2. Background Check Companies

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.13/5

USSearch.com Reviews

Original review: May 22, 2017

I have used US Search in the past and only once did I ever wonder on their accuracy but never took it any further. I really should have but this last experience was on 5/20/17 when I was helping a friend do a check on someone she met on a dating website I was afraid may be a scammer. We had done some searching on our own for maybe 10 minutes prior to doing an "Advanced Search" through US Search. Glad we did. US Search failed miserably.

It said he had never been divorced and had no criminal record, or Social media contacts to name a few. It was wrong. We easily accessed the state websites for 2 states side by side and found 2 divorces and several contacts with the justice system. One was related to a violation of a domestic order of some sort. Also later I found a Facebook account.

I contacted US Search today 5/22/17 and spoke with "Rose" who argued why they didn't find these things out. She gave me all of a $6.95 refund of the $39.95 I already had paid and said I could have a free search to use in the next years. Hardly a satisfying response for the poor job that was done. I told her I would never use the service again.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2017

I feel that it is false advertising when they make you think they can give you information that you can't get just by doing a google search yourself. After I gave them my credit card the report was wrong the address was wrong. It states that you can get marriage and divorce. It told me the person had never been married. When I called asking for a refund, they told the state does not have public records for these things. I called the town courthouse myself, and was told that anyone can get a copy just not a certified one. I called this place back. All they were willing to do was give me back 6.95 on this. I told them how I felt. It did not matter. Looks like an easy way to scam people out of money because you can't do anything once that credit card is entered.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2016

Green check mark for $39.95 service which shows Marriage/Divorce Records has a small asterisk which when further investigated will show you 14 states in which US Search will not access these records. My state was one of them. After phoning and asking to be passed to a manager, I was refunded $6.95 for the missing data and given two free searches (big deal).

Original review: March 1, 2016

Same as these reviews that I just read. Fortunately, I copied all of their info before paying and read fine print. Information provided was basic, yet I requested more. I called them less than 15 mins after subscribing, free two days is not free. I spent almost 30 minutes on the phone with them. Asked for a complete refund, not just a cancellation of the monthly charges. I did have to argue a bit. I said I would call the BBB and my bank, then suddenly got a confirmation of both the initial "free" fee of $29.95 and the monthly fee of $19.95. ALL very misleading, and like I said, I read ALL of the fine print! They already have the money held in my bank account, so I will have to watch that it does indeed go back.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2016

I subscribed to be able to do a search on a couple of individuals and found that the most public of information was showing as not available even though there are Facebook and Twitter accounts (I even used the more advanced feature of including ages). I wanted a criminal search done to see his background (drugs, sexual predator) since one is around small children. I was told these would only be public, unverified records. I asked the customer service woman to please terminate my subscription and she went into an explanation that it is a 48 hour free trial and on the third day if not cancelled I would be billed. I read the statement from the terms and told her to TERMINATE my subscription. Don't think I had it for more than 30 - 45 minutes. Waste of time and money.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USSearch.com?

Original review: Nov. 28, 2015

This is consistent with every other review on this site about this company. I paid for a search, got zilch, and thought that was the end of it. However, I didn't realize USSearch would continue to bill me 19.95 a month forever. I tried to dispute on my credit card, but it said since ussearch had my card number it was a legitimate transaction. This is pure crazy-talk thus I am a bit confused what to do next. Here's hoping some regulator regulates this guy out of business. And I thought misuse of credit card info was the reason we could dispute transactions? Amazing this is allowed to go on both by consumer protections, and now the credit card companies are complicit. If anyone has advice on my next step, I'd be grateful.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2015

I called USSearch.com customer service department before starting my membership... Asked them several questions about how their site work how many searches I would get with monthly 19.95... I was told unlimited. I asked what kind of results would I get. Was told basic info... So I paid for monthly subscription... What do I find you can't even do a search with USSearch you can only search with some other search site Omnisearch... Did a few searches, did one on my mother, father, sister & myself... Not one of the result from any of the 4 searches was even close to being accurate.

So called customer support back told them my issues with their site... How I did searches on family members of mine and how none of the searches was nowhere near being accurate. Only thing they could say was they recommend me use for a month then cancel my account because they do not do refunds. Keep in mind that I did not have account for a whole hour before I relieved I was not happy...

Original review: Oct. 6, 2015

I entered into Google the name of someone I have not seen for several years just to see if that person was living in this area. I did NOT authorize a search, I did NOT authorize a payment and I did NOT give this company my card information, yet somehow they got my card number and charged me $19.95. How they got my bank information, I do not know. This should be illegal. I'm on the way to my bank now to stop payment and ask them how my information was so easily obtained by these crooks.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2015

Confusing and misleading advertising. Search was inadequate and they tried to stick me on a membership without consent. Luckily bank denied the charges.

Original review: April 13, 2015

Total ripoff. Paid for background checks and results I received were for totally different people than requested. One was for a 43 year old... got results for his 86 year old father. Then next for female and got her son. I called to cancel and made complaint. I did not ask for refund, just wanted them to know I felt ripped off. Their customer service was rude and snippy. Guess they are used to complaints.

USSearch.com Company Information