2. Pets
  3. Cat Food

Smalls

Smalls cat food provides your cat with high-quality food through a subscription plan. Cats receive fresh, human-grade food packed with dry ice to keep it cool. Wet food is available in three recipes: chicken, turkey and beef with consistency choices of minced or pate. If your cat isn’t fond of wet food, Smalls also offers freeze-dried raw protein as a kibble alternative. It’s available in chicken, turkey and duck and includes the meat, bones and organs. Smalls also offers healthy treats and food-toppers to entice your cat.

BOTTOM LINE

Smalls is a meal delivery service for your cat. A sampler helps you determine what products your pet likes. The plans allow for regular shipments of your cat’s favorite food at a pace and cost that fits your budget.

PROS
  • Recipes backed by science
  • Several plans to choose from
  • Human-grade ingredients
  • Plans are customizable
CONS
  • More expensive than kibble
  • Food isn’t pre-portioned
Banner image

Save 30% on your first autoship

Shop your favorite brands on Chewy.com

Shop now

Smalls cat food plans

Your Smalls cat food plan starts with a sampler that lets you find products your cat prefers before committing to a larger purchase. To get your sampler, simply answer some questions about your cat and your budget. From there, you can choose a plan that suits your needs. Smalls then sends you a two-weeks supply of the food chosen at a reduced cost.

The Monday after you receive the sampler, a "cat concierge" contacts you to check in. You can tell them what your cat likes or dislikes and whether there are any products they haven't tried.

In the second week, you schedule your first full order based on your chosen plan and feedback from the check-in. You can make changes until the Thursday before the box ships. Shipments continue every two, four or eight weeks, depending on your needs. Available plans include:

• Complete Balance: 50% essential kibble, 50% fresh food
    • Healthiest + Convenience: 75% fresh food, 25% raw kibble
    • Essential Kibble: 100% essential kibble
    • Essential + Raw Kibble: 75% essential kibble, 25% raw kibble
    • Balanced Convenience: 50% fresh food, 50% raw kibble

According to the website, the plans are customizable to fit your cat’s needs and your budget. You can change up flavors, textures or quantities as needed. Each shipment is packed in dry ice to keep it fresh.

Smalls cat food price

Smalls' website lists several prices for each plan. Prices are based on whether you’re ordering for one or multiple cats. Overall, Smalls cat food cost varies greatly depending on the meal plan you choose.

The cheapest plan is Essential Kibble — an order for one cat every four weeks costs $28. The most expensive plan is Balanced Convenience, which costs $120 under the same for one cat every four weeks. Five of the nine plans cost less than $100, while the remaining four cost more than $100.

Smalls cat food FAQ

Does Smalls cat food have a minimum order amount?
    Smalls requires a minimum order of six packets of wet food. This is to ensure the dry ice is effective and to reduce packaging.
    Can Smalls help my cat lose weight?
    Smalls can help improve your cat’s diet, which in turn helps them lose weight. Smalls' food focuses on several important factors: high moisture content, high-quality animal protein and low carbohydrates.
    Is Smalls cat food grain-free?
    Yes, Smalls cat food is grain free. It’s human-grade and contains no fillers.
    How long does it take Smalls cat food to ship?
    Since wet food shipments contain dry ice, packages are shipped quickly. Expect to receive your order within two or three days.

Is Smalls cat food good?

Smalls cat food provides a high-quality option for your cat. This can have a profound effect on their overall health and wellness. Since cats are biologically wired to be carnivores, they don’t get hydration and nutrients the same way humans do. Smalls understands that and goes a step above by manufacturing its food using human-grade ingredients. You get top quality protein, moisture for hydration and essential nutrients. If Smalls cat food fits your budget, it's a good option for your cat.

Smalls Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Smalls?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Smalls?

Original review: May 4, 2021

tl;dr: Warning!! Do not order from this company, they have a very deceptive business strategy!!! You will automatically get enrolled in a VERY expensive subscription service and have to fight to cancel your account!! I want the absolute best for my cats and after researching, Smalls fresh cat food seemed to be very species-appropriate. I also love the convenience of subscription services, so I was looking forward to trying this and ordered the sample box. My cats wouldn't touch the stuff, and I tried everything to get them to try it (warmed it up, topped it with gravy that I know they love, etc). I didn't hear anything from Smalls for about a month and as I had only purchased the sample box, I unsubscribed from their promotional emails and didn't think anything of it from then on.

Three weeks later and I see a whopping $265 charge on my credit card from Smalls. I searched my email for confirmation and lo and behold I find in my spam folder an email titled "Order Confirmation." So they automatically enrolled me in their very pricey subscription service. I don't remember agreeing to auto-enrollement when I ordered the sample box -- if I did, it was in the VERY fine print.

I immediately reached out to their customer service (only by email as they don't have phone customer service, always sketchy) and was told that there are no cancellations or refunds once your order is processed. Other subscription cat foods similar to this company almost always offer full refunds if you're not happy with the product. So I'm down $265 and I will be stuck with a giant box of frozen cat food that my cats won't eat - big bummer. But even worse is that when I FINALLY was able to figure out how to log into their terrible site (extremely confusing), there is NO way to actually cancel your account or remove your credit card! What the heck! I'm going to have to call my credit card company and tell them to stop authorizing payments to this company. Smalls has a very deceptive business model. I encourage you not to get lured in by their fancy packaging and nice ingredients, this company is honestly not worth the hassle to work with.

Original review: May 1, 2021

I am trying to do right by my kittens and feed them a food best for their health. I ordered the sample Smalls. After ordering the sample it thanked me for the auto-subscription. I hate companies that do this! I would not have placed the ordered for a sample if I had known I was signing up for an auto-subscription. After receiving the sample food, and feeding to my kittens for five days, twice per day, of small portions with their regular food, I found my kittens would not eat the food - ate around it, even my boy cat who eats everything. They started scavenging for food on the counters, which they don't normally do at 10 months old.

I tried to find a welcome email with the agreement and how to cancel, or an email to a customer portal to cancel the auto-subscription, but there were NONE - just one email confirmation of the sample order with no other content. I tried calling, but received a message that they don't answer the phone. So I sent an email telling them I could find an order confirmation for auto-subscription or a way to cancel the auto-subscription, since my cats don't eat the food and it's very expensive. The Cat Concierge responded to my email and stated: 1) "You do not currently have an account that can be accessed via our website.", 2) "As soon as you know what your cats enjoy feel free to let us know their favorites here! Then your Cat Concierge can help you build your first full order." - didn't happen, and 3) "We'll never ship an order without checking in with you first, and you can always reschedule or edit your orders through a Cat Concierge".

I truly believed I'd taken care of this and put it out of my mind. This is why I was surprised today when I received an email thanking me for my order with the amount. So I searched my inbox and found an email from THREE DAYS ago with an invitation to a customer portal from Smalls. In an attempt to cancel this order, I sign-up for the portal, and there are no pending deliveries, no orders in the history, no record whatsoever. I click all throughout the site. I cannot remove my payment method. There is nothing to cancel anywhere on my profile. Having reviewed the response for my inquiry to cancel the auto-subscription, I did a second search in my email on "Cat Concierge" (not Smalls) and there it was. THREE days ago, I received an email from this email to contact them by the next day (1 day) or my order would be submitted and shipped. Then it happened. I hate business practices like this that set the customer up to fail, and take their money.

Get buying tips about Cat Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2021

Ordered a trial for my mother's cat in January. Her cat hated it, and the food went to neighbors with less picky cats, who still wouldn't eat it. Ultimately it went to their dogs, who would eat it. Given this information, I attempted to cancel the subscription, found no way to do so, and so removed my payment method instead, as the only way to prevent more unwanted cat food, or so I thought.

I was frustrated to learn that I was charged nearly $250 late on a Friday to assure I couldn't challenge payment with my banking institution closed for the weekend. I attempted to contact their customer service line, only to find that they don't actually take phone calls at any time for any reason. I then emailed them and received an automated reply that due to high volume they won't be getting back to me for quite a while. Further, they neither accept returns nor issue refunds for unwanted deliveries. Smalls.com, based on my direct experiences with the company, provides a mediocre product and has no customer service whatsoever. They would do well to redirect some of their excessive marketing budget to customer service. I strongly advise you to avoid doing business with them.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2021

After my cat nearly died of a blocked bladder a year and a half ago, it's been very hard to find a food that he won't refuse but is also healthy for him and moist enough to discourage crystals from building up in his bladder/urinary tract. Smalls' food itself is great and my cat loves it, never threw any of it up, and seemed to be healthy with it. However, the company is semi new, and it has the WORST customer service ever, and horrible logistics.

They gave me completely wrong food, or forgot to ship me everything they had charged me for on multiple occasions. And they only ship on Tuesdays. ONLY Tuesdays. The food doesn't arrive until Fridays or Saturdays, so the window for keeping the food fresh is super slim. And then if the food gets caught over the weekend (as USPS, UPS have been backed up due to COVID) then you're screwed. They make it difficult to get a new shipment sent, and were very combative as if I had done something wrong or were trying to get free food or something. This is the most expensive cat food I have ever purchased and it's completely unacceptable for a cat brand trying to sell high-end expensive food to treat their customers like that (tbh it's unacceptable in general to treat customers like that).

Furthermore, the fact that they have very rigid yet inconsistent & unpredictable shipping practices means my cat has gone through a very unstable two months of trying this food, being without food for periods and having to pay the consequences of an inconsistent diet that could cause him damage and issues, such as vomiting a new food that he is not compatible with that I had to purchase as a stop-gap when smalls wasn't able to ship replacements for spoiled food. I can NOT believe they suggested I try to use food that had been stuck in the mail for 5 days and been exposed to temperatures that would promote bacterial growth that could harm or even kill my cat. It feels illegal to do so.

On top of everything else, the food comes in sausage-like packaging that is difficult to store and is super inconvenient to ration for your cat compared to every other cat food option. They use sustainability excuses but it's definitely a cost-saving solution for them. Oh and the sampler isn't a sampler. It's just a box of their different recipes each packaged for 3-ish days of food. So you have to try them one at a time, or have them go bad in the fridge when you're 1/3 the way through the packages (if you want to have them all side by side by your cat's old food to let them smell, explore, etc every day, that's gonna be super super difficult).

They seem like a new company that is really failing with logistics and customer service. They don't know how to treat customers well or track customers with a CRM and know the history of the relationship. If the food you ship doesn't arrive frozen, SEND A NEW BOX. That's such a simple solution, but they refuse to do it. They even emailed in November to say they weren't shipping food from 11-28th of December. Cool. I ordered food to ship out before then. I'm still trying to gauge how much my cat needs to last two weeks or a month. That shipment went out a day late, and ended up stuck until the following Monday. They didn't ship a new one out, and I was stuck without cat food for now going on three weeks. I can't have my cat subject to such inconsistency and poor, HORRIBLE service. He deserves better, and so do we all.

Smalls Company Information