2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

4.0/5 (1244 ratings)
Shop Now on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Blue Buffalo Pet Foods

Blue Buffalo is a manufacturer of dog and cat foods. Ingredients include high-quality meats, fruits, vegetables, cheese, eggs, fish oil, barley, rye, fava beans, vitamins and mineral supplements. Products are available on the company’s website and through other retailers.

Pros

• No filler ingredients
  • Wide selection of food and treats
  • Vitamins and mineral supplements

Cons

• Brand has had recalls
  • Can be expensive

Bottom Line

Blue Buffalo uses high-quality ingredients for its pet food. The company doesn’t use animal byproducts, and it adds vitamins and minerals to provide a balanced diet. There's a range of options for pets of all ages and needs.

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Buffalo Pet Foods?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Buffalo Pet Foods?

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

Onynx was allergic to grain, he tolerated some dog food, but never completely symptoms free. The Blue Buffalo grain free did the trick. And even not grain was good.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods is healthy food with less fat than Bil-Jac which is also a great option, just not for overweight pups. They have good ingredients but I read labels every time I shop in case the ingredients change.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods have high quality ingredients and little if any filler. There are lots of options as far as life stage, particular issues such as weight control, etc. and it's well worth the extra cost. Dogs eat it with enthusiasm and they have no food allergy issues.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

The Blue Buffalo Pet Foods used to be great, but recently, the prices are going up, the bags are getting smaller, and the dog isn't as enthusiastic about it. I can do as well at half the price.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

My three animals been on this brand for at least 5 years, they are very healthy! They always have good checkups at my vet and they're very active and playful! I keep feeding them Blue Buffalo!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

I have had dogs all my life and I fed them Pedigree dog food until the company sold and their ingredients changed. I shopped around and tried a few different foods until I came upon Blue. I checked the ingredients, spoke to the rep and I even researched on the computer. Even though it was pricey I gave it a try and haven't turned back since. I have 3 dogs and to find a food that they all like can be challenging. I buy the food for small breeds and the dogs just love it. It's easy to digest and they don't have watery stool that often. If all that I read is true I will keep on buying it since it's made right here in the USA.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

Makes our rottweiler's coat very shiny and he likes the flavor. Hard and canned food very easy to find in any local pet store and very reasonable in price.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods' made with the dogs' health in mind and the dogs enjoy all the different flavors. It is available at almost all the stores we shop and the prices are reasonable.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I started my dogs on this a couple of years ago along with some other natural products. They really liked the taste. It's a little more expensive than some dog foods but worth it to me to know they are getting good ingredients.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

My dogs loved the sample bag of Blue Buffalo pet food, but would not eat the food when I purchased a bag; I often wondered if it was different, or the purchased bag was old.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I used it for years then my dog's skin broke out and her hair started falling out. Actually she was pulling it out. Also started having digestive issues. Vet said allergy. Stopped the food and symptoms stopped.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I am extremely happy with Blue Buffalo. In the past year we have gotten a dog with allergies and the limited ingredients dog food has been great! We have a 5 year old cat that is now on a diet because he weighed 30 lbs. We have put him on the weight management cat food and am happy to say he has lost 4 lbs. so far. We have tried many of the different brands and haven't been as satisfied as with Blue Buffalo.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

My Ozzy was feed the senior chicken and rice, he lived to be 16 yrs old. Now my Sasha is being fed this too. She loves it! Would recommend Blue Buffalo for every senior dog.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I'm currently using Blue Buffalo. Before that I was using Natural Balance but my dog got tired of it. He seems very happy with Blue Buffalo. I get the one for weight control.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

Our 7 year old dog came to us on Blue Buffalo and we've only switched the flavor. She only eats once a day but seems to enjoy it. We order online and it comes to our door.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

We have a standard Jack Russell and she has food sensitivity. We tried many types excluding all Purina products as their food caused the death of our last dog. Blue Wilderness is grain free.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

I have 2 Shi Tzu dogs, both are Rescues, and both have been eating Blue Buffalo for almost 7 years. They love the small kibble food and I supplement it with Dynovite, which adds back the nutrients that the cooking process of dog food often takes out of the food that is supposed to benefit these creatures. I will continue to use this brand of food and the supplement of Dynovite. It stops the smelly dog smells and their poop is not all mushy like other foods cause them to be. Easy to clean up, pick up. And they are satisfied with the food. Sometimes for a special treat I will buy the canned version of the small kibble and they love it too.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

Cat food poisoned. Decaying, turning green and blue. This was a couple months back. Blue Buffalo For Sensitive Stomachs: I still buy Blue Buffalo cat foods. I had two 15 lb bags, that were defective. I have been feeding my cats, dry Blue Buffalo cat food for 2 years now. Their foods have always been good. I still keep and eye out on this food: There is so many poisonings for their dog foods. I keep an eye out. Never have I seen food for cats, turn green and stick together with white and blue mold. Until I purchased a Blue Buffalo Cat food product. If you buy their cat foods: Keep an eye out on the kibble daily. If Your cats starts acting funny. Toss the food. If my cats, will not eat it. I toss it. I may switch back to Purina indoor cat food. Or IAMS.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

Been using Purina One cat food for almost 15 years. My ferret's, my cat's, my kittens all eat Purina One. My ferret's needed a higher protein food. I decided to intergrade Blue Buffalo Wilderness cat food into my home. Within 3 days of this food in the house my one and a half year old healthy male cat was so hungry he started pulling apart carpet. I now have cat with a stomach and large intestine full of carpet pieces because the food was inadequate supply of fiber and natural fats that these animals need to feel full. I'm looking at a $3,000 Bill whether he survives or not. These people owe me and my family some compensation for the stress that we are under right now. We have already had to put one pet down in October.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

It started about 2 years ago when my 9 year old cat developed flutd. He was eating Blue Buffalo since he was about three. I noticed he was going around squatting and peeing and using the litter box multiple times a day. So I panicked and I took him to the hospital. Come to find out he had a partial obstruction stuck in his urethra and luckily we caught it in time where a pill could help break it down but he was forced to be on prescription food for the rest of his life. The vet said if it comes back while he's on prescription food then it's a problem with the cat but if it goes away completely then it was the food... Ever since switching to prescription food not one problem ever. Of course I'm too scared to switch him back over to any other type of food so he'll just stay on prescription food. I thought ehh it happens... Then our other cat who was almost 2 years old started walking around like he was in pain... constantly visiting the litter box and we saw blood leaking out of him.

This was just a month ago. So I thought, here we go again! He has also been on Blue Buffalo since he was about 16 weeks old. We immediately took him to the hospital where we found out he has a stone blocking his entire urethra and they couldn't dislodge it and his bladder was getting full, something needed to be done right away. So surgery it was. He underwent a very complicated surgery where they had to cut the penis off and pretty much make him a new hole so he could pee. There was many complications from the surgery and his body just couldn't take well to it. He ended up with a UTI and none of the pills or anything was working because he was just too sick. I found him lethargic and throwing up in his litter box. We immediately rushed him back to the hospital...

We never got to bring him back home. He was so sick he had to be euthanized. It was only one week ago today and we are still very heartbroken... Blue Buffalo killed my cat. We are now going back and forth filing a claim. We're sending over the vet bills which totaled close to $4,000! I don't even care about the money at this point. I would do it all over again for him. I just don't want other pet parents to go through the same thing. The amount of money refunded could never bring back my cat. Please don't feed your cat this stuff... something happened with this food... it used to be good... it’s not anymore. R.i.p. my sweet boy Cole 10/21/17.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

This has been a horrible experience. I bought the food because I have two senior Pugs. Since I have started using it they have had consistent diarrhea. There has also been ongoing bouts of peeing. This food is gone from my house. NEVER AGAIN - I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND IT!!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

My 6 month Shit-zu had a seizure last week. Had been on Blue Buffalo Puppy chow for about a week prior to this when this occurred. Vet could not find anything wrong. Changed my puppy chow food, and he has not had any more seizures.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

We brought home a new puppy 6 weeks ago today. She was on Puppy Chow and I knew it had to go. I decided to switch her to Blue Wilderness Large Breed Puppy. She did great on it. Then the first bag was empty. Open bag #2 and she walked away from her food. Figured she just wasn't hungry. Offered again later and she took a few bites then walked away. She finally ate about half her normal feeding when she got really hungry. The next morning, she has explosive diarrhea. Thought it may have been too many treats or the bully sticks, so we stopped giving treats and took the bully stick away.

She continued to nibble on her Blue Wilderness at feedings. Her stools continued to be watery. It was to the point I was ready to have her checked for giardia and coccidia. As this was continuing I decided to switch foods. I figured going cold turkey instead of gradually wasn't going to hurt anything. She ate the new food without hesitation. Her poop went to pudding then solid within 24 hours. I added a little of the Blue Wilderness to her food simply because I was still thinking it may have been the treats and I have this almost full bag of food to use. Back to explosive, watery poop again. So, no more Blue Buffalo. Obviously quality control is lacking and I don't want to risk another bag just for the same results.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I just returned a bag of Blue Buffalo "Freedom" grain-free puppy food to Petco because it had what looked to be rat poop in the food. Disgusting! At $20 for a small bag of food, I expected much better from this company. I wasn't surprised to see so many other negative reviews and comments about sick pets. Bad, bad, bad.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

I took my dog to his vet who could find no reason for his extreme panting and weekend. He had another episode so I had to take him to the emergency vet hospital at 2 am. I finally realized that it could be the new bag of food. He never had a problem before. I stopped giving him the food and he has not had a problem since. Vet bills cost me $350.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

I have had my dog on Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula since he was a puppy. He is now 4 years old and in good health. Never had a problem with this brand. I will continue to use blue Buffalo life protection formula.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

My niece Daisy the chihuahua has been on this food for several years. It's the only food that she will eat. She barely has any teeth left but the kibble is small enough she pretty much just swallows it. She doesn't like wet food either. I have been trying to get her off of this food since the recalls started in 2016. This line of food has never been part of the recall so we kept feeding her this, praying and crossing our fingers that we would never have any issues. We opened a new bag of food on Friday and she started having tummy issues. She had diarrhea the first night the new bag was opened. We gave her probiotics and fed her a bland diet. She was better through the weekend so we added the kibble back on Tuesday.

She had explosive diarrhea Tuesday night again. We did take her to the vet on Wednesday and they don't know what's wrong. She is back on probiotics and a bland diet. We are going to try to get her on a different food or we will be making her home cooked meals from here on out. I feel so awful that we took our chances despite all of the complaints and recalls. I wanted to put this out there in case anyone has had issues with this line. It's so sad to see that this company that once produced great dog food has gone downhill like this.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I fed my cats Blue Buffalo dry food for approximately 2 years thinking that what I read on the bag was truthful. I trusted that the mineral amounts stated on each package were correct... To my surprise my sweetie Bug got very sick very fast. Day one he was lethargic and came and laid his head on my pillow to tell me he was sick. Day two he looked like crap so I made a vet appointment for the following day. Over the day I noticed that he wasn’t urinating.

At 8 am the next day we were at the clinic. They drained his bladder only to find it reblocked several times... End findings were a very large bladder stone cause by his primary source of choleric intake and an excess of minerals in his diet... I followed the feeding instructions verbatim. He died as a result of the complications from the bladder stone later that week... I had no choice but to lay my buggers... Booboo... My little man... My shadow and my best friend to rest. Look at the class actions suits. They're not without merit...

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

When we adopted a new kitten, Oscar, his foster family had been feeding him Blue Wilderness cat food, we decided to switch for our 1 year old, Walter, as well because it seemed healthier. After 1 week our 1 year old cat has been vomiting and has had diarrhea. Walter is now at the animal hospital, severely dehydrated, with low kidney function. The only change in our household has been switching his food. This cat food is poison!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

I have very big concerns about Blue Buffalo's Dry Dog food. I have an 8 year Shih Tzu who has been on the food for 2 years who didn't show problems until about 6 weeks Ago. This is when he began vomiting after every meal and after every time he would drink. He underwent several hundred dollars worth of testing only to find out that it was his dog food that was giving him the trouble.

I understand that dogs develop food allergies so we switched his food and the problem is getting better. I also have an 11 year old Yorkipoo who we were allowing to finish the leftover Blue Buffalo food. He has also been on the food for several years. Well now, the Yorki is vomiting the food as well. This no longer seems to be a coincidental food allergy. This seems to be a very costly and potentially very dangerous pet condition. There is no way that both of my dogs can suddenly have both developed the same allergy to this dog food. I have spent almost $1000 on medical bills behind this dog food not to mention many sleepless nights with vomiting dogs. I really think an investigation needs to be launched into this company.

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Company Information