1.40/5

Need help choosing a cat food brand?

71 Iams Cat Food Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

My cat has been eating IAMS Sensitive Stomach for a long time and I purchased a bag on Saturday and added it to her bowl last night. I noticed the color was different. Today, she is very sick and threw up green vomit and now isn't eating. I can tell she doesn't feel good at all. I decided to stop feeding her the food and picked up a bag of Purina One. I'm hoping she'll be OK with the change. She's a picky eater and IAMS was her favorite food. I have no idea why they changed the recipe and hope they go back to the old one because it seems like a lot of cats are experiencing the same.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I have been feeding my cats Iams Sensitive Stomach for a couple years, being that -oddly- the Indoor hairball care makes them throw up hairballs. I don’t know if they changed the formula recently but the kibble on the last bag was shaped differently. I got another bag when it was finished and it was back to the usual shape from before. Both of my cats are incredibly sick, throwing up with horrible diarrhea now. The only thing that has changed, since they are indoor cats, is that single bag. I’m scared and angry and a $13 bag of food is about to become a very expensive vet bill.

Get expert buying tips about Cat Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

I have been giving my cat different kinds of Iams for 5 years. My most recent bag I noticed the kibbles were darker. Ironically my cat has been having social withdrawal and she has had poop spots on her butt. I took her to the vet and they noticed elevated white blood cells and gave her an antibiotic. Something told me to do some research on Iams. I was just telling my husband that I think the quality must not be as good as it used to be. Then I found all these other consumer complaints. So glad I followed my instinct and did some research. It's time to change cat food to a better quality since Iams is no longer trusted.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

I wanted to get her a better branded bag of cat food, and she ate some, was sick for three days, just lying and sleeping. Wouldn't eat. Wouldn't use the litter. I ended up buying Fancy Feast and she started feeling better, now she won't even touch the Iams. There's something up with this batch.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

My cat has been eating the Iams Hairball food for many years and now is throwing up. I use to like the color of the old food better than this dark brown new product as it was easier to clean up when there was an hairball. Now my cat is vomiting 3 or 4 times a day with this new formula that is darker. I'm very unhappy and want the old cat food back. I will be returning this and switching from Iams.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Iams Cat Food?

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I have contacted a local investigative journalist after reading what other consumers have written in here. My parents called me last night to tell me that my cat has had diarrhea, and vomiting. There has not been any poop in the litter box for a couple days since starting to use Iams Weight Control cat food for about a week, maybe a few days longer. There are some people whose cats have suffered more than mine, even some whose cats have died. I also contacted Iams cat food company (Mars). I have contacted Proctor and Gamble as well (Google list them as a parent company along with Mars). Hopefully they will do something about this.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

Recently the shape of kibble has changed and I believe the formula has too. My cats, one who this was her favorite, they will no longer touch. I lost my beautiful kitty on 8-25-18 and I think this may have had something to do with it. Anyone else??? I miss you Katie???

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

My cat is 9 years old. He began with Iams Kitten and has been on Iams ProActive adult since he began eating adult food in 2010 and never had problems. I bought this new bag in June and noticed it was new plastic packaging. I didn't begin using it until August. He gets this dry food only in the morning. Immediately after beginning this bag of food, the profuse vomiting began. It took less than 5 minutes from ingestion everytime he eats it without fail. He also has had diarrhea since beginning this bag of food and had some wheezing. I have removed this for the last 24 hours and he has been fine. Not sure what has changed either in the formula or packaging but something isn't right. He doesn't have any reaction to the wet food he eats at his evening feeding. He has a vet appointment Monday and will discontinue this food and switch to something else. Not taking chance.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

I recently bought this cat food for the first time ever for my cat, after her eating another brand for years. She ended up with chronic diarrhea, going 3-4 times a day, for four days. Once I removed the food, she went back to having her usual once daily, solid poop. I will be calling Iams about this, although it looks from other reviews like they couldn’t care less about their customers.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

We've been giving our cats (all of whom have been indoor cats) Iams hairball formula (blueish bag) for many years, pretty much as their only food. Its worked really well. All of our cats have been really healthy & living to ripe old ages. We just adopted a starving stray. After plumping him up with canned food, we started him on Iams adult diet (orange bag) - but he won't eat it & the others aren't interested in stealing it from him. I guess it doesn't taste good.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

Iams Proactive Orange - Junk. Both cats are scratching and puking. Reading other reviews here since 2016. Things have changed for Iams. Ownership, mgmt., profit margins, who knows. Caring for pets is not a priority witnessed by the two years of complaints and the stuff is still on the shelf and many others who have called Iams get, "We don't know what you're talking about." Horse puckey. They know. They have had recalls in the past but I think Mars is too worried about $. The new plastic bags must be contaminated with cheap poisoned recycled plastic. Time to do something. Boycott Iams if you care about pets! How else can we stop it?

Original review: July 13, 2018

We accidentally bought Iams Indoor and Hairball formula (teal bag) instead of our usual Iams Senior formula. Both of my cats, Mushy Cat who is a 16 years old female and Harry who is a 2 year old male, started vomiting profusely after eating this specific formula. After 4 days of continued vomiting, we had to take Mushy Cat to the vet (7-11-2018). Her blood tests were “ok”. An X-ray was done and they found her stomach to be enlarged and inflamed. An oral Barium contrast was then done to confirm there were no blockages. This contrast X-ray did confirm she had no blockages.

Mushy Cat was given an anti-nausea injection at the clinic and sent home with oral anti-nausea tablets with really no explanation as to what was going on to cause the vomiting. It was later that evening that I started to put 2 and 2 together. I threw away all of this remaining food immediately. She seems to be coming around at this point. Harry is acting very puny and not himself. I have also administered an anti-nausea tablet for him. I called Iams to report my concerns and I was pretty much dismissed. I have filed a report with the FDA today. Something is very wrong here.

Original review: July 11, 2018

I lost my cat Ferra June 13 2018. She has been eating Iams Cat Food for weight control and hairballs. Evening of June 12 I noticed her Just laying around not really moving well. June 13th I'm at the vet at 8 am soon as they opened. I got her on the exam table just before she died. She was 13, she had never been sick. I had just went from the Orange bag of Iams to the greenish blue bag for weight control and hairballs. Her whole life she never had a hairballs but she was over weight. I bought it for her cause I thought it would be healthy for her. But I just heard today my friend lost her cat being fed same food, hers died June 9th. Ferra was a healthy fat cat. No sign of any sickness until the night before she died.

Original review: June 27, 2018

Iams is a trusted brand and my adopted cat was already on the Iams diet so I did not want to change it. Little more expensive but he is worth it.

Original review: June 18, 2018

We have been feeding our cats Purina One Indoor Turkey & Rice formula for many, many years (probably about 16 years) and have never had any problems or issues with it. However, about a month ago when our cat and dog food delivery from Chewy.com was delayed and we were about to run out of dry cat food, my husband picked up a large 22 lb bag of Iams original adult formula at Target on his way home from work because they didn't have any of the Purina One in stock, so I told him to just get the Iams thinking that it would be fine.

My parents fed both our cats and dogs Iams when I was a kid in the 80s and 90s with no problems, so I figured that would be a good alternative until our normal Purina One arrived. WRONG! Over the course of 4-6 weeks that our cats were eating this food (we were trying to use up the giant bag), we noticed that our cats' coats were becoming very dull and not nearly as shiny or soft as they usually are. Also, 2 of our 5 cats began throwing up multiple times a day and began losing weight. This has NEVER happened before.

We finally stopped feeding the Iams and put them back on their normal Purina One and their soft, shiny coats started to come back and the 2 cats that had been vomiting stopped and were completely fine after stopping the Iams. After reading all of the other complaints that are almost identical to our experience, I feel very confident in saying that Iams is TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE food and should be avoided at all costs! Obviously, it's not the same food that it was when I was growing up in the 80s and 90s and has gone way downhill in quality. If you are considering feeding your cats or dogs Iams, DON'T DO IT!!!

Original review: June 7, 2018

My 12-year-old, indoor-exclusive, short-haired, gray tabby cat has been eating IAMS brand dry cat food all her life. When she grew to adulthood, I switched to the Proactive Health for weight and hairball control (as the title suggests Iams PROACTIVE HEALTH Indoor Weight & Hairball Care Dry Cat Food). Since adulthood, she's gotten a measured 1/4 cup of food in the morning and once again in the early evening when I came home from work. For the past 8 out of 10 years, my Lovely has been eating this brand without issues. However, like so many other cat owners who rate this brand as poor... I'm too am doing so not only because of to the vomiting but because of other issued I've listed below.

My cat has never been sickly nor does she have a sensitive stomach, however, for the past 2 years, she'd vomit each time she ate. Don't get me wrong, she loves the flavor and she'd gobbled it down like she hasn't eaten in a week. Without fail, 15-20 minutes later I'd hear her retching and then I'd come across the vomit pile(s). Soon after the purge, she'd trot over to her bowl...and the endless cycle began. I thought maybe she was just eating too fast so I'd intervene; divert her attention by petting her and telling her to take her time. Never wanting to miss a petting opportunity, she'd enjoy the love and slow down the shovel. Most of the time this worked but not always.

Now that she was keeping down the food, for the most part, I began to notice her substantial weight gain. Surely vomiting the food isn't the method by which her weight was to be controlled...surely not!!! But this substantial weight gain wasn't the only change I began to notice: 1-Her coat, although soft, was now greasy - not shiny. It separated into clumped bands of hair across her body from her head to the tip of her tail. 2-Her coat was covered with dander - a problem she'd never had before. It got so bad she looked like she had a severe case of dandruff. 3-Excessive shedding. Now I know what you’re thinking, animals shed, but this was insane. She's a short-haired tabby...she only sheds during seasonal changes. I couldn't touch her without having handfuls of fur over me, the couch, the floor or the fly-away clumps of hair floating in the air flow generated by the ceiling fans.

No amount of brushing would stop the shedding, get rid of the dander, or make her fur look sleek and shiny. Eventually even distracting her during eating didn’t stop the vomiting entirely. There was an endless cycle of eating then purging, weight loss and then weight gain. That's dangerous for a human, I can only imagine what it's silently doing to my pet. I finally stopped feeding her the IAMS brand altogether. After some trial and error with other brands, I finally found a brand she loves. Every issue I mentioned above has corrected itself. And even though she's 12 years old and an only child, she now runs around like a kitten.

Many reviewers mentioned they noticed the vomiting after the switch from the pink bag to the blue and I concur. The other issues listed above developed over the last year-and-a-half. I think it's safe to say that whatever formulation changes made, substantially decreased the nutritional value. I won't be buying any IAMS brand again nor can I recommend it any cat owner. It’s really sad to see a once GREAT product turn a blind eye on quality and customer satisfaction.

Original review: May 28, 2018

About three weeks ago, I bought some Iams cat food for weight control/hairball. My cat has never been a picky eater; he is 15 years of age. From the start, he began to lose his appetite; he would not clean up his food. I attributed that to the change of food; my grocery store does not carry his regular food, so thought the Iams mixed with his regular diet would be a good choice. WRONG. After two to three weeks, he was really dropping weight. He began to leave more and more of the Iams. He became lethargic and almost anti-social. He spent more and more of his time in his favorite hiding place. He had large, loose, soft stools. I became very concerned and decided to take him to a vet and change his food.

This was late Friday evening; vets are not available on weekends except for emergencies. I did not deem he was in an emergency situation. I started him on the new cat food; he ate an entire feedings. Later that evening he was asking for more; he had perked up and was starting to demand my attention. It is Monday morning; he is back to normal, hungry, social and is no longer lethargic. There is, apparently, something toxic in the Iams cat food.

Original review: May 23, 2018

Two weeks ago, I bought Iams hairball control food at Target because the store did not have our normal Purina hairball food. I gradually switched my cat over, adding a small bit of the new food to the food she was used to and gradually increasing by tiny increments each day to avoid an upset stomach. In the last few days, she has vomited over 8 times, and yesterday I found blood in both her vomit and stool.

She has not acted sick, and has continued to be very affectionate and playful, but obviously I took her to the vet today because these symptoms are terrifying. The vet could find nothing physically wrong with her and took blood to test to be sure, but after reading these reviews, I have thrown the Iams food away and switched her back to Purina. No vomiting or bloody stool tonight, but my cat has been extremely flatulent and it's still really alarming. I will amend this review if the blood tests reveal a different issue, but the food certainly seems to be a likely cause.

Original review: May 18, 2018

We have three adopted domestic short-hairs, two are very large siblings and the third is pretty small. The bigger cats have sensitive stomachs and we found the indoor cat sensitive stomach (pink bag) solved their vomiting problems so they've been on it for years. Ever since the label change (that now says "Digestive Health") all three cats started vomiting a few times a week, even the small one who doesn't have a sensitive stomach. Looking for a new cat food.

Original review: May 16, 2018

Have been feeding my cat hairball control (chicken flavor) from the orange colored Iams plastic bags for over 3 years without issue. She would have a hairball roughly once every 3 months. Recently the packaging changed to an aqua colour but the ingredients appeared very similar, so I thought nothing of it. On the new bag, she began vomiting every 2-3 days. Additionally (and ironically) she was seemingly craving the dry food infinitely more than the old mix (so flavor wasn't the issue!).

After 2 weeks of her polishing off the dry food bowl very quickly and then yowling for the rest of the day because she wanted more, and vomiting every few days, I began to suspect that the mix was indeed different. I found an old orange bag and put her back on that. Effects were immediate. She slowed her eating to previous speed (slowly finishing a bowl throughout the day) and zero vomiting. It's been 2 months now without incident. When my last orange bag finishes, I'll be moving on to Hills Diet.

Original review: April 17, 2018

Back in November of 2011 Iams had a recall of their pet food. Sadly my cat passed away from this poisoned food. Iams assured me that they would pay for all my vet bills and that they would pay for funeral costs (they would not pay for me to replace my cat and put no value to my cat other than the direct monetary value of the loss). I agreed to this payment, signed all the documentation that they asked us to sign and waited for payment. My assumption was that because they were involved in a legal case that my payment was going to be slow to come. Boy was I mistaken. They have never sent payment. I called them numerous times and they just told me that they would not send payment and the case was closed. So they basically lied to me. How can a company be so callous to a customer? Cost me thousands of dollars and did nothing to cover the costs.

Original review: April 12, 2018

I have 4 cats, ages range from 8-1/2 to 6-1/2 years old. For the past 5 years I have fed them Iams Proactive Health Indoor Weight and Hairball Care with no problems. Some reviewers said that they noticed issues when Iams packaging changed from the paper type to more plastic – I did not. My last purchase was a 7 lb bag, which I normally get. All kitties are fed twice a day, ¼ cup each feeding. We were about halfway through that bag when Sassy (my smallest & oldest) would only eat a couple nuggets then walk away. I thought maybe she had an upset tummy, so after 3 feedings of her not eating anything, I gave them all some Royal Canin dental (which they get as treats). Sassy ate those just fine!

The following day, Dylan only ate half of her dish and threw that up. I decided to stop after work that evening and pick up some Cat Chow (not bottom of the barrel food, but not premium price food either). Both Sassy & Dylan had no problems eating every nugget in their dish… Bottom line – I don’t trust feeding the Iams to them anymore, especially after reading the other reviews, what I have left will go in the trash and will look for an alternative dry food. My kitties are my children, and as every good pet parent knows, you do what you have to do to protect them. I am thankful I didn’t wait too long before coming to this conclusion and hope I made the switch in time…

Original review: April 8, 2018

So my cat Rockie, my love and life has been a puker because he has a sensitive stomach. So, I decided to switch to Iams. Heard it was good for cats and so forth. Well, for the past couple of days I noticed my cat losing weight. My fatman turned to bones. He wouldn't eat, he barely drank. Now mind you he didn't puke on this food, just colored food. So this morning 4.7.18 I had to rush my cat to the emergency vet. His kidneys are damaged. When I called the vet to check up on him cause they had to keep him because he was dehydrated and they wanted to observe him, vet advised that he was eating a little and drinking a little cause they couldn't insert an IV.

After reading all these reviews and knowing what my cat has been doing, I have thrown out all the Iams sensitive stomach. My female is looking at me crazy, so now I have to go get more food, but tonight she will get some cooked pork for dinner as I wait on pins and needles about my fat buddy. Note: I've been in tears all day cause I don't have my boy with me.

Original review: April 3, 2018

I have 2 Ragdoll cats, sisters that are 10 years old and have grown up eating Iams Dry Food mainly the Proactive Health Indoor Weight and Hairball Care. That's what their breeder recommended and I had feed my previous cat. Wednesday both cats refused to eat. They walked away when I set the food down which is very unlike them. This continued for days along with diarrhea, the smaller cat having a terrible case with a little blood showing in her stool as well. By Saturday both cats were acting lethargic and still not eating. I ended up taking them to the emergency vet which found them both dehydrated. The vet couldn't find anything wrong and asked if I had changed anything, nothing had changed. They were given anti-acids and anti-nausea medicine along with a bland diet like chicken breast or chicken flavored baby food.

Two days later they're doing great and I decided to go online to see if there were any issues with Iams. I couldn't believe all the reviews that sounded exactly like what we had experienced. I had bought a 16LB bag of Iams Proactive Health and just opened it right before the cats started showing signs of being ill. I noticed for the first time too that the bag was plastic instead of the usual paper. Whether or not that has anything to do with it, I don't know but something has changed and is very wrong. I've thrown out the bag and plan to call my vet in the morning to ask what dry food he recommends. I believe Mars took over Iams several years ago and evidently isn't living up to the previous standards. Let's hope for everyone's sake that they figure out what the problem is before many more beloved pets become ill.

Original review: March 31, 2018

In mid December 2017 I began gradually adding Iams ProActive Health Healthy Kitten food to my then 5 month old kitten's food. I believed that the Iams brand would be better for her. Iams I feel has always stood behind their brand and have a very reputable name. Now we are 3 weeks into the full transition and she has recently started throwing up. Also occasionally when our older cat eats whatever she might leave in the bowl he vomits as well. So this is obviously not a coincidence. There is something wrong and a recall may be in order!!!

Original review: March 25, 2018

We got a new bag of cat food a couple of weeks ago. I have three cats. All of them have been vomiting lately. I decided to see if other people had the same issue. Looks like this is the case. We won’t be buying Iams again. Very disappointing. We will have to toss the ten pounds of cat food that’s left. What a shame! I hope my cats are ok.

Original review: March 23, 2018

Have been feeding my cats Iams dry food for 4 years. One would throw up everything eaten periodically but for the last week has or so has become extremely I'll and neither cat will touch the food. An expensive trip to the vet for evaluation and antibiotics and anti-vomiting med didn't find any problems as of yet, we are returning for blood work if he's not better tomorrow. He's very lethargic, looks very sad, as if he's pleading for me to help him, but he won't pick up his head when I come into the room and sort of squeaks when I try to pick him up as if he's in pain. After reading all the other similar accounts, I am discontinuing use of Iams.

Original review: March 22, 2018

I have two 7 month old purebred ragdolls. I have fed them Iams Kitten exclusively and at first there were no problems. Mid to late January I bought 2 more bags and my female began vomiting within 20 mins of eating. She is also moving multiple stools a day and urinating frequently, in large amounts and urine is very strong smelling. I thought I was feeding too much so I controlled her food and fluid intake. Recently the male has started having similar symptoms. The vet proposed possible virus and/or infection. Started them on antibiotics. They are still having these issues, vomiting after eating, increased BM and urination but otherwise acting normally. I've been googling for days and today thought to Google Iams only to find many other pet owners with similar experiences. I am switching them to another food immediately and very interested to see if it changes their symptoms.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

I've read the multiple reviews of people who's cat is sick. Were able to find out from their vet the nature of the problem. Bought a bag of IAMS and since mid-January 2018, cat is sick. Vomiting and won't eat. Saw the 5 vet who ruled out just about every disease. Now treated for an infection somewhere in the cat: so antibiotics, anti-acid, anti-nausea, morphine and vet prescription food urinary as a precaution in case of a kidney infection. She started eating the vet food but does not have her usual appetite yet. Please comment because she looks as if she is dying off slowly. Thanks.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

I have four cats that I have fed only Iams top four years. They've all been vomiting - but I thought maybe they'd eaten something else to cause it. Then, my son gets a cat, and after a week on a different brand of dry food, he switched to Iams. Now his cat is also vomiting. I would never have thought this high end brand of cat food would be a problem, but everything points to this cat food! After reading the reviews, I'm switching to a different brand. Very disappointed in this company's lack of interest in what appears to be a serious problem!!

Iams Cat Food expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Iams Cat Food is a company dedicated to providing pets with the best food possible. Iams was founded on the philosophy that pets need to be given the best nutrition possible. Since its founding, Iams has relentlessly researched new ways to improve their recipes and to ensure that their customers' furry family members are provided with all they deserve.

• Quality products: Iams never cuts corners when making their pet food, they ensure that all the ingredients they use can pass very rigorous test to ensure that they are safe for your pets.

• Tireless research: Iams' research has always resulted in groundbreaking new foods, they were the first to use many new types of food that better cater to the way your pet is supposed to eat.

• Innovative thinking: The company's research has always been centered around their innovative ideas, these ideas have led to healthier and higher quality foods.

• Food safety: They consistently surpasses all regulations placed on food production safety with their superior production guidelines, this ensures that your pet is provided with the best possible food and not anything that is unhealthy for them.

• Full refund guarantee: If a consumer is dissatisfied with any Iams product, Iams offers a 100% confidence guarantee and will provide a full refund for their product.

• Best for: Cats who need good nutrition and cats who need to lose weight.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
    Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Iams Cat Food Company Information