1.2/5 (19 ratings)

About Zippy Shell

Zippy Shell is a moving business that offers portable self-storage and moving containers. The company’s approach to moving gives customers flexible options and access to several customizable transportation and storage services. It’s available in 28 states nationally.

Pros

• Storage options
  • Flexible options
  • Three-day loading

Cons

• Not available nationwide
  • No pricing on website

Bottom Line

Zippy Shell provides flexible moving services and offers customers a three-day window to load its self-storage containers prior to a move. Its prices aren’t available online, but its DIY and full-service options keep it competitive.

What is Zippy Shell?

Zippy Shell is a moving company that specializes in portable self-storage and moving container rental. You can choose DIY packing and loading or work with one of its partners for a full-service move. Zippy Shell delivers storage containers on wheels to your home or business, and you can fill them at your own pace before having them transported.

How does Zippy Shell work?

Zippy Shell delivers self-storage moving containers, which you can load and have transported according to your schedule and preferences. The company offers 10- and 15-foot container options — you have up to three days to pack these vessels, which can be stored in Zippy Shell’s climate-controlled storage facility or delivered directly to your destination. The containers are on wheels, which makes them manageable on city streets, sidewalks and driveways.

How much does Zippy Shell cost?

Although Zippy Shell’s website doesn’t list prices, it does state that it requires 50% of your payment two days before delivery (the rest is due after your container lands at the destination warehouse or 31 days after your initial delivery date, whichever comes first). The final price depends on how far you travel, how much you take and when you move. A protection plan is available for all moves.

Zippy Shell FAQ

Where is Zippy Shell available?
Zippy Shell is available in 28 states: Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington and Wisconsin.
Who owns Zippy Shell?
Zippy Shell is part of Virgo Investment Group and has merged with 1-800-PACK-RAT.
Can Zippy Shell deliver to my house?
Yes, Zippy Shell can deliver your belongings immediately to your new home or store them for you.
Does Zippy Shell offer packing services?
No, but it can refer you to local packing experts and coordinate services on your behalf.

Is Zippy Shell worth it?

Zippy Shell is worth it if you need flexible time and storage options for your move. It gives you three days to pack your belongings rather than charging hourly for loading, which can make for a less stressful experience. Its prices are reasonable, but its lack of pricing online makes comparison difficult. Zippy Shell is also available only in select states, so check its website to see if it operates in your area.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zippy Shell?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zippy Shell?

Original review: Aug. 9, 2022

Was told that 2 containers would be plenty, but when it was not, they could not give me ANY IDEA of when they could deliver the 3rd container! We had already closed on our home and had to vacate. Numerous phone calls and 3 days later I finally received an email telling me it would be delivered 10 days from my original call. The buyer allowed us to leave in their garage. Now we are in another state living in a motel and they can’t deliver our containers because they held our original containers!! Now we are told that we cannot get our belongings till 10 business days AFTER OUR 3RD CONTAINER WAS FINALLY DELIVERED!!! I cannot give us a date!! This company cannot tell you anything definite when you call! DO NOT CONTRACT WITH THIS COMPANY!!! You have been warned.

Resolution response: July 16, 2022

Spoke with customer service and worked out a reasonable solution. Was impressed by Jessica at customer service for company.

Original review: July 14, 2022

Went with this company for a long distance move from NJ. The sales rep was nice and I felt like I made a great decision. Once the move took place, they delayed my container 2 days and were unapologetic. Charged me erroneous fees for a drop off at my house and storage insurance I never purchased. The unit itself had a busted interior lock when arrived at my moving location and exterior shell lock when it arrived at my destination. They accept no accountability for their errors and their customer service reps act like you are bothering them when you call. Will never suggest this company to anyone sadly.

Get buying tips about Moving Containers and Storage Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 6, 2022

Although the price was a bit lower, the product was not worth it. The delivery date I was given they did not honor. My container showed up 10 days late so I was without my belongings. Every time I called customer service I was on hold for 30 min. I asked for the container to be picked up on a certain date and they left it on my property for a month! Never again.

Original review: June 22, 2022

WORST moving experience!! My girlfriend and I hired them for a long-distance move from PA to NY. The salesperson promised us that the shell will be delivered to our apartment and be unloaded from there, however, after they already charged us the second payment, they said they would have to do a “loose unload” where they unload the shell (while cutting open our lock that we put on the shell) and load it into a truck and then unload the truck again at our apartment. We hired Zippyshell to decrease the amount of unloads we do so our belongings do not break. Zippyshell gave us multiple excuses as to why they had to do the “loose unload” (which was not in the contract we signed) but they did not care. Also, we woke up at 7am to go to the warehouse in LI to unlock the shell for the movers.

If that wasn’t frustrating enough, they took over a week to get us our COI correctly and delivered it on the morning of the move. And as a warning, the customer service department is absolutely useless and will tell you that they put an “urgent” request and still take time to get back to you. The company has been an absolute nightmare while moving and highly recommended that people look elsewhere for long-distance movers.

Original review: June 17, 2022

They have a weight limit listed somewhere in the contract (5000 lbs) but if you go over this limit, as I did, (which is difficult to determine already) You do not have any recourse other than getting a second shipping container or being charged heavy fees for canceling the service. This was my experience, but it was compounded by the fact that I was not told about the fees when I canceled, and surprised by them when they showed up later. Buyer beware.

Original review: June 3, 2022

My wife and I paid Zippy Shell for a long distance move from NJ to NC in May. The experience with the customer service team and management were all horrific to say the least. We were told on the phone by Dio that we would NOT be charged for a storage fee if we had our pods delivered within the first 30 days, our receipt says NO STORAGE – DELIVER ASAP and they still charged us $438 for storage of 2 pods on the day they loaded our things. When we called to ask them to reverse it and to check the voice recorded call, they gave us the runaround again saying they didn’t hear anything on the call and that they couldn’t share the recording with us. It took 17 days from day of load to the day of delivery – 17 days not 30! Not over 30, not at 30 – nowhere even near 30.

Dio rushed my wife off the phone while we were planning the move saying if we didn’t book then and there that we would lose the special price and that he had to run to get his next Covid shot or he would be late. All in the same call that he said we would NOT be charged a storage fee. When asked about that conversation in the call, they said they didn’t hear that either. DID WE MAKE THAT UP TOO? When we asked for a manager – we didn’t a call back until 2 days later at 10pm at night. The “manager” was rude and hasty on the phone and said there is nothing he could do for us we “signed a contract”. The contract says nothing about being charged prior to 30 days and on the receipt it says NO STORAGE in clear English. Not only that, but they damaged our items!

We paid for the loading team and the team that loaded one of our pods loaded it incorrectly and we had multiple damage to expensive furniture. We supplied them with multiple moving blankets, tarps, towels, and cardboard as to not damage anything and they never used any of it. We also supplied them with bungee cords and ratchet straps which were never touched.

Our fireplace was manhandled and not covered with the blankets supplied, our bedroom furniture is all scratched up, there is a rip and a giant oil stain on our couch – oil stain?! From where the pod that was above us? They loaded a metal spiked outdoor tool on top of my ironing board cover and ripped it to shreds. We paid an extra $1000 for them to load our things to have them break, scratch and dented? Our mattress was dirty and disgusting because they literally wrapped our pod in $.99 black wrap from the dollar store. Our pod wasn’t even wrapped correctly. I have photos of everything. I emailed a claim form to the claims department and never received an email saying they received the paperwork. What kind of customer service/experience is this?

The unloading team in NC were sweethearts – they were respectful, kind and unloaded very quickly. Our unloaders were the only good thing about Zippy Shell.

Original review: May 19, 2022

Zippy Shell provided terrible service. They quoted me for 1 shell. When I said I'd like to be quoted for 2 shells, they insisted that 1 would be enough. On the day of our long-distance move, the movers crammed our shell full of our belongings (in a manner that will certainly result in damaged items upon unpacking). At the end, there will still a number of items that would not fit into the shell. I asked what my options were and was told that was "my problem" and they drove off with my things.

When I called ZippyShell and informed them of my issue, they said they could send another shell at full price without movers, but it would take 9 days. I had to be out of my apartment that day. They then offered a second solution for me to pack up my items into a rented van and drive them to a facility to pack them myself. It was the only option I had, so I took it. Not until I already packed the van did ZippyShell tell me it would potentially be 2 days before I could go to the facility and drop off my things. Two Days?! I spent the night in a hotel near the facility and awaited a call from ZippyShell, which never came. I had to call them 5 times and was told they "could not yet confirm a drop-off date and time." I finally asked if they were even connecting with the facility and they admitted that no one had answered. So they weren't 'confirming'... they were stalling!

I asked for the address and drove to the facility myself. Once there, I was quickly offered a shell and packed it with my remaining items in less than 15 minutes. Now, I'm being price gouged by ZippyShell for a second shell that they insisted I didn't need. All while having to rent a van, stay in a hotel, and pack the shell without assistance. They're still "considering my request" for a reduced price based on their mistake(s) throughout this process, but have said it is unlikely. This company is NOT transparent. Their communications are poor. And they're mistreating people during a time of need. I'm extremely disappointed and will NOT recommend them to anyone planning a long-distance move. Terrible service.

Original review: May 16, 2022

Where do I even begin? I guess with this: DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES USE THIS COMPANY. Now for the details — Zippy Shell wasn’t able to provide me an online quote, so I called on March 23, 2022 to book a move beginning April 23, 2022 from PA to TX. The person I spoke with was very kind & helpful. He thoroughly broke out the costs, timelines, sizes of the container, etc. I was given a specific price, told most deliveries happen within 5-7 days of pick up & was assured that the shell I chose could fit a 2-3 bedroom apartment. I signed the agreement & that is where this harrowing saga begins. Unlike other reviews, the shell was delivered on time, however it was MUCH smaller than advertised. I’m not sure what kind of 2-3 bedroom apartment could fit in there, but my 2 BR (where one bedroom was used for an office, no large furniture) did not fit easily.

The loading company barely managed to fit everything in & the shell was picked up on time (4/27/2022). I proceeded with my move, drove from PA to TX & called Zippy Shell about a week after pick up to figure out where my belongings were to help me plan some appointments. The first person I spoke with said my goods were in transit, but when I pressed for where along the transit route, they were unable to give me any specifics. The CSR doubled-down on their refusal to help, so I hung up & called back to get another rep. This happened two more times, with the third rep finally revealing that my shell was still in PA, despite me telling the original sales person that I did not want any storage. My agreement even noted it was for immediate delivery. This is where I began to lose my mind.

I remembered taking a photo of the shell when it was delivered & there was a local PA number, so I called & verified they were local, not the corporate group. When I told the woman my name (it’s kind of unique), she said “Oh yeah, your pod is definitely here. I just saw it yesterday.” She looked up a few things & confirmed it hadn’t even been scheduled for pickup yet. This was a full week after the shell was picked up from my home. The woman took down all my information & assured me that it would get routed to the person responsible for scheduling everything. She also noted that the scheduler typically calls a person back within an hour when it’s marked expedited.

When that call-back never came, I wasn’t surprised at all. I was, however, beginning to get enraged. Every single person at the corporate call center told me my shell was in transit when it had never even departed for its destination. I waited 3 additional days before calling the local person in PA again, at which time she informed me that my shell was scheduled for pickup May 10, 2022. For those keeping track at home, that was nearly 2 weeks after they claimed it would begin moving toward TX.

Once the shell arrived in TX on 5/13/2022, I immediately called to schedule the delivery which included unloaders. They arrived this morning (5/16/2022) WITH AN EMPTY SHELL thinking they were scheduled for a load-in. At this point, a mistake is par for the course on this whole experience, so I didn’t get upset when they told me it only took about half hour to get to my home. No problem that in about an hour, they would return with my shell. Two hours later, I began making calls to figure out what their time frame was. While on the phone with yet another third party that Zippy Shell brings into this existing logistical nightmare, the movers finally showed up.

As the nice little icing on this cake made of excrement, the movers proceeded to damage not one, but MULTIPLE items while right in front of me. A nightstand fell flat onto cement out front off of a dolly, multiple other pieces were banged into walls inside, the siding outside & really any other obstacle possible. A dresser foot was ripped off completely as they set it down and when they didn’t have screws to fix it, they assured me their supervisor would reach out to me, but left before I could verify the number they gave was even right.

After all of this hell, I contacted multiple people involved in the process. The third party responsible for booking the movers told me to contact Zippy Shell for a claim. Calling Zippy Shell got me a PDF form that I have to fill out and send back. But something tells me, I won’t even get a tiny percentage of what my belongings would cost to replace. And that dresser with the foot ripped off is still on its side upstairs as I type this. Who’s going to fix that and pick it up? I hired movers because physically (and this should come as a shock to no one) I can’t pick up a solid wood dresser by myself. I have never seen a company make so many bad decisions so many times, so consistently. There wasn’t a single person I spoke with or interacted with that did the right thing.. ever. Oh and to top it all off, I’m out an additional $700 for “storage” and “fuel subsidies” despite having the exact price in writing.

TL;DR: In case you missed it up top… DO. NOT. EVER. USE. THIS. COMPANY.

Original review: April 26, 2022

This is the worst moving experience I could have imagined. We’ve been in our new Home for three weeks now, 4 weeks from the time they picked up our belongings from our previous home, and have yet to receive our things. They told us 7-10 business days as before our things would arrive so we called on day 9 to check in, as we hadn’t received any updates, and we’re informed that our things were still in Charlotte and that it would be another 7-10 business days before they would arrive in Baltimore. 2 hours later they called and said our things were in Baltimore…ok…The company that they sub-contracted to scheduled to deliver our things last week.

The morning of the delivery we had worked with our neighbors to block three spots in front of our row home, we live in downtown Baltimore, and on their request cleared the back of our alley too. They sat in their truck for almost 30 minutes and then left with no explanation. About 30-45 minutes later, my wife received a call from an agent at Zippy Shell stating that they were going to charge us $750 for a cancellation fee…Not sure what we cancelled so we turned off the card they had on file.

Over the past week we’ve spoke with them at least 5 times refusing to pay their cancellation fee while they’ve held our belongings hostage. We settled on paying $250 because they refused to schedule a delivery until the cancellation matter was settled. Again, very confused here as we never cancelled anything but we would like our things so they win I guess… They were scheduled to deliver our things again this morning between 8-10. We’ve called three times and they had no updates on when the truck would get here. My wife just got a call that there was an issue with the truck and now they won’t be here until tomorrow. Absolute worst moving company I’ve ever worked with and would not recommend anyone waste their time or money on their “service”.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2022

The day of the delivery of the container they didn't show and called to tell me it would be a week plus before they could have one delivered. This cost a ton to book someone else. Avoid at all cost!!

Zippy Shell Company Information