3.87/5

Need help choosing a cat food brand?

Kirkland Cat Food

Need help choosing a cat food brand?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Kirkland Cat Food Reviews

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

I’ve used Costco dry cat food for years. And all the cats liked it. However, At this time I have nine rescue cats. Not one will touch the food. I don’t understand what is wrong. I see from other reviews that people are having the same issue. Kirkland: you need to be aware of this problem!!!!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

Over the years I have fostered hundreds of cats and kittens. Almost every one has been eating Kirkland Cat Kibble. They all like it and my two resident cats have a healthy, shiny coat and have been eating it for years. They rarely get hairballs and I credit the good quality food along with several bowls of fresh filtered water around the house.

Get expert buying tips about Cat Food delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: July 13, 2018

I've been feeding all cats - indoor and outdoor - Kirkland Maintenance cat food for probably three or four years. They seem to do fine. The reason I'm writing this review is that about a year ago, a stray cat appeared on my door. He was clearly thin and his fur was also thin. I wondered if he was sick but he ate the food that I leave out for all the strays and ferals. I noticed this morning how thick his coat is and he is doing really well. I have to attribute it to what he is eating because he still lives outside and that is a hard life. I have more cats inside that I can handle so bringing him inside isn't an option. I did have him neutered.

Original review: April 8, 2018

I have been using Kirkland cat food for a couple years but this last bag I believe is making my cats sick. They ate it with no problems initially but now they have stopped eating it and seem very stiff and lethargic, and have started to lose weight. Anyone else? Will take them to Vet now.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

I purchased three bags of Kirkland Maintenance Cat Super Premium Chicken and Rice from Costco a while ago - expiration date is June of 2018. My two cats "dug in" (they seemed to like the change), however, a couple of days later they started to not eat the food. I noticed my black cat started to lose weight at the same time (I cannot say if it is a coincidence or not). Anyway, the black cat (looks like "Socks") lost some weight and I lost him last night. If anyone can come back with information I would appreciate it. I don't think the grey cat is having any problems, however, I don't want to lose him as well.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kirkland Cat Food?

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

I purchased Nature's Domain Canned Cat Food at Costco. It does not say made for Kirkland so I assume it is the name on the can that needs to know this. I liked that it was organic and had good ingredients. However, when I gradually introduced it to my 3 cats of various ages from the first taste they would not eat it. I mean even mixed with their current food they would not touch it. I don't like returning items so I gave some of the cans to a friend with 2 cats. Her cats would not touch it either. Neither my cats or hers are fussy eaters so it was surprising that they would not touch this food. I would love to know why. I am donating it to a shelter but I hope I am not giving them a bad product.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

My cat likes Kirkland a lot and they can be fussy. It is affordable, the price is reasonable and it's convenient to buy in bulk. It has a good value for the money. On the other hand, I don't like the nutrition of the food. The ingredients are not the best and I'd like it to have better ingredients and be formulated for their needs. Other than that, it is a reliable and convenient product and I would recommend it.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

Our cats enjoy Kirkland Cat Food more than others. With other products, I see the cats throwing up on occasion, but not with Kirkland brand. It offers a variety of food types. It is affordable and since we have so many cats, we need the large size that is available at Costco. It has a good value. However, this brand is only available at Costco so it is not always convenient and sometimes I may prefer to get a smaller amount due to finances, but that is not available. I would tell my friends that our cats enjoy this brand. They come running when they heard one of us pouring the product into the feeding tray.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

My cat seems to love the brand and seems easy to eat and digest. My cat loved the taste and the small kibble and does not have any digestive issues as have happened with other foods. My cat has had vomiting/diarrhea and not wanting to eat in the past, but never on this food. I also like the price and availability. It is an inexpensive brand that can be picked up at many retailers.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

It is cost effective and my cats liked it. Plus it was convenient to get at the time. But it is not a grain free food. I prefer a more high quality cat food for my cats so it wasn't quite what I expected. Usually Kirkland brands are fine but I do wish that they would carry some of the brand name cat foods that are grain-free.

Kirkland Cat Food expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Kirkland knows cat owners sometimes worry about the food they give their four-legged friends, which is why it developed a food that meets a cat's special nutritional need using ingredients that cat owners can trust.

• Contains probiotics: Probiotics provide good bacteria that live in the digestive system, and they help keep cats healthy by balancing out the bad bacteria.

• Human grade: Kirkland cat probiotics are all human-grade, which means they are processed under strict human-grade standards and are free of harmful pathogens and other contaminants.

• Specially designed formula: Kirkland Cat Chicken and Rice Formula is designed to meet the special nutritional needs of cats. It also has a balanced amount of protein and fat to keep a cat's body in top condition.

• Indoor cat formula: Indoor cats can become overweight, which is why Kirkland Signature Super Healthy Weight Indoor Cat Formula helps indoor cats keep at a healthy weight with a lean body condition.

• For different stages: Kirkland Cat Food products are balanced for all life stages, which means they are suitable for kittens and adult cats.

• Best for: Active cats, cats who need probiotics and cats who may be overweight.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
      Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Kirkland Cat Food Company Information