2. Pets

Find your favorite pet products today

Shop now on Chewy

Visit Website

Iams Cat Food Reviews

Original review: March 9, 2020

I started buying Iams after not being able to find Purina in my usual supermarket. I'd never noticed it before so thought I'd try it. In the last 3 months I've bought maybe 2 of each. After buying the 2nd bag in a row for my cat and noticing he was eating less and less and drinking more water I was becoming worried for him. He was losing so much weight and he's only 5 so should be healthy. Woke up one day last week and he had vomited all over the house. The most amount of vomit I've seen any of my cats do. That was the day I found these reviews. His fur was dull, his personality had changed to be more aggressive, drinking HEAPS more water and not eating. He has ALWAYS been obsessed with food because he was a stray so when he's not eating there's something wrong.

Now I've got him Purina bikkies and Urinary pouches. He's eating and active again. His coat is shiny and he's back to trying to get everyone to feed him 10 times a day. He's eating like he's been starving for months. Avoid Iams like the plague. Not good at all. There is also a FB group calling for their boycotting and in the UK too they are one of the worst rated foods. Should be illegal.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

I fed my cat Iams and was always very pleased with the result as my cat lived to the age of twenty three. We have recently got a rescue cat aged eight she has been eating wet food pouches and a different brand biscuit to graze on. Two weeks ago I thought I would try Iams as I had had such a positive result with my other cat. However since being on Iams she has had very loose motions. Either the company that make Iams have changed the recipe in the six years since my other cat passed or it just doesn’t suit my cat.

Get buying tips about Cat Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

I live in Canada so I have no hope of getting any help because cat and dog food is not regulated here. I have had the same problem with my cat vomiting the food up as soon as she eats it. She was on the regular Iams (green bag) and I noticed that she was vomiting then but I thought it was because she need to have senior food. This is reminiscent of quite a few years ago when pretty much all brands of cat and dog food had a product from China that when the food was tested it boosted the amount of protein in the food. This cause countless animals to die and caused kidney problems in others. We eventually had to get our cat put down because of it. Seems like just another case of greedy companies using chemicals or whatever in their food to boost their profits. By the way it was 2007 and it was melamine that was added to dog and cat food.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

My indoor cats and my feral have been eating Iams 10 years now. Recently I purchased two large bags and my indoor cats are very sick vomiting violently severe diarrhea. They became severely dehydrated. I really did not know what was happening. I went outside to check on the feral cats and I was stunned that not any of them would eat the food so that is when I realized it is the food. Seriously my cat Lambie almost died. He is on antibiotics and lots of fluid. All my poor sweet animals have lost weight. I am truly worried because they have matted coats from not grooming themselves. I called the very reputable company I use to purchase the food and I was told to stop using it immediately so I did. So please everyone be very cautious giving your furry love bug this food.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

My cat was on this brand for many years. She was a rescue cat, always small and always kind of rough coated with a kind of dandruff problem. I was told years ago Iams was a good brand so I stuck with it and she ate it well. Last summer quite suddenly she started vomiting. Once a every few days at first then it quickly progressed to daily then multiple times a day. I grew quite alarmed at that point and knew this wasn't just from hairballs.

Before I booked a vet appointment I decided to go online and consult Mr. Google and I found all these reviews. Hum, could this be? So I threw out the Iams, went to the pet store and bought the best limited ingredient food they had. I figured for it to be a real test it needed to be as limited ingredient as possible. Lo and behold she NEVER vomited again, not once. Yes it's more expensive but honestly not by a huge amount because she eats less of it and that little rough cat has turned round and full and her coat is silky and lush. What a difference. She also has turned into a kitten again..playing and running around like crazy. AVOID IAMS!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Iams Cat Food?

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

I was away for a few days and I had my kids buy some cat food for our cats. I told them to buy IAMS but they went to Walmart to get it. My cats will not eat it and the pellets are different shapes and colors than the last bag I bought at a grocery store. With the other reviews I have read I am now very concerned for my cats. I will be contacting the company tomorrow and expecting to get my money back.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

We have tried the Orange bag IAMS™ PROACTIVE HEALTH™ INDOOR WEIGHT & HAIRBALL CARE. PROACTIVE HEALTH™ food for our four cats and they puke every time we have tried them on it. We have only used it when their brand is out of stock, but every time it has made them all get very sick. It seems like this is a common problem.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

September 9th of 2019 I was given an 8 week old kitten from a friend. She was in good health (even though she was a little small due to being the runt) and when I took her to the vet at 9 weeks they said she was perfectly healthy. My vet recommended that I switch to another food from what I was feeding her and one of the options was Iams Proactive Kitten Food. I switched her foods how I was supposed to, gradually, and she seemed okay for a few days. Until I noticed that she was throwing up every time she ate and wouldn’t touch her food anymore.

I took her to the vet as soon as I could and she was about 11 weeks, they told me she was probably throwing up because I switched her food too fast and that it should subside and she seemed in good health. I believed them but within a week and a half later she passed away. I later found this thread and I wholeheartedly believe it was the Iams kitten food that caused her untimely death. Rest In Paradise my sweet Aurora.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2019

My family has two cats, both 12 years old. We have been feeding them Iams since they were kittens and they have never had a problem. As they have grown up, we have switched their Iams brand of food to match their age/stage of life, again, experiencing no problems. Unfortunately, that is no longer the case. Our cats have, both, been experiencing diarrhea and have been vomiting not long after eating the Iams Mature Senior food. Our smallest cat got REALLY sick a few months back, necessitating a trip to the vet. All tests run on both cats revealed negative results. We're beginning to believe it's the food, because they are both experiencing frequent diarrhea and vomiting, not long after eating. We've talked about changing their food to another brand, especially after reading the comments everyone else has posted on this forum. I hope Iams gets the message because it absolutely heartbreaking to see our precious pets get so sick after eating.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2019

My 12 year old cat has been on Iams since a kitten. He has recently starting vomiting within 5 min of eating Iams. He does not throw up when he eats chicken, fish and wet cat food. I have thrown out all the Iams we have in the house.

Iams Cat Food author review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Iams Cat Food is a company dedicated to providing pets with the best food possible. Iams was founded on the philosophy that pets need to be given the best nutrition possible. Since its founding, Iams has relentlessly researched new ways to improve their recipes and to ensure that their customers' furry family members are provided with all they deserve.

• Quality products: Iams never cuts corners when making their pet food, they ensure that all the ingredients they use can pass very rigorous test to ensure that they are safe for your pets.

• Tireless research: Iams' research has always resulted in groundbreaking new foods, they were the first to use many new types of food that better cater to the way your pet is supposed to eat.

• Innovative thinking: The company's research has always been centered around their innovative ideas, these ideas have led to healthier and higher quality foods.

• Food safety: They consistently surpasses all regulations placed on food production safety with their superior production guidelines, this ensures that your pet is provided with the best possible food and not anything that is unhealthy for them.

• Full refund guarantee: If a consumer is dissatisfied with any Iams product, Iams offers a 100% confidence guarantee and will provide a full refund for their product.

by Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Iams Cat Food Company Information