How to do a Washington change of address

Author pictureAuthor picture
Author picture
Written by
Author picture
Edited by

Where are you moving to?

lake in washington surrounded by trees near a mountain

Whenever you move, it's essential to update your address with the relevant government agencies and service providers. This ensures you continue receiving important documents and services at your new location.

The process of changing your address typically involves updating your driver's license and vehicle registration information, but specifics can vary significantly by state. To help out, we’ve gathered some details for the change-of-address process in Washington.

Key insights

File your change of address within 10 days of your move to Washington.

Jump to insight

New and current residents can file a change of address online.

Jump to insight

Register your vehicle in Washington within 30 days of your move.

Jump to insight

It’s $20 to update your driver’s license in Washington.

Jump to insight

Preparing for your change of address

Before beginning the process of changing your address, it's important to have everything you need to avoid any delays or complications. Make sure you know both your old and new addresses, and plan to file your change of address within 10 days of your move.

» READ: Best moving companies

If you’re moving to Washington from another state

New Washington residents can file online within 10 days of their move.

You also need to update your driver’s license within 30 days. To update your ID, no driving test is required as long as you have at least a 30-day driving record, are over 18 and have a valid ID from one of the following:

  • Another U.S. state
  • Washington, D.C.
  • A U.S. territory
  • British Columbia (Class 5 only)
  • Germany
  • South Korea

If you own a vehicle, you’ll also have to register it within 30 days of your move.

If you’re moving within Washington

Current Washington residents can also simply file online. Just make sure to file within 10 days of your move.

» COMPARE: Best local movers

If you’re moving from Washington to another state

If you’re moving away from Washington and have a vehicle, you'll need to cancel or transfer your vehicle registration to your new state of residence and follow its specific procedures.

You can keep, recycle or return your old plates to the Department of Licensing:

Department of Licensing
1125 Washington St. SE
Olympia, WA 98504

Where are you moving to?


Do I need to update my driver’s license address if I’m moving within Washington?

Yes, you must update your driver’s license within 10 days of your move.

Can I change my address in Washington online, or do I need to visit in person?

Whether you’re a new or existing resident, you can file your change of address online.

What documents do I need for a change of address in Washington?

To update your address in Washington, you’ll need your new and old address. You might need proof of your new address, though the Department of Licensing is unclear on the particular documents required. You’ll also need vehicle information if you’re updating your car’s registration.

Is there a fee to change my address in Washington?

There’s no fee for updating an address, but there is a $20 fee for an updated driver’s license, plus registration fees.

Do I need to update my voter registration when I move?

When you move, especially to a different district or state, you need to update your voter registration to reflect your new address. This ensures you can vote in local elections that affect your new community and that you're assigned to the correct polling place.

Do I need to update my insurance policies when I move?

Yes, you need to update your insurance when you move. Moving can affect your insurance policies, including auto, homeowners, renters and health coverage. For all insurance updates, it's best to contact your insurance providers directly to inform them of your move and discuss any necessary changes to your policies. This ensures continuous coverage and that your policies reflect your current needs and location.

Where else do I need to change my address?

Make sure to change your address with the Postal Service, even if your move is temporary. Also take the time to update your address with any subscription services and financial institutions.

Bottom line

Updating your address when you move ensures you remain compliant with state laws and continue receiving essential services and documents.

Be sure to check the specific requirements and procedures for changing the address on your driver's license and vehicle registration by visiting Washington’s Department of Licensing website or visiting in person. This will help you navigate the process smoothly and avoid any potential delays or penalties.

Article sources
ConsumerAffairs writers primarily rely on government data, industry experts and original research from other reputable publications to inform their work. Specific sources for this article include:
  1. Washington State Department of Licensing, “License eXpress: Account and services.” Accessed April 24, 2024.
Did you find this article helpful? |
Share this article