2.60/5
Based on 10 reviews that contain star ratings

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

13 Avoderm Pet Foods Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 18, 2018

I love Avoderm and am a loyal customer who hopes they will always be available. The revolving grain-free duck and also lamb varieties are enjoyed by my dog interchangeably without any issues. My dog has never had any diarrhea or stomach issues, has great consistent poops, and so has my roommates two dogs since he switched from Blue Wilderness to Avoderm. His dogs poops went from too soft to perfect in a short time. We have three dogs between the two of us...all mixed breeds. My breed is a Shih Poo, his a lab mix, and a dach mix. I've been nothing but thrilled with Avoderm for the eight years I've had my dog on it. Itching has been reduced, appetites good. My roommate adds a bit of chicken broth and/for his dogs depending on their particular needs. But, nothing extra is added to mine for my Shih Poo. My roommate tried ever other expensive brand with issues. No issues since he's been using Avoderm. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

I've been feeding my dogs Avoderm for over 5 years and they have never disappointed. They have a great customer service who is knowledgeable about nutrition. I get many compliments of how healthy my pets are. This brand has high quality ingredients and really like how it delivers on something I trust. In researching more about Avoderm they are made in California, with no ingredients sourced from China. Some of the other brands out there got into some bad recalls when they had contaminated ingredients from China. I'm an avid fan and will continue to feed my pet Avoderm.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

My breeder started my pup with a grocery brand and those products contained lots of fillers. I didn't know what difference a natural premium product could do for my pup's skin, and coat. I switched foods because my pup was experiencing itching, scratching, and hives. I highly recommend this product and will continue to feed my dog this food.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I found worms in my puppy's Grain Free food. This is her 3rd bag and I have another. It's not expired. It was sealed. Kept in a sealed container. I tossed the open bag. Have one more left. I'm too scared to use it. I'm scared to make her sick. Really unhappy with this brand.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

My dog requires grain-free food due to an allergy & seems to prefer this brand to the other grain free variations. I also noticed that it gives him less gas. Blue Buffalo for example, he enjoyed but it gave him lots of indigestion for some reason. I definitely recommend Avoderm for sensitive tummies.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avoderm Pet Foods?

Original review: Oct. 23, 2016

Years ago, we did a taste test with our two toy poodles. We had them try six different canned dog foods that contained fish - AvoDerm was their absolute favorite. This year, my dogs starting having bouts of horrific diarrhea. The two most recent having them end up with just blood coming out. Each time we have taken them to the vet, accruing enormous costs. Most recently, one dog was in such dire straits. We took him to a GI specialist. After blood tests and an ultrasound, they determined the only thing wrong was his food poisoning him. We have since changed their diet - of course plain boiled chicken and rice for awhile, and then to a different brand entirely. Linus is now on ** 25 mg for, quite possibly, the rest of his life - which has to be compounded and costs a staggering $81/month. At this point, we are out over $2000, with an ongoing expense. We are heartbroken and broke. Luckily we still have our dogs.

Original review: April 10, 2016

How can you put avacado in dog food when it is toxic to dogs. It causes kidney failure and I just lost my dog to this. I switched to AvoDerm and her health declined until she finally lost her fight. I tried switching foods but the damage was done.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2015

I have been feeding my dog AvoDerm lamb and rice food for a few years but I am noticing now that she never seems full and poops at least four times a day. I have a new puppy who I also have on AvoDerm. He is a small dog, only eats half a cup a day but he poops so much! I feel that this food doesn't have the nutritional value listed. Also, It seems the large bags just keep getting smaller but the price stays the same.

Original review: June 15, 2015

5/21/2015 We've had our Weims on Avoderm Lamb & Rice since 2000. It's been excellent for the common coat issues of the breed. We just got a new bag of from our mailorder service & our Weim has been sick twice. We got her back on kibble for a day only to have a new bout of diarrhea today. I discovered from our vet these small manufacturers can make formula changes without making packaging changes. I'm not writing this to put down Avoderm, which has been an exceptional product for 15 years, but to share with others our recent problem & now journey to replace it. Best wishes for continued health to your four-legged families.

6/15/2015 As a follow up. After the above incident(s), I contacted Avoderm (aka Breeders Choice) to report the issue. They asked for a 2 cup sample which I promptly sent. I was unable to provide a batch number or best-by date for their evaluation since we keep our dog food supply in an airtight container and dispose of the bag. I've just heard back from them. Strangely enough, their first reply included text of "Sample looked and smelled normal. Microbiological and toxin analysis were found to be within specification. All batches are kept in our plant until the test results come back within specification and negative for any contaminants. We have had no other reported incidents that would lead us to believe there was a batch problem. All other aspects of the sample were found to be normal." The second email sent within minutes of the first eliminated the above information and replaced it with, "We found no contaminants."

First of all, the sample DID look abnormal: my husband & I both noticed how the dog food had a mixture of the standard kibble size & color WITH a smaller darker kibble mixed in at a ratio of about 50% each. We could see it with our own eyes. Secondly, what they wrote in the first email implies an acceptable level of toxins in their analysis. What is an acceptable level of toxins to feed my dog?

I don't intend to slam Avoderm or Breeders Choice, but the mix-up over sending me both the draft of an email and the official email along with an acceptable toxin level in all batches just confirms we did right changing brands. Our Weim seems to be responding well to her new food (no flaking or oily coat). She's now on Purina Pro-Plan (yes, it feels weird to buy something Purina, even a premium Purina product) Sensitive Coat Formula. Her stools are just a bit less compact than on Avoderm but overall a high quality product with Salmon meal & oatmeal.

Original review: June 18, 2013

Recently, we purchase two of the largest bags of AvoDerm from Petco, the same kind we had been using that our Dachshunds loved and thrived on. After the most recent purchase, both dogs suddenly went off their feed. My long hair Standard male's coat went dry and he started to sleep more. This greatly concerned us. He was only one year old. So off to the Vet - there were no problems after much testing. We set bowls of AvoDerm next to bowls of alternate food, which they devoured like starved animals. I'm not happy with wasting $120 while seeming to be risking both my pets' health. I had rated this dissatisfied, but you know what? I am angry about this.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2010

My two Chihuahuas have been on a vegetarian diet for 5 years. First, they were eating PetGuard Vegetarian formula. Then I discovered AvoDerm and was pleased at their glowing coats and overall strong health. I was proud to have my dogs eating such a great diet. I was ordering from Pet Food Direct with no problems. Then I ordered 2 of the largest size bags to save on shipping. Over a period of months, the dogs slowly lost weight. Their coats became dry and sparse. Recently, their ribs, spines and pelvic bones became pronounced and visible and their bellies swelled up. They have no parasites. The final straw was finding one of them wolfing down garbage in my front yard.

Last night, I stopped and bought some Canidae brand food on the way home from work as I investigated and found that it was made in the USA. They ate so hungrily that it was shocking and pathetic. These dogs were starving, although I fed them every day. This was a terrible experience for me.

Original review: July 26, 2010

I bought Avoderm natural dog food from Petco about 3 weeks ago. I keep the sealed bag in one of my closets. A few days ago, I noticed an infestation of moths in my closet. When trying to find the source, I opened the bag of dog food and it was filled with moths. The dog food is the only place the moths could have come from. I have not tried to contact the company and decided to eat the cost of the food and eliminate the moths by myself. I have never had moths and also will never buy anything from this company again.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2008

I raise Great Danes and Cane Corso Mastiffs. I had been feeding AvoDerm Natural Lamb and Rice successfully for 2 years as it worked well with my Danes sensitive stomachs. One day I noticed a change in the color of the food,I thought this was an anomaly so didn't give it much thought. Well, my Danes stomachs noticed a difference. We began getting very loose and horribly odorous stools.

I discontinued that bag and bought another. The new bag had the same rich brown colored kibble that I was accustomed to. All the dogs stomachs settled down. I purchased another bag and again it was a lighter yellowy color. Back came the digestive upset. Over the course of 2 months we had on and off digestive upset as almost every other bag had the yellow colored kibble. Finally ALL the bags started having the yellow colored kibble and my dogs stomachs were always upset. Four months of digestive upset was just too much to handle. I will not go back to this product.

Avoderm Pet Foods Company Information