2. Pets

Iams Dog Food

Iams Dog Food
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.60/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

P&G Pet Care exists to enhance the health and well being of more dogs and cats. For over fifty years, Iams has supported a team of Pet Care professionals who handle consumer questions and concerns. This team, which includes pet nutrition experts and veterinary technicians, is thoroughly trained on our products, the science behind them and general pet nutrition.

Iams Dog Food Reviews

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

My dogs started having tummy problems soon after we noticed a change in our Iams lamb and rice formula. My dogs have been vomiting, having diarrhea, and now are up with horrible, painful gas all night. Looking at Iams Facebook page, I can see they have been aware of a possible issue since September of 2017, but have not issued a recall. Others have changed food brands and had success in getting health back to their pups. I recommend not feeding Iams to your dogs until Iams gets this disaster figured out!!!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

We purchased a new bag of Iams puppy food and started giving it to our dog. By Friday he began acting lethargic and by Saturday he has begun throwing up. After seeing all the other bad reports on here I have taken my dog off of this and started Whole Earth farms food hoping to solve this problem. Our dog also had a bad spell in August of throwing up and diarrhea and wondering if it was also connected to the food. We have been feeding our pup Iams puppy for 4 months.

Updated on 11/28/2017: I had posted a review on Iams food back on Oct 15 and I just wanted to give an update. After taking my puppy off of Iams and switching to another brand he became almost immediately better. The throwing up and diarrhea and lethargy all came to an end. I truly believe the Iams puppy was making him ill. I am afraid to think what would have happened had we not switched his dog food in time. I urge anyone that is currently feeding their dog this to please read this and take your dog off this food if you see problems. My puppy that was so sick when eating this food is now a happy playful puppy and thriving after switching to a new dog food brand.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

I had a very bad experience with Iams Dog Food. My 8 month old puppy has been eating it since she was two months old. Suddenly she got very ill. She started throwing up, had bad diarrhea and was constantly licking her paws!! It took me two days to realize it may be the new bag of Iams dog food we purchased. I decided to Google Iams dog food causing diarrhea and vomiting... I couldn't believe what I was reading. I immediately got rid of the Iams and purchased Blue Dog Food. She couldn't be doing better. Please if you feed your dogs Iams stop!!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

My dog was diagnosed with Inner and outer ear infection which was secondary. He was diagnosed with a food allergy after practically making his own paws bleed for chewing them so much, and never being settled. He has never been on any other food, other than Iams puppy and adult food. He's now on day 4 of prescription diet and he is considerably better!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I have used Iams dog food with my dogs since they was puppies which is going on 13 year. This past time I bought it something changed. In September they started throwing up and having severe diarrhea. After reading on this site others having the same issues I bought a different brand and it stopped. Please if you are feeding the mini chunks stop. My elderly dogs have been very sick and I would want anyone to lose their pets over this food. I think it's this food off the shelf and give people their money back. I just bought a 50lb bag but I won't be buying it anymore.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Iams Pet Foods?

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

PLEASE, if you have any doubts about this food, stop using it immediately. Return it and call IAMS. I purchased this food and it smelled fine and my dogs seemed to love it. After introducing this food, my dogs were pretty gassy, which we thought was normal for a food change. Then, within a week there was vomiting, violent diarrhea, diarrhea included leg paralysis and blood in the stool. It started with my 6 year old and I didn't make the connection. When my younger dog developed the symptoms I realized what was wrong, stopped the food, introduced rice and then a limited ingredient food, and they seem to be on the mend.

Unfortunately, I also fed this food to my older dog and have serious concerns that it accelerated his death. He died while all of this was happening. PLEASE, if you have any doubts about this food, stop using it immediately. Return it and call IAMS. I contacted IAMS and they were concerned. I haven't heard back from their product safety team.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

My healthy German Shepherd dog died last Wednesday after feeding IAMS Proactive Large Breed Dog Food from Costco. I have fed it to her for 10 yrs with no problems. She was a healthy female competing in Utility Obedience. After opening a new bag, She began diarrhea and vomiting. Called on 8/28/17 and asked IAMS if they had anyone complaining about vomiting and diarrhea with their dogs. The women said no, but they had changed the ingredients and sometimes that upsets the dogs stomachs... I looked at the bag and there is no reference to any change. I said , "Why don't you alert the consumer." She said that was a good iidea and would mention it and would send me two coupons for more dog food. The dog food had two different colors of kibbles which the past dog foods didn't.

After about 5-6 days of being on 4 different medicines and I/D dog food from the vet. She got better for 2 weeks while eating only I/D Food. I took her back for the follow up and to do 2nd blood test with my vet. Back to normal again... While not eating the IAMS, only I/D food... I was told that I could reintroduce dog food back into her diet so I gradually did that and was out of town for 3 days. My dog stayed at the dog sitters and was eating the IAMS mixed with the I/D, because IAMS said it was fine. When I came home, She had developed another round of diarrhea and vomiting and wouldn't eat the food anymore. Went to the vet and came home with the same medicines as before only to find her dead. I am having an Autopsy to figure out exactly what happened. But every thing is pointing to the IAMS DOG FOOD Large Breed Green Bag Sept 2018 722D1NEA03 15:25 US30940.

10/5 I called IAMS a second time, to tell them she had died and asked again... If they had any reports on dogs dying, having diarrhea or vomiting? Again they said no. I was beginning to feel I had been lied to, when a friend from the GSD club directed me to this site. It confirmed the lies. Had they been honest from the beginning with the reports that I see in this consumer report, I would never had reintroduced the dog food that they said had just some more fruit and vegetables added to it. I need answers now.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

My little dog as recommended by the vet has ate only Iams Dry Mini Chunks all her life. Well we got a bag. It looked different but we didn't think much of it. Well we do now. Within hours dog is throwing up. The way she went after this dog food to eat literally scared my husband and myself. She started eating it like the company had put something in it to attract a dog's appetite. I will be calling my vet again today. Please I have the whole bag if you need testing. Help the innocent animals.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

I have a 10 year old ole English bulldog who has been eating IAMS ProActive dog dry dog food for several years. I bought her a new bag recently and like others have noticed there are 2 different kind of chunks in it now. Light and dark, not just light. She started throwing up right after eating it. I just thought her stomach was upset because she hadn't eaten all day and drank a lot of water really fast. After day 3 of throwing up, she doesn't want to eat her dog food. I started to google IAMS and dogs throwing up and then I seen this page. She is doing like all the other dogs. Licking her paws more than usual and throwing up and wanting to drink a lot of water. I am taking her off this dog food tonight. Seems they have done a formula change that is making several dogs sick.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

I contacted IAMS this past December 2016 because we had just fed our healthy Bella IAMS dog food. There was absolutely nothing wrong with her. The next morning we woke up and she had thrown all of her food up and she was dead. We were absolutely devastated. My husband is a Gulf War Veteran Army Ranger and she was his baby and he cried for months. I contacted IAMS and they had very little concern. We are still mourning her untimely death. We took her body to the vet and he found pieces of something all in her throat. She was 4 years old and healthy. The reason for this late post is because just two days ago now my cousin's dog is very sick from eating IAMS dog food. He got them off of IAMS immediately and now they are doing better. I may not have scientific proof but there is something wrong with IAMS dog food. Stay away from it, for the sake of your dog's life. They are family not just dogs.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

My dog has always had Iams dog food without problems until the recipe changed. The new canned ProActive Health Pate with chicken and whole grain rice makes my dog sick. I noticed it was drier, grainier and a darker color than the older version. My dog threw it up the first time after eating. I thought it was because she ate it too fast. Three months later she started throwing up every six days and had diarrhea. She was also licking her paws more frequently. The veterinarian gave her medication and said if it continued, tests would need to be done. I saw the reviews and stopped feeding her Iams. Two days later the diarrhea stopped. No vomiting, diarrhea and paw licking for the past week since being off Iams. I returned the unused cans to the store. I am keeping all store receipts to prove I purchased the product and all veterinarian bills if needed. No more Iams for my dog.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

I have two Jack Russell terriers, I have been feeding my 15 year old dog Iams mini chunks his whole life. I have a 2 year old who is also on the mini chunks. The two year old has been vomiting, blood in his stool and now allergies. He has licked his paws raw. Spent 500 at the vet and no cure. Just realized that the packaging of the mini chunks changed from 1-6 years to 1+ years and the chunks are two different shades of brown, one light and one dark. It is around the time we purchased this last 15 lb bag that our younger dog started getting sick. Now I noticed that my 15 year old dog is also licking his paws. It is obvious they are changing the formula and mixing the old and new food together hoping it goes unnoticed. After looking at all the other complaints over the last few months I am convinced this is the issue.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

I have 3 small dogs, a Westie, Yorkie and Chihuahua. They have been on Iams Small Chunks for small breeds. This food has made all three dogs sick. My westie has been vomiting, mud puddle diarrhea along with blood in the stool. The other two have very loose stool as well. I had changed their food back to Iams after experiencing the same issue with BB canned dog food. At this point, I don't feel safe giving them any type of dog food. What is going on with these companies and the food? Is the whole dog food industry making contaminated food? Something has to be done. Worried to death for my furry kids.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

We tried Iams for the first time. We started to slowly mix with our dog's previous food and from the first meal she started to get sick. We thought it might just be the new food but after 4 days she is still having diarrhea and not feeling well. I returned what we bought to Sam's Club and exchanged it for her old brand. Hopefully she gets back to full health soon. We have a vet appointment tomorrow.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

First time purchase of IAMS Proactive Health Minichunks Dog Food 30 lb. bag. Ten year old Corgi Blue Heeler mix dog exhibited uncontrollable diarrhea within 12 hrs of first feeding. Later diarrhea over next few days developed into blood red liquid that repeated every few hours. Dog admitted to local animal clinic and hospital for two days on IV for dehydration and multiple medications for what the vet diagnosed as severe Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis (HGE). We almost lost this animal and have an expensive vet bill to follow. This was a very stressful event for us that required lost work days to babysit a very sick animal. Gibson is doing much better now. No more IAMS for us, ever.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

After reading other complaints, I see many other people are having the same problem with the change of the Iams Dog Food. I just spent $500 on a vet bill because my dog was vomiting, had diarrhea so bad her butt was bleeding, not eating, pacing! Thought it could of been pancreatitis or something like that but nope. After reading these other complaints and how they are spot on with what I'm dealing with, I am extremely extremely upset about this! I think the Iams company owes me $500 + dollars and they should close up shop!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

I have been feeding my dogs Iams lamb and rice formula for at least 5 years now. 6 months ago or so I noticed they changed the formula to include darker chunks of food. Now they have changed it, to Iams grass fed lamb. My dog is horrible sick now. Uncontrollable diarrhea and shaking and panting. He has not been in contact with any trash, other dogs etc and after reading the other reviews I strongly believe the food is the blame. I have been a loyal customer and trusted this company with my pets health and spent 60 dollars a month for 5 years and they up and changed to formula. The packaging is the same so you don't even know it's different until it's too late, thanks a lot Iams!!!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

Both of my dogs have been randomly throwing up and then simply refusing to eat their dog food. In looking at the dog food, there are some darker and lighter colored mini chunks, which I feed both animals. In the past, it has always been the same color. I will change dog foods and NEVER use this brand again. They have changed something, people, and it is making our dogs violently ill!! I order my dog food from Chewy.com.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

I have been feeding my Chow Chows exclusively with Iams mini-chunks for 22 years. My dogs are house dogs, don't go to dog parks, have all their shots. I noticed the last bag of food had dark and light colored brown chunks instead of just the light brown ones. The dogs eat the food fine, but have started having diarrhea episodes, such that they can't wait for us to get home and have accidents in the house. This is upsetting to them as well as to me. These events only started after they were fed the new formula. Will have to find something new.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

I bought a 20 pound bag of the mini chunks. I see the bag is different. When I opened it, I saw the two different colors of food... The normal color and these black nuggets. Nowhere on the bag did they say "New formula or new look." I used to sell Iams to breeders 30 years ago, and I've fed it to my own dogs for 20 years. There is something wrong with this batch of food!! I broke open a black nugget and looked at it. It appears to have GLASSLIKE pieces in it!!! I returned it immediately and bought a 30# bag. Just opened it up and same thing. After reading these reviews I'm thankful I didn't feed it to my 2 small Pekingese. They need to recall this immediately. I'm switching to a different brand as of now. Iams had to know this food was no good. Shame on them. If this food is responsible for the death of one dog I hope they're sued and put out of business.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

We bought the Iams Proactive Health dog food in August and I've never had either of my dogs put up such resistance to eating before. One of my dogs would downright refuse to eat just laying down next to her bowl. We would refrain from spoiling her appetite with treats to ensure that she would be hungry for the next feeding only to have her vomit fifteen minutes after eating. My second dog, a lab mix, is not a picky eater put it mildly and even he would stop eating after picking at the kibbles. We switched brands for my dog that was vomiting and she immediately went back to her normal appetite. The lab after seeing that there was another option flat out refused to eat the Iams when given. We will not be buying this brand again.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

I have been feeding my 2 dogs IAMS Mature Adult food for years. The last bag I bought had 2 different color nuggets, which was very different than before. After feeding it to my dog he got sick and had the diarrhea. At one point he could not hold it and had an accident which had blood in it. I stopped feeding him this and changed to a vet prescribed dog food for digestion issues and he straightened right up. I bought another bag of food from a different location thinking it would be different, but it looked the same. They changed their formula.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

I have been feeding my dog with that Iams proactive health for small breeds dry foods and wet food cans for a month. She was fine but a few weeks ago she refuses to eat and she has vomited a few times. I thought she was going to die if she doesn't want to eat at all. I have stopped giving her dog treats because I was spoiling her to have table scraps and she was demanding human foods and ignore her dog food. I even have been forcing her to eat dog food till I had to find this website. I am so stunned to find that dog food, Iams is a bad product making so many dogs get sick. I am about going to dump the dog food bag into the dumpster today. I am going to find the right dog foods for her. She has not eaten for two weeks and she has lost her weights already. She is very sick and weak. Not because she is dumb for not eating. I am going to do something to save my dog's life. Thanks.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

Bought a new bag of food last week and once I fed it to my dog he immediately puked. I did notice the two different color chunks but didn't think there was anything wrong with it. I gave him a few cookies 30 minutes later and he was fine. The next morning, again he puked immediately after eating it and I went to the store bought another brand, came home and fed it to him. He was fine with the new food. Never had a problem for over 5 years of their brand. They don't answer the phones and I will never buy their brand again.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

I have been buying Iams mini chunks for my Beagle for 4+ years now. A few days ago he was sick and wouldn't really eat the new bag of food I just bought. The food looks different with two different color chunks now. Lo and behold, today my dog was picking out the dark chunks and dropping them on the floor while eating the other lighter colored ones. I bet the new formula or whatever this is was an effort to reduce costs. Now we have to find a new brand of dog food. What a disappointment.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2017

My dog has been eating Iams mini chunks since I adopted her last year. I purchased a new bag on August 24 2017 and within two hours of eating from the new bag she had violent diarrhea with obvious blood. She is lethargic and not eating or drinking. She is a house pet and only goes outside on a fenced in yard with no other animals. I am very concerned about this situation. I am going to contact Iams on Monday to ask if they have had any other reports of sick animals.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

We have been feeding our dogs Iams mini chunks for years. Last week we bought a new bag and they have been having horrible diarrhea and a few of them have also had vomiting. These are inside dogs, they are not boarded and don't go to dog parks. The only dietary change was a new bag of Iams. We did notice some of the mini chunks were black in color while others were the same brown color. We believe the food we purchased is tainted and making our dogs sick so we will not be buying Iams again. Too risky.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

Ultimately the best grocery store food and food in general. My dogs got sick on another food and after lots of money went back to Iams. Food formulated for specific dogs as age and flavor. My dog food for my best friends in the world.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

It is hit and miss with Iams. It may also be my fickle dogs who like it one time, and the next time they won't eat it. Funny enough my two cats love Iams food.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

I have two 4 year old dogs boxer and a pit; I just recently purchased a bag of Iams Dog Food! This has made both of them extremely sick; throwing up liquid bile. Lethargic... They typically are very active but today they have been both lying down! No food no water!

Iams Dog Food Company Information