2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

Shop on Chewy
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.92/5

Blue Buffalo is a manufacturer of dog and cat foods. Ingredients include high-quality meats, fruits, vegetables, cheese, eggs, fish oil, barley, rye, fava beans, vitamins and mineral supplements. Products are available on the company’s website and through other retailers.

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Shop on Chewy

Find your favorite pet products today

Shop now on Chewy

Visit Website

Find your favorite pet products today

Shop now on Chewy

Visit Website

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Buffalo Pet Foods?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Buffalo Pet Foods?

Original review: June 24, 2017

I have a wonderful 10 year old Golden Retriever with skin allergies and when I went to the pet store last week to buy her food, a Blue Buffalo rep was there and convinced me to switch to their Basics, limited ingredient turkey and potato food, stating it would be a much better food. Well! It was THE WORST!!! My dog's skin broke out severely and became infected after eating it for just one week. Costing me hundreds of dollars at the vet!!! The last 2 days my dog even didn't want to eat it, and she loves all food! My vet said Blue Buffalo dog food is HORRIBLE!!! And the rep said it was it was high quality! DO NOT BUY THIS BRAND IF YOU LOVE YOUR PET!!!

Original review: June 21, 2017

I had recently decided to"upgrade" my dog food to Blue Buffalo believing that it was the gold standard of dog foods. I have 3 small dogs and I'm halfway through my 2nd 30lb bag and I had to throw away the last half because it was making my dogs so sick. A 30lb bag lasts me about a month with all 3 dogs eating. There are 3 reasons that lead me to believe that this sickness was caused by this dog food. About 2 months ago, one of my dogs started getting sick and throwing up, at first I didn't think much of it thinking he just ate something that didn't agree with him. Two of my 3 dogs have huge appetites and even after a month of being on Blue Buffalo, none of my dogs seemed to have the same appetite. One dog wouldn't even go near the food and often times I could come back after feeding them breakfast or dinner only to find all three bowls still had food in them - which is not normal for my dogs!

And lastly number 3. Yesterday, I accidentally fed them dinner twice and I didn't realize it till after I fed them. Thinking that it would be fine and they all just got lucky I didn't think anything about it. When I woke up this morning, I woke up to literally throw up and diarrhea ALL over my house. I am positive it was more than one dog that got sick because of the amount of throwup and poop, but I don't know if it was all of them for sure. Anyway, I started doing research and I'm so happy I found this page. I am going to report to Amazon and to Blue Buffalo because I am unsure if it is just the product in general or if I got a bad batch that should recalled. I hate to write a bad review but I'm worried about the quality of this food.

Original review: June 19, 2017

I have two dogs both are severely ill from the food. Symptoms lethargic, bloody diarrhea, vomiting. I called the pet store they had no idea of any recalls. Blue Buffalo needs to communicate recalls to the stores so they pull the product (Blue Buffalo Wilderness and Blue Basic soft food). Stores. This is issue has caused high veterinary bills to stabilize my two dogs' health. One of my dogs is still passing blood every couple hours. Clearly there is an issue with the product.

Original review: June 9, 2017

I have a 9 year old Aussie/Retriever that suffered from allergies. His ears stunk and were very hard to keep from getting infected. He chewed on his feet incessantly, and had small sores all over his body that drove him crazy. I switched to BB (Life Protection Formula Adult Chicken & Brown Rice) about 3 weeks ago and he is already 95% better. I don't doubt that BB has caused problems with some dogs, but read reviews about any brand and you will see the same theme; my dog was perfectly healthy despite being 100 years old, and all he did was smell (insert any brand) and he died immediately.

One person said, "I fed my dog BB for 2 weeks and he died after a week". Come on people! If you're going to write a review, leave out the hyperbole and state facts. As a responsible pet owner, I will closely monitor my dog's health and act accordingly. I got so freaked out by some of the reviews of several brands of dog food that I got analysis paralysis. There are way too many sponsors and ads on any site you find to trust them. YMMV.

Original review: June 9, 2017

I came across Blue Buffalo chicken and rice formula (blue bag) for my senior Maltese around November '16 upon recommendations. My maltese was a perfectly healthy dog who had no issues transitioning to any food... My beloved 13lb boy started throwing up with diarrhea, refusing to eat anything drinking tons of water... His stomach symptoms worsened despite throwing away the food immediately and taking him to the vet. High liver levels, rapid weight loss, vomiting, trembling, unexplained seizures that would come at night (died out after the food was completely out of the system). He was so emaciated we could not do any invasive testing and had to rely on medication based on an educated guess of what was going on.

The doctors could not make out what made him so sick, since ultrasound, x-ray, all came normal and it only could be guessed as a severe inflammation of small intestines. I had to put him down 3 weeks ago on May 19th. He was a perfectly healthy dog with NO HEALTH ISSUES. Not even teeth, skin, nothing. I was told by the blue buffalo rep that they make their foods with all natural, high quality ingredients and I came across with all these posts with dedicated owners losing their beloved pets due to this piece of crap. I hope this company shuts down. Terrible!

Original review: June 5, 2017

I have 3 dogs 2 bullies and a pit/lab mix. My lab/pit is 8 1/2 years old and has the beginning stages of arthritis... I started giving her something for it as well as multivitamins, brushing bones for her teeth and fresh breath tablets. While on my monthly trip to Petco on Friday June 2nd for these things I asked a woman a question about salmon versus omega-3 pills. She told me if I fed them Blue Buffalo I wouldn't need to buy all those things because it has it in there already so it would save me money. She was very persistent on selling the food. I said I would try a small bag (at $33) first to see if they liked it. She came with the 22 lb bag (at $58). I said "maybe I should wait" but she insisted I try it now stating "try it for a couple days, if your dogs absolutely do not like it you can bring it back".

Well that night my husband and I decided to try it. We did as she explained 75% old food to 25% Blue Buffalo. My dogs' bedtime is around 9/9:30. I let them out in the backyard and immediately noticed all 3 had a loose stool. The next morning again they had a loose stool. Cleo which is the 8 1/2 year old started vomiting her food up from the night before. She would not eat her breakfast which is not unusual for her as she come down to eat after the other 2 are finished... She thinks she's a diva. That afternoon I notice she still hadn't eaten. This is just 1 day after introducing them to this. Since then she hasn't eaten anything. The only way she gets water is because I shot it in her mouth with a syringe. She's been urinating all over the house (rare for her) just sleeps, barely able to walk and has a green discharge coming from her eyes.

Yesterday my husband suggested we research Blue Buffalo and I came across this website. I was at work when I read some of these stories and symptoms the other dogs were having which sound a lot like my Cleo. I cried my eyes out thinking "Oh God is my dog dying". Got home Sunday morning to no change in her. We did everything... The bland diet, eye wash, giving her water through a syringe so she would stay hydrated. We're taking her to the Vet today as soon as I get home... I just pray it's not too late.

By the way my other 2 Blanco 2 and Shadoe 4 still had diarrhea when we stopped it. There has to be something that can be done, how can this company be allowed to sell food that they know poisons animals. And for that matter the stores that sell it knowing it has caused damage to animals. I will sue Petco as well for selling a product knowing damn well what it's doing. My Cleo has seen me through kidney failure, dialysis (6 years), my continuing battle with Lupus, as well as kidney transplant. My dogs helped me heal after my transplant when I was confined to my room for the first 2 months after the transplant. Cleo would get on the bed with me after dialysis when I was sick and would not get up until I did, I'm praying she'll be ok.

Original review: June 1, 2017

We have two 16 month old litter mate, golden retrievers and a pomeranian. We opened a new bag of Blue Buffalo Kibble (that they have been on for months), then all three had loose stools, and some bloating with lethargy. This went on for a month, with us eliminating whatever we could to diagnose the problem. Then the kibble was almost gone, and we thought it might be their food. We purchased a new bag, and the loose stool problem went away in 48 hours with all three at the same time, with no other changes in their diet.

I had heard that this company had some contaminated food/or adding something into the foods that had made dogs ill with gastrointestinal ailments. I do believe our dogs were reacting to something in that bag of food, and we will not support this company and will change to another brand for our beloved pups. I feel so sad for some of you that have lost your sweet pets, or struggled with illnesses from this brand of pet food. There should be a level of integrity and accountability to these large companies that feel they are untouchable. Thanks for reading.

Original review: June 1, 2017

I just had to put my beloved 8.5 year old male cat down because he had a complete urinary tract block from cystitis and became septic. He has been eating Blue Buffalo since I adopted him as a 5 week old kitten. He also got a daily can of wet cat food. I am devastated and have been trying to learn everything I can about feline urinary tract infections only to learn that the expensive cat food I have been feeding him KILLED him! I spent the first couple days grieving and now I am so angry. Had I not given him Blue Buffalo I may still have my little fur buddy. UGH!! I will never use this product again if and when I decide to adopt another cat.

Original review: May 30, 2017

I'm happy found this page. I have a 10 y/o Boxer and a 3 y/o Chihuahua mix. The Boxer suffers from arthritis and I need to watch her weight. I went to PetSmart and they recommended Blue Buffalo Healthy weight Adult chicken & Brown Rice Recipe. The boxer is losing weight very quickly, simply because she refuses to eat it and rather goes hungry than even give it a chance. The chihuahua will eat it after he realizes there is not more choices.

Original review: May 29, 2017

Nature's Evolutionary Diet adult Dry Dog Food 100% Grain Free - My Dog absolutely loves this dog food. But she hates the "LifeSource Bits". She spits them out and I'm constantly sweeping them up. I went to the pet store to find another dog food and the employee there told me she's had several customers complain of the same thing. So I am only finding another brand because there are little pellets all over my floor.

Original review: May 28, 2017

My dog has been on this dry food for several years. Bought a new bag yesterday and within an hour of eating the first meal from it became severely ill. Diarrhea and severe vomiting and crying as she vomited. I liken it to a bad case of food poisoning. Will return the bag today and switch her to something else. She was not ill or had any symptoms prior to eating. I will report to Blue Buffalo. Either a tainted batch or possible change in recipe?

Original review: May 28, 2017

I decided to give this food a try. My car has a gluten allergy, so we decided to go grain free at the advice of out vet. Well, my cat vomited. I thought maybe it was a one time thing. Today she vomited all over the house. She has also been seeing all over. I found this site when do research on Blue Buffalo. Thank goodness. This site may have very well saved my cat's life.

Original review: May 27, 2017

Both of my dogs have been on Blue Buffalo dog food for a week, they only get it at night because during the day they go to the farm and have breakfast there. Both of them have uncontrollable diarrhea all night. One of my dogs has also been very lethargic and not wanting to play with is very much unlike him, he is constantly on the go. That haven't been on it long at all and they are already miserable. I'm never buying this food again.

Original review: May 22, 2017

Blue Buffalo KILLED MY DOG at the ripe old age of 1 year old. The vet told me he sees many dogs in his office sick and dying because of this dog food. My aunt has 2 Yorkies that have developed chronic colitis which is incurable. Blood in stools, vomiting, loss of appetite. I also have clients who have told me their cats and dogs have developed bloody stools because of this dog food. Not to mention this dog food has had several RECALLS. I hate that Blue Buffalo has those people in the pet stores trying to sell you their dog food. If it was so good then you wouldn't need someone trying to sell you it! PLEASE. I beg you never ever buy this dog food.

Original review: May 16, 2017

I would like to warn all dog owners. After changing from regular Blue Buffalo Chicken and Rice to Freedom Grain Free Chicken and brown rice. My dog ate approx. 1 cup when I noticed she stopped eating anything. The vet put her on a bland diet and she seemed to improve, but when the BB food was added to her bland diet she again stopped eating. The vets blood panel showed her kidneys were shutting down. The numbers were so high the vet said she wouldn't survive, he described it as a major toxic event. The dog lost 7 lbs. In 9 to 10 days with oral tube feeding of beef & rice, her normal weight being 23 lbs. The nausea meds did not help her keep food down. I had her put down on May 09 '17 because she refused to eat and couldn't hold down food also she started to have blood in her urine on the evening of May 08 '17. Now I see all Blue Buffalo food is on sale with free shipping! How can they sleep at night?

Original review: May 8, 2017

Last year we were looking for a new senior food for my 3 dogs since they're all seniors. We were told by not only our vet but others that Blue Buffalo was best for them, so we went out and grabbed a bag. While into the bag Boxer started having stomach issue more than usual, and my Maltese started having skin issues dry flaky skin. Was told it was an allergy to the food so we took the unused portion bag back and returned to the normal food we had been giving them with no further issues. Meanwhile my Maltese started losing hair I mean patches of hair. Took him back to the vet and they said they needed to run a skin test. 4 days later we got the results and it was positive for a rare form of skin cancer. Due to his age and size they did not recommend treatment saying it would kill him faster than if we just to let it go. Shortly after that he lost his hair on his body, had big dry spots. We tried everything lotions, baths.

Until a few days ago he started developing lesions on his body. He couldn't get comfortable, was spitting up his water, having trouble breathing. We could no longer seeing what he was going through that we had to put him down today. 7 months after being told he had cancer. Before Blue Buffalo my dogs were perfectly healthy. No issues. We were just trying to find them a good senior food that they all can eat together. Since then my Boxer formed a type of MS and was put down in Dec 2016. My Maltese had cancer was put down today, and my other dog has really never been the same. Shame on you Blue Buffalo for your false advertising on your food. Profit before health. I hope you guys go to hell, and how can you live with yourselves seeing what you are doing to families who cherish their animals. I hope it's worth it. I never know how many people disliked this company till I started doing research a few months back on it.

Original review: May 3, 2017

Feeding BB Indoor dry cat food to my 2 y/o tabby for approx 3 months. This past Easter weekend she nearly died. 2 ER visits and Vet when asked if I should change her diet product said "No". Back to another ER clinic again today. Vet told me to get her off that food. She was lethargic, would eat or drink water, would hide refusing to eat. She was in agonizing pain. I could read her. It has to be the Blue Buffalo. Confirmed at the new Vet today. Thanks to her Chloe is on her way to recovery. The remaining product at home is now in the trash, whereas it belongs!!

Original review: May 2, 2017

I was feeding my 17 year old cat very successfully with Castor and Pollux Organic food. Pet stores stopped carrying it, so I (slowly as recommended) switched over to Blue Wilderness, figuring it was the next best healthy. My poor little kitty started peeing, completely emptying her bladder, all over the house! Or NEXT to the litter box, but not in it. Then she developed constipation. There were no behavioral reasons for this, and I started to accept that maybe her kidneys were failing as happens to old cats.

I was SO sad, as she is like my best friend! I had just taken her to the vet only a month before and got a full work up, totally successful, except for a few old teeth, not surprising for an old cat! So before taking her back to the vet, I searched around and found the C and P organic food, started her back on that, (along with a laxative). Lo and behold, she started improving! Now, 2 months later she is back to her fastidious litter box habits, running around, even climbing trees. So, if you want to go through the hell of considering putting your cat down because of apparent pain and urine all over your house, buy Blue Wilderness food. If you want a healthy happy cat, get Castor and Pollux Organic food. This is the food that also seemed to cure my old boy cat of months of diarrhea, within a few days of switching to this food, he never had diarrhea again.

Original review: April 30, 2017

I fed my Pit Bull the red meat in can. I bought in bulk so never notice the recall, my dog loved this food but eventually made him sick. He developed cancer a mast cell tumor which can be caused by allergies which I believe this food caused, he had surgery but didn't last 2 months he passed 3 weeks ago. My heart is broken, this food killed my dog, this company should be shut down immediately.

Original review: April 27, 2017

We have fed our 6 year old Husky Blue Buffalo for over a year without problems. We mainly buy the Denali Dinner, however when we bought our three month old husky the BB puppy food she had continuously loose stools. We keep having to feed her rice to get her back on track. The puppy line of Blue Buffalo is rough on the digestive system. We're considering switching brands so that our puppy doesn't have to deal with the bouts of diarrhea anymore.

Original review: April 26, 2017

I was appalled when I found this site! I was looking to lodge a complaint against Blue Buffalo when I found it. I am so glad I did. I have noticed my dog lethargic after switching to this brand can food (limited ingredient) and have even worse news about their dental bones. I had not put 2 and 2 together and now will take my dog off of everything "Blue"!! My complaint was because I just got off the phone with "customer service" and was told to go to the store to get credit when I learned that their treats "health bars" which state on the top of the FRONT of the bag "NO CHICKEN/POULTRY BY PRODUCT MEALS, NO CORN, WHEAT OR SOY, NO ARTIFICIAL PRESERVATIVES, NO ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS'' and found out too late, that listed in the ingredients in small print on the BACK of the bag is CHICKEN MEAL.

My dog is allergic to chicken, and silly me, I believed there was no CHICKEN in the "apple and yogurt" treats (as many companies use cheap chicken as fillers in their treats). Of course it was explained to me that the point was it was not chicken "by-products". This is serious mislabeling and not only stupid, but dangerous. I expected more than "go back to where you bought it, not for a refund, but for an exchange". I left my number and was told not to expect a call back. I said "no problem, if I don't get a call back, I will lodge a formal complaint against the company for misleading the public about its ingredients." Then I come here and realized how much issue my dog has had with this company's food products.

I recently purchased their dental bones, and my dog was never so sick. He threw up and had AWFUL diarrhea for 4 days. Between what I have seen here, my experience with the canned food (I don't want to think about what garbage is in there now), the mis-labeled treats, the dental bones from Hell, and the lack of customer support, I join others in hoping this company is SHUT DOWN FOR GOOD. Thank you for listening. I joined this site just to write this review, and appreciate others taking the time to help dog lovers like me.

Original review: April 14, 2017

My beloved dog is slowly dying due to this food and we do not know what to do. We started feeding him Blue Buffalo and he started acting weird, very lethargic, panting, excessive water drinking and many more symptoms. So we took him to get a blood test and found out that his CATALYST DX LEVELS ARE AT 3,492 which is super high and the doctor suggested that our dog may not make it through the weekend. Now he is at the vet and they are flushing his kidneys in hopes of saving our dog. Please do not feed your dogs this crap. It will kill them. It has a very high toxicity levels.

If my dog dies due to this we will take class action against them because what they are doing is very disgusting. My dogs toxicity levels would only get bad when we fed him this food same with our other dog. Get your dog tested if you are feeding them blue buffalo. They could not be showing very ill signs but with continuation of this food they can well be on their way to death. PLEASE GET THEM TESTED.

Original review: April 13, 2017

My 13yo, 15 lb Schnoodle was recently euthanized from osteosarcoma. I switched him over to Blue Buffalo Freedom Grain Free Adult in September of last year. I thought the life bits and non gluten would be good for him. He was using their other gluten free product. He had always been very active, so I thought he was just getting arthritis. Then he started limping. Then the bone cancer diagnosis that only affects 10,000 dogs/year and 95% large dogs. (My dog was in the 500 dogs/yr category.) I looked online to see if this dog food is known to cause osteosarcoma, and I see that they just donated $6 million to study it. I also saw other food health issues. Knowing no data was collected for this disease with my dog, I wanted it here, in case someone else has a dog on the gluten free foods and develops osteosarcoma.

Original review: April 13, 2017

Do Not Feed Your Dog Chicken & Brown Rice Life Protection. I fed this food to my 3 year old American Pit Bull Terrier for about 6 months. Pit bulls are prone to skin infections and mine was no exception. I researched the best food to feed him but he always had a rash on his belly. I decided to give this food a try based on the ingredient list. His skin did not clear up and he began constantly licking his paws. I took him to the vet for the usual round of antibiotics and the vet indicated he had seasonal (winter) allergies.

Shortly after the last skin flare up, which never completely healed, he started peeing blood in the snow. Back to the vet for a bladder infection and more antibiotics. He stopped peeing blood after a few days on the medicine but started having runny diarrhea, which I assumed was from the medication. He finished his meds for the bladder infection but the runny poop did not stop. He started pooping in the house, 3 - 4 times during the day, 2 - 3 times in the middle of the night, and constantly had to go outside. Then he started pooping blood. On a short walk, he pooped 9 times, all liquid, mostly blood. Jesus, how much is a vet bill to treat bloody poop?? It doesn't matter because I can't afford it anyway.

I had enough of cleaning poop stains out of my carpet so I decided to stop giving him this food. I started feeding him boiled chicken breast, brown rice, peas & carrots with coconut oil. Within a day or two, his skin cleared up, better than ever, and his poop returned to normal (no blood), saving me what I assume to be hundreds of dollars in vet bills. From here on out, I will only feed him food that I prepare myself. My dog begs for his food now, instead of procrastinating eating because commercial dog food is pure garbage. I love my dog too much and I am too poor to take a chance on another dog food that makes him sick.

Original review: April 12, 2017

Just returned from vet office. We switched to Blue Buffalo because it seemed like good food. My dog was sickly for a while and he now diagnosed with kidney problem. Doctor asked us about his food and told us to get rid of it.

Original review: April 1, 2017

I had a healthy 11 year old cat who was on Total Canine cat food since he was a kitten. I went to PetSmart and spoke to a employee who I asked suggestions on cat food as I wanted to change my cat's food up. He suggested Blue Brand cat. I purchased a bag which cost me over 60 dollars a bag which I didn't care if it was healthy for my cat. 3 days on the food my cat didn't seem right. He was having trouble walking and crying which he never did before. I brought him to the vet and was told he kidneys were shutting down. Needless to say I was in total disbelief as I thought I was feeding my cat good food. Last night I had to make the hardest decision of my life to let my beautiful beloved cat go to kitty heaven. My heart is broke and I will get it out as much as I can - DO NOT FEED your animals BLUE BRAND pet food.

Original review: March 20, 2017

Two weeks ago, I bought a couple of cans of the chicken and trout as described above (CT). My cats liked it. Those cans were from PetSmart. Last week, I bought four cans from Petco... and decided I would continue to get it, as it gave my cats variety in their meals. They ate from the new batch on Thursday morning, and by nighttime, I had three cats vomiting, with diarrhea, and in distress. One of them already is severely compromised because of Polycythemia, a rare blood disorder in cats. On Friday, another began the same symptoms. I rushed four cats to my vet who put them on an anti-emetic and anti-diarrheal medications.

One of my cats, a calico, had tasted the food but declined to eat it. She is picky, so I made nothing of it. She remained okay. I have a sixth cat, who, as an abused kitten, does not mix with my other five. This cat is now three years old but is quartered in one part of the house. She has no contact with the other five. She had eaten some of the CT on Saturday morning. At that time I had not thought of food poisoning. However, on Sunday, she began showing signs of being sick as well. Since she is isolated from the rest of my cats, it dawned on me that food poisoning was a consideration.

I contacted Blue Buffalo, identified the food and on the remaining unopened can, the numbers for QC, and requested a return call. There are still cans of this food at the Petco at Festival at Riva store in Annapolis, MD. I have called twice, without hearing from them. I am now quite sure, after reviewing this with my vet, that the batch is defective and has caused my cats to be severely ill. They are now beginning to recover, but four days of vomiting and diarrhea have taken a toll, especially on my cat who has Polycythemia and needs constant blood work to live. I don't want this to happen to anyone else, and Blue Buffalo has got to do respond and take appropriate action to remove this batch from being bought.

Original review: March 17, 2017

I had two cats. They were both older, and I have always babied them. My husband and I decided about three weeks ago that we would switch their food to Blue Buffalo because the company touted that it was natural and healthy. I wanted to make sure, as they are aging, that they had the best nutrition to keep them healthy. We diligently mixed the old food with the new according to the instructions on the package.

My male cat within a few days refused to eat it. I took him to the vet because he was refusing to eat and had what I thought was a seizure. The vet said it could have been his heart because she detected a murmur. We took him home but he refused to eat the food. My female cat continued to eat it. She has always been an odd cat. Little changes in the home would upset her. With my male having been sick, we thought her extra neediness was because she was upset. She was still wandering the house, meowing, she would crawl up in bed to cuddle. Last night, we began searching for her because she had not come out to greet us when we got home. We found her in her favorite spot, dead. My male cat is recovering since has refused to eat the food, but we had a scare with him vomiting blood and becoming very lethargic.

The only new or different thing in our home was this food. Both of my cats were very healthy with no health concerns at all until we brought this product into our home. I hadn't heard anything negative about the food/company. Other brands I had seen reports of recalls and issues to be aware of. If I had known, I would never have fed my cats this crap. I have not found a single response from this company stating that there was a known problem or that there was any action to correct issues with their product. But I have found hundreds of accounts of pet owners such as myself going through hell after they began feeding their pets this food. Many I read had the same symptoms as my two. It was just too much of a coincidence to deny that it was the food that made them sick. I will never again buy this brand, and I will recommend to everyone I know who have pets not to buy their product either.

Original review: March 16, 2017

I am a black lab that is not in the vet hospital with severe pancreatitis. He was fine and healthy until I switched him over to Blue Wilderness High Protein chicken recipe for senior dogs. He would not eat or drink and didn't even want to play. After 2 days I was very concerned, when I brought him to the vet and after the initial bloodwork was told of the results. The vet asked if I changed anything and told him. He then told me that this dog food was the worst, very high levels of fat and said it was not FDA approved. I have read other articles of the same thing happening. How can we stop this from happening again. First I think Blue Wilderness should pay for my vet bill, and second stop this company from selling pet food once and for all. Can't be a coincident that it is happening to so many dogs.

Original review: March 4, 2017

Vet believes Blue Buffalo killed my dog. I have always cherished my dogs and cats. They are family, they are my heart and I have lost my share of babies through passing by natural causes. This is not about a natural cause. I am so saddened about what I heard from my Vet today. This past Christmas eve, I noticed that my sweet Bella, a beautiful rescued chi, was becoming lethargic, not as happy to see me when I came home. She was always the first one to the door when I got home. I took her with me shopping for the day and found that all she did was sleep in her pouch, which I wear around my neck. She did want water, but didn't seem to be hungry, even for her special chicken breast with rice. By Christmas morning, I was even more concerned. She just wasn't looking well. I had been up all night with her. She slept, I watched her.

Since Christmas was on Sunday, first thing Monday morning, off to our amazing Vet we went. I thought maybe she had a virus. This past couple days were the only time that she had shown any signs that she may be ill. As I sat watching a much more serious look on my Vet's face than usual, my heart began to pound. He turned to me and said, "Kathie, we need to run some tests." Bella had ulcers in her mouth and down her throat, which is a sign of kidney failure.

I was afraid, but hopeful. This was the first time she showed sign that she was ill. If it was just beginning, a diet change and some meds would be in order for the rest of her life. I could handle that. Dr. ** took blood tests and kept her, giving her fluids as she was dehydrated. Soon I got the call, my heart, my princess, Bella, was in acute, end-stage kidney failure. Her levels were 100x what they should be. She had just had her yearly exam within the past 2 months with no signs of any ill health.

My heart began to break, but thankfully my Vet want going to give up just yet. For the next 4 days, my baby would be on fluids and meds, to be rechecked at the end of the week. On Thursday, I went to pick her up for the night and the Dr wanted to talk to me. Bella's levels remained high, with only minor reductions. She would not be long in my life and was suffering. I made the decision to take her home and return the next day to let her go. I spent every minute with her laying on my chest, crying. She knew that I was sad. At least that is what I believe. At some point in the night, she got up to go potty and ate some. I was overjoyed. In the morning, I called my Vet. They allowed me to give fluids and meds at home. I prayed that God would not take her and that her eating was my sign that she would recover.

Sadly, 2 nights later, New Years Eve, I spent my last 2 hours, holding her, in her pjs and warm blankets, staring into my beautiful girls eyes. I told her that I would be okay, knowing that it would be a very long time before I was. I wanted her to rest, no more pain, no more confusion for my love. She passed that morning at 4:31 am. My Vet explained she may have had it longer than we knew, that she may be older than we knew, after all, she was a rescue. I accepted that.

Today, I had a chance to thank the owner of the clinic, a Vet with well over 40 years experience. I explained about the amazing treatment that I received from the staff and the younger doctors. He thanked me, but felt I needed to know that kidney failure that is acute, like Bella's, where she passed within 7 days from seeing any symptoms to passing, comes from poisoning, most likely from her food. My heart sank. I thought that I was buying the best. Today I've found that my baby wasn't then only one. Blue Buffalo appears to be responsible for the death or suffering of many, many other pets. This makes me both sad and angry. I am not accepting this as okay. I will do all that I can to stop another Furbabies family from the unbearable pain of a sudden passing of their loved ones because of toxic dog food. Please consider my story and watch your animal if they are eating Blue Buffalo!

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Company Information