Iams Cat Food

Compare Cat Food

Research top Cat Food recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

In May 2013, I bought new bag of IAMS cat food. It smelled and looked odd. My cat didn't want to eat it. I forced her to eat it because I thought she was being picky because it smelled different not realizing it was contaminated. (MY CAT KNEW IT WAS BAD.) She started vomiting and had bloody diarrhea. I took her to vet, they did ultrasound and said her intestines were inflamed...with swollen lymph nodes. They removed the inflamed intestines TWICE ($2000 and worth it to save her)...but she died anyway. Iams announced recall of food in August for Salmonella. I BLAMED IAMS FOR MY CAT'S DEATH. They refused to acknowledge it MADE MY CAT SICK even after the recall. I TELL EVERYONE TO STAY AWAY FROM IAMS.

I switched my cats over to Iams dry cat food, for weight management, about a month ago. I bought three bags. I went through the the first bag, mixed with the brand food they were initially on for a long time. Now I'm halfway through the second bag. I feed the ferals outside as well. I noticed one of my indoor cats, Max the male had diarrhea but I just thought it was due to the switching. I gave them other canned wet food as well, a little once a day. I switched over like suggested by the veterinarians. The male cat, Max would not stop with the diarrhea. It was literally all over the litter box, on rugs, and by doorways. I again just thought it was him because my female looked like she was doing fine, so I thought, because she was eating it. Then my Male started to vomit, and I had to bring him to vet. After lots testing, X-ray, and bloodwork, they can't really find anything.

I use a natural deformed to see if this is the culprit, and as recommended I do the boiled chicken and rice, and gave him pills for nausea. He started doing better. I noticed he was back to his old self, at least no vomiting and the diarrhea had seemed to stop. Well a few days go by, and so I started adding back the Iams. The male, Max, gobbled it up, while the female Luna, who was not sick would not eat the Iams at all. The symptoms came back for Max, and now Luna is sick. There's no doubt in my mind it's the Iams! I am so mad that as a consumer, we spend a little extra to keep our babies healthy, and here we are unintentionally poisoning them. Something needs to be done. I will never, ever buy Iams again, and I am throwing out the last two bags I have. I am even concerned for the freaks outside as I cannot monitor them or their defecation process but they don't look well.

Saved the life of my cats! I had fed my cats IAMS Low pH for years. It controlled urinary crystal problems and they enjoyed the food. When I moved to another state, my veterinarian did not provide IAM products, so switched to a Royal Cannin Low pH product. After 3 years when I opened a bag, the cats turned up their noses. I called the company to see if something had changed and they said no. So I continued to feed it to them.

After a period of time one cat developed loose stools that contained mucous streaked with blood and were very smelly. She was put on a probiotic that cost me $1/day that helped some but did not solve the problem. A year later my other cat dropped from 8.2# to 5.8# in six weeks. After the expense labs, radiology nd of trip to a specialist, the cause of her inflamed liver, pancreas, etc. was not found. One antibiotic did not help.

Because I had two sick cats, I decided to check online reviews on the product I was using. Lo and behold, I found many reviews of similar problems for cats and dogs--no problem for years, then either problems with bowels or rapid weight loss and even death. I got a prescription from my vet and I was able to get IAMS Low pH from another vet in another town (I now get the IAMS through Chewy.com). In a few weeks, the first cat had normal stools, and after 8 weeks my second cat had normal blood lab reports and had gained all of her weight back. IAMS saved the life of my cats.

The cat seems to like this dry food and it comes in many varieties such as hairball control. It is also available for cats of various ages. At one point during a recall, the company sent several coupons for free and reduced price cat food. The consumer only had to send in the barcode of the affected food for the coupons.

I used Iams indoor cat exclusively for about 2 years. I was very happy with it, my cats liked it and had very shiny healthy coats. It was just the price after a while because of how many cats I have. I needed something more affordable.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Iams Cat Food?

I don't know what to say, my cat doesn't even make eye contact with me. The food keeps her alive another day, I guess. Nothing else.

IAMS Dry cat food is the brand my cat Nena Maru will eat. Believe me. I've tried many other brands only to get a sniff and a walk away. When Nikolas (I miss my boy) was alive he would only eat Nutro but Nena would not so then I had to find a brand they both would eat and that became IAMS Original flavor. I love IAMS Dry because it keeps Nena's fur shiny, she has loads of energy and she is a happy cat! =)

My cat is a picky eater, but she likes Iams. The vet always comments on her great teeth (she's 15 and has no dental issues). I'm convinced that it's because she eats crunchy food like this.

We have an 8-year-old "dog" like cat that will eat until it exploded if you left food out. We have a 5-year-old "cat" like cat that will nibble here and there (if we COULD let him) if we didn't have to babysit breakfast and dinner times. There was a time when both cats had gotten a bit overweight and the 8-year-old "big guy" got a lot overweight. I am not sure how the company pulled it off but I switched to this from regular Iams adult cat food. They both lost what weight they BOTH needed but neither was starved. They both received a measured amount and they both lost the right amount for their size.

The big guy was a 20 lb cat but is now down to 16-17 lbs (depending on how much we watch and protect "Lil guy" from being pushed out of the way). Lil guy was at 15 lbs which was "ok" but should be around 12 or 13 lbs. In the same time big guy lost 6 lbs, Lil guy lost his 2 pounds all at a healthy pace and now both are more active and "kitten" like in behavior. I know they will live to be at least 18 just like the cat we had that passed away earlier this year. He was also on the same cat food but he was allowed outside. Our cats are not.

Expert Review

Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.    More about Dr. Ken Tudor→

Iams Cat Food is a company dedicated to providing pets with the best food possible. Iams was founded on the philosophy that pets need to be given the best nutrition possible. Since its founding, Iams has relentlessly researched new ways to improve their recipes and to ensure that their customers' furry family members are provided with all they deserve.

• Quality products: Iams never cuts corners when making their pet food, they ensure that all the ingredients they use can pass very rigorous test to ensure that they are safe for your pets.
  • Tireless research: Iams' research has always resulted in groundbreaking new foods, they were the first to use many new types of food that better cater to the way your pet is supposed to eat.
  • Innovative thinking: The company's research has always been centered around their innovative ideas, these ideas have led to healthier and higher quality foods.
  • Food safety: They consistently surpasses all regulations placed on food production safety with their superior production guidelines, this ensures that your pet is provided with the best possible food and not anything that is unhealthy for them.
  • Full refund guarantee: If a consumer is dissatisfied with any Iams product, Iams offers a 100% confidence guarantee and will provide a full refund for their product.
  • Best for Cats who need good nutrition and cats who need to lose weight.

Compare Cat Food