1.13/5

Need a background check company?

USSearch.com

Need a background check company?

143 USSearch.com Consumer Reviews

Original review: Feb. 27, 2014

Was needing the phone number for an old friend, for an insurance claim. USSearch was the only online service that claimed to have his phone number (when I typed in his name and last known address). So I paid their $2.50 fee, and then learned USSearch not only didn't have his phone number, they didn't even have his full address... just the city info that I had typed in originally! When I requested a refund from their overseas (Asian?) customer service number, I was offered a "free search credit" instead. When I refused that, and reminded them that their website's "preliminary search results" (before I paid) showed a check mark next to the "Phone [number]" column for the person, they reluctantly agreed to the refund, saying it would take a week to 10 days to process. While I am satisfied to get the refund, I don't appreciate being deceived/misled with bait & switch search info. What a waste of time!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2014

I did not ask for any report. I searched my husband's name just out of curiosity. What I found was two people listed as relatives that we have NO RELATION TO! I have checked this information for years off and on and these two people have never been listed before. A phone call to US Search was beyond useless. The manager that I asked to speak to said there was no way of changing the incorrect information. He said that this information was from public records. There are NO public records of any connection with these people. US Search mistakenly put in wrong information. I have managed to find this family on Facebook and have notified them of this incorrect posting on US Search.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2013

I was informed by BoA that they believed three fraudulent charges had been made on my Visa card which was in my desk and used only for one type of purchase from a single vendor over the prior 3 months. On 08/18/13 a charge was made on my account for $45.85 by US Search Services. This charge was not initiated by me. I'm single and live alone.

Original review: July 5, 2013

I had dealings with USSearch on 7-5-13 for a charge of 25 cents on a special. They are now being monitored. I become VERY violent when ** steal my money. I started checking my online bank account several times and the only charge they have placed on my Debit Card is the 25 cents. I am very, very, very careful and use Screengrab from No Nonsense Software. I take a picture of every USSearch page so I have an exact copy of the transaction. I did get most of what I wanted, but they have room for improvement. I have had problems with some other search co.'s but I cancelled the cards and that was that - as my bank will not tolerate Frauds... You people must take a copy of each page, "step by step" when dealing with ANY ONLINE CO.

Original review: May 14, 2013

I went online to do a free people search with this company. I then requested a criminal record check that was listed as an extra charge of $4.50. I got billed for the criminal lookup and unbeknownst to me was billed $49.95 for an annual membership that I did not intend to join. Numerous customers have complained of this deception on Billguard. Be extremely wary of US Search. They will rip you off. Do a Google of Billguard to confirm this.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USSearch.com?

Original review: May 7, 2013

I have never heard of this company and never signed up to search for anyone. Thankfully, I noticed a mystery charge on my credit card statement dated 3/30/2013. I submitted a dispute. From the looks of it, they are a pretty shady company. Good luck to everyone with your disputes. It's no fun to find unauthorized bogus charges. You've got to check your statements. I am lucky to have caught it soon enough so I can dispute this crap.

Original review: April 4, 2013

I decided to background check a friend before I start dating him. It didn't show any problem with his background. To test it, I did it for my ex who had conviction for battery and a doctor whom I knew was arrested for drug. Both you can find by googling, but the US Search report showed none of them. They charge $40 for giving useless info, which is less than free Google.

Original review: March 21, 2013

I used USSearch to check the criminal backgrounds for two people that I know (two for the price of one). I knew from other sources (such as looking at actual justice system records) that they both had criminal records and I wanted to see if there was anything else they'd done that I missed. The reports from USSearch came back empty. That really surprised me because there wasn't even anything about the records that I already knew about. I asked for my money back and was told to pound sand on that as they cannot return my money. They sent me a list of why no hits might have been found, but no items on the list applied. So in the end, it looks like they'll maybe, sort of, try to look up information but cannot return your money if they can't (or won't) do the job. They offered to do a free search, but what good would another useless search do me?

Original review: March 19, 2013

Today, I found a $55.90 charge on my credit card from INT*US SEARCH SERV. I did not sign up for this service, and somehow they got my credit card info. I will be contacting the police and the Attorney General if they do not refund me immediately!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2012

I was promised an asset search within 48 hours. I called to check up on it and they claim they never heard of me. They have no record of the transaction, they can't find me anywhere in their system. They have no intention of returning my money. Yes they did take the money and ran! I am filing a complaint with my bank but because I put this on my debit card, it will be more difficult to reverse the payment. This company is absolutely fraudulent.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2012

Five days ago, I did a background check on a potential tenant and was charged $39.95. The email I received minutes later said the report was in progress. I checked the next day and it's still in progress. Then, I called customer service (call center is based in India), where I spent 45 minutes on the phone with this person, mostly asking him to repeat himself because I couldn't understand him. I asked numerous times to speak with a manager but he said he could take care of my issue. Finally, I demanded to speak with a supervisor and he hung up on me. I called back only to get another person I had a hard time understanding and also said she could resolve my issue only to be on the phone for another one hour plus. She apologized and convinced me I would have my report within 24 hour.

So 24 hours later, I called again to another hard to understand and insisted to speak to a manager. I was on hold for a good 5-10 minutes (they had to call the US) before I had an English-speaking person I could understand. I told him my report number, asked him to reverse my charges and forget the report. I needed it four days ago! After drilling him with questions, he admitted that the call center was in India and the main office where he was is located in California. I let him know how dissatisfied I was with this so-called business and I was going to put up a post on the internet and file a complaint with the BBB. Anyone posting, please file a complaint with the BBB also so this company can get shut down because it is a joke! Poor excuse for a company!

Original review: July 1, 2012

Eight months ago, I took USSearch up on their offer of one day of searching for 99. I looked up one name, and left the site being extremely careful (as I always am) not to sign up for anything. I never gave another thought to the matter until today. Today, I noticed that USSearch has been stealing $19.95 out of my Discover account every month since December of 2011 for a total of $179.55. This flat-out, gob-stopping robbery has led me almost to the verge of livid rage and whenever some side-winding charlatans try their chicanery on me well, you'll see wigs on the green pretty soon.

With exquisite detail, I am reporting USSearch to the Better Business Bureau and I encourage everybody else who has suffered their chiseling to do the same. You can reach the BBB at BBB.org. Go to BBB for Consumers, and click File a Complaint. Persevere, following the directions, and it will eventually take you to the local BBB branch in Southland, CA which handles complaints committed in Culver City, California, where the gang has their hide-out. If many of us report to the BBB, we'll have a greater chance of seeing these bums get what they deserve. Am I right or am I right?

Original review: June 14, 2012

I did two phone number searches for $0.99 each and was billed $19.95 twice. I did not authorize the charges. I called my credit card company to report them and to contest the charges. Very sketchy organization! Crooks!

Original review: May 20, 2012

I had agreed on a $16.95 charge but in reality, it was $56.85. I was not happy at all with the service and I did not agree to being charged $56.85.

Original review: May 10, 2012

On 5/2/2012, I used this company to do a $0.99 reverse telephone look-up to track down the company that had contacted me. On 5/3/2012, I viewed my bank statement to not only discover the $0.99 charge, but also two additional charges of $19.99 each for two other companies (US Search and Identity Protect). I called my bank and found out these were to be monthly recurring charges. I called the number my bank provided and talked to customer service. They indicated they would take the charges off and they did on 5/4/2012.

On 5/10/2012, these charges again appeared on my bank statement. The bank called and asked about them. The bank had also charged a $32.00 overdraft charge on the account. I called the company and got nothing but arrogance until I indicated I would contact the Ohio attorney general with an internet fraud complaint. They agreed to take the charges off after much argument with three individuals, with the third one informing she was “God” and I could get no higher in the company and then hung up on me. I have now contacted the attorney general and filed a fraud complaint.

Original review: May 2, 2012

I signed up for a free report on April 16. Today, I received my credit card statement and have four charges on it, totaling $79.08. I am being charged for something I did not order, but once I entered my credit card number, they took free rein and kept charging me. I intend to contact the Better Business Bureau, among other places. This website must be stopped!

Original review: April 14, 2012

I paid online at their website for two people searches at 95 cents each at USSearch.com and was charged $19.95 each month for monthly subscription. These were unauthorized charges.

Original review: April 13, 2012

I used the USSearch.com people locator service to find a cousin. I authorized a payment of $2.45 . Of course, all of the addresses and phone numbers I received were old disconnected numbers but it is in the fine print that you pay for their search, not the results. My complaint is that I was billed in addition to the $2.45 a $14 charge which is a recurring monthly charge that I did not authorize. I have an email receipt for the $ 2.45 charge but there is never any mention of a recurring monthly charge of $ 14. When I called in to complain within an hour of this transaction, I was assured that the charge was removed. After checking with my credit card company, the charge is still there.

Additionally, they try to say that included in this monthly service is several searches each month that will not be refunded but you will continue to receive benefits until the end of your billing cycle. I received an email from them stating that my account had been closed but I'm still charged. Everything about this company is deceitful. I looked closely at the checkout process because I'm used to low rent companies trying to trick you into clicking on something that you don't want but they are very unethical in their business practices. I suppose you have to be that way when you really have no product. My concern now is my credit card information. Any company that operates like this is a high risk company for identity theft. I would love to see an investigation of this bunch.

Original review: April 11, 2012

Exactly what you'd expect when you check your credit card statement a month later. Oh, I signed up for a monthly service, huh? Being that the services provided were completely useless (I was sent a blank page), and being mysteriously subscribed to their monthly service plan, this business is a total scam. Class action, anyone?

Original review: April 9, 2012

Today, I paid for a background check. When I clicked on "Search Results," all I got was a blank page! When my wife called to complain, the girl who answered the phone refused to help. I also paid extra for the report to be emailed to me. All that was emailed to me was a copy of the order. If this company does not give me my background report, then I want my money refunded ASAP. I’m very disgusted and so sorry that I chose them.

Original review: April 4, 2012

I requested a search and gave full info, including an SSN, birth date, last known location, etc. The report I got was for a different person in a different state at a different age, who was still alive. I later learned that the person I was looking for had died two years ago while carrying his SS card. USSearch should have checked death records instead of giving me false information on a person with the same name. When I complained, they had no explanation and refused to refund my money as they "located a person with that name".

Original review: March 25, 2012

I have a psycho Maria ** who obviously can't take rejection well. As she takes it to the web your page to post me as **. It's not me but has associated me with a whole lot of other people on the web. I have numerous times tried to remove it and it keeps appearing. This web page should have a disclaimer that you can only post yourself not others especially if you have no family ties. All because she does not want me to appear as the wife of her father. She makes list on my name posting people I don't know nor do I wish to associate. Please help me look into this. She even writes under my son's name and we do not have memberships to any of this web pages and when I try to register for free, it says I already have an account. Thank you and hope to hear from someone that can help me. I spent $15 faxing you information so that you can help me undo what this psycho has posted. Get psychos like this off your pages and the internet.

Original review: March 16, 2012

I paid for a one time background search and the web never informed me that I was subscribing and would be charged monthly. I eventually learned that I was being charged $59.95 monthly and was forced to cancel a subscription that I never authorized. I had agreed to pay $19.95 for my original search. When I learned they had been charging me repeatedly, I tried to enter another search and was denied. This is a scam!

Original review: March 6, 2012

I requested to cancel my membership and be credited for the background, membership fees, and social networking checks. I was told that I would only be credited for the social networking and cancellation of my membership. The service they offered is a complete scam. The information provided is vague and ambiguous. Google provides the same information for free! I am requesting a full and total refund of the monies that I have paid and proof of cancellation.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2012

I wanted to use this service one time. But now they keep billing me monthly. They are difficult to contact, slow to respond and are not helpful. Also, their information is not complete. They are a a scam. I hope to be rid of them asap.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2012

This company is a rip off! They will over charge you.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2012

I purchased a background check on a neighbor. This person has had multiple arrest and since 2004, only one showed up. This company, to me is fraudulent. How can the other arrest not show up. I went to the sheriffs office and was able to pull up four more. This site is not worth your time or money. I bet they blame everybody else about not reporting. However, I did not find out about this companies reputation until after I purchased the report and knew something was off. I would not use this company again and I will make it a point to make sure no one else around me will be in the dark.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2012

I paid for $0.95 one-time search but they started billing me for monthly service at $19.95 without authorization. Waiting for (apparently off shore) customer service took a long time and then I was cut off. They "accidentally" hung up, so I had to call back and go through the same long wait again. Finally, I got hold of a person who had "trouble" finding my account. Person agreed to stop monthly billing but would not remove current charge that was levied the day before. I had to complain and ask for a supervisor and then he agreed to remove the current charges. This company is a total scam. They first tricked me into spending the $0.95 by providing information that falsely stated they had the info I was looking for (marriage records for my recently deceased mom). Actual records were for a name that was close, but not the same as they had indicated. Overall a rip-off. Don’t waste your time.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2012

I never did any business with them. They got my debit card number and tried to take money out. First they started with $99 and decreased down to $3 when they couldn’t get the higher amounts out. They attempted this about 7 times. I’m on phone with fraud center and my bank for an hour. Shut this website down!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2012

US Search removed 377.70 dollars from my debit card. They said it would only cost $19.95 per month to use their services. However, they have taken out of my account 23 times, when I used their services once (1) time. I just noticed this. I kept wondering where the money was going. I have the proof as to what they have done. And I would like some kind of reimbursement for this from them. This is a racket. And the government needs to do something about it. They are criminals. This company needs to be checked out. I am not the only one that this has happened to. I see many complaints about this company. Please help me in this situation. Thank you. If you need my proof, please just ask me and I will send you copies.

USSearch.com Company Information