2. Pets

Save 30% on your first autoship

Shop your favorite brands on Chewy.com

Shop now

Iams Cat Food Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Iams Cat Food?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Iams Cat Food?

Original review: July 13, 2020

Our cat seems to like the dry as much as the wet. It doesn't give him the runs or hairballs. It doesn't seem to make his poo strong smelling either. It's a little pricey. Sometimes have a hard time finding the one he eats at stores without going to a pet store.

Original review: July 8, 2020

My two cats love Iam's cat food. We recently got a recommendation from an employee at the pet food store to switch to the Iam's food for elderly cats. This is exactly what my older cat needed as it has smaller morsels that are easier for him to chew since having many teeth removed. Both our cats really love the taste of the food and have had less vomiting from them since switching.

Original review: July 7, 2020

We have two rescue cats; Pepper, a black Persian and Lila, a little Tabby. We tried various dry foods (along with a compliment of wet food) but our cats were coughing hairballs weekly. We found Iams hairball prevention cat food; and the cats not only love the taste, it has eliminated hairballs. We plan to only use Iams because it is a quality food for our sweet kitties.

Original review: July 6, 2020

I have an older cat that has been on a diet of Iams dry cat food and another brand of wet food. We recently changed to the individual meals of Iams wet food with the dry food. She loves it. Her coat is nicer and she eats less wet food because it has more nutrients and she doesn’t need as much. Her coat is nicer and she is more satisfied with less food.

Original review: July 5, 2020

My cat's litter box is much more tolerable to clean since I switched them to this brand. No more diarrhea and less vomiting. Hairballs still happen. But that's a problem for another day. They really had no problem switching either. They used to eat mainly soft food but they really like this brand. So now it's about half & half.

Original review: July 4, 2020

This food keeps my kitties happy. I have them in age from 4-15. Healthy happy cats! I started it for my older kitty with bladder issues. He started to perk up and we ended up giving it to all of them. I recommend this food to anyone wanting to keep their cats healthy with a food that they like.

Original review: July 3, 2020

The animals enjoy the food. I have no problem with their eating habits. I have dogs too and they want to eat the cat food. Funny! I don't allow that. The food is a good price and it's healthy. Thank you for the wonderful healthy product. I will keep buying it.

Original review: July 2, 2020

Iams has been a well known brand for some years and the benefits it offers my friend's cat is great. I take care of her most of the time when he is away so Iams is the only brand he gives her. She is a very healthy and beautiful cat.

Original review: June 19, 2020

Two weeks ago I introduced Iams 7+ into the diet of our 2 cats, they were healthy 12 year old dsh. A few days ago my girl cat suddenly changed. She became subdued lethargic and very vocal. She was drinking much more than before and had started doing wees in the house. All out of character. I took her to the vets on Sunday. They said she was constipated and I brought her home. However by Wednesday I knew something wasn't right and took her back to the vets and they kept her in for tests. She had lost 1/2 kg since the Sunday, her bloods (creating marker) were sky high and she was chronically dehydrated. She did not recover and sadly this morning she had to be out to sleep.

Something made me think what if it's the food (even though I told the vet and he said it wouldn't be) and I came across this site where it seems others have had a similar experience. This is awful! I've only read the first couple of reviews but wanted to add mine immediately. This won't bring our beloved family pet back but might save others and should clearly be looked into!

Original review: June 12, 2020

My cat is/ was 16 and has been eating this for 8 years. May 5 I received my usual auto ship of food. Within 2 days she started vomiting, then diahrea and weight loss. I kept feeding it to her for 3 weeks until my roommate bought Iams for their cat. The same thing started to happen to their kitty. I immediately switched to Blue, but it was too late. My cat was down to 3 lbs when I took her in yesterday. Her liver had shut down. I laid her to rest yesterday. I don't know what was changed in the recipe, but it is making cats sick. I am heartbroken. She was perfectly healthy and running and playing with me until 3 weeks of eating her normal food. Someone, please investigate this.

Original review: March 9, 2020

I started buying Iams after not being able to find Purina in my usual supermarket. I'd never noticed it before so thought I'd try it. In the last 3 months I've bought maybe 2 of each. After buying the 2nd bag in a row for my cat and noticing he was eating less and less and drinking more water I was becoming worried for him. He was losing so much weight and he's only 5 so should be healthy. Woke up one day last week and he had vomited all over the house. The most amount of vomit I've seen any of my cats do. That was the day I found these reviews. His fur was dull, his personality had changed to be more aggressive, drinking HEAPS more water and not eating. He has ALWAYS been obsessed with food because he was a stray so when he's not eating there's something wrong.

Now I've got him Purina bikkies and Urinary pouches. He's eating and active again. His coat is shiny and he's back to trying to get everyone to feed him 10 times a day. He's eating like he's been starving for months. Avoid Iams like the plague. Not good at all. There is also a FB group calling for their boycotting and in the UK too they are one of the worst rated foods. Should be illegal.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

I fed my cat Iams and was always very pleased with the result as my cat lived to the age of twenty three. We have recently got a rescue cat aged eight she has been eating wet food pouches and a different brand biscuit to graze on. Two weeks ago I thought I would try Iams as I had had such a positive result with my other cat. However since being on Iams she has had very loose motions. Either the company that make Iams have changed the recipe in the six years since my other cat passed or it just doesn’t suit my cat.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

I live in Canada so I have no hope of getting any help because cat and dog food is not regulated here. I have had the same problem with my cat vomiting the food up as soon as she eats it. She was on the regular Iams (green bag) and I noticed that she was vomiting then but I thought it was because she need to have senior food. This is reminiscent of quite a few years ago when pretty much all brands of cat and dog food had a product from China that when the food was tested it boosted the amount of protein in the food. This cause countless animals to die and caused kidney problems in others. We eventually had to get our cat put down because of it. Seems like just another case of greedy companies using chemicals or whatever in their food to boost their profits. By the way it was 2007 and it was melamine that was added to dog and cat food.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

My indoor cats and my feral have been eating Iams 10 years now. Recently I purchased two large bags and my indoor cats are very sick vomiting violently severe diarrhea. They became severely dehydrated. I really did not know what was happening. I went outside to check on the feral cats and I was stunned that not any of them would eat the food so that is when I realized it is the food. Seriously my cat Lambie almost died. He is on antibiotics and lots of fluid. All my poor sweet animals have lost weight. I am truly worried because they have matted coats from not grooming themselves. I called the very reputable company I use to purchase the food and I was told to stop using it immediately so I did. So please everyone be very cautious giving your furry love bug this food.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

My cat was on this brand for many years. She was a rescue cat, always small and always kind of rough coated with a kind of dandruff problem. I was told years ago Iams was a good brand so I stuck with it and she ate it well. Last summer quite suddenly she started vomiting. Once a every few days at first then it quickly progressed to daily then multiple times a day. I grew quite alarmed at that point and knew this wasn't just from hairballs.

Before I booked a vet appointment I decided to go online and consult Mr. Google and I found all these reviews. Hum, could this be? So I threw out the Iams, went to the pet store and bought the best limited ingredient food they had. I figured for it to be a real test it needed to be as limited ingredient as possible. Lo and behold she NEVER vomited again, not once. Yes it's more expensive but honestly not by a huge amount because she eats less of it and that little rough cat has turned round and full and her coat is silky and lush. What a difference. She also has turned into a kitten again..playing and running around like crazy. AVOID IAMS!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

I was away for a few days and I had my kids buy some cat food for our cats. I told them to buy IAMS but they went to Walmart to get it. My cats will not eat it and the pellets are different shapes and colors than the last bag I bought at a grocery store. With the other reviews I have read I am now very concerned for my cats. I will be contacting the company tomorrow and expecting to get my money back.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

We have tried the Orange bag IAMS™ PROACTIVE HEALTH™ INDOOR WEIGHT & HAIRBALL CARE. PROACTIVE HEALTH™ food for our four cats and they puke every time we have tried them on it. We have only used it when their brand is out of stock, but every time it has made them all get very sick. It seems like this is a common problem.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

September 9th of 2019 I was given an 8 week old kitten from a friend. She was in good health (even though she was a little small due to being the runt) and when I took her to the vet at 9 weeks they said she was perfectly healthy. My vet recommended that I switch to another food from what I was feeding her and one of the options was Iams Proactive Kitten Food. I switched her foods how I was supposed to, gradually, and she seemed okay for a few days. Until I noticed that she was throwing up every time she ate and wouldn’t touch her food anymore.

I took her to the vet as soon as I could and she was about 11 weeks, they told me she was probably throwing up because I switched her food too fast and that it should subside and she seemed in good health. I believed them but within a week and a half later she passed away. I later found this thread and I wholeheartedly believe it was the Iams kitten food that caused her untimely death. Rest In Paradise my sweet Aurora.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2019

My family has two cats, both 12 years old. We have been feeding them Iams since they were kittens and they have never had a problem. As they have grown up, we have switched their Iams brand of food to match their age/stage of life, again, experiencing no problems. Unfortunately, that is no longer the case. Our cats have, both, been experiencing diarrhea and have been vomiting not long after eating the Iams Mature Senior food. Our smallest cat got REALLY sick a few months back, necessitating a trip to the vet. All tests run on both cats revealed negative results. We're beginning to believe it's the food, because they are both experiencing frequent diarrhea and vomiting, not long after eating. We've talked about changing their food to another brand, especially after reading the comments everyone else has posted on this forum. I hope Iams gets the message because it absolutely heartbreaking to see our precious pets get so sick after eating.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2019

My 12 year old cat has been on Iams since a kitten. He has recently starting vomiting within 5 min of eating Iams. He does not throw up when he eats chicken, fish and wet cat food. I have thrown out all the Iams we have in the house.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

I have a 3 year old neutered male cat who was recently diagnosed with FIC. The be recommended I change his food to one of the urinary tract health cat foods. I started with Purina One urinary tract health and he hated it. He was barely eating so I decided to try this Iams food. He loved it, but later that same day he started having diarrhea. I thought it was just from switching foods again. The next day he was still eating but the diarrhea persisted and he started becoming lethargic and dehydrated. I will never feed this kind of food to my cat again. I'm also so glad that other people wrote reviews on here about this food. It has probably saved his life.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

I have been buying Iams a long time for my 2 cats. For starters does everyone know that Iams cat food brand is owned.by the Mars Candy Company. Just found that out after doing a little research. Anytime I buy. Iams cat food from Walmart my cats get sick. Or they won't eat it. And the Iams at Walmart the dry food orange bag anytime I bought that at Walmart. It's a lot darker the morsels then when I buy same thing in other places. It's a lot lighter. Seems like Walmart get the low grade Iams. Lol I will no longer buy Iams. Their product is terrible and scary seeing my cat get sick from it.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2019

I'm reporting this in the hopes that Iams pet food is investigated. In fact, I demand it. I think it's very important that we divulge what state we're from, and also where we bought our Iams Cat Food. We live in Iowa and we've always bought Iams Proactive Health cat food at WalMart. In August, 2019, our much loved large breed cat stopped eating his Iams Proactive Health cat food. He's been eating Iams since the day we brought him home as a kitten.

Beginning in early August, he began acting like he was quite ill. I would feed him his Iams, but he would just sit and stare at his food bowl. He was vomiting green bile daily. He was drinking more water than usual. He stopped grooming himself and his beautiful coat looked horrible. Because he wasn't grooming himself he developed severe matting in his fur. He was lethargic, and he wasn't the social cat we were used to. Instead of being the energetic, sociable cat he once was, he would hide underneath our bed all day, and all night. The light in his eyes was gone.

He weighed well over 15 pounds, before he stopped eating, but when the veterinarian saw him, he'd lost five pounds! What's interesting is that our cat would not eat his Iams, but he was very interested in eating the dog's food. The veterinarian thought that was rather odd, and so did we. That said, dog food is not good for felines.

The veterinarian kept him for several hours and said she'd call us when she was done doing blood work and examining him. She phoned us two hours later, and we went in to hear news that completely shattered our world. She said all four veterinarians in the pet clinic were in agreement that our cat has B-Cell Lymphoma. We asked if his blood tests were normal, and they were. But she said all of his symptoms were spot on for B-Cell Lymphoma. B-Cell Lymphoma is a blood cancer that develops in the lymph nodes. She added that his lymph nodes felt normal. But again, noted that it was odd that he was hungry for dog food.

She referred us to an emergency clinic for an ultrasound, a bone marrow biopsy, and chemotherapy.

This is a breakdown of the cost: Office visit : $125, Ultrasound : 426, Bone Marrow Biopsy : $2,231, Chemotherapy : $3,000 to $5,000. Because he wanted to eat dog food, on a hunch, I bought a different brand of food; Little Friskies Indoor Delight. He started eating like there was no tomorrow. I waited to report this because I wanted to be absolutely certain there was something wrong with the Iams food.

To date, 9/28/19, he has gained all of his weight back. He's grooming himself, he's not vomited once, and he's back to his normal energetic self. Please, PLEASE, PLEASE do some investigating into Iams Cat Food! Our little Papillon dog later developed similar symptoms while eating Iams Proactive Health food. I will post about this later.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2019

I am a TICA and CFA registered breeder and I recently switched jobs so my budget was a little tighter in between pay checks. I went out and purchased 5 bags of Iams dry cat food both the orange and turquoise bags from Walmart to tide my cats over for a few weeks while my pay is worked out. My cats did ok the first few days and then started vomiting projectile piles of cat food. I have several zones where my cats are housed and any new cats or cats set to leave are quarantined as well. Being that some of my cats do not ever interact with one another (studs for example) and the fact that there was vomit from each cat who ate the food I know there is something going on with the food itself. I will also be contacting Iams to try to be refunded for this as my cats cannot eat it obviously. One of my cats threw up so many times I have had to administer subcutaneous fluids for him. Please look into what is happening with your food!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

We've been giving our 2.5-year old cat IAMS Hairball Care Adult Cat Dry Food mixed with wet food for two years. 4 weeks ago, he started vomiting on a daily basis. First, he was repeating to eat and vomit and he started eating less and less every day while waiting for the appointment with our vet. It looked like vomiting and not eating made his sick worse. Only he was eating was his favorite treats at the end and one day he completely stopped eating and drinking water.

I knew if a cat does not eat even for 24 hours it could damage their organs so on the second day without eating, we could no longer wait the appointment and took him to an emergency. He has got the IV and got a x-ray, an ultrasound, and a blood test but the vet could not figure out why he was not eating and said he is a very healthy cat based on all test results and there is no reason that he is refusing to eat.

We took him home after two days in the emergency and he was given medications for anti-acid/vomiting and an appetite stimulant. Next day of the emergency, he started eating boiled chicken breast. It was less than 1 ounce at each meal but it was better nothing. We continued daily medications and syringe-feeding to force him to eat twice. He lost 4 lb in 4 weeks and he got so skinny so we were very glad to see him eating more and more without throwing up day by day and his grown appetite. After about a week of feeding chicken breast, we decided to try feeding him his regular wet food little by little mixing with chicken breast and he was eating them fine without getting sick until he was given dry food.

After eating just wet food for a few days, we mixed a few pieces of dry food with wet food in the morning and we increased dry food little by little on each meal. At the night of the second day we gave him dry food, he vomited all food he ate all over in our bed room. Then I decided to research about IAMS food and found these reviews. I should have done it earlier but after I saw all reviews there was no doubt the bag of dry food go to our garbage.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

I have been feeding my 2 cats Iams dry cat food for years. About 4 weeks ago my 10 yr old cat started vomiting once or twice a day. I got her to the vet who gave her a shot to make her stop vomiting and put her on an antibiotic in case she had a bacterial infection that was causing her to vomit. I leave the cat food out for my cats at all times. Within 2 hrs of the shot, cat vomited again. While on the antibiotic, she went two days without vomiting but started back up.

I have an appointment on Friday to get the blood panel work done since she is still vomiting. In between all of this, my other cat vomited once and then tonight they are BOTH vomiting. I Googled Iams and vomiting and came across all these reviews tonight. I ran to the store and have bought a bag of Rachael Ray Nutrish and have thrown out the Iams. Will be showing the reviews to my vet on Friday. Along with this, my 10 yr old cat’s fur over time has gotten rough, shedding like crazy, and has patches of skin that look like bad dandruff, plus just lays around A LOT, which matches what all of these other posts are saying. What is our recourse?

Original review: Aug. 20, 2019

We originally started getting our kittens Blue healthy kitten food and they loved it, but as they hit a year old we decided to try Science diet urinary tract dry food because we were told cats are susceptible to UTI'S and our local store didn't carry anything like that in Blue brand. We did notice occasional vomiting so thought it was the brand and switched to Iams. Almost immediately they were both vomiting undigested food. Projectile vomiting at times and then the one sickly kitty became lethargic, sleeping more than usual, crabbier than usual and then heavy salivating so today we decided to just switch them back to Blue and I recently added a probiotics immune booster to their canned food. I decided to see if their were any complaints on this food and found this site with reviews with similar problems and wise! I'm so glad that we decided to switch before it was too late. Never again will I buy this brand.

Original review: July 21, 2019

We have 12 cats so I decided to give them some variety in the dry food we give them. A few years ago I began buying Iams dry food in various types to have alongside the Purina blue food I give them. For a long time the cats ate either type in the same quantity. About 6 months ago I noticed they were not eating the Iams, and would not eat until I put the Purina out for them. Not even the feral cats on the porch would eat it. I came looking for a way to ask Iams if they had changed their recipe, and found these warnings. I threw away the 3 bags of Iams I had just bought and am looking for a new "other food" to give them.

Original review: July 1, 2019

I bought the food at Chewy.com but I am not putting a receipt in here. You will have to trust that I actually bought this food. In April, I decided to see if I could give my (older) cats something different and tasty to eat. So I bought Iams Cat Food. Iams Urinary tract formula. What I am reading in these reviews match my experience VERY closely. I have male/female siblings, the male was pretty unhealthy, so I thought it a coincidence that he became lethargic and sort of ill. He then died of a (not diagnosed) problem that from what I have read matched symptoms of congestive heart failure or feline asthma.

I continued to feed the female the food mixed 1:1 with a lower calorie urinary tract formula food they ate for years. After a few months she is showing the same symptoms as the male did. Lethargy, hair lose, dry/unhealthy hair, coughing fits, and additionally constant (unusual) thirst. This has scared me enough to throw out the remainder of the food and start again feeding the (Purina) urinary tract formula. If you are feeding this food and see these symptoms, STOP! The death I saw of the first cat was horrible and traumatic... gasping for breath and obviously terrified! I would avoid feeding this food and find something else. I very much wish I had read the reviews before I bought the stuff!

Original review: June 24, 2019

I purchased Iams Proactive Health, Healthy Senior today. I mixed a bit in with her current food and she ate it up pretty quick. I’m not even sure why but I decided to read some reviews and became terrified from everything I read. About an hour after she ate, she was just acting very strange almost like she was confused, I could tell she wasn’t herself and became sick and puked most of it up. I tossed the bag out. I just wanted to share my experience in hopes to save anyone else from putting their car in danger from this toxic food. Blows my mind that companies can sell this crap.

Iams Cat Food Company Information