2. Pets

Save 30% on your first autoship

Shop your favorite brands on Chewy.com

Shop now

Kirkland Cat Food Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kirkland Cat Food?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kirkland Cat Food?

Original review: Sept. 18, 2020

I bought this cat food for our 13 yr old cat who was seemingly healthy. He didn't like it, but I thought he would get used to it. A few months later he was vomiting bloody liquid and we rushed him to the vet. She tested his organs and said everything appeared good and said it was his diet. Because of the extreme problem, he wouldn't eat and they suspected more of an issue so did more tests. It appeared we were going to have to put him down as they explored the origin, suspecting cancer. After "jump starting" his appetite, using anti-nausea pills and meds to keep his stomach acid reduced, we finally got him started on another diet. He is recovering, but it was a very expensive lesson that won't be repeated.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2020

I have been feeding Kirkland Signature Maintenance Cat Chicken and Rice Cat food for years now without any issues at all. I have two cats that are hearty eaters and generally not picky. I put the food in their storage bin and they feed at will. I purchased a bag recently when the bin was getting low and added. I found it odd that the food was going down extremely slow compared to regular. Then about 2 weeks ago our usually very shy male cat was very lethargic and had made a mess outside of the litter box. Inside the litter box there was a mess as well. He had diarrhea and was not feeling well. I thought maybe he had a virus cause he seemed a little better the next couple of days.

My female cat which has been looking a little chunky lately is clearly loosing weight. Both cats have lost a lot of weight of late and are not eating this food. Then today another incident and mess. I was ready to take the male to the vet since it seems that there maybe something more than a virus at work here. Then on a whim I googled Kirkland Cat food problems and found that I was not alone on the same issues with this food. A BAD BATCH!! I dumped what was left of this food which was most of the bag and am contacting Costco to inform them. Sadly I didn't keep the bag which has the date code on it.

Get buying tips about Cat Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2020

I switched to this food about a month and a half ago and I noticed my cats not eating it as much and only when they were actually hungry unlike any other food they have ever had. Being a former vet tech I attributed it to the better ingredients than in the pet store foods. Fast forward to this week and a new bag of food - 3 of my adult cats are vomiting, lethargic, diarrhea and so far it’s cost $1500 in vet bills and a week's worth of stress with a new cat getting sick every other day. The ONLY THING THEY ALL EAT THE SAME IS THIS FOOD. This is a BAD BATCH!!! After seeing other owners having this same issue this food needs to be recalled!!!!

Original review: July 17, 2020

8 cents a day per cat is very affordable. The cats love it, and most of the filler isn't bad for them. Lots of protein too. It's a dry food, but our cats drink tons of water so we aren't worried about that.

Original review: July 16, 2020

I have used Kirkland Super Premium Maintenance Cat Food for years with no problems. My own cats and strays have thrived. The bag I purchased in June looked a little different in color. When served to my cats, they refused to eat it until they were very hungry. Thinking they were just picky with a new bag, I continued to feed. I have even mixed it wet food which they will eat but their coats have become dull, they are listless and losing weight. Even the opossum that comes at night has refused the food. I hate to think there is a bad batch of food out there in the middle of this pandemic (or any other time either) that is making our animals sick.

Original review: July 2, 2020

Cats shouldn't eat foods with grains or by products. Our oldest cat had all kinds of skin issues his entire life and when we finally switched him, he was like a whole new cat. Our only cat now has eaten this food for years. It is much more affordable than other brands, being under the Kirkland label, but seems to have all the benefits of costlier versions.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

My two outdoor/indoor male cats grew up on this kibble, augmented with wet food, and used to love it. In October, 2019, I bought 3 x 25 lb bags at my nearest Costco store. In the last month or so, I noticed that one of the boys especially was losing lots of weight. I started to watch what they're eating more closely. I was very concerned about the younger adult cat who is dropping weight fast. The boys used to love their kibble and I always have a large bowl out where they can eat what they want. I noticed over the past couple of weeks that they are avoiding their Kirkland kibble. And yet, I also noticed that they are both hungry and finish their wet food down to the bare dish. I started to feed them both more of this, and they were doubling or tripling the daily amount that used to be an addition to the kibble.

I realized that they were both, and especially the one dropping weight, starving! They prefer to eat nothing than the kibble they once loved! I've now put their Kirkland kibble into a smaller bowl and measure in 1 cup at a time so I can see if they're eating any of it. The answer is, almost not at all. I called Kirkland in Seattle, and they told me, nothing has changed in the content of the cat food, and none of it has been recalled. Still, there you are: my two large male cats would rather starve than eat it, and both have become more lethargic. I am going to take the food I have left back to Costco and I'll have to find another brand somewhere else, as all Costco sells in cat food is this dry Kirkland brand. I always liked the recipe, which starts with "chicken" -- No 1, meaning most of it is meat, not corn meal or rice etc. However, since the cats can't tolerate it anymore, I think there's something wrong with it now.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

I have been using Kirkland chicken and rice kibble for years. The last bag I bought seemed ok but my older cat started to become lethargic. Would not eat. My younger cat started vomiting after eating it. I threw out the food. Am bringing the older to the vet and am switching brands for the younger. Has anybody else experienced this recently?

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

I’ve used Costco dry cat food for years. And all the cats liked it. However, At this time I have nine rescue cats. Not one will touch the food. I don’t understand what is wrong. I see from other reviews that people are having the same issue. Kirkland: you need to be aware of this problem!!!!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

Over the years I have fostered hundreds of cats and kittens. Almost every one has been eating Kirkland Cat Kibble. They all like it and my two resident cats have a healthy, shiny coat and have been eating it for years. They rarely get hairballs and I credit the good quality food along with several bowls of fresh filtered water around the house.

Kirkland Cat Food author review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Kirkland knows cat owners sometimes worry about the food they give their four-legged friends, which is why it developed a food that meets a cat's special nutritional need using ingredients that cat owners can trust.

• Contains probiotics: Probiotics provide good bacteria that live in the digestive system, and they help keep cats healthy by balancing out the bad bacteria.

• Human grade: Kirkland cat probiotics are all human-grade, which means they are processed under strict human-grade standards and are free of harmful pathogens and other contaminants.

• Specially designed formula: Kirkland Cat Chicken and Rice Formula is designed to meet the special nutritional needs of cats. It also has a balanced amount of protein and fat to keep a cat's body in top condition.

• Indoor cat formula: Indoor cats can become overweight, which is why Kirkland Signature Super Healthy Weight Indoor Cat Formula helps indoor cats keep at a healthy weight with a lean body condition.

• For different stages: Kirkland Cat Food products are balanced for all life stages, which means they are suitable for kittens and adult cats.

by Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Kirkland Cat Food Company Information