hasn’t done that in ages and has thrown this up several times. I have to feed her in quarter portions now to avoid that. I’m really disappointed. Looking for a replacement now, and what I’ve found for my 16 year old picky cat is Instinct which is more expensive. Almost twice as much. I’d wish Merrick had charged a little more instead of deciding to skimp on product. But since they’ve been bought by Purina/Nestlé (who claim that Merrick will be run independently... eye roll) I’m going to go with another brand. Nestlé is a water thief, and I’m already boycotting their other products, so as much as I’ve been a Merrick fan for over a decade, I’m prepared now to walk away.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

My first clue something might be up was when it took my local co-op 2 weeks to get my usual case of this cat food. I switch off every 2 days with another kind of cat food, so I bought 3 cans at Petco to tide them over. That's when I discovered it now comes in aluminum cans! The ingredient list is longer, but not a lot different from what I've been able to discern so far. My 3 rather finicky cats all still like it, so changing would be difficult, but I'm not happy about the aluminum cans.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2019

Purchased at Petco because it was discontinued and price reduced. Thought I was getting a good deal on a quality cat food. I have 5 cats rescued from a colony from one abandoned pregnant cat. I have never cleaned up so much vomit! I blame the food.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

We have been feeding our 2 cats Merrick their whole lives. Recently, within the last couple of weeks, my 8 year old has decided that he doesn't like their wet food, and he's not so keen on the dry food either. My 14 year old (who is very active) will still eat it but they are not as anxious about eating it as they had been. I know the formula changed. I can see it when I open the can. It doesn't look as natural and it is a different consistency than it used to be.

In the beginning, you could open a can and see carrots and peas inside but now it looks like processed food. I read where Nestle bought out Merrick last year. Of course they changed things. I'm not a fan of Nestle because of their CEO saying things like "water is a privilege and not a right." And I boycott Nestle as much as possible. I stuck with Merrick because they had integrity and it was a good product. Now it's one more Nestle thing I am not going to be buying. I can't imagine how many other upset consumers there are over Merrick changing everything.

Original review: April 13, 2019

My 2 yr old cat has been eating Merrick Cat Food since I adopted him 2 yrs ago and eats 4 or 5 flavors of the grain free pâte. He always looks forward to his meals but these past 2 weeks he’s been turning his nose up!!! The last time a cat that I had did this, the food company had been taken over by another owner. And, obviously changed the formula. Something tells me Merrick has changed the ingredients or quality of the food too. Why would they be so foolish to do this? If it’s not broken, don't fix it!!

Another thing I observed is, the food was filled to the brim in every can and in the past 8 mo. it is missing a good 3 tablespoons of the product. And an air bubble is on the bottom of the food with a brown silver dollar sized flap of something indescribable stuck to the bottom of the can. Very weird!! I called customer service to complain about this odd finding and they sent me a voucher for a free flat (24 ct.) of canned food. But this doesn’t please me that it won’t solve the problem. My cat and I used to be happy, but all that has changed. It’s too expensive of a product to be skimping on the quantity and the quality. Time to look for another company with good integrity.

Original review: April 2, 2019

I've been purchasing this product since it replaced the previous 'New England Boil'. The quality has gone downhill since then. The batches are very hit or miss. Some batches are fine, others (most lately) are 2/3 water. They say that they want feedback, but nothing has changed in the past year. I'm trying to get my cat to eat something else, but he is, unfortunately, extremely finicky.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Pet store recommended Merrick about 6 months ago over another brand because he said they were a better company and made better food. I believe this WAS true since my dog and cat both started eating better after the switch. We buy food about every 2 months, so 2 months ago cat was still eating fine, but with this new batch, my cat is refusing to eat it. I tried switching to a different formula "minimal ingredient recipe" and still he won't touch it. Just found out the company sold out by reading these reviews. Obviously something has changed and not for the better. On with the search for a better product. Might have to start adding my animals to my grocery budget and just start feeding them from the kitchen if a company can't stay pure!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

My cat has been raw-fed since he was a kitten (he is now 2 years), but when I am traveling I buy the best quality canned food I can find and transition him over in the week before I leave. I made a 2 week trip in August 2018 (my cat LOVES road trips), and I bought an entire flat of Purrfect Bistro Chicken Pate from my local pet store (he's a big cat - he eats 8-12 oz per day, depending on his activity). He was eating it for 2 weeks no problem. On the very last day, mid-morning, my cat became VIOLENTLY ill. Constant diarrhea and vomiting. It was eventually just clear fluids coming out both ends, very scary. He was lethargic and isolating himself hunched up in a corner. I took him to the emergency vet: he had a fever and was mildly dehydrated. We did a bunch of tests which came back fine, but they kept him for 3 nights on IV because he wouldn't eat anything.

The vet suggested an allergy to his food, which I didn't think made sense since he had been eating it for nearly 2 weeks and was fine, though he did have a runny poop the day before. I thought he had gotten into something poisonous while we were stopped at a rest-stop. To be safe, I stopped giving him the Merrick and fed him a grocery store brand that had good ingredients until I could switch him back to raw (after he was through all the antibiotics etc.). He was great for months (good appetite/good poops).

Two days ago, I was looking at the 1/3 of a case of canned Merrick I had left, and thought - maybe I can see if he will eat this again, so it doesn't go to waste. I trialed him with 1/2 a can (~3oz). Within 2 hours he had pure liquid diarrhea. Now, I'm not a vet, but I am a scientist, and that kind of cause-effect seems pretty clear. I will NEVER feed my cat this crap again. NOT WORTH THE RISK.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

This food is not good. I do not know what they are putting in it, but my cat has lost quite a bit of weight and is now very underweight. I also found from Amazon reviews that other people's cats have been losing weight on this food to the point of starvation, which I feel is also happening to my cat, and she eats constantly. I also purchase from Amazon and realized other people are having similar problems with weight loss. I couldn't figure out why she was losing weight. It is very crumbly and gives my cat bad breath, and gets all over her face and stays there. She was a very happy cat and now is very lethargic and tired. I am changing her food immediately, after realizing she has lost weight with this, even though she eats constantly. Bad food. I don't know what Purina is pulling, but it is not good.

Merrick Cat Food Company Information