3.4/5 (272 ratings)

About Stamps.com

Stamps.com is a licensed vendor of the U.S. Postal Service and UPS. It offers on-demand shipping labels with rate discounts of up to 40%. New account holders receive a four-week free trial, free postage and other supplies just for signing up. Postage can be purchased and printed online, and the company sells a variety of shipping supplies with free shipping on select orders. Membership to this service offers significant savings to those who ship packages frequently and would like to cut down on trips to the post office.

Pros

• Enterprise pricing available
  • Introductory perks
  • Rate discounts up to 40%
  • Free trial

Cons

• Limited to USPS and UPS
  • Monthly membership fee

Bottom Line

Stamps.com is a licensed vendor of the Postal Service and UPS. Through these partnerships, it offers shipping rate discounts of up to 40%. A monthly membership costs $17.99 per month, with a free four-week trial for all new customers.

Stamps.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Stamps.com?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Stamps.com?

Original review: Aug. 15, 2021

I signed up for a free account with the trial. 2 months later I see I'm being charged 17.99 a month for the pro package and I've never used the site one time. I called customer service. I explained that I created the account to check them out and never wanted to end up paying a monthly service fee. They wouldn't refund me any of the fees but they canceled my account for me so they said. Here we are 6 month later and I noticed I am still being billed! Don't even make an account with them. The services suck that is why I never used it. Just use your PayPal account shipping. It's cheaper and they don't scam you.

Original review: July 27, 2021

I cancelled my Stamps.com account because I found that I could get the same rates if I print postage through eBay when selling – that's for FREE, no monthly subscription! I'm still waiting on my account balance refund, it's been over 4 months! I was said to get my refund within 4-6 weeks. Terrible company, terrible experience.

Original review: July 26, 2021

I received a mailer around the beginning of June 2021 that looked as though it came from the USPS. It included several blank sheets of self-adhesive stamps, and a bonus of $5.00 of free postage. During the sign-up process, I needed to give them my credit card information and make a purchase. I bought $20.00 worth of postage. Once my account was established, I could print my stamps. I printed 9 first-class stamps on the U.S. Flag stamp blanks, each with a value of 51 cents, a total of $4.59 cents in stamps.

On July 5th, my credit card was hit with a charge of $19.43, for monthly fees and taxes. I discovered this on July 23rd, and immediately cancelled my account. The cancellation process was quick and easy, and after that I had no access to the website to get any documentation of my charges. I received an email informing me that it would take 6 to 8 weeks to receive a check. The day after my cancellation, I received another charge of $11.65, for the partial month of July. They can charge me instantly on my credit card, but I must wait for a check? There may be a business that could benefit from this "Company", but I would urge consumers to never ever fall for this scam.

I have now paid $46.49 for NINE 51 cent stamps. $5.17 PER STAMP. I'll be informing my state Attorney General's office, the USPS fraud division, the California Attorney General, and for all you other victims, I urge you to do the same. Attached are copies the Welcome Letter, and my printed stamps (redacted, as I believe it is unlawful to copy US postage stamps).

Original review: July 17, 2021

Stamps.com sends up "Free" stamps to try their service. Nowhere in the material does it warn you that you're signing up for a monthly membership. You only get notified when your credit card bill comes in. I phoned them immediately and they sent me a refund notice by email, then never gave the refund. My credit card company billed me twice for a service that I never even signed up for. Do not fall for the free stamps scam. You'll regret it.

Original review: July 8, 2021

I signed up for a 1 month trial. It was worthless. They charged my card $19/mo without ever getting authorization to do so. Yes, really without authorization. I looked back and found that they sent an email acknowledging my subscription and deep in that email they said that they would bill me monthly, but that information was not disclosed before I gave them my credit card number and clicked subscribe. Informing me in an after-the-fact boiler plate email is not adequate notification.

Original review: July 8, 2021

I cancelled my Stamps.com account in January 2021 and was told to expect my refund in 6-8 weeks. As of this writing it has been 6 months and no refund has been sent. I contacted them multiple times. Twice I was told that their customer care representative processed the refund incorrectly and it would be reprocessed but I would still have to wait 6-8 weeks. Emails to their customer care department have gone unanswered. Today, after waiting 30 minutes on hold the customer care person hung up on me as soon as I said that I was trying to find out the status of my refund.

Original review: June 23, 2021

Quite a few years ago, I lost $30 to Stamps.com, because they cheated me. I know it's a small amount of money and I'm really lucky I didn't lose hundreds of dollars like some people say they have. It's a scam company! Don't get involved; don't even go to their website. They will steal your money and make it very difficult to be reimbursed. It's a trick - you sign up with your CC for a free trial and then they keep on charging you every month. Very difficult to get them to stop. they are simply thieves. I still hear them advertising on the radio and it makes me angry.

Original review: June 16, 2021

I closed this accounts a year ago. They still kept charging me after telling me was closed I found out and 2 months ago told them the problem and asked them to close account. Found out yesterday was still open. I asked them yesterday to close it and got a notice today. The next day I receive a email. It's still open and now bill is up to 200 for a service I have not used in a year and at that time I first closed it there was no bills owed.

Original review: April 14, 2021

I used the stamps.com service to print postage for one shipment of $9.70. Without my knowledge, they started a subscription for my account and began charging my card $17.99 each month. When I asked for a refund of the subscription fees, they would not give a 100% subscription. All in all, sending the one package cost me over $60. This is a very sleazy business practice. Avoid Stamps.com.

Original review: April 11, 2021

We bought stamps through them because they had stamps from a favorite TV show. We didn't realize we were signing up for a $17.99 subscription. There was no email each month indicating that they would be charging us. 10 months later, we were doing our budget later than usual and it was the most recent charge. I hadn't used them and neither had my spouse. We searched our email for $17.99 and there was the message when we used them once for stamps that said there was a service charge. HUGE WASTE of money. Definitely feels like a scam and a fraud. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY WITH STAMPS.COM. If you need a shipping service, there are others that do not charge a monthly fee and send you an email every time they charge your account.

Original review: April 5, 2021

I've been trying to cancel this service for over a year. They are attempting to charge my card $359.80 for a service I do not use. BEWARE this service. They refuse to cancel and keep charging you. I had to cancel my card and get a new one to force them to stop taking my money after cancelation.

Original review: March 13, 2021

I went to order stamps and after I opened an account I realized it wasn't the service I needed and canceled. I was charge their $17.99 fee without noticed and Pearl was rude and refused to help me until I pushed the subject on why she wouldn't refund me and close the account. She said the charge was valid and nothing she could do, I explained I thought I canceled it and didn't close the account as I didn't know they were going to charge me when I never finished signing up for the service. She said "it's in bold letters when you start the 28 day trial that you will be charged when it ends unless you cancel" I didn't even know I signed up for a trial, I told her I never saw that and I guess I missed it? As I didn't know what she was talking about.

She told me again "the charge is valid" and I said, "So you refuse to help me with this situation, I never used it or intended to after I realized they weren't what I needed and she again said "it's not that I refuse to help, it's the charge is valid". So I asked again if I can get it refunded and close the account, she refused again and I asked again so she went to a supervisor who approved the refund and closed my account. I suggest NOT using them unless absolutely needed because I felt they way she spoke to me made them a poor service company and I never received the email she said they sent me, and I check my email daily so there is no way I could have missed it.

Original review: March 6, 2021

I signed up with stamps.com to receive the $5 free credit which I never used. You need to read the fine print because you are getting charged $17.99 a month just to be enrolled with this online business. I never used their service to buy anything; stamps, labels, nothing! I didn't read the fine print, my fault. It's comparable for example, that eBay would charge you a monthly fee to use Ebay! What company does not show their fees in an upfront manner. Not very many people I would guess read the fine print which is my mistake. Very deceitful company. Just read all the other reviews on this site. Honestly, there could be a class action lawsuit for this type of fraud. I did call and cancel and made them send me an email so I will not get charged again next month.... We'll see.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2021

This company is a rip off. Their customer service is terrible. They will blow you off when you try to get help to cancel an account or get refund for products and services you've never signed up for. Avoid this company like you would covid-19.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

Stamps.com is a total rip off. I could never get the labels to print correctly because the forms they sent didn't match the codes required on their website. I had to print them on blank paper and tape them to the envelope--not very user friendly. But what upsets me most is that I cancelled the account in April 2020 and was told I would receive a refund check for unused postage balance in my account. I even have a back up email saying I would receive a check. I cancelled at the beginning of the month and was still charged for that month because that is their policy.

Today is Feb 19, 2021 and I still haven't received my check. It's only $15.41, but that's not the point. I am on hold with them now as I type this review. Now they are saying they have no record of the email that was sent and are telling me the funds may have posted to the credit card I used when the account was active. I closed my business and that credit card was cancelled long ago. I have been hearing their ads on Fox News (on Alexa) and it upsets me that they are still in business. What can be done about this?

Original review: Feb. 16, 2021

Stamps.com free 28 day trial is misleading and technical glitches are horrible, buyer beware. The company doesn’t notify you before charging your credit card for the $17.99 monthly charge. It is not clear when you sign up for the trial that you will be charged for the 28 day “free” trial period if you don’t cancel. I only thought I would be charged for the months following the free trial if I didn’t cancel.

When my “free” trial started I did a test print before printed the actual label. The test print label is not usable and actually says VOID. The system charged me for the test print, which shouldn’t happen. I spent almost 45 minutes on hold to reach customer service. They wanted me to mail the test print label in order to credit my account the $3.33 I was charged. I asked if I could scan it and email, but they said it had to be mailed. After much back and forth, they agreed to issue a credit to my Stamps.com account.

Multiple times over the next few weeks I tried to print another label and kept getting an message that my account was locked and to contact customer service. The final time was a Friday night and the company is not reachable on weekends. The following week, I attempted repeatedly to contact customer service with messages of long hold times and was unable to reach a person. At this point, I wanted to cancel my account, but there is no way to do this through the website. I discovered they charged my credit card for $17.99. I sent emails and continued to try and reach customer service by phone to cancel my account.

After over 45 minutes on hold one day, I finally reached a customer service person, she was very rude and just kept repeating “just because you don’t use the service, you still have to pay the monthly charge.” I kept explaining my account was locked and I COULD NOT use the service and I had tried repeatedly to reach someone to cancel before the 28 days “free” trial ended. This went on for quite some time, I asked for a supervisor, she said it wasn’t possible. Finally after 20 minutes of getting nowhere with her, she said she was going to put me on hold and message a supervisor. She came back on the line and said they would credit the $17.99 and any un-used postage. I had over $11 in postage, including that $3.33 credit for the test label. She confirmed my account would be closed and no further charges would occur.

Over a month later I had not received any credit or refund and received an email about another charge for a partial month. I called Stamps.com again and there was no record of my previous conversation or refunds I was supposed to get. I was told I would only receive a refund for the un-used postage (not including the $3.33 credit.) At this point I opened a dispute with my credit card company for the $17.99, but most likely will not get a refund for the over $11 in postage. The Better Business Bureau should be investigating this company.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2021

After being with Stamps.com for over 10 years, I closed my account. Too Many Technical issues and problems not being able to communicate the same problems that occur throughout the year. After spending 12 hours on the phone, only to be told it was a USPS problem (not!) I had enough. I closed my account on 2/9/2021, only to get a message that they would be calling me. Rep called me, closed my account. Stated that my next monthly fee would be waived. Received 2 emails, 1 on that they waived the fee and 2nd on $1.80 credit I don't know what for. On 2/10/2021 They charged my credit card $5.09. When I called them, They said they put me on their $4.99 Plan. 25% off postage blah blah. I never heard of a $4.99 plan, is there one out there? If you close your account, watch for charges. They are not cancelling or closing your account, they are putting you on a different plan.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2021

I signed up for their service in 2017 where they charged 34.99 per month; but issued a refund if you spent $500 or more in Priority Mail. #1 - They never issued a credit. Whenever we called; they promised it will be posted to account that it never posted. Then I handed over the account to my employees; who unsurprisingly forgot to follow up for years. Today when I called; as always they couldn't find a single credit. Then I was sent to #2, and then #3 who said they ended the program in July 2018 and since then you are charged flat and no refund. I asked them why I was not sent any communication and the answer was; you had to check your credit card statement. They are running a scam. They MUST be stopped. Some layer should jump in and file a class-action against them and make some money honestly.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2021

I have had a horrible experience with Stamps.com. I tried cancelling my account prior to me being charged, and when I finally received a reply, my free trial had already expired. In addition to that, the reply basically stated - "Sorry, but due to high volume we weren't able to reply within our normal time frame." And that was it. No help. I tried calling Customer Service and it took 45 minutes before someone finally answered. Turned out, my account was in fact cancelled - so my email must have helped. Would have been nice to know before being on the phone for 45 minutes.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2021

I just wanted one stamp because I just need to send one letter and I didn't want to go to the post office. They offer a $5 free balance and what a surprise, their cheapest stamp package (which you have to pay for) is $5.39 which seeing that I'm fine with paying $0.39. But then you find out that the balance isn't applicable for buying that (shocker I know) and to top it all of you have three shipping options $5 shipping which also inst covered by the $5 balance you get or you can pay $17 and it may take just as long as the $5 shipping, or if you're feeling like you really want to waste your money you can waste $50 to get free shipping.

Mind you they also have service fees and if you cancel your account after the trial period is over you still get charged service fees with no mention of this anywhere on the site. To leave you with some perspective I have never written a review for anything in my entire life and this "service" infuriated me so much that I created an account solely to leave this review. Do not give these scammers your money, just go to the post office and buy stamps, it's cheaper and faster and you can drop off your mail while you're there. I see absolutely no reason for anyone to use this service.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2021

They keep billing and billing. Many phone calls and emails. Is this a legitimate business? They put you on hold and never come back to phone. I cannot believe this type of companies exists. I called numerous times and sent many emails. They dont let you cancel. Why this is allowed by authorities. How to give zero stars.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2021

I honestly never ended up needing their "service," which is why I cancelled my account 2 weeks in. I paid the 1st month's charge because that was what I agreed too, but the account was closed in June 2020. Then, randomly, my account was charged $18 in September and October. I called them for a refund (that I did receive, in full), which was an awful process because my account was closed so they couldn't find my information; I eventually just had to give them my debit card number for the refund.

They assured me I wouldn't receive future charges, which was a lie. I was charged again in November. Called again for a refund, was again assured I would not be charged again. I was charged AGAIN in December, and when I called once more, I spoke to someone higher up who said that whoever put things through before didn't process it correctly, so I had been charged. She assured me that I would not be charged again, and that no other account with my information or my husband's information existed. This WOULD be the end of it.

I have been charged again this January, and have just resorted to blocking them through my bank. The $33 is worth not having to basically yell at someone for not following through and/or being awful at their job. DO NOT SIGN UP FOR A STAMPS.COM ACCOUNT. There are other better services out there that won't mess up your account and charge you for 6 months after you've closed your account.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2021

First, I bought their labels but they do not work for Mac. Useless. Then I noticed I was being billed $17.99 for their "service." There is NOTHING on the account page that indicates a monthly charge. There is no email confirming the monthly charge. They bill and hope you don't notice. When I called them out, they quickly offered a free "basic" service. This must happen all the time as they trap more unsuspecting people in a monthly fee. DO NOT give these thieves your credit card. You will regret it.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2021

This company should be called Stamps.CON. After reading other reviews, I see that, unfortunately, my terrible experience with Stamps.com is common. My saga started when I ran out of stamps, and remembered that I had a page of print-at-home stamps I'd received in the mail from Stamps.com. I thought avoiding a trip to the post office sounded good, so I entered my credit card card information to access the service. I then tried printing postage on the trial page of stamps. The template for printing was off, and the free stamps were unusable, but stupidly, I kept trying. I ended up paying $9.90 to print stamps on another page. However, once again, they printed incorrectly, resulting in paid for, but unusable postage.

Frustrated, I gave up on using this service, completed a refund request form, and mailed it with the sheet of misprinted postage. I assumed I'd get a credit for $9.90 in a few months and that would be the end of it. I want to point out the irony of my having to purchase a stamp to request a refund from an online postage provider.???

I was wrong when I assumed the refund request was the end of things. A few weeks later, I saw a charge from Stamps.com for $17.99 on my credit card statement, followed soon after by a second $17.99 charge. I spent an hour on the phone with my credit card company to file a fraud claim because I thought my account info had been stolen. The credit card agent suggested I contact Stamps.com to inquire about the charge since I had used them in the past. Lo and behold, when I looked at my Stamps.com account, I saw that I had been signed up for a free trial that switched to a monthly service (with a $17.99 monthly charge) without my knowledge.

After going through a convoluted process of contacting customer service, I was told they would only refund one of the monthly charges. I was mad, but figured I'd put it behind me, lesson learned. Then, this morning, I received an email from Stamps.com denying my refund request for the misprinted postage. Unbelievable. Using Stamps.CON ended up costing me $28.44, yet I received no product or service, AND I wasted several hours of my life trying to sort things out. This is not a legitimate company - just buy through USPS!!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2020

I signed up hoping it would cost less than the post office to mail items. I didn't see that there was a monthly charge. I cancelled immediately when I saw the charge on my CC since I work for a nonprofit and it would be inappropriate to use funds this way. They then charged me twice and when I called to cancel a very nice woman transferred me to a very rude woman who refused to let me speak or refund the money. So not only was I not credited for 1.5 months of this service that we didn't use, I was also treated very poorly by "customer service". Do yourself a favor and go to the post office.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2020

I used the service for several months. I entered $17.77 as I usually had done, and instead was charged $1,777. This happened on Friday night, they are closed the entire weekend. I called Monday morning. After over an hour of holding, I was told the only way to get my money back was cancel the account and “Wait 5 weeks for a check to be mailed.” Seriously? In today’s technologically advanced world, what company expects anyone to wait weeks for a check? Now they say it will take 6-8 WEEKS! This company should not be in business! RUN, stay away from them!

Original review: Dec. 2, 2020

If you pay for a service, it should work and support should be responsive. That's not the case with Stamps.com. The website is always abysmally slow to use but the final straw was waiting 30 minutes for the label I paid for to generate. Then hit refresh, tried again, after another 10 minutes of waiting, I called customer service, ended up on hold for another 20 (btw all this time the label still didn't generate). But, while I waited I went to Pitney Bowes, signed up for their free trial, printed the labels and everything went smoothly, their website was fast, easy to navigate so of course I promptly hung up on Stamps.com and I. I'm canceling my service with them today and going forward with Pitney Bowes. There are more than enough competitors to choose from so I highly recommend using something other than Stamps.com. Such a terribly run company.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2020

Opened account and bought postage, when I tried to print it said my account was suspended. Attempted to contact customer service several times and they are always closed. When I closed my account since I was unable to use it, their message is they don't refund postage that has been purchased. This company scams people out of their money and doesn't provide the service they promise. Shut yourself down! The worst.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2020

Login problems. Macintosh problems. Labels are not standard size, (3.5 x 5 v. 4 x 5 standard size), so you can't buy them elsewhere, unless you enjoy spending half a day measuring and remeasuring. Their labels cost more. Software update wipes out your info. Then you log in next day, and your info seems to be restored. Then you try to weigh a package, then it says you have to update, sending you in a psycho-spiral (didn't I just do that?!). Then you call them. "Wait time: 10 minutes."

Original review: Nov. 11, 2020

I’m an experienced web user and am not easily fooled. I went to this website to purchase a label to ship a box to my son, but kept running into issues with the site, so I ended up having to go to the post office instead. Next thing I know, I’m being charged $18.72 per month. I don’t recall agreeing to a subscription. Why would I? I mail out a box maybe once a year. I spoke to Mattie in customer service and after checking with a supervisor, they were “nice” enough to stop any further charges and to credit me 1 of 4 charges. Only later did I learn that stamps.com is not USPS, but an authorized vendor. I feel deceived by this whole incident.

Stamps.com Company Information