2.8/5 (24 ratings)

Save 30% on your first autoship

Shop your favorite brands on Chewy.com

Shop now

About Smalls

Smalls cat food provides your cat with high-quality food through a subscription plan. Cats receive fresh, human-grade food packed with dry ice to keep it cool. Wet food is available in three recipes: chicken, turkey and beef with consistency choices of minced or pate. If your cat isn’t fond of wet food, Smalls also offers freeze-dried raw protein as a kibble alternative. It’s available in chicken, turkey and duck and includes the meat, bones and organs. Smalls also offers healthy treats and food-toppers to entice your cat.

Pros

• Recipes backed by science
  • Several plans to choose from
  • Human-grade ingredients
  • Plans are customizable

Cons

• More expensive than kibble
  • Food isn’t pre-portioned

Bottom Line

Smalls is a meal delivery service for your cat. A sampler helps you determine what products your pet likes. The plans allow for regular shipments of your cat’s favorite food at a pace and cost that fits your budget.

Banner image

Save 30% on your first autoship

Shop your favorite brands on Chewy.com

Shop now

Smalls cat food plans

Your Smalls cat food plan starts with a sampler that lets you find products your cat prefers before committing to a larger purchase. To get your sampler, simply answer some questions about your cat and your budget. From there, you can choose a plan that suits your needs. Smalls then sends you a two-weeks supply of the food chosen at a reduced cost.

The Monday after you receive the sampler, a "cat concierge" contacts you to check in. You can tell them what your cat likes or dislikes and whether there are any products they haven't tried.

In the second week, you schedule your first full order based on your chosen plan and feedback from the check-in. You can make changes until the Thursday before the box ships. Shipments continue every two, four or eight weeks, depending on your needs. Available plans include:

• Complete Balance: 50% essential kibble, 50% fresh food
  • Healthiest + Convenience: 75% fresh food, 25% raw kibble
  • Essential Kibble: 100% essential kibble
  • Essential + Raw Kibble: 75% essential kibble, 25% raw kibble
  • Balanced Convenience: 50% fresh food, 50% raw kibble

According to the website, the plans are customizable to fit your cat’s needs and your budget. You can change up flavors, textures or quantities as needed. Each shipment is packed in dry ice to keep it fresh.

Smalls cat food price

Smalls' website lists several prices for each plan. Prices are based on whether you’re ordering for one or multiple cats. Overall, Smalls cat food cost varies greatly depending on the meal plan you choose.

The cheapest plan is Essential Kibble — an order for one cat every four weeks costs $28. The most expensive plan is Balanced Convenience, which costs $120 under the same for one cat every four weeks. Five of the nine plans cost less than $100, while the remaining four cost more than $100.

Smalls cat food FAQ

Does Smalls cat food have a minimum order amount?
Smalls requires a minimum order of six packets of wet food. This is to ensure the dry ice is effective and to reduce packaging.
Can Smalls help my cat lose weight?
Smalls can help improve your cat’s diet, which in turn helps them lose weight. Smalls' food focuses on several important factors: high moisture content, high-quality animal protein and low carbohydrates.
Is Smalls cat food grain-free?
Yes, Smalls cat food is grain free. It’s human-grade and contains no fillers.
How long does it take Smalls cat food to ship?
Since wet food shipments contain dry ice, packages are shipped quickly. Expect to receive your order within two or three days.

Is Smalls cat food good?

Smalls cat food provides a high-quality option for your cat. This can have a profound effect on their overall health and wellness. Since cats are biologically wired to be carnivores, they don’t get hydration and nutrients the same way humans do. Smalls understands that and goes a step above by manufacturing its food using human-grade ingredients. You get top quality protein, moisture for hydration and essential nutrients. If Smalls cat food fits your budget, it's a good option for your cat.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Smalls?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Smalls?

Original review: March 20, 2022

My cats love the food, and I'm happy to give them food that I am confident in being really healthy for them! It is super fresh with no added preservatives, so they have to send it frozen, which took some getting used to. Also it is a subscription so you do have to manage it yourself, but it was easy enough to do, and the customer service team helped me find a plan that worked for me. After a while I started to look forward to messing with the dry ice and corn-based dissolvable insulation they send with every order of wet food! Their customer service team is also generally very fast to respond, though they don't have a way to call them? While unfortunate, this is not a deal breaker since the team working on emails/texts is so responsive. I plan on ordering more soon!

Original review: March 15, 2022

Look I'm not going to go out and say it's the cheapest option out there but I would say that it's comparable to wet food prices but at least I can track the quality of food. Outside of that my cat loves it. It took a while and trying a few of the textures and protein choices but all in all I think she is much happier. I want to add that their CS team has been pretty responsive to any questions or changes in my subscription.

Get buying tips about Cat Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 4, 2022

I have multiple barn cats that I care for that have become my babies. I have been feeding them kibble for the first few years of their lives but noticed they were all overweight, itchy, hair falling off when I pet them and I noticed they were drinking a lot of water. I grew up with cats eating kibble so I didn't think about the quality of the food right away but started doing research on how to properly care for outdoor cats because I can't afford to take them to the vet. I learned that the higher their nutrition, not only will they be healthier (proper weight, smooth coat, healthy skin and eyes) but the nutrition can actually protect them against fleas and ticks too. I live on a farm so this is great news. I started feeding them Smalls because it's so nutritious, they have EXCELLENT customer service and it's beyond convenient to just set my desired frequency and get automatic deliveries, never have to think about it again.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2022

o begin, I've had my baby girl for 13 years since she was a runt on the streets. This food has given her more energy, softer fur, and has helped loads in the litter box department. If I ever have questions about editing my orders, or making changes to my subscription the concierges have always been incredibly helpful and helped make my experience meaningful. They LOVE to talk about cats just as much as I do, and that's saying something. I wish more companies showed the same dedication to their customers as Smalls. I'll be a lifelong customer!

Original review: Feb. 24, 2022

Before Smalls, I'll admit, I was feeding my cat whatever cans or kibble I remembered to pick up while grocery shopping. I noticed that switching brands/recipes around was upsetting her stomach so I went on the hunt for something that would meet her nutritional needs and be convenient for my ever-changing schedule. Enter Smalls. Talk about game-changer. It took us a week or so to fully transition, but since we did, there's no going back. My cat loves the recipes (chicken is her favorite) and I love that it's all delivered to my doorstep. Our vet is consistently impressed with my cat's weight, coat, and overall health too, so wins all around.

Original review: May 14, 2022

Have a recent addition to the household and decided to see if the subscription based was for us. It wasn't. The kitten was a challenge as the breeder started the litter off with a raw diet, so transitioning her into a healthy human grade food was the major hurdle. Once we got her acclimated to high quality pet food [initially Caru]. Did the trial where they ship out the turkey, chicken, beef chubs...supposed to arrive frozen. It wasn't. Dry ice was gone when it arrived. Added in the food as recommended with zero luck. Got to the point where we followed her around with the food dish.

Barely used any and switch back to the Caru with decent results. Get an email basically letting me know the next box was already getting ready to ship. Lucky I jumped on this and tried to downsize the automatic refill which was 161.00?? Tried to move the date out, and it jumped to 200.00? Not sure what planet they are on, but transitioning a cat is a slow process, so had to scramble to just cancel it altogether.

Figured the account was closed and started getting phone calls from them asking how the food program was going [so, obviously whatever communication a business should have, they didn't]. I told them I canceled the account 4 days prior. Got 2 emails and was still able to log in, which was strange. Texted them to confirm cancelation and remove credit card, and to again send a confirmation.

So yeah, be careful and pay attention. I can buy a case of Caru for 32-35 bucks...which now lasts her 3 weeks. It is human grade boxed food with good variety and the bonus is, the cat was loving it once I stopped the transitioning to the Smalls. True experience, so again, when the trial is over and they try auto sending a large amount of food, double check the out and the pricing. Seems like a company that everyone works remotely doesn't communicate at all, and the system takes its time even after canceling, removing you.

Original review: March 28, 2022

We have a few cats at home. Plus, there are a few strays out and about. I feed one cat and my mother feeds different food to 2-3 other cats. About a year ago I was trying to get my cat into best wet food I could find. Did a lot of research and somehow smalls came up top. I went ahead and decided to try it. It took some work but cat seemed to like it okay. He wasn't crazy about it but would eat it if nothing else was available. I figured it would be okay and went ahead with the subscription. Two order later and my fridge was full of frozen cat food because cat would only eat small bits whenever he felt like it. I had to chase him around the house with the cat food just to get him to take a few bites. Then, I'd put down any other kind of food and he'd devour it. Lot of times I'd put down his "premium" wet food and he'd walk away to go patiently wait to see if any of the cats my mother was feeding left any behind.

Eventually things got to the point that he wouldn't even look at the food. As I write this I have a fridge full of frozen cat food that nobody wants to eat. I defrost it, put it down for anyone to eat it and it just goes untouched. Sometimes I put it outside and not even the strays will eat it. The only animal that will eat it sometimes, it's a small dog that my mother owns. Dogs will eat anything, including cat dropping so...

There is also the fact that some of the food I've received lately is different in texture. The soft bird meat from previous batches was true but the new batch has a hard texture. It's hard and rubbery even after being thawed. I am a vegetarian, therefore I am not very experienced when it comes to meats but this meat seems off. Texture is rubbery, leaves my hands oily with a strange smell. Other can food I can touch and just rinse away with water but Smalls I need to wash my hands with soap. I don't recall this being an issue with the first batch, but I don't know could just be my lack of experience dealing with meats.

Now, onto the customer service. There is absolutely no way of speaking with a human. All you get are text messages with a bot then depending on the issue you might get a "human" to text with. I kept putting off my next order due to still having so much food leftover from previous orders. They'll usually email you letting you know when your next box is due. I went ahead and delayed the delivery by another 2 months. However, a few days later I noticed a $300 charge from smalls on my cc.

I texted customer support and they basically told me my changes wouldn't reflect until next time because the order had already been processed and there was nothing they could do about it. This was on a Friday and the order was scheduled to ship out next Monday. I argued with them for a while but they were firm, no refunds even though order hadn't shipped and I still had a fridge full of food that my cat/s wouldn't touch. Time went by and the order didn't ship until next Thursday. Order was supposed to be shipped that Monday/Tuesday in order to arrive at my door Thursday/Friday. Order didn't arrive until Wednesday the following week.

Long story short: Cats, including strays won't touch the food. Something is off with the texture/composition of the food. Customer service is limited to a bot or text chat with a "human". "Human" because only a machine would ignore the fact that I have a fridge full of food that cat(s) won't eat and still proceed with the order because transaction has been com.

Resolution response: March 9, 2022

The company got back to me and offered 10% off my next box for the inconveniences. Also, after going over my emails I realized that a tracking number was provided.

Original review: March 8, 2022

I love Smalls' cat food for my cats, but my cats didn't. However, I was motivated and tried a multitude of methods to get them to eat it. It was only after the entire trial pack and first box that they finally started eating smalls with just a food topper. The problems started when I received an email that my next box had shipped. This e-mail typically includes the tracking information, but this time it didn't. So I reached out to customer service to ask for my tracking information, but they did not provide me with this and instead reassured me that my package would definitely arrive by that Saturday. Saturday goes by, and no sign of a package.

So I reached out to customer service again and they said "for some reason the package isn't moving but I can issue a replacement for next week." At this time, I had already run out of smalls cat food, and spent over a month transitioning my cats... Switching them back to their preferred food for a week means I'd likely have to go through that process all over again. I asked for a refund or credit towards a future box for the inconvenience, but smalls wouldn't offer me a thing let alone admit they had never shipped out the box. They blamed the carrier, but were unable to provide tracking information from the carrier. I'm worried this will be an ongoing issue with a company that has 0 incentive to offer quality service, so I will be canceling.

Original review: March 2, 2022

Smalls absolutely changed the way my cat eats. Before, he ate vet recommended food. I learned through a lot of research that this food is absolutely not healthy for him and that he requires a fresh diet. After he developed a chicken allergy and suffered from FLUTD, I made the full switch to Smalls and he's not had any issues since!

Original review: Feb. 24, 2022

Our cat Oscar has been enjoying Smalls for several months now, and it's been great! The best part is the quality of the food, which uses high-quality ingredients that's good and healthy for them. Smalls' customer service has been excellent and shipments have been regularly coming on time without any issues. Overall, Oscar's been loving Smalls and I'm not sure he would want us to switch over to anything else!

Smalls Company Information