2. Pets

Save 30% on your first autoship

Shop your favorite brands on Chewy.com

Shop now

Iams Cat Food Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Iams Cat Food?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Iams Cat Food?

Original review: Oct. 22, 2020

Our boys are 4 and 20 (!) years old and they're thriving on Iams. Because they're both neutered males who are indoor cats, UTI concerns are a frequent threat. We recently ran out of their specific iams UTI food and we substituted iams senior dry cat food. Result? Two happy, healthy boys plowing through their dinner bowls and purring afterward. A few days later and no side effects of any kind. No wonder our vet recommends iams!

Original review: July 23, 2020

Ok, I guess I am speaking on behalf of my cat but the Iams brand is one that was recommended since the first day I rescued my cat. I do alternate with the Wellness brands as well because he loves variety in flavors but that brand is more expensive. Duma loves the Iams dry food in Salmon and prefers the Tuna in wet. He will eat any other flavor as long as I alternate them but loves seafood just like his human. Another cool feature is the portion control size feature which is unique and keeps their food fresh every time compared to when I have to use cans and split them up and keep them in the refrigerator. I think that out of all the brands that you listed on this survey by far Iams brand is the best and the one that I trust the most.

Get buying tips about Cat Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 8, 2020

My two cats love Iam's cat food. We recently got a recommendation from an employee at the pet food store to switch to the Iam's food for elderly cats. This is exactly what my older cat needed as it has smaller morsels that are easier for him to chew since having many teeth removed. Both our cats really love the taste of the food and have had less vomiting from them since switching.

Original review: July 7, 2020

We have two rescue cats; Pepper, a black Persian and Lila, a little Tabby. We tried various dry foods (along with a compliment of wet food) but our cats were coughing hairballs weekly. We found Iams hairball prevention cat food; and the cats not only love the taste, it has eliminated hairballs. We plan to only use Iams because it is a quality food for our sweet kitties.

Original review: July 6, 2020

I have an older cat that has been on a diet of Iams dry cat food and another brand of wet food. We recently changed to the individual meals of Iams wet food with the dry food. She loves it. Her coat is nicer and she eats less wet food because it has more nutrients and she doesn’t need as much. Her coat is nicer and she is more satisfied with less food.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2021

We have always fed our previous pets (cats and dog) Iams. Several weeks ago we rescued a stray cat who had an upper respiratory infection, approximately 3-4 year old polydactyl male, and I immediately started feeding him Iams Dry Healthy Adult. He had been hanging around my husband's work for months, and he was feeding him some generic cat food. When he brought him home, we took him to the vet, and after antibiotics the upper respiratory infection is gone. However, about 3-4 days after he brought him home, he started drinking a TON of bottled water (approx. 16+ oz. a day), and had severe diarrhea that he didn't initially have, which lasted for weeks.

After numerous vet appointments, Pro-Pectalin, probiotics, prescription canned food, etc., our vet suggested switching his dry food (we always left a bowl down for him) to Purina One Sensitive Stomach, which is working wonders. Now I'm concerned after reading reviews on this site and having bloodwork drawn tomorrow to check his kidney and liver function. Not that I can prove it since he was a feral cat, but I'll be extremely disappointed if this is all a result of Iams, a brand we have always trusted.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2021

Do NOT use this brand, my perfectly healthy active 6 month old kitten has been eating blue buffalos kitten food since he was about 8 weeks old, recently purchased Iams Proactive Kitten food bag (purple bag) bc my store had a cash back deal and bag states to be super packed with nutritional ingredients so I thought win win, he was on it for 3 days and was a completely different cat. It was so sad to see and hurts that I “caused it”.

DAY 1: he ate all the dry food (iams) mixed with wet food as I usually do (blue Buffalo wet) and slept earlier than usually that night. DAY 2: I woke up and my cat was asleep in the corner under my bed (usually is asleep right next to me). I thought nothing of it and feed him as usual same iams dry food mixed with blue Buffalo wet, again he ate everything and later in the day I noticed he started becoming very lethargic (super sleepy/ no energy at all). It was so bad I had to get up and walk to him to touch him to make sure he was alive, I thought maybe he had a rough day or maybe tired himself out bad.

DAY 3: woke up to the same thing, feed him. He ate just a lil portion of what I usually give him, by the afternoon he just started throwing up repeatedly, meowing more than usual and you could see the pain in his eyes. I immediately jumped on my phone and did some further investigation on possible explanations, nothing other than the food change had happened recently so I googled reviews on the product and it’s sad to see there are way too many reviews on iams dry food products stating previously HEALTHY CATS are vomiting repeatedly, loss of appetite, extremely lethargic, to even death after owners switch to IAMS, I immediately empty his bowl, replaced it with straight blue Buffalo wet food (he wasn’t drinking much water by now and he had to be dehydrated from vomiting so much so he’ll get it from the wet food). Held him for comfort and called it a night.

DAY 4: I switched back to blue Buffalo dry food along with continuing to mix it with the blue Buffalo wet and he ate it all, he was still very sleepy and throw up once more in the afternoon but was better. DAY 5: he finally slept with me in bed and seemed to have more energy (not as normal) but definitely an improvement. He did not vomit and was back to drinking a normal amount of water. DAY 6: he is way better taking his normal naps and having his wild burst of energy moments throughout the day, it was the most scariest 3 days ever. I’m so glad I figured it out before some reviewers that unfortunately lost their cat before realizing it was the iams food.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2020

7 days ago we bought Iams healthy indoor formula cat food. My two cats are pushing 10 years old and we had been buying cheap 20 lb. bags of Friskies, but I wanted something more high quality. Both have rejected Iams. One cat is eating her Friskies just fine now. My other cat threw up the Iams and has barely eaten since. She rejects chicken baby food, tuna juice (her favorite), Fancy Feast wet and kitten formula. She is dying. I know it's probably a coincidence...but we are putting her down tomorrow. This was a healthy cat. This is a disturbing coincidence.

Original review: July 17, 2020

The IAMS Cat Food that I buy seem to have helped the cats who eat it -- whether it's for sensitive stomach, kidney problems, diabetic or other conditions. I really appreciate it not having food coloring and harmful chemicals.

Original review: July 16, 2020

Could you please make one of your cat foods so that it is soft in texture. I use Iams but my cats like softer cat food, especially since they are so little. Something where they don’t have to crunch so hard. They leave crumbs in the bowl every time and I wind up wasting half the bowl of food. If it were soft, they would eat all of the food.

Iams Cat Food author review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Iams Cat Food is a company dedicated to providing pets with the best food possible. Iams was founded on the philosophy that pets need to be given the best nutrition possible. Since its founding, Iams has relentlessly researched new ways to improve their recipes and to ensure that their customers' furry family members are provided with all they deserve.

• Quality products: Iams never cuts corners when making their pet food, they ensure that all the ingredients they use can pass very rigorous test to ensure that they are safe for your pets.

• Tireless research: Iams' research has always resulted in groundbreaking new foods, they were the first to use many new types of food that better cater to the way your pet is supposed to eat.

• Innovative thinking: The company's research has always been centered around their innovative ideas, these ideas have led to healthier and higher quality foods.

• Food safety: They consistently surpasses all regulations placed on food production safety with their superior production guidelines, this ensures that your pet is provided with the best possible food and not anything that is unhealthy for them.

• Full refund guarantee: If a consumer is dissatisfied with any Iams product, Iams offers a 100% confidence guarantee and will provide a full refund for their product.

by Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Iams Cat Food Company Information