About Zippy Shell

Zippy Shell is a moving business that offers portable self-storage and moving containers. The company’s approach to moving gives customers flexible options and access to several customizable transportation and storage services. It’s available in 28 states nationally.

Pros

• Storage options
  • Flexible options
  • Three-day loading

Cons

• Not available nationwide
  • No pricing on website

Bottom Line

Zippy Shell provides flexible moving services and offers customers a three-day window to load its self-storage containers prior to a move. Its prices aren’t available online, but its DIY and full-service options keep it competitive.

What is Zippy Shell?

Zippy Shell is a moving company that specializes in portable self-storage and moving container rental. You can choose DIY packing and loading or work with one of its partners for a full-service move. Zippy Shell delivers storage containers on wheels to your home or business, and you can fill them at your own pace before having them transported.

How does Zippy Shell work?

Zippy Shell delivers self-storage moving containers, which you can load and have transported according to your schedule and preferences. The company offers 10- and 15-foot container options — you have up to three days to pack these vessels, which can be stored in Zippy Shell’s climate-controlled storage facility or delivered directly to your destination. The containers are on wheels, which makes them manageable on city streets, sidewalks and driveways.

How much does Zippy Shell cost?

Although Zippy Shell’s website doesn’t list prices, it does state that it requires 50% of your payment two days before delivery (the rest is due after your container lands at the destination warehouse or 31 days after your initial delivery date, whichever comes first). The final price depends on how far you travel, how much you take and when you move. A protection plan is available for all moves.

Zippy Shell FAQ

Where is Zippy Shell available?
Zippy Shell is available in 28 states: Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington and Wisconsin.
Who owns Zippy Shell?
Zippy Shell is part of Virgo Investment Group and has merged with 1-800-PACK-RAT.
Can Zippy Shell deliver to my house?
Yes, Zippy Shell can deliver your belongings immediately to your new home or store them for you.
Does Zippy Shell offer packing services?
No, but it can refer you to local packing experts and coordinate services on your behalf.

Is Zippy Shell worth it?

Zippy Shell is worth it if you need flexible time and storage options for your move. It gives you three days to pack your belongings rather than charging hourly for loading, which can make for a less stressful experience. Its prices are reasonable, but its lack of pricing online makes comparison difficult. Zippy Shell is also available only in select states, so check its website to see if it operates in your area.

Zippy Shell Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zippy Shell?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zippy Shell?

Original review: July 14, 2021

My experience with Zippy Shell has been horrendous. Their customer service in my opinion is the worst when and if you can reach them. Erin ** the sales person was in my opinion deceptive at best when explaining their contract. Wouldn’t recommend them to my enemy. Pick anyone else. When you do speak to customer service they are exceptionally confrontational.

Original review: June 30, 2021

I rarely write reviews but my experience with Zippy Shell made me feel obligated to warn other movers. I hired Zippy Shell for a long distance move and also had them book me movers to load the moving container. On the day of my move, I waited for the movers during the designated arrival time but had not heard from them so I called and was told there was a forklift problem in the warehouse and that I could expect them in the next hour. Two and a half hours later, they had still not arrived nor had they called so once again I called the movers and while on the phone with them someone from Zippy Shell called to tell me the movers truck "broke down" (I've now seen this excuse in other bad reviews) and they would not be coming.

I was told that I would not be able to have movers come again until 5 days later and 3 days after I needed to be out of my apartment and that the most Zippy Shell could do was provide a $200 discount due to the "short notice". After speaking with multiple people at Zippy Shell, no one was able to find a suitable solution for me to be out of my apartment by the end of the month and as a result I had to take the rest of the afternoon off of work to frantically call movers around the city in hopes someone could move me on extremely short notice. I spoke with over 15 moving companies and found one who took pity on my situation and said the only availability they could provide was for that night.

As a result, I moved forward with the new moving company knowing I needed to be out of my apartment. Due to Zippy Shell company policy, I was told that my movers would not be able to drop my belongings at their facility that night due a 48 hour notice policy at their warehouse (mind you their movers cancelled on me and they were still not able to make an exception). Since this was my absolute only option to get movers to me, I had no other option but to have the new movers take all my things to my parent's garage where everything is now haphazardly stacked. By the time the entire ordeal was over it was after 1am and I had to pay a large amount of money for last minute movers.

Zippy Shell customer service was incredibly unhelpful, had no back-up plans in place (they kept telling me that the truck breaking down was an "unforeseen circumstance" but as a moving company you need to have contingency plans in place) and the $200 discount was a slap in the face for the chaos that ensued and the amount of money I had to pay to get new movers. I had just lost close to $1,000 finding last minute movers and felt it was fair that Zippy Shell at least meet me in the middle and provide an additional credit and they wouldn't even entertain the idea of providing more money. It was very clear that they didn't care about the customer experience (especially after asking to speak with multiple supervisors and being told that a supervisor wouldn't be able to help).

The irony is when I was shopping around for movers, I decided not to go to PODS because they were more expensive and now I've cancelled my order with Zippy Shell and will be moving forward with PODS. After telling PODS the story, they seemed completely unsurprised and basically said they tried to warn me this would happen. Lesson learned: spend the extra money and go with PODS! I could not recommend Zippy Shell any less.

Get buying tips about Moving Containers and Storage Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 31, 2021

We were mislead to believe that they would provide an actual pod for storage. What they provide is a metal cage inside a box truck. The cage is removed from the truck and stored. All of your stuff is fully exposed during storage.

Zippy Shell Company Information