1.0/5 (7 ratings)

About Zippy Shell

Zippy Shell is a moving business that offers portable self-storage and moving containers. The company’s approach to moving gives customers flexible options and access to several customizable transportation and storage services. It’s available in 28 states nationally.

Pros

• Storage options
  • Flexible options
  • Three-day loading

Cons

• Not available nationwide
  • No pricing on website

Bottom Line

Zippy Shell provides flexible moving services and offers customers a three-day window to load its self-storage containers prior to a move. Its prices aren’t available online, but its DIY and full-service options keep it competitive.

What is Zippy Shell?

Zippy Shell is a moving company that specializes in portable self-storage and moving container rental. You can choose DIY packing and loading or work with one of its partners for a full-service move. Zippy Shell delivers storage containers on wheels to your home or business, and you can fill them at your own pace before having them transported.

How does Zippy Shell work?

Zippy Shell delivers self-storage moving containers, which you can load and have transported according to your schedule and preferences. The company offers 10- and 15-foot container options — you have up to three days to pack these vessels, which can be stored in Zippy Shell’s climate-controlled storage facility or delivered directly to your destination. The containers are on wheels, which makes them manageable on city streets, sidewalks and driveways.

How much does Zippy Shell cost?

Although Zippy Shell’s website doesn’t list prices, it does state that it requires 50% of your payment two days before delivery (the rest is due after your container lands at the destination warehouse or 31 days after your initial delivery date, whichever comes first). The final price depends on how far you travel, how much you take and when you move. A protection plan is available for all moves.

Zippy Shell FAQ

Where is Zippy Shell available?
Zippy Shell is available in 28 states: Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington and Wisconsin.
Who owns Zippy Shell?
Zippy Shell is part of Virgo Investment Group and has merged with 1-800-PACK-RAT.
Can Zippy Shell deliver to my house?
Yes, Zippy Shell can deliver your belongings immediately to your new home or store them for you.
Does Zippy Shell offer packing services?
No, but it can refer you to local packing experts and coordinate services on your behalf.

Is Zippy Shell worth it?

Zippy Shell is worth it if you need flexible time and storage options for your move. It gives you three days to pack your belongings rather than charging hourly for loading, which can make for a less stressful experience. Its prices are reasonable, but its lack of pricing online makes comparison difficult. Zippy Shell is also available only in select states, so check its website to see if it operates in your area.

Zippy Shell Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zippy Shell?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zippy Shell?

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

This company ships your stuff to warehouse and then the real game begins. They will not deliver the container from warehouse to your final destination till the end of your contract date. This is intentional delay they put on so finally customer will wait and if he misses that date the company will charge warehouse rental OR be on the mercy of their waiver. This is a not fair business and it has to be reported to consumer complaints for next day strict investigation on what is going on in this company. The only way to reach this company is customer care which takes 30 mins to 1 hr to contact everytime you call.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2021

From the time the driver and loader arrived until this very moment, this has been a HORRIBLE ORDEAL and they just don't care to resolve my issues!!!! They pulled away from my home without finishing to load and I had to make other last minute arrangements to get the remainder of my items transported long distance and now after waiting the 8 BUSINESS DAYS for my items to arrive, I am being told they will not be delivered for another 8 days as they JUST LEFT FOR TRANSPORT. What a joke!!! $3000 worth of stress. Use ANYONE else to move your stuff to avoid issues.

Get buying tips about Moving Containers and Storage Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2021

When I called initially back in June to schedule my move, I told them I had a 3-bedroom home. They did not relay that one cage is for a “3-room home” or maybe she didn’t get what I was saying. But when they arrived on July 29th, the cage was NOT big enough. So they couldn’t take all of my things. They also couldn’t send a second cage same day.

I managed to FINALLY get in touch with customer service after literally having waited on hold twice for over an hour, they were apologetic and said they’d schedule a follow-up cage right away. That was inconvenient, but fine. I asked that someone call me and let me know when they’d be there because I was not in the state where my things were in storage and would need to make arrangements. They not only sent someone without clearly contacting me, they did it twice while I was hours away. I finally called the local office and scheduled a time with them. I was told Wed the 11th of Aug at 10am. It’s a 4-hour drive to meet them for me and a second day off of work, but I got here. They didn’t get to me until 4pm, and I still had to drive back home and go to work the next day. When I say I will never use them again, I mean NEVER. The customer service has been subpar at best.

Original review: July 30, 2021

I originally thought they were just incompetent. But I now think they purposefully and systematically take on work that they cannot actually do. Because once you've signed the contract and paid the money, there's not a whole lot you can do while they hold your stuff hostage. I employed them for their pod/shipping container services for a cross country move, 3000 miles from TN to Seattle. I also paid them to arrange the labor of loading and unloading the pod as well. Everything went wrong. At every stage. The people didn't show up when they were suppose too. The labor refused to tie down my belongings, even with my own tie downs. They were suppose to supply a lock if you didn't have one--they did not. But these are all minor complaints. Frankly, if they had done the job, even with the eye-rolling bumbling, I wouldn't have spent my spare time writing a review. But they have not done the job.

I am now in month #2 without my belongings. Three weeks ago, they emailed to say my things were in a warehouse in Seattle. But they didn't have to labor to bring/unload it. They gave me a 2 week runaround when I tried to arrange to come and get it myself (not a special request--this is a service they offer). They tired me out with this runaround, which included a lot of "my dog ate my homework" excuses like, "the forklift is broken, so we can't pull your things down." (A warehouse. Whose sole job is warehousing, had a broken forklift for days on end?) Anyway. I finally agreed to a later delivery. Because they wore me down. They then called me the day of delivery---after I had already been waiting 3 hours--and told me my things were still in Nashville. What?? After 3 weeks of emails and phone calls, it turns out my things weren't even here?

Then, the next day, I got an automated email saying, "congratulations, your things have arrived!" The pod traveled 3000 miles in 25 hours? But when I call the general help line, I'm told "oh no, they are here. I called the warehouse myself! Oh...but we can't give you a date yet. We're still working that out." All of these contradictory statements (your stuff has arrived!, no actually, everything is still in the original city; no actually they are here!...But we can't tell you when we will deliver them.)...cannot all be true.

It is pretty clear to me that some of the things I've been told are intentional mistruths, intended to buy them time. For what purpose, I do not know. But all you need to know is that you do not want to deal with this company. Not for one second. Anyone but them. If your only other option is renting a truck and driving your own things across the country...do that. This company isn't just incompetent. They are unethical. It might even be a complete scam. Because, through all of this, they have continued to charge me 250 a month in storage fees.

Original review: July 14, 2021

My experience with Zippy Shell has been horrendous. Their customer service in my opinion is the worst when and if you can reach them. Erin ** the sales person was in my opinion deceptive at best when explaining their contract. Wouldn’t recommend them to my enemy. Pick anyone else. When you do speak to customer service they are exceptionally confrontational.

Original review: June 30, 2021

I rarely write reviews but my experience with Zippy Shell made me feel obligated to warn other movers. I hired Zippy Shell for a long distance move and also had them book me movers to load the moving container. On the day of my move, I waited for the movers during the designated arrival time but had not heard from them so I called and was told there was a forklift problem in the warehouse and that I could expect them in the next hour. Two and a half hours later, they had still not arrived nor had they called so once again I called the movers and while on the phone with them someone from Zippy Shell called to tell me the movers truck "broke down" (I've now seen this excuse in other bad reviews) and they would not be coming.

I was told that I would not be able to have movers come again until 5 days later and 3 days after I needed to be out of my apartment and that the most Zippy Shell could do was provide a $200 discount due to the "short notice". After speaking with multiple people at Zippy Shell, no one was able to find a suitable solution for me to be out of my apartment by the end of the month and as a result I had to take the rest of the afternoon off of work to frantically call movers around the city in hopes someone could move me on extremely short notice. I spoke with over 15 moving companies and found one who took pity on my situation and said the only availability they could provide was for that night.

As a result, I moved forward with the new moving company knowing I needed to be out of my apartment. Due to Zippy Shell company policy, I was told that my movers would not be able to drop my belongings at their facility that night due a 48 hour notice policy at their warehouse (mind you their movers cancelled on me and they were still not able to make an exception). Since this was my absolute only option to get movers to me, I had no other option but to have the new movers take all my things to my parent's garage where everything is now haphazardly stacked. By the time the entire ordeal was over it was after 1am and I had to pay a large amount of money for last minute movers.

Zippy Shell customer service was incredibly unhelpful, had no back-up plans in place (they kept telling me that the truck breaking down was an "unforeseen circumstance" but as a moving company you need to have contingency plans in place) and the $200 discount was a slap in the face for the chaos that ensued and the amount of money I had to pay to get new movers. I had just lost close to $1,000 finding last minute movers and felt it was fair that Zippy Shell at least meet me in the middle and provide an additional credit and they wouldn't even entertain the idea of providing more money. It was very clear that they didn't care about the customer experience (especially after asking to speak with multiple supervisors and being told that a supervisor wouldn't be able to help).

The irony is when I was shopping around for movers, I decided not to go to PODS because they were more expensive and now I've cancelled my order with Zippy Shell and will be moving forward with PODS. After telling PODS the story, they seemed completely unsurprised and basically said they tried to warn me this would happen. Lesson learned: spend the extra money and go with PODS! I could not recommend Zippy Shell any less.

Original review: March 31, 2021

We were mislead to believe that they would provide an actual pod for storage. What they provide is a metal cage inside a box truck. The cage is removed from the truck and stored. All of your stuff is fully exposed during storage.

Zippy Shell Company Information