Zippy Shell

Zippy Shell Reviews

About Zippy Shell

Zippy Shell is a moving business that offers portable self-storage and moving containers. The company’s approach to moving gives customers flexible options and access to several customizable transportation and storage services. It’s available in 28 states nationally.

Pros & Cons

Pros
  • Storage options
  • Flexible options
  • Three-day loading
Cons
  • Not available nationwide
  • No pricing on website

What is Zippy Shell?

Zippy Shell is a moving company that specializes in portable self-storage and moving container rental. You can choose DIY packing and loading or work with one of its partners for a full-service move. Zippy Shell delivers storage containers on wheels to your home or business, and you can fill them at your own pace before having them transported.

How does Zippy Shell work?

Zippy Shell delivers self-storage moving containers, which you can load and have transported according to your schedule and preferences. The company offers 10- and 15-foot container options — you have up to three days to pack these vessels, which can be stored in Zippy Shell’s climate-controlled storage facility or delivered directly to your destination. The containers are on wheels, which makes them manageable on city streets, sidewalks and driveways.

How much does Zippy Shell cost?

Although Zippy Shell’s website doesn’t list prices, it does state that it requires 50% of your payment two days before delivery (the rest is due after your container lands at the destination warehouse or 31 days after your initial delivery date, whichever comes first). The final price depends on how far you travel, how much you take and when you move. A protection plan is available for all moves.

Zippy Shell FAQ

Where is Zippy Shell available?
Zippy Shell is available in 28 states: Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington and Wisconsin.
Who owns Zippy Shell?
Zippy Shell is part of Virgo Investment Group and has merged with 1-800-PACK-RAT.
Can Zippy Shell deliver to my house?
Yes, Zippy Shell can deliver your belongings immediately to your new home or store them for you.
Does Zippy Shell offer packing services?
No, but it can refer you to local packing experts and coordinate services on your behalf.

Is Zippy Shell worth it?

Zippy Shell is worth it if you need flexible time and storage options for your move. It gives you three days to pack your belongings rather than charging hourly for loading, which can make for a less stressful experience. Its prices are reasonable, but its lack of pricing online makes comparison difficult. Zippy Shell is also available only in select states, so check its website to see if it operates in your area.

Zippy Shell Reviews

Stars Rating

• 1%
  • 3%
  • 1%
  • 0%
  • 94%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zippy Shell?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zippy Shell?
    Customer ServicePrice

Reviewed June 29, 2024

To sum up my experience they are the most unorganized moving company I’ve ever worked with. They started by giving me a quote for 2 containers plus labor. Then they only booked one container. I called them back because I had asked for 2. They then said I could have a 2nd container but I will have to load it or they charge 4000 more than what I was originally quoted. Then they botched the delivery of my first container. The customer service is terrible. No one knows what’s going on. Everyone says something different.

Customer ServiceCoverage

Reviewed May 12, 2024

This company loaded my container, they threw my things inside damaging many things. I had insurance, they denied my claim as loaded incorrectly, I appealed it and then they denied as it was loaded correctly. I ordered the container for a Friday, it didn’t come. When I called they said their truck broke down, it would come on Saturday, it didn’t come Saturday. I called and their second truck broke down. Then on Sunday they sent the wrong container. DONT USE- THIS COMPANY OR RAT PACK.

Get buying tips about Moving Containers and Storage Companies delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Customer ServiceContract & Terms

Reviewed Feb. 23, 2024

We contracted with Zippy Shell/1800 Packrat for 4 containers to be loaded and moved From Texas to California- We were overcharged for $1,000 of additional labor loading 2 of the containers which they did not use (agreement was for 3 hours of labor per container). The form they submitted as documentation had blank areas for start time, stop time, quantity or customer initials. Also they wrapped the steel mesh containers in plastic. All items were filthy dirty as if they were left in a field. And the crew that unloaded the containers (another sub-contractor) complained that they were not really a moving company, they just delivered the good. They stopped repeatedly to call their boss to complain and they still got the job done in far less than 3 hours per container. Save yourself some grief and don't use this company.

Customer ServiceContract & TermsPunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed Feb. 14, 2024

I, the Customer of Zippy Shell, ordered Zippy Shell to deliver a small container to be self-loaded and delivered by Zippy Shell to the final destination. Zippy Shell was obligated, by contract, to weigh the full and empty containers in shipping. Upon arrival at the final destination, Zippy Shell promised a delivery on 21 July. This date changed without notice to 28 July (this was not ASAP as determined by the contract on page 1). Upon arrival, the Zippy Shell driver drove into the home electrical junction and cut power to our house for 4 days (see pictures of damage to electrical wires and burned box). The driver cutting power to the home resulted in approximately $400 of groceries being destroyed due to the power outage.

After the delivery, I contacted Zippy Shell, asking for a copy of my weigh tickets. Zippy Shell had on file that the weighing was supposed to take place. Still, due to a lack of planning, Zippy Shell did not weigh the empty or full container (see attachment identifying that Zippy Shell admitted that they did not consider the container). The weigh tickets are REQUIRED for me to be reimbursed by my employer. The documentation Zippy Shell provided with what they deemed as a possible estimate of my shipment weight was not suitable but also NOT the weight of my shipment.

I contacted Zippy Shell several times after 28 July to work on a solution for the issue of no-weigh tickets, loss of food, and trauma of 4 children under 6 years of age and 2 adults in the heat wave of August. Zippy Shell could not provide a suitable solution for the loss. Their answer was to reimburse for the weigh ticket portion only. I reiterated the requirement of weigh tickets and that the goods moved into my home must be repacked onto a new moving vehicle, driven, weighed, and then subsequently unloaded back into the house.

This requirement resulted in me having to rent a Uhaul ($202.74, see attached), drive 108 miles ($57.85 in gas, 2 hours in time. This is public data based on drop-off location and closest Certified CAT scale location), pay for weighing empty/full ($27.00) and six total additional hours of loading/unloading (required to take an entire day off of work to complete the above tasks, $72.00 per hour at a total of 8 hours). This total equates to $1,263.59 in losses. While admitting fault, Zippy Shell would not provide compensation for a new truck rental or any hired help to load and unload the house (a service that was ultimately not used). I have accepted no payment from Zippy Shell as they FAILED to uphold the second half of the contract.

Update (Feb 13, 2024): it has been 6 months and Zippy Shell has not resolved the situation. Zippy Shell says they spoke to their driver and he claims he hit nothing. Therefore they do not find themselves at fault and are not providing proper compensation. Pictures below show truck backing into the wires. Wires cut. Burn marks on the container. Zippy Shell will not honor claims nor provide customer service to veterans and their families when moving.

Reviewed Jan. 18, 2024

Zippy Shell does not even deserve half a star. We decided to go with them for our move from Wisconsin to Florida. First off, the containers are much smaller than advertised and realistically we had to get rid of stuff so we didn’t have to spend thousands for a third container. On top of that, both containers came outside the time window of when they were supposed to be delivered. These aren’t a huge deal and I could get past them, but getting our stuff has been nothing but a nightmare.

I called zippy shell TWO WEEKS before we were supposed to move into our new house- They claim they only need two day- and scheduled our move. I scheduled it for a weekend and got confirmation via text and email that it was scheduled and ready to go. Three days before we were supposed to get our stuff they changed the date to a Monday and did not even call us to see if we could do that date. When I called they said the movers were “closed on the weekend” which seems nothing short of suspicious. At this point we are still waiting on our stuff and are to the point of either contemplating calling the police for stolen property or getting a lawyer involved. NEVER work with zippy shell.

Reviewed Nov. 12, 2023

We used Zippy Shell when we were trying to move out of state. They can't keep their delivery dates and they do not communicate properly with their warehouse. We had the warehouse try to drop them off 3 times before the date they were actually supposed to be there. Then the day they were supposed to be there, they only dropped one instead of 2 and told us it would be another week before they could get the other one there. Keep in mind, you only get each container for 3 days. We had paid movers to load them. I had to search for and call the CEO to get our container delivered. The containers themselves are just wire cages, the ones you get from PODS are solid.

Another hit against Zippy. We set up delivery of the PODS last week. I have an email saying they won't charge for storage this month since they will be delivered before the renewal date. Guess what they charged me anyway. This company is unorganized and has no idea what they are doing with logistics, which is a major issue for a moving company. Stay far far away. Pay the little extra for PODS. You will be glad you did.

Verified purchase
      Customer ServiceContract & TermsPricePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed Sept. 12, 2023

I had dealt with this company about three years ago, and they did a great job. I moved from PA to El Paso, TX. Two guys picked up my furniture and things, and filled the storage container. They did it. When I requested delivery in TX, two men again, delivered my things to my new apartment, and moved everything in for me, even to the second floor. As I said, a great experience.

So, moving for Florida, of course, I called Zippy Shell again. When the movers got there, I was told all of my things would not fit into the container, that I would need another. I panicked. Living on a fixed income, $3000 more was going to be a big jump, and what was I going to do??? But it was all for naught. There was room left in the container! Why he had to scare me like that, and not wait until the packing was done, was beyond me...

After tipping them handsomely, the movers told me I needed a lock for the container, so I went to the store. When I gave them the lock, they promptly told me that it was the proper lock, it was too small. My brother, who was helping me with my move, reminded me that there were two locks in my son's garage, right inside the door into the garage. Going back out to the garage, a minute or two later, the two locks were gone! We searched the area and could not find them. Now, only four of us were in that garage to move, and two of us did not take the locks. The movers, looking guilty as we questioned them about the locks, all of sudden, said they could CHAIN the container, and use my lock. Keep the keys, they said. They stole those locks!

Until that point, these guys had done a great job, moving furniture from the second floor, wrapping mirrors and small furniture. Again, until the missing locks, I was very pleased. I thought that when the company asked for a review, I would tell them about that situation. So far, I have not gotten that request. The move was to take ten days. About eight days into it, I was notified that my container had just left Texas. I was not happy. So, it was late getting here to Florida. When I called for delivery, nothing was discussed, except the delivery date, and time. As was with the move before, and with the move TO Florida, I assumed that two guys would show up and move everything in for me. However, to my surprise, a trailer showed up with ONE guy, and he is to drop off the container and I, a 66 year-old woman and her ailing, disabled brother, are to unload this ourselves!!!

I was shocked. I said, no, you are to do this. I called the office. The contract says, self-unload. Never assume, but I did. Of course, the MO for the previous contact was always TWO MEN, and THEY MOVE. But not this time. NO help was offered to me. The office did not offer me any assistance, and the driver didn't offer a solution to me, a senior citizen. I was livid. The office told me that the contract I had signed said self-unload. Nothing like that was explained to cited for me, and, as it was their MO in the other moves, I assumed they would be doing the unloading. (There was an email, with a website address, to get paperwork.

However, when I tried to do that, it came up that the papers were filed away and unavailable. I also never received a receipt that they picked up, and never signed anything. The movers said the office would send me a receipt via email, which I never received.) So, he dropped it off, and two friends came over, and we unloaded things ourselves, slowly, the FL heat. This was totally unacceptable.

The problems: I was billed more money on the second of two billings, because, they said, the price of gas went up. I was unaware of such thing. But it did conveniently take away the discount I received when I made the reservation. I was then billed for a storage container??? I have no idea why. I emailed them, and got no reply. The container was NOT locked. So, the two 'movers' who stole the locks, did not even secure my container, as they said they would, with a chain and the lock that I legitimately gave them! It was opened right up. My holding the keys to the lock, well, I guess that was just for show.

I had two boxes that were 'eaten' through. Gross! I had packed a bag of dog food that was delivered a few days before we moved. The bag was still in the box it came in. A nice hole on the side from some sort of animal was evident, as was another hole in a box of toiletry items. That box looked like it was dropped and the seam split. So that was a bit tricky for us to take out of the container. Droppings were noticed on my couch and chair. That was disgusting. A hole is in my couch. It was not there before; it is at the top of the couch. Enough to see the stuffing of the couch is showing. Not happy with that, either.

I cannot describe the anger, the disappointment, the anxiety, the upset that I felt yesterday when the whole move came to a head. It was a nightmare from the start, when I was almost frightened into spending another $3000, to being overcharged for gasoline, charged another $50, had locks stolen from our garage, finding an unsecured container, and the topper, finding out that we had to unload my things. DO NOT use this company. The last move showed me that even if a company is cheaper, you will pay for that in the end.

Verified purchase

Reviewed Sept. 10, 2023

This move was a nightmare, I was initially contracted with Packrat but my long distance move plan changed and that was how I ended up with Zippy Shell. They switched my belongings from packrat container to a shell and I had overflow items and they wanted me to pay additional money for another shell. I felt it wasn’t economical for me to pay thousands of dollars for the overflow and Zippy Shell scheduled for us to come pick up our items. We had driven more than 2 hours and got sticker in traffic and I decided to call their customer service to alert them that I was on my way as scheduled before they told me that I wasn’t on their schedule to pick up and their warehouse wasn’t open that day. I was upset because I had the email confirmation. It took the acts of God to get my items that day.

Now to the delivery, we have items missing, furniture parts missing, scrapes on furniture. The customer service was deplorable because they don’t have answers for anything. Will NEVER use this company nor Packrat because they are sister company. I will not recommend Zippy Shell if you want to keep your sanity. I have moved before but this time around, the emotional roller coaster with the thousands of dollars I paid to both Packrat and Zippy Shell was too painful. Please stay away from them to keep your sanity! Not worth the pain!

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed Sept. 1, 2023

I hired this company for a long moving and I only have complaints about their delivery service. They were very nice and the communication was great to sell me the service and to pick up the unit. After that, everything has been extremely delayed. I was supposed to have expedited service with the unit delivered in 7 days but on day 8 I had not heard from them and when contacted them by phone, they said the delivery was scheduled for a week later!!! How can they lie to customers this way? Now, the guy who contacted me initially and sent me repeated emails to schedule the service doesn't even reply to my messages. I am so disappointed and frustrated with this company and won't use never again!

Customer ServiceSales & MarketingPunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed July 31, 2023

The shell was much smaller than the 7 by 15 by 7 advertised. Original delivery never showed up on the scheduled day and nobody called me to inform me of that. I paid workers $500 for the day and the pod never arrived. I called the company 4 times on the supposed day of delivery and only at 4:30 in the afternoon I was informed that the truck broke down and they will not be showing up. Nobody called me once the delivery arrived in Florida. I had to call myself to find out where my pod was and it turned out that my pod was already at the Florida warehouse for 3 days. When I called to schedule a delivery to my house the representative on the phone refused to tell me a day of delivery until I made a final payment. He would not even give me optional days of delivery until I released payment. He was rude and made me feel as if my possessions were being held hostage by their company until payment was made. I will never ever use them again nor will I ever recommend anyone to use this company.

Zippy Shell Company Information