1.10/5

Need help choosing a cat food brand?

Iams Cat Food

Need help choosing a cat food brand?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Iams Cat Food Reviews

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

September 9th of 2019 I was given an 8 week old kitten from a friend. She was in good health (even though she was a little small due to being the runt) and when I took her to the vet at 9 weeks they said she was perfectly healthy. My vet recommended that I switch to another food from what I was feeding her and one of the options was Iams Proactive Kitten Food. I switched her foods how I was supposed to, gradually, and she seemed okay for a few days. Until I noticed that she was throwing up every time she ate and wouldn’t touch her food anymore.

I took her to the vet as soon as I could and she was about 11 weeks, they told me she was probably throwing up because I switched her food too fast and that it should subside and she seemed in good health. I believed them but within a week and a half later she passed away. I later found this thread and I wholeheartedly believe it was the Iams kitten food that caused her untimely death. Rest In Paradise my sweet Aurora.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2019

My family has two cats, both 12 years old. We have been feeding them Iams since they were kittens and they have never had a problem. As they have grown up, we have switched their Iams brand of food to match their age/stage of life, again, experiencing no problems. Unfortunately, that is no longer the case. Our cats have, both, been experiencing diarrhea and have been vomiting not long after eating the Iams Mature Senior food. Our smallest cat got REALLY sick a few months back, necessitating a trip to the vet. All tests run on both cats revealed negative results. We're beginning to believe it's the food, because they are both experiencing frequent diarrhea and vomiting, not long after eating. We've talked about changing their food to another brand, especially after reading the comments everyone else has posted on this forum. I hope Iams gets the message because it absolutely heartbreaking to see our precious pets get so sick after eating.

Get expert buying tips about Cat Food delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: Nov. 3, 2019

My 12 year old cat has been on Iams since a kitten. He has recently starting vomiting within 5 min of eating Iams. He does not throw up when he eats chicken, fish and wet cat food. I have thrown out all the Iams we have in the house.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

I have a 3 year old neutered male cat who was recently diagnosed with FIC. The be recommended I change his food to one of the urinary tract health cat foods. I started with Purina One urinary tract health and he hated it. He was barely eating so I decided to try this Iams food. He loved it, but later that same day he started having diarrhea. I thought it was just from switching foods again. The next day he was still eating but the diarrhea persisted and he started becoming lethargic and dehydrated. I will never feed this kind of food to my cat again. I'm also so glad that other people wrote reviews on here about this food. It has probably saved his life.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

I have been buying Iams a long time for my 2 cats. For starters does everyone know that Iams cat food brand is owned.by the Mars Candy Company. Just found that out after doing a little research. Anytime I buy. Iams cat food from Walmart my cats get sick. Or they won't eat it. And the Iams at Walmart the dry food orange bag anytime I bought that at Walmart. It's a lot darker the morsels then when I buy same thing in other places. It's a lot lighter. Seems like Walmart get the low grade Iams. Lol I will no longer buy Iams. Their product is terrible and scary seeing my cat get sick from it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Iams Cat Food?

Original review: Sept. 28, 2019

I'm reporting this in the hopes that Iams pet food is investigated. In fact, I demand it. I think it's very important that we divulge what state we're from, and also where we bought our Iams Cat Food. We live in Iowa and we've always bought Iams Proactive Health cat food at WalMart. In August, 2019, our much loved large breed cat stopped eating his Iams Proactive Health cat food. He's been eating Iams since the day we brought him home as a kitten.

Beginning in early August, he began acting like he was quite ill. I would feed him his Iams, but he would just sit and stare at his food bowl. He was vomiting green bile daily. He was drinking more water than usual. He stopped grooming himself and his beautiful coat looked horrible. Because he wasn't grooming himself he developed severe matting in his fur. He was lethargic, and he wasn't the social cat we were used to. Instead of being the energetic, sociable cat he once was, he would hide underneath our bed all day, and all night. The light in his eyes was gone.

He weighed well over 15 pounds, before he stopped eating, but when the veterinarian saw him, he'd lost five pounds! What's interesting is that our cat would not eat his Iams, but he was very interested in eating the dog's food. The veterinarian thought that was rather odd, and so did we. That said, dog food is not good for felines.

The veterinarian kept him for several hours and said she'd call us when she was done doing blood work and examining him. She phoned us two hours later, and we went in to hear news that completely shattered our world. She said all four veterinarians in the pet clinic were in agreement that our cat has B-Cell Lymphoma. We asked if his blood tests were normal, and they were. But she said all of his symptoms were spot on for B-Cell Lymphoma. B-Cell Lymphoma is a blood cancer that develops in the lymph nodes. She added that his lymph nodes felt normal. But again, noted that it was odd that he was hungry for dog food.

She referred us to an emergency clinic for an ultrasound, a bone marrow biopsy, and chemotherapy.

This is a breakdown of the cost: Office visit : $125, Ultrasound : 426, Bone Marrow Biopsy : $2,231, Chemotherapy : $3,000 to $5,000. Because he wanted to eat dog food, on a hunch, I bought a different brand of food; Little Friskies Indoor Delight. He started eating like there was no tomorrow. I waited to report this because I wanted to be absolutely certain there was something wrong with the Iams food.

To date, 9/28/19, he has gained all of his weight back. He's grooming himself, he's not vomited once, and he's back to his normal energetic self. Please, PLEASE, PLEASE do some investigating into Iams Cat Food! Our little Papillon dog later developed similar symptoms while eating Iams Proactive Health food. I will post about this later.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2019

I am a TICA and CFA registered breeder and I recently switched jobs so my budget was a little tighter in between pay checks. I went out and purchased 5 bags of Iams dry cat food both the orange and turquoise bags from Walmart to tide my cats over for a few weeks while my pay is worked out. My cats did ok the first few days and then started vomiting projectile piles of cat food. I have several zones where my cats are housed and any new cats or cats set to leave are quarantined as well. Being that some of my cats do not ever interact with one another (studs for example) and the fact that there was vomit from each cat who ate the food I know there is something going on with the food itself. I will also be contacting Iams to try to be refunded for this as my cats cannot eat it obviously. One of my cats threw up so many times I have had to administer subcutaneous fluids for him. Please look into what is happening with your food!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

We've been giving our 2.5-year old cat IAMS Hairball Care Adult Cat Dry Food mixed with wet food for two years. 4 weeks ago, he started vomiting on a daily basis. First, he was repeating to eat and vomit and he started eating less and less every day while waiting for the appointment with our vet. It looked like vomiting and not eating made his sick worse. Only he was eating was his favorite treats at the end and one day he completely stopped eating and drinking water.

I knew if a cat does not eat even for 24 hours it could damage their organs so on the second day without eating, we could no longer wait the appointment and took him to an emergency. He has got the IV and got a x-ray, an ultrasound, and a blood test but the vet could not figure out why he was not eating and said he is a very healthy cat based on all test results and there is no reason that he is refusing to eat.

We took him home after two days in the emergency and he was given medications for anti-acid/vomiting and an appetite stimulant. Next day of the emergency, he started eating boiled chicken breast. It was less than 1 ounce at each meal but it was better nothing. We continued daily medications and syringe-feeding to force him to eat twice. He lost 4 lb in 4 weeks and he got so skinny so we were very glad to see him eating more and more without throwing up day by day and his grown appetite. After about a week of feeding chicken breast, we decided to try feeding him his regular wet food little by little mixing with chicken breast and he was eating them fine without getting sick until he was given dry food.

After eating just wet food for a few days, we mixed a few pieces of dry food with wet food in the morning and we increased dry food little by little on each meal. At the night of the second day we gave him dry food, he vomited all food he ate all over in our bed room. Then I decided to research about IAMS food and found these reviews. I should have done it earlier but after I saw all reviews there was no doubt the bag of dry food go to our garbage.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

I have been feeding my 2 cats Iams dry cat food for years. About 4 weeks ago my 10 yr old cat started vomiting once or twice a day. I got her to the vet who gave her a shot to make her stop vomiting and put her on an antibiotic in case she had a bacterial infection that was causing her to vomit. I leave the cat food out for my cats at all times. Within 2 hrs of the shot, cat vomited again. While on the antibiotic, she went two days without vomiting but started back up.

I have an appointment on Friday to get the blood panel work done since she is still vomiting. In between all of this, my other cat vomited once and then tonight they are BOTH vomiting. I Googled Iams and vomiting and came across all these reviews tonight. I ran to the store and have bought a bag of Rachael Ray Nutrish and have thrown out the Iams. Will be showing the reviews to my vet on Friday. Along with this, my 10 yr old cat’s fur over time has gotten rough, shedding like crazy, and has patches of skin that look like bad dandruff, plus just lays around A LOT, which matches what all of these other posts are saying. What is our recourse?

Original review: Aug. 20, 2019

We originally started getting our kittens Blue healthy kitten food and they loved it, but as they hit a year old we decided to try Science diet urinary tract dry food because we were told cats are susceptible to UTI'S and our local store didn't carry anything like that in Blue brand. We did notice occasional vomiting so thought it was the brand and switched to Iams. Almost immediately they were both vomiting undigested food. Projectile vomiting at times and then the one sickly kitty became lethargic, sleeping more than usual, crabbier than usual and then heavy salivating so today we decided to just switch them back to Blue and I recently added a probiotics immune booster to their canned food. I decided to see if their were any complaints on this food and found this site with reviews with similar problems and wise! I'm so glad that we decided to switch before it was too late. Never again will I buy this brand.

Iams Cat Food expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Iams Cat Food is a company dedicated to providing pets with the best food possible. Iams was founded on the philosophy that pets need to be given the best nutrition possible. Since its founding, Iams has relentlessly researched new ways to improve their recipes and to ensure that their customers' furry family members are provided with all they deserve.

• Quality products: Iams never cuts corners when making their pet food, they ensure that all the ingredients they use can pass very rigorous test to ensure that they are safe for your pets.

• Tireless research: Iams' research has always resulted in groundbreaking new foods, they were the first to use many new types of food that better cater to the way your pet is supposed to eat.

• Innovative thinking: The company's research has always been centered around their innovative ideas, these ideas have led to healthier and higher quality foods.

• Food safety: They consistently surpasses all regulations placed on food production safety with their superior production guidelines, this ensures that your pet is provided with the best possible food and not anything that is unhealthy for them.

• Full refund guarantee: If a consumer is dissatisfied with any Iams product, Iams offers a 100% confidence guarantee and will provide a full refund for their product.

• Best for: Cats who need good nutrition and cats who need to lose weight.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
      Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Iams Cat Food Company Information