2. Pets
  3. Cat Food

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.67/5

Iams Cat Food Reviews

Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

My indoor cats and my feral have been eating Iams 10 years now. Recently I purchased two large bags and my indoor cats are very sick vomiting violently severe diarrhea. They became severely dehydrated. I really did not know what was happening. I went outside to check on the feral cats and I was stunned that not any of them would eat the food so that is when I realized it is the food. Seriously my cat Lambie almost died. He is on antibiotics and lots of fluid. All my poor sweet animals have lost weight. I am truly worried because they have matted coats from not grooming themselves. I called the very reputable company I use to purchase the food and I was told to stop using it immediately so I did. So please everyone be very cautious giving your furry love bug this food.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

My cat was on this brand for many years. She was a rescue cat, always small and always kind of rough coated with a kind of dandruff problem. I was told years ago Iams was a good brand so I stuck with it and she ate it well. Last summer quite suddenly she started vomiting. Once a every few days at first then it quickly progressed to daily then multiple times a day. I grew quite alarmed at that point and knew this wasn't just from hairballs.

Before I booked a vet appointment I decided to go online and consult Mr. Google and I found all these reviews. Hum, could this be? So I threw out the Iams, went to the pet store and bought the best limited ingredient food they had. I figured for it to be a real test it needed to be as limited ingredient as possible. Lo and behold she NEVER vomited again, not once. Yes it's more expensive but honestly not by a huge amount because she eats less of it and that little rough cat has turned round and full and her coat is silky and lush. What a difference. She also has turned into a kitten again..playing and running around like crazy. AVOID IAMS!

Get expert buying tips about Cat Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

I was away for a few days and I had my kids buy some cat food for our cats. I told them to buy IAMS but they went to Walmart to get it. My cats will not eat it and the pellets are different shapes and colors than the last bag I bought at a grocery store. With the other reviews I have read I am now very concerned for my cats. I will be contacting the company tomorrow and expecting to get my money back.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

We have tried the Orange bag IAMS™ PROACTIVE HEALTH™ INDOOR WEIGHT & HAIRBALL CARE. PROACTIVE HEALTH™ food for our four cats and they puke every time we have tried them on it. We have only used it when their brand is out of stock, but every time it has made them all get very sick. It seems like this is a common problem.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

September 9th of 2019 I was given an 8 week old kitten from a friend. She was in good health (even though she was a little small due to being the runt) and when I took her to the vet at 9 weeks they said she was perfectly healthy. My vet recommended that I switch to another food from what I was feeding her and one of the options was Iams Proactive Kitten Food. I switched her foods how I was supposed to, gradually, and she seemed okay for a few days. Until I noticed that she was throwing up every time she ate and wouldn’t touch her food anymore.

I took her to the vet as soon as I could and she was about 11 weeks, they told me she was probably throwing up because I switched her food too fast and that it should subside and she seemed in good health. I believed them but within a week and a half later she passed away. I later found this thread and I wholeheartedly believe it was the Iams kitten food that caused her untimely death. Rest In Paradise my sweet Aurora.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Iams Cat Food?

Original review: Nov. 5, 2019

My family has two cats, both 12 years old. We have been feeding them Iams since they were kittens and they have never had a problem. As they have grown up, we have switched their Iams brand of food to match their age/stage of life, again, experiencing no problems. Unfortunately, that is no longer the case. Our cats have, both, been experiencing diarrhea and have been vomiting not long after eating the Iams Mature Senior food. Our smallest cat got REALLY sick a few months back, necessitating a trip to the vet. All tests run on both cats revealed negative results. We're beginning to believe it's the food, because they are both experiencing frequent diarrhea and vomiting, not long after eating. We've talked about changing their food to another brand, especially after reading the comments everyone else has posted on this forum. I hope Iams gets the message because it absolutely heartbreaking to see our precious pets get so sick after eating.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2019

My 12 year old cat has been on Iams since a kitten. He has recently starting vomiting within 5 min of eating Iams. He does not throw up when he eats chicken, fish and wet cat food. I have thrown out all the Iams we have in the house.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

I have a 3 year old neutered male cat who was recently diagnosed with FIC. The be recommended I change his food to one of the urinary tract health cat foods. I started with Purina One urinary tract health and he hated it. He was barely eating so I decided to try this Iams food. He loved it, but later that same day he started having diarrhea. I thought it was just from switching foods again. The next day he was still eating but the diarrhea persisted and he started becoming lethargic and dehydrated. I will never feed this kind of food to my cat again. I'm also so glad that other people wrote reviews on here about this food. It has probably saved his life.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

I have been buying Iams a long time for my 2 cats. For starters does everyone know that Iams cat food brand is owned.by the Mars Candy Company. Just found that out after doing a little research. Anytime I buy. Iams cat food from Walmart my cats get sick. Or they won't eat it. And the Iams at Walmart the dry food orange bag anytime I bought that at Walmart. It's a lot darker the morsels then when I buy same thing in other places. It's a lot lighter. Seems like Walmart get the low grade Iams. Lol I will no longer buy Iams. Their product is terrible and scary seeing my cat get sick from it.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2019

I'm reporting this in the hopes that Iams pet food is investigated. In fact, I demand it. I think it's very important that we divulge what state we're from, and also where we bought our Iams Cat Food. We live in Iowa and we've always bought Iams Proactive Health cat food at WalMart. In August, 2019, our much loved large breed cat stopped eating his Iams Proactive Health cat food. He's been eating Iams since the day we brought him home as a kitten.

Beginning in early August, he began acting like he was quite ill. I would feed him his Iams, but he would just sit and stare at his food bowl. He was vomiting green bile daily. He was drinking more water than usual. He stopped grooming himself and his beautiful coat looked horrible. Because he wasn't grooming himself he developed severe matting in his fur. He was lethargic, and he wasn't the social cat we were used to. Instead of being the energetic, sociable cat he once was, he would hide underneath our bed all day, and all night. The light in his eyes was gone.

He weighed well over 15 pounds, before he stopped eating, but when the veterinarian saw him, he'd lost five pounds! What's interesting is that our cat would not eat his Iams, but he was very interested in eating the dog's food. The veterinarian thought that was rather odd, and so did we. That said, dog food is not good for felines.

The veterinarian kept him for several hours and said she'd call us when she was done doing blood work and examining him. She phoned us two hours later, and we went in to hear news that completely shattered our world. She said all four veterinarians in the pet clinic were in agreement that our cat has B-Cell Lymphoma. We asked if his blood tests were normal, and they were. But she said all of his symptoms were spot on for B-Cell Lymphoma. B-Cell Lymphoma is a blood cancer that develops in the lymph nodes. She added that his lymph nodes felt normal. But again, noted that it was odd that he was hungry for dog food.

She referred us to an emergency clinic for an ultrasound, a bone marrow biopsy, and chemotherapy.

This is a breakdown of the cost: Office visit : $125, Ultrasound : 426, Bone Marrow Biopsy : $2,231, Chemotherapy : $3,000 to $5,000. Because he wanted to eat dog food, on a hunch, I bought a different brand of food; Little Friskies Indoor Delight. He started eating like there was no tomorrow. I waited to report this because I wanted to be absolutely certain there was something wrong with the Iams food.

To date, 9/28/19, he has gained all of his weight back. He's grooming himself, he's not vomited once, and he's back to his normal energetic self. Please, PLEASE, PLEASE do some investigating into Iams Cat Food! Our little Papillon dog later developed similar symptoms while eating Iams Proactive Health food. I will post about this later.

Not sure about Iams Cat Food?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Cat Food for you.

Iams Cat Food expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Iams Cat Food is a company dedicated to providing pets with the best food possible. Iams was founded on the philosophy that pets need to be given the best nutrition possible. Since its founding, Iams has relentlessly researched new ways to improve their recipes and to ensure that their customers' furry family members are provided with all they deserve.

• Quality products: Iams never cuts corners when making their pet food, they ensure that all the ingredients they use can pass very rigorous test to ensure that they are safe for your pets.

• Tireless research: Iams' research has always resulted in groundbreaking new foods, they were the first to use many new types of food that better cater to the way your pet is supposed to eat.

• Innovative thinking: The company's research has always been centered around their innovative ideas, these ideas have led to healthier and higher quality foods.

• Food safety: They consistently surpasses all regulations placed on food production safety with their superior production guidelines, this ensures that your pet is provided with the best possible food and not anything that is unhealthy for them.

• Full refund guarantee: If a consumer is dissatisfied with any Iams product, Iams offers a 100% confidence guarantee and will provide a full refund for their product.

• Best for: Cats who need good nutrition and cats who need to lose weight.

by Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Iams Cat Food Company Information