1.20/5

Need help choosing a cat food brand?

Iams Cat Food

Need help choosing a cat food brand?

107 Iams Cat Food Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

We've been giving our 2.5-year old cat IAMS Hairball Care Adult Cat Dry Food mixed with wet food for two years. 4 weeks ago, he started vomiting on a daily basis. First, he was repeating to eat and vomit and he started eating less and less every day while waiting for the appointment with our vet. It looked like vomiting and not eating made his sick worse. Only he was eating was his favorite treats at the end and one day he completely stopped eating and drinking water.

I knew if a cat does not eat even for 24 hours it could damage their organs so on the second day without eating, we could no longer wait the appointment and took him to an emergency. He has got the IV and got a x-ray, an ultrasound, and a blood test but the vet could not figure out why he was not eating and said he is a very healthy cat based on all test results and there is no reason that he is refusing to eat.

We took him home after two days in the emergency and he was given medications for anti-acid/vomiting and an appetite stimulant. Next day of the emergency, he started eating boiled chicken breast. It was less than 1 ounce at each meal but it was better nothing. We continued daily medications and syringe-feeding to force him to eat twice. He lost 4 lb in 4 weeks and he got so skinny so we were very glad to see him eating more and more without throwing up day by day and his grown appetite. After about a week of feeding chicken breast, we decided to try feeding him his regular wet food little by little mixing with chicken breast and he was eating them fine without getting sick until he was given dry food.

After eating just wet food for a few days, we mixed a few pieces of dry food with wet food in the morning and we increased dry food little by little on each meal. At the night of the second day we gave him dry food, he vomited all food he ate all over in our bed room. Then I decided to research about IAMS food and found these reviews. I should have done it earlier but after I saw all reviews there was no doubt the bag of dry food go to our garbage.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

I have been feeding my 2 cats Iams dry cat food for years. About 4 weeks ago my 10 yr old cat started vomiting once or twice a day. I got her to the vet who gave her a shot to make her stop vomiting and put her on an antibiotic in case she had a bacterial infection that was causing her to vomit. I leave the cat food out for my cats at all times. Within 2 hrs of the shot, cat vomited again. While on the antibiotic, she went two days without vomiting but started back up.

I have an appointment on Friday to get the blood panel work done since she is still vomiting. In between all of this, my other cat vomited once and then tonight they are BOTH vomiting. I Googled Iams and vomiting and came across all these reviews tonight. I ran to the store and have bought a bag of Rachael Ray Nutrish and have thrown out the Iams. Will be showing the reviews to my vet on Friday. Along with this, my 10 yr old cat’s fur over time has gotten rough, shedding like crazy, and has patches of skin that look like bad dandruff, plus just lays around A LOT, which matches what all of these other posts are saying. What is our recourse?

Get expert buying tips about Cat Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2019

We originally started getting our kittens Blue healthy kitten food and they loved it, but as they hit a year old we decided to try Science diet urinary tract dry food because we were told cats are susceptible to UTI'S and our local store didn't carry anything like that in Blue brand. We did notice occasional vomiting so thought it was the brand and switched to Iams. Almost immediately they were both vomiting undigested food. Projectile vomiting at times and then the one sickly kitty became lethargic, sleeping more than usual, crabbier than usual and then heavy salivating so today we decided to just switch them back to Blue and I recently added a probiotics immune booster to their canned food. I decided to see if their were any complaints on this food and found this site with reviews with similar problems and wise! I'm so glad that we decided to switch before it was too late. Never again will I buy this brand.

Original review: July 21, 2019

We have 12 cats so I decided to give them some variety in the dry food we give them. A few years ago I began buying Iams dry food in various types to have alongside the Purina blue food I give them. For a long time the cats ate either type in the same quantity. About 6 months ago I noticed they were not eating the Iams, and would not eat until I put the Purina out for them. Not even the feral cats on the porch would eat it. I came looking for a way to ask Iams if they had changed their recipe, and found these warnings. I threw away the 3 bags of Iams I had just bought and am looking for a new "other food" to give them.

Original review: July 1, 2019

I bought the food at Chewy.com but I am not putting a receipt in here. You will have to trust that I actually bought this food. In April, I decided to see if I could give my (older) cats something different and tasty to eat. So I bought Iams Cat Food. Iams Urinary tract formula. What I am reading in these reviews match my experience VERY closely. I have male/female siblings, the male was pretty unhealthy, so I thought it a coincidence that he became lethargic and sort of ill. He then died of a (not diagnosed) problem that from what I have read matched symptoms of congestive heart failure or feline asthma.

I continued to feed the female the food mixed 1:1 with a lower calorie urinary tract formula food they ate for years. After a few months she is showing the same symptoms as the male did. Lethargy, hair lose, dry/unhealthy hair, coughing fits, and additionally constant (unusual) thirst. This has scared me enough to throw out the remainder of the food and start again feeding the (Purina) urinary tract formula. If you are feeding this food and see these symptoms, STOP! The death I saw of the first cat was horrible and traumatic... gasping for breath and obviously terrified! I would avoid feeding this food and find something else. I very much wish I had read the reviews before I bought the stuff!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Iams Cat Food?

Original review: June 24, 2019

I purchased Iams Proactive Health, Healthy Senior today. I mixed a bit in with her current food and she ate it up pretty quick. I’m not even sure why but I decided to read some reviews and became terrified from everything I read. About an hour after she ate, she was just acting very strange almost like she was confused, I could tell she wasn’t herself and became sick and puked most of it up. I tossed the bag out. I just wanted to share my experience in hopes to save anyone else from putting their car in danger from this toxic food. Blows my mind that companies can sell this crap.

Original review: June 16, 2019

The only reason I gave them 1 star is because they wouldn't allow keeping them all blank. I started feeding our 3 cats Iams Urinary Tract dry food in January to give them something different. By March, 1 cat, who had been healthy died unexpectedly of Kidney failure. He started losing weight right after I started them on it, but, I just thought it was because I was restricting his food intake to get him to lose weight. But, he lost 5lbs from February, when he was last at the vet to March when he died. Now, my 2 other cats are starting to throw up on a daily basis after eating their dried food (they don't get sick when I feed them their Friskies canned food at night), and their stools are now black.

After reading these reviews, I am convinced this food killed my 1 cat & is now hurting my 2 others. I will be throwing out what we have left of the Iams today, after reading these other reviews and heading to Target to get the Purina I was buying before. Someone needs to look in to the problems with this food before anyone else loses their furry loved one.

Original review: June 7, 2019

Bought Iams food when pet store was out of our usual Purina product. Within one week I realized my cat was drinking much more water - as much as 24 oz. in a day - and producing copious amounts of urine. His normally silky coat had become coarse and dry. There was some weight loss and an obvious decrease in energy. I thought to check online and discovered many complaints about this brand causing serious health problems in cats. We immediately resumed using the Purina brand. In 4 days my cat was drinking reasonable amounts of water and urine output had returned to normal. He looks better and seems much more his old self. I hate to think what might have happened had my cat continued to consume the Iams food.

Original review: May 22, 2019

I have had three cats die May 2019 and the only thing I have done is feed them Iams Cat Food. Recently I mixed in Iams Adult urinary tract health nonprescription food. I've had some vomiting, and three dead. There are no warning signs except they may eat less until the day they die when you may noticed faster or labored breathing, fluid build up in their abdomen, chest and heart. They are dying of kidney failure within the day. I have reported this to the FDA today 5-22-19.

Original review: May 16, 2019

On a whim I decided to buy a bag of Iams Weight & Hairball Control (light blue bag). This is the first time my cats have ever tried any Iams food. After 2 days of feeding my 3 cats this food they became sick with one cats almost dying. They all three became very lethargic “out of it” acting the first day. The second day of feeding the cats Iams food 2 of them were still lethargic, not eating or drinking and our oldest cat was in bad shape. He could barely walk, his face was swollen and he kept his mouth open and shaking. He looked very bad and we thought he was dying.

We took the oldest cat to the vet and they could not find anything wrong with except for he was a little dehydrated. The vet figure he had got ahold of a bug or a frog and sent him home with us. We had not yet suspected the food. The next morning all 3 cats were still not well and our oldest was in very bad shape. I started to suspect the food and removed it from their bowl and gave them their regular food. We then took our oldest one back to the vet where they still could not figure out what was going on. The vet gave him a steroid shot and some antibiotics and sent him home again.

Since stopping the Iams food and switching back to our original food, 2 of the cats are back to normal. The oldest cat is getting better but is still not back to his normal self. The only change that could have sickened my cats was me giving them Iams food. They got sick after eating it and got better when I stopped giving it to them. It only took 3 days of feeding them Iams to almost kill them. I will never ever feed my animals another Iams product again. Food that acts like poison should be pulled from the shelves. Waiting on blood work results to confirm what made them cats sick. If it’s the food (which I’m 99% sure it was) Iams will be paying my vet bills.

Iams Cat Food expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Iams Cat Food is a company dedicated to providing pets with the best food possible. Iams was founded on the philosophy that pets need to be given the best nutrition possible. Since its founding, Iams has relentlessly researched new ways to improve their recipes and to ensure that their customers' furry family members are provided with all they deserve.

• Quality products: Iams never cuts corners when making their pet food, they ensure that all the ingredients they use can pass very rigorous test to ensure that they are safe for your pets.

• Tireless research: Iams' research has always resulted in groundbreaking new foods, they were the first to use many new types of food that better cater to the way your pet is supposed to eat.

• Innovative thinking: The company's research has always been centered around their innovative ideas, these ideas have led to healthier and higher quality foods.

• Food safety: They consistently surpasses all regulations placed on food production safety with their superior production guidelines, this ensures that your pet is provided with the best possible food and not anything that is unhealthy for them.

• Full refund guarantee: If a consumer is dissatisfied with any Iams product, Iams offers a 100% confidence guarantee and will provide a full refund for their product.

• Best for: Cats who need good nutrition and cats who need to lose weight.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
      Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Iams Cat Food Company Information