AnnualCreditReport.com

Compare Credit Report Sites

Research top Credit Report Sites recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

This website is hacked!! Do not use it. When I logged in on June 26, 2017 my antivirus program Detected it was routed to another website by the name of Challenge.Truecredit.Com. It blocked it as a dangerous URL.

I do not recommend using this site. Go to each agency individually to get your scores. This seems to be a scam or a ripoff. I would not recommend using this site. Make it the extra effort and go to each agency individually!!! I will never ever use this site again. It would not even show me my TransUnion score. Just delinquent accounts for TransUnion. I could not get my score!!! I do not recommend this site at all!!!

Logged in to get 3 credit reports to start home buying process and only got Experian, it wouldn't give me Equinox (said I needed to mail in for it). Also the next button wouldn't work for TransUnion. Tried a few ways until I ended up out of that area and couldn't get back. Very user-unfriendly! They don't want to give you want they can charge you for so they make it as difficult as possible. Disgusted.

I am not sure if this is a legitimate site or not. I would NOT recommend using it. Once I entered my private information and followed the directions it said my Credit report was not available online. It gave me an address to mail another request to and asked for personal information again! I am sorry I used this site and will contact the bureaus directly.

Error causes missed reports. 3 reports and scores were expected. Very fine print show up after your request is complete that the credit scores themselves can be viewed additionally as a charge. 7 bucks plus per score. Also, this is a one time view only meaning no back button re-review directly after the original view. All three reports must be viewed without pressing any other buttons within the site even if they pertain to your report or else you will lose the option to view the next report. Once all reports are so called view you're kicked out the system and customer service is nothing more than a mailing address.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AnnualCreditReport.com?

Error Message: Access Denied, Need to call a #. I cannot even access the site. Some condition applies that I need to call a number. I have not even entered any information as to my ID. How can I be denied access to a site without them knowing who I am? I have used them the last 5 years with no issues. What can I do? I do not feel comfortable calling a number and giving up information. There are too many scams out there.

Three members of my household tried to get reports... NO GO. It sits on "Please wait while we verify your identity". Does not go any further. Not sure if the site is having issues or not but, I will personally not use them again. Sorry I could not give a order number as it never completed the orders.

Only got 1 of 3. This appears to be a common problem for many people. Just because "you" got all 3 doesn't mean I entered bad information. In the past I have received all 3 reports without an issue. I have lived in the same place for over 20 years. I am not going to mail sensitive documents to them. If they have bad information, I can't remove it because I can't access it. For some people this site has some real issues and they need to be addressed. And NO! I will not purchase your service.

When I clicked on *Next Report or Finish* after viewing the first report, I got the message, *Logging out will conclude my visit...*. I had checked all three reports but had no option to see the other 2. Why does it say *Next Report* if I have to leave the site *return in order to see the other 2???* Then I clicked the only button available *Tell us about you* & got the error message *Tell us about you is invalid*. I used to create systems like this for a living. This one seems like it's still in beta--or deliberately obfuscated. I went back to the home page & have to fill out the form all over again.

While I would like to give this service the full five-stars that it truly deserves, every year, I have trouble with my Experian reports. The form either times out and will not allow me to resubmit it, it errors and will not allow me to resubmit it, or the identity challenge is entirely incorrect - populating my father's information, not mine. When I look over my personal details, they are only partially mine and partially my fathers - which is how I know that the identity challenge is incorrect. This year, the page was erroring due to my pop-up blocker - but it gave no hint about the source of the error; both the Transunion and Equifax reports did provide a reminder to disable it.

Every year, but this year, I was forced to pay them money, to obtain my credit report. While I can get the report now - a first in nearly 10 years - it doesn't have an option to simply save it as a .PDF, while both the Transunion and Equifax reports do. I paid Experian to get my credit score, whereas I can get my Transunion and Equifax scores from Credit Karma for free. Curious, though, that I can download my report as a .PDF when I'm a paying customer. :/ If Experian stepped up their game to simply match what both Transunion and Equifax have been doing for years, they would have a more favorable view amongst their customers, and the Annual Credit Report system (which rocks!) would receive far more five-star reviews, which it truly deserves. Thanks for reading!

My wife and I go to get our free credit reports from annual credit report site. We always do one every four months for one of the credit reporting companies so we have a look at a credit report throughout the year. We have never had a problem with Equifax or TransUnion but have yet to be able to get the one from Experian. We tried again on Sunday 01/08/2017 and Monday 01/09/2017 to get annual free credit report from Experian, and again received the message "We're Sorry. A condition exists that prevents Experian from being able to accept your request at this time. To obtain your Experian annual credit report, please mail your request to the address below using the Annual Credit Report Request form. Annual Credit Report Request Service P.O. Box 105281 Atlanta, GA 30348-5281." Happens every time so will probably start using Credit Karma since they get a lot better reviews!!!

Went to the ACR site, and had the same experience as most of you. Equifax and TransUnion come up fine, that is after you wade thru all of the b.s. of them trying to sell you programs. But Experian? Same as always with the statement about "a condition exists...blah, blah etc". One of you posed a good point. If the government mandates that the reports are free, then Exp is violating the law. Now I have to go out and spend CASH on envelopes, and stamps, and oh yeah, don't forget that now they get 15 days to process it! What agency should this be reported to? This crap happens every year!

Today I failed to obtain the free annual credit reports from each of the credit companies. It is apparent that they are trying to make it difficult so at the end you have to pay for the reports if really want them. What I mean by difficult is asking you questions like what was the credit card account that you opened in 1993 or what was the year that you open a loan with so and so. If you step out to check the dates, when you come back the forms have expired and cannot be refreshed. Another tab opens asking you to send documents containing sensitive information, i.e., SS# by mail. Your one chance of a free credit report is gone.

After the failed attempt with Experian, Equifax and TransUnion, I went to the AnnualCreditReport.com website to describe what I thought are deceiving practices by these companies. However, the section for contacting them let you write the issues but doesn't go past that and gives an error message. So, here you have deception from the credit companies and also from the company that suppose to facilitate the process and take comments from the consumers.

When requesting TransUnion report, there is an arbitrary error message even though the site clearly recognizes my information before this error: "We are unable to complete your request. What happened: Unfortunately, your request cannot be fulfilled online at this time, based upon the data provided. What to do: To request your Free Annual Credit Report by phone, please call (877) 322-8228. Alternately, to request your Free Annual Credit Report by mail, return to annualcreditreport.com to download the request form."

When you call by phone, you have to talk to a robot that can't comprehend your address; and there is NO POINT in talking to a robot when you can just type the same exact information online. Also, you CAN'T get a human on the phone. Instead of calling, if you click the link to get a request form, it's just an endless loop of more error messages. You can try the "contact form" on the website, but when you click "Tell Us More" to submit the form, just another arbitrary error message appears that you can't get around. You can send a postcard to their address, but it's only for "questions or comments about our online privacy policy and fair information practices", so they'll just throw it out.

Finally, the website instructs you to use the contact information provided with your credit report, but guess what... IF YOU CAN'T GET THE CREDIT REPORT THEN YOU CAN'T ACCESS THIS "CONTACT INFORMATION". The website is impossible to use and is completely useless because all attempts to get a report lead to dead ends with no way to resolve them. If you want, you can waste your time relaying the same information you can type online to a robot, but it can't recognize the information so you might as well relay the information to the closest wall.

Can get 2, but not all 3 of the Reports... And it's this way every year. AND it's the SAME company that won't give me the report. It has nothing to do with Identity verification, because the other 2 come out just fine. It always says that "We're sorry A condition exists that prevents Experian from being able to accept your request at this time. To obtain your Experian annual credit report, please mail your request to the address below using the Annual Credit Report Request form. Annual Credit Report Request Service P.O. Box 105281Atlanta, GA 30348-5281." Or something similar. The reports are not free if you have to MAIL IN a request... Unless paper, stamps, envelopes, etc. have now all become free also...

I'm not sure why so many people had trouble with the site, but I suspect it was from not reading carefully or following instructions or going to a wrong website. I accessed all three of my credit reports, although I had to come back an hour later to do one of the three. I was not asked for payment to receive any of the three reports. I was not asked to receive or order anything by mail. The identity verification questions were not tricky, but I had to read carefully and think through the answers. I was given an opportunity to get my credit score for a payment (and having to join a monthly program) I declined. Overall, not a difficult experience, but I do wish credit scores were mandated as also free.

Just pulled all 3 credit reports from this site. No problems obtaining reports, no issues with the CAPTCHA (though I have had issues on other sites with CAPTCHAS so it's realistic that some people might have problems on this site) although Equifax was a little slow. Here's how this works: Select which agency's reports you want. You will be redirected to that agency's website and asked a bunch of identifying questions (these seem to be drawn from whatever they have in their reports). If a question does not list a CORRECT answer then select NONE/DOES NOT APPLY (that's why that option is there, folks! And yes, this was my answer on several questions! Don't freak out about it!) Assuming the answers are correct, then you will be taken to the report where you can print it or save it in PDF format (good idea, especially if you have to dispute something).

Keep in mind, under the law consumers are only entitled to a free credit REPORT, not a free credit SCORE (I am not defending this, but this is the law as it stands right now). Also there is a phone number in the event someone runs into a problem and needs to call (I can imagine this would be a headache). Sometimes things happen where the report must be sent by snail mail. I had this happen to me years ago with TransUnion (would not recognize my identity), although I had no trouble obtaining the other 2.

Finally, how are people being charged for something through this site without realizing it? At NO time was I ever asked for payment information, although I was offered identity protection as well as access to my credit score. Of course, I already know that only my report is free of charge and that the score is not included with the report. If you are asked for payment information (like a credit card number) you are either at a scam website or the legit website and have selected to receive a service other than your free report.

AnnualCreditReport.com barely works half the time. If the government is going to mandate we're owed one free credit report per year, they should make sure the means of obtaining it actually works. AnnualCreditReport.com is so broken it makes me think the credit agencies are colluding to keep it somewhat broken so that people can't actually get their free credit report.

Two problems currently: The manual request form (PDF) at manualRequestForm.action is corrupted. It will show up fine on your screen but when you try to print it on most major printers, the top section prints as a postscript error. Because the file is invalid / corrupt. So you can't actually request a credit report by mail, unless you have some other way of getting this form. They force you to request reports by mail (which doesn't work! see above) sometimes, for example Equifax's security questions were all bogus and made up. They had nothing to do with my credit history so I answered "none of the above" for all of them, and then they say we can't verify your identity and you'll have to mail in the form (broken) with SS card and driver's license. I tried this twice and both times the questions had nothing to do with any business I've ever heard of.

Total scam! Experian charged my bank account for a credit score and then told me that a score was unavailable for my credit account. I tried using the "Contact Us" form on the website for resolution, but when I hit the submit button, I just get error messages stating it can't submit my request. In addition, I tried calling the 877-322-8228 number also but it's just a recording. There is no way to get to a live person so I can get resolution about my file.

I was able to get my Experian annual credit report, but there were 16 items I had to dispute. When I clicked on the submit button, I got another error message stating it could not submit my disputes at this time. In addition, TransUnion doesn't work at all and won't give me the annual credit report I am entitled to due to bad validation data on their end. What a total waste of time and money! These organizations are taking advantage of consumers and FTC should crack down on them.

I requested all 3 reports for my husband and myself. He got Transunion & Experian. I got Transunion & Equifax online and printed them out. I was told that I would have to send off for the others that did not come through. Needless to say, I was very disturbed since this is supposed to be a government sponsored company and we are entitled to the reports by law. As others have mentioned, the Captcha (excuse the spelling) is horrible and very frustrating. This whole thing needs to be fixed. I was going to send off for the others, but after reading the other reviews about not receiving them after giving out personal info, I have 2nd thoughts. I thought it would be simple, but it is not. Not a happy camper!!!

The feds need to crack down on either the utter incompetence or willful lack of functionality on this site. Experian didn't work due to a technical problem on their end, and Equifax had bad identity verification data. TransUnion worked. Also, you don't get your actual credit scores from this service.

The service did want I expected and I was happy briefly. Two days after and on going for the last couple weeks I receive 2-5 calls a day from IRS scams, telemarketers, and robo calls. I've had this number for three years and am careful on-line where I use it. Wasn't a problem until I used my information here. I've receive three in the last two hours and just had to change my phone number, it's gotten so bad.

So most of the reviewers of this site don't know that it's not really an either or situation here. There is one way to get your free credit report each year that is recommended by Experian, TransUnion, Equifax & the government. It is AnnualCreditReport.com. Other services or sites are set up with the sole purpose of gaining access to that information. Go to Experian, TransUnion & Equifax websites. They won't give you your free report, but will make you go to ACR.com. In 4 years of using this, I have had a problem once and it was with the Experian's portion of the site.

This has to be a scam. Reports by email not available after filling in web forms (a few times because of links purposely designed to force you to start over). Same problem trying to complete written report with instructions that are absurd (make sure letters to not touch outline of boxes to fill in) or misleading. No way to contact anyone at the company - only recorded messages which are not helpful at all. Does anyone know the name of the federal agency that oversees this activity? It is my understanding that the law requires that consumers be able to get a free copy of their credit report once a year.

AnnualCreditReport.com says the consumer will be provided with three free credit reports. This is not true. This company does a bait and switch to get your personal information and then wants credit card information to charge for credit monitoring. Without subscribing to their monitoring service, you can go no further. Called and the representative said I could not access my credit scores. Very deceptive and dishonest. A waste of time and a potential liability.

If I could give this place a rating below a 1 star, I would do so. I used AnnualCreditReport.com to obtain my free yearly credit reports from TransUnion, Equifax, and Experian. I like to have a PDF copy of my reports as they are at least 20+ pages long. I had no trouble with TransUnion and Equifax. When I continued to Experian, however, I received an error message stating that they "could not honor my request". Then I was given instructions on how to mail in a request. I decided, unfortunately too late, to check the reviews on ACR.com and discovered I am not the only customer who was/is extremely dissatisfied with this company. There is absolutely no way or anyone to contact if something goes wrong during your requests for your credit reports.

I ended up calling Experian customer service directly and was informed that I will receive a courtesy report within 7 to 10 days. I was told there was no reason I should have not gotten the copy of my report from ACR and Experian. So we shall see. I do know that I will NEVER again use ACR.com for my annual credit reports. I will contact each company separately and request my copies directly from them. I can't understand why TransUnion, Equifax, and Experian continues to do business with a scam company like ACR.com.

Identification questions are made up, they will ask you questions about made up loans and mortgages to have you call them and sell you a credit report, all of which don't appear on your report once you PAY for it!!! Please, if you are not given your free annual credit report, join in and report them.

I was only trying to help my nephew obtain his credit report for free and the response you get when you apply online is to mail the application. Forget TransUnion, you can't even get to the security questions. At least with Experian and Equifax, it looks like you're making progress and then at the end, AnnualCreditReport.com instruction says to mail. So what is the purpose of the online request???

I submitted all my information to receive an Experian credit report but did NOT receive it, and was instead asked to pay for a report.

I requested my credit report from all 3 bureaus on AnnualCreditReport.com, which is supposedly set up by those credit bureaus. They requested additional information from me, which I sent in. Now all 3 bureaus are requesting the same information from me that I already sent in. So much for AnnualCreditReport.com. I could have done the same thing without them, and had my information quicker. If they were graded on Customer Service and Value they would be closed already. When I sent an inquiry to AnnualCreditReport.com asking why this happened and what happened to the documents I sent in, all I got was confirmation that I had a question. I still have not received an answer from them one month later. In my business we do not get things done by putting them off. Apparently the Credit Reporting Business does. I feel the AnnualCreditReport.com website is a waste of time and effort, it certainly was for me.

Expert Review

Barbara FriedbergPersonal Finance Contributing Editor

Barbara Friedberg, MBA, MS is a former investment portfolio manager with decades of financial experience. Friedberg taught Finance and Investments at several universities. Her work has been featured in U.S. News & World Report, Investopedia, Yahoo!Finance and many more publications.    More about Barbara→

AnnualCreditReport is authorized by Federal law to provide free credit reports to consumers. AnnualCreditReport.com is a highly respected service offering credit and identity theft information.

• Trustworthy: AnnualCreditReport is maintained by Central Source, LLC and is sponsored by the three major credit bureaus: Equifax, Experian and TransUnion.
  • Free: AnnualCreditReport offers access to a free credit report once per year from each of the three credit reporting agencies. It's recommended that consumers get one free report from each agency every four months so individuals can monitor their credit year-round.
  • Consumer advice: AnnualCreditReport offers free advice for consumers about how to avoid identity theft, how to read a credit report and more.
  • Trusted: AnnualCreditReport.com is a highly regarded, non-biased source for free credit reports and related information.
  • Best for All consumers interested in keeping track of their credit profile and learning about identity theft.

Compare Credit Report Sites