1.39/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Big Heart Pet Brands

Looking for a good dog food brand?

49 Big Heart Pet Brands Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 28, 2018

We bought several boxes of beef jerky treats from Costco within the past several years. The label on ours does not have the yellow stripe at the top that says "New Look, Improved Recipe" so the ingredients may be slightly different from the current product being sold in 2018. Ours have "Best By Dates of Oct. 2018". I used ours as treats for my own dogs as well as for boarding clients. My client dogs had very loose stools on the days that I used them for trick training and each dog was given the equivalent of several strips throughout the day. One daycare dog kept her owner up all night with diarrhea. My own dogs also had loose stools when I gave them the equivalent of three per day and one had very dark stools which may or may not be coincidental to these treats.

I realize that this may not be a very helpful review as the product may have changed. The reason I am writing this is to encourage each owner to try just one box and see how their dogs do. My dogs do like them and they are very easy to break apart for treat training. And I find the containers easy to use and to store other things in when you are done with them. However the product does seem to dry out over time so it may not be a very airtight top. When dried out my dogs do not like them as much. Also be aware that they have 88kcal/treat and should be used sparingly if weight is an issue for your dog. I encourage that pet owners advocate for testing of the ingredients of this product.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2017

Over the past 19 years, I have fed 10 different cats, Meow Mix, both dry and wet formulas. All of the cats stayed healthy, at a good weight, and, lived and are still living, long, happy lives. None ever threw up the food. I gave them both Indoor and Hairball formulas, plus, Tender Centers. If your cat is throwing up, it may have gotten into something it shouldn't have, nibbled a plant, or, if it goes outside, eaten some grass.

I believe cats do this as a digestive aid, also, it's like kitty veggies. Unfortunately, if you don't have containers of kitty grass, your cat could eat grass with fertilizer, or, weed killer on it. I recommend having indoor only cats, and, giving them kitty grass, or, certain human veggies, like broccoli, squash, zucchini, or yams, to name some good ones. Be sure to check the internet for a list of dangerous foods - you will be surprised that among them are: Hummus, Soy (a tiny bit of tofu is ok.), Garlic, Onions, Potatoes, Tomatoes, and, Milk. A little bit of some of the many lactose free cheeses, is O.K. However, older adult cats tend to be lactose intolerant, and, their kidneys, digestive tract can suffer.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2016

Where to begin. About 5-6 years ago I wanted to switch my doxies from Beneful to a more wholesome food. We came across Natures recipe. This product worked great until the last few months. I just realized this was the problem. We use the small breed chicken or toy version for the boys. I did not save the big bad we bought as we always buy a larger back to offset the cost to feed to little ones.

I noticed about two months ago that both my boys had a gurgly tummy and was upset. My oldest boy who is 16 now, started with the diarrhea. So I am thinking he had a parasite or giardia. Took him to the vet. Had blood tests ran and he was put on treatment and an antibiotic. Please note that he had blood in his stools. The other dog mostly had mushy ones. The blood tests showed inflammation and loss of some blood.

My babies are well taken care of but now I feel that I have let them down due to this food. They also got the mini Milk bones. I had no idea that Del Monte had sold some of their brands to what is now called Big Heart Brands. Supposedly Chinese owned. Now I am transitioning to a vet supplied food to heal his stomach and intestines until I find something more suitable. This is very disturbing. Something changed with this food. It used to be a great food. I even had problems with the ground chicken and rice can food too. I just did not put two and two together. I will no longer be buying this product as I fear for my dog's safety. If I have to cook for them I would rather do that than put them through this. I bought the food at Petsmart and I live in Ohio. We have digital receipts from Petsmart. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2016

I am writing today to raise a formal complaint about the packaging of the ‘Meaty Bone large dog treats.’ I have already phoned the customer complaint number, but my complaint was pushed aside. I am now starting on this web site and moving my way up the ladder, all the way to consumer affairs to have this packaging changed or banned from all packaging and distribution centers.

On Tuesday, October 25, 2016, I left my house at 6:50 am to drop my daughter off at school. I returned at 7:15 am to the most horrific and preventable scene imaginable, one that will NEVER be forgotten, one that will haunt me for the rest of my life. You see I have, or had, two health border collie-lab mix dogs, brothers, who have been a part of our life for nearly 9 years now. On Tuesday, when I returned from my school drop off, I walked into my living room to find my large (90 lb) dog lying on his side by our sofa, something that was not unusual. When I walked around to the end of the sofa, I was horrified to find him with a ‘Meaty Bone treat bag’ stuck on his head and neck. Needless to say he was non responsive.

I immediately pulled the bag off his head and tried to revive him with CPR. His tongue was blue already, so I knew my efforts would be negligible, but I had to try. His death was senseless and preventable. This was not just a pet, or a dog. You see I have a disabled child, who this dog was the protector of, not a trained therapy dog, but a trained dog for her. His loss is irreplaceable.

The packaging of this product is NOT SAFE. It got caught on my dog’s head and asphyxiated him; it could also get caught on a small child’s head. The design of it needs to be changed to a shorter wider package that cannot be caught on a dog’s or child’s head, or a shorter package with a side zipper large enough for a human hand and not a head of an animal or child. I am hoping this letter will bring about a packaging change, so more pets or children do not die. Please do not just add a warning about bags can cause asphyxiation, which is NOT an acceptable change by a concerned manufacturer or distributor.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2016

Back in July, my dog had decreased appetite, increased thirst, seizures, diarrhea, and vomiting. The symptoms started out as just decreased appetite while we were on vacation, so I attributed it to being in an unfamiliar place. I cut the vacation short when she had not eaten for 3 days and was starting to wobble anytime she tried to stand up. I got her home and tried to get her to eat, but after coming home she still would not eat and she had begun having diarrhea and seizures. I rushed her to MedVet, and they could not find anything wrong with her. They said perhaps it was a stomach bug so they gave her antibiotics and something to settle her stomach.

I had her on a bland diet of rice and chicken with no treats for about 1 week while she was on the meds and she got better. After a while I slowly re-introduced treats and gauged how she did. One day after giving her a treat, the symptoms returned. I took away treats again and two days later she was fine again. I should mention that the only treats she was being given were Canine Carry-Outs Bacon. At the time I did not really think about it being the treats themselves, I thought perhaps her stomach just was not strong enough to handle it yet.

I bought her new milder treats about 1 month ago to try and she does really well on them. No symptoms and her appetite is back to normal. While cleaning this weekend, I came across a bag of the Canine Carry-Outs and I set them off to the side to get rid of. Unfortunately, I forgot to take them out to the trash and my mom gave my dog one as a treat. Almost immediately, my dog got sick again and today she had a seizure. These treats are bad news!

Unfortunately my mother's dog exhibited the same symptoms about 2 weeks after my dog started. My dog got better with medicine and bland food. Sadly my mom's dog did not. Her system was too compromised and we had to make the heartbreaking decision to have her euthanized. I wish we had put two and two together then maybe we could have saved her as well, but the sickness just progressed too quickly in her tiny body. PLEASE do not feed these treats to your dog. If you do, then at least watch for symptoms like this. Our poor dogs went through Hell and one of them had to lose her life because of these stupid bacon strips. Don't lose your fur-babies to this awful company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Big Heart Pet Brands?

Original review: Sept. 16, 2016

Pup-Peroni - DANGER DANGER DANGER. This product contains Garlic Powder which has been addressed as a Poison to our Pets System (all Dogs and Cats). I have lost 2 Shih Tzus due to food poisoning and now I see why. The makers of our Pet's food need to be held accountable.

Original review: March 15, 2016

On Saturday March 12, 2016 my parents' dog woke up having seizures out of the blue after eating Canine Carry Out treats. Sadly Bobo died... On Tuesday March 15, 2016 at around midnight my dog Chance woke up having seizures after consumption of milk bones and gravy train. Both dogs had never had seizures before. It came out of the blue. The only link is Big Heart brands. We took our dog to the emergency vet and he has been sedated to prevent any more seizures. There needs to be a investigation into this immediately!!!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2015

I feed my dog with purina chef Michael's and beneful for 8 years. We tried one time pedigree. He didn't like it. Yesterday we introduce kibbles n bits at noon and the poor dog is sick. Since then he is vomiting even though he didn't eat nothing else.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2015

I cannot solely blame or accuse this brand of treats but I read another review that indicated his dog had a seizure after eating a treat made by Big Heart Pet Brand and that worried me. Our mini pin had 2 seizures yesterday hours apart. I have been giving her canine carry outs steak bites beef flavor dog snacks this week. I am not saying this caused her seizures but this concerns me enough that it should be looked into. Our dog has had seizures before but months apart and we could never pin down what is causing them. It is hard to determine but we will be watching everything she eats including any treats from any company. The last ingredient for this product is onion extract - not good for animals.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2015

We bought a bag of jerky treats made by Big Heart Pet Brands for our healthy 4 year miniature poodle. We normal give her a treat of some sort 3 times a day. Within 5 min of her eating your product she had a full blown seizure. Over the next 2 days she had 5 more. We took her to the vet and learned about the death in a bag you are selling to consumers. Thankfully after we stopped giving her your product the seizures stopped. I hope someone in that company has the decency to pull that product from the shelves. Our dog is like one of our kids and someone should be fired over this. A lot of people are dealing with your dangerous products and some are losing their pets. I assure you, that the word will travel of your wrongdoings and when enough of refuse to buy any product associated with Big Heart Pet Brands, you will feel it in your bottom line.

Big Heart Pet Brands Company Information