2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

4.0/5 (1244 ratings)
Shop Now on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Blue Buffalo Pet Foods

Blue Buffalo is a manufacturer of dog and cat foods. Ingredients include high-quality meats, fruits, vegetables, cheese, eggs, fish oil, barley, rye, fava beans, vitamins and mineral supplements. Products are available on the company’s website and through other retailers.

Pros

• No filler ingredients
  • Wide selection of food and treats
  • Vitamins and mineral supplements

Cons

• Brand has had recalls
  • Can be expensive

Bottom Line

Blue Buffalo uses high-quality ingredients for its pet food. The company doesn’t use animal byproducts, and it adds vitamins and minerals to provide a balanced diet. There's a range of options for pets of all ages and needs.

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Buffalo Pet Foods?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Buffalo Pet Foods?

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

I say about a day ago I bought Blue Wilderness for my very active energetic puppy, people kept suggesting that for my German Shepherd pup but it made her vomit and no longer acting like herself, she has been refusing to eat any food, any suggestions on what to do? Our vet was closed today so we couldn't take her up there.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

I started my kitten on Blue Wilderness wet and dry cat food because the shelter was feeding him Purina Friskies and I heard that Blue was supposed to best store brand. My kitten has no trouble adjusting between foods, and it’s been a couple months since I started him on Blue. However, about a month into Blue, he started throwing up all the time. Just this morning, he threw up 5 times in a row all over my bedroom floor. Not to mention, his activity increased soo much since I started him on this. What the hell are you guys doing to this food?!

And now that I’ve been online and seen all the negatives about this company (which you guys do a good job of covering up in specific searches) and about how many animals it’s killed, you can bet your ass my cat isn’t eating this ** anymore. This is like feeding your child nothing but McDonald’s! This is horrible! It’s so hard to find good foods. All billionaire companies like to do is find the cheapest ways to do things no matter how it affects the health of their target audience. They’re forcing us to slowly kill our babies!

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

Do not buy these treats! Blue Buffalo “All Natural" Dog Treats sent my fur baby into liver failure! Seizures, overnights at the animal hospital, ultrasounds neurologists, biopsies, and 5 medications every 2 to 3 hours a day not to mention a few grand. Later after ruling out cancer and or neurological issues it was concluded that it was the Dog Treats causing the issue! Something needs to be done, Blue Buffalo you need to take responsibility for the pain and suffering you are causing your customers! You need to compensate! I think a class action is warranted. You almost took the light of my life from me. It appears I’m not the only one!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

My three year old Boxer just passed away and I am fairly certain her death was due to Blue Buffalo dog food. She was very healthy dog. After a couple of months on the food she became more and more less interested in eating it. Looking back I should have changed food then, but Blue Buffalo was highly rated. A week before she died she experienced diarrhea and fatigue off & on. She passed away less than 24 hours after seeing the vet, at that time all vitals were normal & was sent home with anti diarrhea meds. I really wished I did a better job researching this product, maybe this review will save a pup.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

Blue Buffalo Dog Homestyle Recipe Chicken Dinner - Our 4 year old min pin is at the ER Hospital fighting for her life with pancreatitis and a severe urinary infection. We only started a slow food switch a month ago or less. The ER Docs said they were seeing many cases of pancreatitis during the food changeover. Hopefully I caught it early and she will live... She started vomiting today and within 4 hours had crashed. Not sure if it’s the food, but after reading many other posts and news stories, probably not a coincidence. Our Belle might die and has suffered greatly today because we wanted to feed her “Healthy and Holistic Natural Food for Dogs”. My advice: Don’t be tempted by the commercials.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

If I could give this product 0 stars I would! My puppy is so sick and this dog food (Puppy Food chicken flavor) that I got today is the blame!!! Blue Buffalo like my energetic puppy is out of it, lethargic, vomiting, just not himself. And he never acts like this! $50 for some dog food that has my baby sick AF! Don't feed your dog this **. I swear I should have done my research first. But everyone insisted to my BF this is the food he should be eating. First of all I wanna say I won't be taking any more advice from nobody when it comes to the well being of my dog. Like seriously I will raise him, Train him, and feed him what I see is best! Don't buy this! I REPEAT. DON'T BUY THIS DOG FOOD.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

Do NOT feed your pet BLUE. I do not usually write reviews, but I want to warn other pet owners out there about this terrible product. My cat has been on BLUE all of her life, and for the past 2 years she has been on BLUE Wilderness Indoor Chicken formula. Recently, she had to have major surgery to remove a large struvite bladder stone, which is caused by diet. When I wrote to this company about what happened, they brushed it off and blamed my vet for not linking the stone to the food. My vet (who I trust and saved her life) let me know that these stones are always caused by diet. BLUE Buffalo knows this as well. I am extremely disappointed with this company and product and just want to protect other animals out there.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

We thought we were doing a good thing by switching our 55 lb. Siberian Husky & our 30 lb. Springer Mix to the higher priced Blue Grain Free. We followed protocol & did it slowly, mixing with their old food Max Grain Free. Both dogs quickly developed very loose stools. When we originally switched to Max, this did not happen! Both their stools continued to get even more runny. We finally gave up and quickly went back to Max. Both dogs stools firmed right back up. It just seems odd that two very different dogs reacted to Blue the exact same way!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

Blue Buffalo Basic - Tried both wet and dry for my dog’s sensitive skin, she has food allergies. She still itched. Having looked at the ingredient statement and the company's advertising, they claim to be better quality, however it’s all marketing appealing to millennials. I used to purchase ingredients for dry pet food, and other than the fact that they use poultry meal instead of poultry-by product meal, there is no sense paying a premium for a product that is essentially the same a Purina. Further, poultry by product meal actually may be more digestible for pets, so it may be all smoke and mirrors marketing.

I spoke with my vet (that has a pet) and she said she felt that there was way too much fiber in their products and as such would not feed Blue products to her dog. My dog is very sensitive to food and I do have a hard time finding products for her to eat, outside of Purina HA, which is awfully expensive but in reality Blue's products are more hype than anything else and is probably not worth the premium. They also use de-boned chicken is probably frozen product, so if one wants a real premium product go with Origen, it seems to be all fresh. Don't waste your money on the hype this company is selling, there are better options out there worth the premium.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

What we now know about Blue Buffalo makes me and my family sick. Our dog became violently ill after eating Blue Buffalo. We had him checked into emergency. His condition was dire and the Vet said that they were not sure that the dog would make it through the night. They brought him back to better health, but it was touch and go. I remember prior to his issues that he would whine at his dog dish. I didn't understand why. He would look at us and look at his dog dish. I kept telling him to eat that there was nothing wrong with his food. Well the dog was hungry, so he reluctantly ate the food. After that he had his spell in emergency, we only fed him rice with chicken that we made up ourselves. His condition improved and he was back to normal. We kept up feeding him the rice and chicken for a couple of weeks. From all indications he was back to himself again.

After that, we started mixing his dog food with the rice and chicken and eventually weened away the rice and chicken. Next he was back on just Blue Buffalo again. A couple of days later his condition went from good to downhill again. He continued to not want to eat his food. We found him on the bathroom floor one morning. He was lethargic and he died there that morning. He was fine for a couple of days prior and he went downhill after feeding him Blue Buffalo again. It was only after he died that I put two and two together.

The only common denominator was his eating his Blue Buffalo food that brought his health condition down. Had we only paid closer attention to him. He was giving us signs by whining at his dog dish when we put the food in front of him. He knew there was something wrong with the food, but we didn't pay close enough attention. What this taught us is that we need to pay closer to attention to our dog as they are ultra sensitive and can detect things.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Blue Buffalo/Wilderness almost killed my dog - I purchased a bag of Blue Wilderness puppy dry food not knowing that Blue Wilderness was related to Blue Buffalo. My dog became VERY ill, throwing up and vomiting excessive. My dog became lethargic and his issue became worse with blood in his stool and vomit. I thought he may have eaten something bad that did not agree with him however he only got worse! I took him to the vet thinking he contracted Parvo since the symptoms were so similar. They did a Parvo test and it was Negative. All x-rays, blood, stool, came back normal of course. It was the Blue Wilderness dog food that made my baby sick and he is LUCKY to be alive! Who is going to correct and compensate for this? Horrible!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

They claim to have more healthy food for your pet, but have the same just listed different on can. I spent more thinking it would be better quality but same as Friskies with just a higher price tag. My cat was sick for days after eating this food.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Looking for quality which I feel Blue Buffalo has both their dry food and wet along with Solid Gold food. Would not jeopardize my dog's health with choosing any food of low quality.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Since I changed to Blue Buffalo my little Sadie Mae has more energy, she's more alert and wants to walk and play again. I feed her the Wilderness high protein - grain free Salmon recipe with Life Source Bits-adult. This is a very good investment in her health and well being. I love my little girl and would be lost without her, feeding her Blue Buffalo ensures she'll be happy and healthy.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Excellent reviews, great digestive ingredients. Have tried the kibble & canned food. Easy for my dog to digest. Just wish there were coupons for this product.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

My dog really loves this brand, I get 4 of the different choices that Blue Buffalo offers and he loves all of them. This brand has all of the benefits that are needed for my dog which I have check and I am very pleased with this product.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

My seven year old pitbull is actually a very finicky eater. She does like the Blue Buffalo. My only complaint is I wish it was a little cheaper. But as the saying goes you get what you pay for.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods is a very good all nature food for my dog. It's a little high in price but the vet to me this is the number 1 dog food. Thank you. I would try another food for my dog.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

My dog a Lab mix, loves this food, even eating it twice a day for 8 years. Her lab results are perfect, her weight is well within normal ranges and there have been no negative side effects.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

I use the one for small breed. My dogs use to have problems walking and no longer have problems since using Blue Buffalo pet food. They also had more pep. The lamb is getting hard to find lately. I can only find online.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

I have been feeding Blue Buffalo Pet Foods for 3 years to a Doberman and a Boxer. Both dogs have sleek healthy coats and have had no health issues. I order through Chewy.com and the food comes when I need it.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

My pup has had horrible allergies his entire life. He gets daily steroid pills, shots once a month, can't have not 1 flea and we have to monitor his diet very closely. A veterinarian told me to try Blue Buffalo and said it was the best on the market for fur babies like mine. This dog food is quite expensive, even for a 15 lb pup. After using it for a couple months, there was little to no change at all. For my dog, I personally don't think it is worth the price you pay for it.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

Blue Buffalo is a little costly, but I like that she likes it and I feel better that she is getting food healthier for her. It's hard to find in my area so I usually buy in bulk when I find it.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I purchased this food because it seemed to have fewer "gross" ingredients than any other I had seen. I know that some foods have things such as chicken feathers in them and I did not want my dogs eating that stuff!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

We switched to the Blue Buffalo brand when our dogs got really sick and refused to eat their food. Within a week they both were looking better and seemed happier.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

I have tried other dog foods but my dog has always preferred Blue Buffalo. When I purchased other brands he would sometimes leave the food in his dish for hours. Now every time I put Blue Buffalo in his dish he eats every bite right away, fast, and always seems to look for more. He seems to look forward to his food at every meal. The ingredients are healthier than many other brands. I do wish the price was a little more reasonable though!

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

This is a really good dog food, it just has healthy ingredients in it. It is one of the best out there. If you are looking for a good dog food then you should try this one.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

It is the only brand I can get my dogs to eat, daily, without getting bored with it. I love how healthy it has kept my dogs. I just wish it wasn't so expensive or there were coupons for it!

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

Unfortunately, when you contact Blue Buffalo Pet Foods for an in depth analysis of their brands of food, they will not commit to answering your questions, and will instead, beat around the bush so to speak. I had initially contacted them regarding their foods out of concern - not only was I feeding their product to my dogs, but a friend of mine had a 10 year old cat that went into sudden renal failure, recovered, and then suddenly became hyperthyroid. I was very concerned, naturally, however, did not receive answers directly from the company. As such, I have switched brands of food and have certainly seen much better results.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

My two little shih tzus are on the grain-free food and they love it. My big dogs are on rice and chicken. I used to cook chicken and rice and add it to other brands. They will eat Blue Buffalo dry and love it.

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Company Information