1.35/5
Based on 113 reviews that contain star ratings

120 AnnualCreditReport.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

Tried multiple times to just check my 3 reports, but the site keeps bringing up security questions about auto loans, and mortgages that I don’t have. On top of all of that, in order to even access my info they want proof of residence, my pay stubs (which I don’t have, as I’m self employed), and my whole life history. How is this company the national “go to” for all credit reporting agencies, and who did they pay off to get such a designation? This site is utter BS.

Original review: June 17, 2018

I've used this site many years in the past, the one site you can go on and get all three credit reports for free once a year. Seems fair, went on this year though, and it's completely different. I went on to SEE my actual credit scores, I use free monitoring apps from my credit cards or with Credit Karma, but I know those sometimes report lower than your actual score. So I figured okay fine I'll go on to get my three credit reports and just make sure my score is lining up with what these sites say. NOPE. Equifax wouldn't even show me my information telling me I had to fill out a form and mail in all of my personal Identification as proof. Which isn't overly surprising because I've had nothing but issues with them since they had their huge data breaches, but now it makes my life more difficult to do anything with that credit because THEY couldn't keep people's information safe.

Whenever I try to call Equifax on supposed blocks on my credit (which I never put on) they never see what I'm talking about, can't help me. Anyways, I went to see the other two Experian and Transunion and NOPE. Experian says they don't do credit scores. You can pay for a FICO score, Transunion also says you can set up an account and PAY to see your score. Awesome, thanks. Nothing about this services is good anymore. Which is funny to me. It was a federal law they had to provide this information, I get to see my accounts but I can't see my actual score??? When the ACTUAL SCORE is extremely important to credit lenders and banks to get ANYTHING (cars, houses, credit cards, etc). But I, as a consumer, need to pay to see my actual score?? I find that to be ridiculous. Especially since it's MY CREDIT, MY INFORMATION. So don't waste your time. This "free service" is no longer informative unless you'd like to pay them.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Report Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 5, 2018

I filled out twice because they wanted me to mail in all my documents, W2's social number, tax return etc, You kidding me? I tried one more time and I got my report finally but I didn't get my scores. I had to pay extra for my score which I thought it was from all 3 credit bureau but only I was given one. So I upgraded but this is so misleading. I still can't see all my 3 reports and scores in one report. I can only see one score. I paid extra. I then got the message "You are about to view your 3-Bureau Credit Report and FICO scores included as a benefit of your membership. If you click 'Continue' to view, your next 3-Bureau Credit Report and FICO Score will be available in 365 days." I click on it. Refreshed many times and nothing happens. This must be a JOKE! Terrible experience. Wasted all my time and money on this bs.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

When requesting online credit reports that we are promised annually, I was asked to complete a form, which I did. I then proceeded through the screens providing all requested information only to find out that I was not able to get credit scores online. I was asked to print and complete a form to be mailed with a copy of my social security card, drivers license, W-2, etc. What the heck is this? I'm trying to avoid identity theft, not invite it! Sending copies of these items through the mail is NOT something I am going to do. There has to be a way to get the credit reports that we are promised annually, free and online. This is the 21st Century! Unacceptable, deceptive business practice.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

So, I go on-line & answer all the security questions & then see that I can't get the report on-line. 'Sup with that? But, I can mail my request to Atlanta with a copy of my driver's license & 1 other item of ID. Or, if I have the phone number to call, I can request it over the phone. By the way, you have to search for the phone number because it is not readily apparent on-line (877-322-8228). So, I call the number & deal with the automated voice prompts. Since I have only a cell phone, the interview is EXTENSIVE. I complete the call & am told a time frame to expect the report in the mail. THAT WAS OVER ONE MONTH AGO. STILL NO REPORT & NO EXPLANATION. Guess the report is not available by mail either!!! THIS SITE SUCKS!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AnnualCreditReport.com?

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I attempted to pull my credit report to see if there is anything on there I need dispute before applying for a new home. After entering my information I came to the identity verification page (which, by the way, is ** if you have more than one credit card or car loan - how are you supposed to know the information they are asking if they don't specify which account they're referring to?) and then got a message saying that my report wasn't available online. Are you kidding me? That's the whole reason I used your stupid site in the first place. There was a link to fill out a form to request the report through the mail. Besides the fact that this is extremely inconvenient, I don't have the resources or the time to mail in my report only to have it mailed back to me several weeks later. I noticed a customer service number on the form (1-877-322-8228) so I called it, hoping to speak to a live person who could explain why I couldn't get my report online.

Instead it was an entirely automated menu and pressing 0 got me nowhere. So after slamming my phone receiver down, I tried clicking on the Contact Us link, thinking, "OK, I can at least submit an email inquiry and get a response that way." NOPE! They have you fill out a form and leave your comments, then enter your name and address again; but nowhere do they have you provide your email address or phone number. Hmmm, so how exactly am I going to get a response??? You going to mail me a response to my comment??? Ha. What a joke. I am pretty sure I used this site in the past and didn't have a problem but this is just ridiculous.

I noticed a few others had a similar issue when entering their address with the apartment number on line 2 (which also applied in my case) so maybe that's the reason for the glitch, but there is no excuse for the poor customer service or rather, complete lack of any customer service presence whatsoever. So dumb. I'll continue to use Credit Karma to check my scores and report even if the info on there isn't 100% accurate. I'll figure out how to dispute items on my credit report directly with the bureaus because this was pointless.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

If you are a RENTER do not request your file online. Their site is all jacked up. If you put your address correctly but happen to put the apartment number on the second address line (which is correct) guess what happens? It locks you out from requesting your report. I made 2 attempts adding the apartment number on its appropriate line and another attempt without adding the apartment number and they locked me out from requesting my report. I tried after 24 hours thinking it’s a site block to prevent fraudulent activity but it actually just blocked me from entering into my profile. Calling there is not worth it. You have someone from another country that doesn’t know English. This is just ridiculous! I sent emails to "contact us" nobody will help me!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

For having such an essential function your website is very nonfunctional and annoying. Your phone service is also very annoying. It is slow paced. You realize the average American has to work 60-80 hours a week right? Nobody has time for this **. You should be ashamed of your subpar website. There are fan sites for cartoons more functional than this. I wish there was a way to give 0 stars. Really it's pitiful. You obviously have the funding to make a functional site. You all just lack a solid work ethic. It's really disgusting when I think about how much you useless ** get paid to be useless.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

I was notified by my workplace of a potential information breach. I decided to check my annual credit report through this site, as directed through TransUnion, which is recommended on my bank's account holder website. What an odyssey. I requested all 3 reports, but was only able to obtain a report through Experian. Not EVEN the agency that recommended the site. I actually was rerouted and the screen timed out so many times that I actually wondered if the site was a scam. I called the 877 number as recommended and now will get my report in a speedy 3-5 weeks. That should really help me keep on top of any identity theft issues.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I just applied for my free annual credit report from Equifax (the Equifax website redirected me to ACR) through the AnnualCreditReport.com website. I filled in all the information required and hit submit. It indicated that I could not receive the report online and that I had to download forms and mail to a US address. I am retired and living abroad and cannot do this right now. I feel I was scammed into providing this information without them telling me the online report was not available. This would have saved me one of my free reports. This website AnnualCreditReport.com should be shut down. I will NEVER use it again. They are scammers.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

Annualcreditreport.com does not allow saving any of the credit reports. You must log back in to view them; providing another acct and password. So inconvenient. They do not provide a credit score, which everyone must have. Because of Equifax bad business practices must mail in, and provide add'l information. This is a website obviously govt agency has required they provide free credit reports, so they provide as little information as provided. Always wanting you to come back to sign up for some monthly monitoring, or pay for credit report. Scam by the three credit reports.

Original review: June 27, 2017

This website is hacked!! Do not use it. When I logged in on June 26, 2017 my antivirus program Detected it was routed to another website by the name of Challenge.Truecredit.Com. It blocked it as a dangerous URL.

Original review: May 6, 2017

I do not recommend using this site. Go to each agency individually to get your scores. This seems to be a scam or a ripoff. I would not recommend using this site. Make it the extra effort and go to each agency individually!!! I will never ever use this site again. It would not even show me my TransUnion score. Just delinquent accounts for TransUnion. I could not get my score!!! I do not recommend this site at all!!!

Original review: April 12, 2017

Logged in to get 3 credit reports to start home buying process and only got Experian, it wouldn't give me Equinox (said I needed to mail in for it). Also the next button wouldn't work for TransUnion. Tried a few ways until I ended up out of that area and couldn't get back. Very user-unfriendly! They don't want to give you want they can charge you for so they make it as difficult as possible. Disgusted.

Original review: April 4, 2017

I am not sure if this is a legitimate site or not. I would NOT recommend using it. Once I entered my private information and followed the directions it said my Credit report was not available online. It gave me an address to mail another request to and asked for personal information again! I am sorry I used this site and will contact the bureaus directly.

Original review: March 23, 2017

Error causes missed reports. 3 reports and scores were expected. Very fine print show up after your request is complete that the credit scores themselves can be viewed additionally as a charge. 7 bucks plus per score. Also, this is a one time view only meaning no back button re-review directly after the original view. All three reports must be viewed without pressing any other buttons within the site even if they pertain to your report or else you will lose the option to view the next report. Once all reports are so called view you're kicked out the system and customer service is nothing more than a mailing address.

Original review: March 11, 2017

Error Message: Access Denied, Need to call a #. I cannot even access the site. Some condition applies that I need to call a number. I have not even entered any information as to my ID. How can I be denied access to a site without them knowing who I am? I have used them the last 5 years with no issues. What can I do? I do not feel comfortable calling a number and giving up information. There are too many scams out there.

Original review: March 7, 2017

Three members of my household tried to get reports... NO GO. It sits on "Please wait while we verify your identity". Does not go any further. Not sure if the site is having issues or not but, I will personally not use them again.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2017

Only got 1 of 3. This appears to be a common problem for many people. Just because "you" got all 3 doesn't mean I entered bad information. In the past I have received all 3 reports without an issue. I have lived in the same place for over 20 years. I am not going to mail sensitive documents to them. If they have bad information, I can't remove it because I can't access it. For some people this site has some real issues and they need to be addressed. And NO! I will not purchase your service.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2017

I will be reporting them to the Better Business Bureau. They make it IMPOSSIBLE to get a free credit report online as WE ARE ALL entitled to. They ask impossible questions about MY LIFE that even I don't even the answer, know about Mortgage dates, when my bank has changed names sooo many times who knows THAT ANSWER??? And the captcha's are IMPOSSIBLE to read! IS IT A 2 or a snake or a backwards S??? The new captchas are NO BETTER. Ridiculous. I played their game for 2 days online and now I get: you have to request by mail. ABSURD. I tried calling Transunion direct for my report & THEY SAID I HAD TO GO sign up for annualcreditreport.com because Transunion didn't have my birth date and they could only get it from there!!! Ridiculous how they ALL take advantage of us.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2017

When I clicked on *Next Report or Finish* after viewing the first report, I got the message, *Logging out will conclude my visit...*. I had checked all three reports but had no option to see the other 2. Why does it say *Next Report* if I have to leave the site *return in order to see the other 2???* Then I clicked the only button available *Tell us about you* & got the error message *Tell us about you is invalid*. I used to create systems like this for a living. This one seems like it's still in beta--or deliberately obfuscated. I went back to the home page & have to fill out the form all over again.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2017

While I would like to give this service the full five-stars that it truly deserves, every year, I have trouble with my Experian reports. The form either times out and will not allow me to resubmit it, it errors and will not allow me to resubmit it, or the identity challenge is entirely incorrect - populating my father's information, not mine. When I look over my personal details, they are only partially mine and partially my fathers - which is how I know that the identity challenge is incorrect. This year, the page was erroring due to my pop-up blocker - but it gave no hint about the source of the error; both the Transunion and Equifax reports did provide a reminder to disable it.

Every year, but this year, I was forced to pay them money, to obtain my credit report. While I can get the report now - a first in nearly 10 years - it doesn't have an option to simply save it as a .PDF, while both the Transunion and Equifax reports do. I paid Experian to get my credit score, whereas I can get my Transunion and Equifax scores from Credit Karma for free. Curious, though, that I can download my report as a .PDF when I'm a paying customer. :/ If Experian stepped up their game to simply match what both Transunion and Equifax have been doing for years, they would have a more favorable view amongst their customers, and the Annual Credit Report system (which rocks!) would receive far more five-star reviews, which it truly deserves. Thanks for reading!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2017

My wife and I go to get our free credit reports from annual credit report site. We always do one every four months for one of the credit reporting companies so we have a look at a credit report throughout the year. We have never had a problem with Equifax or TransUnion but have yet to be able to get the one from Experian. We tried again on Sunday 01/08/2017 and Monday 01/09/2017 to get annual free credit report from Experian, and again received the message "We're Sorry. A condition exists that prevents Experian from being able to accept your request at this time. To obtain your Experian annual credit report, please mail your request to the address below using the Annual Credit Report Request form. Annual Credit Report Request Service P.O. Box 105281 Atlanta, GA 30348-5281." Happens every time so will probably start using Credit Karma since they get a lot better reviews!!!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2017

Went to the ACR site, and had the same experience as most of you. Equifax and TransUnion come up fine, that is after you wade thru all of the b.s. of them trying to sell you programs. But Experian? Same as always with the statement about "a condition exists...blah, blah etc". One of you posed a good point. If the government mandates that the reports are free, then Exp is violating the law. Now I have to go out and spend CASH on envelopes, and stamps, and oh yeah, don't forget that now they get 15 days to process it! What agency should this be reported to? This crap happens every year!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2017

Today I failed to obtain the free annual credit reports from each of the credit companies. It is apparent that they are trying to make it difficult so at the end you have to pay for the reports if really want them. What I mean by difficult is asking you questions like what was the credit card account that you opened in 1993 or what was the year that you open a loan with so and so. If you step out to check the dates, when you come back the forms have expired and cannot be refreshed. Another tab opens asking you to send documents containing sensitive information, i.e., SS# by mail. Your one chance of a free credit report is gone.

After the failed attempt with Experian, Equifax and TransUnion, I went to the AnnualCreditReport.com website to describe what I thought are deceiving practices by these companies. However, the section for contacting them let you write the issues but doesn't go past that and gives an error message. So, here you have deception from the credit companies and also from the company that suppose to facilitate the process and take comments from the consumers.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2017

When requesting TransUnion report, there is an arbitrary error message even though the site clearly recognizes my information before this error: "We are unable to complete your request. What happened: Unfortunately, your request cannot be fulfilled online at this time, based upon the data provided. What to do: To request your Free Annual Credit Report by phone, please call (877) 322-8228. Alternately, to request your Free Annual Credit Report by mail, return to annualcreditreport.com to download the request form."

When you call by phone, you have to talk to a robot that can't comprehend your address; and there is NO POINT in talking to a robot when you can just type the same exact information online. Also, you CAN'T get a human on the phone. Instead of calling, if you click the link to get a request form, it's just an endless loop of more error messages. You can try the "contact form" on the website, but when you click "Tell Us More" to submit the form, just another arbitrary error message appears that you can't get around. You can send a postcard to their address, but it's only for "questions or comments about our online privacy policy and fair information practices", so they'll just throw it out.

Finally, the website instructs you to use the contact information provided with your credit report, but guess what... IF YOU CAN'T GET THE CREDIT REPORT THEN YOU CAN'T ACCESS THIS "CONTACT INFORMATION". The website is impossible to use and is completely useless because all attempts to get a report lead to dead ends with no way to resolve them. If you want, you can waste your time relaying the same information you can type online to a robot, but it can't recognize the information so you might as well relay the information to the closest wall.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2016

Can get 2, but not all 3 of the Reports... And it's this way every year. AND it's the SAME company that won't give me the report. It has nothing to do with Identity verification, because the other 2 come out just fine. It always says that "We're sorry A condition exists that prevents Experian from being able to accept your request at this time. To obtain your Experian annual credit report, please mail your request to the address below using the Annual Credit Report Request form. Annual Credit Report Request Service P.O. Box 105281Atlanta, GA 30348-5281." Or something similar. The reports are not free if you have to MAIL IN a request... Unless paper, stamps, envelopes, etc. have now all become free also...

Original review: Nov. 11, 2016

I'm not sure why so many people had trouble with the site, but I suspect it was from not reading carefully or following instructions or going to a wrong website. I accessed all three of my credit reports, although I had to come back an hour later to do one of the three. I was not asked for payment to receive any of the three reports. I was not asked to receive or order anything by mail. The identity verification questions were not tricky, but I had to read carefully and think through the answers. I was given an opportunity to get my credit score for a payment (and having to join a monthly program) I declined. Overall, not a difficult experience, but I do wish credit scores were mandated as also free.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2016

Just pulled all 3 credit reports from this site. No problems obtaining reports, no issues with the CAPTCHA (though I have had issues on other sites with CAPTCHAS so it's realistic that some people might have problems on this site) although Equifax was a little slow. Here's how this works: Select which agency's reports you want. You will be redirected to that agency's website and asked a bunch of identifying questions (these seem to be drawn from whatever they have in their reports). If a question does not list a CORRECT answer then select NONE/DOES NOT APPLY (that's why that option is there, folks! And yes, this was my answer on several questions! Don't freak out about it!) Assuming the answers are correct, then you will be taken to the report where you can print it or save it in PDF format (good idea, especially if you have to dispute something).

Keep in mind, under the law consumers are only entitled to a free credit REPORT, not a free credit SCORE (I am not defending this, but this is the law as it stands right now). Also there is a phone number in the event someone runs into a problem and needs to call (I can imagine this would be a headache). Sometimes things happen where the report must be sent by snail mail. I had this happen to me years ago with TransUnion (would not recognize my identity), although I had no trouble obtaining the other 2.

Finally, how are people being charged for something through this site without realizing it? At NO time was I ever asked for payment information, although I was offered identity protection as well as access to my credit score. Of course, I already know that only my report is free of charge and that the score is not included with the report. If you are asked for payment information (like a credit card number) you are either at a scam website or the legit website and have selected to receive a service other than your free report.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2016

AnnualCreditReport.com barely works half the time. If the government is going to mandate we're owed one free credit report per year, they should make sure the means of obtaining it actually works. AnnualCreditReport.com is so broken it makes me think the credit agencies are colluding to keep it somewhat broken so that people can't actually get their free credit report.

Two problems currently: The manual request form (PDF) at manualRequestForm.action is corrupted. It will show up fine on your screen but when you try to print it on most major printers, the top section prints as a postscript error. Because the file is invalid / corrupt. So you can't actually request a credit report by mail, unless you have some other way of getting this form. They force you to request reports by mail (which doesn't work! see above) sometimes, for example Equifax's security questions were all bogus and made up. They had nothing to do with my credit history so I answered "none of the above" for all of them, and then they say we can't verify your identity and you'll have to mail in the form (broken) with SS card and driver's license. I tried this twice and both times the questions had nothing to do with any business I've ever heard of.

AnnualCreditReport.com expert review by Barbara Friedberg

AnnualCreditReport is authorized by Federal law to provide free credit reports to consumers. AnnualCreditReport.com is a highly respected service offering credit and identity theft information.

• Trustworthy: AnnualCreditReport is maintained by Central Source, LLC and is sponsored by the three major credit bureaus: Equifax, Experian and TransUnion.

• Free: AnnualCreditReport offers access to a free credit report once per year from each of the three credit reporting agencies. It's recommended that consumers get one free report from each agency every four months so individuals can monitor their credit year-round.

• Consumer advice: AnnualCreditReport offers free advice for consumers about how to avoid identity theft, how to read a credit report and more.

• Trusted: AnnualCreditReport.com is a highly regarded, non-biased source for free credit reports and related information.

• Best for: All consumers interested in keeping track of their credit profile and learning about identity theft.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg