1.39/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Big Heart Pet Brands

Looking for a good dog food brand?

49 Big Heart Pet Brands Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 3, 2015

Canine Carry Outs killed my father's dog. It had the runs before she died.

Original review: July 22, 2015

I recently purchased a bag of your dog food to try with my 2 year old puggle who was in perfect health until consuming your dog food. She began eating it on Monday and started vomiting. By Thursday she was still vomiting, was very lethargic and had diarrhea. After taking her to the vet we were made aware of the fact that your company has propylene glycol in its pet products to absorb moisture and that your product almost killed our baby. All of the vet records, the remaining dog food and receipt have been turned over to our attorney who will be in touch. Had our baby died I can tell you for a fact, there are not enough attorneys nor police officers to save whom ever is responsible for this idiotic decision to include this chemical in your products.

Original review: July 11, 2015

I had a 6 year old lab mix named Lucie who died suddenly. She was playing with me the night before, feeling fine. Next morning, she was unable to stand up. The vet recommended that we bring her to Cornell University, as they were the only place that might be able to help her. Sadly, Lucie died at Cornell. They asked us if they could run some tests, as they were unable to determine what had happened. Turns out, she died from "molded grain", which caused a reaction in her brain. Hmmm... have to think the molded grain was from her food since she wasn't prone to chewing or eating random things like many dogs are. Of course, I could not prove this was caused by her Nature's Recipe, but let's just say I would never buy another product from them or recommend it to anyone.

Original review: May 20, 2015

In May 2014 I had a container of Lamb Jerky Treats from Costco sitting on the counter when I packed up some stuff for my dog since there were some wildfires here in San Diego the weeks before. I came home from work one night and found that my 75 lb dog had eaten half the container of the treats. She was bloated but seemed ok. I woke up in the a.m. to a vomiting dog. She had vomited up some blood and a bunch of the pressed jerky treats. She was able to drink water and chicken broth that day but later became very weak, vomited a massive amount of blood clots, and collapsed. I took her to the emergency vet where she stayed for 3 nights and by the 4th day she was still not responding to the transfusions and aggressive treatment. She was suffering so I euthanized her to end her suffering. She had severe anemia and they could not stop the bleeding. The vets did everything they could to save her.

They offered to do a necropsy since they were baffled as to what was going on with her. They said even at her size she should be able to tolerate that amount of treats with some vomiting, diarrhea. IV hydration and supportive treatment should have been all she needed. What they found was a HUGE hole in her stomach lining and a big blood clot in her stomach. All of this due to the jerky treats. I contacted Big Heart Pet Products and they said they were not responsible but sent me a $100 check as a "goodwill gesture" and said they had never heard of this happening before. If I cashed it I gave up all my rights to sue. I highly doubt they send checks to people if they don't think they are responsible. Of course I did not cash it. I was highly offended by what they did. I have found someone else online that had the same experience I did. DO NOT buy the pressed Jerky Treats in the plastic container from Costco.

Original review: April 29, 2015

Kibbles n Bits small breed dog food - I bought this for my small dogs who have an easier time with this than the larger dog food. After about a day they all 3 started to vomit but haven't had anything else to eat. I won't buy this food again. Hate seeing my little dogs sick.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Big Heart Pet Brands?

Original review: April 13, 2015

April 11 2015 - my ten year old boxer Lacunia passed away about ten hours after eating a scooby doo treat - a blue one. About ten minutes after eating the treat, she started foaming at the mouth. I took her to the vet immediately. The vet put her out and looked in her mouth. He said "it looks like she burned her tongue." I said "no way, she hasn't anything hot". I told him about the treat. A friend of mine bring a box of the treats over for lacunia, a unopened box of the scooby doo treats. I have never bought them. The vet sent us home with some pain meds. She did not get better and it was a Saturday. I tried calling the vet back but it was late and he didn't answer.

It was horrible, she died a violent death. She had seizures, violent ones for 9 hours and there was nothing I could do. I took her to the vet after she passed. She was poisoned. He said most likely by the last thing she ate which was that scooby doo treat. We are so heart broken. She was family and very angry about this. We miss her so much. Please please take this stuff off the shelves before this happens again. No one should ever have to go through this. It was horrible. Something needs to be done.

Original review: March 30, 2015

After feeding my small dog Pup-Peroni he became very sick. He had a severe... almost lethal reaction to it. It has required a lot of love, medicine, and money to get him on the road to a what we hope is recovery.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2015

I will no longer, ever, ever, ever spend my hard earned AMERICAN DOLLARS on any product Made in China. China passed the USA as one of the richest countries in the world. WHY?? Because America outsources all their products to be made in China. Well,.... NO MORE for this American. I will now only buy products, that is any product from Dog treats to picture frames, made in the good ole, USA!!! BOO YA! I don't trust China, Japan or ANY of those other countries and I don't want their products in my house. Bye bye Del Monte!

Original review: Dec. 16, 2014

I have 3 cats and the kitten had what everyone said was called "poopy butt." The vet said some cats were born with that problem. I had been using the same cat food for about 3 years. I decide to try Meow mix tender centers. After a few days I noticed the kitten was eating better, and was having normal bowel movements. He no longer is any problems, His little butt is not raw, and he is playing with the other cats. Before, he just would lie around and rest a lot. All the cats like the food, and have gained weight especially the kitten. I am so glad I tried your product. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2014

Please be aware that as of 2014 Del Monte pet food products changed their name to Big Heart Pet Brands. Still Chinese, with the accompanying lack of standards and lack of oversight. Not sure if they are re-branding all of the familiar products or creating 'new' products. But watch out. Big red outline of a heart shape, with four red lines at the top of the heart outline. Also good to know: StarKist is now owned by a South Korean company.

Big Heart Pet Brands Company Information