Continental Tire the Americas is recalling 11,728 Continental and General brand tires sold as original or replacement equipment.
The recalled tires were cured for a time beyond the specification limits.
Tires that are over-cured may develop a break in the sidewall resulting in sudden air loss or a belt edge separation which could lead to a tread/belt loss. Either condition can cause a loss of vehicle control, increasing the risk of a crash.
The recalled tires include:
- ProContact TX P205/55R16 with DOT code 2420 and Mold number 416290
- ProContact TX 215/60R16 with DOT code 3320 and Mold number 419149
- Conti ProContact P215/60R16 with DOT code 2220 and Mold numbers 214574, 214571, 404245, or 214573
- ProContact GX P225/60R17 with DOT code 0120 and Mold number 218037
- CrossContact LX Sport 235/65R18 with DOT code 0220 and Mold numbers 418538 or 415347
- CrossContact LX Sport 245/50R20 with DOT code 2920 and Mold numbers 421921 or 421920
- CrossContact LX Sport 255/50R20 with DOT code 1020 and Mold number 416221
- CrossContact LX20 EcoPlus+ 255/55R20 with DOT code 0220 and Mold number 421238, DOT code 0120 and Mold number 421241, DOT code 0820 and Mold number 421236 or DOT code 0420 and Mold number 421246
- Reliatrek 205/55R16 DOT code 1120 and Mold numbers 419193 or 419442
- Reliatrek HT 275/65R18 with DOT code 0420 and Mold number 421380
- Altimax RT43 225/60R18 with DOT code 2220 and Mold number 409762 or DOT code 2420 and Mold number 409762
- Altimax RT43 235/55R19 with DOT code 1120 and Mold number 415663
- Grabber HTS60 225/75R16 with DOT code 2720 and Mold number 412441
- Grabber HTS60 LT275/70R18 with DOT code 0520 and Mold numbers 413243 or 412872
- Grabber HTS 255/70R17 with DOT code 3020 and Mold number 418570
- Grabber AT2 265/70R16 with DOT code 2820 and Mold numbers 069114 or 075987
- Grabber X3 35 X 12.50R20 with DOT codes 1120 and Mold number 415373 or DOT code 1220 and Mold number 415373
- Grabber HD LT245/75R17 with DOT code 2420 and Mold number 416034
- Grabber A/TX LT275/70R18 with DOT code 2420 and Mold number 417330 or 417331
- Grabber A/TX LT315/70R17 with DOT code 2520 and Mold number 417395
What to do
Continental Tire will notify the owners who purchased the tires as replacement equipment. Various vehicle manufacturers will conduct recalls to cover the original equipment tires.
The tires will be inspected to verify that they are affected, and will be replaced -- as necessary -- free of charge.
The manufacturer has not yet provided a schedule for recall notification. Owners may contact Continental Tire customer service at (888) 799-2168.