3.8/5 (140 ratings)

Save 30% on your first autoship

Shop your favorite brands on Chewy.com

Shop now

Iams Cat Food Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Iams Cat Food?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Iams Cat Food?

Original review: Jan. 8, 2022

Our cats like Friskies wet food and Iams hard food. It seems to be a good variety. If you require more information just feed the foods listed to your cat/s and take notice of the results. That will be the best test. Regards and best results. JB

Original review: Sept. 20, 2021

I just have to share this, b/c I'm not the only one apparently. I fed my approx. 9-year-old cat this dry food. He had never eaten it before. He got diarrhea, threw-up twice lots of food, both of which he has never experienced before with any other new food. I thought he just didn't like the new food, but he had never reacted like this before. I took no mind, but then he gradually would not eat and then not drink any water at all! He lost weight dramatically and became weak, boney and lost his personality. It was alarming and horrific!

I finally got to the doctor about one month after he first ate this food, and he was anemic, dehydrated, and signs of kidney disease and other issues! He was dying. We tried to help him get better, but he eventually had to be put down after one week of being treated. I am devastated and strongly believe that the Iams Digestive and Skin dry food killed my cat. I'm alone and he was my emotional support cat and, after reading other peoples' experience, I'm 99% certain this food killed him. I'm not adopting again because I'm elderly, and am donating cat food to shelter; however, I am THROWING AWAY THIS POISON FOOD CALLED IAMS!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2021

We have always fed our previous pets (cats and dog) Iams. Several weeks ago we rescued a stray cat who had an upper respiratory infection, approximately 3-4 year old polydactyl male, and I immediately started feeding him Iams Dry Healthy Adult. He had been hanging around my husband's work for months, and he was feeding him some generic cat food. When he brought him home, we took him to the vet, and after antibiotics the upper respiratory infection is gone. However, about 3-4 days after he brought him home, he started drinking a TON of bottled water (approx. 16+ oz. a day), and had severe diarrhea that he didn't initially have, which lasted for weeks.

After numerous vet appointments, Pro-Pectalin, probiotics, prescription canned food, etc., our vet suggested switching his dry food (we always left a bowl down for him) to Purina One Sensitive Stomach, which is working wonders. Now I'm concerned after reading reviews on this site and having bloodwork drawn tomorrow to check his kidney and liver function. Not that I can prove it since he was a feral cat, but I'll be extremely disappointed if this is all a result of Iams, a brand we have always trusted.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2021

Do NOT use this brand, my perfectly healthy active 6 month old kitten has been eating blue buffalos kitten food since he was about 8 weeks old, recently purchased Iams Proactive Kitten food bag (purple bag) bc my store had a cash back deal and bag states to be super packed with nutritional ingredients so I thought win win, he was on it for 3 days and was a completely different cat. It was so sad to see and hurts that I “caused it”.

DAY 1: he ate all the dry food (iams) mixed with wet food as I usually do (blue Buffalo wet) and slept earlier than usually that night. DAY 2: I woke up and my cat was asleep in the corner under my bed (usually is asleep right next to me). I thought nothing of it and feed him as usual same iams dry food mixed with blue Buffalo wet, again he ate everything and later in the day I noticed he started becoming very lethargic (super sleepy/ no energy at all). It was so bad I had to get up and walk to him to touch him to make sure he was alive, I thought maybe he had a rough day or maybe tired himself out bad.

DAY 3: woke up to the same thing, feed him. He ate just a lil portion of what I usually give him, by the afternoon he just started throwing up repeatedly, meowing more than usual and you could see the pain in his eyes. I immediately jumped on my phone and did some further investigation on possible explanations, nothing other than the food change had happened recently so I googled reviews on the product and it’s sad to see there are way too many reviews on iams dry food products stating previously HEALTHY CATS are vomiting repeatedly, loss of appetite, extremely lethargic, to even death after owners switch to IAMS, I immediately empty his bowl, replaced it with straight blue Buffalo wet food (he wasn’t drinking much water by now and he had to be dehydrated from vomiting so much so he’ll get it from the wet food). Held him for comfort and called it a night.

DAY 4: I switched back to blue Buffalo dry food along with continuing to mix it with the blue Buffalo wet and he ate it all, he was still very sleepy and throw up once more in the afternoon but was better. DAY 5: he finally slept with me in bed and seemed to have more energy (not as normal) but definitely an improvement. He did not vomit and was back to drinking a normal amount of water. DAY 6: he is way better taking his normal naps and having his wild burst of energy moments throughout the day, it was the most scariest 3 days ever. I’m so glad I figured it out before some reviewers that unfortunately lost their cat before realizing it was the iams food.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2020

Our boys are 4 and 20 (!) years old and they're thriving on Iams. Because they're both neutered males who are indoor cats, UTI concerns are a frequent threat. We recently ran out of their specific iams UTI food and we substituted iams senior dry cat food. Result? Two happy, healthy boys plowing through their dinner bowls and purring afterward. A few days later and no side effects of any kind. No wonder our vet recommends iams!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2020

7 days ago we bought Iams healthy indoor formula cat food. My two cats are pushing 10 years old and we had been buying cheap 20 lb. bags of Friskies, but I wanted something more high quality. Both have rejected Iams. One cat is eating her Friskies just fine now. My other cat threw up the Iams and has barely eaten since. She rejects chicken baby food, tuna juice (her favorite), Fancy Feast wet and kitten formula. She is dying. I know it's probably a coincidence...but we are putting her down tomorrow. This was a healthy cat. This is a disturbing coincidence.

Original review: July 23, 2020

Ok, I guess I am speaking on behalf of my cat but the Iams brand is one that was recommended since the first day I rescued my cat. I do alternate with the Wellness brands as well because he loves variety in flavors but that brand is more expensive. Duma loves the Iams dry food in Salmon and prefers the Tuna in wet. He will eat any other flavor as long as I alternate them but loves seafood just like his human. Another cool feature is the portion control size feature which is unique and keeps their food fresh every time compared to when I have to use cans and split them up and keep them in the refrigerator. I think that out of all the brands that you listed on this survey by far Iams brand is the best and the one that I trust the most.

Original review: July 17, 2020

The IAMS Cat Food that I buy seem to have helped the cats who eat it -- whether it's for sensitive stomach, kidney problems, diabetic or other conditions. I really appreciate it not having food coloring and harmful chemicals.

Original review: July 16, 2020

Could you please make one of your cat foods so that it is soft in texture. I use Iams but my cats like softer cat food, especially since they are so little. Something where they don’t have to crunch so hard. They leave crumbs in the bowl every time and I wind up wasting half the bowl of food. If it were soft, they would eat all of the food.

Original review: July 15, 2020

It is a very healthy brand and cats seem to love it so it must be very tasty for them. The prices are reasonable esp w larger bags and cats seem to eat a bit less than the cheaper brands so you save $ in the long run. My vet recommends it too. Keeping your cat happy healthy and loved, what more can you do!

Original review: July 14, 2020

I have an old cat, 14 years, and she has stomach issues so I put her on Iams Sensitive stomach and she is doing much better on that. I would highly recommend it to anyone. I also have a 12 week old kitten and she is Iams kitten food. She loves it and is doing very well.

Original review: July 13, 2020

Our cat seems to like the dry as much as the wet. It doesn't give him the runs or hairballs. It doesn't seem to make his poo strong smelling either. It's a little pricey. Sometimes have a hard time finding the one he eats at stores without going to a pet store.

Original review: July 8, 2020

My two cats love Iam's cat food. We recently got a recommendation from an employee at the pet food store to switch to the Iam's food for elderly cats. This is exactly what my older cat needed as it has smaller morsels that are easier for him to chew since having many teeth removed. Both our cats really love the taste of the food and have had less vomiting from them since switching.

Original review: July 7, 2020

We have two rescue cats; Pepper, a black Persian and Lila, a little Tabby. We tried various dry foods (along with a compliment of wet food) but our cats were coughing hairballs weekly. We found Iams hairball prevention cat food; and the cats not only love the taste, it has eliminated hairballs. We plan to only use Iams because it is a quality food for our sweet kitties.

Original review: July 6, 2020

I have an older cat that has been on a diet of Iams dry cat food and another brand of wet food. We recently changed to the individual meals of Iams wet food with the dry food. She loves it. Her coat is nicer and she eats less wet food because it has more nutrients and she doesn’t need as much. Her coat is nicer and she is more satisfied with less food.

Original review: July 5, 2020

My cat's litter box is much more tolerable to clean since I switched them to this brand. No more diarrhea and less vomiting. Hairballs still happen. But that's a problem for another day. They really had no problem switching either. They used to eat mainly soft food but they really like this brand. So now it's about half & half.

Original review: July 4, 2020

This food keeps my kitties happy. I have them in age from 4-15. Healthy happy cats! I started it for my older kitty with bladder issues. He started to perk up and we ended up giving it to all of them. I recommend this food to anyone wanting to keep their cats healthy with a food that they like.

Original review: July 3, 2020

The animals enjoy the food. I have no problem with their eating habits. I have dogs too and they want to eat the cat food. Funny! I don't allow that. The food is a good price and it's healthy. Thank you for the wonderful healthy product. I will keep buying it.

Original review: July 2, 2020

Iams has been a well known brand for some years and the benefits it offers my friend's cat is great. I take care of her most of the time when he is away so Iams is the only brand he gives her. She is a very healthy and beautiful cat.

Original review: June 19, 2020

Two weeks ago I introduced Iams 7+ into the diet of our 2 cats, they were healthy 12 year old dsh. A few days ago my girl cat suddenly changed. She became subdued lethargic and very vocal. She was drinking much more than before and had started doing wees in the house. All out of character. I took her to the vets on Sunday. They said she was constipated and I brought her home. However by Wednesday I knew something wasn't right and took her back to the vets and they kept her in for tests. She had lost 1/2 kg since the Sunday, her bloods (creating marker) were sky high and she was chronically dehydrated. She did not recover and sadly this morning she had to be out to sleep.

Something made me think what if it's the food (even though I told the vet and he said it wouldn't be) and I came across this site where it seems others have had a similar experience. This is awful! I've only read the first couple of reviews but wanted to add mine immediately. This won't bring our beloved family pet back but might save others and should clearly be looked into!

Original review: June 12, 2020

My cat is/ was 16 and has been eating this for 8 years. May 5 I received my usual auto ship of food. Within 2 days she started vomiting, then diahrea and weight loss. I kept feeding it to her for 3 weeks until my roommate bought Iams for their cat. The same thing started to happen to their kitty. I immediately switched to Blue, but it was too late. My cat was down to 3 lbs when I took her in yesterday. Her liver had shut down. I laid her to rest yesterday. I don't know what was changed in the recipe, but it is making cats sick. I am heartbroken. She was perfectly healthy and running and playing with me until 3 weeks of eating her normal food. Someone, please investigate this.

Original review: March 9, 2020

I started buying Iams after not being able to find Purina in my usual supermarket. I'd never noticed it before so thought I'd try it. In the last 3 months I've bought maybe 2 of each. After buying the 2nd bag in a row for my cat and noticing he was eating less and less and drinking more water I was becoming worried for him. He was losing so much weight and he's only 5 so should be healthy. Woke up one day last week and he had vomited all over the house. The most amount of vomit I've seen any of my cats do. That was the day I found these reviews. His fur was dull, his personality had changed to be more aggressive, drinking HEAPS more water and not eating. He has ALWAYS been obsessed with food because he was a stray so when he's not eating there's something wrong.

Now I've got him Purina bikkies and Urinary pouches. He's eating and active again. His coat is shiny and he's back to trying to get everyone to feed him 10 times a day. He's eating like he's been starving for months. Avoid Iams like the plague. Not good at all. There is also a FB group calling for their boycotting and in the UK too they are one of the worst rated foods. Should be illegal.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

I fed my cat Iams and was always very pleased with the result as my cat lived to the age of twenty three. We have recently got a rescue cat aged eight she has been eating wet food pouches and a different brand biscuit to graze on. Two weeks ago I thought I would try Iams as I had had such a positive result with my other cat. However since being on Iams she has had very loose motions. Either the company that make Iams have changed the recipe in the six years since my other cat passed or it just doesn’t suit my cat.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

I live in Canada so I have no hope of getting any help because cat and dog food is not regulated here. I have had the same problem with my cat vomiting the food up as soon as she eats it. She was on the regular Iams (green bag) and I noticed that she was vomiting then but I thought it was because she need to have senior food. This is reminiscent of quite a few years ago when pretty much all brands of cat and dog food had a product from China that when the food was tested it boosted the amount of protein in the food. This cause countless animals to die and caused kidney problems in others. We eventually had to get our cat put down because of it. Seems like just another case of greedy companies using chemicals or whatever in their food to boost their profits. By the way it was 2007 and it was melamine that was added to dog and cat food.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

My indoor cats and my feral have been eating Iams 10 years now. Recently I purchased two large bags and my indoor cats are very sick vomiting violently severe diarrhea. They became severely dehydrated. I really did not know what was happening. I went outside to check on the feral cats and I was stunned that not any of them would eat the food so that is when I realized it is the food. Seriously my cat Lambie almost died. He is on antibiotics and lots of fluid. All my poor sweet animals have lost weight. I am truly worried because they have matted coats from not grooming themselves. I called the very reputable company I use to purchase the food and I was told to stop using it immediately so I did. So please everyone be very cautious giving your furry love bug this food.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

My cat was on this brand for many years. She was a rescue cat, always small and always kind of rough coated with a kind of dandruff problem. I was told years ago Iams was a good brand so I stuck with it and she ate it well. Last summer quite suddenly she started vomiting. Once a every few days at first then it quickly progressed to daily then multiple times a day. I grew quite alarmed at that point and knew this wasn't just from hairballs.

Before I booked a vet appointment I decided to go online and consult Mr. Google and I found all these reviews. Hum, could this be? So I threw out the Iams, went to the pet store and bought the best limited ingredient food they had. I figured for it to be a real test it needed to be as limited ingredient as possible. Lo and behold she NEVER vomited again, not once. Yes it's more expensive but honestly not by a huge amount because she eats less of it and that little rough cat has turned round and full and her coat is silky and lush. What a difference. She also has turned into a kitten again..playing and running around like crazy. AVOID IAMS!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

I was away for a few days and I had my kids buy some cat food for our cats. I told them to buy IAMS but they went to Walmart to get it. My cats will not eat it and the pellets are different shapes and colors than the last bag I bought at a grocery store. With the other reviews I have read I am now very concerned for my cats. I will be contacting the company tomorrow and expecting to get my money back.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

We have tried the Orange bag IAMS™ PROACTIVE HEALTH™ INDOOR WEIGHT & HAIRBALL CARE. PROACTIVE HEALTH™ food for our four cats and they puke every time we have tried them on it. We have only used it when their brand is out of stock, but every time it has made them all get very sick. It seems like this is a common problem.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

September 9th of 2019 I was given an 8 week old kitten from a friend. She was in good health (even though she was a little small due to being the runt) and when I took her to the vet at 9 weeks they said she was perfectly healthy. My vet recommended that I switch to another food from what I was feeding her and one of the options was Iams Proactive Kitten Food. I switched her foods how I was supposed to, gradually, and she seemed okay for a few days. Until I noticed that she was throwing up every time she ate and wouldn’t touch her food anymore.

I took her to the vet as soon as I could and she was about 11 weeks, they told me she was probably throwing up because I switched her food too fast and that it should subside and she seemed in good health. I believed them but within a week and a half later she passed away. I later found this thread and I wholeheartedly believe it was the Iams kitten food that caused her untimely death. Rest In Paradise my sweet Aurora.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2019

My family has two cats, both 12 years old. We have been feeding them Iams since they were kittens and they have never had a problem. As they have grown up, we have switched their Iams brand of food to match their age/stage of life, again, experiencing no problems. Unfortunately, that is no longer the case. Our cats have, both, been experiencing diarrhea and have been vomiting not long after eating the Iams Mature Senior food. Our smallest cat got REALLY sick a few months back, necessitating a trip to the vet. All tests run on both cats revealed negative results. We're beginning to believe it's the food, because they are both experiencing frequent diarrhea and vomiting, not long after eating. We've talked about changing their food to another brand, especially after reading the comments everyone else has posted on this forum. I hope Iams gets the message because it absolutely heartbreaking to see our precious pets get so sick after eating.

Iams Cat Food Company Information